6.4

Mixed or average reviews- based on 1939 Ratings

1. Dec 18, 2014
    Too much overrated on consoles and pc. Especially with compare to GTA 5. There are still same old problems with control system in vehicles and with Nico. The characters is only one thing, that`s even better than in GTA 5. Normally I`ve get 8.5/10 but with the fact, that half of people simply can`t played game on their pc, I must give 7/10. If they will gave us problems with GTA 5, I willToo much overrated on consoles and pc. Especially with compare to GTA 5. There are still same old problems with control system in vehicles and with Nico. The characters is only one thing, that`s even better than in GTA 5. Normally I`ve get 8.5/10 but with the fact, that half of people simply can`t played game on their pc, I must give 7/10. If they will gave us problems with GTA 5, I will split up with them forever! Expand
  2. Dec 10, 2014
    same game play mode in the entire game, you spend more time traveling to the mission than completing it, the only challenge games are the minigames, even the dates are repetitive. Obviously the high rates was for the graphics and free run mode.
  3. Dec 6, 2014
    This game deserves a much higher user score. The port issues have been fixed within day from release with patches and apart from being a bad port at launch, this is an excellent game.
  4. Nov 23, 2014
    OK, seriously, WTF. I'm not even going to write a review on this. When I downloaded this from Steam it really sucked. The graphics were so terrible. Try harder Rockstar.
  5. Nov 18, 2014
    This game have some optimization problems and you may need a decent system. All performance issues at the side the game is actually very well written. Filled with character and a dark vibe the story is very well made. Gameplay can be a bit clunky but overall it's immersive and you never feel alone in this lively city.
  6. Nov 2, 2014
    Seria Grand Theft Auto, deja duce spre alta perspectiva. Jocul este mult mai real decat predecesorul si te arunca in orasul Liberty City ( orasul in care se desfasoara GTA III). Jocul este bestial, chiar merita.
  7. Oct 31, 2014
    best game ever . all gta games are the best series . i played those games 2 or 3 times over with all DLC, and I still can play them again and again, because the story in those games is so great . waiting for GTA V PC !!!
  8. Oct 21, 2014
    First of all, what an overrated game. Second of all, why are the Critics giving this game such great reviews and everyone else is giving it mixed or negative reviews. Hmm... Mabye because Rockstar is paying them! Nonetheless, Grand Theft Auto IV is a good game but has a weak story, a small map compared to other Grand Theft Auto games, and doesn't have as much variety either. So far, to me,First of all, what an overrated game. Second of all, why are the Critics giving this game such great reviews and everyone else is giving it mixed or negative reviews. Hmm... Mabye because Rockstar is paying them! Nonetheless, Grand Theft Auto IV is a good game but has a weak story, a small map compared to other Grand Theft Auto games, and doesn't have as much variety either. So far, to me, Grand Theft Auto IV is the weakest in the series and is a Rockstar misfire. But, it still gets a 7/10 (good) Expand
  9. Oct 19, 2014
    To je GTA, najbolja igra svih vremena, ali ova epizoda ima puno problema sa optimizacijom, a i zadnjamisija je u nekom cudnom ozracju.................
  10. Oct 17, 2014
    **** Final Mission
    Pc Version have problem but Rockstar cant fix it
    im so fast take Boat and chase dimitri BUT Cant take Jacobs Heli
    15 Times retry same result Mission Failed
    Fuxxcking this game **** programer this mission designer !
    totaly GTA 4 is **** game..
    too many money...cant buy nothing
    and sux framelate and so on
  11. Oct 16, 2014
    There are few things what I love about this game, but San Andreas I love really more. GTA IV has no atmosphere for me. Niko is the worst guy in GTA series. He makes this game really boring - he's like one of these stupid Russians which play Dota. His family is boring too. Thanks to god for Episodes from Liberty City, which makes game playable in some way.
    Huge map, open world and story is
    Huge map, open world and story is great. Graphic is cool, but I really hate Niko. Thats why I rather play older San Andreas, Vice City or GTA III.
  12. Oct 1, 2014
    Well this game contains the "best" storyline I have seen so far. The constant twists in the plot make it very enjoyable. Unfortunately other than the good storyline it can feel occasionally annoying to be constantly doing missions over and over. Once finish with this game there isn't much you can do except hang out with the protagonists friends, kill civilians, and engage in shoot-outsWell this game contains the "best" storyline I have seen so far. The constant twists in the plot make it very enjoyable. Unfortunately other than the good storyline it can feel occasionally annoying to be constantly doing missions over and over. Once finish with this game there isn't much you can do except hang out with the protagonists friends, kill civilians, and engage in shoot-outs with police and/or gangsters and using cheats. It is near absolute must that you do not buy this game on Steam as this game may fail to start up and a very big bug on the last mission. The major bug prevents the completion of the game on the PC which can be fixed by FRAPS. The graphics aren't the best but are "good" for a game made in 2008. Overall it is a good game with an occasional bug or two a repetitive mission system which can be good or bad depending on if you like missions and the lack of good cheats or anything fun to do after finishing. Although there is a modding community if you wish to change some aspects of the game. Expand
  13. Sep 30, 2014
    It's bad. It's boring. It's broken.
    Now, autumn of 2014, i7-2700 (3,4GHz Quad), 16 GB RAM, Geforce 970 (Maxwell 2), Win8.1-64, SSD: The game does not stutter anymore. Maybe unless you use the X-Box-controller, that is.
    It's bad. It's boring. It's broken.
    Now, you can see GTA4 in its full glory. And it is bad. Graphics? Dated. Well, they were already dated when the game was released in 2008, but hardly anybody noticed that, as nearly everybody was just overwhelmed by the sheer size of the city. Music? No, just awful noise. Dialogues? Do you consider F-words and S-words a bearable dialogue? In that case you do not have a problem with the game. You do have a problem with your life. Missions? Try to navigate a horrible car through a horrible mess of horrible AI and kill someone. Repeat.
    The good news is: The triggers in the game can be broken, so you cannot start the next mission. What about other savegames? It is GfWL - no escape here. The game essentially gives you a "Game over" for free. Thus the game has a useful message after all: Go and play something else.
  14. Sep 29, 2014
    Absolutely amazing experience. The perfect amount of action, humor, and customization to make every gamer happy. Missions are kept interesting, the story is always kept interesting with lots of plot twists. The open world is large with plenty of vehicles and interaction with civilians and also hidden missions when you pass by certain ones. All of the characters have great personalities andAbsolutely amazing experience. The perfect amount of action, humor, and customization to make every gamer happy. Missions are kept interesting, the story is always kept interesting with lots of plot twists. The open world is large with plenty of vehicles and interaction with civilians and also hidden missions when you pass by certain ones. All of the characters have great personalities and make an amazing experience overall. Expand
  15. Sep 25, 2014
    The radio is just the best soundtrack I ever heard. Main defaults: dumb police, disappearing cars and very very bad acrobatics. Otherwise, such a pleasure!
  16. Sep 9, 2014
    Just your usual hack and slash GTA game, where you do missions, and wreak havoc on Liberty City. Not the most amazing plot I've ever come across, and I can't say I'm too impressed with the game overall, considering the constant tweaking I had to do with the settings in order to make this poorly optimized PC port run smoothly. Not horrible, but definitely nothing to get excited for.
  17. Sep 9, 2014
    rockstar did a major screw up with the PC port but it got "kinda" patched. New engine opened new modding opportunities. Bad voice acting. Niko's serbian sounds like some douchebag from the us trying to fit in in a group of slavs. Giving the player choices was a bad idea imo. GTA has a fixed storyline and it should remain that way. i dont get the hate though. Shooting and driving wasrockstar did a major screw up with the PC port but it got "kinda" patched. New engine opened new modding opportunities. Bad voice acting. Niko's serbian sounds like some douchebag from the us trying to fit in in a group of slavs. Giving the player choices was a bad idea imo. GTA has a fixed storyline and it should remain that way. i dont get the hate though. Shooting and driving was better than GTA V. Expand
  18. Sep 8, 2014
    Одна из лучших частей: график ,геймплей, музыка все очень очень круто 10 из 10 !!!!!!!!!!!! Developer Молодцы супер !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Один - плохая оптимизация для персонального компьютера .
  19. Sep 5, 2014
    I think all in all Grand Theft Auto IV is nearly a perfect game. The graphics are nearly amazing, so Liberty City appears alive. Indeed, the world is not as big as in GTA San Andreas, but in GTA IV it is rich in detail. There are interesting characters and different activities to do besides the story-missions. The only thing I am criticizing is that a short time the story-missions alwaysI think all in all Grand Theft Auto IV is nearly a perfect game. The graphics are nearly amazing, so Liberty City appears alive. Indeed, the world is not as big as in GTA San Andreas, but in GTA IV it is rich in detail. There are interesting characters and different activities to do besides the story-missions. The only thing I am criticizing is that a short time the story-missions always have the same process. But the story at all ist very good, too. Even because it conveys in some extend that violence is not (always) a way to solve problems - even in a game like GTA. Expand
  20. Aug 8, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto IV is a massive, amazing, beautiful game. For consoles, that is.

It seems that the great aspects of this game, and though there are many of them, are vastly outweighed by the simple fact that Rockstar Games couldn't take the time to even do as much as simply pretend that they care about their PC gaming fans.

21. Jul 31, 2014
    The PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV was pretty great, and it was easy for script modders to make their mods for this game. And what is the #1 reason why anyone would wait to get GTA on the computer? For mods of course, and Rockstar made it pretty easy for the modders to make their mods. Additionally, as for the Games for Windows Live, it was not a good choice to choose that, and it'sThe PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV was pretty great, and it was easy for script modders to make their mods for this game. And what is the #1 reason why anyone would wait to get GTA on the computer? For mods of course, and Rockstar made it pretty easy for the modders to make their mods. Additionally, as for the Games for Windows Live, it was not a good choice to choose that, and it's annoying to have to make an account on GWFL and Rockstar (and maybe Steam), but Bethesda Softworks did the same with Fallout 3, and I see less hate going towards them over that decision than Rockstar. Finally, I would like to say, this game although a bit of hassle, is totally worth it with all of the mods you can add to it, get this game while we wait for GTA V on the PC. Expand
  22. Jul 19, 2014
    Gta IV : Comment dire ... Juste épic ,Super scénario avec des différents choix a faire . Gros point positive : Les Mods téléchargeable .... Amélioration graphique , nouveau véhicule ,nouvelle armes , possibilité d'incarner la police ...
  23. Jul 15, 2014
    I currently run GTA IV on an older gaming rig and have no issues when running it at max settings, even with an ENBSeries mod. I have played through it many times and have found that I'm always finding new and exciting mods to use. There are currently 4,165 car mods on GTAinside.com alone, and that number grows all the time. I have only found one bug with the game, but I'm not allowing itI currently run GTA IV on an older gaming rig and have no issues when running it at max settings, even with an ENBSeries mod. I have played through it many times and have found that I'm always finding new and exciting mods to use. There are currently 4,165 car mods on GTAinside.com alone, and that number grows all the time. I have only found one bug with the game, but I'm not allowing it to tarnish my score, and that is due to the fact that the bug is entirely a third-party fault. The bug in question is the SMPA60 Unrecoverable Fault, which is caused when a mod maker does not update mesh deformation on a car model. This causes that game to crash at random times, often at checkpoints in missions. This also can lead to a corrupt save file, but can often be fixed by moving all saved cars out of their parking spaces. This bug has caused some trouble but I have no qualms with restarting my game and playing through the story again, as it is a well written, gritty, and dark story that manages to draw you in and not let you go. The humor is dark, the action intense, what more could you want? 10/10 Expand
  24. Jul 8, 2014
    What can I say about this game ? Great graphics, gameplay, easy to shoot, great story, like Niko Bellic the most. But I'm kind of lazy to play this game.
  25. Jun 7, 2014
    I thought it was really fun and runs smooth but that's probably because I have a really good gaming pc. I don't usually play games that long because something new comes out and I switch games but this one seems to never run out of stuff to do. The graphics aren't amazing but this also released back in 2008. There is so much stuff to do in this game and if you mod it, it makes it evenI thought it was really fun and runs smooth but that's probably because I have a really good gaming pc. I don't usually play games that long because something new comes out and I switch games but this one seems to never run out of stuff to do. The graphics aren't amazing but this also released back in 2008. There is so much stuff to do in this game and if you mod it, it makes it even better. Most people reviewed it bad because they don't have a good gaming pc. Expand
  26. Jun 4, 2014
    Nice game, but not good enough to be considered the best chapter of GTA saga.
    In comparison to GTA San Andreas does not have that atmosphere that I remember very well so far.
    The city is small and gray. Of course, it's New York, but I remember better the Liberty City of GTA III.
    Another defect is the bad optimization on PC.
  27. May 30, 2014
    Points for the fantastic graphics, but unfortunately, the game is so painfully laggy that it's beyond the point of being playable. Even after trying everything to fix the situation, this game just doesn't want to cooperate with my PC. Hopefully, Rockstar is able to avoid these kind of bugs in future games.
  28. May 25, 2014
    A Rockstar tem uma falta de respeito muito grande pelos PC Gamers... este jogo é pesado demais... e até hoje em dia, nem todos os PC's rodam esse jogo!! Você terá que desembolsar R$ 2.000 (US$ 2.000) pra rodar no máximo!!
  29. May 17, 2014
    Very good game despite a smaller map than its predecessor. However, this is normal because the story takes place in Liberty City (New York), smaller than San Andreas city and its suburbs. The story is good, quite long, and the graphics are very nice for a game in 2008. Briefly, a good game to buy with its predecessor, as these are the 2 best GTA PC.
  30. May 15, 2014
    This is the most bugged game EVER MADE. This game will not even start for me, even after I called Rockstar and spent 3 hours moving files and such to try to get it to work. It has so many glitches and bugs it is not even fun in any way. I played a console version at a friend's house, and cars still can't turn when going over 5 MPH. This game is a disaster. Don't get it unless it's on aThis is the most bugged game EVER MADE. This game will not even start for me, even after I called Rockstar and spent 3 hours moving files and such to try to get it to work. It has so many glitches and bugs it is not even fun in any way. I played a console version at a friend's house, and cars still can't turn when going over 5 MPH. This game is a disaster. Don't get it unless it's on a humble bundle. Expand
  31. May 9, 2014
    Game: Grand Theft Auto IV
    Genre: Shooting-Action
    Developer: Rockstar System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 85/100 Value Score: 8.5/10 • Story: 8/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 8/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 7/10 • Length: 9/10 • Replay Value: 9/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Bigger City than in GTAIII, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas +A lot of
    Game: Grand Theft Auto IV

• Music: 7/10
    • Length: 9/10
    • Replay Value: 9/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

Pros
    +Bigger City than in GTAIII, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas
    +A lot of special events, mini games, etc to play
    +Driving is more realistic than previous games (most people will like this)
    +Multiple Endings
    +Voice acting is fantastic
    +Phone system which gives you access to interacting with other characters, cheats, and other features
    +Replay Value focuses mostly on the open world, mini games, assassination missions and etc missions like previous games
    +Unique features such as the ability to use the police system to track down characters and the ability to get on the internet for additional missions + dating, etc ties more into the replay value as well as gameplay.

Cons
    -Driving can be a pain sometimes (especially when it comes to flying vehicles and boats) compared to previous games cause of the realistic like mechanics (more realistic than previous games)
    -Too many chasing missions which repeat the process again and again far more often than in previous GTA games
    -Stats, physical appearance, etc from San Andreas removed
    -Safe houses reduced significantly and only accessible through storyline terms rather than purchasing like in previous games
  32. Apr 27, 2014
    I enjoyed it, but I was expecting more. I know it's not easy to make better than San Andreas, but I think GTA IV has great action too and it's a great game indeed.
  33. Apr 21, 2014
    Repetitive missions. Forgettable character. Boring storyline. The only good things are the graphic. IMO, I didn't like the music. How professional company rated this as good is beyond me.
  34. Apr 12, 2014
    This is still an outstanding game. I'm waiting for GTA V for PC (or PS4) but the graphics, music, missions, shooting mechanics (even with controller), are just great. This is much fun to play. And the best of this game is the humor. I almost can't believe this game is already 6 years old. The satiric humor on the radio stations is still spot-on, aiming at the current western society.
  35. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is a disgrace to the Grand Theft Auto franchise. Let me explain myself. Positives: Most realistic GTA game (ex. Cars shift weight when they turn, new ragdoll physics, car physics, so much physics) Cab rides, officially implemented multiplayer, and finally some freaking beds. Negatives: Story is overrated as COD, can't keep a steady frame rate. EVER. THE MISSIONS. THE MISSIONS AREThis game is a disgrace to the Grand Theft Auto franchise. Let me explain myself. Positives: Most realistic GTA game (ex. Cars shift weight when they turn, new ragdoll physics, car physics, so much physics) Cab rides, officially implemented multiplayer, and finally some freaking beds. Negatives: Story is overrated as COD, can't keep a steady frame rate. EVER. THE MISSIONS. THE MISSIONS ARE SO BAD THAT THERE IS NO WORD THAT CAN DESCRIBE THEM. All the other GTA games had good characters at least. GTA IV? Nope. At least GTA IV: TBoGT made some of them interesting. The world is so drab and devoid of ineteresting environments. Rockstar turned GTA III's Liberty City from a thrilling, backstabbing, gang and drug filled world into 40,000 identical city streets with only the drugs kept into it. Other characters you meet throughout your "adventure" can become you "friends". What does this mean? It means that Roman will call you every 5 minutes to go bowling. Packie will call you every 5 minutes to throw darts, and your terrible plot twist of a girlfriend will want to go out with you on a date every 5 minutes. There's like to clothes stores which sell all the same drab, greyish colors of the city. The only reason I'm giving this game a five is that, being the young boy I am, This was my first GTA game, and even though the missions were repetitive, I thought open world games were so cool. The idea of roaming around a huge area was foreign to me, and I loved every second of it. Anyway, if you want to know what GTA IV was striving to be, (a fun game with realistic, but colorful, graphics and story) download Just Cause 2. It is my favorite open world game (San Andreas being 2nd place, of course). Get it on PC, but use a gamepad of some sort. Expand
  36. Apr 1, 2014
    Pro: very good gameplay (shooting, driving, shooting and driving), good storyline and characters, graphic are not so bad, major improvement comparing to gta sa, love the details of small things (tv, pc, taxi service etc)

cons: bugs, first timer would have lots of problem (system specs, settings, game protection), no checkpoint savegames during missions (imean if you're like 90% to complete the mission and you **** up you gotta start from the beginning of the mission), less spacious than gta sa map, no planes, crappy heli controls.

*never played its multiplayer, so aint saying any comment for that
  37. Mar 23, 2014
    Very Disappointed

Very Disappointed

They've messed up real life simulation and fun game play. The whole game feels like a drag. Emotionally unstable protagonist which most of the times does not represent what the player wants/feels. Story-wise everything feels schemed. Majority of the characters are being killed/disposed off before you even know them. You play for around 20hours into the story to find out the real story behind it all, which in fact, is very poor. Thinking about spending time and building relationships/friendships? Absolute waste of time. Girlfriends are getting discarded like flies through "Storytelling". Constant drama and personal-family affairs are just horrible representation.

Game-wise. Graphics are mediocre at best. They've pulled this strange, and rather unwanted, dirt-brown filter onto everything, to simulate a dirty (real life?) city. To say the least it all fails. The game was designed for a console. With limited resources and computational power in mind. And this version of the game in just a port, and a cheap one, they didn't even bother implementing anti-aliasing into the game. No matter that, knowing it's 5years old game, and the availability of graphical enhancers around this is all semi-fixable, and can be disregarded by majority.

Mechanics. The physics, AI, and other inner mechanics are very poor designed, if they were designed at all. Vehicle controls are as crappy as ever. Especially every other car that you aren't driving. Motorcycles flying into the air like balloons on every impact. Inflammable cars with a touch of a finger. Cars no longer have fuel tanks apparently. You have to shoot the rims of the car for it to get a blazed and explode. Forget about flat tires. Firing at tires does nothing. Shoot the rims for effect. which goes in three stages apparently. Flat tire -> broken rim -> car in flames. No purchasable safe-houses. No property ownership with benefits. Just story set crappy apartments forces upon you. I recall parachutes and jet packs in previous game installments, non of that here. No "gang members" recruitment. You can't call out for someone to help. Missions scripts are more broken than ever. Sometimes it feels like you have to perform brain-surgery operation to get in place for mission to progress.

Overally. Having played Vice City, and getting very amazed back in the day, it was improved and topped up with creativity with San Andreas. But, as it seems, they decided to literally downgrade the game for "reality feel". They've removed so much it is unbelievable this game was in production so long. No car customization, no garage, you can't call a ballet to bring you your car. They've spent so much time and effort into rag-doll simulation and animations things just fly by while you are trying to enter a vehicle. Muscle, stamina have been removed. Character customization is just non-existing. You have Niko Bellic as he is. You can buy him a nice suit. That's about it. The whole experience feels like stripped down game. It is rather ironic that throughout the game there are multiple references and mentioning of Vice City, and how much better things are there.

Conclusion. This review is based on completing the game. I am not one of those who played couple of hours and made their conclusions. Being GTA fan for a decade it is really a shame that such a franchise ended up in such state. It is all down the hill from now on. I am really afraid even taking GTA5 in my hands. Thinking that it will be just like GTA4 with three Niko Bellics running around. Not recommended.
  38. Mar 15, 2014
    Игра нехорошая, некачественно сделана. Начиная с графики на своем ужасном движке и заканчивая миссиями, которые очень сложно пройти и сложность игры нельзя поменять. Они врут, что много денег тратят на игру, они ничего не тратят, они даже движок нормальный для игры покупать не хотят, делают на своем движке. А игру покупают, потому что она популярна и люди деградированы настолько, чтоИгра нехорошая, некачественно сделана. Начиная с графики на своем ужасном движке и заканчивая миссиями, которые очень сложно пройти и сложность игры нельзя поменять. Они врут, что много денег тратят на игру, они ничего не тратят, они даже движок нормальный для игры покупать не хотят, делают на своем движке. А игру покупают, потому что она популярна и люди деградированы настолько, что играют в такое. Expand
  39. Mar 8, 2014
    A lot of people claim this is a dull GTA game, and say San Andreas is better. San Andreas had more replay value, but GTA IV's story is one of the most underrated stories in a video game ever. It knows when its a good time to be serious, and when it's a good time to be humorous. However, the PC port requires a high-end graphics card even though my computer can run games with better graphicsA lot of people claim this is a dull GTA game, and say San Andreas is better. San Andreas had more replay value, but GTA IV's story is one of the most underrated stories in a video game ever. It knows when its a good time to be serious, and when it's a good time to be humorous. However, the PC port requires a high-end graphics card even though my computer can run games with better graphics than this fine, so its clearly the game that has the problem. Expand
  40. Mar 5, 2014
    It has good graphics and many activities to do, but the missions are repetitive and the plot is not good. Scams and sexual perversion is, something that is not popular video game. 7 and nothing else.
  41. Feb 17, 2014
    Freedom is really the best time was the best graphics, but the mission fails, restart the system without a save point .... Was the worst. But still, no matter how it's traditional ahswiwotda gta series
  42. Feb 14, 2014
    I like GTA games but this one is a bit boring. The graphics are really good but the missions failed to keep me entertained. The Windows Live was also something very annnoying.
  43. Feb 6, 2014
    I love this series, from GTA 3 to San Andreas. They are simply brilliant. This one is just as great but there are 2 things which are maddening. First, my PC almost died when I started this game, and it was a high-end machine at the time. Second, the last mission is unplayable on PC. This makes it 2 titles in the series which make me abandon the game at the last mission. ExtremelyI love this series, from GTA 3 to San Andreas. They are simply brilliant. This one is just as great but there are 2 things which are maddening. First, my PC almost died when I started this game, and it was a high-end machine at the time. Second, the last mission is unplayable on PC. This makes it 2 titles in the series which make me abandon the game at the last mission. Extremely disappointed. Because everything else is perfect, 8 is a fair rating. Expand
  44. Jan 12, 2014
    Greatest open world action adventure i've played.
    the world is EPIC and alive with stunning visuals,good looking NPCs and awesome weather changes.
    really Great voice actors and EPIC charachters that you gonna remember alot of them. the gameplay is really good.......when you shoot someone in his leg he falls and crawls and when you shoot someone on the roof he falls from it, i mean the
    Greatest open world action adventure i've played.
    the gameplay is really good.......when you shoot someone in his leg he falls and crawls and when you shoot someone on the roof he falls from it, i mean the developers did awesome things in the gameplay that i've never seen in alot of games.
    AWESOME radio stations especially the Vladivostok,San juan,The beat,electro and radio Broker,btw my fav song in the game was Gruppa krovi from the Vladivostok FM.
    Stunning cars and driving is awesome and realistic,also realistic crashing and accidents are with no doubt one of the best things in the game,i mean you can just take a car and run into some people and have alot of fun.
    my problems with this game are:
    1- alot of missions are all about whacking and killing people with no strange ideas for missions like these in San andreas.
    2-the game has tons of awesome characters but alot of them you will do 2 missions or 3 only like (Manny,Play boy-X,Bruce and Little jacob)
    3-The story is good but nothing special.
    overall this game is great,you have great graphics,Awesome characters,EPIC living world,great voice actors especially NIKO and Little jacob,alot of new ideas like phone,going online and attending a shows, great main theme and radio stations,also dating was really good.
    but i guess the console version is better.
  45. Jan 5, 2014
    Very late review, but I felt a sudden need to say that this game was an utter disappointment. Flat out boring story and characters, but worst of all, I didnt have fun doing the good old GTA about in the world stuff. It just didnt invite me in...
  46. Jan 3, 2014
    Nice story nice graphics nice gameplay
    Umm.. tell me a thing what is NOT nice PC optimization...
    The game has an bad optimization on PC version that you'll need an high-end graphic card to play it on low-medium settings
    Despite that it's a nice game
  47. Dec 31, 2013
    Anyone that says we shouldn't complain about the game not working, is a moron. Most of us have advanced gaming rigs, like myself. There are known issues with this game that Rockstar has not patched. Its not like its a rare occasion that the game isn't working. There are tons of reports on the game being completely broken. Its not a hardware problem you idiots, its software. In other words,Anyone that says we shouldn't complain about the game not working, is a moron. Most of us have advanced gaming rigs, like myself. There are known issues with this game that Rockstar has not patched. Its not like its a rare occasion that the game isn't working. There are tons of reports on the game being completely broken. Its not a hardware problem you idiots, its software. In other words, the game was not created to be compatible-friendly to everyone. We shouldn't be expected to fix their mistakes. Play with folders and files. If I wanted to mess around in the folders, I would have pirated it. Also If it was our rigs, then why do all other games work? Literally GTA IV is the only game to not function properly.

But besides my game not working right. The Social Club DRM is down only on GTA IV, the website will take my login, but not the game, you know, where its intended to be used. But that's fine, we could always play single player, right? Nope, because we can't save the game when you cant login to the servers. Why bother the game. Me personally can't even start up story mode, and I can't login to the servers to play online. We should not accept this garbage. I'm sure the game is fantastic when its working. But I have to judge it as its entirety. Unfortunately a poor interface destroyed a potentially excellent PC game.

Personally I have to do a 0 because it was not functioning at all. I tried fixing it for hours, tried all the known methods, and had no luck. If I was able to actually play the game then I could have been a little more focused on the game's mechanics.

##tl;dr Version##
    1. DRM, servers are down only in game. You can't play online.
    2. DRM also is required just to save local story mode.
    3. Thousands of cases of the game not even functions, and users are on their own to fix them.
    4. Personally in my cause, I couldn't fix them.
  48. Dec 14, 2013
    Rockstar really impressed me with this. Besides the bugs, the game is awesome. We had a 360 console for everyone and it blew up so then we all had got our own and then must of our owns blew up so now we're playing it on pc. No performance issues or any problems with the difficulty level. I have quite a GTA collection. 10/10 including all GTA games.
  49. Dec 3, 2013
    Pro of GTA IV.

-It got very nice ragdoll system -Good police AI but not very good -Cover system -HUD take up less screen -GPS system,it helped me much when I am new to this game -Funny characters,I really like Roman and Niko much -Rockstar being creative by making thing looks grey and blurry to fit atmosphere of the game -Swing set glitch! Cons of GTA IV -Peds not using
    Pro of GTA IV.

-It got very nice ragdoll system
    -Good police AI but not very good
    -Cover system
    -HUD take up less screen
    -GPS system,it helped me much when I am new to this game
    -Funny characters,I really like Roman and Niko much
    -Swing set glitch!

Cons of GTA IV

-Peds not using ragdoll on far away
    -Worst performence on PC,my game's FPS stuck between 5-15 on my high end PC
    -Too many cheaters on multiplayer
    -Some vehicles is spawned on wrong place which cause epic traffic jam
    -Friend feature will getting annoying if you played GTA IV from a long time.
    -Unable to customize your vehicle
    -If your car park has more than 2 vehicles,one of your vehicle will gone due to a bug.
  50. Nov 30, 2013
    I think earlier versions had nicer control and more fluid gameplay on PC. Besides, the ton of copy protection took me hours to figure out (it's really a huge pile of and bugs are abundant, I'll go with Saints Row from now on.
  51. Nov 23, 2013
    Metacritic doesn't let you delete reviews so I'm writing a load of useless, pointless garbage to fill up the minimum of one hundred and fifty characters.
  52. Nov 21, 2013
    This game is rather hard to rate due to it's terrible port to the PC.
    However, gameplay wise it offers a heck of a lot, but not enough to beat San Andreas or the mighty king that is Vice City.
    I did enjoy the game, but there is so many graphical issues and performance issues that take you from the immersion.
    Not a bad game, not a fantastic one either, but worth a play.
  53. Nov 20, 2013
    1 point, because of included video editor. When this game was released, I bought it (was the last game I ever bought) and was very, very disappointed. I will not talk bout windows live and social club crappy malware applications, don't worry. Shortly: After Vice city and San Andreas has arrived a called GTA IV. Graphic was ugly, no anti-aliasing, but including disgusting grainy shadows1 point, because of included video editor. When this game was released, I bought it (was the last game I ever bought) and was very, very disappointed. I will not talk bout windows live and social club crappy malware applications, don't worry. Shortly: After Vice city and San Andreas has arrived a called GTA IV. Graphic was ugly, no anti-aliasing, but including disgusting grainy shadows and colors was totally bleached, aka desaturated. Just ugly, absolutely ugly and playable barely at 30 fps on superb PC. Story is also boring as fuk, full of non-sense stereotype missions, all you do is driving a fukin car, and driving a car in this game is like driving a on wheels. When you finish the game, you have like million dollars, but all you can do is buy a million of hotdogs or t-shirts. Where else to spent all those money? It's useless! Remember how you was counting every penny in Vice city to buy Malibu club? Forget that! This is GTA IV, this is You can't even do a taxi missions. No taxi missions in a city situated into pseudo-New York! Fukin scandal, there's nothing to do after you finish story line. Whole city is empty, boring, dull. This game is a of a decade. Oh, and this is great: Your phone is constantly ringing and that fat fuk cousin of yours always want to go bowling, great. This game ruined my Christmas in 2008, thanks Rockstar for this lazy utter crap. Expand
  54. Nov 20, 2013
    Just finished the game and I have to say that I did enjoy most of it. The story kept me playing and wanting to know what happens next. Characters were well written. Performance was decent, better what I expected. But here comes the big downside; it is a port and not a good one. The aiming felt terrible, everything but precise. I also felt some mouse input lag, though it might be partlyJust finished the game and I have to say that I did enjoy most of it. The story kept me playing and wanting to know what happens next. Characters were well written. Performance was decent, better what I expected. But here comes the big downside; it is a port and not a good one. The aiming felt terrible, everything but precise. I also felt some mouse input lag, though it might be partly because of the occasional slowdowns. Everything above I can deal with, since the story was quite good and the world was somewhat interesting, but there was this huge glitch in the last mission. Probably not news to anyone anymore but god damn was it frustrating. Google it. Never ever again. For the summary: Great story, great characters, decent world and decent frame rate but such a horrible pc port which is the reason why I wouldn't play it again on pc. Expand
  55. Nov 16, 2013
    Many people here seem to be complaining about performance issues without stating their card.

I'm running the game on a GT 635m, It runs alright with no shadows on at 1360x768, Textures Medium, V-Sync on and Tripple buffering, I also went into the Geforce Control panel and manually enabled FXAA which cleans up those edges without destroying frame rate. As for gameplay, I just found it

As for gameplay, I just found it boring. The physics are good but the storyline is pretty tedious, I can't relate to the main charactor because he seems to be a dick head and no matter how you dress him he looks like a tramp. The whole game world is grey with some kind of weird bloom so without mods it's even ugly to explore.

There are better games out there, Sleeping Dogs/Saints Row both do a better job of entertaining open world gaming.
  56. Nov 13, 2013
    Learning nothing about improving the experience for the player but making better graphics and more interesting characters we have GTA IV. It's not horrible but it's blown out of the water by the saints row franchise.
  57. Nov 13, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto IV was an amazing culmination of graphics and story and of course our favorite reason to play GTA, the ability to walk up to anyone and....... kill them. But what stood out to me the most was GTA IV Story. GTA IV's protagonist, Niko Bellic, is a man that a lot of people can relate to; he is just tired and always drawn into things he doesn't want to do but he does themGrand Theft Auto IV was an amazing culmination of graphics and story and of course our favorite reason to play GTA, the ability to walk up to anyone and....... kill them. But what stood out to me the most was GTA IV Story. GTA IV's protagonist, Niko Bellic, is a man that a lot of people can relate to; he is just tired and always drawn into things he doesn't want to do but he does them because he needs to; a very admirable quality. He also has a hint of P.T.S.D syndrome from going through war and doing a lot of things he didn't want to do and seeing a lot of things he didn't want to see. Yet he toils on to help his cousin with his financtial problems and then protect him from various very bad characters. He is a big step up from GTA III's protagonist who's name isn't even mentioned in game and he doesn't even talk. So the compelling story and the amazing, borderline lag your computer graphics is why I think this game is so great. Expand
  58. Nov 11, 2013
    best game best gamebest game best gamebest game best gamebest game best gamebest game best gamebest game best gamebest game best gamebest game best gamebest game best gamebest game best gamebest game best gamebest game best gamebest game best game
  59. Nov 9, 2013
    What a mess, where can I start... This is hard to write, because this game is what ruined one of my favorite game series for me. First of all, the installation process. It took me hours to get running! I had to install Rockstar Games Social Club, then the atrocious Games for Windows Live, verify the game online and click on buttons of message boxes that had screwed up fonts, so I had noWhat a mess, where can I start... This is hard to write, because this game is what ruined one of my favorite game series for me. First of all, the installation process. It took me hours to get running! I had to install Rockstar Games Social Club, then the atrocious Games for Windows Live, verify the game online and click on buttons of message boxes that had screwed up fonts, so I had no idea what I was actually pressing and had to get through all this with trial and error. After I've finally gotten everything running another disappointment followed. The game couldn't run even at 10 fps on full graphics on my gaming PC that could handle anything for years to come after that, worst optimization I have ever come across. The game itself was okay, but OK doesn't cut it for a GTA title. Niko was a very plain and boring character (What was his motivation to do everything he did? He needs money? Wow... great story right there.) and Liberty City felt too grey and boring. The missions were also a pain to get through instead of actually being fun, the same boring thing over and over again. It's too bad, this game could really have been something, in reality it was just an over-hyped piece of Expand
  60. Nov 3, 2013
    First off. terrible port even with my core i5 4570 and amd 7870 the game lags like The textures are just so bad same with meshes in doors. And the story line is just the same over and over do this go do that bla bla all you do is drive there do that then do it again its boring as hell. I hope they actually optimize GTA V for pc this time instead of spending 2 mins porting it to pc
  61. vpm
    Nov 1, 2013
    I'm just going to keep this simple, since the game is quite old already and way too many people have reviewed this.
    Nowadays, this game is great fun. Sure it's still quite the technical drama with the memory leaks and all, but on a decent system it's more than playable. I've been playing it on my system for almost 3 years now. What makes this game really fun is its great modability. There are some gems out there, transforming this game into something I think even Rockstar wouldn't have come up with.
    I use just one mod in this game (since something like ICE only make it extra buggy): Realistic handling damage. This makes for a decent driving experience and jacks up the difficulty (police chases) a lot. Cars simply don't handle like tanks anymore. Once you crash, you're done!

Some things Rockstar did a very good (not great) job at:
    - Integrating Euphoria
    - Traffic simulator
    - Interesting enough & lengthy campaign (not minding our protagonist is just an overgrown delivery boy)

They flunked at the port, but everybody knows that by now. As I said, it's very well playable when you know your hardware (see EyjoK.'s review) and install the proper mod(s).
  62. Oct 24, 2013
    GTA IV is a fantastic game, with excellent fiction and a city that has its own character. I am on my second play through now in preparation for GTA V for the PC and it feels as fresh as it did 3 years ago. I must say that you really need a fast CPU to get good frame rates from this game... I upgraded from a Core2Quad to a Core i5 4670K recently and the game finally runs at 60fps usingGTA IV is a fantastic game, with excellent fiction and a city that has its own character. I am on my second play through now in preparation for GTA V for the PC and it feels as fresh as it did 3 years ago. I must say that you really need a fast CPU to get good frame rates from this game... I upgraded from a Core2Quad to a Core i5 4670K recently and the game finally runs at 60fps using the same video card... NVidia GTX 480. The game does NOT run better with a better video card. Expand
  63. Oct 17, 2013
    Decent-ish PC port. My computer is lucky enough to run it, GFWL isn't screwing up for me or anything, but the missions are a bit boring, and the final mission is bugged. You MUST use a xbox controller or a framerate limiter to be able to do the QTE/Button mashing on the last level(s). Depending on either a deal or revenge. The one thing that the PC version makes up for is the replay editorDecent-ish PC port. My computer is lucky enough to run it, GFWL isn't screwing up for me or anything, but the missions are a bit boring, and the final mission is bugged. You MUST use a xbox controller or a framerate limiter to be able to do the QTE/Button mashing on the last level(s). Depending on either a deal or revenge. The one thing that the PC version makes up for is the replay editor and mods like Simple Native Trainer and LCPDFR. Expand
  64. Oct 11, 2013
    This game is completely and utterly terrible. Its boring and repetitive and ridiculously frustrating. The only thing I liked was the city. Liberty City breathes and feels real, That's the only thing I like about this game, other then that, it's simply terrible and a waste of money. Even the textures are terrible for its time.
  65. Oct 6, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto is Grand Theft Auto. It's a game where you get to steal any car you want, murder any person you want and get away with it scot-free (well almost, unless you're caught in the act but the cops are pretty incompetent). It's every misogynist's fantasy and it does it very well. However, the game is pretty dated now so you're probably better off with newer and far superior fareGrand Theft Auto is Grand Theft Auto. It's a game where you get to steal any car you want, murder any person you want and get away with it scot-free (well almost, unless you're caught in the act but the cops are pretty incompetent). It's every misogynist's fantasy and it does it very well. However, the game is pretty dated now so you're probably better off with newer and far superior fare such as Mafia II or Sleeping Dogs, if you're into this sort of thing. Expand
  66. Oct 6, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto IV has a great engine, the graphics are okay, it has great multiplayer and it runs really smooth. But the score was brought down by low view distance, boring story and one of the worst things to ever happen to games industry also known as games for windows live.
  67. Oct 2, 2013
    Compared to previous games in the series this one is kinda boring. Missions aren't that interesting and most characters are kinda annoying. I don't know something was missing, I guess it just wasn't that crazy as the previous ones (at least for me), and the fact someone keeps calling you on the phone all the time doesn't help.
  68. Sep 26, 2013
    I tried valiantly to get into this, since I have been a devote fan of the GTA franchise since I first fired up top-down GTA ever so many years ago. However, I have some fairly sizable complaints. And I feel they're likely shared by others...

While the in-game graphics are lovely, and my rig handles in-game play with ease even at higher detail I noticed immediately that the cut-scenes are the herky-jerkiest mess of nausea-inducing graphical horror imaginable. If my machine can handle maxed out graphical settings in-game, why in the world are cut-scenes such a dreadful chore to render?

Vehicle controls are not just modestly too realistic, they're OVERLY realistic: Making the game feel more like work than an escape probably wasn't the best course to take here. The higher-end cars would seem to be the way out of this quagmire, yet they actually magnify this effect. They're not stogy and unresponsive, no, but they're overly twitchy and even less fun to pilot.

I've played some disappointing Rockstar games in my time, but this one easily tops the list. I say this only having played for a few hours, but I can't honestly think of anything I'd rather continue doing less than muddle through this fiasco.

If you're eagerly awaiting GTA 5 for the PC and are seriously thinking of purchasing this to fill your wistful, empty hours until it is finally released to us PC plebs, I implore you not to bother.

I'd honestly rather replay one of the decent GTA releases, GTA:VC including the impossible RC helicopter missions and ridiculous "try until you want to cry" boat missions all the way through again, rather than continue with this shambolic offering an hour longer.

For shame, Rockstar. For shame.
  69. Sep 24, 2013
    It's very apparent that GTA IV on PC is a sloppy console port, but it's really not the worst out there. It can run well on medium-end hardware with the right tweaks used, you just need to have a brain and enough dedication to search for the tweaks yourself. If you don't, then get the 2nd best version (Xbox 360). Aside from tech issues... Gameplay is solid. Story is interesting (EFLC dlcIt's very apparent that GTA IV on PC is a sloppy console port, but it's really not the worst out there. It can run well on medium-end hardware with the right tweaks used, you just need to have a brain and enough dedication to search for the tweaks yourself. If you don't, then get the 2nd best version (Xbox 360). Aside from tech issues... Gameplay is solid. Story is interesting (EFLC dlc applies). Memorable characters. Lots of humor mixed with seriousness. The character behavior is quite realistic and so are the ragdoll physics. Vehicle collision physics are amazing, like no other game I've seen. Driving cars feels a little weird (fixable with mods). Mods keep this game alive! If you decide to get it on PC, get some mods! Here's a few that will make it worth your while: Icenhancer, Realistic Driving, Simple Native Trainer. I don't know how big multiplayer is nowadays, but back then, it was FUN! But so is single player, running over 30 pedestrians all at once, filling the screen with realistically flopping bodies and watching where they all land. It never gets old to me! Am I deranged? :P Expand
  70. Sep 20, 2013
    GTA as a Game never ever disappointed me. Played every single GTA and i never enjoyed any Game series so much. The Game might be a bit "empty" compared to San Andreas, but GTA IV has a great story and a main character. Physics are also good.

The city appeared more alive compared to any other GTA because of those little quests and random events. We can all agree that the PC port is a

We can all agree that the PC port is a complete disaster. Horrible performance and lots of bugs Rockstar just rushed it and put no effort into it. They made fun of their huge PC playerbase, there is nothing more to say. But yeah, even though the Game ran like crap, even with my good PC, i still loved the Game.
  71. Sep 16, 2013
    I don't get it. I just don't get it. This game does not deserve the 98/100 critic score on 360, even without the problems of this horrible PC port, the game isn't that great. Is Rockstar paying off reviewers for high scores? This game is boring. Sure the story is engaging, but 90% of the time you're just driving around a city. It takes itself too seriously, sure the world has some goofyI don't get it. I just don't get it. This game does not deserve the 98/100 critic score on 360, even without the problems of this horrible PC port, the game isn't that great. Is Rockstar paying off reviewers for high scores? This game is boring. Sure the story is engaging, but 90% of the time you're just driving around a city. It takes itself too seriously, sure the world has some goofy stuff, but the story of the game is too dark and serious, look at Saint's Row, it's cheesy and over the top, that's funny. And now GTA5 has a 98/100 too, and that's depressing. People go after CoD for this all the time, but every GTA game is the same, you drive around, kill people, do missions. There's so many better games out there that just came out that aren't getting any attention, Rayman Legends for instance, that game tries so many fresh ideas, and it works. But gets no attention. This is truly sad for the gaming community. Expand
  72. Sep 14, 2013
    Let's compare this with the 3 previous installments:

GTA 3: the game shines at causing mess in a sandbox environment GTA VC: a very cool protagonist plus a good story in a beautiful city GTA SA: a large map, and missions are of the greatest variety and good humour Then, what do we get in GTA IV? - A very bad PC port with poor optimization shipped several months later after the
    Let's compare this with the 3 previous installments:

GTA 3: the game shines at causing mess in a sandbox environment
    GTA VC: a very cool protagonist plus a good story in a beautiful city
    GTA SA: a large map, and missions are of the greatest variety and good humour

Then, what do we get in GTA IV?
    - A very bad PC port with poor optimization shipped several months later after the console launch
    - Stupid GFWL and other social media program leading to serious random crash and corrupted save
    - Annoying social elements ruining the fun of game
    - Very limited variety in missions, gun-firing to shoot someone nearly all the time
    - The worst driving control of the GTA series

Overall, poor optimization, pretending to be a society simulator and the lack of creativity in mission design just ruin all the fun of this game.
  73. Sep 13, 2013
    This game should be recognised as one of the all time best games for the PC. The gameplay, the new features, mainly the graphics are all superb. Mind blowing storyline, that's all i can say. I mostly loved the three leaf clover mission which u do under Packie if i am not mistaken. That was the best ever GTA mission i've ever done. That was massive climax in the game.
  74. Sep 9, 2013
    This game is a blast to play. The freedom it gives and the options you have are loads of fun, but... BUT... The story is very hard to get into. One of the worst expositions in a game. It didn't make me interested to play it. You just do very mundane chores for about three hours. A very fun game with a bland story.
  75. Sep 3, 2013
    I have to admit this game received mixed reviews. This games still deserves credit though. Its something new. First, I would start with its negative review. So many glitches. It sucked. It lacks a lot from its previous successors.Now, the positive reviews. The game's great. Great graphics, storyline, mechanics and creativity and new features.
  76. Aug 28, 2013
    Rockstar has been making the exact same game ever since GTA3 came out on PS2. Why are people acting like GTA4 is something different? It’s not, except for two things: it’s on a new generation of consoles and is actually worse than GTA3.

First off: anyone praising the graphics is blind or has never played a video game before this one. Textures are muddled, colors are drab, environments are bland, all of which combines to make it difficult to see where you are and where you’re going.

Second: they jacked up the driving physics of the game so now it feels like everything is moving underwater. Turns that used to be simple now send you sliding into walls, which gets frustrating given the large number of slow, crappy cars you seem to be forced to drive in this game.

Third: the stale mission-structured gameplay is exactly the same as it was over 10 years ago. It’s so tedious now. You get a mission giver, you have to drive across town to start the mission, then you have to drive to your mission destination, then back to your house if you want to keep your car. Fail the mission and you have to start the commute again. They have even added in “features” like toll booths now, which create traffic on bridges that honestly make you feel like you are commuting to work because if you charge through them you get an automatic wanted rating.

Oh, and did I mention something about keeping a car you want available? Well, in this game they decided to do away with garages for some reason. You know: the places you used to be able to store vehicles. Now your various pads with have one or two parallel parking spaces out in the middle of the AI-trafficked street and if you park a car there *perfectly* it will be saved. However, if it’s a big car or if the AI traffic knocks it slightly out of place, it will be gone when you reload.

Possibly the most annoying new “feature” of this series is the dating mini-games. You can hang out with certain people to increase their affection toward you, which reaps you certain benefits, but then ALL of them CONSTANTLY call you to hang out, even if you’re in the middle of a mission getting chased by the cops, or in the middle of commuting to do your next mission, or commuting home from your last mission. Whatever. And if you tell them no, even if it’s your own cousin asking you to go bowling again, though you just went bowling with him two days ago, he will get upset and you’ll lose affection. You can’t tell them no.

Also, Liberty City is big but incredibly empty. You will not be rewarded for exploring b/c there is simply not much out there. Instead of secret packages to collect, this time around you have to kill special pigeons, which are very frustrating to find even with the help of a guide. I got to about 20 or so before I asked myself why the hell I was doing it, because I wasn’t having any fun.

Finally, the “story” I keep seeing so many positive reviews refer to is stupid & nonsensical. You’re an illegal alien who begins a career as a professional criminal as soon as you step off the boat. Not much different from any other GTA protagonist aside from not already being a US citizen, right? Except now you’re Borat. AMAZING! There IS NO story! You’re a criminal who makes friends with other criminals throughout the game and then commits criminal acts. *spoiler*

Furthermore, while there may well be 20 hours’ worth of cutscenes (which tend to go on forever) & dialogue (which also never ends during your mission commutes with NPCs), it seems like it was all written by a 10-year old boy. Penis & fart jokes, characters needlessly dropping f-bombs twice a sentence to be “edgy” (I guess), and all-around lame humor in general that makes you roll your eyes and want to skip through every cutscene you come across. Unless you are a 10-year old boy, in which case I guess you’d be in heaven. Maybe that’s the targeted demographic now?

But Rockstar will keep making the same game as long as sheep keep buying it. Anyone who wants to see what an improvement in this genre looks like, I’d direct you toward Saints Row the Third. Not the best game ever, but one that is actually, you know, “fun” to play. Something Rockstar left out of GTA4.
  77. Aug 24, 2013
    The story is great, but the most of the missions involve shoot outs which get's annoying and very repetitive. The PC port is horrible, the controls are fine but the performance is the real issue. My recently bought computer could not keep a steady frame rate at even lowered graphic settings...
    The game doesn't have as much features as San Andreas does, but this one introduces car damage physics, realistic ragdolls ect.
    But other then that, you can't do as much as in San Andreas, in which case the selection of clothing is very limited, you cannot tune your cars, work out to gain strength ect. Later you will be finding yourself not knowing how to spend all of the money you've earned from the missions, there is more ways to earn the cash then to spend it... After all I'll still give this game a very weak 7.
    I'm really looking forward to GTA V and let's hope it wont port as badly as this one did.
  78. Aug 23, 2013
    Is Grand Theft Auto IV a good game? Yes, absolutely, I have not one bad thing to say about it. Is it a good PC port? Absolutely not, in fact I would call it number one for worst PC port of all time. Rockstar clearly spent most of their time jerking off instead of creating a perfect port of one of the best games of its time. Everything is buggy, and I am running a VERY high-end system, andIs Grand Theft Auto IV a good game? Yes, absolutely, I have not one bad thing to say about it. Is it a good PC port? Absolutely not, in fact I would call it number one for worst PC port of all time. Rockstar clearly spent most of their time jerking off instead of creating a perfect port of one of the best games of its time. Everything is buggy, and I am running a VERY high-end system, and can just barely max the game on highest resolution. There should be NO reason that a guy running a GTX 760 with 2GB of GDDR5 shouldn't be able to handle this game no sweat. I cannot believe Rockstar would screw its fans and players over like this, and the fact that the game has such high praise from critics, they should all be ashamed for letting this slip through the cracks. As a second complaint, being a guy who has Windows 8, the DRM best known as Suckurom crashes when I even attempt to start the game, a bigger kick in the head when I can completely circumvent it after pirating the game so I could actually play it (thanks a ton, you pricks.) If GTA V ever gets ported to PC I hope Rockstar at least learns from a few of their mistakes. Expand
  79. Aug 22, 2013
    This game is awesome (like almost every Grand Theft Auto title), but it has two things which can scare PC gamers away Games for Windows Live and SecuROM, not to mention the quality of porting this game can stutter on high-end PCs, but if you don't mind things I mentioned above, you will have a really good time.
  80. Aug 20, 2013
    GTA 4 is a good game, but by no means 10/10 perfect, game of all years. It is let down by it's clunky cover, shooting and driving controls, repetitive missions, unnecessary plot points and frankly, an overrated story which really only gets good half way through. normally, this game, despite all its faults would have warranted a 7.5/10, but the PC version of the game is absolutely terrible.GTA 4 is a good game, but by no means 10/10 perfect, game of all years. It is let down by it's clunky cover, shooting and driving controls, repetitive missions, unnecessary plot points and frankly, an overrated story which really only gets good half way through. normally, this game, despite all its faults would have warranted a 7.5/10, but the PC version of the game is absolutely terrible. Why? With my relatively recent and powerful GTX570 and AMD 6-core CPU, i expect a game as old as GTA IV (at this point, 5 years old), to be able to run at a decent frame rate on highest settings. Unfortunately, due to the horrible optimization, I manage a meagre 15 fps on highest settings, whilst looking much worse than newer games such as Just Cause 2 or Saints Row 3. On top of this piss poor optimization job, Both the Rockstar Social Club and Games for Windows Live layers just add another layer of annoyance to the game. Clearly, PC is not the platform for this game, and even then it is highly overrated. If you want game similar to this, invest in Saints Row 3, or play San Andreas. Expand
  81. Aug 20, 2013
    People who give this a 1-5 have not played the game on PC. The game works with Windows 7, and over and under to a certain point, there is in fact really good graphics that your computer has to handle, in which almost every persons' computer can handle. This is a wonderful game with many perks, all say there are 'bugs' these are easter eggs. Not bugs.
  82. Aug 11, 2013
    Extremely disappointed with this port. I have a computer that isn't specifically a gaming rig, but it can play Bioshock Infinite on Medium graphics flawlessly and Black Ops on maximum settings. Grand Theft Auto IV plays on my computer as if Bioshock Infinite were being played on a Windows 98 computer. I thought that the game's dated age would allow it to be more accessible and by now oughtExtremely disappointed with this port. I have a computer that isn't specifically a gaming rig, but it can play Bioshock Infinite on Medium graphics flawlessly and Black Ops on maximum settings. Grand Theft Auto IV plays on my computer as if Bioshock Infinite were being played on a Windows 98 computer. I thought that the game's dated age would allow it to be more accessible and by now ought to have been updated enough to fix issues presented in earlier reviews. Boy was I wrong. The frame rates are a nightmare! On the east island the frame rates have mood swings, ranging from unplayable to passable but not appealing. Even when I lowered all the graphical settings to low, I would still have the same frame rate issues. On other islands the frame rate was surprisingly fine, but I was expecting something more when the 360/PS3 versions excelled. The draw distances are also contemptuous. Some buildings from a distance look ok but had very muddy textures. In some circumstances textures didn't appear on walls at all from distances. Also textures would pop in at the last minute, especially when driving a vehicle. Seriously, details on the road will appear when you are 20 feet from them. And this only is from my first day playing, I have yet to find out what other bugs there are. The gameplay isn't bad, but there are so many graphical problems that its near impossible to play. I wish I had looked at reviews before buying this. I hope there's something redeeming about Episodes from Liberty City, because I had unfortunately bought the Complete Edition. Expand
  83. Aug 10, 2013
    Awesome game. Intriguing story, awesome graphics, fun to play. Well, mybe PC port could be better (back when released only ultra-hi-end PC could run it maxed), but now game runs flawlessly for most gamers. Great modding community.
  84. Aug 5, 2013
    Don't know about the whole buggy aspect, I ran this for over fifteen hours of gameplay without any trouble on a win7 32bit. It's pretty fun, but pales in comparison to GTA San andreas, or better yet, Saints Row 3.
  85. Aug 1, 2013
    Le doy 6 porque tiene buenos graficos; pero la historia es un verdadero desastre. Nada emocionante como las anteriores versiones de GTA. Para pasar el rato.
  86. Jul 29, 2013
    All round good game! Diverse and immersing storyline, interesting and varying missions and plenty to do when the main story is complete. Diverse range of vehicles, weapons, side missions, collectibles and unlocks provide a great and fun environment to play in. However constant harassment by friends to "go bowling" or "play pool" becomes extremely frustrating. Also hand to hand combat andAll round good game! Diverse and immersing storyline, interesting and varying missions and plenty to do when the main story is complete. Diverse range of vehicles, weapons, side missions, collectibles and unlocks provide a great and fun environment to play in. However constant harassment by friends to "go bowling" or "play pool" becomes extremely frustrating. Also hand to hand combat and traversing on foot fails to provide fluent and enjoyable game play at times. Not to mention common freezing and lag issues. Expand
  87. Jul 26, 2013
    Maybe the console version is a great game, but (for me at least) the PC port is borderline unplayable. The controls are horrendous and the cars drive like greased bricks with an inexplicable tendency to flip over at the tiniest bump in the road. Your character moves like he's 300 lbs and fights like his arms are 2 inches long.
    Really what kills it for me is the control of the vehicles
    Really what kills it for me is the control of the vehicles (or lack thereof). It's supposed to be a driving game, yet I'm pretty sure no one who developed (or ported) this game has ever driven a car. The cars barely turn at any speed unless you powerslide, at which point you will inevitably over-slide your turn and continue sliding until you hit something or do a complete 180. Also, all the cameras except the on-the-hood one lag behind the turns, making it impossible to see oncoming traffic or obstacles for a few seconds when you make a turn. Oh, and the cars flip over at the slightest hint of an elevation change.
    This may be unnecessarily critical, but one of the things that bothered me the most was the menus. The mouse moves abysmally slowly, even at the highest sensitivity. This is infuriating when setting the GPS: you have to painstakingly move the mouse to the region you want, but when you click, it recenters the mouse and you have to move it back to the spot again to set the GPS. I know this is nitpicking, but when your mouse moves at one pixel per hour, it worsens an already frustrating experience.
    All in all, I was extrememely disappointed with this game, and I don't see me giving it another chance, at least on PC.
  88. Jul 22, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. Now i play a lot of video games but whenever i play with friends or am just overall bored i always come back to this game! With its action packed story-line to its amazing multiplayer this game is for anyone wanting a blast and a blast to last forever!
  89. Jul 21, 2013
    The patches that were released have made this feel slightly less of a console port, which is a good thing.
    The major negative is that you really do need a good PC to run this. I do so I really love this game. Good story and great features of gameplay. The graphics are great and there is a massive modding community out there so once you completed it there is huge re-playability. I still do prefer GTA:SA though to be honest but this is an excellent GTA game.
  90. Jul 16, 2013
    This game is great. Unfortunately the combination of Games for Windows Live and Rockstar Social Club leads to a DRM f@%kfest that renders what might have been a great port into a useless pile of unplayable garbage. Glitches, fps drop, and crashing are what I come to expect from a port but when I can't even start the game due to login issues I have to say its bad
  91. Jul 13, 2013
    I got this for £5 on Steam which was brilliant but when I went to play the game it all went wrong because of the stupid Microsoft Live sign in to save game progress, I signed up for it all yet it still doesn't work so every time I log in it still tells me to create an account, F**k you Microsoft for ruining a great game. Just buy it on console.
  92. Jul 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Welcome to Liberty City, again, in High Definition this time. Right after the universally acclaimed and controversial release of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, in 2004, the guys from Rockstar North have been hard at work to bring us a new, different gaming experience. Four years later, we meet Niko Bellic in Liberty City, trying to get away from his dark past, and chase the "American Dream" along with his cousin, Roman.

I remember when it was first released for the consoles, I was so excited about it that I have watched all of the gameplay missions on YouTube long before it was released for the PC, not owning a console. It's a pity that Rockstar North keeps neglecting their PC fans like that. GTA IV was released on the PC seven full months (and a few days) after the initial console release. Having it come out so late for the PC was definitely a disappointment for me, and dozens of thousands of other fans.

Grand Theft Auto IV was a major turn in the GTA series. Two major improvements GTA IV brought to the table were new graphics and a brand-new kick-a** engine. At first glance, it seemed as if this game was complete as it was, without the need of a story or anything else at all, it seemed simply amazing, and so it was... at least for a while. Although the graphics and engine improved, the gameplay seemed a little too repetitive after a while, thus making it a little boring, at best.

The story structure took a different approach from the one in GTA San Andreas: The player was no longer demanded to do this and that and be everybody's b*tch (don't get me wrong, I love GTA San Andreas' plot!), instead he was given more control over the game, that being proved by some critical decisions the player has to make, which all lead to different results.

In GTA IV you play as Niko Bellic, a Yugoslavian man, in his mid-late 30's who came to Liberty City to chase the American Dream... and kill two guys who betrayed him while he was in the army. That's how to plot kicks off, following a series of twists and events in the search of the almighty dollar and the taste of the sweet revenge.

Even though GTA IV has a pretty solid plot and activities like bowling, going to comedy clubs, visiting strip clubs, taking helicopter rides above LC, drinking, eating at restaurants and a few others, the gameplay is becoming obsolete after a certain amount of hours into the game. After finishing the main story, I was left looking for ways to get entertained, but shooting cops is not always fun and it became boring after a while doing the same thing over and over again having the same results.

Every game in the GTA series is known for its great music catalog and GTA IV made no exception. Having a vast amount of radio stations, with hand-picked tracks, the music is great as expected. The sounds were also great. Voice acting was flawless, I was not disappointed for a second, great performance from everyone on the team.

There are many other aspects of the game that I could talk about, but I'll just stop here as this is not a paid review, it's written almost 5 years after the release of the game and I'm not sure anyone will read this much anyway.

I gave it a 7 out of 10 because of the delayed release on the PC, for the inevitable repetitive gameplay after a while, also for the lack of places to spend the big hard earned bucks.

Conclusion: GTA IV truly stands out in the GTA series but it could have been even better. It dissapoints at certain points but it makes up on others. Let's hope GTA V will be a combination of San Andreas & IV in terms of gameplay/graphics/plot.
  93. Jul 1, 2013
    i am making a new review as update for my review that i wrote in march.i said there is a problem that the game is slow,so i succeded to fix it and now i am doing a new review with an higher score.so here is the new review.
    gta iv is a masterpiece,it is one of the bests games i ever played.the cars are fast,the gameplay is great,the story is good.there is nothing to complaing
  94. Jun 29, 2013
    The game of the century, such game will be made once in a century, best game ever, the best free roaming game ever, best gameplay, best graphics, best story and best physics.
  95. Jun 15, 2013
    I love the GTA series but this was disappointing. I guess I should start playing Saint's Row if I want to have fun, and play this if I want... I don't know what it gives me.

I'm going to finish it, but over half way in it is so dull, the story doesn't have the sense of fun as the others did. I always loved GTA for being a bit ridiculous, but still kind of realistic. They're made this one too realistic.

That being said I got it for $5 on Steam so I can't complain.
  96. Jun 11, 2013
    i really think i just wasted 20 bucks. after having to sign in twice, the game wouldn't let me advance after the first autosave because it wouldn't download my account, and when i chose the option to not autosave, the game got stuck in a loop and took me back to the autosave options. ive played this game on other platforms and loved it, then i download it and noticed microsofts recenti really think i just wasted 20 bucks. after having to sign in twice, the game wouldn't let me advance after the first autosave because it wouldn't download my account, and when i chose the option to not autosave, the game got stuck in a loop and took me back to the autosave options. ive played this game on other platforms and loved it, then i download it and noticed microsofts recent tendency to kill everything it touched.

i would recommend this for any platform other than the pc. Microsoft had to go messing things up again and totally destroyed the game.
  97. May 25, 2013
    I can't believe there are people complaining about how CPU and graphic intensive this game is. It's GTA IV. There's massive amounts of things going on. How does the fact that your PC is terrible, make this a bad game?

Apart from all that, it had a very nice storyline, that usual GTA feel to it, loads of things going on, things to do etc. Lots of attention to detail. Great game. Enough said.
  98. Apr 29, 2013
    I would like to say to everybody that are reading these reviews, that this game is definitely worth your money. There is tons of content, collectibles, customization and much more in this game to keep you playing for hours. Even if the singleplayer sucked (but you know it won't, it's Grand Theft Auto!) the multiplayer is one of the best that I have ever seen, there are countlessI would like to say to everybody that are reading these reviews, that this game is definitely worth your money. There is tons of content, collectibles, customization and much more in this game to keep you playing for hours. Even if the singleplayer sucked (but you know it won't, it's Grand Theft Auto!) the multiplayer is one of the best that I have ever seen, there are countless different modes (I'm not even kidding, there is like 13 or something), each offering lots of value to play. I mean, there has to be a reason that IGN gave this game a 10/10, right? However, you might be mislead by the user score of 6.0 and the almost 500 negative reviews. There are many complains involving the issue of "the world being too small" and people going on this forum, b*tching that their computer can't handle the game and it is impossible to run. I would like to clear up the issues of both these problems. Firstly, if you find the world too small, go back to San Andreas and ride your jetpack, OK? this has to be if not the most then one of the most detailed open world cities that I have ever seen in a video game. Incredible graphics make the city feel much more realistic than any open world game before, and obviously a ton of work was spent on it. If you think you can do a better job, why don't you come down to Rockstar and try making the map yourself. This game is much more mature than any of the other ones, and adds a more realistic feel to it, and in addition, if you can't stand that there are little to no cheats, head down to GTAInside.com and get some mods, there has got to be thousands of them. Also, another complaint is that their computer can't handle it. THIS IS A LIE!!! No, they most likely can't handle max graphics, because imagine a whole city that detailed running in perfect graphics, do you really think that your computer can handle it. Even when you turn your graphics down a bit, the graphics are still awesome. If you are so concerned that your computer can't run GTA 4 on max graphics, then go buy a better computer and stop b*tching about is on these forums, I saw so many complaints on here, I almost didn't buy the game myself! Now, if you are blessed with a PC whose specs can easily handle this game on max, go check out the ICenhancer mod, it will literally blow you away. Overall, I would just like to say that this game is definitively worth checking out, it is one of the most complete games, with the best story, that I have ever played. And even almost 5 years after it's launch, it still remains to be one of my favourite games of all time. Expand
  99. Apr 27, 2013
    The worst entry in the GTA series yet. It completely drops the premise of fun in favor of "WE SERIOUS GAME ABOUT FEELINGS NOW". I'm sure it's very deep to especially dense 6th graders.
  100. Apr 27, 2013
    It's GTA. Nothing terribly new, nothing terribly revolutionary. Not a bad sandbox setup but I expect more from a sequel and not just more of the same old, same old. Missions get pretty boring and repetitive. Gun play is so-so. Sadly this game is marred by not breaking from the herd enough and re-invigorating the series in light of Saints Row and Just Cause coming out and putting togetherIt's GTA. Nothing terribly new, nothing terribly revolutionary. Not a bad sandbox setup but I expect more from a sequel and not just more of the same old, same old. Missions get pretty boring and repetitive. Gun play is so-so. Sadly this game is marred by not breaking from the herd enough and re-invigorating the series in light of Saints Row and Just Cause coming out and putting together similar concepts. Oh, and yes, playing it on PC can be a mess depending on your hardware specs and that it is a half-cooked port. Expand

1. It's the peripheral distractions of both going out with Roman, and meeting your girlfriends, that really make your virtual life so worth living. Although incredibly simplistic, they're oddly touching...One of the finest videogames ever. [Christmas 2008, p.87]
  2. The most grown-up GTA and the best realised, but it doesn't respect the PC much. Enjoy the multiplayer madness if you can. [Christmas 2008, p.96]
  3. A genuinely ground-breaking blockbuster in videogame history. There were moments playing GTA IV that I thought back to my initial experiences with games, and realised exactly how far we've come. There's never been anything quite like GTA IV in the world. That there makes me genuinely happy to be a gamer.