7.8

1. Feb 1, 2014
    Guacamelee represents all that is good in indie games. It has excellent references, looks phenomenal, and has one of the funnest game play models I've seen in an indie game since Castle Crashers.

Definitely worth the play. I've had more fun with this than I've had with some of the recent AAA titles that have been released in recent years.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Funny and entertaining game from the seas of humor and great gameplay, plus amazing sound and music makes this game even more special atmosphere and gives players to immerse themselves in a funny world. Definitely 10 out of 10 points to the measure of indie games. Verdict-great! Expand
  3. Aug 11, 2013
    Timeraider's Review Time: Dust 2d sideview platformer/massive fighting Gamplay: 9/10 Graphics: 8.5/10 Performance: 8.5/10 Problems/bugs/glitches: 8/10 Storyline: 9/10 Emotional attachment/ general immersion: 10/10 General score: 9/10 Additional comments: I am usually not the guy to play sideview fighters, especially chaotic ones. However this game it deserves everything. The graphics are great and fit the gameplay.. not to detailed and slightly cartoony, while maintaining the resolution and graphical advancements found in the newer games.
    The gameplay is great it has nice performance on even weak PC's and the game just feels very smooth. Pressing 30 buttons per second will happen, but it wont show even the slightest microstutter on the screen.. its all fluid and smooth.
    The storyline is very immersive (ive heard people actually pinked away a tear and i myself felt touched at some moments to so far) and the game keeps you in a tight lock im known for never finishing games, which is a trait alot of gamers suffer from. However since ive started playng this game im stuck to the screen and will certainly finish this (will be my third pc game ive ever finished in the last 8 years (others were Trine 2 and.. Star Wars Battlefront 2 i believe)...

This was my short recommendation. If you want a full review.. sorry but i dont do those.
  4. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is amazing. The music and art style are both captivating. They work together well to create an unforgettable and unique experience.

The platforming at many stages is downright genius in that it will not only make you think, but often allow you to piece together a platforming solution on the fly. It is an intense experience that is not hindered by difficulty.

It's corny and
    humorous at times, which gives the game a personality all it's own. The game is downright charming.

This game also does not forget its roots and knows it's fan-base. It has plenty of Easter eggs that pertain to it's inspirations, which will only add more flavor and appeal to those that like this kind of game.

A must have for anyone who likes fun.
  5. Aug 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Guacamelee isn’t only pretty to look at, it’s also a hell of a lot of fun to play. Its Metroidvania inspiration is strong, and yet it does so much to help it stand apart, not the least of which by providing us with a deceivingly deep combat system and a two-world polarity system that simply makes the experience more dynamic. Expand
  6. Aug 18, 2013
    Great game, even though it's a bit short, and doesn't offer much replay value, apart from a "hard difficulty" mode.
    But if you're looking for a metroidvania game, starring a Mexican wrestler with great music (Rom Di Prisco) and atmosphere, look no further.
    Combat is fun, challenging but never unfair, controls are decent and the level design keeps it interesting till the end, with
    increasingly difficult puzzles and platforming. Expand
  7. Aug 13, 2013
    Guacamelee combines a huge swath of the best game mechanics ever devised, stuffs them into a barbacoa burrito and will punch off your head with such velocity that the blood will rocket from your neck and propel your lifeless body all the way to Phoenix.

No really, it's Cartoon Sushi of the best of everything. Metroid, Zelda, Earthworm Jim, Castlevania, Smash Bro's, Portal, Gunstar
    Heroes and countless more inspiring titles; there are so many great classics represented here in the most genius subtle tamale pie bake of all their fine elements, I'm left speechless. Yet, it's completely fresh and unique and adds to that cadre with its own twists. It's unbelievably addictive and so much deeper than I ever would've guessed.
    Quick list of amazing traits.

Art Gorgeous. Samauri Jack meets Nacho Libre. You have to simply experience it. The visual cues are perfect.

GamePlay Breakneck and satisfying. I can't say more without spoiling it. Attention to detail is thicker than molasses. It takes some skill but jaw dropping things will result.

Story Classic. Few games can pull off this simple story, hit a grand slam and do it with style to spare. Imagine Zelda Mario Portal Earthworm Jim Okami all smashed together.

Sound You want 5.1 surround. Crank it. Bring Tequila.

Control The depth, speed and responsiveness are so well done the only problem I found was remembering how much beat unmerciful you have at your disposal. Definitely my favorite aspect.

Overall Great wholesome, scream-at-your-screen-in-ecstatic-frustration-because-you-were-so-friggen-close FUN.

This would've been an instant 90's classic giving the likes Sonic and Crash a run for their money.

Also, co-op, though I haven't had a chance to experience how insane that must be.
    The only con I have found is it leaves you wanting more. However, replay-ability, yup it's got that. I would wager a bet this would be a smash at parties w/ co-op.

There are a lot of good side-scrollers coming out these days. This is one of the best.
    Absolute 10/10
  8. Dec 30, 2013
    Amazing platformer with a very polished atmosphere. The learning curve is well balanced, however, the game becomes pretty hard at the end. Personally, I think that in the past few years Guacamelee! is the best in its category. You should not miss it!
  9. Jan 2, 2014
    Love it! Shadow Complex meets Super Meat Boy. Illustrations and Colors are perfect, might be the best looking 2D game in a long time. If you find the combat or bosses in this game difficult, perhaps you need to train more at the 2D gym with the rooster.. which I did... then I dominated. Like SMB, there's going to be some Extra levels (outside of the game story) that will make you lose your mind. The only thing that sorta' pissed me off were the precise timing of moves (for extra levels) that don't necessarily work perfectly with an analog controller, but with repetition is doable. Expand
  10. Aug 8, 2013
    The game is really fun. Just got it and played for an hour. It totally got me hooked. As a metrovania style lover, the game basically has everything I need: challenging platforming, check; non-linear level, check; tons of unlock, check; backtracking value, check.
    The combat can be a little stiff at the beginning. But after learning more moves and getting used to the control, it's a lot of
    fun tossing bad guys around.
    Plus, the art design and music is pretty unique. As a 2D game, it's pretty enough. The lack of voice acting is a little disappointing though. The characters may do some pretty hilarious things while talking. But players have to stare on the subtitle for the whole time.
    Overall Guacamelee really worth my money. I suggest to buy it in the first week. You got 10 percent discount and another game from the studio as bonus. Absolutely increase the value.
  11. Sep 23, 2013
    such a great game i enjoyed this game so much great gameplay great music and great graphics it is actually perfect i played it without the Gamepad and i didn't encounter any problems a great classic game
  12. Sep 30, 2013
    Guacamelee! Gold Edition, is arguably the best of the many modern metroidvania games released recently. While other modern metroidvanias tend to favour combat and RPG elements, Guacamelee instead focuses on providing satisfying, yet interesting and puzzle-like combat, along with many thought-provoking platforming puzzle sections. It's clear that Drinkbox know their game mechanics, and most puzzles and combat scenarios are perfectly designed around use of the many game mechanics, an example of one being dimension switching, a mechanic which is used to great effect throughout the game. If Guacamelee does have flaws, though, it has to come with the obnoxious internet memes, the length of the game (clocks in at, like, 7 hours), and the fact that opinions on the game are easily subjective. Expand
  13. Sep 8, 2013
    An absolutely amazing Metroidvania platformer. It has extremely rewarding and challenging platforming elements, a really innovative beat-em-up combat style, and a really interesting integration of combat abilities with platforming challenges and Metroidvania-style locks. Also the music, art, and luchador theme are hilarious and wonderful. I loved this game.
  14. Sep 12, 2013
    Guacemelee is a very well made and gamed 2d platform. The game is very amazing. The graphics for a 2d platform standard are good. The levels are challenging and fun. Nothing more to say. A good game anyways.
  15. Oct 14, 2013
    Guacamelee is simply the best platformer I've played in quite a while. The graphics, sounds, and soundtrack are spot on for the world. Generally I'm not a huge platromer but I found this one immensely fun in all the classic sort of ways. The bosses were just challenging enough with being a pain and the combat is very satisfying with good feedback to the user. The only thing that would have been nice for the PC version would have been re-bindable keys for those who don't own controllers, cause if you don't... you might end up hating this game. Expand
  16. Jan 22, 2014
    It's a good action platforming game. Lots of charisma. Not laugh out loud funny but the mood of the game and of the characters are humorous. HOWEVER, it is extremely difficult. The platforming is the most difficult parts. I can't play this game for extended periods of time without getting frustrated. In fact, I am not even sure I am enjoying myself because the platforming levels can be so difficult. But with that being said I recognize that this is a good game and if you want that challenge then this is the game for you. Expand
  17. Aug 27, 2013
    Great game. Great music. Great graphics. Great gameplay and powerup-level design. If you are good at Metroid or Super Metroid, you should play this game.
    But DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME WITHOUT A GAMEPAD.
  18. Feb 18, 2014
    Played: Feb 2014 Pros: + Very comfortable controls that allow you to move intuitively (with controller) + Interesting visual style Cons: - Feels very short - Some enemies get very stale by the end - Story starts promising and ends nonsensical This game bills itself as a “metroidvania” type platformer, and let’s face it: it pretty much is. Some areas are inaccessible until the correct special movement is unlocked, but ultimately there aren’t that many special moves, so many areas are open to you right from the start. You play as a luchador, so there won’t be any weapons to find, either; the few additional moves you can get in the game are all grapples (a move you can complete when smallish enemies have taken enough damage). The low number of moves contributes to the short feel of the game (probably about 8 hours for the first play-though), but man are they satisfying! Throwing a damaged enemy through a whole crowd of others and sending them flying like bowling pins should bring a grin to anybody who picks up this game.

On the other hand, there are only a few enemy types, and late-game difficulty increase consists largely of forcing you to take on more of them and introducing some unblockable types (read: fire-based attacks). As you get good, you’ll find that you can destroy many enemie types in 1-2 seconds, which is good, because otherwise you’d get really bored fighting the same 8-10 monsters.

The story starts out feeling epic, but pretty quickly you find you’re actually just rescuing Princess Peach from Bowser again. The boss minions of the main enemy have very crudely sketched reasons for working with him, nor is it ever clear just why your girlfriend was abducted in the first place. Furthermore, the devil is introduced as a character, then plays essentially zero role. Why introduce a pointless character you might ask? Maybe because the developers just wanted to… in any case this is not a game you should play because it “features elements of hispanic culture”-you won’t pick up any traditional lore at all.

Overall, the game is pretty darn good, and very memorable in some parts. You may find that you’ll get replay out of it if you go in for additional modes unlocked at the end of a run, but I’d try to get it for less than $10 if possible.
  19. Sep 1, 2013
    The game looks fun. Average side scrolling. Music is nice, graphic is good, story is ok. Playing with keyboard is little hard. To much keys to press. Controller is highly recommended. Price is ok. Nothing more to add.
  20. Sep 14, 2013
    Guacamelee is a well-made game that gets boring quickly. Despite gaining new abilities frequently, combat feels repetitive. Mandatory dialog is frequent and sometimes funny, but also got old quick. I bought the game because I love metroidvanias, but it feels more like a fighting game. There is a lot to like here, but it just didn't hold together for me.
  21. Aug 25, 2013
    Game starts out nicely, but eventually reveals some frustrating flaws. It demands absolute precision from the player, but is pretty sloppy with its own hit boxes and timings. Boss characters are given massive amounts of invulnerability frames, which aren't indicated in any way, that you're forced to learn by trial and error. Conversely, you can be damaged at any time, even during special moves when your character is just a blur, which is maddeningly counter intuitive. Many people are reporting they never get past the final boss, which leaves little incentive for me to play the final quarter of the game. This is a punishing game for 15 year-olds who have the time to play it as obsessively as it demands. I used to have that sort of patience, but now I realized games are supposed to be...fun. On the plus side, it has amazing style and a great sense of exploration. Really unique stuff. But with all these rave reviews, I thought someone really needed to chime in with a reality check. Expand
  22. Feb 24, 2014
    The graphics are great, the art style is original, and the music is pretty good. Provided you're using a gamepad, the game is fluid and responsive. The writing is funny and the dialogue is clever.

However, all of this is a smokescreen. By the time you get to the endgame, the difficulty cranks up to hateful levels, unfairly changing established rules and making mandatory level segments
    near impossible for the average gamer. Any "professional reviewer" who gave this game high marks obviously didn't make it past the first hour of gameplay, when things were still fairly manageable.

You could charitably call this a Metroidvania-style game, but the big difference is that those titles' designers knew how to properly scale difficulty. I got so frustrated with Guacamelee that I simply deleted the game entirely without finishing it. My only regret is wasting a few hours of my life to get that far in the first place -- thankfully I didn't pay actual money for it.
  23. Aug 25, 2013
    Do not buy this game if you are looking to have fun. The story is atrocious. The graphics are cute but nothing special. The music is god awful throughout the entire game. The controls ARE TERRIBLE if you are looking to play without a controller dont even touch.

1. Jan 30, 2014
    It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but the amount of care and polish that went into this title is readily apparent.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    A delight. [Dec 2013, p.95]
  3. Oct 3, 2013
    The PC edition of Guacamelee comes with all the extra content that has come out since its initial release and with all of that lovely, Mexican craziness.