5.6

1. Jan 3, 2011
    Middling on all counts. Mediocre graphics, dull gameplay, the text to humor ratio is way long on text for the mild chuckles. In short, jpanic is correct on all counts. I don't blush a bit at RPG ladies, but dude, it isn't the skin, it's the AGE of the "maidens" that makes you feel shame. I ended up getting bored and deleting the game.
  2. Jan 8, 2011
    Overall I was disappointed with this game. It started out well enough, meeting my expectations: An incredibly emo hero, depressed because he was defeated by a mushroom during his final military test, and is now hell bent on committing suicide. But he is "saved" by a semidivine avatar, who is overly optimistic and unashamedly full of himself.

And thus starts this satire of the RPG genre in
    general. The basic concept is great, and the humor is biting, sarcastic, and entirely puerile. However, aside from that, the game falls short.

You will be tortured clicking through dialog box after dialog box to get to the meat of the matter, and some of the humor very early becomes overused. It was funny to save the maiden the first time, who needs your help before the very last strip of her skimpy clothing is viciously torn away by the attacking baddies, and it is moderately entertaining the second time, but by the third time you get the feeling that you have already seen all of the humor the game can provide.

The combat in the game is boring and offers few tactical options. The characters all feel too similar to each other - they're either close combat melee types or archer types - and there's so many in your party that handling them all starts to feel more like a chore. Ultimately, the 'tactics' part of the game feels uninspired and, ultimately, boring.

I found it difficult to see what was going on in some of the darker areas of the game. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but it was very annoying.

Overall, the concept of the game is fantastic, but the execution is poor. Prepare to be disappointed.
  3. Feb 5, 2011
    Computer problems, camera difficulties, and an imperfect item slot were not enough to distract from a fun and wryly engaging story. The combat was rather repetitive, but not so much that it was terrible. All in all, you should play for the story and the wit, not for the combat or the graphics.
  4. May 7, 2011
    Annoying characters, poor plot development, excessive handholding, non-fluid controls, clunky camera... Truth be told this game had a LOT of potential, but it absolutely fell flat for me.

The story seems to be written in a way that shamelessly picks on gothy kids, and somehow tries to make retarded characters seem witty.... the writing throughout the game was an absolute miss for me.

The camera never seemed to be in quite the right spot, and if it was, the area would be too poorly lit for it to matter.

The mouse movements were obscenely slow, despite using hardware acceleration on a computer with a quad-core i7 2.53x4 w/ 8gb of ram and 1gb of video ram it still felt a bit laggy. The combat was where this game should have shined. Games like FF Tactics and Ogre battle were SUCH good systems to draw from... instead you had a boring point and click with a couple skills game with free movement. There was very little tactics involved aside from 'hide in the bushes whenever you can' Extremely repetitive, and that's coming from someone that plays Korean MMO's

The sound design was decent, but it wasn't enough to save this game from being the worst RPG I've ever played. I'm all for indie design, but this was just way too unpolished / untested.
  5. Nov 28, 2010
    You like RPGs and also a bit "Kings Bounty"-like Strategy Combat? You like humor in the style of Monkey Island, Deathspank, Penny Arcade , Plants vs Zombies or Bard's Tale? Then this Indie RPG is perfect for you! You are the most unlucky guy in the world: An Emo! In your Company there are crazy characters like the extreme Holy "Duke Nukem Ultima Parody" Avatar, jealous virgins, and a perverted goblin thief!

This game is not made for the hardcore tactic Pro gamer (recommended: try the hard difficult), but for all RPG loving fans, Ex-WoW gamers (like me
    ;)) and yes... also for women! It's very easy to learn and after you played a few hours it will become more complex, because you get more and more party members each with unique skills.

Game length: around 15 hours. That's ok for this price and I hope there will be a sequel.
  6. Apr 22, 2011
    This review was written after the major patch in late April. While the patch was welcome and fixed some of the minor bugs, it's obvious that the developers attention is on the coming sequel and not the current game. The major issues involving the camera still persist and make this game unplayable for some people. The fundamental premise remains intriguing and it's just too bad the technical and design problems get in the way of what could otherwise be a cool story. I really want to like this game but I think the developers just came to the conclusion that it wasn't economically viable to do a major overhaul. If this game had fulfilled it's potential I'd be giving it a eight of nine. As it is, a four seems generous. Expand
  7. Oct 19, 2010
    Ehh...it's "OK" if you like those RPG games from 1990, with graphics upgraded to 1995. It makes me nostalgic for the good ole, simple days of turn-based combat. Put your wizard "here", put your warriors "there". For $15 from Steam, it's not the worst deal ever.
  8. Oct 24, 2010
    I really enjoy this sort of game so I had very high hopes for the title. However... I found it very disappointing.

The camera and mouse control is wonky and it's very distracting - there's a lag after scrolling which means after you stop scrolling, the screen continues moving. I know it sounds like a petty thing to commence a review with, but It got increasingly irritating until I
    stopped mainly because I constantly felt like throwing my mouse.

Onto the game itself. I enjoyed the humour and story, but the combat itself is very mealy and slow. There's almost no variation between characters or combats. You just continually click on enemies, trundle over and hit them. The camera control makes you feel like you're struggling with the map rather than romping through it in exploration mode. Also the leaps into battle are very sudden and felt more like a constant interruption rather than hazard. For some reason you play in a very zoomed-in view and there seems to be minimal actual tactics.

The graphics are okay for a budget title, except for art direction for female characters which has a totally different style to the male characters which contributes to a patched-together feel. It would have been my preference for the female characters to look a little womanly rather than like four-year-old girls in bikinis (yes, I know it's a joke line - but they look like toddlers, not maidens).

Overall - admirable effort, but a miss.
  9. Mar 17, 2011
    Much underrated!
    At first glance the game seems not as polished as other games, but I have to admit that it is very addictive.
    There are very few games which I have finished, but this one has a great mix of humour and playability which kept me playing to the end.
    If you do not expect a realtime 1st person RPG you will have a good time for about 10-20 hours.
  10. Dec 18, 2011
    The game has terrible combat and virtually no depth. This game is only funny in that the gameplay is a joke. Every tactical rpg Ive played before this actually enabled players to use strategy. This game found a way to inhibit it via irritating chain pulling of creatures, undefined aggro bounds, and an attempt to force tbs onto what was clearly intended to be a 3d version of maplestory.
  11. Mar 14, 2012
    I found this game pretty gross in a lot of respects. Shoddy camera, completely awful characters - the 'maidens?' You've got to be kidding me - horribly unpolished dialogue. If you gave one of those twelve year old boys in an AOL chat the chance to write a game, you would get humour remarkably similar to what Grotesque Tactics has to offer.

I can't bring myself to play this for more than
    ten to fifteen minutes at a time, and I always find myself shutting it down in a foul mood. I'm only glad I didn't have to spend money on this. Comparing Grotesque Tactics to the Monkey Island games is absolutely shameful; a slightly more obnoxious version of Dink Smallwood is far more accurate. Collapse
  12. Feb 25, 2011
    One of the most funny indie games I ever played on Steam. Simple Party RPG with nice ideas. A bit like Vandal Hearts, Kings Bounty or Fire Emblem but with focus of humor and story. Glad to see they work on Grotesque Tactics 2 with cool graphics.
  13. Oct 28, 2011
    This game gives me a headache. And figuring out how to not make it give me a headache gave me an even bigger headache. This game sort of looks like you're permanently suffering from the visual effects of a flashbang; everything is overly bright but it's all splotched. The game also seems to suffer from a stuttering camera that moves around far too slowly and gets locked into place at awkward moments. The storyline seemed amusing at first but there's far too much of their own brand of 'humour' thrown in there. The characters are superficial. Wouldn't know about any plot, I just stopped caring and gave up. Combat is uninteresting. Models have boring animations, there's hardly any tactical decisions to be made and if one of your two main characters die, you'll have to reload your last save game. Since it's turn based, you might have 4 or 5 enemies whacking your main character one after another without interruption, leading to a swift death and ultimately, a roll back to an older save game. Thought we got over that sort of gameplay after the 90's. Guess some people just can't let go. As much as this game may seem 'different' from other fantasy games due to the absurdness of the theme, it doesn't even come close to the games it tries to mock. Waste of money and time. Expand
  14. Jul 22, 2012
    Einer der geilsten Spiele die ich je gespielt hab ! *__*
  15. Nov 18, 2013
    The game isn't too bad itself, your typical hack and slasher with attempts at humour that mostly fall flat, but it's really the horrendous misogyny I can't cope with. The maidens make me want to set fire to stuff the giggling, scantily clad twarts. If it weren't for the misogyny this might have reached the dizzy heights of 6/10
  16. Aug 22, 2013
    This game is definitely worth a buy and play for the $2.50 sale price. The graphics are ok, and the story is actually OK, despite many complaints. The humour is often mis-pitched, but this whole game is soaked in Scandinavian irony: Just like the Magicka game, the developers are full of self-loathing and cannot approach game design with anything other than TOTAL sarcasm. I don't really mind any of that. But this game really suffers in terms of basic controls and pacing. The main reason is the way the game is CONTINUOUSLY paused to hit us with tedious MONOLGUE boxes. Not dialogues. MONOLOGUES. WHY? The game would have been so much better if they hired some voice actors to paint the picture with background noise rather than breaking up the gameplay with continuous spatial and visual obstructions. How can we appreciate humor if it is offered in a form that physically constrains our movement through the game world. Like a bullying Scandinavian who will never let you walk away from his bad jokes. Definitely auto-skip as much as you can.

17. Aug 7, 2013
    The game is a turn-based strategy where you have command of heroes who are attempting to foil the evil followers of "the mother of god". It starts out with the main character being a emo who was the only one ever to fail at the commander achademy and attempt to sacrifice himself until a Paladin names the "Holy Avatar" comes to your aid and inspires you to fight against the forces of darkness.

Like Deathspank, this game has tongue-in-cheek humour at fantasy styled RPGs and MMOs with some silly enemies that'll bring a smile to your face such as savage mushrooms and sabre-toothed bunnies. There are even green mushrooms that when killed you hear the maro 1hp trune play and even see a 1hp appear.

All character have unique abilities and you have to think tactically in order to fight back and cut down the enemy. A fun little game and good to have a little laugh at too.
  18. Sep 11, 2013
    Great Cheap game i love the art style And have always been a huge fan of tactical games It show's Humor that more RPG need to have. Frankly this is one of the best strategic games i have played.
  19. Mar 14, 2012

I can't bring myself to play this for more than

1. Jan 5, 2011
    There is the seed of an interesting, enjoyable, funny, and simple SRPG in Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes, but it's buried in fertilizer.
  2. All in all, Grotesque Tactics is a shoddy low-budget game.
  3. A fresh and funny indie game. A real little gem, though not without flaws, but with lots of virtues missing from most blockbuster titles: charm, comedy and imagination- for a low price.