Gothic PC

8.6

1. Apr 30, 2012
    Will start off by saying I've only played just over 3 hours of the game, but the game doesn't inspire me to continue any further. Although the premise and the setting are very nice and you can get the atmospheric feel of the place, especially with good ambient music, the game has a lot of drawbacks, such as ridiculously bad controls, poor dialogue, and a very slow pace. First of all, theWill start off by saying I've only played just over 3 hours of the game, but the game doesn't inspire me to continue any further. Although the premise and the setting are very nice and you can get the atmospheric feel of the place, especially with good ambient music, the game has a lot of drawbacks, such as ridiculously bad controls, poor dialogue, and a very slow pace. First of all, the controls. To do anything in the game, such as to pick up an item, to talk to someone, or (the worst of all) to climb ladders, requires not only for the character to be perfectly alligned in a certain direction, but also the press of two buttons at exactly the same time. This kind of bad controls really detract from the gaming experience, even if you do sort of get there after an hour or so. I also mentioned the bad dialogue, but that mostly just refers to the main character and not the NPCs. It's a combination of both the bad lines and bad voice acting. Like the guy has an overly down to earth attitude and acts a bit like a naive child even though he has no reason to since just about any character there tries to beat the crap out of him or to rob him off his ore. However, it's mostly the slow pacing of the game that really discouraged me from carrying on, and the fact that you are kind of forced to explore for solutions to what to do next, except that the game won't let you explore, because nearly every creature apart from standard scavengers kills you in one hit, hence confining you to a tiny area. The game probably picks up the pace later on, but I couldn't stomach it anymore. If these issues could be sorted out, I am sure Gothic can be a really fun game, but otherwise it feels a bit broken, especially considering there are some in-game bugs present too, which I sort of forgave. Expand
  2. Aug 19, 2010
    I spent about an hour and a half on this and gave up. The nonsensical control scheme and awkwardness of movement are absolutely game breaking. I heard it's supposed to have some good qualities, but I couldn't even get to them.

1. With a novel, large and intricate set of societies, coupled with excellent graphics and sound, Gothic becomes one of the most immersive and believable single-play adventure/RPGs ever.
  2. The 3D engine looks unbelievably good! The surroundings are impeccable, and bear a surreal and depressive atmosphere. All the objects and buildings look just as great.
    Decent graphics and a well-developed storyline. It also has a great amount of replayability, as each time through the game could yield different experiences with different choices.