6.4

Mixed or average reviews- based on 1964 Ratings

1. Feb 17, 2014
    Freedom is really the best time was the best graphics, but the mission fails, restart the system without a save point .... Was the worst. But still, no matter how it's traditional ahswiwotda gta series
  2. Mar 8, 2014
    A lot of people claim this is a dull GTA game, and say San Andreas is better. San Andreas had more replay value, but GTA IV's story is one of the most underrated stories in a video game ever. It knows when its a good time to be serious, and when it's a good time to be humorous. However, the PC port requires a high-end graphics card even though my computer can run games with better graphicsA lot of people claim this is a dull GTA game, and say San Andreas is better. San Andreas had more replay value, but GTA IV's story is one of the most underrated stories in a video game ever. It knows when its a good time to be serious, and when it's a good time to be humorous. However, the PC port requires a high-end graphics card even though my computer can run games with better graphics than this fine, so its clearly the game that has the problem. Expand
  3. Mar 23, 2014
    Very Disappointed

Very Disappointed

They've messed up real life simulation and fun game play. The whole game feels like a drag. Emotionally unstable protagonist which most of the times does not represent what the player wants/feels. Story-wise everything feels schemed. Majority of the characters are being killed/disposed off before you even know them. You play for around 20hours into the story to find out the real story behind it all, which in fact, is very poor. Thinking about spending time and building relationships/friendships? Absolute waste of time. Girlfriends are getting discarded like flies through "Storytelling". Constant drama and personal-family affairs are just horrible representation.

Game-wise. Graphics are mediocre at best. They've pulled this strange, and rather unwanted, dirt-brown filter onto everything, to simulate a dirty (real life?) city. To say the least it all fails. The game was designed for a console. With limited resources and computational power in mind. And this version of the game in just a port, and a cheap one, they didn't even bother implementing anti-aliasing into the game. No matter that, knowing it's 5years old game, and the availability of graphical enhancers around this is all semi-fixable, and can be disregarded by majority.

Mechanics. The physics, AI, and other inner mechanics are very poor designed, if they were designed at all. Vehicle controls are as crappy as ever. Especially every other car that you aren't driving. Motorcycles flying into the air like balloons on every impact. Inflammable cars with a touch of a finger. Cars no longer have fuel tanks apparently. You have to shoot the rims of the car for it to get a blazed and explode. Forget about flat tires. Firing at tires does nothing. Shoot the rims for effect. which goes in three stages apparently. Flat tire -> broken rim -> car in flames. No purchasable safe-houses. No property ownership with benefits. Just story set crappy apartments forces upon you. I recall parachutes and jet packs in previous game installments, non of that here. No "gang members" recruitment. You can't call out for someone to help. Missions scripts are more broken than ever. Sometimes it feels like you have to perform brain-surgery operation to get in place for mission to progress.

Overally. Having played Vice City, and getting very amazed back in the day, it was improved and topped up with creativity with San Andreas. But, as it seems, they decided to literally downgrade the game for "reality feel". They've removed so much it is unbelievable this game was in production so long. No car customization, no garage, you can't call a ballet to bring you your car. They've spent so much time and effort into rag-doll simulation and animations things just fly by while you are trying to enter a vehicle. Muscle, stamina have been removed. Character customization is just non-existing. You have Niko Bellic as he is. You can buy him a nice suit. That's about it. The whole experience feels like stripped down game. It is rather ironic that throughout the game there are multiple references and mentioning of Vice City, and how much better things are there.

Conclusion. This review is based on completing the game. I am not one of those who played couple of hours and made their conclusions. Being GTA fan for a decade it is really a shame that such a franchise ended up in such state. It is all down the hill from now on. I am really afraid even taking GTA5 in my hands. Thinking that it will be just like GTA4 with three Niko Bellics running around. Not recommended.
  4. Apr 1, 2014
    Pro: very good gameplay (shooting, driving, shooting and driving), good storyline and characters, graphic are not so bad, major improvement comparing to gta sa, love the details of small things (tv, pc, taxi service etc)

cons: bugs, first timer would have lots of problem (system specs, settings, game protection), no checkpoint savegames during missions (imean if you're like 90% to complete the mission and you **** up you gotta start from the beginning of the mission), less spacious than gta sa map, no planes, crappy heli controls.

*never played its multiplayer, so aint saying any comment for that
  5. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is a disgrace to the Grand Theft Auto franchise. Let me explain myself. Positives: Most realistic GTA game (ex. Cars shift weight when they turn, new ragdoll physics, car physics, so much physics) Cab rides, officially implemented multiplayer, and finally some freaking beds. Negatives: Story is overrated as COD, can't keep a steady frame rate. EVER. THE MISSIONS. THE MISSIONS AREThis game is a disgrace to the Grand Theft Auto franchise. Let me explain myself. Positives: Most realistic GTA game (ex. Cars shift weight when they turn, new ragdoll physics, car physics, so much physics) Cab rides, officially implemented multiplayer, and finally some freaking beds. Negatives: Story is overrated as COD, can't keep a steady frame rate. EVER. THE MISSIONS. THE MISSIONS ARE SO BAD THAT THERE IS NO WORD THAT CAN DESCRIBE THEM. All the other GTA games had good characters at least. GTA IV? Nope. At least GTA IV: TBoGT made some of them interesting. The world is so drab and devoid of ineteresting environments. Rockstar turned GTA III's Liberty City from a thrilling, backstabbing, gang and drug filled world into 40,000 identical city streets with only the drugs kept into it. Other characters you meet throughout your "adventure" can become you "friends". What does this mean? It means that Roman will call you every 5 minutes to go bowling. Packie will call you every 5 minutes to throw darts, and your terrible plot twist of a girlfriend will want to go out with you on a date every 5 minutes. There's like to clothes stores which sell all the same drab, greyish colors of the city. The only reason I'm giving this game a five is that, being the young boy I am, This was my first GTA game, and even though the missions were repetitive, I thought open world games were so cool. The idea of roaming around a huge area was foreign to me, and I loved every second of it. Anyway, if you want to know what GTA IV was striving to be, (a fun game with realistic, but colorful, graphics and story) download Just Cause 2. It is my favorite open world game (San Andreas being 2nd place, of course). Get it on PC, but use a gamepad of some sort. Expand
  6. Apr 12, 2014
    This is still an outstanding game. I'm waiting for GTA V for PC (or PS4) but the graphics, music, missions, shooting mechanics (even with controller), are just great. This is much fun to play. And the best of this game is the humor. I almost can't believe this game is already 6 years old. The satiric humor on the radio stations is still spot-on, aiming at the current western society.
  7. Apr 21, 2014
    Repetitive missions. Forgettable character. Boring storyline. The only good things are the graphic. IMO, I didn't like the music. How professional company rated this as good is beyond me.
  8. Apr 27, 2014
    I enjoyed it, but I was expecting more. I know it's not easy to make better than San Andreas, but I think GTA IV has great action too and it's a great game indeed.
  9. May 9, 2014
    Game: Grand Theft Auto IV
    Genre: Shooting-Action
    Developer: Rockstar System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 85/100 Value Score: 8.5/10 • Story: 8/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 8/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 7/10 • Length: 9/10 • Replay Value: 9/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Bigger City than in GTAIII, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas +A lot of
    Game: Grand Theft Auto IV

• Music: 7/10
    • Length: 9/10
    • Replay Value: 9/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

Pros
    +Bigger City than in GTAIII, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas
    +A lot of special events, mini games, etc to play
    +Driving is more realistic than previous games (most people will like this)
    +Multiple Endings
    +Voice acting is fantastic
    +Phone system which gives you access to interacting with other characters, cheats, and other features
    +Replay Value focuses mostly on the open world, mini games, assassination missions and etc missions like previous games
    +Unique features such as the ability to use the police system to track down characters and the ability to get on the internet for additional missions + dating, etc ties more into the replay value as well as gameplay.

Cons
    -Driving can be a pain sometimes (especially when it comes to flying vehicles and boats) compared to previous games cause of the realistic like mechanics (more realistic than previous games)
    -Too many chasing missions which repeat the process again and again far more often than in previous GTA games
    -Stats, physical appearance, etc from San Andreas removed
    -Safe houses reduced significantly and only accessible through storyline terms rather than purchasing like in previous games
  10. May 17, 2014
    Very good game despite a smaller map than its predecessor. However, this is normal because the story takes place in Liberty City (New York), smaller than San Andreas city and its suburbs. The story is good, quite long, and the graphics are very nice for a game in 2008. Briefly, a good game to buy with its predecessor, as these are the 2 best GTA PC.
  11. May 30, 2014
    Points for the fantastic graphics, but unfortunately, the game is so painfully laggy that it's beyond the point of being playable. Even after trying everything to fix the situation, this game just doesn't want to cooperate with my PC. Hopefully, Rockstar is able to avoid these kind of bugs in future games.
  12. Jun 4, 2014
    Nice game, but not good enough to be considered the best chapter of GTA saga.
    In comparison to GTA San Andreas does not have that atmosphere that I remember very well so far.
    The city is small and gray. Of course, it's New York, but I remember better the Liberty City of GTA III.
    Another defect is the bad optimization on PC.
  13. Sep 8, 2014
    Одна из лучших частей: график ,геймплей, музыка все очень очень круто 10 из 10 !!!!!!!!!!!! Developer Молодцы супер !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Один - плохая оптимизация для персонального компьютера .
  14. Sep 9, 2014
    Just your usual hack and slash GTA game, where you do missions, and wreak havoc on Liberty City. Not the most amazing plot I've ever come across, and I can't say I'm too impressed with the game overall, considering the constant tweaking I had to do with the settings in order to make this poorly optimized PC port run smoothly. Not horrible, but definitely nothing to get excited for.
  15. Oct 1, 2014
    Well this game contains the "best" storyline I have seen so far. The constant twists in the plot make it very enjoyable. Unfortunately other than the good storyline it can feel occasionally annoying to be constantly doing missions over and over. Once finish with this game there isn't much you can do except hang out with the protagonists friends, kill civilians, and engage in shoot-outsWell this game contains the "best" storyline I have seen so far. The constant twists in the plot make it very enjoyable. Unfortunately other than the good storyline it can feel occasionally annoying to be constantly doing missions over and over. Once finish with this game there isn't much you can do except hang out with the protagonists friends, kill civilians, and engage in shoot-outs with police and/or gangsters and using cheats. It is near absolute must that you do not buy this game on Steam as this game may fail to start up and a very big bug on the last mission. The major bug prevents the completion of the game on the PC which can be fixed by FRAPS. The graphics aren't the best but are "good" for a game made in 2008. Overall it is a good game with an occasional bug or two a repetitive mission system which can be good or bad depending on if you like missions and the lack of good cheats or anything fun to do after finishing. Although there is a modding community if you wish to change some aspects of the game. Expand
  16. Sep 30, 2014
    It's bad. It's boring. It's broken.
    Now, autumn of 2014, i7-2700 (3,4GHz Quad), 16 GB RAM, Geforce 970 (Maxwell 2), Win8.1-64, SSD: The game does not stutter anymore. Maybe unless you use the X-Box-controller, that is.
    It's bad. It's boring. It's broken.
    Now, you can see GTA4 in its full glory. And it is bad. Graphics? Dated. Well, they were already dated when the game was released in 2008, but hardly anybody noticed that, as nearly everybody was just overwhelmed by the sheer size of the city. Music? No, just awful noise. Dialogues? Do you consider F-words and S-words a bearable dialogue? In that case you do not have a problem with the game. You do have a problem with your life. Missions? Try to navigate a horrible car through a horrible mess of horrible AI and kill someone. Repeat.
    The good news is: The triggers in the game can be broken, so you cannot start the next mission. What about other savegames? It is GfWL - no escape here. The game essentially gives you a "Game over" for free. Thus the game has a useful message after all: Go and play something else.
  17. Oct 16, 2014
    There are few things what I love about this game, but San Andreas I love really more. GTA IV has no atmosphere for me. Niko is the worst guy in GTA series. He makes this game really boring - he's like one of these stupid Russians which play Dota. His family is boring too. Thanks to god for Episodes from Liberty City, which makes game playable in some way.
    Huge map, open world and story is
    Huge map, open world and story is great. Graphic is cool, but I really hate Niko. Thats why I rather play older San Andreas, Vice City or GTA III.
  18. Oct 17, 2014
    **** Final Mission
    Pc Version have problem but Rockstar cant fix it
    im so fast take Boat and chase dimitri BUT Cant take Jacobs Heli
    15 Times retry same result Mission Failed
    Fuxxcking this game **** programer this mission designer !
    totaly GTA 4 is **** game..
    too many money...cant buy nothing
    and sux framelate and so on
  19. Oct 21, 2014
    First of all, what an overrated game. Second of all, why are the Critics giving this game such great reviews and everyone else is giving it mixed or negative reviews. Hmm... Mabye because Rockstar is paying them! Nonetheless, Grand Theft Auto IV is a good game but has a weak story, a small map compared to other Grand Theft Auto games, and doesn't have as much variety either. So far, to me,First of all, what an overrated game. Second of all, why are the Critics giving this game such great reviews and everyone else is giving it mixed or negative reviews. Hmm... Mabye because Rockstar is paying them! Nonetheless, Grand Theft Auto IV is a good game but has a weak story, a small map compared to other Grand Theft Auto games, and doesn't have as much variety either. So far, to me, Grand Theft Auto IV is the weakest in the series and is a Rockstar misfire. But, it still gets a 7/10 (good) Expand
  20. Oct 31, 2014
    best game ever . all gta games are the best series . i played those games 2 or 3 times over with all DLC, and I still can play them again and again, because the story in those games is so great . waiting for GTA V PC !!!
  21. Nov 2, 2014
    Seria Grand Theft Auto, deja duce spre alta perspectiva. Jocul este mult mai real decat predecesorul si te arunca in orasul Liberty City ( orasul in care se desfasoara GTA III). Jocul este bestial, chiar merita.
  22. Nov 23, 2014
    OK, seriously, WTF. I'm not even going to write a review on this. When I downloaded this from Steam it really sucked. The graphics were so terrible. Try harder Rockstar.
  23. Dec 10, 2014
    same game play mode in the entire game, you spend more time traveling to the mission than completing it, the only challenge games are the minigames, even the dates are repetitive. Obviously the high rates was for the graphics and free run mode.
  24. Dec 18, 2014
    Too much overrated on consoles and pc. Especially with compare to GTA 5. There are still same old problems with control system in vehicles and with Nico. The characters is only one thing, that`s even better than in GTA 5. Normally I`ve get 8.5/10 but with the fact, that half of people simply can`t played game on their pc, I must give 7/10. If they will gave us problems with GTA 5, I willToo much overrated on consoles and pc. Especially with compare to GTA 5. There are still same old problems with control system in vehicles and with Nico. The characters is only one thing, that`s even better than in GTA 5. Normally I`ve get 8.5/10 but with the fact, that half of people simply can`t played game on their pc, I must give 7/10. If they will gave us problems with GTA 5, I will split up with them forever! Expand
  25. Jan 6, 2015
    One of the most overrated games of all time. The map is smaller than usual, your cousin keeps annoying you every 5 seconds for bowling, and the graphics are sub-par on the PC. I don't usually complain about the graphics unless the game-play is executed well....And it's kind of executed well. First of all, escaping from the cops is too easy! If you hide from them for 30 seconds, you are inOne of the most overrated games of all time. The map is smaller than usual, your cousin keeps annoying you every 5 seconds for bowling, and the graphics are sub-par on the PC. I don't usually complain about the graphics unless the game-play is executed well....And it's kind of executed well. First of all, escaping from the cops is too easy! If you hide from them for 30 seconds, you are in the clear. Also, the story is decent but not good enough. But, there are good aspects of this game, too. The car has a great damage effect when you ram into a wall and seems slightly more exaggerated than previous GTA games. I like that because sometimes I like to wreck my car for fun. Also, the underground subway is surprisingly extensive and large and is the site of the fabled Rat Man. Although proven fake, it is still awesome to go down there and relive the nostalgia of the Rat Man. Sometimes, even, I role-play and pretend I'm seeking out the Rat Man. The subway is easily the most interesting part of the map to me. Overall, GTA IV is a decent game, it was a huge misfire from Rockstar that wasn't as good as the previous games. 6/10 (OK) Expand
  26. Jan 12, 2015
    Grand Lag Auto Bore : Modders Poopy

In all seriousness, the game is still as bad as it is on consoles, including the fact that anything can go wrong at anytime when you start to install mods.

The fact that this game lags almost all the time, despite having an expensive video card, brings this game to a 4.9/10
  27. Jan 17, 2015
    a game I played back a long time ago when I was running a phenom II x4 ,4gb ddr3 and a hd4850, maybe it was poorly optimized , but I had some good times with it the graphics were OK, it has some interesting npc's that stood on street corners ranting, one of them was a crazy guy, the other was a minister, mindlessly driving in a semi plowing thru traffic Is something I spent some timea game I played back a long time ago when I was running a phenom II x4 ,4gb ddr3 and a hd4850, maybe it was poorly optimized , but I had some good times with it the graphics were OK, it has some interesting npc's that stood on street corners ranting, one of them was a crazy guy, the other was a minister, mindlessly driving in a semi plowing thru traffic Is something I spent some time doing, there's some interesting side missions, with companions', (in one which you can shoot your date or drive like a maniac and the date is over), story is just average, music at the time was accepatable, Expand
  28. Jan 27, 2015
    Definitely a 10, the graphics are beautiful and the single player story is great and deep with great characters. I like it much more than GTA 5 with all the disappearing cars.

1. It's the peripheral distractions of both going out with Roman, and meeting your girlfriends, that really make your virtual life so worth living. Although incredibly simplistic, they're oddly touching...One of the finest videogames ever. [Christmas 2008, p.87]
  2. The most grown-up GTA and the best realised, but it doesn't respect the PC much. Enjoy the multiplayer madness if you can. [Christmas 2008, p.96]
  3. A genuinely ground-breaking blockbuster in videogame history. There were moments playing GTA IV that I thought back to my initial experiences with games, and realised exactly how far we've come. There's never been anything quite like GTA IV in the world. That there makes me genuinely happy to be a gamer.