6.4

Mixed or average reviews- based on 1938 Ratings

1. Oct 21, 2014
    First of all, what an overrated game. Second of all, why are the Critics giving this game such great reviews and everyone else is giving it mixed or negative reviews. Hmm... Mabye because Rockstar is paying them! Nonetheless, Grand Theft Auto IV is a good game but has a weak story, a small map compared to other Grand Theft Auto games, and doesn't have as much variety either. So far, to me,First of all, what an overrated game. Second of all, why are the Critics giving this game such great reviews and everyone else is giving it mixed or negative reviews. Hmm... Mabye because Rockstar is paying them! Nonetheless, Grand Theft Auto IV is a good game but has a weak story, a small map compared to other Grand Theft Auto games, and doesn't have as much variety either. So far, to me, Grand Theft Auto IV is the weakest in the series and is a Rockstar misfire. But, it still gets a 7/10 (good) Expand
  2. Jan 3, 2014
    Nice story nice graphics nice gameplay
    Umm.. tell me a thing what is NOT nice PC optimization...
    The game has an bad optimization on PC version that you'll need an high-end graphic card to play it on low-medium settings
    Despite that it's a nice game
  3. Feb 17, 2014
    Freedom is really the best time was the best graphics, but the mission fails, restart the system without a save point .... Was the worst. But still, no matter how it's traditional ahswiwotda gta series
  4. Mar 8, 2014
    A lot of people claim this is a dull GTA game, and say San Andreas is better. San Andreas had more replay value, but GTA IV's story is one of the most underrated stories in a video game ever. It knows when its a good time to be serious, and when it's a good time to be humorous. However, the PC port requires a high-end graphics card even though my computer can run games with better graphicsA lot of people claim this is a dull GTA game, and say San Andreas is better. San Andreas had more replay value, but GTA IV's story is one of the most underrated stories in a video game ever. It knows when its a good time to be serious, and when it's a good time to be humorous. However, the PC port requires a high-end graphics card even though my computer can run games with better graphics than this fine, so its clearly the game that has the problem. Expand
  5. Oct 31, 2014
    best game ever . all gta games are the best series . i played those games 2 or 3 times over with all DLC, and I still can play them again and again, because the story in those games is so great . waiting for GTA V PC !!!
  6. Apr 1, 2014
    Pro: very good gameplay (shooting, driving, shooting and driving), good storyline and characters, graphic are not so bad, major improvement comparing to gta sa, love the details of small things (tv, pc, taxi service etc)

cons: bugs, first timer would have lots of problem (system specs, settings, game protection), no checkpoint savegames during missions (imean if you're like 90% to complete the mission and you **** up you gotta start from the beginning of the mission), less spacious than gta sa map, no planes, crappy heli controls.

*never played its multiplayer, so aint saying any comment for that
  7. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is a disgrace to the Grand Theft Auto franchise. Let me explain myself. Positives: Most realistic GTA game (ex. Cars shift weight when they turn, new ragdoll physics, car physics, so much physics) Cab rides, officially implemented multiplayer, and finally some freaking beds. Negatives: Story is overrated as COD, can't keep a steady frame rate. EVER. THE MISSIONS. THE MISSIONS AREThis game is a disgrace to the Grand Theft Auto franchise. Let me explain myself. Positives: Most realistic GTA game (ex. Cars shift weight when they turn, new ragdoll physics, car physics, so much physics) Cab rides, officially implemented multiplayer, and finally some freaking beds. Negatives: Story is overrated as COD, can't keep a steady frame rate. EVER. THE MISSIONS. THE MISSIONS ARE SO BAD THAT THERE IS NO WORD THAT CAN DESCRIBE THEM. All the other GTA games had good characters at least. GTA IV? Nope. At least GTA IV: TBoGT made some of them interesting. The world is so drab and devoid of ineteresting environments. Rockstar turned GTA III's Liberty City from a thrilling, backstabbing, gang and drug filled world into 40,000 identical city streets with only the drugs kept into it. Other characters you meet throughout your "adventure" can become you "friends". What does this mean? It means that Roman will call you every 5 minutes to go bowling. Packie will call you every 5 minutes to throw darts, and your terrible plot twist of a girlfriend will want to go out with you on a date every 5 minutes. There's like to clothes stores which sell all the same drab, greyish colors of the city. The only reason I'm giving this game a five is that, being the young boy I am, This was my first GTA game, and even though the missions were repetitive, I thought open world games were so cool. The idea of roaming around a huge area was foreign to me, and I loved every second of it. Anyway, if you want to know what GTA IV was striving to be, (a fun game with realistic, but colorful, graphics and story) download Just Cause 2. It is my favorite open world game (San Andreas being 2nd place, of course). Get it on PC, but use a gamepad of some sort. Expand
  8. Apr 21, 2014
    Repetitive missions. Forgettable character. Boring storyline. The only good things are the graphic. IMO, I didn't like the music. How professional company rated this as good is beyond me.
  9. May 17, 2014
    Very good game despite a smaller map than its predecessor. However, this is normal because the story takes place in Liberty City (New York), smaller than San Andreas city and its suburbs. The story is good, quite long, and the graphics are very nice for a game in 2008. Briefly, a good game to buy with its predecessor, as these are the 2 best GTA PC.
  10. May 25, 2014
    A Rockstar tem uma falta de respeito muito grande pelos PC Gamers... este jogo é pesado demais... e até hoje em dia, nem todos os PC's rodam esse jogo!! Você terá que desembolsar R$ 2.000 (US$ 2.000) pra rodar no máximo!!
  11. Jun 4, 2014
    Nice game, but not good enough to be considered the best chapter of GTA saga.
    In comparison to GTA San Andreas does not have that atmosphere that I remember very well so far.
    The city is small and gray. Of course, it's New York, but I remember better the Liberty City of GTA III.
    Another defect is the bad optimization on PC.
  12. Jul 8, 2014
    What can I say about this game ? Great graphics, gameplay, easy to shoot, great story, like Niko Bellic the most. But I'm kind of lazy to play this game.
  13. Jul 15, 2014
    I currently run GTA IV on an older gaming rig and have no issues when running it at max settings, even with an ENBSeries mod. I have played through it many times and have found that I'm always finding new and exciting mods to use. There are currently 4,165 car mods on GTAinside.com alone, and that number grows all the time. I have only found one bug with the game, but I'm not allowing itI currently run GTA IV on an older gaming rig and have no issues when running it at max settings, even with an ENBSeries mod. I have played through it many times and have found that I'm always finding new and exciting mods to use. There are currently 4,165 car mods on GTAinside.com alone, and that number grows all the time. I have only found one bug with the game, but I'm not allowing it to tarnish my score, and that is due to the fact that the bug is entirely a third-party fault. The bug in question is the SMPA60 Unrecoverable Fault, which is caused when a mod maker does not update mesh deformation on a car model. This causes that game to crash at random times, often at checkpoints in missions. This also can lead to a corrupt save file, but can often be fixed by moving all saved cars out of their parking spaces. This bug has caused some trouble but I have no qualms with restarting my game and playing through the story again, as it is a well written, gritty, and dark story that manages to draw you in and not let you go. The humor is dark, the action intense, what more could you want? 10/10 Expand
  14. Jul 19, 2014
    Gta IV : Comment dire ... Juste épic ,Super scénario avec des différents choix a faire . Gros point positive : Les Mods téléchargeable .... Amélioration graphique , nouveau véhicule ,nouvelle armes , possibilité d'incarner la police ...
  15. Jul 31, 2014
    The PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV was pretty great, and it was easy for script modders to make their mods for this game. And what is the #1 reason why anyone would wait to get GTA on the computer? For mods of course, and Rockstar made it pretty easy for the modders to make their mods. Additionally, as for the Games for Windows Live, it was not a good choice to choose that, and it'sThe PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV was pretty great, and it was easy for script modders to make their mods for this game. And what is the #1 reason why anyone would wait to get GTA on the computer? For mods of course, and Rockstar made it pretty easy for the modders to make their mods. Additionally, as for the Games for Windows Live, it was not a good choice to choose that, and it's annoying to have to make an account on GWFL and Rockstar (and maybe Steam), but Bethesda Softworks did the same with Fallout 3, and I see less hate going towards them over that decision than Rockstar. Finally, I would like to say, this game although a bit of hassle, is totally worth it with all of the mods you can add to it, get this game while we wait for GTA V on the PC. Expand
  16. Nov 2, 2014
    Seria Grand Theft Auto, deja duce spre alta perspectiva. Jocul este mult mai real decat predecesorul si te arunca in orasul Liberty City ( orasul in care se desfasoara GTA III). Jocul este bestial, chiar merita.
  17. Sep 9, 2014
    Just your usual hack and slash GTA game, where you do missions, and wreak havoc on Liberty City. Not the most amazing plot I've ever come across, and I can't say I'm too impressed with the game overall, considering the constant tweaking I had to do with the settings in order to make this poorly optimized PC port run smoothly. Not horrible, but definitely nothing to get excited for.
  18. Sep 8, 2014
    Одна из лучших частей: график ,геймплей, музыка все очень очень круто 10 из 10 !!!!!!!!!!!! Developer Молодцы супер !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Один - плохая оптимизация для персонального компьютера .
  19. Sep 5, 2014
    I think all in all Grand Theft Auto IV is nearly a perfect game. The graphics are nearly amazing, so Liberty City appears alive. Indeed, the world is not as big as in GTA San Andreas, but in GTA IV it is rich in detail. There are interesting characters and different activities to do besides the story-missions. The only thing I am criticizing is that a short time the story-missions alwaysI think all in all Grand Theft Auto IV is nearly a perfect game. The graphics are nearly amazing, so Liberty City appears alive. Indeed, the world is not as big as in GTA San Andreas, but in GTA IV it is rich in detail. There are interesting characters and different activities to do besides the story-missions. The only thing I am criticizing is that a short time the story-missions always have the same process. But the story at all ist very good, too. Even because it conveys in some extend that violence is not (always) a way to solve problems - even in a game like GTA. Expand
  20. Sep 9, 2014
    rockstar did a major screw up with the PC port but it got "kinda" patched. New engine opened new modding opportunities. Bad voice acting. Niko's serbian sounds like some douchebag from the us trying to fit in in a group of slavs. Giving the player choices was a bad idea imo. GTA has a fixed storyline and it should remain that way. i dont get the hate though. Shooting and driving wasrockstar did a major screw up with the PC port but it got "kinda" patched. New engine opened new modding opportunities. Bad voice acting. Niko's serbian sounds like some douchebag from the us trying to fit in in a group of slavs. Giving the player choices was a bad idea imo. GTA has a fixed storyline and it should remain that way. i dont get the hate though. Shooting and driving was better than GTA V. Expand
  21. Oct 1, 2014
    Well this game contains the "best" storyline I have seen so far. The constant twists in the plot make it very enjoyable. Unfortunately other than the good storyline it can feel occasionally annoying to be constantly doing missions over and over. Once finish with this game there isn't much you can do except hang out with the protagonists friends, kill civilians, and engage in shoot-outsWell this game contains the "best" storyline I have seen so far. The constant twists in the plot make it very enjoyable. Unfortunately other than the good storyline it can feel occasionally annoying to be constantly doing missions over and over. Once finish with this game there isn't much you can do except hang out with the protagonists friends, kill civilians, and engage in shoot-outs with police and/or gangsters and using cheats. It is near absolute must that you do not buy this game on Steam as this game may fail to start up and a very big bug on the last mission. The major bug prevents the completion of the game on the PC which can be fixed by FRAPS. The graphics aren't the best but are "good" for a game made in 2008. Overall it is a good game with an occasional bug or two a repetitive mission system which can be good or bad depending on if you like missions and the lack of good cheats or anything fun to do after finishing. Although there is a modding community if you wish to change some aspects of the game. Expand
  22. Sep 30, 2014
    It's bad. It's boring. It's broken.
    Now, autumn of 2014, i7-2700 (3,4GHz Quad), 16 GB RAM, Geforce 970 (Maxwell 2), Win8.1-64, SSD: The game does not stutter anymore. Maybe unless you use the X-Box-controller, that is.
    It's bad. It's boring. It's broken.
    Now, you can see GTA4 in its full glory. And it is bad. Graphics? Dated. Well, they were already dated when the game was released in 2008, but hardly anybody noticed that, as nearly everybody was just overwhelmed by the sheer size of the city. Music? No, just awful noise. Dialogues? Do you consider F-words and S-words a bearable dialogue? In that case you do not have a problem with the game. You do have a problem with your life. Missions? Try to navigate a horrible car through a horrible mess of horrible AI and kill someone. Repeat.
    The good news is: The triggers in the game can be broken, so you cannot start the next mission. What about other savegames? It is GfWL - no escape here. The game essentially gives you a "Game over" for free. Thus the game has a useful message after all: Go and play something else.
  23. Oct 16, 2014
    There are few things what I love about this game, but San Andreas I love really more. GTA IV has no atmosphere for me. Niko is the worst guy in GTA series. He makes this game really boring - he's like one of these stupid Russians which play Dota. His family is boring too. Thanks to god for Episodes from Liberty City, which makes game playable in some way.
    Huge map, open world and story is
    Huge map, open world and story is great. Graphic is cool, but I really hate Niko. Thats why I rather play older San Andreas, Vice City or GTA III.
  24. Nov 23, 2014
    OK, seriously, WTF. I'm not even going to write a review on this. When I downloaded this from Steam it really sucked. The graphics were so terrible. Try harder Rockstar.
  25. Dec 10, 2014
    same game play mode in the entire game, you spend more time traveling to the mission than completing it, the only challenge games are the minigames, even the dates are repetitive. Obviously the high rates was for the graphics and free run mode.

1. It's the peripheral distractions of both going out with Roman, and meeting your girlfriends, that really make your virtual life so worth living. Although incredibly simplistic, they're oddly touching...One of the finest videogames ever. [Christmas 2008, p.87]
  2. The most grown-up GTA and the best realised, but it doesn't respect the PC much. Enjoy the multiplayer madness if you can. [Christmas 2008, p.96]
  3. A genuinely ground-breaking blockbuster in videogame history. There were moments playing GTA IV that I thought back to my initial experiences with games, and realised exactly how far we've come. There's never been anything quite like GTA IV in the world. That there makes me genuinely happy to be a gamer.