• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. Sep 2, 2012
    This is the pinnacle of visual video game artwork. The questing system is ingenious and eliminates errand running and quest spam/quest grind. Armors look good, characters look good, and are customizeable. Animations are a step ahead as well. Voice acting is excellent, music is excellent. Races are slightly odd, but very distinct, and you can always fall back to Human. Skills are vast andThis is the pinnacle of visual video game artwork. The questing system is ingenious and eliminates errand running and quest spam/quest grind. Armors look good, characters look good, and are customizeable. Animations are a step ahead as well. Voice acting is excellent, music is excellent. Races are slightly odd, but very distinct, and you can always fall back to Human. Skills are vast and varied, relying mostly on weapons for types of utility. The caveat is that you can only have 5 weapon skills and 5 character skills active at once, and they are mostly the same types of skills. Want to build a pure healer? You can't. Only one heal skill per player, and typically one heal skill per weapon. Each character will be 80% damage and 20% support, leaving huge gaps in teamwork and group play. If there were more utility, or a choice to go all utility or all damage, the game would be 10/10. It is, after all, the best MMO world ever made. Expand
  2. Aug 28, 2012
    Better than TOR, The Secret World, and TERA, all things considered.
    Better than TOR, The Secret World, and TERA, all things considered.
    I've been purchasing every major MMO release this year and have left extremely disappointed each time. I would log in, see "kill X and Y", do the standard number mashing combat that you find in every MMO, and end up unsubscribing. I did try to give these games my all and see if I could break past the tedium, but I could not.

People in these reviews are complaining about broken quests and server overflows. Guys, it's launch day. The game literally JUST CAME OUT and it's easily the most anticipated MMO since TOR, so can you maybe just give it a second and roll with the punches? It gets better, I promise.
    As far as questing goes, you are technically presented with the standard "kill X of these" quests, but packaged in such a way that if you don't want to do them, you can just bugger off and it'll disappear from your objectives list. Furthermore, the quests are shared across all players engaged in that particular activity, so you don't have to play alone.

Grouping is also much better than in previous MMOs. Literally anyone standing next to me during a dynamic event is part of my "group" without any invitations or awkward conversation. All XP gets shared and loot is reserved for each character. Truly a step in the right direction.

Speaking of XP, doing ANYTHING in Guild Wars 2 is likely to reward you with experience points. Chop down a tree to gather crafting materials? Revive a fallen ally or player? discover a new location? Yup, they all give significant experience points. So do crafting, exploration, dynamic events, and more. What's that? Reviving a fallen player? yes! Guild Wars 2 goes beyond the standard ideas of playing together that MMOs have so tactfully forced down our throats. For the first time, I'm inclined and REWARDED for helping other players back on their feet after they get their butts handed to them, and other players return the favor when I'm downed too!

Bringing me to another mechanic. When you die in the field, unless you get severely roflstomped, you "fight for your life". Throw things and bandage yourself while you're on the ground, and you even have a chance to bring yourself back to life.

There are so many other mechanics that I could rattle off, but the ones I mentioned are the main draws for myself.

basically, if you think you're burned out on MMOs, get GW2. It's not a re-invention of the genre, but rather an evolution.
  3. Sep 7, 2012
    I have tried most MMOs out there over the years ever since the original Everquest. WoW, EQ2, AoC, Star Wars (both), Rift, Secret World, etc., and I always get bored before too long. For some reason when a new one comes out I think, "This will be the one!" Well it seems I have finally found the right MMO for me in Guild Wars 2. I really think this MMO fixes many of the issues thatI have tried most MMOs out there over the years ever since the original Everquest. WoW, EQ2, AoC, Star Wars (both), Rift, Secret World, etc., and I always get bored before too long. For some reason when a new one comes out I think, "This will be the one!" Well it seems I have finally found the right MMO for me in Guild Wars 2. I really think this MMO fixes many of the issues that put-off newcomers to the genre. This is a very accessible, very entertaining game. The manner in which they have made grouping up seem almost effortless and completely organic, should be a future standard IMHO. There are numerous other positives I could mention, and very few negatives. Suffice it to say that if you just haven't been able to find an MMO that you can really get into, this is the right one for you. Expand
  4. Nov 29, 2012
    8/10 from me. I'll start with the good. The content is overwhelming. You may say there isn't content, then I don't know what game you have been playing. Everything from WvW, to PvE, to sPvP is simply fun. I even enjoy crafting, something I never really enjoyed doing in a game. The graphics are phenomenal. I'm playing on a low spec computer and still enjoy the beauty. That is another point,8/10 from me. I'll start with the good. The content is overwhelming. You may say there isn't content, then I don't know what game you have been playing. Everything from WvW, to PvE, to sPvP is simply fun. I even enjoy crafting, something I never really enjoyed doing in a game. The graphics are phenomenal. I'm playing on a low spec computer and still enjoy the beauty. That is another point, I'm on a low end computer. The game plays decent on it, I'm happy about that. I really enjoy the big "group dynamic events" where 100+ people show up to take down a baddie. That is always a blast to enjoy. I'm also a World versus World versus World (WvW) nut. I enjoy fighting alongside 100+ people taking a keep or a castle while getting barraged with arrows and oil. That is fun. I enjoy it. The classes are all fun to play. And the races are equally amazing. The personal story is very well done as well. Granted, I think after a certain point it starts coming together at the end so it is the same, but that makes sense. The story of an MMO has to have the same ending point. It is very well done. My only concerns are the following. The Culling issue in WvW and the PvE side are just bad. If I am fighting people, how come I can't see them, but they can see me while I'm getting hit? This is especially bad in WvW where you do find quite a few people at the same time. Another are the bugs. The bugs are endless. Just when one gets fixed, another one pops up. It took me a month to get one map completed because of a bug where the skill point didn't show up. Kind of hard to complete content that way. Another is the "endgame". The whole game was supposed to be end game. But instead we have people "farming and grinding" gear which is the total opposite of what the game was marketed to be. There isn't any reward for going back and assisting new characters or doing lower level content. If there was some sort of reward for going back to a different map, even it is was farming, perhaps the population would spread out again. Kind of pointless to see a 30 man zerg just farming events in the end game areas. If that was what the PvE ends up being, I'll stick to my WvW. The Class balance is out of whack. Seems to be that if you want to dominate, go Mesmer or Thief. The other classes don't even matter is seems like. Re-balancing needs to be done for the classes.

All in all, the game is very well done. The best part, if you get frustrated or bored, you can always come back when new content comes out. That's always the best part, no worries about a subscription fee. If those small issues get fixed, and slightly more content for the little guy in WvW, it'll be a 10. Till then, a 8/10 it is.
  5. Aug 31, 2012
    I'm choosing to rate this game a 10 not because I think it is a perfect game, but rather because it is the most fun playing an MMORPG I have ever had. The game does a good job of retaining what makes MMO's great while innovating and finding new and creative ways to deliver content to players. Rather than the standard actionbar keypressing combat, we instead have a system that allows forI'm choosing to rate this game a 10 not because I think it is a perfect game, but rather because it is the most fun playing an MMORPG I have ever had. The game does a good job of retaining what makes MMO's great while innovating and finding new and creative ways to deliver content to players. Rather than the standard actionbar keypressing combat, we instead have a system that allows for dodging and one can use all of their abilities while moving. Instead of a traditional party system with tank, healer, and DPS (where really most people only want to do damage) we have abolished the trinity system and have replaced it with damage dealing classes and support classes, all fun player options that makes grouping up for dungeons easy and fun. Instead of the traditional questing structure of heading to a hub, picking up a huge bundle of quests, completing them all, and returning them, progressing through an environment in this game involves doing a combination of different events including exploration and platforming challenges as well as dynamic events and Guild Wars 2's answer to quests, reknown hearts. The game also takes a unique approach to PVE with the absolutely massive boss battles and invasions one can take up arms against as they wander throughout the world in the form of dynamic events. The game's PvP content is also innovative, including an awesome server-vs-server-vs-server option where three servers duke it out. These battles can get absolutely massive - even classic "Huge" battlefields in MMOs like old school Alterac Valley from WoW or Warhammer's massive battlegrounds don't compare. Then there are the small details - the little things that improve the game even more. The personal story is a nice touch to add some context to the game, the graphics and sound design are beautiful, being de-leveled upon entering lower level zones to be able to complete the content without feeling too powerful makes group play easy and allows you to play whatever you want whenever you want, having the ability to immediately deposit the items you collect for crafting into a tab of the bank from anywhere in the world is genius, and having an overflow server that prevents players from having to sit in a que just to play the game are all little strokes of awesome that make this game great.

To top it all off, unlike other MMO's once one purchases this game there are no subscription fees whatsoever, and the cash shop in no way is pay for power. It's an incredible value that I would be willing to pay 15 dollars a month for if it were subscription-based.

This is the most fun I've had playing an MMO in ages, and I think a lot of people share my opinion as I can see by the high user score (especially for an MMO, SWTOR and WoW expansions usually get yellow and red user scores) not to mention a really nice critic score thus far. I can't wait to see what will be happening to this wonderful game in the future.
  6. Sep 5, 2012
    First off, I haven't played every MMO out there, but I have been playing MMOs since 1999 starting with UO. The next game I spent a ton of time on was WoW since launch. I have tried many other 'next big things' that turned out to be failures within the first couple months. They either faltered due to poor launch, inexperience, or just lack of content. With Guild Wars 2, those are notFirst off, I haven't played every MMO out there, but I have been playing MMOs since 1999 starting with UO. The next game I spent a ton of time on was WoW since launch. I have tried many other 'next big things' that turned out to be failures within the first couple months. They either faltered due to poor launch, inexperience, or just lack of content. With Guild Wars 2, those are not concerns. ArenaNet is experienced and has plenty of content here at launch. I firmly believe this is 'the next big thing' since the juggernaut known as WoW has been around, I shall explain why. This list is in no particular order...

1- This game is polished for release. There may be minor bugs here and there, but the game as a whole just works. I'm sure there will be more polish put on this with time. It can't compare to WoW here, but then again WoW has like an 8 year head start. Give it time. 2 - Depth of character: Open race and profession combinations. Anybody can be anything. The depth of how you can pick your utility skills and traits and have a real good chance of not running into anyone else with a cookie cutter build is very nice, especially since Blizzard killed off hybrids with Cataclysm and more so with Pandaria. 3 - Combat! Skills are determined by what you have in your hand more so than your profession. All buffs (boons) and debuffs (conditions) are of simple design. There is no dedicated Tank-Healer-DPS although there are some classes that excel at certain things more than others. Combat animations are done well and it seems to flow very smoothly. I am very critical on this as this is the exact thing that put me off of wanting in on The Secret World. There haven't been many MMOs to give you such an active mode of combat. Age of Conan tried and was very unbalanced between ranged and melee. Guild Wars 2 gets it right. You are able to fully Line of Sight some ones attacks or even actively dodge them!

4- PvP at launch! This is a direct stab at Blizzard. They still haven't added it to Diablo 3 (still wouldn't make me want to play it again, heh) and WoW was going for months before it got it's first battleground. I give major props for Dynamic Level Adjustments up to level 80. There are no such things as lowbie twinks or leveling zone camping and gankfests. Racial abilities can't be used in Structured PvP also (no Human double trinket domination!)

5- Robust crafting. This game has one of the most interesting crafting setups I've ever seen. It could use a bit more polish such as maybe showing you what you could make based upon components that you could make based upon your materials. I think there should be an option to consider your bank materials as well. I have only scratched the tip of this and am anxious to get more materials to craft more. Also, experience is gained for crafting and gathering!

6- Dynamic questing system. You do have a main story line that gives you a clear direction on how to progress through the game, but a big chunk of your leveling will be done through dynamic quests kind of similar to Rift's rift system and Instant Adventures, but more dynamic. No forced grouping during leveling as the content adjusts to how many players are active and you automatically get heals or assists off whoever is killing the same target as you. The Dynamic Level Adjustment works opposite in PvE than PvP, if you go into a lower level zone, you get reduced to an appropriate level and rewarded as if you were higher level. It is impossible to out level the content and you also can't get a high level guy to just run you through something! Also, no looking for yellow ?s or !s on the map!!!

7- The graphics are 2nd to none in MMOs. This is not a factor for many, but after spending thousands on PC hardware over the years, I appreciate being able to fully use it. This is the first game in years to have me taking screenshots because I am in awe of the design. A lot of MMOs don't put as much thought into design of the whole game as ArenaNet has done with just a single zone.

8- I don't know what else to keep on about... You can join multiple guilds. You get nice rewards for 100% exploration of zones. You can 'fight for your life' instead of dying when you get downed. You can transmute gear for different looks. You can freely dye armor different colors. .... and quite a bit more than I have space or time to describe.

Bottom line: Go get the game if you haven't already!!
  7. Aug 29, 2012
    I am scoring GW2 a 10 despite the minor issues with the trading post and forums being down because it is simply an amazing game. It is visually stunning and just plain fun to play. And, I have not even tried the PvP aspect which I am looking forward to experiencing. GW2 literally has me at PvE. But, the biggest factor for me is the design. The elimination of the trinity, the fact thatI am scoring GW2 a 10 despite the minor issues with the trading post and forums being down because it is simply an amazing game. It is visually stunning and just plain fun to play. And, I have not even tried the PvP aspect which I am looking forward to experiencing. GW2 literally has me at PvE. But, the biggest factor for me is the design. The elimination of the trinity, the fact that it is B2P, the focus on skill over gear, the questing system, dynamic events, accessibility due to way points and the beautiful art direction make GW2 a game that I want to support as well play. I hope that other developers take a good look at GW2. I genuinely believe that this is the direction that MMOs should take going forward. Expand
  8. Aug 28, 2012
    I've been playing MMOs since the text-based MUD days, and this is the most immersive and amazing world that I've come across in all of that time. If you are a MMO player who loves to explore, then it is a must buy. There is simply no other game out there which comes close to the level of detail and fun built into the world. That said, it is not an easy mmo -- the combat once you hitI've been playing MMOs since the text-based MUD days, and this is the most immersive and amazing world that I've come across in all of that time. If you are a MMO player who loves to explore, then it is a must buy. There is simply no other game out there which comes close to the level of detail and fun built into the world. That said, it is not an easy mmo -- the combat once you hit about level 20 is very challenging and you must learn your class mechanics well. Even that is a refreshing thing though, as it makes me realize how dumbed down every other MMO has become lately. Expand
  9. Aug 29, 2012
    In a genre dominated by World of Warcraft and other similar games Guild Wars 2 is refreshingly different. It ditches static tank and heal group gameplay for action based gameplay. No subscription fee means the game does not have to introduce tedious but psychologically addictive gameplay to keep its player base. Instead I'm playing simply because it's engaging and above all embodies what aIn a genre dominated by World of Warcraft and other similar games Guild Wars 2 is refreshingly different. It ditches static tank and heal group gameplay for action based gameplay. No subscription fee means the game does not have to introduce tedious but psychologically addictive gameplay to keep its player base. Instead I'm playing simply because it's engaging and above all embodies what a game should be and what the rest of the MMO genre is lacking: FUN! Expand
  10. Aug 28, 2012
    Really enjoying the game! So far the game mechanics really let you help out others without worrying you're hurting their progress. Very few MMO's can say that. Events popup regularly and so far don't seem too repeat as often as they might. Heck you can even revive fallen NPC's! My game time has been in head start so there may be more issues popping in live than I've seen so far. I have aReally enjoying the game! So far the game mechanics really let you help out others without worrying you're hurting their progress. Very few MMO's can say that. Events popup regularly and so far don't seem too repeat as often as they might. Heck you can even revive fallen NPC's! My game time has been in head start so there may be more issues popping in live than I've seen so far. I have a fairly highend system so the graphics really look fantastic. Also as a GW1 veteran this is a great extension to the franchise. Overflow is a great way of handling queues IMHO. Not giving a 10 due to so little detail info in the online "manual". Where are the storage chests for example? (Having found out where they are I've yet to actually reach one! %-) Good Job Devs! Expand
  11. Aug 28, 2012
    It's a refreshing take on MMO's. Although not revolutionary, it builds upon most old ideas and gives players a new way to play. For all those zero's out there... the game has barely been released, and you are trashing the game for release bugs and server crashes? This is one the of the smoothest MMO launches I'v ever experienced. Definitely not like D3 where i could play for a solid weekIt's a refreshing take on MMO's. Although not revolutionary, it builds upon most old ideas and gives players a new way to play. For all those zero's out there... the game has barely been released, and you are trashing the game for release bugs and server crashes? This is one the of the smoothest MMO launches I'v ever experienced. Definitely not like D3 where i could play for a solid week due to login errors.

The art style is also gorgeous, and the vistas are awesome. Playing as an Engineer with a flame thrower kit is awesome, and I enjoy the flexibility of this game. I highly recommend it to people looking for something new. Just don't play it like you would a normal MMO, there are many differences.
  12. Aug 28, 2012
    An absolutely gorgeous and polished game that does away with the irksome game systems (grinding, holy trinity, constant time-sinks, filler content) of MMOs while reiterating the best ones. The love and passion ArenaNet has put into this game truly shows and it's worth every penny.
  13. Aug 28, 2012
    I have played mmos since everyquest back in the days. Everything from ragnarok online, ffxi, wow, matrix online lol, guild wars 1, eve, aion, archlord... you name it. I spend my college years deep loving mmos. Now im an adult with a full time job and family and not as much time to play mmos.

Guild wars 2 allows me to play mmos again and live my life!!!. Finally an mmo suited for me. An mmo hardcore enough to suit my needs for challenge and casual enough to allow me to play at my own pace! The dream.

Guild wars 2 has amazing graphics. Beautiful animations and an epic soundtrack. The client is amazingly stable and smooth. Classes are fun and engaging and waaay different than most mmos. Races are beautiful too.

The game makes you want to explore all the huge world and if you are a completionist.. hell, you will have a ton to complete here. The game was made to play with others, not to compete and fight with people. there is no silly kill steals or node steals, everyone fights to achieve a common goal and it works!

So far the game has exceeded all my expectations. The mmo innovates on every angle. Dont believe people who say the game is good... or bad. I say go play it and make your own judgement, you wont regret it. Also no monthly fee is awesome!
  14. Aug 29, 2012
    I played just WoW the last. seven years and whenever another MMO came out, I always said, that all people leaving WoW will soon rejoin. I thought this (and often was right) because of the strategy, all the other MMOs had: they copied WoW. Now I play Guild Wars 2 the fifth day and I can say: playing GW2 30 Level I have seen more and had more fun, than in WoW with 6 lvl 85 the last years.I played just WoW the last. seven years and whenever another MMO came out, I always said, that all people leaving WoW will soon rejoin. I thought this (and often was right) because of the strategy, all the other MMOs had: they copied WoW. Now I play Guild Wars 2 the fifth day and I can say: playing GW2 30 Level I have seen more and had more fun, than in WoW with 6 lvl 85 the last years. The dynamic world and quests, the changing goals, even with failing an event, make GW2 so much fun and sort of unpredictable. For me, RPGs always were MMOs and not MMOs. MMOs always had a worse story and less of that 'I am the hero'-feeling. Not MMOs indeed had the perfect storyline and the feeling of being a hero - but no other gamers. GW2 for me is the perfect symbiosis of both, even decisions are included. Awesome game. Expand
  15. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is an evolutionary milestone for the MMO genre. At times it feels more like a single player RPG like Skyrim or The Witcher, than your usual MMORPG. You can play the way you want. Between personal Stories, World v. World, and structured PvP (which puts everyone on an equal playing field) there is a lot of variety. Crafting gives XP, World vs. World gives XP, Harvesting givesGuild Wars 2 is an evolutionary milestone for the MMO genre. At times it feels more like a single player RPG like Skyrim or The Witcher, than your usual MMORPG. You can play the way you want. Between personal Stories, World v. World, and structured PvP (which puts everyone on an equal playing field) there is a lot of variety. Crafting gives XP, World vs. World gives XP, Harvesting gives XP, Exploring gives XP, even rezzing players (which everyone can do in this game) gives XP. Long gone are the annoyances of most MMOs. Every player in the game is working together. So no stealing mobs, loot, or resource nodes. You access the bank from crafting stations. No trinity of tank, dps, and healer. Any combination of classes can complete any content if they bring the right skills. No more waiting around for a certain class, or forcing one of your friends to play a class they don't want to.

Combat is dynamic and intricate in both PvE and PvP. While it does lose some of its intricacies when more than ~20-30 players are involved, it is still insanely fun. If this game fails, it will be because people don't want something new. At the end of the day, it's worth a shot. For $60 you have lifetime access to the game. No subscription fees. Easy choice. Try it for yourself.
  16. Aug 28, 2012
    This is really quite an unbelievable game. There is just so much to do that you will find yourself occupied not for hours or days, but for months at a time.

The planet of Tyria feels so alive with its large bustling cities, dynamic events, and interesting NPC's. It simply oozes charm and detail. Anyone waffling on this purchase should not hesitate. If you find yourself a fan of the MMORPG genre or have in the past, GW2 is a fresh new take on the scene. Great value, and and exceptional game overall. 10/10.
  17. Aug 28, 2012
    Best MMORPG I have ever played.Great PVP system,the background story and the unique races are fantastic ,good diversity and great graphics,crazy soundtrack.The exploration is just addictive
    Better than GW1.Just beautiful!
  18. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is notable in the MMO genre, as it is the first big budget title in at least 5 years to attempt to innovate beyond the traditional hotkey 'holy trinity' (tank/dps/healer) model popularized with Everquest years ago and carried forward by WoW.

This review comes at the time of the end of the 3 day head start. There are a handful of problems at the moment that I presume will be resolved in the near future and so my review will not penalize Arenanet for this troubles -- primarily around guild administrative functionality (lag) and the trading post.

Graphics. Its the first game in years that has such a strongly realised art design; perhaps since the Mass Effect franchise, and its the first fantasy title in years that compares to Blizzard's in house design team. Running an ATI 7750 on a first gen i5 quad core, I can maintain ~50-60 fps for 1650x1080 at high settings. There are people with performance problems today, though, but both drivers are continually being updated and Arenanet is constantly tweaking and tuning performance. Tom's Hardware has a good review of GW2 performance, to give you a sense of what works well and what is still problematic. Gameplay. Innovative. Core mechanics are almost entirely unlocked by level 10, the game is very responsive (tight controls) and content is immediately challenging in the starting zone -- this is very refreshing after 'collect 10 boar hides' with rudimentary abilities in other MMOs. The world feels much more alive than other MMOs with static quests or staged events. Crafting is deep and nuanced. There's a personal storyline for your character, that behaves similarly to SW:TOR's core class stories. There is quite a large amount of voice acting too.

The best thing about guild wars 2, is that its a one time purchase. You get a persistent world, with modern graphics and several innovations on traditional MMO mechanics... without a recurring subscription. GW2 looks to put new downward pressure on the cost of MMOs, while simultaneously raising the bar for group play and quality of execution (graphics, music, gameplay). Definitely a top 10 of the year title, and potentially a #1.
  19. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is fantastic, a milestone. Not only the overall level of quality and detail is above almost any other MMO in the market, but it also innovates the genre in many ways.
    No more single task, static questing, but a living world where events are not waiting for you to click on an NPC to happen: you explore, you see things happening, you join them and your actions have consequences.
    No more gear grind: both in PvE and PvP, you won't need to farm gear for ages just to be able to join the action. At max level everybody is on the same gear level, the outcomes of the challenge is determined by your skill, finally.
    No more being pigeon holed within one single class role. Every class can finally be ranged and melee, healing or dpsing. Shift your weapons, manage your countless skills, dodge and parry the incoming attacks. This is finally an engaging combat!
    No more waiting for a healer or a tank to show up: you want to do that dungeon with 5 warriors or 5 necromancers? You can, it works.
    No more subscription fees: you by the game and you play it as much as you want, at your pace. Content will be periodically added, and it will be free. You just have to buy the official expansion when they will come out.

This game is different in mechanics, is gigantic in scope, is beautiful and intriguing. Do yourself a favour and don't miss it. It's not "marketing" or advertisement. It's how the game is, as a matter of fact.

(Final note: I read some of the few "0" rated reviews here and I am appalled by the false information they spread. One thing is expressing opinions, one thing is spreading clear lies. Only 5 skills? False. I cannot play with my friends? False. Give the game a try, you'll see by yourself what's true and what's false...
  20. Aug 28, 2012
    I don't have mmo experience, so this goes from a newcomer. GW2 gives you some very nice possibilities to play with your friends, while making possible to play with other unknown fellas, since there is a really coop scenario around. PVE is great, the maps are big enough and have a lot of actions. There are quests, but in a new fashion, much more interesting since in many ways they are freeI don't have mmo experience, so this goes from a newcomer. GW2 gives you some very nice possibilities to play with your friends, while making possible to play with other unknown fellas, since there is a really coop scenario around. PVE is great, the maps are big enough and have a lot of actions. There are quests, but in a new fashion, much more interesting since in many ways they are free to go around, not having to grab up 80 items and run back to the city. Crafting is awesome, really challenges you to go forward in those maps that you already know.

The WvW is awesome too, since PvE is connected to it, so there is a huge sense of progress. And even my friend who was a PvP-only guys is already hooked in blasting our way through those pesky invaders!!!

PvP is very very good, those tournaments are asking to be e-sport. But laggy servers can be sensed in this beginning (to be fair, these complaints are being filed in the launch day). All in all, the game shines while having some minor bugs or uncomfortable traits (like joining friends in overflow areas are still catchy).
  21. Aug 28, 2012
    Visually stunning, extreme fun gameplay, the game never stops surprising with Dynamic Events. The world changes but not just for me - everyone's actions affect the game itself. Exploration is amazing with hidden caves behind waterfalls, jump puzzles, vistas. Incredible range of choice in character creation and customization. Everyone is playing GW2 - most fun in an MMO that I've had in years.
  22. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is without a doubt the best mmo I have ever played, I'm not going to say its the best game i have ever played but definatly the best mmo. It is so diffrent and fresh there are at least 8 different ways to level up and the events are always fun, personal story quests are just amazing and you can basically guide your way through because you get to choose so many differentGuild Wars 2 is without a doubt the best mmo I have ever played, I'm not going to say its the best game i have ever played but definatly the best mmo. It is so diffrent and fresh there are at least 8 different ways to level up and the events are always fun, personal story quests are just amazing and you can basically guide your way through because you get to choose so many different things.. I never had so much fun crafting and just wandering around for hours in this beautiful world. People are giving terrible reviews for some bugs here and there but dont listen to them every single game has bugs even single player games. And for servers being full they have a very smart way of letting people still play without a que like some other games have. But honestly this game will give you your money's worth. Expand
  23. Aug 28, 2012
    Beautiful game, a welcomed change for people who are sick of collecting 10 wolves noses. The game hasn't been out long enough to pass TRUE judgement on it, but I believe every MMO player should give it a shot and come to their own conclusion.
  24. Aug 28, 2012
    A solid game that is absolutely worth playing. A few launch hiccups and still waiting for the trading post, but for a new MMO launch it's really pretty amazing that it went as smoothly as it did.

The Visuals are great and the quest system does an awesome job at making leveling less of a chore and more of a game, crafting is a blast too.
  25. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a sequel to the lore of the Original Guild Wars. If you are looking for a game that is same game play wise as the first one look else where but this is not necessarily a bad thing. GW2 is a game that takes a wile to get used to the new mechanics and game play style if your coming right off the original. I have ran across a few areas that were bugged but it did not take awayGuild Wars 2 is a sequel to the lore of the Original Guild Wars. If you are looking for a game that is same game play wise as the first one look else where but this is not necessarily a bad thing. GW2 is a game that takes a wile to get used to the new mechanics and game play style if your coming right off the original. I have ran across a few areas that were bugged but it did not take away from the feel of the game Expand
  26. Aug 28, 2012
    Its the best gaming experience I had since the start of wow in 2005. Since then I tried them all. I mean all the other competitors on the mmo market. Age of Conan, Warhammer, LotR ,Rift, Champions Online,Star Trek, Swtor

Found myself getting back to Wow over and over again. It is far too soon to give any real critics because i havent seen the endcontent of this game yet. But I have to say that I enjoy this game very much.
    Thats all.
    I like this game, its beautiful and rewarding.
  27. Aug 28, 2012
    Although Guild wars 2 is not perfect, it is the closest an MMO has been able to get so far. The graphics are absolutely incredible and make the world a joy to explore, though occasional texture bug do occur. The combat is movement based, and heavily reliant on quick reactions and timing. Players will often be able to kill enemies several levels above them through the use of careful dodgingAlthough Guild wars 2 is not perfect, it is the closest an MMO has been able to get so far. The graphics are absolutely incredible and make the world a joy to explore, though occasional texture bug do occur. The combat is movement based, and heavily reliant on quick reactions and timing. Players will often be able to kill enemies several levels above them through the use of careful dodging and skill use. The skill system is more simplistic than Guild wars 1, that is most certainly true. For me, this is a good thing; the complex builds and amount of skills in guild wars 1 were often overwhelming. The Guild wars 2 system trades amount of builds for skilled usage of said builds. However, there are still a surprising amount of builds when you factor in traits and gear. The dynamic event system is truly one of the best things about this game. Events take the place of quests and work to assure that there is always something new and interesting happening in old areas. As for pvp: World vs World is one of the most fun you can have in a game even when you're losing. In the past few days I've seen flanking maneuvers, ambushes, baiting, distraction, and day long sieges. The most disappointing thing about WvW is that it is almost always full on high population servers. The only real negatives of GW2 at the moment is that joining in with friends is sometimes difficult due to the intense server stress over launch. I have no doubt that this will be fixed in the coming days. So, why do I give it a ten? Three reasons: 1. Its the funnest game I have played to date. I have never played a game for more than six hours straight before, but this one had more going on twelve. 2. Because I believe that the small issues that it currently has will be taken care of as the game becomes stable. Arenanet is an awesome company that sincerely listens to its feedback. Expand
  28. Apr 14, 2013
    A few weeks into Guild Wars 2's launch, I wrote a review and gave the game 9 stars for it's leveling experience. A few months later and I haven't touched the game in weeks. Once you hit max level, complete the entire world, run every instance, jump every puzzle, score big trading deals and attempt to make a legendary, you will have no urge to play the game. Zero. Yet, I have put 400 hoursA few weeks into Guild Wars 2's launch, I wrote a review and gave the game 9 stars for it's leveling experience. A few months later and I haven't touched the game in weeks. Once you hit max level, complete the entire world, run every instance, jump every puzzle, score big trading deals and attempt to make a legendary, you will have no urge to play the game. Zero. Yet, I have put 400 hours into the game and loved every second of it. Enjoy the time you have with it, it doesn't last forever. Expand
  29. Aug 28, 2012
    When video games first came out, they were social activities. You went to the arcade and laughed with your friends. Once we started playing at home, it began to lose the social aspect. MMORPG's were invented to re-capture social gaming. Too many aspects of them actually became anti-social: obscene hours required to succeed, outdoor missions that penalized groups, kill stealing, ninjaWhen video games first came out, they were social activities. You went to the arcade and laughed with your friends. Once we started playing at home, it began to lose the social aspect. MMORPG's were invented to re-capture social gaming. Too many aspects of them actually became anti-social: obscene hours required to succeed, outdoor missions that penalized groups, kill stealing, ninja looting, etc. Guild Wars 2 cures these ailments and adds flavors that hearken back to those Pac Man days when you just logged in and had fun playing. This game is built for friends to hang out and play together. But it's also built for strangers to have confidence in meeting new players. You're not going to do anything to hinder another's experience. Help is welcomed in this gorgeous and innovative MMORPG. Regardless of past MMO experience, this game is worth the buy! Expand
  30. Aug 28, 2012
    A true gem, and perhaps what the MMO genre needs so badly. GW2 is an awful lot of fun, as it takes a different route from most mmo's. Gone are the endless 'go here, kill , go there, bring back ' but rather, their quests are more like the public events of Warhammer Online. Plus, skills are no longer slowly fed to you via trainers, but unlocked through a talent system. You start with 5A true gem, and perhaps what the MMO genre needs so badly. GW2 is an awful lot of fun, as it takes a different route from most mmo's. Gone are the endless 'go here, kill , go there, bring back ' but rather, their quests are more like the public events of Warhammer Online. Plus, skills are no longer slowly fed to you via trainers, but unlocked through a talent system. You start with 5 skills, which are subject to change with different weapons - for instance, a sword will grant you 3 moves, and your offhand item the other two. So, there is a large amount of combinations to be had. There is also an overlapping 'main' storyline, which you'll slowly go through as a sort of backbone to the other quests.

Bottom line, it's just plain old fun in an amazingly well put together game. The only issues I have encountered thus far have been technical - as can be expected so close to launch-, but those are sure to be fixed in future patches/
  31. Aug 28, 2012
    The best thing about the Game:
    Non-linear progression
    The best thing about the Game:
    Non-linear progression

Overview: Excellent game focused on exploration and promoting a do what you like attitude towards progression. Throw in two PVP settings that do not impact on one another, (WvW and SPvP) and you get a game with enough variety to keep me gaming for a long time. Additional pluses, no sub. Classes that feel different. Active engaging combat with hidden depth. Excellent Environments. Graphics: Excellent artwork that makes the game and its NPC's/PC's all feel part of the same world. The Norn suffer somewhat in the animation department but this is made up for in the excellent Asura who are amazing to behold in their weird whacky excentric movements. The locales are breath taking and the depth of view is good. The animation holds up in WvW. The biggest criticism would be the "AOE Soup" created when their are a mass of people attacking one enemy.

Gameplay:
    The non linear progression is what trumps the gameplay category. Want to craft great get some exp. how about doing some dynamic events sure that works too. Whatever you do you get experience (with the exception of SPvP. I have mostly played with an exploration focus so far and even doing jumping puzzles nets some good xp so you are always having fun, being varied and progressing. Add into this the nature of SPvP giving an esports dynamic to the game and you have no reason on to purchase it.

Content:
    For the price this game costs there is no title to date that offers more re playability for the amount of money (NO SUB). The world is filled with rich dynamic events that are exceptionally fun and scale well. The de-leveling system allows exploration into zones you may have missed. The ongoing WvW fights will suck up any serious PvP players. You could even play this as sole pvp arena style game and still get your money's worth.

10, 10 10!! Closing Comment:
    It has some flaws but these are outweighed by the sheer volume of content for the box price. a must buy!

2. Jan 2, 2013