6.3

1. Aug 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'ts one of greatest action game i been ever played. Graphics is very realistic, story is intresting.... But game have many bugs. This is biggest negative of the game. Expand
  2. Oct 14, 2011
    This game would have been the best PC game of all time if the scores are to par with the Xbox360 and PS3 versions if it weren't for the following: high system requirements, lag issues, graphics would have been sharper on some areas and too much odd content. As of version 1.06 of this game, most of the issues have been fixed and this gets my vote. If you don't have a 1.5+ GB high-end video card, you cannot max out all the graphical settings for this PC game. Expand
  3. Nov 13, 2011
    Gameplay, storyline, and multiplay is incredible. Graphics...well I suppose they COULD be good, but this game was coded SO poorly, it's impossible to tell. With a computer that surpasses the minimum requirements 10-fold, I was still forced to put all of the graphics settings on LOW in order to play with minimal lag. Keep in mind, there was STILL lag, and the low settings made graphics look like utter sh*t. Had Rockstar put more effort in perfecting the coding, this game would have been amazing. Looks to me like another rushed out pile of ... Expand
  4. Dec 29, 2012
    Don't get the hype, there is nothing "revolutionary" about this game. All I experienced was an extremely dull game with often repetitive missions and monotonous combat.
  5. Aug 16, 2010
    So many people give this game a 0/10, and why? I'll analyze the various reasons people are rating it down. SecuROM: This is probably the only one I really agree with since I had problems with it too, but the game doesn't deserve a 0 because of it. As long as you know what you're doing you can use it without the SecuROM giving you any problems.
    Games for Windows LIVE and Rockstar Social
    Club: I really don't see where people are having problems with these. They're usually logged in before my game gets to the menu and that doesn't take too long. They don't really take any performance away and with Games for Windows LIVE you get some achievements to get too.
    Performance: I understand this, but take a look at the requirements before you buy the game. If your PC doesn't meet them, don't get it for PC. I know it's kind of tough on PCs, but it runs pretty smoothly for me on a Sapphire ATI HD 4850, AMD Athlon X2, and 2GB of RAM.
    Gameplay: I guess some people find it boring compared to other Grand Theft Auto games (or just find it boring in general), but if you don't like the game then I guess you'll be more careful before you buy another game in the series then.

Really though Grand Theft Auto IV is a good game. It has the best graphics for a Grand Theft Auto game so far in the series and if your PC can run it, get it. As usual you can expect to find mods and a custom radio station, but you also get a video editor which is interesting if you want to make your own Grand Theft Auto movies.
  6. Aug 23, 2010
    Horribly ported to pc. Good luck getting it to work. I finally got mine to run fine but the thing continuously kicks me because "Your computer is running too slow". Rockstar is obviously trolling the pc community with this mess.
  7. Aug 20, 2010
    this game is simply a piece of **** but it's not just regular **** it's that kind of **** that sticks in your toilet and remains there after flushing it 2000 times! it's by far the worst PC port of a console game i've ever seen.
    after trying the game on 4 different high-end computer, i still haven't been able to finish the first mission, because rockstar's "advanced" (i've put those
    quotation marks on purpuse) game engine is simply the worst looking, most buggy next-gen game engine. horrible textures, missing 3d models, object that pop out when you crash on them with your car, massive memory leaks, and so on. after playing it on my friend's xbox 360 i have to say that the story is the only thing that saves this game from being one of the worst games ever. it's actually a good game from that point of view. but please god tell me, why can i run 4 instances of unreal tournament 3 or crysis on ultra-high specs getting really good performance, but when i run gta4, i NEVER get more than 35 fps, with an averege of **** 20! that's UNPLAYABLE! and what i just don't understand, is why the **** do buildings, trees, and even STREETS pop out of nowhere when i move the camera? WHY??? THE GRAPHICS ARE SO ****TY IT SHULD RUN AT 200 FPS!!!
    and what can i say about the sound effects? try shooting a gun in real life, and tell me if the sound it makes is the same as the one you hear in this crap of a game? i doubt. and what about radio stations? these radios take gigabytes of space on my **** hard drive, and most of the songs suck ass! HOLY **** where the **** was the quality control team when they tried the PC version of gta4? where they takin a **** or did the programmers put some drugs in their coffee, so they couldn't see all the **** on the screen?
    what pisses me off even more is that some IDIOTS who reviewed this game gave it a 10/10! DID ROCKSTAR PAY YOU FOR NOT TRYING THE GAME??? OR WERE YOU JUST DRUNK AS **** WHILE REVIEWING IT?
    in conclusion, after wasting 70 euros (that's like 90 mother**** dollars!) for this miserable piece of **** after downloading and installing almost 1 gb of crap that did nothing but slow down my computer, all i have to say is **** YOU ROCKSTAR for wasting my **** money! die!

In conclusion, ratings:
    -graphics: 4.5 (could've been 6.0 if the game ran at 60 fps minimum)
    -sfx: 4.0
    -ost: 6.0
    -gameplay: n/a
    -story: 8.0

final score: 3/10 (not a **** average!)
  8. Aug 24, 2010
    DO NOT BUY IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF $20 THERE ARE LESS PAINFUL WAYS TO DO IT. I got it off steam installed it and immediately crashed black screen fatal error. Well I wasted some more time I wont get back doing about 20-25 steps off the steam forum(R* doesn't even have their own forum) trying to get it to work. This is completely unacceptable and I wont be buying rockstar games in the future.
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    First, I'd like to point out you need a good PC to run this game well. Please, do not attempt to run this on your GeForce 5200FX and then complain about how the game crashes. Most minor issues with this PC game can be easily fixed; just search on Google and I assure you 95% of the time you'll find a fix. Also, make sure you have the most up-to-date version of the game, as Rockstar has fixed plenty of bugs and glitches with their latest 1.0.7.0 patch. It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

As for the game itself, it's incredible. Best storyline in the GTA series, gorgeous graphics, very likeable and memorable characters, great gameplay, fun multiplayer modes, and an incredibly well-desinged city. Not to mention, the PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV has some exclusive features which the consoles do not have. Such as the in-game video editor, which is amazing. It allows to take clips you've captured during gameplay and edit them. You can create a simple stunt video or an incredible machinima with it. It's a wonderful tool. Overall, I think quite a few people fail to realize just how 'big' Grand Theft Auto IV really is. I mean, there's literally thousands of recorded dialogue clips in this game just for the pedestrians. There's a ton of hilarious and well written radio station, TV, and in-game internet content. Hundreds of unique character models, props, animations, and vehicles. So, if you do have a good PC I think you should definitely give this game a try.
  10. Feb 21, 2012
    Rockstar should hang their heads in shame: they've released some weak PC ports in the past (all of the GTA games, really), but this one takes the cake for total failure. Only this year have I finally (3+ years after release) been able to get the game to run solidly. When it runs properly, it's a fantastic game, probably my favorite of the series (although San Andreas is close). That has been a HUGE if, though, with 20-30 minute crashes being the norm, and one fix only leading to other, more difficult problems. Finally I figured out that the game was doing something no other "next-gen" game could pull off: it was taxing my graphics card so much that it was overheating and shutting down. No other game has been able to pull that off (including far more recent titles), and that's a testament to how poorly-coded the game was for the PC: my specs beat the **** out of the PS3 and yet I've had to struggle with an assortment of frame rate issues and texture glitches (the later of which I still haven't been able to solve to this day). It's about time that PC gamers stop taking this nonsense: build the game for the PC FIRST, then you can port it to the lesser systems, not the other way around. Expand
  11. Jan 3, 2011
    This game is so bad... Its just a port from Xbox to PC thats why it ran so badly, my PC was way above the requirements and the worst part is, I completed the game with insanely bad framerate. The missions are repetative, your meant to do this or kill someone but its an ambush. Just a flatout horrible game.
  12. Sep 1, 2010
    it runs fine on my computer so thats not the real issue, although i did lose my save file after an hour or 2 of play. My real issue with this game is that its boring. GTA vice city and San Andreas are far far better. GTA IVs claim to fame is its graphics and they are quite good. Going on dates. fiddling with the awkward cell phone is just lame. The cars handle like drunken cows. the game tries to have realism but i think that takes away from the grand theft auto aspect of it. It definitely doesn't deserve a 5/10 though, but it also doesn't deserve a 9/10 like Metacritic calculates. all the critics must have been paid off or afraid to take down the giant when it obviously has many bad game-play elements and is very disappointing of a game Expand
  13. Sep 25, 2010
    Absolutely not worth it. The download took a very long time, and unless your PC is running well above the minimum specs (which are already pretty high, and easily knocks out any non-gaming built PCs), then this game will lag terribly with severe glitching and control issues (and yes, I am talking about rock-bottom bare-minimum visual and audio effects). Sadly, I was unable to get past the 4th cutscene before my computer gave in on me. Expand
  14. Nov 8, 2011
    I don't undestand the negative opinions. Ok, when this game was released has a lot of serious bugs. But now, 3 years before, Rockstar has released more of 7 patches... I played this game last 6 months, and i really don't found any serious bug. I think the really bad and serious problems was resolved. The people that vote negative this game, please change your opinion, is possible now on Metacritic. This game is one of the best !!! [9/10] Expand
  15. Sep 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very poor example of a game coming onto the PC port instead of trying to stabilize the games the game company tries to improve the graphics only to make much worse for people with low-end gaming rig, see I'm a person who owns a high-end rig but it still lags to about 15-20 fps I had to turn off all the textures setting only to find out that the game gets about 23-25 fps

Even then analyzing the story and the gameplay itself is nothing special and that 95% of the mission have nothing to do with the story which is about Niko Bellic trying grab the man who's betrayed his squad in the previous war, the mission feel like a set chores unlike in GTA San Andreas which most of the mission relating to story and trying to get back to the CJ once had in the hood.
    The only other thing about this game that seems like something to praise is the cover-based system and that the only fun thing to do most of the time is to camp at the Bohan safehouse and kill some police officers having six stars but even then you can't do that because this game LAGS to much.
    Lack of variety I see too can't get stronger, ridiculous clothing or getting fat which was the fun part about GTA SA.
    Overall if you have the most powerful gaming rig in the world that us poor can't buy than GTA IV is up your alley but even then so is Crysis.
  16. Mar 10, 2011
    Great game but lot of bugs. This game often crashes my PC. The background story is highly addictive and the city is good modeled. My pc is not so powerful, i've got Windows 7x64, 4 GB RAM DDR2, Dual Core Processor E6750, and a first generation Geforce GTS 8800 with 640mb of memory.
  17. May 13, 2011
    Grand Theft Auto IV is a game I can respect but not appreciate. The enormous sandbox city and lifelike interaction are definitely impressive, but much of what I loved about GTA San Andreas was lost to me here. The game shifts very far from cars now as you no longer have a garage and customization is limited if not completely removed. Fortunately the graphics are fantastic, especially with a good PC, and the story is pretty good. I hope to see more of an automobile focus in GTA V, because c'mon, the game is named Grand Theft Auto! Expand
  18. Aug 10, 2012
    The best AAA game ever. Rockstar North had amazingly high hopes for this game and pulled it off. Is the story worthy of literary awards? No, but as far as videogame stories go, it is friggin Shakespeare. They actually get you care about the characters, and you really want to know how things turn out. The driving is first rate, smooth and fun, but still requiring skill. It's great fun to master the mechanics, and then proceed to drive fast and furious. The combat, a little clunky, but it is a minor flaw in what otherwise is the best game of this generation. Expand
  19. Mar 26, 2012
    The graphics are amazing. The music is amazing. The game itself? It's awful. Terrible. Horrible. Here's a summary of the missions. Spoilers ahead: Mission 1: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill some people. Mission 2: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill a person Mission 7: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill some people Mission 29: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill some people
    Mission 72: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill person

That is the entire game. I am trying to play through it for the second time, and I just can not make myself finish. I'm at the last sequence of missions, and it's miserably boring due to the repetition. They made a beautiful game. A masterpiece of videogame art. But they forgot to make it fun.
  20. Oct 28, 2010
    When I first bought the game, it ran like a dog on lowest setting using a fairly high-end pc set up. If you're not buying the latest gear, don't even bother.
    A new graphics card later it ran, but the terrible, console style controls force you to use a game controller. Don't have an x-box game controller? Don't bother trying to drive anywhere. Or turn corners while walking.
    Since I always
    like their stories, I tried coming back to it after months (and probably win7 service pack 3) to find it won't load past the logo screens. I've tried everything I've found online to try to solve the issue with no success.
    R* can jump off a cliff. I am done with their bs, and despite owning pretty much everything they've made to date (bugs and all), I will never buy from them again. I feel like the entire package was a bait and switch for pc owners - Thanks for your $50, did you actually want to play that? Oh sorry, we haven't implemented that feature yet.
    Don't even bother buying it on special. Chances are it won't load at all. Go to a movie instead and save yourself days of screwing around.
  21. Nov 6, 2010
    I don't see what the problem is. My computer was a relatively cheap one (purchased over 2 years ago for $1400 and the game ran perfectly. It had an amazing plot and cover based third person gameplay. The best GTA game to date.
  22. Nov 17, 2011
    Terrific game. GTAIV offers vast improvements in the graphics department over its predecessors. The game's controls were sometimes annoying - like when it demanded you tap "A" repeatedly in order to sprint, rather than just holding down a certain button to keep sprinting as long as you hold it down. It was also annoying to have to log into the social club and GFWL every time you boot up the game. That being said, this is still GTA, it's still every bit as fun (if not moreso) than its predecessors. The graphics are superb - a vast improvement over the last generation of GTA titles. The story is also better, and the world is generally more believable and realistic. Whats more, the control system for aircraft in this game makes them much easier to control than the PC editions of Vice City or San Andreas. There are more strip clubs, and the strippers and prostitutes are now rendered in high definition glory, LOL! Ah, the joys of GTA. That stuff aside, there is realy a terrific game here that should not be overlooked. You'll get the familiar GTA-style storyline, with a more serious flavor to it. It has nearly all of the elements that made older GTA games fun, except perhaps airplanes, airports, and businesses you can buy like in Vice City. As for the negative reviews... we all know it's just people whining about the DRM... whether it's GFWL or the social club. Yes, the game requires a modern computer to run nicely. What do you expect? The game came out in like 2008 or 2009. I always laugh at these people who are surprised their 5-year-old "gaming-laptop" can't run it nicely, so then they go to complain about the game and whine. The bottom line: make sure you have a quad-core processor, a reasonably-new video card with at least 1gb memory, and 4gb of RAM. Then get ready for a terrific new installment to the GTA series =). Expand
  23. Apr 12, 2014
    This is still an outstanding game. I'm waiting for GTA V for PC (or PS4) but the graphics, music, missions, shooting mechanics (even with controller), are just great. This is much fun to play. And the best of this game is the humor. I almost can't believe this game is already 6 years old. The satiric humor on the radio stations is still spot-on, aiming at the current western society.
  24. Nov 26, 2010
    I am being honest here. GTA 4 for (random four) the PC is neither a bad nor good game. I cant blame the people that say it is not good. It's requirements are pretty high advanced to play this game with well graphics. The visuals are nice but it doesn't mean its good. The game play isn't well done but at least it has a well thought out plan to TRY and give it a nice port. I don't neither an XBOX 360 or a PS3 (yes i suck), so i have to play the game on my computer, for i am a pro at typing and playing FPS games that way. Grand Theft Auto deserves itself a 6. Rockstar games were trying. Expand
  25. Dec 19, 2010
    Great game but my computer is pretty close to top of the line and has problems with this. I know how to configure it to work optimally but really this game must have some poor programming. Kind of sad as it could have been much better.
  26. Apr 23, 2011
    epic game, almost perfect virtual world, very fun gameplay and pretty good multiplayer but unfortunate not enough players.
    definitely worth the money!
  27. Nov 23, 2013
    Metacritic doesn't let you delete reviews so I'm writing a load of useless, pointless garbage to fill up the minimum of one hundred and fifty characters.
  28. Jan 7, 2011
    GTA IV is redone... for the worse or the better is up to you.

Obviously, the engine is new and it gives a more realistic game - before you could crash into AI cars and they would "fly away" now you both get stuck in a crash.

I give credit that you can hire a Taxi to get you to a certain destination - and the "retry" option (on your phone) should you fail a mission. All of this to get you
    through the hustle in the enormous city.

Also, to my disappointment there are no tanks or military equipment in this game, you can't enter police stations either and such...
  29. Jan 10, 2011
    C'est un bon jeu, excepté la perte de possibilité comparé aux anciens GTA, il est graphiquement bien réalisé. Malgré différents bugs et la configuration minimale assez élevée, il mérite selon moi huit sur dix.
  30. Jun 23, 2011
    It beats me how this game received a metascore of 90. It seems to have potential, I'll give it that, but the abysmal controls, bad dialog, and boring starter missions made me drop it after 2 hours. I might have been a bit annoyed with it to start with, because their lame attempt to market that windows gaming platform with the saving mechanism and random crashes.
    Sad thing is, they emulate
    the cars physics pretty well, which unfortunately is completely pointless with digital 0/1 controls. Again, there seems to be potential, but for me it had way too many flaws to get that far.
    P.S.: Hardware requirements are a bit ridiculous considering the release date and the eye candy you get for it, but for a modern (2011) gaming rig it's very playable.
  31. Jan 23, 2011
    WARNING: REQUIRES A LIGHTNING-SPEED COMPUTER. I have a Windows 7 from a few months ago. It came with a great video card, which could run almost every game I put on it, like Bad Company 2, COD, and Mafia 2. Every game, except, GTA IV. The file size is like 14GB, and it runs slow as a bad server on COD Black Ops, even on the lowest settings. What's even worse is that you need to get a Windows Live account in order to SAVE. The Windows Live thing hasn't been fixed in over 4 years, and Microsoft doesn't even care about it anymore. DON'T GET THIS ON PC. GET IT ON PS3 OR XBOX 360 Expand
  32. Jul 12, 2011
    (Sorry, didn't know metacritic doesn't recognize paragraphs)
    I just purchased this game for dirt cheap and I had absolutely no problems running the game in high detail on my newish PC - 3 years after release. It still feels like a waste of money. I heard many good things about this game from everyone and really seemed up my alley. I also own an Xbox controller for the PC so I was able to
    enjoy the same controls 360 users have. All in all, I am playing a just plain better version of GTAIV. All that said, after a good 20 hours, I have to say this is the most overrated piece of twaddle in gaming history. I am astounded at how many perfect 10s this game received despite a laundry list of glaring problems, affirming my suspicion that games are rated on graphics and presentation alone, with 0% of fun factor being considered.

This game has some awesome moments. The realistic graphics really make for some cinematic scenes. Gun fights can be amazing in destructible environments, with pillars being shredded by gunfire. The realistic graphics and physics give the automobile-related incidents a new "oh snap" factor. I really enjoyed how the new realistic and serious twist put more gravity into your violent actions. It's just too bad the game does almost nothing to nurture these elements. First of all, the controls are godawful. Niko moves like he's wearing a 60-lb backpack and the cover button is just plain clunky. The snap-to-target system rarely chooses an enemy close to your reticule. Instead it just seems to choose a random yokel fully behind cover while someone that was in your reticule before you hit the aim button fills you up with machine gun fire. This is great considering that missions have no checkpoints, so there is no feeling of frustration like driving halfway across town to pick up a car again because Niko was too stupid to target the guy 5 feet in front of him or you didn't know you were going to need a really fast car to chase a helicopter. It becomes a bit easier, later, when you realize all of the missions are a exactly the same. Drive to point A (maybe on a timer), kill guy ( maybe chase him in car), maybe lose the police. This gets real old in a game with so much potential for mayhem.

In fact, that leads into the main problem of the game: it just seems to want to waste your time instead of provide fun things to do. Your friends call constantly to do inane, unwelcome minigames, others constantly call your phone to make you sit through a five minute cut scene before doing the same mission again. You are constantly being nagged to do anything but free roam, which is OK I guess because the game provides absolutely no incentive to free roam. You can go on a rampage, of course, but make sure to save first because the game does nothing but you put in the hospital or take away all your weapons for causing a ruckus, nor does it provide you with anything resembling fun targets (not unarmed civilians) for some good ol' action while free roaming. Instead, why not just follow the storyline? It has its moments, but its altogether too long, thanks to driving around, again with no incentive to go really fast except to have to restart the mission because your passenger flew out the window. I won't get started on the phone as well. I can't believe you have to manually dial any number in something that is supposed to be fun. It's also great that Niko can't carjack while someone flaps his gums on phone with him for 5 minutes. Of course, if you are really bored, you could watch TV in game instead of turning off the game and watching actual good TV (What?), go to a cabaret or comedy club instead of visiting Youtube, or any other diversion that has nothing to do with playing a game. You could also slow down and listen to the radio. There is a huge list of licensed music which I was looking forward too, but have heard maybe 5 songs so far in between the 20 minutes straight of cringe-inducing unfunny radio ads, DJ comments, and news breaks, not to mention the humor of the radio/TV doesn't mix at all with the semi-serious tone of the story. I ended up turning off the music altogether and using Windows Media Player in the background.

All in all, 99% of what this game has to offer is entirely unwelcome. It's really too bad, because it presented a sweet physics system and infinite potential to turn a modern city upside-down. Instead, it envelops itself in self-important drama, asinine courier tasks, and inconvenience in the sake of immersion.

Maybe GTA4 was a sign of the times. Maybe it was the draught of games we had in 2008, maybe the economic scare was so serious that we all just wanted to escape into a virtual world, even if it wasn't very fun. Maybe it's just the forerunner in a trend of games for people who hate games but just want to escape.
  33. Jun 11, 2011
    I first played this game on a crappy 2.4 single core AMD computer with 2.5 gb of DDR 1 RAM and a NVIDIA gt 220. It ran like crap, and I had to restart my computer to close it, because my computer couldn't spare the processing power. I love this game. I sunk 24 hours into it even with a terrible system. I now own a computer that runs it like a **** Specs: AMD Phenom 3.4 GHz, NVIDIA GTX 460, 8gb DDR3. This game is still amazing. The sheer volume of stuff to do is astounding, and the game reacts realistically to almost every situation. The radio stations are hilarious as all get out, and there's even cameos from famous comedians (Ricky Gervais). I don't touch the gay stuff so much, like dates, but the gunplay is well done too. The cover system is a little buggy sometimes, but it's much better on the PC than on the consoles. My only complaint was that the music on the radio sucks, but you can make your own radio station (Death and Sacred Oath rock). As for the rest of you giving it bad scores cause of your system, don't review a game if you can't run it right. It just makes the game look bad unfairly. Your system sucks, this game owns. Expand
  34. Feb 8, 2011
    In my opinion it is sad that the game is rated so badly by the reviewers. In my opinion for the PC this game is a masterpiece of programming. I love the graphics, I love the engine, I just love everything of this game. In the beginning I had a huge problem running this game but when I updated it everything was fine, even running it better than Episodes from Liberty City at the same graphics. The controls are good, the graphics are awesome, the gameplay is awesome... What else? Expand
  35. Feb 13, 2011
    love this game, it's a huge favorite. Runs clean on my pc. Love it on xbox 360 as well. Multiplayer greatness as well. I love the fact that there is a free roam mode for multi player. I play it via Steam with my usb xbox controller and its mapped out very well. Running it on a Geforce GTX 460
    AMD Phenom2 Quad core
    8GB Ram 64bit Win 7
  36. Feb 15, 2011
    I held off for a long time before buying this game. I must say that after 2 years of waiting. I wish I would not have bothered buying GTA 4. First off It took 2 days just to get Microshaft live to work properly just so I could save. I cant even use my Philips gamepad, because MS basically paid R* to monopolize on full support for xbox controller for pc ONLY. I am almost done with the game (mission 85), and I am flat out bored of the same thing over and over again. All missions are the same. If this is the direction R* is taking GTA then count me out for future releases. On a score of 1 - 10 I give it a 1.5, and that is being fair. It seems R* now has a trademark. Every GTA game I have played I would find this http://www.drxdesigns.com/screenshots/rstrademark.jpg I am a freelance 3d graphic artist, so it is easy for me to find these faults. VC, SA both had texture stretching. Of course all this is just my opinion, just the same as everyone else, and I am entitled to that! R* use to be my favorite game company, now very bottom of the list. 2 Thumbs down to GTA 4, and Rockstar. Expand
  37. Oct 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GTA IV was a big step back to me. Look at the massive array of vehicles in San Andreas. Bicycles, dirt bikes, quads, tractors, different types of helicopters and airplanes, the jetpack, etc. Why take all that stuff out?

GTA IV also completely **** up the physics of the game. Driving is half as fun as it was in the previous games. And people generally respond to this by saying that it's "realistic", but no. It's not realistic in any way. Making it slow paced and boring doesn't make it realistic. It just makes it slow paced and boring.

The shooting was improved a bit, but still needed a lot of work. The people who defend this game will claim that sticking your arm up while behind cover will cause Niko to shoot inaccurately, but it certainly hasn't worked that way for me. It seems to shoot wherever I point, regardless of the fact that Niko isn't even looking or aiming. Also, when you do choose to aim from behind cover (for whatever reason), it will cause your cross-hairs to move up a bit. Not a serious issue, but it's stupid that you have to keep in mind to aim a little bit below their head.

The weapon variety was also significantly reduced and simplified compared to San Andreas. Of course San Andreas also had weapons that were just flat out better than others, but GTA IV's weapon system operates by "tiers", where you have tier 1 weapons, tier 2 weapons, etc. One tier being completely better in every way than the other. It leaves no room for options and determining which weapons are best for you personally. Of course, SA had SOME weapons which were flat out better than others, but to a much smaller degree than GTA IV.

Niko is a walking contradiction, he speaks out against violence, but he's perfectly willing to kill if he gets money for it. Meanwhile, the guy he's trying to track down ends up telling him that he sold him out for $1,000. Niko acts all surprised and offended by this - but he does things like that all the time. The cheesy attempt to include a "2deep4u" story winded up backfiring. Rockstar should have stuck with the classic humor based, light hearted style story, rather than what was the equivalent of a B movie written by some emo kid.

Ultimately, my dislike for GTA IV can be traced back to one thing - Lack of variety. Look at all of the content from SA that they just flat out REMOVED. Just look at the build up of content and gradual perfection of concepts from GTA 3, to Vice City, to San Andreas. I thought Rockstar would continue that system. I was under the impression that what we saw in SA would be perfected and build upon, just as they had done in the past - Not just completely thrown away. I really thought Rockstar was on to something. I thought they had it figured out. I guess not.
  38. Mar 12, 2011
    After buying this game on Steam, i was really looking forward to playing it.. .. only.. no matter how many times i tried, it just wouldnt login so i could play it.. after trawling the forums, i eventually found out why, it needs an xbox live account to play it, and a games for windows live account, getting these setup took a considerable amount of time, and more than a few hours later, the game finally finished patching.. and i tried to login.. only. it wouldnt.. some kind of problem with the xbox live servers perhaps, but when it eventually did manage to login.. it played fine.. until i wanted to save the game, because of some kind of server problem at xbox live.. again.. i couldnt save the game. fortunately i had managed to save the game earlier.. but it meant a whole hour or so of progress.. had been lost. in the end, i uninstalled the game.. i just wish i hadnt bought the tales from liberty city module too.. i doubt i've ever regretted buying a game so much before.. when it worked it was fine.. but the xbox live thing just totally spoiled the game, all i can say is im not going to make that mistake ever again, i don't care how good the game is.. if it has xbox live as a requirement.. then i am definitely not buying it. Expand
  39. Apr 20, 2011
    Caved and downloaded it from Steam over the weekend given they were giving it away for just $5. Now that I have the game up and running it seems like fun but yes it was a PITA to get working. Windows Live took several installs and reboots to get running. I've skipped the "Social Club" entirely. I have a dual core OC'd to 3.6Ghz, 4 meg of ram and a GTX460 1Mb video card and I can just about get a steady 40fps at 720p. This is following the presumably several patches it has undergone previously. Like Crysis this is a system taxer to the point of ridiculousness. Unlike Crysis, even with everything cranked up it still doesn't look good. In the end I added the ENB mod which adds anti-aliasing and now it finally looks like a semi-decent game. GTA games were never known for their steady frame-rates or stellar graphics but at least you could jump in and enjoy the great gameplay on consoles. I'm happy with the install now but man it took some tweaking to get it to a point where now I can "just jump in." Expand
  40. Feb 27, 2012
    Terribly optimized for a pc to the point of being broken. Even to this day it fails to run on many hardware config's at a playable framerate. If you want to play this game, make sure you are running a quad core cpu with a high clock rate and a single - powerful gpu. Crossfire produces negative scaling, Sli is buggy, and a duel core cpu will produce a scattershot fps. The plus side to all of this mess is that it's far better looking on the stray computer than does meet all these requirements. The game itself fantastic, with an involving (albeit well tread) story, with great action, and a weighty physics system. If this game runs well on your system - 10/10. If it runs poorly. 0/10. Expand
  41. Mar 27, 2011
    This game is completely awesome. In my honest opinion it easily blows the other titles out the water. Its sad to see that a bunch of people who must be using Atari Mainboards marked this game down to a measly 4.9. I run this game with FULL settings and have no "Herky Jerk" problems, as some have put it. This include ASx16 Full Shadows, Textures, View Distance. 1055t X6 @ 3.5, HD6850, 8gb 1600mhz ram Expand
  42. Mar 16, 2013
    worst pc port game I have ever played in my life. I have duel GTX 680s and the game wont even let me play with hiccups every 2 seconds. lame. companies sacrificing quality for profit as usual./
  43. Mar 30, 2011
    A game that you can't play, is worth nothing. And GTAIV PC is a game that you can't play. It requires a credit card to register GFWL, requires registering Social Club & has other annoyances like Securom, and yes that's when you got it from Steam - buying a game on Steam and having to register GFWL, find the error. I'm glad I didn't pay too much for it. It's possibly a good game, on consoles that is. From what I read it's also full of bugs, that I will never know. GTA3 was already a very bad PC port so I wouldn't be surprised. Another game that looks like a huge amount of work, ruined by abuse of marketing. Expand
  44. Apr 16, 2011
    GTA has come of age- great graphics, fun story and missions (as usual!). Bugs? I've had zero issues with my Steam copy- not sure what everyone is banging on about....
  45. Nov 25, 2011
    I would say that this game is much better on a 360 or PS3 than it is on PC. The reason for this is short and simple: Games for Windows. I respect Windows, and I'm running it on my computer as I type this, but one thing is clear: they need to back the hell off of the gaming market, because they're ruining a lot of nice games. Some good examples: Bioshock 2, GTA IV, The Witcher, Alone in the Dark, and many more. The Games for Windows seal is more of a curse than anything else. Luckily, I bought this on Steam for $4.99, so I didn't waste too much. The game itself is great, so I've given it a 9/10, but Games for Windows has nearly rendered it unplayable. God dammit, Windows. Expand
  46. Apr 24, 2011
    Really excellent addition to the GTA franchise. Played the game on console (PS3) and now the PC version and the be honest i have not really noticed much difference. A nice constant 60fps (with vsync on) with no slowdown even when it gets busy. Ok so maybe there are a few graphical errors here and there, the game isnt 100% perfect, the gameplay does not suffer however.

The only other
    small annoyance is that it does not seem to be compatible with IE9, had to remove that and revert back to IE8 (and firefox) in order for it to work, otherwise the game would just not launch.

Gameplay - excellent
    Storyline - a little rough in places but on the whole really good, cut scenes could have done with being shortened though.
    Graphics - A little 'sketchy' in places but overall good.

Overall - A solid 8/10 from me, without its little flaws game alone would have easily been 9/10.
  47. May 17, 2011
    I don't get it why there's so many negative opinions about this game. I finished it twice and had a lot of fun doing it. Never had any problems with game stability or low fps. Sure there were few small bugs but in game such complex its nothing exceptional. Just because your pc is outdated doesn't mean game is bad.
  48. Jun 14, 2011
    Dear Grand Taxicab Auto, please, please, stop with the cut-scenes already! Give your script editor a red pen and ask him/her to "X" out big chunks of dialog next time, won't you? And won't my darn phone ever stop ringing? Especially when I answer it and then I can't run but instead have to walk... slowly... oh so very slowly....? I play games to escape from everyday chores such as deleting texts, ignoring emails and pointlessly driving across town during rush hour with a car load of social lowlifes. Only to arrive at my destination and be served a mediocre third person shooter. I never finished GTA San Treadmill for much the same reasons, and I was hoping your older siblings would've taught you a few lessons, but alas, I guess not. At least you let me hail taxis to skip the Auto part and get right to the Theft bits, but why oh why isn't there a cab around when you really, really need one? All said, you're a pretty game to look at and even to play sometimes, but only when you'll stop boring me with mundane tasks and actually let me escape with you, that is. Expand
  49. Mar 23, 2014
    Very Disappointed

They've messed up real life simulation and fun game play. The whole game feels like a drag. Emotionally unstable protagonist which most of the times does not represent what the player wants/feels. Story-wise everything feels schemed. Majority of the characters are being killed/disposed off before you even know them. You play for around 20hours into the story to find
    out the real story behind it all, which in fact, is very poor. Thinking about spending time and building relationships/friendships? Absolute waste of time. Girlfriends are getting discarded like flies through "Storytelling". Constant drama and personal-family affairs are just horrible representation.

Game-wise. Graphics are mediocre at best. They've pulled this strange, and rather unwanted, dirt-brown filter onto everything, to simulate a dirty (real life?) city. To say the least it all fails. The game was designed for a console. With limited resources and computational power in mind. And this version of the game in just a port, and a cheap one, they didn't even bother implementing anti-aliasing into the game. No matter that, knowing it's 5years old game, and the availability of graphical enhancers around this is all semi-fixable, and can be disregarded by majority.

Mechanics. The physics, AI, and other inner mechanics are very poor designed, if they were designed at all. Vehicle controls are as crappy as ever. Especially every other car that you aren't driving. Motorcycles flying into the air like balloons on every impact. Inflammable cars with a touch of a finger. Cars no longer have fuel tanks apparently. You have to shoot the rims of the car for it to get a blazed and explode. Forget about flat tires. Firing at tires does nothing. Shoot the rims for effect. which goes in three stages apparently. Flat tire -> broken rim -> car in flames. No purchasable safe-houses. No property ownership with benefits. Just story set crappy apartments forces upon you. I recall parachutes and jet packs in previous game installments, non of that here. No "gang members" recruitment. You can't call out for someone to help. Missions scripts are more broken than ever. Sometimes it feels like you have to perform brain-surgery operation to get in place for mission to progress.

Overally. Having played Vice City, and getting very amazed back in the day, it was improved and topped up with creativity with San Andreas. But, as it seems, they decided to literally downgrade the game for "reality feel". They've removed so much it is unbelievable this game was in production so long. No car customization, no garage, you can't call a ballet to bring you your car. They've spent so much time and effort into rag-doll simulation and animations things just fly by while you are trying to enter a vehicle. Muscle, stamina have been removed. Character customization is just non-existing. You have Niko Bellic as he is. You can buy him a nice suit. That's about it. The whole experience feels like stripped down game. It is rather ironic that throughout the game there are multiple references and mentioning of Vice City, and how much better things are there.

Conclusion. This review is based on completing the game. I am not one of those who played couple of hours and made their conclusions. Being GTA fan for a decade it is really a shame that such a franchise ended up in such state. It is all down the hill from now on. I am really afraid even taking GTA5 in my hands. Thinking that it will be just like GTA4 with three Niko Bellics running around. Not recommended.
  50. Aug 30, 2011
    The GTA 4 is a worthy part of the Grand Theft Auto franchise. It's rather similar to Vice City than San Andreas which can make people disappointed but in my opinion it's a perfect game. Great graphics, enjoyable gameplay and a good multiplayer are contained. The system requirements are not as high as they say, they are acceptable.
  51. Aug 1, 2011
    The game had a lot of issues about the performance, but, the engine of physics and graphics are amazing, even we are at 2011, the game still up to date, so, worth having this game and upgrade your computer!
  52. Sep 26, 2013
    I tried valiantly to get into this, since I have been a devote fan of the GTA franchise since I first fired up top-down GTA ever so many years ago. However, I have some fairly sizable complaints. And I feel they're likely shared by others...

While the in-game graphics are lovely, and my rig handles in-game play with ease even at higher detail I noticed immediately that the cut-scenes
    are the herky-jerkiest mess of nausea-inducing graphical horror imaginable. If my machine can handle maxed out graphical settings in-game, why in the world are cut-scenes such a dreadful chore to render?

Vehicle controls are not just modestly too realistic, they're OVERLY realistic: Making the game feel more like work than an escape probably wasn't the best course to take here. The higher-end cars would seem to be the way out of this quagmire, yet they actually magnify this effect. They're not stogy and unresponsive, no, but they're overly twitchy and even less fun to pilot.

I've played some disappointing Rockstar games in my time, but this one easily tops the list. I say this only having played for a few hours, but I can't honestly think of anything I'd rather continue doing less than muddle through this fiasco.

If you're eagerly awaiting GTA 5 for the PC and are seriously thinking of purchasing this to fill your wistful, empty hours until it is finally released to us PC plebs, I implore you not to bother.

I'd honestly rather replay one of the decent GTA releases, GTA:VC including the impossible RC helicopter missions and ridiculous "try until you want to cry" boat missions all the way through again, rather than continue with this shambolic offering an hour longer.

For shame, Rockstar. For shame.
  53. Nov 28, 2011
    Stand-alone, GTA IV would be a 9/10, but compared to San Andreas, GTA IV is a step forward in graphics, and back in mechanics. The new (well, 3 year old) game engine was built from the ground up, allowing optimized graphics (for console and powerful PC's), but restricting many mechanical abilities, like semi-truck trailers and such. Overall it's a great game, but is lacking content wise compared to SA, hence the 8 instead of a 9. Expand
  54. Aug 11, 2011
    Its very long, which is a good thing in how it lasts a long time so you won't get bored, and a bad thing because you may buy another game halfway through completion then play that and forget about GTA. The game has many very fun and exciting missions. 2 things I don't like: 1. there are too many characters, ( I don't know who half the people in my phone book are) 2. The missions are too easy, like in the mission where you rescue roman, (around 27% through) you have to kill around 30 people in a warehouse over 4 floors. the enemies AI is really bad, (you can just walk right up to them and shoot them, and they won't shoot you).

there are things I like about the game:

1.The map is very big, which is a good thing, because in games like Vice City, the map was very small and game play felt restricted.
    2. The choice of cars, (my personal favourite is the Dodge charger or "Dukes" as it is known in the game.
    3. online mode is very fun but it is annoying when your trying to meet with a friend and some guy keeps killing you.

worth the buy definitely
  55. Aug 5, 2011
    this game is like others gta but the graphics are too low which means is a little bad,sorry
  56. Nov 18, 2012
    I'll start with the Good to, at least somewhat, soften the impact of the Bad which is to follow. The GOOD: Superb voice acting (i don't know why the main character sounds like Shrek - but i don't care - i dig it!); involving characters (funny, rude, stereotypical - awesome!); humorous and deep story (something that many games lack today, and which sucks you in - thumbs up!). The BAD?.. Well, for those of you who know what PC stands for and did not forget your roots: THIS IS A PORT! And a VERY VERY BAD PORT AT THAT! I spent 4 to 5 hours, trying to configure everything i could in this game's folder's: i have downloaded Mods, i edited command lines, i replaced files, i tuned up my OS, updated ALL the drivers that i could find on my rig (and some on my neighbor's computer), i defragged, i cleaned, i scanned, i moved, i reinstalled, and i have overwritten! And GTA IV could barely run at a stable 30 FPS, on a Good Quad Core, Crossfire, Overclocked System, 3 (three!) years after its release! Pathetic! And 30 FPS in GTA IV is FAR FAR FAAAAR FROM SMOOTH! Just read the forums, guys - you'll understand: the game is extremely badly (if at all) optimized for the PC. And what that shows me is that the developers don't care about me as a GAMER! I won't even start jabbering about Windows LIVE required account and all that crap... But i'm tired of spending money on games that don't work! From now on - i'll do a 5-minute research on a game before i buy, and if it's a port, or requires such crap as Windows LIVE - i'll skip it, and save my money for games the developers of which still do give a ***t about me as a valued customer! Perhaps i am alone - but you won't get those dollars out of my pocket! No Respect! Expand
  57. Dec 10, 2011
    Grand Theft Auto IV is the best GTA game and maybe the best SandBox game but on consoles.....
    On PC this is very good game with very good graphics. GTA IV is one of my favorites games but this can be better. Too many bugs, no bad but no good optimalize ruined this perfect SandBox. Graphics in game is really nice but i can't play on max. because i have old but no bad PC...[optimalize....]

On low grahics i have max 30 fps...... This isn't my PC fault because i played Crysis 2 on high graphics but Crysis 2 have better optimalize......
    Missions on game is really no lined and all times u can played new kind of missions. I advice this game all GTA fans and people who likes great SandBoxes. My rate is 9.1/10.
  58. Aug 16, 2011
    i played this game with a acer 4551 with an hd4250 and it runs on low graphic but you will have fun, now i have a phenom 955 + hd5770 and i run this on maximun quality, just punt the shows on high and this will double the fps, the game is sick, this is real enterteiment
  59. Sep 16, 2011
    Wow, I have to preface by acknowledging the immense hostility in the user score towards this game. I did not play this on the PC at the outset, but I have since been playing it, and although I hear it was incredibly buggy out of the box, patch 1.07 as it stands is wonderful. If you have the machine to play it, it is one of the more beautiful games for the PC, with a rich modding community behind it which tries to push the graphics even further. The controls aren't exactly great for mouse and keyboard, but it happily accepts the 360 gamepad, or you can use an emulator to use a PS3 pad. The game itself is pretty damn awesome, and I really have to stress how much better it looks than the console version, as well as having a "clip capture" feature similar to onlive's brag clip feature that allows you to capture and post the details of the random zany accidents you get into when crashing sports cars. I don't like that it uses the "social club", I despise all extraneous logins for any game, but you don't have to log in unless you want multiplayer.

All in all, because GTAIV is an amazing game, and it really takes advantage of the graphical capabilities of the PC version, unlike so many ports (and I have to add, the graphics tuning utility is EXTRAORDINARILY friendly and informative).
  60. Jan 11, 2012
    rockstar games are better on consoles they dont care a lot about pc gamers but the game is good not like gta :sa but still it good its big with good graphics and good story ,.,. the dlc was worth the money its the same map with a new story... and some c4 and golden uzi and the DAO-12 WOW?! the very disappointing thing is that i have max out the settings and a lot of **** stuff are happening like a lot of cars are very damaged in the back but the graphics arent too good .. i mean when i look back for one sec i see the houses on low details and then maxed and the cars are sill disappearing when they are on my back :C this isnt cool Expand
  61. Jul 5, 2012
    PC version worthed the wait. PC version lacks motion blur and depth of field and provides much better graphics and controls, especially LODs. The only thing missing is anti-aliasing, though i've added FXAA via nvidia control panel. -1 for AA-lack and some bugs. Still, the best GTA and open-world game by far.
  62. Sep 16, 2011
    I'm not one of these, which gives 0 to game because it didn't run on them PC's. I gave this rating because game isn't as awesome as game for 10 should be. Cons: formula isn't nothing fresh. of course, shooting, driving is improved, but it's not deserve the highest score. Even with absolutely gorgeus main plot.
  63. Dec 19, 2012
    I've already reviewed this game at great length for the Xbox 360; mainly noting its dissapointment compared to San Andreas or indeed any other GTA (except maybe GTA III). If you're looking for single player content, this game simply doesn't have any. With a generic (for a GTA game) story, repetitive missions, and a plot/setting/context with zero creativity and some half-arsed mini-games thrown in; it's definitely a game which Rockstar played it safe with - something which nobody expects from a Grand Theft Auto title- which always push the boundaries in open-world freedom of expression and creativity. Multiplayer is new and it has got some good variety but somehow doesn't feel right either. The reason for this is down to the controls. Only official Xbox 360 controllers are supported, and the auto-aim means multiplayer has almost zero skill in combat. It's still fun to play though occasionally due to the variety, which includes three co-op missions. So if you decide to use mouse and keyboard, you'll find the default button mapping to be pretty much perfect. However, the one thing that ruins the whole experience of making it fluent; and this applies more on PC than console - is the extremely clunky response for movement and the camera. Sometimes you feel that you have no control over Niko. My final complaint is with the stability issues and lack of optimisation for PC. Yes, you can still have your own music station as before, but the graphics are far too inefficient. Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing looking game even for today, but it is in desperate need of anti-aliasing even at 1920x1080, especially given the nature of the game. If you don't have around 1.5GB dedicated graphics memory you can't really max it or run it well. I have a 1GB GTX 560 Ti and considering I get 48 FPS on BF3 on High in multiplayer, you'd think this game on max would be a piece of cake. But the draw distance consumes ridiculous amounts of VRAM. The Xbox 360 version, despite getting crap framerate, had at least more consistency in graphics. Screen tearing, freezes, pink textures, AI behaving weird, bugs, glitches - anything you can think of is present. Given the quality of the game as a whole, these technical issues make a mockery of all the claimed $100 million budget. There's also the problem that there is no cfg file where you can adjust anti-aliasing or set a frame limit. You can manually limit the frame rate by entering a command line into a shortcut pointed at the executable, but this still doesn't make for smooth gameplay experience. Even commandline fixes within the game directory can't fix the random freezing, crashing and sometimes textures not loading bugs, which is extremely frustrating. OK that's me done complaining. So what credit does this game actually deserve? The most notable and most significant in my opinion, is how the driving mechanics and the car designs themselves are better than any other open-world game. Not only do cars look beautiful and unique, but they handle differently too. It's very fun to just drive on this game and very rewarding. Better than a lot of racing games if you ask me. Other accomplishments include a decent attempt at capturing New York City. Although most of the city looks pretty bland and copy and pasted throughout and most of it doesn't get used in the main story, it's still not a bad effort given the size. It's very grande and distinctly recognizable. The city does feel authentic and AI is quite good - certainly more realistic than the previous games which had rubbish ragdoll physics and very blocky movement. This is down to the brilliant Euphoria engine in conjunction with RAGE. Other good points about this game include the very nicely paced progression and robust game mechanics such as the combat and the wanted system for losing cops. The classic GTA humour and chat stations are here too. The attention to detail is also impressive- everything from easter eggs to the realistic volume of the radio according to how far away you are from your car. What else? The only thing that remains to be credited is that overall, as a package, it's a solid game. It may not do anything new or do anything exceptionally well, and the content is lacking. However if you consider it on its own without comparing to other open-world games it's a very high quality game on the whole. Sure the PC version isn't optimised and it deserves negative marks for its lack of innovation and the miniscule amount of content for an open-world game, but if you can overlook these issues there's a decent experience to be found here. Just tread with caution and be prepared for some heavy technical issues on the PC version. Expand
  64. Oct 7, 2011
    Just a fun as all the other GTA's but with better graphics. The characters are more fleshed out and the story is up to GTA standard. These are the big positives, now the negatives. The ending requires you to be a pro helicopter pilot to complete the game, something you don't have to learn anywhere else in the game to the same degree of expertise. Also, if you fail as this very poorly thought through part of the game you need to spend 10 minutes of pissing around just to have another shot at it. This is almost as frustrating a the stupid alien world in half-life 1.

What we have is a **** with a beautiful drop dead body but hideous head. Very frustrating ultimately! But if you put a paper bag over its head and don't ever bother finishing the game because it's a pointless exercise in a game like this anyhow then you get to enjoy one hell of a ride. Another small negative I experienced were serious game stopping technical issues related to playing it on a dual core, you should have quad! Its a very enjoyable sandbox game with some very nice imagery.
  65. Jan 26, 2012
    I bought this game on Steam and it won't run--it crashes on startup on our 64-bit Windows 7 machine with a GeForce GTX 470. Steam doesn't give refunds, so all I can do is offer this negative review.
  66. Oct 20, 2011
    Why are you people hating???????? Just because you have a bad computer? Not the games fault! It is amazing. Amazing graphics, amazing gameplay, amazing multiplayer, amazing everything! I have it for PS3 and it runs smoothly on the career. On multiplayer, its a bit hard to get in a game, you need to have good internet connection, but its still AMAZING! STOP putting bad reviews cause you guys cant play it on awesome graphics!!!!!!
    This game deserves a 11 out of 10. Yey, it's that good.
  67. Oct 25, 2011
    A decent game, but marred by bugs, graphics glitches and a STUPID anti-piracy system that punishes the customers rather than the pirates. I don't want to have to register and log in to several services just to play a game - it was cracked a few days after release anyway and, of course, those who pirate the game don't have to jump through all of the hoops that the honest customers do...

Rockstar, if you're going to treat paying PC customers like criminals and then give them **** ports then don't bother.
  68. Oct 27, 2011
    I think the best game that has appeared in the world! I really like, the best gta is released! I like the whole story, the protagonist straight genius! Very good game and who does not say that computers are stupid or do not like him the whole topic.
  69. Nov 13, 2013
    Learning nothing about improving the experience for the player but making better graphics and more interesting characters we have GTA IV. It's not horrible but it's blown out of the water by the saints row franchise.
  70. Aug 17, 2012
    After upgrading my computer to 2012 standards, I can finally enjoy the game at it's highest detail. With mods like iCEnhancer , it looks totally amazing, almost real-life visuals! On top of that, good old GTA gameplay and amazing voice acting and euphoria physics are just too much fun to play with!
    Too bad we had to wait 3 years to finally properly run this.
  71. Oct 24, 2013
    GTA IV is a fantastic game, with excellent fiction and a city that has its own character. I am on my second play through now in preparation for GTA V for the PC and it feels as fresh as it did 3 years ago. I must say that you really need a fast CPU to get good frame rates from this game... I upgraded from a Core2Quad to a Core i5 4670K recently and the game finally runs at 60fps using the same video card... NVidia GTX 480. The game does NOT run better with a better video card. Expand
  72. Feb 6, 2012
    good game, even on pc i still find it very enjoyable compared to console, the only problem i have is with crossfire support, the game wont allow you to use dual graphics cards and thus making me change it back to use of one graphics card everytime i want to play it.
  73. Mar 12, 2012
    As with previous GTA games, this one is packed with hours of action adventure fun in a sandbox that you can call yours. Shoot an old lady, blow up a helicopter, have complete fun causing a mini apocalypse. Make sure you buy the add ons for even more fun. However the PC port is a disaster. Random crashes and bugs, many cheaters online, lots of glitches, cant support SSI. I have a VERY high end alienware desktop, and its still bad. Its about as bad as the PC ports of Saints row 2 and Driver 3. As said before, Play it on console. Make sure you get it on PS3, the online play is free unlike crapbox 360. Expand
  74. May 9, 2014
    Game: Grand Theft Auto IV Genre: Shooting-Action Developer: Rockstar System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 85/100 Value Score: 8.5/10 • Story: 8/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 8/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 7/10 • Length: 9/10 • Replay Value: 9/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Bigger City than in GTAIII, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas +A lot of special events, mini games, etc to play
    +Driving is more realistic than previous games (most people will like this)
    +Multiple Endings
    +Voice acting is fantastic
    +Phone system which gives you access to interacting with other characters, cheats, and other features
    +Replay Value focuses mostly on the open world, mini games, assassination missions and etc missions like previous games
    +Unique features such as the ability to use the police system to track down characters and the ability to get on the internet for additional missions + dating, etc ties more into the replay value as well as gameplay.

Cons
    -Driving can be a pain sometimes (especially when it comes to flying vehicles and boats) compared to previous games cause of the realistic like mechanics (more realistic than previous games)
    -Too many chasing missions which repeat the process again and again far more often than in previous GTA games
    -Stats, physical appearance, etc from San Andreas removed
    -Safe houses reduced significantly and only accessible through storyline terms rather than purchasing like in previous games
  75. Nov 20, 2011
    I'm not rating this game down because it's a poorly optimized game for PC, because I have a computer that can run it fine. In GTA IV, graphics are obviously the peak. For me, San Andreas was a better game because of more to do, not because of the graphics. In my opinion, GTA IV: 9/10, GTA SA: 10/10.
  76. Jan 12, 2014
    Greatest open world action adventure i've played.
    the world is EPIC and alive with stunning visuals,good looking NPCs and awesome weather changes.
    really Great voice actors and EPIC charachters that you gonna remember alot of them.
    the gameplay is really good.......when you shoot someone in his leg he falls and crawls and when you shoot someone on the roof he falls from it, i mean the
    developers did awesome things in the gameplay that i've never seen in alot of games.
    AWESOME radio stations especially the Vladivostok,San juan,The beat,electro and radio Broker,btw my fav song in the game was Gruppa krovi from the Vladivostok FM.
    Stunning cars and driving is awesome and realistic,also realistic crashing and accidents are with no doubt one of the best things in the game,i mean you can just take a car and run into some people and have alot of fun.
    my problems with this game are:
    1- alot of missions are all about whacking and killing people with no strange ideas for missions like these in San andreas.
    2-the game has tons of awesome characters but alot of them you will do 2 missions or 3 only like (Manny,Play boy-X,Bruce and Little jacob)
    3-The story is good but nothing special.
    overall this game is great,you have great graphics,Awesome characters,EPIC living world,great voice actors especially NIKO and Little jacob,alot of new ideas like phone,going online and attending a shows, great main theme and radio stations,also dating was really good.
    but i guess the console version is better.
  77. Nov 20, 2012
    This game was a disappointment to me. I really enjoyed GTA III and GTA:San Andreas, but just couldn't get into this one. The characters weren't as interesting to me, and the missions where just not as fun as some of the earlier GTA games. Hopefully the next installment of GTA improves upon this.
  78. Nov 21, 2013
    This game is rather hard to rate due to it's terrible port to the PC.
    However, gameplay wise it offers a heck of a lot, but not enough to beat San Andreas or the mighty king that is Vice City.
    I did enjoy the game, but there is so many graphical issues and performance issues that take you from the immersion.
    Not a bad game, not a fantastic one either, but worth a play.
  79. Dec 1, 2011
    I have not yet finished the game, but have been amused so far. Although I found vice city much more entertaining in comparison. However, my biggest issue is Microsoft LIVE getting in the way. I TRIED to just play single player, thinking I could avoid registering, but the first point I try to save the game, we get blackmailed into registering so we ca save the **** game. **** but I do it, because in the end i want to play. A day or two later, my game wont open because the microsoft LIVE software keeps crashing. So, **** that whole business arrangement. From now on, if I find out that microsoft live is associated with a game, I am going to download it illegally to avoid this crap. Thats how ganster I am. Expand
  80. Aug 23, 2013
    Is Grand Theft Auto IV a good game? Yes, absolutely, I have not one bad thing to say about it. Is it a good PC port? Absolutely not, in fact I would call it number one for worst PC port of all time. Rockstar clearly spent most of their time jerking off instead of creating a perfect port of one of the best games of its time. Everything is buggy, and I am running a VERY high-end system, and can just barely max the game on highest resolution. There should be NO reason that a guy running a GTX 760 with 2GB of GDDR5 shouldn't be able to handle this game no sweat. I cannot believe Rockstar would screw its fans and players over like this, and the fact that the game has such high praise from critics, they should all be ashamed for letting this slip through the cracks. As a second complaint, being a guy who has Windows 8, the DRM best known as Suckurom crashes when I even attempt to start the game, a bigger kick in the head when I can completely circumvent it after pirating the game so I could actually play it (thanks a ton, you pricks.) If GTA V ever gets ported to PC I hope Rockstar at least learns from a few of their mistakes. Expand
  81. Dec 3, 2011
    Number 1 On My Top 3 List It's Best Game Ever Funny Story,Drugs,Guns,Action,Bowling,Pool,Mcdonalds,Internet Cafe,Missions And Best Of All N
    I
    I
    C
    BELIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  82. Dec 7, 2011
    Pros: -LOT of effort put into making the environment believable (radio banter, TV shows) -characters you can empathize with Cons: -missions are repetitive -you have to start all the way from the beginning if you fail a mission, and this includes the tedium of driving to get there or frantically running into the street to hail a cab -despite the vast city, there are very few places you can actually interact with, and that interaction is not compelling in the slightest (i.e. playing pool, watching a cabaret show)
    -AWFUL driving controls (it's supposed to be 'realistic,' but all it accomplishes is frustrating the player)
    -boring, badly designed combat system (both melee and shooting), bad cover system

Summary:
    On the whole, I felt like I was playing a drama show. I was getting from one story mission to the other as fast as possible so I could watch the next cutscene. I cared for Niko as a character, it's just that the character deserved to be in a better game.
  83. Dec 20, 2011
    After playing GTA:SA, I must say that the graphics have certainly improved (drastically), and Liberty City is bigger and better than ever. Although this game is slightly less open world than I would have hoped, (in comparison to GTA:SA), the ragdoll and crash physics system is more or less fun and hilarious to play with.
    Microsoft does, however, need to optimize the packets sent in
    multiplayer, as there is severe drag and lag unrelated to ISP provided speeds and quality. Expand
  84. Jan 21, 2012
    A highly over-rated game. It is very clear that Rockstar developed this as a console title, because on PC it is very unoptimized, it requires more from your computer to max than many high-end titles released today, but not looking nearly as good. The combat and driving of the game is also very mediocre and the story uninteresting. It is also restricted to the incredibly dumb Games for Windows Live service, even if you buy from steam. That said, it can still be very fun for short periods of time when trolling around in multiplayer with friends. Expand
  85. Dec 22, 2011
    This game is fun with so many mission. However it will be kind of boring for just doing mission. Also the game requires a good cpu and graphic card for smooth game play. Anyway fun game overall!
  86. Apr 27, 2013
    It's GTA. Nothing terribly new, nothing terribly revolutionary. Not a bad sandbox setup but I expect more from a sequel and not just more of the same old, same old. Missions get pretty boring and repetitive. Gun play is so-so. Sadly this game is marred by not breaking from the herd enough and re-invigorating the series in light of Saints Row and Just Cause coming out and putting together similar concepts. Oh, and yes, playing it on PC can be a mess depending on your hardware specs and that it is a half-cooked port. Expand
  87. May 24, 2012
    This port is broken and utterly worthless. Furthermore after you complete the several pages of registration you'll find it would've been easier to pirate the game. Utterly trollish and asinine port.
  88. May 25, 2012
    I quite enjoyed this title but upon completion I felt I was really limited with what there was to do. I would love to have been able to collect a wide variety of vehicles and buy property etc.
  89. Feb 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While playing the game under a GTS450 and an Athlon II X2 260 (Nowhere near the best PC) The game went smoothly, no fps drops nor lags. The controls for the cellphone are awful, in fact. How many times haven't I rejected a call due to be pressing the reject button (that's shared with 2 other commands). Other than that, the movement controls on it's predecessor SA are way better than this one, still the GTA IV movement is more realistic. As I don't really play GTA thinking of realism, the bad movement controls are a problem. Nice hidden content. When I first played GTA III and save the girl, GTA Vice City and you own the world or GTA San Andreas and luck you tempenny! GTA IV makes you wish you hadn't finish the game, the usually warm fuzzy feeling of putting everything in place was ripped from the game. The friends minigames, Ok on the beginning, start to get bad as the game goes on and your phone list increases in size. The graphical quality improved, the radios are still funny, the "friends missions" found throughout the map are the best addition of GTA IV. --TLDR-- Bad Movement controls, boring "relationship quests" and awful story endings kill a good part of playing through GTA IV; But it may still be worthy buying if you find it used for U$15 or less. Expand
  90. May 13, 2012
    Best video game franchise in history. I cannot name any flaw, complaint, and frustration like in some of my other reviews. I just hope GTA V will be out this year.
  91. Oct 6, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto is Grand Theft Auto. It's a game where you get to steal any car you want, murder any person you want and get away with it scot-free (well almost, unless you're caught in the act but the cops are pretty incompetent). It's every misogynist's fantasy and it does it very well. However, the game is pretty dated now so you're probably better off with newer and far superior fare such as Mafia II or Sleeping Dogs, if you're into this sort of thing. Expand
  92. Mar 28, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, and was pretty late into buying it. At the time, I did not have the computer required to run it, but when I did, I had a lot of fun. The missions get tedious and boring at times, but the open world without consequences is always something to go back to. The PC port has some annoying bugs, and even after a few years, the graphics are still decent.
  93. Mar 13, 2012
    If it wasn't for Rockstar banging their heads on the keyboard while writing code for the PC port this would've run better. Fortunately they mitigated most of the issues in 1.0.4.0, but things got worse when they changed the shadow mapping system in 1.0.7.0 as I'm getting lower framerates on my mid-end PC. Heck, I've seen games with better graphics that churn out more fps than this.

The
    game seems a tad easier than the previous installments thanks to the cover system (I played through the Gay Tony EP and it was indeed a relief compared to the coverless combat of the III-era games), but the main campaign's overall length seems a little daunting imo. Expand
  94. Apr 3, 2012
    Grand Theft Auto IV represents one of the worst attempts to make even mildly serious game in completely psychedelic franchise. Good job R*, you just ruined GTA.

Buggy PC port is also a serious issue.
  95. Mar 21, 2012
    1 thing i could say. AMAZING amazing graphics amazing story and you look at the sense of humor this game has and the game is more "open world" than the previous versions
  96. Apr 27, 2014
    I enjoyed it, but I was expecting more. I know it's not easy to make better than San Andreas, but I think GTA IV has great action too and it's a great game indeed.
  97. Apr 3, 2012
    Grand Theft Auto 4 is, in my opinion, the best Grand Theft Auto game. While it is true that the vanilla game isn't as over-the-top as previous Grand Theft Auto titles, the modding community for this game is massive, and there are tons of mods that can turn the game into a fun sandbox experience rather than a gritty crime shooter. The multiplayer is also great fun, and offers a wide array of gamemodes to keep you and your friends occupied for hours. My only complaint is that the game does require a reasonably high-end machine to run well on anything but the lowest settings, so I do not recommend this game for users with lower-end machines. Still, this is a great game with one of the best modding communities out there! Expand
  98. Apr 2, 2013
    A good game if you like the GTA theme. Runs ok on a reasonable pc/vga combo, I'm getting playable frame rates on a HD6770 card, with all but one of the settings on high, and the three sliders on 35/50/50 (from the top, down) My console buddies say it looks better & runs smoother than it does on the ps3. I'd imagine it looks stunning with a 2Gb card and some texture/rendering mods. A good game still, with the mods to make what you will of it. Pick it up on Steam (when it's on sale) for less than a tenner. Expand
  99. Apr 25, 2012
    I've been playing the Grand Theft Auto games since the first one got released, and this is certainly one of the best ones in todays standard. Sure, personally I prefer Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City over this one, but it's still a very enjoyable game.

As always, Grand Theft Auto is best played on a computer.
  100. Nov 13, 2012
    I have been playing Grand theft auto series since the very first version of this game. I remember I used to run it from a floppy disk. Its great to see how much this game keeps evolving. I really do not understand why so many people is bashing on this game. While I understand there are considerable flaws mentioned before as bugs and glitches, every damn game has them. BFD. Anyway, the game has a few additions compared to the older GTA series, it has several interactions with NPC characters as friendship, dating etc. I see many people complaining about them, that it takes out the real action of the game, complaints about the story being too long. I don't get it. It is not like you are being forced to date every npc in order to progress as they only add certain perks during the story. When a game is too short, people complain about it. When its too long, they complain too! This game is a great addition to the series and one of my favorites by far. Lots of in game content to do if you wanna stall your progression a bit, you can unlock perks from dating chicks and raising up friends rep, get extra cash from side jobs, there is just lots to do for a single player game. This game is not intended to be finished in one or two sits, if that is your intention, you should stay away from it. Also, to maximize fun, I totally recommend not to use any sort of cheats and take your time with all the game brings up to this release. As for the graphics, I play with 2 different computers, the poorest GPU I play this game with is a nvidia 9600gt, which is pretty old and run the game pretty well. It is not all about your graphics card, you need enough RAM memory and a decent processor to get it run smooth. I bought it for about 13-15 bucks on steam, I am about 40 hours played and there is still lots to do. Worth every penny. Not to mention there is still the multiplayer option, for those who like playing versus or free for all matches. The only thing I can really say that I dislike about the franchise this far is the requirement of social club and games for windows live registration. You got to create one account on each site in order to utilize all the game features. All in all, its a really fun game if you are a fan of the series and worth every dollar spent. Expand

1. It's the peripheral distractions of both going out with Roman, and meeting your girlfriends, that really make your virtual life so worth living. Although incredibly simplistic, they're oddly touching...One of the finest videogames ever. [Christmas 2008, p.87]
  2. The most grown-up GTA and the best realised, but it doesn't respect the PC much. Enjoy the multiplayer madness if you can. [Christmas 2008, p.96]
  3. A genuinely ground-breaking blockbuster in videogame history. There were moments playing GTA IV that I thought back to my initial experiences with games, and realised exactly how far we've come. There's never been anything quite like GTA IV in the world. That there makes me genuinely happy to be a gamer.