• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Apr 26, 2005
8.3

1. Dec 22, 2011
    One of the best games I have ever played in my life. The company (ArenaNet) took some chances with this game. They went for a bit of a different skill/attribute set and a lot of other things. They really stepped out of the comfort zone and threw away the traditional MMORPG **** And guess what, it worked well. There were a few dull areas but those were overthrown by the glorious rest of the game. The missions were fun and enticing, the gear was visually appealing and could parts mixed and matched. The graphics were very good for a companies very first game. At release this game was magnificent, the cities were overflowing with people and the PvP arenas was a place to be. Now, not so much. The game has aged and the majority of players can be seen on the later expansion packs or winds of change one of the newer updates. So in all honesty, I wouldn't purchase the game based on those facts. Wait for Guild Wars 2, which still has no monthly fee. That game will be well worth the wait. Expand
  2. Jul 1, 2011
    I've played this game since release and it has since become my favorite game of all time. The world is beautiful and inspired, and the animations are smooth and very high quality. I actually quite like the instancing as it prevents **** from messing with you, and I am generally quite a solitary person. The story in PvE is top notch and imaginative, and PvP itself is the best of an MMO on the market. Expand
  3. Aug 23, 2010
    Good game with its pros and cons. Pros, The game looks great and plays well. The storyline is interesting and the quest are standard MMO type quest so you won't get lost. Only having 8 skills might turn some people away but with all the skills you get over the game you can make different and unique builds to match your style of play. You also can't forget you don't have to pay monthly for this game so if you stop playing and want to come back you can at anytime. Cons. The instanced world can be very dull if you don't find other people to play with and the PVP can get annoying at times. Expand
  4. Jan 27, 2012
    Many of the reviews here are either badly composed or off the topic based on personal experiences or just dumb choices. This game is the cure for your wallet, it's an engaging experience that won't burn your money. The PvP is one of this game's most stable and well-designed features, make no mistake this game does have PvE as any MMO game should. Also keep in mind this game is pure perfection if you do not mind instances when out questing. If you don't know what that means is, whoever you take with you whilst leaving the city/outpost, is all you're going to have with you. No random people coming in to yoink your xp gain or kill the mobs you set out to kill. They're all there, at every load. 1. Updates> This game since release has had a variety of changes from classes to balancing.
    2.The World> The expansions add rewarding content is persistent for each of your characters, you can visit any continent as long as you've reached the area to travel to it, the visuals are different everywhere you go, its always nice to have some new colors.
    3.Since navigation is so simple and streamlined, the minimap also shows where you've walked, making it easy for you not to get lost.
    4. PvE combat> PvE is well done, the mobs are easy to find and a wiki feature in the game makes it easy for you to find what you're looking for.
    5. Questing and Progression>This game is extremely quick to level in, what makes your character stronger is how you build their skills and set their gear. You'll reach max rank in no time, quest, do missions and your time shall not be wasted. Missions progress you through the storyline of each campaign (that is if you have the other expansions) but if you just own Prophecies it's the same deal.
    6.End Game> Since leveling is so quick, the true content of the game is its end game, you'll have a variety of missions and titles to gain and due to Guild Wars 2 on the way if you own Eye of the North, you will get rewards for completing them if you get the next installment. Raids, dungeons, (Speed clears) are all in the game, know your role and get moving.

This game leads you to have a much different experience at each turn, each class feels different, and a second play-through known as hard mode can get you some cash.
  5. Apr 30, 2012
    So addictive it's not even funny. Has gameplay unlike any other MMO, graphics that are a rape to the eyeballs and music that you won't be able to get out of your head any time soon. It is also relatively grindfest-free due to the low level cap, which I find to be a huge plus. While the formula gets a little stale after a while and the plot is nothing to write home about, it is still the best MMO I have ever played. Here's hoping GW2 will become a worthy successor of the original. Expand
  6. Oct 16, 2012
    Last time I typed /age in the chat, I got as response that I had played the game over 3500 hours on this account, this excludes the time I spent on my 2 other accounts. A game that can keep me playing and enjoying it for 5 years and over 3500 hours deserves a 10.
  7. Feb 19, 2012
    Amazing game, very addictive, and even after many years after launch, it still has a reason to be played, which is the Hall of Monuments reward system for GW2
  8. Aug 25, 2011
    Don't have much to say about Guild Wars. I beta tested it long ago and it didn't fail to impress. Most people who say they hate this game are fanboys of other MMOs which I will not mention, and just don't get the whole concept behind the game. It's not supposed to take months to reach a ridiculously high level, then hours of killing monsters to get ridiculously overpowered weapons and armor. It is meant to be heavily based on tactics and skill. The low level cap and the ability to get "maxed" weapons (weapons with maximum stats for that particular category) about midway through the main story forces players to really build their character with different skills that complement each other, then use them right. If you like grinding, raiding, and games that are based much more on having an incredibly high level or incredibly powerful equipment, Guild Wars is NOT for you. It isn't a perfect game, with limited support and a bit lacking in an MMO feel, but it certainly isn't anything close to a bad game. Expand
  9. Jan 3, 2012
    ive played this game for 6 years now and it has is the game i have played the most my overall game-time is about 130 days. there is so much content to do with all the new expansions and dungeon's the game has very nice graphics considering its so old now and yet i can still say its still one of the best mmo-based games out there and i really cannot wait for Guild wars 2, how ever long it takes.
  10. Apr 4, 2012
    Why imo this game is great:
    (1) No monthly fee. If you do the math for other MMO's out there your going to pay a lot more once you start playing for over a year. Which to me, is very short.

(2) No real grind besides what you choose to grind out, and it has insignificant impact on play. You can grind out titles which do nothing besides increase your e-peen or grind out materials for armor
    which have no better stats than armor you can get for cheap - again increasing your e-peen but no real benefit other than that.

(3) No worries about making a mistake with your character - it's very easy to change out what you use. Fitting the no-grind theme of this game.

(4) Perfect way to deal with death imo - you fail the quest but you don't lose anything like experience or items. Plus you only fail the quest after dying multiple times.

(5) It's fun!
  11. May 15, 2012
    Guild Wars was a fantastic game that was well worth it's price. It offers more gameplay and customization than any game of it's peers. It was and forever will be a game that will be notable.
  12. Jul 5, 2012
    I have had hours of fun with this game. It is beautifully atmospheric, has a good story, and a combat system capable of enormous sophistication. The world it creates feels very real and I actually cared about its fate.
  13. May 17, 2012
    I wish Diablo 3 was this good. Massive world, every innovative play. Zero grinding, one of the best mmo ever made. Many many korean mmo copied guild war's style.
  14. May 18, 2012
    This game was my first MMO and level 20 with all the expansions. As the years went on (maybe I put 400 hours into this game, or 500 but no more), the graphics got a little old and the gameplay not as fun; however, the hooks from this game was already in pretty deep. GW2 beta was more fun than GW the first time I played it. I've never played WoW. Learning all the new builds really was enjoyable, esp. all the necro. stuff with your heroes. I didn't play PvP much; I'm sure I was one of the rare people who didn't like it that much. Expand
  15. Jan 23, 2013
    All has been said in varied reviews about GW. All I can tell you is from 2005 up until now I've played for 7600+ hours. That's approximately 320 full days over a 7 year span. The only games that got me engaged in the past are Sword of Fargoal on the CBM64, Dungeon Master (and Chaos Strikes Back) by FTL on the Atari ST. I hope that ArenaNet never pulls the plug on it.
  16. Jun 29, 2013
    This game is an art. In combinations with all the 3 addons it deserves a much better succes and attention: The graphic is written geniously: beautiful and great performance. The gameplay gives you so many possiblities: great. And in the beginning it is easy to understand. So you see, the old easy to learn, hard to master principle. The idea of gathering all the players together to a town and let them group there to go through an instance is simply perfect. The campaing is great, I could stop to play, just to know, what happens next. The music is great too. I dont see any weaknesses in this game (dont forget, the game has 3 addons, that improves the basic game too) Expand
  17. Jul 15, 2013
    I don't regret a minute of time spent in this game. The story is beautiful, the PvE is rich in content, and the community is excellent. The game offers so much versatility as well, with any class being able to take on the role of another with builds. The PvP is by far the best I've ever seen. All in all, it's a masterpiece. The only problem as of now is the community is a little on the dead side due to it's awful sequel. Expand
  18. Sep 10, 2013
    I played this game for years and enjoyed every moment of it. It plays a bit differently than other MMOs, because it is designed to prevent grinding, trolling, imbalance, and various other negative factors that typically plague online games.
  19. Oct 22, 2013
    Whenever I try out a new mmo the first thing I do is compare it to Guild Wars. That is how much of an impact this game left on me. I picked it up within a few months of it having came out and played it for YEARS. I had thousands of hours logged into this game, and STILL can't help but log on every once in a while to take a trip down memory lane. The game is of course very dated and I can't play it with the fervor that I used to, but it is still the mold with which I compare every mmo I come across. Hopefully soon a game will come which will match or surpass my image of it. Expand
  20. Dec 18, 2013
    Without a doubt, the best MMORPG I have played to date (although technically not actually an MMORPG).

The graphics are gorgeous.

There is an endless variety of character skillset possibilities due to the hundreds and hundreds of skills available for each character profession. This means you can never bore of the gameplay, and if you are into PVP it becomes a constantly changing arena
    involving teams changing/trialing new and progressively more creative builds to counter the currently winning team's build. Testing builds yourself to try and beat certain enemies/bosses, or solo certain areas is always a fun and rewarding experience.

The game is complex, but not enough for the learning curve to be huge. The game itself is simple enough to learn to play, the challenge instead comes in learning how to play well.

The map is huge, especially when combined with its expansions, and you will never run out of things to do.

The game is free to play, and does not reward players who play for hours on end over those who are more casual. Everyone has access to gear with the same stats, the hardcore players simply pay extra in order to look better than everyone else. This was one of my favourite features about guild wars, especially over guild wars 2, which instead opts to reward hardcore players with a slight edge in stats over ordinary players due to their extensive playtimes.

I only managed to stop playing this game after my computer crashed, for which I was grateful because this game genuinely ends up taking a large chunk of your life away. These days i play guild wars 2 instead, which is very fun and has stunning graphics, but feels very simple in comparison, especially in PvP due to the very limited skills available and lack of customisation.

1. It’s impossible to describe the joy playing Guild Wars offers. It isn’t particularly deep, but it’s highly rewarding nonetheless. A friendly design and interface, and the simple, elegant combat, are bound to appeal to a wide range of gamers.
  2. It innovatively and successfully combines many of the best, most addictive properties of action RPGs, online RPGs, and competitive multiplayer games in one beautifully produced package, which offers a tremendous lasting value yet none of the monthly fees typically associated with online-only games.
  3. If tedious leveling up, dull combat, or uninspired player vs. player gaming are your quibbles with today's massively multiplayer offerings, Guild Wars is the cure.