9.2

1. BrandonJ
    Jan 21, 2010
    Excellent! the drama between magnus and kliener was fun to watch. the puzzle to killing ratio was about the same as the rest, so its another masterpiece. although the crush every antlion grub achievement on steam has got to be the hardest one out there. also, someone commented on repetition of game play, well its not like a few weeks are going to change the complete game play just for Excellent! the drama between magnus and kliener was fun to watch. the puzzle to killing ratio was about the same as the rest, so its another masterpiece. although the crush every antlion grub achievement on steam has got to be the hardest one out there. also, someone commented on repetition of game play, well its not like a few weeks are going to change the complete game play just for this one game. And as a last comment i can't believe i predicted the ending withing a few minutes of playing it. Expand
  2. NeriusM
    Apr 11, 2008
    Like all HL series... Awesome!
  3. Vaddlo
    Jun 17, 2008
    That's the best game I have ever played!
  4. JamesS.
    Apr 3, 2008
    THE BEST GAME EVER!!!! Seriously, it's kind of short, but the gameplay is excellent, the story is amazing, and the characters are incredibly believable. I know I became more attached to them than I should have, but I felt like crying when Eli was killed, that's how involving this game is.
  5. MichaelG.
    Jan 7, 2008
    As awesome as ever...my only gripe is the tease where you think you're going to get to fly a chopper and then they kill off a major character! Grrrrrrrr. But great action, and I love that you get to drive a pieced-together old muscle car, and jump it across a chasm. Nice. Excellent combat as always, great physics and AI, and the plot just continues to get more interesting.
  6. ScottH.
    Oct 28, 2007
    Excellent story-telling, game-making, technological achievement in entertainment.
  7. BradS.
    Oct 18, 2007
    I would give it 9.5 but I'm unable to set it there. The game continues the saga wonderfully, is a little short but for those who say "it's too similar", it actually is improved: the AI, flashlight, breaking buildings, certain render features, etc. It isn't as groundbreaking as some games are soon likely to be, but it does what it's made to do very well.
  8. YuukiA.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Visually stunning, the source engine continues to evolve and provides wonderful scenery and backdrops as you race to save earth with the iminant portal always looming in the background. The open areas are a real treat and makes you want to jump out and explore all the niches and crevices as u drive along. Episode 2 definately brings back the impact half life 2 originally had, lots of neat Visually stunning, the source engine continues to evolve and provides wonderful scenery and backdrops as you race to save earth with the iminant portal always looming in the background. The open areas are a real treat and makes you want to jump out and explore all the niches and crevices as u drive along. Episode 2 definately brings back the impact half life 2 originally had, lots of neat puzzles, intense fights, great AI and important progress in the wonderful story that is Half life. I'd definately play this through again, there was enough new 'stuff' to entertain the creative but intact is what Gordon Freeman is all about, blasting zombies, bugs and rising up against all odds. Episode one was good, Episode 2 will have you craving for more. Least to say, it was worth the wait. Definate two thumbs up, great job Valve. Expand
  9. AS
    Oct 26, 2008
    Episode 1 was disappointing because it added nothing new to the HL2 series. It was boring, linear and 4 hours long and really added nothing. Episode 2 however...my god...this is what I'm talking about. Episode 2 adds new outdoor environments, enemies and a cinematic story and REALLY feels like an addition to the series because it feels fresh and adds new things not seen in HL2 & Episode 1 was disappointing because it added nothing new to the HL2 series. It was boring, linear and 4 hours long and really added nothing. Episode 2 however...my god...this is what I'm talking about. Episode 2 adds new outdoor environments, enemies and a cinematic story and REALLY feels like an addition to the series because it feels fresh and adds new things not seen in HL2 & Episode 1. When we played HL2 4 years ago, we were amazed at how fresh the game was, never having played anything like it before. Episode 2 feels the same. It's great fun and you won't want to stop playing until you've finished (unlike Episode 1). Graphical improvements have also been added and the environments just look amazing. It's also twice as long as Episode 1 (about 7-8 hours). This game truly feels polished today, just like HL2 did in 2004. Episode 1 however does not which feels like the same HL2 from 2004. Expand
  10. KorosuI.
    Mar 10, 2008
    It's just the best part of the Half-Life series. Great experience, original gameplay, better dialogs and characters. I loved it all.
  11. niallM
    Oct 18, 2009
    First of all I am not a valve fanboy, and outragous rating of this game thouraly angered me. The half life series has to be one of the most origanal and different ever to be created. The story line completely took me in, the visual effect leaps out at you like no other game. Valve has no been repetitive with the half life series, Valve is a gaming company that is not afraid to differ from First of all I am not a valve fanboy, and outragous rating of this game thouraly angered me. The half life series has to be one of the most origanal and different ever to be created. The story line completely took me in, the visual effect leaps out at you like no other game. Valve has no been repetitive with the half life series, Valve is a gaming company that is not afraid to differ from the happy little feel good games such as call of duty! And I'm sorry mr. Hlep U but frankly all of the games in theorange box were utterly brilliant! Portal made you think beyond the level of other puzzle games. If you want something a little different and fun then where else to look but team fortress 2, it offers a fun experiense with a feel good cartoony style, and i'm sure you already know about the outright brilliance of hl2 and it's succesers! And I'm sorry if I right now am sounding like a Valve spokesman, but the only way the orange box could have possibly made any better a deal was if they had included left 4 dead. Expand
  12. IanS.
    Oct 11, 2007
    Incredible, it's cinematics are becoming more similar target with a TV show than an FPS, and it actually revealed a bit about the G-man for a change.
  13. ZoltanH.
    Nov 3, 2007
    I liked HL2 and EP 1 but EP 2 is one of the best FPS I've ever seen...
  14. Dec 23, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half Life 2 is a must get game for gamers.I really like the Antlion Invasion to protect the Vort and Alyx.Really Fun.I also like the Zombine, too.Puzzles are a little frustrating, but you get them some time.I also liked the Antlion Guardian, bossfight. Expand
  15. Aug 6, 2012
    WOW. The first thing that blows my mind is the graphics. When i first played this, I literally stopped moving and all I could do was just look at how good the graphics are. For a 2007 game, holy **** brilliantly done Valve. The gameplay in this episode is intoxicating. The difficulty is FINALLY perfected in this game, with a constant challenge throughout the entire game (or at least enoughWOW. The first thing that blows my mind is the graphics. When i first played this, I literally stopped moving and all I could do was just look at how good the graphics are. For a 2007 game, holy **** brilliantly done Valve. The gameplay in this episode is intoxicating. The difficulty is FINALLY perfected in this game, with a constant challenge throughout the entire game (or at least enough interest to keep you going), and only one section where the difficulty really spikes. And hOLY **** the music. Valve really knows where to put music in a video game, and when. The placement of the music brilliantly sets the tone for the gameplay. I don't think I have ever played a game with better music than this game. I feel like Valve physically read my mind about what I wanted there to be in Ep. 2, and they delivered. HUGE HUGE changes in this game. The gameplay is radically different, where Ep. 1 is focused mainly on combat, in Ep. 2, combat is much more spread out and it's mostly about navigating and trying to find your way. If you zoom out and look at the game layout, you'll see that it's pretty linear, but it does NOT feel that way in anyway. You're doing all sort of things, holding off attacks, investigating buildings, outrunning choppers, destroying enemy positions, and finding secret caches. The game will switch from exploration, to fierce combat, instantaneously. You will NEVER EVER know what will happen next. The length of the game is astounding, for such a level of intensity. It is easily twice as long as ep. 1, and nearly 3x as interesting. You will not want to put this game down. However, the difficulty is STILL not perfected, and some encounters may cause your health to quickly diminish. The first time I played this, there was a part that I simply could not beat because my health was just simply too low, so I had to go back several saves, which was extremely aggravating, and even then, I STILL had enormous difficulty with the fight. My second time through the game however, I had not trouble at all. Overall, this is a masterpiece video game, and is far superior to ep. 1, and quite possibly, Half-Life 2 itself. Expand
  16. Jul 11, 2013
    Silly hunters! While half life 2 had some minor flaws in the pacing (specifically in chapters like Root Kanal and Water Hazard) i think this game was paced perfectly and beautifully. The original HL and HL2 were challenging but, this game is also pretty challenging. And the ending battle with mini striders and striders was just magnificent. Still waiting on episode 3...
  17. Oct 9, 2010
    Much better than the first episode and that is saying a lot, considering this is an expansion it provides a lot of content and if you are a fan of the original you already own and beat this haha, but if you are not consider getting the original and both addons, you won't regret it.
  18. AndrewQ.
    Mar 3, 2008
    Everything I have come to expect from Valve, repetitive puzzles, similar action sequences throughout, and BY GOD DO I LOVE IT!
  19. Sep 29, 2011
    The gameplay and story pick up in this one, but carrying that stupid gnome through the whole game is a bugger. Still, it's a good game in its own merit, with great level design as usual. Worth playing even if you haven't played HL2 or Ep. 1.
  20. JackG
    Sep 12, 2009
    This game is Great the combat feels fresh even tho its an old game and it makes you think on your feet. my only problem is some of the bits get a bit repetitive like killing the Hunters and Striders outside white forest, apart from this i have no problem with this game and its worth buying. :)
  21. MichaelR.
    Nov 3, 2007
    Great game! But too short for money!
  22. JesusC.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Really quite saddened by how this game turned out. The latter portion was incredibly boring, and the story seemed to drag. This was quite the shame as Episode 1 was very entertaining.
  23. PhilipB.
    Feb 27, 2008
    Game won't run. Keep getting 'You do not have permissions to run HL2' and can't get it to work at all. All in all the experience has left me annoyed and out of pocket. A complete waste of time and money.
  24. BradleyG.
    Feb 9, 2008
    It would be a ten if it weren't for the fact that certain things seem ripped off. The "Striders" look like the things from "War of the Worlds", the aliens use humans to build their army, kind of like "Quake". Everything other than that was amazing though.
  25. KarelP.
    Mar 6, 2008
    Has the experience for gamers to play.
  26. GaryB.
    Oct 23, 2007
    If you've played half-life2, much of this plays like a re-run. I thought way too much has been done in the previous games, and was just recycled here. I give it an 8 for the characters, both major and minor, and the visual and audial quality.
  27. JustinJ.
    Mar 10, 2008
    They improved so much from half life 2 , graphics are awsome.. the only disadvantage is that the start is really slow and long.. and really got bored killing antilions for 2 hours.
  28. SamV.
    Jun 6, 2008
    Good game, nice graphics, only... it's a litle bit short for it's price. Perhaps, give less attention to the graphic layout (because it's very good now!) and give more attention to make the game longer. Looking forward for episode 3.
  29. LukeM.
    Mar 24, 2009
    Best Game Ever!!!!
  30. Bart
    Nov 1, 2007
    TOO SHORT!!! It is good as the game play is concerned but it ends before it really starts. When I finished the forest battle I expected it to continue, instead I saw a lame ending. Come on Valve, make the third one last as long as original HL2, you owe your fans at least that much...
  31. SusanD.
    Oct 14, 2007
    Only single player campaign played. This game series is overrated by today's standards. First two or three chapters were okay and fun to play but chapters four through seven where sort of lumped together. I don't believe there was anything to do in the last chapter but move Gordon and watch the ending. Shame. I suspect the developers lost interest half way through and just wound Only single player campaign played. This game series is overrated by today's standards. First two or three chapters were okay and fun to play but chapters four through seven where sort of lumped together. I don't believe there was anything to do in the last chapter but move Gordon and watch the ending. Shame. I suspect the developers lost interest half way through and just wound it up as fast as they could. And now we have the final third part to look forward too--boring. Expand
  32. JustinM.
    Oct 27, 2007
    Although an acceptable foray in its own right, all the set pieces and puzzles have been done previously, it is still completely linear and just adding time pressure to the battles left me unimpressed. The only piece of story that really made me want more is delivered near the end, which highlighted the vacuum of the previous 4 hours gameplay. It is under 5 hours playtime, including plenty Although an acceptable foray in its own right, all the set pieces and puzzles have been done previously, it is still completely linear and just adding time pressure to the battles left me unimpressed. The only piece of story that really made me want more is delivered near the end, which highlighted the vacuum of the previous 4 hours gameplay. It is under 5 hours playtime, including plenty of exploring, with most of the achievements unlocked on the first try. This is only worth your the money if bought as part of the orange box. Expand
  33. DannyB.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Still Half Life (2), but the weakest of the series. Lots of attempts at a story, with a decent script and still the same terrific voice acting. But the gameplay is old, and this was the most boring of the lot. Same old same old. The weapons and characters feel familiar, but there are no new things to entice us. There are the usual types of HL2 firefights, and an incredibly annoying end Still Half Life (2), but the weakest of the series. Lots of attempts at a story, with a decent script and still the same terrific voice acting. But the gameplay is old, and this was the most boring of the lot. Same old same old. The weapons and characters feel familiar, but there are no new things to entice us. There are the usual types of HL2 firefights, and an incredibly annoying end "crescendo" battle, thats not really fun, just plain irritating. I've played it through 3 times, thinking that it would grow on me with time, but it hasn't. As a MASSIVE Half Life series fan, I was supremely disappointed with this installment. Episode 1 was pretty thin, but it was nice to be engaged in in the HL story again. This time, it was like a weak movie sequel, just giving us enough to want to come back again to see what happens next. Its too bad actually, that the Valve folks took this route, instead of building us a game that really took us somewhere. Delivering little tidbits like this every year looks good on paper, but the way things are going, we all might forget about this series next time around Expand
  34. Ed
    Oct 12, 2007
    Not worth $29.95, even the mod Minerva is better and it's free. Ep 2 ant-lion and strider arcade sequences are boring, crawling through underground tunnels reminds me of all the vent pipe crawling in earlier Half-Life games.
  35. HowardP.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Too short, battles were not balanced.
  36. OmarC.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Awfully short for the waiting time. Nothing new, and incredebly noobfriendly.
  37. PeterW.
    Way,way too short.
  38. AaronL.
    Oct 16, 2007
    While the game itself is great the few levels and very short episode was very disapointing for the cost I would have expected a few more levels.
  39. jonathan
    Nov 9, 2007
    Half life 2 episode 2, is half a game, it is no good bringing out a block buster such as half life 2 and then the excellent episode 1, just to be followed by half games to drag out the story for as long as possible !! Sequels are bad enough, with those you can get away with 3 or 4 , but this episode thing, with what we have been given in the 2nd episode, compared to episode 1 or theHalf life 2 episode 2, is half a game, it is no good bringing out a block buster such as half life 2 and then the excellent episode 1, just to be followed by half games to drag out the story for as long as possible !! Sequels are bad enough, with those you can get away with 3 or 4 , but this episode thing, with what we have been given in the 2nd episode, compared to episode 1 or the oriignal half life 2, it seems that we are getting less and less with each stage and just how many half games/episodes are there going to be. The battle with the stalkers would have made a brilliant half way stage and quite frankly I was gutted to have only about 5 minutes after that left and that was it....Robbed, where was the reward for such a battle (another year wait for more half life ?) !! Half a game , Half a score I'm afraid. I played half life 2 and ep1 many , many times over. No need to play ep2 again really, not much to see ! Just decided it earns a 3 not a 5 !! Valve....Reinvent and bring us a Revelation for ep3 ! Expand
  40. jamescpublic
    Oct 20, 2007
    I thought the game was too short for the money that it cost to purchase and the time since episode 1. The game "Portal" that was bundled with Episode 2 was much more thought out and compelling.
    The storyline did not progress very far and few plot "milestones" were achieved.

The gameplay was not that much different than Episode 1 and I am not sure I understand why this game took so long to produce because it had the feel of an expansion pack.
  41. DannyM.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Overpriced, over hyped, too short and is obviously a part of a larger, mythical game, called "half-life 2.5", which is made up of all three "episodic" releases. Seriously, $30 for a small expansion with 5 hours game-play is a lot when you think of the price of the original. If they know something, it's how to milk. They're gonna milk this one dry, Valve.
  42. NickW.
    Oct 28, 2007
    Maybe I am just spoiled, but there was almost nothing new... some great set pieces, but cut scenes took the game more into the realm of a film that you could take part in most of the time. Very short too...i was so disappointed it was all over in a day, basically, even on hard setting. graphics, story, acting all brilliant as ever, but it just felt it was a bit of a game in every way. and Maybe I am just spoiled, but there was almost nothing new... some great set pieces, but cut scenes took the game more into the realm of a film that you could take part in most of the time. Very short too...i was so disappointed it was all over in a day, basically, even on hard setting. graphics, story, acting all brilliant as ever, but it just felt it was a bit of a game in every way. and WHY DO ALL THE ZOMBIES HAVE WHITE SWEATERS....come on valve, a bit of imagination on that point - so small a point, but so rubbish at the same time. Expand
  43. MikeyM.
    Dec 4, 2008
    This was not a very entertaining game for me. Lots of open yet redundant open space; there was no need to explore them since there was nothing there except empty crates. As I went through the game, I saw alot of crates that were used as filler space. Old broken cars used as filler space is understandable; an overturned truck that carried empty is not. I felt no connection to my so-called This was not a very entertaining game for me. Lots of open yet redundant open space; there was no need to explore them since there was nothing there except empty crates. As I went through the game, I saw alot of crates that were used as filler space. Old broken cars used as filler space is understandable; an overturned truck that carried empty is not. I felt no connection to my so-called companion, Alyx; she seems immortal: she hardly dies, and she can kill stuff with her pistol and infite ammo. I also felt that the introduction of new enemies were too litte too late in the series and that game mechanics didn't change. The story adds new characters and facilities out of the blue and magically erases others. The player is supposed to get to the Scientist Magnusson at White Forest Base (the character and location weren't materialized until now) to give a packet of information to him (which was acquired in episode 1). A sense of urgency and the importance of the data packet were being conveyed throughout game; I did feel the importance of urgency throughout the game. There is also no nightime when the player is outside; the player goes into dark undeground areas, but it is assumed that it is daylight. This lack of nightime in a story where everything happens chronologically is severely detracting from the mood and sense of urgency. Tha achievements were alright, added some replayability value, but not much. I also didn't enjoy the sense of constant praise from Alyx and resistance members. Expand
  44. DannyG
    Jul 14, 2008
    I hated this esp was way to sort all this is about is the girl dying and brining her to life and her dad dying and thats it...was nothing based from the explosion or anything just stupid sinceless sht i didn't care about.
  45. HelpU
    Jul 19, 2009
    This is the original advertising campaign. "Half Life 2: Adventures of Gordan Freeman and the Crappy Unnecessary Character: Part 2" By now, if you actually enjoyed Half Life 2 up to this point, we can throw just about anything at you. How about? The same puzzles. How about? One new Enemy with slightly updated AI. How about? A storyline that actually requires you to study and worship Half This is the original advertising campaign. "Half Life 2: Adventures of Gordan Freeman and the Crappy Unnecessary Character: Part 2" By now, if you actually enjoyed Half Life 2 up to this point, we can throw just about anything at you. How about? The same puzzles. How about? One new Enemy with slightly updated AI. How about? A storyline that actually requires you to study and worship Half Life to sort of understand. How about? More awkward situations to the point of unrealism. How about? The final, not boss, Bosses be very overly complicated to defeat and leaves room for hours of frustration. Now we know how much our fans like the same old formulas. So, get this, we actually make it into a package deal. With one, count them, one good game in the package deal. Its called Portal or something....us valve teammembers are against games that make you think but we'll let this one slide. We can't call it something generic like "Valve Fanboy Package" we'll make it the "Orange Box" which is like the mating call for all Valve fanboys. I hope you come to enjoy our repackaging of Half Life 2 as much we enjoy half a**ing everything. Expand
  46. LarryR.
    Nov 11, 2007
    Meh. HL2 was replayable. HL2: episodes 1 and 2 are fun once and then they can go back in the box. Most levels in this game are boring shoot em up and little strategy.
  47. DarwinS.
    Nov 27, 2007
    Real disappointment. Little story and even smaller amount of having to think. Seemed to be more of a game suited for ten year olds. The story line was amateurish at best and the final fight scene was just downright repetitive and boring. I thought I was only about half way through and was shocked that that was the end of this segment. $50 was WAY too much for a too short game and for the Real disappointment. Little story and even smaller amount of having to think. Seemed to be more of a game suited for ten year olds. The story line was amateurish at best and the final fight scene was just downright repetitive and boring. I thought I was only about half way through and was shocked that that was the end of this segment. $50 was WAY too much for a too short game and for the bastardization called TF2. I'm just glad that a mod team made a good TF called Fortress-Forever! Probably just have to leave TF2 for the kidz. If Portal wasn't included I would have given the orange box a rating of 2. Expand
  48. AlbertoS.González
    Nov 3, 2007
    It may be a little short and it makes a slow start, but the second half of the game is simply amazing. It deserves for me a 9,5 but if I have to choose between 9 and 10 I prefer the last. I hope Episode Three will be available as soon as developers can!
  49. SamG.
    Oct 13, 2007
    The 3 is only because I'm a Half-Life junkie. It's not worth the price of the orange box. Here are my main gripes with the game: The wide open spaces that you can travel about in this game are just that - wide open spaces with nothing in them. There's a goal to reach and not too many paths to reach it. It's like being in an amusement park that covers one square mile The 3 is only because I'm a Half-Life junkie. It's not worth the price of the orange box. Here are my main gripes with the game: The wide open spaces that you can travel about in this game are just that - wide open spaces with nothing in them. There's a goal to reach and not too many paths to reach it. It's like being in an amusement park that covers one square mile and has a single ride. To make matters worse, much of the open space is traversed while driving. Valve has made no improvements to the driving experience since HL one. This means that the vehicle drives like a pickup truck on ice with an on/off switch on the gas and brake. The driving is also monotonous. You get to drive through a few boxes, stop for some supplies, and run into an enemy or two. Over and over. My other problem is with the gravity gun. Every puzzle and enemy can be beaten with only the gravity gun. Pick up a piece of debris and chuck it at a bad guy. Move an object out of your way. Repeat about a thousand times. You can let Alex do almost all of the shooting with her limitless supply of ammo and good aim. The achievements are also a bit lame. Kill a bunch of grubs and get a prize. Beat a few hunters and get a prize. Whoopee. I'm not going to play back through to get the ones I missed. The game is fun once through, but I think the linear game-play limits this to a once-through title. I'm almost at the end of the game and I see this as not much more than added levels to HL 2. The actual fighting can be fun and the weapons are cool, if you choose to use them. Alex ruins the game in many places since you can just let her do the shooting and launch a tire or two to help out when she gets overwhelmed. The same can be done with most of the companions that help throughout the game. I paid full price for the orange box just for this game. I wish I would've waited until someone else beat it and bought their copy at a reduced price. this isn't worth $50. Expand
  50. AnonymousPublisher
    Sep 21, 2009
    I don't think it's necessary this episode to the saga. it's all the same bu**sh** make an new "Monster" or a Human against you like "G-Man" not the same crap every time. But the graphs are good to me. 5.
  51. Apr 27, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = This add on is YET ANOTHER masterful game from the makers of Half life and Portal. You guys are too damn smart.
  52. Nov 17, 2011
    The Half-Life series is awesome. Great soundtrack, great gameplay, good graphics (for their time), and jaw-droppingly good story. Much better than modern trashy FPS titles. Despite the fact that some of the "comedic relief" - as many call it - somewhat diminished the otherwise intriguing atmosphere of the Half-Life series, I can't help but emphasize once again that it is still much betterThe Half-Life series is awesome. Great soundtrack, great gameplay, good graphics (for their time), and jaw-droppingly good story. Much better than modern trashy FPS titles. Despite the fact that some of the "comedic relief" - as many call it - somewhat diminished the otherwise intriguing atmosphere of the Half-Life series, I can't help but emphasize once again that it is still much better than modern trashy FPS titles. The Half-Life saga is pretty amazing. Give it a try. Expand
  53. Nov 17, 2011
    This is a must-buy expansion for people who liked Half-Life 2. The story keeps unfolding without any plot twists that would alienate fans. The first part of EP2 is full of action, though it is undeniably corridor-to-corridor linear. The second part does what Half-Life 2 does best - Mixing action, puzzles, and scripting. In case you need to understand how it works, let me share anThis is a must-buy expansion for people who liked Half-Life 2. The story keeps unfolding without any plot twists that would alienate fans. The first part of EP2 is full of action, though it is undeniably corridor-to-corridor linear. The second part does what Half-Life 2 does best - Mixing action, puzzles, and scripting. In case you need to understand how it works, let me share an experience. The Combine raided a missile silo, and I need to shut the doors in order to prevent any more Combine from entering in. Unfortunately, at the switch, they set up a turret. I sprint past the turret, leaving me with 90 health. I then grab my crossbow, move a bit from my cover, and snipe the soldier's head. To my dismay there is another Combine, and he manages to shoot me . I escape, but now I have 3 health. I see a health pack, but in order to grab it I need to get out of cover again. I instead push it off using a nearby box and the gravity gun, and drag it over to gain some more health. I then use the box to hide my presence while I sneak to another room. I take out a Combine there, and then open the door, shotgun in hand, and blast that last guy. I shut the door, but I use the turret to fend off all other invaders. THE REASON WHY IT DOESN'T HAVE A 10 IS BECAUSE OF THE ENDING. No, unlike most games, it's not a plot twist that is disappointing. It's just so annoying, and the AI doesn't help either. Expand
  54. Jul 1, 2013
    I gave HL2 a 9 because it's one of my favourite games of all time, but I gave Episode 2 a 7 becouse it doesn't carry the greatness of HL2 and it's even less fun and just as short (or even shorter) as Episode 1. i'm not saying it's bad, just saying it's not as good as HL2.
  55. Jan 5, 2015
    I played a total of seven hours into this and completed it, But two of those hours was dealing with crashing/freezing at main menu and in the middle of gaming , subtitle glitches, Character model glitches, texture glitches and many more. This Episode does have good Levels and memorable moments and a good set off for Half-Life 3, But the Glitches destroyed this for me.
  56. YlonS.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Really loved the story line, even liked it more that zombies weren't the the most npc's that gave you trouble. I'll give it an 10 for story line and that alyx is with you 80% of the game instead you doing everything alone.
  57. MC
    Oct 10, 2007
    An excellent chapter of the half life saga, well told and acted; as well as offering loads of eye candy. my advice would be to wait with playing until closer to episode 3, or you'll be hungering for more.
  58. CaseyT.
    Nov 1, 2007
    It sticks to the true story and form of the original. Game flows smoothly and action is alway awaiting around the corner. Just as good as the original.
  59. IvoD.
    This is even better and better, will there be a Epesode 3 THEN I WILL PLAY :D
  60. Kilroy
    Oct 13, 2007
    Much better than ep1 (only because ep1 can be completed in 2- 30 minutes). Though this game's ending was left completely open (for ep3) it takes quite a bit longer to complete. Graphics are amazing (especially the car scenes through the forest) Definitely worth he money! I actually didn't feel bad for buying this episode.. Nice challenging tasks ... YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!!
  61. KeithB.
    Oct 18, 2007
    It's a little bit on the "more of the same" side but very much worth it.
  62. ChrisF.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Excellent continuation of the story with new challenges not seen in the previous episodes.
  63. JustinA.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Great continuation of the epic storyline against the combine. Graphics and gameplay are a tad outdated though but still pretty to look at.
  64. AndreasN.
    Jan 1, 2008
    Awesome as usual. Cant wait to the next part. The Episodes are so short. Too short. Bigger please. Only thing that sucked was the ORGANGE BOX Package. Buy the whole game again. 2 copies. Great thoe for new player. Great package.
  65. AlexanderV.
    Feb 1, 2008
    I don't know, how Episode Three will look like, but I do know, that Half-Life 2: Ep 2 is showing the best gameplay in all of FPS (Not counting HL2 & Ep 1, because evolution of the series started with superior game).
  66. NikolayI.
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm sure the game is impressive - gameplay, storyline and characters are excellent. The only thing to worry about is graphics. The game was released in October 2007, but it doesn't support DX10 features or full dynamic shadows and detail level is very low... I know many gamers think graphics in this game isn't so important as gameplay, for example, but I think Source engine I'm sure the game is impressive - gameplay, storyline and characters are excellent. The only thing to worry about is graphics. The game was released in October 2007, but it doesn't support DX10 features or full dynamic shadows and detail level is very low... I know many gamers think graphics in this game isn't so important as gameplay, for example, but I think Source engine needs a serious modernization. P.S. Sorry for my English because I'm from Russia. Expand
  67. RossH.
    Mar 2, 2009
    I would first like to say that half of the User Reviews don't even make sense, let alone give you a decent reason for why they rated the game as such. I will refer you first to Danny G who rated the game a 1. It seem he hated this esp, WTF is a esp? Probably short for episode but the individual is too stupid to realize the "p" is before the "s" in episode. I hope nobody continued I would first like to say that half of the User Reviews don't even make sense, let alone give you a decent reason for why they rated the game as such. I will refer you first to Danny G who rated the game a 1. It seem he hated this esp, WTF is a esp? Probably short for episode but the individual is too stupid to realize the "p" is before the "s" in episode. I hope nobody continued reading his review after that unless they were trying to get a laugh out of it. The second I would like to note is Philip B. He rated the game a zero because operating system didn't grant him the permission to run executable. Please don't abuse the game rating system because you can't play it. Personally I gave the game a 9. It had everything I could want in good FPS. The story line was amazing and continued an arc that seems to keep the mystery of what is going on alive, well progressing itself in an interesting manner. The graphics continue to amaze and delight me and the physics compliment it nicely. The only two things I have against this game is difficulty and length of play. Since everyone already knows that these are episodes and are going to be short I don't have to explain my lust for more when I get done with an episode. However my problem with the fact that the game isn't very hard even on the hardest of settings still bugs the shit out of me. Please valve make another setting for die hard gamers to give us the challenge we need. Expand
  68. scottd
    Jan 1, 2010
    yes could it be? something that actualy may be better then half-life 2! episode two (of three) push's the envelope for the series as it breaks out of the norm and gives us insight like never before! the enviroments are beutyful and the story is as wonderfuly told as ever and if i had to have any gripe with the expansion it would only be the finale, not that it's a bad finale, i yes could it be? something that actualy may be better then half-life 2! episode two (of three) push's the envelope for the series as it breaks out of the norm and gives us insight like never before! the enviroments are beutyful and the story is as wonderfuly told as ever and if i had to have any gripe with the expansion it would only be the finale, not that it's a bad finale, i just couldnt get 'into' the last little bit of action Expand
  69. TravisG
    Jan 20, 2010
    The ending. I've never been so drawn into a game like this. This was the episode that REALLY made me care about Alex Vance as a person and not just as that quirky/funny chick that happened to like Gordon form the other games. Because of Episode 2 my outlook on this series has completely changed. Before I loved these games. But episode 2 ingrained them in me. Good job Valve, The ending. I've never been so drawn into a game like this. This was the episode that REALLY made me care about Alex Vance as a person and not just as that quirky/funny chick that happened to like Gordon form the other games. Because of Episode 2 my outlook on this series has completely changed. Before I loved these games. But episode 2 ingrained them in me. Good job Valve, here's hoping that the announcement of your progress on Episode 3 come out this year. Expand
  70. TannerH.
    Oct 11, 2007
    Great game, loved all the half life 2 games, love this one cause u get to continue the great adventure of gordan freeman! of course has alot more great action and puzzles and its fun!
  71. BrianS.
    Oct 11, 2007
    I liked the extension of the storyline done here, but as usual the episodic content for HL2 once again rides far too short for the amount of development time that does into it. I love the episodic content model Valve is doing, but for them to truely be hitting home runs with 6 hours of content, that 6 hours of content needs to be developed and released within around a 3 - 6 month time I liked the extension of the storyline done here, but as usual the episodic content for HL2 once again rides far too short for the amount of development time that does into it. I love the episodic content model Valve is doing, but for them to truely be hitting home runs with 6 hours of content, that 6 hours of content needs to be developed and released within around a 3 - 6 month time scale, and Valve has yet to meet a quick release schedule for the HL2 episodes. In general while the expansion is good, theres not alot of majorly new concepts in pay here and while the levels are good the lack much in the area of new content and resources to justify the amount of time its taken to develop it all. Overall I have no complaints about Episode 2, but to get above an 8 rating from me Valve is going to have to either increase the amount of game play content per Episode to at least 12 hours, or start releasing these 6 hour episodics at least once every 6 months. Collapse
  72. JamesH.
    Nov 2, 2007
    This is definitely one of my all-time favourite games. Episode Two has it all: a gripping sci-fi plot, memorable characters, amazing graphics, incredible action, the list goes on. I agree with the other reviews that it seemed a bit short, and the last chapter was somewhat diminished by what I thought an abrupt (but good) ending. (Even before starting the game I had a feeling that Eli This is definitely one of my all-time favourite games. Episode Two has it all: a gripping sci-fi plot, memorable characters, amazing graphics, incredible action, the list goes on. I agree with the other reviews that it seemed a bit short, and the last chapter was somewhat diminished by what I thought an abrupt (but good) ending. (Even before starting the game I had a feeling that Eli Vance would die.) However, niether of these small shortcomings can make me take off even one point, because the game is so AWESOME!!!! I was left wanting the sequel right after it ended;I really can't wait until it comes out! I think this is an excellent continuation of the Half-Life saga. Nice work, Valve. Thank you for making this game, and please release the next episode ASAP. Also, thank you for reading and posting up this message. Peace, y'all. Expand
  73. SebastianF.
    Oct 12, 2007
    This game is alot of fun!I was hooked from the beginning on and the view after you exit the train....wow...Again, like in episode 1, the gametime is a little short. I know its just an episode but the story and game was well made and i just wanted to play for at least another two hours but than it ended quickly...This is the only reason why i didnt give it a 10.Amazing gameplay, Awesome This game is alot of fun!I was hooked from the beginning on and the view after you exit the train....wow...Again, like in episode 1, the gametime is a little short. I know its just an episode but the story and game was well made and i just wanted to play for at least another two hours but than it ended quickly...This is the only reason why i didnt give it a 10.Amazing gameplay, Awesome story and unbelievable graphics! Expand
  74. AlexK.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Episode Two brings you the moments when just stick to the monitor and can do nothing but play... no not play, you live these 5 hours of gameplay all by yourself. It`s a great experience after such masterpieces like Half-Life 2 and Episode One. Remarkable as always.
  75. RobA.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Back on par with the half life series for quality after the disapointing episode 1. Good story advancement, character dialogue and gameplay. No knew weapons though.
  76. AnonymousMC
    Oct 12, 2007
    Truly a masterpiece of gaming.

The story is great and gameplay is way more fun, than it was in original HL2 or in Episode one.

It's way too short, but you can't get everything.

And with it, you'll get even 2 great games: Portal (With it's genius gameplay and atmosphere) and Team Fortress 2, which is the most fun online multiplayer shooter yet.
  77. YannC.
    Nov 3, 2007
    This game is perfect. Just one thing : too short.
  78. MichaelS.
    Oct 14, 2007
    Half life 2 Ep 2 is by far one of the most thought out games in the HL series. It is not only a good story but the story relates to the player's expeirence. I have gone thought the game and have listened to all the creators comments in the game and I was amazed at how much though that the makers of ep2 put into the game. In my opinion HL2 ep2 surpasses my expectations and turned out Half life 2 Ep 2 is by far one of the most thought out games in the HL series. It is not only a good story but the story relates to the player's expeirence. I have gone thought the game and have listened to all the creators comments in the game and I was amazed at how much though that the makers of ep2 put into the game. In my opinion HL2 ep2 surpasses my expectations and turned out to be a Great gaming expierence. Expand
  79. TimL.
    Oct 14, 2007
    Fantastic addition to the Halflife Life canon. Adds to and improves the story telling aspect, and a MUCH better experience than Ep1.
  80. JasonFarbo
    Oct 14, 2007
    I was moved to tears by the emotional impact of this act in the continuing battle of Dr. Freeman against the evil alien Combine. I cannot wait until I can play the next act. Rest in peace, Eli. I will savor your vengeance. And as for the creature who may bring "Unforseen consequenses", I wish him my early condolences... May broadswords and bullets be his undoing. Freeman Forever!
  81. AlexC.
    Oct 14, 2007
    It's amazing how you can also use your head in a shooter and how have to be strategic! i love that!
  82. MalteB.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Just finished HL2:EP2 ... no words to describe this great 2nd addon to HL2 ... so perfect, so beautiful, so immersive. Can't wait for EP3!
  83. JeremyN.
    Oct 15, 2007
    An Amazing chapter to the already amazing story of Half-Life 2. Better then the First Episode although I wish there was a trailer for the 3rd.
  84. ThaTyger
    Nov 5, 2007
    Episode Two is a great new adventure, full of interesting plot changes. After the somewhat disappointing Episode 1 (great story, but in less then 2 hours I beat it on hard) it makes up to all the promises and more! The game looks plain awesome, even on my 4 year old game pc (I can still run HDR lightning and AA ^_^)!! The new maps are large, and the locations are variated. The only Episode Two is a great new adventure, full of interesting plot changes. After the somewhat disappointing Episode 1 (great story, but in less then 2 hours I beat it on hard) it makes up to all the promises and more! The game looks plain awesome, even on my 4 year old game pc (I can still run HDR lightning and AA ^_^)!! The new maps are large, and the locations are variated. The only negative point would be that I'd like to see some new weapons, and maybe some more "boss fight" kind of things (like an advisor battle). This game is by far the best game of 2007 however! Expand
  85. EggertM.
    Little short but great game, can't wait for Episode 3
  86. ChaseS.
    Oct 16, 2007
    Awesome game, but its so damn noob friendly..... and i thought this was supposed to focus on "non linear" gameplay , its pretty much still linear maybe not so as much with the huge maps but still. i also have some problems with the ai. like the ai is rlly smart whern your fighting them, they take cover n stuff, but the enemies always seems to know where you are, which is just retarded, i Awesome game, but its so damn noob friendly..... and i thought this was supposed to focus on "non linear" gameplay , its pretty much still linear maybe not so as much with the huge maps but still. i also have some problems with the ai. like the ai is rlly smart whern your fighting them, they take cover n stuff, but the enemies always seems to know where you are, which is just retarded, i want the ai to be like fear, where they search the area for you and u can sneak up on them and stuff that adds a whole new level of tension. Expand
  87. Mark
    Oct 16, 2007
    Excellent. As part of the Orange Box this is an exceptional value. Episode Two picks up right where Ep 1 left off. No new real weapons, but the story really moves in this chapter, as does the character development. While not a sappy love story, the connection between Gordon and Alex grows, but never does the action completely stop. Final battle will make you heave a sigh of relief when Excellent. As part of the Orange Box this is an exceptional value. Episode Two picks up right where Ep 1 left off. No new real weapons, but the story really moves in this chapter, as does the character development. While not a sappy love story, the connection between Gordon and Alex grows, but never does the action completely stop. Final battle will make you heave a sigh of relief when you finish it. Anyone that plays this through can only think one thing; "Bring on Episode 3". Expand
  88. AlexD.
    Oct 19, 2007
    One of the most compelling and driving stories i have played in an FPS In a long, long time.
  89. MalK.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Had everything, scenery, fast cars,emotion, striders, striders, striders.
  90. ArjanK.
    Oct 23, 2007
    I have bought Half Life 2 Ep 2 last weekend, and have been playing it ever since. And everything, the graphics, the scenery, the enemy's, the action, just everything is so awesome, it doesn't deserve less than a 10 in my opion.
  91. ChrisH.
    Oct 20, 2007
    A sublime game introducing some great and difficult new enemies. Replayability from the achievements. This game is a visual treat - you have to have a good look around, when the action lets you, to see what a delight the graphics are. Bring on Episode 3 and quickly.
  92. SheaL.
    Oct 24, 2007
    It was a great addition to the episodic series. Nice graphic improvements and effects. The new environmental feel was great for this episode.
  93. TomH.
    Dec 8, 2007
    Whilst the story and graphics were great, I found there were often frame rate slow ups and that the gameplay was getting old and slightly repetitive. Why is it that valve always have really repetitive final set pieces at the end of each episode, like moving the refugees in episode 1 and fighting the striders in episode 2. I found COD4 to do better on variety of gameplay. Still I did find Whilst the story and graphics were great, I found there were often frame rate slow ups and that the gameplay was getting old and slightly repetitive. Why is it that valve always have really repetitive final set pieces at the end of each episode, like moving the refugees in episode 1 and fighting the striders in episode 2. I found COD4 to do better on variety of gameplay. Still I did find the that the NPC characters were interesting and emotionally engaging. Expand
  94. JohannK.
    Oct 31, 2007
    Very nice game.. i loved playing even though it was a short 8-12 hours (over a span of 2 weeks). i loved the story starting from HL:1 all the way to HL:2 EP2. can't wait for HL:2 EP3. Best storyline ever!
  95. ZachD.
    Oct 31, 2007
    From the original Half-Life to all of its expansions it continued to develop an enticing world that we all grew to know and love. With the release of Half-Life 2 i among other other gamers were stunned by the visuals and physics that were introduced. It wasn't just the graphics that sold me to buy the game, it was the further adventures of Gordon Freeman. Playing through the series From the original Half-Life to all of its expansions it continued to develop an enticing world that we all grew to know and love. With the release of Half-Life 2 i among other other gamers were stunned by the visuals and physics that were introduced. It wasn't just the graphics that sold me to buy the game, it was the further adventures of Gordon Freeman. Playing through the series of HL2 left me filled with emotion. Valve has really out done themselves with this epic series and I look forward to playing Episode 3 when it comes out! Expand
  96. mathispotier
    Jan 12, 2008
    il y a beaucoup de succes dans HL2 : episode 2 l'histoire est plus émouvante , et elle joue surtout un tres grand role dans l'histoire qui montre la mort d'un personnage que je ne citerais pas pour ne pas le dire devant ceux qui n'ont pas encore vu ... et je leurs souhaite de ne pas rater ça ( text in french )
  97. TeemuS.
    Jan 10, 2008
    Definitely the best part of whole HL2 -series, visually enjoyable and realistic, good mapdesing. Good sense of humour and drama. Do we really need DX10?
  98. JamesT.
    Jan 19, 2008
    I had an amazing time playing this. The fast paced gameplay was complimented with a superb story, and there was a true feeling of panic whenever a hunter appeared.
  99. SaintNoobWut
    Dec 31, 2008
    I quite liked this, but the graphics, especially the blood and some body light, were over done. The blood exploded rather than stick to the walls and other surfaces. Also, half the time seeing Alyx, I got quite annoyed with a somewhat glowing face. Some of the levels were a bit confusing for me, (the antlion tunnel one) were some places, even after 5 mins of looking, seemed to be a place I quite liked this, but the graphics, especially the blood and some body light, were over done. The blood exploded rather than stick to the walls and other surfaces. Also, half the time seeing Alyx, I got quite annoyed with a somewhat glowing face. Some of the levels were a bit confusing for me, (the antlion tunnel one) were some places, even after 5 mins of looking, seemed to be a place half hidden. Though apart from that, I like the fact Valve added some new stuff, but also, the lack of new stuff to. Expand
  100. StephenM.
    Jan 3, 2008
    Best game I've EVER played. Utterly brilliant digital acting, stunning setpieces, eyepopping visuals and superb action sequences!

Any way you look at it, Episode Two stands out, even among the Half-Life series, as something special. It may be shorter than the original, but it's a burly experience packed into roughly six hours or so that offers up all the diversity, level design, and thoughtful gameplay we've known while making sure to propel the story forward and leave us wanting more.
  2. More great story blended with improved AI and better firefights. It's starting to retread old ground though.
  3. Episode Two is the most sumptuous chapter of the Half-Life saga, and by a country mile. It's as if Valve's tech and art teams are trying to outdo each other: the Source engine has had a striking technical overhaul that renders textures, materials and curves uncannily well, and the artists clearly relish having a fresh palette to work with.