• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. Aug 31, 2012
    Awesome game, no subscriptions. This game is perfect for what you want in an mmo. Arena net set a standard here folks. Don't be shy come join in on the fun and no more subscription based games!
  2. Aug 28, 2012
    WOW... and not world of warcraft, this game is amazing. i cant belive this game is so good the way it is. i also have come to the conclusion that why the **** did i have to pay for wow when this game is better than it??? in a nutshell this game is GREAT dont think about it, just buy it. im happy that i actualy bought a game that is actualy fun.

diablo 3 sucks so bad, im very thankful

diablo 3 sucks so bad, im very thankful for this game to come as i felt we were doomed!!
  3. Aug 28, 2012
    While I could rant on and on about why I think this game is amazing, I will say that unlike other recent MMORPGs (that feel like single player), Guild Wars 2 brings back the Massive Multiplayer Online in MMORPGs. And I wouln't want it any other ways in the MMORPGs I play.
  4. Aug 29, 2012
    While I worry that it might still be too early to make any lasting judgments, through my time in beta and playing live GW2 is one of the best MMO experiences I've had to date. The game shines as much for its innovations and new ideas as it does for the decision not to include some of what has become standard fare in MMOs over the last decade. The level of polish and detail in the game isWhile I worry that it might still be too early to make any lasting judgments, through my time in beta and playing live GW2 is one of the best MMO experiences I've had to date. The game shines as much for its innovations and new ideas as it does for the decision not to include some of what has become standard fare in MMOs over the last decade. The level of polish and detail in the game is deeply impressive, visuals are wonderful and the creative approach to flexible play is a breath of fresh air.

Many will write on the quality of dynamic events, the A+ PvP and other popular aspects of GW2 but one of the aspects I've most appreciated is the subtle rewarding of exploration. Progression in GW2 is easy if one is a progression-minded player, but for those of us who like to search around and relax throughout the game there are a host of treats and surprises that might otherwise go easily overlooked.
  5. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a fun time. There is obviously room for improvement and they are patching it constantly. This headstart weekend there were 3? patches that improved stability and fixed some issues. I have not dabbled in the PvP because between the PvE and WvW I have my hands full. To address some of the lower reviews. If you hit a wall where you have run out of quests to do in your area youGuild Wars 2 is a fun time. There is obviously room for improvement and they are patching it constantly. This headstart weekend there were 3? patches that improved stability and fixed some issues. I have not dabbled in the PvP because between the PvE and WvW I have my hands full. To address some of the lower reviews. If you hit a wall where you have run out of quests to do in your area you can simply go to any other area in the game and GW2 will "equalize" you to that areas level. If you get banned from the game for 3 days it is in the TOS - that is your warning. Again the game is missing some things - like a functioning Trading Post, along with some other things from your typical MMO that are missed - such as an inspect function and a trade function; everything is via mail. On a completely unrelated note - the dyes are awesome. Expand
  6. Aug 28, 2012
    An excellent MMO that while following the usual tropes of a themepark MMO, significantly improves and expands them. While combat may take some getting used to, it is a far richer experience than most alternatives. Unlike the traditional MMO combat system, player movement and tactical finesse is a critical part of success. Progression through the game's 80 levels is a joy and a multitude ofAn excellent MMO that while following the usual tropes of a themepark MMO, significantly improves and expands them. While combat may take some getting used to, it is a far richer experience than most alternatives. Unlike the traditional MMO combat system, player movement and tactical finesse is a critical part of success. Progression through the game's 80 levels is a joy and a multitude of options are available for gathering experience, from crafting and PvE to PvP combat in both massive cross server fights, or tactical battleground settings of 10-16 players. Expand
  7. Aug 28, 2012
    The game is absolutely stunning. Although it is lacking some dx11 features, the graphic artists created a beautiful world, the presentation and the art direction as simply spectacular. The old boring quest system has been replaced with an intuitive and unique mechanic called Dynamic Events. These change the landscape considerably and offer a variety of ways to progress them, there areThe game is absolutely stunning. Although it is lacking some dx11 features, the graphic artists created a beautiful world, the presentation and the art direction as simply spectacular. The old boring quest system has been replaced with an intuitive and unique mechanic called Dynamic Events. These change the landscape considerably and offer a variety of ways to progress them, there are events that spawn after a failure. NPCs don't just stand still waiting to give quests to players, they interract with each other and then environment. The NPCs tell a story, and it is a mistake not to stay awhile and listen and to that story unfold in front of your eyes (and ears) and instead run for the exp. This creates a living breathing world that responds to player action, the game feels alive like no other and your actions actually have a meaning, they change the surroundings and offer new posibilities.
    Exploring is key in the game, there is just so much to be found in the world of Tyria, coupled with the amazing scenery and art direction, you are never bored of looking to the vast landscape and exploring to your heart's content. There are well hidden places to be found, jumping puzzles and hidden treasures that are there to be found by expert explorers.
    Combat is very well done, active and up-close and personal. There is no aggro mechanic or any kind of passive block and to-hit mechanisms, it's all up to the player to either hit or be hit by enemies. The game has distinct professions that offer variable abilities for every situation. Each one can perform control damage and support tasks, to a certain extend, marking the end of the holy trinity that plagued RPGs for so long.
  8. Aug 28, 2012
    I think lots of the 0-3 reviews here are extremely biased. Problems on launch day, really? Doesn't play like WoW or whereever you come from? go figure. I love the game so far, it's better than every other MMORPG I played so far in almost every aspect.
  9. Aug 28, 2012
    I've looked through many of the negative reviews for this game, and every single one is making assumptions about the game which simply aren't true. I'm tired of seeing people who played the game for an hour complain about features of the game that they have not fully experienced, or don't understand yet. For example, one person complains that you can't play together because of overflowI've looked through many of the negative reviews for this game, and every single one is making assumptions about the game which simply aren't true. I'm tired of seeing people who played the game for an hour complain about features of the game that they have not fully experienced, or don't understand yet. For example, one person complains that you can't play together because of overflow servers, when you can easily just right click on a party member and 'Join In' on their overflow server. Not to mention overflow servers will become less necessary as the playerbase expands across the world. Right now everyone is in the 1-30 levels so yeah, there's overflow servers. But there's also no queues to get in and play.

Some others complained about the skill system. Saying it is too limited. GW2 uses a weapon skill system that gives you five skills based on your weapon(s) and complains that this makes it 'generic.' I don't know how anyone can say that every class having many different sets of skills available to them is somehow more limited than every class having exactly the same cookie cutter skills. An elementalist specced around dagger+focus is extremely different from an elementalist specced around the staff. A warrior specced around sword+shield is completely different from a warrior specced around the rifle. This system creates classes within classes. It isn't limiting at all.

Speaking of skills, another person complained that you only get a handful of skills compared to other MMOs. This isn't true. Weapon swapping is an important part of gameplay. During combat most classes can swap between two sets of weapons, giving them ten weapon skills plus their healing/utility skills. The fewest number of skills a class can have available at a time is 16. In the case of elementalists, they can swap attunements between four elements giving them 20 weapon skills plus their 5 healing/utility skills. 25 total. The engineer gets kits that replace their weapon skills with special engineer-only skills, and they can carry three of these kits at a time, and each utility skill gives them a special ability that they can use at any time, regardless of whether the kit is active or not. This comes out to 5 weapon skills, 15 kit skills, 2 healing abilities, and 2 elite abilities. For a total of 24.

There is plenty of variety, IMO more than other MMOs by a longshot. Not to mention that while other MMOs have very samey abilities, virtually every ability in GW2 is interesting, unique, and beautiful to watch. Characters will leap at foes and dance around them evading blows. But a lot of this is unlocked over time as you play the game.

Others complain about the questing system. This is a game about exploration where you can travel where you want and do what you want, and have that progress be meaningful and develop your character. You can get through the entire game without doing a single 'kill ten rats' quest if you wish. Or without doing a single 'collect ten flowers' quest. The free-roaming nature of the questing system obviously throws some people off, but I for one would never go back. And for those who enjoy more linear quests, the personal stories provide beautifully scripted quests where you have to make choices about things that directly impact your character's life.

Events are somewhat generic in the early starting areas of the game, but they quickly evolve into deeply satisfying contested areas where forts change hands and entire areas once friendly are overrun with enemies. I've stood on the walls of a fortress in the Shiverpeaks and rained fire on invading enemies, only to be pushed out of the fortress. And after rallying together with other players, we stormed the fortress and took it back from the invaders. No this was not PvP, this was Players versus Events. Until you've experienced chained events with world-changing results, you haven't experienced Events.

I've played in all the beta weekends and in the headstart. It might just be the best game I have ever played, and I never thought I'd say that about an MMO. Everything is polished to a perfect shine. Its gameplay, unlike every other MMO I have played, would not lose its appeal even in a single player setting. This is truly a revolutionary game in the MMO genre, and it makes sense that some people aren't going to get it right away. But that just means that you might want to think twice before taking the advice of someone who played the game for an hour and thinks he's seen enough to rate it.
  10. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is the best MMORPG that I've played in a loooooong time and it definitely raises the bar for future MMORPGs. Awesome game? Check. Buy once? Check. No subscription? Check. Haters gon' hate? Check. After playing GW2 - I don't see myself playing any other MMORPG for a long, loooooong time. This doesn't mean GW2 doesn't have its flaws - but NOTHING comes close to the awesomenessGuild Wars 2 is the best MMORPG that I've played in a loooooong time and it definitely raises the bar for future MMORPGs. Awesome game? Check. Buy once? Check. No subscription? Check. Haters gon' hate? Check. After playing GW2 - I don't see myself playing any other MMORPG for a long, loooooong time. This doesn't mean GW2 doesn't have its flaws - but NOTHING comes close to the awesomeness of this game. Once ArenaNet starts releasing expansion packs to introduce more content, this game will be the new king of MMORPGs if it isn't already. Expand
  11. Aug 28, 2012
    14 year MMO vet here. GW2 is the best MMO since WoW, maybe in forever. Massive, immersive world, tons of fun content and fun over all game play. Definitely one of the largest, most beautiful MMO worlds since Vanilla WoW, with plenty of redundancy to further increase re-playability. Combat is fun and dynamic. Professions are well designed and offer a lot of variety. Everyone has a self14 year MMO vet here. GW2 is the best MMO since WoW, maybe in forever. Massive, immersive world, tons of fun content and fun over all game play. Definitely one of the largest, most beautiful MMO worlds since Vanilla WoW, with plenty of redundancy to further increase re-playability. Combat is fun and dynamic. Professions are well designed and offer a lot of variety. Everyone has a self heal, no dedicated healers in this game. The game has a lot of innovative features that not only work well on their own, but the entire game comes together to produce something much greater than the sum of all it's parts.

Between beta events and the three day head start, I've already logged 200 hours of game play. The fun and sense of discovery has never waned and I look forward to playing this game for the long haul!

Too many MMOs in recent years have failed to offer much beyond a month of play for many players. It's great to see a new MMO that has the content, world and game play to support a long term commitment from the players. Guild Wars 2 sets a new bar for MMO design that will be very difficult to match or exceed in the next few years. Unless there is some game in development somewhere that can outdo what GW2 has done, this is going to be THE game for many MMO players for the next year, or even a few years, depending on how well Arenanet are able to build upon the game via future expansion.

A final note, there is no subscription fee, which is amazing, since the game offers more than any game since WoW launched as far as world size, content, features, etc... You aren't getting a discount experience due to the lack of subscription fee. If you do like the game and keep playing, you might want to consider making use of the Gem Store, as a way to support the game and it's further development financially. Nothing in the store is pay to Win or even provides an unfair advantage, but there are things like character slots, expanded vault space, etc... that will be useful to almost everyone. Dropping $10 on gems every once in a while, in lieu of a subscription fee, will provide some nice account upgrades or even some fluff cosmetic items, while ensuring the future successful expansion of the game moving forward. To sum up, the game is massive, fun, immersive, with a huge world space, tons of content, breadth of features and depth of game play pretty much unparalleled by other current games in the MMORPG genre. If you are an MMO fan, you can't go wrong for $60. For many, this is a game that will provide hundreds or even thousands of hours of game play. There is no better entertainment value for your dollar!
  12. Aug 28, 2012
    I'm not one to review many games, but I felt this was worth sharing. This game is too addicting, visually very pleasing, and alluring. Guild Wars 2 = Wife Aggro
  13. Aug 28, 2012
    I have to the say, this is the best MMO I have played in years. Most new MMOs that came out are WOW clones (or same style) and nothing new. This one has all the best features of the best mmos out there, dynamic quests -> Rift.

Only thing that is lacking is the dungeons. They are too hard to do without the standard TANK/HEALER/DMG. Needs a better dungeon strategy.
  14. Sep 29, 2012
    One of the best games out there. It's clear as day that the large majority of these "negative reviews" are coming from people who have not even played the game and are either just trolling to be miserable trolls or are mad because their game might be failing in some way (SWTOR, Kung Fu Panda)
  15. Aug 28, 2012
    Great game. Awesome combat mechanics, graphics, sounds, animations, etc. Currently missing the trading post and with some minor bugs; haven't found any game breaking bugs
  16. Aug 28, 2012
    This game makes me feel like the biggest completionist. As a long-time MMO fan who never could get into WoW, I have been hinging my hopes on GW2 to deliver a solid, genuinely fun experience. It does all this and more. Suddenly gameplay doesn't feel like a grind and I focus less on what my level is and more on exploration, discovery, and just enjoying the gorgeous variety of the world. TheThis game makes me feel like the biggest completionist. As a long-time MMO fan who never could get into WoW, I have been hinging my hopes on GW2 to deliver a solid, genuinely fun experience. It does all this and more. Suddenly gameplay doesn't feel like a grind and I focus less on what my level is and more on exploration, discovery, and just enjoying the gorgeous variety of the world. The great thing is that this game is perfectly suited for all kinds of players - those who just want to experience the story, those who are interested solely in PvP, crafters, achievement-hunters, explorers. The game is massive, yet nothing feels like it was stretched too thin. The long wait for Guild Wars 2 was more than worth it for me. Expand
  17. Aug 28, 2012
    The is game is the revolution. Ive been waiting for 5 years for this game and exceeded all of my expectations and then some! It just raised the bar for not just for mmo standards but on how to make a game in general.
  18. Aug 28, 2012
    So people are going to complain about certain things broke? Fine, but when you're dealing with 400k CONCURRENT users online, unforeseen issues will occur. For what it's worth, it is THE smoothest launch of ANY game. Yes, even Warcraft. They have delivered on numerous occasions, spilled their souls into the story, content, and technical systems. It's not about pressing "1" multipleSo people are going to complain about certain things broke? Fine, but when you're dealing with 400k CONCURRENT users online, unforeseen issues will occur. For what it's worth, it is THE smoothest launch of ANY game. Yes, even Warcraft. They have delivered on numerous occasions, spilled their souls into the story, content, and technical systems. It's not about pressing "1" multiple times: it's about knowing when to use your abilities at the proper times. There is something that has been missing to MMO's: fun. This game delivers that on so many levels WITHOUT Skinner box feelies through the levels. This allows the person playing to feel fulfilled even to the end of their PVE route of levels, without the taste of ash. Those who base their judgments or parallel this game with others: you just can't. You can't say that every fantasy setting is the same as the next. You want to parallel it with a game then do it with Warhammer--the game it was set out to be for in the first place. Guild Wars 2 has no hype train: it's the people playing the game telling others it's time to try something unique and higher quality. As for graphics, if you don't apply some kind of spectrum of quality for people, you limit the amount of people to play the game. Sure, it doesn't have SUPER QUAD GRAPHICS OF NEXT GENNING but there is a masterwork level of art direction with ALL of their choices in that regard.

If you are looking to sink your teeth in with tons of story, get this. If you are looking for hardcore PvP--siege or battlegrounds-esque fighting--get this. There will always be the naysayer, but everyone will ALWAYS have their preferences either way.
  19. Aug 29, 2012
    Best MMO-RPG in many years. Beautiful graphics, fun and great game play. PVE is excellent but what takes this game on another level is best PVP ever. And world vs world vs world is even better.
  20. Aug 29, 2012
    Simply an amazing game. I've played many of the major MMOs (EQ, WoW, GW1, Tera, +many more), and this game (thus far) contains more depth and breath taking artwork than the rest combined. While more work needs to be done, this is the most complete MMO at launch I've ever played. It takes all the lessons that have been learned from other MMOs and solves them in a great way. From DynamicSimply an amazing game. I've played many of the major MMOs (EQ, WoW, GW1, Tera, +many more), and this game (thus far) contains more depth and breath taking artwork than the rest combined. While more work needs to be done, this is the most complete MMO at launch I've ever played. It takes all the lessons that have been learned from other MMOs and solves them in a great way. From Dynamic quests to the crafting system, this game makes me feel like its my first MMO all over again. The combat system is simple yet full of depth and the talent/skill system allows for more personalization than you first realize. Just exploring the world and doing whatever you want always has rewards ready for you. From xp, to armor, to power ups - the game makes you want to continue playing at every turn. The personal story is very well done - though I have to admit the Asura and Sylvari (for me) have been strikingly great. It makes it very rare that any two people will choose the same choices and the dye system/personal character customization makes sure that no two characters look exactly the same. I highly recommend this game to anyone starting in the MMO genre or anyone that knows MMOs and wants to feel renewed. The game will only get better as Anet solves the small problems that any game with this hype/size will suffer. Expand
  21. Aug 29, 2012
    This game is AWESOME. The best MMOPRG since WoW The Burning Crusade. One of the most beautiful game EVER. Don't trust the haters that give a negative scores. Haters gonna hate. Buy this game. Play this game. Love this game.
  22. Aug 29, 2012
    So much content and so much to look at, the combat is fun and fluid, there are a few minor bugs atm but they will be ironed out.
    Overall it's money well spent and there is plenty more I haven't seen
  23. Aug 29, 2012
    Epic game, character conversation that I would normally pass by, living world, amazing art, combat system, using your brain, discovery, mechanic, sound, challenge, puzzles, community, magnificent launch, personal story, different starting zones for all races, choices, questing, exploring, crafting, free to play with no pay to win items from cashshop, endless endgame-game in lower zonesEpic game, character conversation that I would normally pass by, living world, amazing art, combat system, using your brain, discovery, mechanic, sound, challenge, puzzles, community, magnificent launch, personal story, different starting zones for all races, choices, questing, exploring, crafting, free to play with no pay to win items from cashshop, endless endgame-game in lower zones downgrade you to appropriate level so there is ALWAYS a challenge, AMAZING, guild management, guild upgrading, PvP, world PvP.

Now, if you have WoW Syndrome, you will be in trouble, because this game force you to use your brain.
  24. Aug 29, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a rich game with a fun environment that feels alive. The questing is fun and you are rewarded for exploration. The combat is very smooth and intuitive, the skill dodge element is a nice touch. The world is huge, the art style and graphics are pretty. Overall I have enjoyed my time in GW2 thus far and would recommend it to any who is a fan of the MMO genre.
  25. Aug 29, 2012
    Overwhelming! I've already logged over ten hours and feel like I've just scratched the surface. Gorgeous artwork - I feel like I'm actually playing a cut-scene. Character creation on all five species is amazing. And unlike the first Guild Wars, the writing here is really clever. Take time to stop and talk to the NPC's. Especially the Asura, who are downright hilarious. Even if youOverwhelming! I've already logged over ten hours and feel like I've just scratched the surface. Gorgeous artwork - I feel like I'm actually playing a cut-scene. Character creation on all five species is amazing. And unlike the first Guild Wars, the writing here is really clever. Take time to stop and talk to the NPC's. Especially the Asura, who are downright hilarious. Even if you don't do any missions, just loiter and eavesdrop. Soak up the local color, and THEN go off questing. Expand
  26. Aug 29, 2012
    THIS GAME IS THE NEXT STEP IN THE MMO GENRE, being a experience MMO player and played wow for more than 5 years with other mmos in between, I can tell this is the only game that can provide the same amount of fun I had as the first mmo ever played. The world is alive, you'll never get bored and there's always something to do!
  27. Aug 29, 2012
    - No subscription fee -
    - An ever changing PvE world -True action combat - Your level scale to zone - No more tank-healer-dps role system
    - No more grinding to level before I can start PvP - Skill based pvp where no more grinding for PvP gears so I can steam roll others or others can steam roll me because they have higher PvP rank and playing longer than me (sPvP) - Huge PvPvE world
    - No subscription fee -
    - Huge PvPvE world with myriad of different objectives (W v W v W)
    - Huge PvE maps and a lot of zones to explore

What else can you asked? This game worth every penny of your dollar spent to purchase the box.
  28. Aug 30, 2012
    Crafting still useless like another games, does not really help progression, Dynamic Event's rewards are much better than crafting stuffs. Sidekick feature is not enough, only base lvl is reduced to be matched with area level, but equipments and skills are not, still a 30 lvl character would one hit kill lvl 5 monsters. It would be better if equipments and skills are matched too, as theCrafting still useless like another games, does not really help progression, Dynamic Event's rewards are much better than crafting stuffs. Sidekick feature is not enough, only base lvl is reduced to be matched with area level, but equipments and skills are not, still a 30 lvl character would one hit kill lvl 5 monsters. It would be better if equipments and skills are matched too, as the result that would be lot of things to do because low lvl events would not be fun with overpower/lvl character. Events are good (marked with hearth icons on the map), it actually same with quest in another games, but most of them could be completed without talking to npc first. Dynamic events are great, but most of them are too difficult to be completed with public people, it need a deeper organization to finish the dynamic event successfully. Personal story is good, but nothing special. sPVP like other games. WvW is great, but the matchmaking is still bad, a server could own two servers with more than double scores. Combat is good with little actions, but still click to attack view mostly. I have not tried dungeons, but as I see on serveral videos and heard from friends same as another games dungeons (WOW, Rift, etc.). Expand
  29. Aug 30, 2012
    Great game. Some launch issues, but a better launch than many other recent games. If you want to rush through the level treadmill and do large-scale end-game raiding, this isn't your game. If you're about the journey, you'll like this game.
  30. Aug 30, 2012
    Sequel to the first and it keeps the great formula going. No subscription fee, cash shop that allows you to buy boosts for PvE and cosmetic stuff. The shop works in a way that you exchange game currency for store currency thus you can buy everything you'd want by just playing the game, no need for cash (though it is faster to do so ofcourse).
    And naturally you could also spend the money
    And naturally you could also spend the money you would normally spend on a subscription fee and get some goodies for it instead!

The main gripes I keep hearing about are no endgame PvE. Thus you get bored.
    I personally have been max level for some days now and I'm simply enjoying the crafting, getting achievements, PVP'ing and I started another class as an alt.
    The PvE is also quite good with the 5 man instances. Exploration mode is fantastic and a good challenge!

Plus with the no subscription fee you can put it aside and resume any time you want.

So far so good!
  31. Sep 28, 2012
    This game is simply incredible. It excels in just about every aspect. I have some problems, which I will explain near the end, but for now, the PROS:
    Game Play: The game play is very unique and in depth. Each weapon has different abilities for each class. A warrior with a sword will have different abilities than a ranger with a sword. One is able to use two different weapons, which allow one to pull of interesting and in depth combos. You could use an axe and horn on the ranger, allowing you to buff yourself and debuff then enemy, then switch to something like a great sword so you can charge into battle to clean up. Each race also has different racial abilities which provide a unique experience between them. As for the actual game play, it is very fast paced and exciting. For an MMO, there is plenty of action while fighting. Moving and using spells is enabled (for most spells), giving you a more exciting experience. All and all, game play is great.
    Story: Story is good. Each race has a different story and each story is unique and interesting. There really isn't much to say about this. It's a legitimate story where the feeling of urgency is imposed on you, making you aware of how important the events unraveling are.
    Art: Quite possibly the BEST looking MMO I have ever seen. The art is fantastic. Each area reflects the race said province belongs to. It could look at war-ridden and damaged, like the Charr's area, or all technical and advanced, like the Asura's area (both of which reflect the personalities and history of the races). The environments look great, the models look great, and all around everything just looks great. This game is eye-candy to its truest form.
    End Game and Loot: The end game is kind of in a weird spot, as is the loot. While there is end game and a great loot system, it doesn't really keep you as interested as does in World of Warcraft. If you are a grinding machine and just love to farm, there is a great end game for you (unlocking and creating legendary weapons). Otherwise, you might being to feel bored with what is provided. I am not considering this a con, however, because there are ways to keep yourself entertained in the end game. One could do events, earn money, engage with a guild, and much more. People tend to think that end game simply means raiding big bosses and getting the loot. In my opinion, that is not it. A good end game is an end game that keeps you entertained and happy, not one that just throws bosses and items at you until your gear lust is satisfied. CONS:
    Music: Don't get me wrong; I LOVE the new music in the game. But there's an issue. There is new music and there is reused music from the last Guild Wars games. The new music is good, but as someone who is a Guild Wars veteran, it kind of made me feel a bit sour about what was provided to me as a fan of the old game. The music is fantastic, it really is, but I've already heard it... hundreds of times... Something that is already old to me gets older. To me, it just seems lazy. PvP: Can you believe it? Guild Wars PvP is a con! But, alas, it is true. What Guild Wars 1 and it's expansions prided itself in was the PvP. That is what the game was, and still is, known for: it's incredible, in depth, and skillful PvP. However, in Guild Wars 2 the whole aspect of PvP is just lazily done and feels rather boring and unrewarding. World v World v World is fun, but it really devolves into a zerg fest as to who can get the most territory the quickest. Sure, guilds can cooperate in order to control the points, but that merely is just a more organized zerg fest that tries to get the most territory the quickest. WvWvW is fun if it's small skirmishes, but that is usually rare and generally those fights end before you even realize it. The 5v5 PvP matches aren't really zerg fests. They require more strategy and tactics. That being said, there are only four maps, all of which have the same basic principle: reach 500 points first. Each map is "kinda-sorta" different, but the general idea is still there: hold more points and get more kills, as well as attack or defend any critical events that map may have. I found myself becoming legitimately bored with the PvP very quickly.
    OVERALL: 9/10
    Fantastic game which will be sure to keep most gamers entertained. It's fun, fast paced, and enjoyable. Most people wonder this: is this game a WoW killer? Maybe not, but it's a start. I haven't had this much fun with an MMO since vanilla WoW, and that's saying a lot. This game truly stands out above all other MMOs that are out there.
  32. Aug 31, 2012
    This is the best mmo right now. Don't listen the negative review they are just a bunch of kids who lost there friends on wow and cant afford the game right now. Best graphic ever best map exploration ever best fighting style ever.
  33. Aug 31, 2012
    I'm a bit of an mmo fanatic, I tend to try out (if not purchase) nearly every major mmo release. I'm a long-time WoW player (I started on day one of release and only very recently stopped playing regularly), and I've also made my way through FFXI, Rift, SWTOR, Warhammer, FFXIV, The Secret World, Tera, and a number of others. For years I found myself returning to WoW because other games,I'm a bit of an mmo fanatic, I tend to try out (if not purchase) nearly every major mmo release. I'm a long-time WoW player (I started on day one of release and only very recently stopped playing regularly), and I've also made my way through FFXI, Rift, SWTOR, Warhammer, FFXIV, The Secret World, Tera, and a number of others. For years I found myself returning to WoW because other games, while ambitious, frequently fell down in one area or another and failed to really capture my attention. Often the graphics lacked any real art style, or the questing was repetitive or the story lacked distinction. Guild Wars 2 finally seems to have gotten it right. Unlike many games I don't get the impression that they were trying to make the next wow-killer. Rather they seemed focused on just making the most engaging game they could and it really shows. The art and graphics are beautiful and atmospheric, I often enter a new area and find myself screeching to a halt to stop and appreciate the environment. The story, while unfamiliar to me (I didn't really play GW1) seems well crafted and the personal storyline is drawing me in to this new world and making me care about characters that aren't Thrall or Jaina. I recently received a msg in my game mail in response to a completed quest that was so charming that I haven't wanted to delete it and frequently my guildmates and I are sharing snippets of npc conversation that we overhear as we travel this online world.
    As for gameplay, I'll admit that initially part of me was doubtful about doing away with the holy trinity of tank, dps and healer. But removing these set roles seems to make everyone have to focus on working together, an interesting and at times difficult challenge but it's proving to be rewarding. Being able to change up abilities by swapping weapons really helps keep combat fresh and interesting and the combo system encourages you yet again to learn how to play well with others and then rewards you substantially for doing so.
    Above all I love the questing system, I feel like my job is to go off and explore and find adventure rather than to follow a trail of breadcrumbs and perform a list of chores and that's why I play games, so I can be a big damn hero. GW2 has definitely won me over.
  34. Aug 31, 2012
    I finally figured out an analogy for why this game deserves it's critical acclaim rating, it's the iPhone of MMO's and ArenaNet is it's Apple Inc. The basic idea of most of the mechanics here in Guild Wars 2 have been done by previous games, but the incredible care and polish ArenaNet has spent the past 5 years making this game truly make it "magical".

Even ArenaNet's perceived heavy

Even ArenaNet's perceived heavy hand on exploiters and the amount of work they put into fostering a strong community around the game has a bit of Apple like strong arming on maintaining UI quality in developer apps. Where ArenaNet far surpasses the Apple comparison is the full openness ArenaNet shows in speaking with it's community directly, from developer to gamer directly on sites like Reddit.

I'm currently level 33 and I didn't even notice getting here, which is a great compliment to ArenaNet's work making Guild Wars 2 an immersive and smooth experience.

While this game is definitely not a sandbox, in many ways it feels like they've created an entire world on their own. In some ways Guild Wars 2 is even it's own alternative, if you get tired of PvE, you can jump into the massive and amazing WvWvW battles, or it's well designed structured PvP.

If you didn't like Guild Wars 1, this game is NOT Guild Wars 1, and if you did like Guild Wars 1, then play this game because it's like Team Fortress 2, Assassin's Creed, and hosts of other gameplay elements rolled in with the spirit of Guild Wars 1's gameplay goals.

If your new to MMO's, give it a shot, it's a one time payment and it's a definitely not your Dad's MMO.
  35. Aug 31, 2012
    I started Guild Wars 2 a skeptic. It looked like WoW, controlled like WoW, and follows the same basic structure that revolutionized the genre, but grew stale (for me) over the years. Comparisons to WoW are definitely fair, but somehow Guild Wars 2 makes everything fresh and fun again. The ability to instantly teleport to any waypoint you have visited is incredible. The action packedI started Guild Wars 2 a skeptic. It looked like WoW, controlled like WoW, and follows the same basic structure that revolutionized the genre, but grew stale (for me) over the years. Comparisons to WoW are definitely fair, but somehow Guild Wars 2 makes everything fresh and fun again. The ability to instantly teleport to any waypoint you have visited is incredible. The action packed combat feels like more then a numbers game. You don't just stand next to your foe exchanging blows and cycling skills. Rather, you jump and dodge, switching weapons on the fly. Colossal world bosses inhabit even the starting zones, and I love the jumping puzzles (essentially platforming segments) that inhabit hidden caves and lead to treasure. The way that higher level characters get downleveled in lower zones in brilliant. It makes it fun to run around with friends that are higher/lower level then you. When you face a boss, you both get to contribute (instead of a max level character one shotting it for you). So yes, I give this a 10. I wanted to be disappointed by this one, but I'm having a blast so far. Expand
  36. Oct 9, 2013
    A year ago i rated it 9.
    It was willing to bring some fresh air in the mmorpg panorama, no trinity, no gear grind, do whatever you like and obtain whatever you want.
    Well now this is only a fable that someone used to tell. They took their own manifesto and how-different-is-our-mmorpg-from-the-others and flush it into the wc. The ascended tier and living story brought more and more farm
    A year ago i rated it 9.
    The ascended tier and living story brought more and more farm and grind every 2 weeks. This is not the game it was supposed to be.
  37. Sep 1, 2012
    Graphics: The game is beautiful. The art design is somewhere between stylized and realistic. The worlds are rich, vibrant and full of colour. Each area seems to feel alive and full of character. If you have the PC to handle it, max out those settings, this is an exceptionally good looking game. 8/10

Sound: The music is engaging, and really fits the world. It never feels annoying or gets in the way, it just quietly hums along in the background, and adds character to the areas. Spells sound powerful, and swords sound sharp. It works very nicely. 9/10.

Story: The voice acting is touch and go. Some of the voices are brilliant, making the character feel like it has personality, however most of the time, it is poorly delivered. The personal story is a nice touch, and it does feel like this is my characters story, however I never get a sense of weight on the enemies. Some of the characters make me truly hate them for all the right reasons, others make me hate them because they are bland and annoying, or just poorly fleshed out. I have yet to feel that the world is truly in peril from the dragons, hopefully that will change further in the game, for now though, story is meh. 5/10

Combat: The combat system is fast and active. It is fun and works well. Each class only has access to 10 skills at any one time, and while this allows for a lot of variety in builds, however as you're only using a few skills at any one time with the remainder being situational, it ends up feeling repetitive, I guess it is meant to fit in with the fast paced nature combat that they were going for, but it falls kind of flat. No skills require you to remain static while casting them, and keeping on the move is important to stay alive. Targeting can be a pain as the game seems to want you to focus on the nearest enemy, even if you have locked on to someone, it will sometimes switch. 7/10.

Crafting: I love crafting in games, it's one of my favorite things to do. The crafting system in Guild Wars 2 is excellent! You have to gather raw materials such as wood and scraps of cloth, refine them into usable items, like wooden planks and spools of string, then use the refined ingredients to make items. It makes sense, and it's fun. You also get experience from it! I cannot fault the crafting, so 10/10.

Bugs: During my time with the game, I personally have not experienced any issues, however this is not the case for all. My Girlfriend gets random crashes with no real indication as to why. It appears that the game is not as optimized as it should be, as we both run fairly spec heavy machines, hers being more powerful than mine, which makes even less sense as to why she is having problems and I am not. Nothing that has happened was game breaking though. 8/10.

Questing: The game really shines here. It feels like you are in control of where you want your adventure to take you, not the game holding your hand. It is fun to just say "Hey, what's over there?" and go. There is always something happening, and something to discover. Exploration is rewarding, and events are placed perfectly. The game guides you through interesting terrain and landmarks, rather than just saying "Go here, do this".

The events that happen do get repetitive after a while, so it looses marks here, but otherwise it is a brilliant system. 9/10

Multiplayer: I really hope this is just new game blues but MAN is it hard to group up with your friends. If one of you is in an overflow server, it can be near impossible to join together. That aside, the rest of it is fine. Players come together naturally due to the design of quests. You're rarely playing alone, and it is nice. 7/10 (Only due to the friends issue)

So, all up, this is a wonderful game. It's beautiful, gives a sense of adventure, and is all around fun. It's really let down by the story and voice acting, though neither of those are necessary for enjoying the game. Overall score: 8/10
  38. Sep 4, 2012
    Do not buy this game if you are looking for a deep MMO to play long term, that certainly is not what this game is. This game is a decent game for about a month of PvE play. The dynamic events are not dynamic at all, there is absolutely no end game content at all. You can get all the best gear in about a day or two of level 80 play, and after that there is nothing more the strive for. ThereDo not buy this game if you are looking for a deep MMO to play long term, that certainly is not what this game is. This game is a decent game for about a month of PvE play. The dynamic events are not dynamic at all, there is absolutely no end game content at all. You can get all the best gear in about a day or two of level 80 play, and after that there is nothing more the strive for. There is no carrot and nothing to progress. The game play is shallow at best. In PvP all your abilities feel like they are lagged, however this is by design as Arenanet wants you to be able to Dodge roll away from attacks so they put a delay on nearly every ability, which ends up making the combat feel slow and laggy. If you are looking for a quality long term MMO, then definitely stick with World of Warcraft, your money is far better spent there. Expand
  39. Sep 5, 2012
    This quote from the Manifesto video doomed this game IMO:

This quote from the Manifesto video doomed this game IMO:

"... in Guild Wars 2, it's your world. It's your story. You affect things around you in a very permanent way." "You are rescuing a village, that will stay rescued." I'll come right out and say it... Naaah. Not a chance, it's the same old, same old, never ending loop of quests. They have not come up with any solution for personalizing an entire MMO world to the player. Their main claim to revolutionary game design was a complete fabrication. That alone heavily drops the score for me. Secondly, the event system is very, very repetitive. Just as repetitive as any other MMO to date. They change who you are fighting, what you are fetching, what you are wiping off walls, and where you are, but you are still defending, fetching, and wiping just to move on and do it all over. Lastly, the personal story is level based so you must, MUST grind out on things that have no story, or a very weak on if any, in order to get to the meat of the story in the game. Bad design, personal story must level with the character so they can always progress. That right there made me stop playing because I was not going to WOW grind to get to play and enjoyable single player experience. Oh and don't try grouping with too many people because the overload servers can't keep parties on the same servers. Overall, Guild Wars 2 Is like a bargain bin CD of a bunch of niche MMO's. 50 classic games for $60, but really nothing in it to separate it from the competition and the lack of a goal makes it hard to press on.
  40. Sep 6, 2012
    This is a game for kids. Quests are so stupid, and your character seems like a body with a doolish head. No interaction needed with other players... everybody rush on "dynamics" events, you don't see anything and you do not need any skills to win the event... absolutly deplorable. World vs World is unplayable, and battlegrounds are boring. This is ver yfar from the revolution they annoncedThis is a game for kids. Quests are so stupid, and your character seems like a body with a doolish head. No interaction needed with other players... everybody rush on "dynamics" events, you don't see anything and you do not need any skills to win the event... absolutly deplorable. World vs World is unplayable, and battlegrounds are boring. This is ver yfar from the revolution they annonced ! Maybe F2P players like it.. I really don't understand this score... Expand
  41. Sep 6, 2012
    The so-called dynamic events just repeats over and over, with no real difference in winning or failing the event, usually you are surrounded by lot of other players so you can simply press auto-attack key and go afk. Perhaps the game is good in pvp, but for the pve part it's nothing a real pve fan will play.
  42. Sep 7, 2012
    (Skip to 3rd paragraph for the actual review of the game)

(Skip to 3rd paragraph for the actual review of the game)

Basically this review is coming from an experienced gamer who hasn't had much experiences with mmos. Even though I'm only 19, I've been playing games since I was about 6. I've read about a few mmos here and there. People tried to get me to play World of Warcraft, and honestly it didn't look fun. (Some people will hate the comment I know...) Really the only mmo I ever played a lot of was Runescape. Honestly that was alright, but basically I used it as a time waster ( And a time waster it is..) because of its accessibility as a browser based game. I also tried SWTOR but only played for the first 2 weeks of my 3 month membership.

Overall I have not been too impressed with the mmo genre... That is until I watched some people playing the beta of this game. I started watching content about Guild Wars 2 out of pure boredom a week before release. As a gamer I tend to keep up with games that are being released. The minute I saw the game on a small iphone screen I couldn't stop thinking about it. The next thing you know I watched probably 20+ videos in that week and couldn't even touch a game I was so excited for it. I didn't even know there was a Guild Wars 1 and something about Guild Wars 2 just "mesmer"ized me (Hah Guild Wars humor). I quickly preordered it and had my friends do the same. They don't like mmos either and I told them I'd pay them back if it was bad that's how confident I was this would be a huge success.

Then came the release day, as soon as I was able I picked up the game and began its lengthy install. I was shocked at the 4-5gig patch especially since I have a 10 gig internet cap but it didn't bother me. I just told my parents I'd cover the internet bill (Which will be huge this month). Finally it was installed. I logged into my registered account and was taken to the character creation screen. I made my first character a Human Engineer. I was extremely impressed with the detail of the character creator. It was on par with one of my favorite series, The Elder Scrolls. The opening cinematic was also just as good. I thought this is finally what I've been waiting to see, an mmo with console like features. Already I fell in love with the story and I hadn't even played. Once that cinematic ended however, I literally became absorbed into my tv screen. I played for maybe 2 hours straight and it felt like 15 minutes that's how much fun I was having. I told my brother who was also playing, why couldn't we have wasted the summer on this instead of Diablo 3. Guild Wars 2 is one of the most impressive games I've played in a long time. The world feels full, characters are alive, events occur when I'm not around, people are generally pretty respectful, the stories flow, the graphics are amazing, combat is responsive, leveling is at a nice pace, the scaling is amazing, and aside from a few launch issues and small bugs and inconveniences, this game is just fun. That is the best word I can use to describe this game, is fun. I haven't felt this addicted to a game since Fallout 3. I am impressed on what the delivers delivered to the gaming world. I hope this game earns the success it deserves. Oh and by the way my friends love it. (Phew!)

Good luck on your adventures! and if you haven't bought it yet you're missing out! :D
  43. Sep 12, 2012
    It's the first time in many years I had that much fun playing a video game! It's not that new, but it's so refreshing! With all the dynamic events, the view points that requires some jumping here and there, points of interests, crafting and gathering. Everything is fun and worth doing in any zones! You always get xp and challenge! It's always different.
    Best game for me in the 5 years
  44. Sep 23, 2012
    The game is amazing in my own opinion. The graphics are spot on and the visual schemes are amazing. I am still playing and i feel so immersed. Besides the PvE which i can go meh at sometimes (compared to many other mmo's where the pve is just BLAH), it rescues itself in PVP. It is legendary in that aspect. I'll admit although that the story lines somewhat branch off to random places butThe game is amazing in my own opinion. The graphics are spot on and the visual schemes are amazing. I am still playing and i feel so immersed. Besides the PvE which i can go meh at sometimes (compared to many other mmo's where the pve is just BLAH), it rescues itself in PVP. It is legendary in that aspect. I'll admit although that the story lines somewhat branch off to random places but the new story lines that they introduce are so immersible that I didn't really give a care. The branching story lines was great and the crafting system is truly a new change in the mmo concept and will mark the beginning of evolution of mmo's. Sometimes the bosses are so hard and make you so irritated but they motivate you to keep trying! The game is A BIG ASS PARTY. Not one party, a huge ass one lol. You can also frequently change weapons so, you get 5 skills per weapon set which makes 10 skills but this requires revolutional which weapon to choose at an certain time unlike those people who complain. This brings about a whole new system of balance. For instance, i can go Dagger and Dagger mage to do single target DPS or i can go staff to provide aoe cover and viable support to my team. All classes are balanced in their own unique ways! To be honest i didn't know what class to choose at first since i loved them all so much and that none of them were op, all of them had their own pros and cons and were all perfectly balanced. This one mmo actually had you think and plot plans instead of going in to the middle and blasting everything away with a huge aoe skill or with op items. This is why when u go to a low level place on the map, they scale you down in order to provide a challenge and make so many things so entertaining! Collapse
  45. Sep 13, 2012
    I followed the creation and production of Guild Wars 2 for the past three years, and I have to say it has lived up to and even surpassed my greatest expectations. I love this game, from the gorgeous artistry in every detail, to the way gameplay is so seamless you progress without meaning to, to the masterfully executed storytelling that truly makes you feel important, a direct force in anI followed the creation and production of Guild Wars 2 for the past three years, and I have to say it has lived up to and even surpassed my greatest expectations. I love this game, from the gorgeous artistry in every detail, to the way gameplay is so seamless you progress without meaning to, to the masterfully executed storytelling that truly makes you feel important, a direct force in an actually, really, truly epic fight to save the world. Arenanet has been brilliant the whole time, by the way. They've done a most commendable job in communicating with and paying attention to their fans/playerbase on a refreshingly personal level. 10/10, 5 stars, two thumbs up, and a standing ovation. Expand
  46. Sep 13, 2012
    This is one of the finest games I have ever played. It succeeds in all areas that I care about in an MMO. It is fun to play by myself and interact with other people I don't know and its also fun to play with friends you know. You can play with any of your friends thanks to the downleveling system which I think is an awesome idea. The world is beautiful and charters look great, the storyThis is one of the finest games I have ever played. It succeeds in all areas that I care about in an MMO. It is fun to play by myself and interact with other people I don't know and its also fun to play with friends you know. You can play with any of your friends thanks to the downleveling system which I think is an awesome idea. The world is beautiful and charters look great, the story quests are also great in my opinion, its the only MMO I have ever played that has made me care about the story in any way shape or form. All around an amazing MMO and no subscription fees! It doesnt get much better than this for $60 if you ask me. Expand
  47. Sep 16, 2012
    Like WoW in its time, Guild Wars 2 borrows the finer aspects of its predecessors, but also blends in enough variety and freshness to give it the edge we always craved from the "WoW killer" MMORPG. Stylistically, it feels like what a Final Fantasy MMO should've been, but with the technical crispness of WoW's best moments, strong world PvP like Dark Age of Camelot, and world group eventsLike WoW in its time, Guild Wars 2 borrows the finer aspects of its predecessors, but also blends in enough variety and freshness to give it the edge we always craved from the "WoW killer" MMORPG. Stylistically, it feels like what a Final Fantasy MMO should've been, but with the technical crispness of WoW's best moments, strong world PvP like Dark Age of Camelot, and world group events such as those found in Rift.

Incredibly, the PvE aspects are as good as any game I've played, which I felt was a huge shortcoming of the original Guild Wars. Granted, I'm only a short way through the plotline, but the way it's going I don't think I'll be bored with any aspect of the game any time soon: whether multiplayer or solo, against players or monsters, questing or crafting or simply exploring the rich game world, everything in GW2 scintillates.

This game rules. Buy it, play it, love it, tell your friends, and don't forget to go outside once in a while...
  48. Sep 23, 2012
    Really funny game! I already spend 300 hs on it and don't regret buying it. Some times the non-story-quest get really boring(but it always happen in all MMOs). For me this game has four strong points: -It encourages you to explore the world
    -If people help you in a quest is really helpful and not annoying like in others MMO
    -No monthly fee, Play whenever you want without guiltiness
    -No monthly fee, Play whenever you want without guiltiness
    -And the best it's the WvWvW and PvP, really really addictive
  49. Sep 29, 2012
    Masterpiece of an MMO-RPG game. Let me start by saying I'm not a fanboy of GW or Arenanet, nor I'm a person that takes sides first before critically thinking, or devotes himself to a product/idea/politics, etc etc before having an objective analysis. I'm simply extremely happy with this game and I praise Arenanet (a company unknown to me before this) for what they have accomplished here.Masterpiece of an MMO-RPG game. Let me start by saying I'm not a fanboy of GW or Arenanet, nor I'm a person that takes sides first before critically thinking, or devotes himself to a product/idea/politics, etc etc before having an objective analysis. I'm simply extremely happy with this game and I praise Arenanet (a company unknown to me before this) for what they have accomplished here. GW2 is better in almost everysingle aspect than any other MMO out there right now. Their PvP, Classes, Dungeons, Combat (TERA might arguably be better), inventory, UI, questing, Storyline (SWTOR was equally as good), itemization, gathering, community (oh boy, this is the best part), side-dishes (things to do extra), crafting, graphics, major cities.....(I could go on for a while), are far superior and well done than their competition (WoW). All this put together, gives the player a sense of adventure, challenge, journey, community, and above all Epicness. This is something that a lot of MMOs are losing (WoW spearheading the idea) in favor of faster, easier on demand mindless GRIND. I can't simply understand how Blizzard has the face to charge their customer $15/month for their junk, after watching what Arenanet did with this game, it's even more unbelievable is the fact that people would still pay for it. Bottom line, this game is as good as it gets in MMOs, and best part is that I see Arenanet very much involved in listening their customers and taking the game in the right direction. Expand
  50. Sep 25, 2012
    I waited yers for this game to come out and truth to be told it was its trailer that made me try Guild Wars 1 which I played for some ammount of time. This game really did live up to expectations, the gameplay is really fluid thanks to the way the combat is designed for movement while fighting making you able to dodge, roll, jump, etc out of the way of damage while making your attacks inI waited yers for this game to come out and truth to be told it was its trailer that made me try Guild Wars 1 which I played for some ammount of time. This game really did live up to expectations, the gameplay is really fluid thanks to the way the combat is designed for movement while fighting making you able to dodge, roll, jump, etc out of the way of damage while making your attacks in turn while they very interestingly added something similar to a special attack you can build up by attacking. Your attack skills are earned by using the weapon of choice which change depending on the weapons you have on you, this essentially gets rid of the annoying "level up to get that skill!" and making it more versatile and practical by making you unlock the skills through fighting rather than waiting for each level up to earn something. Another great thing is the cooperative gameplay that makes it that as long as you contribute you get exp. so that makes it impossible for people to steal exp, monsters or loot while everyone can revive you AND heal themselves, so you'd group only to see your friends on the map. The graphics are very beautiful and even with my medium end pc I can't quite completely max everything with the ammount of details everywhere. To this I will also that it's kind of interesting how castles, mountains and whatnot LOOK like paintings. The story of the game will very very very different for each person as it changes depending on your choices as well as you character's back story. It's really a hell of a game, I feel as if every penny that I payed should have been dollars because it really is such a magnificent game that I think I payed less than I should have. Great job Arenanet, it REALLY was worth the wait. Expand
  51. Sep 26, 2012
    Fun and innovative in the sense that you level up quickly without realizing that your doing it. Combat is fast paced and smooth, graphics are beautifully done, and over all game play is extremely enjoyable.
  52. Sep 26, 2012
    I am really enjoying Guild Wars 2. I gave the game a 9 because there are some areas that the game still needs improvement. Overall though, the game is well worth the $60 price tag. Plenty of character customization, interesting races, beautiful landscapes and a surprisingly fun leveling process. For a buy to play game, this game definitely has plenty of content to keep you busy. One wordI am really enjoying Guild Wars 2. I gave the game a 9 because there are some areas that the game still needs improvement. Overall though, the game is well worth the $60 price tag. Plenty of character customization, interesting races, beautiful landscapes and a surprisingly fun leveling process. For a buy to play game, this game definitely has plenty of content to keep you busy. One word of advice, do not rush your way through to 80 but take your time going through the zones. No need to worry about out leveling the area you are in because you will be down leveled so the game is challenging regardless of where you are playing. The Dynamic Events are fun and they do scale depending on how many others are participating them. The reason I didn't give the game a perfect score is because there are some problems with rewards and a little thing called Diminishing Returns. Some of personal stories could use some work as well. But for a brand new game that has just come out, these flaws can be mostly overlooked. ArenaNet is constantly working on improving the game and communicate with players on their forums.

I am greatly looking forward to seeing how this game develops in the future.
  53. Sep 27, 2012
    Before the game came out I worried that it was over-hyped and that Anet couldn't possibly deliver everything they said they could, but they did! I've been glued to this game since getting it a couple weeks ago. In other games, after an hour or so of questing, I'd start to get bored and need a break but I didn't have that happen in GW2. After doing heart events for a little bit, aboutBefore the game came out I worried that it was over-hyped and that Anet couldn't possibly deliver everything they said they could, but they did! I've been glued to this game since getting it a couple weeks ago. In other games, after an hour or so of questing, I'd start to get bored and need a break but I didn't have that happen in GW2. After doing heart events for a little bit, about the time boredom would normally set in, I'd start looking for vistas or do some gathering and then all of a sudden some huge event will kick off, like a world boss or something. Next thing you know you've just lost hours playing and you're ready for some more heart events or story quests. The world just feels alive and like there's always something happening. Seriously, one of the best games I've played in years! Expand
  54. Sep 27, 2012
    So far I'm really enjoying GW 2. I do wish that my character's movement was a little more fluid. Sometimes it's feels like I'm moving a tank around the screen, but nevertheless, GW 2 is a move in the right direction for an otherwise tired genre, and the fact that's it's f2p makes me question how much money another major mmo has been taking from me in the form of sub fees, but thanks toSo far I'm really enjoying GW 2. I do wish that my character's movement was a little more fluid. Sometimes it's feels like I'm moving a tank around the screen, but nevertheless, GW 2 is a move in the right direction for an otherwise tired genre, and the fact that's it's f2p makes me question how much money another major mmo has been taking from me in the form of sub fees, but thanks to GW2, I have cancelled that subscription for good! Visuals: 10
    Gameplay: 8
    Lasting Appeal: 10
    Overall Value: 10
  55. Sep 27, 2012
    I Loved the game, excellent quests, unique combat and even has a separate story quest line. However, the love for this game quickly died when i started doing dungeons. The fun, reward, and sense of purpose for GW2's dungeons is one of the biggest fails I've experienced in any MMO and by far the worst mechanics. However due to not having a holy trinity i don't think they would be able toI Loved the game, excellent quests, unique combat and even has a separate story quest line. However, the love for this game quickly died when i started doing dungeons. The fun, reward, and sense of purpose for GW2's dungeons is one of the biggest fails I've experienced in any MMO and by far the worst mechanics. However due to not having a holy trinity i don't think they would be able to properly recover from this fiasco, so i got a refund. If you want this game i would avoid dungeons till they are patched. Expand
  56. Sep 27, 2012
    Truly loving this game. I decided the second I saw it that I would buy this game and was not disappointed in the slightest. I have been playing WoW for 6 years. I am glad in a way that Mists of Pandaria is so terribly childish, given me more time to play GW2.

I love the PvP and cant wait for more battlefields to be added. Server vs Server PvP is a lot of fun and a cool thing to be brought into MMOs. I enjoy the constant struggle to keep another realm from dominating. I love reactive things, so this fit well for me.

I absolutely love the art work and it doesn't bog down my aging comp, which is a bonus. The armor sets are truly epic!
  57. Sep 29, 2012
    This game is genre defining. It really sets the bar for everything coming up next. The quest system is fantastic, unlike any other mmorpg on the market, the classes are filled with possibilities and you never feel trapped into a system or "cookie cutter builds" that degrade the experience. Not to mention the great graphics, incredible soundtrack, colourful characters filled withThis game is genre defining. It really sets the bar for everything coming up next. The quest system is fantastic, unlike any other mmorpg on the market, the classes are filled with possibilities and you never feel trapped into a system or "cookie cutter builds" that degrade the experience. Not to mention the great graphics, incredible soundtrack, colourful characters filled with personality, giant dragons to lay down... I know it may sound childish, but this game is full of win. This was the MMO we've all been waiting for. If you haven't played it yet, just go and get it. Expand
  58. Sep 29, 2012
    So I just read some red reviews like "I hated it before I played it" and I notice that people are not satisfied because the game is more for casual players with no intention to play a year to achieve a fully playable character. I noticed more than once that the problem is mostly that the game does not support the I'm being better than you style, but you guys forget something - that is notSo I just read some red reviews like "I hated it before I played it" and I notice that people are not satisfied because the game is more for casual players with no intention to play a year to achieve a fully playable character. I noticed more than once that the problem is mostly that the game does not support the I'm being better than you style, but you guys forget something - that is not the targeted player base. It is a pay once game, so why the heck they should bind players for long term like monthly fee mmos? As also I will clear something up - not everyone is interested in graphics - and for a mmo this is awesome... I started playing with Anarchy Online - yeah there where games before WoW (I never understand why someone play that game) and to all those crying - calm down and play a game not 10 years old and then we talk again about gameplay and graphics. It is like with everything - human are never satisfied for long term, but this game is just better than everything else out there if you consider you just pay the price for a normal AAA game with 6-10 hours playtime and NO monthly fee. You dont get it right? There is absolutely nothing you can say against this game if you keep that in mind. Expand
  59. Oct 1, 2012
    I've personally been waiting for a game like this for a long time. The freedom to level how you wish is phenomenal. Being an artist though, the art direction is what pulls me in the most. This game is beautiful. I'm not saying that the graphics have to be "uber current" with today's technology, but just that it has a focused consistent appeal with it's design and personality. The races areI've personally been waiting for a game like this for a long time. The freedom to level how you wish is phenomenal. Being an artist though, the art direction is what pulls me in the most. This game is beautiful. I'm not saying that the graphics have to be "uber current" with today's technology, but just that it has a focused consistent appeal with it's design and personality. The races are really refreshing too, all of them, (less so with the humans) bring something new to the stereotypical races seen today in MMORPGs. The story may not pull me in quite as powerfully as say SWTOR, but WAY more than WOW. Don't get me wrong I actually play and enjoy all three, it's just that I still find myself attracted to GW2 the most even though MOP is fun. But I can only compare these three MMO's as they are the only ones I've ever played. Coming from a background of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, Age of Mythology, Unreal Tournament, Borderlands, Fable, Titan Quest, Warcraft III, and some other A+ titles, I have high standards for a games lore, and that is why WoW pulled me right in. But since I tend to swing back and forth between gaming moods for the slower pace of RPGs and the frenetic action of FPSs, I've been waiting for a game that has a good balance of both. That's where GW2's pulled me in. It's PvP has all I have been waiting for as the mechanics and level of freedom flow with the fluid controls and animations of your character. While in WoW I could never shake the feeling of controlling an agile paper doll, in SWOTOR I felt like I was trying to manipulate a stiff action figure. In GW2 my character actually controls much closer to the living being that I want as my character in an MMO or any game for that matter. It's simply refreshing to have that feeling while playing. My other biggest draw to this game was the limited number of skills to use, yes "limited". Having so many buttons to push and keep track of for skills always hindered my ability to stay immersed in whatever I was doing in-game. So maybe I'm not hardcore, but when I play a "game" I want it to be a game and not a "job". So having fewer abilities actually creates a nice balance for me, while it did not dumb down all the theory crafting I enjoy too. So in short this MMO offers something different and different in a very good way for gamers today. As a veteran gamer GW2 has firmly planted itself alongside WoW and all the other AAA games that have been my favorite franchises and IP's. Expand
  60. Oct 1, 2012
    It's my new main MMO. I'm a casual player, meaning I have a life outside of the game. Working 40+ hrs a week along with my hubby and child. I don't feel pressured to play the game to get my moneys worth. Questing known as hearts are still the same as any other MMO but hides it with a new way by giving options of what you want to do. No longer having to kill 50 lizards just for a smallIt's my new main MMO. I'm a casual player, meaning I have a life outside of the game. Working 40+ hrs a week along with my hubby and child. I don't feel pressured to play the game to get my moneys worth. Questing known as hearts are still the same as any other MMO but hides it with a new way by giving options of what you want to do. No longer having to kill 50 lizards just for a small pecentage of experience and repeat. DE is just wow, just wow. No more griefing over others taking my kills or resorces. Expand
  61. Oct 11, 2012
    Because of the pricetag, Guild Wars was a title which I returned to many times. It was a cycle of death and rebirth which ended in misery each time it played out. This was due to the fact that Guild Wars was a mouse heavy, Asian MMO, and had the UI of a generation 1 RPG. It was unwieldy, grindy, and made you work to experience the story. This is, of course, the exact opposite of Arena Net
  62. Oct 15, 2012
    This game loses it's luster VERY fast. I had no reason to get to the end game (Which is 80 levels of doing "Grind Free" questing). I got a character to level 58. I started losing interest around level 50. My character has around 30 moves, all on short cool down, but they all generally do the same thing. Apply an effect, knock back, increase attack speed. Boring. Also, the whole gimmick onThis game loses it's luster VERY fast. I had no reason to get to the end game (Which is 80 levels of doing "Grind Free" questing). I got a character to level 58. I started losing interest around level 50. My character has around 30 moves, all on short cool down, but they all generally do the same thing. Apply an effect, knock back, increase attack speed. Boring. Also, the whole gimmick on how there's no grinding is complete bull. The only thing end game is, is grinding to get cooler looking gear. You have to run dungeons THOUSANDS of times to get full dungeon sets, and don't get me even started on the ridiculous difficulty of dungeons. Also, Arenanet advertising heavily on a "role-less" game is a complete lie as well. You HAVE to have a tank, a designated healer, etc. in order to survive in these stupidly difficult dungeons. The story is rather lame, and the quests all start feeling the same. The world is nice looking, but I noticed repeats in designs and looks, the areas aren't varied very well and I got bored very fast of the style pretty fast as well. Also, anyone who thinks this game revolutionized questing is delusional, they just cover up the questing by making it an area where you can quest instead of having to turn it in. W v W is alright, but you can only do well if you have a solid in take of money, since the seige equipment costs lots of currency. This game was fun for about a month, which is all it needs to get a good review from most people (most people stop playing after that long anyways....) while you need to put in a LOT more time than that to get to the "end game". Expand
  63. Oct 16, 2012
    /age : You have played 242 hours played across all characters.

/age : You have played 242 hours played across all characters.

My first "mmo" was the original Guild Wars, I loved it from the first moment I started playing and I continued to play it for almost 5 years. When I started to loose interest in GW I tried out other mmo's but none could capture my interest long enough to warrant a subscription beyond the second month. Among them: WoW, Lotro, Conan, Tabula Rasa, Rift.
    I came to a decision then to ignore subscription based mmo's as I really hated the feeling that I was wasting my money when I was not playing.

I tried GW2 first during the beta weekends, I was shocked to see how different it felt from the original GW and I must admit it did not convince me at first, it felt more like the other "classic" mmo's and I felt overwhelmed by all the content and lost, unsure what to do or what was happening.
    Still, I put my trust in the dev team that brought me the original GW which I loved so much, closed my eyes and pushed that prepurchase button.
    When the game launched I took 2 weeks off from work to indulge in some good old gaming marathon (much more modest now since the wife and the baby ;-) ).

It took me about 3-4 days learning to play the game, starting from running around like a headless chicken, rolling from one event to the next. Once I understood the basics of the game and the various reward systems it all fell in place for me, my trust in the dev team paid off. Now I am completely hooked, for the first time in 5 years I am again completely hooked to a game.

things I like
    - the distinct pve areas, each with it's own setting (forest, snowy, desert,..) it's own story and special events
    - the downleveling makes it possible to enjoy lower level area's as they were meant to be played
    - dynamic events encourages players to fight together, a nice change in pace for someone like me who normally plays solo
    - trading post/auction house, gem system, you never need to buy gems with real money because you can buy it with ingame earned gold, buying and selling is simplicity - ingame goals: maxing out titles, level, crafting skills, daily achievements, monthly achievements, exploring (vista's, points of interests)
    - WvWvW, still a noob here but very thrilling, it's is basically the same as the pve areas, only there are enemy players of 2 other servers fighting in the same map, the maps are almost as big as the pve area's filled with all the same challenges (vista's, poi's, harvesting, quests and events,..) but also towers and keeps controlled by player factions that can be fortified and repaired and of course captured. You enter with your own gear but your level is boosted to max level in order to give you a fighting chance. - crafting and discovering new recipes (you will have to buy ingredients from the trading post if you don't want to grind harvesting jute, copper,...), the chef makes consumables that can be used to give time limited buffs, the tailor (and others) can make bigger bags...
    - personal story: changes by race and choices made ingame, plenty of variety to make each story different things I haven't tried yet
    - dungeons
    - guilds
    - structured PvP
    - high level (70+) areas

My current main is a level 67 guardian with 62% map completion.
    My ranger is played to become a survivor, currently level 22 and going (slowly)
    My mesmer is played to become max crafter in everything (and so also become a survivor) and sits permanently in Lion's Arch next to the mystic forge
    My engineer was the first character I made and is currently waiting for my attention stuck at level 42.
    My warrior, elementalist, necromancer and thief are still in their starting area's neglected for the moment.

Seeing how Arenanet supported the original GW, the enhancements that were added over the years, the special holiday events, I expect the same support for GW2 and I see myself enjoying at least the next 5 years playing GW2.
  64. Nov 10, 2012
    Best MMO I have played ever. It is really good. WoW fanbois dont like it, because it isnt reliant on a gear treadmill and requires skill. This game is REALLY good. I love it.
  65. Aug 29, 2012
    Absolutely superb game. It does have some issues right now with server stability etc, but what MMO doesn't on launch?
    I love the dynamic questing, really makes you feel part of the world. beautiful artistic style throughout. Can't praise it enough.
  66. Sep 17, 2013
    I like Guild Wars 2 a lot, but feel the MMO genre as a whole is losing touch with the world. There will always be a fan base and this is clear by the number of reviews. However, having played through the MMO's of years gone by I'm finding it a struggle to get through GW2. Maybe I'm just getting older and the patience reqired to climb the level ladder eludes me. It's a beautiful game and II like Guild Wars 2 a lot, but feel the MMO genre as a whole is losing touch with the world. There will always be a fan base and this is clear by the number of reviews. However, having played through the MMO's of years gone by I'm finding it a struggle to get through GW2. Maybe I'm just getting older and the patience reqired to climb the level ladder eludes me. It's a beautiful game and I applaud the creators. The combat is solid, graphics are very good, the score top draw and gameplay as near to perfection (in an MMO) as I've experienced. It is missing some basic tutorials (crafting in particular). There's logic to it but for the novice MMO player some hand holding would have been nice. GW2 is a stellar release and if MMO's are your thing it's worth you money. Having now monthly sub fees alone makes this an essential buy. Enjoy. Expand
  67. Feb 14, 2013
    This is a tacky review, sorry.
    This is a tacky review, sorry.
    THE GOOD: The aesthetics of this game are amazing. If you like looking at pretty pictures and running around a finely crafted world listening to good voice acting telling a better than average story then you are in luck. THE BAD: GW2 plays like a bunch of people who really liked playing pvp as dps classes on WoW got together and made a game. The laundry list of boons/conditions that all last half a milisecond quickly becomes meaningless spam that does not lend itself well to a game you play for hours on end (pve that is, it is great for pvp). Though overall most things about the gameplay are frantic and after a short time get filtered out. Along the same lines the constant battles when you travel anywhere get tiresome. Sorry, I liked being able to run freely through newb zones in other games without constant harassment. Hey devs, if you wanted people to play together why did you put in 80 levels? Because WoW has 80 levels? Exactly. The leveling down is a cool feature, but is forced on you like so much else in GW2. Speaking of which, not being able to assign your own weapon ability hotkeys! This throwback to when games sucked for technical limitations is inexcusable in 2012/3.
    THE UGLY: Abandoning the mmo trinity makes for a chaotic cluster#### in groups. Dungeons feel like 5 individuals who happen to be doing the same thing instead of a group working together. Along those same lines the zone/group chat on GW2 is the quietest and lamest of any mmo I have played, though maybe that was just my server. Lastly, butter. This vendor will sell me milk, cheese, sour cream, and BUTTERmilk, but if I want butter I have to go kill monsters? The asari can build portals all around the world but haven't figured out butter? Why is a cave dwelling monster man able to make butter (into perfect bars that they carry in cloth bags) but nobody at the huge crafts/artisan market in the sprawling city can? What crap.
    VERDICT: A very pretty package for a game that makes huge advances for MMOs while still managing to be a WoW clone that utterly fails at finding good solutions to MMO problems. Maybe worth a playthrough for the story in a purely solo run, but overall a bad online game.
  68. Dec 2, 2012
    This is never going to be your primary MMO unless your a student maybe. The lack of a subscription is nice meaning that you can keep it on a back burner just in case you want to play it one day. The launch went well with less bugs than normal and the graphics are pretty enough. However, boy does this get tedious fast. For once, its not the quests that make it dull but the combat. I haveThis is never going to be your primary MMO unless your a student maybe. The lack of a subscription is nice meaning that you can keep it on a back burner just in case you want to play it one day. The launch went well with less bugs than normal and the graphics are pretty enough. However, boy does this get tedious fast. For once, its not the quests that make it dull but the combat. I have tried a couple of different classes so far but they share one thing. Click target hit attack then repetetively hit one button (maybe 2 if you can be arsed) over and over. So many characters all the same as you wander around that it should be renamed clone world. This really kills the game for me. The skill tree just doesn't have diversity and the drip feeding of rewards is not satisfying enough. Compare this a game with much more diverse character development like Rift for an example of what is better. This is a new MMO. Massive Mediocrity Online. Nothing to detest here, but may as well move along because there is nothing to see here either. Expand
  69. Sep 9, 2012
    Its a good Casual Game, with great PvP. But it is NOT the best MMORP of the last Years. The story is lame and presents acts thrown together, Events seem to have nothing like quests ( kill XY 90% of the Events) still to often as a Hack & Slay ( more then 3 Players at a Event)
    There are many other examples where you realize that it's just standard, only the PvP is great! But it is Guild Wars, I expected this.
    My Score ist 8.5 /10
  70. Aug 29, 2012
    What is there to say? It's a lovingly crafted, very fun game. There's constantly things to do and joys to find, and yet no monthly fee. Beautiful, engaging, often hilarious and full of wit. The devs are hard not to love for what they've created here.
  71. Sep 11, 2014
    I am changing my original score for an up to date score. I have put in over 1500 hours into this game which is the most time I have ever invested in a mmorpg so I think GW2 deserves a really really good score.
    Some Good Points
    Some Good Points
    Beautiful graphics Good character creation, the ability to change your character hairstyles and other cosmetic stuff can be bought from cash shop which is ok by me.

Interesting and alive world with funny NPC's having funny conversations.
    Achievements are fun and rewarding.

Lovely and feminine armours. Being able to dye my armours is such a bonus and the new system of once you buy an armour that skin is unlocked for all your characters is really fantastic! BEST THING EVER!! Of course you have to buy the transmutation token things to change your skins but again I can live with that!
    Armours are made from different fabrics which show colours differently when they are dyed. Such great attention to detail from the artists in this game. There are hundreds of dyes to unlock and they are cheap and easy to obtain and are unlocked account wide. Each dye looks slightly different based on what material your armour is made from. It gives you the opportunity for a lot of experimenting with colours and fabrics and each armour can look so different depending on the colours you use. I have never seen an mmo use this system- it is fantastic!!!

The open world events are a great way to level up collect loot. Your character feels really powerful when you are levelling, I love that and I love some of the fun skills you have with each class. Like electricity for mage, bombs for engineer, cutie pie pets for ranger, Mesmers and their mirror images and the love hearts and pink effects everywhere, a girl gamers paradise!

You are not limited by your level in open world questing. I like the way the achievements work and the chests of reward everything so often.
    Crafting is nice and easy and levels well. It’s great to craft stuff to gear up my own character with and sell too.

Map Exploration is a lot of fun with events and loot. Anet seems to be on the ball with updates and improvements, new armours and weapon skins.

The Not So Good

The story in this game is pretty meh, not much excitement level. For each character I created I played the story up to about level 60 just for the odd chest key you sometimes get as a reward. I never got the chance to finish my personal story as for the very last story you need a well trained and equipped group. We tried one night and wiped out so badly, my husband and I decided to watch the ending on YouTube. I'm not sure having a storyline that you can play solo all the way to 80 and then forcing you into a group suddenly is the way to go, at least not for me and my tastes.

The Bad

For me this would be the dungeons. As you level you get a series of invitations to go and do various story dungeons. The first arrives just before level 40 I believe. However if you make the mistake to pop along and join a dungeon using the dungeon finder you might find yourself at the mercy of dungeon elitists who will either see you there and leave the group, kick you out or politely tell you that the dungeons really are too difficult for low levels and to wait until you are level 80 and geared in exotic stuff. I actually did wait and ended up doing many dungeons with many types of players and some of whom were much lower level than 80 to find that yes, groups with lower level players would wipe and very often too. It would be disheartening and a struggle and unnecessarily stressful. It certainly makes me wonder why the dungeons are opened to low levels at all when they are exceedingly way too hard for all but the most experienced. Of course in my time learning the dungeons (a steep learning curve it is too for someone with mostly PVE background) I met many nasty, impatient, rude people who just wanted to rush through the content, skipping mobs and leaving the less experienced to die and respawn over and over or to be kicked out by other group members. Of course there are some SAINTS doing those dungeons who you might be lucky enough to get teamed with, but for every one of those there of plenty of the other type. Behaviour of players is obviously not strictly monitored or policed and you can really tell this in the course of a month of doing dungeons every day.

So for the more genteel, soft of heart or just light hearted players out there I would recommend giving that aspect of GW2 a miss.

Its got so much going for it though I would say buy this game and play it and enjoy the parts that make you happy. That's what I do.

(Anet I removed 1 point from your perfect score as the abuse and nastiness going on in the dungeons is really unpleasant)
  72. Aug 31, 2012
    Easily the best MMORPG I've played since Pre-BC WoW. The only things missing are no FOV slider (which would really help to show off the beautiful world Arena Net made), no camera zoom out distance option, the zoom out distance is pretty low and it can cause headaches for some. Class balance issues are also a small problem which will for sure be balanced out in the next few months so it'sEasily the best MMORPG I've played since Pre-BC WoW. The only things missing are no FOV slider (which would really help to show off the beautiful world Arena Net made), no camera zoom out distance option, the zoom out distance is pretty low and it can cause headaches for some. Class balance issues are also a small problem which will for sure be balanced out in the next few months so it's not really a big deal. The good parts of the game is everything else. The combat is all skill based, where you have to swap between weapon sets, use your dodges at the appropriate times, and be careful of which skills you choose to use at certain times. The world is MASSIVE, the biggest i've ever seen in a game. There are also tons of incentives and rewards for exploring it which is amazing. There is no end game, as the end game is all throughout the game as events, which are incredible fun, especially if you have a group of friends to level together with. The zones all look gorgeous and highly detailed. Your personal story also has tons of choice with consequences based on your choices as well. The skill points and trait skills are all based on personal preference, and there is no cookie cutter build. You build your class however you want to build him. The cash shop is interesting, in the fact that it's all cosmetics or some minor bonuses. The minor bonuses can also be found in the world as well. You don't even have to pay money for the cash shop as you can actually convert gold you earned in game for the in game cash shop currency. Overall, the game is easily a solid 9 for me and it's for sure going to be my choice MMORPG for a longgggg time. If you are sick of WoW and your typical WoW style cookie cutter mmo's this will be a huge breath of fresh air for you. Expand
  73. Dec 3, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 was my last MMORPG. The meaning of a MMORPG is progession, progression gets you too keep playing. I can now say, as I've had a lvl 80 for just about as long as the game has been released that progressions ends when you reach lvl 80. The Graphics: They are decent for an MMORPG, but it's very bad optimized. I've changed my old gaming desktop out for a completly new one and I seeGuild Wars 2 was my last MMORPG. The meaning of a MMORPG is progession, progression gets you too keep playing. I can now say, as I've had a lvl 80 for just about as long as the game has been released that progressions ends when you reach lvl 80. The Graphics: They are decent for an MMORPG, but it's very bad optimized. I've changed my old gaming desktop out for a completly new one and I see no increase of FPS. The gameplay: I love how you actually need some skill to be good in this game, it's not just about the gear, but about your skill of playing. This falls apart though, because the PVP system is not very good I'd say. SPVP is a nice addition for those WHO wants completely fairplay, but where does that leave the progression? You can't get stronger, faster or better by this. In WvWvW all your progression Means nothing, because 1 man can't make any difference. The Dungeons: Not rewarding at all, I hate how it's all bout those emblems and not about what bosses actually could be dropping. I loved in WOW how I always was so excited when we were in raids. Oh yeah, raids those doesn't exist in GW2. There is also a lack of dungeons. It's all just the same, there really isn't such big difference about them. I'm giving this a 6 because of the great idea and there is no monthly subscription. It lacks of content though. As said before, reach lvl 80 and feel the pain of nothing to do. Expand
  74. Sep 3, 2012
    The game is amazing. I've put about 40 hours into it already and I haven't had a moment of doubt. Buy this game. Do not listen to any of the complainers that gave the game below a 5 or 6, or even a zero, that's retarded because this game in no possible way deserves a score like that. It is the most fun you will ever have playing an mmo
  75. Sep 4, 2012
    I am not a big MMO fan. I did play Age of Conan and LOTRO for about a year... but they could not keep my attention. The reason: some quests require a party. I don't play enough to join a guild; I just want to jump in for 30-60 mins and have fun. I have played GW2 for about 10 hours and have not had to join up with anyone. I can essentially play the game solo with group events occuringI am not a big MMO fan. I did play Age of Conan and LOTRO for about a year... but they could not keep my attention. The reason: some quests require a party. I don't play enough to join a guild; I just want to jump in for 30-60 mins and have fun. I have played GW2 for about 10 hours and have not had to join up with anyone. I can essentially play the game solo with group events occuring randomly... no need to "get organized". I really like this approach that caters to my class of gamer. Now, how well this works in high level zones with smaller populations remains to be seen... but for now I'm very pleased with my $60 purchase. Expand
  76. Sep 27, 2012
    Ok, time to finally let this drop. i tried to give them time and it was (fortunately for them) a busy month, but it wasnt enough.

Guild Wars 2 is the latest in a growing line of mmorpgs (IT IS NOT AN ACTION GAME!) that are severely over hyped and under developed. Despite all their nonsense about not releasing it "until its done" what we have is bugs across every possible system in the game. Almost asif NC Soft said "finish it up or we are not paying you" and they did. From account security (always fun having 200+ emails fill your inbox to tell you that ip addys from china are attempting to log into your account) to quests in general (there is nothing "dynamic" about scripted events sorry kids) bugs bugs bugs. Perhaps if they had done a proper beta test instead of a bunch of B/S hype generating weekends they could have fixed them before launch... but no, the AH still goes down daily, the guilds bug daily... there is nothing that isnt broken on this game!

Visually it falls short of the mark too, while they assured us it would "support dx10" LIES! the closest thing to this game is honestly AOC, both in the amount of hype concerning it, and the dismal product that got released.

Gameplay... [tab]1-2-3-4 ever heard that one? well thats all you are getting here too.

Sound- the sound is really good actually, too bad it is the LEAST important thing about a game! But hey, they atleast got something right... although its kind of stupid to be told you have been poisoned 3 min after it wears off... but again BUGS!

Over all i would give it a solid 5, meaning that this game is average in EVERY POSSIBLE WAY. It is not above average on ANY level! But seeing all the BULLS HIT 10's i am going to do the right thing and drop it. if anyone actually reads this theyll know the truth, otherwise metacritic is kind of a crap metric since it LETS B/S scores through.. even on such a MASSIVE turd such as guild wars 2.

i cant express enough what a totally disappointing turd this game is.
  77. Sep 25, 2012
    hmm worth to spend buck for this game..
    altough i aint play the first sequel but when im play GW 2 i fall in love with this game..

best graphic and story make a player enjoy play this game..
  78. Aug 29, 2012
    The most immersive mmorpg i have ever played, having played wow and many f2p ones to name a few, Combat is amazing, "questing" (dynamic events, personal storyline) is something i look forward to, never rushed. Graphic and art style is beautiful and unique, sound is great although in game music is hard to notice at times. Engine is optimized heavilly, i can run the game at 110fps on mostlyThe most immersive mmorpg i have ever played, having played wow and many f2p ones to name a few, Combat is amazing, "questing" (dynamic events, personal storyline) is something i look forward to, never rushed. Graphic and art style is beautiful and unique, sound is great although in game music is hard to notice at times. Engine is optimized heavilly, i can run the game at 110fps on mostly high dropping to the lowest 25fps on huge world pvp battles (hundreds of players onscreen) on an average system. The wow-killer is here
    guy gw2 today
  79. Aug 28, 2012
    10/10 definitely. DE's are an awesome change from the traditional questing system. Combat is more tactical, skill based and fun than any other MMO. WvWvW creates a setting for meaningful PvP. The game is one of the better looking MMO's on the market. It's got some issues atm though, traders down and the overflow system is a massive pain... but with that said, it's still a 10/10. Most fun10/10 definitely. DE's are an awesome change from the traditional questing system. Combat is more tactical, skill based and fun than any other MMO. WvWvW creates a setting for meaningful PvP. The game is one of the better looking MMO's on the market. It's got some issues atm though, traders down and the overflow system is a massive pain... but with that said, it's still a 10/10. Most fun I've had in an MMO in a very long time. Expand
  80. Aug 29, 2012
    Awesome game. Everything just falls into place. Nothing bad to say about it. I like everything from the PvE content, to the WvWvW, to the sPvP. Even crafting is exciting.
  81. Oct 3, 2012
    This isn't an mmo. It's smash brothers with a F2P "world explore" mode tacked on. You can level straight to 80 and play the real game at any time. Items and "builds" (they're a joke) don't really effect much. Pve is a gank-fest, pvp is a gank-fest. You just find a group of madness to join and blaze through. Don't go here looking for strategy, community or depth. You'd be surprised howThis isn't an mmo. It's smash brothers with a F2P "world explore" mode tacked on. You can level straight to 80 and play the real game at any time. Items and "builds" (they're a joke) don't really effect much. Pve is a gank-fest, pvp is a gank-fest. You just find a group of madness to join and blaze through. Don't go here looking for strategy, community or depth. You'd be surprised how quickly it gets old (for god sake their are jumping puzzles). It's completely different than the original Guild Wars. I give six months. Expand
  82. Aug 28, 2012
    Refreshingly beautiful and dynamic, amazing gameplay and fluid controls. Love the personal story and ability to explore Tyria's vastness. WvW is also captivating because of large scale assaults and cooperation. Friendly community in-game, partly because of game mechanics, partly because there is no frustration to be found as well.
  83. Nov 30, 2012
    Played this game for a couple of months and found that its just too buggy. Many dungeons to not work and the new fractals dungeons crash constantly (usually toward the end). The game is full of cheaters and its just a very bad game would not recommend it to anyone. Give it a year or so for them to work out the bugs and stop the blatant cheating.
  84. Aug 29, 2012
    So far, so great! it's a solid game, and a very solid MMO. I normally get burned out on MMOs fairly quickly, so it's up in the air whether the feeling will last, but all of the other MMO releases the past couple of years have just felt stagnant compared to this. It's not your typical MMO and I can understand why some people wouldn't like it because it doesn't have the traditionalSo far, so great! it's a solid game, and a very solid MMO. I normally get burned out on MMOs fairly quickly, so it's up in the air whether the feeling will last, but all of the other MMO releases the past couple of years have just felt stagnant compared to this. It's not your typical MMO and I can understand why some people wouldn't like it because it doesn't have the traditional instanced raiding, but the game pretty much delivers on everything that it says it does, so if you like what you read, give it a shot! You'll get your money's worth. Expand
  85. Sep 4, 2012
    One of those games where you can tell the artists just sat back and enjoyed themselves. They level of detail to areas shows that the designers put their hearts into each and every little thing. I couldn't really compare the level of detail with any other mmo. I think it looks more like Dark Souls and even has the combat moves influenced by it. Each move does something distinct. MostOne of those games where you can tell the artists just sat back and enjoyed themselves. They level of detail to areas shows that the designers put their hearts into each and every little thing. I couldn't really compare the level of detail with any other mmo. I think it looks more like Dark Souls and even has the combat moves influenced by it. Each move does something distinct. Most mmos have the problem with having too much clutter. In Guild wars, you have the option. You can switch between weapons at level 11 making your combat even more unique. Ultimately the game is 60 bucks with no monthly fee. They don't ask for a credit card to keep on hold. Why is it that when a company has your credit card information they are bound to take at least one payment? I don't remember guild wars that much but it doesn't matter, Guild Wars 2 doesn't want you to. It does everything new, it's a new game with great features and an easy to get into but difficult to master atmosphere. This is no baby mmo like Wow. It has it's fair share of challenges and some stages can require some tact. Still if you have a decent PC pick this up you won't regret it. Expand
  86. Sep 10, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a revolution. The way how it all works together is amazing. You gain experience almost from everything you do, so you no longer need to play it for 20 000 hours to reach the best equip and to enjoy high level instances. I am playing a norn ranger and it is so much fun, with all the pets you can tame and all the skillsets you can use. Another thing is the enviroment, it isGuild Wars 2 is a revolution. The way how it all works together is amazing. You gain experience almost from everything you do, so you no longer need to play it for 20 000 hours to reach the best equip and to enjoy high level instances. I am playing a norn ranger and it is so much fun, with all the pets you can tame and all the skillsets you can use. Another thing is the enviroment, it is stunning. Despite the problems with the trading post I must say it is a game that really deserves the 10/10 Expand
  87. Sep 3, 2012
    The game brought everything that was promised. It's an excellent example of an mmo that tries something different successfully. A purchase is definitely recommended.
  88. Sep 3, 2012
    For me this game looks quite unattractive because of high fantasy setting that is so popular in MMO genre in our days. Visuals are also not so great, world design is quite childish and of course tons of too colorful SFX in more or less large combat. CPvP is the only thing that can save this MMO since there is no other end-game content because mass PvP seems to be random zerg based byFor me this game looks quite unattractive because of high fantasy setting that is so popular in MMO genre in our days. Visuals are also not so great, world design is quite childish and of course tons of too colorful SFX in more or less large combat. CPvP is the only thing that can save this MMO since there is no other end-game content because mass PvP seems to be random zerg based by design (due to long queries all serious guild coordinated action is usually impossible). Expand
  89. Aug 31, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is without a doubt the best MMO on the market today and it is only 3 days old as I write this. After playing the game since Beta it has ruined every other MMO out there for me. No game available today can touch it. There are pieces of other games that when added up could be as good as this game is but not one MMO has as much awesome as this one does. While waiting forGuild Wars 2 is without a doubt the best MMO on the market today and it is only 3 days old as I write this. After playing the game since Beta it has ruined every other MMO out there for me. No game available today can touch it. There are pieces of other games that when added up could be as good as this game is but not one MMO has as much awesome as this one does. While waiting for Guild Wars 2 to be released I played a few of the "top" MMOs out to kill time. Let me tell you this, I didn't last more than one hour in any of them. After getting a taste of what Guild Wars 2 had to offer every one I tried seemed stale, tired or just plain boring. Expand
  90. Aug 28, 2012
    This game can definitely stand on its own against behemoths like World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic (if that even counts anymore since it is going free to play). It's a good game that doesn't even need to go against its competitors simply because it has no momthly fee (a huge plus in my book) and doesn't really clone any games (think Rift and SWTOR cloning WoW). In that wayThis game can definitely stand on its own against behemoths like World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic (if that even counts anymore since it is going free to play). It's a good game that doesn't even need to go against its competitors simply because it has no momthly fee (a huge plus in my book) and doesn't really clone any games (think Rift and SWTOR cloning WoW). In that way it is truly innovative as it is its own game in its own right. Now, I do think this game is NOT the second coming of Jesus, nor does it live up to all the hype. Why? First of all, I think one of the most hyped up aspects of the game, World vs World (realm vs realm) is probably one of the more boring aspects of the game. You'll spend at least 5 minutes simply running around trying to find the action and when you die, and you will, you'll spend another 5-10 minutes running around looking for action. It's almost as if Anet designed it to be a time sink, but why they would I don't know, again there's no monthly fee. If you don't mind it the fights are really fun (always make sure to carry supplies around with you!!!) and the charm of it all is simply inescapable. My biggest pet peeve of the game, which is a good game mind you, is leveling in PvE. I'm a level 14 elementalist as I write this and I've had to grind on dynamic events several times just to catch up to my story quest, which can jump from level 10 to 15 easily. There aren't enough heart missions (area quests) and unique dynamic events to get you through, so you either have to repeat dynamic events or gain levels through World vs World. Not a favourable aspect of the game for me. I will end this review on one note though...the exploration in this game is simply amazing, fantastic, wonderful. If you like to explore you'll love this game. I didn't like exploring before but now I'm getting addicted to it. Anyways, it's a 7.5 to 8 game out of 10 in my humble opinion, I don't think this game deserves a 10 or anything less than 6. Expand
  91. Aug 28, 2012
    I played the Original and This sequel fit the bill PERFECTLY on gameplay fun and bring back all the fuzzy memories of the original!

PvP is a lot of fun and OMG complex in the best of ways! The lack of level grinding is a HUGE Plus for me Yes cap is 80 but you dont get to lvl 80 through conventional means of killing 20 or so boars its about exploration of the world and exploring your character and making fun yet interesting decisions on your way though the story!

if you havent already i recommend buying this game if your a fan or Guild wars 1 or your fresh eyes on this Product!
  92. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is exactly what the MMO world needed. It is a breath of fresh air into a genre that has recently become very stale. This is a great MMO for anyone that has a life as you can very seemlessly hop in and out of the action. It's not about chasing a carrot on a stick it's about having fun and I really appreciate all the hard work that has gone into developing it.
  93. Aug 28, 2012
    Amazing! More content that you will know what to do with, all in a gorgeous environment with active, FUN combat. Much love to Arenanet for releasing such an awesome game. Granted it's not perfect, but for every one scuff mark, there are 10 things that will blow your mind.
  94. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is the long awaited sequel and it's been worth every day of the wait. Fun dynamic events that chain together, In-depth personal story, engaging combat. Guild Wars 2 is a well polished MMO. Worth every penny.
  95. Aug 28, 2012
    What is there not to like? The amount of depth in ArenaNet's new MMO Guild Wars 2 is simply astounding. While the graphics are relatively average the attention detail makes up for it. Everything from players leaving footprint trails and idly toying with their weapons while out of combat to the sheer volume and depth of the dynamic event system is mind blowing. The action based combatWhat is there not to like? The amount of depth in ArenaNet's new MMO Guild Wars 2 is simply astounding. While the graphics are relatively average the attention detail makes up for it. Everything from players leaving footprint trails and idly toying with their weapons while out of combat to the sheer volume and depth of the dynamic event system is mind blowing. The action based combat brings a whole new level to the MMO experience and the dodge mechanic feels natural and responsive. Emphasis is placed on well timed dodges and skill usage instead of mindlessly spamming ability rotations.

The map completion mechanic combined with gathering nodes being individual player based along with the dynamic events really makes the leveling fun and rewards exploration. While no single mechanic is revolutionary the combination of many great ideas and how well they all flow together really just makes this game work.

P.S. I have been dropping the F bomb in general chat all day for 3 days and not been banned. Those others must have been really abusive. There is a profanity filter for a reason.
  96. Aug 28, 2012
    One of the best mmorpgs of this generation.Well let me say that apart from being innovative,it is fun to progress in the game.The game itself is different from other mmos as it takes a different approach to the mmorpg genre.There is no trinity,no grind for gear,no trinity and last but not least smooth leveling.These elements are implemented excellently to make the game more fun than otherOne of the best mmorpgs of this generation.Well let me say that apart from being innovative,it is fun to progress in the game.The game itself is different from other mmos as it takes a different approach to the mmorpg genre.There is no trinity,no grind for gear,no trinity and last but not least smooth leveling.These elements are implemented excellently to make the game more fun than other mmorpgs.It is buy to play so you need to pay a one time fee to access the full game with an optional cash shop containing no pay to win items.The most important part is the fun of the game.No mmorpg has been this fun to level all the way to max level.Quests are not a chore but an exciting experience that are easy to complete.Apart from quests there are Dynamic events which pits you in an event to make a certain objective with other players,these involve centaurs attacking a village,aiding npc to cross a certain ground,defending a fort,killing an epic boss and much more.Thats not only that make Guild Wras 2 excellent but the World vs World is a nice addition to the game.You can at anyime hop into this mode where you are against 2 other servers(worlds) to take territory.You will siege castles,towers,camps,raid supplys and even take a single road.Keep in mind doing this solo is not going to work,teaming up with 60+ players is required to siege a tower and maybe 6 for a supply camp but it is very easy to find a group so you can venture with.You can also upgrade your buildings to make them more defensive,buy siege equipment and make guild claiming.You can also level up by killing players and npcs that defend the territory.Apart from WvW, there is also structured pvp where matches will be held for competitive play.In pvp you are geared in endgame gear and maxed to level 80.This method is so efficient because some mmorpgs are usually gear requiring making the pvp less skillful.Others are pay to win where you pay to increase your stats and armor to own players.In both WvW and PvP you are maxed to level 80 but in WvW you remain in your pve gear.This does not affect you in any other way because as I said before gear isn't the main thing.All in all Guild Wars 2 is an excellent game that any mmorpg lover should play.Even singleplayer rpg gamers should play this because it caters an overall experience that appeals to a large audience. Expand
  97. Aug 28, 2012
    Game is superb. I've been playing MMO's since they first started appearing. This one is highly polished, the dev team is highly responsive in community forums. Music is excellent, visuals are excellent, story is excellent. 10/10 for me!
  98. Aug 28, 2012
    If you like themepark based MMOs, there really is no better game out right now than GW2. The level of detail and polish just in the NPC chatter alone really helps shape the lore and world. Combat is extremely fluid with weapon swapping, dodging and combo fields this game is one of the more visceral MMOs out there. If you like to explore, this is the game for you, if you like to only Raid,If you like themepark based MMOs, there really is no better game out right now than GW2. The level of detail and polish just in the NPC chatter alone really helps shape the lore and world. Combat is extremely fluid with weapon swapping, dodging and combo fields this game is one of the more visceral MMOs out there. If you like to explore, this is the game for you, if you like to only Raid, you may find it lacking. Expand
  99. Aug 28, 2012
    Game is amazing. Sad to see people giving it negative reviews due to bugs and errors in a pre launch head start that can easily be fixed by a simple patch....
  100. Sep 23, 2012