8.6

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2075 Ratings

1. EvaF.
    Jul 24, 2006
    It's a great game but it's so short.
  2. JohnA.
    Jul 28, 2006
    Although it was short it was a great game overall. One of my favorite games ever! I hope they make episode 2 soon they keep ending it and i want to paly more!
  3. MattB
    Jul 28, 2006
    An excellent game with amazing AI, story, and gameplay. However it was over before you noticed, and too similar to HL2. After seeing the trailer for the next episode I see that they've added a new enemies (or enemies) and hopefully a new weapon or two. If your a penny pincher, wait till these episodes get bundled.
  4. Jack
    Jul 31, 2006
    This Game Is Amazing! You Can Not Get Any Better Than This!
  5. mwagner
    Jul 3, 2006
    Finally got a chance to finish this game and I'm stunned at how much fun it was. The underground parking garage levels were absolutely amazing...And the NPC AI has improved significantly. I loved all the puzzles in the game, EXCEPT the antlion holes having to be covered over by cars. That got old quick.

Overall, an amazing game. Can't wait for episode 2!
  6. AnsonG
    Jul 3, 2006
    Half-Life 2 was a huge disappointment for me. Only 2 1/2 hour i finished this game. Why the valve created this game such a time like this? The game chapter were quite few, there is no new weapon at all, and theres only one new enemy creature, which is call Zombine. Yes, i like that enemy. The gameplay is your typical Half-Life 2 but there were only a few exciting and nervewracking momentsHalf-Life 2 was a huge disappointment for me. Only 2 1/2 hour i finished this game. Why the valve created this game such a time like this? The game chapter were quite few, there is no new weapon at all, and theres only one new enemy creature, which is call Zombine. Yes, i like that enemy. The gameplay is your typical Half-Life 2 but there were only a few exciting and nervewracking moments to be found. Anyway Episode One is worth a rental. Expand
  7. DJBreslin
    Jul 4, 2006
    I enjoyed it a lot. You play almost the entire episode with Alyx, which I considered refreshing. She
  8. Miles
    Jul 7, 2006
    Great stroy really sucks you in. Only problems are way to short i really wish they could have given it a little more time at least i hop EP2 will come out real soon to make up for short gameplay.
  9. Parker
    Jul 7, 2006
    fun to play continues the story but i was really dissapointed one the gravity gun was used like one third the game second way way to short third it said i needed to update a bunch of stuff i did and it still syas it i had to lower the game setting even though my computer surpasses the reccomend requirments forth alyx seems to be pretty strong surviving grenandes and like ten people fun to play continues the story but i was really dissapointed one the gravity gun was used like one third the game second way way to short third it said i needed to update a bunch of stuff i did and it still syas it i had to lower the game setting even though my computer surpasses the reccomend requirments forth alyx seems to be pretty strong surviving grenandes and like ten people shoting her all at once fith the endind ahhh why do they have to end them like this its like straight up oh my gosh what next then in a second that it are you kidding me. and finally 20 dollars for a couple hours of gameplay i barely play games that much really and i got this done in a evening no not even an evening more like two or four hours come on guys you cant expect me to pay for a couple hours. the only reason it is a 7 is because of the story i really enjoy all of the action in the game lets hope that EP2 is longer thats all i ask oh and to reviel the plot some more all we now guy kills bad guys aliens help wierd thing with a mask follows you and a dude in a suit ahhhh. Expand
  10. RoyB.
    Jul 9, 2006
    I keep this short. I may be not a huge fan of bringing games into our room in different episodes but it wont keep me down from saying I enjoyed this one alot again just like with HL2 itself. Maybe there hasn't changed much but it wouldn't keep me down from having a lot of fun again. The atmosphere is again top and the engine is still state of the art. Btw. The engine got a great I keep this short. I may be not a huge fan of bringing games into our room in different episodes but it wont keep me down from saying I enjoyed this one alot again just like with HL2 itself. Maybe there hasn't changed much but it wouldn't keep me down from having a lot of fun again. The atmosphere is again top and the engine is still state of the art. Btw. The engine got a great boost since HDR Lightning is introduced. Great story to... I can't wait till I see what happens in the second episode. Expand
  11. TobyK.
    Jul 9, 2006
    EP1 is a very good addon. I don't agree with those who say that it's too short. Remember that you didn't pay the full price, just one-third. And that is what you get with EP1: one-third of an addon. There are still 2 episodes more to come which i'm realy looking forward to play.
  12. MilamberB.
    Jul 9, 2006
    Fantastic graphics, solid gameplay in a short bitesize piece. If Valve released these every six months or so they will be starting a great epic.
  13. dg
    Aug 16, 2006
    The only reason people complain about pricing is because they buy too many games to start off with. I exercise, work, read, then play a game. I stick to Blizzard and Valve usually because they deliver good stories with fun gameplay. They don't "overprice" their games. This episode was only 20$. Consider moderation, and maybe you'll be more appreciative.
  14. WillC
    Aug 19, 2006
    I have not yet played the game and so my 5 being my rating is somewhat biased, but the reason I have not yet purchased half life 2 ep. 1 is also do to the pricing. I agree 100% with Jon H. I have not doubt the game is an excellent one, but splitting an entire game into episodes really is a joke. Why not combine them all and call the collective episodes 'Half-Life 3'. WhyI have not yet played the game and so my 5 being my rating is somewhat biased, but the reason I have not yet purchased half life 2 ep. 1 is also do to the pricing. I agree 100% with Jon H. I have not doubt the game is an excellent one, but splitting an entire game into episodes really is a joke. Why not combine them all and call the collective episodes 'Half-Life 3'. Why valve thinks it has to exploit its fans in order to be successful boggles my mind. The half life series is one of the best, people will put their money into whether or not it comes in parts. I for one am also eager and willing to put my dollar down on any of valves new creations, except thats is, when its obvieous my whole dollar is only paying for a quarter of a game. Expand
  15. RamtinD.
    Aug 20, 2006
    Great game outstanding graphics and worth playing.
  16. CalebM.
    Aug 2, 2006
    Any fan of the Half Life series will like the gameplay and storyline in episode one. However, finishing the game the first time you sit down and play it will leave you wondering if you got 20 bucks worth of a game. You would expect at least one new weapon but all you get is the same type of gameplay as the first with a couple different use your head puzzles. It is a good continuation of Any fan of the Half Life series will like the gameplay and storyline in episode one. However, finishing the game the first time you sit down and play it will leave you wondering if you got 20 bucks worth of a game. You would expect at least one new weapon but all you get is the same type of gameplay as the first with a couple different use your head puzzles. It is a good continuation of Half Life 2, but, you are left wishing you got more for your money at the end. Expand
  17. DrewH.
    Aug 2, 2006
    It was a great continuation to the story and the graphics and AI are top-notch, it was a tad to short and hopefully the second episode can keep the momentum.
  18. PraedorA.
    Aug 24, 2006
    Excellent gameplay, great visuals (as usual for HL) and, best of all it allows me to continue playing. I was saddened to see the end of HL2 knowing that it would be a while before another game in the saga came along. Episode 1 gave me just the fix I needed to get me along to the next fix.
  19. Turtleproof
    Aug 24, 2006
    It was short but sweet. Using the flashlight to such an extent was sometimes exasperating, but the new sceanrios were good, as well as the puzzle elements. Seeing Alyx use a shotgun was great, and her invincibility was appreciated despite how strange it was. Great job on the Zombine voice-overs.
  20. StephenG.
    Aug 26, 2006
    Good continuation from the original HL2, maybe a little shorter than I would have liked, but it has taken a few sessions to knock it off.
  21. FrancescoM.
    Sep 25, 2006
    The best game I've ever bought.
  22. DanieleD.
    Sep 27, 2006
    An excellent job, the HDR is used very good.
  23. TheodorW.
    Sep 29, 2006
    Excellent Game - just need a co-op.
  24. StephenKellett
    Sep 30, 2006
    I found this game had too much of the same thing as in the main game, and gameplay was quite stingily short for the money. On the otherhand, a great game.
  25. ArdjanS.
    Sep 3, 2006
    The only minor downside to EP1 was that it indeed was a little short, but seen in the perspective that several such episodes will create an ongoing storyline, I am very happy with this choice of development path. Price is fine, EP1 is infact worth every penny for true HL2 lovers. Recommend to start in Hard mode to fully enjoy the challenges the game presents you. The nuisance of dieing The only minor downside to EP1 was that it indeed was a little short, but seen in the perspective that several such episodes will create an ongoing storyline, I am very happy with this choice of development path. Price is fine, EP1 is infact worth every penny for true HL2 lovers. Recommend to start in Hard mode to fully enjoy the challenges the game presents you. The nuisance of dieing (and yes you WILL die - many times) only adds to the experience ;-) Other upsides: Marvellous "interaction" with Alyx Fantastic Gfx Challenging puzzels Very nice dev. commentary with background info. Just dont enable it when you play it for the 1st time as it will spoil the game at times (reveals upcoming events) Story is left wide open for next episode Keep them coming!!! Expand
  26. William
    Nov 26, 2007
    Episode 1 is exciting, interesting, immersive, and fun. But it is _way_ to short. It has just a few hours of gameplay. By the time I felt I was getting back into the story (continued from HL2), the game was over; finished before lunchtime on the first day I played it.
  27. TomJ.
    Jan 15, 2007
    Not as good as Half-Life 2 (The main game). There is no real story and to less game time. And the beginning of the game is boring (the citadell / reactor level). And by the way: I hate your steam system!
  28. AlexanderK.
    Dec 13, 2007
    One of my favourite games. That's very intresting and fun, but so shortly. Excellent game with not boring story. A lot of people love this game, and i too.
  29. AdamD.
    Jan 21, 2007
    Awesome!
  30. CemeronB.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Fantastic game.... Great continuation of the second.
  31. ChrisMadsen
    Dec 29, 2007
    This series just can't go wrong. The characters are some of the best in any game, conveying emotion with facial expressions and body movement. You actually care about them as well as feeling supported as you perform heroic acts. The graphics have been bumped up a notch as well with the outside environments being a welcomed change. The new enemies, though few, do add to the mix.This series just can't go wrong. The characters are some of the best in any game, conveying emotion with facial expressions and body movement. You actually care about them as well as feeling supported as you perform heroic acts. The graphics have been bumped up a notch as well with the outside environments being a welcomed change. The new enemies, though few, do add to the mix. Also enjoyed the new car. Just had a whole lot of fun, especially at the end. WoW! The only criticism I have is that it occasionally felt a bit easy. However, I did only play it on normal difficulty. Expand
  32. Jamil
    Dec 30, 2007
    Adds new elements to combat, full HDR, brand new AI and adds more to the story of Half-Life.
  33. RyszardSkotnicki
    Jan 25, 2007
    Nicely cut. Keeps you on the verge of crushing either the sift W keys or the mouse primary fire. Lovely coulured scenes and the can't-be-mistaken-for-something-else Steam engine :-)
  34. jayRedlief
    Oct 9, 2007
    Great game! very fun, must have played it hundreds of times, pre-order the orange box just for episode 2, the zombie level gave me a thrill! but was to short(if you know what your doing) and would have loved to use the super gravity gun in other levels. And piloting an air vehicle wouldn't have hurt.. ; )
  35. JasonP.
    Feb 16, 2007
    Excellent game. Can't wait till Episode 2 is released. My only disapointment was that it wasn't as big as Half Life 2. HL2 took me weeks to finish. HL2-E1 took me a few days. Other than that.. It would have gotten a 10 from me as the games shelf life is vastly reduced.
  36. BrendonC.
    Feb 22, 2007
    Being able to command some antlions would have been good just after you kill the big warrior one although I know that this would have made call for more enemies.
  37. SteveJ.
    May 27, 2007
    Excellent 1st part of the trilogy, hope ep2 lives up to it.
  38. TravisJ.
    May 28, 2007
    A more riveting and humorous adventure than Half-Life 2
  39. Odysseus
    Jun 10, 2007
    Three words: Short but sweet
  40. StuartP.
    Jun 27, 2007
    this game is good everything is better than half life 2 apart from the fact that its way to small the game needed to be quite alot bigger. even though i liked it i felt a bit out of pocket for the fact that its like less than half a game
  41. SB
    Jul 11, 2007
    Very slick and smooth, a bit too short but exellent gameplay!!! Now hope that episode 2 comes out soon!!!
  42. DaveW.
    Aug 25, 2007
    Episode 1 doesn't drop atall in quality from Half-Life 2. The only problem is that it's a bit too short, even for an episodic release. Still, you can't argue the quality.
  43. TimB.
    Sep 12, 2007
    Great graphics. i think it helps in the story line a little but it should have been longer. a little to short on game play in my mind.
  44. NickZ.
    Oct 5, 2008
    It was nice to play some more HL2 and see the story continue. The game play was entertaining and gave me a fright sometimes. The game ended short and lacking, now downloading EP 2 to continue the story. Hopefully EP 2 gives a longer game play experience for the money.
  45. ChazC.
    Feb 24, 2008
    I'm highly disappointed in every person that BELIEVES an expansion pack is about bigger and better. Let valve tell the best story anyone has ever experienced and quit whining!
  46. AndreB.
    Feb 27, 2008
    Episode One comes and gives again the good experience that HL2 gave. But it's way too short. The company of Alyx Vance is very pleasant through the game and makes it different from HL2. It's great to finally see what happens after the "time-freeze" and to play the city 17 from the end to the beginning. From the Tower to the Station, it's a great experience. Unfortunately, Episode One comes and gives again the good experience that HL2 gave. But it's way too short. The company of Alyx Vance is very pleasant through the game and makes it different from HL2. It's great to finally see what happens after the "time-freeze" and to play the city 17 from the end to the beginning. From the Tower to the Station, it's a great experience. Unfortunately, the game is cheaper in US than in Brazil, where I happen to live... Here it's about 60 bucks! Expand
  47. DG
    Mar 13, 2008
    It's an E X P A N S I O N - not a NEW game! I was satisfied, except for the wierdness never intended to even have an answer. True, Alyx and Dawg were annoying and slow to catch up, but overall, I think it was fun. I'm looking forward to affording Ep 2. I do hope the environments change a bit more in Ep 2...
  48. MatthiasS.
    Apr 4, 2008
    The storyline playing on and you'll find new quest in the tradition of HL2. But in my mind playtime is too short!
  49. TenshihanQ.
    May 1, 2008
    Fantastic lighting and framerate all throughout the whole game. Tons of action and physical puzzle-challenges as well. An excellent follow-up storyline to the epic HL series - as could be expected from author Marc Laidlaw of the Valve-Team.
  50. EricoT.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Great game with better looks than HL2.
  51. ElieserT.
    Aug 25, 2008
    This is one of the best games ever, beautifully done, chossing the weapons is a bit tricky, thats about the only bad thing. You will get scared and your heart will beat fast at times, it gets verry intense, verry adicting. The cinematics are the best because you can move around and look at stuff while its going on, dont go to far or you will not hear the info. I cant wait for the next one.
  52. ChrisDixey
    Jan 6, 2009
    Half-Life 2: Episode 1 is just what fans of Half-Life 2 itch for after finishing the game, it's plot driven, it's challenging and it's fun. Admittedly, without being a fan of the Half-Life series the game has little to bring to the table that can't be found in it's predecessor, however, for anyone who has played Half-Life 2, Episode 1 is plot-heavy, action packedHalf-Life 2: Episode 1 is just what fans of Half-Life 2 itch for after finishing the game, it's plot driven, it's challenging and it's fun. Admittedly, without being a fan of the Half-Life series the game has little to bring to the table that can't be found in it's predecessor, however, for anyone who has played Half-Life 2, Episode 1 is plot-heavy, action packed and really gives more of a focus on everyone's favourite side kick, Alyx. Expand
  53. KoFF
    May 16, 2009
    Loved the game even though it was kind of short. Liked that you had support from alex throughout almost the entire game. Also loved some of the events that happened such as dogs little car launch at the beginning. The only thing i didnt really like about the game was it felt short and their wasnt really much of a fighting event or boss battle at the end.
  54. AaronW.
    Oct 13, 2006
    Magnificent. Was what Half-Life 2 should have been throughout, though Alex's drooling over Gordon getting tiresome.
  55. PeteH.
    Dec 12, 2006
    Very good game and plot, graphics are very impressive, even when not on full settings, I would say this is still one of the best looking games on the market but on the downside it isn't very long duration to complete the game, valve is milking the money from the consumer bringing them out as episodes, but it is better than waiting anouther 5 years for Half-Life 3.
  56. DanielHackett
    Oct 22, 2006
    Amazing continuation of the Half Life series, the graphics still look amazing and the new lighting system is breathtaking. Can't wait for episode two. It's a shame that there will be no Half Life 3 in the future but this is excellent regardless. Maybe when all three episodes are released then they'll be combined and then called Half Life 3.
  57. TylerW.
    Dec 24, 2006
    Though visually less polished than Half-Life 2, Episode one feels like some of the better level design and puzzle solving experiences of the series all brought together in one installment. It's well paced, well acted and directed. The NPC support was even stepped up a bit, making Alex feel more like a companion rather than computer AI. Overall, it can't be beat for $15-20 and Though visually less polished than Half-Life 2, Episode one feels like some of the better level design and puzzle solving experiences of the series all brought together in one installment. It's well paced, well acted and directed. The NPC support was even stepped up a bit, making Alex feel more like a companion rather than computer AI. Overall, it can't be beat for $15-20 and offers some great fun that won't eat up all your time. Expand
  58. ApoRomero
    Oct 24, 2006
    Good game but hard to download from net, I paid for it and got the licenced game why am suppose to wait hours to download from the net and wait for the play I said for get it and gave up playing, Ihad lot's of problems while loading, this is not playing or enjoying the game it is like suffering, working, forget it, I wanna have fun and downloading etc. is not fun at all.
  59. HectorS.
    May 31, 2006
    After what seems like an endless wait for new content, Valve present us with a big technical exercise and no substance. Perhaps they think we've all been playing Half Life 2 for the last 2 years (glassy eyed and dumb struck). Move on, and make a new game. I'm bored with this one. It's a decent enough add-on, but did we really have to wait this long? And pay again? If this After what seems like an endless wait for new content, Valve present us with a big technical exercise and no substance. Perhaps they think we've all been playing Half Life 2 for the last 2 years (glassy eyed and dumb struck). Move on, and make a new game. I'm bored with this one. It's a decent enough add-on, but did we really have to wait this long? And pay again? If this extra content were priced realistically, there would be less of a problem. Expand
  60. ChrisM.
    Jun 11, 2006
    Overall I'm a big fan of the Half-Life franchise and this expansion is no different.
  61. JukkaP.
    Jun 11, 2006
    Absolutely suberb 5-6 hours! Big screen cinema quality gameplay, extremely polished. Only minor gripes are relative shorthness and extremely linear progression, but considering the quality these are really minor gripes! Can't wait to see ep2.
  62. BillP.
    Jun 11, 2006
    The depths of personality and interaction added to Alyx and others is stunning. If you like to run'n'gun this is not the game for you. If you like to move through a real world appreciating all the set pieces Valve has laid out, and can enjoy participating in an environment and paying attention to characters and the things the say, you will have a blast.
  63. StephenV.
    Jun 11, 2006
    A wonderful continuation of the HL2 saga. Intense gameplay that leaves you salivating for episode 2. Rated.
  64. SeanK.
    Jun 11, 2006
    This game feels even more like the original half life than the second one. There are way more electricity effects and surprise effects the first was famous for. It is also way darker than the second game and that made it awesome.
  65. ReneMaes
    Jun 12, 2006
    I became a fan of Half Life2 the minute I played with it the first time only two months ago! Discovery of Half Life1 after V2 made me realize the progress made by the team at all levels in a few years.
    I'm am now under the deep shock to have prepaid for Episode One and found myself with an unplayable game as it does crash on a "cannot read memory" at every start attempt (V2 works just fine). Done all that is recommended by Valve on their FAQ with no avail. I don't see the Valve commercial service to a customer here, in saying a game user should flash his Bios and the like in order to play the sequel of a working previous version. Fact is: I paid, it does not work, I am a dissapointed customer and a frustrated player. I will say this everywhere until I get a decent reply to my mail (with system description attached) to Valve. At this moment no answer from them. Located in Bellevue it looks like some Microsoft habits leaked on Valve customer services.
    My 5 is not for the game (which I'm sure is again a masterpiece I can't judge today). It's for the lousy customer support. A FAQ is not sufficient guys!
    You need to address all customers issue. Or pay me back.
  66. DelaneyS.
    Jun 12, 2006
    What an awesome add-on! It is definately worth the $20 to buy this game. Even though it is noticably shorter than HL2, there is just as much, if not more, fun and surprises packed into this game. zombines.....hehehe, get it, zombines.
  67. JerB.
    Jun 12, 2006
    There's not much you can say about it. The lenght was a bit of a dissapointment, But not because it was so short (it was short) but because it is very consuming experience. Those 4-5 hours seem to pass very fast, simply because it's that much fun.
  68. JesseE.
    Jun 12, 2006
    Its a very good game, with lots of action. It didn't have any of the stuff that I really liked from HL2, along the coast or rides in the vehicles. Overall, too short for $20, maybe $10.
  69. MiguelM.
    Jun 12, 2006
    Excellent sequel from Half-life 2. The first chapters are very nice, but later sometimes you may experience Deja Vu if you already played Half-life 2. The graphics are stunning, and runs well on a lot of hardware. I thought it was boring at parts, but it caught me to the end, which came too soon like all people say. Comparing 17-chapter Half-life 2 with 2 very large vehicle scenes with Excellent sequel from Half-life 2. The first chapters are very nice, but later sometimes you may experience Deja Vu if you already played Half-life 2. The graphics are stunning, and runs well on a lot of hardware. I thought it was boring at parts, but it caught me to the end, which came too soon like all people say. Comparing 17-chapter Half-life 2 with 2 very large vehicle scenes with only 5-chapter Episode One lets you wanting a lot more. It is good to know that Episode Two comes into the road soon so the wait is little. Finally this game is quite enjoyable, I strongly recommend you buy it if you liked Half-life 2. A pretty good job from Valve, as always. Expand
  70. andyfinney
    Jun 13, 2006
    Ok, so it costs 23 dollars for us brits but still it's worth the money. It's 4 - 6 hours as other people have stated to complete. It's a triology. Just wait for the others to come out. Coulsd have been longer but they really have gone to town with the physics and graphics. Damn it's still good after 2 years.
  71. MichaelM.
    Jun 14, 2006
    I think this game definitely lives up to the awesome experience that was introduced with HL2. However, EP1 was ridiculously short. After having played EP1, I don't think I'll be spending $20 on another one of these little "episodes." A good price tag for this game would have been $9.99. That is the worst part about the game - it just leaves you feeling like you were ripped off. I think this game definitely lives up to the awesome experience that was introduced with HL2. However, EP1 was ridiculously short. After having played EP1, I don't think I'll be spending $20 on another one of these little "episodes." A good price tag for this game would have been $9.99. That is the worst part about the game - it just leaves you feeling like you were ripped off. No questions are answered besides, "Do they live?" and in retrospect it seems the plot wasn't planned as a continuation of the story of HL2 but rather as an extension, once Valve saw all the potential that continuing the series had. Expand
  72. AndyC.
    Jun 17, 2006
    Fabulous game. There's a lot of suspense and drama. Your computer needs to be quite fast to run it and there are some very slow load-up times, so it gets a nine.
  73. ArthurA.
    Jun 17, 2006
    It's a very good game, good script... but... we've already seen this kind of gameplay earlier: in HL2. New grafic features are nice, but we've already seen them in Lost Coast. And, especially, the game is EXTREMELY SHORT. But if you love HL2, you MUST purchase Episode One.
  74. HolyCrap
    Jun 18, 2006
    Very great game sure its a lil short, but its only $20 all you people are say what a waste of $20. so what a waste of an hour of work...yeah right all you people giving it 2s should shut up and go away HL2 Ep1 is a great game.
  75. ChrisG.
    Jun 19, 2006
    It was an amazingly good game to play with.I only give it a 9 because it was thrilling and full of action, but it had been so short. I fell that 20$ were way too much for it.And besides, I got very answers.
  76. TylerC.
    Jun 21, 2006
    I was astonished at how amazing this installment was. yes, it was twenty bucks but i thought it was still a pretty good value. if you want to play it again, i'd say download fakefactory's cinematic mod. very well worth it.
  77. JimK.
    Jun 23, 2006
    Great graphics, good AI, let down by short story and were still been treated like Alice, that is kept to the yellow brick road so we don
  78. Jay
    Jun 25, 2006
    I liked it, it was one of the hardest games I have played, I got though it in a little under 3 hours. Same type of ending as Half-Life 2....come on, give Gorden a break now and then, you guys are gonna throw him in knee deep next episode, so give him a break for once.
  79. VanL.
    Jun 29, 2006
    Awsome game with amazing gameplay and as always, wonderful graphics. Other people comment about how short the game was, well if they had a life and a brain they would realize that they were paying for a EXPANSION not a whole series.
  80. RogerV.
    Jul 16, 2006
    Extremely cool, but maybe too easy.
  81. MikeS.
    Jul 16, 2006
    Truly without a doubt the BEST Game I have ever played! The visiuals, action, thrill and fun that has been put into this game! HL2 is one of the greatest games yet to any PC Gamer, I highly recommend that you get this game!
  82. Flamz3d
    Jul 19, 2006
    Awesome game, brilliant concept.
  83. MatheusR.
    Jul 19, 2006
    this game is relly coll but is relly smart..the hl2 is 12 capters and this just have 4 including video of hl2 episode two.
  84. PatrickD.
    Jul 25, 2006
    Excellent storyline addition, which satiated while still saying absolutely nothing. The only real quip I have is the lack of length. Other than that, Valve really out-did themselves, coming up with unique and creative puzzles and scenarios.
  85. AndreyK.
    Jul 27, 2006
    The Best Ever!
  86. RickO.
    Jul 27, 2006
    It was enjoyable, but definently not what I expected.After beating the game so quickly i feel very dissappointed that there was barely anything new. It has an excellent story line, but that's it. Only recommended for people who are die hard fans of Half life.
  87. JamesV.
    Jul 28, 2006
    Great addon to the Half-Life 2 story, a bit short. It offers a diffrent kind of single player experience with teamwork. Very cool.
  88. DmitriyM
    Aug 12, 2006
    Great game. Awesome storyline and very quality execution. Nothing new besides the story however, I think I counted 1 new monster and that's about it. Still fun though. The only reason I give it a 7 is it is VERY short. It took me about 5 hours to beat, and I'm a very slow and curious player... saving and loading until I find the perfect way through an area. This game should have Great game. Awesome storyline and very quality execution. Nothing new besides the story however, I think I counted 1 new monster and that's about it. Still fun though. The only reason I give it a 7 is it is VERY short. It took me about 5 hours to beat, and I'm a very slow and curious player... saving and loading until I find the perfect way through an area. This game should have cost $10, not $20, if Valve keeps being this greedy, I'll have to think twice before buying the next episode. Expand
  89. JavierMorawski
    Aug 12, 2006
    Awsome game... it kind of does not make sense without playing the first Half-Life 2 but it was great!
  90. RandyM.
    Aug 23, 2006
    Astounding in almost every reason the first one was. But, with no new weaponry, and it's insanely short campaign, i'll have to deduct a point.
  91. RichV.
    Aug 26, 2006
    it was a very good game and i really enjoyed it, and i cant wait to see ep2, and Alex Vance is Hwat.
  92. HarryT.
    Sep 12, 2006
    A deeply immersing and addictive game, that features a solid story and amazing graphics. A must have for any gamer's collection.
  93. JasonS.
    Sep 16, 2006
    Awesome game. Very Fun with amazing graphics and sound effects.
  94. SergeyP.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Excellent game! Had played with plesure. Waiting for more.
  95. mxmx
    Sep 19, 2006
    Half-Life 2 Episode One is a must have game.
  96. MacS.
    Sep 23, 2006
    Great continuation, picks up right where the last one left off. New enemies and leaving wanting more.
  97. NickJ.
    Nov 11, 2007
    While this game is good, and it's graphics are nice, it isn't quite as addicting as regular HL2.
  98. TylerE.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Half-Life 2 was excellent and this is a wonderful -continuation- of the story. This is NOT an expansion pack, it's not Half-Life 3! Valve does more with their engine than any other company. A "next gen" game might have 8 billion triangles per character, but if it can't run on less than a $4k computer, who cares? HL2:E1 looks amazing, sounds amazing, plays amazing. The physics Half-Life 2 was excellent and this is a wonderful -continuation- of the story. This is NOT an expansion pack, it's not Half-Life 3! Valve does more with their engine than any other company. A "next gen" game might have 8 billion triangles per character, but if it can't run on less than a $4k computer, who cares? HL2:E1 looks amazing, sounds amazing, plays amazing. The physics puzzles, level designs, and npc characters are wonderfully constructed and fun to interact with. Expand
  99. JoeM.
    Nov 26, 2007
    This game provides no new environments or story. you could easily skip from hl2 to hl2e2 and not miss a beat, While what is here is done well it is just too short and doesnt help a game with an already patchy story. The gfx and sound both look good, but nothing new over hl2, The AI is much improved and reacts very well to various challenges. Overall this is a mediocre filler game. Pros: This game provides no new environments or story. you could easily skip from hl2 to hl2e2 and not miss a beat, While what is here is done well it is just too short and doesnt help a game with an already patchy story. The gfx and sound both look good, but nothing new over hl2, The AI is much improved and reacts very well to various challenges. Overall this is a mediocre filler game. Pros: Gameplay Gfx and sound AI Cons: Story Length Repetitiveness. Expand
  100. StewartA.
    Oct 22, 2007
    This game was up to the usual Half Life standard on gameplay and graphics although I feel that it was a little short and the storyline could have been a little better, although all in all a very good game!

1. Just like the original Half-Life 2, Episode One keeps the player entertained almost the entire time through perfect pacing and by being inventive, surprising and getting the basics absolutely right. It's a wonderful advert for the excitement that true episodic content can generate when approached the right way.
  2. Episode One is a memorable romp through the Half-Life universe, with gameplay that's even more satisfying than that of "Half-Life 2." The only downside is that, due to its episodic nature, it's over far too soon.
    A brief, stylistically claustrophobic experience whose polish and personality manage to keep things moving.