• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. Aug 28, 2012
    just couldnt give this game a 9. my situation is...i have no reason to play other games. i dropped DoTA2, BF3, and many others cold turkey. i play GW2 as a pvper. the well-rounded pve experience is just a bonus to me. ANet is one hell of a company.
  2. Aug 28, 2012
    Great evolution of the Guild Wars story line. Quite enjoy the free-roaming sandbox nature of the game play. Minor 'fresh out of the box' bugs, but if the history of the Arenanet team is anything to go by, they'll be fixed up quickly.
  3. Aug 29, 2012
    You know it's funny. Between 2005 and 2012 the reviews haven't changed much. I still remember these tears:

- waaaaa, GW1 is just instanced so it's no MMORPG! - waaaaa, i can't use all my skills at the same time, so it's **** - waaaaa, you can't jump or swim, so banal! Doesn't change the fact that I have logged several thousand hours into GW1 (the only other game I have that many

- waaaaa, GW1 is just instanced so it's no MMORPG!
    - waaaaa, i can't use all my skills at the same time, so it's ****
    - waaaaa, you can't jump or swim, so banal!

Doesn't change the fact that I have logged several thousand hours into GW1 (the only other game I have that many hours is Starcraft) and had one of the best internet-times of my life with my Guild. Rock on, A.Net!
  4. Aug 29, 2012
    This has been a great game so far and I predict hours of fun from it to come. It's a nice change from the blandness of other MMO's like WoW and the recent flop of ToR. No subscription fee is of course, always a bonus.
    Recommended to my friends? Yes!
  5. Aug 29, 2012
    I've been playing MMORPGs since the days of Asheron's Call. Rarely now do I find a new title as engaging as Guild Wars 2. Everywhere I go in the game I stumble into fun, the hours roll by and never do I feel like I am grinding. The dynamic events have been a joy and the combat refreshing. The trinity is gone and I could not be happier. On top of all of that no subscription fee. My one andI've been playing MMORPGs since the days of Asheron's Call. Rarely now do I find a new title as engaging as Guild Wars 2. Everywhere I go in the game I stumble into fun, the hours roll by and never do I feel like I am grinding. The dynamic events have been a joy and the combat refreshing. The trinity is gone and I could not be happier. On top of all of that no subscription fee. My one and only complaint at this time is WVW drags down the FPS a bit, but never to unplayable levels. If you like MMOs, buy this game... Expand
  6. Aug 29, 2012
    I've been playing this since the early days of beta, and I'm happy to have played the Head Start for the last few days. There have been a few launch issues (downed trading post, unevenly matched WvW, etc.), but I'm not going to factor any of those minor quibbles into my review since they are easily fixed.

As an grown-up gamer with a 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM job and a wife, it's been harder and harder to justify and maintain my love of MMOs. I cancelled my World of Warcraft account in 2010 because I didn't have time (and quite frankly got bored of the constant raiding, grinding, repeating process). Since then I've tried Rift, Tera, Lord of the Rings Online, D&D Online, and numerous other MMOs, hoping to recapture the magic I had lost with WoW, and hoping they had systems to cater to the less-than-consistent player that I am. Unfortunately, none offered what I wanted.

Then along comes Guild Wars 2. Not only does the gameplay lend well to jumping in for an hour at a time (dynamic events, quests, etc.), but the game also provides good incentive to explore and enjoy the world (Vistas, POIs, etc.). Not feeling like grinding out a level? That's fine; try and see all the locations on the map. You get achievements, EXP, and items for exploring 100%. I've seen some reviews that indicate that the actual combat is "nothing revolutionary", but I'm not sure if they actually PLAYED the game or just wanted to complain. The dodge mechanic (which WORKS, contrary to several reviews on here) is an integral part of the experience. As an Engineer I use is constantly to avoid damage and gain distance between enemies and myself. It's not on the level of TERA in terms of active combat, but it's still a leap ahead.

The hotbar (a staple of most MMOs) is still present and changes skills depending on the weapon you're using. For an engineer I have different abilities for pistols (dual and single wielding with shield), rifles, and any kits I might be using (flamethrower, tool kit, etc.). It's an amazing breath of fresh air to have your skills be determined by whatever weapon you're holding in your hand. That said, there are only 5 major skills (beyond utility, healing, etc.) for each weapon. You'll learn those skills VERY well over the course of 80 levels, which might irk some people.

My only minor complaint with the game (and why I gave it a 9) is that while they minimized the grinding within the game, it's still present. It's a different form, but still there. In order to keep up with the zones and story quests I needed to do all the dynamic events I possibly could, explore 100% of the map, craft, and clear every "heart" (essentially quest hubs) for all the zones I've been through so far. Some may dismiss that as "part of MMOs", but does it need to be? There have been numerous forums conversations (even with the developers) to address this, and I appreciate their willingness to accept positive criticism to make the game better.

All-in-all, I look forward to playing it for years to come. It's a solid buy for anyone who wants something new in their MMOs.
  7. Aug 29, 2012
    This is the best mmo ive ever played, nothing can beat the awesomeness level of guild wars 2. If you're not playing this game you are missing on your mmo life. Anyway, buy it now and i need to go back to guild wars 2 because im wasting my in game time.
  8. Aug 29, 2012
    So far, so great! it's a solid game, and a very solid MMO. I normally get burned out on MMOs fairly quickly, so it's up in the air whether the feeling will last, but all of the other MMO releases the past couple of years have just felt stagnant compared to this. It's not your typical MMO and I can understand why some people wouldn't like it because it doesn't have the traditionalSo far, so great! it's a solid game, and a very solid MMO. I normally get burned out on MMOs fairly quickly, so it's up in the air whether the feeling will last, but all of the other MMO releases the past couple of years have just felt stagnant compared to this. It's not your typical MMO and I can understand why some people wouldn't like it because it doesn't have the traditional instanced raiding, but the game pretty much delivers on everything that it says it does, so if you like what you read, give it a shot! You'll get your money's worth. Expand
  9. Nov 1, 2012
    The game, doesn't hold up to what I thought it would be from GW1. It annoys me how many bugs there are in the game, one of the level 45 story mode quests has been broken, since the game was released it is the second quest for Order of the whispers for the Skritt. I bought it while knowing there wouldn't be any tank or healer in the game, even through you can be semi, it is still not theThe game, doesn't hold up to what I thought it would be from GW1. It annoys me how many bugs there are in the game, one of the level 45 story mode quests has been broken, since the game was released it is the second quest for Order of the whispers for the Skritt. I bought it while knowing there wouldn't be any tank or healer in the game, even through you can be semi, it is still not the same. My biggest complaint is how useless it makes you feel with crafting. On other MMOs, you could at least sell what you made through the leveling up of it, even if you don't break even you can still sell it, while GW2 everything you make until max level is practically trash. I witnessed so many times I tried to do a skill quest and there was no npc there or the same with a event, that they are gone because of a bug. Only reason I didn't give it a 0, but a 5 because it at least does show me a little bit of joy trying to reach max level. The dodge feature is another thing, that shouldn't of been introduced to mmos, at least it should of been, where you don't dodge everything, it makes why should I do a aoe, when people can just dodge out of it. I am still going give the game a chance to max level, but after I reach it not sure, if I want to continue due to no end game content other then dungeons that i have to sometimes wait 1 hour to find something or WVW where unless you are on a good server you can actually have fun, while it doesn't matter what server you are on, because eventually it will drop and another server will be better and make WVW suck for your server. I have played around 14 mmos and I plan to jump ship to FFXIV Realm reborn, as soon as it comes out it will give me more of a mmo experience and not a single player one, with multi-player. Expand
  10. Sep 14, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is one of the best MMO's to be released in many years, its skill based mechanics is superb creating a really fun and addictive PvE PvP and WvWvW content and environment. ArenaNet has crafted their game very well, the aesthetics have been carefully crafted and fitted together, coupled with Jeremy Soule score it makes Guild Wars 2 look, sound and feel amazing while stillGuild Wars 2 is one of the best MMO's to be released in many years, its skill based mechanics is superb creating a really fun and addictive PvE PvP and WvWvW content and environment. ArenaNet has crafted their game very well, the aesthetics have been carefully crafted and fitted together, coupled with Jeremy Soule score it makes Guild Wars 2 look, sound and feel amazing while still setting its grim yet beautiful tone within the Guild Wars lore. Guild Wars 2 innovates the genre with very simple and yet very effective innovations and sets new high standards and mile stones for future MMO and all this with no subscription fees, ArenaNet as just not only put everything else in the genre to shame, but most of the MMO developers and their publishers too deep shame. Expand
  11. Sep 21, 2012
    After some time with Guild Wars 2, I can safely say that we're not looking at anything new here. Although, there -is- an absence of annoying quest-givers, questing is still essentially a hub-to-hub grindfest of tedious errands made occasionally interesting with zerg-dependent events and world raid bosses. PvP has about the same level of depth, lots of zerging involved with WvWvW with aAfter some time with Guild Wars 2, I can safely say that we're not looking at anything new here. Although, there -is- an absence of annoying quest-givers, questing is still essentially a hub-to-hub grindfest of tedious errands made occasionally interesting with zerg-dependent events and world raid bosses. PvP has about the same level of depth, lots of zerging involved with WvWvW with a handful of amusing tournament-based ordeals involving fewer players. I won't lie that I keep hoping for something revolutionary and GW2 doesn't necessarily exceed (or even meet) those lofty expectations. HOWEVER, for all its shortcomings, Guild Wars 2 does set the bar a little higher in a few ways, the foremost being is that it is executed very well. Shaky start notwithstanding, great depth is incorporated into the interface mechanics. In fact, I would argue that GW2 has taken from mainstream MMO's that which we love and trimmed the fat in an effort to minimize tedium. The result is quick and easy auctioneering, fun and rewarding crafting, and great variety in terms of sorting and customization. It is very clean, easy to manage, and altogether fulfilling. Sadly, while all the streamlining may appeal to the majority, the handful of dungeons and short list of pvp options will not be adequate fodder for the hardcore audience. Flaws aside, the sheer vastness and relative splendor of Guild Wars 2 is well worth $60, and that's really all you have to pay to keep playing; the game is easily playable without having to spend a dime on the micro-transactions, which are essentially non-vital extravagances you can purchase with in-game money given a little time and effort. All things considered, this is a good start, and the fact that Arena.net has promised more and more free features as time goes by makes the one-time payment for GW2 all the more worthwhile. 8/10. Expand
  12. Oct 1, 2012
    Arenanet made a number of improvements to MMO design with Guild Wars 2, but also made a significant number of questionable design decisions, effectively repeating the mistakes of the products they should have learned from. Positives: mob tapping is gone, grouping works automatically in the open world, the trinity is gone, graphics are very good, events help the world seem not-so-static.Arenanet made a number of improvements to MMO design with Guild Wars 2, but also made a significant number of questionable design decisions, effectively repeating the mistakes of the products they should have learned from. Positives: mob tapping is gone, grouping works automatically in the open world, the trinity is gone, graphics are very good, events help the world seem not-so-static.

There are some heavy negatives to consider though. The boosting system in WvW doesn't do much as level 80 characters can drop lower level players in literally 1 second flat. Crafting is yet again something of an afterthought, but does bring significant XP gains, without many sellable products. Some drops required to craft seem broken, as the rarity makes them non-viable for production. Not much of an endgame is available. The game still has significant bugs as of 10/1/2012, such as trait point NPCs disappearing. Character classes are wildly unbalanced, with some being orders of magnitude more powerful than others. Personal story quest difficulty is largely broken, with mobs wiping out players pretty quickly, leading to repair bills.

One last item to consider is the combat design. It is a bit..odd. Players have an active dodge, which can be used twice and then wait for recharge. Mobs tend to hit extremely hard, even on their plain vanilla attacks, and even from trash mobs. Mobs also are spawned on top of players already in combat quite frequently. Overall, the combat seems somewhat clunky. Defensive abilities tend to be weak, healing abilities almost not worth using, and both are usually on very long cooldowns. There are a number of other abilities than don't seem to have much to offer, and yet again, on long cooldowns. Range attacks are usually more advantageous then melee, mostly due to the damage mobs toss out to melee characters.
  13. Oct 2, 2012
    Good game, good graphics, but nothing too amazing. After about 15 levels of leveling it starts to feel very much like WaR. Very boring after level 15 or so.. I'm still playing to try to keep a feel for the game and hopefully something will peak my interest.

Experience: I've been playing MMOs ever since Meridian 59.
  14. Oct 14, 2012
    This game is well worth the box price, I've put about 60 hours into GW2 and while they have been enjoyable; I will not likely be going back to it any time soon. Although it is a fantastically crafted world with wonderful new perks to the tried any trusted MMO formula; this game still has the basic hot-key combat and repetitive actions. While giving lots of different tasks to try such asThis game is well worth the box price, I've put about 60 hours into GW2 and while they have been enjoyable; I will not likely be going back to it any time soon. Although it is a fantastically crafted world with wonderful new perks to the tried any trusted MMO formula; this game still has the basic hot-key combat and repetitive actions. While giving lots of different tasks to try such as exploring for Vistas, taking part in dynamic events and more formulaic 'heart' quests; after the 50th time of doing a slight variation it does, unfortunately; get boring (at least for me). As a great piece of escapism and for those happy with the existing MMO foundations; buy it without hesitation. If you've grown bored of the likes of WoW, ToR, Rift, Tera et al. this will provide a welcome refresh but will eventually get stale. Expand
  15. Oct 20, 2012
    I failed to see what all the hype was about. This game is by no means special.
    HOWEVER: having said that, it is a very good Online RPG. Many characters to play, tons of items, skills, spells, etc. But for me - what's important in an online RPG is to play with someone i know. Otherwise - it's just no fun - even less fun if there was a single player campaign.
  16. Nov 25, 2012
    I am downgrading my score from when it first came out because of some annoying bugs. On two occasions I suffered a rollback which meant I went back to an earlier version of my character, losing all progress. Each time it cost me a day's play. I believe they are aware of the problem but chose to do nothing about it. The rest of my review still stands - the game is fantastic fun to playI am downgrading my score from when it first came out because of some annoying bugs. On two occasions I suffered a rollback which meant I went back to an earlier version of my character, losing all progress. Each time it cost me a day's play. I believe they are aware of the problem but chose to do nothing about it. The rest of my review still stands - the game is fantastic fun to play though I found the story a bit weak. Expand
  17. May 5, 2013
    Now I want to start of saying 10/10 does not mean a perfect game. It simply means it is worth every penny you spend on it. Now on the the review

GW2 (short to save characters) is an amazing MMO. While other MMOs have your teams compete for loot and the reward for killing something, GW2 rewards everyone, and better yet, you get even more rewarded for helping each other. So MMO camping is eliminated. The combat and skills are amazing, since all professions and weapons are balanced, and there is no "best weapon". Truth is, it's based on your skill and your preference. This also applies to professions.

The bosses are also spectacular. They are usually massive battles, spawning amazing loot everyone can get. This accompanied by the beautiful environments and music create the perfect atmosphere for this game. You can do small things as well, like cook food or break up fights in a bar, which I love to do in this game whenever I do not feel like exploring, which is also recommended. Exploring gives exp, and if you explore a whole area, you get a huge exp boost plus some items as a reward.

Social interaction is recommended, as they keep you playing the game. This is why when you first play, I recommend you quickly ask the map for an open guild. PVP is also fun and requires strategy to it, so definitely check that out.

A game is not a game without flaws, and there are plentiful.
    First dungeons feel a bit overpowering, especially for new players. Also some low level equipment do not look to special, and skins can only be used once. However these are just some nit picky problems, and are not to bothersome.

Again, BUY THIS GAME!
  18. Sep 28, 2013
    I wanted to try the free account offered by Guild wars 2, because I've heard of it many good things. Now I'm confused: the first thing was when I tried to download the installation file (25 gb) the net failed, and I had to try again from the begining I mean it's 2013, for God's sake. No pause, no nothing?
    After finally downloading it, I made an account, verified, and played a bit. Next day when I wanted to get on the servers, it asked me for authentication, an email that didn't arrive. I tried a few times, then tried logging into my account from a browser still no authentication email... I went to support, but I couldn't get a ticket, because I have no serial... So that was about it. Try it its free, but you won't get anything.
    About the game (to be correct, about the hour I could play with the game): This was my 1st MMO, I was always interested to play one, but I never had (or wanted to pay) the money for a subscription or the time. Now I think I didn't lose anything... Soulless NPCs walking around, I know that there would be PvP and stuff, with real gamers, but if I revive, heal or help someone a 'thank' would be a minimal effort. They get up and walk by like nothing happened.
    I have to climb up somewhere on a rock to get some egg, but the model is soo blocky. Quake 1 was way better. So it 'jumps', falls of course, and dies of course. Revive on resurrection point and walk back to try again. Gave up after 2 tries.
    It's like playing Gears of war after Skyrim or Assassins Creed, feels like you're a tank, not a human.
    If a baddie monster kills me I should do something to survive, but no indication what. What should I do, which button to press, etc, nothing. A little help would be great, but no. Although there's place enough to nag me to buy the full version. No, sir no!

The controls are dumb. Holding the right mouse all the time. Maybe I could get used to it, if it was worth it... But given the fact that I couldn't go back AND won't buy full after these experiences, I will never know...

Many user says here that this is the best MMO of all times. If this is true, then MMO as a game genre is just not for me.
  19. Nov 21, 2013
    In my opinion, this is the best MMORPG ever. Better than the first Guild Wars, better than WoW and better than Lineage. Awesome graphics (artistic style), fantastic world, interesting story, balanced PvP, awesome soundtrack, good gameplay, monthly events, no monthly fee and more!
  20. Nov 27, 2013
    Best mmorpg out there to date. Graphics are stellar the gameplay is smooth and entertaining the old boring questing system is done. There is 0 reasons to pay monthly for a game when something like this is out there.
  21. Jan 17, 2014
    Guild Wars 2 is the MMO that has been awaited for years. With an enormous amount of content, diverse quests, and an overall enhancing experience, Guild Wars 2 is a spectacle. The personal story is only average, but it isn't what the game is about. This MMO is a milestone for the genre; an achievement for the year, if not the decade.
  22. Feb 24, 2014
    Even though I no longer play Guild Wars 2, I still think it probably is the best MMORPG currently on the market. The developers got many things very much right and some of the mechanics are spot on. I spent very long time in this game, levelled one character to the max. level and explored a significant part of the world. The graphics look very nice, the combat system is extraordinarilyEven though I no longer play Guild Wars 2, I still think it probably is the best MMORPG currently on the market. The developers got many things very much right and some of the mechanics are spot on. I spent very long time in this game, levelled one character to the max. level and explored a significant part of the world. The graphics look very nice, the combat system is extraordinarily good for an MMO, crafting works pretty well, exploration is by far the best in the MMO genre and there is even a decent story telling. There is no monthly fee, yet the game is updated quite often. The atmosphere is mostly fine. If you play as a human that is. The other races have far less immersive setting in the starting areas. Some of the class quest suffered of bugs after release. Overall however, this game is outstandingly good. Expand
  23. Sep 19, 2012
    Most fun I've had in an MMO. The game is beautiful, tons of fun and addicting for all! The pve, pvp, and WvWvW is all amazing and really well done. Finally a game where you can do whatever you want.. Explore, do dungeons, pvp, WvW, and more! Also, this game is harder than your average MMO. Which is good! Who doesn't like a challenge?
  24. Aug 29, 2012
    This game is really good. Just saying that is an understatement. If your board with World of Warcraft, tired of the same old same old, buy this. Honestly, they should have a monthly fee cause the way this plays and how good it is really expands what FREE MMORPGs can do.

Everything, everything is just that amazing. Read other reviews for specifics. I can't even wrap my mind around it!
  25. Aug 29, 2012
    Pay2Win is nonexistent. Ridiculous complaint. Everything in the shop is cosmetic or "boosts", and leveling is already really short. Plus the same also accepts in-game gold, just needs to be converted. (3gold will basically buy you anything in the store plus change) Actions appear disjointed until one gets used to them. Not as flashy as TERA, but actually more indepth in terms of not justPay2Win is nonexistent. Ridiculous complaint. Everything in the shop is cosmetic or "boosts", and leveling is already really short. Plus the same also accepts in-game gold, just needs to be converted. (3gold will basically buy you anything in the store plus change) Actions appear disjointed until one gets used to them. Not as flashy as TERA, but actually more indepth in terms of not just tab+attack. Incredibly huge world. Perhaps the greatest World PVP system since DAOC. Dungeons similar to WoW, Aion, and TERA. A bit harder. By far the most content of any MMO besides WoW. This is a real competitor, and a great game. Expand
  26. Aug 28, 2012
    14 year MMO vet here. GW2 is the best MMO since WoW, maybe in forever. Massive, immersive world, tons of fun content and fun over all game play. Definitely one of the largest, most beautiful MMO worlds since Vanilla WoW, with plenty of redundancy to further increase re-playability. Combat is fun and dynamic. Professions are well designed and offer a lot of variety. Everyone has a self14 year MMO vet here. GW2 is the best MMO since WoW, maybe in forever. Massive, immersive world, tons of fun content and fun over all game play. Definitely one of the largest, most beautiful MMO worlds since Vanilla WoW, with plenty of redundancy to further increase re-playability. Combat is fun and dynamic. Professions are well designed and offer a lot of variety. Everyone has a self heal, no dedicated healers in this game. The game has a lot of innovative features that not only work well on their own, but the entire game comes together to produce something much greater than the sum of all it's parts.

Between beta events and the three day head start, I've already logged 200 hours of game play. The fun and sense of discovery has never waned and I look forward to playing this game for the long haul!

Too many MMOs in recent years have failed to offer much beyond a month of play for many players. It's great to see a new MMO that has the content, world and game play to support a long term commitment from the players. Guild Wars 2 sets a new bar for MMO design that will be very difficult to match or exceed in the next few years. Unless there is some game in development somewhere that can outdo what GW2 has done, this is going to be THE game for many MMO players for the next year, or even a few years, depending on how well Arenanet are able to build upon the game via future expansion.

A final note, there is no subscription fee, which is amazing, since the game offers more than any game since WoW launched as far as world size, content, features, etc... You aren't getting a discount experience due to the lack of subscription fee. If you do like the game and keep playing, you might want to consider making use of the Gem Store, as a way to support the game and it's further development financially. Nothing in the store is pay to Win or even provides an unfair advantage, but there are things like character slots, expanded vault space, etc... that will be useful to almost everyone. Dropping $10 on gems every once in a while, in lieu of a subscription fee, will provide some nice account upgrades or even some fluff cosmetic items, while ensuring the future successful expansion of the game moving forward. To sum up, the game is massive, fun, immersive, with a huge world space, tons of content, breadth of features and depth of game play pretty much unparalleled by other current games in the MMORPG genre. If you are an MMO fan, you can't go wrong for $60. For many, this is a game that will provide hundreds or even thousands of hours of game play. There is no better entertainment value for your dollar!
  27. Aug 29, 2012
    Awesome game. Everything just falls into place. Nothing bad to say about it. I like everything from the PvE content, to the WvWvW, to the sPvP. Even crafting is exciting.
  28. Aug 29, 2012
    This game is AWESOME. The best MMOPRG since WoW The Burning Crusade. One of the most beautiful game EVER. Don't trust the haters that give a negative scores. Haters gonna hate. Buy this game. Play this game. Love this game.
  29. Aug 30, 2012
    The game is tremendous. Obviously it's early days, and there have been some issues here and there, but the playing experience is top of the line in every way. A vast world to explore. A good range of interesting classes and races. Excellent pvp, which can handle many players. (My only small gripe is that I would have enjoyed pvp in the main game world, but the game has large pvp zonesThe game is tremendous. Obviously it's early days, and there have been some issues here and there, but the playing experience is top of the line in every way. A vast world to explore. A good range of interesting classes and races. Excellent pvp, which can handle many players. (My only small gripe is that I would have enjoyed pvp in the main game world, but the game has large pvp zones which work very well). The world is alive with action and sounds. The draw distance is impressive. I have high hopes for this one - long may it prosper. Expand
  30. Aug 28, 2012
    It's hard for me to give a game a 10; perfection. With this game, yes I don't like doing some tasks like pick up stuff for 15 minutes, blah, blah, blah, so I can't give it a 10. But overall this game is addicting, more polished than GW1, fun to play, massive amount of content, smooth, nice to look out, great character builds, good weapons, good enemies, etc.... It's my favorite MMO.
  31. Jan 24, 2014
    This is the only MMO I still enjoy after 3000 hours. I've done all the content, built a 300-adult superguild, made legendaries, full top-tier everything, a 600gold emperor title just for fun... And there's STILL STUFF COMING OUT! Sometimes the living story gets kinda boring but this is definitely redefining what good MMO's require. Kudos arenanet.
  32. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is amazing, there has been many hyped-uped games this year, SWTOR, TERA , Diablo III. none lived up to my expectations, but GW2, not just lived up, but exceeded it. i've never enjoyed a game so much in a long long time. Great job Arenanet!
  33. op8
    Aug 29, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic!.....Give it a year, and this actually IS the MMO that will knock WoW off the top, and it deserves to......................................Dark Souls, GW2 and a even more fantastic looking games coming up... its a great time to be a gamer!
  34. Aug 29, 2012
    This is honestly the game that made me remember why I'm a PC gamer and brought all my hope back to PC gaming.I give it a 10 because it deserves it. The things I noticed that were wrong were very little and they had no effect on the actual game-play so I didn't care. When you focus on the small bugs about a game and say the game sucks because of it, you should just give up right thereThis is honestly the game that made me remember why I'm a PC gamer and brought all my hope back to PC gaming.I give it a 10 because it deserves it. The things I noticed that were wrong were very little and they had no effect on the actual game-play so I didn't care. When you focus on the small bugs about a game and say the game sucks because of it, you should just give up right there because there is no hope for you in the video game world. Anyway, the devs pretty much thought of everything in this game. No more grinding enemies, no more loading up on quests. It's all about the dynamic events and exploration that make this game so incredible. I keep forgetting that I have a story mission to do because I keep getting caught up in doing events and exploring all the areas. When I play this, I play it for hours on end because there is so much to do and I have to force myself to stop playing. One problem I've had with other MMOs are, what I call, stand-stills, where you run out of quests for your level and you are no where near leveling and you stand there trying to figure out what to do so then are forced to grind enemies. This game doesn't have that at all because of all the events you can do. After reading what the negative users have said about this game makes me sick. This is, in my opinion, an incredibly awesome-made game. Just a few things: 1. MMOs are bound to have a few bugs at first but the ones in this game are so minimal to the actual game-play that I just carry on with the game. 2. This game doesn't have quests so what is broken? All it has is your story mission, tasks, and events and all of them are fine with me and I should know because I played a different character in all the beta events and stress tests and found very little problems and guess what, they didn't bother me. 3. The graphics in this game are awesome. It is hard to make a game look original these days so quit crying because it looks too much like WoW which, also in my opinion, it looks nothing like WoW. Also, one thing that I think is just pure genius when it comes to this game is the W v W (World vs. World). It basically takes after Dark Age of Camelot with the sieges and keep raids. I loved that game 10 years ago and this game brought back so many good memories of it. This game is so much better then WoW that words cannot describe it. So anyway, to sum it up, Guild Wars 2 was definitely worth the wait. I was excited for the release just as much as I was just to play it during a beta event for 3 days or a stress test for 3 hours. I love this game. That's all I can say. Expand
  35. Aug 29, 2012
    Combat; Pros - Fast paced, little downtime, reaction time oriented, utilizes action rpg mechanics such as real-time blocking and dodging, not based on stats and numbers but instead complimented by them, and higher level (10+) combat/skills is very fun. It doesn't grow stale because the PvE mobs are VERY smart as compared to traditional MMO's. They will dodge your attacks, block, knock youCombat; Pros - Fast paced, little downtime, reaction time oriented, utilizes action rpg mechanics such as real-time blocking and dodging, not based on stats and numbers but instead complimented by them, and higher level (10+) combat/skills is very fun. It doesn't grow stale because the PvE mobs are VERY smart as compared to traditional MMO's. They will dodge your attacks, block, knock you down, etc. This proves to be a fun combat system for PvP too, providing a more visceral experience.
    Cons - Early levels can prove to be a little slow, but discovering skills through fighting can be exciting for the first time.

Crafting; Pros - Provides significant exp, has an interesting discovery mode that allows you to mix and match ingredients to discover new recipes, very easy to earn nodes while leveling because nodes are instanced to be personal to each player, therefore node-stealing is literally impossible. You can always farm ANY type of node as long as you have the farming equipment viable for it, even if you don't have a crafting discipline, and it ALWAYS provides exp, even if you farm something that is too high level and you get junk for it.
    Cons - Can be pricey depending on which crafting discipline you choose.

Personal Story; Pros - Unique playthroughs; you could play the same race more than three times and have an entirely different personal story each and every time, depending on which backgrounds you choose for your character. Tons of voice acting that is for the most part high quality, with a few hiccups here and there. You get to make impacting decisions that affect your "home instance", which also screams for another playthrough.
    Cons - For those who like to completely define a unique character, it can take away from that and make you feel slightly standardized. Can't choose voice for character, either.

Graphics; Pros - Unique and unlike most art styles I've ever seen, works well with game's design and engine, even low settings provides a very good looking game.
    Cons - My only complaints would be you can't push the graphics even farther.

Overall - Top all of that off with a one time purchase with no subscription fee, and you've got yourself an award winning MMORPG that is fresh, unique, and provides for an experience unlike any older MMORPG can provide. The main question; is it revolutionary in making you think differently about MMO gaming? I would say yes; among the action oriented combat which resembles a console game, stylized graphics, interesting and fresh crafting mechanics, and easy to use UI topping everything off with no subscription fee, this game is a candidate for Game of the Year, hands down. You owe it to yourself to try it.
  36. Aug 29, 2012
    Absolutely amazing game, everything from the world, characters, story, gameplay, style, this is truly a piece of art. It was the best 50£ I have ever spent on a game in my life, and I hope that Arenanet will keep up the good work, and will amaze me/us again with new content in the future.
  37. Aug 30, 2012
    From the ashes of the long burned-out MMO genre emerges Guild Wars 2. The original Guild Wars, which I still say is better tham WoW, should have set the standard for MMOs, but instead was marketed into obscurity; not this time. This time around the differences are noticeable and long-overdue for the genre. It's not just the gameplay, it's the choice. For once in an MMO, the illusion ofFrom the ashes of the long burned-out MMO genre emerges Guild Wars 2. The original Guild Wars, which I still say is better tham WoW, should have set the standard for MMOs, but instead was marketed into obscurity; not this time. This time around the differences are noticeable and long-overdue for the genre. It's not just the gameplay, it's the choice. For once in an MMO, the illusion of choice is no longer an illusion. Tank, DPS, and Healer are no longer specializations, just positions. To say that all professions (as the game's classes are called) can do all three is abit of a misnomer. ArenaNet has officially ended the need and use for Tanks, DPS, and Healers altogether! All classes have self-heal, tank, and damage skills built right in, and when downed, can still fight and revive themselves, so wipes are almost completely eliminated. Each class also has access to a wide variety of skills that are almost completely dependent on what kind of weapon you're using (utility skills, as they're called, can only be unlocked by skill points). What's more: The pregame character custimozation actually does have an effect on character progression--by influencing the entire story! Quests? Sorry, the WoW,TOR, and TSW reviews are two pages away. In Guild Wars 2, action finds you. True, there are still some static quests, but the vast majority happen in real time and are completely indiscriminate of one another (you can be doing a quest to deliver a message only to be caught in the middle of a massive undead invasion), and if you fail one of these massive public events (numbers are no guarantee of success, as I found out the hard way), the game shows the results of failure and opens the door to more events that would be unavailable otherwise. To top all of this off, the game is subscription free! THANK YOU ARENANET, you're the smart ones in this industry; keep up the good work. Expand
  38. Aug 30, 2012
    In reality worth a 9 but gave it a 10 to balance the WoW kiddies who gave it a zero.
    Tho many quests are redundant, just like in all MMO's. I have been challenged by many others.
  39. Feb 1, 2013
    So i used to played guild wars 1 a LOT!!!!
    And i missed it and loved it........so i bought this and was hoping for more of the same.
    A game that didten focus on grinding but skill instead! A game were skill would matter more than time! But unfortunately guild wars 2 seems a bit the oppersite, only really skill based feature left fro me seems to be the dodging.......and thats only
    So i used to played guild wars 1 a LOT!!!!

A game that didten focus on grinding but skill instead!
    A game were skill would matter more than time!

But unfortunately guild wars 2 seems a bit the oppersite, only really skill based feature left fro me seems to be the dodging.......and thats only really good vs range attacks.
    The PvE seems pointless easy, click and wait more or less.

used to be fun and challenging, picking the right skill and weapon for the right mob.
    Sure it used to suck when you got a bad team for an instance....but it also gave a rewarding feeling when you made it.
    Now i get the feeling of "what happened? Did i win? Apprently so?"
    And again the grinding...."sigh"
    In guild wars 1 a "grinder" was a noob in a fancy armor that didten do anything.

I dont even like what they done about the grafics.......seems you get a lightshow for just for swining a sword.
    I guess thats a personal opinion but I like magic and badass creatures in a world to feel magic. and not something that comes out of my belt buckel for no particular reason.

Didten really like the skill system in guild wars 1 but now i miss it :P

Once this was a skill based game.
    Now its just a standard MMORPG like all the others.
  40. Sep 2, 2012
    So nice with a game that finally dared to mix things up a little. Or not "a little", but a lot actually. Doing so many bold moves, people aren't familiar with and it works. Also a massive community feedback on every little error or bug there is. Never seen anything like it, and definitely also counts in on the score, when it's this significant.
  41. Sep 3, 2012
    best mmo in recent years and i dont i have to explain why

all i can say its im playing mmo's since wow vanilla and gw2 simply crush it with eaze and style..i wont bother to mention other mmos since 90% of them are all wow clones.

Proudly gw2 isnt and thats what make it the best mmo since wow:LK exp
  42. Sep 10, 2012
    I agree with alot of the mid-range user reviews posted so far. After purchasing the game, i can see where all the hard work and development time went, the game looks great stylistically, and i like how they have attempted at every turn to make the game different from the mass produced MMORPG norm. Breaking the holy trintiy of Tank Heals and DPS and making it work is no easy feat in anI agree with alot of the mid-range user reviews posted so far. After purchasing the game, i can see where all the hard work and development time went, the game looks great stylistically, and i like how they have attempted at every turn to make the game different from the mass produced MMORPG norm. Breaking the holy trintiy of Tank Heals and DPS and making it work is no easy feat in an MMORPG. but for me it doesnt work. im enjoying the game immensely dont get me wrong, and can see why people will love it. but for me its a filler game i will play out untill i get bored, it hasnt quite grabbed my attention in the same way other games in the genre have. which is no fault of the game itself, maybe thats me as a player?. in summary, the game is excellent for what it is. worth the purchase. but for me personally, i will probably put it aside when the WoW expac or similar comes out. Expand
  43. Sep 13, 2012
    Loving this game so far. You'll see Guild Wars 2 clones in the coming years. WARNING: You need a really good computer to run this. The minimum system specs aren't going to cut it. This game is more demanding on your comp than anything I've ever seen.
  44. Sep 21, 2012
    great game, great graphics, not too happy that sPvP is seperate from the main game, I guess there is WvW for that. on that note, WvW brings back the good old memories of RvR from DAOC.
  45. Sep 24, 2012
    I wish i could comment on some of these negative reviews. If you are hitting the same 2 buttons the entire game your doing it wrong. This is the most immersive game i have ever played. The pvp is slightly lacking in the number of maps and gametypes (more content is being made), BUT it is the most balanced pvp in any mmo. The reason some people don't like that is because they can no longerI wish i could comment on some of these negative reviews. If you are hitting the same 2 buttons the entire game your doing it wrong. This is the most immersive game i have ever played. The pvp is slightly lacking in the number of maps and gametypes (more content is being made), BUT it is the most balanced pvp in any mmo. The reason some people don't like that is because they can no longer faceroll noobs. If your looking for a $60 game you can spend hundreds of hours on without ever getting bored or frustrated, this is the game for you. Expand
  46. Oct 2, 2012
    This is as good as any MMO has ever been. If you're still playing WoW and the Mists of Panderia daily grind, it's because you underestimated and/or misjudged GW2. This is the game to be playing, and any fan of WoW, Rift, or DAoC owes it to themselves to call GW2 their home for the foreseeable future. This is not another incremental evolution, this is an MMO revolution.

The only thing

The only thing you might miss are instanced raids at end-game. End-game now consists of open-world raids, 3-faction world vs. world PvP, character appearance and gear customization via dyes and dungeon systems, and legendary weapon grinds. In addition, there are still tons of places to explore, quests and events to complete, secret treasure chests to find, jumping puzzles to solve, scenario PvP, and plenty more surprises.

The game might feel a lot like WoW at first, but that just means you're playing it wrong -- seriously. Don't worry, much like anything new, you will begin to understand it with time and effort invested.

Ultimately, GW2 is a wholly unique experience that captures some of the magic that your favorite MMO used to have. Guild Wars 2 is as good as the genre has ever been.
  47. Oct 2, 2012
    The game is brilliant. Contains action,exploring,pvp and group events. The idea of World Events is just great. The leveling is fun and its not boring and monotonic. There are various types of quests.From gathering through killing escorting and ending on defending certain points. The mechanics of the game are great.Combo mechanism really kicks the fun up. The trading system is awesomeThe game is brilliant. Contains action,exploring,pvp and group events. The idea of World Events is just great. The leveling is fun and its not boring and monotonic. There are various types of quests.From gathering through killing escorting and ending on defending certain points. The mechanics of the game are great.Combo mechanism really kicks the fun up. The trading system is awesome because you can trade while questing and doin your stuff. You dont have to run to Auction house or something. You just trade as you go and then pick your money or stuff at Trade Post. Pvp is also big part of the game and is ballanced. Additionally building siege weapons and team playing really makes the pvp hot. This game is not just for solo play. Bigger fun is when you co-operate with other ppl,make events together and work in guilds.
    Awesome game
  48. Oct 5, 2012
    I´ve been checking the bad reviews of the game, and mainly i read complaints of people who let themselves be fooled by all the hype around it. Just to be clear for the persons that are looking for some guidance about buying the game or not: it is a MMORPG, plain and simple, not that different from many others out there. But its the kind of game that can be released after many otherI´ve been checking the bad reviews of the game, and mainly i read complaints of people who let themselves be fooled by all the hype around it. Just to be clear for the persons that are looking for some guidance about buying the game or not: it is a MMORPG, plain and simple, not that different from many others out there. But its the kind of game that can be released after many other games had done thousands of mistakes the guild wars developers learned from. I´m comming from playing mainly WOW (which i stop playing, i mean pandas?, give me a break!), and I´m enjoying guild wars 2 a lot. I really appreciate not having to talk to npcs for getting/delivering quests, the huge world to explore, the lack of armor grinding, and the feature that has to be a must for any other future MMORPGs: the scaling system. The fact that you dont have to explore the world in a linear way based on your character level is priceless. You get to enjoy the challenge of a 1-10 area even if you are a level 40 or whatever. The same about the fact that if i want to pvp, i don´t have to level my character, then grind countless hours for pvp armor in order to get to endgame pvp. You may now create a character just to pvp, you dont have to level it, just create, get to the pvp zone, and go kill people. If you are looking for a completely different experience from other MMORPGs: DONT LOOK HERE! If you want to play a MMORPG that is thoughtful about your time (no grinding for armor, not waiting for parties, etc) and gets you fast into action, this may be your game. One thing I have to agree with other reviewers in here is that the game is not very social. I see this as a very huge advantage because a hate having to waste my time waiting for a healer or a tank or whatever, or spamming text to find a party to do an elite quest, etc. But one thing they did right is the fact that there is not mob locking, everybody can benefit from a kill if they participated in it (same with gathering), so the sight of other players in that particular elite mob that you cant solo is great, you actually get happy about encountering others instead of seeing them as competition, although you dont even have to talk to them to work together. The players that enjoy feeling important (i´m the best healer, i keep everyone alive!), socializing too much in game or armor grinding are definitely going to be disappointed. Me?, i hate all that stuff, so i am really having a blast playing it. Concerning the critics about the combat being repetitive, with auto attack and cooldowns, well, its true. But i havent found a MMORPG that makes it that much better either, so, not much to comment on that. Expand
  49. Dec 1, 2012
    I played this game for around 3 weeks from release and sold the account for $140 with a lvl 80 warrior alone. The game is fun and interesting with new mechanics for the first few weeks. The story is somewhat decent. The action is pretty linear and easy for anyone to use, so it appeals to more new players in the GW series. For the more experienced players, there is little customizationI played this game for around 3 weeks from release and sold the account for $140 with a lvl 80 warrior alone. The game is fun and interesting with new mechanics for the first few weeks. The story is somewhat decent. The action is pretty linear and easy for anyone to use, so it appeals to more new players in the GW series. For the more experienced players, there is little customization of skills and weapons, so basically, everyone does the same thing. Compared to GW1, there is only single class so no adding a second, there are a small limited pool of skills for every class, there's a lot less strategy and skill involved since you can attack and use skills while moving and you can see your enemies' AOE landings before they hit the spot, and there are numerous game-breaking bugs. The PVP is very repetitive and doesn't give me any incentive to play it. Aside from these downs, the achievements systems is probably one of the best I've seen in any MMO. The graphics are pretty good even though they aren't optimized well for higher end systems yet. The quests are pretty average and mundane so yes you will do a lot of gathering wood for farmers and such. So for those of you considering the game, if you are new to MMOs and haven't played GW1, you will like this game. From the more experienced players, you will notice a lot of what made GW1 so great, has been removed and made it more geared towards new players. Interesting strategy considering it's much easier to keep your loyal customer base than trying to get new ones. They should have kept their strengths and simply tweaked and updated them. All around, some decent mechanics, but essentially, not much different from any other MMO out there. Expand
  50. Dec 2, 2014
    After about 2 years, this is my second review of this game, since I stopped playing GW2 for over a year and have started playing again recently. My score remains the same though, and here is why.

First off, regarding the negative reviews here - people are entitled to their opinion, and I would never criticize anyone for not liking this MMO because this game does not cater to everyone's tastes (but what game does, anyway...). But I would like to address a few points that were made:

- Not enough content: This often comes from players who have spent many hundred hours, some even over 1000 hours in the game. I would challenge anyone playing any game for such an extended period and still find it challenging, interesting, refreshing... there comes a point at which you will be finished with a game, and clearly some people have reached that point. I doubt they would have kept playing for this long if they hated it so much?

I'm maybe not your typical MMO player as I do tend to take things slowly, but just for comparison, I've played GW2 in total for around 450 hours now. I have 2 characters on lvl 80 plus some alts around lvl 55, and my main has just around 58% map completion. My other characters are hovering around the 25% mark. I know for myself that I will be striving for map completion on my main, but it's gonna take me a long time, and the one thing I can never complain about is lack of content. I do have a RL and I play a lot of other games, and if anything GW2 has too much content for me! I feel I'll never be able to see it all.

- Poor customer support: Some complaints were made about the lack of a phone number. Most gaming companies don't provide phone support, and for good reason, as it's often much easier to get customers to provide proper details in a written support ticket. ArenaNet do provide individual customer support, it's right there in their support section with an online ticket submit form. Their replies are prompt, professional and reasonable - we have had a support request which was dealt with in a more than satisfactory manner. I'm sure this was not just a lucky exception.

- GemStore: Yes ArenaNet promote spending money on the game. And yes, I have done so - I've bought bank slots, a character slot and a few other things I did not REALLY need. But, and it's a HUGE but - there is no subscription charge. Compared to other MMOs of equal quality, GW2 still works out much cheaper for me, without the choke of a subscription around my neck. Anyone expecting free content updates forever either doesn't respect the right of developers to gain an income for their hard work, or has no idea about financial realities in the business world.

I won't repeat what I wrote in my first review, because none of my old opinions have changed much. But I have to say that if anything, the game has become even better and richer since back then. The new meta-servers did introduce some lag issues but more recently, I have not encountered any lag any more. Whatever the cause was, it has been worked on. The meta-servers did enrich gameplay though, as you always will find people playing near you, and the game mechanics are such that this enhances your experience massively. You are encouraged to help each other all the time, and this leads to a very pleasant user community with practically zero toxicity - compare that to LoL if you wish!

TL;DR: After over 2 years and a long break, I'm still having a ton of fun in GW2 and I know I will enjoy this game for a long time to come. It's a cracker, and quite unique in the MMO market due to some revolutionary gameplay concepts. It may not appeal to everybody, but its production values and gorgeous scenery and art direction are undeniably there and speak for themselves.
  51. Dec 19, 2012
    Fun theme park style of game...DO not rush to the end. Sadly for the end game there really is NOT all that much to do. Worth the experience to try it though
  52. Aug 30, 2012
    This game is beauty incarnate. When discussions involving games being works of art occur, this game will be up there with Shadows of the Colossus and ICO.

Gameplay is brilliant. A mix between the old and the new really gives the combat its own unique flare. The leveling curve has you level up every 60-90 mins regardless of how close you are to the cap. In addition, you can level up in so may different ways, if you're ever bored of doing something, you can try something else.

This game is, imo, the best MMO on the market right now. I am giving it a 9 because even after all the stress tests, it still has a buggy trading post and mailing system. However, should those get fixed in the first week post launch, I'll change my score.

In short: buy it now, or buy it later; just make sure you make this one part of your PC library.
  53. Aug 30, 2012
    Amazing game. So much stuff to do. Loving all the additional activities, art direction and music. I've actually uninstalled all other games from my PC and left only GW2, cause that's all I'll need for the months to come. And the biggest advantage over other AAA MMOs is the lack of subscription. You don't feel any rush to do anything, and you play when you want and have the time for it. NoAmazing game. So much stuff to do. Loving all the additional activities, art direction and music. I've actually uninstalled all other games from my PC and left only GW2, cause that's all I'll need for the months to come. And the biggest advantage over other AAA MMOs is the lack of subscription. You don't feel any rush to do anything, and you play when you want and have the time for it. No feeling of wasted money if you're busy and can't play. I absolutely love it! Expand
  54. Aug 28, 2012
    Not sure what game the people who gave Zero's were playing. One person said "Mediocre graphics" lol what?!?! Get a better rig man, the graphics are amazing! A huge lush, detailed World to explore, I absolutely love the way this games looks. The game play is awesome. It
  55. Aug 28, 2012
    In my opinion this is the best MMO ever! The soundtrack is amazing, it's very addicting and it has beautiful graphics! My friends, here we have INNOVATION, it's quite rare nowadays. You just have to pay one time, no monthly fees.
  56. Aug 28, 2012
    Super early review time! After only a few days of being released, it isn't really appropriate to review an MMO, but I'm going to give it a shot. Let's start with the good news. Guild Wars 2, for me, basically grabbed a lot of the best ideas from other MMOs, and threw them all together, while adding a couple new things of it's own. You have dynamic events like Rifts, you have a qualitySuper early review time! After only a few days of being released, it isn't really appropriate to review an MMO, but I'm going to give it a shot. Let's start with the good news. Guild Wars 2, for me, basically grabbed a lot of the best ideas from other MMOs, and threw them all together, while adding a couple new things of it's own. You have dynamic events like Rifts, you have a quality personal story like you get in SWTOR, and you get "builds" and considerable class freedom like in the Secret World (although Guild Wars 2 does still have distinct classes). The biggest innovation is the "exploration" style gameplay. GW2 does not have quest hubs at all. You just run around the map exploring, tasks pop up on your screen, you do them if you feel like it, and then you run over to the next part of unexplored map, joining in dynamic events along the way (when they appear and if you feel like doing them). Even crafting has an explorer feel, as you mostly just make stuff and discover recipes through the "making stuff" process. In terms of running around wasting time, GW2 has mostly eliminated this. There's no flying around on a gryphon for 5 minutes in this game. If you want to go to a waypoint, you just click the icon on your map, and you go there. This is fantastic, and the game goes out of its way to not waste your time in most areas. This is probably linked to the wonderful lack of a subscription fee. Big points for that. Now for the bad news. Like the Hangover movies, in GW2, it's all just the same thing. Gameplay is very, very repetitive. In each zone, the scenery changes, but you're basically doing whatever you did in the previous zone. Your character also feels powerful at level 1, and doesn't really feel much more powerful as you level up and gain abilities. The feeling of "progression" seems a bit absent from this game. Also, in the "kind of bad" category, this game is addictive. It's really, really addictive, more so than other MMOs. This stems from the lack of natural breaks in the game (things like ok, I just cleared this quest hub, lets stop for today; GW2 lacks break points like this, it's just go go go). Even the standard pvp matches continually re-load new zones when your previous match finishes, and you have to actively quit to stop playing. This is great for not wasting your time, but bad for limiting the amount of time you spend in this game. You've been warned! On the whole, though, this is one of the best games of the year, and a must play for anyone that likes MMO style gameplay. Expand
  57. Aug 29, 2012
    They really hit the mark with this one. From the masterpiece artwork, to the intense pvp. The world versus world battles are of epic scale. Just strolling through the world Immerses you in so many ways. Plus to top it off, no subs. Things will never be the same in mmos.
  58. Aug 29, 2012
    This game is fantastic. I created an account on here just to write this review because ArenaNet deserves all the praise they get. I thought I would never play an MMO as I always liked FPS and every time I tried to get into them I always felt like it was grinding and boring and that really had little appeal. Every time I play this game there is an event going on in every part of the map.This game is fantastic. I created an account on here just to write this review because ArenaNet deserves all the praise they get. I thought I would never play an MMO as I always liked FPS and every time I tried to get into them I always felt like it was grinding and boring and that really had little appeal. Every time I play this game there is an event going on in every part of the map. The amount of focus the creators put on players helping out other players makes this game something truly special. You want to help a downed friend, not just because of the XP but because you've been there too and you know once you get that player up you can kill more together. The worlds are amazingly beautiful works of art as well. My first few days I just spent exploring because the thought put into designing the maps is just astounding. This game is hands down the best $60 I've ever spent. If you're a FPS only kind of guy and never thought you could play an MMO I highly recommend giving this one a try, you'll be glad you did. I sure am. Expand
  59. Aug 29, 2012
    Amazing game. The amount of detail that was put into this game is impressive and breathtaking. The combat is fluid. So many things were nailed on the head with this game that were stumbling blocks in previous MMOs (the crafting system, the gathering system, bank storage and collectibles, dynam. Was never a huge fan of Guild Wars 1, but this game has me and my wife completely hooked.
  60. Sep 1, 2012
    Short version: Nice, but nothing(literally nothing) special. Sound fx are hit and miss, at the worst annoying as hell. Some of them forced me to turn off sound. Too much particle effects kill any enjoyment from combat. Graphics go from good characters to bad textures. World is pleasant too look at only from a distance. Did I mention overblown particle effects? The world is big but theShort version: Nice, but nothing(literally nothing) special. Sound fx are hit and miss, at the worst annoying as hell. Some of them forced me to turn off sound. Too much particle effects kill any enjoyment from combat. Graphics go from good characters to bad textures. World is pleasant too look at only from a distance. Did I mention overblown particle effects? The world is big but the size feels like forced. Story can described in one word: filler. It has good parts, mind you. But too far apart to call it good as a whole. Whole dynamic event thing is glorified filler. Only thing that makes this game is combat. It is too "spam the same button" for my taste but still good. In summary: It is worth the box price but doesn't ask for a sub fee because it isn't worth a sub fee. Expand
  61. Sep 2, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is the new revolution from the brilliant minds over at Arena Net. Playing GW2 for the first time is one of those exceptional feelings you experience only a certain number of times in you're gaming career. Incredible ideas converge with intense, masterfully crafted combat, and the most beautiful visuals ever seen in an MMO to create a mind-blowing masterpiece. The world isGuild Wars 2 is the new revolution from the brilliant minds over at Arena Net. Playing GW2 for the first time is one of those exceptional feelings you experience only a certain number of times in you're gaming career. Incredible ideas converge with intense, masterfully crafted combat, and the most beautiful visuals ever seen in an MMO to create a mind-blowing masterpiece. The world is alive in GW2 and exploring it on you're own or with friends really is astounding. There are times when you will have to just stop and slowly pan you're camera around you to take in the absolutely stunning sites you will see throughout the gameworld, combined with a rediculous amount of attention to detail. The dynamic events are perfectly placed throughout the world and calling out for help in "Map" chat to see 20 people rushing into a hidden underwater cave to team up against the mean Blood Witch really is one of those wow moments that shows how well GW2 brings players together without forcing them to party up. If you aren't playing GW2 already(which you should), please do yourself a favor and checkout what is MMO's best chance of knocking off the reigning MMO titan....lookout WoW, GW2 is here. Expand
  62. Sep 14, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is the most original MMO in an over saturated market. This game continues to entertain and deliver new thrills. Arena Net has designed a game that encourages exploration and makes the world feel vast and alive. Guild Wars 2 has also created the most dynamic and interesting combat system. If you try to just button mash or spam an attack you will not succeed. The end gameGuild Wars 2 is the most original MMO in an over saturated market. This game continues to entertain and deliver new thrills. Arena Net has designed a game that encourages exploration and makes the world feel vast and alive. Guild Wars 2 has also created the most dynamic and interesting combat system. If you try to just button mash or spam an attack you will not succeed. The end game content is vast and very challenging. This creates an environment where everyone wants to compete and play since the dungeons are designed for 5 players only. Each one of the 5 players are required to play and if they have a weakness it will be exposed. The crafting system is a breath of fresh air and never feels tedious or awkward. I highly suggest this game to any type of gamer. Guild Wars 2 offers something for any game type. Expand
  63. Sep 29, 2012
    Na, na, na, na, na, na, na na, na, na, na, na, na, na Guil Wars 2, no fees, no the boring trinity world vs world ......... .......

Again, no fees, pay, play and play when ati, you exit the [.......]. There is NOTHING in the current market, you do shadow, NOTHING, not ever compare with the failed and rehash MOP WOW, that Bli $ $, not interested in their customers, they are interested

Again, no fees, pay, play and play when ati, you exit the [.......].

There is NOTHING in the current market, you do shadow, NOTHING, not ever compare with the failed and rehash MOP WOW, that Bli $ $, not interested in their customers, they are interested in your wallet, good for all companies as well, but other caregivers better than others.
  64. May 9, 2013
    I started playing GW2 end september and I'm still playing it. I have over 1000 hours of gameplay already and I keep coming back. GW2 enjoyed me every moment: When I was leveling, I loved exploring the maps, on my way to a Point of Interest A thing you need to 'complete' you map I encountered countless Dynamic Events. Some of them were boring, others were fun and interesting, sometimesI started playing GW2 end september and I'm still playing it. I have over 1000 hours of gameplay already and I keep coming back. GW2 enjoyed me every moment: When I was leveling, I loved exploring the maps, on my way to a Point of Interest A thing you need to 'complete' you map I encountered countless Dynamic Events. Some of them were boring, others were fun and interesting, sometimes even a small story that is told with Dynamic events. This form of PvE is only one of the few amazing things in GW2. Honestly, I love every aspect of the game.
    When I hitted Lvl 80 (Max level), I started playing WvW more often, first it seemed a bit confusing, but I learnt fast, there are awesome, large scale battles. Many people think that WvW is just running around mindless on the map... It really is not, you need a sense for tactics. You need to place siege on the best locations possible and you need to learn to use your supplies when the time is right. The two other forms of PvP are sPvP and tPvP. Both focus on smaller scale battles, on smaller maps. Not many tactics are involved, just kill and take areas for points that will contribute to your victory. There also are alternate objectives that differ for any map, these give extra points or bonus stats that makes you more powerful. Both sPvP and tPvP are part of a different leveling system called glory, though this rank really doesn't matter, unless you want good looking armor and weaponskins.
    Back to PvE now, apart from Open World PvE and Dynamic Events, there also are dungeons. Dungeons for me are not that exciting. Dungeon mobs are very strong, and regular mobs can kill you in a few hits. Because of those reasons, I don't run Dungeons that much.
    Then you also have your "Personal Story", not that amazing, unlike you are like me and be a lover of the GW lore and story and you just want to know what happens.

Come with that ANet rolls out a major content update every month, useally with both permament and temporary content. All this awesomeness packed in a game that you only have to pay once, because there is no monthly fee. It was absolutly worth my 55 bucks.
    Why not a 10? There are still annoying bugs ingame that need a fix.
  65. Nov 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GW2 is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Visually it's good, but not fantastic, and the game play animation has a strange feel to it. Some call it floaty, some call it bloaty. The game play itself is also average. Some interesting combat mechancis in that different weapon combinations open up different skills, and the crafting mechanics shared across all your characters, are welcome features i've not seem on the other mmo's, but as will all mmo's its go here kill that go here collect this. Not quite on red snapper levels but it's still there. The game heavily promotes the 'personal story' making out that its all about you creating your own legend. In this Anet has completely failed. Sorry Anet. It's a linear story line with poor voice acting. It doesnt even have real world animation, just odd cut scenes that detach you from the game. Most of the story isnt about what you do, its about you following instructions like a good little peon. The game lacks depth to a newcomer unfamiliar with the GW world and background. Very little draws you in to the world. For a one of price its a reasonable game with some interesting new touches but nothing to really get excited over. However, zones feel empty, servers are already struggling to attract new players, and there are the usual requests to merge servers or transfer to better ones. If this was pay to play it would be worrying. Expand
  66. Jan 10, 2015
    Guild Wars 2 is probably, as of now, the current best MMO on the market. And that's really an insight into the current trend of MMO's. The idea that an MMO is about exploration and living in a new world, reaping the benefits of what should be fun non-stagnant gameplay, has now become set in stone as a repetitive grindfest upon a treadmill that you, as the player, now thread on.

MMO's

MMO's have not changed. Concepts might be new, in some cases, and the gameplay might take on different forms, but in the end, it is always the same. You do a quest. You level up. You kill stuff. you level up. You do dungeons together and level up, collect that epic loot at the end of the tunnel.

So what's wrong with all that? Nothing, except for that the mechanics have not changed since the invention of the MMO. Guild Wars 2 was suppose to be revolutionary, instead, it only proved to be a clone of what has come prefer. A clone that comes in prettier graphics with different mechanics that are essentially unchanged, just done differently.

Today's MMO's are a bit like candy: They come in all different flavors, and the consumer likes to take a nipple at each one now and again. When they come across a flavor that they like, they'll consume it until they are full and sick of it, and then move on to the next fad.

Guild Wars 2 is quite cleverly designed in that it looks revolutionary from the outside, but once you get into it, and discover its rather bland and mundane crafting system that is really only useful at the top-tiers, or its horrendous spam loot system that spams you with useless loot, you'll see that it really is nothing different.

Sure the graphics are quite good, probably the best of any current market MMO, but graphics will only get you so far. Guild Wars 2 is the prime example of stagnant. As a player who was in the beta and pumped a lot of hours into this game, I can tell you right now that having briefly jumped back into it recently, nothing has changed. Guild Wars 2 opened to the public on its launch day and has essentially been left as it is with no drastic improvements or features other than perhaps byte-size ones. The devs have adopted a policy of no expansions for the game, while they have not ruled it out completely, the issue is moot. Guild Wars 2 looks to remain as it is for quite sometime.

Leveling up in Guild Wars 2 is also a dull affair. Some of the top weapons are not that great, crafting, as I said earlier, is really beneficial if you pump a load of hours into it. Low-tier and mid-tier crafting is useless other than getting your skills up. *yawn*

Character progression is subtle and rather bland. You really do not feel that the extra 3% bonus you'll get from progression will help you, and it is incredibly boring when most of your level up is done in incredibly small increments.

But the worse offender... and my main pet hate of Guild Wars 2, and any MMO for that matter, is the quests. O god the quests! The Hello Kitty Quests!

Guild Wars 2 perhaps has the most non-offensive yet offensive quests imaginable. Did I create a Necromancer in this game just to go around and throw snowballs at unsupervised kids? Why do I have to be turned into a 'cat' and then to subsequently 'pee' on bushes to stir rabbits from them... Why do I have to help the farmer with catching her piglets? Yes... Anyone who has played MMO's knows the story here, nothing new...

But Guild Wars 2 just took it to a whole new level. Lets not get into the rather mundane personal story quest that perhaps wins the award for the most anti-climatic end ever in a story. The Guild Wars 2 quests drove me mad. It's as if their target audience was that of a twelve year old girl who sits around and watches the Disney channel all day. That's the sort of level you can expect here. Sure, I'm not asking for Guild Wars 2 to contain a more mature content or a darker atmosphere (o wait, I am!) but I would have liked a lot less of the rather stupidly mundane quests. Even the first GW game was less annoying than this.

Honestly, despite the fact that I said GW2 is the best mmo on the market, there are a few contenders. Age of Conan is for one a rather enjoyable affair. GW2 just happens to be the big elephant in the room that dwarfs all the others, and it is a damn shame that it's not as revolutionary as it could be, and all it is, is a rather mundane bland adventure into a fantasy land.
  67. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is the long awaited sequel and it's been worth every day of the wait. Fun dynamic events that chain together, In-depth personal story, engaging combat. Guild Wars 2 is a well polished MMO. Worth every penny.
  68. Aug 28, 2012
    So many things to find, so many hidden areas, treasures that exist in incredibly out of the way places just for fun. My expectations were high going into this, they were exceeded.
  69. Aug 29, 2012
    Love the game. Best of all, no monthly fee. We'll see how things are 6 months from now content-wise. One small downside is the way you pick servers and how all your toons are solely on that server.
  70. Aug 29, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 gives you an amazing fantasy world to explore. Many times have i been on a mission only to get sidetracked by something at the horizon, a group of players running past me clearly onto something interesting, NPC:s chatter hinting at hidden stuff and last but not least hidden jumping puzzles with even more hidden content!
    Do Not Play This Game As Other MMO:s!
    Dont just do the
    Do Not Play This Game As Other MMO:s!
    Dont just do the Renown hearts and think that thats it, explore, think outside the box and you will be rewarded with hundreds of hours of pure joy.
    The engine isnt the best out there but thanks to the fantastic artists at A-net the game looks astonishing with a new sight around every corner.
    At the moment of writing this theres some problem with the Party and Trading features but thats minor issues that will be sorted quickly im sure.

This is a Must Buy!
  71. Aug 29, 2012
    Best MMO out there for old hardcore MMO veterans that have families. Doesn't matter if you have all the time in the world or only a few hours a day, Guild Wars 2 is the most enjoyable MMO out there. The PvP is visceral and skill-based, and most of all extremely engaging.
  72. Aug 29, 2012
    I followed the development of this game for years.
    I played all betas and I can say that the game delivers what it promises.
    I followed the development of this game for years.
    I played all betas and I can say that the game delivers what it promises.

Some problems occurred at launch, worse than in betas, but this is normal in any launch of a massive online game. Even with these problems the servers are full and yet I had no trouble logging in, the game has no queue, when an area is full you is sent to overflow server to play the game while waiting for a vacancy on the real server, all what you do in the overflow is kept on your character, that's wonderful! The dynamic event system is also wonderful but not when you have over 100 people on it, when people spread the maps we can see how the events are fun with a reasonable amount of people, and how the events change the world! Many people make the events and leave the place without waiting a few minutes to see the change happening! The world seems Alive! NPCs have their tasks, they do not stand around waiting for the player, they do things without players!

ArenaNet made no changes to spoil the game. If someone bought the game thinking that something is wrong then it should not have bought! They will not make drastic changes in their combat, PVP and quest systems to please the haters, just some tweaks that all MMOs have.

The game delivers what it promises, then people should read up on the features before buying.
    One thing that you will only find with it on hands is that it is fun, but you need to learn how to play, do not play it thinking you know everything because you're a veteran of other MMOs
  73. Oct 2, 2012
    This game has its great and its not so great I loved the pvp it was great I love every second when i play, yet the questing and zones for me do not feel right, the quests feel like a grind always killing and collecting which for me is very annoying and quite tiresome the zones although beautiful do not feel like they apart of a world but more of a playground of stuff for you to kill. ForThis game has its great and its not so great I loved the pvp it was great I love every second when i play, yet the questing and zones for me do not feel right, the quests feel like a grind always killing and collecting which for me is very annoying and quite tiresome the zones although beautiful do not feel like they apart of a world but more of a playground of stuff for you to kill. For me this game was also hyped up too much, I felt that when everytime i saw a trailer that i needed this game, well i do not believe it lived up to this hype. Expand
  74. Jan 19, 2014
    Truly awful game that doesn't deliver on its promises. Gameplay is boring and samey across all classes. It DOES NOT get rid of grinding, it only disguises it with banal distractions like "water these plants for XP!" Avoid.
  75. Aug 30, 2012
    I play mmos since WoW came out. I literally tried out everything since then. I know there are more HC gamers, who started before me. For me this game is the best MMO I ever played with yet, I really do not have anything to add. Easily a 10/10 for the time being.
  76. Nov 10, 2012
    Best MMO I have played ever. It is really good. WoW fanbois dont like it, because it isnt reliant on a gear treadmill and requires skill. This game is REALLY good. I love it.
  77. Aug 28, 2012
    OK, cant logon to servers, so I'm taking my time to write this :). Took pre-purchase. Played for some 35 hours already. Now, I did have 1 guild wars 1 game, but I didnt like it, so I didnt play it very long, hence I cant compare this game to guild wars 1. But I can tell you that this game has been huge fun for me for the past 3 days, and thats only start :). It seems that people inOK, cant logon to servers, so I'm taking my time to write this :). Took pre-purchase. Played for some 35 hours already. Now, I did have 1 guild wars 1 game, but I didnt like it, so I didnt play it very long, hence I cant compare this game to guild wars 1. But I can tell you that this game has been huge fun for me for the past 3 days, and thats only start :). It seems that people in arenanet have done their research, looked for everything that players of MMO's didnt like, and found a way around that. Materials clogging your backpack? you can put them in a bank from anywhere in the world. Production made easy cause you can access the bank directly from that window. If an area is full of players, and the game would be laggy otherwise, you will be thrown into overflow (copy of that area) to wait your queue. Everything you do in overflow counts just as it would if youre on a main zone. I understand that some people find this a minus, but to me it's realistic solution to computer and networking limits we have today. World vs Word is everything I hoped Warhammer online would be (warhammer looks like a todlers game in comparison). Before I thought that 10 keys in total would be somewhat on a minus side, but trust me, combinations are endless and fun, and you will use that 10 keys, not like wow where you have ton of abilities of which you use what? 3 keys for pve and additional 2 for pvp?
    Graphic is nothing groundbraking, but looks very very nice. Caracter control are inferior to those of wow (again), but better than any other MMO I have tried, so close 2nd :). All in all, this is a game that knows the limits of todays technology, and deals with them in a right way. Programmers were not on drugs (hey, give us 300 million dollars, we will make you best game ever in the whole unknown and known universe, riight). And most importantly, this game is fun to play :).
  78. Aug 28, 2012
    So far so good. I absolutely love the art style and the combat, while very shallow at a first glance, is incredibly deep and demanding. The launch has been incredibly smooth and I have had no problems accessing the 3 day headstart. I am very pleased with the game and I am fully happy with my purchase.
  79. Aug 28, 2012
    What the reviews say is in fact the truth. ^^
    Yes, some minor things need to be ironed out, but the game just launched. It is also really nice to see such a great community. Seems like a lot of sane people are playing this game...unlike let's say another MMO.
  80. Oct 2, 2012
    Fans of fantasy RPG have had to wait a long time for a game where they can imagine themselves as heroes in 'another world' without paying by the month for it. This game fills a gap that Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2 both sorely failed to fill. Guild Wars 2 scratches the itch of Fantasy RPG fans with an expansive, beautifully presented world. There is exploration, crafting, swords and sorcery.Fans of fantasy RPG have had to wait a long time for a game where they can imagine themselves as heroes in 'another world' without paying by the month for it. This game fills a gap that Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2 both sorely failed to fill. Guild Wars 2 scratches the itch of Fantasy RPG fans with an expansive, beautifully presented world. There is exploration, crafting, swords and sorcery. There are guilds and social elements if you need them, or you can solo if you prefer. If you want PVP. There are plenty of different builds to play around with, and five races to delve into. The developers appear to be doing their best to offer a gamer-friendly experience and have certainly worked very hard to make this game big enough and flexible enough for everyone except the most head-up-the-arse hard core-nutters. The elements of killing mobs and bosses, and grinding levels are all familiar, and not really better than youve already seen elsewhere. But the art IS better. Many small details of presentation ARE improved. And the pay-once play-forever model is a SUPERB challange for Blizzard to start trying to earn money with better games rather than milking and exploiting their customer base all the way. If you are an RPG fan, you can't go wrong with this game. If you haven't tried an MMO before THIS is the place to start. If you play WOW and are curious, play some of a friends account and choose whichever game you prefer. Thanks Arenanet for expanding our choices, and thanks for Trying to upgrade and evolve the model. If this game gets Blizzard to try harder we all win. For that reason alone... for daring to compete we should all appreciate and applaud what this game represents. The trolls giving this game 0s and 1s should understand just how this game might end up helping them enjoy better games at better prices and repost with scores that reflect an understanding of how Arenanet efforts will finally IMPROVE their gaming experience. 8/10 for the game. 10/10 due to its entirely positive influence on game design for those games to come which will be better and cheaper because of Guild Wars 2. Expand
  81. Aug 29, 2012
    The game is absolutely gorgeous, they are tons of stuff to do in this game and very varied ones, you really are never bored playing it and want to stay a bit longer each time you have to go to bed :p One of my best mmo and i'm a computer gamer since the first apple c. Thumbs up to Anet and thank you for that great game.
  82. Sep 20, 2012
    Like many others - Ive now played alot more and Ive got abit of diffrent opinions about few things. The big bad thing about the game is the dungeons. They are just bad in so many ways. The settings are underwhelming. The encounters are just boring most of the time, unbalance and now ANet devs have changed alot of things and broken ALOT and created alot of new bugs that make them evenLike many others - Ive now played alot more and Ive got abit of diffrent opinions about few things. The big bad thing about the game is the dungeons. They are just bad in so many ways. The settings are underwhelming. The encounters are just boring most of the time, unbalance and now ANet devs have changed alot of things and broken ALOT and created alot of new bugs that make them even worse. FOr example - ppl are not getting rewards cause of a bug that penalies ppl that run the dungeons to quickly. THe thing is - some ppl that are not doing speed runs are still getting low or no rewards.

SO stay away from the dungeons if you want to enjoy the game abit longer. If your like me - you would probably quit when you see how badly they are designed and implemented.
  83. Nov 20, 2012
    Overhyped. The graphics are excellent at the time of launch, but the good features stop there. It has a disguised form of grinding that tries to fool players into thinking they are not grinding while doing exactly what grinding is: repeated kills over and over.
    The classes are a huge let down. Most have cool animations and effects but these have no impact on gameplay as the abilities are weak and generic. All classes can do all the functions as melee damage, ranged damage, healing and support and as such excel at none which just furthers the feeling of weak classes. Furthermore you can be up-leveled (rarely) or down-leveled (more commonly) to provide a fixed challenge level. While some people like the constant challenge, this only increases the feeling of weakness since you can never enjoy the power you accrued.
    Mobs are repeated through several areas, just leveled up and with maybe a different name (not always), which contributes to the tedium after a while.
    Add to all this that it has no demo nor trial nor the possibility to sell the game you bought (as per the aggreement) nor a money-back guarantee and we have a trap where we just sank our money. All this fear of losing money on the part of the company only reflects a lack of confidence on the tittle.

Bottom-line: not worth it.
  84. Nov 11, 2012
    I tried really hard to like this game, seeing how I played the first Guild Wars for 7 years. I'm mainly here to score the game because 8.1 is a farce. It was a huge let down for myself. However, i would highly recommend the game to people who may not be familiar with the first or don't want to pay subscription fees. The Graphics aren't that much of an improvement over the first... If youI tried really hard to like this game, seeing how I played the first Guild Wars for 7 years. I'm mainly here to score the game because 8.1 is a farce. It was a huge let down for myself. However, i would highly recommend the game to people who may not be familiar with the first or don't want to pay subscription fees. The Graphics aren't that much of an improvement over the first... If you have a high end gaming machine like I do... you'll notice very little difference... you can tell they catered to the low to mid level gamer machine. Not that that's bad or anything but come on people... time to upgrade your computers, you're ruining it for the rest of us who do upgrade. It was said that the grind would be gone... no, the grind is still there, except now it has a dress on and its not that pretty. You're still going to grind. I was very very disappointed in the skill system, skills are now bound to weapons instead of having a choice. There are no longer dual professions and no way to create uber builds. You no longer have to use your brain to calculate a build. They've dumbed it down to make balancing the game easier for the company and the mediocre players. You now pay a fee to portal, which isn't so much a gripe if the wait time wasn't so ridiculous (and no, it's not my connection, I'm on a T3 line). There are many bugs within game play, sometimes I wonder if they didn't pay attention to the beta trials or if they even played the game themselves. The story line... is okay. Puzzles and W-v-W is okay. The dungeons are where its at... but again, here comes the grind. I give this a 3 because its a three for me... but for someone else... I would say a 5 or 6. Expand
  85. Dec 16, 2012
    A highly overrated and heavily bug infested game, it started out well with Guild Wars 2 looking like a rare real jewel in an ocean of other mediocre MMOS, with the developers keeping true to their manifestos, unfortunately that didn't last long and the game has been going down hill with the developers constantly changing the feel of the game that its hardly recognizable to its originalA highly overrated and heavily bug infested game, it started out well with Guild Wars 2 looking like a rare real jewel in an ocean of other mediocre MMOS, with the developers keeping true to their manifestos, unfortunately that didn't last long and the game has been going down hill with the developers constantly changing the feel of the game that its hardly recognizable to its original release. Its OK if you like the same of old style MMOS, but if not then you are suddenly left with a feeling of betrayal and anger that can no longer be compensated. With the companies obvious lies and attempts to hide the truth by deleting anything negative written on their official sites, they show what a vile and selfish money grabbing company they really are. Expand
  86. Aug 28, 2012
    Definitely the next generation of MMOs and easily the MMO of the Year. World of Warcraft should learn something by Guild Wars 2. You don't alienate your fans just for the sake of the almighty bottom dollar. Guild Wars 2 is a lush, beautiful, vibrant game that takes you in and never lets you go. There is something for everyone here, whether you are a hardcore or casual player. The craftingDefinitely the next generation of MMOs and easily the MMO of the Year. World of Warcraft should learn something by Guild Wars 2. You don't alienate your fans just for the sake of the almighty bottom dollar. Guild Wars 2 is a lush, beautiful, vibrant game that takes you in and never lets you go. There is something for everyone here, whether you are a hardcore or casual player. The crafting is robust and fun and there is a reward lurking behind every little thing in this game which keeps you coming back time and time again. Herald in the new King of MMOs cause this bad boy is going no where anytime soon. Best of all its free to play! You have nothing to lose purchasing this game! Expand
  87. Aug 28, 2012
    Reasons why I love guild wars 2 [not a review]
    Every MMO I played generally states that humans are a new race and they are so majestic, dignified and young race. Guild wars 2 is different instead they say they are a **** up race who **** up so much that they are left to such a small kingdom.
    Reasons why I love guild wars 2 [not a review]
    Everything/Anything I do gives me XP, So i dont have to worry about grinding at all and the dynamic events you like you are given the same XP for any number of times you try.
    Professions and their powers are way different than other MMOs, you dont have to reach level 30 to get a specific good spell. At level 7 you can have 10 different spells from 2 weapons you can swap, one healing power and one utility power. And the interface is so clean.
    you dont have to wait in queues, you can play all the time[thanks to overflow servers]. You can be level 80 anytime in W v W v W and have fun.
    And the best one No monthly fee

there are so many articles, reviews stating their experiences in guild wars 2, which are so overwhelming, if you are reading this probably you have already read all those. So I am not gonna share my experiences all over again. I would just say "you know how MMO are supposed to be that alternate life where you lose yourself and enjoy and you can be awesome at it, GUILD WARS 2 does this best". If you enjoy RPG or MMO, this is a must buy. It is just 60$ for life, what is wrong with it. Buy it now.
  88. Aug 29, 2012
    Great game. Only problem at launch is the lag, they got more players than they expected obviously. And I've encountered a few bugs. But given that the game is just out, I'll let that pass. The design is excellent, love the atmosphere of the game. It's better than WoW in my opinion as a leveling game, but I've yet to experience the end-game content so this rating may change in the future.
  89. Nov 26, 2012
    After playing this game since release, ArenaNet are probably one of the most inefficient developers ever to grace the MMO industry. The game is riddled with bugs only to be riddled with more bugs every update. These bugs rarely even get fixed let alone be noticed. Take note that they have a tendency to ignore genuine player complaints and they fail to keep their promises. The fact thatAfter playing this game since release, ArenaNet are probably one of the most inefficient developers ever to grace the MMO industry. The game is riddled with bugs only to be riddled with more bugs every update. These bugs rarely even get fixed let alone be noticed. Take note that they have a tendency to ignore genuine player complaints and they fail to keep their promises. The fact that their PvP side of the game doesn't even have a global leaderboard is certainly troubling (yeah, e-sport, right). The PvP is a huge let down (the only mode is conquest) and the PvE side is just subpar. Class balance is totally out of whack. The actual classes have bugs from the beta to this day. The developers are slow and incompetent and It's honestly inexcusable. They'll be the ones to actually kill their own game.

I originally gave this a 10 but it looked so great at release. Now they've shown their true colors when it comes to how horrible of a slow and inefficient development team they are. I'm pretty much fed up with MMO's after this.
  90. Aug 28, 2012
    10/10 definitely. DE's are an awesome change from the traditional questing system. Combat is more tactical, skill based and fun than any other MMO. WvWvW creates a setting for meaningful PvP. The game is one of the better looking MMO's on the market. It's got some issues atm though, traders down and the overflow system is a massive pain... but with that said, it's still a 10/10. Most fun10/10 definitely. DE's are an awesome change from the traditional questing system. Combat is more tactical, skill based and fun than any other MMO. WvWvW creates a setting for meaningful PvP. The game is one of the better looking MMO's on the market. It's got some issues atm though, traders down and the overflow system is a massive pain... but with that said, it's still a 10/10. Most fun I've had in an MMO in a very long time. Expand
  91. Aug 29, 2012
    Absolutely superb game. It does have some issues right now with server stability etc, but what MMO doesn't on launch?
    I love the dynamic questing, really makes you feel part of the world. beautiful artistic style throughout. Can't praise it enough.
  92. Oct 3, 2012
    First of all: Sorry about my english

Deception. That's how I define this game. I simply can't understand why big-official-reviews could give this a 10 out of 10. I loved Guild Wars. I have all 4 games and had a great time. So... If the production team is the same (which I don't think so) how could they turn a wonderful game franchise into this? Graphics and environements are fancy,
    First of all: Sorry about my english

Graphics and environements are fancy, beautiful and epic. You really feel like you're in Tyria. Guild and crafting systems are the best I've ever seen in all MMO's or RPG's. Character customization, existent items and dungeons are cool too.

But that's it. Questing system is incredibly boring.. And not only the secondary quests are repetitive and boring. Primary quests too. Dialogues are sooo simple... They doesn't give you any explanations. It's just: 'This happened. Do this' You can easlily predict what they're going to say. Feels like NPC's were put for stetic and environement purposes only. That's what the game feels like: 60% stetic, 40% game. The game doesn't care if you played GW or not: No explanations about history or environement are given. Combat system might be cool at first, but then gets repetitive and boring. Mobs are few. You can walk from side to side without engaging a single foe. And if you engage anything, it should be a 1v1 fight. Even if there are a lot of types of weapons, the weapon-attached skill system it's a joke. You just spam what it's not cooldown. You don't need to think, just act. And that premise works for everything. You don't need to think about the stuff in your inventory, since you have a button that, no matter where you are, makes that you can put your crafting items in storage. Also, there are a lot of merchants en each map. And speaking about maps... Exploration is a joke too. Death doesn't feel like a burden. You can die over and over and you feel like: "Whatever man. I'll just keep going." Death penalty is almost non-existent and broken armors doesn't suppose much trouble, since there are a TON of waypoints. You don't even need to walk in this game. Looks like they made it for lazy players. Every single map consists in doing the same thing over and over. Around 11 quests per map (auto asigned. You don't even need to talk to a NPC to activate or finish it). Those 11 quest are exactly the same: Go to an area, interact with 3 or 4 things and kill some foes. Even if the purpose is different, it is exactly the same. After that, there are 6 or 7 challenges, wich consist on pressing F on a place and waiting 4 or 5 seconds or killing a strong foe. Then you got the views (get to a point, press F and admire the views) and the exploration thing (discover waypoints and places). And that's all you'll do from map to map. Doesn't matter if it's a 1-17 lvl map or a 50-60 lvl map) The only thing worth to enjoy on each map are those dynamic events. You can win them or lose them. But... Almost always victory is guaranteed because there are like 10 or 15 other players completing it. So you just need to watch.

Underwater playthrough feels like stated above but worse. That part it's boring, anoying, with awful control... I'll just state 'Oh my god'.

I could go on, and on, and on but I don't have more time and my english is not that great.

Conclusion: Comparing MMO's, this doesn't even get the 6 out of 10 I gave it... But... It depends on what kind of gamer you are. If you're a casual gamer, you might enjoy Guild Wars 2 and think about this as a 8 out of 10. You might enjoy it. If you're an experienced MMO player, I don't recommend this to you FOR NOW. (It might get better in the future). If you're an average gamer, I don't recommend this to you either.
  93. Nov 30, 2012
    Played this game for a couple of months and found that its just too buggy. Many dungeons to not work and the new fractals dungeons crash constantly (usually toward the end). The game is full of cheaters and its just a very bad game would not recommend it to anyone. Give it a year or so for them to work out the bugs and stop the blatant cheating.
  94. Feb 14, 2013
    This is a tacky review, sorry.
    This is a tacky review, sorry.
    THE GOOD: The aesthetics of this game are amazing. If you like looking at pretty pictures and running around a finely crafted world listening to good voice acting telling a better than average story then you are in luck. THE BAD: GW2 plays like a bunch of people who really liked playing pvp as dps classes on WoW got together and made a game. The laundry list of boons/conditions that all last half a milisecond quickly becomes meaningless spam that does not lend itself well to a game you play for hours on end (pve that is, it is great for pvp). Though overall most things about the gameplay are frantic and after a short time get filtered out. Along the same lines the constant battles when you travel anywhere get tiresome. Sorry, I liked being able to run freely through newb zones in other games without constant harassment. Hey devs, if you wanted people to play together why did you put in 80 levels? Because WoW has 80 levels? Exactly. The leveling down is a cool feature, but is forced on you like so much else in GW2. Speaking of which, not being able to assign your own weapon ability hotkeys! This throwback to when games sucked for technical limitations is inexcusable in 2012/3.
    THE UGLY: Abandoning the mmo trinity makes for a chaotic cluster#### in groups. Dungeons feel like 5 individuals who happen to be doing the same thing instead of a group working together. Along those same lines the zone/group chat on GW2 is the quietest and lamest of any mmo I have played, though maybe that was just my server. Lastly, butter. This vendor will sell me milk, cheese, sour cream, and BUTTERmilk, but if I want butter I have to go kill monsters? The asari can build portals all around the world but haven't figured out butter? Why is a cave dwelling monster man able to make butter (into perfect bars that they carry in cloth bags) but nobody at the huge crafts/artisan market in the sprawling city can? What crap.
    VERDICT: A very pretty package for a game that makes huge advances for MMOs while still managing to be a WoW clone that utterly fails at finding good solutions to MMO problems. Maybe worth a playthrough for the story in a purely solo run, but overall a bad online game.
  95. Aug 29, 2012
    The character model is too 2d sprite-like and does not have a feeling of solidness. The graphic engine of DAOC which released so many years ago feel more right than this game. Otherwise I would give it a higher score.
  96. Aug 29, 2012
    I played wow since the beginning. Aion, Rift, Terra, TSW, and SWTOR. I do not recall ever being this excited playing a game in a long time, probably not since wow was released. This game really started to bring back those old gaming excitement I thought may have died quite honestly. This game is about having extreme fun, even for the myself who I would label a Min/Maxer-PvPer. Game art isI played wow since the beginning. Aion, Rift, Terra, TSW, and SWTOR. I do not recall ever being this excited playing a game in a long time, probably not since wow was released. This game really started to bring back those old gaming excitement I thought may have died quite honestly. This game is about having extreme fun, even for the myself who I would label a Min/Maxer-PvPer. Game art is unreal, the story mode is actually something I like, first for an MMO. The lvling process is great. PvP is fantastic (EX S1,S2,S2,S4 Gladiator btw), finally a game gets CC done right.

This game does so much right. This is going to be the clone of MMOs going forward, no doubt.
  97. Sep 4, 2012
    I am hooked. What an impressive MMO. You are fed the feeling of "raid" from other MMOs CONSTANTLY through simply doing tasks. Events happen nearby and everyone rushes there to get a huge amount of XP. You're left with HUGE battles that are extremely satisfying.

I can't believe how imaginative this game is! Its graphics are top notch for an MMO. The controls feels very natural and I keep wondering how it could be any better. World vs World PVP?!? I mean come on, you can't beat that. Loads of fun to be had in this addictive game.

Great job ArenaNet! I'm officially hooked.
  98. Sep 13, 2012
    Seriously the most innovative MMO.

Any low reviews are people with out-dated computers, WoW fanboys or outright Blizzard employees.

There is NOTHING bad about this game.
  99. Sep 16, 2012
    Game in which everyone will find something for you. No matter how much time you can dedicate to game, you can fully enjoy it. I think this is what make it completely different from other MMO games.
  100. Aug 30, 2012
    I did not attend any beta events for Guild Wars 2, but after all the hype surrounding this game I took the chance and purchased it. I was really disappointed I did. The animations are horrible, and the controls/combat feel very clunky. As do quest mechanics, and interface. I am not too keen on the character models either. Performance wise, I have an Intel i5 3570k and nVidia GTX 680 butI did not attend any beta events for Guild Wars 2, but after all the hype surrounding this game I took the chance and purchased it. I was really disappointed I did. The animations are horrible, and the controls/combat feel very clunky. As do quest mechanics, and interface. I am not too keen on the character models either. Performance wise, I have an Intel i5 3570k and nVidia GTX 680 but my FPS still dips to 30 FPS regularly. The environments and ambient music are both nice, but that is about all. I paid 75 Euro for this and I expected much more from ArenaNET. Collapse

2. Jan 2, 2013