• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. Oct 28, 2012
    This is a shockingly good game, fully enjoyable either as a massive RPG campaign across a sprawling world, or as a highly challenging MMO with enough content and almost unachievable endgame goals (getting legendary gear or 100% dungeon completion is a worthy challenge). PvP offers an absolutely unforgiving environment to E-sport geeks, while World v World offers environment to fight enemy players that is easily accessible to everyone including newcomers. The world is rich, graphics amazing, engine flawless, character development has a distinctly fresh touch to it. If you have ever at all enjoyed the MMORPG genre, you absolutely owe it to yourself to try this one. There are people everywhere, whether to group up for PvE, or to compete with in PvP. No lag, no waiting time. Oh, and, you know... no subscription. Amazing. After a 100 hours, this game remains a source of ever-fresh enjoyment, and a lasting credit to its creators. Expand
  2. Oct 27, 2012
    To sum up - GW2 is a fantastic and fun game that I have truly enjoyed in an exploratory and exciting way, something I haven't done in ~7 years.

I spent a good part of 6 years playing WoW after first playing Guild Wars original for a year or so, then on and off after that point. I've played several other MMOs but none of them ever really came close to WoW or original Guild Wars as far as
    I'm concerned.

GW2 has fresh and exciting ways of exploring and traversing the deep and detailed world. For once, an MMO has left the decision "How should I play the game" to the player, rather than boxing them in to stale and linear PvE experiences. As I'm still leveling, I don't know what end game will be like but GW2 definitely deserves a 9 even if end game is crap, considering just how awesome the leveling experience is.
  3. Oct 19, 2012
    I often wonder whether people who give this game a negative review really put the time in the appreciate the mechanics of GW2. One person says there is no end game content and is infuriated. The other says there is end game content...and he is infuriated. I myself along with my group am enjoying this game thoroughly. I find the waypoint mechanic essential to getting around since there are no mounts, but being able to stay in the field longer means more gameplay, which in turns means time not wasted.

The combat is fluid enough for a MMORPG, the dodge mechanic especially useful for the larger bosses, and a sense of thrill as you feel the narrow escape of a lethal attack. The races and classes have fun diversities from other games of this setting and style. Fans of Skyrim may enjoy the Norn class, a Norse like people standing at 9 feet tall and following the ways of the mountain. In other parts of the world technology, nobility and nature may rule in place. It's steampunk at times without the self aware humor that sometimes comes along with it.

Ascetically the game has plenty to offer. Being able to change color patterns on the fly means never being bored of feeling mixed match unless you want that. Even items can be found that will combine the look of one item with the stats of another. Making a friendly PVE world has opened up the potential for this game. Taking down a monster with dozens of people gives a thrill as a complete stranger will lend you a buff, or even pick you up if you're knocked over.

PVP has great potential allowing anyone to dive in from the character screen, and leveling has been so much fun I'm working on three characters!
  4. Oct 17, 2012
    I normally hate MMOs and their formulas but a friend suggested GW2 and I can't stop playing it. Truly a game changer in the MMO market. A very smart take on the questing systems of old that keep you busy and never feels like a chore or a grind to play.Not only that but it looks incredible too. Fantastic game.
  5. Oct 16, 2012
    /age : You have played 242 hours played across all characters.

My first "mmo" was the original Guild Wars, I loved it from the first moment I started playing and I continued to play it for almost 5 years. When I started to loose interest in GW I tried out other mmo's but none could capture my interest long enough to warrant a subscription beyond the second month. Among them: WoW, Lotro,
    Conan, Tabula Rasa, Rift.
    I came to a decision then to ignore subscription based mmo's as I really hated the feeling that I was wasting my money when I was not playing.

I tried GW2 first during the beta weekends, I was shocked to see how different it felt from the original GW and I must admit it did not convince me at first, it felt more like the other "classic" mmo's and I felt overwhelmed by all the content and lost, unsure what to do or what was happening.
    Still, I put my trust in the dev team that brought me the original GW which I loved so much, closed my eyes and pushed that prepurchase button.
    When the game launched I took 2 weeks off from work to indulge in some good old gaming marathon (much more modest now since the wife and the baby ;-) ).

It took me about 3-4 days learning to play the game, starting from running around like a headless chicken, rolling from one event to the next. Once I understood the basics of the game and the various reward systems it all fell in place for me, my trust in the dev team paid off. Now I am completely hooked, for the first time in 5 years I am again completely hooked to a game.

things I like
    - the distinct pve areas, each with it's own setting (forest, snowy, desert,..) it's own story and special events
    - the downleveling makes it possible to enjoy lower level area's as they were meant to be played
    - dynamic events encourages players to fight together, a nice change in pace for someone like me who normally plays solo
    - trading post/auction house, gem system, you never need to buy gems with real money because you can buy it with ingame earned gold, buying and selling is simplicity - ingame goals: maxing out titles, level, crafting skills, daily achievements, monthly achievements, exploring (vista's, points of interests)
    - WvWvW, still a noob here but very thrilling, it's is basically the same as the pve areas, only there are enemy players of 2 other servers fighting in the same map, the maps are almost as big as the pve area's filled with all the same challenges (vista's, poi's, harvesting, quests and events,..) but also towers and keeps controlled by player factions that can be fortified and repaired and of course captured. You enter with your own gear but your level is boosted to max level in order to give you a fighting chance. - crafting and discovering new recipes (you will have to buy ingredients from the trading post if you don't want to grind harvesting jute, copper,...), the chef makes consumables that can be used to give time limited buffs, the tailor (and others) can make bigger bags...
    - personal story: changes by race and choices made ingame, plenty of variety to make each story different things I haven't tried yet
    - dungeons
    - guilds
    - structured PvP
    - high level (70+) areas

My current main is a level 67 guardian with 62% map completion.
    My ranger is played to become a survivor, currently level 22 and going (slowly)
    My mesmer is played to become max crafter in everything (and so also become a survivor) and sits permanently in Lion's Arch next to the mystic forge
    My engineer was the first character I made and is currently waiting for my attention stuck at level 42.
    My warrior, elementalist, necromancer and thief are still in their starting area's neglected for the moment.

Seeing how Arenanet supported the original GW, the enhancements that were added over the years, the special holiday events, I expect the same support for GW2 and I see myself enjoying at least the next 5 years playing GW2.
  6. Oct 15, 2012
    A revolution in MMORPG design. Guild Wars 2 presents an amazing amount of positive disruptive changes to the status quo that it corrects so many of the problems the MMO industry has with existing game templates. Artfully designed and wisely thought game mechanics make this game a must-have for MMORPG fans the world over.
  7. Oct 13, 2012
    Loot drops like Diablo
    RvR better than DAoC
    PvP better than WoW
    Public Quests better than WAR
    Crafting and Gathering that means something
    Personal Story like SWToR

Some map completion bugs STILL
    ArenaNet over-nerfs stuff habitually

WORTH EVERY PENNY!
  8. Oct 11, 2012
    Because of the pricetag, Guild Wars was a title which I returned to many times. It was a cycle of death and rebirth which ended in misery each time it played out. This was due to the fact that Guild Wars was a mouse heavy, Asian MMO, and had the UI of a generation 1 RPG. It was unwieldy, grindy, and made you work to experience the story. This is, of course, the exact opposite of Arena Net
  9. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is awesome, got it as a gift (was going to buy it anyway but my birthday came first :P) I did not play GW1 but have played many other MMOs. Its true that it takes quite a bit from games like Warhammer online, but it takes the good and improves on it. It also introduces new ideas and concepts I haven't seen in other mmos. The game handles lag very well (I play from South Africa) compared to games like WOW or Diablo 3. My only real complaint is the lack of proper learning content, its either not there or too boring to do. Its way more fun to just jump in and play like an idiot while you figure things out. I must say that this game is growing on me. The more I play the more fun it seems to get! Graphics are good, quests are fun, events are amazing, sounds are cool and personal quests add a fun single player element to the game(can be done multi, I like to single it). For those skeptical about the RM gem system, it is a little annoying but can be worked around, gems can be bought off ah with gold. 1 suggestion to A-net is please add more attacking animations haha Expand
  10. Oct 9, 2012
    Repetitive is something u should have expected. I'd play so many games, all looks repetitive, if u blame u need to push the same button in a game, please rethink noobs. I'd play COD and most of the time i clicked Left Mouse button for hours dude, opss kids. I'd played Starcraft 2, RE series, all using Left Mouse button mostly so stop blame repetitive on button. LoL
  11. Oct 7, 2012
    This MMORPG has it all.
    Good combat system, good loot system, good crafting system with a bank implemented so you don't have to run around grabbing everything and the coming to the conclusion you took the wrong items.
    It's colorful warm graphics and cutscenes are just so well done. And the good part is: No monthly subs. You pay one time and bang you can play it without paying 12 euros
    every month.
    By the way... Why are you still reading this? Go buy the game it is better then your average grab a quest or go to bank, craft and fail etc MMORPG.
    Do it now!
  12. Oct 7, 2012
    I followed Guild Wars 2 religiously for years. I played every single available minute during the beta tests and stress tests. The PvE is better than any MMORPG overall, especially because it is fun, never frustrating or tedious. Exploration is especially enjoyable. My only dislikes are the lack of public group options, and World versus World PvP. WvW PvP is an unbalanced frustrating mess. I spent over 100 hours over few weeks in WvW, and have since written it off. I have no plans of touching it until it is severely overhauled. However sPvP and PvE is very fun still. There is also a serious problem with hackers... something I've not seen hurt an MMO in nearly 8 years. Expand
  13. Oct 6, 2012
    It's pretty exciting to have an MMORPG that doesn't kick you out of immersion in the fantasy on a regular basis. The story is nice, it isn't over the top epic quite yet, and while your personal stake in the story takes place in instanced zone, it still happens in the game world not some other place. A large portion of the story occurs in the open world as well, allowing for free participation and rewarding all who do participate.

When you find a new area, rather than looking for a quest hub, you just explore and things will pop up on the side of the screen letting you know what's happening and how you can help. There are still quests out there that aren't like this, but for the most part you are adventuring to adventure.

Loot is useful in some way, either by salvaging or actually using for long spreads of game play making any reward at least partially valuable.

Even if you don't like the game play, or if you are a dedicated adherent to some other MMO, I recommend looking at GW2 and checking out the various tools for making playing with alts and crafting much less cumbersome. Crafting materials all go in to a shared character inventory with a limit I have yet to reach on how many of what can be stored. Banking is also shared. This allows a player to back up their main with crafting alts, allowing them to never leave the field, putting materials into their crafting inventory and then accessing their crafted goods from the bank later. This also gives your alts a way to levelup from crafting xp to help them along their way.

Equipment looks amazing also. While some items do suffer from the floating pauldrons effect seen in other titles, you can turn these items off visually. The armor slots are also far more interesting than the skin tight armor textured pajamas from DDO, WoW and others. A coat looks like a coat, skirts can go anywhere from just covering your bum to knee length or the floor. Using the whole body to add multiple shapes makes the world look a lot more reasonable than most other item designs we see in MMOs.
    Without getting to endgame, I'm already very satisfied with this purchase. The only major short comings are the pay walls around keys to randomly dropped chests, you get way more chests than keys. and the pay wall around the amount of alts you can have (5 for free) and inventory space.
  14. Oct 6, 2012
    Best MMO. I can't wait until another MMO improves on the direction this game has. From pvp to wvwvw to the story mode or just running out in to the wilds and bumping in to an engaging event. There is no right way to play this game. It is at your own pace and however you want to. I'm giving it a 10 for being the best there is right now. It is probably what vanilla WoW would have wanted to be before Blizz got high on cash cow subs and stopped caring about a good product. There isn't a thing I hate about GW2. Expand
  15. Oct 5, 2012
    In my life i've played a lot og MMO's, and i thought than Guild Wars 2 would be an average MMO. But when I saw some trailers and read a bit more about this game, i found it very interesting and i was right. After playing on the closed beta test i understood that it was the most amazing game I've ever played. There is a lot of features and describing all of them can take a lot of time. Usually, as it often happens with games which are having too many "cool things", these games looks like cut piece of cake and when you begin playing for the first time you will say:"Yes, it's amazing, but after some hours you will understand that this game can't provide you everything it was told about in the beginning. But not in Guild Wars 2, each elements of the game looks like the hole piece of one cake.
    In my opinion it is the best MMO game of last five years
  16. Oct 5, 2012
    A great well rounded and well polished new MMO. 8 distinctive classes that all have their own feel and play style. Some great improvements to the MMORPG genre without trying to change what isn't broken.
    Just like GW1, there is no subscription. Unlike many other MMOs out there where you're paying a monthly fee and getting very little for that fee, GW2 gives excellent value for the box
    price. I really don't think I could go back to standard MMO static combat that other titles in the genre seem content to offer. Combat in GW2 is a lot more fluid and active. Broker/AH/Trade Post is also the best I've seen in an MMO to date, not without flaws, but it's game wide, not limited by listing durations and you can set buy prices for items you're looking for.
    Only thing I personally miss is raiding, some challenge PVE wise to bring players together to overcome. WvW just doesn't do it for me, fun sure, but not in the same routine way that raiding was in the older generation MMOs.
  17. Oct 5, 2012
    Apart from a few niggly details mentioned by many others before me and none of which are showstoppers, the game is almost perfect. The combat system is actually quite a bit deeper than the amount of abilities, and some of the game's detractors suggest due to the dynamic weapon set swapping. As a thief sporting a sword/pistol and pistol/pistol I can shadowstep to my target, apply a venom and a high damage pistol whip attack, shadowstep back to my starting location, swap to dual pistols and strafe around the target to finish it off at range. The possible variations coupled with actively dodging incoming attacks are more than enough to keep things interesting.

The dynamic events system is fun too although the numbers of people joining in can make things seem a bit 'zergy'. The 'heart' quests aren't that much different from MMO quests you've seen before with the main difference being that you usually get a selection of activities to do in order to complete the quest of which you can do any combination you like. I haven't yet made it in to my first instanced dungeon yet but I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out with no dedicated tank or healer classes.

PVP and WvWvW is a hoot! Especially if you are running with a group of friends in WvWvW. No gear grinding in order to be competitive in the Battlegrounds either, everyone is given the same quality gear so it's down to individual skill and even more so team play and tactics.

Visually and aesthetically the game is unmatched in this genre. It just looks fantastic and the soundtrack is suitably epic, written by Jeremy Soule of Elder Scrolls fame.

There is so much more I could discuss about other aspects of the game such as crafting, personal story line quests, character customisation options etc. etc. but in all honesty I don't want to spend any more time writing about the game when I could be playing it.

Cya ;)
  18. Oct 5, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a wonderful game as it incorporates an innovative and completely new style to MMORPGs. The game has beautifully crafted environments and characters, an easy to pick up insanely hard to master combat style, fascinating lore with an intriguing storyline and an immersive, constantly changing world, there is never a time when you have nothing to do in Tyria. The community also feels generally friendly, there aren't as many trolls and flamers compared to many other MMORPGs, although the massive number of gold sellers spamming chat is quite irritating. That being said Arenanet has taken a rather anti-gold-seller approach to Guild Wars 2 by making it so that in-game currency can be traded for paid currency. In Guild Wars 2 finding groups for dungeons is fairly quick even without a feature similar to WoW's dungeon finder because there is no 'holy trinity' in the game, most combinations of any 5 professions will work, I've even once run a hard mode dungeon as 5 necromancers. There have been a lot of worries about the lack of an endgame in Guild Wars 2 but many of these worries are unfounded, there is PLENTY of endgame content and it's pretty fun as well. In every boss fight it's never the lack of gear that kills you, it's the incredibly difficult mechanics or lack of a player's skill that kills you. Guild Wars 2 PvE endgame consists mostly of explorable mode or hard mode dungeons. The bosses in the dungeons themselves tend to drop pretty crappy gear, but when a player finishes a dungeon they are rewarded with tokens which are specific to that dungeon, these tokens are used to buy better gear that has looks that are based on the dungeon which the tokens were acquired from. Most explorable mode dungeons have 1 very challenging boss and the rest aren't too bad, but the challenging boss has the tendency to be REALLY DAMN CHALLENGING. That being said, all of these bosses can be overcome without too much difficulty as long as everyone in the team contributes and covers each others mistakes. It's not about being perfect so much as it is about minimizing the number of mistakes you make and helping teammates out when they screw up. Getting enough tokens to complete a full set of gear is quite a grind as each piece of gear requires quite a lot of tokens, some may argue that it's a bit too much of a grind, I'm inclined to agree especially since it can take up to 2 hours to complete an explorable mode dungeon on a PUG and you don't get an awful lot of tokens per run. Overall Guild Wars 2 may not be a perfect game but it is certainly an amazing game and it is the next step in the evolution of MMORPGs. Expand
  19. Oct 5, 2012
    Like many of you I have been disappointed by so many games over the years but I decided to get Guildwars 2 yesterday and it is awesome!
    I am a MMO fan and have enjoyed playing such games as WOW, SW:TOR, Everquest 2, Rift and Tera but I have to say Guildwars 2 blows them away. There is so much to do and see. Believe the hype!
  20. Oct 3, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a fun game. The no subscription fee method allows players to play the game at their own pace. That's another plus. Wouldn't be surprised if Guild Wars 2 won the 2012 Best PC Game Award.
  21. Oct 3, 2012
    Fantastic game. If you sick and tired of boring copied wow clones then this game is for you. Excellent graphics, gameplay and best of all its B2P. This game is definitely gonna give **** Mop a run for its money.
  22. Oct 2, 2012
    Fans of fantasy RPG have had to wait a long time for a game where they can imagine themselves as heroes in 'another world' without paying by the month for it. This game fills a gap that Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2 both sorely failed to fill. Guild Wars 2 scratches the itch of Fantasy RPG fans with an expansive, beautifully presented world. There is exploration, crafting, swords and sorcery. There are guilds and social elements if you need them, or you can solo if you prefer. If you want PVP. There are plenty of different builds to play around with, and five races to delve into. The developers appear to be doing their best to offer a gamer-friendly experience and have certainly worked very hard to make this game big enough and flexible enough for everyone except the most head-up-the-arse hard core-nutters. The elements of killing mobs and bosses, and grinding levels are all familiar, and not really better than youve already seen elsewhere. But the art IS better. Many small details of presentation ARE improved. And the pay-once play-forever model is a SUPERB challange for Blizzard to start trying to earn money with better games rather than milking and exploiting their customer base all the way. If you are an RPG fan, you can't go wrong with this game. If you haven't tried an MMO before THIS is the place to start. If you play WOW and are curious, play some of a friends account and choose whichever game you prefer. Thanks Arenanet for expanding our choices, and thanks for Trying to upgrade and evolve the model. If this game gets Blizzard to try harder we all win. For that reason alone... for daring to compete we should all appreciate and applaud what this game represents. The trolls giving this game 0s and 1s should understand just how this game might end up helping them enjoy better games at better prices and repost with scores that reflect an understanding of how Arenanet efforts will finally IMPROVE their gaming experience. 8/10 for the game. 10/10 due to its entirely positive influence on game design for those games to come which will be better and cheaper because of Guild Wars 2. Expand
  23. Oct 2, 2012
    This game is something new. I love that the questing system is not really there, and you have so much freedom to do whatever you want! The Event System is also genious. Despite all the bugs that has been since the early launch, I find this game to be very addicting, and is the best MMO I've played since WoW
  24. Oct 2, 2012
    The game is brilliant. Contains action,exploring,pvp and group events. The idea of World Events is just great. The leveling is fun and its not boring and monotonic. There are various types of quests.From gathering through killing escorting and ending on defending certain points. The mechanics of the game are great.Combo mechanism really kicks the fun up. The trading system is awesome because you can trade while questing and doin your stuff. You dont have to run to Auction house or something. You just trade as you go and then pick your money or stuff at Trade Post. Pvp is also big part of the game and is ballanced. Additionally building siege weapons and team playing really makes the pvp hot. This game is not just for solo play. Bigger fun is when you co-operate with other ppl,make events together and work in guilds.
    Awesome game
  25. Oct 2, 2012
    No commitment fun. I'm not tied down by a subscription - which is great. But most importantly, the game is beautiful. I'm happy they worked on it an extra two years. Quality really shines through.
  26. Oct 2, 2012
    This is as good as any MMO has ever been. If you're still playing WoW and the Mists of Panderia daily grind, it's because you underestimated and/or misjudged GW2. This is the game to be playing, and any fan of WoW, Rift, or DAoC owes it to themselves to call GW2 their home for the foreseeable future. This is not another incremental evolution, this is an MMO revolution.

The only thing
    you might miss are instanced raids at end-game. End-game now consists of open-world raids, 3-faction world vs. world PvP, character appearance and gear customization via dyes and dungeon systems, and legendary weapon grinds. In addition, there are still tons of places to explore, quests and events to complete, secret treasure chests to find, jumping puzzles to solve, scenario PvP, and plenty more surprises.

The game might feel a lot like WoW at first, but that just means you're playing it wrong -- seriously. Don't worry, much like anything new, you will begin to understand it with time and effort invested.

Ultimately, GW2 is a wholly unique experience that captures some of the magic that your favorite MMO used to have. Guild Wars 2 is as good as the genre has ever been.
  27. Oct 1, 2012
    A terrific blend of social questing, incredibly flexible game mechanics that engage rather than bore, and a deep, beautiful, and magical world to explore is something we've seen from many games in years past. But take that and apply it to an MMO...and do it incredible well...that is truly a remarkable accomplishment. It's fun, It's huge, and it's abounding with far too much content for a single human being to comprehend. The grind is there, but is masked by the ingenious social events and fun and varied quests that you accomplish. It's the art style that is truly wonderful, ranging from massive snow topped peaks to the depths of Tyria and everywhere in between. Jeremy Soule's score is, yet again, magic. I love it, and I hate MMO's. Consider me a believer; ArenaNet has produced a remarkable package, and if you pass for any reason you'll be missing out on an incredible adventure. Expand
  28. Oct 1, 2012
    It's my new main MMO. I'm a casual player, meaning I have a life outside of the game. Working 40+ hrs a week along with my hubby and child. I don't feel pressured to play the game to get my moneys worth. Questing known as hearts are still the same as any other MMO but hides it with a new way by giving options of what you want to do. No longer having to kill 50 lizards just for a small pecentage of experience and repeat. DE is just wow, just wow. No more griefing over others taking my kills or resorces. Expand
  29. Oct 1, 2012
    I've personally been waiting for a game like this for a long time. The freedom to level how you wish is phenomenal. Being an artist though, the art direction is what pulls me in the most. This game is beautiful. I'm not saying that the graphics have to be "uber current" with today's technology, but just that it has a focused consistent appeal with it's design and personality. The races are really refreshing too, all of them, (less so with the humans) bring something new to the stereotypical races seen today in MMORPGs. The story may not pull me in quite as powerfully as say SWTOR, but WAY more than WOW. Don't get me wrong I actually play and enjoy all three, it's just that I still find myself attracted to GW2 the most even though MOP is fun. But I can only compare these three MMO's as they are the only ones I've ever played. Coming from a background of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, Age of Mythology, Unreal Tournament, Borderlands, Fable, Titan Quest, Warcraft III, and some other A+ titles, I have high standards for a games lore, and that is why WoW pulled me right in. But since I tend to swing back and forth between gaming moods for the slower pace of RPGs and the frenetic action of FPSs, I've been waiting for a game that has a good balance of both. That's where GW2's pulled me in. It's PvP has all I have been waiting for as the mechanics and level of freedom flow with the fluid controls and animations of your character. While in WoW I could never shake the feeling of controlling an agile paper doll, in SWOTOR I felt like I was trying to manipulate a stiff action figure. In GW2 my character actually controls much closer to the living being that I want as my character in an MMO or any game for that matter. It's simply refreshing to have that feeling while playing. My other biggest draw to this game was the limited number of skills to use, yes "limited". Having so many buttons to push and keep track of for skills always hindered my ability to stay immersed in whatever I was doing in-game. So maybe I'm not hardcore, but when I play a "game" I want it to be a game and not a "job". So having fewer abilities actually creates a nice balance for me, while it did not dumb down all the theory crafting I enjoy too. So in short this MMO offers something different and different in a very good way for gamers today. As a veteran gamer GW2 has firmly planted itself alongside WoW and all the other AAA games that have been my favorite franchises and IP's. Expand
  30. Sep 29, 2012
    One of the best games out there. It's clear as day that the large majority of these "negative reviews" are coming from people who have not even played the game and are either just trolling to be miserable trolls or are mad because their game might be failing in some way (SWTOR, Kung Fu Panda)
  31. Sep 29, 2012
    This game is genre defining. It really sets the bar for everything coming up next. The quest system is fantastic, unlike any other mmorpg on the market, the classes are filled with possibilities and you never feel trapped into a system or "cookie cutter builds" that degrade the experience. Not to mention the great graphics, incredible soundtrack, colourful characters filled with personality, giant dragons to lay down... I know it may sound childish, but this game is full of win. This was the MMO we've all been waiting for. If you haven't played it yet, just go and get it. Expand
  32. Sep 29, 2012
    So I just read some red reviews like "I hated it before I played it" and I notice that people are not satisfied because the game is more for casual players with no intention to play a year to achieve a fully playable character. I noticed more than once that the problem is mostly that the game does not support the I'm being better than you style, but you guys forget something - that is not the targeted player base. It is a pay once game, so why the heck they should bind players for long term like monthly fee mmos? As also I will clear something up - not everyone is interested in graphics - and for a mmo this is awesome... I started playing with Anarchy Online - yeah there where games before WoW (I never understand why someone play that game) and to all those crying - calm down and play a game not 10 years old and then we talk again about gameplay and graphics. It is like with everything - human are never satisfied for long term, but this game is just better than everything else out there if you consider you just pay the price for a normal AAA game with 6-10 hours playtime and NO monthly fee. You dont get it right? There is absolutely nothing you can say against this game if you keep that in mind. Expand
  33. Sep 29, 2012
    Na, na, na, na, na, na, na na, na, na, na, na, na, na Guil Wars 2, no fees, no the boring trinity world vs world ......... .......

Again, no fees, pay, play and play when ati, you exit the [.......].

There is NOTHING in the current market, you do shadow, NOTHING, not ever compare with the failed and rehash MOP WOW, that Bli $ $, not interested in their customers, they are interested
    in your wallet, good for all companies as well, but other caregivers better than others. Expand
  34. Sep 29, 2012
    Masterpiece of an MMO-RPG game. Let me start by saying I'm not a fanboy of GW or Arenanet, nor I'm a person that takes sides first before critically thinking, or devotes himself to a product/idea/politics, etc etc before having an objective analysis. I'm simply extremely happy with this game and I praise Arenanet (a company unknown to me before this) for what they have accomplished here. GW2 is better in almost everysingle aspect than any other MMO out there right now. Their PvP, Classes, Dungeons, Combat (TERA might arguably be better), inventory, UI, questing, Storyline (SWTOR was equally as good), itemization, gathering, community (oh boy, this is the best part), side-dishes (things to do extra), crafting, graphics, major cities.....(I could go on for a while), are far superior and well done than their competition (WoW). All this put together, gives the player a sense of adventure, challenge, journey, community, and above all Epicness. This is something that a lot of MMOs are losing (WoW spearheading the idea) in favor of faster, easier on demand mindless GRIND. I can't simply understand how Blizzard has the face to charge their customer $15/month for their junk, after watching what Arenanet did with this game, it's even more unbelievable is the fact that people would still pay for it. Bottom line, this game is as good as it gets in MMOs, and best part is that I see Arenanet very much involved in listening their customers and taking the game in the right direction. Expand
  35. Sep 28, 2012
    The amount of stories that are available is amazing. The game has so much replay value. I am definitely getting my $60 out of the game. The game is huge and i feel like i will never finish it. I have had the game for 2-3 weeks and i am level 37 and have no intention on quitting now. (having friends with you is a great way to enjoy the game more.)
  36. Sep 28, 2012
    This game is simply incredible. It excels in just about every aspect. I have some problems, which I will explain near the end, but for now, the PROS:
    Game Play: The game play is very unique and in depth. Each weapon has different abilities for each class. A warrior with a sword will have different abilities than a ranger with a sword. One is able to use two different weapons, which allow
    one to pull of interesting and in depth combos. You could use an axe and horn on the ranger, allowing you to buff yourself and debuff then enemy, then switch to something like a great sword so you can charge into battle to clean up. Each race also has different racial abilities which provide a unique experience between them. As for the actual game play, it is very fast paced and exciting. For an MMO, there is plenty of action while fighting. Moving and using spells is enabled (for most spells), giving you a more exciting experience. All and all, game play is great.
    Story: Story is good. Each race has a different story and each story is unique and interesting. There really isn't much to say about this. It's a legitimate story where the feeling of urgency is imposed on you, making you aware of how important the events unraveling are.
    Art: Quite possibly the BEST looking MMO I have ever seen. The art is fantastic. Each area reflects the race said province belongs to. It could look at war-ridden and damaged, like the Charr's area, or all technical and advanced, like the Asura's area (both of which reflect the personalities and history of the races). The environments look great, the models look great, and all around everything just looks great. This game is eye-candy to its truest form.
    End Game and Loot: The end game is kind of in a weird spot, as is the loot. While there is end game and a great loot system, it doesn't really keep you as interested as does in World of Warcraft. If you are a grinding machine and just love to farm, there is a great end game for you (unlocking and creating legendary weapons). Otherwise, you might being to feel bored with what is provided. I am not considering this a con, however, because there are ways to keep yourself entertained in the end game. One could do events, earn money, engage with a guild, and much more. People tend to think that end game simply means raiding big bosses and getting the loot. In my opinion, that is not it. A good end game is an end game that keeps you entertained and happy, not one that just throws bosses and items at you until your gear lust is satisfied. CONS:
    Music: Don't get me wrong; I LOVE the new music in the game. But there's an issue. There is new music and there is reused music from the last Guild Wars games. The new music is good, but as someone who is a Guild Wars veteran, it kind of made me feel a bit sour about what was provided to me as a fan of the old game. The music is fantastic, it really is, but I've already heard it... hundreds of times... Something that is already old to me gets older. To me, it just seems lazy. PvP: Can you believe it? Guild Wars PvP is a con! But, alas, it is true. What Guild Wars 1 and it's expansions prided itself in was the PvP. That is what the game was, and still is, known for: it's incredible, in depth, and skillful PvP. However, in Guild Wars 2 the whole aspect of PvP is just lazily done and feels rather boring and unrewarding. World v World v World is fun, but it really devolves into a zerg fest as to who can get the most territory the quickest. Sure, guilds can cooperate in order to control the points, but that merely is just a more organized zerg fest that tries to get the most territory the quickest. WvWvW is fun if it's small skirmishes, but that is usually rare and generally those fights end before you even realize it. The 5v5 PvP matches aren't really zerg fests. They require more strategy and tactics. That being said, there are only four maps, all of which have the same basic principle: reach 500 points first. Each map is "kinda-sorta" different, but the general idea is still there: hold more points and get more kills, as well as attack or defend any critical events that map may have. I found myself becoming legitimately bored with the PvP very quickly.
    OVERALL: 9/10
    Fantastic game which will be sure to keep most gamers entertained. It's fun, fast paced, and enjoyable. Most people wonder this: is this game a WoW killer? Maybe not, but it's a start. I haven't had this much fun with an MMO since vanilla WoW, and that's saying a lot. This game truly stands out above all other MMOs that are out there.
  37. Sep 27, 2012
    An amazing game! I especially like the exploration part of hidden caves and dungeons spread around the world which in general reward you with loot chests or special events.
  38. Sep 27, 2012
    After playing this game hardcore for over a month, I feel that the hype has finally worn off and the game truly deserves a 10 rating. It's by far the best MMO right now, even better than World of Warcraft (though that's mostly due to Blizzard's failings).

Arenanet delivered on every promise they made prior to releasing the game. You are always happy to play with other people, you
    never feel like you're forced to compete against others, the visuals are stunning, character creation is surprisingly deep, and the action during even the most mundane event is amazing and fun. Anet has taken MMO gamers off the hamster wheel (endless loot cycle) and given us a game that's supposed to be fun. I can honestly say they delivered. Expand
  39. Sep 27, 2012
    This game is definitely one of the best games I have ever played, and THE best MMORPG out there at this, and a much longer, time. Everything from graphics to storyline are beautifully done. The game can pleasure your needs as a gamer by being able to level up multiple ways (and if you are tired or in the mood for a change, it's easy!), anywhere from watering flowers, to exploring, to bashing people with beer kegs, and even to intense fast-paced huge scale battles in World Versus World Versus World. Even though it is a bit buggy (still one of the most bug-free MMO releases to date though), a bit slow game support, and missing a few things, it is nice to know that the amazing game developers are always working on a fix 24/7. The game really allows you to play how YOU want, alone, with a party, or even in a giant group. The personal story line mixed with the originality of the races, and professions, really makes you feel different from the crowd. There is always something more to do in GW2, all with no subscription fee! I definitely recommend this game to any gamers library. See you in-game! Expand
  40. Sep 27, 2012
    Before the game came out I worried that it was over-hyped and that Anet couldn't possibly deliver everything they said they could, but they did! I've been glued to this game since getting it a couple weeks ago. In other games, after an hour or so of questing, I'd start to get bored and need a break but I didn't have that happen in GW2. After doing heart events for a little bit, about the time boredom would normally set in, I'd start looking for vistas or do some gathering and then all of a sudden some huge event will kick off, like a world boss or something. Next thing you know you've just lost hours playing and you're ready for some more heart events or story quests. The world just feels alive and like there's always something happening. Seriously, one of the best games I've played in years! Expand
  41. Sep 27, 2012
    GW2 is a fantastic MMO that has made a great change to how MMO's will operate in the future (at least i hope) . Graphics for this game are amazing, however, needs a good spec PC to run. The game has a wise variety of classes and unique skills for every race. Not necessarily classed into tank, healer, DPS but you are able to customise every class to what you like. Personal story starts off amazing until around level 60 where I personally found it fell off. Questing is made fun and the dynamic events are great fun when in a large group of players, however some areas lacked event number and variety. WvWvW is a brilliant idea, however slightly imbalanced at the moment due to servers starting up. Exp gaining is solid all the way through, grinding is taken out of levelling, however farming materials did become tedious. Dungeons were very difficult, however, were very fun to play through once I found for narrative purposes. Other issues I found is that auction house took a while to fix, some personal story quests were bugged and some hearts quests were very difficult to complete compared to others. Also there is a limited amount of lvl 80 content at the moment which is disappointing, however, they still need to complete the rest of the map. Would love to see flying mounts to show off the scenery more as well as more variety in WvWvW, maybe a few extra weapons and finally more tough dragons.
    Can't wait to play the expansions that will hopefully be arriving!!
  42. Sep 27, 2012
    Truly loving this game. I decided the second I saw it that I would buy this game and was not disappointed in the slightest. I have been playing WoW for 6 years. I am glad in a way that Mists of Pandaria is so terribly childish, given me more time to play GW2.

I love the PvP and cant wait for more battlefields to be added. Server vs Server PvP is a lot of fun and a cool thing to be
    brought into MMOs. I enjoy the constant struggle to keep another realm from dominating. I love reactive things, so this fit well for me.

I absolutely love the art work and it doesn't bog down my aging comp, which is a bonus. The armor sets are truly epic!
  43. Sep 27, 2012
    I doubted between a 9 and a 10, but given the fact that some people manage to write this game off with scores that would put it below SW:TOR, I'm going to go for a 10 even if there are no perfect games. This is probably the best MMO I ever played. Graphics and Sound are great but gameplay and game mechanics really take the crown. Casual friendly, no gear grind, the perfect MMO to just go and have fun with. It might not meet the expectations of some hardcore gamers that expect the world to bow down to them because they have nothing better to do than play a game all day long. However the vast majority of people playing this game all agree on one thing: this game is one of best, if not the best, MMO ever. Expand
  44. Sep 27, 2012
    So far I'm really enjoying GW 2. I do wish that my character's movement was a little more fluid. Sometimes it's feels like I'm moving a tank around the screen, but nevertheless, GW 2 is a move in the right direction for an otherwise tired genre, and the fact that's it's f2p makes me question how much money another major mmo has been taking from me in the form of sub fees, but thanks to GW2, I have cancelled that subscription for good! Visuals: 10
    Gameplay: 8
    Lasting Appeal: 10
    Overall Value: 10
  45. Sep 26, 2012
    I am really enjoying Guild Wars 2. I gave the game a 9 because there are some areas that the game still needs improvement. Overall though, the game is well worth the $60 price tag. Plenty of character customization, interesting races, beautiful landscapes and a surprisingly fun leveling process. For a buy to play game, this game definitely has plenty of content to keep you busy. One word of advice, do not rush your way through to 80 but take your time going through the zones. No need to worry about out leveling the area you are in because you will be down leveled so the game is challenging regardless of where you are playing. The Dynamic Events are fun and they do scale depending on how many others are participating them. The reason I didn't give the game a perfect score is because there are some problems with rewards and a little thing called Diminishing Returns. Some of personal stories could use some work as well. But for a brand new game that has just come out, these flaws can be mostly overlooked. ArenaNet is constantly working on improving the game and communicate with players on their forums.

I am greatly looking forward to seeing how this game develops in the future.
  46. Sep 26, 2012
    The finest hour for MMO's, I started playing MMO's with World of Warcraft at launch, I have since played most of the MMO's that have come since and a few that came before also and I feel I speak with some authority when I say that this is by far the best game I've played at launch in this genre. Please feel free to ignore any comments whining about lack of end game content as these people fall into two distinct categories: 1. People who raced to 80 as fast as possible and didn;t even wait for others to join them and didn't try out any of the end content. 2. People who simply haven't played but are upset that WoW servers are becoming quieter these days. Either way, there is plenty to do at end game, far more than WoW at launch which had zero end game content, no raids, no BG's, basically you could do UBRS, help lowbie guildies or save for an epic mount and that was it....oh, or go to Hillsbrad and lag out for 30 minutes. Apologies for comparing so much with WoW but someone needs to counteract all the whining WoW fanboys.

Thankfully, GW2 addresses the modern day problems with all MMO's, there's no kill stealing, no imbalanced gear-based PvP to deter new players from trying it. No fetch and return quests, no ninja looting, no easy mode levelling where you simply round up as many mobs as you can aggro, not even those rude players who always seem angry and hateful....because there's no need to be angry, no one can steal your kills, loot or even nodes, you can only help fellow players and this makes for a fantastic community where I find myself regularly aided by passers by, healed and thanked, just like the good old days :)

The PvP is amazing also, would like some CTF maps but again, as a brand new game I am certain more will be added to both PvE and PvP as with WoW. Thank goodness for GW2 because I was sick of MMO's where everything before max level was geared to get you to max level and joining the grind as soon as possible and I was sick of MMO's where end game felt like a part time job. By far the best game I have played and I genuinely cannot recommend it enough.

However, a small word on new players, the first 3 days or so are confusing, you have to get used to the new way of doing things and learn how things work. I would say they needed a tutorial but finding these things out is a huge part of the experience for me and something you will remember with fondness when you're a seasoned veteran.
  47. Sep 26, 2012
    Fun and innovative in the sense that you level up quickly without realizing that your doing it. Combat is fast paced and smooth, graphics are beautifully done, and over all game play is extremely enjoyable.
  48. Sep 25, 2012
    Finally a game that combines the best features of the good mmo's while adding new mechanics and ways to play the game. It will be a long time I think before a better game than GW2 will be made.
  49. Sep 25, 2012
    This game is the culmination of the evolution of both free to play, and subscription MMOs. The game design and art are superb, and the microtransaction/auction system is amazing. Cant say enough good things about this game. p.s. Also, lots of replayability between races in terms of story.
  50. Sep 25, 2012
    I waited yers for this game to come out and truth to be told it was its trailer that made me try Guild Wars 1 which I played for some ammount of time. This game really did live up to expectations, the gameplay is really fluid thanks to the way the combat is designed for movement while fighting making you able to dodge, roll, jump, etc out of the way of damage while making your attacks in turn while they very interestingly added something similar to a special attack you can build up by attacking. Your attack skills are earned by using the weapon of choice which change depending on the weapons you have on you, this essentially gets rid of the annoying "level up to get that skill!" and making it more versatile and practical by making you unlock the skills through fighting rather than waiting for each level up to earn something. Another great thing is the cooperative gameplay that makes it that as long as you contribute you get exp. so that makes it impossible for people to steal exp, monsters or loot while everyone can revive you AND heal themselves, so you'd group only to see your friends on the map. The graphics are very beautiful and even with my medium end pc I can't quite completely max everything with the ammount of details everywhere. To this I will also that it's kind of interesting how castles, mountains and whatnot LOOK like paintings. The story of the game will very very very different for each person as it changes depending on your choices as well as you character's back story. It's really a hell of a game, I feel as if every penny that I payed should have been dollars because it really is such a magnificent game that I think I payed less than I should have. Great job Arenanet, it REALLY was worth the wait. Expand
  51. Sep 25, 2012
    hmm worth to spend buck for this game..
    altough i aint play the first sequel but when im play GW 2 i fall in love with this game..

best graphic and story make a player enjoy play this game..
  52. Sep 24, 2012
    This game is the best mmo out there, my biggest problem is my credit card got hacked shortly after buying it. Thus it is a great game without safe purchase methods
  53. Sep 24, 2012
    I wish i could comment on some of these negative reviews. If you are hitting the same 2 buttons the entire game your doing it wrong. This is the most immersive game i have ever played. The pvp is slightly lacking in the number of maps and gametypes (more content is being made), BUT it is the most balanced pvp in any mmo. The reason some people don't like that is because they can no longer faceroll noobs. If your looking for a $60 game you can spend hundreds of hours on without ever getting bored or frustrated, this is the game for you. Expand
  54. Sep 23, 2012
    The game is amazing in my own opinion. The graphics are spot on and the visual schemes are amazing. I am still playing and i feel so immersed. Besides the PvE which i can go meh at sometimes (compared to many other mmo's where the pve is just BLAH), it rescues itself in PVP. It is legendary in that aspect. I'll admit although that the story lines somewhat branch off to random places but the new story lines that they introduce are so immersible that I didn't really give a care. The branching story lines was great and the crafting system is truly a new change in the mmo concept and will mark the beginning of evolution of mmo's. Sometimes the bosses are so hard and make you so irritated but they motivate you to keep trying! The game is A BIG ASS PARTY. Not one party, a huge ass one lol. You can also frequently change weapons so, you get 5 skills per weapon set which makes 10 skills but this requires revolutional which weapon to choose at an certain time unlike those people who complain. This brings about a whole new system of balance. For instance, i can go Dagger and Dagger mage to do single target DPS or i can go staff to provide aoe cover and viable support to my team. All classes are balanced in their own unique ways! To be honest i didn't know what class to choose at first since i loved them all so much and that none of them were op, all of them had their own pros and cons and were all perfectly balanced. This one mmo actually had you think and plot plans instead of going in to the middle and blasting everything away with a huge aoe skill or with op items. This is why when u go to a low level place on the map, they scale you down in order to provide a challenge and make so many things so entertaining! Expand
  55. Sep 23, 2012
    Really funny game! I already spend 300 hs on it and don't regret buying it. Some times the non-story-quest get really boring(but it always happen in all MMOs). For me this game has four strong points: -It encourages you to explore the world
    -If people help you in a quest is really helpful and not annoying like in others MMO
    -No monthly fee, Play whenever you want without guiltiness

-And the best it's the WvWvW and PvP, really really addictive
  56. Sep 23, 2012
    Don't listen to the naysayers they are just WOW fanbabies who are upset that GW2 is so popular and good. It really is fantastic and the graphics are some of the best I've ever seen. It also puts RIFT to shame and the world is HUGE and you get 5 starting areas and several classes and 5 races. It has one of the most unique skills systems I've ever seen with 5 of the skills out of the 10+ you get attached to each type of weapon you use. It truely is one of the best MMO's on the market now and well worth the $60 I paid for it. There is lots to explore and an very simple combat system but still enough to do to make it skillful and not just a roll face type of combat system.
    It has daily achievements for you to do, monthly and many many more types to grant you titles and money.
    The endgame is well not really an endgame because there's really no raiding required, there's no grind required UNLESS you want to grind for OPTIONAL ARMOR and WEAPONS that are PURELY COSMETIC and nothing more. Too many WOWbabies whine because it's not easy to get in 3 weeks time playing lol.

Trust me if you want a great fun MMO to play that doesn't take all your time away this is the one. Nothing out there is as good as this and so much fun. :)
  57. Sep 23, 2012
    Very refreshing mmo, and with no monthly fee, it's a winner! The "quest" system is what i liked most and why I find it so refreshing. Great job Arenanet, can't wait to see where you take this game.
  58. Sep 22, 2012
    Incredible. The only downside is struggling with the addiction to play everyday. Beautiful graphics. Incredible sound effects and music. And you can do sooo many things in this game other than just concentrating on killing monsters for farming xp or entering an instance for 3 or 4 hours and ending without any loot cause you lost all rolls (like ..well.... you know) This is a WELL balanced game. PC gaming always will rule! Expand
  59. Sep 21, 2012
  60. Sep 21, 2012
    Phenomenal game. It removes a lot of the things I hate about MMOs (monthly fee, gear grinds, pointless time sinks, the holy trinity of classes) and adds a bunch of great things (rewards for exploration, jumping puzzles, dynamic combat, branching story lines, "open" quests). There's a lot of value here for $60.
  61. Sep 21, 2012
    with a decent machine you can play this game with almost max graphics and it looks amazing. small things make a big diffrence birds and small forest animals cover the forests you never feel alone even in big zones. the events and collecting are made so that you are not competeing with other people which is a plus can tell you how many times ive run for a tree or collection spot to have another person beet me only to realize that hey i get to collect to. when you die you get a grace period to bring your self back or others to raise you. and dont get me started on the fact that its FREE TO PLAY best mmo as of right now. Expand
  62. Sep 21, 2012
    great game, great graphics, not too happy that sPvP is seperate from the main game, I guess there is WvW for that. on that note, WvW brings back the good old memories of RvR from DAOC.
  63. Sep 21, 2012
    Having played almost every MMO since the dawn of the genre (right back to MUDs) I've been jaded for a very long time and was almost hesitant to try yet another - the fact it was Subs-Free helped me overcome that reticence.
    I love it. While I've yet to reach the "Endgame" I can certainly say that so far it appears to be the best MMO ever - to the point that I've got 7 characters already
    and regularly playing 5 of them without feeling bored or feel like I'm wasting time I should be spending on my "Main" (the fact that a lot of the game is Account-shared helps). Dynamic Events are fun without being annoying like Rift's Rifts, the Hearts revolutionize questing and deliver on the promises WAR made about questing but absolutely failed to deliver.
    It's almost a no-brainer this one: once you've bought the box it's free forever. You'll probably find you do spend money on increasing the stingy Bank space and you might want more than 5 characters but otherwise the rest of the opportunities to spend money look easy to ignore/resist.
  64. Sep 20, 2012
    The only problems I have with this title are the dungeons are a annoying, everything is a boss it seems and there are a lot of them. The rewards are, generally speaking useless and when they are good, it's not for your class. But I don't dungeon much. The other is that rewards seems to be on the weak side of things, specifically the loot. WvW - it's a blast, I love it! Overall, outstanding title I intend on playing for years to come. Expand
  65. Sep 20, 2012
    This is the best MMORPG I have ever played so far. It doesn't suck your money like a hungry vacuum. Leveling is at ease. Full voice acting in main story. Exploring is also fun and actually rewarding. Very soothing music. Please, try the game, it doesn't even need monthly subscription to play.
  66. Sep 20, 2012
    I am thoroughly enjoying GW2. I can jump in and play for an hour or so, or I can play for 6, it's all easy and fun. I never feel the grind, and the world is stunning. Overall, it's just a really good game.
  67. Sep 20, 2012
    I have been looking for a game to keep my attention since I got bored of WoW a couple years ago, but nothing really has kept me too entertained for very long... until Guild Wars 2. Within the first 2 days I had put 20 hours into the game, and I have not even scratched the surface. Tons of stuff to do, great combat system, that is very interactive and actually takes skill to do well. If you're trying to get off the WoW train, then this is where you want to go. Expand
  68. Sep 19, 2012
    Most fun I've had in an MMO. The game is beautiful, tons of fun and addicting for all! The pve, pvp, and WvWvW is all amazing and really well done. Finally a game where you can do whatever you want.. Explore, do dungeons, pvp, WvW, and more! Also, this game is harder than your average MMO. Which is good! Who doesn't like a challenge?
  69. Sep 19, 2012
    First, as a GW VETERAN there are some things I can say as negative. Problem (or not so much) is that GW2 works, and it works very well. Could it be better with henchman? with monks? With the old currency, without damn repair and pay for map travel?? sure. But it's still a FAT 10 out of 10 to me. It's beautiful and huge and a pleasure to play.
  70. Sep 17, 2012
    The game is astonishing, I have played WoW for 6 years and every other MMO I haven't even bothered to try, all of them have been the same. Finally a game breaks the mold. I quit WoW almost a year ago now (DS my final raid after raiding everything since Vanilla). I won't sit and explain what most of the critics have already said, suffice to say, even if you don't like RPG's or MMO's, give the game a go, it has something for everyone. Expand
  71. Sep 17, 2012
    Having put countless hours into Guild Wars, I can now say with confidence that this is the MMORPG that stands the best chance of dethroning World of Warcraft. It's also one that I've thoroughly enjoyed. Guild Wars 2 is the modern MMORPG that offers a more streamlined and comfortable experience in open-world exploring and PvP for players of all skills/experience. And instead of ignoring players who want to be crafty or explorative, GW2 rewards them. I've really enjoyed some of the elements Guild Wars 2 has borrowed from other excellent action/adventure games (like Skyrim or Assassin's Creed). Those elements help give you drive to do certain things to completion, which often nets you achievements and bonus gear, XP, and an assortment of treasures. The game isn't a radical departure from MMORPG's, but it offers enough of a refresh to earn your $60 investment (without forcing you to buy into a subscription). There is a small learning curve to parts of this game, but nothing is unlearnable or un-masterable. If you've been waiting for a game to come along to pull you away from WoW's stale-ish experience or you just gave up on MMORPGs because of their lack of innovation, Guild Wars 2's world is one you need to experience. Expand
  72. Sep 17, 2012
    There is something fishy about the ratings, I aggregated the critic scores and it was a 97, I think someone fiddled with the review, or was poorly aggregated. Mistake or not, this needs to be fixed. Also, don't consider loisho's review, he/she seems to hate everything, giving Dead Space 2 a 0/10, Skyrim a 0/10, GW2 a 4/10 (his/her highest score!) and DD (not D&D) a 1/10.
  73. Sep 16, 2012
    Game in which everyone will find something for you. No matter how much time you can dedicate to game, you can fully enjoy it. I think this is what make it completely different from other MMO games.
  74. Sep 16, 2012
    Before I write my review, I just want to get something out there. It is really frustrating for me to see all these bad reviews based solely on account hackings, launch hiccups, or poor customer service due to the unexpected influx of new players. These issues have nothing to do with the overall quality of the game, and will have no impact on prospective buyers in a few months time. This creates a severe imbalance in terms of user reviews, as those who encounter problems such as those I mentioned above come here to rage, while those who have a had a great customer service experience or no hackings just expect that from such a well polished, fantastic game and don't bother coming here to review. And don't get me started on people just flat-out lying on here. Yes, you can play with friends. Yes, you have more than 5 skills. I honestly think most of the people on here rating less than 6 are either being bought out by rival companies, or played the game for 30 minutes during the initial launch. Anyways, now that that's off my chest. This is the without a doubt the best MMO out there. The visuals are picturesque, and the stories are entertaining and even humorous. But when it comes to an MMO, the most important things (at least in my opinion) are combat and questing system. These areas in MMOS have sat relatively stagnant since basically forever. Gear based combat with little focus on player skill, and quest-hub based fetch/kill quests. Guildwars 2 takes huge steps towards remedying these awful aspects of MMOs. The questing system is incredible, with a great balance of the random dynamic events, exploration and renown hearts. And the combat is extremely skill based, with gear mostly being used to compliment your build. (I'm not going to go into a bunch of detail here, hopefully any potential players are interested enough to read some detailed reviews on these systems by people who can actually write)

One of my favorite non gameplay related features is the complete lack of subscription fees. Becasue of this, Arenanet is not incentivized to make boring, grindy content to keep players busy while they drain 15$ a month out of them. This means that (no matter how sad this sounds) I'm actually excited to play this game because its fun, not because I'm being dragged through it by a carrot-on-a-stick leveling/gear treadmill.
  75. Sep 16, 2012
    Like WoW in its time, Guild Wars 2 borrows the finer aspects of its predecessors, but also blends in enough variety and freshness to give it the edge we always craved from the "WoW killer" MMORPG. Stylistically, it feels like what a Final Fantasy MMO should've been, but with the technical crispness of WoW's best moments, strong world PvP like Dark Age of Camelot, and world group events such as those found in Rift.

Incredibly, the PvE aspects are as good as any game I've played, which I felt was a huge shortcoming of the original Guild Wars. Granted, I'm only a short way through the plotline, but the way it's going I don't think I'll be bored with any aspect of the game any time soon: whether multiplayer or solo, against players or monsters, questing or crafting or simply exploring the rich game world, everything in GW2 scintillates.

This game rules. Buy it, play it, love it, tell your friends, and don't forget to go outside once in a while...
  76. Sep 14, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is awesome, it was more than I could expect. The game is fantastic and I really love all the beautiful details... the quality is way above any other MMO I've played. The personal story is intriguing and you can't stop playing.
  77. Sep 14, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is the most original MMO in an over saturated market. This game continues to entertain and deliver new thrills. Arena Net has designed a game that encourages exploration and makes the world feel vast and alive. Guild Wars 2 has also created the most dynamic and interesting combat system. If you try to just button mash or spam an attack you will not succeed. The end game content is vast and very challenging. This creates an environment where everyone wants to compete and play since the dungeons are designed for 5 players only. Each one of the 5 players are required to play and if they have a weakness it will be exposed. The crafting system is a breath of fresh air and never feels tedious or awkward. I highly suggest this game to any type of gamer. Guild Wars 2 offers something for any game type. Expand
  78. Sep 14, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is one of the best MMO's to be released in many years, its skill based mechanics is superb creating a really fun and addictive PvE PvP and WvWvW content and environment. ArenaNet has crafted their game very well, the aesthetics have been carefully crafted and fitted together, coupled with Jeremy Soule score it makes Guild Wars 2 look, sound and feel amazing while still setting its grim yet beautiful tone within the Guild Wars lore. Guild Wars 2 innovates the genre with very simple and yet very effective innovations and sets new high standards and mile stones for future MMO and all this with no subscription fees, ArenaNet as just not only put everything else in the genre to shame, but most of the MMO developers and their publishers too deep shame. Expand
  79. Sep 13, 2012
    This is one of the finest games I have ever played. It succeeds in all areas that I care about in an MMO. It is fun to play by myself and interact with other people I don't know and its also fun to play with friends you know. You can play with any of your friends thanks to the downleveling system which I think is an awesome idea. The world is beautiful and charters look great, the story quests are also great in my opinion, its the only MMO I have ever played that has made me care about the story in any way shape or form. All around an amazing MMO and no subscription fees! It doesnt get much better than this for $60 if you ask me. Expand
  80. Sep 13, 2012
    I'm very happy with GW2, I have enjoyed every second I have played the game and look forward to being able to spend more time with it. There is so much depth, but it's easy for me to pick up and play and learn new things. If you are on the fence I'd say now is a great time to start playing. :)
  81. Sep 13, 2012
    For Presentation they get a 10! There is detail in everything you encounter even the idle character animations.
    Graphics on a high end PC is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, true artistry! Not just higher polygon count or pixels.
    Sound is a perfect 10! The music and the ambient sound lures u in this fantasy world.
    Gameplay is by far the best offered in any game period! You got
    strategy, fact action clicking, responsive moves, counter moves the combat actually feels alive! Not just stand there an spam 1 2 and 3...
    Lasting Appeal receives a 9! The world is huge and u like great exploring this world on a main character as well as on an alt. having different races and classes give me many month of enjoyment
  82. Sep 13, 2012
    Seriously the most innovative MMO.

Any low reviews are people with out-dated computers, WoW fanboys or outright Blizzard employees.

There is NOTHING bad about this game.
  83. Sep 13, 2012
    I followed the creation and production of Guild Wars 2 for the past three years, and I have to say it has lived up to and even surpassed my greatest expectations. I love this game, from the gorgeous artistry in every detail, to the way gameplay is so seamless you progress without meaning to, to the masterfully executed storytelling that truly makes you feel important, a direct force in an actually, really, truly epic fight to save the world. Arenanet has been brilliant the whole time, by the way. They've done a most commendable job in communicating with and paying attention to their fans/playerbase on a refreshingly personal level. 10/10, 5 stars, two thumbs up, and a standing ovation. Expand
  84. Sep 13, 2012
    Loving this game so far. You'll see Guild Wars 2 clones in the coming years. WARNING: You need a really good computer to run this. The minimum system specs aren't going to cut it. This game is more demanding on your comp than anything I've ever seen.
  85. Sep 13, 2012
    Game is a breakthrough in MMOs. It respects my time and doesn't favor people with monster amounts of time over adults with families and jobs. Grinding is essentially eliminated and the world event quests are very fun. No pressure to get to max level. Extremely Casual Player Friendly. RvRvR is fun and you can participate early one once you've acquired a few skills (otherwise you don't have enough skills to do much).

Lots to do. This game rivals any of the MMOs that have sub fees. The fact it has no sub fee is simply astonishing. The quality is second to none.
  86. Sep 13, 2012
    This is a great MMO and it is getting better. Forget WoW. This is it! I love the fact that the holy trinity of tank/healer/dps does not exist nor is it necessary. The game is not about gear or grinding. All those other annoying things in other MMOs have been gracefully dealt with in GW2.
  87. Sep 13, 2012
    I played WOW starting BC
    I feel that WOW was like a job - login at raid time, try boss, try again...ever, to make a raid progress.
    spend time and money for nothing. Also no content updates since 2011, but anyway each patch was just new boss skins. GW2 became as a fresh air! Really great game! Beautiful, big and deep. I just relax and enjoy playing
    Really GW2 feels like a MMO. In GW2
    finally you see other people in the world who help you to make dynamic events for example, in wow (during leveling) you play almost solo. Expand
  88. Sep 13, 2012
    Fantastic game, closest mmo to "perfect" I've seen since wow, Plus, with no sub fee, you don't feel pressured to play to get your moneys-worth out of it, staggeringly good PvE exploration and WvW is fantastic.
  89. Sep 12, 2012
    Awesome, in a single word best describes my experience thus far with Guild Wars 2. After sinking over 100 hours in the game, achieving level 60, rank 5 in structured PvP, and battling it out in World vs World (where I spend the majority of my time) I still cannot find enough time to play this game. I write you this review only because I am stuck at work and cannot log in from here ;)

I
    wanted this game to be my PvP game as the first Guild Wars had a reputation for it. I wanted something to replace WoW's PvP for me. I played WoW for both 3v3 arena and rated battlegrounds which I achieved 2750 an 2450 ratings respectively. I wanted a game that rewards skill and strategy and not time spent playing and I believe GW2 does just that. This is a game about positioning and coordinated execution. There exists "Combo Fields" and "Combo Finishers" in which any Combo Finisher that interacts with a Combo Field gains additional power. This system of synergy allows coordination to rein king. Structured PvP is interesting because the moment you step into the structured PvP zone your character reaches maximum power equal with all others. If you think you see an overpowered combination you can quickly and easily copy their setup to see for yourself. The competitive mode is 5v5 on a 3 node king of the hill map, a standard configuration. I haven't quite figured out all of the mechanics of all the classes so I cannot really comment on balance but it feels good so far. Each class is very customizable almost to the point of being overly complex. Of your 10 abilities half of your abilities depend on the weapon(s) you are wielding while the other 5 are selected from a pool of skills depending on your class and then there are additional traits that affect you in various ways. However, World vs World PvP is where you'll most likely find me. Defending and laying siege to towers, forts, and even castles. Huge battles with over 100 strong on both sides. Your entire server is your team and you are against 2 other servers in a battle to control the most territory--to get the biggest slice of the pie. Periodically the servers get mixed up and paired based on your servers performance. Right now things are a little dicey in WvW due to all the mixing currently. Sometimes one server greatly overpowers another but with the mixing and match-rating it will inevitably create a better experience as time goes on. But now for the bad news! As much as I love this game it does have some technical problems. I have a Crossfire video card configuration but I am not able to make any use of my 2nd card. Some areas in the game drop my FPS while others are brilliantly smooth. The queue times for World vs World were initially exceeding 2 hours! The queues have come down since then. This game definitely has some growing pains but Arenanet seems dedicated to fixing it. They patch the game every single night. I remain hopeful that they will iron out these issues but I am still having a blast regardless. Expand
  90. Sep 12, 2012
    This is the first game ever, in which I genuinely have had a great, fun time playing. I am not forced to grind or to do anything that makes the game feel like a chore. Playing with friends who've just got the game is not a burden (content scales!) and best of all, there's no subscription fee.
  91. Sep 12, 2012
    There are a lot of people throwing poor reviews at this game to be edgy, and it's pretty unfair. I've played dozens of MMOs, from launch, including WoW, Warhammer, City of Heroes/Villains, Rift, UO, EQ, Champions Online, SWTOR, Asheron's Call 1 & 2, and countless others. This game is better than the best parts of all of them. It polishes every mechanic, every zone, every experience to a brilliant gleaming shine. I didn't raid more than 3-4 nights, total, in the 5+ years I played WoW, through every expansion up to a month after Cataclysm's launch. I'm a PvPer at heart, and become bored if the combat is in any way unresponsive (Warhammer, Rift, SWTOR, Champions Online, etc) or if the game itself can't compel me to reach maximum level.

This game has me enjoying leveling so much that I'm not quite maximum level yet, simply enjoying the process. I hate leveling. And I love leveling in Guild Wars 2. It's incredible. I've barely scratched World versus World and structured PvP, and those are my main goals in the long term. On top of that, the combat is responsive and unique, requiring awareness of what's going on outside your UI. There are no enemy cast bars. There is no "healer" or "tank" class, every class can do a bit of everything in different ways.

The game world is gorgeous, the character customization is extensive, the content is refreshing and avoids being monotonous. This is the best MMO I've ever played, not because its predecessors were terrible, but because it learned from everything they did and avoided every mistake, while approaching each part of an MMORPG from a new, creative angle. I give this 10/10 without hesitation after just over two weeks of playing, over a hundred hours in total.
  92. Sep 12, 2012
    Hands down the greatest game I've ever played, and I have close to a thousand titles under my belt. Not sure why, but the critic score is lower than I expected...
  93. Sep 12, 2012
    First of all, my playstyle is hardcore and I have a lot of MMO experience.

I have been playing MMO's for almost 10 years starting with the release of Shadowbane. I have subscribed to roughly 8 different MMO's during that time-frame, BETA tested another 10 or so, and I am not afraid to admit that World of Warcraft was my previous favorite MMO.

but now...Guild Wars 2 has easily taken
    the throne as my #1 favorite MMO of all time. Despite minor issues at launch which in no way affected my ability to login, level up and actually play the game, this game is nothing short of amazing. There is just so much detail and depth, all while offering players the ability to play hardcore or casual... with no monthly fee. You can login for an hour or two and walk away feeling accomplished.

The crafting system is a blast. The learning curve for playing classes can be steep, but only if you want it to be. There is no longer a need to grind for gear or farm for reputation. If you have a steady job, you can be just as good in game as your jobless friends. There is no need to set aside two nights a week for raiding or collecting the materials beforehand. No need to avoid playing with other players that might take your loot. No longer do players have to ask for a gear score or look you up on armory before doing a dungeon. They have almost completely eliminated the whole standing around for 30minutes looking for a healer or a tank fiasco. Finally, this game is based on skill. It's not about who has no life and the ability to invest the most time. It's a game where you can login, hit level 2, and go straight into PVP and be on almost even grounds, only skill will determine how well you do.

ALL of the things that were (mostly) dreadful in previous MMOs, have been made (mostly) enjoyable in Guild Wars 2. Huge thanks go out to ArenaNet. I disliked Guild Wars 1 but this game is totally different and phenomenal. There is absolutely no reason that anyone should even consider continuing to pay and play World of Warcraft or any other MMO for that matter unless you dislike the fantasy genre all together... in which case, the fact that you're reading this would suggest otherwise.

I give it a 96/100
    There is always room for improvement.
  94. Sep 12, 2012
    It's the first time in many years I had that much fun playing a video game! It's not that new, but it's so refreshing! With all the dynamic events, the view points that requires some jumping here and there, points of interests, crafting and gathering. Everything is fun and worth doing in any zones! You always get xp and challenge! It's always different.
    Best game for me in the 5 years
  95. Sep 12, 2012
    This game offers much to players starved for change and innovation, while still giving the great feeling of progression and reward MMORPGs strive to give. Players are naturally encouraged to play together thanks to systems they have in place, and are all rewarded equally for things they participate in, whether that be quests or simply kills. Rewards also scale to your level, and your level scales to the difficulty of the event. The event itself scales in difficulty to the number of people currently partaking in it. Guild system is great, providing cool things like Guild Emblem armor, or banners for forts in WvWvW, the multi-server persistent siege-warfare pvp battlefield. that being said, once you hit max level, the game returns to feeling like a grind as you try to obtain all the best gear, but it still provides a fresh experience in doing so thanks to the innovative gameplay. There were some bugs on release, but most have been dealt with in a timely manner. Its a great game guys, try it out. Expand
  96. Sep 12, 2012
    Overall a great game! I made a YouTube video on it's gameplay and what's so great about it. Make sure to check it out.
  97. Sep 12, 2012
    I'm in Love with this game, specially using my eyefinity setup also its pay to play n such amazing graphics at every zone,what else can i ask for ? :]
  98. Sep 12, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is fun. However...
    If you rush to max level (PvE only) thinking that's where the "fun" starts, then you may hate this game.
    There is no rush, there is no endgame. There is no monthly fee.
    The game is like Skyrim, by that I mean the journey is the fun, not the ending.
    Or it's like a good book. What? I will try to explain. The best books can't be opened to the last chapter
    and enjoyed. It's the journey and the experience to get to the end that is entertaining. Same with GW2.

Play it, don't rush and enjoy the journey, not the ending.

Don't like to read? OK
    Do you like to have sex? It's not the squirt at the end that makes it fun, it's getting there and everything in between that's the fun. The squirt is just the ending.
    PvP is flat out fun. No uber gear to pwn nubs. All are equal. It's all how you play.

There are issues but what massive mmo does not have those.
    Anet is working to fix the issues and doing a fine job so far (15 days from launch and there is a patch every day)

For a flat fee and a game that can entertain for years, this is one bad ass game!
  99. Sep 11, 2012
    This MMO is amazing. It does ape so many of the mechanics that make MMOs great (and, yes, if you're sole intention is to level up you will certainly be grinding), but it's ambitious in so many ways. Events are dynamic, so in just roaming the country side you'll find yourself joining in on dynamic world events, harvesting resources to craft weapons, armor, and jewelery or even just traveling to all sites marked on world map for the completionist players. I must say, however, that the greatest thing about it is the Black Lion Trading company, GW2's online market. Ever get tired of storing stuff in your inventory just to sell them back in town? Right click on your inventory objects and sell them right away on Black Lion - you'll get money for them later when people buy what you posted. So awesome. Tired of grinding for gold to buy armor on Black Lion? If you're like me, paypaling ten dollars is definitely the way to go - the gold I got in return was more than enough to amp up my character and still have plenty left over for my character bank account. I'm on level 45 so far and GW2 remains one of my favorite games this year. GW2 is a triumph of the genre and you're missing out if you don't pick it up. Expand
  100. Sep 11, 2012
    Amazing Game, unlike any other mmo when it come to leveling.
    Experience is gained from almost doing anything, from crafting to exploring and all things in between.
    There is something for every type of player, no need to play 500 hours to feel your character is getting some wear.

Anet's very strict enforcement of the rules is making the play experience that much better, I am sure many
    casual players are familiar with the "rage" that follows when 1 mistake is made.
    NO such thing in Guild Wars 2, unlike some other MMO's where abuse of fellow players is ignored
    Suspensions and bans are handed out to the abusive players.

No need to be afraid to try something new because you don't know if some other player is going to start harassing you for not knowing how to play your first time.

2. Jan 2, 2013