Half-Life 2: Episode Two PC

9.2

Universal acclaim- based on 1955 Ratings

1. Aug 12, 2017
    Valve were back on form for Episode Two. Vastly different environments than we'd seen before, much more open-ended while still sticking to a tightly focused linear design, and it's honestly some of Valve's finest. Interesting new enemies and situations, great progression of the story (including an ending that made me cry) and much more creativity than Episode One. It's fortunate that thisValve were back on form for Episode Two. Vastly different environments than we'd seen before, much more open-ended while still sticking to a tightly focused linear design, and it's honestly some of Valve's finest. Interesting new enemies and situations, great progression of the story (including an ending that made me cry) and much more creativity than Episode One. It's fortunate that this was so good, because it was unintentionally the last Episode, and possibly the last Half-Life game ever.

Looking back almost 10 years later, at least it went out with a bang, not a whimper. The gameplay, the world, the level design, is all Half-Life at its finest. It's just a shame there are so many intriguing questions raised during this episode, that we may never have answers to.
  2. Jun 3, 2017
    HALF-LIFE SAGA ENDS HERE. 1998-2007. R.I.P.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Half-Life series. FOREVER. But VALVE....Where is my, our, 3?

THREEEEEEEEEEEE?

Give us episode series at least 3, 4, 5, 6 and then give us Half-Life 3. And more. With PERFECTION in every aspects. Then maybe we will forgive you guys. Maybe....

...PLZ.
  3. Mar 26, 2017
    J'allais dire que le final de cet épisode deux est spectaculaire et superbement géré mais c'est sans compter la véritable conclusion qui n'en est pas une et qui laisse sévèrement sur sa faim quant à la finalité et la fin de l'histoire... on reste donc interloqué alors que le générique défile comme devant un putain d'épisode d'X-Files... foutage de gueule ! Court mais concentré il resteJ'allais dire que le final de cet épisode deux est spectaculaire et superbement géré mais c'est sans compter la véritable conclusion qui n'en est pas une et qui laisse sévèrement sur sa faim quant à la finalité et la fin de l'histoire... on reste donc interloqué alors que le générique défile comme devant un putain d'épisode d'X-Files... foutage de gueule ! Court mais concentré il reste tout de même intéressant et bien mis en scène même si on fatigue un peu d'HL2... même Valve s'en est rendu compte. Expand
  4. Dec 17, 2016
    Крайне драйвовый и эпичный эпизод. Проходится на одном дыхании, экшен держит от начала и до конца, куча интересных игровых ситуаций, а эта концовка...
    Лучший эпизод из двух.
  5. Nov 20, 2016
    Better than previous episode, longer, more intense, new enemies, splendid locations, touching ending. I'm really astonished about realistic facial expressions. Still waiting for a final.
  6. Oct 18, 2016
    When I finished this game, I cried for more. But sadly, I'm probably not going to see more of these. WHY VALVE? Just don't leave us with a cliffhanger!
  7. Jul 5, 2016
    Another masterpiece Valve has created in their franchise! More epic storyline, more compelling moments, and more plain awesome fun! But this can't be the final Half-Life game! Where are you Episode 3!? How can this game franchise end with such a major unsolved story plot, and a whole new adventure waiting! But keep praying that the defining day in video game history will come whenAnother masterpiece Valve has created in their franchise! More epic storyline, more compelling moments, and more plain awesome fun! But this can't be the final Half-Life game! Where are you Episode 3!? How can this game franchise end with such a major unsolved story plot, and a whole new adventure waiting! But keep praying that the defining day in video game history will come when Half-Life: Episode 3 is released! But still all the games are memorable and awesome in their own right! Expand
  8. Oct 14, 2015
    This is my favorite of the entire series. Things can't get better!

When I thought Episode 1 was okay with only memorable gameplay mechanics, Episode 2 sets the series on the track again with a highly engaging story, new environments and the most fun/difficult boss fights of the series that forces the players to come up with a strategy. Unlike Episode 1, the story progression is
    This is my favorite of the entire series. Things can't get better!

Unlike Episode 1, the story progression is extremely rich. There are moments which you totally don't see coming. It put me in great emotional stress in the first quarter of the game. The tension was so thick, I was sick worried!

The thing that I missed the most in Half Life 2 is covered by the episodes: teaming up with Alyx. Alyx is with us only for a brief time in HL2. Episode 1's lack of story is up for by this element. But now, not only is Alyx with us the entire time, but we experience a series of great plot twists and amazing story development with her. Seeing her reactions, her pain, her suffering almost becomes our own!

It seems as if Valve is learning! The boss fights are extremely smart and engaging. One of Half Life's (the whole series') strength's is that it does tell the player through exposition what he/she has to do in a certain situation or in a boss fight. The player has to learn this just by observing the environment like the architecture, the position of barrels, etc. Episode 2 makes the most brilliant use of this, even better than Half Life 2.

This is most definitely my favorite game of all time to date. Please Valve, give us the next part. The cliffhanger's really killing me.
  9. Oct 2, 2015
    It was near hitting a 9/10 but the pain in the ass final boss, ITS ANNOYING AS **** It still has good acting, good writing, good story, and great gameplay to have fun with. Just buy this game when it was a low price.
  10. Jun 10, 2015
    Even though i played it first 7 years after its initial release, i enjoyed the game thoroughly due to its beautiful marrying of story-telling and pacing. Sounds simple, but most games (almost all) miss this masterful harmony in their gameplay. Half-Life 2: Episode 2 does not let you rest until you finish it - always on the brink, always hurried on, always on the move, and always insideEven though i played it first 7 years after its initial release, i enjoyed the game thoroughly due to its beautiful marrying of story-telling and pacing. Sounds simple, but most games (almost all) miss this masterful harmony in their gameplay. Half-Life 2: Episode 2 does not let you rest until you finish it - always on the brink, always hurried on, always on the move, and always inside the story - i as a player loved the experience. Expand
  11. May 25, 2015
    Despite that Episode One was really nice, it was clear that it was not the best part of the journey. Episode Two is definitely nicer than Episode One, in every aspect, also because it is in this chapter that really puts an end to the story of Half-Life 2. The story was great, and the ending is really one of the best moments in the history of video games. An ending from which we expect aDespite that Episode One was really nice, it was clear that it was not the best part of the journey. Episode Two is definitely nicer than Episode One, in every aspect, also because it is in this chapter that really puts an end to the story of Half-Life 2. The story was great, and the ending is really one of the best moments in the history of video games. An ending from which we expect a sequel since a very long time now, in which I personally still have not lost hope, no matter how tough. Expand
  12. May 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All together roughly 4 hours worth of gameplay included in Episode Two. Every minute building on the amazing story that ended in the first episode. Through out ep2 there were more intense moments like the elevator event in ep1. Now I join the long list of people who really love Half-Life and are waiting for Episode 3 or Half-Life 3. Maybe some day soon we can get to the end of the story with the trusty crowbar. I did run into a few sound problems of mostly sounds playing in a loop when they shoulden't. When in a vehicle and have half in water, it makes a constant splash sound as it makes entering in water for the first time. Expand
  13. Mar 28, 2015
    It's absolutely amazing. More detail was put into everything against Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2 Episode: 1, combined. The physics are better, the story is better well written, for an episode, and it's more of a challenge. For even today, for 2007 graphics you still can't help but be indulged into this world that was crafted by Valve. Now I will stand here and wait patiently for episodeIt's absolutely amazing. More detail was put into everything against Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2 Episode: 1, combined. The physics are better, the story is better well written, for an episode, and it's more of a challenge. For even today, for 2007 graphics you still can't help but be indulged into this world that was crafted by Valve. Now I will stand here and wait patiently for episode 3..... I mean, how long can it take to develop? Expand
  14. Feb 8, 2015
    Excellent game, substantially different than the previous Half-Life games so it's not repetitive like many episodic games out there, excellent AI, graphics, storyline for the time.
  15. Jan 6, 2015
    Valve once again knocks it out of the park with this game. It's just as good as the other half lifes, and offers the same superb storytelling and action that was in the previous 2. It also picks up nicely from HL2e1, and continues the story very well.
  16. Jan 5, 2015
    I played a total of seven hours into this and completed it, But two of those hours was dealing with crashing/freezing at main menu and in the middle of gaming , subtitle glitches, Character model glitches, texture glitches and many more. This Episode does have good Levels and memorable moments and a good set off for Half-Life 3, But the Glitches destroyed this for me.
  17. Jan 2, 2015
    Half Life 2 Episode Two is the second episode of Half Life 2, published and developed by Valve Corporation. The game happens right after Episode one, following the path of Gordon and Alyx lu the White Forest base Lambada resistance. They are destroying the organization Combine Citadel used to open a portal, they hope to send a portal to invade. The game is better than Episode One, more andHalf Life 2 Episode Two is the second episode of Half Life 2, published and developed by Valve Corporation. The game happens right after Episode one, following the path of Gordon and Alyx lu the White Forest base Lambada resistance. They are destroying the organization Combine Citadel used to open a portal, they hope to send a portal to invade. The game is better than Episode One, more and more content and events like another atmosphere. I guess now I'll be one of those and I'll cry all forums, want Half Life 3. Expand
  18. Sep 23, 2014
    A great expansion to half life 2. The story in this one is great and is better than episode 1's, combat is pretty much the same but thats good. I recommend getting this if you liked Half life 2.
  19. Mar 12, 2014
    I think the first two chapters are a little bit worse than the rest, because it has little variety in environment and enemies. I also thought that the last big combine attack would be more spectacular. Everything else is excellent (story, characters, enemies, weapons, ...)!
  20. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 8 out of 10, Graphics: 9 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 9 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10, Length: 4 out of 10, Re-play: 3 out of 10, Value: 7 out of 10
  21. Jwv
    Jan 9, 2014
    Does a great job of improving over the already genius Half-Life 2 formula. New weapons, new puzzles, new game mechanics (the use of your flashlight), new cool enemies, a great story and absolutely magnificent locations and events (cf. the hunter-trap in the shed). Way better than Episode One.
  22. Dec 24, 2013
    Excellent, one of most exiting games ever, from the beginning to the end is a master piece. All in this game is designed to make us fall in the story, feel what Gordon Freeman feels, that's hard to get, but Valve did it with this game, congrats, and if you haven't played the half life saga let's do it right now! is one of the best video games ever created.
  23. Dec 9, 2013
    This episode has very good game play and story, but it is way too short. I really hoped for longer episode than the first and its 4 hours long. On the other hand i think this episode had better story and game play than episode 1.
  24. Nov 2, 2013
    Like HL2 in core mechanics, but better overall, in my opinion. The rebels feel full of life, rather than just tools to use in killing the combine. They have important parts in the story, conversations, and generally just feel more like real people. The final boss was incredibly challenging, but not impossible, as the game teaches you exactly what to do. Just how a final boss should be.Like HL2 in core mechanics, but better overall, in my opinion. The rebels feel full of life, rather than just tools to use in killing the combine. They have important parts in the story, conversations, and generally just feel more like real people. The final boss was incredibly challenging, but not impossible, as the game teaches you exactly what to do. Just how a final boss should be. There's comic relief here and there to pep up the dark atmosphere. The G-Man is as mysterious as ever. There's exploration. This game is fantastic. Expand
  25. Oct 21, 2013
    This is personally one of my favorite games. I can't wait for 3, much like a lot of people. Game was shorter than it should be but gets the story across. 10/10.
  26. Oct 1, 2013
    This episode was better than the first episode. In this episodes, there was so much story development, a decent lengthen game, and the same great gameplay from HL2. This sets up perfect for Half-Life 3, whenever Valve decides to make it.
  27. Aug 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't find a single thing wrong with this game, squad AI is dramatically improved from the original Half Life 2, it has more story, and I didn't even think that was possible. More characters, great voice acting, amazing emotions towards the characters, hell, I even cried a little at the end. Great weapons, graphics sounds, the list goes on. This game deserves nothing less than a 9. So go out and buy the series on Steam and enjoy your life. All I have to is... I WANT HALF LIFE 3!!! Expand
  28. Aug 8, 2013
    So, it's simply Half Life 2 with 2 new (great) enemies.
    I finish it in 5 hours (hard mode).
    Epic moment but the same thing than Half Life 2.
    And I ask to fans The game of the decade Really ?
    Yes Episode 2 is like HL2 a good game but the best game ever Certainly not (for me)
  29. Jul 11, 2013
    Silly hunters! While half life 2 had some minor flaws in the pacing (specifically in chapters like Root Kanal and Water Hazard) i think this game was paced perfectly and beautifully. The original HL and HL2 were challenging but, this game is also pretty challenging. And the ending battle with mini striders and striders was just magnificent. Still waiting on episode 3...
  30. Jul 1, 2013
    I gave HL2 a 9 because it's one of my favourite games of all time, but I gave Episode 2 a 7 becouse it doesn't carry the greatness of HL2 and it's even less fun and just as short (or even shorter) as Episode 1. i'm not saying it's bad, just saying it's not as good as HL2.
  31. AWG
    Jun 7, 2013
    Perfect. Just perfect. Episode Two has not a friggin' single flaw. This game is pure awesomeness from the beginning to the very last scene.
    Just... wow.
  32. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Nice told with Alyx

Nice told with Alyx

HALF-LIFE 2 EPISODE 2 starts immediately where Half-Life 2 Episode 1 ended. Gordon Freeman and Alyx Vance must continue their fight, alongside the resistance, against the evil Combine. After the ever so slightly below par Episode 1, Episode 2 is a real return to form. Everything that was so good about HL2 is developed here and made even better. The narrative arc is strong, the dialogue well-written and witty, the voice acting accomplished and convincing, the environments spectacular and varied, and the mix between puzzle solving and combat just right. We meet several new enemies and some of the combat is pretty challenging, especially the final battle which is big on scale and mayhem and requires real strategy to complete. It’s a tough finale but well worth the effort. There’s so much to enjoy in the whole Half-Life series I can’t recommend these games enough.
  33. May 3, 2013
    Once again, a new episode in the Half-Life saga is here.

The plot in the Episode Two continues right after the ending of Episode One, and features more characters and even more locations. The action is set as a desperate stab to stop the combine forces. After Citadel's explosion, there's been created a massive super portal, but not at is maximum capacity, and you must stop it from
    Once again, a new episode in the Half-Life saga is here.

The action is set as a desperate stab to stop the combine forces.

After Citadel's explosion, there's been created a massive super portal, but not at is maximum capacity, and you must stop it from fully opening.

In the journey you'll find new characters, both friendly and enemies, such as Acid Antlion Worker, Antlion Guardian, the hot new addition from Episode One, Zombines, Combine Hunters, and you'll have your first face-to-face(but not a duel) with the Advisors.

Half-Life Universe is one of the richest Sci-Fi worlds ever created, and feels the closest universe after an Alien Invasion.

Episode 2 features brand new locations, new vehicles such as the Muscle Car.

In game play terms, well, the game still feels and plays like an Half-Life game, with many changes, such as more drama an tensioned conflicts, suspense, and a really great experience, in visual terms the things are even better as well. As the Episode One did, the new episode comes with a greatly updated engine, featuring updated High Dynamic Range Lightning( HDR Short), brand new shaders, particle effects, an physics.

Like the previous Half-Life 2s, Episode Two contains Achievements, which are a welcome thing, for all type of players, from hard to easy, from newbies to professionals, and even more puzzles.

Episode Two has everything needed for an sequel, by adding important and great things, and not making the game too different to it's roots, and like the previous Half-Life games, it's a must-own.
  34. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic second expansion to one of the greatest games of all time. My reviews are usually pretty long but I'm going to try to keep this one short. The level design, as with Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 is once again top notch. But for me this time it was actually surpassed by the story. Though I've always thought Half-Life's story was excellent, this game surpassed previous titles with 2 gut-wrenching scenes where I literally just paused the game, set my headphones down, stared at the computer screen in shock and shed a couple tears. The emotions in this game are so intense after spending so much time with these characters in the past 2 titles... I just... I just... gah. I really hope Half-Life 3 comes soon. Expand
  35. Jan 3, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece of its time. Excellent pacing. something games from all future generations can look back too. While I have enjoyed this one extremely, i still can't help but feel it lacks something. I have given it a 10, because, try as i might i can not think of what it is lacking. So, i am just guessing it is a proper ending, which will hopefully be in the next episode/game. CurseTruly a masterpiece of its time. Excellent pacing. something games from all future generations can look back too. While I have enjoyed this one extremely, i still can't help but feel it lacks something. I have given it a 10, because, try as i might i can not think of what it is lacking. So, i am just guessing it is a proper ending, which will hopefully be in the next episode/game. Curse valve and their epic cliffhanger. Expand
  36. Dec 16, 2012
    Half-Life 2 is a great FPS game and liking the game I decided to play the episodes one and two. Episode 1 was good but really short and a bit boring, but this episode was interesting and fun. A ending surprising me and I like that. It also can be a bit a chalenge at times so if you like a easy time play on easy difficulty. A 6-8 hour campaign making it a decent length long. Overall veryHalf-Life 2 is a great FPS game and liking the game I decided to play the episodes one and two. Episode 1 was good but really short and a bit boring, but this episode was interesting and fun. A ending surprising me and I like that. It also can be a bit a chalenge at times so if you like a easy time play on easy difficulty. A 6-8 hour campaign making it a decent length long. Overall very fun but still the exat same with guns and stuff. Half-Life 2: Episode two 8.7/0 Expand
  37. Dec 13, 2012
    This is the "Empire Strikes Back" of the Half-Life 2 saga. New enemies, a gripping storyline, creative level design, and fantastic new music and sfx all come together to wrap up the events of the Citadel. It's a shame that they have seemed to drop the ball on episode 3 because it ends on a bit of a "to be continued..." cliffhanger and would be a great segway into HL3. I would rank thisThis is the "Empire Strikes Back" of the Half-Life 2 saga. New enemies, a gripping storyline, creative level design, and fantastic new music and sfx all come together to wrap up the events of the Citadel. It's a shame that they have seemed to drop the ball on episode 3 because it ends on a bit of a "to be continued..." cliffhanger and would be a great segway into HL3. I would rank this higher than HL2 if it weren't so short just because of how tightly tuned everything is in this episode. Expand
  38. Oct 23, 2012
    Half Life 2: Episode Two has the best gameplay in any Half Life Game by far. And there have been some pretty decent games in the series. The cliffhanger ending was amazing. The action was mostly enjoyable. The puzzles were as good as ever. There's just one thing stopping me from giving it a 10, and that's the length of the game. The game could've easily gone on for another few hours
  39. Sep 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The plot is astonishing. The death of Eli Vance really surprised me the first time I finished it : you just fight off many waves of striders, and before you can even catch your breath, a dramatic cut-scene occurs. Besides, the game as good as the other prequels. I don't even know what would be PC gaming without the Half Life series... I'm looking forward to the third episode. Expand
  40. Aug 6, 2012
    WOW. The first thing that blows my mind is the graphics. When i first played this, I literally stopped moving and all I could do was just look at how good the graphics are. For a 2007 game, holy **** brilliantly done Valve. The gameplay in this episode is intoxicating. The difficulty is FINALLY perfected in this game, with a constant challenge throughout the entire game (or at least enoughWOW. The first thing that blows my mind is the graphics. When i first played this, I literally stopped moving and all I could do was just look at how good the graphics are. For a 2007 game, holy **** brilliantly done Valve. The gameplay in this episode is intoxicating. The difficulty is FINALLY perfected in this game, with a constant challenge throughout the entire game (or at least enough interest to keep you going), and only one section where the difficulty really spikes. And hOLY **** the music. Valve really knows where to put music in a video game, and when. The placement of the music brilliantly sets the tone for the gameplay. I don't think I have ever played a game with better music than this game. I feel like Valve physically read my mind about what I wanted there to be in Ep. 2, and they delivered. HUGE HUGE changes in this game. The gameplay is radically different, where Ep. 1 is focused mainly on combat, in Ep. 2, combat is much more spread out and it's mostly about navigating and trying to find your way. If you zoom out and look at the game layout, you'll see that it's pretty linear, but it does NOT feel that way in anyway. You're doing all sort of things, holding off attacks, investigating buildings, outrunning choppers, destroying enemy positions, and finding secret caches. The game will switch from exploration, to fierce combat, instantaneously. You will NEVER EVER know what will happen next. The length of the game is astounding, for such a level of intensity. It is easily twice as long as ep. 1, and nearly 3x as interesting. You will not want to put this game down. However, the difficulty is STILL not perfected, and some encounters may cause your health to quickly diminish. The first time I played this, there was a part that I simply could not beat because my health was just simply too low, so I had to go back several saves, which was extremely aggravating, and even then, I STILL had enormous difficulty with the fight. My second time through the game however, I had not trouble at all. Overall, this is a masterpiece video game, and is far superior to ep. 1, and quite possibly, Half-Life 2 itself. Expand
  41. Jun 18, 2012
    Valve will never cease to amaze me... and will never cease to take my money for its amazing games. This game is the second part to Half-Life 2: Episode 1. The story is continued and the graphics are the same as the first half. definitely worth buying like always.
  42. Jun 12, 2012
    Continuing the story in the episode more entertaining and varied situations, including the return of the vehicles that were absent in Episode 1. Again few innovations, such as a purely technical new particle system (Which makes the game really attractive in certain places) and improvements in the shadow system. The story is once again the strength and where more progress is such that itContinuing the story in the episode more entertaining and varied situations, including the return of the vehicles that were absent in Episode 1. Again few innovations, such as a purely technical new particle system (Which makes the game really attractive in certain places) and improvements in the shadow system. The story is once again the strength and where more progress is such that it does the Half-Life far more compelling, therefore those who bought the above have a purchase insured, and those who do not have a spectacular FPS before their hands that should not stop. Expand
  43. Jun 6, 2012
    Episode one felt like a bit of a rushed out effort from Valve, only really wallowing the the success of HL2. Episode 2 one the other hand feels much stronger than the previous episode. It starts off a bit rocky bit quickly evolves into another Valve masterpiece which improves on episode one. The story is better, the gameplay mix is better and I feel Vlave pushed the envelope a little more.Episode one felt like a bit of a rushed out effort from Valve, only really wallowing the the success of HL2. Episode 2 one the other hand feels much stronger than the previous episode. It starts off a bit rocky bit quickly evolves into another Valve masterpiece which improves on episode one. The story is better, the gameplay mix is better and I feel Vlave pushed the envelope a little more. So sit down and enjoy before thinking when the heck they're gonna release Episode Three after five flipping years! Expand
  44. Jun 6, 2012
    Fantastic addition to the series and really cannot wait for the next instalment. The time spent in the Half-Life 2 series has been the most fun I have ever had in a game and I continue to replay from time to time reliving the great moments that make the Half-Life story what it is.
  45. May 14, 2012
    I feel obligated to finish this game - this is why I won't give a 10. But the gameplay is still amazing as ever! So don't let this down... go finish the series like a true Half-Life fan!
  46. Feb 3, 2012
    It's utterly amazing how Valve made Half-Life 2 : Episode Two. A brilliant storyline, the best gameplay in a Half-Life game - ever. An often funny, often sad storyline that amazes me. Half-Life 2 : Episode Two is a must buy. It's a game that you will never regret buying. Fantastic voice acting work from Merle Dandridge - as always. Also brilliant performances from Hal Robins, RobertIt's utterly amazing how Valve made Half-Life 2 : Episode Two. A brilliant storyline, the best gameplay in a Half-Life game - ever. An often funny, often sad storyline that amazes me. Half-Life 2 : Episode Two is a must buy. It's a game that you will never regret buying. Fantastic voice acting work from Merle Dandridge - as always. Also brilliant performances from Hal Robins, Robert Guillaume and so many more (Including a "friend" of mine, John Patrick Lowrie, and his wife Ellen McLain) I cannot in any way fault the brilliant gameplay, voice acting, soundtrack or storyline. Honestly. You can also look forward to epic fight scenes which I absolutely love. They're a challenge, but when you finish them - you feel like Gordon Freeman. The one free man. Expand
  47. Jan 20, 2012
    Better than episode 1 and also slightly longer. When combined with the orange box package this is definietly a must have, as is the whole half life series (HL1 Expansions excluded, maybe).
  48. Jan 8, 2012
    Awesome game. Loses 1 point for play value as there's little reason to play more than the time to beat it and one point for my problem with the entire HL series: the game is VERY linear you follow ONE specific path throughout the game -- there is little exploration and no two ways of doing things. If you can put this aside, it's a great FPS game that takes you on a ride (note: you areAwesome game. Loses 1 point for play value as there's little reason to play more than the time to beat it and one point for my problem with the entire HL series: the game is VERY linear you follow ONE specific path throughout the game -- there is little exploration and no two ways of doing things. If you can put this aside, it's a great FPS game that takes you on a ride (note: you are very much on a ride, not influencing what happens in any way). I played HL2 + episodes 1&2, and certainly rate episode two higher than the others, if you have not played HL before, it's fine to start here; if you've played any previous HL, it just gets better here, it's cool to see the Valve team refine their skills throughout the series.. Episode two is a fun ride that packs everything into ~6hrs of non-stop gameplay. Expand
  49. Jan 3, 2012
    There needs to be a medal for three of this game's achievements, which is my only real complaint. It's HL2, but more more more and, well, more! They kept their precise pacing, absorbing story, enveloping atmosphere, adrenalin-pumped combat, and there's a driving section that, when coupled with one of the aforementioned achievements, becomes the toughest test for any hardcore PC gamer orThere needs to be a medal for three of this game's achievements, which is my only real complaint. It's HL2, but more more more and, well, more! They kept their precise pacing, absorbing story, enveloping atmosphere, adrenalin-pumped combat, and there's a driving section that, when coupled with one of the aforementioned achievements, becomes the toughest test for any hardcore PC gamer or achievement hunter. Good luck. Now did you get all the bugs? Expand
  50. Jan 1, 2012
    The overall package of this addon is pretty good, Valve quality from beginning to end. No experiments, nothing too fancy, valve just kept on telling their story further and delivered more of what has already proven as very good.
  51. Dec 22, 2011
    Great game that stays more true to HL2 than episode one. The length is not too bad either. It would have been cool if they had added in another gun or something but it's still enjoyable and you can pick it up practically for free on Steam in sales. In fact I did get a free copy from Steam.
  52. Dec 20, 2011
    HL2 episode 2 picks up from where episode 1 left off and introduces new sort of areas to the series. Episode 2 mostly takes places in cavern and rural areas as opposed the city. Apart from that, it doesn't offer any other new elements to the basic gameplay or the feel of the game, so most stuff is pretty much the same and holds up to a very high standard set by HL2 and HL2 ep 1. Some newHL2 episode 2 picks up from where episode 1 left off and introduces new sort of areas to the series. Episode 2 mostly takes places in cavern and rural areas as opposed the city. Apart from that, it doesn't offer any other new elements to the basic gameplay or the feel of the game, so most stuff is pretty much the same and holds up to a very high standard set by HL2 and HL2 ep 1. Some new additions are a new type of enemy, the Hunters, and also the final battle opens up an additional use for the Gravity Gun, which is pretty fun. There were some action scenes which were incredibly epic and I'd say perhaps some of the best and most intense gunfights I've ever witnessed in a video game (like the defence against antlion waves, first ever gunfight with the hunters, and the inn scene). Episode 2 is significantly longer than episode 1, but is still only about half the length of the original HL2, so should take approximately 6 hours of total playtime. The game ends on a very sharp note, pretty much a cliffhanger I'd say, and so it's highly likely the story will continue in episode 3. However episode 3 is still unheard of. Expand
  53. Nov 17, 2011
    This is a must-buy expansion for people who liked Half-Life 2. The story keeps unfolding without any plot twists that would alienate fans. The first part of EP2 is full of action, though it is undeniably corridor-to-corridor linear. The second part does what Half-Life 2 does best - Mixing action, puzzles, and scripting. In case you need to understand how it works, let me share anThis is a must-buy expansion for people who liked Half-Life 2. The story keeps unfolding without any plot twists that would alienate fans. The first part of EP2 is full of action, though it is undeniably corridor-to-corridor linear. The second part does what Half-Life 2 does best - Mixing action, puzzles, and scripting. In case you need to understand how it works, let me share an experience. The Combine raided a missile silo, and I need to shut the doors in order to prevent any more Combine from entering in. Unfortunately, at the switch, they set up a turret. I sprint past the turret, leaving me with 90 health. I then grab my crossbow, move a bit from my cover, and snipe the soldier's head. To my dismay there is another Combine, and he manages to shoot me . I escape, but now I have 3 health. I see a health pack, but in order to grab it I need to get out of cover again. I instead push it off using a nearby box and the gravity gun, and drag it over to gain some more health. I then use the box to hide my presence while I sneak to another room. I take out a Combine there, and then open the door, shotgun in hand, and blast that last guy. I shut the door, but I use the turret to fend off all other invaders. THE REASON WHY IT DOESN'T HAVE A 10 IS BECAUSE OF THE ENDING. No, unlike most games, it's not a plot twist that is disappointing. It's just so annoying, and the AI doesn't help either. Expand
  54. Nov 17, 2011
    The Half-Life series is awesome. Great soundtrack, great gameplay, good graphics (for their time), and jaw-droppingly good story. Much better than modern trashy FPS titles. Despite the fact that some of the "comedic relief" - as many call it - somewhat diminished the otherwise intriguing atmosphere of the Half-Life series, I can't help but emphasize once again that it is still much betterThe Half-Life series is awesome. Great soundtrack, great gameplay, good graphics (for their time), and jaw-droppingly good story. Much better than modern trashy FPS titles. Despite the fact that some of the "comedic relief" - as many call it - somewhat diminished the otherwise intriguing atmosphere of the Half-Life series, I can't help but emphasize once again that it is still much better than modern trashy FPS titles. The Half-Life saga is pretty amazing. Give it a try. Expand
  55. Nov 11, 2011
    The 2nd episode of the HL 2 series. Amazing. The story can be putted in a movie, i felt so inside of Freeman that i got so emotions several times and the environment it simply the best. Everything improved alot from Ep.1 ofering lots of content and very good puzzles. The end was sad thought and frustrating to me. Im hopping that Valve finishes this game to see what happens to Alyx andThe 2nd episode of the HL 2 series. Amazing. The story can be putted in a movie, i felt so inside of Freeman that i got so emotions several times and the environment it simply the best. Everything improved alot from Ep.1 ofering lots of content and very good puzzles. The end was sad thought and frustrating to me. Im hopping that Valve finishes this game to see what happens to Alyx and Freeman, i wish they get married :P Expand
  56. Oct 26, 2011
    If you are a fan of shooting and not-too-hard physics puzzles with tons of variety and a great and compelling story, look no further as EP2 really delivers on its promise to provide a much longer play length than the terribly short EP1 and a welcome change in environment and feel from the urban areas of HL2 and EP1. However even though it is twice as long as Episode 1 I do recommendIf you are a fan of shooting and not-too-hard physics puzzles with tons of variety and a great and compelling story, look no further as EP2 really delivers on its promise to provide a much longer play length than the terribly short EP1 and a welcome change in environment and feel from the urban areas of HL2 and EP1. However even though it is twice as long as Episode 1 I do recommend getting it as part of the HL pack, The Orange box or on special, as it is still only around six to eight hours depending on how good you are and your play-style. Expand
  57. Sep 29, 2011
    The gameplay and story pick up in this one, but carrying that stupid gnome through the whole game is a bugger. Still, it's a good game in its own merit, with great level design as usual. Worth playing even if you haven't played HL2 or Ep. 1.
  58. Sep 26, 2011
    Half Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other scienceHalf Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other science fiction, it's not as original as many claim. Half Life 2 has awesome graphics, innovative physics, game play, fabulously designed levels and game moments but my point is that it shows how lacking and unoriginal the rest of the industry is - that many would claim Half Life 2 to be better than it actually is. If Half Life 2 is the best there is in single player gaming - then video games truely are lacking... HL2 is still a real achievement and Valve has something to be proud of.â Expand
  59. Aug 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Valve continuous to impress with this spectacu..................... Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever. Expand
  60. Aug 15, 2011
    All I can say after finishing this game is.... WOW!!! Every single thing about it left my jaw hung open! Valve has impressed me yet again with their awesome ability to make such a great storyline, and with their limitless source engine. The ONLY problem i have with this game is that it is a little bit too short. Still, 10/10. I just wish that my jaw could have hung open just a little bit longer.
  61. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    Episode Two took all of Episode One's flaws into account and returned to the level of the original game. Instead of the cramped Citadel, the setting is placed among wide open forests and eerie caves. The Hunters are some of the toughest enemies you will ever face (with a surprising weak spot). And the final battle is one of the most challenging and (when completed) satisfying of the series.
  62. Jul 5, 2011
    well what can i say, each episode is better than the next that's because its like a story in a book that ends leaving you waiting for the next episode to come out. this game has great mechanics, a story that keeps you on edge, Weapons that need to be used accordingly, and a story that just sucks you right in. Good job Valve you haven't made a bad game yet at least not that i can recall.
  63. May 1, 2011
    This is a game as only VALVe can deliver. Buy it.
  64. Apr 27, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = This add on is YET ANOTHER masterful game from the makers of Half life and Portal. You guys are too damn smart.
  65. Apr 4, 2011
    Gameplay - 9.5 , Graphics - 8.5 , Story - 9.0 , Playing time - 6~8 hours. I would be perfect if the graphics had lived up to the standard of Half-Life 2.
  66. Mar 26, 2011
    A very good game! A variety of characters, enemies, weapons, and environments to come across in this game. The story line is amazing, you play as Gordon Freeman who was in the original Half - life( which was amazing too) and was in Half life episode one, and half life 2. This game has a horror,action, and drama like game-play style. I recommend this game to anyone who wants a good cheapA very good game! A variety of characters, enemies, weapons, and environments to come across in this game. The story line is amazing, you play as Gordon Freeman who was in the original Half - life( which was amazing too) and was in Half life episode one, and half life 2. This game has a horror,action, and drama like game-play style. I recommend this game to anyone who wants a good cheap game to play for hours. Expand
  67. Jan 26, 2011
    I was very disappointed after playing through episode one. My expectations were very high from Half Life 2. Episode two however was no disappointment at all. It held up to my expectations; carried the story line well, and played even better in parts than the original. There are a couple of scenarios that had me jumping out of me seat in fear-full anticipation. I hope they do more ofI was very disappointed after playing through episode one. My expectations were very high from Half Life 2. Episode two however was no disappointment at all. It held up to my expectations; carried the story line well, and played even better in parts than the original. There are a couple of scenarios that had me jumping out of me seat in fear-full anticipation. I hope they do more of the same for the final episode. Expand
  68. Jan 22, 2011
    Really Half Life 2.2 is the best Half Life i've ever played . End scene was at it's best and one of the best end scenes . Story and Screenplay were awesome . Game was of complete satisfaction . Waiting for it's next installment . 'Half Life rocks and so as VALvE'.
  69. Dec 23, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half Life 2 is a must get game for gamers.I really like the Antlion Invasion to protect the Vort and Alyx.Really Fun.I also like the Zombine, too.Puzzles are a little frustrating, but you get them some time.I also liked the Antlion Guardian, bossfight. Expand
  70. Oct 9, 2010
    Much better than the first episode and that is saying a lot, considering this is an expansion it provides a lot of content and if you are a fan of the original you already own and beat this haha, but if you are not consider getting the original and both addons, you won't regret it.
  71. Sep 24, 2010
    I was blown away by how awesome this game was. I had only played Episode 1, but this overtook my wildest expectations. It had everything; graphics, gameplay and story. Sometimes the game got hard, but other than that, great game.
  72. BrandonJ
    Jan 21, 2010
    Excellent! the drama between magnus and kliener was fun to watch. the puzzle to killing ratio was about the same as the rest, so its another masterpiece. although the crush every antlion grub achievement on steam has got to be the hardest one out there. also, someone commented on repetition of game play, well its not like a few weeks are going to change the complete game play just for Excellent! the drama between magnus and kliener was fun to watch. the puzzle to killing ratio was about the same as the rest, so its another masterpiece. although the crush every antlion grub achievement on steam has got to be the hardest one out there. also, someone commented on repetition of game play, well its not like a few weeks are going to change the complete game play just for this one game. And as a last comment i can't believe i predicted the ending withing a few minutes of playing it. Collapse
  73. TravisG
    Jan 20, 2010
    The ending. I've never been so drawn into a game like this. This was the episode that REALLY made me care about Alex Vance as a person and not just as that quirky/funny chick that happened to like Gordon form the other games. Because of Episode 2 my outlook on this series has completely changed. Before I loved these games. But episode 2 ingrained them in me. Good job Valve, The ending. I've never been so drawn into a game like this. This was the episode that REALLY made me care about Alex Vance as a person and not just as that quirky/funny chick that happened to like Gordon form the other games. Because of Episode 2 my outlook on this series has completely changed. Before I loved these games. But episode 2 ingrained them in me. Good job Valve, here's hoping that the announcement of your progress on Episode 3 come out this year. Expand
  74. scottd
    Jan 1, 2010
    yes could it be? something that actualy may be better then half-life 2! episode two (of three) push's the envelope for the series as it breaks out of the norm and gives us insight like never before! the enviroments are beutyful and the story is as wonderfuly told as ever and if i had to have any gripe with the expansion it would only be the finale, not that it's a bad finale, i yes could it be? something that actualy may be better then half-life 2! episode two (of three) push's the envelope for the series as it breaks out of the norm and gives us insight like never before! the enviroments are beutyful and the story is as wonderfuly told as ever and if i had to have any gripe with the expansion it would only be the finale, not that it's a bad finale, i just couldnt get 'into' the last little bit of action Expand
  75. Windson7TheChosenOne
    Dec 25, 2009
    Episode Two has many activities unlike the past games. The achievements make the game even more amazing! Only if all the other Half-Life games were like episode two.
  76. AaronC
    Nov 26, 2009
    As the 2nd part of the Half-Life 2 Episodes (Otherwise known from Gabe Newell: Half-Life 3), this was a high-light of the entire Half-Life 2/3 saga. Starting out on a bang, and ending with a major shocker that I refuse to say here, this game never lets up on the action, and dark bleak world perfectly matches the universe of Gordan Freeman. A masterpiece of Valve, only surpassed by the As the 2nd part of the Half-Life 2 Episodes (Otherwise known from Gabe Newell: Half-Life 3), this was a high-light of the entire Half-Life 2/3 saga. Starting out on a bang, and ending with a major shocker that I refuse to say here, this game never lets up on the action, and dark bleak world perfectly matches the universe of Gordan Freeman. A masterpiece of Valve, only surpassed by the orignal HL2. (Also to Dan m, This game is not an expansion, but a contination of HL2 E1 and HL2. It's not supposed to be a gun and run, and GIVE ME MORE GUNS game.) The only issue I have is that it takes awhile to get a gun, making combat in the beginning of the game difficult. Expand
  77. AlexM
    Nov 11, 2009
    The game is absolute amazing, best of the series, beautiful graphics, decent system requirements, great story, awesome new levels(antlion tunels, forests etc), new enemy(very powerful). Overall the game itself without the rest of the Orange Box is worth 50$, and for any Half-Life fan is a must buy.
  78. PatC
    Nov 3, 2009
    I would so SO very much like to give this a nine, or even a ten, but its just SO repetitive. Valve thought "hey riding in a car was fun in HL2! Lets add that to Episode 2!" except wait... they forgot to put a gun on it. Guess what that means! An hour of sitting in a car with Alex and minimal combat for half the game. They try to make it look exciting with zombies and gunships, but really, I would so SO very much like to give this a nine, or even a ten, but its just SO repetitive. Valve thought "hey riding in a car was fun in HL2! Lets add that to Episode 2!" except wait... they forgot to put a gun on it. Guess what that means! An hour of sitting in a car with Alex and minimal combat for half the game. They try to make it look exciting with zombies and gunships, but really, if you just follow the road, you guaranteed success. Everything else makes the game worth buying, but I almost returned it after I was cheated out of cool strider battle by dog and then forced to dive even further. Expand
  79. niallM
    Oct 18, 2009
    First of all I am not a valve fanboy, and outragous rating of this game thouraly angered me. The half life series has to be one of the most origanal and different ever to be created. The story line completely took me in, the visual effect leaps out at you like no other game. Valve has no been repetitive with the half life series, Valve is a gaming company that is not afraid to differ from First of all I am not a valve fanboy, and outragous rating of this game thouraly angered me. The half life series has to be one of the most origanal and different ever to be created. The story line completely took me in, the visual effect leaps out at you like no other game. Valve has no been repetitive with the half life series, Valve is a gaming company that is not afraid to differ from the happy little feel good games such as call of duty! And I'm sorry mr. Hlep U but frankly all of the games in theorange box were utterly brilliant! Portal made you think beyond the level of other puzzle games. If you want something a little different and fun then where else to look but team fortress 2, it offers a fun experiense with a feel good cartoony style, and i'm sure you already know about the outright brilliance of hl2 and it's succesers! And I'm sorry if I right now am sounding like a Valve spokesman, but the only way the orange box could have possibly made any better a deal was if they had included left 4 dead. Expand
  80. TyA
    Oct 15, 2009
    Brilliant. Expands on the story very well, with the ending leaving me in shock. The final chapter of thise episode is one of the most intensely fun gaming experiences I have ever had.
  81. AnonymousPublisher
    Sep 21, 2009
    I don't think it's necessary this episode to the saga. it's all the same bu**sh** make an new "Monster" or a Human against you like "G-Man" not the same crap every time. But the graphs are good to me. 5.
  82. JackG
    Sep 12, 2009
    This game is Great the combat feels fresh even tho its an old game and it makes you think on your feet. my only problem is some of the bits get a bit repetitive like killing the Hunters and Striders outside white forest, apart from this i have no problem with this game and its worth buying. :)
  83. EddieD
    Aug 8, 2009
    Much better than Episode 1, but still not up to the standards set by HL2-TOG. Controlling the car is also something that needs to be overhauled, as driving it is nearly impossible.
  84. JonH
    Aug 5, 2009
    I loved almost every thing about this game, but a few parts were a bit annoying. Driving was a bit hard and trying to take down the striders at the end was almost impossible. It wasn't great, but better then a lot of games out there today.
  85. Mitch
    Aug 3, 2009
    Normally I would give this game a nine, but I feel desperately I need to use whatever I can to overpower "Help U" and his poorly written monstrosity which ceased to make sense to those of us with logical brains about 10 minutes in. In retort to what (I think) he was trying to say, The Orange Box was not just some rip-off game package deal. For $20 you can get two, freshly released games, Normally I would give this game a nine, but I feel desperately I need to use whatever I can to overpower "Help U" and his poorly written monstrosity which ceased to make sense to those of us with logical brains about 10 minutes in. In retort to what (I think) he was trying to say, The Orange Box was not just some rip-off game package deal. For $20 you can get two, freshly released games, a brand new episode for Half-Life 2, and because it wouldn't make any sense at all to give you a new episode standalone, the other two chapters of the Half-Life 2 experience. Since three of the five titles then were brand new in the Orange Box, and the other two titles were basically a free gift, I hardly think there is anything to complain about unless you were at the frightening level of idiocy that would have compelled you to buy all these games separately. Your opinion of Episode 2 is your own business, but dropping the rating because of the packaging deal is just asinine. What's more, I am inclined to disagree anyway with your review, whose grammar gave me throbbing pains in my frontal lobes, by stating that with each of the Episodic releases Valve is not only adding more to the rich storyline of Half-Life 2 (which probably doesn't matter to the kind of gamer you group yourself under), and not only enriching the gameplay with new stirring sequences whose difficulty is amped up much further than the previous two installments and innovative additions to the Source Engine and interaction with the environment, but is also constantly adding to the game's original code to make it more visually stunning (the addition of full bloom and environmental lighting is felt most in episode 2, and beautifully) and user-friendly without the sacrifice of challenge. It is a wonderful game, and even if you can't see that, I encourage you to actually try using your mind before suddenly running your mouth and dropping the game with an insincerely low rating. I mean a two?! I reserve those for the likes of Sonic the Hedgehog games! Show some decency! Expand
  86. HelpU
    Jul 19, 2009
    This is the original advertising campaign. "Half Life 2: Adventures of Gordan Freeman and the Crappy Unnecessary Character: Part 2" By now, if you actually enjoyed Half Life 2 up to this point, we can throw just about anything at you. How about? The same puzzles. How about? One new Enemy with slightly updated AI. How about? A storyline that actually requires you to study and worship Half This is the original advertising campaign. "Half Life 2: Adventures of Gordan Freeman and the Crappy Unnecessary Character: Part 2" By now, if you actually enjoyed Half Life 2 up to this point, we can throw just about anything at you. How about? The same puzzles. How about? One new Enemy with slightly updated AI. How about? A storyline that actually requires you to study and worship Half Life to sort of understand. How about? More awkward situations to the point of unrealism. How about? The final, not boss, Bosses be very overly complicated to defeat and leaves room for hours of frustration. Now we know how much our fans like the same old formulas. So, get this, we actually make it into a package deal. With one, count them, one good game in the package deal. Its called Portal or something....us valve teammembers are against games that make you think but we'll let this one slide. We can't call it something generic like "Valve Fanboy Package" we'll make it the "Orange Box" which is like the mating call for all Valve fanboys. I hope you come to enjoy our repackaging of Half Life 2 as much we enjoy half a**ing everything. Expand
  87. MarceloS
    Jul 14, 2009
    The game is perfect. Everything is very well connect and, though I agree Alyx is almost a super woman (if I took half the shots she take I'd be long dead, even with 100 health and 100 suit!!!), the storyline is really wonderful. And, the challenge is pretty good, and not frustrating. The two final chapter are almost worthy all the game: kill lots of big robots, in a riot sometimes The game is perfect. Everything is very well connect and, though I agree Alyx is almost a super woman (if I took half the shots she take I'd be long dead, even with 100 health and 100 suit!!!), the storyline is really wonderful. And, the challenge is pretty good, and not frustrating. The two final chapter are almost worthy all the game: kill lots of big robots, in a riot sometimes you almost get lost, and then, the astonishing end, impredictable and unexpectable. I'm really not a big fan of HL, though I consider it very good and entertaining, but, Episode 2 really made me write this review: it's simply perfect. It moves not only with your accuracy as a shooter, but you may even develop(finally!!!) some real bonds with the other characters. Finally I felt part of all those things of Black Mesa, G-Man and Alyx Vance. I really wanted Episode 3 was released today. Regards, Marcelo Soeiro Expand
  88. JohnC
    May 16, 2009
    Loved the game felt alot longer and more entertaining then Episode 1 and the new enemies and allies was pretty fun. It was also nice to have awards you could earn through steam for the game and im happy to know that Episode 3 may have a link to Portal since Aperature science is involved. Only thing i didnt like was the ending since it was a little depressing. Really makes me want to see Loved the game felt alot longer and more entertaining then Episode 1 and the new enemies and allies was pretty fun. It was also nice to have awards you could earn through steam for the game and im happy to know that Episode 3 may have a link to Portal since Aperature science is involved. Only thing i didnt like was the ending since it was a little depressing. Really makes me want to see whats going to happen in Episode 3 though. Expand
  89. Danm
    Apr 30, 2009
    Rather underwhelmed by this game. Interesting (and quite striking) new graphics. Some new enemies to face, and some interesting action scenes, but for me thats not what makes hl2 fun. NO FUCKING NEW GUNS. Its an expansion, this is a travesty. They have perfect opportunities to give them also. Overall, just more of the same ol' same ol' formula thats getting very boring.
  90. LukeM.
    Mar 24, 2009
    Best Game Ever!!!!
  91. RossH.
    Mar 2, 2009
    I would first like to say that half of the User Reviews don't even make sense, let alone give you a decent reason for why they rated the game as such. I will refer you first to Danny G who rated the game a 1. It seem he hated this esp, WTF is a esp? Probably short for episode but the individual is too stupid to realize the "p" is before the "s" in episode. I hope nobody continued I would first like to say that half of the User Reviews don't even make sense, let alone give you a decent reason for why they rated the game as such. I will refer you first to Danny G who rated the game a 1. It seem he hated this esp, WTF is a esp? Probably short for episode but the individual is too stupid to realize the "p" is before the "s" in episode. I hope nobody continued reading his review after that unless they were trying to get a laugh out of it. The second I would like to note is Philip B. He rated the game a zero because operating system didn't grant him the permission to run executable. Please don't abuse the game rating system because you can't play it. Personally I gave the game a 9. It had everything I could want in good FPS. The story line was amazing and continued an arc that seems to keep the mystery of what is going on alive, well progressing itself in an interesting manner. The graphics continue to amaze and delight me and the physics compliment it nicely. The only two things I have against this game is difficulty and length of play. Since everyone already knows that these are episodes and are going to be short I don't have to explain my lust for more when I get done with an episode. However my problem with the fact that the game isn't very hard even on the hardest of settings still bugs the shit out of me. Please valve make another setting for die hard gamers to give us the challenge we need. Expand
  92. DavidKane
    Feb 10, 2009
    Another over-rated game. The end is so terrible when it leaves you hanging. And does not stand up very well on its own. Needed more work. I think it was rushed. The end boss fight against the striders, the basketball shoot, is a classic game fight though not soon to be forgotton. Lol! Not bad but could be better.
  93. AdrianP.
    Jan 21, 2009
    I think its a 7 because tbh its a really good game but it can have a lot more stuff added into it. This game would be perfect if it had some features like the ones in a game called warrock (im not saying all) but like the ability to prone and ability to lean so its harder to shoot someone sounds pretty cool. Hopefully they come out with a new cs thats similar but adds in new features and I think its a 7 because tbh its a really good game but it can have a lot more stuff added into it. This game would be perfect if it had some features like the ones in a game called warrock (im not saying all) but like the ability to prone and ability to lean so its harder to shoot someone sounds pretty cool. Hopefully they come out with a new cs thats similar but adds in new features and even perhaps new guns. Expand
  94. AnonymousGamer
    Jan 19, 2009
    Unlike episode 1 this is far better. The enviroments feel more enjoyable especially white forest. The characters seem to be extremly real, it makes you forget about it being a game. The final battle was my fave part i wont give away any spoilers but I loved it! However when the game ended i felt like i had just read the final harry potter book, it was so sad id have to wait another long Unlike episode 1 this is far better. The enviroments feel more enjoyable especially white forest. The characters seem to be extremly real, it makes you forget about it being a game. The final battle was my fave part i wont give away any spoilers but I loved it! However when the game ended i felt like i had just read the final harry potter book, it was so sad id have to wait another long time to find out what happens. But out of all I seriously reccomend this game! Expand
  95. ChrisD.
    Jan 6, 2009
    Where Episode 1 lacked, Episode 2 excelled. With upgraded graphics, new environments and some truly emotional moments, Episode 2 picks up where Episode 1 left off and carries you through an emotional and exhilirating joyride of an experience. With new aspects of gameplay, some fun new friends, some more time with Alyx and some interesting revelations, Episode 2 explains some of those Where Episode 1 lacked, Episode 2 excelled. With upgraded graphics, new environments and some truly emotional moments, Episode 2 picks up where Episode 1 left off and carries you through an emotional and exhilirating joyride of an experience. With new aspects of gameplay, some fun new friends, some more time with Alyx and some interesting revelations, Episode 2 explains some of those questions you've been asking, and creates some more. Anyone who was expecting a 60 hour long epic journey need only look at the Episodic title to find the flaw in their reasoning and instead enjoy this episode for what it is, a masterpiece. Expand
  96. SaintNoobWut
    Dec 31, 2008
    I quite liked this, but the graphics, especially the blood and some body light, were over done. The blood exploded rather than stick to the walls and other surfaces. Also, half the time seeing Alyx, I got quite annoyed with a somewhat glowing face. Some of the levels were a bit confusing for me, (the antlion tunnel one) were some places, even after 5 mins of looking, seemed to be a place I quite liked this, but the graphics, especially the blood and some body light, were over done. The blood exploded rather than stick to the walls and other surfaces. Also, half the time seeing Alyx, I got quite annoyed with a somewhat glowing face. Some of the levels were a bit confusing for me, (the antlion tunnel one) were some places, even after 5 mins of looking, seemed to be a place half hidden. Though apart from that, I like the fact Valve added some new stuff, but also, the lack of new stuff to. Expand
  97. MikeyM.
    Dec 4, 2008
    This was not a very entertaining game for me. Lots of open yet redundant open space; there was no need to explore them since there was nothing there except empty crates. As I went through the game, I saw alot of crates that were used as filler space. Old broken cars used as filler space is understandable; an overturned truck that carried empty is not. I felt no connection to my so-called This was not a very entertaining game for me. Lots of open yet redundant open space; there was no need to explore them since there was nothing there except empty crates. As I went through the game, I saw alot of crates that were used as filler space. Old broken cars used as filler space is understandable; an overturned truck that carried empty is not. I felt no connection to my so-called companion, Alyx; she seems immortal: she hardly dies, and she can kill stuff with her pistol and infite ammo. I also felt that the introduction of new enemies were too litte too late in the series and that game mechanics didn't change. The story adds new characters and facilities out of the blue and magically erases others. The player is supposed to get to the Scientist Magnusson at White Forest Base (the character and location weren't materialized until now) to give a packet of information to him (which was acquired in episode 1). A sense of urgency and the importance of the data packet were being conveyed throughout game; I did feel the importance of urgency throughout the game. There is also no nightime when the player is outside; the player goes into dark undeground areas, but it is assumed that it is daylight. This lack of nightime in a story where everything happens chronologically is severely detracting from the mood and sense of urgency. Tha achievements were alright, added some replayability value, but not much. I also didn't enjoy the sense of constant praise from Alyx and resistance members. Expand
  98. AS
    Oct 26, 2008
    Episode 1 was disappointing because it added nothing new to the HL2 series. It was boring, linear and 4 hours long and really added nothing. Episode 2 however...my god...this is what I'm talking about. Episode 2 adds new outdoor environments, enemies and a cinematic story and REALLY feels like an addition to the series because it feels fresh and adds new things not seen in HL2 & Episode 1 was disappointing because it added nothing new to the HL2 series. It was boring, linear and 4 hours long and really added nothing. Episode 2 however...my god...this is what I'm talking about. Episode 2 adds new outdoor environments, enemies and a cinematic story and REALLY feels like an addition to the series because it feels fresh and adds new things not seen in HL2 & Episode 1. When we played HL2 4 years ago, we were amazed at how fresh the game was, never having played anything like it before. Episode 2 feels the same. It's great fun and you won't want to stop playing until you've finished (unlike Episode 1). Graphical improvements have also been added and the environments just look amazing. It's also twice as long as Episode 1 (about 7-8 hours). This game truly feels polished today, just like HL2 did in 2004. Episode 1 however does not which feels like the same HL2 from 2004. Expand
  99. CharlesM
    Oct 23, 2008
    Absolutely amazing game. Achievements added a whole new dimension to the gameplay experience. The emotions of the characters felt so real...I cried at the end & really developed an affection for Alyx. The downside...valve takes FOREVER to make the most AMAZING games!!!! But the wait is soooo worth it when they finally release the game.
  100. TristanO.
    Aug 9, 2008
    Half-Life2-Half-Life2: Episode 2: "The best game(s) ever made...".

Any way you look at it, Episode Two stands out, even among the Half-Life series, as something special. It may be shorter than the original, but it's a burly experience packed into roughly six hours or so that offers up all the diversity, level design, and thoughtful gameplay we've known while making sure to propel the story forward and leave us wanting more.
  2. More great story blended with improved AI and better firefights. It's starting to retread old ground though.
  3. Episode Two is the most sumptuous chapter of the Half-Life saga, and by a country mile. It's as if Valve's tech and art teams are trying to outdo each other: the Source engine has had a striking technical overhaul that renders textures, materials and curves uncannily well, and the artists clearly relish having a fresh palette to work with.