Half-Life 2: Episode One PC

8.6

1. DavidG.
    Oct 4, 2006
    Absolutely good expansion.. but the shortness was bad.. but still I give it a 10.
  2. NicolasR.
    Jun 3, 2006
    Brilliant game- don't worry about its length. It's definitly short but sweet!
  3. AnonymousMC
    Very good expansion.
  4. AdamS.
    Jun 3, 2006
    The essence of all the good things from HL2!
  5. ???
    Very good.
  6. ChristopherB.
    Jul 10, 2006
    absolutely incredible the hospital and the elevator battle in particularly good... the hospital in particular was reminicent of silent hill the scares were much more artfufully done... bravo!
  7. VitRa
    Jul 28, 2006
    My Regardes to HF team. It is the most wanted game. I thought its not worth it cause i played HF2 I was wrong, wery wrong, i can say that EP 1 is even better). But to short), it all ends very fast and i felt really apset. I think we should wait even HF 3 with most live Char we have ever seen)It Can Be Freeman, but i suppose his name will be not Gordon). (You should teach him to talk, and My Regardes to HF team. It is the most wanted game. I thought its not worth it cause i played HF2 I was wrong, wery wrong, i can say that EP 1 is even better). But to short), it all ends very fast and i felt really apset. I think we should wait even HF 3 with most live Char we have ever seen)It Can Be Freeman, but i suppose his name will be not Gordon). (You should teach him to talk, and to be careful with objects i think) Waiting for Ep2 and saing bravo with my cap off. Expand
  8. MichaelD.
    Oct 6, 2006
    It's very good.
  9. KennyJ.
    Jun 1, 2006
    Perfect game in all aspects. It is basically a continuation of HL2, with some graphical and AI improvements. Taking into consideration that HL2 was astounding, and that EP1 just gives us an improved version of what we already liked, this game is easily a 10/10.
  10. Gerard
    Jun 1, 2006
    It's an extension of Half-Life2 with only one mod that I could think of ( Combine rifle seems more efficient ) Very well made episodic content. Although smaller than I'd like, I have to force myself to remember its not a full game. Although it kind of sucks that this episode raises more questions than it answers, when everything is said and done, im sure we'll all wish it It's an extension of Half-Life2 with only one mod that I could think of ( Combine rifle seems more efficient ) Very well made episodic content. Although smaller than I'd like, I have to force myself to remember its not a full game. Although it kind of sucks that this episode raises more questions than it answers, when everything is said and done, im sure we'll all wish it would have stretched out for another episode or 2. The AI is very well developed, especially Alex. She's not just some tag-along, she does her fair share of work. My only 2 gripes are that they haven't introduced a new gun along the lines of an m4a1-type, but they did partly make up for it with a more 'solid' feeling Combine Assult Rifle. The recoil doesn't kick in as fast, making the gun a lot more functional. Also, I wish Valve would make 'nade-cooking' possible on the Single player HL2 like it does in HL2:DM. Some things I'd like to see from the new episode ( since I know Valve reads these metascores since they direct people to this site directly from steam ): 1)a combine m4a1 2)nade cooking in single player Expand
  11. Luke
    Jun 1, 2006
    The game was great it was cool to hear those poison head crabs they always freak me out. Great game and i hope they make another instalment soon.
  12. DenisG.
    Jun 19, 2006
    Well, I think Episode One is a game of "must have" type. Very good grafics (even now) , wonderful sound and brilliand work of voice-actors. Gameplay and AI - 10/10.
  13. PatB.
    Jun 2, 2006
    A perfect example of what episodic gaming should be. After the release of the first episode of SIN on steam, I was slightly concerned that Half Life 2: Episode 1 would not be able to showcase all the new visual upgrades, incredible storytelling, and panic-inducing gameplay I expected from the Half-Life universe. I am more than excited to say, this game has surpassed all of my hopes and A perfect example of what episodic gaming should be. After the release of the first episode of SIN on steam, I was slightly concerned that Half Life 2: Episode 1 would not be able to showcase all the new visual upgrades, incredible storytelling, and panic-inducing gameplay I expected from the Half-Life universe. I am more than excited to say, this game has surpassed all of my hopes and dreams. The Storyline is a perfect continuation from the rather enigmatic ending of Half-Life 2, and character development in games has been redefined once again. Sadly, due to its short length, not much of an appearance is made by the all-powerful G-Man, an element I was much anticipating after reading the pre-release hype. The graphic enhancements to the source engine are visually breath-taking. After playing through the game once more with the commentary enabled, I am much more impressed with the skill and art of Episode 1's creation. though I must say, the audio commentary enjoys placing heavy reliance on the term "vista." Not that I can complain, for these vistas are truly stunning. Gameplay is on-par with what should be expected from the Half-Life 2 universe. New tweaks, and npc animations, provide visual flair and definite moments of pure player shock. The first time I saw, in-game, Alyx deftly crack a zombie in the side wih her knee, pull back, and place a three-round burst into it's head-crabbed melon, I was amazed. Half-Life 2: episode 1 is well worth a buy at twenty dollars, and as far as I am concerned,it is the future of gaming. Expand
  14. David
    Jun 3, 2006
    HL2 was GREAT, i think all players who played the game and are a fan wanted to spend more time with Alyx, and now you can! The graphics, storyline and AI in EP2 are FANTASTIC! I'ts certainly worth the 20$. EP1 leaves you aching for EP2 and HL3 and that's why it doesn't matter if the game only takes 4-6 h to finish it, you had so much fun playing it and wanting to know what HL2 was GREAT, i think all players who played the game and are a fan wanted to spend more time with Alyx, and now you can! The graphics, storyline and AI in EP2 are FANTASTIC! I'ts certainly worth the 20$. EP1 leaves you aching for EP2 and HL3 and that's why it doesn't matter if the game only takes 4-6 h to finish it, you had so much fun playing it and wanting to know what happens next that you can't wait for EP2 to be realeased . Ignore the people who rate this game below 7 or 8. I pitty them because obviously they have no taste and are just trying to make this game look bad. HL2:Episode One is a perfect example of how pc games should be like. It always keeps you in suspense and u never get tired of it. Great job Valve!!!! Expand
  15. JoelS.
    Jun 3, 2006
    I'd have paid $100 dollars for this even if it had been half as long and had done nothing to advance the overall Half-Life storyline.
  16. JanF.(CZE)
    Jun 3, 2006
    This game is NICE! And when you get all episodes and Half Life 2 so its over 26 hours of play time. I think all Half life is genial idea,and whos saing NO,isnt right player! I think a name-Gordon Freeman and Alyx will be never forgot,dont you think too? :)
  17. JMan_1_2
    Jun 3, 2006
    Damn, this was a good game. A bit short though. Lots of trial & error.
  18. PYROFLAME
    Jun 30, 2006
    Valve did it again! A expantion pack to HL2 was released and it IS GOOD!!! The graphix use the most out of your video card. You will enjoy the gameplay from the beginning to end. If you truly like gaming, this is the perfact game. The only problem is that the game is too short, but what else do u expect from a game thats $20.
    P.S. YES the AI of the enemies are good, you WILL get a challenge.
  19. DaveM.
    Jun 4, 2006
    Episode One is an amazing game for the time it lasts. It is short, though, so try and find it for $15 or less and you will feel much better about the purchase. Steam delivery is extremely convenient, though, so the extra $5 could be considered same day shipping cost! Regardless, if you enjoyed Half-Life 2, Episode One is a must play.
  20. ArmageddonPotato
    Jun 5, 2006
    An increidble game. With more replayability because you can play it again after you beat it with the commentary on, and you'll love it.
  21. AntalB.
    Jun 5, 2006
    Valve does not fail to make me remember why I started gaming in the first place. I've been playing shooters since Wolfenstein 3D (actually, since catacombs, if anyone remembers that game) and everytime I think I've seen it all, Valve makes me feel like a kid at christmas all over again.
  22. Snowwhite
    Jun 5, 2006
    This game is worth each of the 20 bucks I spent: a lot of supension letting you totally forget your environment ("ok I´m gonna quit the game, just let me take a look behind the next corner... and the next... and the next"), many answers to the questions left open by HL², and some new questions making me count the days to the release of episode 2.
  23. ZagorTenej
    Jun 6, 2006
    Excellent!!!I I rated it 10 for the gameplay, graphics, story and character development. I couldn't take points off for wanting to play Episode 2 right away. After all the episodes come out, it'll be great to play them all one after the other.
  24. Imi?N.
    Fenomanal grafix, story and Alyx :*
  25. BenHehir
    Jun 6, 2006
    Corker! ...all the aspects that made HL and HL2 exceptional games plus some extra eye candy thrown in. I do agree that the episode concept is kinda new and weird but hey, it's better than waiting 6 years for the next release. Play this game, you won't regret it.
  26. Tomasz
    Owned ^^
  27. TimR.
    Jun 8, 2006
    A stunningly produced and graphically brilliant extension to Half Life 2. The episodic roll out is a frustrating as game play is a little too short, but this is a wonderful game to play and only I only wish the nest episode was here tomorrow.
  28. Andy
    Jun 8, 2006
    Great! Not too short if you pay attention to detail and dont rush through every map.
  29. JonC.
    Jun 8, 2006
    I love Half-Life 2: Episode One so much! its the best game out there in my book!
  30. ViktorioElHakim
    Jun 8, 2006
    As i started the game,i expected to be the same in animations,terrain and characteristics.But when i saw Alyx,Dog,The Combine soldiers and everything else i was astounded,altho it took me 2h30min+ to play the whole episode wich proves that it's not that big.Everything is much more realistic,wich proves that as half life progresses it starts to imitate
    more and more the attributes of
    more and more the attributes of the real world.One of best effects i ever seen are looked here like the Citadel Core or the Citadel explosion.
  31. MarkM.
    Jun 9, 2006
    Absolutely worth the wait...it would be nice to have it last a little longer, but if Valve keeps it's word and puts out another episode every 5 or 6 months, I'll live with a shorter game. Don't let us down Valve!
  32. BillN.
    Jun 9, 2006
    Alot of people complain about the price point of this game, but the way I look at it is this. Normal games offer about 20 hrs of play for $80.00. Eposide 1 offers 5 hrs for $20.00. The way i figure it on par with other games for pricing, plus this is just a plain great game.
  33. M.M.
    Jul 2, 2006
    Best game ever!
  34. XCoder
    Jul 9, 2006
    The only game makes me non-sleeping before job.
  35. DevinH.
    Aug 30, 2006
    Amazing expansion for an amazing game.
  36. AdamD.
    Sep 9, 2006
    Awesome!
  37. LucasA.
    May 30, 2007
    This game is absolute elegance in graphs, sound, musics, gameplay, history of development, etc.. much good!
  38. PutinVladimir
    May 6, 2007
    COOL!!!
  39. BigJ.
    Jan 30, 2008
    Awesome expansion! Even though all the game play elemetns are the same, it was almost like playing another game. The reuse and modification of the train warehouse near the end was fantastic! So many enemies coming from so many different places. Phew! Time for bed.
  40. DevonS.
    Jul 19, 2008
    Unlike a lot of people out there, I thought this game was on par with Half-life 2. It had witty points, it was a shorter game (but it was supposed to be), and it delivered what was expected with much of the same as we've come to expect.
  41. HalfAdicted
    Aug 9, 2008
    WOW! Great game, I heard the there is the final episode just about to be released, that is the episode 3 and Valve is also preparing the next game: Half Life 3, this one will include awsome graphics, so you better update your machine for a chance to play this game.
  42. CHarlieD
    Aug 31, 2009
    As with all of the Half-Life 2 games I think they are all amazing!! The storyline is brilliant, the graphics are fab and in every HL2 game something new is added: Hunters and Friendly Rollermines in this case.
  43. EvanE.
    Oct 12, 2006
    I don't know why people are downvoting this, but I love the small bits of great taste of game. I'd rather get small decadent bites rather than eating the best cake in the world in one setting, you know what I mean? Great graphics, great gaming, great acting, Valve has done it again.
  44. Padd
    Dec 2, 2006
    Subperb! Exactly the stuff we've come to expect from valve, yet another winner.
  45. ToneGIO
    Oct 4, 2006
    Can't wait for the next installment.
  46. PeterU.
    May 12, 2006
    They have worked 6 yrs to create HL2. I allready feared that is would take another 6 yrs to make new missions or HL3. But just 1 yr later.. New missions !! and more comming on next episode !
  47. DennisS.
    May 19, 2006
    Greatest chapter EVER!
  48. JerF.
    Jun 1, 2006
    Incredible game, took almost 7 hours, but I played on hardest setting and took my time to enjoy the scenery. Only thing I can ask for is...MORE!!!
  49. DanielC.
    Jun 1, 2006
    HL2:EP1 is a step forward in FPS single player games. Both technologically and in level design, the main features that stand out are the commentary tracks (seen in lost coast) which explain in detail and the development process of the games. This gives the players a new insight to the game and all the stuff you didn't get to see that got cut out. If you find these annoying you can HL2:EP1 is a step forward in FPS single player games. Both technologically and in level design, the main features that stand out are the commentary tracks (seen in lost coast) which explain in detail and the development process of the games. This gives the players a new insight to the game and all the stuff you didn't get to see that got cut out. If you find these annoying you can always turn them off. This episode focuses on alyx and unlike every other FPS you've every played (including HL2) they have explored her character in depth, so you don't get the feeling she is just there to shoot stuff. Lighting/AI/Objects and everything else have, as you would expect, been improved and are the most sophisticated to date. The story is continued and there is even more shooting than previously between your enemies, watching them battling it out is just as fun as taking part yourself. Other things to watch out for is the use of the flash light in places too dark to see and some new moves alyx has up her sleeve (or under her boot). The short list of negatives in the game are, it takes ages to get your crowbar and some aspects of the maps are a little repetitive. But before you can become bored the scene changes and your faced with yet another challenge in the fight for survival. Valve have done it again and taken Half-Life 2: Episode 1 up another level and ensured their dominance as leaders in First Person Shooters. Expand
  50. BrianA.
    Jun 1, 2006
    Absolutely wonderful! Graphics, pacing, price...It's all here!
  51. FunkDr.Spot
    Jun 1, 2006
    Great game for the $$$. Our ( all gamers ) expectations of full games might get the best of us and lower the score because of it, but understand its an episodic game.
  52. ChrisJ.
    Jun 1, 2006
    Possibly the most fun I have ever had in a first person shooter. Though somewhat short, I found this game extremely impressive.
  53. ChrisW.
    Jun 1, 2006
    The game is quite short (about 5 hours), but that is the only complaint. The amazing graphics, physics, and story of Half Life 2 is improved in Episode 1 and is just breathtaking. Definite recommendation.
  54. SphelxLizard
    Jun 1, 2006
    People will complain it's short; but it's an Episode. It's one portion of a whole thing. And it's damn fantastic, the Source engine has stepped up a notch, and with a high-level DX9 card you'll be forever hitting F5 to capture it in all it's glowing, specular, HDRI glory. The emphasis on puzzle solving has stepped up a few notches and extends the gameplay People will complain it's short; but it's an Episode. It's one portion of a whole thing. And it's damn fantastic, the Source engine has stepped up a notch, and with a high-level DX9 card you'll be forever hitting F5 to capture it in all it's glowing, specular, HDRI glory. The emphasis on puzzle solving has stepped up a few notches and extends the gameplay through careful manipulation of the physical environment we've known and come to love from the original HL2. Expand
  55. AMAC
    Jun 10, 2006
    great game not worth 20 should be free. torrent it save the trouble. also the 44 review made me laugh because it was actually 4.4 out of 5 not 44 probabily dragging the score down but oh well.
  56. ColinW.
    Jun 14, 2006
    In no previous game have I played has so much obvious effort been put in to ensuring an NPC is eventually valued. In this case it is the character of Alyx. Once you have played through this episode you actually care for this NPC and it would actually bring about feelings of vengance and aggression if she were to be killed. In no other game have so many gamers become attatched to an NPC
  57. ???
    Jun 18, 2006
    Very good.
  58. KeithM.
    Jun 19, 2006
    it is more fun than the half-life 2 we had to wait for 6 years and in Episode One ALyx follows u all the way its more fun like this than having to figure the game out on your own, though some people might find it more thrilling and exciting.
  59. MarkJ.
    Jun 2, 2006
    Awesome game, great graphics, great physics puzzles.
  60. MatthewR.
    Jun 2, 2006
    I'm speechless. Absolutely fantastic.
  61. Hawke
    Jun 2, 2006
    I usually would give a "Perfect" game a 9, but I could not do that this time around. Considering that this is really just a whole new Half-Life game (not an expansion) based on the same engine (SOURCE) as Half-Life 2, and while still mainting a certain level of quality in it's in-game content, I chose to give it the credit a "non-sequel-non-expansion-pack type of expansion" game I usually would give a "Perfect" game a 9, but I could not do that this time around. Considering that this is really just a whole new Half-Life game (not an expansion) based on the same engine (SOURCE) as Half-Life 2, and while still mainting a certain level of quality in it's in-game content, I chose to give it the credit a "non-sequel-non-expansion-pack type of expansion" game deserves. Episode One plays so well into the Half-Life universe (more specifically Half-Life 2), that one would wonder why Half-Life 2 was not named "Half-Life 2: Part One" and the Episodes named "Part Two". Episode One really shows off the dynamics of the Combine and I found myself quite impressed at just how important the Citadel was to C17's existence... It wasn't just electricity that that thing was supplying to C17. Gameplay wise, Episode One feels so much more "Real" than the first Half-Life 2, simply because everything finally comes together in the story/gameplay aspect, while adding a little something of its own. It's far more dynamic than it's predecessor. AI is more dynamic and coincides whats going on at every moment in the game. It really adds a whole new level of quality to Half-Life 2. Technically speaking the game is hopped up on steroids compared to the first Half-Life 2. Everything runs far smoother than ever before especially if your Hardware supports some of the newer features like HDR, which realy gives Half-Life 2 the final touch that seems to have been in mind from the very beginning, but lacking in "Half-Life 2". All in all I would consider the game engine finally "Finished", but you know there will be more additions to come. You'll just have to play it to learn more about the story, but needless to say, the game leaves you a similar feeling that Half-Life 2 did, only more understand and in a bit shorter amount of time. Imagine compacting "Half-Life 2" into a third/half the amount of time without changing a thing. It kindof feels like that, defying the laws of physics. Expand
  62. AustinK.
    Jun 2, 2006
    Extremely entertaining and very fun to play. Although a little to short for my taste, I could have bought a $50 game that still wouldn't have amounted to what I experienced during play. A very good game indeed and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lets just hope episode 2 has a few more hours of play. Not that I would mind either way.
  63. Rulero
    Jun 2, 2006
    half-life is one of the best shooter series arround altough i miss the gameplay of half-life 1 sometimes, and what has happend to black mesa? il hope to see something about that in later episodes besides that HL 2 ep 1 is just great, i enjoyed it evry minute.
  64. JRZ
    Jun 2, 2006
    Loved it all physics, graphics, and overall the way the storyline is going! Only prob is a little too short for my $17(bought during preload). on all other notes SUPURB!
    Jun 24, 2006
    Half Life 2 was a masterpiece of game design, there is absolutely no question about that. The source engine, even two years later, is still one of the best game engines available. And havoc physics is unbelievable. In Episode One, they added a new facial animation engine and a new lighting engine, which made the game even more amazing. And the amount of detail that was put into the Half Life 2 was a masterpiece of game design, there is absolutely no question about that. The source engine, even two years later, is still one of the best game engines available. And havoc physics is unbelievable. In Episode One, they added a new facial animation engine and a new lighting engine, which made the game even more amazing. And the amount of detail that was put into the different maps was amazing! While it is true that there was not very much room for you to go on your own path through the game (for example, as there was with Far Cry), that's what goes with the territory when you make an episodic game. Overall, valve made another masterpiece. Expand
  66. MattB.
    Jun 2, 2006
    not only the best expansion ive ever played, but the THE BEST GAME ive ever played absolutely brilliant, saying its short is no excuse to rate it lower, its value for money is incredible, played it through 3 times already.
  67. AaronS.
    Jun 2, 2006
    An amazing game, easily one of my favorites. Playing HL2 I was disappointed that it was not more innovative and fun, but episode 1 completely makes up for and surpasses HL2. The game play is inspired and additively fun, the story telling is great, and havening a AI partner throughout the whole game is amazing. As far as length it is easily worth the 20 bucks and leaves you salivating at An amazing game, easily one of my favorites. Playing HL2 I was disappointed that it was not more innovative and fun, but episode 1 completely makes up for and surpasses HL2. The game play is inspired and additively fun, the story telling is great, and havening a AI partner throughout the whole game is amazing. As far as length it is easily worth the 20 bucks and leaves you salivating at the episode 2 trailer. My only complaint is that there are no new guns, and only one new enemy, but this dose not detract from the game, its just nice to get new stuff in expansions. Episode 1 is a piece of FPS art and a must buy. Expand
  68. AlexL.
    Jun 2, 2006
    Best Game I Have Ever Played! I can't wait for more of the half life storie to be unfolded!
  69. Alex
    Jun 3, 2006
    Game is really fun to play. In someways I would say it is better that HL2 in the fact that it gets on witht the game instantly and has action throughout it for about 5 hours. It is seriously fun to play and has little challenges throughout to make the player think and not feel like a robot. People complaining about price are stupid, £15 for 5 hours (What can you really buy with Game is really fun to play. In someways I would say it is better that HL2 in the fact that it gets on witht the game instantly and has action throughout it for about 5 hours. It is seriously fun to play and has little challenges throughout to make the player think and not feel like a robot. People complaining about price are stupid, £15 for 5 hours (What can you really buy with £15), Im happy atleast we didnt have to wait like 7 years! Also about how it took like 3 years to make this episode, well it didnt because they have also been working on EP2 at the same time so that the episodes come out very soon after each other. I say great game I just want some more! Expand
  70. ValentinT.
    Jun 3, 2006
    Story Pros: 1. The continuation of the Half-Life story, universe, characters and gman. 2. I love how they answer just enough to keep us satisfied but open up so much more for Episode 2 and 3. 3. Alyx and the other characters reappearing was great, but more so Alyx/D0G. GFX: Pros: 1. Source is looking good, very good. 2. The new effects added by Valve are insane. Especially the core. 3. Story Pros: 1. The continuation of the Half-Life story, universe, characters and gman. 2. I love how they answer just enough to keep us satisfied but open up so much more for Episode 2 and 3. 3. Alyx and the other characters reappearing was great, but more so Alyx/D0G. GFX: Pros: 1. Source is looking good, very good. 2. The new effects added by Valve are insane. Especially the core. 3. Shader improvements (Bumpmaps etc) 4. Texture improvements (Alyx/D0G detail etc) 5. HDR is holy shit implemented very well. 6. Hero Lighting (Really adds to Alyx) Neutral: 1. Only Alyx and D0G had major texture/shader/model improvements. Most of the other things still had improvements but no where near Alyx/D0G. Cons: 1. Shadow bug still there (i hope Valve fixes this, i know it must be a hard bug to crack if they haven't fixed it yet, so all we can do is wish them luck) 2. Whats with the branches of some tress. (They are like that in HL2/CSS) They look horrible. Gameplay: Pros: 1. The puzzles where great as always 2. Nice return of all the weapons 3. Seemed like the AI was better and harder 4. Alyx being with you the whole game BIG PLUS! Length: Neutral: 1. Took me 4/half hours to beat. Everyone knew this was the length so nothing to complain about. I will always want more tho. Cant wait for Episode 2!!! Plus the commentary is going to give me another 4 or so hours or play time. Ending: Pros: 1. WOW. All i can say is WOW! Neutral: 1. It didn't look as destructive as F.E.A.R's ending but it had its own tone and feel to it. I wouldn't say ether was better or worse just they had a different target. Music: Pros: 1. Amazing music Neutral: 1. More more more more more more more!!!!!!!! Commentary Truly great feature! A lot of work was put into it and it was very fun and cool listening to the tracks. Getting inside the heads of the Half-Life Creators. Description: Valve has done it again! All i can feel now is how much MORE they will do, how much further they will take it. I mean after seeing the Episode 2 teaser i seriously went crazy. At the start of Episode 1 i seriously shed a tear, couldn't believe i was playing a Half-Life game again. It reminded me of the wait for Half-Life 2 and i experienced more Half-Life with a great community once again! Valve you have done it again! The improvements to the graphics, gameplay, and general Half-Life universe were vast and plenty. Right now I'm thinking of the new story and GFX updates to come. The new games Valve is planning. Everything Valve!!! I hope valve makes a lot in return so we keep seeing these updates and this greatness from them. Major support to you Valve and thank you for such great games! 97% for my Final score and i cant wait for Episode 2! Expand
  71. MatriX_CZ
    Jun 4, 2006
    Souhlasím s Honzou, haha.
    Mno, HL2EP1 is the first wave of continuing HL story and I think episodic format is good turn. Players won't have to wait so long for next episode and VALVe will dynamicaly improve game/s based on players' ideas.
    Yes, 20$ is enought, but in compairing with selling cost [distributor's -> EA <- part] it isn't bad.
  72. MatthewJ.
    Jun 4, 2006
    Incredible game, although short, and full of excitement. Finally we get more interaction with Alyx and the environment.
  73. RyanC.
    Jun 4, 2006
    This is a superb example of the perfect shooter experience. With superior graphics, gameplay, and interation this masterpiece raises the bar more than the original.
  74. JonQ.
    Excellent continuation.
  75. KevinP.
    Jun 5, 2006
    $18 very well spent, providing one with a thoroughly enjoyable evening in City 17. Like a good cinematic franchise, we're reintroduced to memorable characters, dynamic set-piece action sequences, and pacing that rivals any other FPS game available. If I'm willing to pay $8-$10 for 90 minutes of thrills, chills, and laughter in a theater, you better believe Valve delivers on this $18 very well spent, providing one with a thoroughly enjoyable evening in City 17. Like a good cinematic franchise, we're reintroduced to memorable characters, dynamic set-piece action sequences, and pacing that rivals any other FPS game available. If I'm willing to pay $8-$10 for 90 minutes of thrills, chills, and laughter in a theater, you better believe Valve delivers on this 4-hour adventure. When held up against the other episodic Steam release, SiN:Episodes, it is easy to see why Valve is creating the best first-person computer entertainment for your money. Expand
  76. AlexH.
    Jun 5, 2006
    This is a great game with the best physics engines and also the best graphics around this game tells you the aftermath of the citadel explosion and its exciting and intense.
  77. JerryM
    Jun 5, 2006
    Excellent first installment, can't wait for Episode 2 already!
  78. KyleM.
    Jun 6, 2006
    The Good: Incredible level design, enemy and friendly AI, action sequences, physics, story, animation, graphics, and character interaction. Valve has managed to once again create a very believable world, one that feels truly alive. The Bad: Although it is supposed to be short, as it is an episode, I still felt it was missing perhaps a half-hour to and hour of gameplay. This is probably The Good: Incredible level design, enemy and friendly AI, action sequences, physics, story, animation, graphics, and character interaction. Valve has managed to once again create a very believable world, one that feels truly alive. The Bad: Although it is supposed to be short, as it is an episode, I still felt it was missing perhaps a half-hour to and hour of gameplay. This is probably due to its other flaw: it takes about that same amount of time to truly hit its stride: the first hour or so feels like a non-interactive movie rather than a breathing world. But once it picks up the pace (in chapter two, Low-Life), it surpasses Half-Life 2 itself in gamplay mechanics. Kudos to valve for not following the trends of other expansion packs, which have mainly been a way to throw some new weapons and a level or two at the player. This, on the other hand, feels like a genuniely thought-out extension of the story of Half-Life. Left me craving for episode two. Expand
  79. JamesP.
    Jun 6, 2006
    I wanted to give it a 9.5 but a 10 works. Excellent character interaction. My first time though, I was spooked/surprised at least a dozen times and had some great fun. It's almost as good the second time through.
  80. JustasV.
    Jun 6, 2006
    Awesome effects, gameplay and puzzles, though a bit short. Still it is worth buying.
  81. JonathanT.
    Jun 7, 2006
    Valve has shown pure quality throughout the whole game. Excellent gamplay, well thought out and the subtle improvements in the SourceEngine are used tastefully and with excellent effect. A good sign of things to come!
  82. PatrickB.
    Jun 7, 2006
    This was more than I expected. I real joy to play. Challenging and beautifully created. The subterrainian levels with the flickering lights blew me away.
  83. Tech
    Jun 7, 2006
    Game was just awesome, could be a little longer. Great to see that alyx having sense of humor.
  84. PrestonJ.
    Jun 7, 2006
    Yes... it is short... and yes you could have got it for 12.99 at Fry's instead of 19.95 off if steam, but the game is so well designed with the best graphics engine out, amazing action sequences, effective pacing and puzzles, and a great lead in to the following episodes that its hard not want to listen to the commentary and play it over. 10 for 10 because it does what it was meant to do.
  85. VassiliosP.
    Jun 8, 2006
    This game is superb !! It is the most entertaining game i have ever played after San Andreas. Of course i've played HL2 before, but this .... Give the 20 bucks and get it folks... You won't be disappointed !!
  86. KevinA.
    Jun 9, 2006
    I Think the game is so awesome, mostly because that the gameplay is so well, and ofcourse that you are together with alyx (most of the time) wich is pretty good, sience she can shoot stuff aswell ^^. Also, i like the fact that one of the first weapons is the upgraded gravity gun.. now THAT is a good weapon. The only.. Absolutely only negative thing i can say about it, is that its too I Think the game is so awesome, mostly because that the gameplay is so well, and ofcourse that you are together with alyx (most of the time) wich is pretty good, sience she can shoot stuff aswell ^^. Also, i like the fact that one of the first weapons is the upgraded gravity gun.. now THAT is a good weapon. The only.. Absolutely only negative thing i can say about it, is that its too short... anywho... Looking forward for Episode 2 ;) Expand
  87. AndersT.
    Jul 14, 2006
    2 words: Great game!
  88. JayceM.
    Jul 18, 2006
    The game is absolutely fantastic...not only did steam/valve just make another addition, they improved the story, graphics, AI, and everything. Truly, the game is a site to behold...if you don't mind length that is, as it is a bit short. But other than that, a perfect game worth getting.
  89. JeffF.
    Jul 6, 2006
    Incredibly entertaining, Alyx is a very intriguing and likable character.
  90. Mr.ddee
    Aug 3, 2006
    ->HL1 = the bests game ever made ->HL2 = the bests game ever made ->HL2ep1 = the bests game ever made.
  91. RichardG.
    Aug 9, 2006
    This was an excellent guardian of the legacy of Half Life. The new graphics engine did make a huge different. New momentums even though it is hard to keep up the blazing thrills discovered in the previous versions.
  92. AlcinoP.
    Sep 1, 2006
    amazing continuation for the best game ever. lovely!
  93. DrannonB.
    Sep 27, 2006
    This game was killer. Absolutly loved it!
  94. BrianM.
    Sep 29, 2006
    A great sequel to a great game! Well done Valve, and I look forward to Chapter Two. Perhaps make Ch. 2 a bit longer, like about 10 more hours worth of gameplay. That'd be perfect!
  95. JamesZ.
    Sep 4, 2006
    Considering what this is: an expansion pack for Half Life 2, this is one of the greatest addons ever. The story is interesting, but allmost TOO fast paced. To compare it to prior Half Life add ons, this was superior (Length of play-wise) to Blue Shift, but not as long as Opposing Force. It's an excellent story with alot of "Jump Factor" Alyx's npc may just be the greatest NPC Considering what this is: an expansion pack for Half Life 2, this is one of the greatest addons ever. The story is interesting, but allmost TOO fast paced. To compare it to prior Half Life add ons, this was superior (Length of play-wise) to Blue Shift, but not as long as Opposing Force. It's an excellent story with alot of "Jump Factor" Alyx's npc may just be the greatest NPC EVer in the history of FPS games. She's the first NPC I've ever seen that can handle herself as well as the "hero" himself (It helps that she seems to be invulnerable, and knows when to duck Snipers.) Now on to the business stuff: (hey, I love the game, but I am a lawyer.) As a Gamer I ALWAYS want more gameplay, but I am satisfied with this length for the money. (But just a Note: Any more cash would require more gameplay / time.) Expand
  96. MalteB.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Awesome new episode in the Half-Life universe, great gameplay, very recommended!
  97. AlexanderZ.
    Jan 17, 2007
    Wow! Really cool. But it's so short! I need more! Give me MORE!
  98. ZokkiI.
    Jan 2, 2007
    As good as the original Half-Life 2, but with better interaction and story continuing.
  99. TobiasS.
    Jan 8, 2007
    A nice looking game, with the best gameplay I have ever seen. Thumbs up for valve and a thank you for this nice game.
  100. LukeK.
    Oct 9, 2007
    The Half-life series will always hold a special place in my heart. With stunning graphics and game play that blows your mind. The follow up support and needs of peformance side of the game really show through and is the best game for budget gamers looking for the extra bang for their buck.

1. Just like the original Half-Life 2, Episode One keeps the player entertained almost the entire time through perfect pacing and by being inventive, surprising and getting the basics absolutely right. It's a wonderful advert for the excitement that true episodic content can generate when approached the right way.
  2. Episode One is a memorable romp through the Half-Life universe, with gameplay that's even more satisfying than that of "Half-Life 2." The only downside is that, due to its episodic nature, it's over far too soon.
    A brief, stylistically claustrophobic experience whose polish and personality manage to keep things moving.