8.4

1. Jun 3, 2013
    I am really enjoying this game, alot more so than any other new release in recent memory. Mixing stealth and puzzle together so seamlessly was a brilliant move. The crosslink has to be one of the most amusing game gadgets I've used since the portal gun.
  2. Jun 14, 2013
    It's tricky, it's challenging but it's fun and entertaining as hell.
    This is the fine example that developers don't need big budget to make outstanding games.
  3. Jun 21, 2013
    Fun and simple but with some very interesting mechanics. The game doesn't take itself too seriously and the story is more of a parody of noir style movies than anything else. At the same time it does have some witty lines(all dialogue is text). The graphics are reminiscent of 2d side scrollers but are still rather high quality. The game is short though and while you can replay each levelFun and simple but with some very interesting mechanics. The game doesn't take itself too seriously and the story is more of a parody of noir style movies than anything else. At the same time it does have some witty lines(all dialogue is text). The graphics are reminiscent of 2d side scrollers but are still rather high quality. The game is short though and while you can replay each level there aren't any additional rewards for doing so (you will pretty much get every power up before the game is over). Hopefully there is more to come though since this game rocks! Its at a very reasonable price and it really shows that a huge budget doesn't guarantee a great game. Expand
  4. Jun 15, 2013
    This game was a standout I think. Basic, clean, and efficient in design. It is clear cut fun mixed with thinking. The different abilities you can purchase are comical and add various ways to beat the different stages. You could make a guard shoot another guard with a pull of a switch three stories away or maybe kick a door into 3 guards, killing them instantly. The graphic choice addsThis game was a standout I think. Basic, clean, and efficient in design. It is clear cut fun mixed with thinking. The different abilities you can purchase are comical and add various ways to beat the different stages. You could make a guard shoot another guard with a pull of a switch three stories away or maybe kick a door into 3 guards, killing them instantly. The graphic choice adds to the great atmosphere and mood of the game itself. The only complaint would be play time, but as I said before, you can easily re-play Gunpoint and have fun doing so. Quite possibly one of my favorite indie games so far, all condensed into a strategic, stealth, puzzle game; fun for everyone. Expand
  5. Jun 5, 2013
    A perfect example of a fun, fast-paced-but-still-very-stealthy game with innovative mechanics at a HUGE bargain. The art is simplistic but beautiful, and the sounds are all really well done. Can't wait to see what the community pumps out with the level editor.
  6. Aug 21, 2013
    Gunpoint, while brief is a very fun take on a stealth game. It's about one hour long but don't let that turn you off because it's got really fun mechanics, gameplay and an interesting story. And for the creative types there's even a level editor.
  7. Jun 3, 2013
    This is the kind of game that renews my faith in PC gaming. Innovative gameplay, creative mechanics simple but not cheaply done artstyle, and an overall blast to play.
  8. Jun 4, 2013
    A fun, simple yet engaging indie game that reminds me of why I love video games. To address the only non-glowing review here so far: you can skip all dialogue with the nice little "start mission" button before every mission. So if you just want to get to the gameplay, the game has you covered. Personally I find the little introductions to each mission entertaining, and there's even someA fun, simple yet engaging indie game that reminds me of why I love video games. To address the only non-glowing review here so far: you can skip all dialogue with the nice little "start mission" button before every mission. So if you just want to get to the gameplay, the game has you covered. Personally I find the little introductions to each mission entertaining, and there's even some dialogue options. The music is really nice, really fitting and just pleasant to listen to, and I love the fact that the instrumentation changes when you move in and out of the "wirejacking" mode, the kind of reactive music not seen in as many games as I'd like. The core gameplay mechanics are solid, controls are intuitive and the puzzles are just challenging enough without having to wrack your brains for hours and look up walkthroughs. There is a potential for emergent stuff happening, and the way you can re-wire levels can, with some careful planning (or luck), produce some pretty silly results like guards locking each other into rooms or electrocuting each other. There's a level editor too, so if you want a tougher challenge or whatever takes your fancy then go ahead and make one. It's only a shame it doesn't have Steam Workshop support. What holds it off from a perfect score is being a little on the short side (users on Steam forums report about 3 hours typically) but it's certainly value for money. Expand
  9. Jun 3, 2013
    Absolute bargin. Everything that is good and pure about PC Gaming is present in this game. Charm, whit, innovation and great writing. Finished hte game in one sitting and loved every second of it. One the veil is lifted and you realise the possibilitys of the mechanics, you can do some genuinley hillarious and balls out things.

More please.
  10. Jun 5, 2013
    It's the simple things that entertain. You can throw all of the fancy graphics, writing, multiplayer, ect... but I've been more entertained by a 3 hour play-through of Gunpoint than most big budget games being rolled out these days.

The premise is simple as a private investigator with some physics altering clothing, you become involved in a murder mystery. Using the tools available to you, you complete missions given to you by various sources to solve the murder case.

Controls are simple and effective very little is needed to navigate besides some timing. The ability to manipulate the environment by wirejacking, the rewiring of electrical switches to do various and devious things, allows for a rich and rewarding experience when planning out your missions and achieving your goals.

After each mission, the game rates your skill, which adds to the games charm and humor. This is gaming at the "PC Gaming Master Races" finest.
  11. dak
    Jun 3, 2013
    This game has it's own atmosphere and every part of it fits very well with each other. Here is exactly an example, when developer fully commit himself and without reservations. Result is sweet.
  12. Jun 7, 2013
    This is an absolute gem of a game, well thought out, well executed and wonderfully crisp and clean. The mechanics like the crosslink and super jumpy trousers and are easy to use and bring about all sorts of emergent gameplay. Although short it is defiantly worth the £7 price tag, and I would highly recommend the special edition as the soundtrack is beautiful and the dev commentary gives aThis is an absolute gem of a game, well thought out, well executed and wonderfully crisp and clean. The mechanics like the crosslink and super jumpy trousers and are easy to use and bring about all sorts of emergent gameplay. Although short it is defiantly worth the £7 price tag, and I would highly recommend the special edition as the soundtrack is beautiful and the dev commentary gives a wonderful insight into the game. Expand
  13. Jun 8, 2013
    I have been using Metacritic for years and have never felt I wanted to write a review. But this game deserves it. Gunpoint is the only game in recent years that I've sat and played for hours without wanted to play something else. I don't usually have a great attention span when it comes to games, but this gem of a game has kept me interested.

I highly recommend it, its fun to play and

I highly recommend it, its fun to play and challenging at the same time. This game proves that you don't need fancy 3D graphics to enjoy a good game, I love it, simple as that.
  14. Jun 6, 2013
    Gunpoint is a highly unique combination of stealth platformer and dime store detective novel with some added film noir for good measure! Graphics are suitably retro pixel art'ish and well done. The sound effects and particularly the music are well done and in the case of the music, really adds to that film nor feel. Tremendously fun, well thought out, and frankly unique gameplay mechanicsGunpoint is a highly unique combination of stealth platformer and dime store detective novel with some added film noir for good measure! Graphics are suitably retro pixel art'ish and well done. The sound effects and particularly the music are well done and in the case of the music, really adds to that film nor feel. Tremendously fun, well thought out, and frankly unique gameplay mechanics that allow you to rewire light switches, doors, elevator switches, light sockets, cameras, motion detectors, overhead lights, and more in various ways to help you achiever your mission objectives adding a bit of puzzle platformer to the mix! The developers clearly have a very clever sense of humor and the dialog is a real funny treat to read. The story is with it's cast of characters and locations sucks you in and unfolds and evolves based on what you say and do.

It is, perhaps a bit short in terms of gameplay the first time you play it through but it does have replay in that there is an included level editor for constructing your own levels that can be shared as simple text files plus in the game proper, there are many different ways to solve levels so it is rewarding to go back and try again.

This game by any estimation, regardless of how short it is (I'm betting we'll see updates that add additional items, levels, and more to extend it) is fun, clever, funny, addictive, and rewarding to play and is a total bargain at $9.99 from Steam. All of that makes for an A+ easy recommendation for just about anyone! Well done! Easily one of the best indie titles I've seen this year!
  15. Jun 8, 2013
    Awesome Game Good job, folks
  16. Jun 3, 2013
    Granted I've barely started but so far it seems absolutely sick. I love how you can rewire the circuits you just feel like such a slick bastard. This is how stealth games are meant to be, not just sneaking around for ages before getting caught then its all over. This game forces you to be stealthy as the enemies fire immediately which is awesome IMO, it means you have to do the game theGranted I've barely started but so far it seems absolutely sick. I love how you can rewire the circuits you just feel like such a slick bastard. This is how stealth games are meant to be, not just sneaking around for ages before getting caught then its all over. This game forces you to be stealthy as the enemies fire immediately which is awesome IMO, it means you have to do the game the stealthy way MOST of the time. Sometimes you get lucky. ^_^ Expand
  17. Jun 8, 2013
    Really liked the game, been following its development for a while now and the music, humour of the story and especially the unique mechanics make it a great puzzle platformer.
  18. Jun 10, 2013
    Very nice puzzle, with great story. I wish the storyline was longer, but that's pretty much the only complaint. Graphics is intentionally simplistic, but really it doesn't need to be anything more.
  19. Jun 13, 2013
    One of the few indie games I really enjoyed playing through, my only problem with it is that it doesn't last for very long, but if you want something new and refreshing this is a game I would definitely recommend.
  20. Jun 6, 2013
    Just absolutely amazing mix of puzzle and thrilling stealth action. One of the most fun platformers I have ever played. It pushes you to question and analyze the environments so you can use gadgets and stealth to perfect espionage.
  21. Jun 3, 2013
    Tom Francis (creator of Gunpoint) did an amazing job, not only with the design of the game itself, but with the entire process, knowing when to listen to feedback and when to do things his own way, as well as assembling an awesome small team of artists and composers to really make Gunpoint fit the theme he wanted perfectly. I was in Beta, and I've purchased the game too of course, andTom Francis (creator of Gunpoint) did an amazing job, not only with the design of the game itself, but with the entire process, knowing when to listen to feedback and when to do things his own way, as well as assembling an awesome small team of artists and composers to really make Gunpoint fit the theme he wanted perfectly. I was in Beta, and I've purchased the game too of course, and I've played through it over 35 hours now. Not bad for a "3-5 hour game" I'd say. Right now it's $9, normally $10. For a finished game that is as fun as this, that's a steal. Try the demo, too, as it even has a bit of humor that you get at the end! Don't like Steam? You can get the demo and a DRM-free copy on the game's website (www.gunpointgame.com). The two special editions both include in-game developer commentary, which I'm not even halfway through the game and already I'm laughing, learning, and truly enjoying what Tom and his Team have to say. Whatever you do, don't miss at least trying this one! Expand
  22. Jun 5, 2013
    Such a creative masterpiece for and experimental project. Breath taking game-play in simple video and outstanding audio pleasure. Some unexpected gunshots literally add me jumping out of my chair in fright! The different routes you can take in a mission and optional mission routes really helps this game feel more personal and really helps buff out what feels to be too short of anSuch a creative masterpiece for and experimental project. Breath taking game-play in simple video and outstanding audio pleasure. Some unexpected gunshots literally add me jumping out of my chair in fright! The different routes you can take in a mission and optional mission routes really helps this game feel more personal and really helps buff out what feels to be too short of an experience. This game makes you feel like a genious spy and you give yourself all the credit. I can't wait until some form of publishing our levels comes out so I can enjoy this game even more deeply! Great work Tom! Expand
  23. Jun 21, 2013
    The game makes you think outside of the box. With very cool and unique abilities to alter your settings opening many possibilities to complete a level in anyway you like, whether it be full on stealth to a fast speed run, you decide! The game comes with a good story which allows the user to pick 2-3 options on what they can say, which will have a slight impact. The graphics and music fitThe game makes you think outside of the box. With very cool and unique abilities to alter your settings opening many possibilities to complete a level in anyway you like, whether it be full on stealth to a fast speed run, you decide! The game comes with a good story which allows the user to pick 2-3 options on what they can say, which will have a slight impact. The graphics and music fit perfectly well together with the feel of the game. I'm glad a very fine puzzle game has come out. It very well represents puzzle games. Expand
  24. Jun 25, 2013
    Really great platformed. The music, story and game play all mesh together to create one astounding game. Although it was short, I see a Steam workshop on the horizon.
  25. Jul 21, 2013
    This game has an old school 8 bit feeling. I like the puzzles on the levels, but for me is a bit easy and was too fast to finish the game. Would be good to have more levels, or DC levels or even level editor so the fans could create more fun. definitely worth the money!
  26. Jan 1, 2014
    Marvellous, marvellous game with a fun story and a great game mechanic. Really interesting use of stealth hacking and puzzles and the level design is superb. Just buy it, you won't regret it.
  27. Jun 23, 2013
    Great game, my only negative about the game is regarding the length. It only lasts 3-4 hours max... so take that into consideration when buying it. The stealth/puzzle aspects of the game are exceptionally done, and there are a number of solutions to each mission depending on how violent/stealthy you choose to be. The story line is engaging at least at first, but it gets a bit too clicheGreat game, my only negative about the game is regarding the length. It only lasts 3-4 hours max... so take that into consideration when buying it. The stealth/puzzle aspects of the game are exceptionally done, and there are a number of solutions to each mission depending on how violent/stealthy you choose to be. The story line is engaging at least at first, but it gets a bit too cliche toward the end and runs a bit long... but still not bad. Overall, it's an enjoyable game that ends at exactly the right time, highly recommend if you can grab it on sale. Expand
  28. Sep 18, 2013
    Great game. Very simple but a lot of fun. Bought it due to low price but am very happy with it. It is a simple story about being a spy and finishing a job. There are a few choices that are good or bad but the gameplay is fun. This is a game you can play for a few minutes or hours and still be happy with it.
  29. Jun 7, 2013
    Came for the stealth-puzzle-action game, stayed for the freaking dialogues. So amazing. Game's a bit short and could use some polishing here and there especially for its price, but it's still damn great and clever in many ways!
  30. X0R
    Jun 18, 2013
    love indie games like this, very fun, creative, can play for 10-15mins for a quick session, cool options at a reasonable price. Would definitely buy again from this developer.

1. Oct 7, 2013
    Stealth, puzzles and film noir mix beautifully. The only criticism is that it’s over too soon. [Aug 2013]
  2. Aug 8, 2013
    Delightful and clever, but also a bit limited. [Sept 2013, p.74]
  3. Aug 2, 2013
    10 dollars spent on Gunpoint is 10 dollars well spent. [CD-Action 09/2013, p.68]