6.3

1. Sep 25, 2010
    Absolutely not worth it. The download took a very long time, and unless your PC is running well above the minimum specs (which are already pretty high, and easily knocks out any non-gaming built PCs), then this game will lag terribly with severe glitching and control issues (and yes, I am talking about rock-bottom bare-minimum visual and audio effects). Sadly, I was unable to get past the 4th cutscene before my computer gave in on me. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2012
    The graphics are amazing. The music is amazing. The game itself? It's awful. Terrible. Horrible. Here's a summary of the missions. Spoilers ahead: Mission 1: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill some people. Mission 2: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill a person Mission 7: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill some people Mission 29: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill some people
    Mission 72: drive to forgettable dirty city area, kill person

That is the entire game. I am trying to play through it for the second time, and I just can not make myself finish. I'm at the last sequence of missions, and it's miserably boring due to the repetition. They made a beautiful game. A masterpiece of videogame art. But they forgot to make it fun.
  3. Jan 23, 2011
    WARNING: REQUIRES A LIGHTNING-SPEED COMPUTER. I have a Windows 7 from a few months ago. It came with a great video card, which could run almost every game I put on it, like Bad Company 2, COD, and Mafia 2. Every game, except, GTA IV. The file size is like 14GB, and it runs slow as a bad server on COD Black Ops, even on the lowest settings. What's even worse is that you need to get a Windows Live account in order to SAVE. The Windows Live thing hasn't been fixed in over 4 years, and Microsoft doesn't even care about it anymore. DON'T GET THIS ON PC. GET IT ON PS3 OR XBOX 360 Expand
  4. Mar 12, 2011
    After buying this game on Steam, i was really looking forward to playing it.. .. only.. no matter how many times i tried, it just wouldnt login so i could play it.. after trawling the forums, i eventually found out why, it needs an xbox live account to play it, and a games for windows live account, getting these setup took a considerable amount of time, and more than a few hours later, the game finally finished patching.. and i tried to login.. only. it wouldnt.. some kind of problem with the xbox live servers perhaps, but when it eventually did manage to login.. it played fine.. until i wanted to save the game, because of some kind of server problem at xbox live.. again.. i couldnt save the game. fortunately i had managed to save the game earlier.. but it meant a whole hour or so of progress.. had been lost. in the end, i uninstalled the game.. i just wish i hadnt bought the tales from liberty city module too.. i doubt i've ever regretted buying a game so much before.. when it worked it was fine.. but the xbox live thing just totally spoiled the game, all i can say is im not going to make that mistake ever again, i don't care how good the game is.. if it has xbox live as a requirement.. then i am definitely not buying it. Expand
  5. Feb 15, 2011
    I held off for a long time before buying this game. I must say that after 2 years of waiting. I wish I would not have bothered buying GTA 4. First off It took 2 days just to get Microshaft live to work properly just so I could save. I cant even use my Philips gamepad, because MS basically paid R* to monopolize on full support for xbox controller for pc ONLY. I am almost done with the game (mission 85), and I am flat out bored of the same thing over and over again. All missions are the same. If this is the direction R* is taking GTA then count me out for future releases. On a score of 1 - 10 I give it a 1.5, and that is being fair. It seems R* now has a trademark. Every GTA game I have played I would find this http://www.drxdesigns.com/screenshots/rstrademark.jpg I am a freelance 3d graphic artist, so it is easy for me to find these faults. VC, SA both had texture stretching. Of course all this is just my opinion, just the same as everyone else, and I am entitled to that! R* use to be my favorite game company, now very bottom of the list. 2 Thumbs down to GTA 4, and Rockstar. Expand
  6. Dec 8, 2012
    Nicely done but becomes a little repetitive after a while. There should be more around the story, or more interesting missions than just go and shoot a bunch of people to steal something. Yet, it's addictive and characters are quite developed with clear cut personalities (Little Jacob is AWESOME!).
    However, after playing for 60 hours, I'm struggling real bad with some missions, after
    retrying them for like 20 times. No way to skip them, no help, it SUCKS! I'm so fed up to redo the same things again and again and have Nicko not respond to what I ask him to do, ending up dying in the most retarded ways ever. I give up. It ruined my game experience so bad that I now hate the game. Well done Rockstar for not putting any save-points for the long missions and force the player to do the same things during 30 minutes every time, again and again, for nothing. Expand
  7. Jan 3, 2011
    This game is so bad... Its just a port from Xbox to PC thats why it ran so badly, my PC was way above the requirements and the worst part is, I completed the game with insanely bad framerate. The missions are repetative, your meant to do this or kill someone but its an ambush. Just a flatout horrible game.
  8. Oct 28, 2010
    When I first bought the game, it ran like a dog on lowest setting using a fairly high-end pc set up. If you're not buying the latest gear, don't even bother.
    A new graphics card later it ran, but the terrible, console style controls force you to use a game controller. Don't have an x-box game controller? Don't bother trying to drive anywhere. Or turn corners while walking.
    Since I always
    like their stories, I tried coming back to it after months (and probably win7 service pack 3) to find it won't load past the logo screens. I've tried everything I've found online to try to solve the issue with no success.
    R* can jump off a cliff. I am done with their bs, and despite owning pretty much everything they've made to date (bugs and all), I will never buy from them again. I feel like the entire package was a bait and switch for pc owners - Thanks for your $50, did you actually want to play that? Oh sorry, we haven't implemented that feature yet.
    Don't even bother buying it on special. Chances are it won't load at all. Go to a movie instead and save yourself days of screwing around.
  9. Jun 23, 2011
    It beats me how this game received a metascore of 90. It seems to have potential, I'll give it that, but the abysmal controls, bad dialog, and boring starter missions made me drop it after 2 hours. I might have been a bit annoyed with it to start with, because their lame attempt to market that windows gaming platform with the saving mechanism and random crashes.
    Sad thing is, they emulate
    the cars physics pretty well, which unfortunately is completely pointless with digital 0/1 controls. Again, there seems to be potential, but for me it had way too many flaws to get that far.
    P.S.: Hardware requirements are a bit ridiculous considering the release date and the eye candy you get for it, but for a modern (2011) gaming rig it's very playable.
  10. Mar 30, 2011
    A game that you can't play, is worth nothing. And GTAIV PC is a game that you can't play. It requires a credit card to register GFWL, requires registering Social Club & has other annoyances like Securom, and yes that's when you got it from Steam - buying a game on Steam and having to register GFWL, find the error. I'm glad I didn't pay too much for it. It's possibly a good game, on consoles that is. From what I read it's also full of bugs, that I will never know. GTA3 was already a very bad PC port so I wouldn't be surprised. Another game that looks like a huge amount of work, ruined by abuse of marketing. Expand
  11. Oct 25, 2011
    A decent game, but marred by bugs, graphics glitches and a STUPID anti-piracy system that punishes the customers rather than the pirates. I don't want to have to register and log in to several services just to play a game - it was cracked a few days after release anyway and, of course, those who pirate the game don't have to jump through all of the hoops that the honest customers do...

Rockstar, if you're going to treat paying PC customers like criminals and then give them **** ports then don't bother.
  12. Aug 23, 2013
    Is Grand Theft Auto IV a good game? Yes, absolutely, I have not one bad thing to say about it. Is it a good PC port? Absolutely not, in fact I would call it number one for worst PC port of all time. Rockstar clearly spent most of their time jerking off instead of creating a perfect port of one of the best games of its time. Everything is buggy, and I am running a VERY high-end system, and can just barely max the game on highest resolution. There should be NO reason that a guy running a GTX 760 with 2GB of GDDR5 shouldn't be able to handle this game no sweat. I cannot believe Rockstar would screw its fans and players over like this, and the fact that the game has such high praise from critics, they should all be ashamed for letting this slip through the cracks. As a second complaint, being a guy who has Windows 8, the DRM best known as Suckurom crashes when I even attempt to start the game, a bigger kick in the head when I can completely circumvent it after pirating the game so I could actually play it (thanks a ton, you pricks.) If GTA V ever gets ported to PC I hope Rockstar at least learns from a few of their mistakes. Expand
  13. Jun 10, 2012
    decent console game but what the **** its kind of insulting that they would release a game that performs this poorly, i have a very capable system i7, AMD HD 7770 graphics card, 12 gb's of ram, i can get it to run somewhat smoothly but using only 700 Mb of Vram, i feel completely cheated.
  14. Nov 20, 2012
    This game was a disappointment to me. I really enjoyed GTA III and GTA:San Andreas, but just couldn't get into this one. The characters weren't as interesting to me, and the missions where just not as fun as some of the earlier GTA games. Hopefully the next installment of GTA improves upon this.
  15. Sep 14, 2013
    Let's compare this with the 3 previous installments: GTA 3: the game shines at causing mess in a sandbox environment GTA VC: a very cool protagonist plus a good story in a beautiful city GTA SA: a large map, and missions are of the greatest variety and good humour Then, what do we get in GTA IV? - A very bad PC port with poor optimization shipped several months later after the console launch
    - Stupid GFWL and other social media program leading to serious random crash and corrupted save
    - Annoying social elements ruining the fun of game
    - Very limited variety in missions, gun-firing to shoot someone nearly all the time
    - The worst driving control of the GTA series

Overall, poor optimization, pretending to be a society simulator and the lack of creativity in mission design just ruin all the fun of this game.
  16. Nov 13, 2011
    Gameplay, storyline, and multiplay is incredible. Graphics...well I suppose they COULD be good, but this game was coded SO poorly, it's impossible to tell. With a computer that surpasses the minimum requirements 10-fold, I was still forced to put all of the graphics settings on LOW in order to play with minimal lag. Keep in mind, there was STILL lag, and the low settings made graphics look like utter sh*t. Had Rockstar put more effort in perfecting the coding, this game would have been amazing. Looks to me like another rushed out pile of ... Expand
  17. Aug 23, 2010
    Horribly ported to pc. Good luck getting it to work. I finally got mine to run fine but the thing continuously kicks me because "Your computer is running too slow". Rockstar is obviously trolling the pc community with this mess.
  18. Aug 20, 2010
    this game is simply a piece of **** but it's not just regular **** it's that kind of **** that sticks in your toilet and remains there after flushing it 2000 times! it's by far the worst PC port of a console game i've ever seen.
    after trying the game on 4 different high-end computer, i still haven't been able to finish the first mission, because rockstar's "advanced" (i've put those
    quotation marks on purpuse) game engine is simply the worst looking, most buggy next-gen game engine. horrible textures, missing 3d models, object that pop out when you crash on them with your car, massive memory leaks, and so on. after playing it on my friend's xbox 360 i have to say that the story is the only thing that saves this game from being one of the worst games ever. it's actually a good game from that point of view. but please god tell me, why can i run 4 instances of unreal tournament 3 or crysis on ultra-high specs getting really good performance, but when i run gta4, i NEVER get more than 35 fps, with an averege of **** 20! that's UNPLAYABLE! and what i just don't understand, is why the **** do buildings, trees, and even STREETS pop out of nowhere when i move the camera? WHY??? THE GRAPHICS ARE SO ****TY IT SHULD RUN AT 200 FPS!!!
    and what can i say about the sound effects? try shooting a gun in real life, and tell me if the sound it makes is the same as the one you hear in this crap of a game? i doubt. and what about radio stations? these radios take gigabytes of space on my **** hard drive, and most of the songs suck ass! HOLY **** where the **** was the quality control team when they tried the PC version of gta4? where they takin a **** or did the programmers put some drugs in their coffee, so they couldn't see all the **** on the screen?
    what pisses me off even more is that some IDIOTS who reviewed this game gave it a 10/10! DID ROCKSTAR PAY YOU FOR NOT TRYING THE GAME??? OR WERE YOU JUST DRUNK AS **** WHILE REVIEWING IT?
    in conclusion, after wasting 70 euros (that's like 90 mother**** dollars!) for this miserable piece of **** after downloading and installing almost 1 gb of crap that did nothing but slow down my computer, all i have to say is **** YOU ROCKSTAR for wasting my **** money! die!

In conclusion, ratings:
    -graphics: 4.5 (could've been 6.0 if the game ran at 60 fps minimum)
    -sfx: 4.0
    -ost: 6.0
    -gameplay: n/a
    -story: 8.0

final score: 3/10 (not a **** average!)
  19. Aug 24, 2010
    DO NOT BUY IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF $20 THERE ARE LESS PAINFUL WAYS TO DO IT. I got it off steam installed it and immediately crashed black screen fatal error. Well I wasted some more time I wont get back doing about 20-25 steps off the steam forum(R* doesn't even have their own forum) trying to get it to work. This is completely unacceptable and I wont be buying rockstar games in the future.
  20. Sep 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very poor example of a game coming onto the PC port instead of trying to stabilize the games the game company tries to improve the graphics only to make much worse for people with low-end gaming rig, see I'm a person who owns a high-end rig but it still lags to about 15-20 fps I had to turn off all the textures setting only to find out that the game gets about 23-25 fps

Even then analyzing the story and the gameplay itself is nothing special and that 95% of the mission have nothing to do with the story which is about Niko Bellic trying grab the man who's betrayed his squad in the previous war, the mission feel like a set chores unlike in GTA San Andreas which most of the mission relating to story and trying to get back to the CJ once had in the hood.
    The only other thing about this game that seems like something to praise is the cover-based system and that the only fun thing to do most of the time is to camp at the Bohan safehouse and kill some police officers having six stars but even then you can't do that because this game LAGS to much.
    Lack of variety I see too can't get stronger, ridiculous clothing or getting fat which was the fun part about GTA SA.
    Overall if you have the most powerful gaming rig in the world that us poor can't buy than GTA IV is up your alley but even then so is Crysis.
  21. Jan 26, 2012
    I bought this game on Steam and it won't run--it crashes on startup on our 64-bit Windows 7 machine with a GeForce GTX 470. Steam doesn't give refunds, so all I can do is offer this negative review.
  22. Dec 7, 2011
    Pros: -LOT of effort put into making the environment believable (radio banter, TV shows) -characters you can empathize with Cons: -missions are repetitive -you have to start all the way from the beginning if you fail a mission, and this includes the tedium of driving to get there or frantically running into the street to hail a cab -despite the vast city, there are very few places you can actually interact with, and that interaction is not compelling in the slightest (i.e. playing pool, watching a cabaret show)
    -AWFUL driving controls (it's supposed to be 'realistic,' but all it accomplishes is frustrating the player)
    -boring, badly designed combat system (both melee and shooting), bad cover system

Summary:
    On the whole, I felt like I was playing a drama show. I was getting from one story mission to the other as fast as possible so I could watch the next cutscene. I cared for Niko as a character, it's just that the character deserved to be in a better game.
  23. May 24, 2012
    This port is broken and utterly worthless. Furthermore after you complete the several pages of registration you'll find it would've been easier to pirate the game. Utterly trollish and asinine port.
  24. Apr 3, 2012
    Grand Theft Auto IV represents one of the worst attempts to make even mildly serious game in completely psychedelic franchise. Good job R*, you just ruined GTA.

Buggy PC port is also a serious issue.
  25. Jul 7, 2012
    Poorly optimized console port.
  26. Nov 7, 2012
    My initial opinion of the game was high but I soon began to see it's flaws. First the campaign is pretty good but drags on too long, and go here and kill this type missions get repetitive. The game also holds your hand for too long, with tedious tutorial missions. The main character Niko Bellic is a really cool character, almost too cool to the point where he feels manufactured and not a believable character. The buddy system where friends call you up wanting to do activities is incredibly annoying and unnecessary also they punish you for not doing stupid things with your "friends." Onto technical issues, oh where to begin, the frame rate dips often, texture pop-in and blurry textures are everywhere. The controls are pitiful they are so unresponsive and unnecessary, it's incredibly frustrating. So in my opinion buy the game just not for PC. Expand
  27. Sep 30, 2012
    this game is great in some aspects, such as the story (the most mature history in any gta) the characters, the graphics and A.I. but the port of this game for PC is such a bad port, its like rockstar made it in one day... the poor controls, the awful bugs (specially the one on the **** last mission) you have to do wonders to repair a broken port like this and in top of that the music isn't as good (good thing for the personal radio) and the game isn't that challenging, so if you are a fan of gta try this, if you are not, go and play San Andreas and avoid this one Expand
  28. Nov 21, 2012
    No one wants to take responsibility for this travesty, but the fact is Steam continues to distribute this buggy game despite the fact that it does not work for Windows 7. I have Windows 7, but this game was written for XP or Vista, as a result I cannot even get this game to start up. If you have Windows 7 save yourself money and time and just do not buy this game. I have always been a fan of GTA games, but have never tried to play one on PC before; the experience I have gone through with GTA IV has made me never want to buy Rockstar games on the PC platform ever again. Expand
  29. Dec 16, 2012
    Very good game, but worst port that has ever made to the PC. Bilions of bugs, very bad optimized, so very "heavy" game, and very bad FPS. The game isn't protected very well from cheaters.
  30. Jul 13, 2013
    I got this for £5 on Steam which was brilliant but when I went to play the game it all went wrong because of the stupid Microsoft Live sign in to save game progress, I signed up for it all yet it still doesn't work so every time I log in it still tells me to create an account, F**k you Microsoft for ruining a great game. Just buy it on console.

1. It's the peripheral distractions of both going out with Roman, and meeting your girlfriends, that really make your virtual life so worth living. Although incredibly simplistic, they're oddly touching...One of the finest videogames ever. [Christmas 2008, p.87]
  2. The most grown-up GTA and the best realised, but it doesn't respect the PC much. Enjoy the multiplayer madness if you can. [Christmas 2008, p.96]
  3. A genuinely ground-breaking blockbuster in videogame history. There were moments playing GTA IV that I thought back to my initial experiences with games, and realised exactly how far we've come. There's never been anything quite like GTA IV in the world. That there makes me genuinely happy to be a gamer.