8.4

1. Jun 3, 2013
    I am really enjoying this game, alot more so than any other new release in recent memory. Mixing stealth and puzzle together so seamlessly was a brilliant move. The crosslink has to be one of the most amusing game gadgets I've used since the portal gun.
  2. Jun 3, 2013
    This is the kind of game that renews my faith in PC gaming. Innovative gameplay, creative mechanics simple but not cheaply done artstyle, and an overall blast to play.
  3. Jun 6, 2013
    This game is a modern classic and I think one that will be remembered. It goes to show you don't need a AAA budget to make something great.

The only reason I didn't give it top marks is it needs more mod support (i.e. steam workshop)
  4. Jun 9, 2013
    gunpoint it's a well crafted flashgame, so don't expect much more from it.
    it's very engaging until the end, but the problem is that the game last about 40 minutes.
    not worth 9 euros (os steam) in my opinion, but if you find it on sale, grab it.
  5. Jun 4, 2013
    A fun, simple yet engaging indie game that reminds me of why I love video games. To address the only non-glowing review here so far: you can skip all dialogue with the nice little "start mission" button before every mission. So if you just want to get to the gameplay, the game has you covered. Personally I find the little introductions to each mission entertaining, and there's even some dialogue options. The music is really nice, really fitting and just pleasant to listen to, and I love the fact that the instrumentation changes when you move in and out of the "wirejacking" mode, the kind of reactive music not seen in as many games as I'd like. The core gameplay mechanics are solid, controls are intuitive and the puzzles are just challenging enough without having to wrack your brains for hours and look up walkthroughs. There is a potential for emergent stuff happening, and the way you can re-wire levels can, with some careful planning (or luck), produce some pretty silly results like guards locking each other into rooms or electrocuting each other. There's a level editor too, so if you want a tougher challenge or whatever takes your fancy then go ahead and make one. It's only a shame it doesn't have Steam Workshop support. What holds it off from a perfect score is being a little on the short side (users on Steam forums report about 3 hours typically) but it's certainly value for money. Expand
  6. Jun 3, 2013
    Absolute bargin. Everything that is good and pure about PC Gaming is present in this game. Charm, whit, innovation and great writing. Finished hte game in one sitting and loved every second of it. One the veil is lifted and you realise the possibilitys of the mechanics, you can do some genuinley hillarious and balls out things.

More please.
  7. Jun 7, 2013
    The game is great. The music, the theme, the story, the dialog and the gameplay all are satisfying. Unfortunately the game is extremely short and will usually take you 2 hours, 3 hours if you replay some levels to get the best ratings. The editor is nice but misses a lot of features such as missing sound detector, custom connections (currently the game only allows linking to their nearest pair object i.e. camera alarm, panel door) which limits creative freedom by a huge margin. Also there is no inbuild system to rate or download custom maps. This could have been fixed by support steam workshop but as of now it is rather tedious and inconvenient to find user created content to fight off the extremely short gametime. Expand
  8. Jul 8, 2013
    This game....this game lasted me 90 MINUTES *and if you for some reason cant figure that out that is 1 /2 HOURS* the game is good while it lasts but the puzzles are ridiculously easy and once you finish the game there is NO reason to replay, it is not worth your money.
  9. Jun 7, 2013
    This game is a great stealth/puzzle game, and the ability to change the wiring of the world is a fantastic feature and makes this much more interesting then your average stealth game. The game also have comical jokes appearing every now and then. Being able to have multiple choices for the dialogue. The game's level editor also improves the overall game-play and allows more complicated levels created by the consumer.
    The game however, is quite short, and the level editor isn't as powerful as I wish it would be, I finished the game entire game in about two hours. Also, some points of the dialogue are broken, such as in one level, I disable all the cameras and was never seen by them, but the dialogue after that still said that I had walked right in-front of a camera. The level editor is also not linked with Steam Workshop, which makes sharing levels a lot harder and makes finding levels a bit of a pain.

Overall, it's a nice stealth game and it's level editor sorta makes up for having a short story, the game-play is great and it works great.
  10. Jun 16, 2013
    This game just didn’t click for me. Gunpoint has novel gameplay mechanics and adequate story. I only played around 10 missions. It just didn’t keep me interested. 4/10 for novelty.
  11. Jun 24, 2013
    very good game but well be HD and on ps3 or Xbox 360 or wii u or ps vita !!!
    The game needs a strong publisher and the game is developed in the future in order to become one of the best thinking and planning
  12. Jun 14, 2013
    It's tricky, it's challenging but it's fun and entertaining as hell.
    This is the fine example that developers don't need big budget to make outstanding games.
  13. Jun 5, 2013
    It's the simple things that entertain. You can throw all of the fancy graphics, writing, multiplayer, ect... but I've been more entertained by a 3 hour play-through of Gunpoint than most big budget games being rolled out these days.

The premise is simple as a private investigator with some physics altering clothing, you become involved in a murder mystery. Using the tools available
    to you, you complete missions given to you by various sources to solve the murder case.

Controls are simple and effective very little is needed to navigate besides some timing. The ability to manipulate the environment by wirejacking, the rewiring of electrical switches to do various and devious things, allows for a rich and rewarding experience when planning out your missions and achieving your goals.

After each mission, the game rates your skill, which adds to the games charm and humor. This is gaming at the "PC Gaming Master Races" finest.
  14. Jun 21, 2013
    Fun and simple but with some very interesting mechanics. The game doesn't take itself too seriously and the story is more of a parody of noir style movies than anything else. At the same time it does have some witty lines(all dialogue is text). The graphics are reminiscent of 2d side scrollers but are still rather high quality. The game is short though and while you can replay each level there aren't any additional rewards for doing so (you will pretty much get every power up before the game is over). Hopefully there is more to come though since this game rocks! Its at a very reasonable price and it really shows that a huge budget doesn't guarantee a great game. Expand
  15. dak
    Jun 3, 2013
    This game has it's own atmosphere and every part of it fits very well with each other. Here is exactly an example, when developer fully commit himself and without reservations. Result is sweet.
  16. Jun 7, 2013
    This is an absolute gem of a game, well thought out, well executed and wonderfully crisp and clean. The mechanics like the crosslink and super jumpy trousers and are easy to use and bring about all sorts of emergent gameplay. Although short it is defiantly worth the £7 price tag, and I would highly recommend the special edition as the soundtrack is beautiful and the dev commentary gives a wonderful insight into the game. Expand
  17. Jun 12, 2013
    Gunpoint had an unexpected fresh gameplay, it is innovative and offers parts in which you can decide what to do. I liked the humor in most dialogs which also offer the possibility to choose an answer. But on the other hand it is too short for its price and the leveleditor is part of the steam workshop which makes it difficult to share your customized missions. All in all it's a surprisingly good indie game which offers excellent but a bit monotonous gameplay with possibilities for improvements. Expand
  18. Jun 15, 2013
    This game was a standout I think. Basic, clean, and efficient in design. It is clear cut fun mixed with thinking. The different abilities you can purchase are comical and add various ways to beat the different stages. You could make a guard shoot another guard with a pull of a switch three stories away or maybe kick a door into 3 guards, killing them instantly. The graphic choice adds to the great atmosphere and mood of the game itself. The only complaint would be play time, but as I said before, you can easily re-play Gunpoint and have fun doing so. Quite possibly one of my favorite indie games so far, all condensed into a strategic, stealth, puzzle game; fun for everyone. Expand
  19. Jun 5, 2013
    A perfect example of a fun, fast-paced-but-still-very-stealthy game with innovative mechanics at a HUGE bargain. The art is simplistic but beautiful, and the sounds are all really well done. Can't wait to see what the community pumps out with the level editor.
  20. Jun 6, 2013
    Gunpoint is a highly unique combination of stealth platformer and dime store detective novel with some added film noir for good measure! Graphics are suitably retro pixel art'ish and well done. The sound effects and particularly the music are well done and in the case of the music, really adds to that film nor feel. Tremendously fun, well thought out, and frankly unique gameplay mechanics that allow you to rewire light switches, doors, elevator switches, light sockets, cameras, motion detectors, overhead lights, and more in various ways to help you achiever your mission objectives adding a bit of puzzle platformer to the mix! The developers clearly have a very clever sense of humor and the dialog is a real funny treat to read. The story is with it's cast of characters and locations sucks you in and unfolds and evolves based on what you say and do.

It is, perhaps a bit short in terms of gameplay the first time you play it through but it does have replay in that there is an included level editor for constructing your own levels that can be shared as simple text files plus in the game proper, there are many different ways to solve levels so it is rewarding to go back and try again.

This game by any estimation, regardless of how short it is (I'm betting we'll see updates that add additional items, levels, and more to extend it) is fun, clever, funny, addictive, and rewarding to play and is a total bargain at $9.99 from Steam. All of that makes for an A+ easy recommendation for just about anyone! Well done! Easily one of the best indie titles I've seen this year!
  21. Jun 8, 2013
    I have been using Metacritic for years and have never felt I wanted to write a review. But this game deserves it. Gunpoint is the only game in recent years that I've sat and played for hours without wanted to play something else. I don't usually have a great attention span when it comes to games, but this gem of a game has kept me interested.

I highly recommend it, its fun to play and
    challenging at the same time. This game proves that you don't need fancy 3D graphics to enjoy a good game, I love it, simple as that. Expand
  22. Jun 22, 2013
    Gunpoint is an amazing newcomer on the gaming market: - I like the fact that the game is using this special, unique comic/pixelated style. - You really need to use your brain in order to complete the level, so it's not a game for a person who wants to rush through a game. - The controls are nice. - The difficulty and the strength/damage of the enemies is balanced. - The upgradeable abilities are useful!
    - The gameplay in general is wonderful.

I definitely recommend you to buy this game if you're looking for a real challenge!
  23. Aug 21, 2013
    Gunpoint, while brief is a very fun take on a stealth game. It's about one hour long but don't let that turn you off because it's got really fun mechanics, gameplay and an interesting story. And for the creative types there's even a level editor.
  24. Fuz
    Dec 11, 2013
    Keybinds arent' redefinable.
    This is utterly ridiculous in a 2013 game.
    Personally, I can't play with the default ones. I'll change the score when they fix this.
  25. Jul 6, 2013
    A very, very good game. Good atmosphere and good gameplay.
    There are many different ways to solve each level, and most of them are a lot of fun, also thanks to the brilliant rewiring feature. An interesting game as it shows that good atmosphere, art style and general feeling is much more important than polygon count and a huge budget. The dialogues and the story are surprisingly good, and
    I have to say this has much more stealth than most AAA so called "stealth" games.

The only flaw is that the game is very short, but a level editor is included. Should this get on Steam workshop it would be a solid 10/10, worth every dime.
  26. Jan 1, 2014
    Marvellous, marvellous game with a fun story and a great game mechanic. Really interesting use of stealth hacking and puzzles and the level design is superb. Just buy it, you won't regret it.
  27. Jun 15, 2013
    The only bad thing about this game is that it is too short. Unfortunately, that makes if difficult for me to recommend because it doesn't seem worth the price point. It costs about the same as a movie, but the movie will likely last you an hour more. Despite that, I want to see more of this very game. I hope the developers deliver.
  28. Jan 9, 2014
    Gunpoint is a charming, fun, innovative, stealth indie game which proves that you don't need an AAA budget to make a great game which a good engaging noir style story line Gunpoint is only let down by its shortness worth the purchase espeacially on a steam sale.
  29. Jul 4, 2013
    After I started playing this game, I really wanted to give it a ten. It has a great sense of humor, and I loved the gameplay, story, and overall noire style of the game (including a great soundtrack.) But here's the thing, it simply didn't have enough content for me. I bought this game at 9:00 pm one night and had finished literally every mission the game had to offer by midnight. I still think it's brilliant, but I honestly would have liked a bit more for my money. So I guess a positive spin on it is that when all is said and done, you'll want more of this game. Alot more. Other than that, it's pretty great and in the end, still worth your money. Expand
  30. Jul 28, 2013
    Picked this up during the Steam Sale after trying the demo. It's a very interesting premise with great, and humorous, writing. Some of the later maps were somewhat challenging, not because they threw a bunch of enemies at you, but because the puzzles to gain entry to certain areas were well put together. Major complaint is without a doubt, the length. Around 2 hours of campaign at best. However, the Dev is interested in adding Workshop support allowing modders to go nuts. Expand

1. Oct 7, 2013
    Stealth, puzzles and film noir mix beautifully. The only criticism is that it’s over too soon. [Aug 2013]
  2. Aug 8, 2013
    Delightful and clever, but also a bit limited. [Sept 2013, p.74]
  3. Aug 2, 2013
    10 dollars spent on Gunpoint is 10 dollars well spent. [CD-Action 09/2013, p.68]