7.8

1. Oct 22, 2010
    Every RED rated review for GRID suffers from the same problem: Their own bad driving. The physics are great, The AI tries to finesse their turning when in close proximity to you or others, giving a small amount of intelligence to them. They don't want to be hit! People say there needs to be a 'speed limit' so one doesn't go flying into walls? These cars are equipped with both standardEvery RED rated review for GRID suffers from the same problem: Their own bad driving. The physics are great, The AI tries to finesse their turning when in close proximity to you or others, giving a small amount of intelligence to them. They don't want to be hit! People say there needs to be a 'speed limit' so one doesn't go flying into walls? These cars are equipped with both standard brakes and an emergency brake, and the ability to NOT floor the gas at all times. Try it. Once you ease up on the throttle a little and practice your braking, it gets easy to dominate the simple circuit, but fret not, raising the difficulty will provide plenty of new challenges. This is the street version of DiRT 2, and when people say it should be "like dirt", they should take note that it is by the same publisher and pretty much a clone of DiRT2's engine with a fresh set of textures and no truck/buggy racing. What this game gives up in diversity of vehicle class, it makes up for with beautiful, fun tracks, and rewarding, precision driving. Expand
  2. Aug 7, 2011
    I am a big fan of Codies, especially after having played their rally games. The original Dirt was an absolute masterpiece and outshines later titles like Dirt 2. The Collin McRae series before Dirt was also a lot of fun. I bought this game with high expectations, but what I have experienced is quite discouraging.

To begin with, there is no qualifying mode - so you end up wherever the

To begin with, there is no qualifying mode - so you end up wherever the game feels fit to place you. This means that you have to work your way up to first position from last (which can be as far back as 20th position for touring car races) - all in a span of 2 measly laps. This requires you to drive in a very aggressive manner to score points... let alone a victory. I'd accept this if Grid were an arcade racing title, but judging by the reactions of the competitor's AI, the game tries to punish you if you push too hard. If you blast inside an apex so as to overtake, expect the car next to you to plow directly into your flank. This is rarely recoverable, at least if your competitor hits you with their nose - however, if they hit you side on, you will definitely lose all steering and end up spun out or in a wall. Collisions generally result in your car being thrown off the track, whilst the car you collided with suffers absolutely no consequence.

The game encourages you to turn up the difficulty level, so you generally feel compelled to play in 'Extreme'. At this difficulty, you notice that competitors in the same class (and even the same car) have much more grip in an apex than you do. I find that I reach the absolute maximum of understeer whilst the car in front of me (in many cases, my team-mate, who's supposedly in the exact same car) continues to accelerate and pull away through the apex. The only way to catch up is to cheat and cut through the apex. At the limit, even decelerating won't correct understeer - you are required to brake in order to get back in line. This poses another problem - cars behind you will dart past and maintain their line at much higher speeds than what you will find possible.

Overall, I'm very glad that I didn't buy this game sooner. I was contemplating purchasing it at the start of the year, where it was priced in the $30+ bracket. Just manages to be worth the $6 dollars I spent on it now.
  3. Apr 9, 2011
    This is probably the last game by Codemasters I will ever have bought. What a load of c**p. Anyone who even mentions the 'excellent driving realism' of this toy-game is too young to have a drivers license. Not only is this game not about racing at all, it isn't even fun as an arcade-racer. Absolutely heartless and loveless product, built for the spoiled and shallow kids with ADD. Bah.
    And
    And why is it so hard to retool a button on my G25 to something else?
  4. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    I loved this game as a console game, and because of that I decided to buy it for PC. What I failed to realize is that if you don't feel like throwing away another twenty-five or thirty dollars on a Gamepad or an Xbox controller, this game is nearly impossible to play. Irony at it's finest: physics so well designed that it makes the game impossible to play. Or maybe it's just a way toI loved this game as a console game, and because of that I decided to buy it for PC. What I failed to realize is that if you don't feel like throwing away another twenty-five or thirty dollars on a Gamepad or an Xbox controller, this game is nearly impossible to play. Irony at it's finest: physics so well designed that it makes the game impossible to play. Or maybe it's just a way to make people buy overpriced controllers. Also, it's a total graphics leech. My processor is on par with the recommendations, and yet I still have to play it in 1024x768. Then to add to that, the official multiplayer servers were shut down and the single player isn't the greatest. So, if you want a racing game that doesn't need a controller and you don't have a quad-core processor, just buy NFS. Expand
  5. Aug 1, 2011
    This game has so much potential but falls way short. This is the most ridiculous racing game ever. It is almost impossible to keep your car on the track and it doesn't help that the AI drivers just drive over you if you are in their way. They only good thing about this game is the graphics. I really wanted to like this game but it just makes me want to throw my controller through the monitor.
  6. Jul 14, 2012
    The graphics are outstanding for a game developed in 2008, but that's all GRID has to offer. The game looks great, but the controls feels wrong, the physics are only worth a laugh and when you touch the grass your car will nearly explode.
  7. Sep 15, 2010
    Graphics are really nice and so is damage but thats about as good as this game gets. Racing is mediocre. No qualifying so you normally start toward the back. No tuning of any kind. Le Mans races are not even worth compleating if you make just one mistake, because you have no chance of catching up before the chequred flag is waved. Drift races are nigh on impossible on street circuits.Graphics are really nice and so is damage but thats about as good as this game gets. Racing is mediocre. No qualifying so you normally start toward the back. No tuning of any kind. Le Mans races are not even worth compleating if you make just one mistake, because you have no chance of catching up before the chequred flag is waved. Drift races are nigh on impossible on street circuits. AI and handling doesn't even pretend to be realistic, this is an arcade racer through and through, so if you have a steering wheel heres a tip, don't bother getting it out for this game cos its more trouble than its worth, stick with keyboard its far easier. This is not a terrible game so long as you don't expect too much, its more aimed at console gamers where they don't know any better. Expand
  8. Dec 2, 2011
    First, this game is best played with an Xbox controller, so PC purists should be warned that it doesn't work as well with a keyboard. In my opinion, this is true of most of Codemasters' racing games, and racing games in general. But if you do have a controller and an OK pc, you'll be treated to a really finely tuned experience with good graphics, though, as it's a 2008 game, they're aFirst, this game is best played with an Xbox controller, so PC purists should be warned that it doesn't work as well with a keyboard. In my opinion, this is true of most of Codemasters' racing games, and racing games in general. But if you do have a controller and an OK pc, you'll be treated to a really finely tuned experience with good graphics, though, as it's a 2008 game, they're a little blurry and not up to Dirt 2/3 standards. The game itself is all about the race, like they said in promos. The handling of every car feels different, and the strength of the game comes from the subtlety of the handling, not a stable of cars. In fact, you don't get a stable of cars. But that turns out to be a good thing, because it forces you to focus on mastering the controls, cornering etc, all for 4+ classes of cars. Muscle and Club GT couldn't feel more different, and you can't get that kind of experience outside of this game on PC, so here's hoping Codies sees fit to come out with a sequel in the next few years. Codies, the silent PC users who love racing games thank you for sticking with our console, because without you our platform's options for racing would be pitiful. Expand
  9. Apr 5, 2012
    GRID
    GRID
    Average User Score: 7.6 User Score 4 Terrible controls and tedious track design ruin what could have been a classic racer. It tries to be a serious simulation but fails because of the poor handling of the cars. The 'feel' is just all wrong and the tracks are a chore rather than fun to play. It's frustrating because the graphics are superb and it has many elements that could have made it an excellent game. I don't know what the playtesters were on because the game's problems should have been picked up on and corrected. It's a game that makes you want to take a sledgehammer to your PC and it's a shame because it could have been up there with the best of the genre. Need For Speed Shift is a much better bet for this type of racer and I would advise going for that instead.â
  10. Oct 2, 2011
    Graphics are awesome and the array of cars available is impressive. Many different styles of racing to satisfy just about anyone. I don't play enough racing games to know how realistic the physics are, but it's definitely challenging. I'm used to playing the Need for Speed arcade style driving games where you spend most of the time with your "thumb on the gas". Took a while just to startGraphics are awesome and the array of cars available is impressive. Many different styles of racing to satisfy just about anyone. I don't play enough racing games to know how realistic the physics are, but it's definitely challenging. I'm used to playing the Need for Speed arcade style driving games where you spend most of the time with your "thumb on the gas". Took a while just to start winning on Normal, can't wait to try higher difficulties. I agree the AI is a bit wonky but I'm hoping they "smarten up" on higher difficulty levels. Expect lots of crashes and jams at the beginning of a race. Expand
  11. Oct 27, 2011
    Shortly: strange physics, frustrating AI, no possibility of learning a track without having to struggle with opponents. Codemasters have ruined a decent idea - it seems like developers weren't sure what they wanted to make. What we have is a mix of racing sim and arcade, two totally different types of racing games. Racing without any assists ends up with trying to keep the car on theShortly: strange physics, frustrating AI, no possibility of learning a track without having to struggle with opponents. Codemasters have ruined a decent idea - it seems like developers weren't sure what they wanted to make. What we have is a mix of racing sim and arcade, two totally different types of racing games. Racing without any assists ends up with trying to keep the car on the track, enabling them causes weird behaviour of it. It might be enjoyable after some time, but only if you are a very patient person.

If you want to find a game styled like this, I'd recommend NFS Shift instead of GRID.
  12. Mar 9, 2012
    I would REALLY like to give this game a 7.5. It's pretty fun, but falls short on a few expectations - the handling can be just plain silly at times. It's impossible to do drift-mode games on a keyboard, and open-wheel is extremely challenging due to how easily you can spin out with the 100% ON or 100% OFF input of a keyboard. Sure, I know I *SHOULD* be playing this on a racing wheel inI would REALLY like to give this game a 7.5. It's pretty fun, but falls short on a few expectations - the handling can be just plain silly at times. It's impossible to do drift-mode games on a keyboard, and open-wheel is extremely challenging due to how easily you can spin out with the 100% ON or 100% OFF input of a keyboard. Sure, I know I *SHOULD* be playing this on a racing wheel in the opinion of many. . . But I wish it would at least work on the keyboard. Graphics are fancy, wish there was a better variety of cars & sounds. The game is very buggy on Le Mans with extreme lag despite having a very nice system .. (GTX 480, i7 920 @ 3.6GHZ, 12GB 1600MHZ RAM). I just play the "race day" (arcade mode) for quick action and gave up on the storyline after hitting the challenges presenting by playing with a keyboard. Expand
  13. Jan 4, 2012
    To keep it short: Cars have no weight whatsoever, which doesn't allow you to "feel" the power under your butt (turned all driving assists off and pro-mode on). If you lose it's because you didn't dare to go through that sharp left corner with 150 mp/h.
  14. Mar 11, 2012
    Pretty fun racing game. It was also the game that got me into racing games. Arcade goodness, with slick menus, great visuals and fun gameplay. Get this game!
  15. Apr 6, 2012
    Great graphics and very good car 3D models. Better to play it with a Steering Wheel, if you use the keyboard to play with a Racing Lamborguini, you'll spin off because you can't take control of the car with the gas pedal to the metal. I have played this with the Logitech Driving force pro Steering wheel and it feels awesome: you crash your car and you can wreck the ingame steering wheel,Great graphics and very good car 3D models. Better to play it with a Steering Wheel, if you use the keyboard to play with a Racing Lamborguini, you'll spin off because you can't take control of the car with the gas pedal to the metal. I have played this with the Logitech Driving force pro Steering wheel and it feels awesome: you crash your car and you can wreck the ingame steering wheel, so you'll feel a tickle in the force feedback of your steering wheel. The most weird thing is that is easier to drive Dirt 2 that GRID with the steering wheel. This is one of the best racing games I have played on PC and it supports to 8 players in LAN mode. The Le Mans 24 hous race is amazing (day/night transition). It would be better if you can tune as detailed as the Gran Turismo Series. Expand
  16. Oct 31, 2012
    My opinion is, that is are most epic arcade racing game ever. Everything here is good: graphics, physics, controls and other stuff. A lot of cars, a lot of game types. Awesome!
    This is the best racing game ever!
    P.S. No one of the NFS's is even no close to this game by gameplay and joy.
  17. Jun 19, 2012
    I will try to set it simply. I downloaded Grid just before 2 days . Since 2008 i didnt play a race game so fantastic!!!!!
    I cant find words to describe what Grid is all about, but believe me.
    Dont spend any money on ANY other race game , except from Codemasters games. They know how to deliver great stuff. Lately i bought Sift 2 , my God awfull game , no adrelanine , no speed . I'm a 36
    I cant find words to describe what Grid is all about, but believe me.
    Lately i bought Sift 2 , my God awfull game , no adrelanine , no speed .
    I'm a 36 old gamer , i'm playing games since i was 5 and believe me this game deserves to be on top 5 of all race games of all times.
    Ofcource is not simulation, but who really cares ?? Try to beat it !!! Is so difficult , so fun to play , i adore it . This is what i'm gonna play untill Grid 2 .-
    ....for "simulation".......F1 2011 or Rfactor2 or any other game....

FOR FUN AND ADRENALINE ONLY GRID !!!
  18. Jul 31, 2012
    A bit arcadey in its handling but once you grasp the handling, this will knock your socks off with multiplayer over LAN. Some of THE most fun is have had with multiplayer racing!
  19. Aug 15, 2012
    I used to love playing GRID with my keyboard, the drifting and racing was cool, with plenty of different cars and race types to enjoy. But then I tried it with a gamepad, and racing wheel... I noticed that there's a permanent driving assist that keeps you on the racing line, making it very hard to make mistakes. With a pad or wheel this is frustrating because the road is inconsistent, youI used to love playing GRID with my keyboard, the drifting and racing was cool, with plenty of different cars and race types to enjoy. But then I tried it with a gamepad, and racing wheel... I noticed that there's a permanent driving assist that keeps you on the racing line, making it very hard to make mistakes. With a pad or wheel this is frustrating because the road is inconsistent, you get used to a certain amount of required steering, but as soon as you deviate from the racing line everything changes. It doesn't matter what car or track you're on then, the permanent assists make this as arcade as you can get. Don't mistake this for a simulator, everything about it is fake, even AI crashes are scripted, if you're behind then they slow down, if you're ahead then they speed up. GRID is still some fun, but head to proper simulators if you want a fair challenge. Expand
  20. bot
    Jun 10, 2013
    This game disappointed me completely, I did not expect such a codemasters, pure arcade, regular arcade racing, style menu terribly pure single, compared with the first part of a complete failure of the Grid, which is very poorly cleaned view from the I do not argue that graphics bad she even very pretty, but for this arcade give money? No really sorry I'm not gonna pay for trash, veryThis game disappointed me completely, I did not expect such a codemasters, pure arcade, regular arcade racing, style menu terribly pure single, compared with the first part of a complete failure of the Grid, which is very poorly cleaned view from the I do not argue that graphics bad she even very pretty, but for this arcade give money? No really sorry I'm not gonna pay for trash, very few options to control, the only thing good here is the graphics so nothing more) Expand
  21. Aug 27, 2012
    I've been playing racing games for the past 12 years with a keyboard only, I've never used a steering wheel at all. GRID is not hard to drive with a keyboard. GRID's physic and simulation levels are only about 100% higher than the classic game NFS Most Wanted. But not as high as Evolution GT, as Evolution GT is about twice as hard to drive than this game. FlatOut is even harder to driveI've been playing racing games for the past 12 years with a keyboard only, I've never used a steering wheel at all. GRID is not hard to drive with a keyboard. GRID's physic and simulation levels are only about 100% higher than the classic game NFS Most Wanted. But not as high as Evolution GT, as Evolution GT is about twice as hard to drive than this game. FlatOut is even harder to drive than GRID. Difficulty to drive levels: NFS Most Wanted is level 1, GRID is level 2, FlatOut is level 3, Evolution GT is level 4. The down thing is that you may need to pay extra to get the cheat code for NO CAR DAMAGE, that's why some think this game is hard with the car damages ON. Play this game for may be for 5 years untill you can tell where you're on the race track without the mini map in the HUD? The down part is - there is no notros or turbo that allow you 'rocket' your sportcar ahead for a short 3 seconds. Expand
  22. Oct 31, 2011
    Definitely better than SHIFT. Playing it with a xbox 360 gamepad, the steering is smooth but sometimes unresponsive. Too much physical contact during racing. All races feel like demolition car races.
  23. May 18, 2013
    Bit late for a review, not exactly a review. I just want to congratulate Codemasters for making this wonderful game, even from 2008 (today 2013), after 5 long years this game still pwns butt. I always hated those extreme arcadish racing games, but Grid, i just can't stop playing it. Graphics are still gorgeous, after all these years, u sure can compare them to newest triple-A games whichBit late for a review, not exactly a review. I just want to congratulate Codemasters for making this wonderful game, even from 2008 (today 2013), after 5 long years this game still pwns butt. I always hated those extreme arcadish racing games, but Grid, i just can't stop playing it. Graphics are still gorgeous, after all these years, u sure can compare them to newest triple-A games which aren't half that fun and good looking (with some few exceptions ofc) I'm a hardcore SIM racing player, i love 07 Race (expansions), rFactor (mods), RBR (mods)... and my top favorite arcade racing game besides Mario Kart on SNES is Grid!
    This game gets a solid 10/10 from me, because of all the fun things u can do with it... What i absolute adore is the drifting challenge, i'm addicted to it..
    The only let down is the A.I being really aggressive and it doesn't offer much support for steering wheels, just use a gamepad and you're ready to go Waiting for Grid 2 release which are weeks from now, i already did my pre-order... Always support what you enjoy!
  24. Aug 30, 2012
    Can't save the replays. Crashes soon or later during a race or in the view replay, either poor CPU or PSU, it really pushing the minimum system requirement to the limit! Crashed mostly during view replay. It made most of other racing games look more slower after playing this game. Very easy to win the race by the hardest difficulty (extreme) if spawn in the front, more fun if spawn in theCan't save the replays. Crashes soon or later during a race or in the view replay, either poor CPU or PSU, it really pushing the minimum system requirement to the limit! Crashed mostly during view replay. It made most of other racing games look more slower after playing this game. Very easy to win the race by the hardest difficulty (extreme) if spawn in the front, more fun if spawn in the middle of other race cars. Can't believe so many AI bots spin out of control in the hardest difficulty (they're suppose to be professionals!), it looks like a scene from the old movie Days of Thunders. I wonder what the flashback is, I don't even use that to win the races. The instant replay works, but how to take over the driving when it's on? Only if they can let the player adjust the level of per driving assistance than having them either on or off. 60% arcade ... Expand
  25. Nov 14, 2014
    The high praise for this game isn't surprising, to be frank, the game is absolutely gorgeous- especially for a title from 2008. The cars look great, the tracks look great, it has appropriate sound effects and a soundtrack that didn't annoy me either. However, upon actually attempting to drive in a race I was greeted by some of the most touchy finicky handling ever. Every turn wasThe high praise for this game isn't surprising, to be frank, the game is absolutely gorgeous- especially for a title from 2008. The cars look great, the tracks look great, it has appropriate sound effects and a soundtrack that didn't annoy me either. However, upon actually attempting to drive in a race I was greeted by some of the most touchy finicky handling ever. Every turn was literally the shorter word equivalent of a female dog. I thought perhaps something had to be wrong with my controller, but as time went on I started to realize this wasn't just the derby cars, or race cars, or any car in particular and it certainly wasn't the dead zones on my Logitech controller. All the cars handle like your constantly driving over butter. Its unmistakably hilarious and nauseating as far as a racing game is concerned. It literally breaks the game for me, an avid Need for Speed series veteran. What can I say? I like arcade racers, I wasn't ever really that interested in uber-realistic simulation driving since that already exists in actual reality. Its shockingly bad how poor the driving and handling is in the game. I do realize that using the "brakes" on "sharp turns" is a good idea, however, the A.I. opponents receive absolutely no speed penalty on turns a.k.a. their broken and cheat because Codemasters didn't do a good job programming them. It isn't really surprising that some people could actually convince themselves this is a fun experience, but as far as I'm concerned its a great looking title that's immensely flawed. Even worse is its achilles' heel is essentially the one thing the game was supposed to be competent at: DRIVING. Expand
  26. Dec 2, 2013
    Too easy to win, has done 16 laps with use of keyboard only, not a single flashback used, car damage ON, spawn as the last car in the race 12th car; BMW 320SI in the race, YOKOHAMA, DOCKS ROUTE B2 AND THEY WANT TO CHARGE YOU FOR CHEAT CODES! They can't make those AI cars go any faster, I can't see where they're in the rear mirror! Only the drift racing part in this game using theToo easy to win, has done 16 laps with use of keyboard only, not a single flashback used, car damage ON, spawn as the last car in the race 12th car; BMW 320SI in the race, YOKOHAMA, DOCKS ROUTE B2 AND THEY WANT TO CHARGE YOU FOR CHEAT CODES! They can't make those AI cars go any faster, I can't see where they're in the rear mirror! Only the drift racing part in this game using the keyboard to drive gives it a little more fun! Don't worry, that's why there is a choice of 50 laps and not 60 laps. Expand
  27. Dec 26, 2011
    Grid is difficult. Exceptionally difficult. Even for a seasoned racing gamer such as myself. Needless to say, you will need some time to adjust to the challenge. Motion blurring is set to default, and I am still unsure what makes the game look better or more realistic. I have personally turned it off. GRID's general visual appearance seems to be hazy to begin with (from dust, smoke, etc),Grid is difficult. Exceptionally difficult. Even for a seasoned racing gamer such as myself. Needless to say, you will need some time to adjust to the challenge. Motion blurring is set to default, and I am still unsure what makes the game look better or more realistic. I have personally turned it off. GRID's general visual appearance seems to be hazy to begin with (from dust, smoke, etc), and this cannot be changed. Winning races or achieving podium finishes is desirable, but not mandatory, as you will still earn money for yourself and the team. The replay/flashback system works well and allows you to correct some of your driving mistakes per race. Personalizing your cars' colors, numbers, and patterns is limited but very nice. Sponsor decals placement is also fun and interesting to look at, as real brands are used. Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade your car parts. All you are allowed to do is purchase and sell cars, new or used. Some cars handle horribly, even if they are very expensive. GRID has some voice acting, and all I have heard was excellent. Depending on the person's origin, even their accent will be different and localized. Your team's employee and teammate will often relay important and informative radio messages to you. Damage received from driving is of great detail for all cars participating in the race. The damage incurred to the tracks are also vivid and lively, including tires, barricades, and railings. Even if you cannot get a podium finish at any race, you are allowed to retry it any time, for as many times as you would like. Although GRID is supposed to be more arcade style than a simulation, the way the cars and tracks feel surpass my expectations greatly. All competitions are challenging, requiring much effort from the player in order to win. As you go higher up the license levels, the difficulty becomes even more strenuous, if that was even possible. The difficulty makes the game so frustrating, that you will not bare to play for more than about two hours at a time. Because of the steep difficulty, winning gives you the experience of true accomplishment. Skill developing in this game is masterful and rewarding. Every single race is tense and exciting, every single time you try. There is a limited amount of tracks with alternative routes, but racing in them never gets boring. The rivalries you will develop between other drivers is a lot of fun. Scouting for and hiring teammates is also extremely interesting. If you hire a highly skilled teammate, he will be your biggest rival and toughest opponent in most races. Sometimes, your teammates become real nuisances, as they bang, scrape, and tip your car off the track. The Drift races are my absolute favorites. They are extremely fun, and are full of non-stop action at every turn. The game seems to have crashing issues during saving times and quitting times. As far as the starting grid goes, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. There are no qualification steps at all, and it seems that the starting grid is determined at random, which makes it rather silly, unrealistic, and as if you were excluded from a part of the competition. The career mode is somewhat incomplete if you expect GRID to be a total simulation. There are truly no means of securing your own earned starting grid position, nor are you able to tweak your cars. Once you win all events, become the number one driver in the world, and your team becomes the number one team in the world, the game presents you with a prestige opportunity to race against a famous driver from a famous team. This particular race is one-on-one and the difficulty setting is adjusted to Extreme and you are only allowed to flashback one single time. This makes the race close to impossible. The cars, tracks, physics, effects, sounds, and environments are beautiful. There is a lot of excitement and fun to be had with GRID. In the end, this is one of the most frustrating games I have ever played in terms of difficulty. The lack of preliminary race steps, qualification laps, vehicle tweaking, and customization leaves a lot of detail to be desired. There is a lot to love in GRID, but there is also enough frustration. It took me about 31 hours to be the number one driver in the world and the number one team in the world. Expand
  28. Sep 13, 2013
    Sorry Codemasters. I love your DiRT games, I like GRID 2, but this just isn't acceptable. Never have I come across a racing game (with the exception of Motorstorm) that gets handling so wrong. Even using an Xbox 360 controller and adjusting the advanced deadzone settings and taking off all assists, the game is barely playable. First of all, the interior view is THE WORST around. Not onlySorry Codemasters. I love your DiRT games, I like GRID 2, but this just isn't acceptable. Never have I come across a racing game (with the exception of Motorstorm) that gets handling so wrong. Even using an Xbox 360 controller and adjusting the advanced deadzone settings and taking off all assists, the game is barely playable. First of all, the interior view is THE WORST around. Not only can you not see anything because it's letterbox, but it looks bad too in terms of detail. The game starts you off with the fastest cars in the world, and you wonder if the speedometer is accurate or trolling you. There is an unbelievable amount of understeer, and the sense of speed is non-existent. The flashback system is very slow and clunky it's actually quicker to restart the race in some cases. Then there's drifting. If you thought Shift 2 was bad, it isn't it just takes a lot more skill to get used to. In GRID, drifting is unsatisfying and broken. The handbrake in this game is almost useless; although it's probably fairly realistic. There are some good points about this game however. It does away with things that don't really matter, such as customisation and having thousands of cars which nobody will ever use. There is a fair amount of variety in the events and tracks too. Also, you are rewarded for playing the game in a more hardcore manner. Everything from no assists and manual gears to only using interior view and even removing the ability to restart races. The difficulty can be set for each event individually, which is great. Codemasters have definitely understood what hardcore racing game fans care about, but have failed on the most crucial aspect of the game: the driving. It's just wrong and unnatural; whereas GRID 2's is practically perfect fit for everyone. I had high hopes for this game, but the horrible controls and interior view make this difficult to recommend. Expand
  29. Nov 2, 2011
    I have been a racing game fan for a long time, starting with Stunts and TD2 on an AT-286, completing the NFS series, starting serious simulation games with Grand Prix Legends and went on to GTR 2, Richard Burns Rally and Race 07. I both had lot of fun with arcade and simulation titles, top-sellers like Test Drive Unlimited and hardly-known ones such as World Racing 2.

I am only writing

I am only writing this to give some background to the fact that Racedriver: GRID is the VERY FIRST RACING GAME I DID NOT ENJOY AT ALL.

Yes, the graphics is amazing. And the damage model, too. But the driving model combines the worst of arcade and simulation. I don't mind an unrealistic driving style as long as it's fun and has some consistency. In the NFS series (Underground, Most Wanted) it works out well: you have almost unlimited grip and easy control, but you can still use tricks like load transfer forcing the care to over-/understeer. In GRID, you can randomly lose control, the force-feedback does not work and the car gives you no information what's going on. Keyboard, game-pad, steering wheen - none of them works.

I bought it on Steam for 3.49 EUR as a 75% discount. It was not worth it. I still think I was lucky not buying it for the original price.
  30. Sep 8, 2013
    Although it may now be superseded by better graphics and sound, GRID is still, for me, the best racing game in terms of balls-to-the-wall, skin-of-the teeth action. view FTW! why oh why did they remove it in GRID2?

It can be difficult to get to grips with the controls at first, but once mastered there is a real feeling of joy and achievement when you win events. The cars do handle very well, and each has a defined personality.

It precedes Codemasters' obsession with those tedious Drifting events, which are mercifully few in this version.

I'd like to have more tracks, and split screen, but for a few quid I'm not complaining. It's my go-to racing game an has given me many hours of looking ridiculous, tongue-out, wrestling the controller
  31. May 30, 2012
    A lot of noobs are rating this poorly because they are bad at driving. It is not supposed to be easy to drive at top speeds, racing people at 120 mph. If you think it's supposed to be easy, you're retarded. I do not think this game is too challenging either, it's just right, but no you won't be good the first time you play - if you were, that would mean the game is piss easy. Now, to theA lot of noobs are rating this poorly because they are bad at driving. It is not supposed to be easy to drive at top speeds, racing people at 120 mph. If you think it's supposed to be easy, you're retarded. I do not think this game is too challenging either, it's just right, but no you won't be good the first time you play - if you were, that would mean the game is piss easy. Now, to the actual review. It's a great racing game, much better than the need for speed series and all that boring stuff, the tracks and cars look amazing, there are some interesting ideas, like the sponsors. Unfortunately the game is still a pale shadow of what the original gran turismo's (1/2/3) were, where you could customize your car and buy tons of unique vehicles. The vehicle count in this is very low and you're forced to take a certain vehicle for certain events. I feel the actual racing in this game was nailed perfectly but as many indie games it lacks in content. This game deserves a 7/10, for being one of the few racing games of this generation that I actually admire and is fun to play Expand
  32. Mar 31, 2013
    First things first. If you are hardcore sim-racer who plays rFactor or iRacing, you may move along since you'll be disappointed in how car handles, and you'll be disappointed in lack of realism, and you'll be disappointed by AI racers. However, if you are more arcade person like I am, you will be blown away by this game. This game is just superb. Game just looks beautiful, and car handlesFirst things first. If you are hardcore sim-racer who plays rFactor or iRacing, you may move along since you'll be disappointed in how car handles, and you'll be disappointed in lack of realism, and you'll be disappointed by AI racers. However, if you are more arcade person like I am, you will be blown away by this game. This game is just superb. Game just looks beautiful, and car handles tightly, so you won't have much trouble driving monstrous racing car. If you do want to have some trouble driving however, you can just disable driver aids to make game difficult anytime. Ability to edit your team's livery is one of my favorite features. You can choose your car's color, pattern, and choose your sponsor. There's something with customizing your own car. As a result, you can immerse yourself more easily into this game as you feel like you're really managing your own race team. There are many discipline of racing, ranging from professional open wheel racing to manly destruction derby. Gameplay difficulty have five levels, so you have flexibility on how difficult game should be. Only downside is that there aren't many car included. Although each cars are beautifully brought into game, it would be appreciated if there were more cars. Also, there are no car setups, which can be interpreted into either not having enough customization or less thing to worry about, but It would be nice if there were option to adjust car setup. If you came to look for realistic driving simulation, you won't find it here. If you came to look for decent arcade racer however, this is game for you. Highly recommended. Expand
  33. Jul 25, 2013
    Simply a great ARCADE racer. I don't wanna see people complaining about physics as physics in this game are as important as they are in the NFS franchise. Which is that they arnt. Its fun to race and drift your car around every corner, while building your own racing team and gaining sponsorship's. Just plain fun.
  34. Jan 4, 2014
    This game is terrible, namely it's the controls for steering wheel. What's the point of steering wheels for racing games if it doesn't work well with it? I've been playing racing games with steering wheel support since the PS1 and in this day and age, the steering for this game is worse than Need for Speed on PS1. I'm only giving this game a 2 because as a racing sim, it falls behind GranThis game is terrible, namely it's the controls for steering wheel. What's the point of steering wheels for racing games if it doesn't work well with it? I've been playing racing games with steering wheel support since the PS1 and in this day and age, the steering for this game is worse than Need for Speed on PS1. I'm only giving this game a 2 because as a racing sim, it falls behind Gran Turismo, and as an arcade racer, it falls behind Need for Speed (PS1!! Seriously WTF!?). The 2 is just for the graphics and game stability which wasn't an issue for me.

A racing game with bad steering wheel support gets no support from me.
  35. AWG
    Aug 13, 2013
    A very good racing game. A little bit difficult at the beginning but never unfair. Awesome graphics. Just a suggestion: play it with a wheel or don't play it.
  36. Jun 24, 2013
    Played it for an hour and already the best racing game I have ever played. The other aspects of racing such as street and drift put it above its competitors and the raw racing fun is incomparable to any other racing game of its time. Massively enjoyable.
  37. Jul 15, 2013
    I don't understand how this game got this good score. Game looks nice of course, but the gameplay is awful. Especially on PC.
    And this game has no support for my DFGT-wheel. The wheel works if you manually set everything but FFB still refuses to work.
  38. Jul 30, 2013
    I recently bought this game on sale on Steam for $4. Although this game was made in 2008 I have had hours of fun playing it with my friends for cheap. I look forward to buying Grid 2 (currently $50) when I am completely done with this game. I have been racing at the easiest level and still find it to be just challenging enough. I agree with other reviews that say that most people rate thisI recently bought this game on sale on Steam for $4. Although this game was made in 2008 I have had hours of fun playing it with my friends for cheap. I look forward to buying Grid 2 (currently $50) when I am completely done with this game. I have been racing at the easiest level and still find it to be just challenging enough. I agree with other reviews that say that most people rate this game poorly of their own lack of skill and patience. If you want a crash and smash game I would highly recommend Flatout 3; a great game itself but totally different from Grid 2. I look forward to purchasing Grid 2 when it goes on sale but Grid 1 continues to impress me in the career progression and the car and track selections. The graphics are great ...not earth-shattering but good enough. The instant replay is great and you can turn on the ability to "rewind time" (for a small penalty) if you really make a mistake and want to "try again". Expand
  39. Aug 20, 2013
    If one game with all details turn on minimum can't stay at 30 fps with an HD5870, I'll not waste my time.
    What a shame for a such good gameplay ruined by design choises.
  40. Nov 27, 2013
    This game have OP AI's, no means of choosing grid position in the career mode (almost always back), unrealistic physics, and terribly sensitive controls (I have my steering options at the most "insensitive"), and that's all the bad things that I can think of, really the OP AI's are the biggest issue, but most racers those days have rubber band system as well.
    I play with a keyboard, so I
    I play with a keyboard, so I don't have a steering issue. The graphics are great even on low, and the soundtrack is marvelous. The choices of cars are diverse, and they genuinely differ from one another. I don't know, the overall feel is just at home for me. Maybe it's just not sim enough for some.
  41. Jan 6, 2014
    This is the game which everyone remembers. Those who rate this game red are probably those who have no patience in driving the car properly or misunderstood Grid is before Grid 2.

The graphics are great in that year (as I remember, you can't simply pick Grid 2 and compare with this) and I can play with high graphic settings with my HD5770. Since I don't remember the graphics at that time, I won't describe much. Maybe I just conclude it as playable.

Talking about the control, I do not argue with Physics because I'm not quite interested in simulation racing games. What I like about the game is that it's not very easy to get used to the controls at first but I can easily smoke out opponents when I get used to it. It's not as arcade as Grid 2, which offers Need For Speed Hot Pursuit(2012) controls for drift cars and almost not turntable cars for grip cars. However, I feel the difference between different kinds of cars and I can get used to it with a few laps.

The details of the game is also good. There are sponsors and teammates in this game which are pretty interesting. It also offers customization WITH free-rotate view so I can simply change and find a suitable one, unlike Grid 2 when I have to press the free-rotate view every single time and wait for seconds to look. The game also offers view where I can see whether I'm stepping the gas pedal or not, while Grid 2 offers too less car views that even Need For Speed The Run have more car views than it.

The gameplay is also pretty good that I really do feel I'm racing, sitting in a car racing in a track. I have to turn my car carefully in corners so my opponents behind me will not get closer to me. The sound effects even makes the race more intense in the final lap which I have to really concentrate on the road. I feel the joy and say "Yes!" when I crossed the finish line first when other cars are just behind me.

The reason why I only rate it 9 is because of the long events. Since I don't have too much time racing, maybe cutting a race from each event is better for me (just my opinion). Also, the flashback time is a bit short that you can't go back quite far.

Overall, the game is really good, and it may soon become a legend when Codemasters keeps publishing some mediocre games like Dirt 3 and Grid 2.
  42. Jul 13, 2014
    Great game especially when you use driving wheel. A lot of cars, tracks, good AI, nice career system and 24H Le Mans. One of my favorite games. It rocks!
  43. Mar 13, 2014
    Best racing game ever! Got me hooked for months. Stunning graphics,real damage and my own racing team. + real- life sponsors and deciding car paint and pattern. Outstanding.
  44. Aug 8, 2014
    Everything about this game is just fun. Don't go into this game expecting it to be a SIM game because that's not what they are after. I loved this game most because my friend that isn't a gamer was able to pick it up and play with me. At first he was frustrated but slowly he got better to the point he was enjoying it. If it were a SIM game he would have given up. The body damageEverything about this game is just fun. Don't go into this game expecting it to be a SIM game because that's not what they are after. I loved this game most because my friend that isn't a gamer was able to pick it up and play with me. At first he was frustrated but slowly he got better to the point he was enjoying it. If it were a SIM game he would have given up. The body damage feature is really cool also as it forces you to drive well. For arcade racing this is the best I've played to date. Expand

1. Race Driver: GRID is tearing up the tarmac this summer without a challenger in site.
    While the game's focus is clearly on driving, managing sponsors right will double or triple the income of winning an event and is a fun minigame on its own; making lots of money is crucial to entering higher-level, ultra-costly racing series.
  3. Codemasters' racing studio know what they're doing and have again got the key elements right.