• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. Aug 28, 2012
    Please not I have not played GW 1, but I have played WoW in the past.
    There were many things about this game that I really enjoyed, and a few things that I wish were done differently, but so far I have enjoyed all my time playing this game.
    Please not I have not played GW 1, but I have played WoW in the past.

Let's start with the things that I enjoyed. World questing events are really fun, and definitely add a feeling of being part of a bigger community. You can just be running around doing another quest when you suddenly get a notification that an event is going on nearby. Sometimes it can be something small, like protecting a wagon from attackers, and will have 8-10 people with it depending on who is nearby. Other times this can mean a massive assault on an enemy stronghold with 40+ people fighting mobs and a boss. Really cool.

Second, I really like the fact that your level scales down when you go to lower zones, but experience scales to your actual level, so even doing questing in low level areas is a viable way to level up, if you want to play with your noobie friends. You can also still receive upgrades to your current gear in low level areas. And exploring the map actually gains you a significant amount of experience, making it not just another thing to do for achievements.

The graphics are great. Coming from WoW, which to me feels very cartoonish, this game is a breath of fresh air. I know there are other MMO's on the market with realism, , but this is the first one I have played since WoW so I can't comment on other games comparing. A lot of the locations have a very unique and cool feeling to them as well as looking good graphically.

Not paying a subscription is great. I was tired of dishing out $15 a month to play a game I was only mildly interested. Now I don't feel bad if I can't play GW 2 every night because it was a one time thing. There are places that you can spend money to get various aesthetic items, but they aren't pushing the pay options in your face, and people who pay don't have an intrinsic advantage over those who don't.

As for things that I wish were different, or that I at least missed from WoW.

No world pvp. Yes you have the PVP zone where you combat against other servers, but you can't do PVP on your server while questing. I really miss the thrill of having to watch out for people trying to kill me while I am just doing normal stuff. Although without factions in this game, I don't really thing world PVP is a possibility.

Another thing is that once you choose a server, all your 5 characters have to stay on that server. If you transfer servers, all your 5 characters transfer. You can't have characters spread over multiple servers. So if you and your friend created characters on different servers by accident, one of you is going to have to pay to transfer.

Overall I find this game really enjoyable, and there were other things I liked that I didn't mention, such as changing your weapon changes your skills, having a separate weapon for underwater combat, and finding secret hard to get to places. I would definitely suggest buying this game if you are looking for a new MMO to play.
  2. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is the long awaited sequel and it's been worth every day of the wait. Fun dynamic events that chain together, In-depth personal story, engaging combat. Guild Wars 2 is a well polished MMO. Worth every penny.
  3. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a fun time. There is obviously room for improvement and they are patching it constantly. This headstart weekend there were 3? patches that improved stability and fixed some issues. I have not dabbled in the PvP because between the PvE and WvW I have my hands full. To address some of the lower reviews. If you hit a wall where you have run out of quests to do in your area youGuild Wars 2 is a fun time. There is obviously room for improvement and they are patching it constantly. This headstart weekend there were 3? patches that improved stability and fixed some issues. I have not dabbled in the PvP because between the PvE and WvW I have my hands full. To address some of the lower reviews. If you hit a wall where you have run out of quests to do in your area you can simply go to any other area in the game and GW2 will "equalize" you to that areas level. If you get banned from the game for 3 days it is in the TOS - that is your warning. Again the game is missing some things - like a functioning Trading Post, along with some other things from your typical MMO that are missed - such as an inspect function and a trade function; everything is via mail. On a completely unrelated note - the dyes are awesome. Expand
  4. Aug 28, 2012
    An excellent MMO that while following the usual tropes of a themepark MMO, significantly improves and expands them. While combat may take some getting used to, it is a far richer experience than most alternatives. Unlike the traditional MMO combat system, player movement and tactical finesse is a critical part of success. Progression through the game's 80 levels is a joy and a multitude ofAn excellent MMO that while following the usual tropes of a themepark MMO, significantly improves and expands them. While combat may take some getting used to, it is a far richer experience than most alternatives. Unlike the traditional MMO combat system, player movement and tactical finesse is a critical part of success. Progression through the game's 80 levels is a joy and a multitude of options are available for gathering experience, from crafting and PvE to PvP combat in both massive cross server fights, or tactical battleground settings of 10-16 players. Expand
  5. Aug 28, 2012
    The game is absolutely stunning. Although it is lacking some dx11 features, the graphic artists created a beautiful world, the presentation and the art direction as simply spectacular. The old boring quest system has been replaced with an intuitive and unique mechanic called Dynamic Events. These change the landscape considerably and offer a variety of ways to progress them, there areThe game is absolutely stunning. Although it is lacking some dx11 features, the graphic artists created a beautiful world, the presentation and the art direction as simply spectacular. The old boring quest system has been replaced with an intuitive and unique mechanic called Dynamic Events. These change the landscape considerably and offer a variety of ways to progress them, there are events that spawn after a failure. NPCs don't just stand still waiting to give quests to players, they interract with each other and then environment. The NPCs tell a story, and it is a mistake not to stay awhile and listen and to that story unfold in front of your eyes (and ears) and instead run for the exp. This creates a living breathing world that responds to player action, the game feels alive like no other and your actions actually have a meaning, they change the surroundings and offer new posibilities.
    Exploring is key in the game, there is just so much to be found in the world of Tyria, coupled with the amazing scenery and art direction, you are never bored of looking to the vast landscape and exploring to your heart's content. There are well hidden places to be found, jumping puzzles and hidden treasures that are there to be found by expert explorers.
    Combat is very well done, active and up-close and personal. There is no aggro mechanic or any kind of passive block and to-hit mechanisms, it's all up to the player to either hit or be hit by enemies. The game has distinct professions that offer variable abilities for every situation. Each one can perform control damage and support tasks, to a certain extend, marking the end of the holy trinity that plagued RPGs for so long.
  6. Aug 28, 2012
    I think lots of the 0-3 reviews here are extremely biased. Problems on launch day, really? Doesn't play like WoW or whereever you come from? go figure. I love the game so far, it's better than every other MMORPG I played so far in almost every aspect.
  7. Aug 28, 2012
    One of the best mmorpgs of this generation.Well let me say that apart from being innovative,it is fun to progress in the game.The game itself is different from other mmos as it takes a different approach to the mmorpg genre.There is no trinity,no grind for gear,no trinity and last but not least smooth leveling.These elements are implemented excellently to make the game more fun than otherOne of the best mmorpgs of this generation.Well let me say that apart from being innovative,it is fun to progress in the game.The game itself is different from other mmos as it takes a different approach to the mmorpg genre.There is no trinity,no grind for gear,no trinity and last but not least smooth leveling.These elements are implemented excellently to make the game more fun than other mmorpgs.It is buy to play so you need to pay a one time fee to access the full game with an optional cash shop containing no pay to win items.The most important part is the fun of the game.No mmorpg has been this fun to level all the way to max level.Quests are not a chore but an exciting experience that are easy to complete.Apart from quests there are Dynamic events which pits you in an event to make a certain objective with other players,these involve centaurs attacking a village,aiding npc to cross a certain ground,defending a fort,killing an epic boss and much more.Thats not only that make Guild Wras 2 excellent but the World vs World is a nice addition to the game.You can at anyime hop into this mode where you are against 2 other servers(worlds) to take territory.You will siege castles,towers,camps,raid supplys and even take a single road.Keep in mind doing this solo is not going to work,teaming up with 60+ players is required to siege a tower and maybe 6 for a supply camp but it is very easy to find a group so you can venture with.You can also upgrade your buildings to make them more defensive,buy siege equipment and make guild claiming.You can also level up by killing players and npcs that defend the territory.Apart from WvW, there is also structured pvp where matches will be held for competitive play.In pvp you are geared in endgame gear and maxed to level 80.This method is so efficient because some mmorpgs are usually gear requiring making the pvp less skillful.Others are pay to win where you pay to increase your stats and armor to own players.In both WvW and PvP you are maxed to level 80 but in WvW you remain in your pve gear.This does not affect you in any other way because as I said before gear isn't the main thing.All in all Guild Wars 2 is an excellent game that any mmorpg lover should play.Even singleplayer rpg gamers should play this because it caters an overall experience that appeals to a large audience. Expand
  8. Aug 28, 2012
    Game is superb. I've been playing MMO's since they first started appearing. This one is highly polished, the dev team is highly responsive in community forums. Music is excellent, visuals are excellent, story is excellent. 10/10 for me!
  9. Aug 28, 2012
    If you like themepark based MMOs, there really is no better game out right now than GW2. The level of detail and polish just in the NPC chatter alone really helps shape the lore and world. Combat is extremely fluid with weapon swapping, dodging and combo fields this game is one of the more visceral MMOs out there. If you like to explore, this is the game for you, if you like to only Raid,If you like themepark based MMOs, there really is no better game out right now than GW2. The level of detail and polish just in the NPC chatter alone really helps shape the lore and world. Combat is extremely fluid with weapon swapping, dodging and combo fields this game is one of the more visceral MMOs out there. If you like to explore, this is the game for you, if you like to only Raid, you may find it lacking. Expand
  10. Aug 28, 2012
    Game is amazing. Sad to see people giving it negative reviews due to bugs and errors in a pre launch head start that can easily be fixed by a simple patch....
  11. Aug 28, 2012
    The game has stepped one hundred feet in the right direction for the genre and this is something that the genre has been awaiting for a long time.

The inclusion of actual, dynamic dodging and attacking. The combo system that allows you to combo with your friends... its all amazing. People who are claiming no end game need to realize that this is and always has been a pvp driven

People who are claiming no end game need to realize that this is and always has been a pvp driven universe. The fact that you can jump in at max level and pvp with your friends is amazing as is the WvW system where you fight other servers.

The combo system and dynamic ability to switch weapon sets during combat, along with the co-op style combo system makes PVP VERY skill based, rather than other MMO's face-smash style of fighting.

If you are a fan of PVP, get the game. NOW.

The story still has flare and is fun to go through when learning how to play your class and the mechanics of the game.
  12. Aug 28, 2012
    I gave this game a ten because I feel that it was money well spent. 60 dollars for the cleanest RPG experience in an MMO. If you hate the Xobx live kids, or the trash talking low lives from various MOBA, FPS, and other competitive MMO, you know that GW2 staff is ready to squash these babies.

The company has character and integrity. They believes strongly in their product and policies and has thus far stuck to their message. There's communication between Arena net's staff and the GW2 community, and the communications have been civil and constructive.
  13. Aug 28, 2012
    Is this game a 10 right now? No. Does it have the potential to be a 10 once all the bugs are worked out and a few needed features are added. Yes? Do any other MMOs have the potential to be 10s. In my opinion, no. Not after GW2. All other MMOs are built on antiquated systems that can no longer rate 10 in my book. At one point I would have rated WOW a 10, but there is no way I could anymore.Is this game a 10 right now? No. Does it have the potential to be a 10 once all the bugs are worked out and a few needed features are added. Yes? Do any other MMOs have the potential to be 10s. In my opinion, no. Not after GW2. All other MMOs are built on antiquated systems that can no longer rate 10 in my book. At one point I would have rated WOW a 10, but there is no way I could anymore.

So why I am rating it 10? Because, as I said before, it can be a 10. I am willing to give them three months. If after three months it is not a 10, I will revise my review. Also, I feel compelled to combat the unnecessary 0's. Seriously, why zero? It is not that bad, not even close. This game should be a 10 right now, but ArenaNet dropped the ball by not having a open beta. They absolutely should have had two week open beta and then announced a release date.

The only reason I am willing to be lenient is because WOW and others were given time to correct their problems. WOW's release was a atrocious, but people gave it time to work itself out. Why can't we give this game a little bit of time to get things right? The standard MMO's are held to these days is absurd, and makes it insanely difficult for any company to compete with Blizzard. Now Blizzard with their 5000+ employees can put out an unfinished game and set sales records. ArenaNet with their 300+ employees should be given some time to iron things out.
  14. Aug 28, 2012
    I've played MMORPGs since their earliest days with MUDs, Everquest etc. and seen the evolution of the genre, and also it's stagnation for the past decade.

Guild Wars 2 hearkens back to the true potential of MMOGs to be *fun games* taken massively multiplayer. While most MMORPGs of the past decade have seen fit to lazily copy off of the major contenders of the genre, ArenaNet had the courage and foresight to do something radically different.

The game boasts extremely fun combat (unlike most MMOs), a dynamic, living world to adventure in, and some of the most competitive PvP gameplay ever to come to the MMO space.

Guild Wars 2 isn't just a good MMO, and it's actually held back by the baggage that genre carries. Instead, it plays as a *great* RPG first and foremost, and just happens to be a great MMO as a bonus.
  15. Aug 28, 2012
    I've been around gaming for a long time. And this is the game I have always been waiting for (well at least a 1st step) a living breathing world for me to explore and interact with.
  16. Aug 28, 2012
    Its not the revolution of the gender, but an evolution. Subscriptions on MMORPGS are dead, and only buying the box (or a digital copy) you can play this tripleA MMORPG without worrying about wasting your money every moment you are not playing it.

The story is great, sPvP combat is balanced and fun, the dynamic its a great upgrade to the typical "quest system" There is no reason to not pick up GW2 if you like MMORPGS, even if you dont like MMORPGS you should give it a shot, i heard ANET had refund money to people that didnt like the game after buying it.

This is just my personal opinion, i think this is the best MMORPG for me, and it have all i were looking for in a game.
  17. Aug 28, 2012
    just couldnt give this game a 9. my situation is...i have no reason to play other games. i dropped DoTA2, BF3, and many others cold turkey. i play GW2 as a pvper. the well-rounded pve experience is just a bonus to me. ANet is one hell of a company.
  18. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is the best MMORPG that I've played in a loooooong time and it definitely raises the bar for future MMORPGs. Awesome game? Check. Buy once? Check. No subscription? Check. Haters gon' hate? Check. After playing GW2 - I don't see myself playing any other MMORPG for a long, loooooong time. This doesn't mean GW2 doesn't have its flaws - but NOTHING comes close to the awesomenessGuild Wars 2 is the best MMORPG that I've played in a loooooong time and it definitely raises the bar for future MMORPGs. Awesome game? Check. Buy once? Check. No subscription? Check. Haters gon' hate? Check. After playing GW2 - I don't see myself playing any other MMORPG for a long, loooooong time. This doesn't mean GW2 doesn't have its flaws - but NOTHING comes close to the awesomeness of this game. Once ArenaNet starts releasing expansion packs to introduce more content, this game will be the new king of MMORPGs if it isn't already. Expand
  19. Aug 28, 2012
    Great evolution of the Guild Wars story line. Quite enjoy the free-roaming sandbox nature of the game play. Minor 'fresh out of the box' bugs, but if the history of the Arenanet team is anything to go by, they'll be fixed up quickly.
  20. Aug 28, 2012
    This is an absolutely superb game. Finally, I have a game to replace WoW. The quality of this subscription-free game shows up how laughable the subscription model is.
  21. Aug 28, 2012
    14 year MMO vet here. GW2 is the best MMO since WoW, maybe in forever. Massive, immersive world, tons of fun content and fun over all game play. Definitely one of the largest, most beautiful MMO worlds since Vanilla WoW, with plenty of redundancy to further increase re-playability. Combat is fun and dynamic. Professions are well designed and offer a lot of variety. Everyone has a self14 year MMO vet here. GW2 is the best MMO since WoW, maybe in forever. Massive, immersive world, tons of fun content and fun over all game play. Definitely one of the largest, most beautiful MMO worlds since Vanilla WoW, with plenty of redundancy to further increase re-playability. Combat is fun and dynamic. Professions are well designed and offer a lot of variety. Everyone has a self heal, no dedicated healers in this game. The game has a lot of innovative features that not only work well on their own, but the entire game comes together to produce something much greater than the sum of all it's parts.

Between beta events and the three day head start, I've already logged 200 hours of game play. The fun and sense of discovery has never waned and I look forward to playing this game for the long haul!

Too many MMOs in recent years have failed to offer much beyond a month of play for many players. It's great to see a new MMO that has the content, world and game play to support a long term commitment from the players. Guild Wars 2 sets a new bar for MMO design that will be very difficult to match or exceed in the next few years. Unless there is some game in development somewhere that can outdo what GW2 has done, this is going to be THE game for many MMO players for the next year, or even a few years, depending on how well Arenanet are able to build upon the game via future expansion.

A final note, there is no subscription fee, which is amazing, since the game offers more than any game since WoW launched as far as world size, content, features, etc... You aren't getting a discount experience due to the lack of subscription fee. If you do like the game and keep playing, you might want to consider making use of the Gem Store, as a way to support the game and it's further development financially. Nothing in the store is pay to Win or even provides an unfair advantage, but there are things like character slots, expanded vault space, etc... that will be useful to almost everyone. Dropping $10 on gems every once in a while, in lieu of a subscription fee, will provide some nice account upgrades or even some fluff cosmetic items, while ensuring the future successful expansion of the game moving forward. To sum up, the game is massive, fun, immersive, with a huge world space, tons of content, breadth of features and depth of game play pretty much unparalleled by other current games in the MMORPG genre. If you are an MMO fan, you can't go wrong for $60. For many, this is a game that will provide hundreds or even thousands of hours of game play. There is no better entertainment value for your dollar!
  22. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is the next stage in MMO evolution -- bigger than the jump from EverQuest to World of Warcraft.

Some points to consider: - Free to Play + Cash Store means spend money on what you want, when you want, if you want. Not pay to win. - Personal stories based on your decisions when making your character and branches during the story quest itself mean every character you make

Some points to consider:
    - Personal stories based on your decisions when making your character and branches during the story quest itself mean every character you make has slightly different lore progression.
    - No more immersion crushing yellow punctuation hovering over people's heads. (yes!)
    - Everyone gets EXP for hitting your mob. It encourages interactivity.
    - Everyone can resurrect everyone else. Down? Anyone can come by and help you up.
    - Every class can heal and fight ranged. Brilliant -- no more "tanks" healers" and "DPS" Every profession (class) is a bit of everything, but in its own particular way.
    - EXP for crafting. Tons of it. Pacifist? You can level to 80 by crafting -- no joke.
    - Dye your armor whenever you want. Collect from the hundreds of possible dye colors and create a unique look.

There's plenty more -- read the official sight -- but, to sum up, if you're like I was, playing every AAA MMO title released hoping for the next big thing and continually being disappointed, you'll breathe a sigh of relief that, finally, a post-WoW MMO lived up to its pre-release hype.
  23. Aug 28, 2012
    I have to the say, this is the best MMO I have played in years. Most new MMOs that came out are WOW clones (or same style) and nothing new. This one has all the best features of the best mmos out there, dynamic quests -> Rift.

Only thing that is lacking is the dungeons. They are too hard to do without the standard TANK/HEALER/DMG. Needs a better dungeon strategy.
  24. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is really amazing. It's the first MMORPG that's lived up to it's hype in every conceivable way. It shakes things up in ways no other game has dared to in years. And all because World of Warcraft set the standard in 2004. But it grew too large and became a cancer on the MMO genre. No one dared deviate from the formula established by WoW but ultimately this just lead to numerousThis game is really amazing. It's the first MMORPG that's lived up to it's hype in every conceivable way. It shakes things up in ways no other game has dared to in years. And all because World of Warcraft set the standard in 2004. But it grew too large and became a cancer on the MMO genre. No one dared deviate from the formula established by WoW but ultimately this just lead to numerous half-baked clones. Guild Wars 2 is different. It changes things, but it changes the right things. This game IS the WoW-killer. Everyone is afraid to believe in the old legend, but it's true. This is the game we've all been waiting for. This is the great savior of MMORPGs that has finally come to cast down the great beast, World of Warcraft. All hail! Expand
  25. Sep 29, 2012
    One of the best games out there. It's clear as day that the large majority of these "negative reviews" are coming from people who have not even played the game and are either just trolling to be miserable trolls or are mad because their game might be failing in some way (SWTOR, Kung Fu Panda)
  26. Aug 28, 2012
    Amazing game, definitely the best MMO to come out in a long time. No subscription fees, an amazing level of quality in every profession and every zone, graphics second to none and the game REWARDS YOU FOR ACTUALLY DOING ALL THE CONTENT. It scales down your level so you can play with friends who are lower than you without destroying everything in one shot, and the individual story makes youAmazing game, definitely the best MMO to come out in a long time. No subscription fees, an amazing level of quality in every profession and every zone, graphics second to none and the game REWARDS YOU FOR ACTUALLY DOING ALL THE CONTENT. It scales down your level so you can play with friends who are lower than you without destroying everything in one shot, and the individual story makes you feel like you're a part of the world, not just another killing machine. If you're new or old to the genre, now is the time to pick up this game. :) Expand
  27. Aug 28, 2012
    Great game. Awesome combat mechanics, graphics, sounds, animations, etc. Currently missing the trading post and with some minor bugs; haven't found any game breaking bugs
  28. Aug 28, 2012
    This game makes me feel like the biggest completionist. As a long-time MMO fan who never could get into WoW, I have been hinging my hopes on GW2 to deliver a solid, genuinely fun experience. It does all this and more. Suddenly gameplay doesn't feel like a grind and I focus less on what my level is and more on exploration, discovery, and just enjoying the gorgeous variety of the world. TheThis game makes me feel like the biggest completionist. As a long-time MMO fan who never could get into WoW, I have been hinging my hopes on GW2 to deliver a solid, genuinely fun experience. It does all this and more. Suddenly gameplay doesn't feel like a grind and I focus less on what my level is and more on exploration, discovery, and just enjoying the gorgeous variety of the world. The great thing is that this game is perfectly suited for all kinds of players - those who just want to experience the story, those who are interested solely in PvP, crafters, achievement-hunters, explorers. The game is massive, yet nothing feels like it was stretched too thin. The long wait for Guild Wars 2 was more than worth it for me. Expand
  29. Aug 28, 2012
    The absolute stunning beauty in this game is alone worth a score of 10. As a friend of mine said "I've never walked around in a game for hours just looking at things, I didn't even care where I was going or why." There is so much depth to the art it's truly amazing.
  30. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is everything I thought it would be. It has no subscription which is just outright amazing for the quality of the game! OBVIOUSLY all the people rating this game with a 0 are just butthurt WoW fanboys, who are crying because another MMO actually has a chance of taking away WoW's community. Seriously grow up guys we can just smell your pathetic bias. Guild Wars 2 has amazingThis game is everything I thought it would be. It has no subscription which is just outright amazing for the quality of the game! OBVIOUSLY all the people rating this game with a 0 are just butthurt WoW fanboys, who are crying because another MMO actually has a chance of taking away WoW's community. Seriously grow up guys we can just smell your pathetic bias. Guild Wars 2 has amazing graphics, looks better than most current single player games! The graphics are just unheard of for an MMO (once again, a subscription-less MMO) I think the people rating it down for graphics are either extremely uneducated or have really bad computers and cannot run the graphics to begin with. NEVER listen to a review that gives a 0, as obviously they have a grudge or agenda to try and soil the name of a game, don't feed the haters! Anyway back to Guild Wars 2, the scale of the maps is HUGE everything feels so immersive and realistic. The zones are beautiful, the citys look exactly like their concept art! The music is amazing! (done by the same guy that did the music for Oblivion and Skyrim) The personal story modes for your character are great and easy to get into, they also change A LOT to the decisions you make. The PVP is excellent, very smooth and entertaining. WvWvW is the best siege simulator I have ever seen in a game, and will provide many, many hours of entertainment. The servers are VERY stable, their overflow zone system is incredibly smart! Crafting is well done, and bag space management is revolutionary! This game is 100% worth the $60 AU (which is all you will ever have to pay!) Thank you for this amazing game Arena net. I am an ex 5 year World of Warcraft player, and Guild Wars 2 is a massive leap in the right direction! I am not usually one to give a 10 in a review but this game has 100% earned it! R.I.P World of Warcraft! Guild Wars 2 is officially the new King of MMOs! Expand
  31. Aug 28, 2012
    This game marks a return to the roots of the MMO genre. The adventure is squarely in the players hands, and if the player can't adapt they will see stale game play much like World of Warcraft. Only when the player begins to explore the world and pay attention to the quirky behavior of the world's NPCs will it become clear that this is something both old and new. The controls feelThis game marks a return to the roots of the MMO genre. The adventure is squarely in the players hands, and if the player can't adapt they will see stale game play much like World of Warcraft. Only when the player begins to explore the world and pay attention to the quirky behavior of the world's NPCs will it become clear that this is something both old and new. The controls feel awkward in some ways, because of the way the camera moves, however once the player becomes adjusted to dodging everything begins to come together. It almost feels laggy until you begin to use skills and dodging to evade instead of quickly strafing to the opposite direction. If you are looking to get back to the time when players weren't guided along the rails like mindless cattle, Tyria is the world for you. Guild Wars 2 is your game to play. Expand
  32. Aug 28, 2012
    The is game is the revolution. Ive been waiting for 5 years for this game and exceeded all of my expectations and then some! It just raised the bar for not just for mmo standards but on how to make a game in general.
  33. Aug 28, 2012
    So people are going to complain about certain things broke? Fine, but when you're dealing with 400k CONCURRENT users online, unforeseen issues will occur. For what it's worth, it is THE smoothest launch of ANY game. Yes, even Warcraft. They have delivered on numerous occasions, spilled their souls into the story, content, and technical systems. It's not about pressing "1" multipleSo people are going to complain about certain things broke? Fine, but when you're dealing with 400k CONCURRENT users online, unforeseen issues will occur. For what it's worth, it is THE smoothest launch of ANY game. Yes, even Warcraft. They have delivered on numerous occasions, spilled their souls into the story, content, and technical systems. It's not about pressing "1" multiple times: it's about knowing when to use your abilities at the proper times. There is something that has been missing to MMO's: fun. This game delivers that on so many levels WITHOUT Skinner box feelies through the levels. This allows the person playing to feel fulfilled even to the end of their PVE route of levels, without the taste of ash. Those who base their judgments or parallel this game with others: you just can't. You can't say that every fantasy setting is the same as the next. You want to parallel it with a game then do it with Warhammer--the game it was set out to be for in the first place. Guild Wars 2 has no hype train: it's the people playing the game telling others it's time to try something unique and higher quality. As for graphics, if you don't apply some kind of spectrum of quality for people, you limit the amount of people to play the game. Sure, it doesn't have SUPER QUAD GRAPHICS OF NEXT GENNING but there is a masterwork level of art direction with ALL of their choices in that regard.

If you are looking to sink your teeth in with tons of story, get this. If you are looking for hardcore PvP--siege or battlegrounds-esque fighting--get this. There will always be the naysayer, but everyone will ALWAYS have their preferences either way.
  34. Aug 29, 2012
    Best MMO-RPG in many years. Beautiful graphics, fun and great game play. PVE is excellent but what takes this game on another level is best PVP ever. And world vs world vs world is even better.
  35. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is just too AWESOME! No problems with the game has had any impact on me 'cause the PVE and WvW has been designed in a great way. THANK YOU ARENANET for this great game, one of the absolute best I've ever played!
  36. Aug 29, 2012
    There is simply no way this game could receive anything less than a 5 in a legit manner. It pains me to say this but obstruction of user score by another company appears to be what is happening here. On reddit there is several documented instances of user reviews here giving a 0 but giving Diablo 3 a 10.

http://www.metacritic.com/user/Tamer http://www.metacritic.com/user/RasputinMD

http://www.metacritic.com/user/RasputinMD And here are some for The Secret World

This obvious trolling is the only thing keeping the user score out of the 9 range.

But no matter, onto the reason why it deserves a high score:

-The promotion of exploration and multiple routes of solid leveling paths is excellent in relation to the rest of the mmo market. Vistas and waypoint/poi discovering provide solid complimentary experience while levelling up and in some cases keep you up to date with your zone. I've actually played for hours without bothering about what l am, which leads into point two.

-Scaling down in lower level zones keeps you on your feet and stops the standard steamroll of lower level zones. Even if you are a high level player you will have to pay attention when seeking completion of lower level zones that aren't yours. Being able to assist friends that are just starting without ruining their fun is also a solid gameplay choice.

-The combat itself is rock solid and feels responsive, with the ability to dodge and roll away bringing unique gameplay choices to what would otherwise be standard mmo combat. There is some complaint about underwater combat but its such a minor issue that it doesn't deserve to overshadow anything else.

-World vs World is very fun and highly rewarding. The thrill of large scale combat is there for those who wish to enjoy it. PVP itself hasn't been an area I've spent much time in outside of a few hours in WvW but what I have done has been rich and exciting. There is nothing like storming through a gate of an opposing realms keep and slaughtering the players inside. -Questing has been ingeniously dressed up to get away from the old yellow exclamation point style. Multiple ways to complete the same quest give options for players to perform actions the way they want, not by a rigidly defined set of requirements. -I've found myself with plenty of things to do despite several large parts of the game not being touched yet. Auction house playing is something I usually spend hours with but they haven't even enabled that and I'm still enjoying myself greatly. Once the launch issues are resolved the game can move forward to address its list of minor issues. The overall feel while playing this game can't be matched except by the wonder that I got out of play the first iteration of world of warcraft back shortly after its launch. That kind excitement hasn't been felt by me for a long time and its refreshing. I've played SWTOR and RIFT but neither have approached the level of enjoyment I am getting right now. Give this game a try, because there is something for everybody. You won't be punished for doing what you love to do. You will be rewarded for all of your exploits, all the way down to making your first crafting items.
  37. Aug 29, 2012
    Great game. The graphics are in fact wonderful if they aren't your computer is to blame not the game. It's a good plot and although it doesn't feel like the old guild wars I am enjoying it all the same. It's not a pay2win. You can get exp boosts with them but there isn't an exchange for gold using gems! You would have to trade it to another player for gold. It has a good plot and a betterGreat game. The graphics are in fact wonderful if they aren't your computer is to blame not the game. It's a good plot and although it doesn't feel like the old guild wars I am enjoying it all the same. It's not a pay2win. You can get exp boosts with them but there isn't an exchange for gold using gems! You would have to trade it to another player for gold. It has a good plot and a better combat system than the old guild wars. Although the customization for skills isn't the same it's still there the focus has been shifted from what you play with such as builds anyone can use to how you play. Expand
  38. Aug 29, 2012
    Simply an amazing game. I've played many of the major MMOs (EQ, WoW, GW1, Tera, +many more), and this game (thus far) contains more depth and breath taking artwork than the rest combined. While more work needs to be done, this is the most complete MMO at launch I've ever played. It takes all the lessons that have been learned from other MMOs and solves them in a great way. From DynamicSimply an amazing game. I've played many of the major MMOs (EQ, WoW, GW1, Tera, +many more), and this game (thus far) contains more depth and breath taking artwork than the rest combined. While more work needs to be done, this is the most complete MMO at launch I've ever played. It takes all the lessons that have been learned from other MMOs and solves them in a great way. From Dynamic quests to the crafting system, this game makes me feel like its my first MMO all over again. The combat system is simple yet full of depth and the talent/skill system allows for more personalization than you first realize. Just exploring the world and doing whatever you want always has rewards ready for you. From xp, to armor, to power ups - the game makes you want to continue playing at every turn. The personal story is very well done - though I have to admit the Asura and Sylvari (for me) have been strikingly great. It makes it very rare that any two people will choose the same choices and the dye system/personal character customization makes sure that no two characters look exactly the same. I highly recommend this game to anyone starting in the MMO genre or anyone that knows MMOs and wants to feel renewed. The game will only get better as Anet solves the small problems that any game with this hype/size will suffer. Expand
  39. Aug 29, 2012
    "Guild Wars 2 is fun" is an extreme understatement. There is always something to do, something to see, something to discover. Moving away from linear, grindy gameplay found in some MMORPG's, ArenaNet moves away from the pack and immerses us in a world that is truly amazing and begs to be explored. sPvP is excellent, the maps are great, and class balance is definitely there. No one class"Guild Wars 2 is fun" is an extreme understatement. There is always something to do, something to see, something to discover. Moving away from linear, grindy gameplay found in some MMORPG's, ArenaNet moves away from the pack and immerses us in a world that is truly amazing and begs to be explored. sPvP is excellent, the maps are great, and class balance is definitely there. No one class has the edge over another, and each class has many ways they can be played. You know what else is amazing? No subscription fee. You pay $60 and get your hands on a milestone of the MMORPG's. For all you MMORPG lurkers out there looking for a gamechanger, this one is sure to deliver. Expand
  40. Aug 29, 2012
    This game is one of the best mmo's I've played. Smoothest release compared to any other and the gameplay is just fun. Most MMO's require a holy trinity(tanks, healers, dps) but not this game. It's been erased and for the better. Now there's never a reason to sit around waiting for a group. The scenery is breath taking. Community in this game is amazing and everyone is friendly. CraftingThis game is one of the best mmo's I've played. Smoothest release compared to any other and the gameplay is just fun. Most MMO's require a holy trinity(tanks, healers, dps) but not this game. It's been erased and for the better. Now there's never a reason to sit around waiting for a group. The scenery is breath taking. Community in this game is amazing and everyone is friendly. Crafting and farming is very easy. Minimal bugs get worked out quickly. The only cost for Guilds Wars 2 is $60.00 with no reoccuring monthly charges and it's a steal. There is no pay to win in this game, which makes everything balanced. There honestly isn't any better way to make a mmo. GW2 is a great mmo and is not going away anytime soon! Expand
  41. Aug 29, 2012
    For what the game is worth I can say it is far better than most of the MMO's released on market. I played it days before it was even launched and I have encountered absolutely no bugs with any function except for the trade market, which I honestly could care less about. Seriously, if you feel in any way let down by this game then you are just being a brat. I love the atmosphere of thisFor what the game is worth I can say it is far better than most of the MMO's released on market. I played it days before it was even launched and I have encountered absolutely no bugs with any function except for the trade market, which I honestly could care less about. Seriously, if you feel in any way let down by this game then you are just being a brat. I love the atmosphere of this game, it truly breathes with the help of dynamic events making you feel actually involved in the new lands you discover. The fact that the game gives you an incentive to explore and reach unexplored points for XP is a fantastic feature. It gives you reason to reach the corners of the world and not just grind monsters. Enjoy it for what it's worth, nobody's asking you to pay 10-15 bucks a month for this polished and well thought game. Expand
  42. Aug 29, 2012
    You know it's funny. Between 2005 and 2012 the reviews haven't changed much. I still remember these tears:

- waaaaa, GW1 is just instanced so it's no MMORPG! - waaaaa, i can't use all my skills at the same time, so it's **** - waaaaa, you can't jump or swim, so banal! Doesn't change the fact that I have logged several thousand hours into GW1 (the only other game I have that many

- waaaaa, GW1 is just instanced so it's no MMORPG!
    - waaaaa, i can't use all my skills at the same time, so it's ****
    - waaaaa, you can't jump or swim, so banal!

Doesn't change the fact that I have logged several thousand hours into GW1 (the only other game I have that many hours is Starcraft) and had one of the best internet-times of my life with my Guild. Rock on, A.Net!
  43. Aug 29, 2012
    This has been a great game so far and I predict hours of fun from it to come. It's a nice change from the blandness of other MMO's like WoW and the recent flop of ToR. No subscription fee is of course, always a bonus.
    Recommended to my friends? Yes!
  44. Aug 29, 2012
    Love the game. Best of all, no monthly fee. We'll see how things are 6 months from now content-wise. One small downside is the way you pick servers and how all your toons are solely on that server.
  45. Aug 29, 2012
    So much content and so much to look at, the combat is fun and fluid, there are a few minor bugs atm but they will be ironed out.
    Overall it's money well spent and there is plenty more I haven't seen
  46. Aug 29, 2012
    If you're truly not a friend of mmo's this game is for you. The reason? It's the only game i played yet wich deserves the title "massive" multiplayer online - rpg. No matter what people will play actually together instead of worrying to steal eachothers xp or loot. While it's not the revolution everybody was hyping for, it definately makes things better in many ways. Also, without aIf you're truly not a friend of mmo's this game is for you. The reason? It's the only game i played yet wich deserves the title "massive" multiplayer online - rpg. No matter what people will play actually together instead of worrying to steal eachothers xp or loot. While it's not the revolution everybody was hyping for, it definately makes things better in many ways. Also, without a monthly subscription fee you're not forced to play as much as possible for not loosing gametime. Perfect for a casual player like me. Only downside for many mmo players is probably the lack of classic questing and the so called endgame for the timegobbling hunt for being the most op geared player on the whole server (and in pvp). Only gear you can archive later on are pure cosmetic. Expand
  47. Aug 29, 2012
    I've been playing MMORPGs since the days of Asheron's Call. Rarely now do I find a new title as engaging as Guild Wars 2. Everywhere I go in the game I stumble into fun, the hours roll by and never do I feel like I am grinding. The dynamic events have been a joy and the combat refreshing. The trinity is gone and I could not be happier. On top of all of that no subscription fee. My one andI've been playing MMORPGs since the days of Asheron's Call. Rarely now do I find a new title as engaging as Guild Wars 2. Everywhere I go in the game I stumble into fun, the hours roll by and never do I feel like I am grinding. The dynamic events have been a joy and the combat refreshing. The trinity is gone and I could not be happier. On top of all of that no subscription fee. My one and only complaint at this time is WVW drags down the FPS a bit, but never to unplayable levels. If you like MMOs, buy this game... Expand
  48. Aug 29, 2012
    I've been playing this since the early days of beta, and I'm happy to have played the Head Start for the last few days. There have been a few launch issues (downed trading post, unevenly matched WvW, etc.), but I'm not going to factor any of those minor quibbles into my review since they are easily fixed.

As an grown-up gamer with a 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM job and a wife, it's been harder and harder to justify and maintain my love of MMOs. I cancelled my World of Warcraft account in 2010 because I didn't have time (and quite frankly got bored of the constant raiding, grinding, repeating process). Since then I've tried Rift, Tera, Lord of the Rings Online, D&D Online, and numerous other MMOs, hoping to recapture the magic I had lost with WoW, and hoping they had systems to cater to the less-than-consistent player that I am. Unfortunately, none offered what I wanted.

Then along comes Guild Wars 2. Not only does the gameplay lend well to jumping in for an hour at a time (dynamic events, quests, etc.), but the game also provides good incentive to explore and enjoy the world (Vistas, POIs, etc.). Not feeling like grinding out a level? That's fine; try and see all the locations on the map. You get achievements, EXP, and items for exploring 100%. I've seen some reviews that indicate that the actual combat is "nothing revolutionary", but I'm not sure if they actually PLAYED the game or just wanted to complain. The dodge mechanic (which WORKS, contrary to several reviews on here) is an integral part of the experience. As an Engineer I use is constantly to avoid damage and gain distance between enemies and myself. It's not on the level of TERA in terms of active combat, but it's still a leap ahead.

The hotbar (a staple of most MMOs) is still present and changes skills depending on the weapon you're using. For an engineer I have different abilities for pistols (dual and single wielding with shield), rifles, and any kits I might be using (flamethrower, tool kit, etc.). It's an amazing breath of fresh air to have your skills be determined by whatever weapon you're holding in your hand. That said, there are only 5 major skills (beyond utility, healing, etc.) for each weapon. You'll learn those skills VERY well over the course of 80 levels, which might irk some people.

My only minor complaint with the game (and why I gave it a 9) is that while they minimized the grinding within the game, it's still present. It's a different form, but still there. In order to keep up with the zones and story quests I needed to do all the dynamic events I possibly could, explore 100% of the map, craft, and clear every "heart" (essentially quest hubs) for all the zones I've been through so far. Some may dismiss that as "part of MMOs", but does it need to be? There have been numerous forums conversations (even with the developers) to address this, and I appreciate their willingness to accept positive criticism to make the game better.

All-in-all, I look forward to playing it for years to come. It's a solid buy for anyone who wants something new in their MMOs.
  49. Aug 29, 2012
    Epic game, character conversation that I would normally pass by, living world, amazing art, combat system, using your brain, discovery, mechanic, sound, challenge, puzzles, community, magnificent launch, personal story, different starting zones for all races, choices, questing, exploring, crafting, free to play with no pay to win items from cashshop, endless endgame-game in lower zonesEpic game, character conversation that I would normally pass by, living world, amazing art, combat system, using your brain, discovery, mechanic, sound, challenge, puzzles, community, magnificent launch, personal story, different starting zones for all races, choices, questing, exploring, crafting, free to play with no pay to win items from cashshop, endless endgame-game in lower zones downgrade you to appropriate level so there is ALWAYS a challenge, AMAZING, guild management, guild upgrading, PvP, world PvP.

Now, if you have WoW Syndrome, you will be in trouble, because this game force you to use your brain.
  50. Aug 29, 2012
    They really hit the mark with this one. From the masterpiece artwork, to the intense pvp. The world versus world battles are of epic scale. Just strolling through the world Immerses you in so many ways. Plus to top it off, no subs. Things will never be the same in mmos.
  51. Aug 29, 2012
    This game is fantastic. I created an account on here just to write this review because ArenaNet deserves all the praise they get. I thought I would never play an MMO as I always liked FPS and every time I tried to get into them I always felt like it was grinding and boring and that really had little appeal. Every time I play this game there is an event going on in every part of the map.This game is fantastic. I created an account on here just to write this review because ArenaNet deserves all the praise they get. I thought I would never play an MMO as I always liked FPS and every time I tried to get into them I always felt like it was grinding and boring and that really had little appeal. Every time I play this game there is an event going on in every part of the map. The amount of focus the creators put on players helping out other players makes this game something truly special. You want to help a downed friend, not just because of the XP but because you've been there too and you know once you get that player up you can kill more together. The worlds are amazingly beautiful works of art as well. My first few days I just spent exploring because the thought put into designing the maps is just astounding. This game is hands down the best $60 I've ever spent. If you're a FPS only kind of guy and never thought you could play an MMO I highly recommend giving this one a try, you'll be glad you did. I sure am. Expand
  52. Aug 29, 2012
    I followed the development of this game for years.
    I played all betas and I can say that the game delivers what it promises.
    I followed the development of this game for years.
    I played all betas and I can say that the game delivers what it promises.

Some problems occurred at launch, worse than in betas, but this is normal in any launch of a massive online game. Even with these problems the servers are full and yet I had no trouble logging in, the game has no queue, when an area is full you is sent to overflow server to play the game while waiting for a vacancy on the real server, all what you do in the overflow is kept on your character, that's wonderful! The dynamic event system is also wonderful but not when you have over 100 people on it, when people spread the maps we can see how the events are fun with a reasonable amount of people, and how the events change the world! Many people make the events and leave the place without waiting a few minutes to see the change happening! The world seems Alive! NPCs have their tasks, they do not stand around waiting for the player, they do things without players!

ArenaNet made no changes to spoil the game. If someone bought the game thinking that something is wrong then it should not have bought! They will not make drastic changes in their combat, PVP and quest systems to please the haters, just some tweaks that all MMOs have.

The game delivers what it promises, then people should read up on the features before buying.
    One thing that you will only find with it on hands is that it is fun, but you need to learn how to play, do not play it thinking you know everything because you're a veteran of other MMOs
  53. Aug 29, 2012
    Overwhelming! I've already logged over ten hours and feel like I've just scratched the surface. Gorgeous artwork - I feel like I'm actually playing a cut-scene. Character creation on all five species is amazing. And unlike the first Guild Wars, the writing here is really clever. Take time to stop and talk to the NPC's. Especially the Asura, who are downright hilarious. Even if youOverwhelming! I've already logged over ten hours and feel like I've just scratched the surface. Gorgeous artwork - I feel like I'm actually playing a cut-scene. Character creation on all five species is amazing. And unlike the first Guild Wars, the writing here is really clever. Take time to stop and talk to the NPC's. Especially the Asura, who are downright hilarious. Even if you don't do any missions, just loiter and eavesdrop. Soak up the local color, and THEN go off questing. Expand
  54. Aug 29, 2012
    Finally a game where the focus is in the adventure itself, not in the item level of the gear you wear!
    Guild Wars 2 gives the players a beautiful, lovingly crafted world to be explored. The graphics are gorgeous and the game's unique art style is brought to life in amazing detail. The combat is fluid and skill based and in SPvP you'll win because you're a better player than the other, not because your gear has more stats in it. The world is vast and there is always something to do, actually the best way to level is to just wander around and explore the world as you gain experience from gathering, events, crafting and finding locations.

Of course every game has its flaws as no game is perfect, but for me the recipe of Guild Wars 2 is spot on. The combat is challenging but still very enjoyable once you get the hang of it, you'll need to think of it more akin to Dark Souls instead of typical MMOs, you can't just stand there and take those hits after the first zone. Dynamic Events are basically randomly occurring chain quests that have different branches on success and failure, but they've been so well made that it's hard to complain. Jumping Puzzles may be insanely hard for some (I love them though), but they're completely optional, you're not forced to do them if you don't want to. Actually the great thing about this game is that almost everything is optional, you can do what you enjoy instead of being forced to do something else. You like PvP? You'll have lvl 80 character and equal gear with everyone else from lvl 1. Enjoy WvW? You can level there, everything you need from experience to gear can be gained in the eternal battlegrounds. You happen to be a pacifist? Crafting, gathering and exploration both give loads of experience.

tl;dr: Guild Wars 2 is a beautiful game which has something for everyone, it may not re-invent the whole MMO-genre completely but it does everything so perfectly that it's hard to not enjoy it. Of course some may dislike certain aspects of the game but for me this is the game I've been waiting for years, the game of adventure and...fun! When my biggest personal complaints about the game are the lack of first person camera and the difficulty of choosing the profession to play as they're all equally fantastic, you know I'm forced to give it a 10.
  55. Aug 29, 2012
    A lot of effort went into every detail. You can tell this game was made with love and patience. The art is outstanding, the gameplay hard and innovative, and there is so much to do. As a completionist i cant leave an area without checking it all and its so worth it. Even the crafting is fun.
  56. Aug 30, 2012
    It's rare to have my expectations for a game met. While the launch hasn't been without it's problems, this is the best game I have played in the last decade. I love doing everything in it so far. Played all 3 beta weekends and bought the collector's edition. It's refreshing to have a gaming company that's willing to put user experience before profits. A company of gamers for gamers :D
  57. Sep 12, 2012
    Hands down the greatest game I've ever played, and I have close to a thousand titles under my belt. Not sure why, but the critic score is lower than I expected...
  58. Aug 29, 2012
    THIS GAME IS THE NEXT STEP IN THE MMO GENRE, being a experience MMO player and played wow for more than 5 years with other mmos in between, I can tell this is the only game that can provide the same amount of fun I had as the first mmo ever played. The world is alive, you'll never get bored and there's always something to do!
  59. Aug 29, 2012
    In a genre dominated by World of Warcraft and other similar games Guild Wars 2 is refreshingly different. It ditches static tank and heal group gameplay for action based gameplay. No subscription fee means the game does not have to introduce tedious but psychologically addictive gameplay to keep its player base. Instead I'm playing simply because it's engaging and above all embodies what aIn a genre dominated by World of Warcraft and other similar games Guild Wars 2 is refreshingly different. It ditches static tank and heal group gameplay for action based gameplay. No subscription fee means the game does not have to introduce tedious but psychologically addictive gameplay to keep its player base. Instead I'm playing simply because it's engaging and above all embodies what a game should be and what the rest of the MMO genre is lacking: FUN! Expand
  60. Aug 29, 2012
    I don't understand the nitpicking from the reviews previously posted. This game is phenomenal. First off: this game looks amazing. Not amazing because it looks incredibly realistic, but because of the art style that the developers chose to pursue. I'm not entirely sure what some of these other authors were looking for in terms of graphics but quite honestly, either they're playing aI don't understand the nitpicking from the reviews previously posted. This game is phenomenal. First off: this game looks amazing. Not amazing because it looks incredibly realistic, but because of the art style that the developers chose to pursue. I'm not entirely sure what some of these other authors were looking for in terms of graphics but quite honestly, either they're playing a different game or are playing on a very outdated rig. From distance, structures and landscapes look like concept art. The idea is amazing. When's the last time you played an MMO with the graphics of Crysis? I'm not trying to say that Guild Wars 2 is a leader in the category, but it certainly does NOT fall short.

As far as connectivity issues goes, I played all throughout the three day head start on a mediocre internet connection and had very few problems. Even such, this was the smoothest launch that I've been apart of (Cataclysm, Diablo 3, Tera, Rift). Giving this game a 1 rating because the pre-launch head start was a little rocky? That's a bit critical. You're not even paying a monthly fee to play the game and you're still complaining. I absolutely hate the idea of rating a game based off of other reviews, but unfortunately I feel the need to counter out the unneeded negative reviews given by authors who obviously have other problems with the game. I would otherwise give the game a 9.
  61. Aug 29, 2012
    I am scoring GW2 a 10 despite the minor issues with the trading post and forums being down because it is simply an amazing game. It is visually stunning and just plain fun to play. And, I have not even tried the PvP aspect which I am looking forward to experiencing. GW2 literally has me at PvE. But, the biggest factor for me is the design. The elimination of the trinity, the fact thatI am scoring GW2 a 10 despite the minor issues with the trading post and forums being down because it is simply an amazing game. It is visually stunning and just plain fun to play. And, I have not even tried the PvP aspect which I am looking forward to experiencing. GW2 literally has me at PvE. But, the biggest factor for me is the design. The elimination of the trinity, the fact that it is B2P, the focus on skill over gear, the questing system, dynamic events, accessibility due to way points and the beautiful art direction make GW2 a game that I want to support as well play. I hope that other developers take a good look at GW2. I genuinely believe that this is the direction that MMOs should take going forward. Expand
  62. Aug 29, 2012
    This is the best mmo ive ever played, nothing can beat the awesomeness level of guild wars 2. If you're not playing this game you are missing on your mmo life. Anyway, buy it now and i need to go back to guild wars 2 because im wasting my in game time.
  63. Aug 29, 2012
    - No subscription fee -
    - An ever changing PvE world -True action combat - Your level scale to zone - No more tank-healer-dps role system
    - No more grinding to level before I can start PvP - Skill based pvp where no more grinding for PvP gears so I can steam roll others or others can steam roll me because they have higher PvP rank and playing longer than me (sPvP) - Huge PvPvE world
    - No subscription fee -
    - Huge PvPvE world with myriad of different objectives (W v W v W)
    - Huge PvE maps and a lot of zones to explore

What else can you asked? This game worth every penny of your dollar spent to purchase the box.
  64. Aug 30, 2012
    Great game. Some launch issues, but a better launch than many other recent games. If you want to rush through the level treadmill and do large-scale end-game raiding, this isn't your game. If you're about the journey, you'll like this game.
  65. Aug 30, 2012
    I'll admit, at first I was skeptical about Guild Wars 2. My overall impression of the gameplay and information collected by internet sources made me think this game had a lot of promise. Problem is, I felt that way about a lot of MMO's that also emanated "Promise". Turns out this is actually quite a fantastic game. Not to mention F2P? I mean come on. The concern people express in theirI'll admit, at first I was skeptical about Guild Wars 2. My overall impression of the gameplay and information collected by internet sources made me think this game had a lot of promise. Problem is, I felt that way about a lot of MMO's that also emanated "Promise". Turns out this is actually quite a fantastic game. Not to mention F2P? I mean come on. The concern people express in their negative views is quite minimal. Okay, lets get this straight, this isn't going to be some ground breaking "New Age" of MMO where everyone is going to go ape sh*t over it. If you've never played an MMO you might not like it...on the other hand you might fall in love with it. Its a quality game, combats fun, visuals are good, voice acting is okay, but most of all the community is awesome! 9/10. Finally an MMO WORTH my time. Expand
  66. Aug 31, 2012
    GW2 is an excellent mix of some of the best features of many predecessor MMOs, combined with a frenetic combat style that is more about using the right ability at the right time than watching your cooldowns. It's hard to describe the experience of playing this game, except to say that once you start, you're so pulled along by the temptations of one more dynamic event popping up, or oneGW2 is an excellent mix of some of the best features of many predecessor MMOs, combined with a frenetic combat style that is more about using the right ability at the right time than watching your cooldowns. It's hard to describe the experience of playing this game, except to say that once you start, you're so pulled along by the temptations of one more dynamic event popping up, or one more vista to try to find, or one more skill challenge nearby, that you find yourself not noticing that you've levelled, or what time it is. It's the first mmo I've played that has been so perfectly, intuitively designed in such a way to encourage and reward cooperation - no stealing each other's loot or nodes, no being on different stages of quests; if you're in the area you're assisting other people in what they're doing by default, and you even get XP for rezzing downed players.

The game has some technical flaws right now, with outages of the auction house and mail system, and some issues with getting together on the same shard as your groupmates - but these are visibly clearing up as the launch frenzy goes on. I can't honestly base my review on these temporary factors. The only real criticisms I can make is that sometimes, tuning can seem off - the scaling of some dynamic events, in particular, can go from too easy to rediculous hard, and some areas of the world have respawn rates that are so rediculous you can find yourself backing up into monsters you just looted.

All in all? Buy. The game world is lusciously detailed, the sound is lovely, and the cash shop contains little more than fluff. I can see so many of the interface and user-experience features that GW2 comes with becoming absolute must-have standards for future releases.
  67. Aug 30, 2012
    Sequel to the first and it keeps the great formula going. No subscription fee, cash shop that allows you to buy boosts for PvE and cosmetic stuff. The shop works in a way that you exchange game currency for store currency thus you can buy everything you'd want by just playing the game, no need for cash (though it is faster to do so ofcourse).
    And naturally you could also spend the money
    And naturally you could also spend the money you would normally spend on a subscription fee and get some goodies for it instead!

The main gripes I keep hearing about are no endgame PvE. Thus you get bored.
    I personally have been max level for some days now and I'm simply enjoying the crafting, getting achievements, PVP'ing and I started another class as an alt.
    The PvE is also quite good with the 5 man instances. Exploration mode is fantastic and a good challenge!

Plus with the no subscription fee you can put it aside and resume any time you want.

So far so good!
  68. Aug 30, 2012
    Deserves a 9.5. Ive played almost every MMO since UO in 97. Each game had its perks:
    Shadowbane: city building and ruthless pvp
    Horizons: best player housing ever made (own premade plots of land, not like UO where it was citysprawl) Warcraft: pve gods. look back at 2004 reviews. they made the MMO accessible to 'nongamers'. Just to name a few that left a good impression. For
    Shadowbane: city building and ruthless pvp

Just to name a few that left a good impression.

For GW2, this game gave everything I was getting bored with in an MMO a new look. Grouping, no more node stealing, COMMUNITY! (server pride), discoveries in crafting, and PVP... crazy pvp goodness.

I cant tell you how great it is to be able to dodge and use position, to fight an elite that will 2 shot you and, with proper skill use and dodging, be able to bring it down. Very satisfying. (I went back to other MMO's after the guildwars2 beta ended so I could kill the MMO itch i had until GW2 was released. It suddenly felt strange to not be able to get out of the way of an incoming attack, couldn't actively block an attack i knew that was on its way to hit me. Basically i wasn't rewarded for being aware of the next move)

And teamwork: everyone can rez (get exp for helping), everyone gets credit for helping bring down a mob, etc. You get rewarded for helping each other. but never forced to.

TLDR: Overall the game feels like the next step in MMO's. I believe future MMOs will continue with dynamic events/questing. combat will be more involved and personal stories will be the norm. Not saying these are revolutionary and all new ideas, but much like warcraft did in 2004, gw2 brings in the best ideas into 1 game and adds to it. 2 thumbs up! see you in game
  69. Aug 30, 2012
    Yes, the game has problems on release, which will like most mmos, be fixed in due time. If there was a less flawed release, then the review would me a 10. This game encompasses such fine attention to detail, from the way a character stands on uneven ground whilst fighting, to the branching (and I'm not talking single figures here) story-lines. I will be playing this game for years toYes, the game has problems on release, which will like most mmos, be fixed in due time. If there was a less flawed release, then the review would me a 10. This game encompasses such fine attention to detail, from the way a character stands on uneven ground whilst fighting, to the branching (and I'm not talking single figures here) story-lines. I will be playing this game for years to come, and it's by far superior to any competitors, subscription based or not. Expand
  70. Aug 30, 2012
    I signed up for an account here specifically to review this game. This is the best MMO I
  71. Aug 30, 2012
    GW2 will win GOTY 2012. Basically aside from the launch issues... when it works it's fun as hell! Very addicting gameplay. Anything you do in the game is interesting and engaging. ANet will constantly be improving the game so it's just going to get better and better! Worth every penny and I am already thinking about what new content and expansions will come out in the future. Goodbye realGW2 will win GOTY 2012. Basically aside from the launch issues... when it works it's fun as hell! Very addicting gameplay. Anything you do in the game is interesting and engaging. ANet will constantly be improving the game so it's just going to get better and better! Worth every penny and I am already thinking about what new content and expansions will come out in the future. Goodbye real life. Hello GW2! Expand
  72. Sep 2, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is the most fun I've ever had playing an MMO, and I may end up deciding it's the most fun I've ever had with any video game.

To provide some context, I've played Ultima Online, Wow, the original Guild Wars, and SWTOR. For a variety of reasons, none of them kept my interest for too long. GW1 showed promise but didn't feel like the full-fledged MMO I was looking for. Then

Then GW2 came along. It retains all of the best parts of GW1 (the environments, emphasis on skills, etc.) and improves on everything the original got wrong. GW2 is fully persistent, has improved crafting, improved presentation, improved questing (i.e. "dynamic events"), open-world PvP ("WvW"), and still doesn't have a subscription fee. This is a big point for someone like me with a job that demands long hours and a six-month-old. I play when I have time, and if I don't have time, I don't have to worry about "wasting" $15 per month. Also, the level of polish is extraordinary. You may say that many of the features listed above aren't new, and that's true. But they all work so well that they still feel refreshing.

There are other little things that really increase my enjoyment in game. These include being able to deposit collectibles into the bank from anywhere in the world, fast travel, and getting experience rewards for just about everything. It's hard to imagine playing an MMO without these features after having experienced them.

Perhaps my favorite improvement is the combat. Gone are the days of staring at my skill bar and going through rotations. Just as ArenaNet intended, I find myself actually watching the fight, using skills on the fly as appropriate, dodging, and focusing on positioning. It may not seem like much, but considering that a big part of any MMO is combat, these improvements make the game much more fun than the other MMOs I've played.

Is there any room for improvement? Of course, The trading post was down for a while (but is up now), and there have been a few bugs to work out, but: (a) that's to be expected with any MMO launch; and (b) it hasn't detracted from my enjoyment of the game. Simply put, I've had an absolute blast every second I've spent in GW2.

One final thing I want to say is about the reviewers who are complaining about bans and giving the game a zero. THIS IS A GOOD THING. 99.9% of people who play the game will never have to worry about being banned because they won't pick racist character names or intentionally exploit bugs, thereby ruining the economy for others. And make no mistake, the people who were banned were intentionally exploiting things. ArenaNet stated that the only people who were permanently banned were exploiting the same bug hundreds of times, and the bug itself was that rare gear was priced at 1/1000th of its normal price. If you bought something hundreds of times at 1/1000th of its normal price, you knew what you were doing and have no excuse. For the rest of us, we should be thrilled that ArenaNet is sticking to their guns and preserving the integrity of the game for the non-exploiters at the expense of a few 0's on Metacritic.

Bottom line: if you have even a passing interest in MMOs, get this game. And if you don't, watch a couple videos and read some more reviews, and if you're at all interested, get the game. Without a subscription fee, GW2 is a relatively low-risk purchase with a ton of upside.
  73. Aug 31, 2012
    This game is everything it was hyped up to be. It is a gorgeous and lush fantasy world, with tons of exploration to be had. Dynamic events/heart events allow for a very smooth and unique grind (it doesnt seem like a grind, because what you do changes the world around you). This is not a game that you want to rush to max level in. Take your time, explore, have fun.

You know what's great?

You know what's great? You dont have to level if you dont want to!! You can head straight to max level pvp if that is what you enjoy! Or, you could do WvWvW and level while doing pvp. This is what you are headed for if you buy this game (personal experience):
    I was looking for a Point of Interest on the map which was located behind a waterfall in an underground cavern. I ended up traveling to the wrong of the creek by accident and went into a different cavern. While there i met a random person on an overflow server, and we found ourselves scaling and platforming down about 300 feet. We kill the misc. monsters and continued another 200 yards through the cavern and popped out at the other end of the map. There, we snagged some strawberries from the pasture and nabbed a view point that had us looking out over the vast ocean.

My favorite thing however about this game is the Mass Effect style personal story.

Pros:
    Gorgeous looking game in every aspect.
    Script writing is bar none in any MMO and rivals that of strict RPG's
    Combat is 60% skill based, 40% gear (good balance) in pve, and 100% skill based in pvp
    15 hour long WvWvW battles
    Dynamic events
  74. Aug 31, 2012
    An excellent breath of fresh air in the field of MMO's: While not ground breakingly different from the standard formula it does more than enough to keep both MMO veterans, and new comers alike entertained for hours on end.
  75. Aug 31, 2012
    Too many people giving this game an undeserved zero. While the worse elements of this game could be rated as low as a 7.5, the best elements could easily be given a perfect 10. Having scrutinized this game over anything and everything, my rating would range from 8.5 to 9.5, with my consistent rating at 9.25. My advice for anyone reading user reviews, ignore anyone who put down a zero. ReadToo many people giving this game an undeserved zero. While the worse elements of this game could be rated as low as a 7.5, the best elements could easily be given a perfect 10. Having scrutinized this game over anything and everything, my rating would range from 8.5 to 9.5, with my consistent rating at 9.25. My advice for anyone reading user reviews, ignore anyone who put down a zero. Read what people wrote who gave this game anywhere from a 6 to a 9, as their reviews aren't driven off some immature emotional outcry. Also, if you are still unsure about this game, wait a while. Watch videos, read reviews, read about the classes and gameplay. If you are still on the fence, don't buy it, or play it at a friends house. Just don't buy it and rate it a zero for no real reason, as no game really deserves a 0 unless it flat out does not work. Expand
  76. Aug 31, 2012
    I'm choosing to rate this game a 10 not because I think it is a perfect game, but rather because it is the most fun playing an MMORPG I have ever had. The game does a good job of retaining what makes MMO's great while innovating and finding new and creative ways to deliver content to players. Rather than the standard actionbar keypressing combat, we instead have a system that allows forI'm choosing to rate this game a 10 not because I think it is a perfect game, but rather because it is the most fun playing an MMORPG I have ever had. The game does a good job of retaining what makes MMO's great while innovating and finding new and creative ways to deliver content to players. Rather than the standard actionbar keypressing combat, we instead have a system that allows for dodging and one can use all of their abilities while moving. Instead of a traditional party system with tank, healer, and DPS (where really most people only want to do damage) we have abolished the trinity system and have replaced it with damage dealing classes and support classes, all fun player options that makes grouping up for dungeons easy and fun. Instead of the traditional questing structure of heading to a hub, picking up a huge bundle of quests, completing them all, and returning them, progressing through an environment in this game involves doing a combination of different events including exploration and platforming challenges as well as dynamic events and Guild Wars 2's answer to quests, reknown hearts. The game also takes a unique approach to PVE with the absolutely massive boss battles and invasions one can take up arms against as they wander throughout the world in the form of dynamic events. The game's PvP content is also innovative, including an awesome server-vs-server-vs-server option where three servers duke it out. These battles can get absolutely massive - even classic "Huge" battlefields in MMOs like old school Alterac Valley from WoW or Warhammer's massive battlegrounds don't compare. Then there are the small details - the little things that improve the game even more. The personal story is a nice touch to add some context to the game, the graphics and sound design are beautiful, being de-leveled upon entering lower level zones to be able to complete the content without feeling too powerful makes group play easy and allows you to play whatever you want whenever you want, having the ability to immediately deposit the items you collect for crafting into a tab of the bank from anywhere in the world is genius, and having an overflow server that prevents players from having to sit in a que just to play the game are all little strokes of awesome that make this game great.

To top it all off, unlike other MMO's once one purchases this game there are no subscription fees whatsoever, and the cash shop in no way is pay for power. It's an incredible value that I would be willing to pay 15 dollars a month for if it were subscription-based.

This is the most fun I've had playing an MMO in ages, and I think a lot of people share my opinion as I can see by the high user score (especially for an MMO, SWTOR and WoW expansions usually get yellow and red user scores) not to mention a really nice critic score thus far. I can't wait to see what will be happening to this wonderful game in the future.
  77. Aug 31, 2012
    I started Guild Wars 2 a skeptic. It looked like WoW, controlled like WoW, and follows the same basic structure that revolutionized the genre, but grew stale (for me) over the years. Comparisons to WoW are definitely fair, but somehow Guild Wars 2 makes everything fresh and fun again. The ability to instantly teleport to any waypoint you have visited is incredible. The action packedI started Guild Wars 2 a skeptic. It looked like WoW, controlled like WoW, and follows the same basic structure that revolutionized the genre, but grew stale (for me) over the years. Comparisons to WoW are definitely fair, but somehow Guild Wars 2 makes everything fresh and fun again. The ability to instantly teleport to any waypoint you have visited is incredible. The action packed combat feels like more then a numbers game. You don't just stand next to your foe exchanging blows and cycling skills. Rather, you jump and dodge, switching weapons on the fly. Colossal world bosses inhabit even the starting zones, and I love the jumping puzzles (essentially platforming segments) that inhabit hidden caves and lead to treasure. The way that higher level characters get downleveled in lower zones in brilliant. It makes it fun to run around with friends that are higher/lower level then you. When you face a boss, you both get to contribute (instead of a max level character one shotting it for you). So yes, I give this a 10. I wanted to be disappointed by this one, but I'm having a blast so far. Expand
  78. Sep 1, 2012
    It is questionable as to whether GW2 got rid of the dreadful grinding concept of the MMOs. ( I find myself repeating the same things over and over to fill up a heart) What isn't doubtful though is the brilliant and exciting cover-up of such mundane norm of the mmo convention. I may have been repeating the same things, but was NEVER bored. The more-realistic combat system, gorgeousIt is questionable as to whether GW2 got rid of the dreadful grinding concept of the MMOs. ( I find myself repeating the same things over and over to fill up a heart) What isn't doubtful though is the brilliant and exciting cover-up of such mundane norm of the mmo convention. I may have been repeating the same things, but was NEVER bored. The more-realistic combat system, gorgeous atmosphere, uniquely orchestrated sounds, never-the-same dynamic events were all happening simultaneously while I was satisfyingly watching my quest bar go up. (interesting note, they don't just say kill 10 bazingas and the numbers show up, but an abstract progress to how far you have "assisted" the frog people) So in a sense, they did kill the grinding system because players won't notice it that well, and even if they do, they won't care because the experience was so good. All in all, Guild Wars 2 is a fantastic of its genre, very innovative, and has taken a first big step to a mmo revolution. In the future, people will ask you, " do you WoW, or GW2?" Expand
  79. Sep 1, 2012
    Many of tje negative reviews here are personal issues, rather than true reviews of the game. Sad really. If you review at least say you do not like the graphics or mechanics, something objective. Anyhow, Guild Wars 2 in my humble opinion is simply awesome. Easily worth $60 investment and perhaps even some cash shop appearance items. Who can resist a few cool or cute minis following youMany of tje negative reviews here are personal issues, rather than true reviews of the game. Sad really. If you review at least say you do not like the graphics or mechanics, something objective. Anyhow, Guild Wars 2 in my humble opinion is simply awesome. Easily worth $60 investment and perhaps even some cash shop appearance items. Who can resist a few cool or cute minis following you around. The best part of the cash shop is that there are no items in it that are needed t play play the game to its fullest. Its simply cosmetic or convenient. I think the look in the world is awesome. I've caught myself just looking around in awe more than once. Coming out of one particular shore town I walked out on to the beachand rounding rock cropping there on the water line, I looked up to see in the distances across the water a huge floating rock island with a castle on it. Mega awesome moment. The graphics are not state of the art, using older tech, but the way Anet uses that tech is stunning. And optimized for even slightly older machines. I use 5i intel with Nvidia 460GTX average fps is in the 60s. Do not listen to the griefers or the haters. Buy this game and enjoy the sovial aspect of the game. Play at your own speed. A++ Expand
  80. Sep 12, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is fun. However...
    If you rush to max level (PvE only) thinking that's where the "fun" starts, then you may hate this game.
    There is no rush, there is no endgame. There is no monthly fee. The game is like Skyrim, by that I mean the journey is the fun, not the ending. Or it's like a good book. What? I will try to explain. The best books can't be opened to the last chapter
    Guild Wars 2 is fun. However...
    There is no rush, there is no endgame. There is no monthly fee.
    The game is like Skyrim, by that I mean the journey is the fun, not the ending.
    Or it's like a good book. What? I will try to explain. The best books can't be opened to the last chapter and enjoyed. It's the journey and the experience to get to the end that is entertaining. Same with GW2.

Play it, don't rush and enjoy the journey, not the ending.

Don't like to read? OK
    Do you like to have sex? It's not the squirt at the end that makes it fun, it's getting there and everything in between that's the fun. The squirt is just the ending.
    PvP is flat out fun. No uber gear to pwn nubs. All are equal. It's all how you play.

There are issues but what massive mmo does not have those.
    Anet is working to fix the issues and doing a fine job so far (15 days from launch and there is a patch every day)

For a flat fee and a game that can entertain for years, this is one bad ass game!
  81. Sep 2, 2012
    A game based completely on having FUN. FUN! Dynamic PvE events, an awesome exploration system, incredible artwork that saturates the game and a great dev/community relationship. Guild Wars 2 is an awesome MMO for those who hate grinding and just want to have fun.
  82. ZDB
    Sep 2, 2012
    Despite a few flaws at launch, this game is the new gold standard for MMORPGs. I've been playing MMORPGs since Ultima Online and no game has provided the amount of entertainment that Guild Wars 2 has in the brief time that I've played it. Some games might have done certain elements better; WoW has better dungeons, SWToR had a better story, but those games were seriously lacking outside ofDespite a few flaws at launch, this game is the new gold standard for MMORPGs. I've been playing MMORPGs since Ultima Online and no game has provided the amount of entertainment that Guild Wars 2 has in the brief time that I've played it. Some games might have done certain elements better; WoW has better dungeons, SWToR had a better story, but those games were seriously lacking outside of their strengths. Guild Wars 2 has the total package: fun PvE with epic world bosses, PvP that is well balanced and addicting, and a story that draws you in and immerses you in the lore of the world. Oh and did I mention it looks fantastic? Expand
  83. Sep 2, 2012
    The game is amazing. One of my biggest concern with most games is combat. I've played ToR, Aion, and Rift. One of the things i hated about most of those games was the combat. especially ToR. Some abilities would have the animation take priority over the effect, so you would basically use and "instant cast" stun but it's animation would take 2 seconds! To some this isn't really a big dealThe game is amazing. One of my biggest concern with most games is combat. I've played ToR, Aion, and Rift. One of the things i hated about most of those games was the combat. especially ToR. Some abilities would have the animation take priority over the effect, so you would basically use and "instant cast" stun but it's animation would take 2 seconds! To some this isn't really a big deal but to me it's pretty game breaking especially in PvP. One of the major reasons I kept going back to WoW was because of the combat, it just flows way better than any of those games. Guild Wars 2 combat isn't as great in terms of flow but the way its structured is really good. You run around with 2 weapon sets (1 for elementalists but you get 4 elements to swap through instead) and you swap them around during combat. You can really customize your play style by having a burst combination in set and a tanky combo in the other or w/e you like. The pvp in this game is also amazing. The sPvP is really putting an emphasis on skill rather than gear as everyone has equivalent gear. World vs. World vs. World pvp is HUUUUUUUUUUUGE think of like 4 or 5 Tol' Borads put together. Although you can only zone into one of the four areas it is still pretty big area. Combat and more specifically PvP are an important part for me playing an MMO and this game has great combat and great PvP. If you're like me and enjoy these aspects of the game I really do recommend this game. I mean even Arena Net are hosting their own tournaments for this game and have high hopes of it becoming an eSport. Expand
  84. Sep 2, 2012
    First MMORPG I've truly enjoyed since oldschool Star Wars Galaxies. Tyria is utterly gorgeous, and yet it's not the kind of resource hog you find in games like Age of Conan - the setpieces are absolute art, and everything is very efficiently rendered. The gameplay itself is a breath of fresh air. Everything feels fluid and natural - for once I can explore areas at my leisure, go follow myFirst MMORPG I've truly enjoyed since oldschool Star Wars Galaxies. Tyria is utterly gorgeous, and yet it's not the kind of resource hog you find in games like Age of Conan - the setpieces are absolute art, and everything is very efficiently rendered. The gameplay itself is a breath of fresh air. Everything feels fluid and natural - for once I can explore areas at my leisure, go follow my friends around and just enjoy the game world without worrying about quest "chore" lists. I'm just getting into pvp, but so far it seems like it'll be fun and challenging, and not entirely dependant on gear. Another amazing aspect of this game is that it's free to play after purchasing the box. You're probably thinking, "Oh, well that means it'll be full of flashy, obnoxious cash shop buttons and pay-to-win gear." I'm extremely pleased to inform you of the contrary. The in-game gem store is not only subtle and polite, but it is filled with legitimately interesting cosmetic and convenience-providing items that in no-way harm the balance of the game.

The only downsides I can think of so far are related to the growing pains that any newly-released MMORPG is guaranteed to experience, but even those aren't that bad compared to other launches in my recent memory. Almost every "issue" GW2 is currently facing is related to the extreme burden placed on their network by the million + people enjoying the game. Over the week, secondary game features such as the trade post and mail system have been sporadically unavailable, but it's clear that they are making great progress in getting those services back up. If you're burnt out from the tedium and grind of linear themepark MMOs, take it from me: you should definitely check out Guild Wars 2.
  85. Dec 6, 2012
    This game just suits me perfectly, being an MMO with a beautiful, hand-crafted world containing enjoyable PvE for smaller groups and the lack of a gear treadmill. SPvP is easy to jump into having all the necessary equipment at one's disposal, and WvWvW always interests me.
  86. Sep 3, 2012
    I think we already know a lot about GW2 so I'm only going to focus on somethings that might be confusing for people. [--A--] Game launches are unusually the peak performance you expect for a game (Take this into account for many negative reviews). [--B--] The combat system is neither stale nor overly hard. You can't expect to play this like other MMOs (I know some have said it's overlyI think we already know a lot about GW2 so I'm only going to focus on somethings that might be confusing for people. [--A--] Game launches are unusually the peak performance you expect for a game (Take this into account for many negative reviews). [--B--] The combat system is neither stale nor overly hard. You can't expect to play this like other MMOs (I know some have said it's overly complicated, and others have said it's a re-hash of other games, but in all honesty I have not seen this kind of flexibility in other MMOs. You can kite and hide and sliver your opponent down. Or you can play smart and blind your opponent, interrupt major attacks and not even move. I've done it both ways. People just aren't giving this game a unique opportunity like they should.) [--C--] ANet is awesome. Somehow I think too many people have left out the love and care that this company has for their game. At one point during the launch week, they shut down their store. Now before you consider this a flaw, think about it this way: They said it was to stop current customers from experiencing lag. This store is also their (so to speak) business model. They don't have a subscription, they try to make money off the initial purchase but also from their in-game store. And they shut it down. For customers to experience less lag from the few customers who were buying too much from them. And the content isn't hard for them to add. In one Beta Weekend Event they created something solely for that weekend that took up many players the whole weekend and it only took ANet 3 hours to install it. From "idea" to "working game copy". It just can't be stressed that ANet wants you to play a game and enjoy the art that they've worked very hard on. I find it hard to critique them when what they aimed to do.... they did very well. Expand
  87. Sep 4, 2012
    I have to say, it's been a very long time since I've found so much enjoyment in a game. A long time since I got so much for my money. A long time since I can say I've truly enjoyed almost every aspect of a game. And that game is GW2. The game does have its flaws, but they're nothing major.

The combat is a little less 'actiony' than TERA but I welcome the change as I felt TERA was a little too 'all over the place' and chaotic. GW2 finds a nice balance between TERAs combat and WoWs combat. All classes heal themselves, can survive if you play them well and can be good at dealing damage. I have yet to see a situation where I went 'damn, I need an _____'. If I die, it's cause I failed to dodge, stood in AoE or ignored my heal.

Questing is a combination of Dynamic Events (events which happen in the world around you and often tell the story of a zone (centaur attacks, portals to the netherworld, ongoing struggle against dragon minions etc)) and Renown Hearts ('standard quests' marked by large hearts where you have several ways to help out locals, Renown Hearts generally tell the story of the people who live in their zone/their daily lives). Together, these make the game unique and interesting. I also have to say that it really rewards exploration and getting lost in the world.

Each race feels truly unique (and in 4/5 cases, unique to the genre itself) and classes all feel different (I love how a Warrior uses a Longbow differently than a Ranger). Some people are complaining that your first 5 skills are determined by your weapon, but I rather enjoy the concept of having a certain fighting style with a weapon versus it simply being a stat stick. I do however wish there were slightly more options within a weapon, just incase I didn;t like 1 out of 5 greatsword skills or wanted to change things up.

Perhaps the biggest current complaint is the supposed 'lack of endgame' but that's, in truth, almost a non-issue. If you take your time enjoying the game as you go, taking time to explore and craft and perhaps even jump into some World vs World vs World or structured PvP, you won't have to worry about any sort of grind and the game will feel plenty full. Pair that with 12 dungeons JUST for level 80 and a total of 32 dungeons in the game AS WELL AS continuing support from ANet in the way of added Dynamic Events and possibly even more dungeons or regions ASIDE from planned Expansions, and the game has a ton of stuff to do now, with more on the way.
  88. Rok
    Sep 5, 2012
    Others have already said it, even officially on reviewing websites, and I was one of the first to say it: yes, the long-awaited "WoW killer" is here! This doesn't mean that Blizzard will pack up and leave, but it means that WoW's near-monopoly, after 8 long years, is long gone now, thanks to Guild Wars 2.

This does [not] come from a Guild Wars or ArenaNet fanboy; on the contrary, I'm a WoW veteran who played WoW from day 1 EU release, and fell in love with WoW about 7 or 8 years ago, almost as much as I fell in love with Guild Wars 2 today! Believe me...if anyone can remember their excitement and love for WoW during the first week of release, hold that feeling and thought, and do know that GW2 can give you the same feeling [today]! If you let it.

Guild Wars 2 puts all the sins of WoW through the years in the trash can of gaming history: all the fighting, spite, ill-will, frustration, anger and hatred among players, fighting over the most trivial of things, like a metal ore node, or an epic drop...all that greed and spiteful competition that Blizzard bred in our hearts, turing WoW's community into one of the worst gaming communities around, with so many jerks and anti-social people moving around...even Blizzard's guild leadership policies today breed the worst feelings and can take away years of hard work and effort from a guild master if something happens in real life and they need to spend a prolonged period of time away from the game...that guild master can return to the game to find their guild simply gone! That's how far Blizzard has gone in creating a game that just literally breeds hatred, frustration, elitism, spiteful competition, and distrust in the hearts of its community. And frankly, I've been waiting for years now for a "WoW killer", at least personal one that can help get my social fun away from all this negativity. And that personal WoW killer is here, thanks to ArenaNet with their Guild Wars 2.

And let me tell you, I bought Guild Wars 1 at a bargain price, just to try it, and didn't like it at all. I bought Age of Conan, and it very quickly disappointed me. I never bought Rift because, although it was definitely a solid, polished, and fun game, it just felt like I'll be back to another WoW somehow. Never tried TERA because it was obviously a grind fest. Never bought The Secret World, even though I had hope in it in the very beginning; brilliant idea and nice creative new ideas, but unfortunately all gone to waste in bad graphics and uninspired or lackluster combat mechanics and feel...it's kind of like shooting a plastic gun compared to shooting the real thing at a shooting range, you know? SWTOR was lovely in many ways; I absolutely loved that each & every quest was spoken, loved the dialogue options in it, loved the romantic and partnership story twists that you can unearth while questing, but unfortunately, the graphics were uninspired and the combat, again, felt like shooting a plastic gun. After all those tries and years, finally Guild Wars 2 came along, with beautiful, awe-inspiring graphics (at least at the high settings with a gaming PC); lovely variety of world and personal quests (although they can certainly learn more from BioWare in this department and perfect the writing and storytelling further in GW2); soothing or motivating music; impressive sound effects, some of which have even already become iconic, like "Refreshing!", which is used by GuildHead as the punchline after the website name nowadays; and the icing of the cake, absolutely awesome combat mechanics [and] visuals...I'm telling you, just walking around killing stuff, without any NPC asking me, is sooo much fun in GW2! Combat is just inspiring and awesome in Guild War 2, literally! Whatever it is you choose to be, or whichever Profession (GW2's term for "class") you choose, combat just feels solid, awesome, and good, and [looks] good. If you are a Warrior wielding a two-handed hammer, it feels the whole freakin' ground is shaking once you land that final slam on the enemy; if you are a Ranger wielding a bow, everyone around you can see and hear your rain of arrows falling on groups of enemies; if you are an Engineer or Thief, dual-wielding pistols, you feel like a cowboy from the wild west just bam-bamming enemies; if you are an Elemental, you can see and hear your enemies wailing & see them flailing madly from your fire spells as they breath their last and roll on the ground then stop forever and ...all that, in any Profession, you are dodging attacks and strafing right & left (if you want) whichever spell or attack you're pulling. Combat in GW2...is...just...awesome!

Hey, see you in Tyria!
  89. Sep 5, 2012
    First off, I haven't played every MMO out there, but I have been playing MMOs since 1999 starting with UO. The next game I spent a ton of time on was WoW since launch. I have tried many other 'next big things' that turned out to be failures within the first couple months. They either faltered due to poor launch, inexperience, or just lack of content. With Guild Wars 2, those are notFirst off, I haven't played every MMO out there, but I have been playing MMOs since 1999 starting with UO. The next game I spent a ton of time on was WoW since launch. I have tried many other 'next big things' that turned out to be failures within the first couple months. They either faltered due to poor launch, inexperience, or just lack of content. With Guild Wars 2, those are not concerns. ArenaNet is experienced and has plenty of content here at launch. I firmly believe this is 'the next big thing' since the juggernaut known as WoW has been around, I shall explain why. This list is in no particular order...

1- This game is polished for release. There may be minor bugs here and there, but the game as a whole just works. I'm sure there will be more polish put on this with time. It can't compare to WoW here, but then again WoW has like an 8 year head start. Give it time. 2 - Depth of character: Open race and profession combinations. Anybody can be anything. The depth of how you can pick your utility skills and traits and have a real good chance of not running into anyone else with a cookie cutter build is very nice, especially since Blizzard killed off hybrids with Cataclysm and more so with Pandaria. 3 - Combat! Skills are determined by what you have in your hand more so than your profession. All buffs (boons) and debuffs (conditions) are of simple design. There is no dedicated Tank-Healer-DPS although there are some classes that excel at certain things more than others. Combat animations are done well and it seems to flow very smoothly. I am very critical on this as this is the exact thing that put me off of wanting in on The Secret World. There haven't been many MMOs to give you such an active mode of combat. Age of Conan tried and was very unbalanced between ranged and melee. Guild Wars 2 gets it right. You are able to fully Line of Sight some ones attacks or even actively dodge them!

4- PvP at launch! This is a direct stab at Blizzard. They still haven't added it to Diablo 3 (still wouldn't make me want to play it again, heh) and WoW was going for months before it got it's first battleground. I give major props for Dynamic Level Adjustments up to level 80. There are no such things as lowbie twinks or leveling zone camping and gankfests. Racial abilities can't be used in Structured PvP also (no Human double trinket domination!)

5- Robust crafting. This game has one of the most interesting crafting setups I've ever seen. It could use a bit more polish such as maybe showing you what you could make based upon components that you could make based upon your materials. I think there should be an option to consider your bank materials as well. I have only scratched the tip of this and am anxious to get more materials to craft more. Also, experience is gained for crafting and gathering!

6- Dynamic questing system. You do have a main story line that gives you a clear direction on how to progress through the game, but a big chunk of your leveling will be done through dynamic quests kind of similar to Rift's rift system and Instant Adventures, but more dynamic. No forced grouping during leveling as the content adjusts to how many players are active and you automatically get heals or assists off whoever is killing the same target as you. The Dynamic Level Adjustment works opposite in PvE than PvP, if you go into a lower level zone, you get reduced to an appropriate level and rewarded as if you were higher level. It is impossible to out level the content and you also can't get a high level guy to just run you through something! Also, no looking for yellow ?s or !s on the map!!!

7- The graphics are 2nd to none in MMOs. This is not a factor for many, but after spending thousands on PC hardware over the years, I appreciate being able to fully use it. This is the first game in years to have me taking screenshots because I am in awe of the design. A lot of MMOs don't put as much thought into design of the whole game as ArenaNet has done with just a single zone.

8- I don't know what else to keep on about... You can join multiple guilds. You get nice rewards for 100% exploration of zones. You can 'fight for your life' instead of dying when you get downed. You can transmute gear for different looks. You can freely dye armor different colors. .... and quite a bit more than I have space or time to describe.

Bottom line: Go get the game if you haven't already!!
  90. Sep 6, 2012
    This game is simply amazing and deserves all the praise that it gets. It's not perfect, as I'll explain in my review, but the fact that it does everything so much better than any other MMO out there earns it a 10 in my opinion. Bugs and server issues are to be expected with a game like this, and those will get fixed. People who like to bash this game are usually people who only play MMO'sThis game is simply amazing and deserves all the praise that it gets. It's not perfect, as I'll explain in my review, but the fact that it does everything so much better than any other MMO out there earns it a 10 in my opinion. Bugs and server issues are to be expected with a game like this, and those will get fixed. People who like to bash this game are usually people who only play MMO's like WoW and aren't capable of adapting to anything different.

A problem I see a lot of people make is they go into low level zones and do the easy events there and just button mash or try to do "rotations" and assume the combat is dull and easy because they are able to get away with that. Try some higher level dungeons or PvP against skilled players and you will see that there are no "rotations" in this game. You have to adapt to what is going on in the fight and use your abilities wisely so you don't waste them at times when they aren't as helpful. And I saw someone mention dodging doesn't work and they still get hit? This person obviously doesn't know what they are doing because dodging works 100% of the time.

The dynamic events DO make a difference in the world. Not all of them do, and even the ones that do make a difference don't always do it in a huge way. But the fact that some can and do make a big difference in the world easily makes this system better than the standard quest system found in most MMOs. Something to keep in mind too is that these events often trigger new events when they complete. Stick around a while and pay attention to what the NPC's are saying and doing after an event, it adds a lot of immersion to the game.

The weakest part of Guild Wars 2 is the personal storyline. I definitely has some cheesiness to it. But again, most MMO's don't even have anything like this (except for SWTOR of course). So it's better than not having it at all.

I see a problem with people complaining about security too, and for the most part they are right. It would have been nice if ArenaNet had implemented some type of authentication system BEFORE release. However, myself and many others have been playing without these issues. Just don't be an idiot and use the same password for every game/website you go to.
  91. Sep 16, 2012
    Before I write my review, I just want to get something out there. It is really frustrating for me to see all these bad reviews based solely on account hackings, launch hiccups, or poor customer service due to the unexpected influx of new players. These issues have nothing to do with the overall quality of the game, and will have no impact on prospective buyers in a few months time. ThisBefore I write my review, I just want to get something out there. It is really frustrating for me to see all these bad reviews based solely on account hackings, launch hiccups, or poor customer service due to the unexpected influx of new players. These issues have nothing to do with the overall quality of the game, and will have no impact on prospective buyers in a few months time. This creates a severe imbalance in terms of user reviews, as those who encounter problems such as those I mentioned above come here to rage, while those who have a had a great customer service experience or no hackings just expect that from such a well polished, fantastic game and don't bother coming here to review. And don't get me started on people just flat-out lying on here. Yes, you can play with friends. Yes, you have more than 5 skills. I honestly think most of the people on here rating less than 6 are either being bought out by rival companies, or played the game for 30 minutes during the initial launch. Anyways, now that that's off my chest. This is the without a doubt the best MMO out there. The visuals are picturesque, and the stories are entertaining and even humorous. But when it comes to an MMO, the most important things (at least in my opinion) are combat and questing system. These areas in MMOS have sat relatively stagnant since basically forever. Gear based combat with little focus on player skill, and quest-hub based fetch/kill quests. Guildwars 2 takes huge steps towards remedying these awful aspects of MMOs. The questing system is incredible, with a great balance of the random dynamic events, exploration and renown hearts. And the combat is extremely skill based, with gear mostly being used to compliment your build. (I'm not going to go into a bunch of detail here, hopefully any potential players are interested enough to read some detailed reviews on these systems by people who can actually write)

One of my favorite non gameplay related features is the complete lack of subscription fees. Becasue of this, Arenanet is not incentivized to make boring, grindy content to keep players busy while they drain 15$ a month out of them. This means that (no matter how sad this sounds) I'm actually excited to play this game because its fun, not because I'm being dragged through it by a carrot-on-a-stick leveling/gear treadmill.
  92. Sep 6, 2012
    This is exactly what I've been waiting for. After 7 years, I can finally say goodbye to Azeroth. If you're on the fence about this one, all I can say is go buy it now!
  93. Sep 9, 2012
    The general consensus is that GW2 gets ridiculously many things right, so I won't reiterate its great aspects. Instead, I will put into perspective some of the most common criticisms a few people seem to think justify sub-5 scores (hint: they don't).

Complaint: The removal of the trinity makes the game a zerg fest. Translation: I prefer a different genre of MMO. The removal of the

Complaint: The removal of the trinity makes the game a zerg fest.
    Translation: I prefer a different genre of MMO.

The removal of the trinity is a tradeoff. ANet sacrificed group structure and scalability for the ability to play with anyone, anywhere, without hassle. This is a vital point of distinction from the WoW-type games, without which the game would be doomed just like SWTOR, Rift, Aion, etc. The outcome is totally a matter of taste and people who prefer the more structured ways of the trinity should play the other excellent MMO, WoW, instead. I don't like beat 'em ups but I wouldn't give one a 0 score just because it's not my cup of tea.

Complaint: Hearts/dynamic events are just "gather 10 boar butts" questing in disguise.
    Translation: I dislike world PvE in MMOs.

You see, there's only so many ways a character can interact with the world that scale to a persistent MMO environment. A big chunk of that is just killing and gathering. GW2's weapon-based skill bar improves this a bit by allowing a broader range of interaction with world items in hearts/events. But at the end of the day, MMOs will always be more repetitive than single player games. Which makes GW2's achievement of making world PvE fun again for the vast majority of players even more impressive.

Complaint: The graphics suck.
    Translation: I didn't bother cranking up the graphics from the very conservative defaults.

There's not much to say about this one. GW2's graphics are extremely scalable. On the lowest settings the game looks like vanilla WoW, on the highest it's one of the best-looking games out there. That's not to say there shouldn't be improvements to performance on the higher quality levels so more people can enjoy the game at its shiniest.

Complaint: The voice acting sucks.
    Translation: I am not playing the English client.

Unless you haven't noticed, game developers stopped making quality foreign localizations some 15 years ago. While this is certainly a deficiency of the product, I'd rather ANet concentrate on improving the game as a whole than make sure the clients in the lesser languages are on par with the English one. This comes from someone who isn't a native English speaker.

Complaint: I was suspended or banned.
    Translation A: I am a notoriously unpleasant individual and should stick to single player games.

The more guilty they are the louder they whine when a developer exercises their zero tolerance harassment policy. Feel free to check out ANet's infamous Reddit thread "Suspensions for offensive names and inappropriate behavior" for the hilarious details.

Translation B: I (re-)use weak passwords and/or don't know how to secure my computer.

The issue that accounts could be hijacked without the email password is inexcusable, but that doesn't change the fact that the account would have had to be hacked in the first place. Which in most cases would have resulted in a ban even without the attacker hijacking the account. It's important to understand that whoever gets his or her account hacked is not the only one suffering the consequences, but the game as a whole. That's why ANet have to be adamant with banning compromised accounts. Hey, it's the internet. Be careful out there.
  94. Sep 7, 2012
    I have been a gamer all my life and I still remember the feeling I had the first time I picked up and played WoW, the first time I went to warsong gulch and ran screaming with a flag chased by those damnable horde, walked across the bridge in stranglethorn vale...... but as games do, it got old. Vanilla wow is a dream we all had that has long since faded from memory leaving behind theI have been a gamer all my life and I still remember the feeling I had the first time I picked up and played WoW, the first time I went to warsong gulch and ran screaming with a flag chased by those damnable horde, walked across the bridge in stranglethorn vale...... but as games do, it got old. Vanilla wow is a dream we all had that has long since faded from memory leaving behind the beastly cash cow that is wow nowadays. This brings me to GW 2. I was skeptical to say the least. Up until a week before the head start I was not even going to buy it. But I did...... and damn it I am having a blast. I have not enjoyed a game this much in years. I can't put into words everything that makes GW2 worth ppls hard earned money and time but I can guarantee no one will buy it and feel like they didn't get their moneys worth, and 9 out of 10 will feel as I do. Arena.net have brought the magic back to mmo's. This is a must buy. And free to play? Get in there my son. Today I found a hidden doorway in the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere, made my way through a booby trapped cave with pressure plates and the ground crumbling beneath my feet only to emerge in an underground cavern to find a ghost ship and a wicked jumping puzzle that took me 15 minutes to beat.....to finally earn an achievement and a splendid chest. In WoW if u tried to go off the beaten track like that the best you can hope for is falling through the ground to your death.... And I have not even mentioned the dungeons which are hella hard but rewarding or the World vs world vs world pvp that ate up 3 hours of my life last night as I lead my server to domination..... I could go on but I think by this stage if u are still reading u are either a fan or are going to buy the game so stop wasting your time and get playing! Expand
  95. Sep 7, 2012
    What makes Guild Wars 2 superior to the other MMO's past years?
    What makes Guild Wars 2 superior to the other MMO's past years?
    I'ts really hard to point out just one thing which makes it superior to World of Warcraft, RIFT, Secret World and all the other MMO's out there. Yes, it's generic high-fantasy world, but it feels like there's more actual interaction with the world than in other generic-high-fantasy MMO's, the world feels like it's alive, it's more immerse than we've seen before in any MMO.
    The leveling system is quite neat as well. Where as other MMO's aim for individualism Guild Wars 2 puts much emphasis on word TEAMWORK. There's on individual experience from mobs, they're all shared with all the other player participating in killing, sharing is caring right? The tasks are completed by a few different ways, so you feel like you can finish a quest like you want to, you don't always have to kill trillions of mobs, you can for example pick up trash or something like that, isn't quite revolutionary, but brings a great feel of freedom to it.
    The combat mechanics is actually great, not your basic-button-smashing-and-standing-still-style of combat, you actually have to move and dodge actively and use your snares and stuns in order to survive. This is very rewarding that your individual skill might help you bring down a more powerful enemy rather than your statistics.
    The PVP has that same skill mechanic implemented, since you have to dodge and move around corners to avoid damage and do that really challenging skill requiring dance that you do on PvE as well. The World vs. World vs. World is a great thing, you fight for your own realms benefits, which is quite neat and it seems balanced enough, realms who run over other realms get moved up and those who cannot cope will be placed with weaker opponents to guarantee at least some bonuses for your realm.

Why aren't I giving a 10 to a game that is great?
    Several technical issues I might say. A-net still has to work on stability and WvW lag-issues and trading post issues of course. In pre-launch everything worked at least good but then came the launch and the lags and everything went to full **** but now a few weeks after the launch everything seems good, minor lags and bugs still exist, but nothing too bad anymore.

In conclusion Guild Wars 2 renews the MMO-genre enough to fight against the big mighty World of Warcraft but still keeps some basics untouched which is a must if you want to attract people to play. Watch out World of Warcraft, you got a challenger....And it's gonna kick your Panda-ass all the way through Tyria.
  96. Sep 7, 2012
    Absolutely astounding. There's something for everyone, even the ex-WoW veterans. PvP is truly skill-based, not about who has the better gear. World vs. Word (read: server vs. server) is a perfectly chaotic clusterf*ck, PvE is never boring with events around and dungeons on top, plus there's lots of uncharted exploration. At $60 and no monthly fee, it is a much better deal than ToR for $60Absolutely astounding. There's something for everyone, even the ex-WoW veterans. PvP is truly skill-based, not about who has the better gear. World vs. Word (read: server vs. server) is a perfectly chaotic clusterf*ck, PvE is never boring with events around and dungeons on top, plus there's lots of uncharted exploration. At $60 and no monthly fee, it is a much better deal than ToR for $60 and $15 a month. Also unlike ToR it is not a bleak, repetitive game that rewards time investment over skill.

A piece of advice for reading reviews - if they say they quit after an hour, their review simply doesn't count. You can NOT see this game in an hour. It is most akin, like it's predecessor, to Magic: the Gathering. It is a complex, nuanced, combinatorial, tactical experience that leverages your "deck building" (read: skill selecting) skills as much as your reaction time (there's collision detection and realistic, live-action dodge-rolling) and time management skills (to rez, or not to rez?).

No need to try before you buy - it's some grade-A stuff.
  97. Sep 7, 2012
    This is a very enjoyable game. I have been playing MMO's for several years and i would say this is my favourite. Nice look, sound and gameplay is very active. Some hiccups to the launch but everything seems to be settling down and from my Arenanet experience gamer support is awesome. Security was a concern but new email verification has kept me from getting hacked. Come join the fun don'tThis is a very enjoyable game. I have been playing MMO's for several years and i would say this is my favourite. Nice look, sound and gameplay is very active. Some hiccups to the launch but everything seems to be settling down and from my Arenanet experience gamer support is awesome. Security was a concern but new email verification has kept me from getting hacked. Come join the fun don't miss out on a new style MMO. Expand
  98. Sep 8, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a revolution. The way how it all works together is amazing. You gain experience almost from everything you do, so you no longer need to play it for 20 000 hours to reach the best equip and to enjoy high level instances. I am playing a norn ranger and it is so much fun, with all the pets you can tame and all the skillsets you can use. Another thing is the enviroment, it isGuild Wars 2 is a revolution. The way how it all works together is amazing. You gain experience almost from everything you do, so you no longer need to play it for 20 000 hours to reach the best equip and to enjoy high level instances. I am playing a norn ranger and it is so much fun, with all the pets you can tame and all the skillsets you can use. Another thing is the enviroment, it is stunning. Despite the problems with the trading post I must say it is a game that really deserves the 10/10 Expand
  99. Sep 8, 2012
    For the hardcore raiders, I wouldn't suggest buying this game. At least not buying it yet. For the casual gamer who normally doesn't have time for MMO's, this game is worth every penny and then some. You won't feel the need to play everyday to keep up, and you won't feel like your getting screwed for doing so. It is a very fun game to just play and enjoy, so far (2 weeks of play), it hasFor the hardcore raiders, I wouldn't suggest buying this game. At least not buying it yet. For the casual gamer who normally doesn't have time for MMO's, this game is worth every penny and then some. You won't feel the need to play everyday to keep up, and you won't feel like your getting screwed for doing so. It is a very fun game to just play and enjoy, so far (2 weeks of play), it has yet to give off the "This is becoming work" feel to me. To sum it up, when I log on to guild wars 2, I don't feel like I'm playing another mainstream MMO. This game gives off a very unique feel. I have been playing games as a hardcore gamer for over 4 years now with a friend of mine. We both bought this game being super excited about the PvP, and turned around to love just about everything there was to love about this game. Upon our first two days of playing together we kept talking to each other and asking, "Dude, what should I do?" But it wasn't a negative what should I do. This game is so overwhelming with choices when you first start off, its simply astonishing. With that in mind, me and my friend have always been in a rush to hit max level and be the first to do everything, which meant no exploring the world, and no stopping every 3 seconds to grab a crafting node. Last night we hopped on looking to progress some more and continue leveling, instead we found over selves quick traveling around the world and collecting tons of crafting nodes for xp, all the vistas, points of interest, skill challenges, and way points.

This game has a very appealing feel to it, I highly suggest trying it out. *Note* I'd really like to give this game a 9.5 instead of a 10 since i feel it leans closer to 10. However, I choose 10 over 9,because a 9 just doesn't do this game justice.
  100. Sep 8, 2012
    This game is amazing, beautiful and so alive, compared to other MMORPGs out in the market right now. I've played World of Warcraft for 3 years now and it was fun, for those 3 whole years. But let me just say that when I played Guild Wars 2, it felt like I had more fun than in those 3 years of playing World of Warcraft. Some people might ask, what can this game offer that other gamesThis game is amazing, beautiful and so alive, compared to other MMORPGs out in the market right now. I've played World of Warcraft for 3 years now and it was fun, for those 3 whole years. But let me just say that when I played Guild Wars 2, it felt like I had more fun than in those 3 years of playing World of Warcraft. Some people might ask, what can this game offer that other games cannot? Well, my answer to that is "life". What ArenaNet did to the game was not only to make a game enjoyable by everyone, but also make a game with a world that feels so immersible and alive. Just yesterday, before I wrote this review, I was playing GW2 with my brother, finding and mining ores until suddenly an NPC just came up to us and asked us to help his village. And we just followed the NPC. And by the time we arrived at his village, it as overrun by centaurs. So me and my brother fought and won and it was a really satisfying experience. Another example was when the NPCs just go about their lives, talking about their past adventures and making moves no other NPCs from MMORPGs can do. But this is just a fraction of detail as to how the world is alive. You will find out more when you play the game itself.

Another feature is the personal story. This is a very big rpg element which was introduced to GW2 and I have to say, ArenaNet did an amazing job. The personal story lets you choose from plenty of choices which will affect how your character interacts with other NPCs and how his story will be laid out. The personal story is not like SWTOR's character story. In SWTOR, it just like letting your character play a big script and the only choices you make will affect only how you interact with your companions but it is different in GW2 since the choices you make will actually affect your character, your home instance, your NPC friends and your story. For example, you are given two choices to either save your friend or the city, when you choose your friend, there be more branches added to the story, but if you choose the city, different branches will also be added. So in short, everything you choose in your Personal Story will affect everything about your story.

The features that I gave above are only a tiny bit of the features Guild Wars 2 has to offer. IF you want to find out more. Buy the game and see for yourself :D I guarantee you will like it.

For me, I feel that Guild Wars 2 really deserves the GOTY award, although I am not sure if MMORPGs can win GOTY awards at all.

So to anyone who reads this. I gave Guild Wars 2 a perfect 10 because of my experience with the game and not how the game is presented, so our opinions may vary.

So once again, buy the game and if you like it, then have fun :D
  101. Oct 2, 2012
    This is as good as any MMO has ever been. If you're still playing WoW and the Mists of Panderia daily grind, it's because you underestimated and/or misjudged GW2. This is the game to be playing, and any fan of WoW, Rift, or DAoC owes it to themselves to call GW2 their home for the foreseeable future. This is not another incremental evolution, this is an MMO revolution.

The only thing

The only thing you might miss are instanced raids at end-game. End-game now consists of open-world raids, 3-faction world vs. world PvP, character appearance and gear customization via dyes and dungeon systems, and legendary weapon grinds. In addition, there are still tons of places to explore, quests and events to complete, secret treasure chests to find, jumping puzzles to solve, scenario PvP, and plenty more surprises.

The game might feel a lot like WoW at first, but that just means you're playing it wrong -- seriously. Don't worry, much like anything new, you will begin to understand it with time and effort invested.

Ultimately, GW2 is a wholly unique experience that captures some of the magic that your favorite MMO used to have. Guild Wars 2 is as good as the genre has ever been.

2. Jan 2, 2013