• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Oct 28, 2003
8.5

1. Dec 28, 2011
    Strange thing is: This game had a user rating of about 8.8- 9.2 some months ago! If you look at the reviews you will notice that written reviews are almost all very positive. But there seem to be many people who dislike the game but didnt't tell us why. And believe me: these negative ratings were not there half a year ago. My personal conclusion is: THE RATING IS MANIPULATED by haters/ other developers etc... This makes me sad because Gothic and Gothic II are masterpieces of game experience and one of my favourite games of all time! Collapse
  2. Jan 9, 2012
    Can someone explain why nobody who gave a negative rating, could be arsed to actually write a review? Few words at least? Care to explain why hate it so much? No? I suppose those are trolls and probably multi-accounts, and not real players. This game is brilliant and deserves 9/10 (but i give 10 to counter those trolls), its one of best RPGs i've played, even to this day, and a big part of my childhood. Expand
  3. Mar 25, 2011
    This is really an amazing continuation of the first Gothic game. It has pretty much everything what Gothic 1 had plus many improvements. The graphics look better now. Fighting is similar yet got some technical improvements which make it even more enjoyable now. The world is bigger, and the areas we get to explore are really interesting to see. We even get back to the colony from the first Gothic, although much has changed there. What I complained about in my review for Gothic 1, is also fixed here. I mean, side quests. With each chapter we will encounter new side quests. Overall there are many in game. Also, the game is more difficult than Gothic 1, especially if we also have Gothic 2: Night of the Raven expansion. This expansion is really worth the money, because it not only adds whole new world to explore, but also makes the game more difficult. Also, changes and adds stuff to the original world from Gothic 2, too. Gothic 2 + Gothic 2: NOTR expansion make the most awesome RPG ever made in my opinion. The storyline is still linear yet we still make some choices here and there. Yet again we get to pick which faction we join, and this affects the game more than it did in the first Gothic game. Even the NPCs will treat us differently. We get to choose between the monastery of fire magicians, mercenaries, and town militia. Further in the game we advance to higher rank, depending which faction we chose. Story line is still amazing and I don't have much more to say to it. Music is better than in the previous game. Not a single bad word I can say to it. If I was reviewing Gothic 2 alone, I would give it 9, but together with G2: NOTR they make purely epic game which is almost flawless. Sometimes we can encounter some bugs but really rarely. We were able to forge weapons in Gothic 1 but in Gothic 2 now we can learn to forge various types of swords. We are able to learn alchemy and brew potions, too. We even need to create runes as a mage in order to be able to use new spells. Let me do a summary.

Pros:
    -Everything that was in first Gothic 1, plus many fixes and improvements to the game.

Cons:
    -Linear storyline.
  4. Jul 16, 2012
    One of the best RPGs I've ever played. First time I tried it I was so mesmerized by this stunning game that I couldn't stop playing. The atmosphere is just amazing. Fairly interesting story, but the most rewarding was the exploration, in whatever order YOU desired. And no level scaling, thank god! I wish more games would let you play the game as you feel like. There are several factions in the game which means you can play the game several times and not get bored. As for the negative review; this player seems to be one of the casual players of the CoD era that wants directions and pointers showing exactly where to go at all times, in my opinion that is what's boring... Expand
  5. Jun 23, 2012
    Looks like all of the negative scores don't have any reviews, so I'll be brave and post the first one. Only tried the game out recently and was hoping it'd be an improvement over the first Gothic. As a matter of fact, there were some improvements. The controls are a bit better now and aren't as tricky as in the first game. Also the story carries on from the first right away and I generally thought that the music and the atmosphere were as good as in the first one. However, nothing else had improved. In fact, in terms of pacing it got even worse. Much worse. Now you're thrust right into a huge city without any direction as to what to do. Or in fact, you are told to go and do x, y, and z. However, when you try to find out how to get those tasks done, the game just shrugs and tells you to find it out by yourself. Now this is incredibly boring. Do I have to go around and talk to every NPC in the city in a hope that at least one of them can tell me something useful? I understand open gameplay and all, but it still needs some direction. If the game isn't going to bother to captivate and immerse me, then why should I continue to plough on, hoping that eventually it would get interesting? It's just incredibly slow paced. If you are someone who wants to get right into the game and do interesting stuff, then I'd avoid Gothic 2 for sure. Now I've still got Gothic 3 left. I'm just hoping at least that would be an improvement over 1 and 2. Expand
  6. Apr 24, 2012
    One of my favorite games of all time. The wonderfully crafted world had a living feel to it which was years ahead of it's time. With everyone fallowing a daily routine which included even recreational activities. The island world really felt like it could have existed in some world at some time, not artificially constructed like many game environments do.
  7. May 18, 2011
    My personal, all-time favorite RPG. The nostalgia goggles will never come off on this one, and I would pay anything to experience this game again like it was the first time. I could go on for hours about this game... the music (oh god the music!), gameplay, characters, story... it all fits together so perfectly. Buy this game and name your children after NPCs.
  8. Nov 7, 2011
    This is my first RPG played and still the most rewarding gaming experience that i did.Deep and awesome storyline,awesome graphic( for 2003) and a big world to explore.Surely the best Gothic!!!
  9. May 30, 2012
    Story:
    The story may seem simple but this is just the outline about how an island wrapped up in a desperate war, while dealing poverty and danger all around them. Learning about the people's lives and what is going on is the best part of the game. It wraps up nicely into fitting with story and not divorced from it. The story does a excellent job linking Gothic 1 and 3 together with
    everything making more sense.

Game play:
    Game play is an open world third person RPG with real time combat. NPC will have schedules in what they do or when they sleep. Monsters will have behavior patterns where they wander around, will investigate and eat corpses, and take a fighting stances to ward you off rather then be a constant predator. Quests are long and detailed with many different ways to complete them. You will have huge environments to explore and scavenge in order to survive the 6 chapters you play and will be traveling back and forth between locations and this can sometimes be boring after awhile. Later on,You will get access to teleporters that will take you to certain locations. It may seem annoying not to teleport to wherever you want but it keeps it so exploration is risky and dangerous. The environments will change in each chapter and people will have new quests. You can expect to die a lot as you learn from your mistakes but they are not unfair as you will learn to foresee them. The game play is awkward at first but it works well as you get use to it. Combat focuses on Kitting, which means isolating your enemy and/or keeping your distance while hitting them away from their reach with magic and arrows. Fighting monsters in the game means you have to learn their attack patterns and back off to avoid their attacks as you can't block their attacks. Magic and arrows will always kill humans while swords will incapacitate them temporarily if they are NPC's. You can block human's attacks but they are much stronger then monsters and more likely to kill you if you get hit due to their high weapon abilities. It is possible to fight enemies even at level 1 but it takes a lot of work. If you can kill an enemy at the distance the better you will be especially if it with groups or monsters that attack in groups. At first you will not be able to handle groups of monsters and barely handle a goblin but after while you will especially when you will be facing groups of enemies in chapter 2. Humans and any opponent that uses weapons should always best fought one on one to avoid dying. The game will continuously get harder as you go along so the game will always be a challenge.

To level up in this game you must fight monsters, knock out or kill humans, complete quests, perform stunt bonuses, pickpocket people. The amount of experience you need will increase to large amounts making it important to think about where you will place your learning points. When you level up you get 10 learning points to spend on trainers to level up your skills and stats. These trainers can be any NPC that has a name so you should talk to everyone.The game has it's fair amount of bugs an glitches though they are small Sound:
    The sound in this game is quiet good. From the sound of foots steps to the natural ambiance of the world. It all pulls you into the atmosphere of the game. Even the music is good. There are not a lot of songs in the game so it can be tiring to listen to after while but they fit the mood of the game well. They are memorable. The acting in the game is pretty good with everyone sounding like a real person and not overacting. Unfortunately, for the size of the game, you will hear many of the same actors over and over again with some minor variations in tone. Never the less, the same voices being heard repeatedly won't hurt the enjoyment of the game. Graphics:
    The graphics in the game are quiet good. All textures are very detailed with real color tones unlike most modern game. Even the fog and the sun shine adds to the atmosphere of making the game to look almost like a painting. The graphics despite coming out in 2002 still stand the test of time in being pleasant on the eyes and looking good at high resolutions. The game can be played in 4:3 and 16: 10 resolutions. You can go into the ini file to edit in 16:9 resolution but it glitches were every time you die, it turns into stretch mode which can be cured by talking to someone or maybe by interacting with an object.

Conclusion: Overall I would recommend this game to anyone that likes RPG's and wants to experience something different. You can buy this game DRM free at GOG for $10 or get the entire Gothic trilogy for $25 on GamerGate
  10. Jun 11, 2012
    One of the best rpgs ever , an awesome sequel to first part. It has full and living world for exploration a decent amount of different areas. Killing epic monsters ,while listening to epic soundtrack. A very nice armor designs. Many different characters to meet most of them give a lasting impression.Lots of weapons.Also book looking books that can be read. Also have crafting.Logical loot (no more pants taken from wolves mister).And most important lots of hours of fun. (Yes there are monsters which can't be beaten from get go in this game but it makes it fun ) , (while in some other rpgs enemies are just same code lvling up with you to make game challenging). Story is never experienced so first handed as in this game , a must for any true rpg fan.( And whats up with all the negatives? probably this is just anti-gothic campaign initiated by some bigger company, which can't be disturbed to make a good game of their own.) Gothic 2 is how RPGs should be made. Expand
  11. Aug 25, 2012
    This is one of the best (if not the best) single-character fantasy-RPG. It may be a little difficult to get started, but it's very immersive and rewarding. The NPCs and the game-world is very good designed.
    What I don't understand is, how these negative critics without a text are even possible. I first tried to do it without a text, but it wasn't possible (Error: Review requires text).
    Very strange. Expand
  12. Dec 30, 2012
    best rpg after gothic I, i cant understand why people rate this game so negative - i think it must be casuals than play more games from ea/activsion, thats the reason.
  13. Jun 30, 2013
    This is my all time favorite game of all genres, it's simple epic. It just has everything one good RPG should have (maybe even more on top of it :P) fantastic world with good textures (for year game was realised in) and yet again textures don't make game, story does!!! Interesting NPCs that are going to stay with you even few year after playing game, engaging story (which is not flat-ended as most new games (especially RPGs) *shame*), 3 different communities to join with 3 different classes. Choices that actually matters, different quests (not just "go kill something, loot it and bring it to me" but quests that have multiple ways of ending and quests that require interacting with other NPCs and that will affect your relations with other NPCs) hours of playing (my first gameplay took me 150 h, thought I've done it all *silly me*, but even after 5th gameplay I find out some new things *What more can you want?*) I can go for hours lol and if original story and multiple endings weren't enough from you, there a lot of mods for it (apart from official add-on Night of the Raven which i highly recommend to everyone!)
    I just don't understand from where all these negative reviews come from... those guys either wasn't ready for all that Gothic has to give or they thought... I don't know i can't find one thing to verify their acts.
    All they say is "oh they let me in the big city saying do x, y and z and now i'm supposed to talk with everyone just to find out what to do" no! we'll serve you everything on a plate! That's what makes this game funny- learning about what's going on in the world you're in!!!
    "oh, games too hard" that's because it hardcore not something you play now-a-days! And it's because of story from G1 who played- knows!! One more thing if it's too hard for you just try Heights of Power mod...
    "oh controls are to hard" oh really?! that the point you're thrown into the game you need to SURVIVE in it! Back in G1 it took me half an hour to find out how to pick stuff from a chest! That was fun! That and not when you get a full manual about game!
    "oh combat is too hard" maybe because it not "hack'n'slash" or "smash that button" but it's tactical and pretty engaging...
    "quests fell just like running around..." or maybe you like just to kill and not do something for you fellows convicts!
    this wasn't so much of a review it was more of a defending my favorite game from corruptive people and companies!
    Hope that this will have influence on someone who will buy this game and enjoy it forever!
    Take care fellows Gothic lovers!
  14. Jul 2, 2013
    Gothic II is the best game i have ever played It is a true RPG The graphics are not the best although there are some mods that can be installed that make the graphics better The game-play is good at first its kinda hard to get used to the combat system but after 10 minutes you get used to it The story is one of the best game stories out there it is not linear you have a lot choices to make like joining a faction doing some side quests and so on The story gets even better with the Night of the raven patch The sounds are great the music is wonderful There are a ton of different characters I love it and its better than a lot of other RPGs for instance skyrim its the new elder scrolls game A lot of people like skyrim how ever i think and this is my opinion i don't like skyrim it holds your hand throughout the whole game and its too easy it has a compass that shows you where to go tips every 2 seconds and so on How ever in Gothic 2 for example a guy tells you to go north of the city near a tower you buy a map it shows you the city and tower and you go there or you can ask a citizen our a guard how can you go to the tower and he tells you or you can just walk somewhere until you see a tower It does not hold your hand but you don't need to go on the internet every 10 seconds to see how to solve something because you can find everything in the game its a wonderful game and i suggest to everyone to buy it and play it Expand
  15. Jul 30, 2013
    Gothic 2 is the best RPG i played. Excellent graphics for its time, the atmosphere, but in this game, everything is fine. The game draws on many days, you do not meet corny generated quests that ask you to give something to another person, but even if they meet, before it will tell a beautiful story, sent to the destination (man and then find a place for yourself, it's not like Skyrim, where everything is marked on the map), and then again, some will turn, in general, is not trivial quests, excellent simulation of life: people go to sleep at night, doing their own thing during the day, evening, resting or getting drunk at the tavern and go to sleep. Men, who are 24/7 u in one place you will not find, except the guards, but they work like that. Expand
  16. Apr 10, 2011
    This game is so good the music the style the gameplay the world everything is beautiful,immersive,exciting and full of dangers and adventures.The world is huge but beautifuly crafted the music just fits every time.I must say i developed a close relationship with some npc's in the game like Lee or Wolf who are just great fellows in the game.This game is good on every front and i suggest even now in 2011 to play it.You won't regret trust me. Expand
  17. Mar 1, 2011
    I haven't play better rpg game than gothic..belive me i have played many rpgs but only gothic was so good that i passed the game more than 50 times i got all gothic games and i love them and i play them all the day......................
  18. Jul 6, 2011
    Maybe the best RPG ever created for PC. Amezing World, Characters, Story and Gameplay. Gothic2 shows all RPG´s of today , how a great Game should be. Must have!
  19. Sep 23, 2012
    One of the best RPG's ever been made. I've played the game in the last 10 years determined 20 times. The atmosphere there is simply unmatched today.
  20. Mar 22, 2011
    Simply the greatest RPG ever made. It's rare to find a game with as much soul and personality as this. The characters, setting, story of gothic 1+2, are memorable even 5 years after playing the game. If you stick past the initial difficulty and learning curve you'll be infinitely rewarded
  21. May 27, 2011
    Open world RPG masterpiece. One of the best RPGs ever created. Story is really epic, world and characters are so realistic for a fantasy game. Three totally different paths you can take. And game is hard, you need to master your skills, both your character in game and you as a player. Epic is the only word that can describe Gothic 2.
  22. Sep 4, 2011
    The best Gothic game[my favorite RPG series], very good graphics, long and addictive story. Many kind weapons.

Boring fight system, and too much bugs.

9,5/10
  23. Aug 24, 2011
    the gothic series is one of my favorite franchises and this one is easily the best of the bunch the game has an interesting story that can suck you right in the world map is really well done it has many details this game also contains a dlc pack named night of the raven which adds a lot to the game, a new world map included where the player can explore the ancient city of Jharkendar

overall this is one of the best RPGs i have ever played
  24. Nov 11, 2011
    After getting bored with Skyrim after just a few hours, I reinstalled this game and gonna have a lot of fun with it again. One of the best RPG's out there. Bit dated graphics but the gameplay makes a game, not the textures.
  25. Mar 21, 2012
    This is the best game ever, and is even better with Night of The Raven. I have played this game at least 10 times and loves every part of it. Its a perfect mix of amount of linearity and open world. Really good combat, story, dialogs, consequenses of choices, AI, the world is beautiful and lively and the music is fantastic. Choices are not black or white, but something in between or in the eyes of the beholder. No level-scaling, thank you for that! Exploring are interesting and rewarding and the game is extremely involving and engaging (you may forget your wife and your job when playing). That is the only negative thing to say about this game;-) Expand
  26. May 21, 2012
    The second part of Gothic. With a better graphic, a deeper story and the add-on 'Night of the Raven', this game make all things right. The atmosphere is perfect, the characters have their own life and the details around the world are amazing. If you like the first part, you'll love GII.
  27. Dec 9, 2013
    Gothic 2 is my favourite game of all times. It's just how a RPG should be like. There has never been an atmosphere in any other game like in Gothic 2, it's not as colorful as most modern RPGs but has more natural darker colors which underline the more "realistic" setting. The story is great too: It has some interesting heights and very very few lows. The graphics are outdated today but this is part of the charm of G2! Clear purchasing recommendation! Expand
  28. Nov 6, 2012
    Gothic II is really interesting position in every RPG fan collection. Yes, it can be difficult for new players mainly because of controls, but overall rating is still very, very high. Good storyline, quite big, open world and the borders of playable space are not finished with "magic" wall where you can not go - just try to swimm further in to the ocean... Classical exp leveling up lot's of hidden places, creatures, people you can talk... Of course all of us have our own "best games" - for me, if we are saying about RPG games - this is one of the best position. Expand
  29. egn
    Mar 12, 2013
    Gothic 2 takes a lot of the areas where Gothic 1 was a bit weak and improves them. Graphics, variety of enemies, choices for equipment, affiliation, and gameplay styles all are increased in G2. The sound, the size of the world, and the graphics quality are also all much improved; overall it's a technical improvement on its predecessor by a wide margin; even the UI feels much more modern. that said, the quest and plot are a bit more lacking for me with this game; it feels like a lot of quests have you only doing a lot of running around from place to place rather than doing interesting things like...killing stuff, I guess. This can get old and wear down gameplay after awhile. On the other hand. there is something real amazingly cool about the second major act of the plot, where you revisit familiar ground. Things suddenly get WAY more challenging at this point, and all of the basically over-length introduction starts to pay off then. I knocked off one point for the intro, otherwise this game is REALLY solid, and is just as enjoyable as the first Gothic with many hours ore enjoyment added on. Expand
  30. Nov 14, 2013
    Despite a few bugs and glitches, this game is the most addictive and my favorite RPG game. The story is awesome and offers you a lot of freedom and the effects are good even 10 years after the game has been released. It also feels epic while battling dragons and orcs. In my opinion, the best RPG game ever made.
  31. Jan 9, 2014
    Even in this age and time, this game beats any new tittle of it's genre. Truly, Gothic II is a great game with an awesome story. You awake in a world full of wonders and possibilities. You choose who you want to be and how you will deal with the boulders that lay on your path. I would recommend this game to anyone, who wants to go on an adventure. Dive into the storyline, become the Nameless Hero and live in the world of Gothic. A lot of modifications with their own stories and worlds have been developed. Even a new Gothic Multiplayer is in the works as i write this review. This game is worth every penny you shell out for it. If you were in doubt, then be not. Just start playing this wonderful game. Expand
  32. Jul 27, 2011
    While still using the same basic engine that powered Gothic 1, Gothic II adds a few improvements in lighting, model detail and textures that were lacking in the first. The story is new but the land is somewhat familiar. There are very few bugs, but those that are apparent can be avoided. In addition, Piranha-Bytes offers the option to use a new control scheme, or stick with the familiar system used in the first game. You'll start out in a new land adjacent to that of the first and you will find yourself venturing between the two. Familiar characters make a return in Gothic II and it seems that their presence and influence have far more meaning than they did in the first game. A wonderful new adaptation to the Gothic Universe and if you have played the first, its definitely worth giving up some time to play it!!! 9 out of 10! Expand
  33. Sep 24, 2013
    I have, Personally, played Gothic 3 more than one and have gone trough many of the possibilities of the game such as the three factions. The game is wonderful, there is large amount of exploration involved in a small map where you can go just about anywhere you can see, with few exceptions. The combat is 'evolved' from the games of its time and the training system with the limited ability points keeps the Characters balanced throughout the whole game, but i found there was a lack of crafting capabilities, i found it too difficult to learn how to make the majority of the blacksmith skills such as making weapons involving dragon blood, thing is you can only get this using cheats; this disappointed me. Another thing that disappointed me is the fact that I found, after activating cheats, that a lot of the in-game items could only be accessed by cheating. But Other than this the story has an awesome amount of involvement and
    the factions in the game give it awesome replay value.
  34. Mar 17, 2014
    For me, Gothic and Gothic II are the definition of perfect game. The setting, the atmosphere, the way the world lives are the best features of the game. You will feel as a part of that world and that is what I miss in today's games. The story is amazingly well written and the characters actually have characteristic features, I love the way they tell jokes or get angry with you. It all makes sense. I do not know of a better game than Gothic II. Expand
  35. Dec 28, 2011

1. It is the most captivating game I have played lately.
  2. This game time is artificially prolonged by ridiculous amounts of difficulty. The clunky and unresponsive control scheme is bad enough, but you start so weak that you're forced to do a lot of mindless leveling up before you can do anything interesting.
  3. This game will change what you think about RPGs. The immense world provides hours of gameplay and there are enough different paths to take that the game could be won in any way you want.