• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. Dec 18, 2014
    **** game **** gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t**** game **** gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t gameshi.t game Expand
  2. Dec 11, 2014
    This game is way too grindy.

The gameplay mechanics are incompatible with the control scheme. A gamepad would have worked better than the keyboard/mouse setup.

Having said that, an RPG should never try to be a platform game. Especially a PC RPG. That's why they're RPGs.

The targetting system is unstable and inaccurate.

The camera is in constant conflict with the movement controls.
  3. Nov 27, 2014
    Game Support is **** I buy the game download it. First time to log in. "Account has been suspended" Like WTF? Try to contact support but guess what.. no telephone number. This company is **** and this game is **** DO NOT BUY
  4. Nov 6, 2014
    Amazing game. Outstanding game. Just a shame that PvP is trash and WvW gets boring after about a month. Dungeons are no challenge and too easy to farm. Gear is way too easy to obtain (yes including legendary). After level 80 the game slows down and creating another character is the most boring thing on the face of the earth. Not to mention the story is a big big let down towards the endAmazing game. Outstanding game. Just a shame that PvP is trash and WvW gets boring after about a month. Dungeons are no challenge and too easy to farm. Gear is way too easy to obtain (yes including legendary). After level 80 the game slows down and creating another character is the most boring thing on the face of the earth. Not to mention the story is a big big let down towards the end with small rewards and underwhelming plot. The living story was supposed to bring it back to life but that failed too and just felt like an extremely dragging way to coax players back which didn't work as I know my old guild has gone from 300 members to around 190 mid living story and gone to Archeage or a different MMO. It really is a let down and I expected to play it for more than I did.800-900 hours so not just a newbie with no experience. In comparison I have played Archeage for 375 hours since head start, so that is nearly half the game play in a quarter of the time and I haven't even started to craft, farm or gear up correctly. 110% a good game for the first character and first 500-600 hours but after that you're best of setting it down in a corner to let it gather dust.

P.s. The boss fights are **** terrible and the only good part about this game that I couldn't fault it the art style and the fact that it isn't pay to play.
  5. Oct 15, 2014
    For the record my rating is -- i like (10) or i don't like (0), this 0-10 system is a joke, what exactly is a 5? Not sure if i like or not? I'm sorry? Seriously, anyway.

I'd give this game a 10 if it was 1 Year ago. This game used to be wonderful, however 2 years doing the same is a joke. LS content never worked and never will, a game doesn't survive with casuals, it survives with

I'd give this game a 10 if it was 1 Year ago.

This game used to be wonderful, however 2 years doing the same is a joke. LS content never worked and never will, a game doesn't survive with casuals, it survives with Hardcore players who keep it active by playing it a good amount of hours, and actually spend money on the Gem Store to support the game.

To make things worse Anet sold some of their servers causing even more lag than already existed, having even 10 seconds of lags sometimes, which doesn't happen on any other game, meaning it's this game's servers.

To make things worse, people that Stream the game have these lags as well, making the game look like a joke to outsiders and potentially future buyers.
  6. Sep 19, 2014
    Most reviews here are 2 years old.

Now, two years later, the game is exactly the same as it was back then. NO new maps, NO new dungeons, NO new professions/weapons or skills. During two 'feature packs', the game has undergone significant changes to the leveling process, mainly trait acquisition and level progression. There has been an uproar in the community ever since, and nothing
    Most reviews here are 2 years old.

During two 'feature packs', the game has undergone significant changes to the leveling process, mainly trait acquisition and level progression. There has been an uproar in the community ever since, and nothing was done about it.

Granted, this game was nice at first. But even then, being a MMO player, I've seen the flaws many haven't: it had lots of bugs, problems with build diversity, problems with PVP (only ONE mode and four maps, even after two years?!).

Now, however, the game is worthless. With bad sound engineering, clunky mechanics (ever tried using a cannon or trebuchet?) and poorly-designed PVE, this game has gone nowhere. I am sorry, but I truly believe this overhyped game doesn't deserve more than a 0 right now.
  7. Sep 13, 2014
    So at release I would have given that game a 8/10 - 9/10, but today I can give it no more than 4/10.

Why is that, you may ask? On one hand several bugs are still in the game after 2 years. But thats not the problem. The Problem is the content. PVE: As for normal dungeons there is ONE new path in one dungeon and fractals. Fractals have been added as a vicious grind circle

Why is that, you may ask?

The Problem is the content.

PVE:

As for normal dungeons there is ONE new path in one dungeon and fractals.
    Fractals have been added as a vicious grind circle were you repeat the same instances over and over again on different difficultiy levels in order to get items to play the same instance on a higher "difficulty" level.
    The other thing you can do in endgame is either casually strolling around or farming for your "endgame gear", because the old ingame gear was pretty easy to get (what they promised), they added a new time-gated money grind tier of gear in order to keep ppl playing.
    But that new tier doesnt have to do anything with skill or archieving something, it is just a time-gated money grind. Money grind cause you cant even farm specific items, so you have to farm money in order to buy what you need.
    Overall the game is driving into the direction of a very repetitve asia grinder (especially since china release)
    Since the last feature patch now a big button is placed inside the tradingpost (the gw2 form of an auction house) it states "Need some Gold?", and is a concrete statement:
    "You want ingame money?
    Buy it from us!"

The last Feature Patch even ruined the part of the game that distinguished it from every other one in the best way: The leveling. Now its time-gated and annoying as well.

PVP:
    Has many issues, balance, 4vs5 match-ups just to name a few.

2 Maps have been added one removed (cause they couldnt balance it).
    One of the added maps is even more unbalanced than the one that got removed and is thus being hated by a majority of the forum community (Id say 70-80%).
    Hated that much that some ppl even willingly go AFK in rated queues, accepting defeat, just in order not to play on it. (leaderboards are not trustworthy anyway, thats quite another topic)

Anets response on this is silence, okay when one of the "top players" asked them about it on their overhyped tournament of legends(which's final was watched live by only 1500 ppl)
    they stated that forum community wouldnt at all represent player community, which might be true, but I ask myself how they know that if they didnt make a ingame poll about it.

Due to the lack of love for PvP , PvP has become pretty much dead, even though a lot of ppl got attracted to it first, especially because of the greatness of GW1 in that regard.

My advice , if you want a good game , buy Guild Wars 1 (all 4 parts), you cant jump there but in almost every other aspect it is superior.
  8. Sep 9, 2014
    I love MMORPGs and especially PVP. However after leveling several characters to max level, and trying the PVP on this game...I cannot say I had one second of fun at all. It was completely boring. There was no sense of accomplishment. How this game is rated over a 3 is completely baffling. I simply cannot name one redeeming value.
  9. Aug 31, 2014
    The more I play this game the less I like it.
    i am primarily PVP orientated.
    Every class has been balanced damage/healing/tanking so that it can fill any role. Healing is grossly underpowered and DPS is king. Stuns and snares override any ability to fight and it becomes who can cc the best. World PVP is subject to the numbers of players on each side. If side A has more players it
    The more I play this game the less I like it.
    i am primarily PVP orientated.

World PVP is subject to the numbers of players on each side. If side A has more players it has a distinct advantage over Side B. If you are on a side that is losing, people become discouraged and log out making it almost impossible for the losing side to take control again. There are always stories of the small group that turns the tide with strategy, but, these events are relatively uncommon.

Scenario PVP is brutal, fighting is often over in a matter of a few seconds, usually a combination of cc and deathblow.

PVE is bland and droll, amusing at first, boring on repeat. Dungeons are the same.

Decent gear is easily obtained, legendary gear gives trivial advantages and just looks neat.

I loved Warhammer Online before they ruined it with horrible patches. This game is not recommended for a PVP player.
  10. Aug 16, 2014
    This game can't even be called Guild Wars, forget the second class awesomeness, this game comes with TONS of limitations for example you only have that spells for that weapon and you cannot change them, you can only change 3 or 4 spells.
    Also it comes with no late game which is really bad for a mmo.
  11. Jul 30, 2014
    I have probably wasted WAAAAAAAAAY TOO MUCH TIME (and i mean waaaaaaaay!!!) into this game but i've been ignorant enough to ignore many of the glaring issues for sooo long (as have maaaany others)

what SUXX! about gw2 dungeons are terrible! - barely any challenge - most boss fights can be abused (e.g. standing max range and autohitting so the boss will NEVER hit you) Apex predator

what SUXX! about gw2

Apex predator builds/classes - PVE in this game is legitly ONLY for warriors as they can do everything the best - speedrunners go with 5 warriors with copycat builds. Conditions (one of the damage mechanics) are worthless in PVE becuase there is a very small max cap of condis a boss can have on him at any point in time which makes more than 1 condi class instantly worthless (besides conditions being generally inferior to warrior damage) (did i mention this game has open world mass events with 50+ players humping 1 boss? yea pretty much 10 useless condi players who just stand there afk)

SOLO STORY MMO CONTENT CREATION - seriously Arenanet is not adding any MMO content (like more group instances or anything multiplayer really..) but is actually adding SINGLEPLAYER STORY CONTENT?? WAT? it's a MMO?

MASSIVE BUGS THAT STILL EXIST AFTER 2 YEARS!!!!! In explicit there is a bug that will cause you to get stuck in place unless you use an emote - this happens randomly when removing conditions or using a "stunbreaker" (this happens in pvp and bossfights)

ANOTHER MASSIVE BUG THAT IS STILL HERE 2 YEARS AFTER RELEASE! Basically the netcode for gw2 isnt very good and if you use any skill that causes knockback or pushback on your opponent there is a pretty good chance that the visible character model of your opponent will just randomly teleport around to its initial location even though the actual HITBOX of the player has been knocked back - this is ESPECIALLY annoying as it can happen right at the time when you kill somebody causing the opponents "downed " body (which you need to "stomp" to finish him off) to be shown somewhere else than the hitbox making the downed player UNSTOMPABLE!

2 YEARS of nothing but tooltip fixes - literally if you look up the patchnotes for the past 2 years its nothing but "added skillfact in description"

NO ENDGAME (literally nothing no raids NOTHING) - there is actually a "funny" 60 minute video of a guy from death and taxes standing around afk with glowing armor titled "Gw2 endgame" . The horrible thing is that this pretty much sums up gw2 endgame.

the WORST most random skillless pvp map ever created that has to this day not been removed from ranked pvp even though the official forums have insane long threads of people asking to remove this map from ranked (just search Skyhammer on gw2 forum you will understand why..)

WORST pvp balance i have ever seen (and i have seen S4 Restodruids!) Pretty much the entire pvp is knowing what builds/classes you autowin on your build/class. Especially necro vs engineer matchup is so broken that an extremely low tier necro player can still beat top engineer players without ANY effort. Also roamer thieves can perma evade (which actually allows them to be TANKS!) + have the highest mobility in the game + highest burst

overall just the WORST development/balancing team i have ever seen. Honestly i can hardly think of any decision the developers have made in the past 2 years that wasnt extremely dumb.(Let me give an example - they actually had a "PvP community coordinator" (of course a woman) who not only didnt play pvp (she was rank 18 after 1 year - as comparison its possible to get rank 10 after 1 day of playing only pvp) and who claimed on the forums that "the forums dont represent the opinion of pvpers - so basically she wasnt playing pvp and interacting with players nor was she taking anything serious that was said on the official forums so what good was this "PvP community coordinator"? i really dont know but thats the kind of people Arenanet keeps employed for their game.

Overall its really just 2 years of frustration and waiting for fixes/changes that still arent in the game. (Arenanets comment: soon! - apparently soon = 2+++ years )

I would give the game 2 points because the leveling experience was nice... BUT I CANT! THEY FIXED LEVELING! turned it into a horrible horrible grind having to farm every damn trait/skill in the game. This change was made when the game was released in asia (*cough asia grinder*) but the complete amount of its **** was also introduced to NA and EU servers.
  12. Jul 4, 2014
    Good Game Unless you consider the Poor customer support you will receive if you quit playing for more than two months and forget things. I've just lost my account because customer support refused to help me even though i provided them with my receipt, my serial, and other useful information i could remember. Their response was: "After researching the provided information, we will not beGood Game Unless you consider the Poor customer support you will receive if you quit playing for more than two months and forget things. I've just lost my account because customer support refused to help me even though i provided them with my receipt, my serial, and other useful information i could remember. Their response was: "After researching the provided information, we will not be able to assist you with accessing this account." They even claimed the email I was using wasn't listed in the account when I had an old email as proof that it was They just auto replied that they won't help. Yep, Play at your own risk. You'll probably waste all your money. Don't expect their support to help you do anything when you have log in trouble. Expand
  13. Jun 18, 2014
    The game is amazing, everything thats been said abot how it is different and fresh is true. There is but one major disadvantage. Two years after the release and there are still tons of bugs. And they keep piling up with every patch. The more I play it the more bugs I find and people seem to be used to them. Honestly the amound is kinda ridiculous. As for fixing them that just takes ages...
  14. May 8, 2014
    This game is a bad joke, ultra unbalanced, buggy and, behind its fake complexity, is easy as hell (easy to learn easy to master). There are multiple modes, PvP, PvE and WvW. The fighting system, the bugs, the exploits and the unbalance and many many more issues makes this game a waste of time.

PVP is a shapeless entity, I cant call it another way. It is BROKEN and FORGOTTEN by the dev. Is a arcade mode of the game where all players get a gear with the same value. Hot join is HORRIBLE and frustrating (you random join against other players, like in many other games, like Counter-Strike, but here is TERRIBLE. If you want not to hot-join you can create custom servers but that will cost you and is not better). The main tactics is to exploit the huge number of bugs or to random spam spells (conditions) without any tactics and than run around or to cripple the enemy ability to play by stunning them or pushing them around and stuff like that. There are classes that can win easy against other classes so if you have the wrong class YOU ARE DEAD and that was not intended by Arena Net, they wanted to make all the classes equal but they have failed. There is a unbelievable limited number of character builds that you can make, you can make 99999 but only 3-5 that work for each character (you can find the examples on internet, just copy/paste them, you can not invent anything new and if you will make your own build the build will be the same as a build from the internet or it will not work), all the other builds are totally useless. Another huge problem are the skill cool downs, stun durations, etc. Makes the fights really slow, you will have to use skills that you dont have to use at that moment just to do something not to get bored.

PvE is a boring farming mode for the retards. Make quests, kill mobs, wanking around, etc. Too bad that the loot was nerfed a while back and never recovered so prepare your wallet if you want to build a better gear or to wear a fancy armor (or buy gold from the 3rd party parasite bots that spam you with offers all the time). You can also complete dungeons which where interesting before I have found out so many exploits, you just have to use the known bugs to win easy. Has nothing to do with skill or team work, just know the bug - use the bug - get the prize - start over until you get old. (a totally waste of time, just play solitaire, a time well spend compared to the PvE)

WvW is another example of how unbalanced this game can be. On this mode 3 servers will fight between each other on 4 dedicated maps. You will have to team up with others and conquer towers, keeps, etc. WvW is the most interesting part of the game but IS BROKEN AS WELL. Is totally unbalanced, all the 3 concurrent servers have a different amount of players so everything is about the number of players. If your servers play against a bigger servers all you have to do is stay in the base or die. There is nothing you can do but just wait a entire week and hope that you will fight against a lower populated server. If you are not lucky than you will have to wait another week.... and so on. But if you fight against a smaller server than, again, is not fun because you have no one to kill. WvW is a big mess as well. Usually players form a group called a "zerg" and follow a commander. The group with more players win so is all about numbers. Is not like on StarCraft where you could win against 4 other players if you played well. Here if you are outnumbered, even though you may have a group with better players, YOU LOSE. At such a huge number of players skills does not matter much. Commanding is also a mess because if you talk to much you get suppressed (you are unable to use the chat). The zerg will start to wonder why the hell you don't say anything because they expect you to say something :D. That is why I have stopped commanding. You can use 3rd party tools like Team Speak but many players don't want to install it so you have to use the official game chat. Some players prefer to roam (go into small groups) which is more fun than just following a huge group of brain dead noobs. But roaming also has issues, all the PvP issues + the unbalance between the gear. In WvW everybody can have a gear with a different value than on PvP. Usually roaming is risky because this game is full of thiefs, they can attack with huge damage while they are invisible and run and regenerate and than attack you again. Thiefs can be invisible the whole battle except 3 seconds every 15 seconds (that depends of the thief's skill, most of them are good :D).

Overall, the main concept was brilliant but everything went terrible wrong and this game, the way it is right now, is a big mess. There are no fair fights, the skill of a player is not important only the build of your character that you can copy/paste it from the net. Bugs, glitches, exploits etc but the main problem is still the spell spam, the combat system and all the balance issues.
  15. May 1, 2014
    They'd receive a stellar rating except for one glaring problem at the moment, they are supporting the hackers and not the players.

As we speak, there are hundreds and probably borderline thousands of accounts that have recently been hacked. To be clear, ArenaNet had a security problem towards the end of 2012 which caused thousands upon thousands of compromised accounts, which caused hackers to get a hold of players personal info. Fast forward to the past 2 weeks, there has been a mass breach again where the offenders obtained countless e-mails and passwords of players thus compromising a tidal wave of accounts. This has now been confirmed to be on ArenaNet's end though they won't admit it.

Here is the problem, ArenaNet only allows 1 rollback per account even if the security problem is on their end, you basically lose all your stuff the 2nd time your hacked. So today, thousands of people (so far) have lost their stuff. Now it's up to the individual whether they want to completely start anew and possibly lose their stuff again as ArenaNet can't keep their servers secure. I'm guessing all these people will end up walking away from the game.

This was a great game, but sadly it's gone completely down the drain and gone in favor of the hackers. My advice, do not pick up this game, at least not until they have fortified their servers somehow.
  16. Apr 25, 2014
    I bought GW2 on a friend's recommendation. After playing for a few hours I got used to certain controls - mostly for skills 1 to 5 (pressing 1 to 5). So I log in again tonight and it has swapped around the order of my skills & it's impossible to customise (I've searched on the web). For no logical reason that I can think of. I now have to re-learn all of the controls for no reasonI bought GW2 on a friend's recommendation. After playing for a few hours I got used to certain controls - mostly for skills 1 to 5 (pressing 1 to 5). So I log in again tonight and it has swapped around the order of my skills & it's impossible to customise (I've searched on the web). For no logical reason that I can think of. I now have to re-learn all of the controls for no reason because it has swapped around the skill order randomly. Anyway - if you are new and considering giving this a go - avoid. Expand
  17. Apr 24, 2014
    The graphics are nice and the quest system is nice. Sadly, a lack of interesting story lines makes the leveling process very boring. The lack of FoV slider makes the game unplayable for several people, and is inexcusable for a modern game.
  18. Apr 15, 2014
    While many praise the "buy to play" and no subscription fee system (and perhaps rightly so), that has little if anything to do with whether or not Guild Wars 2 is a good game. Putting aside the advantages of a non-subscription MMO, I found Guild Wars 2 a bit tired and lacking in inspiration. There was much to like about the technical aspects of the game, but the questing and gameplay didWhile many praise the "buy to play" and no subscription fee system (and perhaps rightly so), that has little if anything to do with whether or not Guild Wars 2 is a good game. Putting aside the advantages of a non-subscription MMO, I found Guild Wars 2 a bit tired and lacking in inspiration. There was much to like about the technical aspects of the game, but the questing and gameplay did not hang together in an engaging way, leaving me wondering why I would want to log-in. While Guild Wars 2 is not a bad game, it is a thoroughly bland one. It's questing and story are unappealing compared to games like Star Wars: The Old Republic or Elder Scrolls Online, and for me, the combat game play did not hold up favorably to ESO either. The game may not require a subscription fee, but I did find myself regretting the purchase price of the game. I simply can't recommend Guild Wars 2. Expand
  19. Fuz
    Mar 6, 2014
    It was a good game, lot of potential. The premises (and prOmises) were amazing: No grinding, no gating...
    Sure, it would have needed some bit of changes and fixes here and there (the greatest being the lacking of a proper LFG tool), but it was overall pretty great for a new MMO.
    But with the Lost Shores patch they trashed it all. They broke ALL their promises, they went against their own manifesto. They went for an HEAVY grind style, a terrible gear treadmill. On top of that, the economy is ruined and prices are a real problem, especially for new players. So, if you want to buy or craft something now you pretty much have to buy money from their shop, making this a Pay to Win game.
    Really disappointed, it had potential, but now it's just another WoW clone, and WoW still does those things better.
  20. Jan 28, 2014
    having played this for a year these are my impressions

this game has a lot going for it excellent animation and art, several good improvements on the genre standard ( node sharing, quests that complete when in range) much of the good design is front loaded into the starting levels however after around level 30 the game starts to suffer and become repetitive the dungeon design is
    having played this for a year these are my impressions

the dungeon design is good thematically, but terrible in terms of a gaming standpoint, there are arbitrary difficulty spikes everywhere ( this boss will 1 shot you dodge or die) there is improved difficulty across most enemies but no comparable reward increase with many of your trash mobs dropping nothing or grey items,
    this is worsened by not having standard loot tables, instead each player is individually assigned a roll on everything in the game, with a few added dungeon specific items thrown in i.e. dungeon themed consumables. and a meager amount of tokens/gold for your accounts first run of the day

the above issue is more widespread than dungeons however, with the majority of loot at any time being down to luck, there is no way to gravitate to more rewarding content as all content is equally unrewarding, beat the hardest content in the game ? have some vendor trash while that guy that was face down for the fight gets something cool, the entire loot system is based on RNG

which ties in nicely with their monetisation, RNG cash shop boxes for weapon skins pets and so on are prevalent, as is the option to convert your real money to in game gold, this is further encouraged by allowing the legendary weapons (BIS forever) to be bought with gold (current exchange is ~$300 worth)and through the coming replacement of things like pvp currency with gold. They have further added diminishing returns to all open world mob drops so that you cannot farm for the required end game components to craft yourself, and must instead farm gold to buy them.

over the last year they have have used their frequent update schedule as a marketing point, however over 90% of all the content in these updates is no longer in the game, and will never be experienced by new players, in addition to removing content to keep the players on each server focused in one area to mitigate population issues the game has repeatedly added more vertical progression widening the gap between old and new players, with the new ascended tier taking over 6 months to acquire for one build, which they may then nerf in a balance patch.

ultimately this game is a classic example of bait and switch, the released marketing advertising a game with no grind and, easy to quire bis and more horizontal design, it has delivered the opposite with ridiculous grinds of 100 000 tokens for a pet
    a new tier of gear drip fed to players over a year and repeated vertical progression paths that lock you into a specialization with no way to refund them if you change your mind.

they have repeatedly reset players progress by resetting achievement points, changing cash shop items after people have bought them changing gear stats after waiting till people had invested in a full set and so on while leaving exploitable bugs in the game for over a year, allowing players to exploit walls etc in dungeons to solo bosses and so on, many of the problems made in this game are so jarring because we have seen them before, the better part of a decade ago, when other mmos fixed them
    it seems Anet is determined to repeat the mistakes of the past as a result i would not recommend this game

if your looking for a game with vertical progression this isn't for you
    if you are looking for a game with horizontal progression this definitely isn't for you
  21. Jan 19, 2014
    Truly awful game that doesn't deliver on its promises. Gameplay is boring and samey across all classes. It DOES NOT get rid of grinding, it only disguises it with banal distractions like "water these plants for XP!" Avoid.
  22. Jan 11, 2014
    a good, typical mmo. with fascinating graphics, a large open world.
    full of grinding farming and gold.

but not what people were waiting for at the very beginning.
    not "a game for casuals". not "a game without grinding".
  23. Dec 24, 2013
    GW2 represents the ultimate dumbing down of MMO games. Mash 4 buttons, never die, nothing to customize. Hand held the entire time. Graphics are good otherwise it has as much depth, complexity, and challenge as a carnival kiddie-ride.
  24. Dec 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GW2 feels like an extra-grindy Korean MMO. PvE, PvP, WvW everything’s a grind. Daily grind, monthly grind… They even turned world exploration into a grind. In other MMO games exploration is you wandering around the world as you like (maybe looking for a place and angle for a nice screenshot). In GW2 exploration is you watching the minimap of a YouTube zone completion video.

The LFG tool was “beta” one year ago and it still is. Obviously, ANet doesn’t even care. I admit I haven’t been in a dungeon once because the very thought of gathering a group manually turns me off. I did that to my heart’s content in vanilla WoW but we aren’t in MMO stone age anymore, are we?

Dynamic content is a joke. Seriously, it’s been done and it’s been done better. At least in Rift you could actually see invasion rifts on the map so you knew where to run. Just logged in and want to join the action? Sorry, you can’t take the nearest waypoint because it’s contested. Grind your way through half a zone please (it feels immensely ironic in a strictly PvE world where mindless zerg is THE solution to everything anyway).

Combat is dumbed down and awkward. Even though you can channel some skills on the run it still feels less fluid than in other MMO. Ranged skills are mostly OK but melee is a constant pain with low FOV (tunnel vision) and camera going crazy in tight spaces.

The promised absence of gear progression was just one big lie. Finer nuances put aside it’s still your old trusty treadmill where new gear obsoletes old (e.g. berserker’s assassin’s).

The entire WvW is actually 2 no so large maps, ‘nuff said. Oh yeah, they promise to add another one. Hey fellow player do you feel like a dog waiting for a bone?

I’m sure I would have some nice words to add about SPvP but I just can’t be bothered to do any serious PvP in a game where all kinds of hacks are easily available (zoom hack, speed hack, free teleport, noclip you name it).

TL;DR: GW2 is an extremely grindy MMO that adds nothing, absolutely nothing new to the genre. Same s..t, different game.
  25. Nov 27, 2013
    This game is at this point quite horrible. Over one year, nearly no additions. They added 'Living story', a giant flop: achievement grinding for empty rewards, a very very stereotype story. Next to that they are going on to the path to a grind: Ascended gear, Characterbound everything, Crafting... this game is becoming worse every single patch.
  26. Nov 25, 2013
    After one year of playing GW2 I can tell you with honesty that this game is NOT what the developers told the public that they were going to create.
    The game is top to bottom full of grind.
    The combat is repetitive and boring. Expect to Zerg when in open world events. Expect to Zerg in WvW. Expect terrible performance with top end hardware. Expect most items that you would like to be
    The game is top to bottom full of grind.
    The combat is repetitive and boring.
    Expect to Zerg when in open world events.
    Expect to Zerg in WvW.
    Expect terrible performance with top end hardware.
    Expect most items that you would like to be in the gem store only(you can pay with ingame gold but the exchange rate is rediculous).
    Expect one shots
    Expect time gated content...yes you look at a timer for things to do....
    Expect the worst story from an MMO ever, even the Living Story updates are akin to an episode of Scooby Doo.
    Expect terrible class balancing

Expect these things because that is what you're going to get with GW2. Future updates will in all likelihood NOT change the core issues that are mentioned.
    GW2 has no Guild Wars...yes not even guild halls. The game should be called Zerg Wars 2, the rise of Trahearne.

The positives are that the game does look pretty good. The world is well designed but that is all I can pretty much think of really
  27. Nov 10, 2013
    I will never understand why so many critics and people love this game both at the "good" beginning and now. I was never enthralled playing this game, the combat that was so widely heralded as amazing is just mashing five buttons. The only way to pvp is by queing for it which I find very odd in a game for in MMOs like SWTOR and WoW these races have reasons to fight, although here yourI will never understand why so many critics and people love this game both at the "good" beginning and now. I was never enthralled playing this game, the combat that was so widely heralded as amazing is just mashing five buttons. The only way to pvp is by queing for it which I find very odd in a game for in MMOs like SWTOR and WoW these races have reasons to fight, although here your servers just fight. All species work together in peace even though the beast characters are said to be savages. I was never into this game from the start of it, it just felt like another boring MMO with a bad combat system, and story which I could not care less about, just dragons invading cough cough Skyrim. This game is boring and offers nothing new to MMOs that others like WoW should copy or iterate. Do not buy into the hype of this game it is not worth it at all. Expand
  28. Oct 26, 2013
    Guild Wars 2 is a bad game Let me spell it out for you.

Guild Wars 2 is a bad game Let me spell it out for you.

The whole game can be defined by one coin phrase that is used over and over by the GW2 community. The phrase I am reffering to is, "ZERG!" Yeah, you know The Zerg... zombi-esque space aliens that infest victims they overrun with their sheer numerical advantage. The ironic part of this is that the origin of the zerg comes from a game that's not a total steaming pile of dog crap. This must be why people can relate to the zerg so well, because most people know what game they are from. Even more ironically, the same people that developed the zerg... also developed another little fantastic game that goes by the name of World of Warcraft The single biggest and ruthless MMORPG out there that caters to PvE and PvP players alike.

This one single term (ZEEEEEEEEEEEERG) pretty much sums up the entirety of PvP and PvE in GW2.

For instance early level gameplay revolves around farming... Now if that doesn't sound boring already let me extrapolate on that even more. In the low level zones, people form a "zerg" (a large group of people who skip around the map without a care for zone content). The sole purpose of the group is to farm a few specific bosses on a spawn rotation over and over until they either get bored, give up, get trolled by other people farming the same bosses, or are satisfied to move on to other content.

Further continuing on the explanation of PvE, are instances (dungeons). These group based zones consist of simply overwhelming enemies, running through them, or beating them by exploiting clearly broken mechanics that have not been fixed by ArenaNet since the games launch. Example being something along the lines of killing a group of enemies through a wall, while they cannot fight back and would normally be a challenge if the exploit did not exist.

Now the game rewards high level players for playing low level content. I like this because it encourages group play, but when this aspect of the game BECOMES the endgame, it gets pretty boring pretty fast.

So, what about PvP? The original Guild Wars had a fantastic PvP setup, so surely GW2 would expand upon that system right? No... Not at all. The game adopts an identical model to World of Warcraft.
    There are 2 different types of PvP.
    There are small arenas consisting of around 5 players. These PvP instances require you to obtain PvP specific gear. Before joining one of these instances you enter a lobby where you have access to vendors, all skills you would have at level 80, and all usable item types. Just another grind earn currency and spend it on PvP gear, which is only usable in the instanced pvp arenas.

World vs World is pretty much the most disappointing thing I have seen in the game. This “crowning” development of PvP has been prasied by GW2 fans since pre-release. The sad fact is that it isn't anything we haven't already seen in World of Warcraft. Several realms (servers) compete over control of instanced zones for +benifits to things like crafting and experience gains. The zones have large keeps and trade routes making it seem very expansive. However, in order to get to these zones you have to queue for them through the interface. Yes they are instanced and yes their is a limit as to how many people can be in them. The only difference from WoW is that these zones are an ongoing conflict. In WoW a battleground lasts 30 minutes. In GW2 these WvW zones are essentially perpetual, resetting weekly to match the highest rated realms against one another. In WoW you can expect to wait about 30-40 seconds before your PvP queue pops and you can queue for ALL battlegrounds available to you. In GW2 you are limited to queuing for one WvW zone at a time and expect to wait anywhere from 30min to 4hours in queue. Once inside WvW we move back to that word again... A commander plays follow the leader by creating a zerg. People follow the commander and attempt to take out objectives along the way.

However, TRUE WORLD PVP does exist in WoW, where it does not exist in GW2. In WoW a player can go to any zone (aside from the newbie zones) and slaughter people mercilessly. There are also world PvP objectives (that start around level 50) that players must take to secure PvE benefits for their faction.

I am honestly surprised that no system like this was implemented into GW2. Why is that? Well the answer comes to us in the solo quest storyline. (I am level 68/80 and it’s fair to say that I gave an honest effort at attempting to enjoy this game.) The storyline pointed out that the races of Tyria (GW2) are banding together and setting aside their differences to play nicely together and live in harmony after they defeat the evil dragons. So, it's possible ArenaNet didn't want to make this type of hostile PvP enviorment simply due to the nature of the story.
  29. Oct 20, 2013
    This game could have been good if it's creators had been more humble and sensible.

Graphics are really beautiful and there are some nice ideas events instead of quests, bank accessible from any crafting location, send crafting material to the bank from anywhere, instanced mining nodes, etc. But the core of such a game, combat, is rotten because its creators wanted to "break the

But the core of such a game, combat, is rotten because its creators wanted to "break the mold". Oh sure they've succeeded it's completely different. But it's also completely *awfull*

It's neither target selection (wow) nor aiming (neverwinter) it's both. It's cumbersome, boring, impractical and uninteresting.
    Of course it doesn't help that the difficulty is completely off, with most encounters really easy and some randomly crazy difficult (and some other probably buggy too). Being ganked by an army of small crabs that keep repoping forever isn't really funny for example.
    You often can't help but wonder what the developers smoke when they made this game.

So do yourself a favor and avoid this crappy game.
  30. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is so different than Guild Wars Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall and EotN. It is a massively multi-player game that feels so so singleplayer. There are no more Cooperative missions and every explorable area has dynamic quests that can be done with anyone. Despite this, there is little player to player interaction in the PvE mode and it has nothing compared to the thrills ofThis game is so different than Guild Wars Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall and EotN. It is a massively multi-player game that feels so so singleplayer. There are no more Cooperative missions and every explorable area has dynamic quests that can be done with anyone. Despite this, there is little player to player interaction in the PvE mode and it has nothing compared to the thrills of Cooperative Missions in the first Guild Wars games. I don't like the graphics as much either and I prefer the art direction in Guild Wars 1. It's really too bad Guild Wars 1 is a dying game because it was such a great game and much better than Guild Wars 2. Expand
  31. Sep 30, 2013
    There are big risks associated with buying this game in terms of account security. If you buy the game you may never be able to play it. if you play there are few guarantees your account won't be hacked or the game won't become unplayable if you had an old Guild Wars account and you forgot that password after a few years of doing other things. In short this fails the vital test of safetyThere are big risks associated with buying this game in terms of account security. If you buy the game you may never be able to play it. if you play there are few guarantees your account won't be hacked or the game won't become unplayable if you had an old Guild Wars account and you forgot that password after a few years of doing other things. In short this fails the vital test of safety and security in a modern internet environment. Buy at your own risk. You have been warned.

Orctowngrot
  32. Sep 29, 2013
    This is the first review i have ever written for a game having read many to help me decide upon whether a game is worth purchasing. GW2 offers fun game play has a great payment model and offers great value for money. However after not playing for several months I have returned to find that my account has been deleted due to accusations of altering game files. I have no way now ofThis is the first review i have ever written for a game having read many to help me decide upon whether a game is worth purchasing. GW2 offers fun game play has a great payment model and offers great value for money. However after not playing for several months I have returned to find that my account has been deleted due to accusations of altering game files. I have no way now of contacting support regarding this and find that I am unable to even find out when this apparently took place. I will not be purchasing any future games by Arena Net.

Use caution when purchasing any of their products as they will not inform you of the ban or reasons for it.
  33. Sep 28, 2013
    I wanted to try the free account offered by Guild wars 2, because I've heard of it many good things. Now I'm confused: the first thing was when I tried to download the installation file (25 gb) the net failed, and I had to try again from the begining I mean it's 2013, for God's sake. No pause, no nothing?
    After finally downloading it, I made an account, verified, and played a bit. Next day when I wanted to get on the servers, it asked me for authentication, an email that didn't arrive. I tried a few times, then tried logging into my account from a browser still no authentication email... I went to support, but I couldn't get a ticket, because I have no serial... So that was about it. Try it its free, but you won't get anything.
    About the game (to be correct, about the hour I could play with the game): This was my 1st MMO, I was always interested to play one, but I never had (or wanted to pay) the money for a subscription or the time. Now I think I didn't lose anything... Soulless NPCs walking around, I know that there would be PvP and stuff, with real gamers, but if I revive, heal or help someone a 'thank' would be a minimal effort. They get up and walk by like nothing happened.
    I have to climb up somewhere on a rock to get some egg, but the model is soo blocky. Quake 1 was way better. So it 'jumps', falls of course, and dies of course. Revive on resurrection point and walk back to try again. Gave up after 2 tries.
    It's like playing Gears of war after Skyrim or Assassins Creed, feels like you're a tank, not a human.
    If a baddie monster kills me I should do something to survive, but no indication what. What should I do, which button to press, etc, nothing. A little help would be great, but no. Although there's place enough to nag me to buy the full version. No, sir no!

The controls are dumb. Holding the right mouse all the time. Maybe I could get used to it, if it was worth it... But given the fact that I couldn't go back AND won't buy full after these experiences, I will never know...

Many user says here that this is the best MMO of all times. If this is true, then MMO as a game genre is just not for me.
  34. Sep 2, 2013
    Terrible RvR system where the map is too big, Planetside 2 did it better tbh. Loot is boring, always crap, you craft your gear and then you're done...you don't even need to grind/hunt for gear. Event drops are crap too. Puzzle drops are even worse. Raids are a terrible bore because enemies have tons of health. Stat system is simple there is no allocation and only a few secondary stats.Terrible RvR system where the map is too big, Planetside 2 did it better tbh. Loot is boring, always crap, you craft your gear and then you're done...you don't even need to grind/hunt for gear. Event drops are crap too. Puzzle drops are even worse. Raids are a terrible bore because enemies have tons of health. Stat system is simple there is no allocation and only a few secondary stats. The grind is pretty easy but boring because you have 4-8 skills and no tactics required to level in high level areas...you can just solo and mechanics and skill required is no problem. Gear is generic with no interesting abilities/stat variations. GW2 is pretty though. Expand
  35. Jul 21, 2013
    Ok, i will try to be as impartial as i can be.

The game itself isn't really SO bad. I can't say it's innovative, anyway. Only somebody who clearly didn't play enough different MMORPGs in his life can say this game is innovative. The PVE is basically a re-adaptation of the "public questing" introduced by Warhammer Online and already more or less adopted by Rift. The game on the
    Ok, i will try to be as impartial as i can be.

The game itself isn't really SO bad. I can't say it's innovative, anyway.

The game on the first months feeled playable but on the end really empty, you had a various number of things to do to achieve a single thing: lvl80 and achievement points.

What i really don't like about this game is the incredible overrating about it.

Seriously guys, did you even play anything else which wasn't complete crap?

This game is playable, but it's not awesome at all, it's just a mediocre readaptation of things already seen on a lot of different MMOs.

The thing that really makes me angry instead is the fact that EVERYBODY IGNORES that this is actually Not only a Item Mall freemium game (despite having a high retail price) But it's also pay2win, mostly on the beginning.

Is it really sufficient to hide the "money selling" behind a couple of steps you need to do... to make it completely invisible? people doesn't feel like the game is pay2win, they doesn't even seem to notice that is actually possible.

The whole game is full of anti-goldseller mechanics (like not being able to send money throught mail/ no direct trading avaiable) and they state it's because goldsellers spoils the game.

But, OMG, you are doing it!! you are selling golds, how can you say something like that when the only reason for doing that is not wanting to have competitors?

I'm seriously embarassed by a lot of things, several sites state this game as "free 2 play" while they state other games like Path of Exile as "item mall" games, SERIOUSLY?

Are they at least getting money for doing things as ridiculous as this one, i wonder?

By the way this game isn't either good or bad overall, if you force yourself to believe this is the best MMORPG of the moment you can maybe actually get to believe it, hopefully that's not true.

So try to open your eyes and notice that there are many other games offering better things at a lower prices than this one.
  36. Jul 18, 2013
    Two of the biggest problem of this game is the poor history and weakly content in max. lvl.
    But is the best mmorpg after world of warcraft, better than Tera, Rift, or Aion.
  37. Jul 15, 2013
    Don't be deceived. The game is grindy, has a terrible story, and ruined the Guild Wars name. The PvE is grindy and repetitive. The game has some serious balance issues with classes as well. The PVP is a joke and doesn't exist in my opinion. Most everything in the PvE and PvP is just done by zerging. It's like they buff the enemies so you have to zerg them then say "SEE? THIS GAME IS FORDon't be deceived. The game is grindy, has a terrible story, and ruined the Guild Wars name. The PvE is grindy and repetitive. The game has some serious balance issues with classes as well. The PVP is a joke and doesn't exist in my opinion. Most everything in the PvE and PvP is just done by zerging. It's like they buff the enemies so you have to zerg them then say "SEE? THIS GAME IS FOR THE PROS!". There is limited freedom in choosing a build which is something I loved about the original. Lastly, the community is godawful. Stay away. I regret wasting my time in this "sequel". Expand
  38. Jun 23, 2013
    The idea of a new MMORPG was a normal idea but somehow something came after I played for 5 months leveling felt like a big chore it took way to long there was no raids, horrible gear' bad spells, each of the level requirements sucks badly it was a bad idea for Arena Net to release this game in such of a disappointment. I say the environments are so pretty and the idea of combat and magicThe idea of a new MMORPG was a normal idea but somehow something came after I played for 5 months leveling felt like a big chore it took way to long there was no raids, horrible gear' bad spells, each of the level requirements sucks badly it was a bad idea for Arena Net to release this game in such of a disappointment. I say the environments are so pretty and the idea of combat and magic in each class is quite astonishing. WVWVW is broken because of the very long queue times. I hated about this game it was a big chore for me I tried to level higher but SEREOUSLY IT SUCKS FOR EACH QUEST THERE SHOULD BE MORE QUEST. Expand
  39. Jun 22, 2013
    I played and enjoyed GW1 the day after it was released and overall I played around 100-150 hours. I was therefore looking forward to GW2 and had high expectations after they talked about how it would be so different to all those other boring mmos. Well, after 35 hours I know, not very much), I am very bored and not sure if I will play much more.

The combat is the dull combat from every

The combat is the dull combat from every other mmo I've played, with the dull kill this, kill that quests, but done slightly differently. Also,there has not been one interesting quest because there are no interesting stories or characters. The main story has some charm (I'm playing as an Asura), but overall I just don't care. You just do the same things over, and over, and over, and over again. That being said, this game is better than gw1, but gw1 came out 8 years ago and I need a lot more innovation and tricks to impress me than what GW2 offers.

There are good things about this game. It is very pretty. Everything from the character designs to the world to the UI are great. The music is also great and there are no subscription fees.

In the end, if you enjoy other mmos like WOW, or TOR then you will probably really enjoy this. If you don't enjoy those mmos, and you think this game is going to be some great leap forward, I think you will be quite disappointed.
  40. Jun 8, 2013
    Taking everything what made the original Guild Wars so unqiue and tossing it the trash can. The whole game concept is solely focussed on commercial success.
  41. May 28, 2013
    Really a poor game and disappointing if you were expecting a game somewhat similar to the earlier Guild Wars installments. I was expecting a game that would at least somewhat resemble Guild Wars 1 but this game was entirely different, missing all the traits that made Guild Wars 1 such an addicting game. I missed the cooperative elements such as the co-op missions even more. This game isReally a poor game and disappointing if you were expecting a game somewhat similar to the earlier Guild Wars installments. I was expecting a game that would at least somewhat resemble Guild Wars 1 but this game was entirely different, missing all the traits that made Guild Wars 1 such an addicting game. I missed the cooperative elements such as the co-op missions even more. This game is just another WOW clone, and the graphics are the same if not worse than the earlier Guild Wars games. Expand
  42. May 26, 2013
    The game is not great, that is for sure. Its not that bad if you are only looking for weeks worth of gaming. But as a lasting MMO it leaves much to be desired.

First of all GW2 is nothing like GW1. The PVP in GW2 is very generic, and pretty much crap. They made it so you can get to max level in a very short amount of time.. You can probably do it in 2 3 days if you really try, but will take the average player about a week maybe two.

The dungeons are all broken with all the players just exploiting their way to bosses that they kill for useless loot. For the amount of time this game has been out they should have fixed a lot of the exploits that allow players to complete dungeons in 5 10 minutes.

You can obtain the best gear in the game in a very short amount of time, (less than a month of game time), and whats left to do is basically repeating the same mindless content every day so you can get loot that looks different. It wont improve your character or change your stats, but you can make yourself look different. You basically continue playing so you can earn different skins.

The world bosses are very mindless. 10 50 players just chaotically attacking a giant mobs foot. No strategy is required, and no skill in using your generic weapon based skills.

So after you do basically everything this game has to offer in 3 weeks of playing all you are left with is World vs World. WvW is the large server vs server PvP. Its ok, but not great, and definitely doesn't give a reason to continue playing. Its no Esport that's for sure.

All in all, the game isnt horrible, but its not good either. Its a meh. Play it for a month, and you are pretty much done.
  43. Apr 18, 2013
    This game is average at its best. But when you ding level 80, the game start to be boring real quick with lack of content. There's no progression or any reason to do PvE or PvP.

I had so high hopes.
  44. Apr 7, 2013
    click the button which is not on cooldown combat is dumbed down its just stupid, the different skills are so bad designed at the beginning you will may enjoy the game but after 2-3 hours you will see how boring this game actually is i am not a fanboy of any mmo but this game was a big let down for me
  45. Mar 10, 2013
    after months the game still has some of the initial bugs and the improvements made to the game are not really improvements but stepback´s so anet has to do better if they want to sell games because the game has stagnated and is slowly dying. and check once and for all the lag problems that are the worst of the game.
  46. Feb 15, 2013
    This is going to be my last attempt on trying to be serious on this game...since everytime I boot it up, it gets worse and worse everytime and I'm myself impressed by how bad this game gets the more I play. I have leveled over 50 and played a lot by exploring and doing all sort of quests, all sorts of actions, and again I tried the crafting after months of its release (since I bought it onThis is going to be my last attempt on trying to be serious on this game...since everytime I boot it up, it gets worse and worse everytime and I'm myself impressed by how bad this game gets the more I play. I have leveled over 50 and played a lot by exploring and doing all sort of quests, all sorts of actions, and again I tried the crafting after months of its release (since I bought it on launch). I initially said it was a great game due to the classes being well detailed, which ended up to be sort of a fake statement since all classes are basically "jack of all trades" class: you only get a different set of skills and while I appreciated the fact that they tried to remove the "holy trinity" (tank, dps, healer), this lack of feature makes every class basically a boredom due to the fact that you'll never feel unique: you're one of the crowd, and I don't see that point in a mmo where you'd wish to stand up among the crowd: it's that what makes an mmo worthwhile. I also mentioned how the game gives you different ways to quest. and events that are varied and different...but after a while you'll just discover that it's still the same quests just disguised as a "different" event, without mentioning that they can be boring too since you are, again, one of the crowd and I saw myself just spamming the same skills. About the skills, I initially mentioned that I liked it, but eventually I opened my eyes and I saw just how limited it was, since you'll just be spamming 5 skills in total, plus 5 more that can be set by yourself later on...but it is just not enough to keep the game fresh and I remember being bored just after few weeks of gameplay after release. Also the combat states that they hoped to be dynamic and always on the move, by giving you also the possibility to dodge and to fight while moving...and again you'll see just as a disguise for the same old routine; the dodge works sporadically and unless you're EXTREMELY precise, you can still be hit and make your dodge completely useless. Also, you have only 2 dodges, and once you're over you can easily stand still: even if you run their hit range is bigger than yours, and unfortunely this leads into some very overpowered enemies that can take basically 1/10 of your health in one hit (worst example: as a warrior, I received a critical hit of 990 from a NON-veteran/elite enemy...and I was level 11-12, and had only 890+ hp). It is engaging at times...and at first, but then you'll see the truth in a second: it's not fun and it is repetitive. I also mentioned how the shared resources is good...and is still good! But on the other hand the crafting system, while a little improved by lowering some items (I "think"...) it still remains hard to improve and I honestly never tried to improve it due to the fact that it requires so much material grinding that it would turn off any will of trying. And while some may say "get a guild" or "use a guide" to me, I say instead if I'm forced to ask for help, what's to enjoy about the professions?". The graphics are still great and I haven't got much to say: it still remains the best graphics I've seen so far. Although, the dubbing can be mediocre at times. The story, while I liked that you could create a story for your avatar, it's the same as the rest of the game: it's just a disguise that after some quests completely disappears and reveals nothing more than a simple questline with choices to make (which changes only few things by the way). While interesting, AGAIN, the freshness disappears rapidly and becomes a boring campaign that shows nothing more, and nothing less. I also mentioned that while there are 5 races, this is the game where I basically played one, since most of the races are...ugly. This is still personal and while I enjoy that they added more races than the first game, to me the human is still the only good race to play with (or the charr: they're awesome!). And for last, the community. I play in one of the most crowded server (Aurora Glade) and everytime I play...I hardly see anybody around! What happened? Even when I started a new character the places had barely few people around: I was playing alone all the time! Nobody even talked in the general chat (except cities) and while I'm not at cap level yet I've seen more players in the starting zones in many other MMORPGs, and this game supposed to encourage team work! That alone is why I quit, and why everyone should be aware of this game: I wouldn't bother if it wasn't of it's welcoming appearence but it soon shows how fake all the premise was and how basically it has nothing fresh into it. Not the worst MMORPG, but it's very close to it. You have been warned. Expand
  47. Feb 15, 2013
    Let me start off saying that I played the original Guild Wars for 7 years, and loved every moment of it. I even bought the two books that were released to fill the lore in between GW1 and GW2 while pre ordering my collectors edition for the day it came out. I thought GW2 would have more of the same as GW1, but sadly it doesn't. First off, Instances are gone Poof.... No longer can youLet me start off saying that I played the original Guild Wars for 7 years, and loved every moment of it. I even bought the two books that were released to fill the lore in between GW1 and GW2 while pre ordering my collectors edition for the day it came out. I thought GW2 would have more of the same as GW1, but sadly it doesn't. First off, Instances are gone Poof.... No longer can you explore an area with you and a couple of ur closest friends. Now there's just a pile of people that you all manage to amalgamate, collectively attacking random things chaotically. There are no strategies anymore, just annoying-ass mindless spamming of 2 or 3 skills. Second off, the skill system and combat system is dead. Gone are the days when you could hunt down specific skills stretched across the world of Tyria to collect. Now, your skills are linked with your weapon. Which you then only have 5 per weapon, and are very limited in their diversity. Honestly, every weapon and skill feel almost identical per class. It's a shame really; I remember spending hours upon hours trying to build the perfect build for PvE. And then when that build didn't cut it anymore for a new quest or mission, I'd sit around and devise a new build for specific situations. Just as Diablo III had to dumb down it's game for the masses, so did GW2.

Next, the new and innovative event system is a clever way of deceiving players of something new. In actuality, the even system is just another grind-fest to kill X number of enemies or collect Y number of items to complete it. Like I said earlier, it's a very clever system, because thousands of people have been duped to believe they're not playing the usual MMO that requires you to grind out the same exact quests/actions over and over again, the individuals at Arena Net just covered it with a different set of clothes and a wig to make it seem new. It isn't. And it's god damned awful and disgusting that not many people realize this.

If you're a fan of WOW and MMO's similar to it's play style, then go on ahead an check out this game, it'll probably be the "change" you've been looking for in a game. Meanwhile, if you were a fan of the first installment, stay away from this game, stay far far away.If you're looking for instanced games to play check out Path of Exile or Phantasy Star Online 2, those games you'll surely enjoy.

-Disheartened Fan
  48. Feb 14, 2013
    This is a tacky review, sorry.
    This is a tacky review, sorry.
    THE GOOD: The aesthetics of this game are amazing. If you like looking at pretty pictures and running around a finely crafted world listening to good voice acting telling a better than average story then you are in luck. THE BAD: GW2 plays like a bunch of people who really liked playing pvp as dps classes on WoW got together and made a game. The laundry list of boons/conditions that all last half a milisecond quickly becomes meaningless spam that does not lend itself well to a game you play for hours on end (pve that is, it is great for pvp). Though overall most things about the gameplay are frantic and after a short time get filtered out. Along the same lines the constant battles when you travel anywhere get tiresome. Sorry, I liked being able to run freely through newb zones in other games without constant harassment. Hey devs, if you wanted people to play together why did you put in 80 levels? Because WoW has 80 levels? Exactly. The leveling down is a cool feature, but is forced on you like so much else in GW2. Speaking of which, not being able to assign your own weapon ability hotkeys! This throwback to when games sucked for technical limitations is inexcusable in 2012/3.
    THE UGLY: Abandoning the mmo trinity makes for a chaotic cluster#### in groups. Dungeons feel like 5 individuals who happen to be doing the same thing instead of a group working together. Along those same lines the zone/group chat on GW2 is the quietest and lamest of any mmo I have played, though maybe that was just my server. Lastly, butter. This vendor will sell me milk, cheese, sour cream, and BUTTERmilk, but if I want butter I have to go kill monsters? The asari can build portals all around the world but haven't figured out butter? Why is a cave dwelling monster man able to make butter (into perfect bars that they carry in cloth bags) but nobody at the huge crafts/artisan market in the sprawling city can? What crap.
    VERDICT: A very pretty package for a game that makes huge advances for MMOs while still managing to be a WoW clone that utterly fails at finding good solutions to MMO problems. Maybe worth a playthrough for the story in a purely solo run, but overall a bad online game.
  49. Feb 2, 2013
    This game keeps being praised as the best thing since sliced bread and is not even up to par with current MMORPGs; you could say is only an online game and not an RPG. Over a decade ago, games like Ever Quest were able to create a sense of immersion and atmosphere, you could role play your character and every role had it's own play style and strategy. You where invaluable to your team andThis game keeps being praised as the best thing since sliced bread and is not even up to par with current MMORPGs; you could say is only an online game and not an RPG. Over a decade ago, games like Ever Quest were able to create a sense of immersion and atmosphere, you could role play your character and every role had it's own play style and strategy. You where invaluable to your team and it felt rewarding. Now, almost 15 years later, this game is just a common button smasher, every character is the same but with a different paint coat. No "trinity" means that there is no strategy and everyone is a DPS class. Everyone looks the same, feels the same and you can reach the maximum level in 2-4 weeks. After that, all the exotic gear is the same thing for everyone. If you like exploration and discovering the maps then this game will have some temporary appeal to you, but the combat is horrible, dungeons are unrewarding and brutal, PVP is a Zerg fest and crafting is the worst I've seen. I am disappointed that this game can't compare to games 15 years old and is just some pretty graphics with no substance. Expand
  50. Feb 1, 2013
    So i used to played guild wars 1 a LOT!!!!
    And i missed it and loved it........so i bought this and was hoping for more of the same.
    A game that didten focus on grinding but skill instead! A game were skill would matter more than time! But unfortunately guild wars 2 seems a bit the oppersite, only really skill based feature left fro me seems to be the dodging.......and thats only
    So i used to played guild wars 1 a LOT!!!!

A game that didten focus on grinding but skill instead!
    A game were skill would matter more than time!

But unfortunately guild wars 2 seems a bit the oppersite, only really skill based feature left fro me seems to be the dodging.......and thats only really good vs range attacks.
    The PvE seems pointless easy, click and wait more or less.

used to be fun and challenging, picking the right skill and weapon for the right mob.
    Sure it used to suck when you got a bad team for an instance....but it also gave a rewarding feeling when you made it.
    Now i get the feeling of "what happened? Did i win? Apprently so?"
    And again the grinding...."sigh"
    In guild wars 1 a "grinder" was a noob in a fancy armor that didten do anything.

I dont even like what they done about the grafics.......seems you get a lightshow for just for swining a sword.
    I guess thats a personal opinion but I like magic and badass creatures in a world to feel magic. and not something that comes out of my belt buckel for no particular reason.

Didten really like the skill system in guild wars 1 but now i miss it :P

Once this was a skill based game.
    Now its just a standard MMORPG like all the others.
  51. Feb 1, 2013
    This game requires skill, the story is fairly flat (little people who make the engineers but that something new in short, you want to spend your money do not take well GW2.
  52. Jan 31, 2013
    Absoluty,insanely bad, boring, repetitive, pointless game. Glad I could sell my account to another poor soul. Bleh. Arenanet is a horrible company and the whole game concept is full of fail. The cutscenes are as ugly and boring as the game.
  53. Jan 26, 2013
    If you want in-game money you have to convert the store gems into gold. They put diminishing returns on loot so you get literally nothing. This is not a game for casuals, this is a game for children just like diablo 3.
    All the class abilities are the same except with different animations. War's that can oneshot people "Bob deserves a promotion for that" Game is a joke, a very well executed scam.
  54. Jan 14, 2013
    GW2...really? its not even close to gw1. The story is lame, the dungons are easy pvp is dying on the vine, wvw3 and des are a zerg fest , with the additional bonus of lagging out . The classes dont even feel diffrent from one another, and its entire no-trinity system hase made it a dps fest with no skill involved. Grats anet you took a great games title and @##$ all over it. Oh yea getGW2...really? its not even close to gw1. The story is lame, the dungons are easy pvp is dying on the vine, wvw3 and des are a zerg fest , with the additional bonus of lagging out . The classes dont even feel diffrent from one another, and its entire no-trinity system hase made it a dps fest with no skill involved. Grats anet you took a great games title and @##$ all over it. Oh yea get ready to get dinged into the cash grab trading post, pfft ..and no farming, free to play is still to expensive, it feels like SWTOR all over again with all the problems they fail to adress. Expand
  55. Jan 10, 2013
    Nothing about this game matches the quality of the rating it has accrued. These are just SOME of my main gripes and there's a lot of them. But mostly, this game is just so !@#$ing boring.
    Questing: There's a lot of detail but the lack of quantitative reward for exploring this detail or even enjoyment you get from it is minimal. Just because you don't "pick-up" a quest doesn't make it a ground breaking system. It is, in essence, the same as every other RPG on the market. This just makes you hate exploring the lore of the game even more because you're skipping it 90% of the time.
    Lack of incentive: There is almost no incentive for doing anything in this game. Everything is spoon-fed. There's no real need to prioritize doing anything. You could assign your skills at random and still make it 80 easily. And for that matter...
    Leveling:
    Why even have a leveling cap if you're just going to adjust everything to begin with. There's not real satisfaction in gaining a level. You don't measurably "improve". In fact, you get progressively worse, suffering from diminishing returns on stats until you buy a new set of gear The fact that your levels are adjusted to your zone and all PvP is at 80 level makes a leveling system almost completely redundant. Sure, you gain more skills but it doesn't really make you more "powerful". I felt just as useless at level 80 as I did at 30 because you're limited to the number of skills that fit in your tiny action bar. Advancing to higher level zones is almost redundant because you can literally reach level 80 by grinding in the first zone you hit and completing random events. The fact that diminishing returns DOESN'T apply to higher level characters reduces the number of people in the mid-level zones making it incredibly hard to complete those group events you need randoms to walk by for.
    Combat:
    is extremely limited. You're given a set number of action bar slots for each class and are restricted to it. This pigeon holes you into the same skills, the same rotations and the same strategies for combat. Even swapping weapons seems pointless because your other set of weapons probably doesn't match the playing style you chose. Social Combat: The social nature of PvE questing in Guild Wars 2 actually detracts from its purpose. Nobody wants to join your party against a common foe, just pick up whoever walks along, kill it and they'll be on their merry way. I didn't get to talk to them, I don't even know who they are because the interface is clumsy and I'll never be able to contact them again. You just can't make friends in the world because it makes people care less about what you're doing.
    BORING:
    This game is just incredibly boring. It is a chore to play and offers almost no stimulation beyond visual. The interface is a horror, gameplay isn't fluid and you can't lose yourself in the game.
  56. Jan 2, 2013
    this game is totally wrecked. i have not even got the chance to play it yet because of the insane registering. i missed out on the $30 dollar amazon deal, still got it for a ok price, but not worth it either way. i highly encourage you to discourage your friends and family from getting this game.. unless your on the brink of suicide, or you just like being sad and depressed. i'd ratherthis game is totally wrecked. i have not even got the chance to play it yet because of the insane registering. i missed out on the $30 dollar amazon deal, still got it for a ok price, but not worth it either way. i highly encourage you to discourage your friends and family from getting this game.. unless your on the brink of suicide, or you just like being sad and depressed. i'd rather play hexen without a monitor. Expand
  57. Jan 2, 2013
    From a PvP perspective this game is 100% fail. No comment on PvE as it's limited (no raiding) and dungeons are bugged and extremely limited w/out holy trinity. GW1 was an amazing game and we all had high hopes for the PvP in the sequel. There are only a few PvP maps and they are all capture the point. Balancing is unbelievably bad and the developers make idiotic, boneheaded classFrom a PvP perspective this game is 100% fail. No comment on PvE as it's limited (no raiding) and dungeons are bugged and extremely limited w/out holy trinity. GW1 was an amazing game and we all had high hopes for the PvP in the sequel. There are only a few PvP maps and they are all capture the point. Balancing is unbelievably bad and the developers make idiotic, boneheaded class balance tweaks every month or so that satisfy nobody. No public test servers! Only TWO (yes two) developers working on class balance for the entire game, and they seem to be completely clueless about the game. This game may be more suited for casual players, but for people serious about PvP, it is a major, massive step back from GW1 and a very big disappointment. Expand
  58. Jan 1, 2013
    This game is ok, totally over hyped, the game world is huge but it is unfortunate that it is mainly just a cut and paste world. It's saving grace is that it is Buy to Play meaning you can dive in and out as you please.
  59. Dec 28, 2012
    My, my, ArenaNet surely did it's homework in researching "things that every MMO fan seems to want". Beautiful graphics, excellent music, huge open world, no subscription fees - all of that you can find in Guild Wars 2. Too bad that in their pursuit for a perfect MMO formula, ArenaNet forgot to add one critical element to this otherwise perfect equation - fun. No argument for PvP balanceMy, my, ArenaNet surely did it's homework in researching "things that every MMO fan seems to want". Beautiful graphics, excellent music, huge open world, no subscription fees - all of that you can find in Guild Wars 2. Too bad that in their pursuit for a perfect MMO formula, ArenaNet forgot to add one critical element to this otherwise perfect equation - fun. No argument for PvP balance can overrule the fact that restricting your class to only a handful of skillsets (as opposed to hundreds in GW1) was an absolutely horrible design choice that doomed the entire experience from the start. The new questing system is also vastly overrated. It really doesn't matter if I have to walk to the NPC or have the quest activated on the go, when it's still the same kill & fetch bullsh*t every other MMO has already done to death. Biggest disappointment of the year. Expand
  60. Dec 24, 2012
    I buy very few games usually. The hype of some friends about this made me buy it. A waste of money, for me. I got bored in the first 20 level. I simply doesn't feel part of a world. The first thing a good rpg, online or offline, should do is to have a great history/ world (Azeroth, for example) in wich you can feel part of something. I found nothing of it here. The event are somethingI buy very few games usually. The hype of some friends about this made me buy it. A waste of money, for me. I got bored in the first 20 level. I simply doesn't feel part of a world. The first thing a good rpg, online or offline, should do is to have a great history/ world (Azeroth, for example) in wich you can feel part of something. I found nothing of it here. The event are something funny... for the first 3 or 4 times. Then they are really boring. Also, the fact you can group with people basically whoever they are, is something that really is against the online experience. I want to make friends and allies in an online game. This, again, is not the case. Try the game before buy it! Expand
  61. Dec 18, 2012
    This game is horrible, the game gets interesting in the start, but it rappidly becomes boring. All of my friends quit playing after reaching about lvl 10 or so. They are hardcore mmorpg players and always get adicted to them. Many GW2 players says that the "end game" is ****
  62. Dec 16, 2012
    A highly overrated and heavily bug infested game, it started out well with Guild Wars 2 looking like a rare real jewel in an ocean of other mediocre MMOS, with the developers keeping true to their manifestos, unfortunately that didn't last long and the game has been going down hill with the developers constantly changing the feel of the game that its hardly recognizable to its originalA highly overrated and heavily bug infested game, it started out well with Guild Wars 2 looking like a rare real jewel in an ocean of other mediocre MMOS, with the developers keeping true to their manifestos, unfortunately that didn't last long and the game has been going down hill with the developers constantly changing the feel of the game that its hardly recognizable to its original release. Its OK if you like the same of old style MMOS, but if not then you are suddenly left with a feeling of betrayal and anger that can no longer be compensated. With the companies obvious lies and attempts to hide the truth by deleting anything negative written on their official sites, they show what a vile and selfish money grabbing company they really are. Expand
  63. Dec 16, 2012
    This game is nothing like Guild Wars. There is nothing to do after lvl 80. The pvp is embarrassingly bad. They just ripped off lotro and wow and called it a sequel to guild wars. Im dead serious the pvp is a joke and they dont even have guild halls.The world is way smaller and it turns into a grindfest rather quickly. the few limited skills they give you arent very imaginative and createdThis game is nothing like Guild Wars. There is nothing to do after lvl 80. The pvp is embarrassingly bad. They just ripped off lotro and wow and called it a sequel to guild wars. Im dead serious the pvp is a joke and they dont even have guild halls.The world is way smaller and it turns into a grindfest rather quickly. the few limited skills they give you arent very imaginative and created no chance to make creative builds, you are pretty much stuck with the 4 or 5 skills that are decent. prepare to see tons of bots grinding away. good luck reporting there you will still see the same bots there day after day. lost shores was terrible and handled very poorly. please dont buy this game if you love guild wars. Expand
  64. Dec 13, 2012
    Had a great start and tons of potential but the devs have squandered it. Storyline starts out great with your choices having impact but around halfway through it gets hijacked by a Mary Sue who saves the world for you. Graphics are marginally better than the originals and most of the music is recycled from GW. Gameplay is dull with each weapon having a locked set of skills leaving you withHad a great start and tons of potential but the devs have squandered it. Storyline starts out great with your choices having impact but around halfway through it gets hijacked by a Mary Sue who saves the world for you. Graphics are marginally better than the originals and most of the music is recycled from GW. Gameplay is dull with each weapon having a locked set of skills leaving you with 1 healing skill, 3 "utility" slots, and an elite skill. Most skills are bland because the devs have killed the "trinity" (aka an actual class system) leaving everyone being tanky DPS for dungeons and glass cannons for pvp. 4 months after launch and there are still tons of gameplay bugs, elite skills are almost all garbage (so bad that you forget to use them), CC & debuffs are unbalanced and boring (stuns last 1-2 seconds but cripple can stack to over a minute easily), and class customization is non-existent with barebone traits. The world is beautiful and at first fun to explore, but if you go for map completion the hearts are very tedious and all the starting zones feel the same. Endgame consists of unevenly difficult & boring dungeons, chaotic & pointless server vs. server PvP, KOTH PvP with cosmetics-only rewards, and grinding for hundreds of hours for "legendary" weapons. Overall, this is a terrible sequel and has nothing to do with the original Guild War series apart from races and some skill names. The devs are clearly building the game for the "WoW audience" and have not only abandoned their original fans but are actively alienating them. Expand
  65. Dec 3, 2012
    Ah, Guild Wars 2. How the Internet have been waiting for you so long. What are they greeted with? A polished wow-clone. Channeling spells, lag, outdated graphics for it's time and an insane amount of bribes going to the critiques to cough out "Unique combat system" quotes whenever possible. As much as I like one-time fees, like with single-player games, it will only do harm to MMORPG'sAh, Guild Wars 2. How the Internet have been waiting for you so long. What are they greeted with? A polished wow-clone. Channeling spells, lag, outdated graphics for it's time and an insane amount of bribes going to the critiques to cough out "Unique combat system" quotes whenever possible. As much as I like one-time fees, like with single-player games, it will only do harm to MMORPG's because they will need a steady stream of income to offer a continuous service. Otherwise, bankruptcy or P2W is inevitable. This fate can already be hinted towards on how they locked out the ability to purchase the game, being too cheap to have an adequate amount of availability on the servers while banning more users than Origin, clever NCsoft. In It's core, the game isn't by any means bad but it's just very, very, very average. Expand
  66. Dec 2, 2012
    I am giving a 0 to this game cause my account was just hacked , i lost everything i had , all my money , gems , karma , guild were deleted and everythign and still arena net can't do anything , they cannot give you back your gold , your items be4 your account was hacked , they can't do any rollback on their character so if you ever try going for a legendary weapon and you are almost thereI am giving a 0 to this game cause my account was just hacked , i lost everything i had , all my money , gems , karma , guild were deleted and everythign and still arena net can't do anything , they cannot give you back your gold , your items be4 your account was hacked , they can't do any rollback on their character so if you ever try going for a legendary weapon and you are almost there and get hacked , you'll have nothing left to play with and they won't give you back any compensation at all, even if you spend real money to buy their stupid gems. Expand
  67. Nov 30, 2012
    Played this game for a couple of months and found that its just too buggy. Many dungeons to not work and the new fractals dungeons crash constantly (usually toward the end). The game is full of cheaters and its just a very bad game would not recommend it to anyone. Give it a year or so for them to work out the bugs and stop the blatant cheating.
  68. Nov 26, 2012
    After playing this game since release, ArenaNet are probably one of the most inefficient developers ever to grace the MMO industry. The game is riddled with bugs only to be riddled with more bugs every update. These bugs rarely even get fixed let alone be noticed. Take note that they have a tendency to ignore genuine player complaints and they fail to keep their promises. The fact thatAfter playing this game since release, ArenaNet are probably one of the most inefficient developers ever to grace the MMO industry. The game is riddled with bugs only to be riddled with more bugs every update. These bugs rarely even get fixed let alone be noticed. Take note that they have a tendency to ignore genuine player complaints and they fail to keep their promises. The fact that their PvP side of the game doesn't even have a global leaderboard is certainly troubling (yeah, e-sport, right). The PvP is a huge let down (the only mode is conquest) and the PvE side is just subpar. Class balance is totally out of whack. The actual classes have bugs from the beta to this day. The developers are slow and incompetent and It's honestly inexcusable. They'll be the ones to actually kill their own game.

I originally gave this a 10 but it looked so great at release. Now they've shown their true colors when it comes to how horrible of a slow and inefficient development team they are. I'm pretty much fed up with MMO's after this.
  69. Nov 22, 2012
    It much like WAR started off well and much like WAR was actually better in beta, however all they builds now are condition, crit builds and the maps are so small you end up in an endless and boring zerg every time. There is very little deviation or choice in specs and weaponry and the combat feels like a badly implemented 3rd person shooter, since you are all dps anyway. These are problemsIt much like WAR started off well and much like WAR was actually better in beta, however all they builds now are condition, crit builds and the maps are so small you end up in an endless and boring zerg every time. There is very little deviation or choice in specs and weaponry and the combat feels like a badly implemented 3rd person shooter, since you are all dps anyway. These are problems they could have fixed but instead they decided to betray their manifesto and introduce a gear grind without saying anything about doing it. PVP is a broken morass and now they are concentrating on Fluff and getting WOW kids. You ex WAR players know exactly what I mean, Except WAR actually has better pvp than GW2. Expand
  70. Nov 21, 2012
    All the promises that were made before release and all the selling points of this game have been thrown out the window with the latest patch.

There was supposed to be no grind, no gear treadmills, no gated content. Before 15 Nov 2012 this game was 9/10, now it's a clear case of bait and switch. Don't be fooled by all the old reviews, and read up some current information about the direction the game has taken.
  71. Nov 20, 2012
    While I can't quite bring myself to rate this game as a zero even now, and while it is still enjoyable in many aspects, refugees from the hamster treadmill can no longer expect to find a home in Guild Wars 2. If you're a casual player or someone who enjoys large scale PvP but does not enjoy a dungeon gear grind, stay far away from this otherwise beautiful MMO.
  72. Nov 20, 2012
    Overhyped. The graphics are excellent at the time of launch, but the good features stop there. It has a disguised form of grinding that tries to fool players into thinking they are not grinding while doing exactly what grinding is: repeated kills over and over.
    The classes are a huge let down. Most have cool animations and effects but these have no impact on gameplay as the abilities are weak and generic. All classes can do all the functions as melee damage, ranged damage, healing and support and as such excel at none which just furthers the feeling of weak classes. Furthermore you can be up-leveled (rarely) or down-leveled (more commonly) to provide a fixed challenge level. While some people like the constant challenge, this only increases the feeling of weakness since you can never enjoy the power you accrued.
    Mobs are repeated through several areas, just leveled up and with maybe a different name (not always), which contributes to the tedium after a while.
    Add to all this that it has no demo nor trial nor the possibility to sell the game you bought (as per the aggreement) nor a money-back guarantee and we have a trap where we just sank our money. All this fear of losing money on the part of the company only reflects a lack of confidence on the tittle.

Bottom-line: not worth it.
  73. Nov 19, 2012
    This game was originally a 9 or a 10, you could play as you liked and be rewarded for it. But with the addition of the new Ascended Gear, the game has suddenly become very limited: grind the new dungeon 1000 times or be left behind. This transition is a betrayal of the "no gear treadmill" philosophy and makes the game more like a lame version World of Warcraft.

After playing for a

After playing for a while you start to find the classes pretty limited and kind of dull. Only a few tactics are worth taking, leaving you with like 1 or 2 builds instead of the diversity promised.

After playing them, the dungeons are generally poorly constructed and not a lot of fun.
  74. Nov 19, 2012
    So now we are 3 months into the game and after I gave a very favourable review I'm going to have to take it all back. It seems Arenanet are now turning this game into WoW 2.0 insofar as there will now be a gear treadmill which goes completely against their manifesto which they set out whilst developing the game.

This was a good game until Arenanet started lying to it's customers.

This was a good game until Arenanet started lying to it's customers. Shame on you Anet, I thought better of you.
  75. Nov 11, 2012
    I tried really hard to like this game, seeing how I played the first Guild Wars for 7 years. I'm mainly here to score the game because 8.1 is a farce. It was a huge let down for myself. However, i would highly recommend the game to people who may not be familiar with the first or don't want to pay subscription fees. The Graphics aren't that much of an improvement over the first... If youI tried really hard to like this game, seeing how I played the first Guild Wars for 7 years. I'm mainly here to score the game because 8.1 is a farce. It was a huge let down for myself. However, i would highly recommend the game to people who may not be familiar with the first or don't want to pay subscription fees. The Graphics aren't that much of an improvement over the first... If you have a high end gaming machine like I do... you'll notice very little difference... you can tell they catered to the low to mid level gamer machine. Not that that's bad or anything but come on people... time to upgrade your computers, you're ruining it for the rest of us who do upgrade. It was said that the grind would be gone... no, the grind is still there, except now it has a dress on and its not that pretty. You're still going to grind. I was very very disappointed in the skill system, skills are now bound to weapons instead of having a choice. There are no longer dual professions and no way to create uber builds. You no longer have to use your brain to calculate a build. They've dumbed it down to make balancing the game easier for the company and the mediocre players. You now pay a fee to portal, which isn't so much a gripe if the wait time wasn't so ridiculous (and no, it's not my connection, I'm on a T3 line). There are many bugs within game play, sometimes I wonder if they didn't pay attention to the beta trials or if they even played the game themselves. The story line... is okay. Puzzles and W-v-W is okay. The dungeons are where its at... but again, here comes the grind. I give this a 3 because its a three for me... but for someone else... I would say a 5 or 6. Expand
  76. Nov 9, 2012
    Y U NO AWESOME? The game tries so hard to do everything right but does a lot of things worse than any other game in this genre. The combat system was announced to be action oriented, what did we got? Wow combined with tera but its neither as accurate as WoW's nor as good as teras'. The questsystem is nice but the levelflow is too confusing and a more indepth tutorial would have been great.Y U NO AWESOME? The game tries so hard to do everything right but does a lot of things worse than any other game in this genre. The combat system was announced to be action oriented, what did we got? Wow combined with tera but its neither as accurate as WoW's nor as good as teras'. The questsystem is nice but the levelflow is too confusing and a more indepth tutorial would have been great. The jobsystem is well done but rather confusing for a beginner because you have to produce so much trash to advance in the skills. In the end 3 charakter between 18-36 and los my interest after 2 weeks :/ disappointing Expand
  77. Oct 29, 2012
    not an mmo revolution, but still as wow's getting older and older, this is it's best alternative (also sub free!). i don't care about pve in general but there's very of it little even to my liking. pvp-wise it's much better, still there's no incentive in the long run (i mean spvp, which lacks ranked teams, arena ladders), also pvp feels like just burning all your skills asap and waitingnot an mmo revolution, but still as wow's getting older and older, this is it's best alternative (also sub free!). i don't care about pve in general but there's very of it little even to my liking. pvp-wise it's much better, still there's no incentive in the long run (i mean spvp, which lacks ranked teams, arena ladders), also pvp feels like just burning all your skills asap and waiting on cooldowns. WvWvW is too hectic with too may people that makes the frame rate drop to single digit number (4 core cpu, 560ti, 8gig ram). i would be really interested in statistics about the active players as a function of time, i have a feeling that its a small fraction of the peak value. graphics are great, story and crafting and pve are well below swtor. level grindig is horrible, despite of or partially because of this "everything is a dynamic event" craze Expand
  78. ryn
    Oct 15, 2012
    I'll keep this short. The graphics and sound come together to form a breathtaking world. Unfortunately, this alone isn't enough to make a compelling game. The combat is fun and engaging (perhaps more so than in competing titles) for the first couple of days. But I have yet to play an MMO that manages to keep it interesting after that and GW2 is no exception. Unfortunately this hits GW2I'll keep this short. The graphics and sound come together to form a breathtaking world. Unfortunately, this alone isn't enough to make a compelling game. The combat is fun and engaging (perhaps more so than in competing titles) for the first couple of days. But I have yet to play an MMO that manages to keep it interesting after that and GW2 is no exception. Unfortunately this hits GW2 hard, because as the developers pointed out many times: there is no "carrot" in GW2. What's supposed to keep you playing is the fun of playing the game itself (walking around killing things, exploring, doing dynamic events, etc.) and NOT loot rewards. Well, general game-play quickly becomes sleep-inducing. Crafting is a major gold-sink and feels like a waste of time, even if the interface itself isn't bad. The economy is a complete joke, with 99% of items selling at vendor price and the other 1% climbing to insane new heights every day. Unless you've played from release and speculated your way to huge profits when various recipes were changed or discovered, you are going to be dirt-poor from 1-80 and beyond. The dungeons are boring and frustrating at the same time, but to expect differently when you put 5 classes that all do everything in a dungeon that you over-tune to hell to make it "challenging" is madness. World-vs-World PvP is a zerg-fest of epic proportions and if you think that structured PvP will appeal to you, go play Dota2 or LoL instead for a much more complete and fun experience. The personal story is decent up to level 50 or so, then it looses pretty much all it's appeal and turns into another terrible, unrewarding grind. Expand
  79. Oct 15, 2012
    This game loses it's luster VERY fast. I had no reason to get to the end game (Which is 80 levels of doing "Grind Free" questing). I got a character to level 58. I started losing interest around level 50. My character has around 30 moves, all on short cool down, but they all generally do the same thing. Apply an effect, knock back, increase attack speed. Boring. Also, the whole gimmick onThis game loses it's luster VERY fast. I had no reason to get to the end game (Which is 80 levels of doing "Grind Free" questing). I got a character to level 58. I started losing interest around level 50. My character has around 30 moves, all on short cool down, but they all generally do the same thing. Apply an effect, knock back, increase attack speed. Boring. Also, the whole gimmick on how there's no grinding is complete bull. The only thing end game is, is grinding to get cooler looking gear. You have to run dungeons THOUSANDS of times to get full dungeon sets, and don't get me even started on the ridiculous difficulty of dungeons. Also, Arenanet advertising heavily on a "role-less" game is a complete lie as well. You HAVE to have a tank, a designated healer, etc. in order to survive in these stupidly difficult dungeons. The story is rather lame, and the quests all start feeling the same. The world is nice looking, but I noticed repeats in designs and looks, the areas aren't varied very well and I got bored very fast of the style pretty fast as well. Also, anyone who thinks this game revolutionized questing is delusional, they just cover up the questing by making it an area where you can quest instead of having to turn it in. W v W is alright, but you can only do well if you have a solid in take of money, since the seige equipment costs lots of currency. This game was fun for about a month, which is all it needs to get a good review from most people (most people stop playing after that long anyways....) while you need to put in a LOT more time than that to get to the "end game". Expand
  80. Oct 14, 2012
    If you were to chart an exciting quest, it might start out slow, and then ramp up and up, until the climax at which point you would face some thrilling final challenge, after which you would feel a flood of endorphins for having accomplished something. This is not how GW2 works. Instead, you wander around, and a little message says, "Go kill those things to save the farm or whatever." SoIf you were to chart an exciting quest, it might start out slow, and then ramp up and up, until the climax at which point you would face some thrilling final challenge, after which you would feel a flood of endorphins for having accomplished something. This is not how GW2 works. Instead, you wander around, and a little message says, "Go kill those things to save the farm or whatever." So you go kill whatever for a while with a hundred other people, and then the things are all killed, and you get a letter that says, "Hey, thanks for killing those things. Here's some gold." It doesn't lead anywhere, no story is built, it's not the start of some greater mission to work towards, and you don't feel more powerful or accomplished. Frankly, Guild Wars 2 is boring. I only feel compelled to play this game because I spent money on it. The story, lore, and dialog are paper thin, which would be forgivable if the gameplay was at all interesting.

The worst sin of this game, though? They've built a beautiful world, and given you a difficult to control, buggy, awful camera with which to view it. Super narrow FOV with no way to change it, collides with random objects and jerks around wildly (especially indoors), shows you more of the ground than the scenery, and always prefers to stick your character front and center, blocking whatever you actually want to look at. All of this makes exploring the world, which should be a fun diversion, a headache.
  81. Oct 1, 2012
    Got the game even at it's high cost because of the hype. Installed it levelled to 22 and still didn't like it. Graphically good yes but when I fight things, the moves you get just are not satisfying. I'm not sure why so many say WoW is graphically terrible, when I turn everything on Ultra with 4x AA and SSAO it's wonderful so clearly you either need to change the options or get a betterGot the game even at it's high cost because of the hype. Installed it levelled to 22 and still didn't like it. Graphically good yes but when I fight things, the moves you get just are not satisfying. I'm not sure why so many say WoW is graphically terrible, when I turn everything on Ultra with 4x AA and SSAO it's wonderful so clearly you either need to change the options or get a better card or LCD screen. The game still isn't a patch on WoW, I can see quests from explanation marks and not silly love heart icons. Joining PvP in wow is fun and easy, dungeons, raids, all because of integrated functions using the finder tool. This just doesn't have the edge at all and sorry but if your praising it just because it's free you need to open your eyes. Expand
  82. Sep 29, 2012
    Guild Bores 2 would have been a more appropriate title. Bland character design, bland questing, dull, repetitive combat, no end game, bland voice acting. Couldn't play for more than two hours before getting tired of it and quitting. Story is completely forgettable, as well, and things like 'dynamic events' are little more than gimmicks. I had no fun what so ever with this over-hyped game.
  83. Sep 29, 2012
    The most casual mmo ever made, with an aggressive cash shop influence. The events do not care if you are there or not. If you are there you will get xp no matter what. There is a sever lack of character and skill development. After level 40, it's all passives for the next 40 levels. It's a extremely simplistic game by nature which leads to simplistic combat and pvp. After 3 weeks ofThe most casual mmo ever made, with an aggressive cash shop influence. The events do not care if you are there or not. If you are there you will get xp no matter what. There is a sever lack of character and skill development. After level 40, it's all passives for the next 40 levels. It's a extremely simplistic game by nature which leads to simplistic combat and pvp. After 3 weeks of heavy play and fun, game play became extremely boring. This will be the first mmo (there is no rpg) that I've played that I will not reach level cap. There is no incentive to go on once the "new" wares off. The world is beautiful, although not cohesive, and the spell effects may be the best in the business. That beauty is only skin deep though. Fun for 3 weeks. I doesn't seem like it was made for more than that. Thus it being B2P. I'm giving the game a 3 because the lack of fundamental mmorpg elements that have contributed to me not wanting to play after 3 weeks. Expand
  84. Sep 28, 2012
    I seriously don't know what people see in GW2 I must be missing something. It's an okay game, but nothing amazing. At best it's average. A very safe vanilla amusement park like game, take you from one attraction to the other. No matter how dull and pointless that attraction is. GW2 doesn't live up to the fun GW1 was, and within 30 minutes of playing GW2 I couldn't wait to log offI seriously don't know what people see in GW2 I must be missing something. It's an okay game, but nothing amazing. At best it's average. A very safe vanilla amusement park like game, take you from one attraction to the other. No matter how dull and pointless that attraction is. GW2 doesn't live up to the fun GW1 was, and within 30 minutes of playing GW2 I couldn't wait to log off simply out of bordom. Check the weather was more interesting. I've played 3 hours in total, and I had to force myself to play that much. There simply isn't anything new here, and oh soooooo boring. Expand
  85. Sep 27, 2012
    Yet another overhyped MMO that turned out mediocre. Basic gameplay feels really clunky here, perhaps even worse than Warhammer Online. It's missing that MMO feel of games like World of WarCraft and EvE and feels more like a kindergarden. Somewhere in the construction of this game ArenaNet missed many of the important things of the genre. Building your character, the feel of being in aYet another overhyped MMO that turned out mediocre. Basic gameplay feels really clunky here, perhaps even worse than Warhammer Online. It's missing that MMO feel of games like World of WarCraft and EvE and feels more like a kindergarden. Somewhere in the construction of this game ArenaNet missed many of the important things of the genre. Building your character, the feel of being in a world, and perhaps most importantly, HAVING FUN. Expand
  86. Sep 27, 2012
    While the world is pretty and full of detail, unfortunately the beauty was only skin deep, for me. The game is severely repetitive, kill centaurs, water flowers, feed chicken, collect tree branches... over and over and over and over. The WvW pvp was just a zergfest, you either roll or you're getting rolled.Dynamic events, which are supposed to change the world around you as you participateWhile the world is pretty and full of detail, unfortunately the beauty was only skin deep, for me. The game is severely repetitive, kill centaurs, water flowers, feed chicken, collect tree branches... over and over and over and over. The WvW pvp was just a zergfest, you either roll or you're getting rolled.Dynamic events, which are supposed to change the world around you as you participate and finish is no different than finishing an event in WOW. You succeed until the event you just finished re spawns... and it starts all over again. Expand
  87. Sep 27, 2012
    Not a bad launch for an MMO but it had several issues like the trading post. They trying something innovative with classes being a jack of all trades. No specific tank, control, healer, dps classes. Each class is a little of each all rolled into one, its just they each do it a little different. This makes teamwork more difficult later on when people team up for dungeons causing severalNot a bad launch for an MMO but it had several issues like the trading post. They trying something innovative with classes being a jack of all trades. No specific tank, control, healer, dps classes. Each class is a little of each all rolled into one, its just they each do it a little different. This makes teamwork more difficult later on when people team up for dungeons causing several frustrating wipes. There are alot of pluses here but the class system is innovative but your either a like or hate it. I'm just too ingrained from other MMO's I have played like FF XI, DCUO, and SWTOR. If your willing to take a walk out of the MMO comfort zone, I suggest trying it. You may like it. I unfortunately did not. Expand
  88. Sep 27, 2012
    I had been waiting a longtime for GW 2, and I have been pleased with the game until this week when the developers introduced code limiting the amount of time you can spend farming for materials, loot - whatever. They claim this diminishing return code that they have injected into the game is to help stem off botters, however it negatively affects the regular player.

On my server events

On my server events are now dead, bots still run rampant and overall quality of the game has already degraded. The entire economy is an out of whack mess.

Visually the game is beautiful, combat is okay and I do enjoy the puzzle aspects of the game...but those things alone are not enough to keep me interested.

Anets communication is poor at best. Threads and topics on their official forums are moderated heavily to diminish the negativity that is floating around, or threads are disappearing alltogether without reason or explanation.
  89. Sep 27, 2012
    Ok, time to finally let this drop. i tried to give them time and it was (fortunately for them) a busy month, but it wasnt enough.

Guild Wars 2 is the latest in a growing line of mmorpgs (IT IS NOT AN ACTION GAME!) that are severely over hyped and under developed. Despite all their nonsense about not releasing it "until its done" what we have is bugs across every possible system in the game. Almost asif NC Soft said "finish it up or we are not paying you" and they did. From account security (always fun having 200+ emails fill your inbox to tell you that ip addys from china are attempting to log into your account) to quests in general (there is nothing "dynamic" about scripted events sorry kids) bugs bugs bugs. Perhaps if they had done a proper beta test instead of a bunch of B/S hype generating weekends they could have fixed them before launch... but no, the AH still goes down daily, the guilds bug daily... there is nothing that isnt broken on this game!

Visually it falls short of the mark too, while they assured us it would "support dx10" LIES! the closest thing to this game is honestly AOC, both in the amount of hype concerning it, and the dismal product that got released.

Gameplay... [tab]1-2-3-4 ever heard that one? well thats all you are getting here too.

Sound- the sound is really good actually, too bad it is the LEAST important thing about a game! But hey, they atleast got something right... although its kind of stupid to be told you have been poisoned 3 min after it wears off... but again BUGS!

Over all i would give it a solid 5, meaning that this game is average in EVERY POSSIBLE WAY. It is not above average on ANY level! But seeing all the BULLS HIT 10's i am going to do the right thing and drop it. if anyone actually reads this theyll know the truth, otherwise metacritic is kind of a crap metric since it LETS B/S scores through.. even on such a MASSIVE turd such as guild wars 2.

i cant express enough what a totally disappointing turd this game is.
  90. Sep 26, 2012
    GW2 is basically a first "solo" MMORPG. ArenaNet is trying to implement this idea of not having to party with anyone to do anything, at the same time you still have to party with random player if you want to experience the full content of the game. They give you more options to how you want to level up your character, but by no means one method will be enough to take you there. They areGW2 is basically a first "solo" MMORPG. ArenaNet is trying to implement this idea of not having to party with anyone to do anything, at the same time you still have to party with random player if you want to experience the full content of the game. They give you more options to how you want to level up your character, but by no means one method will be enough to take you there. They are forcing you to have to go explore the map, gathering resources, assisting NPC and completing story quest. PVE dungeons are in general not well designed. AI targeting system requires more randomization, the biggest problem is that AI tends to lock on one player till they are shoot to 'death'. This makes having no player plays a fixed role particular bad with a group of "dont know what they are doing" players. the level of communication required to participate in dungeon explore mode is the highest i've seen (Your full team have to use vent/mummble or other voice communication software for this purpose) that is if you want to have a smooth run without having to roll over your dead corpse a million times. Lastly the limited skill selection is a big negative compare with the original GW, its almost impossible to play any combo as a solo player (since there is no henchmen in GW2). Overall I was expecting GW2 to be at least somewhat similar to the original series of GW. yet This is a total different game. The only advantage for GW2 over GW is that the world is open and you have an option to see other player "JUMP" around you. After played GW2 for 2 weeks, I've decide to go back to GW1, just because i like having to be able to truly SOLO everything (w/wo hench) and can easily justify what i am doing when i am in a group. Expand
  91. Sep 26, 2012
    GW2 is loose MMO RPG and it is likely that you will get tired of it at some point.

GW2 fails to deliver a good story - in both content and form

No flight paths. Just teleporting.what a disappointment.
  92. Sep 24, 2012
    I only bought this game for the PvP which was advertised as the most balanced without forcing classes into certain play styles. However as it turns out the balancing is actually worse than in any other MMO I played before. Also the PvP content with 2 decent, 1 meh and 1 terrible map which all are of the same 'conquer and hold points' type gets boring very fast. There is not even a functionI only bought this game for the PvP which was advertised as the most balanced without forcing classes into certain play styles. However as it turns out the balancing is actually worse than in any other MMO I played before. Also the PvP content with 2 decent, 1 meh and 1 terrible map which all are of the same 'conquer and hold points' type gets boring very fast. There is not even a function which allows player to duel.

The game was released in a premature state and suggestions as well as critic are answered by the devs with silence mostly and if one of them actually decides to answer it is some snooty l2p comment.

Most disappointing game of the year with false adverisement that border on customer fraud.
  93. Sep 23, 2012
    Another overhyped MMORPG that doesn't have nothing especial. Not better than TOR, The Secret World, and TERA, all things considered. The same "kill X and Y" with another face. Lack of progression. No endgame.
  94. Sep 17, 2012
    buy if you like semi free to play pve and uncomplicated pvp with awkward, counter intuitive controls, avoid if you like games a little more challenging
  95. Sep 13, 2012
    Game play is boring and feels very disconnected. When you die it sends you to the ground like your having a last stand which i found to be very frustrating and frankly just not needed. As for questing it was a bit different which was nice but if you wanted to play alone and quest you can just count that out because its based on there being many people there to help you. The games notGame play is boring and feels very disconnected. When you die it sends you to the ground like your having a last stand which i found to be very frustrating and frankly just not needed. As for questing it was a bit different which was nice but if you wanted to play alone and quest you can just count that out because its based on there being many people there to help you. The games not bad if you've never played an mmo before but if you are a veteran it going to be the same thing you've seen everywhere else. I give it a 2 because the graphics were good but it had nothing else going for it. Expand
  96. Sep 12, 2012
    Boring enough to not care to write an entire review on.

Do yourself a favor and pass it up for something more interesting and engaging like The Secret World.
  97. Sep 12, 2012
    GW2 starts off very strong in the first 20 levels but most players quickly realize how poor the quest(dynamic event/heart) variety is. I can't even count how many times I had to defend a camp from X waves of enemies, or collect objects on the ground for an NPC. Entering a new zone doesn't feel new at all. Dynamic events become trivial when the players make a zerg, and most are impossibleGW2 starts off very strong in the first 20 levels but most players quickly realize how poor the quest(dynamic event/heart) variety is. I can't even count how many times I had to defend a camp from X waves of enemies, or collect objects on the ground for an NPC. Entering a new zone doesn't feel new at all. Dynamic events become trivial when the players make a zerg, and most are impossible when solo/duo.

The game makes it difficult and not fun to group with friends. If you get 20 meters away from someone in your group, they disappear both on the screen and on the map. Doing hearts pretty much forces group members to solo, and ignoring hearts doesn't feel right as you are skipping a lot of content.

The PvE endgame is mediocre at best. The level 80 zone requires absolutely no skill, only a big enough zerg, time and patience.

PvP combat is plagued by poor class balance and unnecessary new features like the downed state, which creates frustration whether you kill or die. sPvP is completely cut off from the rest of the game, and its progression is only cosmetic, which only a small minority of players will find interesting.

WvW has poor performance on most computers (for example my PC gets 60+ fps in PvE but only 15 in large battles in WvW), lacks any progression which will turn off most PvPers, and only allows one and only one playstyle if you want to be effective: Zerging. Arena.net tried to imitate DAoC's brilliant RvR, but they decided not to copy important features like realm ranks/realm points, long duration crowd control and 8-man groups (to allow more playstyles like group vs group, small group, soloing) and a huge PvP dungeon like the amazing Darkness Falls.

The positives are that the game is buy to play and doesn't require a subscription, and that the developers seem to have ambition, which gives me hope that the game might improve over the next years.
  98. Sep 12, 2012
    Pros> The game is so damn beautiful it's astonishing. The voice acting and pacing are pretty nice, for sure. Probably the best WoW-like MMO that I've ever played in every single aspect.. But this game only excels when compared to WoW.. which is like comparing yourself to a chimpanzee with down syndrome.
    Cons> Guild wars 2 does not even began to compare to Guild wars 1 when it comes to PVP. PVP was all I did, really. We had the previous capability customize all our skills and come up with unique combinations, and we had the ability to select 2 classes. We had structured PVP, 4v4, GVG, HA, Hero Arenas, Codex Arena, Kurzicks vs Luxons in capture point battles, fort aspenwood, and even 2 team colaberative missions. We had hundreds of hexes with unique effects, now reduced to causing some condition or another. All of that was lost. I mean, I really think the game is AMAZINGLY polished, but what made guild wars 1 so damn good, what brought all us fans to it, was that it was very unlike WoW.. and BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THIS: In the ways that guild wars 2 is like WoW, it's better than WoW, but if it had been able to keep it's own unique strengths in the process instead of ditching them to be like WoW, we'd have really, actually, had the perfect game. :x I still have high hopes, however, as Arena net is nothing if not made up of brilliant members capable of correcting design mistakes.
  99. Sep 11, 2012
    As a Guild Wars fan, it truly breaks my heart to be forced to give such an amazing MMO's sequel such a poor overall score, but Guild Wars 2 might have well been made by a completely different developer as it totally missed the mark on what made its predecessor a great game.

While Guild Wars 2 brags about its "player unique stories" (or however they phrased it), the plot totally misses the mark cinematically and writing wise. In Guild Wars, the story was paced quite well with only one or two minor side quests that needed completing before you got to the next mission area. Missions also contained bonus side quests that if completed could bring in oodles of xp, which is always a good thing. Unfortunately, Guild Wars 2 breaks one of writings biggest no-nos in that it butchers the pacing of the story with so much filler (grinding) that by the time you level up the three or four required levels to do the next mission, the momentum of the story has already been lost. At the same time, the story fails to deliver a memorable villain in the likes of Shiro Tagachi or Varesh Ossa. With my character at level 30 and well into the "story", I have yet to come across a villain I either cared about or thought of as memorable. At the same time, the horrible cinematics pale in comparison to their Guild Wars predecessors, going from an actual cutscene to nothing but "talking heads".

Then you have the lack of instancing and henchmen/heros. Two of the best things that ever happened to an MMO. Gone now are the days that you can enjoy the world and the story in solitude without having to worry about fifty other people doing the same quest. Henchmen/Heroes were also an awesome part of Guild Wars, albeit slightly flawed intellectually. As one who was looking forward to improved AI and a removal of gold/item stealing, I was greatly dismayed when they announced their horrific new "Dynamic Level Adjustment", one of the worst features of an MMO since pay to win stores and player driven economies (I'm looking at you Final Fantasy).

Another huge caveat is the lack of questing. Sure this game has "events" and "group quests" that will appear at "random" around the different zones, but with so few per area, and with them and story missions offering little xp, not only will you find yourself stuck in the same area till you are ready to blow your brains out, but that you'll be grinding the same quests over and over and OVER before you can enjoy the actual point of Guild Wars, the story.

Finally we get to the terrible skill system and lack of armor. If Guild Wars suffered from anything, it was a massive lack in armor variants. Guild Wars 2 compounds this by having even fewer armors. And while Guild Wars offered the great benefits of dual classing and more skills than one could possibly fathom, Guild Wars 2's system is like the difference between pre and post searing Ascalon. There's no comparison.

In the end, Guild Wars 2's biggest flaw was to sell out on everything that made it great trying to cater to 'main stream MMOers' and in doing so, completely failed to hit the target in almost every way.

End Score 1/10

PROS:
    +1 Graphics

CONS:
    -3 points for lack of instancing
    -2 points for removal of henchmen/heroes
    -2 points for dynamic level adjustment
    -2 point for lack of normal quests and poor story implementation
    -1 for story missions not being repeatable, lack of armor variants
  100. Sep 11, 2012
    Unfortunately, I fell for the overwhelming amount of great reviews for this game. After seeing that the game had "sold out" of digital download copies, I thought, "maybe this is the mmo to end all mmos." So I rush down to a brick and mortar store to pick up a hard copy, install, create an account. Within 8 hours I get an email telling me that some clown in China is trying to access myUnfortunately, I fell for the overwhelming amount of great reviews for this game. After seeing that the game had "sold out" of digital download copies, I thought, "maybe this is the mmo to end all mmos." So I rush down to a brick and mortar store to pick up a hard copy, install, create an account. Within 8 hours I get an email telling me that some clown in China is trying to access my account....great! Anyhow, I launch the game expecting pure awesomeness. What I see is a graphical amalgamation of Wow and Aion, which works out pretty well, because if you average out the years in which those engines were put into play, then you come up with graphics circa 2007...that's generous. Everything else is completely predictable - kill this, collect that, don't worry about the story. This is what killed SWTOR in my opinion; you can't try to polish up the things you like about various MMOs, slap them together and expect a miracle. And that's what you see here - a little bit of WoW, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, and a few of the legacy items that made the first GW successful, but ultimately the game is devoid of any revolutionary mechanics. On the other hand, I've been playing The Secret World for a little over 2 months now, and besides the very few bugs remaining, it has captivated me from day one! Fantastic gfx, engrossing storyline, challenging skill system, the ability to be absolutely anything with the mere swapping of skills that are available to everyone. While it may not be for everyone, at least it advanced the genre so that people can see where we could and should be with these games. How fans tolerate the same mediocre fodder is beyond me. Expand
  101. Sep 1, 2012
    I won't spoil anything here, but the game is no super marvel. This is just another cog in the great MMO wheel migration. Another game churned out, another spin taken by a huge nomad gaming community. The perk being that you only pay once is a huge draw, and yes you can assume I am a player who is hardly pleased by the MMO spectrum. To break it down, the controls are a 2.5 for me. TheI won't spoil anything here, but the game is no super marvel. This is just another cog in the great MMO wheel migration. Another game churned out, another spin taken by a huge nomad gaming community. The perk being that you only pay once is a huge draw, and yes you can assume I am a player who is hardly pleased by the MMO spectrum. To break it down, the controls are a 2.5 for me. The characters reactions to my inputs are a 2.5, this goes for movement animation gliding and the such. Yes, I am nit picky. (Not a latency issue unless it's server side, my ISP services are Broadband 250Mbps DL and 15 Mbps upload with no network interference.) The Graphics are amazing, absolutely and I won't touch that because lets face it, that's not what makes a game fun.

The narrative and story is flat out suck, I won't bore you with this because I am comparing it to TOR and while that game is not the epitome of story, in the standards of MMO, it's the highest there is. The pvp system is interesting and plays similar to Warhammer online, albeit improved and it has it's own level of excitement. Combat mechanics are your standard fare but with some interesting twists on how things are utilized... Like the great sword for a certain stealthy caster class. It still comes down to being the exact same thing as any other game. Push this, cast that, move this way, avoid the fire, kite kite kite kite. Sadly, you can't escape this kind of mechanical build for the MMO genre, it's just what works best.

Still, I feel this game will go the way of all current MMO types. The main base will work hard at it, play hard and at the 3 month mark, you will see the servers start to dwindle in population size. The 6 month mark we are going to see free server transfers and server merges. It will go the way of the Old Republic and settle into it's normal numbers and have a nice base of players. I will not likely be one of them but I will give the game 6 months of my time and post another review then. It's not awful, it's just another mmo that doesn't push or change anything in any extreme manner. Weapon swapping isn't new, it's just given a bit more range and utility other than stat dancing. The one thing I do like is how the Thief plays out and I will be looking to push this class as far as I can. In comparison to other MMO games of the current few years, TOR and GW2 are the only ones I will be bouncing between because the rest really can't touch either of them. TOR has a long ways to go and I hope GW2 is the motivation to make that game grow into a great f2p game to bounce to when I get sick of GW2 and vice-versa. My only other problem is that I feel coddled in this game. It does good for a large player base with a wide range of tastes but I feel there is nothing that will keep me tied to the game in the end of all my time spent. This is of course, my personal opinion and I don't expect to have anyone see it as I do.

2. Jan 2, 2013