• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. Jul 26, 2014
    Wow. This game is something else it really is. I hate all bulky cartoonish WOW looking games and this game proves that a great game can look as good as its controls and feels as a great experience that you never want it to end. I have loof the Final Fantasy series, I have played all American titles from 1 to 14 but the mmos are very disappointing, I tried to love them as much as the single player games but its just not the same. I wish they could of succeed in convincing me but they suck. Guild Wars 2 is everything I wish Final fantasy 11 & 14 could of been and it does truly take it to another different Tier from its predecessor, guess what no monthly dues, even better worth every dime. Total hours played 200 Expand
  2. Jul 11, 2014
    The best game ever created. After logging about 700 hours into the game, I decided that it was time to create a metacritic account and write my review. The game play is fantastic and has had me hooked for 2 years now. I personally love the graphics and the cartoony-ish feel of the game, although I know a lot of people don't. The community is amazing. Everyone is very friendly and helpful, and I love talking to my fellow players. Same goes for the staff. I've only had one problem with the game (which was my fault) and they addressed it and took care of it immediately for me. The map is great as well. Tyria is very large and beautiful, with much to explore and many different events to take part in, such as fighting dragons. I'll admit that the story can be lacking at times, but I still found it very enjoyable. And it's not a big deal, since there is still so much more to do in the game. I know people that play countless hours every day and still haven't even started the campaign yet. PvP is also great, it's a simple "capture the points and kill each other mode" which I have found to be very enjoyable. And the best part about this game: It is constantly being updated. Every two weeks Arenanet comes out with a massive amount of free content that keeps me coming back every day. Overall, this game is incredible, and I would recommend it to anybody and everybody. Expand
  3. Jul 8, 2014
    Very beautiful game.
    Wonderful areas, great story and a very interesting mass pvp.
    Seeing the latest MMOs like TESO or Wildstar, it's still the best on the market.
  4. Jun 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Лучшая РПГ ММО на данный момент. Бесплатные обновления и никакого заплатил и победил. Спасибо Аренанет Expand
  5. Jun 10, 2014
    Hello i got around 3k hours of game time in gw2 and i pretty much played the **** out of it ^^ , and the first thing i got to say is that for a game you buy once without a sub this is the best investment i had in my 10+ years of playing mmos.
    Now i wont say this game is perfect , if it was i would still be playing in it , it has a barriar on the pve content which u get to pretty fast if
    u invest many hours in pve and the goals in pve after that aint to fun , farming for gold / skins . They also got the living story which was pretty much a fail so far altough i sure they did learn alot from it and season 2 will must likely be better.
    Now about the PvP , sadly WvW supports heavly on zerging around in one big group a thing they really need to work on and the structured pvp well i not much of a pvp person but i think they did improve it alot in the past years.
    The last thing is the gem store since the game has to make cash some how it turned to its virtual shop and thats pretty much the reason why season 1 pve content was pretty lame and evolved around new skins ( actully i can somehow compare it to diablo 3 auction house ^^ ) but Anet did say they dont want to have the gear grind of other mmo's... well ill just leave it as it is ^^.
    Anyhow now into a more optimistic approch ^^ i did spend alot of time in this game and thats because i played with friends and well i just loved the gameplay in this game , the classes feel pretty much uniqe and while playing with friends and swaping around the classes i could play pve content over and over again without getting bored for quite a long time.
    So in conclusion this game has its flaws but u cant have all in a game u pay for only once, but overall this game very much worth the one time buy investment.
  6. Jun 5, 2014
    today guild wars 2 is the best mmorpg game. no doubt. if you looking for great mmorpg game go and play this dont waste your time by reading this. guild wars 2 forever!
  7. Jun 4, 2014
    The game is amazingly beautiful and HUGE. There is so much to explore and play through. Well worth the money, especially when you find it on sale. There is stuff for both the hardcore and casual gamers.
  8. Jun 4, 2014
    Pretty fun game, especially with friends to play it (like all MMO's duh..)
    Imo for now the best MMO around especially considered price/content level and quantity.
    Found the story entertaining, but for a deep understanding you need to know the lore of the first game too.
    The world is new and keeps evolving, the quality of the updated wasn't top notch at first, but it's steadily growing
    as the game get "experience".
    Not a game for gear grinders nor people that want a set "goal", you play gw2 because you like the lore, the roleplay, having fun with friends and helping others.
    It still need many improvements like for pvp modes and maps (they're starting with them recently), update's structure and some more feature wich were announced at launch yet had to be took down for fixing and polishing (some of them just returned recently) .
    This game deserves an 8 or 9 imo, yet i'm giving it 10 for the potential that is shows and that it's gradually being expressed and for the nice community that manage it (sometimes they're too kind, especially with bosses etc but it have it's hard content too)
    If you wish to buy it, do so when there's some discount...the price is pretty honest and it's permanent..i mean, you might just wanna buy it for later of play it for a while and then return, the game will always be there for you :D
    Moreover season 2 of the living story is about to start, it seems promising and fun...let's hope for the best :)
  9. Jun 1, 2014
    I initially doubted between a 9 and a 10, but since there are no perfect games it'll have to do with a 9. This is probably the best MMO I ever played. Graphics and Sound are really great but game-play and game mechanics really take the crown. Casual friendly, no real gear grind (except if you want a legendary weapon), the perfect MMO to just go and have fun with. It might not meet the expectations of some hardcore gamers that expect the on-line world to bow down to them because they have nothing better to do than play a game all day long. However the vast majority of people playing this game all agree on one thing: this game is one of best, if not the best, MMO ever. The Living Story has been a bit disappointing at times, but bringing out biweekly patches and content updates is no small feat, they should have gone for more permanent content from the beginning. Still, it's been out for almost two years now and nothing else even come close, that's saying something. Expand
  10. May 1, 2014
    Beautifull setting, playing guild wars 2 was one of the best things i've ever played, it goes further than WoW or any other big MMORpg, first of all the price is accesible to anyone without monthly subscription, the gold - Gems market is a beautifull idea, and also the game has no restriction whatsoever it's been one of the best MMORpg without a doubt
  11. Apr 5, 2014
    16 months and 3000 ours spent: this is still the best MMORPG on the market and this year, with more competition, it's really going to stand out.

Putting 10/10 in an effort to slow down haters and people who clearly didn't play it :P
  12. Mar 23, 2014
    This is an awesome piece of art, where great developers gave us something that's worth much more appreciation than it has, the combat is great, the end game is awesome and probably the only MMO with a good end-game that i've played, unlike many others that wait some months in hope people milk their pockets.

Dungeons, Fractals, WvW, Map Exploration, Jumping Puzzles, World Bosses such as
    Dragons and more.

PvP however could get some love as there's only one mode and few maps.

Then there's a lot of armor variations which in most games everyone looks like each other.

I also miss Crowd Pavillion which was the biggest challenge i had in the game, took me 20 tries to get the Mini (Liadri) which is a lot.

I also don't like thet they put a lot of temporary content, it would be OK if the content was Festive Content such as Halloween content and Christmas content, sadly if there's new items in specific Living Stories and i'm not available to play the game at that time i'll never have the chance to get it again.

I couldn't play the game during Christmas and Halloweens, also Missed Super Adv box and others.

Either way despite all these things it's still the MMO that gives me the most fun, i'm not gonna mention other MMOs for obvious reasons (such as looking like i'm favoring one over the other), to each own their taste, to me GW2 is still the best in the past 2 Years, i like fast paced combat and lots of stuff to do when i hit max level, and GW2 has it all.
  13. Mar 18, 2014
    As a massive fan of MMORPG's, I can finally say I've finally found the MMORPG for me. First off, no monthly subscriptions, I buy it and it's all mine ! And as well, the content, wow. The amount of content on this game is never-ending and it's all for £30 ! (Even bigger than WOW, Skyrim and Oblivion) I've played this game for months on end and still haven't seen every piece this game has to offer. The amount of ontent is just unreal.Every player has their own unique storyline so it's different everytime you play the game, unlike a lot of MMORPG's out there and it's all for £30 ! The music and voice acting is outstanding and above all probably the best out of all the games I've played and it's all for £30 !
    Hey, did I mention all this is for £30 ! This isn't even close to summarising how intense this game is, I just wanna go back to playing it right now cause it's so good ! Playing Guild Wars 2, I can never go back to another MMORPG with monthly subscirptions ever again. It's like ESO, I'll still be playing GW2 FREE OF MONTHLY SUBSCIPTIONS ! GUILD WARS 2 IS THE GOD DAMN **** GAME CHANGER FOR MMORPGS! And I sincerely hope game dev companies planning on making MMOs learn from this.
  14. Mar 16, 2014
    I will start off by saying that I have put in well over 500 hours of game play in Guild Wars 2!
    This is overall an excellent game!
    The combat system in the game is excellent with the combat dodges, weapon based abilities and combo abilities!
    The first time going through the game and leveling up is the most fun you will ever have in an MMO, there is 0 grind involved in leveling up in
    fact, if you choose not to do the quests in the mainland you can choose to level up by playing the world Vs word if it more suits your style.
    Each dungeon in the game is very fun and different from one another with multiple paths, a story mode and unique boss fights!
    Also, there is a PvP arena which uses seperate gear from the mainand. You unlock new weapon skins and finishers by leveling up here, which gives a great incentive for many players to participate.

However, I do remove 1 point from a perfect 10/10 score for three reasons.

1. There is not much to do in the "endgame" once you have acquired the best gear in the game
    2. The content added to the game does not interest me much. A good majority of the content is called "living story" which is basically just a one time boss fight, which usually has it's bugs on release and generally ruins the overall experience of the content.
    3. The World vs World PvP in this game, despite being an amazing experience for the first few weeks you play the game, can get boring rather quickly because of the concept. This is largely due to the way that it is played, which is zerg vs zerg combat and the bigger zerg wins.
  15. Feb 25, 2014
    Pretty amazing MMO to say the least. Beautiful world and very engaging. Leveling the character was enjoyable! As you level the game engages the player by telling a story and continues as you level. Along with the story, zones have "events" or aka quests that players can take part in and help out npc's earning xp and karma (form of currency). Plenty of dungeons to enjoy once at a certain level but once you are capped at 80 you can go back and try "explore" mode which provides a higher difficulty.

PvP and WvW content plenty of action to take part in.

Crafting professions were well done.
  16. EMG
    Feb 25, 2014
    By far the best MMO I have ever have the joy of playing, Guild Wars 2 never fails to impress whether your fighting a world boss, going on a raid with 50 or so other players, exploring the vast detailed polished world of Tyria or even the very well made and addicting WVW/PVP game play which adds the competitive play to GW2. All in all the game feels smooth and easy to get used to while also taking skill and patience in other areas of the game at later levels. The constant monthly living world updates also leave more to do after the end game or reaching the final level. 10/10 Expand
  17. Feb 24, 2014
    Очень хорошая игра, если вам надоели бесконечные квесты варкрафта, незаурядное вырезание пяти тысяч монстров в л2 - это ира для вас. Отличная графика, хорошая физика, интересная история у каждой расы, осады в режиме пвп, открытые ворлд боссы, тысячи рандомных событий в мире и многое другое. 9 из 10. Поставил бы десятку, но для меня шалит пинг на Eu регионе, ну и нет ру-локалицазии :)
  18. Feb 24, 2014
    Even though I no longer play Guild Wars 2, I still think it probably is the best MMORPG currently on the market. The developers got many things very much right and some of the mechanics are spot on. I spent very long time in this game, levelled one character to the max. level and explored a significant part of the world. The graphics look very nice, the combat system is extraordinarily good for an MMO, crafting works pretty well, exploration is by far the best in the MMO genre and there is even a decent story telling. There is no monthly fee, yet the game is updated quite often. The atmosphere is mostly fine. If you play as a human that is. The other races have far less immersive setting in the starting areas. Some of the class quest suffered of bugs after release. Overall however, this game is outstandingly good. Expand
  19. Feb 23, 2014
    This game is as a welcomed change from all the other MMORPGs on the market. It's not like LOTRO where you have to pay for any kind of additional content (you can buy cosmetics as stuff like that, but that won't give you an advantage over other players). It will completely change your view on all MMORPGS and they bring out new content every two weeks which is amazing since you don't pay a monthly subscription.
    Overall it's a great game where you get an unbelievable amount of content for your money.
  20. Feb 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Better than TOR, The Secret World, and TERA, all things considered.
    I've been purchasing every major MMO release this year and have left extremely disappointed each time. I would log in, see "kill X and Y", do the standard number mashing combat that you find in every MMO, and end up unsubscribing. I did try to give these games my all and see if I could break past the tedium, but I could not.
  21. Jan 24, 2014
    This is the only MMO I still enjoy after 3000 hours. I've done all the content, built a 300-adult superguild, made legendaries, full top-tier everything, a 600gold emperor title just for fun... And there's STILL STUFF COMING OUT! Sometimes the living story gets kinda boring but this is definitely redefining what good MMO's require. Kudos arenanet.
  22. Jan 21, 2014
    Absolutely incredible. I'm not an MMO guy at all, really. I played WoW, Aion, ERA, The Secret World, SWTOR, all of the cheesy stuff put out by the P2W item mall companies, and this game had something the others did not. It was different. Very different in its presentation. It was gorgeous like TERA, but the
    combat was a little more challenging because you couldn't dodge as much as you
    wanted. It finally did away with standards set by WoW. There were more options in ways to level, it let newbies PvP as soon as they wanted, and best of all every class could play any role in their own unique ways. That sort of This game is the only reason I do not hate every MMO. Literally, this degree of flexibility is unprecedented in the genre, except maybe by SWG, though I never got to play it.

Being a relatively shy player, getting into a party was a pain in the average MMO, and it was a requirement to progress most of the time since dungeons/raiding is a staple in many if not all MMOs. Which is sad, because the alternative staple is to grind away at generic quests. TERA said its quests would be different, the devs lied. GW2 said it'd be different and they delivered. Sure you could kill stuff most of the time to do quests, but you had other avenues to progress through your quests. The alternate ways to complete quests were often reasonable and creative. Anyway, I digressed, but the dynamic party system is fantastic and puts an end to the kill-stealing of mobs by other players in some of the genre's other games.

The game may be a little P2W, but it is only technically so. You can convert the item mall and in-game currency between each other, allowing paying players to buy in-game items with essentially purchase gold. It's likely a glaring issue to many players, but it doesn't affect PvP or World vs World vs World in meaningful ways, and it doesn't affect the small-scale PvP at all as it uses its own special set of gear in place of your normal gear. In World vs World vs World stats aren't as noticeable because everyone is level 80 while there. Bought gear gives an advantage, but in the midst of 50+ vs 50+ battle, these advantages play a negligible role, which shows when you look at the WvWvW leaderboards. They are usually very close.

I think sour players dislike the game for the wrong reasons. Maybe it's because it isn't a clone of GW? Or WoW? I think they are a minority. I think most people dislike this game because they saw currency conversion and looked no further before quitting/brushing the game off. Maybe they didn't like how they didn't have 100+ skills littering their screen to distract them from the game's beauty. Or how you could join as many guilds as you wanted, but could only represent one at a time. There's also the 'level grind' that doesn't exist. I level fast. I went up twenty levels in a day with WvWvW. The XP rewards scale.

The only downside to this game is the currency conversion. Yes I know I shrugged at it earlier, but for people who gauge success by level(which hardly applies to GW2 outside of gear aesthetic), it can be lame. You can use gems to get gold to get crafting materials, and use the crafting system to max a character and a buy a set of max gear. As far as player interaction goes, this matters very little, as explained earlier.

Kudos to Arena Net/NCSoft for having the courage to take risks and execute them well. May they carry this innovative philosophy on to other games they produce.
  23. Jan 17, 2014
    Guild Wars 2 is the MMO that has been awaited for years. With an enormous amount of content, diverse quests, and an overall enhancing experience, Guild Wars 2 is a spectacle. The personal story is only average, but it isn't what the game is about. This MMO is a milestone for the genre; an achievement for the year, if not the decade.
  24. Jan 10, 2014
    Before 2011 i was not a fan of MMORPGS. I liked my ARPGS like Diablo 2 Diablo Itself. It was World of Warcraft that i originally purchased subscribed and played my be for a month. My initial experience with MMOs was not what i expected and i hated WOW. I knew about Original Guild Wars from a friend but never got around to play it because Arenanet had announced Guild Wars 2. Purchased the Game on its release date and started to play. The immediate Impact of the presentation was overwhelming. It is an absolute achievement to have graphics and art blending seamlessly to produce such beautiful and memorable environments. Events happening left right and centre with regularity. There was always something to do. But although Graphics were awesome they also taxed my machine to the max for getting reasonable game play. This fact did put me off and i decided to go back to SWTOR. In December 2012 i played solely SWTOR for well over 18 months Just because of loyalty to Star wars Universe. During this time Guild Wars 2 Struggled as well to keep the Numbers on there servers. Although i kept on coming back for more GW2 but performance of my Machine always made me return to less Graphic intensive Games on the time. It was June of 2013 when i decided to Quit SWTOR (because of Continuing disappointments with server mergers and poor repetitive content). Guild wars 2 this time practically blew me away it was more polished and keeping it going without a subscription is in fact an achievement. Thus far i have created 3 level 80 characters and spent Countless hours in various areas of the game.

PVE:
    Story : Guildwars 2 character story is probably its weakest point. but it does not bother me as it is the gameplay and MMO part that i am interested in. Story has it moments but largely i will not recommend purchasing the game based on that.

Character Classes : You have multiple options and multiple classes to play with 5 main races 8 main characters each character can than be customised with weapons and traits in various combinations to suit you play style. This combination is unique and strongest feat of GW 2 as there is infinite amount of customizing to max out your potential.

Grouping : LFG tool is still in beta but you can group up with people from your server or cross server. There is lots you can learn in these groups. Dungeons have Story Mode and Explorable Mode which opens up as you progress 3 paths. So essentially you can play the same dungeon in 4 different ways and each way is very different for the original. Guildwars 2 does follow the Holy Trinity (that is Each group has a Tank /dps / healer) It promotes experimentation.

In Game Events and Content Updates are very frequent. What WOW has achieved in almost 10 years of existence GW2 has managed to achieve in 18 months. Each Content update would probably a New Expansion for WOW. or a module worth so many dollars in other MMOs.

PVP: There is sPVP which puts you against other teams it is well balanced and quite rewarding for regular players.
    Gameplay mechanics are very fluid. All professions play differently so its matter of your practise and control.
    WVW where each week server population goes up against 2 other servers is another extremely strong and popular mode for GW 2. But it promotes Zerging (large number of people trying to achieve an objective) in the game
    Loot Recipes Gear is plentiful and you can do lots with it again in terms of improving your character and grinding for Legendary weapons. There are no shared loot drops so it prevents scavengers and ninja activity when it come to distribution.

If you are a regular MMORPG player i can safely recommend you GW2
    If you are new to MMOs i do suggest that GW2 will grow on you given enough time.
    Its a Masterpiece in terms of Gaming and currently the best MMORPG on the market.

Its Flaws High Graphics Requirement ( when buying please check your system can handle it well or not)
    Lack of Holy trinity can be troublesome for certain people. Not knowing ones role can be troublesome.
    Its game where exploration and experimentation will pay off and rewarded.
    Developers are not focused on just earning money. Quality of Content and being free was something unthinkable just a couple of years ago.
  25. Jan 9, 2014
    This game is still awesome with great graphics and great game play. The intuitive interface is still one of the best. The constant expansions, upgrades, updates etc... keep this game interesting. The satisfying feeling of discovering new areas and new things keeps coming all the time. After one year one notices the growth of the game to maturity. So with the rate te growth is going now, imagine what the game will be offering next year. Awesomeness I think all over again. The style of the graphics is catching and sucks one into the world of Guild Wars 2. Expand
  26. Jan 9, 2014
    Over my three accounts in this game, I have easily spent over 1,500 hours and I don't regret it a bit. This game is absolutely charming and wonderful.
  27. Dec 29, 2013
    This game sucked my life away, so many hour of my time have been put into this game. This game offers a plethora of replayability. There's the standard open world play and there's also personal stories. There are multiple races to chose from and customizable stories for each, ensuring a different play through each time.
    Teamwork is one of the biggest points in the game, most events cannot
    be completed without the help of other players. The use of guilds really brings this all together, the community's very tight knit and friendly making it very easy for beginners to hop in and learn. Expand
  28. Dec 8, 2013
    Fantastic visual look and music. A great atmosphere and feel as you are introduced to the game. Quests well done. The overall setup with the pvp and public events add a level of dynamics that are missing from some other MMOs today. I've been in the midst of trying many different games the past 6 months and this one was one of the best.
  29. Dec 2, 2013
    A great game, well deserved of the 10 points. It has gone through many changes since it first was launched and it is now more entriguing than ever before. Check it out.
  30. Nov 27, 2013
    Best mmorpg out there to date. Graphics are stellar the gameplay is smooth and entertaining the old boring questing system is done. There is 0 reasons to pay monthly for a game when something like this is out there.

2. Jan 2, 2013