5.6

1. May 30, 2013
    Horribly disappointing arcade "racing" game dumbed down to the maximum possible level. Lowest common denominator gaming at its worst, and a real let-down from Codemasters.

The main problem is the handling. I understand this is an arcade game, but this should have been labelled as a drifting game rather than a racing game. Cars handle exactly the same as one another, so there's little point selecting a different vehicle, and the fastest way around any corner is always a 4-wheel drift, defying physics and common sense at any opportunity.

I have played a great deal of racing games, including arcade games like Blur, Mario Kart and the Need for Speed series, as well as more sim-based titles like the RACE series, Forza, Gran Turismo and iRacing. I am familiar with different handling models, from arcade through to simulation, and the different characteristics and properties of the various car configurations, power levels, and drivetrains. GRID spectacularly misses all of these and applies the exact same "drift" model to every car, with small tweaks to acceleration and top speed.

All of the aforementioned games are a great deal of fun for a variety of reasons, but GRID 2 seems to deliberately attempt to suck the fun out of the game at every turn. The AI drivers are absolutely moronic (but that's nothing new for a racing game) and regularly take corners impossibly fast, or idiotically slowly. The rubber banding is woefully obvious, and promotes no-skill driving. You can race as hard as you like in second place and watch the car in front stay in front, then ease off, relax into a few corners, and not see the car pull away. Conversely, despite picking your way through the entire pack, you can make your way into first place, only to have the second place driver somehow find some extra speed and keep up with you.

Collision physics is also way off. Cars regularly stick to one another like glue, and only become detached when colliding with the track edges. Damage appears all over the car regardless of the place that made contact with the obstacle.

Infuriatingly (although the first GRID also had this problem), you always start near the back of the grid, meaning that on the tighter circuits, it is a mad scramble to bash people out of the way to get to the front, because if you attempt to race cleanly, the race is over before you can get there.

Live routes, the system by which the course changes randomly each time you play it, is an absolute disaster and only contributes to the misery of playing the game. There is no minimap in this mode, and no possibility to learn the circuit, so you are just guessing going into every corner. The best racing drivers (in the real world) are consistent and precise and spend a great deal of time getting to know each and every corner. When it's impossible to know what the corner is going to be like, the parallels to the real world disappear, as does the immersion, and this, again, might as well be a drift simulator.

The graphics are very pretty indeed and the game does run smoothly, although far too much time has been spent on the environments, since no driver is going to be looking at those while playing. Time could have been better spent on the damage modelling instead here. The environmental sounds and the engine noises are impressive, but the announcer is highly irritating. The first time I took to a particular track, I was told I needed to improve my sector 1 times, because I was slow, despite it being my first time ever in that sector and just come off the grid.

Gone are the large fields of cars from the original GRID, as is the co-driver system, and any concept of money. Gone is the freedom to choose an event from a decent selection; instead the game forces you down prescribed choices in order to enhance the story, which should not be the game's focus, yet manages to dominate regardless.

All of the above is replaced by the insipid, vile "dudebroism" that insists the most important things in the world are gaining fans, 4-wheel sliding into every corner, and "rad" performances. Almost every in-game sentence is followed by "man" or "bro", which is exactly the kind of thing I imagine might appeal to teenagers, but is a long shot from the Codemasters of old, who developed genuinely excellent games like TOCA Race Driver and Colin McRae Rally.

So, GRID 2 has been relegated to the same tragic fate as the DIRT series, where the emphasis is on doing handbrake turns in a supermarket car park in a stolen Vauxhall Nova, rather than the precise, cool -headed and skill-based mechanics of the earlier years.

Having read all of this, if you are after a simple arcade drift racing game that is easy to pick up and play and you're not bothered about having any depth or learning any actual racing skills, this title might just be perfect for you. For anybody on the simulation side of the racing fence, or anywhere near, this is a terrible buy, so wait for the Steam sale.
  2. May 29, 2013
    Sorry Codemasters, but you are now only the sade of what you where before. People who like arcade racing games have better choices, like Burnout, Flatout or (sigh...) Need for Speed series. People who like simulation racing games will be very disappointed with Grid 2 and will keep playing Rfactor, the SimBin variety, Toca 3 or even (sigh...) the first Grid.

So, this game is for...

So, this game is for... nobody. Oh, no, I better say this: this game is just for those impatient people who pre-ordered it and won't admit they have wasted their money.
  3. May 30, 2013
    The physics feel like this game was ported from a phone, not a console. I loved Race Driver Grid but they removed the Race and the Driver throughout the game.
    The damage is a complete joke. There is just a traction control sign when your car gets severely damaged. The cars have nothing to adjust. A gt3 race car without brake bias and full traction control.
    The cars are rendered good.

The cars are rendered good. Exteriors are the only thing you can see of course, but that wouldn't have ruined the game for me if it was rewarding to play. I don't mind that some opponents drive brashly, but I don't like getting penalized for corner cutting as a result.

The game overall is the worst driving game I have purchased in numerous years. I own the whole codie collection and after they replaced Colin with Ken Block I should have known that they were going for a "different market".

I actually preferred the simulation feel in need for speed the run. It's honestly that disappointing.

Testers notes: G27 Wheel auto sequential mostly H-pattern (which is mappable). Played career until Europe, Played online until I got dnq'd because a person drove into me in a hairpin and I caused an accident.
  4. May 31, 2013
    My review is hardly any different to any one else's, they've apparently downgraded the gameplay to 'super casual' and done away with what they did brilliantly in the first GRID.
  5. May 28, 2013
    Very sad day. I have played two full nights now and this really feels like a step down from my much beloved original GRID. Sure the graphics are better and the interface is slightly more modern, but the game seems to be made to appeal to a younger console generation of gamers who think drifting is the way to get a car around a track quickly. You realize you might be playing the wrong gameVery sad day. I have played two full nights now and this really feels like a step down from my much beloved original GRID. Sure the graphics are better and the interface is slightly more modern, but the game seems to be made to appeal to a younger console generation of gamers who think drifting is the way to get a car around a track quickly. You realize you might be playing the wrong game when you get an achievement for "T3XT M3SSAG1NG I5 GR8"…are you kidding me?

The game gets 3 stars because I am still playing it after being so disappointed, so there is some fun to be had, but frankly I do well in races by bashing my way around the track…forget finding the perfect apex for a corner.

In addition, there is immediately $23.96 worth of DLC that it seems you must buy to get all the courses/cars. $45 was too much for this game. I already feel ripped off because they put the GRID label on a game that is more like Need For Speed, no way I am spending more money on this disaster.
  6. May 30, 2013
    Absolutely terrible game. Grid 1 is a far superior product. Graphics are the only thing worth while in this game, the rest is garbage. Save yourself some money and wait for a good sale for around $5 at tops because that's all its worth. Go back to playing Grid 1 or any other racing game, because they are definitely better than this.
  7. May 28, 2013
    Great game if you love rubberbanding AI, unrealistic casual driving physics, social media, drifting around every corner in any car, permanent traction control+abs, no in-car camera, no team management, and zero challenge.
  8. May 29, 2013
    I expected a better GRID. A game where the took in account the critics they got on the Original game. This is now a no-brain racing arcade game for kids.
  9. May 28, 2013
    This should have been titled GRID 2: Ultimate Drift. Despite the car you choose, its class or rating, you will have to master drifting through corners. The handling of the vehicles alone make the game unplayable. If you think that you are going to brake hard, powerslide/accelerate through a corner, think again. 9 times out of 10, you will lose control and most likely spin out. UnlessThis should have been titled GRID 2: Ultimate Drift. Despite the car you choose, its class or rating, you will have to master drifting through corners. The handling of the vehicles alone make the game unplayable. If you think that you are going to brake hard, powerslide/accelerate through a corner, think again. 9 times out of 10, you will lose control and most likely spin out. Unless Codemasters patches the controls/physics, GRID 2 will remain a disaster. No amount of cars, tracks, or DLC will change that. Expand
  10. May 28, 2013
    I was expecting a good game with a mature driving system but instead I got a watered down arcade racer covered up as an immersive simulator.
    Fans are your currency, cars are unlocked randomly rather than bought, no upgrades at all or tuning, all you can hope to do is change the livery which also leaves you with very few options.
    Old, boring and tiring
    Old, boring and tiring drift-if-even-slightly-touched-the-brakes with what could have been a nice driving model but ultimately collapsed under the console demanded control.

Graphics are quite good and sound is decent as well but this alone cannot save this game.
    GRID 1 wasn't that great to begin with and this feels more like a downgrade if anything.
    Not worth the time and money.
  11. May 29, 2013
    I was a fan of GRID 1 but this game doesn't even earn the right to use the GRID name. It's a boring, watered down, mindless console racer. That is best avoided. The day one DLC is indication of Codemasters priorities as well as the removal of the in car view. The handling is bad handling, less cars, a small amount of fake tracks, stupid story etc. Don't buy.
  12. May 29, 2013
    I dont know what you are when you like this game, but you seriously should get yourself checked out if you do so. So let's start;
    1. The game is no challenge whatsoever, even the hardest level is too easy if you know a bit how to drive and know a thing or two about racing.
    2. The AI is too easy and stupid, the racing lines they drive are incorrect and their braking points are so early that you are sure to slam into the back of your opponents.
    3. The races are boring.
    4. The tracks are boring.
    5. You are 'racing' your car for a reason so stupid.
    6. You dont have to drive for anything, everything is handed for you.
    7. The career mode is even shorter than it was in Showdown and before.
    8. This LiveRoutes system has to be the most retarded thing anyone could think of. It isnt a challenge, it is an annoyance.
    9. You can only customise your car with a few ugly, dumb looking patterns.
    10. €20,- of Day 1 DLC, seriously?
    11. It is nothing more than a DiRT2/3/Showdown only with less content.

I really looked forward to this and was hopeful that it was a fresh breath for Codies, but nope. This is probably the worst racing game ever, it is just a little more fun than doing nothing. I wanted to give it a 3, but the €20,- of Day 1 DLC Adds another black mark to this game.

I really feel sorry for the people that actually enjoy this game...
  13. May 29, 2013
    This game is terrible compared to the first one.

No money to buy cars you unlock them with challenges. BORING....... All about social media career about youtube fans and so on. What happened to the real racing simulator thru classes? Wish they went more down line of the original than this. But one thing i do hate is the terrible arcade racer fill, Car physics are terrible even
    This game is terrible compared to the first one.

No money to buy cars you unlock them with challenges. BORING.......

All about social media career about youtube fans and so on.

What happened to the real racing simulator thru classes? Wish they went more down line of the original than this. But one thing i do hate is the terrible arcade racer fill, Car physics are terrible even for an arcade game. AI are terrible they just pit you most of the time and when you try to pit them you spin out of control. Its like you are racing against Tanks.

For me i will be going back to the original frid as this is just a poor arcade racer with fancy graphics.

If you like silly arcade racers that you can drift round every corner no matter what this is for you.

I would avoid this game if you are a pc gamer its set up for a more casual console gamer.
  14. Aug 24, 2013
    With the expectation Grid 2 would give an even better experience than the first Grid, I was totally disappointed. The aspects that made Grid 1 the great game it is were taken out of Grid 2. Handling is now overly focussed on drifting, damage model is taken out, overview of which races are to come is taken out. For me this has been a mistake in buying this game. After Grid 1 I was excitedWith the expectation Grid 2 would give an even better experience than the first Grid, I was totally disappointed. The aspects that made Grid 1 the great game it is were taken out of Grid 2. Handling is now overly focussed on drifting, damage model is taken out, overview of which races are to come is taken out. For me this has been a mistake in buying this game. After Grid 1 I was excited having read some great reviews on Grid 2, but after playing I must say it's gives a bad taste in my mouth. If you have played Grid 1 don't play Grid 2. If you haven't played Grid 1 buy Grid 1 instead of Grid 2 and save yourself some money. Expand
  15. Feb 17, 2014
    When I played the demo for the first game, I knew I was buying that game. Since then I dumped over 100 hours into it. Grid2 is completely and utterly boring. I put about 3 hours into the game and I immediately uninstalled. The AI wasn't challenging, you no longer buy cars, the main menu takes atrociously long to load (and it reloads after every race). The game just became linear. GraphicsWhen I played the demo for the first game, I knew I was buying that game. Since then I dumped over 100 hours into it. Grid2 is completely and utterly boring. I put about 3 hours into the game and I immediately uninstalled. The AI wasn't challenging, you no longer buy cars, the main menu takes atrociously long to load (and it reloads after every race). The game just became linear. Graphics are still good, but even those fell short of my expectations because they're identical to the graphics in the first game.

Finally, I spent a lot of money on pre-ordering this game and that didn't get me access to all of the cars (sectioned out into various expensive DLC). Code masters has become EA.
  16. Jul 29, 2013
    One of the worst games Codemasters has ever released. It really lacks imagination. Cars and races are dull and utterly simple. This game is no match for the Dirt franchise.
  17. Mar 9, 2014
    A disgrace for the grid franchise and Codemaster name, it's the worst game you released in the last 10 years, what happened to the great driving model in grid 1? you chose a drift 2 win model ,and it isn't as great as other drift 2 win games, the car lineup is great, graphics are great, so are the sounds but the gameplay is a miss, so i can't even give it a 5, an abysmall release from onceA disgrace for the grid franchise and Codemaster name, it's the worst game you released in the last 10 years, what happened to the great driving model in grid 1? you chose a drift 2 win model ,and it isn't as great as other drift 2 win games, the car lineup is great, graphics are great, so are the sounds but the gameplay is a miss, so i can't even give it a 5, an abysmall release from once my favourite publisher. Expand
  18. Jul 16, 2014
    When I found out about a new grid game coming I was really excited! When I started to play I was really dissapointed : ( The game is very boring. I do not reccomend buying this game. I hope the next Grid is better!
  19. Jun 14, 2013
    I would have rated it higher if it weren't supposed to be the sequel to an actually good racing game. No money, no upgrading, no buying cars of your choice, no choosing what types of races to enter, it's all bad. The "liveroute" races? Awful. Take a normal race, but do it on a track that you'll have no chance to practice on, where the route changes mid race, and then take away the trackI would have rated it higher if it weren't supposed to be the sequel to an actually good racing game. No money, no upgrading, no buying cars of your choice, no choosing what types of races to enter, it's all bad. The "liveroute" races? Awful. Take a normal race, but do it on a track that you'll have no chance to practice on, where the route changes mid race, and then take away the track map so you're racing blind. Who thought that would be fun? If, at the very least, the track-side signage gave some indication of the sharpness or angle of the upcoming turn it could have worked. The racing is so much to the arcade side it's silly. Such a departure from the first game, which had so much depth. Forget about upgrading your car with performance parts, the game doesn't even award money because you'd have no use for it. You don't choose your cars to purchase, you just race and they're given to you. No choices whatsoever. Really bummed, loved the original, it was one of the best racing games on PC, but this is just a cheap arcade-ish racer. I want to race laps around a course with competitive AI, but most of the time you're doing endurance races (just racing til time expires), knockout races (racing til time expires), and these silly overtaking events that have you passing trucks on the race course to earn points (oh and you have to come in first too). Not worth your time if you liked Grid 1 because it's completely dissimilar. Expand
  20. Jul 13, 2013
    Firstly, almost all games are bought with DLCs, and GRID 2 sells DLC as well as. I just checked its Steam page out, and i saw, there are really many DLCs that is not really worth to buy! Because they sell a car for 7 dollars! What is that? When i saw DLCs i thought they included some kind of EXTRA things like new racing strips or something like that. Really DISAPPOINTING GAME for me...
  21. Mar 14, 2014
    Worst racing game I bought in a long time. They took everything that was good in grid and put the opposite of that in this game.

You can take corners full speed, the driving is to arcade it looks like the piece of sh*t EA is putting out year after year with NFS.

Yet another franchise butchered thanks codebasterds.
  22. Jun 17, 2013
    No View in Grid 2??!! Are you completely nuts codemasters?? What the??? Can't believe this... waited so many years for the sequel to GRID which in my mind was simply the best racing game ever! And Why was it the best racing game ever?...well because it had realistic in car view which made the game streets ahead of any other arcade racing game. Most new racing games have followed GRIDsNo View in Grid 2??!! Are you completely nuts codemasters?? What the??? Can't believe this... waited so many years for the sequel to GRID which in my mind was simply the best racing game ever! And Why was it the best racing game ever?...well because it had realistic in car view which made the game streets ahead of any other arcade racing game. Most new racing games have followed GRIDs example and implemented incar views because of how great it was..

And what have you done Codemasters...? I tell you what you have done... You have ruined it... completely

I shall not be buying this for PC now.
  23. Jul 15, 2013
    If you have Grid 1, do not spend any money on this piece of There is nothing new in this game, but everything fun has been taken away. If you do not have Grid 1 and try to play some CM racing game, you have a better change on F1, Dirt 1,2 and Grid 1 compare to this.

I am not sure how much they paid the game critics to reviews it to make it 8.0, those so called "critics", I think, never played any decent game on PC before~~~~ Maybe they only play console for their entire life and think it looks nice and that is good enough..........

The thing I hate the most is that they even try to find excuses to not include the view. How the hell they can claim that we are not able to run it if they include the CPV?!!!! It is a PC release on steam, we have real computers that has real graphic card in it!! How do you call it unable to run??!! I have tri-monitor with 1080P each. I set the game level to ultra for everything. I even put my video card TDP limited to 78%. I can still get 120 FPS out of it. How the you can not even fit a in car camera in this game since most of people only play it at 60 FPS with one screen!!!!!!!

Just because you saved all the money to buy off critics on Metacritic does not make your game good!!!! This game just turn your biggest fan into biggest hater. Hope you are happy with my money CM cause this is the last penny you will see in my pocket.
  24. Jun 3, 2013
    If you are a PC Gamer, stay away from this title. SO many issues with graphics, gameplay and slowdown in singleplayer and Hack central in multiplayer. There is no anticheat system in place so people are racing around at 3 and a half times the speed of light. Codemasters have taken their last cash from me. If you are not going to support a PC version 100%, DONT BOTHER with one.
  25. Jun 2, 2013
    GRID 2. This game symbolizes everything that is wrong with gaming to me personally. So many bad design decisions. This just proves to me the game industry isn't about what you know, IT'S WHO YOU KNOW. These people make some of the most god awful design decisions. The game industry is plagued by this developer inbreeding. Live Routes? Who the f!@# want's a live route in a god d@#$ racingGRID 2. This game symbolizes everything that is wrong with gaming to me personally. So many bad design decisions. This just proves to me the game industry isn't about what you know, IT'S WHO YOU KNOW. These people make some of the most god awful design decisions. The game industry is plagued by this developer inbreeding. Live Routes? Who the f!@# want's a live route in a god d@#$ racing game? You want to learn a damn track. So you can nail every corner.

This is Need For Speed with a GRID skin. What a joke Codemasters. I will never buy another one of your piece of s!@# games. EVERY one of Codemasters piece of games tries to infuse some type of fake pop culture elements into them. These elements come off as insulting. Granted, GRID 2 is not the worst offender of this, that title belongs to DIRT 3.

No view, no mirrors, just arcade s@#$. It's over the top arcade. What physics? Oh the damage modeling...What the f@#$ did I buy? Is this GRID 2 or Burnout?

The online is a nightmare, granted hey if people want to race and do nothing but wreck each other and can have fun. Hey good for them...This isn't my idea of fun on a racing game. None of the online modes cater to anyone looking for a clean driving experience.

Online Unlocks by level...What a damn joke..Hey here is a better idea. How about you group drivers based on an actual skill level AND WHEN YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY A CAR...YOU F@#$%@! BUY IT...But no it's locked to level and Level 30's and Level 8's get grouped together. No real meaning behind that level besides "HEY LOOK AT THIS TIME SINK". The single player is crap, no reason to play it it's ultra dumb WSR league and fake pop culture BS, it would've made a little more sense to give people a reason to play through the campaign. If for example you could unlock stuff for online. Leaderboards for friends list only...Well gee not everyone has 30 friends to race with...Who made this call? HOLY F!@# what is wrong with Codemasters? Oh it's that developer inbreeding thing. Duh.

I'm being a little harsh but this entire past generation of gaming has been a complete storm of s@#$ with hail balls of frozen piss. Every developer and publisher breaks their product down to a numbers game. Add GRID 2 to this soulless pumped out for the masses S@#$. This game has no soul in it. No passion, nothing.

I haven't even really touched everything that is wrong with this game...I can't hate it enough.

With that said Need for Speed and Burnout fans will love this game. ENJOY it guys. You have WON. The days of good racing games are over.

F@#$ YOU CODEMASTERS.
  26. May 31, 2013
    Poor. Very very poor. I loved Colin McRae Rally, also CMR 2.0 but this is terrible. The driving physics feels 10 years old at best, and the graphics are nothing to get excited about. I am very disappointed. I really feel like I am playing a bad version of an early 2000's game, which after playing great games like Forza 3, 4, Horizon and iRacing makes this nothing more but a huge kick inPoor. Very very poor. I loved Colin McRae Rally, also CMR 2.0 but this is terrible. The driving physics feels 10 years old at best, and the graphics are nothing to get excited about. I am very disappointed. I really feel like I am playing a bad version of an early 2000's game, which after playing great games like Forza 3, 4, Horizon and iRacing makes this nothing more but a huge kick in the face.

If you want sim, go for iRacing. If you want a good arcade racer, just buy an Xbox and Forza Horizon. Even at that expense the Xbox and Horizon combo is better value for money compared to this garbage. I really wish I had taken note of the reviews and not thrown my money away.
  27. Jun 10, 2013
    GRID is my favourite racing game of this generation, foolishly pre-ordered GRID 2 and now I just feel sad. Sad, disappointed and used. Shame on you Codemasters, shame on you.
  28. Jul 19, 2013
    Quite possibly the worst racing game ever made. Based on reviews I was expecting somewhat arcadey physics, but this takes it to a whole new level and makes "Need for Speed" feel like a professional F1 simulator.

You pretty much just plant your foot on the accelerator and vaguely steer. Come in to a corner to quick? No problem! Your car can pull up from 200mph in about 30 meters. But who needs to brake anyway just drift your way around ithe corner. Failed that? You'll just bounce off the railing and keep going.

*** you can win this game by simply planting your foot on the accelerator and not touching the steering wheel ***

There's no redeeming qualities. No upgrade path you're simply a car and a track and told to go by an annoying voiceover.

Don't make the same mistake I did avoid this game. There's no fun to be had.

This is a low point for racing games, and a perfect example of what's wrong with the Genre today.
  29. Nov 30, 2013
    Looks pretty, that is about it. The game at the start is real easy, but steps over challenging to frustrating. It ramps up the fake difficulty to insane heights, because they can't be bothered to actually work on the AI.

You always start at the back of the pack. ALWAYS. The AI will rubber band up to you and lick your bumper to the finish if you get in front. The AI is more concerned with blocking you then beating the guy ahead of them. If you don't get into first quickly, it is impossible, just restart the race and try again, and again, and again...
  30. Dec 3, 2013
    i love the original..
    but I would not of got this if I knew that it didn't have a in car view!
    Especially for widescreen gaming with Nvidia surround such a shame but not everyone has multi monitor setups to use the in car view I guess :( Also what's with all the over the top smoke when you go around corners too, this is not a serious driving game it's more of a silly arcade game more
    i love the original..
    but I would not of got this if I knew that it didn't have a in car view!
    Especially for widescreen gaming with Nvidia surround
    Also what's with all the over the top smoke when you go around corners too, this is not a serious driving game it's more of a silly arcade game more for a bit of a laugh with silly over the top crashing into other cars to win, not really for the serious racers.

1. Jul 8, 2013
    Grid 2 is an accomplished and visually strong racer let down only by a bafflingly lame Career mode narrative.
  2. Jul 2, 2013
    Every situation in GRID 2 feels the same, and there is a reason. Having collected more than 50 cars in my virtual garage, I can’t point out my favorite ones – they all behave the same way, without any distinctive quirks of ‘character’. And locations that repeat ad nauseum only make this feeling worse.
  3. Jun 18, 2013
    GRID 2 is an action-packed and intense experience, where the cars behave like in a Hollywood movie. It is an entertaining arcade racer, but there are a few flaws. The AI is weak, the number of tracks should be higher and the game is too simplified in a few areas.