Gothic PC

8.6

1. Sep 14, 2014
    Yes, I've read the reviews. Yes, I know it's been 13 years since this game was launched... but, I simply was not prepared enough for a disappointment like this. My problem with this game are not it's graphics or visuals effects (I didn't came here looking for that) but the whole game mechanics... and I think that has nothing to do with the launching date.

For the past 7 hours I've been

For the past 7 hours I've been trying, really hard, to play this game and the only thing I feel is frustration. For what I can see, the story seems pretty decent and attractive, but the absurdly hard to play combat system and controls, along with the lack any of help to understand how to do the most basic of things (from grabing an object on the floor, to trading, read a map or equip weapons) just prevents me to get into the story.

Whenever I try to accomplish a small mission, I get killed again and again by the most small and dumb creatures just because of the difficult combat mechanics: it's not about the keyboard (you can just easily change it in order to use WASD instead of the default keypad arrows setting) but the complex use of the keyboard to hit, and above all that: the inability of the character to keep the target centered.

Once I got somehow somehow accustomed to this way to manage the keyboard, then I got into the world map: I've been running up and down the whole world trying to get to an specific point, but it seems impossible: I just can't remember the way I got there and now all possible roads appear to be full of really hard to kill beasts and enemies. Then, it's starting to get dark... and there's nothing you can do to put your character to sleep in the wilderness, so you just basically have to stand up there, waiting for the sunrise to come.

I really don't understand how this game has so many high reviews. I respect the people that think that it's the best RPG they've ever played and frankly the story seems really nice. Don't hate me, I just can't get into it.

One last piece of advice: I'm running this game on a Windows7 64 machine. The only way I managed to even start the game without crashing, was changing the gothic.exe file to run in Windows XP compatibility mode.
  2. Feb 25, 2015
    Regarding the other reviews-- the controls really aren't that bad, and you stop noticing after 20-30 minutes. Voice acting is definitely bad, but this too becomes less apparent as you get into the game. That said, the setting and characters become vapid after about 5 hours of gameplay. Decent game, but nothing special.

Pros: -Intriguing/unique setting -Three joinable camps

Pros:
    -Intriguing/unique setting
    -Three joinable camps
    -Fun/interesting combat system
    -Open world, very few load screens

Cons:
    -Extremely buggy, some side quests completely bugged, ladders are a pain
    -A lot of grinding for xp, and enemies don't respawn making it even harder to grind
    -Other than joining a camp, there aren't any meaningful decisions / dialogue options
    -No fast travel. Period. And much of the open world is void of anything interesting
  3. Aug 16, 2012
    (For Gothic v.1.08j, via GamersGate to work with Windows Vista/7.) A classic, gritty RPG with an entertaining story and decision consequence gameplay, but stunted from bugs. Begins wonderful: Environments look handcrafted with much effort put into them, while being unique and not mass-produced and thus generic; lots of mystery; start with nothing, and work your way from a nobody to someone(For Gothic v.1.08j, via GamersGate to work with Windows Vista/7.) A classic, gritty RPG with an entertaining story and decision consequence gameplay, but stunted from bugs. Begins wonderful: Environments look handcrafted with much effort put into them, while being unique and not mass-produced and thus generic; lots of mystery; start with nothing, and work your way from a nobody to someone of literal class, or not. Lots of voice acting repeated. A.I. fails miserably too often: NPC's loses player when following, failing off cliffs easily, and often unable to climb ladders when necessary. (This often causes significant problems with quests.) Sometimes buggy quests and A.I. that go as far as ruining immersion and gameplay (ex. failing a quest by doing something you actually didn't). Combat often seems buggy -- enemies not taking damage at certain angles or seemingly randomly. Some environment errors, such as mismatching paths and ladders not working and restricting character access to certain areas. Game crashes way too frequently (Vista). All in all, a game with great potential, with some accomplished, but a lot blocked from bugs, making the game frustrating to continue, but in the end worth playing it, or some of it. Expand
  4. Apr 24, 2012
    Very dated when played today. Both graphically, and technically.
    Seems like alot of work was put into it, but since the mouse look/feel is nowhere near the norm it put me off. My rating is based on 2012, how the game has stood up, and how much it kept my interest. Personally, I lost interest as soon as I installed it, and I still plenty tons of games from that time frame.
    +5 for their
    Very dated when played today. Both graphically, and technically.
    +5 for their effort. -5 for my disinterest.
  5. KimF.
    Apr 28, 2002
    This game has way to many bugs, also the controls are hard to work and that is when they do work. I agree the graphics are awsome and the storyline is ok. That is why it gets a 5 from me.
  6. May 2, 2012
    The storyline is quite nice, well woven into a fluid and magical questline.

But there's one problem: the control scheme. Everything depends very heavily upon the control scheme, and for such an old game, thats a pretty daunting flaw. I've given GOTHIC a few chances while re-arranging the controls a bit to my liking, but still some very odd choices stand out among the game, Like
    The storyline is quite nice, well woven into a fluid and magical questline.

But there's one problem: the control scheme.

I've given GOTHIC a few chances while re-arranging the controls a bit to my liking, but still some very odd choices stand out among the game, Like how mouse usage for opening a chest is required, and the inventory handling.

Perhaps maybe i need to give gothic a few more chances, but for now its a good but very strange handling game.
  7. Apr 30, 2012
    Will start off by saying I've only played just over 3 hours of the game, but the game doesn't inspire me to continue any further. Although the premise and the setting are very nice and you can get the atmospheric feel of the place, especially with good ambient music, the game has a lot of drawbacks, such as ridiculously bad controls, poor dialogue, and a very slow pace. First of all, theWill start off by saying I've only played just over 3 hours of the game, but the game doesn't inspire me to continue any further. Although the premise and the setting are very nice and you can get the atmospheric feel of the place, especially with good ambient music, the game has a lot of drawbacks, such as ridiculously bad controls, poor dialogue, and a very slow pace. First of all, the controls. To do anything in the game, such as to pick up an item, to talk to someone, or (the worst of all) to climb ladders, requires not only for the character to be perfectly alligned in a certain direction, but also the press of two buttons at exactly the same time. This kind of bad controls really detract from the gaming experience, even if you do sort of get there after an hour or so. I also mentioned the bad dialogue, but that mostly just refers to the main character and not the NPCs. It's a combination of both the bad lines and bad voice acting. Like the guy has an overly down to earth attitude and acts a bit like a naive child even though he has no reason to since just about any character there tries to beat the crap out of him or to rob him off his ore. However, it's mostly the slow pacing of the game that really discouraged me from carrying on, and the fact that you are kind of forced to explore for solutions to what to do next, except that the game won't let you explore, because nearly every creature apart from standard scavengers kills you in one hit, hence confining you to a tiny area. The game probably picks up the pace later on, but I couldn't stomach it anymore. If these issues could be sorted out, I am sure Gothic can be a really fun game, but otherwise it feels a bit broken, especially considering there are some in-game bugs present too, which I sort of forgave. Collapse

1. With a novel, large and intricate set of societies, coupled with excellent graphics and sound, Gothic becomes one of the most immersive and believable single-play adventure/RPGs ever.
  2. The 3D engine looks unbelievably good! The surroundings are impeccable, and bear a surreal and depressive atmosphere. All the objects and buildings look just as great.
    Decent graphics and a well-developed storyline. It also has a great amount of replayability, as each time through the game could yield different experiences with different choices.