Grand Theft Auto III PC

8.4

1. FredericksburgC.
    Oct 19, 2002
    One. Of. The. Best. Games. Ever. FACT.
  2. TimH.
    Jul 26, 2002
    This is the greatest non-sports game on Playstation 2 as of right now. It'll probably change when the second one comes out, but of course we'll all have to treat the original Grand Theft Auto 3 just as we would the original Godfather. The sequels were good, but the original started it off and will ALWAYS be a classic.
  3. BitBurn
    Jun 5, 2002
    Very refreshing!! This is a great game. Missions are awesome. The only problem is that I wasn't able to get my Thrusmaster Modena 360 steering wheel to work properly with it. But other then this, I highly recommend this game to anyone with a sense of humour...and a sense of madness!!
  4. JasonD.
    Mar 3, 2003
    Where else can you steal a fast car, shoot up thugs, and run over old ladies all in a matter of seconds?
  5. StephenL.
    Aug 2, 2002
    GAT3 is realy good because it has good graphics and you can allmost do anythinng you want. the only real problem is that you can't go into allmost anybuilding. and it would be better if you wernt in the same environment, thats all.
  6. CiaranG.
    Mar 27, 2006
    Have had many an hour playing this super game. Lots to do. I love the huge living breathing city. Was the first game I've played which has such a huge environment and so much to do.
  7. JohnnyM.
    May 30, 2002
    Grand Theft Auto 3 is probably one of the best game ever, and the PC version does the game justice. I played both the PC and PS2 versions and the graphics on the PC are better, BUT I prefer the controls in the PS2 version. I could not get used to the mouse/keyboard combination for this generally third-person game. But, except for that minor problem, the game is in every way perfect! I Grand Theft Auto 3 is probably one of the best game ever, and the PC version does the game justice. I played both the PC and PS2 versions and the graphics on the PC are better, BUT I prefer the controls in the PS2 version. I could not get used to the mouse/keyboard combination for this generally third-person game. But, except for that minor problem, the game is in every way perfect! I will buy GTA: Vice City and GTA4 when they come out! Expand
  8. AlexW.
    Jun 2, 2002
    Ok, i have seen, and played this game. It is in my opinion, the best game out there. I am thinking about buying a ps2 just for gta3. if you do not like it, or rate it under a 9(8-0) you need to be beaten to a bloody plup, and feed to man eating gang members. HA Ha Ha!!!
  9. RingoE.
    Sep 13, 2002
    Best Game ever!, great story line, almost no moving bounderies and incredible variety. Recommended!
  10. AdityaS.
    Jan 29, 2005
    G-R-E-A-T! Thats all I can say. I know its bad for children and it is not useful but the game entices us so so deeply that we are fascinated and we end up playing the entire game even though we say that is not good for our children.
  11. NickS.
    Nov 10, 2002
    This game is the best game iv ever played.
  12. ErenK.
    Oct 7, 2002
    Hey can some 1 tell me how to get rid of of sqares when u are playing the game its really anoying. I cant finish the 4th mission.
  13. VidM.
    Nov 9, 2004
    What can I say? You gotta play the game to realize that the hype isn't only all true but actually doesn't do the game justice. The world is so organic/chaotic that there are always several ways to complete a mission that the developers probably never even considered. One of the few games I've ever played where it's just and fun and addicting to lose as it is to win.
  14. Zedman
    Jun 12, 2004
    What a ride! I loved GTA3 and think all the others, even the older ones where you look from above, were real good. I cant wait for GTA San Andreas and hope it doesn't stop there.
  15. BeckyB.
    Dec 15, 2006
    I GTA3 I started to play this game and found it has great graphics challanging objectives and it's just peer adictive. I could sit and play for hours..lol tell my legs cramp up. Any how I give GTA3 a ten GO GTA3.
  16. RyanC
    Jan 16, 2008
    This game was my favorite for a long time, and still is one of my favorites. Maybe it can't stand up to more recent releases of the GTA series, but for its time, best of the best.
    Feb 19, 2004
    The only reason for giving it the 9 rating is because the only things it misses are in Vice City. Get them both I would say.
  18. AndrewMc
    Mar 28, 2004
    I bought this based on the ratings on this site - not because it was really my sort of game. It just looked too good to ignore. My first GTA experience and I am hooked - line and sinker thrown in! It's easy to learn and has a great depth of missions and superb pacing of player skill development. A huge playground to explore. Different experience every single time! And what about that I bought this based on the ratings on this site - not because it was really my sort of game. It just looked too good to ignore. My first GTA experience and I am hooked - line and sinker thrown in! It's easy to learn and has a great depth of missions and superb pacing of player skill development. A huge playground to explore. Different experience every single time! And what about that soundtrack...unbelievable! Truly the best game I have played! Expand
  19. AnonymousMC
    Sep 21, 2009
    one word Masterpiece....I think the main reason why
    upgraded my pc twice is that game...beyond being
    very demanding on u r pc if u can max everything u will really feel like u are there...so many details and so much ingenuity has been put on this game that if i had a choice of only one pc game for the rest of my life...this would be the one cause there so much possibilities beyond
    one word Masterpiece....I think the main reason why
    upgraded my pc twice is that game...beyond being
    very demanding on u r pc if u can max everything u
    will really feel like u are there...so many details and
    so much ingenuity has been put on this game that if i had a choice of only one pc game for the rest of my life...this would be the one cause there so much possibilities beyond the storyline...waiting desperatly for an extension on this game for pc...
    just amazing...
  20. DanielM.
    Dec 18, 2002
    It has great graphics and better then G.T.A vice city!!!!!
  21. Apr 16, 2011
    This game could have been much better. Still, the mood of liberty city and the music on the radio save the game. The missions have vague instructions and many are impossible to do on the first few attempts due to limitations put in by the game makers. Overall, the radio is great, some cars are nice, graphics not too good, and too many bad missions. The map is extremely bad and doesn't helpThis game could have been much better. Still, the mood of liberty city and the music on the radio save the game. The missions have vague instructions and many are impossible to do on the first few attempts due to limitations put in by the game makers. Overall, the radio is great, some cars are nice, graphics not too good, and too many bad missions. The map is extremely bad and doesn't help that much. Great voice acting by the street characters of liberty city and talk show radio people. A nice game overall, even with its issues. Rockstar games is one of the worst game makers out there. The metascore is way too much. Should be around 72, not more. Expand
  22. Jun 24, 2013
    Well... This game was a pretty big thing back at it's days but now it's just a mediocre game to play. If you want to play something better play Vice City or San Andreas.
  23. Mar 20, 2014
    GTA is probably one of the most iconic series in video game history, therefore, doesn’t need any introduction.
    Although, for those who lived under a rock for the past few years, I think it would be adequate to describe the GTA series as a Crime Simulator.
    So how does GTA 3 fit into the series? Is it still relevant? Is it worth the time and money? Or is it just a mere historical curiosity?
    Presentation:
    In terms of the graphics presentation, it has not aged well. Moreover, even for the time, GTA 3 was already a bit dated on the visuals department compared to other AAA PC games of the time. So expect pixilated textures, blocky models and robotic and clunky animations.
    Sound :
    In the sound department, GTA 3 is only satisfactory, the sound effects of vehicles and weapons are acceptable, and the soundtrack is what you would expect, but the voice-overs, despite above average, are on a lower quality format, which makes understanding people really difficult sometimes.
    Story:
    The player starts as a small bandit climbing thought the crime ranks selling its services to various mobster groups in an attempt to reach the American dream. Mix that with a bunch of "colorful" characters, and the compulsory revenge story, and you have the recipe for any other GTA game ever made. In other words, a bland and cheesy action flick full of clichés, stereotypes and dark "humor ".
    Ok, let's be honest , Rockstar can’t write anything good, just look at what they did to the Max Payne series.
    However, no one plays GTA for its “fantastic” narrative qualities anyway…
    Gameplay:
    If you played the sequels, you will know what to expect here. It’s the same basic mechanics but done poorly.
    The controls are surprisingly acceptable for keyboard and mouse, although the fixed camera when driving was a bit annoying.
    Also particularly annoying was the lack of a global map and the lack of permanent “locations hints” for Ammu-Nation and Pay 'n' Spray on the mini-map.
    In conclusion: GTA 3 might have been innovative for its time, but as it stands today, I cannot recommend it, since the sequels have done it bigger and better than what is presented here.
    But don’t get me wrong, GTA 3 is not a bad game; it’s just not a “unique enough” experience to justify its purchase anymore.
    So unless you’re a GTA fanatic, you’ll be better off keeping you’re GTA 4 installation, or try GTA San Andreas (the best GTA game for the PC in my opinion) as an alternative.
  24. Jan 13, 2014
    o.O
    were talking about the same game here? well i disagree.
    imo this thing shouldnt be rated so high... i cant remember the release very well, but it musthv been before san andreas and vice city...obv.. to those it is inferior in every point(not talking graphics): music- worse even than gta1/2(ok thats just me), story...well the guy doesnt even fing talk...controls are not very
    o.O
    were talking about the same game here? well i disagree.
    imo this thing shouldnt be rated so high...
    to those it is inferior in every point(not talking graphics): music- worse even than gta1/2(ok thats just me), story...well the guy doesnt even fing talk...controls are not very accurate at all, not with a pad, not in any other way...
    missions felt repetitive to me, and often unfair(not challenging)
    id even prefer the horrible gta4 if only...well maybe not, the writing in 3 was better

25. Feb 5, 2015
    You know, as much as I've enjoyed the GTA series GTA3 never really struck that much of a chord with me, my favorite entries would have to be (GTA1, Vice City, and San Andreas)

It's a worthy title, don't get me wrong, and made the transition from top-down to full 3D TPS effortlessly. It's visuals I think are the main reasons why I don't like it as much as the others. Everything just

It's visuals I think are the main reasons why I don't like it as much as the others. Everything just looks so dull. I understand it's supposed to be a gritty game, but everything really is just so dull looking and quite lifeless.

For it's time the graphics themselves were great, pushing gaming foward etc, and I really am not someone who plays games solely for a pretty experience. I just don't feel entertained by GTA3 as much as the other titles, mainly for it's atmosphere I'd say.

All your favorite mission types, gameplay elements are there which do a great job, radio stations return and can be pretty funny.

I've just never been a fan of the dull, dark, rain all the time visuals.

Give me Vice City any day!
  26. May 8, 2016
    I know that nowadays it may look bad, but in 2001, it was the best game to ever live. In my opinion, this game is still enjoyable and fun as the day it was released.
  27. DanielV.
    Jan 27, 2010
    I first played it on PS2 and couldn't get enough. When I saw it on PC, me being a PC gamer, I *bought* it without hesitation. At first, I was sorta flustered about the lock-on system, or, rather, lack thereof, but after a while, I came to find the aiming system was far better. Rockstar made the right move. And with the option of skins, mods, and the very cool mp3 radio station, it I first played it on PS2 and couldn't get enough. When I saw it on PC, me being a PC gamer, I *bought* it without hesitation. At first, I was sorta flustered about the lock-on system, or, rather, lack thereof, but after a while, I came to find the aiming system was far better. Rockstar made the right move. And with the option of skins, mods, and the very cool mp3 radio station, it makes the PC version better than even its PS2 counter-part. Expand
  28. Aug 16, 2010
    This is what makes Grand Theft Auto into Grand Theft Auto, it is the basic essence of the series: Stealing cars, killing people, and doing other 'shady' activities all while in a crime infested city. Although it has next to nothing to do compared to later releases in the Grand Theft Auto series, the story is still fun to play.
  29. Oct 28, 2014
    The missions and characters are fun.

The missions and characters are fun.

However, the game suffers from bad design, in that most of the sencond half missions are made on a "try again" basis. You woon't be able to complete them on the first try, because the game designers made damn sure of that. So between every mission, you have to go back home to save the game, then drive to whomever is giving you the mission. Cutscene (skippable, small mercies) for the mission, then drive to the mission, and fail. Try again.

So yeah, you will get many hours out of the game, most of them driving to and from the actual action, and trying the same missions over and over again.

Sure, some elements are fun, but I don't see why it is such a highly rated game. Saints' Row II was much, much better. So, to me, this game is the epitome of average. Some good, some bad, overall, meh.
  30. Mar 10, 2012
    Tune in to your favourite stations, step on the gas and run over that granny. A cop is comming to arrest you, blow his head off! More cops arrive, burn them to the ground! FBI is here, and soon thye army will join in, send them to hell! Then you die. But no problem. Get in a random car and start over. Or just go wherever you want. No limits. No preprogramed paths. No nothing. Just goTune in to your favourite stations, step on the gas and run over that granny. A cop is comming to arrest you, blow his head off! More cops arrive, burn them to the ground! FBI is here, and soon thye army will join in, send them to hell! Then you die. But no problem. Get in a random car and start over. Or just go wherever you want. No limits. No preprogramed paths. No nothing. Just go wherever you want. You're free. Untill you're busted, or you pass out. Then you start it all over again, this time in a different manner. And that's why this game radically changed my view on games. I was playing Half-Life like mad. I was also playing Delta-Force: Land Warrior like mad. But i didn't realised how repetitive they were until i found GTA3. And after 10 years i still play this game. Expand

1. There’s more senseless violence in GTA3 than there are bleeps in an episode of "The Osbournes."
  2. netjak
    The interaction between player and environment sets the bar so high for other games, that it is nearly inaccessible.
    It's a game you could play for weeks -- maybe even months -- and still discover something new every day.