9.2

1. Sep 29, 2011
    The gameplay and story pick up in this one, but carrying that stupid gnome through the whole game is a bugger. Still, it's a good game in its own merit, with great level design as usual. Worth playing even if you haven't played HL2 or Ep. 1.
  2. MichaelR.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Great game! But too short for money!
  3. KarelP.
    Mar 6, 2008
    Has the experience for gamers to play.
  4. SamV.
    Jun 6, 2008
    Good game, nice graphics, only... it's a litle bit short for it's price. Perhaps, give less attention to the graphic layout (because it's very good now!) and give more attention to make the game longer. Looking forward for episode 3.
  5. Bart
    Nov 1, 2007
    TOO SHORT!!! It is good as the game play is concerned but it ends before it really starts. When I finished the forest battle I expected it to continue, instead I saw a lame ending. Come on Valve, make the third one last as long as original HL2, you owe your fans at least that much...
  6. SusanD.
    Oct 14, 2007
    Only single player campaign played. This game series is overrated by today's standards. First two or three chapters were okay and fun to play but chapters four through seven where sort of lumped together. I don't believe there was anything to do in the last chapter but move Gordon and watch the ending. Shame. I suspect the developers lost interest half way through and just wound Only single player campaign played. This game series is overrated by today's standards. First two or three chapters were okay and fun to play but chapters four through seven where sort of lumped together. I don't believe there was anything to do in the last chapter but move Gordon and watch the ending. Shame. I suspect the developers lost interest half way through and just wound it up as fast as they could. And now we have the final third part to look forward too--boring. Expand
  7. JustinM.
    Oct 27, 2007
    Although an acceptable foray in its own right, all the set pieces and puzzles have been done previously, it is still completely linear and just adding time pressure to the battles left me unimpressed. The only piece of story that really made me want more is delivered near the end, which highlighted the vacuum of the previous 4 hours gameplay. It is under 5 hours playtime, including plenty Although an acceptable foray in its own right, all the set pieces and puzzles have been done previously, it is still completely linear and just adding time pressure to the battles left me unimpressed. The only piece of story that really made me want more is delivered near the end, which highlighted the vacuum of the previous 4 hours gameplay. It is under 5 hours playtime, including plenty of exploring, with most of the achievements unlocked on the first try. This is only worth your the money if bought as part of the orange box. Expand
  8. DannyB.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Still Half Life (2), but the weakest of the series. Lots of attempts at a story, with a decent script and still the same terrific voice acting. But the gameplay is old, and this was the most boring of the lot. Same old same old. The weapons and characters feel familiar, but there are no new things to entice us. There are the usual types of HL2 firefights, and an incredibly annoying end Still Half Life (2), but the weakest of the series. Lots of attempts at a story, with a decent script and still the same terrific voice acting. But the gameplay is old, and this was the most boring of the lot. Same old same old. The weapons and characters feel familiar, but there are no new things to entice us. There are the usual types of HL2 firefights, and an incredibly annoying end "crescendo" battle, thats not really fun, just plain irritating. I've played it through 3 times, thinking that it would grow on me with time, but it hasn't. As a MASSIVE Half Life series fan, I was supremely disappointed with this installment. Episode 1 was pretty thin, but it was nice to be engaged in in the HL story again. This time, it was like a weak movie sequel, just giving us enough to want to come back again to see what happens next. Its too bad actually, that the Valve folks took this route, instead of building us a game that really took us somewhere. Delivering little tidbits like this every year looks good on paper, but the way things are going, we all might forget about this series next time around Expand
  9. Ed
    Oct 12, 2007
    Not worth $29.95, even the mod Minerva is better and it's free. Ep 2 ant-lion and strider arcade sequences are boring, crawling through underground tunnels reminds me of all the vent pipe crawling in earlier Half-Life games.
  10. NickW.
    Oct 28, 2007
    Maybe I am just spoiled, but there was almost nothing new... some great set pieces, but cut scenes took the game more into the realm of a film that you could take part in most of the time. Very short too...i was so disappointed it was all over in a day, basically, even on hard setting. graphics, story, acting all brilliant as ever, but it just felt it was a bit of a game in every way. and Maybe I am just spoiled, but there was almost nothing new... some great set pieces, but cut scenes took the game more into the realm of a film that you could take part in most of the time. Very short too...i was so disappointed it was all over in a day, basically, even on hard setting. graphics, story, acting all brilliant as ever, but it just felt it was a bit of a game in every way. and WHY DO ALL THE ZOMBIES HAVE WHITE SWEATERS....come on valve, a bit of imagination on that point - so small a point, but so rubbish at the same time. Expand
  11. MikeyM.
    Dec 4, 2008
    This was not a very entertaining game for me. Lots of open yet redundant open space; there was no need to explore them since there was nothing there except empty crates. As I went through the game, I saw alot of crates that were used as filler space. Old broken cars used as filler space is understandable; an overturned truck that carried empty is not. I felt no connection to my so-called This was not a very entertaining game for me. Lots of open yet redundant open space; there was no need to explore them since there was nothing there except empty crates. As I went through the game, I saw alot of crates that were used as filler space. Old broken cars used as filler space is understandable; an overturned truck that carried empty is not. I felt no connection to my so-called companion, Alyx; she seems immortal: she hardly dies, and she can kill stuff with her pistol and infite ammo. I also felt that the introduction of new enemies were too litte too late in the series and that game mechanics didn't change. The story adds new characters and facilities out of the blue and magically erases others. The player is supposed to get to the Scientist Magnusson at White Forest Base (the character and location weren't materialized until now) to give a packet of information to him (which was acquired in episode 1). A sense of urgency and the importance of the data packet were being conveyed throughout game; I did feel the importance of urgency throughout the game. There is also no nightime when the player is outside; the player goes into dark undeground areas, but it is assumed that it is daylight. This lack of nightime in a story where everything happens chronologically is severely detracting from the mood and sense of urgency. Tha achievements were alright, added some replayability value, but not much. I also didn't enjoy the sense of constant praise from Alyx and resistance members. Expand
  12. LarryR.
    Nov 11, 2007
    Meh. HL2 was replayable. HL2: episodes 1 and 2 are fun once and then they can go back in the box. Most levels in this game are boring shoot em up and little strategy.
  13. DarwinS.
    Nov 27, 2007
    Real disappointment. Little story and even smaller amount of having to think. Seemed to be more of a game suited for ten year olds. The story line was amateurish at best and the final fight scene was just downright repetitive and boring. I thought I was only about half way through and was shocked that that was the end of this segment. $50 was WAY too much for a too short game and for the Real disappointment. Little story and even smaller amount of having to think. Seemed to be more of a game suited for ten year olds. The story line was amateurish at best and the final fight scene was just downright repetitive and boring. I thought I was only about half way through and was shocked that that was the end of this segment. $50 was WAY too much for a too short game and for the bastardization called TF2. I'm just glad that a mod team made a good TF called Fortress-Forever! Probably just have to leave TF2 for the kidz. If Portal wasn't included I would have given the orange box a rating of 2. Expand
  14. AnonymousPublisher
    Sep 21, 2009
    I don't think it's necessary this episode to the saga. it's all the same bu**sh** make an new "Monster" or a Human against you like "G-Man" not the same crap every time. But the graphs are good to me. 5.
  15. Jul 1, 2013
    I gave HL2 a 9 because it's one of my favourite games of all time, but I gave Episode 2 a 7 becouse it doesn't carry the greatness of HL2 and it's even less fun and just as short (or even shorter) as Episode 1. i'm not saying it's bad, just saying it's not as good as HL2.
  16. SaintNoobWut
    Dec 31, 2008
    I quite liked this, but the graphics, especially the blood and some body light, were over done. The blood exploded rather than stick to the walls and other surfaces. Also, half the time seeing Alyx, I got quite annoyed with a somewhat glowing face. Some of the levels were a bit confusing for me, (the antlion tunnel one) were some places, even after 5 mins of looking, seemed to be a place I quite liked this, but the graphics, especially the blood and some body light, were over done. The blood exploded rather than stick to the walls and other surfaces. Also, half the time seeing Alyx, I got quite annoyed with a somewhat glowing face. Some of the levels were a bit confusing for me, (the antlion tunnel one) were some places, even after 5 mins of looking, seemed to be a place half hidden. Though apart from that, I like the fact Valve added some new stuff, but also, the lack of new stuff to. Expand
  17. JaredG.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Good level design and story- though the gameplay is getting a bit worn. I find the linear-ness tiring. How about more options for creative thinking? I realize that there does have to be triggers and some linear play to make the story-telling happen, but how about better use of objects in the environment? I would have liked to be able to use a box- or possibly the trunk of the car to put Good level design and story- though the gameplay is getting a bit worn. I find the linear-ness tiring. How about more options for creative thinking? I realize that there does have to be triggers and some linear play to make the story-telling happen, but how about better use of objects in the environment? I would have liked to be able to use a box- or possibly the trunk of the car to put weapons and ammo in....I'd just like to see more options to exploit creativity. The go here, do this is just getting old. Still, the play that is there is worth 7 out of ten to me. Expand
  18. Red!
    Oct 22, 2007
    Good continuation although it's a bit of a wonder why it took so long after HL2ep1 to make ep2 since there seems to be so little added to the game... I really don't like the vehicles in HL2 though, they handle like crap. With the engine they have it would have been fun for them to skip the damn bink videos and do everythin in real-time (like ep1...)
  19. ChristopherH.
    Oct 28, 2007
    The HL concept is getting a bit old now, technically a good game but I'm getting a bit tired of it now.
  20. Tyler-jamesM.
    Jul 25, 2008
    its fun to play OK replay value 1 new wepon a new vehicle good sehncery the only bad things where hunters the gaint strider part and the ATLIONS MY GOD! ID RATHER fight 2000 poison zombies and zombine than the 5,000,000 atlinons! good game though.
  21. DavidKane
    Feb 10, 2009
    Another over-rated game. The end is so terrible when it leaves you hanging. And does not stand up very well on its own. Needed more work. I think it was rushed. The end boss fight against the striders, the basketball shoot, is a classic game fight though not soon to be forgotton. Lol! Not bad but could be better.
  22. MarkW.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Way too short again! Did it in less than half a day. Whats there is really good, but not good value for money.
  23. AndrewD.
    Oct 16, 2007
    It's enjoyable, good gameplay and the graphics are improved. But the game feels more like filler between Bioshock and Crysis releases. It's lost some of it's appeal.
  24. rhalle
    Oct 29, 2007
    If you're a longtime hardcore HL fan with a brain-- it deserves a 7.

It's still the best crafted and most visually beautiful PC experience out there, no matter what Unreal engine fans might think. But Ep. 2 lacks the genius of the previous games, and that's sad. Too many other financial ventures and lower playerbase IQ console-friendliness have diminished
    If you're a longtime hardcore HL fan with a brain-- it deserves a 7.

But Ep. 2 lacks the genius of the previous games, and that's sad.

Too many other financial ventures and lower playerbase IQ console-friendliness have diminished Ep2's lustre.

It's repetitive and narrow, and it spoils some of its mysteries when trying to clear them up for the uninitiated, in making a plotline more palatable for the HALO crowd.

The antlion sequence at the beginning of the game is the most boring I think I can ever remember in a HL game. I don't know of a time when I thought to myself 'God I wish this level would end' so early in playing.

I can only hope that going back to the Borealis is a signal that Valve will also be taking a step back in designing Episode 3.
    Heck, if Valve has guts, in the last level of Episode 3, we'll all be platform jumping in the combine overworld under the most beautiful skybox gamers have ever seen.

I do hope Valve gets the last one right.
  25. Dec 9, 2013
    This episode has very good game play and story, but it is way too short. I really hoped for longer episode than the first and its 4 hours long. On the other hand i think this episode had better story and game play than episode 1.
  26. Aug 8, 2013
    So, it's simply Half Life 2 with 2 new (great) enemies.
    I finish it in 5 hours (hard mode).
    Epic moment but the same thing than Half Life 2.
    And I ask to fans The game of the decade Really ?
    Yes Episode 2 is like HL2 a good game but the best game ever Certainly not (for me)

Any way you look at it, Episode Two stands out, even among the Half-Life series, as something special. It may be shorter than the original, but it's a burly experience packed into roughly six hours or so that offers up all the diversity, level design, and thoughtful gameplay we've known while making sure to propel the story forward and leave us wanting more.
  2. More great story blended with improved AI and better firefights. It's starting to retread old ground though.
  3. Episode Two is the most sumptuous chapter of the Half-Life saga, and by a country mile. It's as if Valve's tech and art teams are trying to outdo each other: the Source engine has had a striking technical overhaul that renders textures, materials and curves uncannily well, and the artists clearly relish having a fresh palette to work with.