Guns of Icarus Online PC

8.8

1. Jan 19, 2013
    Truly immersive graphics and audio grabs the player and thrusts them into the middle of a explosive steam-punk universe that many gamers have been craving for. This game shines when it is played with friends as crew.
  2. Oct 31, 2012
    I created a Metacritic account today just to provide a review for this game because Guns of Icarus Online is that Great of a title. You don't have to be an aviation nut (I am), you don't have to enjoy steampunk (It helps) and you certainly don't have to dedicate hours (which I sometimes do) to enjoy this title. It's the type of game that you can log in for 30 minutes and leave with someI created a Metacritic account today just to provide a review for this game because Guns of Icarus Online is that Great of a title. You don't have to be an aviation nut (I am), you don't have to enjoy steampunk (It helps) and you certainly don't have to dedicate hours (which I sometimes do) to enjoy this title. It's the type of game that you can log in for 30 minutes and leave with some great memorable game experiences.

I've been beta testing since August, and I have to say, impressed is an understatement. The Muse Games team has a real gem of a game and here's why:

1. Voice Feature. Sounds simple, but really, how many games do you play today that has a push to talk feature built into the game? This voice feature really enhances the game experience and promotes dialogue among strangers. This is worth it's weight in gold.

2. Continual improvements. While this game just left Beta, that doesn't mean the team is slowing down, they are constantly adding new content, new maps and are focusing on producing a persistent DLC adventure mode. 3. Balancing. Ships feel well balanced, as does the logistics, the development team is doing a great job of addressing player concerns on a case by case basis. There is room for improvement, but as is, the game feels polished and engaging. The one point I'd dock is for lack of an ability to fire on another ship with a blunderbuss or a pistol. I hope they re-evaluate there position on this, but as it stands, this is a ship-to-ship strategy game.

4. Graphics and Audio. Pump that settings up to high and fly your way through a very beautiful world. Muse has created some very interesting environments that allows for some very fun gameplay options. When your in there world, you feel immersion, excitement and drama.

5. Developer Team. Very small but very connected to the community, they listen and they respond to the tester team, they continually improve the game and they keep a very transparent policy when it comes to artistic direction, technical specs and resolving issues. I see this team growing along with there wonderful concept of a game.

Now go buy the game and see what I'm talking about. You will not regret it.
  3. Nov 2, 2012
    Great game if you have a bunch of friends who would also want to team up with you and man an warship of the skies! 1) Co-Op: Cooperation is a must. Captians have to talk the other teams Captians to organize attacks. Engineers and Gunners will often spot an enemy long before the Captain sees it. And of course when the ship is damaged sometimes everyone has to chip in an repair. Lots ofGreat game if you have a bunch of friends who would also want to team up with you and man an warship of the skies! 1) Co-Op: Cooperation is a must. Captians have to talk the other teams Captians to organize attacks. Engineers and Gunners will often spot an enemy long before the Captain sees it. And of course when the ship is damaged sometimes everyone has to chip in an repair. Lots of frantic shouting over the games voice communication normally leads to success. A great game if you have a bunch of friends that want to man a steampunk combat airship with you.

2) Graphics: Very good at making yo feel like you are flying. Lots of cool smoke and cloud effects. Could use a little work here and there but overall very convincing and good. 3) Gameplay: There are three classes to choose from Captian (Pilot), Engineer, or Gunner. Obviously the Pilot is very important for the success of the ship. He/she has to constantly evaluate where the best place is for the ship. It helps if you have a crew that communicates... ie hey move the ship to the left a little so I can actually hit an enemy (since the guns have limited movement), or hey there is an enemy below us (since the Pilot can't see everything). Altitude advantage and knowing where your guns are is important. The Engineer is very meh for me... you run around trying to repair stuff or buff stuff. The Engineer can man guns but he has limited types of ammunition o choose from. Still... good engineers can really increase a ships survivability. The gunner is just raw fun. Point and shoot at stuff. Use cool ammo and make stuff blow up! Regardless of what class you play, EVERYONE has to chip in to help the ship succeed. Voice chat (already provided) is great in this game. There are also a large variety of guns and ship classes with different pros and cons. 4) Interface/match making. This aspect needs some work. It would be nice to be able to just form a party with a group of friends and join an available match. Also there are some glitches where you will exit out of match (you can rejoin though. Overall, for $20 its great for some cheap thrills with friends. You can just hop in for a thirty minute romp. Or you can play all night. Its a casual game but has some depth too. Its very novel and fun. As long as the developers keep working on it (and they seem to be) this game will grow into something awesome.
  4. May 18, 2014
    I bought this game when it was first released in 2012 Oct and after I played some few rounds I have not played this game since. The biggest reason why I did not played this game after is because it requires some serious team communication to even destroy a single ship. Back than I did not have any friends who played this game so maintaining a ship and trying to fight was not so smooth.I bought this game when it was first released in 2012 Oct and after I played some few rounds I have not played this game since. The biggest reason why I did not played this game after is because it requires some serious team communication to even destroy a single ship. Back than I did not have any friends who played this game so maintaining a ship and trying to fight was not so smooth. However recently this game went on sale for $7.50 for 4 copies of the game so i bought two 4 pack bundle and played with 7 of my other friends controlling the 2 ship. I got to say when you have a team communication with your crews and captain of other ship in your team you can have some major fun in this game. It is worth the money you paid for. When you are in the middle of battle screaming for orders from captain and all the explosions happening around you, you will be seriously immersed in this game. Now if you will be playing this game with your friends it is no doubt 9 or even 10/10 but I have got to say it can get frustration and even seem very unfair and brutal if you play by yourself with uncoordinated team. So my final verdict is 8.5 out 10 Expand
  5. May 16, 2014
    I love it, addictive, fun and nice community just wish it had a single player campaign... The idea behind it is awesome just think I would be fun exploring more of the world...
  6. May 16, 2014
    Let me start off by saying that this game requires an enormous amount of teamwork, communication, and coordination in order to do well. If you cannot find that, you will not have a good time with Guns of Icarus Online. If you can't use a mic, then it is not a good idea to be a captain, for it is more than just flying a ship. These reasons are why I find that player retention is quite low.Let me start off by saying that this game requires an enormous amount of teamwork, communication, and coordination in order to do well. If you cannot find that, you will not have a good time with Guns of Icarus Online. If you can't use a mic, then it is not a good idea to be a captain, for it is more than just flying a ship. These reasons are why I find that player retention is quite low.

This game is an incredibly immersive experience. Several different ships that you'll need to learn the ins and outs of, the weaponry, tools, pilot and gunner slots.

This game has a very high skill floor and skill ceiling, as every weapon you use has it's own arc, pattern, and momentum inheritance. Making just about every single shot you take require about as much skill as the next weapon. Not to mention that every weapon has their own unique damage types, some doing well at damaging certain areas of the enemy ships.

This game features no progression system to get any new ships, weapons, tools, or slots. All of that is given to you at the start. There is an achievement and leveling system, and there are cosmetic rewards for earning those achievements and levels, as well as badges and prefix titles.

Expect to wait in lobby's for anywhere between 10-30+ minutes. It takes time to build several crews! Thankfully, alt-tabbing won't crash you on most computers, so feel free to listen to some music. Or bring a gameboy while you wait in the lobby.

The artwork is incredible as is the steampunk setting. The amount of cosmetics and dyes you can either purchase or earn will allow you to give your character a unique and stylish look so that you don't feel like some copy/paste clone.

If you enjoy games that give you all the tools you need to succeed in the beginning. Absolutely no pay to win system, as well as a very well-made and well-balanced steampunk airship crew-style game. with a very high skill ceiling. You will love this. A lot.
  7. Mar 16, 2014
    An absolutely magnificent piece of work. An original and engaging game, Guns of Icarus Online is an absolute thrill to play either with strangers in its matchmaking mode or with your own crew of steampunk rogues.

There's really nothing like dashing in and out of pitched battle raining fire in your Squid, opening up a full broadside barrage with a Galleon or dashing in headlong with a Pyramidion, putting your navigational skills and cunning to the test.

How about dashing to and fro, making your way through the inner corridors of a mighty Mobula, dousing fires and repairing damage as you, your toolkit and your technical ingenuity become the only things keeping the great beast afloat?

Or maybe that's not your style. No, leave the fiddling about to the wrench jockeys. The gunner's for you. Be it taking your enemies apart piece by piece with the deadly accuracy of the Mercury Field Gun, or simply letting loose with a gatling gun like Reb Brown (screaming optional but encouraged). Break out the big guns and fire off a few dozen missiles with the Manticore Hwacha, or turn their balloon to shredded cloth with the colossal Lumberjack mortar. If you're feeling particularly nasty, perhaps use incendiary rounds. Need one massive blast in a pinch? Let them have it with a single massive Lochnagar blast. The choice is yours, and there's plenty of it.

Whatever your preference, you're sure to find a role in the best, most cohesive teamwork I've ever seen in a game since the release of Artemis. Make no mistake, though. In the words of Malcolm Reynolds, only a fool don't know that his family's his crew, and if you haven't joined up with your own, you'd best make friends fast, or there's no way you'll survive.

The only reason I've ranked this a ten is because I can't rank it higher.
  8. Jan 16, 2014
    Guns of icarus is a very good co-op game that needs communication. The fact that you will be part of a crew of 5 ( i think ) is a very good factor. Communication in this game is the key to win. The Leader will pilot the ship whilst the powder monkeys will manage the guns and the engineers will repair any damaged parts. The only flaw of the game is there are different game modes but theyGuns of icarus is a very good co-op game that needs communication. The fact that you will be part of a crew of 5 ( i think ) is a very good factor. Communication in this game is the key to win. The Leader will pilot the ship whilst the powder monkeys will manage the guns and the engineers will repair any damaged parts. The only flaw of the game is there are different game modes but they are all identical (You just have to destroy destroy destroy) Its not a boring game at all, but it gets a bit repetitive. One more thing is that players can freely quit the game without any penalty. Graphics are very detailed, you could also customize your character for show. My conclusion: It is a very fun game, good communication system ( you just have to press x to talk ), good for co-op people, but just a bit repetitive. Expand
  9. May 18, 2014
    The game gave me quite an amount of entertaiment but you have to like this sort of asymetrical gameplay. Also teamplay is a must. You have to be ready to be the cog in the machine sometimes. Whats the biggest pro of the game? You can jump in for a low price and have everything avaiable from start. No level restrictions for ships and items, you dont have to spend hours until you can finallyThe game gave me quite an amount of entertaiment but you have to like this sort of asymetrical gameplay. Also teamplay is a must. You have to be ready to be the cog in the machine sometimes. Whats the biggest pro of the game? You can jump in for a low price and have everything avaiable from start. No level restrictions for ships and items, you dont have to spend hours until you can finally use something. You can log in, play for an hour, have fun and then log out. You remember? Like games where before everything had to have a bloody progress bar. Expand
  10. May 17, 2014
    Heyyo, when this game came out is was buggy and broken and the publication reviews show it... but the devs have stuck by the game, constantly improving it and adding more content and features such as clans and events (among other recent additions such as customizing the ship which is badass), and it definitely deserves another try for anyone who is a fan of Air Bucaneers. This game isHeyyo, when this game came out is was buggy and broken and the publication reviews show it... but the devs have stuck by the game, constantly improving it and adding more content and features such as clans and events (among other recent additions such as customizing the ship which is badass), and it definitely deserves another try for anyone who is a fan of Air Bucaneers. This game is better than Air Bucaneers in many-many ways. It runs great, looks great (especially compared to other Unity Engine games) and is very enjoyable with a group of friends. :) Expand
  11. Nov 10, 2013
    Steampunk-style airships battle each other in team fights on a fairly limited amount of maps. There is no PvE mode, only competetive modes. Each ship has crew of 4 players on it, with different roles (gunner, engineer, pilot and one is additionaly a ship's captain). Co-op part of the game is done very well, victory usually depends on a good cooperation between crew members and shipSteampunk-style airships battle each other in team fights on a fairly limited amount of maps. There is no PvE mode, only competetive modes. Each ship has crew of 4 players on it, with different roles (gunner, engineer, pilot and one is additionaly a ship's captain). Co-op part of the game is done very well, victory usually depends on a good cooperation between crew members and ship captains. Surprisingly large amount of people use microphones and are actually willing to coop, so playing with randoms is perfectly viable if you don't expect to win every time. You can also play with bots in your team, and they are quite decent. Learning how to play it's quite easy and controls are pretty intuitive, so it's easy to pick up.
    There are various types of ships and captain can customize ship's weapons to his liking's, which is a good thing, but it could have been deeper than just weapons...You can also customize your character with special equipment (like special ammo types for gunner) which makes the game a bit more interesting, and customize looks of your character with a huge selection of masks, helmets, costumes and what not, however keep in mind that FOR MOST COSMETICS YOU HAVE TO PAY WITH REAL CASH those that are free don't look hideous so you can enjoy it without paying. Also all usable items are unlocked for free, without paying.
    Technically game is quite good, very stable and with almost no glitches. Graphics look a little dated, and there are silly things like not being able to see other ships' crew members, which makes you fight ghost ships that steer themselves.
    The game's main problem is lack of content. Even though devs are pumping content patches every now and then (over the course of 3 months it was hmm I think 1 ship and 1 new map, so not much .
    It is getting bored really quickly, because there are about 4 maps in this, not counting the tutorial map which is just a huge empty desert. There is not enough equipment and ship types/weapons to keep you interested for long. It all becomes extremely retentive after a few days/weeks deepening on your repetitiveness tolerance. Having a friends as your crew certainly would help increase the fun though.

Overall this is a decent game with a great price (I bought it for about 5 I think). Grab it if you like steampunk and co-op PvP games that are challenging but easy to pick up
  12. Jun 26, 2014
    This game absolutely deserves a ten. Incredibly immersive and atmosperhic world and fantastic gameplay with lots of planning and teamwork. And it only costs 3,74 euro now on steam.
    If you like games that require thinking and cooperation, do yourself a favour and buy this one, you won't be disapointed. This game beats every BF and all the other kiddie crap any day.
    And while you're at

And while you're at it, do yourself another favour and convince at least two friends to get it as well.
  13. May 23, 2014
    The Ambiance of this game adds the reality to the game for as I would hoped it would. This game is a perfect time consumer, but not all fun and games. This particular game requires you to participate in all efforts and challenges the game has to offer. It is also TEAMWORK heavy meaning; no messing around, no shouting commands when you aren't doing squat yourself, and no taking randomThe Ambiance of this game adds the reality to the game for as I would hoped it would. This game is a perfect time consumer, but not all fun and games. This particular game requires you to participate in all efforts and challenges the game has to offer. It is also TEAMWORK heavy meaning; no messing around, no shouting commands when you aren't doing squat yourself, and no taking random positions and accounting for fun on your own time. You need to listen to your team, every word they say matters. Also the reason I gave this game an 8 was because the games dedicated servers are pretty bad. Expand
  14. Jul 23, 2013
    Very fun game, especially if you have friends to play it with! Some of the in-game stuff is kind of expensive but it is mainly meant to make your character look nice (so not mandatory at all) BUY THIS GAME
  15. Jul 5, 2014
    Original and excellent coop game, epic battles, good community, well balanced, endure the calm before the tempest. It's not just another independent game, it's a really good one ! Choose between 3 classes, many ships et arsenal, pieces of equipment like buff hammer, special ammo. I highly recommend it !
  16. May 28, 2014
    One of the best game I played in a long time! I don't like steam punk at all... well this game is so well executed and the gameplay is so rich that I don't even notice it. The game si for MAC, PC and LINUX so there's no excuses to not play it.
  17. Jun 21, 2014
    Beautiful design, the devs have an awesome integrity towards the game, the game isn't finished and will only get better, also once you get into it, you'll never want to stop playing. All rolls on the ship keep the stimulated and it's very enjoyable, all the way through.
  18. Jun 24, 2014
    It's truly disappointing that some critics cannot see the originality behind this game. GOI: Online is like nothing I've ever seen before and it has incredible potential as a game to play with all of your friends. It really deserves more than these biased reviewers.
  19. Jul 30, 2014
    I relay like this game, and i think most of the other reviews sum it up very well, but i have a few things to add.
    1. The Bugynis that most "professionals" are mentioning is no longer existent, shure there is the occasional bugs, but they are barley noticeable
    2. It requires a LARGE amount of Co-OP and with out communication and Cooperation you WILL lose and it WILL NOT BE PRETTY
  20. Mar 7, 2015
    Guns of Icarus Online is an online team skybattle game with the emphasys on team work.
    You can play either deathmatch or capture point modes on 6 completely different ships with a 4-man crew in 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 team matches. Teamwork is extremely important but since the actualy work is pretty straightforward you don't feel burdened.
    Since you can choose the guns you're going to use on

Since you can choose the guns you're going to use on your ship there are a lot of really interesting and often crazy combinations you can try with endless results possible. Not to mention a lot of vanity items being either sold for a small price or freely distributed to players playing certain matches, along with steam workshop support.

One of the things I found extremely intriguing of this game is that bullets have realistic recoil, drop, etc based on their weight, rotation, shape, etc. This makes gunner's job extremely interesting because with different guns you'll have to aim in completely different ways to hit your targets.
    The same goes for ships, you have mass, aceleration, max speed (simulating air friction) and mostly because of this flying a ship is EXTREMELY fun, not to mention strategies and combat tactics.
    What about the last class remaining, engineers, don't they have fun? Yeah they do, putting off fires,trying to repair parts faster than enemy gunners damage they take, etc.

Gameplay aside you have extremely well designed graphic, all post-apocalyptic steampunk flavoured with stunning light effects (which you get to enjoy the most, flying in the skies). Not to mention the music, just a few themes but perfectly fitting the environment. Probably not 10/10 is the sound effect compartment, but still not below 9/10.

Also, the game uses the Unity3D game engine, which means that it virtually supports any known to man device, and the devs did a good job on that so the game works (with cross platform internet play) on MS Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, PlayStation3, ...

This game has (always had) just one big issue, since it's a niche game (actually almost the only of its kind) there are really few players connected at the same time around the world (200~500), still I have to say I never failed to play a match within at most a bunch of minutes from when I started searching for it.

So, well, extremely suggested for everyone: you like chess play and such, go piloting your ship; you like to burst things down with huge cannons, go gunner; you don't like chess play and you're really bad at aiming, go engineer, and keep your crew alive.
  21. Aug 19, 2014
    This is truly a great game.If you are good with communication and teamwork this is the game for you.This game grabs you into a game of ships and guns/harpoons/cannons.This is a action packed game were (like stated earlier) teamwork is the key.
  22. May 25, 2015
    As long as they can continue development and work on balance issues Guns of Icarus was money well spent. It's a shame I found this one so late because it already feels to be slipping.
  23. Sep 28, 2014
    Довольно хорошо сделано!
    Захватывает,100% ко-оп!
    Многообразие дирижаблей и карт!
    Хорошая графика!
    Фоновая музыка есть и не отвлекает!
    Твердая 8!
  24. Dec 5, 2014
    Wow I can't believe these critics gave this game such a low score, what do they play it for 5 minutes then rate it? This game is great, probably the most fun team based game since TF2. Graphics are pretty awesome, the style of the game is just grand. Out of my 100+ games on steam this is one of 5 installed and played consistently. This game needs more players, it deserves to be moreWow I can't believe these critics gave this game such a low score, what do they play it for 5 minutes then rate it? This game is great, probably the most fun team based game since TF2. Graphics are pretty awesome, the style of the game is just grand. Out of my 100+ games on steam this is one of 5 installed and played consistently. This game needs more players, it deserves to be more popular. I hope that the critic score isn't affecting that. Expand
  25. Feb 21, 2015
    In all honesty, this is one of the better games I've played in the past 3 years. Games do not keep my interest very easily these days, as I am very picky. I picked up this game on the steam sale, and I'm very glad I did. The ships are very well balanced, each have an up side and down side. Some are a bit harder to play than others, but with teamwork any can work. Don't be fooled by theIn all honesty, this is one of the better games I've played in the past 3 years. Games do not keep my interest very easily these days, as I am very picky. I picked up this game on the steam sale, and I'm very glad I did. The ships are very well balanced, each have an up side and down side. Some are a bit harder to play than others, but with teamwork any can work. Don't be fooled by the retarded critics, who have only played this for about 2 minutes and called it a bad game. Expand
  26. Jul 25, 2013
    Just bought it during a Steam sale. I regret not buying it sooner, even at full price. Such an amazing concept very well executed. The community is awesome, so many people have mics.
  27. Aug 11, 2013
    Guns of Icarus is a modern masterpiece tackling a style of game play that few have ever tried and most have failed. The game is imersive and beautiful with very in depth mechanics, definitely a game to be played with friends for some all out fun.
  28. Jun 6, 2013
    Awesome steampunk setting with great team-work potential. The airship battles are great especially if you have a good crew. They require some strategy though, so don't heistate to read game's wiki.
    It's delicious and creamy with cherry on top if you can get your friends to play it I unfortunately could not because my friends are not into steampunk (I'm not either, or I wasn't untill I played this game). There are microtransactions but they are ONLY comsetics so don't worry about it and you get some of them for achievements. Graphics are pretty decent, airships look very detailed and interesting. It bored me after some time because of not much content atm (though they're producing new monthly) and because each match with random players is a roulette you can find friendly, experienced crew members or retarted kids with no brains and girly voices. Luckily it's usually the 1st case. Give it a try, don't hate steampunk untill you try it
  29. May 20, 2013
    This is a fantastic team based game. The way you have to work together with your drew to win against your opponents is done very well. The graphics are beautiful, this game achieves an amazing feel of a steampunk world. The community is also great, people are very friendly and willing to help teach you to improve. Playing with friends is a major plus but not necessary. The developers alsoThis is a fantastic team based game. The way you have to work together with your drew to win against your opponents is done very well. The graphics are beautiful, this game achieves an amazing feel of a steampunk world. The community is also great, people are very friendly and willing to help teach you to improve. Playing with friends is a major plus but not necessary. The developers also listen to the players and are always working on more content for the game. The only this that has kept me from giving this a 10/10 is that there are some improvements that could be made to the lobby system, like the ability to make parties with friends and queue up together, but that is it really. Expand
  30. Nov 25, 2012
    Such a great game. A few of my friends and I got the game at the same time and are having a blast. The game is super easy to learn, and is some of the coolest gameplay I've ever seen. Teamwork is a must, so if you don't have buddies to play with, it might not be the best game for you. My only complaint is that the in-game costumes for your character cost real money.
  31. Jan 30, 2013
    An incredibly beautiful project and original gameplay. Guns of Icarus Online one of my favorite releases from the past few months. It's incredible to see such a highly polished game produced in Unity. I always login to play a quick match, but find myself addicted for hours, screaming at my crew and having a complete blast! If you have 3 gamer friends and need a great game to play, thisAn incredibly beautiful project and original gameplay. Guns of Icarus Online one of my favorite releases from the past few months. It's incredible to see such a highly polished game produced in Unity. I always login to play a quick match, but find myself addicted for hours, screaming at my crew and having a complete blast! If you have 3 gamer friends and need a great game to play, this game is a must. Collapse

1. May 19, 2013
    There is some fun to be had with this game, and there is definitely a lot of potential given how the game is still evolving even though you can play it now.
  2. Nov 30, 2012
    It's good to see there are still developers who dare to try something different. Because let's be honest..how many zeppelin sims are out there now? Exactly. Guns of Icarus Online offers a fun concept, working together with some random players on a flying fortress, trying to defend it from other, similar foes. Bugs and lag cause major disappointment however. That's a shame, because the idea is great. Let's hope a great amount of patches will deal with these problems.
  3. Nov 16, 2012
    Despite its visual beauty and impressive execution, limited gameplay and general bugginess hold everything back. This beast has room to grow. When it does, expect great things. For now, a little turbulence makes for a bumpy ride.