5.6

1. May 30, 2013
    Horribly disappointing arcade "racing" game dumbed down to the maximum possible level. Lowest common denominator gaming at its worst, and a real let-down from Codemasters.

The main problem is the handling. I understand this is an arcade game, but this should have been labelled as a drifting game rather than a racing game. Cars handle exactly the same as one another, so there's little
    point selecting a different vehicle, and the fastest way around any corner is always a 4-wheel drift, defying physics and common sense at any opportunity.

I have played a great deal of racing games, including arcade games like Blur, Mario Kart and the Need for Speed series, as well as more sim-based titles like the RACE series, Forza, Gran Turismo and iRacing. I am familiar with different handling models, from arcade through to simulation, and the different characteristics and properties of the various car configurations, power levels, and drivetrains. GRID spectacularly misses all of these and applies the exact same "drift" model to every car, with small tweaks to acceleration and top speed.

All of the aforementioned games are a great deal of fun for a variety of reasons, but GRID 2 seems to deliberately attempt to suck the fun out of the game at every turn. The AI drivers are absolutely moronic (but that's nothing new for a racing game) and regularly take corners impossibly fast, or idiotically slowly. The rubber banding is woefully obvious, and promotes no-skill driving. You can race as hard as you like in second place and watch the car in front stay in front, then ease off, relax into a few corners, and not see the car pull away. Conversely, despite picking your way through the entire pack, you can make your way into first place, only to have the second place driver somehow find some extra speed and keep up with you.

Collision physics is also way off. Cars regularly stick to one another like glue, and only become detached when colliding with the track edges. Damage appears all over the car regardless of the place that made contact with the obstacle.

Infuriatingly (although the first GRID also had this problem), you always start near the back of the grid, meaning that on the tighter circuits, it is a mad scramble to bash people out of the way to get to the front, because if you attempt to race cleanly, the race is over before you can get there.

Live routes, the system by which the course changes randomly each time you play it, is an absolute disaster and only contributes to the misery of playing the game. There is no minimap in this mode, and no possibility to learn the circuit, so you are just guessing going into every corner. The best racing drivers (in the real world) are consistent and precise and spend a great deal of time getting to know each and every corner. When it's impossible to know what the corner is going to be like, the parallels to the real world disappear, as does the immersion, and this, again, might as well be a drift simulator.

The graphics are very pretty indeed and the game does run smoothly, although far too much time has been spent on the environments, since no driver is going to be looking at those while playing. Time could have been better spent on the damage modelling instead here. The environmental sounds and the engine noises are impressive, but the announcer is highly irritating. The first time I took to a particular track, I was told I needed to improve my sector 1 times, because I was slow, despite it being my first time ever in that sector and just come off the grid.

Gone are the large fields of cars from the original GRID, as is the co-driver system, and any concept of money. Gone is the freedom to choose an event from a decent selection; instead the game forces you down prescribed choices in order to enhance the story, which should not be the game's focus, yet manages to dominate regardless.

All of the above is replaced by the insipid, vile "dudebroism" that insists the most important things in the world are gaining fans, 4-wheel sliding into every corner, and "rad" performances. Almost every in-game sentence is followed by "man" or "bro", which is exactly the kind of thing I imagine might appeal to teenagers, but is a long shot from the Codemasters of old, who developed genuinely excellent games like TOCA Race Driver and Colin McRae Rally.

So, GRID 2 has been relegated to the same tragic fate as the DIRT series, where the emphasis is on doing handbrake turns in a supermarket car park in a stolen Vauxhall Nova, rather than the precise, cool -headed and skill-based mechanics of the earlier years.

Having read all of this, if you are after a simple arcade drift racing game that is easy to pick up and play and you're not bothered about having any depth or learning any actual racing skills, this title might just be perfect for you. For anybody on the simulation side of the racing fence, or anywhere near, this is a terrible buy, so wait for the Steam sale.
  2. May 28, 2013
    Great game if you love rubberbanding AI, unrealistic casual driving physics, social media, drifting around every corner in any car, permanent traction control+abs, no in-car camera, no team management, and zero challenge.
  3. May 29, 2013
    Sorry Codemasters, but you are now only the sade of what you where before. People who like arcade racing games have better choices, like Burnout, Flatout or (sigh...) Need for Speed series. People who like simulation racing games will be very disappointed with Grid 2 and will keep playing Rfactor, the SimBin variety, Toca 3 or even (sigh...) the first Grid.

So, this game is for...
    nobody. Oh, no, I better say this: this game is just for those impatient people who pre-ordered it and won't admit they have wasted their money. Expand
  4. May 28, 2013
    I was expecting a good game with a mature driving system but instead I got a watered down arcade racer covered up as an immersive simulator.
    Fans are your currency, cars are unlocked randomly rather than bought, no upgrades at all or tuning, all you can hope to do is change the livery which also leaves you with very few options.
    Old, boring and tiring
    drift-if-even-slightly-touched-the-brakes with what could have been a nice driving model but ultimately collapsed under the console demanded control.

Graphics are quite good and sound is decent as well but this alone cannot save this game.
    GRID 1 wasn't that great to begin with and this feels more like a downgrade if anything.
    Not worth the time and money.
  5. May 31, 2013
    Sadly this game is mediocre at best. First GRID was best racening game, so good that I was waiting for Grid2 and passed first Grid game in anticipation last month. It was great. Now, in short my problems with Grid 2: - it feels less real, both in terms of racing meta world and racing itself - there is no money, you can't buy cars, you get them from sponsors trough events which feels weird
    - instead of money you have a fan base, and you do not manage anything about your carrier, feels like you are some attention whore who is spin by managers
    - weirdly Grid 2 looks worse then first Grid in terms of graphics o_0 especially replays and flashback key features of the game were watered down somehow, especially flashback ;(

All in all Grid Grid 2
    I am even doubting that same team with same passions was doing this game, it feels completely different, as if different studio was asked to do it
  6. May 30, 2013
    The physics feel like this game was ported from a phone, not a console. I loved Race Driver Grid but they removed the Race and the Driver throughout the game.
    The damage is a complete joke. There is just a traction control sign when your car gets severely damaged. The cars have nothing to adjust. A gt3 race car without brake bias and full traction control.

The cars are rendered good.
    Exteriors are the only thing you can see of course, but that wouldn't have ruined the game for me if it was rewarding to play. I don't mind that some opponents drive brashly, but I don't like getting penalized for corner cutting as a result.

The game overall is the worst driving game I have purchased in numerous years. I own the whole codie collection and after they replaced Colin with Ken Block I should have known that they were going for a "different market".

I actually preferred the simulation feel in need for speed the run. It's honestly that disappointing.

Testers notes: G27 Wheel auto sequential mostly H-pattern (which is mappable). Played career until Europe, Played online until I got dnq'd because a person drove into me in a hairpin and I caused an accident.
  7. May 28, 2013
    This should have been titled GRID 2: Ultimate Drift. Despite the car you choose, its class or rating, you will have to master drifting through corners. The handling of the vehicles alone make the game unplayable. If you think that you are going to brake hard, powerslide/accelerate through a corner, think again. 9 times out of 10, you will lose control and most likely spin out. Unless Codemasters patches the controls/physics, GRID 2 will remain a disaster. No amount of cars, tracks, or DLC will change that. Expand
  8. May 28, 2013
    Very sad day. I have played two full nights now and this really feels like a step down from my much beloved original GRID. Sure the graphics are better and the interface is slightly more modern, but the game seems to be made to appeal to a younger console generation of gamers who think drifting is the way to get a car around a track quickly. You realize you might be playing the wrong game when you get an achievement for "T3XT M3SSAG1NG I5 GR8"…are you kidding me?

The game gets 3 stars because I am still playing it after being so disappointed, so there is some fun to be had, but frankly I do well in races by bashing my way around the track…forget finding the perfect apex for a corner.

In addition, there is immediately $23.96 worth of DLC that it seems you must buy to get all the courses/cars. $45 was too much for this game. I already feel ripped off because they put the GRID label on a game that is more like Need For Speed, no way I am spending more money on this disaster.
  9. May 28, 2013
    This game is not good. What car actually handles like this? If you are going to make an arcade style racer then do that. This in between non committal approach is simply boring. Really sad that I paid $44 for this.
  10. May 29, 2013
    GRID 2 manages to inject a nice dose of realistic physics within an arcade style racing game. The result is a game that simulator purists will surely frown upon.... (lack of view, no tuning) but everyone else will enjoy. The locations and cars look absolutely stunning. The single player is meaty and the multiplayer is absolutely worth playing.
  11. May 29, 2013
    I expected a better GRID. A game where the took in account the critics they got on the Original game. This is now a no-brain racing arcade game for kids.
  12. May 30, 2013
    Absolutely terrible game. Grid 1 is a far superior product. Graphics are the only thing worth while in this game, the rest is garbage. Save yourself some money and wait for a good sale for around $5 at tops because that's all its worth. Go back to playing Grid 1 or any other racing game, because they are definitely better than this.
  13. May 29, 2013
    I was a fan of GRID 1 but this game doesn't even earn the right to use the GRID name. It's a boring, watered down, mindless console racer. That is best avoided. The day one DLC is indication of Codemasters priorities as well as the removal of the in car view. The handling is bad handling, less cars, a small amount of fake tracks, stupid story etc. Don't buy.
  14. May 29, 2013
    I dont know what you are when you like this game, but you seriously should get yourself checked out if you do so. So let's start;
    1. The game is no challenge whatsoever, even the hardest level is too easy if you know a bit how to drive and know a thing or two about racing.
    2. The AI is too easy and stupid, the racing lines they drive are incorrect and their braking points are so early
    that you are sure to slam into the back of your opponents.
    3. The races are boring.
    4. The tracks are boring.
    5. You are 'racing' your car for a reason so stupid.
    6. You dont have to drive for anything, everything is handed for you.
    7. The career mode is even shorter than it was in Showdown and before.
    8. This LiveRoutes system has to be the most retarded thing anyone could think of. It isnt a challenge, it is an annoyance.
    9. You can only customise your car with a few ugly, dumb looking patterns.
    10. €20,- of Day 1 DLC, seriously?
    11. It is nothing more than a DiRT2/3/Showdown only with less content.

I really looked forward to this and was hopeful that it was a fresh breath for Codies, but nope. This is probably the worst racing game ever, it is just a little more fun than doing nothing. I wanted to give it a 3, but the €20,- of Day 1 DLC Adds another black mark to this game.

I really feel sorry for the people that actually enjoy this game...
  15. May 31, 2013
    My review is hardly any different to any one else's, they've apparently downgraded the gameplay to 'super casual' and done away with what they did brilliantly in the first GRID.
  16. May 28, 2013
    Great mix of challenge but not sim, online and off, sticks to what made Grid 1 great but put more money in and really polished. Always online mic and youtube upload fails, but somehow that seems minor and likely to be patched. The racings solid, the careers solid, the tracks are solid with some new modes like dynamic changing path keep it fresh and fun.
  17. Jun 3, 2013
    Beautifully optimized, fun stylish racer, it comes as advertised with aggressive AI and balls to the wall action, some races are a little easy and customization beyond look n feel would have been nice, but then this is an arcade racer and not a simulation.

I love the ability to rewind and avoid those little mistakes as I do not have the time to master complex driving mechanics and
    advanced physics engine. Expand
  18. May 29, 2013
    This game is terrible compared to the first one. No money to buy cars you unlock them with challenges. BORING....... All about social media career about youtube fans and so on. What happened to the real racing simulator thru classes? Wish they went more down line of the original than this. But one thing i do hate is the terrible arcade racer fill, Car physics are terrible even for an arcade game. AI are terrible they just pit you most of the time and when you try to pit them you spin out of control. Its like you are racing against Tanks.

For me i will be going back to the original frid as this is just a poor arcade racer with fancy graphics.

If you like silly arcade racers that you can drift round every corner no matter what this is for you.

I would avoid this game if you are a pc gamer its set up for a more casual console gamer.
  19. May 29, 2013
    I don't know what happened to the PC community, have a look at the PS3 users. Anyhow a great follow-up to GRID! Again it is a arcade racer with a simulation seasoning (nothing unexpected there as the low reviews might suggest). Handling and graphics are top-notch. Career mode is as fun as ever. However no helmet-cam, no tuning and a bit 2 much drifting. But nothing which is not patchable. Good job codemasters, GRID 2 is very enjoyable Expand
  20. May 29, 2013
    I just played GRID 2 and it totally sucked. Why? Well first off there's no camera for the driver's seat, no manual clutch, unrealistic handling, poor AI, low field of view (FOV) and an overall bad console-port that lags on release with current high-end generation hardware it's a poorly made arcade racer at best.
  21. May 29, 2013
    Le jeu aurait pu être bien mais il contient des bugs, des contrôles vraiment affreux et des DLC la sortie.

Cela me dégoute!

____

The game could have been great but the bugs, aweful controls and day 1 DLC just disgust me.
  22. May 30, 2013
    This has got to be one of the worst racing games made. Its actually a downgrade from the original GRID, don't expect anything good out of this game. The physics are a joke, all cars feel like the tires are glued to the road and you can fly around corners at a very unrealistic speed. A.I is very dull, has no replay value. Don't waste your money, Stick to console for racing games. This one is a complete joke. 1/10 Expand
  23. May 31, 2013
    I am pretty disappointed by this game. I was expecting a much more immerse grid with updated graphics, more cars and lots of awesome. Instead, I was given an arcade drift-style game with a super small car selection and random fan-base, that means almost nothing to me in terms of game play because it does not really matter for unlocking cars so much. Very unrealistic in my honest opinion. I suppose I will continue to play the original grid, to what I think, is perhaps one of the best car/road-track simulator games out there for PC.

On the plus side, I think the multiplayer is in-fact better than the single player games, but not by much. This time you are given money to buy cars and upgrades with, once again, limited options and crappy cars to choose from.

The Good:
    Graphics

The Ok:
    Multiplayer
    Some Mapstyles

The bad:
    Lack of cars
    Arcade style game
    Poor driving physics
    "Social" style
    Other things I cant think of at the moment.
  24. May 28, 2013
    Thank you for creating this amazing game. I'm loving it, the cars are incredible, the gameplay is perfect and the tracks are very well done! and what about the "Live Routes"? A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
  25. May 29, 2013
    When i realized the game got rid of in car view I lost all interest; good graphics though. This would have been such a better game if they kept the same formula.
  26. Jun 2, 2013
    GRID 2. This game symbolizes everything that is wrong with gaming to me personally. So many bad design decisions. This just proves to me the game industry isn't about what you know, IT'S WHO YOU KNOW. These people make some of the most god awful design decisions. The game industry is plagued by this developer inbreeding. Live Routes? Who the f!@# want's a live route in a god d@#$ racing game? You want to learn a damn track. So you can nail every corner.

This is Need For Speed with a GRID skin. What a joke Codemasters. I will never buy another one of your piece of s!@# games. EVERY one of Codemasters piece of games tries to infuse some type of fake pop culture elements into them. These elements come off as insulting. Granted, GRID 2 is not the worst offender of this, that title belongs to DIRT 3.

No view, no mirrors, just arcade s@#$. It's over the top arcade. What physics? Oh the damage modeling...What the f@#$ did I buy? Is this GRID 2 or Burnout?

The online is a nightmare, granted hey if people want to race and do nothing but wreck each other and can have fun. Hey good for them...This isn't my idea of fun on a racing game. None of the online modes cater to anyone looking for a clean driving experience.

Online Unlocks by level...What a damn joke..Hey here is a better idea. How about you group drivers based on an actual skill level AND WHEN YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY A CAR...YOU F@#$%@! BUY IT...But no it's locked to level and Level 30's and Level 8's get grouped together. No real meaning behind that level besides "HEY LOOK AT THIS TIME SINK". The single player is crap, no reason to play it it's ultra dumb WSR league and fake pop culture BS, it would've made a little more sense to give people a reason to play through the campaign. If for example you could unlock stuff for online. Leaderboards for friends list only...Well gee not everyone has 30 friends to race with...Who made this call? HOLY F!@# what is wrong with Codemasters? Oh it's that developer inbreeding thing. Duh.

I'm being a little harsh but this entire past generation of gaming has been a complete storm of s@#$ with hail balls of frozen piss. Every developer and publisher breaks their product down to a numbers game. Add GRID 2 to this soulless pumped out for the masses S@#$. This game has no soul in it. No passion, nothing.

I haven't even really touched everything that is wrong with this game...I can't hate it enough.

With that said Need for Speed and Burnout fans will love this game. ENJOY it guys. You have WON. The days of good racing games are over.

F@#$ YOU CODEMASTERS.
  27. May 30, 2013
    Well there is no first person camera but I think is a very good game.. Also I never use that in-car cam.. I really prefer see the cars, the models, colors, details, etc... soo I do not need that cam :P

With the previous trailers I had no hope that this was a good game but I was wrong.

Grid has never been a simulator, it was always arcade.... and while I was customizing my cars, the
    tires, vinyl, logos reminded me the good times with the ORIGINAL Most Wanted... this game is entertaining me a lot and if you add your favorite soudtrack and 3D vision is even better.

Is a good game for me...

And if someone from Codemasters read this, IN LATIN AMERICA WE HATE THE ACCENT OF SPAIN. add an option to change the text language subtitles separately. Thanks.

Saludos
  28. May 31, 2013
    Codemasters are one of those devs who are cheating on Metacritic(here) to boost their game's overall user score with fake one-review-and-rating-history accounts. That makes the company even more pathetic than the fact that they were unable to decide which crowd they want to please in the very end arcade kids or sim people.

If GRID1 was almost a perfect combination of arcade and
    simulator features and had great balanced, you can forget that in GRID2, the infamous sequel. It's overly simplified, without proper physics, camera, has terrible car interiors and... is terrible overall, except visuals (they go old very fast, as the next racing games appear and tech moves forward).

Vote with your wallet and don't buy GRID2. This will probably help Codemasters learn form their mistakes.
  29. Jun 1, 2013
    Save your money and look elsewhere, gameplay is poor, cars are undriveable, Grid 1 was a classic, this is going in the bin, can I have a refund please? How come all the critics love it, are they on the payroll? Also I don't expect a great review score to suggest a high score but needs significant patches, get it fixed!
  30. May 31, 2013
    I didn't expect a sim but a cross between sim and arcade like GRID. Man, was I disappointed. I have spent the last few days logging massive hours into this game and its nothing but wonky AI and drift, drift, drift. I am done pre-ordering games and I expected so much more than this. The best thing it has going for it is pretty graphics but that will never make up for lousy game play. I won't even get started on the social media concept of leveling with fans, ugh. Expand

1. Jul 8, 2013
    Grid 2 is an accomplished and visually strong racer let down only by a bafflingly lame Career mode narrative.
  2. Jul 2, 2013
    Every situation in GRID 2 feels the same, and there is a reason. Having collected more than 50 cars in my virtual garage, I can’t point out my favorite ones – they all behave the same way, without any distinctive quirks of ‘character’. And locations that repeat ad nauseum only make this feeling worse.
  3. Jun 18, 2013
    GRID 2 is an action-packed and intense experience, where the cars behave like in a Hollywood movie. It is an entertaining arcade racer, but there are a few flaws. The AI is weak, the number of tracks should be higher and the game is too simplified in a few areas.