6.4

Mixed or average reviews- based on 1990 Ratings

1. Jul 13, 2013
    I got this for £5 on Steam which was brilliant but when I went to play the game it all went wrong because of the stupid Microsoft Live sign in to save game progress, I signed up for it all yet it still doesn't work so every time I log in it still tells me to create an account, F**k you Microsoft for ruining a great game. Just buy it on console.
  2. Jul 16, 2013
    This game is great. Unfortunately the combination of Games for Windows Live and Rockstar Social Club leads to a DRM f@%kfest that renders what might have been a great port into a useless pile of unplayable garbage. Glitches, fps drop, and crashing are what I come to expect from a port but when I can't even start the game due to login issues I have to say its bad
  3. Nov 20, 2013
    Just finished the game and I have to say that I did enjoy most of it. The story kept me playing and wanting to know what happens next. Characters were well written. Performance was decent, better what I expected. But here comes the big downside; it is a port and not a good one. The aiming felt terrible, everything but precise. I also felt some mouse input lag, though it might be partlyJust finished the game and I have to say that I did enjoy most of it. The story kept me playing and wanting to know what happens next. Characters were well written. Performance was decent, better what I expected. But here comes the big downside; it is a port and not a good one. The aiming felt terrible, everything but precise. I also felt some mouse input lag, though it might be partly because of the occasional slowdowns. Everything above I can deal with, since the story was quite good and the world was somewhat interesting, but there was this huge glitch in the last mission. Probably not news to anyone anymore but god damn was it frustrating. Google it. Never ever again. For the summary: Great story, great characters, decent world and decent frame rate but such a horrible pc port which is the reason why I wouldn't play it again on pc. Expand
  4. Nov 13, 2013
    Learning nothing about improving the experience for the player but making better graphics and more interesting characters we have GTA IV. It's not horrible but it's blown out of the water by the saints row franchise.
  5. Oct 6, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto is Grand Theft Auto. It's a game where you get to steal any car you want, murder any person you want and get away with it scot-free (well almost, unless you're caught in the act but the cops are pretty incompetent). It's every misogynist's fantasy and it does it very well. However, the game is pretty dated now so you're probably better off with newer and far superior fareGrand Theft Auto is Grand Theft Auto. It's a game where you get to steal any car you want, murder any person you want and get away with it scot-free (well almost, unless you're caught in the act but the cops are pretty incompetent). It's every misogynist's fantasy and it does it very well. However, the game is pretty dated now so you're probably better off with newer and far superior fare such as Mafia II or Sleeping Dogs, if you're into this sort of thing. Expand
  6. Nov 18, 2014
    This game have some optimization problems and you may need a decent system. All performance issues at the side the game is actually very well written. Filled with character and a dark vibe the story is very well made. Gameplay can be a bit clunky but overall it's immersive and you never feel alone in this lively city.
  7. Sep 3, 2013
    I have to admit this game received mixed reviews. This games still deserves credit though. Its something new. First, I would start with its negative review. So many glitches. It sucked. It lacks a lot from its previous successors.Now, the positive reviews. The game's great. Great graphics, storyline, mechanics and creativity and new features.
  8. Aug 10, 2013
    Awesome game. Intriguing story, awesome graphics, fun to play. Well, mybe PC port could be better (back when released only ultra-hi-end PC could run it maxed), but now game runs flawlessly for most gamers. Great modding community.
  9. Oct 11, 2013
    This game is completely and utterly terrible. Its boring and repetitive and ridiculously frustrating. The only thing I liked was the city. Liberty City breathes and feels real, That's the only thing I like about this game, other then that, it's simply terrible and a waste of money. Even the textures are terrible for its time.
  10. Mar 5, 2014
    It has good graphics and many activities to do, but the missions are repetitive and the plot is not good. Scams and sexual perversion is, something that is not popular video game. 7 and nothing else.
  11. Mar 15, 2014
    Игра нехорошая, некачественно сделана. Начиная с графики на своем ужасном движке и заканчивая миссиями, которые очень сложно пройти и сложность игры нельзя поменять. Они врут, что много денег тратят на игру, они ничего не тратят, они даже движок нормальный для игры покупать не хотят, делают на своем движке. А игру покупают, потому что она популярна и люди деградированы настолько, чтоИгра нехорошая, некачественно сделана. Начиная с графики на своем ужасном движке и заканчивая миссиями, которые очень сложно пройти и сложность игры нельзя поменять. Они врут, что много денег тратят на игру, они ничего не тратят, они даже движок нормальный для игры покупать не хотят, делают на своем движке. А игру покупают, потому что она популярна и люди деградированы настолько, что играют в такое. Expand
  12. Aug 8, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto IV is a massive, amazing, beautiful game. For consoles, that is.

It seems that the great aspects of this game, and though there are many of them, are vastly outweighed by the simple fact that Rockstar Games couldn't take the time to even do as much as simply pretend that they care about their PC gaming fans.

13. Feb 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While playing the game under a GTS450 and an Athlon II X2 260 (Nowhere near the best PC) The game went smoothly, no fps drops nor lags. The controls for the cellphone are awful, in fact. How many times haven't I rejected a call due to be pressing the reject button (that's shared with 2 other commands). Other than that, the movement controls on it's predecessor SA are way better than this one, still the GTA IV movement is more realistic. As I don't really play GTA thinking of realism, the bad movement controls are a problem. Nice hidden content. When I first played GTA III and save the girl, GTA Vice City and you own the world or GTA San Andreas and luck you tempenny! GTA IV makes you wish you hadn't finish the game, the usually warm fuzzy feeling of putting everything in place was ripped from the game. The friends minigames, Ok on the beginning, start to get bad as the game goes on and your phone list increases in size. The graphical quality improved, the radios are still funny, the "friends missions" found throughout the map are the best addition of GTA IV. --TLDR-- Bad Movement controls, boring "relationship quests" and awful story endings kill a good part of playing through GTA IV; But it may still be worthy buying if you find it used for U$15 or less. Expand
  14. May 13, 2011
    Grand Theft Auto IV is a game I can respect but not appreciate. The enormous sandbox city and lifelike interaction are definitely impressive, but much of what I loved about GTA San Andreas was lost to me here. The game shifts very far from cars now as you no longer have a garage and customization is limited if not completely removed. Fortunately the graphics are fantastic, especially withGrand Theft Auto IV is a game I can respect but not appreciate. The enormous sandbox city and lifelike interaction are definitely impressive, but much of what I loved about GTA San Andreas was lost to me here. The game shifts very far from cars now as you no longer have a garage and customization is limited if not completely removed. Fortunately the graphics are fantastic, especially with a good PC, and the story is pretty good. I hope to see more of an automobile focus in GTA V, because c'mon, the game is named Grand Theft Auto! Expand
  15. Apr 20, 2011
    Caved and downloaded it from Steam over the weekend given they were giving it away for just $5. Now that I have the game up and running it seems like fun but yes it was a PITA to get working. Windows Live took several installs and reboots to get running. I've skipped the "Social Club" entirely. I have a dual core OC'd to 3.6Ghz, 4 meg of ram and a GTX460 1Mb video card and I can just aboutCaved and downloaded it from Steam over the weekend given they were giving it away for just $5. Now that I have the game up and running it seems like fun but yes it was a PITA to get working. Windows Live took several installs and reboots to get running. I've skipped the "Social Club" entirely. I have a dual core OC'd to 3.6Ghz, 4 meg of ram and a GTX460 1Mb video card and I can just about get a steady 40fps at 720p. This is following the presumably several patches it has undergone previously. Like Crysis this is a system taxer to the point of ridiculousness. Unlike Crysis, even with everything cranked up it still doesn't look good. In the end I added the ENB mod which adds anti-aliasing and now it finally looks like a semi-decent game. GTA games were never known for their steady frame-rates or stellar graphics but at least you could jump in and enjoy the great gameplay on consoles. I'm happy with the install now but man it took some tweaking to get it to a point where now I can "just jump in." Expand
  16. Dec 10, 2012
    Annoying and boring missions, that try to draw you in, but fail and little action, the story falls flat. The mechanics are not very good either, but that what makes this game fun because of the goofy mechanics. Only buy at a low price.
  17. Mar 26, 2012
    The graphics are amazing. The music is amazing. The game itself? It's awful. Terrible. Horrible. Here's a summary of the missions. Spoilers ahead:

Mission 1: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill some people. Mission 2: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill a person Mission 7: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill some people Mission 29: drive to forgettable dirty city

Mission 1: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill some people.
    Mission 2: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill a person
    Mission 7: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill some people
    Mission 29: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill some people
    Mission 72: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill person

That is the entire game. I am trying to play through it for the second time, and I just can not make myself finish. I'm at the last sequence of missions, and it's miserably boring due to the repetition. They made a beautiful game. A masterpiece of videogame art. But they forgot to make it fun.
  18. Mar 12, 2011
    After buying this game on Steam, i was really looking forward to playing it.. .. only.. no matter how many times i tried, it just wouldnt login so i could play it.. after trawling the forums, i eventually found out why, it needs an xbox live account to play it, and a games for windows live account, getting these setup took a considerable amount of time, and more than a few hours later, theAfter buying this game on Steam, i was really looking forward to playing it.. .. only.. no matter how many times i tried, it just wouldnt login so i could play it.. after trawling the forums, i eventually found out why, it needs an xbox live account to play it, and a games for windows live account, getting these setup took a considerable amount of time, and more than a few hours later, the game finally finished patching.. and i tried to login.. only. it wouldnt.. some kind of problem with the xbox live servers perhaps, but when it eventually did manage to login.. it played fine.. until i wanted to save the game, because of some kind of server problem at xbox live.. again.. i couldnt save the game. fortunately i had managed to save the game earlier.. but it meant a whole hour or so of progress.. had been lost. in the end, i uninstalled the game.. i just wish i hadnt bought the tales from liberty city module too.. i doubt i've ever regretted buying a game so much before.. when it worked it was fine.. but the xbox live thing just totally spoiled the game, all i can say is im not going to make that mistake ever again, i don't care how good the game is.. if it has xbox live as a requirement.. then i am definitely not buying it. Expand
  19. Jun 14, 2011
    Dear Grand Taxicab Auto, please, please, stop with the cut-scenes already! Give your script editor a red pen and ask him/her to "X" out big chunks of dialog next time, won't you? And won't my darn phone ever stop ringing? Especially when I answer it and then I can't run but instead have to walk... slowly... oh so very slowly....? I play games to escape from everyday chores such as deletingDear Grand Taxicab Auto, please, please, stop with the cut-scenes already! Give your script editor a red pen and ask him/her to "X" out big chunks of dialog next time, won't you? And won't my darn phone ever stop ringing? Especially when I answer it and then I can't run but instead have to walk... slowly... oh so very slowly....? I play games to escape from everyday chores such as deleting texts, ignoring emails and pointlessly driving across town during rush hour with a car load of social lowlifes. Only to arrive at my destination and be served a mediocre third person shooter. I never finished GTA San Treadmill for much the same reasons, and I was hoping your older siblings would've taught you a few lessons, but alas, I guess not. At least you let me hail taxis to skip the Auto part and get right to the Theft bits, but why oh why isn't there a cab around when you really, really need one? All said, you're a pretty game to look at and even to play sometimes, but only when you'll stop boring me with mundane tasks and actually let me escape with you, that is. Expand
  20. Jan 3, 2011
    This game is so bad... Its just a port from Xbox to PC thats why it ran so badly, my PC was way above the requirements and the worst part is, I completed the game with insanely bad framerate. The missions are repetative, your meant to do this or kill someone but its an ambush. Just a flatout horrible game.
  21. Oct 28, 2010
    When I first bought the game, it ran like a dog on lowest setting using a fairly high-end pc set up. If you're not buying the latest gear, don't even bother.
    A new graphics card later it ran, but the terrible, console style controls force you to use a game controller. Don't have an x-box game controller? Don't bother trying to drive anywhere. Or turn corners while walking.
    Since I always
    Since I always like their stories, I tried coming back to it after months (and probably win7 service pack 3) to find it won't load past the logo screens. I've tried everything I've found online to try to solve the issue with no success.
    R* can jump off a cliff. I am done with their bs, and despite owning pretty much everything they've made to date (bugs and all), I will never buy from them again. I feel like the entire package was a bait and switch for pc owners - Thanks for your $50, did you actually want to play that? Oh sorry, we haven't implemented that feature yet.
    Don't even bother buying it on special. Chances are it won't load at all. Go to a movie instead and save yourself days of screwing around.
  22. Mar 30, 2011
    A game that you can't play, is worth nothing. And GTAIV PC is a game that you can't play. It requires a credit card to register GFWL, requires registering Social Club & has other annoyances like Securom, and yes that's when you got it from Steam - buying a game on Steam and having to register GFWL, find the error. I'm glad I didn't pay too much for it. It's possibly a good game, onA game that you can't play, is worth nothing. And GTAIV PC is a game that you can't play. It requires a credit card to register GFWL, requires registering Social Club & has other annoyances like Securom, and yes that's when you got it from Steam - buying a game on Steam and having to register GFWL, find the error. I'm glad I didn't pay too much for it. It's possibly a good game, on consoles that is. From what I read it's also full of bugs, that I will never know. GTA3 was already a very bad PC port so I wouldn't be surprised. Another game that looks like a huge amount of work, ruined by abuse of marketing. Expand
  23. Oct 25, 2011
    A decent game, but marred by bugs, graphics glitches and a STUPID anti-piracy system that punishes the customers rather than the pirates. I don't want to have to register and log in to several services just to play a game - it was cracked a few days after release anyway and, of course, those who pirate the game don't have to jump through all of the hoops that the honest customers do...A decent game, but marred by bugs, graphics glitches and a STUPID anti-piracy system that punishes the customers rather than the pirates. I don't want to have to register and log in to several services just to play a game - it was cracked a few days after release anyway and, of course, those who pirate the game don't have to jump through all of the hoops that the honest customers do...

Rockstar, if you're going to treat paying PC customers like criminals and then give them **** ports then don't bother.
  24. Aug 23, 2013
    Is Grand Theft Auto IV a good game? Yes, absolutely, I have not one bad thing to say about it. Is it a good PC port? Absolutely not, in fact I would call it number one for worst PC port of all time. Rockstar clearly spent most of their time jerking off instead of creating a perfect port of one of the best games of its time. Everything is buggy, and I am running a VERY high-end system, andIs Grand Theft Auto IV a good game? Yes, absolutely, I have not one bad thing to say about it. Is it a good PC port? Absolutely not, in fact I would call it number one for worst PC port of all time. Rockstar clearly spent most of their time jerking off instead of creating a perfect port of one of the best games of its time. Everything is buggy, and I am running a VERY high-end system, and can just barely max the game on highest resolution. There should be NO reason that a guy running a GTX 760 with 2GB of GDDR5 shouldn't be able to handle this game no sweat. I cannot believe Rockstar would screw its fans and players over like this, and the fact that the game has such high praise from critics, they should all be ashamed for letting this slip through the cracks. As a second complaint, being a guy who has Windows 8, the DRM best known as Suckurom crashes when I even attempt to start the game, a bigger kick in the head when I can completely circumvent it after pirating the game so I could actually play it (thanks a ton, you pricks.) If GTA V ever gets ported to PC I hope Rockstar at least learns from a few of their mistakes. Expand
  25. Jun 10, 2012
    decent console game but what the **** its kind of insulting that they would release a game that performs this poorly, i have a very capable system i7, AMD HD 7770 graphics card, 12 gb's of ram, i can get it to run somewhat smoothly but using only 700 Mb of Vram, i feel completely cheated.
  26. Dec 21, 2012
    I bought this game for 8 Euro on Steam and it was worth it. Many people here say they have FPS drops, bugs, etc... But I didn't have any of these problems. The game is fun and for me the story is somehow exiting and if you have already done the singleplayer, go on multiplayer. Bored with multiplayer? Get a trailer get some friends and do **** No internet? Go on singleplayer and do ****I bought this game for 8 Euro on Steam and it was worth it. Many people here say they have FPS drops, bugs, etc... But I didn't have any of these problems. The game is fun and for me the story is somehow exiting and if you have already done the singleplayer, go on multiplayer. Bored with multiplayer? Get a trailer get some friends and do **** No internet? Go on singleplayer and do **** I've played this game for 187 hours. Expand
  27. Dec 8, 2012
    Nicely done but becomes a little repetitive after a while. There should be more around the story, or more interesting missions than just go and shoot a bunch of people to steal something. Yet, it's addictive and characters are quite developed with clear cut personalities (Little Jacob is AWESOME!).
    However, after playing for 60 hours, I'm struggling real bad with some missions, after retrying them for like 20 times. No way to skip them, no help, it SUCKS! I'm so fed up to redo the same things again and again and have Nicko not respond to what I ask him to do, ending up dying in the most retarded ways ever. I give up. It ruined my game experience so bad that I now hate the game. Well done Rockstar for not putting any save-points for the long missions and force the player to do the same things during 30 minutes every time, again and again, for nothing.
  28. Aug 24, 2010
    DO NOT BUY IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF $20 THERE ARE LESS PAINFUL WAYS TO DO IT. I got it off steam installed it and immediately crashed black screen fatal error. Well I wasted some more time I wont get back doing about 20-25 steps off the steam forum(R* doesn't even have their own forum) trying to get it to work. This is completely unacceptable and I wont be buying rockstar games in the future.
  29. Sep 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very poor example of a game coming onto the PC port instead of trying to stabilize the games the game company tries to improve the graphics only to make much worse for people with low-end gaming rig, see I'm a person who owns a high-end rig but it still lags to about 15-20 fps I had to turn off all the textures setting only to find out that the game gets about 23-25 fps

Even then analyzing the story and the gameplay itself is nothing special and that 95% of the mission have nothing to do with the story which is about Niko Bellic trying grab the man who's betrayed his squad in the previous war, the mission feel like a set chores unlike in GTA San Andreas which most of the mission relating to story and trying to get back to the CJ once had in the hood.
    The only other thing about this game that seems like something to praise is the cover-based system and that the only fun thing to do most of the time is to camp at the Bohan safehouse and kill some police officers having six stars but even then you can't do that because this game LAGS to much.
    Lack of variety I see too can't get stronger, ridiculous clothing or getting fat which was the fun part about GTA SA.
    Overall if you have the most powerful gaming rig in the world that us poor can't buy than GTA IV is up your alley but even then so is Crysis.
  30. Jul 12, 2011
    (Sorry, didn't know metacritic doesn't recognize paragraphs)
    (Sorry, didn't know metacritic doesn't recognize paragraphs)
    I just purchased this game for dirt cheap and I had absolutely no problems running the game in high detail on my newish PC - 3 years after release. It still feels like a waste of money. I heard many good things about this game from everyone and really seemed up my alley. I also own an Xbox controller for the PC so I was able to enjoy the same controls 360 users have. All in all, I am playing a just plain better version of GTAIV. All that said, after a good 20 hours, I have to say this is the most overrated piece of twaddle in gaming history. I am astounded at how many perfect 10s this game received despite a laundry list of glaring problems, affirming my suspicion that games are rated on graphics and presentation alone, with 0% of fun factor being considered.

This game has some awesome moments. The realistic graphics really make for some cinematic scenes. Gun fights can be amazing in destructible environments, with pillars being shredded by gunfire. The realistic graphics and physics give the automobile-related incidents a new "oh snap" factor. I really enjoyed how the new realistic and serious twist put more gravity into your violent actions. It's just too bad the game does almost nothing to nurture these elements. First of all, the controls are godawful. Niko moves like he's wearing a 60-lb backpack and the cover button is just plain clunky. The snap-to-target system rarely chooses an enemy close to your reticule. Instead it just seems to choose a random yokel fully behind cover while someone that was in your reticule before you hit the aim button fills you up with machine gun fire. This is great considering that missions have no checkpoints, so there is no feeling of frustration like driving halfway across town to pick up a car again because Niko was too stupid to target the guy 5 feet in front of him or you didn't know you were going to need a really fast car to chase a helicopter. It becomes a bit easier, later, when you realize all of the missions are a exactly the same. Drive to point A (maybe on a timer), kill guy ( maybe chase him in car), maybe lose the police. This gets real old in a game with so much potential for mayhem.

In fact, that leads into the main problem of the game: it just seems to want to waste your time instead of provide fun things to do. Your friends call constantly to do inane, unwelcome minigames, others constantly call your phone to make you sit through a five minute cut scene before doing the same mission again. You are constantly being nagged to do anything but free roam, which is OK I guess because the game provides absolutely no incentive to free roam. You can go on a rampage, of course, but make sure to save first because the game does nothing but you put in the hospital or take away all your weapons for causing a ruckus, nor does it provide you with anything resembling fun targets (not unarmed civilians) for some good ol' action while free roaming. Instead, why not just follow the storyline? It has its moments, but its altogether too long, thanks to driving around, again with no incentive to go really fast except to have to restart the mission because your passenger flew out the window. I won't get started on the phone as well. I can't believe you have to manually dial any number in something that is supposed to be fun. It's also great that Niko can't carjack while someone flaps his gums on phone with him for 5 minutes. Of course, if you are really bored, you could watch TV in game instead of turning off the game and watching actual good TV (What?), go to a cabaret or comedy club instead of visiting Youtube, or any other diversion that has nothing to do with playing a game. You could also slow down and listen to the radio. There is a huge list of licensed music which I was looking forward too, but have heard maybe 5 songs so far in between the 20 minutes straight of cringe-inducing unfunny radio ads, DJ comments, and news breaks, not to mention the humor of the radio/TV doesn't mix at all with the semi-serious tone of the story. I ended up turning off the music altogether and using Windows Media Player in the background.

All in all, 99% of what this game has to offer is entirely unwelcome. It's really too bad, because it presented a sweet physics system and infinite potential to turn a modern city upside-down. Instead, it envelops itself in self-important drama, asinine courier tasks, and inconvenience in the sake of immersion.

Maybe GTA4 was a sign of the times. Maybe it was the draught of games we had in 2008, maybe the economic scare was so serious that we all just wanted to escape into a virtual world, even if it wasn't very fun. Maybe it's just the forerunner in a trend of games for people who hate games but just want to escape.

1. It's the peripheral distractions of both going out with Roman, and meeting your girlfriends, that really make your virtual life so worth living. Although incredibly simplistic, they're oddly touching...One of the finest videogames ever. [Christmas 2008, p.87]
  2. The most grown-up GTA and the best realised, but it doesn't respect the PC much. Enjoy the multiplayer madness if you can. [Christmas 2008, p.96]
  3. A genuinely ground-breaking blockbuster in videogame history. There were moments playing GTA IV that I thought back to my initial experiences with games, and realised exactly how far we've come. There's never been anything quite like GTA IV in the world. That there makes me genuinely happy to be a gamer.