• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. Dec 10, 2014
    The game worth its price tag and even more so when its on sale. It has altough many problems and i think it would have been better if it went for something like DLC content updates. But overall if its not worth 30$ ( since its on sale like 50% of the time ) then i dont know what is.
  2. Dec 2, 2014
    After about 2 years, this is my second review of this game, since I stopped playing GW2 for over a year and have started playing again recently. My score remains the same though, and here is why.

First off, regarding the negative reviews here - people are entitled to their opinion, and I would never criticize anyone for not liking this MMO because this game does not cater to everyone's tastes (but what game does, anyway...). But I would like to address a few points that were made:

- Not enough content: This often comes from players who have spent many hundred hours, some even over 1000 hours in the game. I would challenge anyone playing any game for such an extended period and still find it challenging, interesting, refreshing... there comes a point at which you will be finished with a game, and clearly some people have reached that point. I doubt they would have kept playing for this long if they hated it so much?

I'm maybe not your typical MMO player as I do tend to take things slowly, but just for comparison, I've played GW2 in total for around 450 hours now. I have 2 characters on lvl 80 plus some alts around lvl 55, and my main has just around 58% map completion. My other characters are hovering around the 25% mark. I know for myself that I will be striving for map completion on my main, but it's gonna take me a long time, and the one thing I can never complain about is lack of content. I do have a RL and I play a lot of other games, and if anything GW2 has too much content for me! I feel I'll never be able to see it all.

- Poor customer support: Some complaints were made about the lack of a phone number. Most gaming companies don't provide phone support, and for good reason, as it's often much easier to get customers to provide proper details in a written support ticket. ArenaNet do provide individual customer support, it's right there in their support section with an online ticket submit form. Their replies are prompt, professional and reasonable - we have had a support request which was dealt with in a more than satisfactory manner. I'm sure this was not just a lucky exception.

- GemStore: Yes ArenaNet promote spending money on the game. And yes, I have done so - I've bought bank slots, a character slot and a few other things I did not REALLY need. But, and it's a HUGE but - there is no subscription charge. Compared to other MMOs of equal quality, GW2 still works out much cheaper for me, without the choke of a subscription around my neck. Anyone expecting free content updates forever either doesn't respect the right of developers to gain an income for their hard work, or has no idea about financial realities in the business world.

I won't repeat what I wrote in my first review, because none of my old opinions have changed much. But I have to say that if anything, the game has become even better and richer since back then. The new meta-servers did introduce some lag issues but more recently, I have not encountered any lag any more. Whatever the cause was, it has been worked on. The meta-servers did enrich gameplay though, as you always will find people playing near you, and the game mechanics are such that this enhances your experience massively. You are encouraged to help each other all the time, and this leads to a very pleasant user community with practically zero toxicity - compare that to LoL if you wish!

TL;DR: After over 2 years and a long break, I'm still having a ton of fun in GW2 and I know I will enjoy this game for a long time to come. It's a cracker, and quite unique in the MMO market due to some revolutionary gameplay concepts. It may not appeal to everybody, but its production values and gorgeous scenery and art direction are undeniably there and speak for themselves.
  3. Nov 24, 2014
    Overall one of the more solid MMO's i have played.

positives: 1) good graphics 2) fluid combat. 3) events are fun 4) plenty of end game content 5) up front cost then f2p...and f2p to the extent that all the people who poor massive amounts of money into the game don't have a massive advantage over those that don't. 6) free update content. i don't have to pay for my
    Overall one of the more solid MMO's i have played.

positives:

1) good graphics

2) fluid combat.

3) events are fun

4) plenty of end game content

6) free update content. i don't have to pay for my expansions they are just provided (though the expansions should not be compared to WoW).

negatives:

1) it is an MMO and it doesn't shy away from grinding, but in ways this is inherent to all MMO's

2) the story is blah. though i should say the personal story/main story in blah. the living/seasons story is much better though still not extraordinary, i have to remind myself though that this is an MMO.
  4. Sep 27, 2014
    Probably the most creative mmorpg at the moment.It's obvious that GW2 is tried to make a different mmorpg than the others.Combat system ,levelling system(you can level up by just crafting),events,story,graphics,exploring,PVE,dynamic content and No subscribtion everything is just great and well prepared.
  5. Sep 24, 2014
    Better than Archepay, The Secret World, and TERA, all things considered.
    Better than Archepay, The Secret World, and TERA, all things considered.
    I've been purchasing every major MMO release this year and have left extremely disappointed each time. I would log in, see "kill X and Y", do the standard number mashing combat that you find in every MMO, and end up unsubscribing. I did try to give these games my all and see if I could break past the tedium, but I could not.

#GW2masterrace
  6. Sep 17, 2014
    Probably the best fantasy MMORPG at the moment. Very robust, well designed and bug free. Full of events and dynamic content. Frequent free content expansions. Great community. Lots and lots of end game content.

I miss being able to select skills freely. The system where you have a fixed set of skills depending on what weapon you wield is boring imho. But you have other ways to create a "build", and even if the game is designed to suit casual players, it is also possible to spend a lot of time perfecting your gear, skills and strategy if you want.

The economy is just like any standard MMO. It is mostly NPC based, and crafting is pretty useless. All good gear comes from grinding boss mobs, dungeons, events or the mystic forge.

A really good feature for casual players is the level equalization. The level difference between you and your friends does not matter very much. You can still play together and get roughly the same challenge and rewards fitting your respective levels.
  7. Sep 11, 2014
    I am changing my original score for an up to date score. I have put in over 1500 hours into this game which is the most time I have ever invested in a mmorpg so I think GW2 deserves a really really good score.
    Some Good Points
    Some Good Points
    Beautiful graphics Good character creation, the ability to change your character hairstyles and other cosmetic stuff can be bought from cash shop which is ok by me.

Interesting and alive world with funny NPC's having funny conversations.
    Achievements are fun and rewarding.

Lovely and feminine armours. Being able to dye my armours is such a bonus and the new system of once you buy an armour that skin is unlocked for all your characters is really fantastic! BEST THING EVER!! Of course you have to buy the transmutation token things to change your skins but again I can live with that!
    Armours are made from different fabrics which show colours differently when they are dyed. Such great attention to detail from the artists in this game. There are hundreds of dyes to unlock and they are cheap and easy to obtain and are unlocked account wide. Each dye looks slightly different based on what material your armour is made from. It gives you the opportunity for a lot of experimenting with colours and fabrics and each armour can look so different depending on the colours you use. I have never seen an mmo use this system- it is fantastic!!!

The open world events are a great way to level up collect loot. Your character feels really powerful when you are levelling, I love that and I love some of the fun skills you have with each class. Like electricity for mage, bombs for engineer, cutie pie pets for ranger, Mesmers and their mirror images and the love hearts and pink effects everywhere, a girl gamers paradise!

You are not limited by your level in open world questing. I like the way the achievements work and the chests of reward everything so often.
    Crafting is nice and easy and levels well. It’s great to craft stuff to gear up my own character with and sell too.

Map Exploration is a lot of fun with events and loot. Anet seems to be on the ball with updates and improvements, new armours and weapon skins.

The Not So Good

The story in this game is pretty meh, not much excitement level. For each character I created I played the story up to about level 60 just for the odd chest key you sometimes get as a reward. I never got the chance to finish my personal story as for the very last story you need a well trained and equipped group. We tried one night and wiped out so badly, my husband and I decided to watch the ending on YouTube. I'm not sure having a storyline that you can play solo all the way to 80 and then forcing you into a group suddenly is the way to go, at least not for me and my tastes.

The Bad

For me this would be the dungeons. As you level you get a series of invitations to go and do various story dungeons. The first arrives just before level 40 I believe. However if you make the mistake to pop along and join a dungeon using the dungeon finder you might find yourself at the mercy of dungeon elitists who will either see you there and leave the group, kick you out or politely tell you that the dungeons really are too difficult for low levels and to wait until you are level 80 and geared in exotic stuff. I actually did wait and ended up doing many dungeons with many types of players and some of whom were much lower level than 80 to find that yes, groups with lower level players would wipe and very often too. It would be disheartening and a struggle and unnecessarily stressful. It certainly makes me wonder why the dungeons are opened to low levels at all when they are exceedingly way too hard for all but the most experienced. Of course in my time learning the dungeons (a steep learning curve it is too for someone with mostly PVE background) I met many nasty, impatient, rude people who just wanted to rush through the content, skipping mobs and leaving the less experienced to die and respawn over and over or to be kicked out by other group members. Of course there are some SAINTS doing those dungeons who you might be lucky enough to get teamed with, but for every one of those there of plenty of the other type. Behaviour of players is obviously not strictly monitored or policed and you can really tell this in the course of a month of doing dungeons every day.

So for the more genteel, soft of heart or just light hearted players out there I would recommend giving that aspect of GW2 a miss.

Its got so much going for it though I would say buy this game and play it and enjoy the parts that make you happy. That's what I do.

(Anet I removed 1 point from your perfect score as the abuse and nastiness going on in the dungeons is really unpleasant)
  8. Aug 15, 2014
    Such a beautiful wonderful game. really funny and interesting concept. but there is something awful about this game (which cause me rage quit) its PvP. Pvp is as stupid as **** its not funny or entertaining. PvP in guild wars 2 is pain the ass. and i just left gw2 behind because this pvp. otherwise what a awesome game. thank you arenanet. i hope i can see guild wars 3 in the future.
  9. Aug 5, 2014
    Awesome game, everything is great until you will do everything. Endgame almost isn't existing. Stopped playing this regularly year ago after 1500 hours and completing all my tasks - get nice looking armor, legendary weapon and all achievements from pve. PvP as for me is boring, only edge of the mists give some fun but how long you can do one and the same thing over and over. There was noAwesome game, everything is great until you will do everything. Endgame almost isn't existing. Stopped playing this regularly year ago after 1500 hours and completing all my tasks - get nice looking armor, legendary weapon and all achievements from pve. PvP as for me is boring, only edge of the mists give some fun but how long you can do one and the same thing over and over. There was no new content, maps and all that could force me to play more this game for long time. Lately Arena Net started to release updates regularly with more interesting story and permanent content to pve what brought me back to game. To play this you only need to pay for game and believe me, this is worth it. No subscription, not using gem shop will not make you looser. Just some skins and other things that no one really needs. There is a lot of content to do. If you care about content to price value go ahead and play this. As new player you will be overwhelmed by content Expand
  10. Jul 30, 2014
    This mmo like many others was a gem in its beginnings and overtime depreciated into something less. Even so for a buy once play forever game the story and exploration alone are worth it even if most the zones are rectangles.

Like the original guild wars progressing through the story is the high point of the game; with exploration as a cherry on top. Like the original guild wars the end game is limited. The original guild wars definitely had worthy end game content. The end game in guild wars 2 is an abomination of desolation. It wasn't always that way but that is what it evolved into.

Where guild wars 2 diverted from the original guild wars formula was the introduction of purple text gear. This changed the game from one where you mixed and matched your wardrobe of orange text gear gained from crafting, dungeons, and events with your skill sets on your character class to tailor stats and skills to whatever you feel like running on a given day: From this to a stat grind for the sole sake of grinding stats to gain coveted purple text items to sanctify your character with a stat advantage and no more.

The introduction of WvW levels added more grind for the sake of leveling siege weapons. This in turn made WvW itself a grind rather than a grand strategy operation where farming WvW levels 'made' WvW relevant. But the siege weapons your are grinding to level are press 1 release 1 static turrets that are boring to operate. There isn't much dynamism to siege weapon operation and you can't aim and calibrate said siege weapon and put an npc on it then run into the fray sword swinging and you never could.

Dungeons are the birth and monstrosity of filth, crap, and fire. No healing class or even healing sub class means that healing is supplemented by down state rez chains which themselves function as healing. Fortunately most dungeons weren't mandatory and presently it may also be the case that no dungeons are mandatory so if you want to run a dungeon or a raid you can do so in the umpteen other mmos.

The arena pvp was pretty bad the last time I played for a lengthy period of time mostly due to reprobate players. There was a good game here or there. This has been addressed to some degree with private arenas for the reprobates to conglomerate into so they don't degrade public arenas. My personal focus was on WvW however since it was unique to GW2 and arena combat is pretty standard.

Overall GW2 is one of the best mmos. It could have been better with expansions, new classes, new class skills and class skill lines, reformed WvW to a higher degree than erasing lakes and outcroppings that never should have existed to being with. But it seems the story of present mmos is one of fixing the negativity that never should have been rather than adding positivity in the form of the things mentioned in the first sentence of this paragraph. Even so GW2 is an excellent time sink; one of the best time sink/money mmos ever and at the end of the day that is what you look for in an mmo.
  11. Jul 26, 2014
    Wow. This game is something else it really is. I hate all bulky cartoonish WOW looking games and this game proves that a great game can look as good as its controls and feels as a great experience that you never want it to end. I have loof the Final Fantasy series, I have played all American titles from 1 to 14 but the mmos are very disappointing, I tried to love them as much as the singleWow. This game is something else it really is. I hate all bulky cartoonish WOW looking games and this game proves that a great game can look as good as its controls and feels as a great experience that you never want it to end. I have loof the Final Fantasy series, I have played all American titles from 1 to 14 but the mmos are very disappointing, I tried to love them as much as the single player games but its just not the same. I wish they could of succeed in convincing me but they suck. Guild Wars 2 is everything I wish Final fantasy 11 & 14 could of been and it does truly take it to another different Tier from its predecessor, guess what no monthly dues, even better worth every dime. Total hours played 200 Expand
  12. Jul 11, 2014
    The best game ever created. After logging about 700 hours into the game, I decided that it was time to create a metacritic account and write my review. The game play is fantastic and has had me hooked for 2 years now. I personally love the graphics and the cartoony-ish feel of the game, although I know a lot of people don't. The community is amazing. Everyone is very friendly and helpful,The best game ever created. After logging about 700 hours into the game, I decided that it was time to create a metacritic account and write my review. The game play is fantastic and has had me hooked for 2 years now. I personally love the graphics and the cartoony-ish feel of the game, although I know a lot of people don't. The community is amazing. Everyone is very friendly and helpful, and I love talking to my fellow players. Same goes for the staff. I've only had one problem with the game (which was my fault) and they addressed it and took care of it immediately for me. The map is great as well. Tyria is very large and beautiful, with much to explore and many different events to take part in, such as fighting dragons. I'll admit that the story can be lacking at times, but I still found it very enjoyable. And it's not a big deal, since there is still so much more to do in the game. I know people that play countless hours every day and still haven't even started the campaign yet. PvP is also great, it's a simple "capture the points and kill each other mode" which I have found to be very enjoyable. And the best part about this game: It is constantly being updated. Every two weeks Arenanet comes out with a massive amount of free content that keeps me coming back every day. Overall, this game is incredible, and I would recommend it to anybody and everybody. Expand
  13. Jul 8, 2014
    Very beautiful game.
    Wonderful areas, great story and a very interesting mass pvp.
    Seeing the latest MMOs like TESO or Wildstar, it's still the best on the market.
  14. Jun 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Лучшая РПГ ММО на данный момент. Бесплатные обновления и никакого заплатил и победил. Спасибо Аренанет Expand
  15. Jun 4, 2014
    The game is amazingly beautiful and HUGE. There is so much to explore and play through. Well worth the money, especially when you find it on sale. There is stuff for both the hardcore and casual gamers.
  16. Jun 4, 2014
    Pretty fun game, especially with friends to play it (like all MMO's duh..)
    Imo for now the best MMO around especially considered price/content level and quantity.
    Found the story entertaining, but for a deep understanding you need to know the lore of the first game too. The world is new and keeps evolving, the quality of the updated wasn't top notch at first, but it's steadily growing
    Pretty fun game, especially with friends to play it (like all MMO's duh..)
    The world is new and keeps evolving, the quality of the updated wasn't top notch at first, but it's steadily growing as the game get "experience".
    Not a game for gear grinders nor people that want a set "goal", you play gw2 because you like the lore, the roleplay, having fun with friends and helping others.
    It still need many improvements like for pvp modes and maps (they're starting with them recently), update's structure and some more feature wich were announced at launch yet had to be took down for fixing and polishing (some of them just returned recently) .
    This game deserves an 8 or 9 imo, yet i'm giving it 10 for the potential that is shows and that it's gradually being expressed and for the nice community that manage it (sometimes they're too kind, especially with bosses etc but it have it's hard content too)
    If you wish to buy it, do so when there's some discount...the price is pretty honest and it's permanent..i mean, you might just wanna buy it for later of play it for a while and then return, the game will always be there for you :D
    Moreover season 2 of the living story is about to start, it seems promising and fun...let's hope for the best :)
  17. Jun 1, 2014
    I initially doubted between a 9 and a 10, but since there are no perfect games it'll have to do with a 9. This is probably the best MMO I ever played. Graphics and Sound are really great but game-play and game mechanics really take the crown. Casual friendly, no real gear grind (except if you want a legendary weapon), the perfect MMO to just go and have fun with. It might not meet theI initially doubted between a 9 and a 10, but since there are no perfect games it'll have to do with a 9. This is probably the best MMO I ever played. Graphics and Sound are really great but game-play and game mechanics really take the crown. Casual friendly, no real gear grind (except if you want a legendary weapon), the perfect MMO to just go and have fun with. It might not meet the expectations of some hardcore gamers that expect the on-line world to bow down to them because they have nothing better to do than play a game all day long. However the vast majority of people playing this game all agree on one thing: this game is one of best, if not the best, MMO ever. The Living Story has been a bit disappointing at times, but bringing out biweekly patches and content updates is no small feat, they should have gone for more permanent content from the beginning. Still, it's been out for almost two years now and nothing else even come close, that's saying something. Expand
  18. May 1, 2014
    Beautifull setting, playing guild wars 2 was one of the best things i've ever played, it goes further than WoW or any other big MMORpg, first of all the price is accesible to anyone without monthly subscription, the gold - Gems market is a beautifull idea, and also the game has no restriction whatsoever it's been one of the best MMORpg without a doubt
  19. Apr 5, 2014
    16 months and 3000 ours spent: this is still the best MMORPG on the market and this year, with more competition, it's really going to stand out.

Putting 10/10 in an effort to slow down haters and people who clearly didn't play it :P
  20. Mar 18, 2014
    As a massive fan of MMORPG's, I can finally say I've finally found the MMORPG for me. First off, no monthly subscriptions, I buy it and it's all mine ! And as well, the content, wow. The amount of content on this game is never-ending and it's all for £30 ! (Even bigger than WOW, Skyrim and Oblivion) I've played this game for months on end and still haven't seen every piece this game has toAs a massive fan of MMORPG's, I can finally say I've finally found the MMORPG for me. First off, no monthly subscriptions, I buy it and it's all mine ! And as well, the content, wow. The amount of content on this game is never-ending and it's all for £30 ! (Even bigger than WOW, Skyrim and Oblivion) I've played this game for months on end and still haven't seen every piece this game has to offer. The amount of ontent is just unreal.Every player has their own unique storyline so it's different everytime you play the game, unlike a lot of MMORPG's out there and it's all for £30 ! The music and voice acting is outstanding and above all probably the best out of all the games I've played and it's all for £30 !
    Hey, did I mention all this is for £30 ! This isn't even close to summarising how intense this game is, I just wanna go back to playing it right now cause it's so good ! Playing Guild Wars 2, I can never go back to another MMORPG with monthly subscirptions ever again. It's like ESO, I'll still be playing GW2 FREE OF MONTHLY SUBSCIPTIONS ! GUILD WARS 2 IS THE GOD DAMN **** GAME CHANGER FOR MMORPGS! And I sincerely hope game dev companies planning on making MMOs learn from this.
  21. Mar 16, 2014
    I will start off by saying that I have put in well over 500 hours of game play in Guild Wars 2!
    This is overall an excellent game!
    The combat system in the game is excellent with the combat dodges, weapon based abilities and combo abilities! The first time going through the game and leveling up is the most fun you will ever have in an MMO, there is 0 grind involved in leveling up in
    This is overall an excellent game!
    The first time going through the game and leveling up is the most fun you will ever have in an MMO, there is 0 grind involved in leveling up in fact, if you choose not to do the quests in the mainland you can choose to level up by playing the world Vs word if it more suits your style.
    Each dungeon in the game is very fun and different from one another with multiple paths, a story mode and unique boss fights!
    Also, there is a PvP arena which uses seperate gear from the mainand. You unlock new weapon skins and finishers by leveling up here, which gives a great incentive for many players to participate.

However, I do remove 1 point from a perfect 10/10 score for three reasons.

1. There is not much to do in the "endgame" once you have acquired the best gear in the game
    2. The content added to the game does not interest me much. A good majority of the content is called "living story" which is basically just a one time boss fight, which usually has it's bugs on release and generally ruins the overall experience of the content.
    3. The World vs World PvP in this game, despite being an amazing experience for the first few weeks you play the game, can get boring rather quickly because of the concept. This is largely due to the way that it is played, which is zerg vs zerg combat and the bigger zerg wins.
  22. Feb 25, 2014
    Pretty amazing MMO to say the least. Beautiful world and very engaging.

Leveling the character was enjoyable! As you level the game engages the player by telling a story and continues as you level. Along with the story, zones have "events" or aka quests that players can take part in and help out npc's earning xp and karma (form of currency). Plenty of dungeons to enjoy once at a
    Pretty amazing MMO to say the least. Beautiful world and very engaging.

Leveling the character was enjoyable!

Plenty of dungeons to enjoy once at a certain level but once you are capped at 80 you can go back and try "explore" mode which provides a higher difficulty.

PvP and WvW content plenty of action to take part in.

Crafting professions were well done.
  23. EMG
    Feb 25, 2014
    By far the best MMO I have ever have the joy of playing, Guild Wars 2 never fails to impress whether your fighting a world boss, going on a raid with 50 or so other players, exploring the vast detailed polished world of Tyria or even the very well made and addicting WVW/PVP game play which adds the competitive play to GW2. All in all the game feels smooth and easy to get used to while alsoBy far the best MMO I have ever have the joy of playing, Guild Wars 2 never fails to impress whether your fighting a world boss, going on a raid with 50 or so other players, exploring the vast detailed polished world of Tyria or even the very well made and addicting WVW/PVP game play which adds the competitive play to GW2. All in all the game feels smooth and easy to get used to while also taking skill and patience in other areas of the game at later levels. The constant monthly living world updates also leave more to do after the end game or reaching the final level. 10/10 Expand
  24. Feb 24, 2014
    Очень хорошая игра, если вам надоели бесконечные квесты варкрафта, незаурядное вырезание пяти тысяч монстров в л2 - это ира для вас. Отличная графика, хорошая физика, интересная история у каждой расы, осады в режиме пвп, открытые ворлд боссы, тысячи рандомных событий в мире и многое другое. 9 из 10. Поставил бы десятку, но для меня шалит пинг на Eu регионе, ну и нет ру-локалицазии :)Очень хорошая игра, если вам надоели бесконечные квесты варкрафта, незаурядное вырезание пяти тысяч монстров в л2 - это ира для вас. Отличная графика, хорошая физика, интересная история у каждой расы, осады в режиме пвп, открытые ворлд боссы, тысячи рандомных событий в мире и многое другое. 9 из 10. Поставил бы десятку, но для меня шалит пинг на Eu регионе, ну и нет ру-локалицазии :)
  25. Feb 24, 2014
    Even though I no longer play Guild Wars 2, I still think it probably is the best MMORPG currently on the market. The developers got many things very much right and some of the mechanics are spot on. I spent very long time in this game, levelled one character to the max. level and explored a significant part of the world. The graphics look very nice, the combat system is extraordinarilyEven though I no longer play Guild Wars 2, I still think it probably is the best MMORPG currently on the market. The developers got many things very much right and some of the mechanics are spot on. I spent very long time in this game, levelled one character to the max. level and explored a significant part of the world. The graphics look very nice, the combat system is extraordinarily good for an MMO, crafting works pretty well, exploration is by far the best in the MMO genre and there is even a decent story telling. There is no monthly fee, yet the game is updated quite often. The atmosphere is mostly fine. If you play as a human that is. The other races have far less immersive setting in the starting areas. Some of the class quest suffered of bugs after release. Overall however, this game is outstandingly good. Expand
  26. Feb 23, 2014
    This game is as a welcomed change from all the other MMORPGs on the market. It's not like LOTRO where you have to pay for any kind of additional content (you can buy cosmetics as stuff like that, but that won't give you an advantage over other players). It will completely change your view on all MMORPGS and they bring out new content every two weeks which is amazing since you don't pay aThis game is as a welcomed change from all the other MMORPGs on the market. It's not like LOTRO where you have to pay for any kind of additional content (you can buy cosmetics as stuff like that, but that won't give you an advantage over other players). It will completely change your view on all MMORPGS and they bring out new content every two weeks which is amazing since you don't pay a monthly subscription.
    Overall it's a great game where you get an unbelievable amount of content for your money.
  27. Feb 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Better than TOR, The Secret World, and TERA, all things considered.
  28. Jan 24, 2014
    This is the only MMO I still enjoy after 3000 hours. I've done all the content, built a 300-adult superguild, made legendaries, full top-tier everything, a 600gold emperor title just for fun... And there's STILL STUFF COMING OUT! Sometimes the living story gets kinda boring but this is definitely redefining what good MMO's require. Kudos arenanet.
  29. Jan 21, 2014
    Absolutely incredible. I'm not an MMO guy at all, really. I played WoW, Aion, ERA, The Secret World, SWTOR, all of the cheesy stuff put out by the P2W item mall companies, and this game had something the others did not. It was different. Very different in its presentation. It was gorgeous like TERA, but the
    combat was a little more challenging because you couldn't dodge as much as you
    combat was a little more challenging because you couldn't dodge as much as you wanted. It finally did away with standards set by WoW. There were more options in ways to level, it let newbies PvP as soon as they wanted, and best of all every class could play any role in their own unique ways. That sort of This game is the only reason I do not hate every MMO. Literally, this degree of flexibility is unprecedented in the genre, except maybe by SWG, though I never got to play it.

Being a relatively shy player, getting into a party was a pain in the average MMO, and it was a requirement to progress most of the time since dungeons/raiding is a staple in many if not all MMOs. Which is sad, because the alternative staple is to grind away at generic quests. TERA said its quests would be different, the devs lied. GW2 said it'd be different and they delivered. Sure you could kill stuff most of the time to do quests, but you had other avenues to progress through your quests. The alternate ways to complete quests were often reasonable and creative. Anyway, I digressed, but the dynamic party system is fantastic and puts an end to the kill-stealing of mobs by other players in some of the genre's other games.

The game may be a little P2W, but it is only technically so. You can convert the item mall and in-game currency between each other, allowing paying players to buy in-game items with essentially purchase gold. It's likely a glaring issue to many players, but it doesn't affect PvP or World vs World vs World in meaningful ways, and it doesn't affect the small-scale PvP at all as it uses its own special set of gear in place of your normal gear. In World vs World vs World stats aren't as noticeable because everyone is level 80 while there. Bought gear gives an advantage, but in the midst of 50+ vs 50+ battle, these advantages play a negligible role, which shows when you look at the WvWvW leaderboards. They are usually very close.

I think sour players dislike the game for the wrong reasons. Maybe it's because it isn't a clone of GW? Or WoW? I think they are a minority. I think most people dislike this game because they saw currency conversion and looked no further before quitting/brushing the game off. Maybe they didn't like how they didn't have 100+ skills littering their screen to distract them from the game's beauty. Or how you could join as many guilds as you wanted, but could only represent one at a time. There's also the 'level grind' that doesn't exist. I level fast. I went up twenty levels in a day with WvWvW. The XP rewards scale.

The only downside to this game is the currency conversion. Yes I know I shrugged at it earlier, but for people who gauge success by level(which hardly applies to GW2 outside of gear aesthetic), it can be lame. You can use gems to get gold to get crafting materials, and use the crafting system to max a character and a buy a set of max gear. As far as player interaction goes, this matters very little, as explained earlier.

Kudos to Arena Net/NCSoft for having the courage to take risks and execute them well. May they carry this innovative philosophy on to other games they produce.
  30. Jan 17, 2014
    Guild Wars 2 is the MMO that has been awaited for years. With an enormous amount of content, diverse quests, and an overall enhancing experience, Guild Wars 2 is a spectacle. The personal story is only average, but it isn't what the game is about. This MMO is a milestone for the genre; an achievement for the year, if not the decade.

2. Jan 2, 2013