• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Aug 28, 2012
7.9

1. Sep 2, 2012
    This game is amazing. i love wow and all blizzard games but this game is better than wow in almost every way. all the young kids or ignorant adults that are giving this game a 0 because there computer sucks or has no good maintenance are stupid and quickly show that they wont ever rate any game fairly. for one, they gave the game a 0 on day 1 of release. which shows they didnt even botherThis game is amazing. i love wow and all blizzard games but this game is better than wow in almost every way. all the young kids or ignorant adults that are giving this game a 0 because there computer sucks or has no good maintenance are stupid and quickly show that they wont ever rate any game fairly. for one, they gave the game a 0 on day 1 of release. which shows they didnt even bother to check the whole game out before reviewing it. or they can just be wow fanboys. a lot of work had to go in this game from what i see and i cant disrespect the developer by giving them a 0 because the game has a few bugs or small launch issues that will be fixed. when diablo came out it was unplayable for me because i would get kicked every 30 seconds but as frustrated as i was, i didnt come in here and gave them a 0. the problem is now fixed and the game is great. metacritic needs to figure out how to get these dumb 0 score reviewers out of here soon. be fair with this game and all games and dont hate or be mad that your computer sucks and makes the game play like crap. this is the wow killer and i love wow but i admit that this is it. but now is diablo, starcraft and guildwars 2 from now on for me. Expand
  2. Aug 29, 2012
    I've played Ultima Online, World of Warcraft, Star Trek online, Dungeons and Dragons online, Rift, Guild Wars 1 and this is by far the best MMO I've ever played. I would recommend it to everyone!
  3. Aug 28, 2012
    Overall an amazing game, visuals, the world, pvp, the RPG of it is all better than gw1 except the the weapon skills. I have no idea why they did it but its **** awful. it completely eliminates the strategy part of gw1 in favor of a more hack and slash system where any monkey with a keyboard could win.
  4. Sep 21, 2012
    Phenomenal game. It removes a lot of the things I hate about MMOs (monthly fee, gear grinds, pointless time sinks, the holy trinity of classes) and adds a bunch of great things (rewards for exploration, jumping puzzles, dynamic combat, branching story lines, "open" quests). There's a lot of value here for $60.
  5. Aug 29, 2012
    This is honestly the game that made me remember why I'm a PC gamer and brought all my hope back to PC gaming.I give it a 10 because it deserves it. The things I noticed that were wrong were very little and they had no effect on the actual game-play so I didn't care. When you focus on the small bugs about a game and say the game sucks because of it, you should just give up right thereThis is honestly the game that made me remember why I'm a PC gamer and brought all my hope back to PC gaming.I give it a 10 because it deserves it. The things I noticed that were wrong were very little and they had no effect on the actual game-play so I didn't care. When you focus on the small bugs about a game and say the game sucks because of it, you should just give up right there because there is no hope for you in the video game world. Anyway, the devs pretty much thought of everything in this game. No more grinding enemies, no more loading up on quests. It's all about the dynamic events and exploration that make this game so incredible. I keep forgetting that I have a story mission to do because I keep getting caught up in doing events and exploring all the areas. When I play this, I play it for hours on end because there is so much to do and I have to force myself to stop playing. One problem I've had with other MMOs are, what I call, stand-stills, where you run out of quests for your level and you are no where near leveling and you stand there trying to figure out what to do so then are forced to grind enemies. This game doesn't have that at all because of all the events you can do. After reading what the negative users have said about this game makes me sick. This is, in my opinion, an incredibly awesome-made game. Just a few things: 1. MMOs are bound to have a few bugs at first but the ones in this game are so minimal to the actual game-play that I just carry on with the game. 2. This game doesn't have quests so what is broken? All it has is your story mission, tasks, and events and all of them are fine with me and I should know because I played a different character in all the beta events and stress tests and found very little problems and guess what, they didn't bother me. 3. The graphics in this game are awesome. It is hard to make a game look original these days so quit crying because it looks too much like WoW which, also in my opinion, it looks nothing like WoW. Also, one thing that I think is just pure genius when it comes to this game is the W v W (World vs. World). It basically takes after Dark Age of Camelot with the sieges and keep raids. I loved that game 10 years ago and this game brought back so many good memories of it. This game is so much better then WoW that words cannot describe it. So anyway, to sum it up, Guild Wars 2 was definitely worth the wait. I was excited for the release just as much as I was just to play it during a beta event for 3 days or a stress test for 3 hours. I love this game. That's all I can say. Collapse
  6. Aug 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game, I leveled to 40 in the last few days and it's so fun! Instant lvl 80 PvP is great and the combat feels very smooth. I also did the first dungeon which was quite the challenge, I can't wait to to lvl 80 dungeons. The MMO tasks you do are the same like in other MMO's but the content is presented in a very unique way. Dynamic events are brilliant and really make the world seem alive. The servers were only down for 3 hours so far which is great for a such a big launch. Only downside are some bugs with the trading post but I'll forgive them for that. Expand
  7. Sep 4, 2012
    New era in MMO has begun! The main feature of the Guild Wars 2 is completely new level of quality, brand new and exciting combat system and a dynamic world, we did not know before. The game is very complex and multilayered. But oddly enough she gets a lot more exciting. The fact is that in addition to the latitude of the world, we get also the depth and breadth of the game mechanics withNew era in MMO has begun! The main feature of the Guild Wars 2 is completely new level of quality, brand new and exciting combat system and a dynamic world, we did not know before. The game is very complex and multilayered. But oddly enough she gets a lot more exciting. The fact is that in addition to the latitude of the world, we get also the depth and breadth of the game mechanics with all its newness.
    Absolute hit, game grabs you for a long time.
  8. Sep 12, 2012
    There are a lot of people throwing poor reviews at this game to be edgy, and it's pretty unfair. I've played dozens of MMOs, from launch, including WoW, Warhammer, City of Heroes/Villains, Rift, UO, EQ, Champions Online, SWTOR, Asheron's Call 1 & 2, and countless others. This game is better than the best parts of all of them. It polishes every mechanic, every zone, every experience to aThere are a lot of people throwing poor reviews at this game to be edgy, and it's pretty unfair. I've played dozens of MMOs, from launch, including WoW, Warhammer, City of Heroes/Villains, Rift, UO, EQ, Champions Online, SWTOR, Asheron's Call 1 & 2, and countless others. This game is better than the best parts of all of them. It polishes every mechanic, every zone, every experience to a brilliant gleaming shine. I didn't raid more than 3-4 nights, total, in the 5+ years I played WoW, through every expansion up to a month after Cataclysm's launch. I'm a PvPer at heart, and become bored if the combat is in any way unresponsive (Warhammer, Rift, SWTOR, Champions Online, etc) or if the game itself can't compel me to reach maximum level.

This game has me enjoying leveling so much that I'm not quite maximum level yet, simply enjoying the process. I hate leveling. And I love leveling in Guild Wars 2. It's incredible. I've barely scratched World versus World and structured PvP, and those are my main goals in the long term. On top of that, the combat is responsive and unique, requiring awareness of what's going on outside your UI. There are no enemy cast bars. There is no "healer" or "tank" class, every class can do a bit of everything in different ways.

The game world is gorgeous, the character customization is extensive, the content is refreshing and avoids being monotonous. This is the best MMO I've ever played, not because its predecessors were terrible, but because it learned from everything they did and avoided every mistake, while approaching each part of an MMORPG from a new, creative angle. I give this 10/10 without hesitation after just over two weeks of playing, over a hundred hours in total.
  9. Dec 29, 2012
    First off I would like to say i have tried other mmos. played the wow starter edition thought it was very childish and combat was very boring. so then i bought the secret world when it became subsription less becasue i am very into all the illumanati templar stuff. was ok but the interface was kind of confusing and combat was meh but the story was pretty cool. i was at gamestop one dayFirst off I would like to say i have tried other mmos. played the wow starter edition thought it was very childish and combat was very boring. so then i bought the secret world when it became subsription less becasue i am very into all the illumanati templar stuff. was ok but the interface was kind of confusing and combat was meh but the story was pretty cool. i was at gamestop one day and a friend of a friend told me to try out guild wars 2. i bought it and have loved every minute of it. i dont rate games by anything other than fun factor becasue really thats all that matters and gw2 gets a ten. charachter creation is really neat and the world is beautiful. just the art direction and creativity is astounding. the combat is also very very fun. the cool thing is u can just be exploring and all f a sudden a random big event happens and you and a whole bunch of people just go do it gain gold and exp. overall very fun if you are thinking about getting this game you really should i cant see you not having a good time.

prepper out
  10. Sep 10, 2012
    Fun game play. Nice Graphics. bye trinity, good riddance. Funnest MMORPG I have played in a while. Recommended for everyone.

See you all in game.
  11. Nov 1, 2013
    I'm not one for long, drawn-out reviews, so I'll keep it short and sweet. Every MMO I've tried in the past e.g. Star Wars: TOR and WoW, bored me tears within the first 30 minutes. I really didn't understand why people played MMOs, until I tried GW2. This game is crazy fun, and it runs really well. I'm thoroughly enjoying GW2. To me, GW2 feels like if Torchlight 2 (one of my favorite gamesI'm not one for long, drawn-out reviews, so I'll keep it short and sweet. Every MMO I've tried in the past e.g. Star Wars: TOR and WoW, bored me tears within the first 30 minutes. I really didn't understand why people played MMOs, until I tried GW2. This game is crazy fun, and it runs really well. I'm thoroughly enjoying GW2. To me, GW2 feels like if Torchlight 2 (one of my favorite games of all-time) and Skyrim had a baby.

I would advise to have a decent CPU and GPU for this game, and at least 8 GB of RAM. I'm running a FX-4100 (overclocked to 4.4GHz) and a EVGA GTX 560 non-Ti (overclocked to a superclocked version of my card). I get 40-60fps most places, almost maxed out, but I need to turn off shadows and reflections for boss fights or WvW. Next step, FX-8350 and maybe an AMD 7950 or GTX-670.
  12. Sep 27, 2012
    An amazing game! I especially like the exploration part of hidden caves and dungeons spread around the world which in general reward you with loot chests or special events.
  13. Sep 19, 2012
    First, as a GW VETERAN there are some things I can say as negative. Problem (or not so much) is that GW2 works, and it works very well. Could it be better with henchman? with monks? With the old currency, without damn repair and pay for map travel?? sure. But it's still a FAT 10 out of 10 to me. It's beautiful and huge and a pleasure to play.
  14. Sep 3, 2012
    Absolutely amazing game. This is the mmo that I've been waiting for. A wonderfully beautiful pve experience and a skill based meaning full pvp system! If you're an mmo fan, you are doing yourself a dis-service by not playing this game!
  15. Aug 29, 2012
    Pay2Win is nonexistent. Ridiculous complaint. Everything in the shop is cosmetic or "boosts", and leveling is already really short. Plus the same also accepts in-game gold, just needs to be converted. (3gold will basically buy you anything in the store plus change) Actions appear disjointed until one gets used to them. Not as flashy as TERA, but actually more indepth in terms of not justPay2Win is nonexistent. Ridiculous complaint. Everything in the shop is cosmetic or "boosts", and leveling is already really short. Plus the same also accepts in-game gold, just needs to be converted. (3gold will basically buy you anything in the store plus change) Actions appear disjointed until one gets used to them. Not as flashy as TERA, but actually more indepth in terms of not just tab+attack. Incredibly huge world. Perhaps the greatest World PVP system since DAOC. Dungeons similar to WoW, Aion, and TERA. A bit harder. By far the most content of any MMO besides WoW. This is a real competitor, and a great game. Expand
  16. Sep 21, 2012
    great game, great graphics, not too happy that sPvP is seperate from the main game, I guess there is WvW for that. on that note, WvW brings back the good old memories of RvR from DAOC.
  17. Sep 9, 2012
    I recently thought this game was bad and rated it accordingly, however i felt like i had not given it a proper chance. After playing the game a bit longer I have learned it is not as basic and simple as I have thought, now it is really starting to pull me in. Great game 10/10
  18. Sep 3, 2012
    Played the betas, and read all the hype. I'm max level now, and it was even BETTER than expected. By FAR the most meaningful dynamic combat system in any MMO, despite not advertising it. Dodging and positioning actually matters in this game, unlike TERA or Mabinogi Legends where it's mostly for show. If you're not dodging in the endgame dungeons, you're gonna die. That's it. Graphics notPlayed the betas, and read all the hype. I'm max level now, and it was even BETTER than expected. By FAR the most meaningful dynamic combat system in any MMO, despite not advertising it. Dodging and positioning actually matters in this game, unlike TERA or Mabinogi Legends where it's mostly for show. If you're not dodging in the endgame dungeons, you're gonna die. That's it. Graphics not the best but big MMOs always have toned down graphics to attract more people. GREAT armor design. Not stupidly sexy or ridiculously fantastic, but fashionable and realistic. The only game with similar amount of content is WoW. SWTOR, Aion, TERA, Secret World etc don't even come close. And best of all, NO PAY2WIN. Only pay4skins. There isn't a single item in the shop that makes you better at PvP. Like Guild Wars 1, GW2 has staying power. Games like Aion and Rift quickly dropped to a few thousand concurrent players, GW1 still has several times that amount after 7 years. GW2 will be even better. Expand
  19. Sep 2, 2012
    Best game I've played in 5 years, great gameplay mechanics, decent story line, great art and the best part? no subscription fees, the Auction House system is amazing, its like actually trading stocks. I can't count all the innovative features, including the skill system, everything felt easy, like I was never grinding, quest are easy and the majority are autojoin, no more looking forBest game I've played in 5 years, great gameplay mechanics, decent story line, great art and the best part? no subscription fees, the Auction House system is amazing, its like actually trading stocks. I can't count all the innovative features, including the skill system, everything felt easy, like I was never grinding, quest are easy and the majority are autojoin, no more looking for groups. the fighting mechanics are amazing with lots of action fighting mechanics, much better than tera.

Guildwars2 thanks for restoring my faith that mmos can be great again.
  20. Sep 4, 2012
    One of those games where you can tell the artists just sat back and enjoyed themselves. They level of detail to areas shows that the designers put their hearts into each and every little thing. I couldn't really compare the level of detail with any other mmo. I think it looks more like Dark Souls and even has the combat moves influenced by it. Each move does something distinct. MostOne of those games where you can tell the artists just sat back and enjoyed themselves. They level of detail to areas shows that the designers put their hearts into each and every little thing. I couldn't really compare the level of detail with any other mmo. I think it looks more like Dark Souls and even has the combat moves influenced by it. Each move does something distinct. Most mmos have the problem with having too much clutter. In Guild wars, you have the option. You can switch between weapons at level 11 making your combat even more unique. Ultimately the game is 60 bucks with no monthly fee. They don't ask for a credit card to keep on hold. Why is it that when a company has your credit card information they are bound to take at least one payment? I don't remember guild wars that much but it doesn't matter, Guild Wars 2 doesn't want you to. It does everything new, it's a new game with great features and an easy to get into but difficult to master atmosphere. This is no baby mmo like Wow. It has it's fair share of challenges and some stages can require some tact. Still if you have a decent PC pick this up you won't regret it. Expand
  21. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is notable in the MMO genre, as it is the first big budget title in at least 5 years to attempt to innovate beyond the traditional hotkey 'holy trinity' (tank/dps/healer) model popularized with Everquest years ago and carried forward by WoW.

This review comes at the time of the end of the 3 day head start. There are a handful of problems at the moment that I presume will be resolved in the near future and so my review will not penalize Arenanet for this troubles -- primarily around guild administrative functionality (lag) and the trading post.

Graphics. Its the first game in years that has such a strongly realised art design; perhaps since the Mass Effect franchise, and its the first fantasy title in years that compares to Blizzard's in house design team. Running an ATI 7750 on a first gen i5 quad core, I can maintain ~50-60 fps for 1650x1080 at high settings. There are people with performance problems today, though, but both drivers are continually being updated and Arenanet is constantly tweaking and tuning performance. Tom's Hardware has a good review of GW2 performance, to give you a sense of what works well and what is still problematic. Gameplay. Innovative. Core mechanics are almost entirely unlocked by level 10, the game is very responsive (tight controls) and content is immediately challenging in the starting zone -- this is very refreshing after 'collect 10 boar hides' with rudimentary abilities in other MMOs. The world feels much more alive than other MMOs with static quests or staged events. Crafting is deep and nuanced. There's a personal storyline for your character, that behaves similarly to SW:TOR's core class stories. There is quite a large amount of voice acting too.

The best thing about guild wars 2, is that its a one time purchase. You get a persistent world, with modern graphics and several innovations on traditional MMO mechanics... without a recurring subscription. GW2 looks to put new downward pressure on the cost of MMOs, while simultaneously raising the bar for group play and quality of execution (graphics, music, gameplay). Definitely a top 10 of the year title, and potentially a #1.
  22. Aug 28, 2012
    A true gem, and perhaps what the MMO genre needs so badly. GW2 is an awful lot of fun, as it takes a different route from most mmo's. Gone are the endless 'go here, kill , go there, bring back ' but rather, their quests are more like the public events of Warhammer Online. Plus, skills are no longer slowly fed to you via trainers, but unlocked through a talent system. You start with 5A true gem, and perhaps what the MMO genre needs so badly. GW2 is an awful lot of fun, as it takes a different route from most mmo's. Gone are the endless 'go here, kill , go there, bring back ' but rather, their quests are more like the public events of Warhammer Online. Plus, skills are no longer slowly fed to you via trainers, but unlocked through a talent system. You start with 5 skills, which are subject to change with different weapons - for instance, a sword will grant you 3 moves, and your offhand item the other two. So, there is a large amount of combinations to be had. There is also an overlapping 'main' storyline, which you'll slowly go through as a sort of backbone to the other quests.

Bottom line, it's just plain old fun in an amazingly well put together game. The only issues I have encountered thus far have been technical - as can be expected so close to launch-, but those are sure to be fixed in future patches/
  23. Sep 10, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a revolution. The way how it all works together is amazing. You gain experience almost from everything you do, so you no longer need to play it for 20 000 hours to reach the best equip and to enjoy high level instances. I am playing a norn ranger and it is so much fun, with all the pets you can tame and all the skillsets you can use. Another thing is the enviroment, it isGuild Wars 2 is a revolution. The way how it all works together is amazing. You gain experience almost from everything you do, so you no longer need to play it for 20 000 hours to reach the best equip and to enjoy high level instances. I am playing a norn ranger and it is so much fun, with all the pets you can tame and all the skillsets you can use. Another thing is the enviroment, it is stunning. Despite the problems with the trading post I must say it is a game that really deserves the 10/10 Expand
  24. Sep 1, 2012
    I give my mark without testing pvp but still that what i played give me enough fun to say its great game. We get almost evrything what WoW couldnt give us + even more.
  25. Aug 28, 2012
    Visually stunning, extreme fun gameplay, the game never stops surprising with Dynamic Events. The world changes but not just for me - everyone's actions affect the game itself. Exploration is amazing with hidden caves behind waterfalls, jump puzzles, vistas. Incredible range of choice in character creation and customization. Everyone is playing GW2 - most fun in an MMO that I've had in years.
  26. Aug 31, 2012
    10/10 damn it! This game is amazing. Not by any means, a average mmo. In fact it blows all others out of the park. There is absolutely no grinding for levels, (unless you of course wan't to get to lvl 80 fast) no annoying unresponsive combat, and is a beautiful game graphically. Separate pvp is a seamless addition to the game and is fun when you want to take a break. Best part no10/10 damn it! This game is amazing. Not by any means, a average mmo. In fact it blows all others out of the park. There is absolutely no grinding for levels, (unless you of course wan't to get to lvl 80 fast) no annoying unresponsive combat, and is a beautiful game graphically. Separate pvp is a seamless addition to the game and is fun when you want to take a break. Best part no subscription fee. Expand
  27. Aug 28, 2012
    An absolutely gorgeous and polished game that does away with the irksome game systems (grinding, holy trinity, constant time-sinks, filler content) of MMOs while reiterating the best ones. The love and passion ArenaNet has put into this game truly shows and it's worth every penny.
  28. Aug 31, 2012
    This game got old mechanics, improved them and put them all together into an awesome fantastic world. Quests have been replaced by dynamic event chains, that react to player actions (success/failure will lead to different events). World versus world is a three faction world pvp mode with towers, castles, siege weapons, and lots of strategy... going zergway will lead you to disaster,This game got old mechanics, improved them and put them all together into an awesome fantastic world. Quests have been replaced by dynamic event chains, that react to player actions (success/failure will lead to different events). World versus world is a three faction world pvp mode with towers, castles, siege weapons, and lots of strategy... going zergway will lead you to disaster, cooperation is a must. Structured PvP is very competitive and demands ability. The personal story lines are fantastic, served with the perfect dose of fun and drama. Expand
  29. Sep 19, 2012
    Most fun I've had in an MMO. The game is beautiful, tons of fun and addicting for all! The pve, pvp, and WvWvW is all amazing and really well done. Finally a game where you can do whatever you want.. Explore, do dungeons, pvp, WvW, and more! Also, this game is harder than your average MMO. Which is good! Who doesn't like a challenge?
  30. Sep 4, 2012
    GW2 is a groundbreaking, genre busting MMO. It introduces so many new gameplay concepts in the areas of combat, questing, crafting, travel, and more. The gameplay in GW2 emphasises minimal downtime and maximises fun activities. No grouping is required and there is no such thing as kill stealing. It naturally funnels players together to cooperate to complete quests, explore, and take downGW2 is a groundbreaking, genre busting MMO. It introduces so many new gameplay concepts in the areas of combat, questing, crafting, travel, and more. The gameplay in GW2 emphasises minimal downtime and maximises fun activities. No grouping is required and there is no such thing as kill stealing. It naturally funnels players together to cooperate to complete quests, explore, and take down world bosses. The combat system is active and direction based. There is no holy trinity and any player can fulfill many roles.

GW2 has a high level of polish and the artwork and music are sublime. The achievement system is extensive and there is also a guild achievement system. Everything you do in the game will earn you achievements, money, and experience. If you are tired of the same old MMO gameplay then you must try GW2. Leave what you know about "traditional" MMO's at the door and embrace the new gameplay concepts GW2 offers. This is the best MMO I have played in almost 8 years and has rejuvenated my interest in the genre. You won't be disappointed!
  31. Dec 12, 2012
    I give a 10 to Guild Wars 2, not because this game is perfect, but because it's the best MMORPG in the world right now. In the years i tried a lot of MMORPG, and Guild Wars 2 is the only one that give me that feeling of "this is so fun to play!", not just that "OMG i need to grind 120345 more times to buy that sword, ARRRRRRR"
  32. Sep 8, 2012
    Fresh, innovative, social... Guild Wars 2 has it all and a lot more. Beautiful Art and Graphics, wonderful Soundtrack by the messiah of the Games Industry Jeremy Soule, 3 Worlds in glorious and ever changing Battles, structured Team PvP, etc. the list goes on and on and on. No Subscription Fee, No Pay-to-Win, No **** To quote a famous Youtube Critic: Bad-Ass Seal of Approval 10/10,Fresh, innovative, social... Guild Wars 2 has it all and a lot more. Beautiful Art and Graphics, wonderful Soundtrack by the messiah of the Games Industry Jeremy Soule, 3 Worlds in glorious and ever changing Battles, structured Team PvP, etc. the list goes on and on and on. No Subscription Fee, No Pay-to-Win, No **** To quote a famous Youtube Critic: Bad-Ass Seal of Approval 10/10, Legendary Status.

This is the first MMO of the next Generation. Not a revolution, but a huge step of evolution. And a call to to arms for the entire Industry.
  33. Sep 5, 2012
    Looks great, feels great, sounds great, plays great, runs great. PvP is perfectly balanced, PvE is dynamic and interesting, World vs World is always changing and has such an epic scale. The Music is by Jeremy Soule. The achievements system rewards you for every aspect of the game, which is good, because this is the best MMORPG ever created.
  34. Sep 25, 2012
    This game is the culmination of the evolution of both free to play, and subscription MMOs. The game design and art are superb, and the microtransaction/auction system is amazing. Cant say enough good things about this game. p.s. Also, lots of replayability between races in terms of story.
  35. Aug 28, 2012
    There is not that much to say about this game.

It's a masterpiece, a living and breathing piece of wonderful art.

Thank you, ArenaNet, for creating one of the most beautiful MMORPG's ever.
  36. Sep 3, 2012
    The game brought everything that was promised. It's an excellent example of an mmo that tries something different successfully. A purchase is definitely recommended.
  37. Sep 11, 2012
    Amazing Game, unlike any other mmo when it come to leveling.
    Experience is gained from almost doing anything, from crafting to exploring and all things in between.
    There is something for every type of player, no need to play 500 hours to feel your character is getting some wear. Anet's very strict enforcement of the rules is making the play experience that much better, I am sure many
    Amazing Game, unlike any other mmo when it come to leveling.

Anet's very strict enforcement of the rules is making the play experience that much better, I am sure many casual players are familiar with the "rage" that follows when 1 mistake is made.
    NO such thing in Guild Wars 2, unlike some other MMO's where abuse of fellow players is ignored
    Suspensions and bans are handed out to the abusive players.

No need to be afraid to try something new because you don't know if some other player is going to start harassing you for not knowing how to play your first time.
  38. Aug 31, 2012
    This game impressed me in closed beta both in quality and amount of things to keep me busy. The map flow is impressive given the event locations are nonlinear. It's the first time I've played an MMO in years that has offered me a challenge, looked beautiful, and kept me wanting more. I also am impressed with the fact that the dev team made leveling a bit of a challenge and seemed to wantThis game impressed me in closed beta both in quality and amount of things to keep me busy. The map flow is impressive given the event locations are nonlinear. It's the first time I've played an MMO in years that has offered me a challenge, looked beautiful, and kept me wanting more. I also am impressed with the fact that the dev team made leveling a bit of a challenge and seemed to want it to be an important part of the game rather than a quick grind to max level/endgame content... and looking at the amount of leveling content and the quality of it, I can see why. This game makes me want to explore every corner of every map, tame as many creatures as I can, and learn as much about the lore of the world as I can absorb. Also, the crafting system is fun, allowing you to discover new recipes and enhancement items rather than just serving you up the recipes and making you sit and grind out a hundred of one item.

Congratulations to the ArenaNet team on an amazing accomplishment. You've taken a bitter old hardcore MMO gamer and made her a believer in the genre again.
  39. Oct 5, 2012
    A great well rounded and well polished new MMO. 8 distinctive classes that all have their own feel and play style. Some great improvements to the MMORPG genre without trying to change what isn't broken.
    Just like GW1, there is no subscription. Unlike many other MMOs out there where you're paying a monthly fee and getting very little for that fee, GW2 gives excellent value for the box price. I really don't think I could go back to standard MMO static combat that other titles in the genre seem content to offer. Combat in GW2 is a lot more fluid and active. Broker/AH/Trade Post is also the best I've seen in an MMO to date, not without flaws, but it's game wide, not limited by listing durations and you can set buy prices for items you're looking for.
    Only thing I personally miss is raiding, some challenge PVE wise to bring players together to overcome. WvW just doesn't do it for me, fun sure, but not in the same routine way that raiding was in the older generation MMOs.
  40. Apr 5, 2014
    16 months and 3000 ours spent: this is still the best MMORPG on the market and this year, with more competition, it's really going to stand out.

Putting 10/10 in an effort to slow down haters and people who clearly didn't play it :P
  41. Aug 29, 2012
    realy realy realy beautifull!

i havn't had this feeling since vanilla/tbc WoW. and i'm serious! have been waiting on diablo 3 since WOTLK and i got very dissapointed after all those years waiting, and i must say that i havn't felt this feeling that i have in GW 2 in YEARS. this game rocks, it looks nice, combat is cool, environment rocks!, custumization is nice, most important it
    realy realy realy beautifull!

i havn't had this feeling since vanilla/tbc WoW. and i'm serious!

this game rocks, it looks nice, combat is cool, environment rocks!, custumization is nice, most important it plays fluid en cool! and heck it has no subscribtion!

I thought i was going to play diablo3 for 5/10 years, but i havn't seen this fun since the release of it!
    Guild wars took my heart within the beta's and now when it is released it swallowed me even more.

Can't wait to get home and continue the pvp tournament i started yesterday :D

i'm on my work right now and i realy miss it to play my character, well if that occurs i really know the game is good!
  42. Aug 28, 2012
    The next evolution in MMO gaming. It may not be revolutionary as an entire package, though there are some revolutionary ideas like the Overflow servers. GW2 will easily become the next touchstone for all MMO games to follow as WoW was before it. GW2 takes the same approach WoW took when it revolutionized the MMORPG genre - take what works, make it better, throw out what doesn't work and doThe next evolution in MMO gaming. It may not be revolutionary as an entire package, though there are some revolutionary ideas like the Overflow servers. GW2 will easily become the next touchstone for all MMO games to follow as WoW was before it. GW2 takes the same approach WoW took when it revolutionized the MMORPG genre - take what works, make it better, throw out what doesn't work and do something better. PvE via Dynamic Events, structured PvP, World vs. World and a host of other game elements like crafting, exploration, and community friendly open world interaction make this MMO a gem the likes of which we haven't seen in ages.

GW2 brings back that sense of wanderlust and adventure and just plain FUN many of us MMO veterans have felt the genre has been lacking for far too long.

Best of all, there is no subscription fee and despite a few launch hiccups Anet has delivered a AAA quality title at a F2P price point. If you are a fan of RPGs and/or MMORPG's you need to buy GW2. Period.
  43. Sep 27, 2012
    This game is definitely one of the best games I have ever played, and THE best MMORPG out there at this, and a much longer, time. Everything from graphics to storyline are beautifully done. The game can pleasure your needs as a gamer by being able to level up multiple ways (and if you are tired or in the mood for a change, it's easy!), anywhere from watering flowers, to exploring, toThis game is definitely one of the best games I have ever played, and THE best MMORPG out there at this, and a much longer, time. Everything from graphics to storyline are beautifully done. The game can pleasure your needs as a gamer by being able to level up multiple ways (and if you are tired or in the mood for a change, it's easy!), anywhere from watering flowers, to exploring, to bashing people with beer kegs, and even to intense fast-paced huge scale battles in World Versus World Versus World. Even though it is a bit buggy (still one of the most bug-free MMO releases to date though), a bit slow game support, and missing a few things, it is nice to know that the amazing game developers are always working on a fix 24/7. The game really allows you to play how YOU want, alone, with a party, or even in a giant group. The personal story line mixed with the originality of the races, and professions, really makes you feel different from the crowd. There is always something more to do in GW2, all with no subscription fee! I definitely recommend this game to any gamers library. See you in-game! Expand
  44. Aug 28, 2012
    I have played mmos since everyquest back in the days. Everything from ragnarok online, ffxi, wow, matrix online lol, guild wars 1, eve, aion, archlord... you name it. I spend my college years deep loving mmos. Now im an adult with a full time job and family and not as much time to play mmos.

Guild wars 2 allows me to play mmos again and live my life!!!. Finally an mmo suited for me. An mmo hardcore enough to suit my needs for challenge and casual enough to allow me to play at my own pace! The dream.

Guild wars 2 has amazing graphics. Beautiful animations and an epic soundtrack. The client is amazingly stable and smooth. Classes are fun and engaging and waaay different than most mmos. Races are beautiful too.

The game makes you want to explore all the huge world and if you are a completionist.. hell, you will have a ton to complete here. The game was made to play with others, not to compete and fight with people. there is no silly kill steals or node steals, everyone fights to achieve a common goal and it works!

So far the game has exceeded all my expectations. The mmo innovates on every angle. Dont believe people who say the game is good... or bad. I say go play it and make your own judgement, you wont regret it. Also no monthly fee is awesome!
  45. Aug 28, 2012
    I played the Original and This sequel fit the bill PERFECTLY on gameplay fun and bring back all the fuzzy memories of the original!

PvP is a lot of fun and OMG complex in the best of ways! The lack of level grinding is a HUGE Plus for me Yes cap is 80 but you dont get to lvl 80 through conventional means of killing 20 or so boars its about exploration of the world and exploring your character and making fun yet interesting decisions on your way though the story!

if you havent already i recommend buying this game if your a fan or Guild wars 1 or your fresh eyes on this Product!
  46. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is really impressive and for a person that plays games lightly...I truly do appreciate the effort in making this a very magical experience-dynamic events and personalizing characters as needed makes this a really great game. I have not been bored with this game and have only seen 5% of the world after a good 20+ hours of gaming.
  47. Sep 24, 2012
    This game is the best mmo out there, my biggest problem is my credit card got hacked shortly after buying it. Thus it is a great game without safe purchase methods
  48. Aug 28, 2012
    Smoothest MMO launch in the history of the genre and one of the most innovative MMOs in the industry, as well as just plainly fun.
    Take everything that you thought you knew about MMORPGs and throw it out the window, this game isn't anything like what you've played in the past. All of the boring, and dull things that run rampant in the MMO genre like a disease are absent in this game.
    Skills, attacks and combat are dynamic and everything matters. For once standing behind a pillar when something attacks you will actually save you, and sometimes the pillar may even crumble under a brutal attack, leaving you exposed to another attack. You can dodge out of the way of attacks, avoiding damage all together. You can actually move while attacking. If you like to explore virtual worlds then are you in for a treat, there are tons of areas to explore and a very large chunk of experience to reward you for exploring regions of the map.
    The sidekick system keeps you from drastically out leveling content, by scaling down your character to at most of 2 levels above the content of the area the character is in. You can actually go play with your friends and/or family without having to waste time or feel generally unrewarded for doing so, because guess what you'll still gain all the relevant rewards as if you were out and about in an area more appropriate to your character's actual level. When armor or weapon loot drops the item level is in a very close range of what you're character's actual level is, sometimes even above, so yes you can kill a level 1 centaur and get a level 80 2 handed axe while helping out someone new to the game.
    Speaking of helping people out, this game removes any form of penalty MMORPG's usually place on playing with other people. Mobs don't get tagged, if you do damage to it, you are rewarded xp and loot. People working on the same quests or events in your area doesn't slow down your progression, it actually speeds it up. Loot is always dropped on a personal basis, no loot roles or fights.
    Speaking of loots and fights, the game has truly epic fights, the scale of which has not been seen in the genre for a long time. The game by design has zero raiding, as set up by EQ and WoW. There is no instance of a dungeon where you need to gather a large number of people in order to then decide who gets what on boss drops. Instead there are these huge outdoor dynamic events that players can trigger and participate in. Then when all is said and done, everyone gets their own loot, with at least once piece (usually get anywhere from 3 to 5) being an upgrade of some sort.

The pvp in the game is awesome. The game was built nearly from the ground up to support PvP rather than have PvE built first with PvP then added on later, hence why the combat for the game is so amazing. There are two general forms, there is the Structured pvp, and the World vs World pvp.
    Structured pvp are capture the area to accumulate point races.
    Then World vs World is an insanely large map where servers are pitted against one another with keeps, castles, siege weapons, varried terrain, npc mercenaries, basically everything needed to make huge epic battles. To top it all off it's not just one server against another, it's three servers in a free for all, and the fight is always going on. Various landmarks such as towers, farms, lumber camps, keeps and castles are tallied up every hour or so and the servers holding them are awarded points, with a final point count made at the end of a week. Then servers are ranked and then everything starts over again with evenly ranked servers fighting against one another.

Going back to PvE the personal story and level of customization for characters is amazing and blows away anything done in the past. The personal story you set up puts a lot of emphasis on your choices, make poor choices, or choose things that you don't have your heart set and you'll probably end up with a crummy story. On the other hand if you pick your choices carefully you can end up with a truly awesome story, like a 007 pirate (yes that is a real option, pick carefully!).

The crafting system is awesome and I've run into a lot of people that have gotten just absorbed into it, people who normally don't like crafting systems. To start off with, crafting supplies don't take room in your inventory for the most part, you pick them up, and you can then send them to a personal stash from anywhere in the world, and then when you go to a crafting table inside a major city or town you then have access to that stash, and you can begin crafting. You can either stick with recipes trainers will give you, or you can try to experiment with various pieces and if you discover something new you are rewarded with lots of skill points in that craft.
  49. Aug 29, 2012
    Playing this game feels like taking a aspirin, after the disappointing game releases of 2012. Unlike other games of this genera out on the market, this is the first one that encourages open world exploration, teamwork, and also encourages people into being friendly because they are rewarded for such a feat. If you see a other player in peril you are rewarded for helping him, The open worldPlaying this game feels like taking a aspirin, after the disappointing game releases of 2012. Unlike other games of this genera out on the market, this is the first one that encourages open world exploration, teamwork, and also encourages people into being friendly because they are rewarded for such a feat. If you see a other player in peril you are rewarded for helping him, The open world pvp is balanced, (believe it or not) with every class using their special trait in massively open world pvp. Guardians taking the vanguard, with warriors on the flanks, rangers, and engineers behind them ready to unleash a sea of arrows upon the enemy horde. And spell casters to protect the armies with barriers and enchantments. Expand
  50. Aug 28, 2012
    Awesome game and awesome value. The game is well designed and highly refined. The graphics and the world they created are incredible. This game is so deep, there is so much to do and so much to learn, and every thing is well thought out and balanced. It definitely has a different feel from any other MMO I've played, in a good way. There are a lot of good ideas here that have beenAwesome game and awesome value. The game is well designed and highly refined. The graphics and the world they created are incredible. This game is so deep, there is so much to do and so much to learn, and every thing is well thought out and balanced. It definitely has a different feel from any other MMO I've played, in a good way. There are a lot of good ideas here that have been executed well. The PvP is blast. I have experienced no server issues, no bugs nothing.
    I will be playing this game for years to come because there is so much here. This game is highly recommended.
  51. Aug 28, 2012
    I've been playing MMOs since the text-based MUD days, and this is the most immersive and amazing world that I've come across in all of that time. If you are a MMO player who loves to explore, then it is a must buy. There is simply no other game out there which comes close to the level of detail and fun built into the world. That said, it is not an easy mmo -- the combat once you hitI've been playing MMOs since the text-based MUD days, and this is the most immersive and amazing world that I've come across in all of that time. If you are a MMO player who loves to explore, then it is a must buy. There is simply no other game out there which comes close to the level of detail and fun built into the world. That said, it is not an easy mmo -- the combat once you hit about level 20 is very challenging and you must learn your class mechanics well. Even that is a refreshing thing though, as it makes me realize how dumbed down every other MMO has become lately. Expand
  52. Aug 28, 2012
    It's an absolutely incredible mmorpg. Not only is it very fun and addicting, it also has a huge explorable world, amazing world verse world pvp, and a unique, hand painted look... almost oil painting style. The ui is clean and blends perfectly into the world while maintaining a very minimalistic style.

The attention to detail is amazing. The little details are all over the place, and really add to the world to make this a special game.
  53. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is exactly what the MMO world needed. It is a breath of fresh air into a genre that has recently become very stale. This is a great MMO for anyone that has a life as you can very seemlessly hop in and out of the action. It's not about chasing a carrot on a stick it's about having fun and I really appreciate all the hard work that has gone into developing it.
  54. Aug 31, 2012
    Awesome game, no subscriptions. This game is perfect for what you want in an mmo. Arena net set a standard here folks. Don't be shy come join in on the fun and no more subscription based games!
  55. Aug 28, 2012
    WOW... and not world of warcraft, this game is amazing. i cant belive this game is so good the way it is. i also have come to the conclusion that why the **** did i have to pay for wow when this game is better than it??? in a nutshell this game is GREAT dont think about it, just buy it. im happy that i actualy bought a game that is actualy fun.

diablo 3 sucks so bad, im very thankful

diablo 3 sucks so bad, im very thankful for this game to come as i felt we were doomed!!
  56. Aug 29, 2012
    BEST GAME EVER! Definately a great sequel to the legendary Guild Wars. I am very excited to max to max out all of my characters. They mastered every aspect of MMO's
  57. Aug 28, 2012
    The game is amazing. Beatufil, skill based mechanics, best PvP ever!

The game is amazing. Beatufil, skill based mechanics, best PvP ever!

The endgame of WoW is amazing.. but the problem is that in some way you feel that if you doesn't rush your leveling you are.. wasting time. Here i found that everything you do, you will be rewarded(exploring, crafting, farming, doing old Events, etc).. so, there is no rush. Besides, you have a lot of new player going around with you... is priceless...
  58. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is amazing, you will see reviews giving this game extremely low scores for petty reasons mostly server overloads and issues with certain features that when fixed will make this game what it should be. I will not reduce my rating due to issues that always plague the first few weeks of launch of any large MMO, they are expected and not a representation of the full game. The gameThis game is amazing, you will see reviews giving this game extremely low scores for petty reasons mostly server overloads and issues with certain features that when fixed will make this game what it should be. I will not reduce my rating due to issues that always plague the first few weeks of launch of any large MMO, they are expected and not a representation of the full game. The game itself is fantastic; large, well-designed and interesting areas that always give a sense of accomplishment, well balanced interesting PvP and contrary to most peoples opinions a huge variety of build options. People claiming the game to have little in the way of build options are completely missing how it works or perhaps have not spent long enough at it. Traits, weapon swapping, combos and gear set up all radically change how you play in PvP and it is NOT just generic skills shoved together in your bar. I can't stand people who will base this game on opening day problems when they are not going to be present in very long but they do inhibit this game achieving a 10. If you have any doubts about buying this game due to the very low ratings from some people; ignore them, and buy it! Expand
  59. Aug 28, 2012
    This is a really fun game. I'm not a stickler for graphics and I usually love games for gameplay, but this game really looks good. The main storyline is surprisingly good, and the quests flow smooth like butter. I've chalked up about twenty hours in three days (give or take a few hours) and I am a level 49 thief. I can tell that every single event has been meticulously polished toThis is a really fun game. I'm not a stickler for graphics and I usually love games for gameplay, but this game really looks good. The main storyline is surprisingly good, and the quests flow smooth like butter. I've chalked up about twenty hours in three days (give or take a few hours) and I am a level 49 thief. I can tell that every single event has been meticulously polished to perfection. Only encountered one bugged quest and it was no big deal. Combat is good too, its fast paced and sometimes can get very difficult. Every single class is fun to play, loving the thief. Expand
  60. Aug 28, 2012
    Just a heads up to those of you who are seriously considering not purchasing this game based on early negative reviews, I feel that I need to point out that those reviewers were likely banned for using hate speech in a chat channel or in their name, an offence that is made very clear to users in the rules. I'd also like to make it clear that using profanity like the F-word is absolutelyJust a heads up to those of you who are seriously considering not purchasing this game based on early negative reviews, I feel that I need to point out that those reviewers were likely banned for using hate speech in a chat channel or in their name, an offence that is made very clear to users in the rules. I'd also like to make it clear that using profanity like the F-word is absolutely acceptable and not a banable offence.
    I've played this game from beta weekend 1 and I can honestly say, Guild Wars 2 is a nearly flawless MMO. Stunning visuals, personal story lines and, most importantly, incredible game play. Areanet has accomplished what was once though to be almost impossible: they have eliminated the "grindy" feeling that you might experience in the traditional MMO. I have personally found that I'm not leveling in an effort to make it to level cap and endgame content, I'm legitimately enjoying the scenery, the lore, and exploration objectives on the map. I often find myself looking down at the corner of the screen to realize that I've gained a few levels, this coming from a 4 year veteran of WoW, I never thought I wouldn't be paying much attention to a character level, but it's really happening here and it's awesome! I could go into extensive detail as to how detailed and amazing this game is, but I don't believe I can convey that experience in a text review, look up one of thousands of YouTube videos on the game, you won't be disappointed.
    However, I, and many others, have found the elimination of trade between two people to be... inconvenient. Arenanet has come out to say that this was a decision made by devs to cut down chat spam and reduce instances of scamming. But I'm not buying it. The least they could do is implement a cash on delivery system through mail, which I do believe will come quickly, likely within the next month or so. I simply cannot fathom why such a simple feature would be eliminated. I could mention overflow issues that other reviewers have based their reviews on, but it has already been announced by the Arenanet staff that the issues with the party system are being worked on and that those issues are a top priority (Honestly guys, the games only been public for a few days now, give the devs a break), I simply don't feel that I can criticize a game that has only been available to the public for a little over 10 days for minor bugs. I do however still believe trade is an issue, though one that will likely be resolved in time. I don't believe it is a big enough issue to knock a point off of an otherwise brilliant game. This game is a true deviation from what we accept as the MMO standard that definitely deserves your consideration.
  61. Aug 28, 2012
    It's a fantastic game with tons of areas to explore each with interesting quests, collectibles, and puzzles to explore. Adventuring through Tyria is a truly memorable endeavor. It is not a revolutionary mmo as people were hyping, but it is the next step in MMOs and is easily the best one on the market. Exciting pvp, enormous pve and without a sub fee to boot. Highly Recommended!
  62. Aug 28, 2012
    Seriously the best game I have ever played in every way. The art direction is truly astounding and is the best. I love running around killing and looting and winning. If you are wondering about all those people saying its too ban happy, they are just trolls and jerks who got banned.
  63. Aug 28, 2012
    Addictively and impressing. The best MMO yet, for me personally! It's a great adventure and is haveing a pretty good release, you should try it! No monthly fees ;)!
  64. Aug 28, 2012
    If you like mmos , this is one of the best. Really great world design, lots of things to do, high skill cap for dungeons, good crafting, a lot of optional fun things to do, puzzles, mini games etc.
  65. Aug 28, 2012
    Great game! awesome PvP, intense PvE, personal story is intriguing... The few bugs you can enconter I'm sure will be fixed with patch! No need to give a bad score just for this.. the overall game is a-m-a-z-i-n-g!
  66. Aug 28, 2012
    Really superb game. Don't let the few negative reviews sway you as they are all based on minor teething issues that are tiny compared to any other MMO I have played.

EG trading post not working for 4 days? - Not really a game breaker :P The game is beautiful, engaging, the PVP element is great fun and there is endless room for future add ins. I for one want can't wait to see what the

EG trading post not working for 4 days? - Not really a game breaker :P

The game is beautiful, engaging, the PVP element is great fun and there is endless room for future add ins. I for one want can't wait to see what the next few years holds for this game.
  67. Aug 28, 2012
    Imagine the best looking and playing single player RPG... Now add true cooperative play with DAoC PVP and a huge world. Also add a responsive developer staff and you have an awesome game for years to come!
  68. Aug 28, 2012
    this game is everything Arenanet promised and even more, I have to say I was one of the skeptics but 2 days into the headstart I had really to change my "tune", the artistic direction is astonishing, I knew it was good but still it surprised me very much offering a powerful gameplay and a deep immersive scenery. the dynamic events are perfect for one like me that needs to do somethingthis game is everything Arenanet promised and even more, I have to say I was one of the skeptics but 2 days into the headstart I had really to change my "tune", the artistic direction is astonishing, I knew it was good but still it surprised me very much offering a powerful gameplay and a deep immersive scenery. the dynamic events are perfect for one like me that needs to do something meaningful and fun even in the days when I can log for 40 minutes or less. GW2 is definitely a keeper and i consider it worth every penny. Expand
  69. Aug 28, 2012
    Best MMORPG since WoW,don't let a few negative reviews change your mind,those are mostly people who can't stand a bad launch,the game itself is awesome.
  70. Aug 28, 2012
    The best thing about the Game:
    Non-linear progression
    The best thing about the Game:
    Non-linear progression

Overview: Excellent game focused on exploration and promoting a do what you like attitude towards progression. Throw in two PVP settings that do not impact on one another, (WvW and SPvP) and you get a game with enough variety to keep me gaming for a long time. Additional pluses, no sub. Classes that feel different. Active engaging combat with hidden depth. Excellent Environments. Graphics: Excellent artwork that makes the game and its NPC's/PC's all feel part of the same world. The Norn suffer somewhat in the animation department but this is made up for in the excellent Asura who are amazing to behold in their weird whacky excentric movements. The locales are breath taking and the depth of view is good. The animation holds up in WvW. The biggest criticism would be the "AOE Soup" created when their are a mass of people attacking one enemy.

Gameplay:
    The non linear progression is what trumps the gameplay category. Want to craft great get some exp. how about doing some dynamic events sure that works too. Whatever you do you get experience (with the exception of SPvP. I have mostly played with an exploration focus so far and even doing jumping puzzles nets some good xp so you are always having fun, being varied and progressing. Add into this the nature of SPvP giving an esports dynamic to the game and you have no reason on to purchase it.

Content:
    For the price this game costs there is no title to date that offers more re playability for the amount of money (NO SUB). The world is filled with rich dynamic events that are exceptionally fun and scale well. The de-leveling system allows exploration into zones you may have missed. The ongoing WvW fights will suck up any serious PvP players. You could even play this as sole pvp arena style game and still get your money's worth.

10, 10 10!! Closing Comment:
    It has some flaws but these are outweighed by the sheer volume of content for the box price. a must buy!
  71. Aug 28, 2012
    Welcome to Metacritic....if you scan all the negative reviews above this one, you'll notice that better than 75% are giving the game a 0-2 rating based on GW2 being over-hyped, issues with the overflow queue, or issues with lag/login. And this is within hours of the official launch. Judging the game strictly on what t brings to the table, I do find that this game is much more entertainingWelcome to Metacritic....if you scan all the negative reviews above this one, you'll notice that better than 75% are giving the game a 0-2 rating based on GW2 being over-hyped, issues with the overflow queue, or issues with lag/login. And this is within hours of the official launch. Judging the game strictly on what t brings to the table, I do find that this game is much more entertaining than WoW, Tera, Secret World, and Star Wars... and yes, I've played them all extensively and am still subscribed to 2 of the 4. If Diablo 3 with its DRM and other issues is an 8.8, this easily qualifies as a 10. Expand
  72. Aug 28, 2012
    Definitely one of the least generic and most satisfying MMOs out there. For the first time in a MMO I couldn't care less about the XP bar filling up, was just so busy doing other stuff and exploring! Dynamic events and the beautiful world add even more to the experience....everything is so so polished, a must have if you are even slightly interested in MMOs. Not to mention that GW2 willDefinitely one of the least generic and most satisfying MMOs out there. For the first time in a MMO I couldn't care less about the XP bar filling up, was just so busy doing other stuff and exploring! Dynamic events and the beautiful world add even more to the experience....everything is so so polished, a must have if you are even slightly interested in MMOs. Not to mention that GW2 will get even better with updates and further expansions! Expand
  73. Aug 28, 2012
    I don't have mmo experience, so this goes from a newcomer. GW2 gives you some very nice possibilities to play with your friends, while making possible to play with other unknown fellas, since there is a really coop scenario around. PVE is great, the maps are big enough and have a lot of actions. There are quests, but in a new fashion, much more interesting since in many ways they are freeI don't have mmo experience, so this goes from a newcomer. GW2 gives you some very nice possibilities to play with your friends, while making possible to play with other unknown fellas, since there is a really coop scenario around. PVE is great, the maps are big enough and have a lot of actions. There are quests, but in a new fashion, much more interesting since in many ways they are free to go around, not having to grab up 80 items and run back to the city. Crafting is awesome, really challenges you to go forward in those maps that you already know.

The WvW is awesome too, since PvE is connected to it, so there is a huge sense of progress. And even my friend who was a PvP-only guys is already hooked in blasting our way through those pesky invaders!!!

PvP is very very good, those tournaments are asking to be e-sport. But laggy servers can be sensed in this beginning (to be fair, these complaints are being filed in the launch day). All in all, the game shines while having some minor bugs or uncomfortable traits (like joining friends in overflow areas are still catchy).
  74. Aug 28, 2012
    This is really quite an unbelievable game. There is just so much to do that you will find yourself occupied not for hours or days, but for months at a time.

The planet of Tyria feels so alive with its large bustling cities, dynamic events, and interesting NPC's. It simply oozes charm and detail. Anyone waffling on this purchase should not hesitate. If you find yourself a fan of the MMORPG genre or have in the past, GW2 is a fresh new take on the scene. Great value, and and exceptional game overall. 10/10.
  75. Aug 28, 2012
    Although Guild wars 2 is not perfect, it is the closest an MMO has been able to get so far. The graphics are absolutely incredible and make the world a joy to explore, though occasional texture bug do occur. The combat is movement based, and heavily reliant on quick reactions and timing. Players will often be able to kill enemies several levels above them through the use of careful dodgingAlthough Guild wars 2 is not perfect, it is the closest an MMO has been able to get so far. The graphics are absolutely incredible and make the world a joy to explore, though occasional texture bug do occur. The combat is movement based, and heavily reliant on quick reactions and timing. Players will often be able to kill enemies several levels above them through the use of careful dodging and skill use. The skill system is more simplistic than Guild wars 1, that is most certainly true. For me, this is a good thing; the complex builds and amount of skills in guild wars 1 were often overwhelming. The Guild wars 2 system trades amount of builds for skilled usage of said builds. However, there are still a surprising amount of builds when you factor in traits and gear. The dynamic event system is truly one of the best things about this game. Events take the place of quests and work to assure that there is always something new and interesting happening in old areas. As for pvp: World vs World is one of the most fun you can have in a game even when you're losing. In the past few days I've seen flanking maneuvers, ambushes, baiting, distraction, and day long sieges. The most disappointing thing about WvW is that it is almost always full on high population servers. The only real negatives of GW2 at the moment is that joining in with friends is sometimes difficult due to the intense server stress over launch. I have no doubt that this will be fixed in the coming days. So, why do I give it a ten? Three reasons: 1. Its the funnest game I have played to date. I have never played a game for more than six hours straight before, but this one had more going on twelve. 2. Because I believe that the small issues that it currently has will be taken care of as the game becomes stable. Arenanet is an awesome company that sincerely listens to its feedback. Expand
  76. Aug 28, 2012
    Beautiful game, a welcomed change for people who are sick of collecting 10 wolves noses. The game hasn't been out long enough to pass TRUE judgement on it, but I believe every MMO player should give it a shot and come to their own conclusion.
  77. Aug 28, 2012
    Best MMORPG I have ever played.Great PVP system,the background story and the unique races are fantastic ,good diversity and great graphics,crazy soundtrack.The exploration is just addictive
    Better than GW1.Just beautiful!
  78. Aug 28, 2012
    While I could rant on and on about why I think this game is amazing, I will say that unlike other recent MMORPGs (that feel like single player), Guild Wars 2 brings back the Massive Multiplayer Online in MMORPGs. And I wouln't want it any other ways in the MMORPGs I play.
  79. Aug 28, 2012
    This isn't the best game on the market, but it is far and away the best MMO on the market. And unlike GW1, it's a true MMO. It was worth the wait. If sculpture is cutting out things that shouldn't be there, GW2 is a work of art.
  80. Aug 28, 2012
    I personally find the graphics to be quite beautiful without killing your card. The questing itself is extremely fun as long as you don't try to play it like a grind, although there is plenty to grind if you so desire. Dynamic missions change things up and crafting is interesting but takes time. I prefer this skill system to Guild Wars 1 because it provides the player with more freedom inI personally find the graphics to be quite beautiful without killing your card. The questing itself is extremely fun as long as you don't try to play it like a grind, although there is plenty to grind if you so desire. Dynamic missions change things up and crafting is interesting but takes time. I prefer this skill system to Guild Wars 1 because it provides the player with more freedom in building a character, not so much a flavor of the month build anymore. Also cool that weapons effect your skills. Over a very fun game with interesting pvp that can be extremely strategic if you try to do more than just zerg the other team. In my opinion it is much more varied than WoW pvp. Expand
  81. Aug 28, 2012
    The game is a near perfect mmo. There is no subscription fee to make you feel that any time spent not playing is money wasted. The right combination of instanced loot and shared experience make this the most socially appealing game in a long time. The World vs World PVP gives casual PVPer's somewhere to blow off a little steam, meanwhile the Structured PvP matches and tournaments giveThe game is a near perfect mmo. There is no subscription fee to make you feel that any time spent not playing is money wasted. The right combination of instanced loot and shared experience make this the most socially appealing game in a long time. The World vs World PVP gives casual PVPer's somewhere to blow off a little steam, meanwhile the Structured PvP matches and tournaments give hardcore and professional gamers a place to play. Overall I would say that this is honestly a game that has appealing factors for every type of gamer. I thoroughly enjoy this game. Expand
  82. Aug 28, 2012
    In most aspects, it's revolutionary, not evolutionary. The graphics are beautiful; the combat is action-oriented and not a targeted button-mashing fest like WOW; the questing and discovery aspects of the game are NOT grindy (despite one review). When I describe this game to my friends, I say "you can literally do whatever you want and progress through the game." Also, FYI, theIn most aspects, it's revolutionary, not evolutionary. The graphics are beautiful; the combat is action-oriented and not a targeted button-mashing fest like WOW; the questing and discovery aspects of the game are NOT grindy (despite one review). When I describe this game to my friends, I say "you can literally do whatever you want and progress through the game." Also, FYI, the micro-transactions are not "pay-2-win." Yes, you can buy gems and trade them for gold, but PvP and WvW are normalized by the game and you will NOT have any huge advantage from buying tons of gear, especially the 5v5 PVP. Most of the micro-transactions are vanity items, karma boosters, xp boosters, etc. They have no real impact on the game. Expand
  83. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is an evolutionary milestone for the MMO genre. At times it feels more like a single player RPG like Skyrim or The Witcher, than your usual MMORPG. You can play the way you want. Between personal Stories, World v. World, and structured PvP (which puts everyone on an equal playing field) there is a lot of variety. Crafting gives XP, World vs. World gives XP, Harvesting givesGuild Wars 2 is an evolutionary milestone for the MMO genre. At times it feels more like a single player RPG like Skyrim or The Witcher, than your usual MMORPG. You can play the way you want. Between personal Stories, World v. World, and structured PvP (which puts everyone on an equal playing field) there is a lot of variety. Crafting gives XP, World vs. World gives XP, Harvesting gives XP, Exploring gives XP, even rezzing players (which everyone can do in this game) gives XP. Long gone are the annoyances of most MMOs. Every player in the game is working together. So no stealing mobs, loot, or resource nodes. You access the bank from crafting stations. No trinity of tank, dps, and healer. Any combination of classes can complete any content if they bring the right skills. No more waiting around for a certain class, or forcing one of your friends to play a class they don't want to.

Combat is dynamic and intricate in both PvE and PvP. While it does lose some of its intricacies when more than ~20-30 players are involved, it is still insanely fun. If this game fails, it will be because people don't want something new. At the end of the day, it's worth a shot. For $60 you have lifetime access to the game. No subscription fees. Easy choice. Try it for yourself.
  84. Aug 28, 2012
    When video games first came out, they were social activities. You went to the arcade and laughed with your friends. Once we started playing at home, it began to lose the social aspect. MMORPG's were invented to re-capture social gaming. Too many aspects of them actually became anti-social: obscene hours required to succeed, outdoor missions that penalized groups, kill stealing, ninjaWhen video games first came out, they were social activities. You went to the arcade and laughed with your friends. Once we started playing at home, it began to lose the social aspect. MMORPG's were invented to re-capture social gaming. Too many aspects of them actually became anti-social: obscene hours required to succeed, outdoor missions that penalized groups, kill stealing, ninja looting, etc. Guild Wars 2 cures these ailments and adds flavors that hearken back to those Pac Man days when you just logged in and had fun playing. This game is built for friends to hang out and play together. But it's also built for strangers to have confidence in meeting new players. You're not going to do anything to hinder another's experience. Help is welcomed in this gorgeous and innovative MMORPG. Regardless of past MMO experience, this game is worth the buy! Expand
  85. Aug 28, 2012
    It's pretty damn awesome. With the personal quests, dynamic events, spvp, WvWvW and rewarding exploration, you are up for the best mmorpg you have tried in a long time. Leave the mindset of all the other mmorpgs and embrace this as what it truly is: something unique and amazing.
  86. Aug 28, 2012
    I don't understand the people who give the game a 0 just because it has some bugs and stuff. I think that the bugs should be expected from any MMORPG of this size. Overall i think that the game is excellent and very fun to play and the graphics are great as well.
  87. Aug 28, 2012
    Amazing! More content that you will know what to do with, all in a gorgeous environment with active, FUN combat. Much love to Arenanet for releasing such an awesome game. Granted it's not perfect, but for every one scuff mark, there are 10 things that will blow your mind.
  88. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is the long awaited sequel and it's been worth every day of the wait. Fun dynamic events that chain together, In-depth personal story, engaging combat. Guild Wars 2 is a well polished MMO. Worth every penny.
  89. Aug 28, 2012
    Guild Wars 2 is a fun time. There is obviously room for improvement and they are patching it constantly. This headstart weekend there were 3? patches that improved stability and fixed some issues. I have not dabbled in the PvP because between the PvE and WvW I have my hands full. To address some of the lower reviews. If you hit a wall where you have run out of quests to do in your area youGuild Wars 2 is a fun time. There is obviously room for improvement and they are patching it constantly. This headstart weekend there were 3? patches that improved stability and fixed some issues. I have not dabbled in the PvP because between the PvE and WvW I have my hands full. To address some of the lower reviews. If you hit a wall where you have run out of quests to do in your area you can simply go to any other area in the game and GW2 will "equalize" you to that areas level. If you get banned from the game for 3 days it is in the TOS - that is your warning. Again the game is missing some things - like a functioning Trading Post, along with some other things from your typical MMO that are missed - such as an inspect function and a trade function; everything is via mail. On a completely unrelated note - the dyes are awesome. Expand
  90. Aug 28, 2012
    The game is absolutely stunning. Although it is lacking some dx11 features, the graphic artists created a beautiful world, the presentation and the art direction as simply spectacular. The old boring quest system has been replaced with an intuitive and unique mechanic called Dynamic Events. These change the landscape considerably and offer a variety of ways to progress them, there areThe game is absolutely stunning. Although it is lacking some dx11 features, the graphic artists created a beautiful world, the presentation and the art direction as simply spectacular. The old boring quest system has been replaced with an intuitive and unique mechanic called Dynamic Events. These change the landscape considerably and offer a variety of ways to progress them, there are events that spawn after a failure. NPCs don't just stand still waiting to give quests to players, they interract with each other and then environment. The NPCs tell a story, and it is a mistake not to stay awhile and listen and to that story unfold in front of your eyes (and ears) and instead run for the exp. This creates a living breathing world that responds to player action, the game feels alive like no other and your actions actually have a meaning, they change the surroundings and offer new posibilities.
    Exploring is key in the game, there is just so much to be found in the world of Tyria, coupled with the amazing scenery and art direction, you are never bored of looking to the vast landscape and exploring to your heart's content. There are well hidden places to be found, jumping puzzles and hidden treasures that are there to be found by expert explorers.
    Combat is very well done, active and up-close and personal. There is no aggro mechanic or any kind of passive block and to-hit mechanisms, it's all up to the player to either hit or be hit by enemies. The game has distinct professions that offer variable abilities for every situation. Each one can perform control damage and support tasks, to a certain extend, marking the end of the holy trinity that plagued RPGs for so long.
  91. Aug 28, 2012
    I think lots of the 0-3 reviews here are extremely biased. Problems on launch day, really? Doesn't play like WoW or whereever you come from? go figure. I love the game so far, it's better than every other MMORPG I played so far in almost every aspect.
  92. Aug 28, 2012
    What is there not to like? The amount of depth in ArenaNet's new MMO Guild Wars 2 is simply astounding. While the graphics are relatively average the attention detail makes up for it. Everything from players leaving footprint trails and idly toying with their weapons while out of combat to the sheer volume and depth of the dynamic event system is mind blowing. The action based combatWhat is there not to like? The amount of depth in ArenaNet's new MMO Guild Wars 2 is simply astounding. While the graphics are relatively average the attention detail makes up for it. Everything from players leaving footprint trails and idly toying with their weapons while out of combat to the sheer volume and depth of the dynamic event system is mind blowing. The action based combat brings a whole new level to the MMO experience and the dodge mechanic feels natural and responsive. Emphasis is placed on well timed dodges and skill usage instead of mindlessly spamming ability rotations.

The map completion mechanic combined with gathering nodes being individual player based along with the dynamic events really makes the leveling fun and rewards exploration. While no single mechanic is revolutionary the combination of many great ideas and how well they all flow together really just makes this game work.

P.S. I have been dropping the F bomb in general chat all day for 3 days and not been banned. Those others must have been really abusive. There is a profanity filter for a reason.
  93. Aug 28, 2012
    One of the best mmorpgs of this generation.Well let me say that apart from being innovative,it is fun to progress in the game.The game itself is different from other mmos as it takes a different approach to the mmorpg genre.There is no trinity,no grind for gear,no trinity and last but not least smooth leveling.These elements are implemented excellently to make the game more fun than otherOne of the best mmorpgs of this generation.Well let me say that apart from being innovative,it is fun to progress in the game.The game itself is different from other mmos as it takes a different approach to the mmorpg genre.There is no trinity,no grind for gear,no trinity and last but not least smooth leveling.These elements are implemented excellently to make the game more fun than other mmorpgs.It is buy to play so you need to pay a one time fee to access the full game with an optional cash shop containing no pay to win items.The most important part is the fun of the game.No mmorpg has been this fun to level all the way to max level.Quests are not a chore but an exciting experience that are easy to complete.Apart from quests there are Dynamic events which pits you in an event to make a certain objective with other players,these involve centaurs attacking a village,aiding npc to cross a certain ground,defending a fort,killing an epic boss and much more.Thats not only that make Guild Wras 2 excellent but the World vs World is a nice addition to the game.You can at anyime hop into this mode where you are against 2 other servers(worlds) to take territory.You will siege castles,towers,camps,raid supplys and even take a single road.Keep in mind doing this solo is not going to work,teaming up with 60+ players is required to siege a tower and maybe 6 for a supply camp but it is very easy to find a group so you can venture with.You can also upgrade your buildings to make them more defensive,buy siege equipment and make guild claiming.You can also level up by killing players and npcs that defend the territory.Apart from WvW, there is also structured pvp where matches will be held for competitive play.In pvp you are geared in endgame gear and maxed to level 80.This method is so efficient because some mmorpgs are usually gear requiring making the pvp less skillful.Others are pay to win where you pay to increase your stats and armor to own players.In both WvW and PvP you are maxed to level 80 but in WvW you remain in your pve gear.This does not affect you in any other way because as I said before gear isn't the main thing.All in all Guild Wars 2 is an excellent game that any mmorpg lover should play.Even singleplayer rpg gamers should play this because it caters an overall experience that appeals to a large audience. Expand
  94. Aug 28, 2012
    Game is superb. I've been playing MMO's since they first started appearing. This one is highly polished, the dev team is highly responsive in community forums. Music is excellent, visuals are excellent, story is excellent. 10/10 for me!
  95. Aug 28, 2012
    If you like themepark based MMOs, there really is no better game out right now than GW2. The level of detail and polish just in the NPC chatter alone really helps shape the lore and world. Combat is extremely fluid with weapon swapping, dodging and combo fields this game is one of the more visceral MMOs out there. If you like to explore, this is the game for you, if you like to only Raid,If you like themepark based MMOs, there really is no better game out right now than GW2. The level of detail and polish just in the NPC chatter alone really helps shape the lore and world. Combat is extremely fluid with weapon swapping, dodging and combo fields this game is one of the more visceral MMOs out there. If you like to explore, this is the game for you, if you like to only Raid, you may find it lacking. Expand
  96. Aug 28, 2012
    Game is amazing. Sad to see people giving it negative reviews due to bugs and errors in a pre launch head start that can easily be fixed by a simple patch....
  97. Aug 28, 2012
    The game has stepped one hundred feet in the right direction for the genre and this is something that the genre has been awaiting for a long time.

The inclusion of actual, dynamic dodging and attacking. The combo system that allows you to combo with your friends... its all amazing. People who are claiming no end game need to realize that this is and always has been a pvp driven

People who are claiming no end game need to realize that this is and always has been a pvp driven universe. The fact that you can jump in at max level and pvp with your friends is amazing as is the WvW system where you fight other servers.

The combo system and dynamic ability to switch weapon sets during combat, along with the co-op style combo system makes PVP VERY skill based, rather than other MMO's face-smash style of fighting.

If you are a fan of PVP, get the game. NOW.

The story still has flare and is fun to go through when learning how to play your class and the mechanics of the game.
  98. Aug 28, 2012
    I gave this game a ten because I feel that it was money well spent. 60 dollars for the cleanest RPG experience in an MMO. If you hate the Xobx live kids, or the trash talking low lives from various MOBA, FPS, and other competitive MMO, you know that GW2 staff is ready to squash these babies.

The company has character and integrity. They believes strongly in their product and policies and has thus far stuck to their message. There's communication between Arena net's staff and the GW2 community, and the communications have been civil and constructive.
  99. Aug 28, 2012
    Is this game a 10 right now? No. Does it have the potential to be a 10 once all the bugs are worked out and a few needed features are added. Yes? Do any other MMOs have the potential to be 10s. In my opinion, no. Not after GW2. All other MMOs are built on antiquated systems that can no longer rate 10 in my book. At one point I would have rated WOW a 10, but there is no way I could anymore.Is this game a 10 right now? No. Does it have the potential to be a 10 once all the bugs are worked out and a few needed features are added. Yes? Do any other MMOs have the potential to be 10s. In my opinion, no. Not after GW2. All other MMOs are built on antiquated systems that can no longer rate 10 in my book. At one point I would have rated WOW a 10, but there is no way I could anymore.

So why I am rating it 10? Because, as I said before, it can be a 10. I am willing to give them three months. If after three months it is not a 10, I will revise my review. Also, I feel compelled to combat the unnecessary 0's. Seriously, why zero? It is not that bad, not even close. This game should be a 10 right now, but ArenaNet dropped the ball by not having a open beta. They absolutely should have had two week open beta and then announced a release date.

The only reason I am willing to be lenient is because WOW and others were given time to correct their problems. WOW's release was a atrocious, but people gave it time to work itself out. Why can't we give this game a little bit of time to get things right? The standard MMO's are held to these days is absurd, and makes it insanely difficult for any company to compete with Blizzard. Now Blizzard with their 5000+ employees can put out an unfinished game and set sales records. ArenaNet with their 300+ employees should be given some time to iron things out.
  100. Aug 28, 2012
    I've played MMORPGs since their earliest days with MUDs, Everquest etc. and seen the evolution of the genre, and also it's stagnation for the past decade.

Guild Wars 2 hearkens back to the true potential of MMOGs to be *fun games* taken massively multiplayer. While most MMORPGs of the past decade have seen fit to lazily copy off of the major contenders of the genre, ArenaNet had the courage and foresight to do something radically different.

The game boasts extremely fun combat (unlike most MMOs), a dynamic, living world to adventure in, and some of the most competitive PvP gameplay ever to come to the MMO space.

Guild Wars 2 isn't just a good MMO, and it's actually held back by the baggage that genre carries. Instead, it plays as a *great* RPG first and foremost, and just happens to be a great MMO as a bonus.
  101. Aug 29, 2012