8.9

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1999 Ratings

1. Dec 30, 2011
    The multi-player, mods and all that stuff are freakin' awesome!! And if you have this game on Steam, you'll need to downgrade it to v1 in order to play MTA/SA:MP and mods!
  2. Nov 20, 2011
    I got this game when it came out for PC in 2005. I still play it almost every day. All that I can say is not perfect about this game are the few minor glitches.
  3. May 14, 2012
    A masterpiece. The gameplay has more unique elements than Vice City and the story is hooking from beginning to end. Car chases, bank robberies, debt collections, criminal chase-downs ... all fun scenarios for a GTA fanatic.
  4. Mar 10, 2012
    The Godfather of 3rd person action games of it's time, and sometime after! Huge under every aspect, from size to game-play to variability, plus a story that ties perfectly with all these. It has a fantasy flavor to it (jetpack, green goo, etc), and some role playing elements, like improving some abilities, but they fit just perfect in the game. Above that comes a plethora of mods thatThe Godfather of 3rd person action games of it's time, and sometime after! Huge under every aspect, from size to game-play to variability, plus a story that ties perfectly with all these. It has a fantasy flavor to it (jetpack, green goo, etc), and some role playing elements, like improving some abilities, but they fit just perfect in the game. Above that comes a plethora of mods that expand on the replayability of the game. This game is a must have for any serious gamer! Expand
  5. Apr 27, 2014
    Awesome, and I don't think anyone will disagree. Everything is so amazingly cool. I didn't know before that being stupid between-whiles is that much enjoying.
  6. Jan 24, 2013
    Awesome game probably the best in the Grand Theft Auto series. I like the theme of LA in '92 being a gangster, the story is pretty good a little hard to follow though. The characters are great, especially your homies, I thought all the characters were pretty unique. The controls are difficult, as usual in Rockstar games on PC, they could really use an improvement. The gameworld isAwesome game probably the best in the Grand Theft Auto series. I like the theme of LA in '92 being a gangster, the story is pretty good a little hard to follow though. The characters are great, especially your homies, I thought all the characters were pretty unique. The controls are difficult, as usual in Rockstar games on PC, they could really use an improvement. The gameworld is awesome, spectacular ( GTA 4 didn't even beat this gameworld) so much to explore so much diversity, countryside, LA, San Francisco, Las Vegas and the desert. I could pick this game up today and discover something new. Awesome game but i would recommend the Xbox 360 version for better controls and better graphics and draw distance. Expand
  7. Aug 14, 2012
    A huge success, and a flawless sandbox game. It impressed me of It's outstanding story, addictive gameplay and kick-ass characters. San Andreas It's a special game, that I will remind it for years. But, in this PC version the controls can be problematic. Still, fresh as always. 95 out of 100
  8. May 9, 2017
    This is the golden standard for Grand Theft Auto games. The greatest of them all and the one true benchmark for what makes an open-world adventure endlessly fun. Every GTA ever since, has felt lacking and inadequate compared to this. The "Hot Coffee" scandal drove Hillary Clinton nutts on this game and that is the mark of a true gaming legend.
  9. Jul 16, 2013
    Easily the best game in the series, and I *love* the GTA series. Except Vice City. Anyway, writing's great, soundtrack's great, the world's great, the graphics are.... good for 2005, gameplay's fun, if you have any interest in open world action games, you owe it to yourself to play this.
  10. Sep 19, 2012
    I think this game is good because it has dirty features and cool stuff to play on this game. the first ever game to hit 3000 people to buy this game I used to have a ps2 and had this game.when I sold my ps2 and my other ps2 games I found out that it came to steam and i happy so I played it and its like playing on the ps2 again.
  11. Jan 1, 2014
    I played GTA: SA and I would certainly say-the second best on my list of favorite games. An interesting main character with whom you spend a pleasant time (really). I think one of the main reasons for the success of the game has just been CJ. And of course, open world. No game previously did not give players the freedom to explore the world. And that's why I like to go back to the game.I played GTA: SA and I would certainly say-the second best on my list of favorite games. An interesting main character with whom you spend a pleasant time (really). I think one of the main reasons for the success of the game has just been CJ. And of course, open world. No game previously did not give players the freedom to explore the world. And that's why I like to go back to the game. And although the game is not graphically presents some heights the music and the rest is just DIVINE. The best part is that now the game is available on Android so I'll be able to take me wherever I want!!! Expand
  12. Jan 6, 2014
    Praticamente revolucionou a industria dos games.
  13. Dec 5, 2012
    A whole new decade, a whole new game. GTA San Andreas, introduces new characters, new setting, new story, but the most noticeable change is the role-playing features. You can personalise your character by changing his hairstyle, his clothes, even his weight and looks. One hell of a game.
  14. Dec 15, 2012
    Great game. It's an old classic game that really set the bar of sandbox games. It is how every sandbox game should be, with thousands of opportunities. You can buy houses, take a train, play around with a bike at the playground, claim turfs, take a plane or a helicopter, get fat, gain muscle, get skills in various sort of things. and lots of cheat codes for those who are interested.Great game. It's an old classic game that really set the bar of sandbox games. It is how every sandbox game should be, with thousands of opportunities. You can buy houses, take a train, play around with a bike at the playground, claim turfs, take a plane or a helicopter, get fat, gain muscle, get skills in various sort of things. and lots of cheat codes for those who are interested. Graphic wise this was the best when the game was released, but even if you're playing the game today (like I am) It still looks okay when you put your settings right. The storyline is amazing, and you really make a connection with the main character Carl Johnson. The storyline is also well designed geographically, it pretty much shows you the entire map the way they designed it. The modification support is great for this game, there are 2 multiplayer mods that let's you play online, if you like racing, doing stunts or RP. You can also design your own map and make interiors and make scripts on your own if that's what you want. Or maybe you just want to change the skin of the Sultan with a BMW M3? or maybe you're into trucks and want a Mercedes truck? The possibilities are endless in any way, it's just how any sandbox game should be, and how any game should be modification wise.
    The soundtrack is great too, with real life songs from the late 80's to the early 90's, it doesn't matter if you like Hip Hop, Rock or Pop and so on... it's all there! The PC version is not just a cheap port, I should know, I play the game everyday online!
    The vision is great and so is the controls.
    You should turn steering planes with your mouse off, but you can easily do that in the options with no trouble.
    I've never encountered any bugs on the PC version. I've finished the game twice on PC and once on PS2, and I only had some few bugs on the PS2 version.
    I love the theme of LA in 1992 and it's just well done!
  15. Mar 23, 2013
    This is one of the best games i have ever played. The graphics are outstanding (for its date of creation) and i just cant get over the storyline. I can only imagine GTA 5.
  16. Mar 25, 2013
    This game is absolutely legendary just like it's developers at Rockstar Games. It is best played on PC as the controls will be much easier to use than the one's off a console. PC version also allows mods and hours of fun online, I hope Rockstar brings the new GTA V onto PC as soon as possible.
  17. Apr 14, 2013
    There are so few cons win this game, it's hard to complain. There are some parts that are unclear as to how you complete them and it's difficult to play on a laptop. The only major downer is, once you've completed it, it gets boring. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  18. Apr 26, 2013
    the game is awesome and instant classic. i feel like control scheme is sometimes clunky but it was on consoles and pc. the story is great cj is a boss. this reminds of failing of western civilization
  19. Jun 26, 2013
    Este es un gran juego,con unos graficos buenos,buena trama y historia,y un gran juego que se merece un 10, un juego inolvidable.y para mi es uno de los mejores juegos y el mejor juego de la saga GRAND THEFT AUTO.
  20. Sep 21, 2013
    One of THE BEST GAME I ever played.
    In this game we can do almost EVERYTHING.
    The sound IS AWESOME
    CJ is memorable character
    Best game in GTA series
  21. Aug 5, 2013
    Liked it better than GTA IV, it's not quite a ten, but it's a bit more than a nine. Really fun, recommended to anybody who hasn't (or has) played it before.
  22. Sep 11, 2016
    Another great GTA game, that is classic today. Gameplay great as usual, but has some little weaknesses in details: dates with girlfriends and gang wars are boring and grinding. The main story is very long in comparison to Vice City, overall the game is much bigger than VC. but bigger doesnt mean better, i prefer VC, especially because of the atmosphere there and the music. Dont forget toAnother great GTA game, that is classic today. Gameplay great as usual, but has some little weaknesses in details: dates with girlfriends and gang wars are boring and grinding. The main story is very long in comparison to Vice City, overall the game is much bigger than VC. but bigger doesnt mean better, i prefer VC, especially because of the atmosphere there and the music. Dont forget to install some mods to improve the graphics Expand
  23. Jun 24, 2013
    A really awesome single player experience. For me the thing that rocks is it's MULTIPLAYER. It's so awesome to shoot people or drive-by them. Even the fun servers with the flying, ├╝ber-boosted cars or the realistic RP servers. I really recommend to play this game. And after you have played the whipped cream, the single player you should taste the chocolate cake under it.
  24. Jul 15, 2013
    This game left in me for most of my memories of games played. I am grateful to Rockstar's such a great game console 3 is released.
    The missions are imaginative and enjoyable, and there is no greater experience in bicycle racing down the streets of Los Santos. The game is a lot of vehicles, characters. The side missions fun time with a weary day. It is no coincidence that several times I played through this game.
    The only negative thing I can bring up the helicopter, or even 1-2 vehicle control.
  25. Aug 3, 2013
    the game is great the graphics are good. the gameplay is fun, the sound is good and also with mods its even funner the story is fun. it's fun play it please if you can't afford it oh well
  26. Jan 12, 2015
    This game deserves way more of a critic score and a user score than what it has now.

The game itself is perfect, and this is why I still love GTA.

The story is fun, the game is fun and the cheats are amazing and wonderful and all the good things combined.

27. Sep 24, 2013
    The first game I played seriously.
    And also my favorite.
    There are so many positives that the game has, if I quoting all spend a good time, but I will mention a few:
    * Great soundtrack
    * Great dubbing
    * Great graphics for the time (even more for being open-world)
    * Funny
    * Great story
    The only downside in my opinion would be some bugs, but it never disturb my gameplay.
  28. May 30, 2015
    What can I say? It is definitely the best sandbox game of its kind ever made. It was a milestone not to be reached again. Great and deep story about gang war, perseverance and police corruption based on the 1992 LA riots. Great map design, which make you feel it being even larger than V's map (in reality it is even smaller than half of V's map), because of its rich content and landscape.What can I say? It is definitely the best sandbox game of its kind ever made. It was a milestone not to be reached again. Great and deep story about gang war, perseverance and police corruption based on the 1992 LA riots. Great map design, which make you feel it being even larger than V's map (in reality it is even smaller than half of V's map), because of its rich content and landscape. If you want to explore everything in the game you have to spend at least 400 hours.
    This game has perfect vision (GTA is about serious matter but presented in a funny and humorous way), perfect setting (cheap LA ghetto set in 1992, gangsters, graffiti everywhere) and perfect execution (story, map design, gameplay, content...). Rockstar lost its vision after this game, going for graphics, cutscenes and shallow stories instead, which is NOT GTA in my opinion. Every time I play a new GTA game I feel disappointed and keep going back to SA.
  29. Dec 15, 2013
    this game is tons of fun the only flaw i can think of is the character models. other than that, it is a great game that i recommend to anyone who likes free roming
  30. Dec 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the greatest video games ever created in first decade of the 21st century. Its originality and creativity makes it stand out from the rest of the Grand Theft Auto series and the open-world gaming genre. The gameplay is endlessly fun, there is tons of missions spanning across a 3 beautifully designed cities and an entire state. The controls are easy to use, there are very few bugs and glitches to worry about so you can enjoy this game without hesitation. Expand

1. Kudos to Rockstar for actually including gamepad support for the PC!!
  2. It will surely take up hundreds of hours to even the most casual of gamers.
  3. It is the perfect crime game.