Half-Life 2 PC

9.2

1. Feb 5, 2012
    You spend a lot of this game doing repetitive tasks. The game is very linear and each sort of 'stage' or 'chapter' in the game seems to be really dragged out. For example the chapter called 'Water Hazard' (I think that's what it's called) you tend to end up being able to guess what you have to do next as you've done it a billion times already. Often you'll also find yourself going onYou spend a lot of this game doing repetitive tasks. The game is very linear and each sort of 'stage' or 'chapter' in the game seems to be really dragged out. For example the chapter called 'Water Hazard' (I think that's what it's called) you tend to end up being able to guess what you have to do next as you've done it a billion times already. Often you'll also find yourself going on really long-winded routes to overcome one obstacle, which is obviously just to make the game last longer.
    However I do agree that it's a very innovative and original game, and the graphics and physics are impressive.
  2. Nov 7, 2012
    There is a good structure of level design, which varies from: run and gun, tactical shooting, alien survival, and the physics puzzles. The physics, by thw way, are amazing. Each object behaves like you'd imagine it to, and it all adds more depth to the game. Also, I'm a huge fan of how the involve all the story and dialog in the game itself, (without taking you into a cut-scene).
    Overall,
    Overall, the game is a great advancement in the area of First Person Shooters.
  3. Aug 30, 2013
    As of now, this game hasn't really aged well. The combat is extremely simple and boring, just point at the enemy and hold left click. The only thing interesting is the Gravity Gun, but that's also kind of boring because even games like Sonic 06 implemented this combat feature for Silver the Hedgehog. So yes, the combat is meh.

The graphics is still pretty good for today if it has

The graphics is still pretty good for today if it has improved lighting and better textures. The story is very uninteresting, I also don't feel attached to characters like Alyx, Barney, and others. Like the part when you are seperated from Alyx and you have to go to Ravenholm. I'm just like, meh I'll move on. I don't feel worried of other characters in danger and all that For a game that is supposed to be story driven, it is extremely BAD AT STORY.

People say that this game is a physics puzzle game, but guess what? None of the puzzles are hard. All it takes is to stack enough objects on one specific place and move on. Nothing challenging there, so why is it a physics puzzle game?

The game is very linear, but also provides some exploring you can do to find hidden pockets of extra health, armor and ammo, which is stupid because you'll encounter a lot of them on plain sight, so you can survive this game on hard mode without ever finding the hidden supplies.

Overall, for today's standard, it is an average cookie-cutter first person shooter and for $10, it's good I guess.
  4. Oct 5, 2013
    "Gordon Freeman!?" "Gordon Freeman!" "Gordon Freeman??!" Graphically, HL2 has aged gracefully, gameplay has not. Dry, extended sections of shooting the same character model over and over again, dull, stupid AI that bumrushes (enemy) or constantly gets in the way (friendly) and annoying platforming sections (still) in a FPS whose character slips and slides around, uncontrollably at times."Gordon Freeman!?" "Gordon Freeman!" "Gordon Freeman??!" Graphically, HL2 has aged gracefully, gameplay has not. Dry, extended sections of shooting the same character model over and over again, dull, stupid AI that bumrushes (enemy) or constantly gets in the way (friendly) and annoying platforming sections (still) in a FPS whose character slips and slides around, uncontrollably at times. Overrated when it came out, and overrated now. Expand
  5. Aug 24, 2013
    I dont know, HOW some people can love this crap in the present day? This game have not so much, just good gameplay and nothig more. Not genious story, not awesome graphic, just a game. Without mods it should be suck.
  6. Mar 20, 2013
    They say this was a really great game and I bought it on steam. I played this game for 15 hrs and all I can say is it is not engaging and really boring. It is a big letdown and I dont even know why it is great. Maybe in the middle of the game it got good? Maybe if I get time i will try to continue but so far it is boring as hell. Borderlands was great and engaging, this one is not.
  7. Apr 17, 2013
    The most overrated game of all time. The silent protagonist is dated even by 2004 standards. The graphics are good, but lack spirit. The guns don't feel quite powerfull enough. The story is nothing special, unoriginal even. It feel like they just made it up as they went along.
    It's not a bad game, but it definetly not a great game let alone a classic one.
  8. Sep 3, 2013
    Half-Life 2 is very average game. The game is a very linear shooter with very little deviation from the main path. Only to collect ammo which is everywhere so it doesn't matter. It offers no replay value and its a short 8 hour experience compared to many RPGs that go for 30hours. The story is quiet good but even this has problems. It is presented by conversations but the volume of the NPCsHalf-Life 2 is very average game. The game is a very linear shooter with very little deviation from the main path. Only to collect ammo which is everywhere so it doesn't matter. It offers no replay value and its a short 8 hour experience compared to many RPGs that go for 30hours. The story is quiet good but even this has problems. It is presented by conversations but the volume of the NPCs is so unbalanced to the game I can't hear them. There is also no explanation for most of what is going on. The ending is very good but it comes at the end of a bland level and "boss fight". The game looks good and has great sound and some cool weapons, but that isn't enough to save it. I can't recommend this to anyone. Expand
  9. Jul 18, 2013
    Moderators are deleting my post? because I am rating the game low? Really!?!?! Well keep doing it mods cuz I am going to put my 2 cents out there 1 way or another.

People are only giving this game high rating to counter-act the people giving 0-4 red scores. This game is massively over hyped, or people have low expectations, hell if you just came from playing HL1 or Solitaire, or barney & friends you should be having much more fun on this game than those.

However the facts are this is a completely 100% linear lane, only can be argued by the fact they have "puzzles" in the game, its just a nuisance and something added in to make you think, and force the game to take longer than it should. I like the fact they make me think but atleast make the puzzles fun. I mean really stacking boxes, or holding down the E button to lift/drop gates, etc... Its not fun! Why do people think this is fun, to give a game a 10 is like saying its perfect These puzzles are fun for you? If they're great! but please don't give it a 10 these puzzles are not fun.

Along with the puzzles. There is no weapon, or character progression, EVERYTHING IS >>>SCRIPTED
  10. Apr 28, 2013
    Ten years ago this game was set a new benchmark for the whole gaming industry, many considered this the best/ or one of the best games ever made... Ten years later however things have change.. and in short this game has not aged well...
    With a silence protagonist you try to save the world.. no side quest, extremely linear, just a handful of different enemies and not very challenging... by today's standards this is a very average game.. However this a testament of how much the gaming experience has evolve and grown over the years...
  11. Sep 26, 2012
    Really? Are people still raving about this after all these years? To be fair the gameplay's solid enough, the graphics are still surprisingly good and ther's just enough variety and twists to keep you playing till the end. I'll give HL2 it's due; it's still a good game (and fairly influential too) but certainly not the great game it was in 2004. Hate to break it to you fan boys but all theReally? Are people still raving about this after all these years? To be fair the gameplay's solid enough, the graphics are still surprisingly good and ther's just enough variety and twists to keep you playing till the end. I'll give HL2 it's due; it's still a good game (and fairly influential too) but certainly not the great game it was in 2004. Hate to break it to you fan boys but all the things HF2 did that seemed ground breaking and/or mind blowing back in the day have been improved and expanded on many times now. Try playing any of the Uncharted games, Resident Evil 4 or Gears of War then tell me the plot, atmosphere or pacing is so great. Expand
  12. May 6, 2014
    Even in 2004 when this game came out I felt this game was only slightly above average. Don't really understand why so many people love this game. Probably only entertaining part was the puzzling section. Basically linear game play without even a cinematic to make things interesting. Felt like I was playing the first Halo, and that game at least had a good multiplayer, unless you count CS.Even in 2004 when this game came out I felt this game was only slightly above average. Don't really understand why so many people love this game. Probably only entertaining part was the puzzling section. Basically linear game play without even a cinematic to make things interesting. Felt like I was playing the first Halo, and that game at least had a good multiplayer, unless you count CS. Counter Strike may be competitive, but the Source engine is definitely showing its signs of age. And why should I be talking about Counter Strike if this is a review on Half Life? Im not going to even talk about the multiplayer that Half Life 2 came with because that just straight up sucked when I actually found people to play with. I will give this game a six for slightly above average. Expand
  13. Apr 15, 2014
    Some issues, firstly, the character you're playing as does not utter a single word during the game, it felt like I was playing Pokemon with guns mixed with that alien film, I found the game to be extremely racist in terms of the liquid based hazards, the clear water is nice and non-poisonous, the multicolored liquid is the opposite, just what sort of racist ideologies are Valve trying toSome issues, firstly, the character you're playing as does not utter a single word during the game, it felt like I was playing Pokemon with guns mixed with that alien film, I found the game to be extremely racist in terms of the liquid based hazards, the clear water is nice and non-poisonous, the multicolored liquid is the opposite, just what sort of racist ideologies are Valve trying to force onto us!?
    Overall, fun game with nice mechanics and a good mix of puzzle solving and action, nice one Valve.
    I give it a six.
  14. Mar 29, 2013
    I played this game back when it came out, and sure it was fun, but it wasn't as great as it's made out to be. Sure I'll be hated for this, but the game is really just an above average shooter. The enemies are extremely repetitive and the AI is pretty useless considering 70% of the time they just stand still and shoot. Ravenholm isn't scary and the zombies are easily killed. The best partI played this game back when it came out, and sure it was fun, but it wasn't as great as it's made out to be. Sure I'll be hated for this, but the game is really just an above average shooter. The enemies are extremely repetitive and the AI is pretty useless considering 70% of the time they just stand still and shoot. Ravenholm isn't scary and the zombies are easily killed. The best part of the game is the story and characters, for that it deserves genuine praise. From a 2004 point of view, some aspects were groundbreaking, but fact is, you can't give a game so much praise just because it's amazing in some areas, and average in others. I know this isn't popular opinion, but I genuinely feel this way about the game. Overrated? Yeah, I'd say so. Not too much, but still by a bit. Expand
  15. Dec 22, 2013
    I am really sorry to say that but I can't bear with this game. As other have said it is quite boring and repetitive and it is not fun. I am an occasional player and can't play hours just hoping that it would possibly get better. It's boring from the start.
  16. Aug 26, 2013
    i personally think that half life 2 is the most overrated game of all time i can't see anything special about this game you're running from soldiers hitting some soldiers killing zombies and that's it the story is not good as it seems and the protagonist is so boring he never says a word the entire game in the end it isn't bad but it doesn't deserve all that hype about it
  17. Nov 9, 2013
    This is a game I bought because of the hype and the awards it got but then did not see what was so good about it, the game had a massive world and brilliant graphics that still stand today, but it does not change my opinion that it slowly got repetitive and boring and did not have a clear path or story. It was ok, but not amazing by any standard.
  18. Jan 18, 2015
    I've played this game when it first came out in 2004, and now, after 10 years, I've decided to play it again. I remember, I loved this game back then, it had some awesome graphics which was well optimised as well, and loved the different uniqe parts (ie. driving a buggy, etc.). Now, the game is basically OK, but it has a lot of flaws. First, it happened to me a lot that I got stuck in someI've played this game when it first came out in 2004, and now, after 10 years, I've decided to play it again. I remember, I loved this game back then, it had some awesome graphics which was well optimised as well, and loved the different uniqe parts (ie. driving a buggy, etc.). Now, the game is basically OK, but it has a lot of flaws. First, it happened to me a lot that I got stuck in some terrain object/wall piece/etc., which is pretty frustrating in the middle of combat. The "helpers" are more like a pain in the @ss rather than helpful, they are always in the wrong place and one just can't move freely because of them (especially in the heat of a battle). But my biggest concern is the story: throughout the game, I didn't have a clue what is happening. It was always like "Run, Gordon!" "You have to go to place B!" and so on. And there are no cutscenes or other story telling points, only your companions, who tell you you have to do this and do that. It was just a big running, with lot of fights, but for what and why, it was not clear to me.

So it's still a good game which is worth playing, but I think it's just overhyped - there are lot of others which I played through more times and enjoyed more.
  19. Nov 9, 2011
    In Valve's "Half Life 2", each and every level is unique and cool. The graphics are pretty sexy if you compare it with the standard rate. However, The gameplay was too original; i've played these kind of puzzle FPS before. I'm not saying its bad; there's a profound story and shocking visuals that covers this up, but I expected more than just running around in cars and boats, stopping byIn Valve's "Half Life 2", each and every level is unique and cool. The graphics are pretty sexy if you compare it with the standard rate. However, The gameplay was too original; i've played these kind of puzzle FPS before. I'm not saying its bad; there's a profound story and shocking visuals that covers this up, but I expected more than just running around in cars and boats, stopping by for some zombie kills and ammo, and repeat that stuff all over again. In conclusion, it's a solidly great game that will entertain you as a game no more or no less Expand
  20. Jan 23, 2015
    Overrated game that is for some reason considered a classic. Half life 2 is the old sick man of video games. Its cliche themes and poor optimization make it quite an overrated mess.
  21. Jan 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's only a well-made shooter. It lasts for over 20 hours, but it has only 4 or 5 real plot twists, and all the other twists are related to the action! (like ravenholm). It seems good at the train station, but soon you'll discover the city isn't real. It's just a lot of combine soldiers. And then you'll have to kill 100 people and 20 monsters to get to the other level, where you'll drive a boat and kill another 100 people and this time 30 monsters. Then someone comes to you and says hey, I'm your father! And then you're like "Noooo!", and kill a couple hundred more. The plot can be written this short:
    - Gordon joins resistance
    - Eli is captured
    - Mossman is a traitor
    - Alyx is captured too
    - Mossman is a traitor again, so prisoners are freed
    - they blow **** up

So what kind of plot is that?? But anyway, it's nice to play in the parts where it's well made and not too repetitive. For example the lighthouse, turret defense and driving parts I liked.

After all, a well made linear FPS is always better than a non-linear game gone wrong. For example Far Cry 2 tries to create a free world, but it fails miserably.
  22. Jan 15, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game. I really did. It's just way too gimmicky. There only a few types of enemies - Headcrabs, zombies, soldiers, and antlions are basically the only enemies you really see in the game. The vehicle levels are atrocious and it focuses far too much on gimmicks like the gravity gun (though the ending segment with the high-powered gravity gun was awesome). Overall,I really wanted to like this game. I really did. It's just way too gimmicky. There only a few types of enemies - Headcrabs, zombies, soldiers, and antlions are basically the only enemies you really see in the game. The vehicle levels are atrocious and it focuses far too much on gimmicks like the gravity gun (though the ending segment with the high-powered gravity gun was awesome). Overall, it just lacks a lot of the personality and atmosphere of the original Half-Life. If you want a great story-based FPS, go buy the original Half-Life on Steam now, and pass up this one. You won't regret it. Expand
  23. Jul 5, 2012
    IMHO Half Life 2 is a good game, but for some odd reason, is quite overrated. The game has a great focus on story and a wonderful sense of atmosphere. But for some reason, it feels flat and largely quite boring. In parts the lengthof levels is too long and I find the pacing quite tedious. Also the story does nothing for me. I can only assume that Half Life 2 introduce a generation ofIMHO Half Life 2 is a good game, but for some odd reason, is quite overrated. The game has a great focus on story and a wonderful sense of atmosphere. But for some reason, it feels flat and largely quite boring. In parts the lengthof levels is too long and I find the pacing quite tedious. Also the story does nothing for me. I can only assume that Half Life 2 introduce a generation of younger gamers to the story based FPS and/or immersive sim/fps (perhaps those who did not experience Looking Glass games etc?). Good for them. Just not for me.
    TLDR: Good. But not best game ever.
  24. Aug 28, 2011
    Half-Life 2 feels overall quite polished. Yet I must say, I can't rate it higher than a 7/10. Some parts are simply too long (especially the vehicle-parts), while others come short. There is a good variety of weapons and though you will use each at least once, you want some maps in the end where you just can freely choose your favourite gun. You won't regret finishing the game, but somehowHalf-Life 2 feels overall quite polished. Yet I must say, I can't rate it higher than a 7/10. Some parts are simply too long (especially the vehicle-parts), while others come short. There is a good variety of weapons and though you will use each at least once, you want some maps in the end where you just can freely choose your favourite gun. You won't regret finishing the game, but somehow it feels like most of the choices you make, are already made by the developers for you. On the good side: The scripted events are placed perfectly and far better than in most later games I've played. And they make up for a good alternation. Expand
  25. Nov 24, 2012
    Good game.
    If every software house did a game like that, we would all be happy: challenging gameplay, good story, pretty good graphics and good longevity.
  26. May 26, 2013
    I'm just not as high on this game as everybody else. There is some good FPS fun fighting various kinds of creative enemies. There will be a few moments where you will kill lots of enemies at once with a car, toilet, or bouncy disintegrate thing where you will sit back and admire your work. Some of the guns are still more creative than current FPS guns. However, while its moments are great,I'm just not as high on this game as everybody else. There is some good FPS fun fighting various kinds of creative enemies. There will be a few moments where you will kill lots of enemies at once with a car, toilet, or bouncy disintegrate thing where you will sit back and admire your work. Some of the guns are still more creative than current FPS guns. However, while its moments are great, there is way too much shooting waves of basic soldiers without any of the creative others from a far distance, which is not only boring but annoying because only one gun has sights. There are too few opportunities to use the gravity gun, the very fun weapon which is really the signature piece of this game. And while I said the guns are very creative, they fall to often under the linear spell where they are used in one situation well and disregarded for the rest of the game. Basically this game is fun (and only 10 bucks) but very, very over acclaimed. Expand
  27. Jul 9, 2013
    Meh, it's okay.
    Half-Life 2 does a lot of things right. It looks great, plays great, has a large interconnected world, and has a fairly interesting story with cool characters.
    Meh, it's okay.
    Except the game feels somewhat tedious. Every level is similar to the last later on in the game. You kill the same/similar enemies over and over again. Every now and then there is a driving section to break up the tedium, but those suck.

This game is really overrated. I've played much better FPS games than Half-Life 2; games that were far less tedious and less boring. It's a good game, just not that great.
  28. Mar 29, 2013
    I do not understand why this game is getting such praise. It is middle of the road in terms of game play; It is a shooter. At this point, it has been done and there is not much else you can do to improve upon it. At least I have not seen that much yet. The story is good, granted, but I feel it could be better... And the ending feels like it ran out of money half way. 7 at best.
  29. Jan 13, 2014
    breaking it down:
    hl2 is a brilliant masterpiece, or to be precisely: the engine is the best since...well hl1 i guess.
    the new, sharp looking graphics and awesome, never seen before physics, were state of the art back then and have brought us many, MANY great looking games. apart from this half life 2 is a dumbed down ripoff of the first game, the story is poor/hollywoodstyle with
    breaking it down:

apart from this half life 2 is a dumbed down ripoff of the first game, the story is poor/hollywoodstyle with little surprises.
    even worse: the intend of the devs to make it EPISODE 1(to sell more eps after the first) is a good indicator for how they write storys...they didnt!
    as an fps it was slower, the enemies where not as "smart" and, apart from the hand-holding(the robot/girl), the unlimited grav gun really messed it up for me(get a chunk of trash/barrel/whatever and shoot at enemy-->instakill), leaving you with enough ammo at any given time.

i wont even start about steam.

try black mesa, the hl1 mod for hl2 engine and see for yourself.

BUT if you are not such an old ***** as myself, and dont know about the glorious times of fps games,
    when enemys tried to actually kill you, instead of running for cover, it sure looks like a well made game.

i think it doesnt deserve 9,2 user and 96 meta score, and thats just my personal op.

8/10 (back then and 7 now because ooolllddd)
  30. Aug 11, 2014
    Half-Life 2 is a cool game. Tricky and exciting. I like it. The gravity gun. The big bugs. They are endless and really annoying. But once you kill their momma and take its organ they will all become your slaves. Your loyal army. I really liked that part. But I find the story uninteresting.
  31. Aug 5, 2014
    I liked it, Half-Life 2 is a good atmospheric FPS, but is it something more, something breathtaking that should blow everyone's mind as everyone in this world seems to think? Hell no, I feel absolutely the same way about Half-Life 2 as I did with the first Half-Life, it's good, yes, but that's it, for some reason both Half-Lifes are extremely, but I mean EXTREMELY over-hyped and overrated.I liked it, Half-Life 2 is a good atmospheric FPS, but is it something more, something breathtaking that should blow everyone's mind as everyone in this world seems to think? Hell no, I feel absolutely the same way about Half-Life 2 as I did with the first Half-Life, it's good, yes, but that's it, for some reason both Half-Lifes are extremely, but I mean EXTREMELY over-hyped and overrated. It's a really good FPS, don't look for anything much more here. 7/10 Expand
  32. Oct 21, 2011
    I had fun for about 3 hours, soldiered on for about another 3 and then lost interest completely. A game more bereft of personality I have yet to play. I can't say that I saw much evidence of a story or any story telling for that matter - just a continuous chase with a few guns and vehicles thrown in. Oh yes, a couple of humans too who did nothing except break up the monotony of shootingI had fun for about 3 hours, soldiered on for about another 3 and then lost interest completely. A game more bereft of personality I have yet to play. I can't say that I saw much evidence of a story or any story telling for that matter - just a continuous chase with a few guns and vehicles thrown in. Oh yes, a couple of humans too who did nothing except break up the monotony of shooting stuff every once in a while. It has some good moments no doubt but very quickly I neither cared about what I was doing or why I was doing it. A faceless, straitjacketed and shallow game is the only way I can describe it. Expand
  33. Nov 18, 2012
    Why does everyone love this game? It is quite boring, the story doesn't develop well enough and the gameplay itself is nothing special. Nothing stands out at me as being amazing. It's not a bad game but it's nothing special either. I am huge fan of valve in general though.
  34. Feb 5, 2015
    Its engine capability is outstanding at the time of release. However, looking at this "best FPS" again today, only a mediocre and repetitive rail shooter with most of the same weapons in its predecessor and poor story telling is found.

So, its experience is just "meh" now.
  35. Nov 26, 2010
    Its a fun game, but it is nothing like Half life 1, the first half life game was probably the best game of its genre, but half life 2 is just a generic fps. It has realy stellar graphics and engine. It has decent acting, but its story falls flat on just shooting combine and running away from combine, but the gameplay was realy well made, i want to give this game a lower rating but theyIts a fun game, but it is nothing like Half life 1, the first half life game was probably the best game of its genre, but half life 2 is just a generic fps. It has realy stellar graphics and engine. It has decent acting, but its story falls flat on just shooting combine and running away from combine, but the gameplay was realy well made, i want to give this game a lower rating but they just nailed it off to be a regular game, it is nothing special. Expand
  36. Jun 28, 2012
    Either Half-Life 1 or 2, I don't like them very much, it is very boring story line and there's no other feelings that gives you except a little bit of fear of some ugly creature. Story line is long, dark and no resting you wound not want to play it a long period of time.
  37. Nov 7, 2013
    After having replayed the game on PC (rather than X360) in 2013 I have to say it's better than the Xbox 360 version with regards to the graphics and controls, but the core gameplay is still very much stuck in the 90s. The basic game mechanics are so outdated and unimmersive it's difficult to take it seriously. Small things like meleeing enemies with the crowbar and mounting turrets as wellAfter having replayed the game on PC (rather than X360) in 2013 I have to say it's better than the Xbox 360 version with regards to the graphics and controls, but the core gameplay is still very much stuck in the 90s. The basic game mechanics are so outdated and unimmersive it's difficult to take it seriously. Small things like meleeing enemies with the crowbar and mounting turrets as well as primitive controls and movement make it seem really amateur for the standards of today. The one thing that makes this game stand out is the level design. The levels aren't only long and adventurous but they manage to cram in so much variety with so few tools and gimmicks. The use of the physics engine as well as the famous gravity gun is particularly commendable. However, the shooting has no weighty feel to it, and weapons don't have any recoil. Enemies take damage with no seeming impact until they die. The characters are almost non-existent because the game's lack of cutscenes prevents any real development in the story. At every point when you play Half-Life 2, you feel like you're using compiled C code rather than playing a video game. It just feels like software that's made for a specific purpose. Although the voice acting, lip-syncing and attention to detail in the environments are all top notch, the main gameplay of Half-Life 2 is just plain bland and boring despite the varied levels. It's definitely an overrated game. Expand
  38. May 7, 2014
    Hopelessly mediocre game that's on-the-rails and constantly insults my intelligence with puzzles a kids with downs could figure out. It has nice graphics, but boring gunplay and DRM called Steam. 10 years later, still no sequel to tie up the loose ends. Bottom line: Valve sucks!
  39. Bor
    May 7, 2006
    The Best Game!!!
  40. StevenH
    Nov 7, 2009
    Most overrated game on this site. Still no story, setting is a mishmash of sci-fi cliches, the whole thing is one scripted event and linear box canyon, and there was no multiplayer until terrible multiplayer was patched in.
  41. May 3, 2014
    ===========
    Half-Life 2 expands on it's predecessor and makes everything about it even better. Try the episodes as well.
  42. JasonT.
    Apr 20, 2007
    I like Half-Life 2. It's a pretty good game, but there are just a couple little things about it that irk me. I'm not talking about long load times, stuttering, bugs, etc. Most of those have been updated out of existence by now and were probably due to my comp being strictly middle of the road anyway. No, I'm talking about this sequels storyline being almost completely I like Half-Life 2. It's a pretty good game, but there are just a couple little things about it that irk me. I'm not talking about long load times, stuttering, bugs, etc. Most of those have been updated out of existence by now and were probably due to my comp being strictly middle of the road anyway. No, I'm talking about this sequels storyline being almost completely disjointed from the original, and the way the game keeps rubbing the physics engine in your face (BTW Max Payne 2 had Havok Physics as well and IMO utilized it better.) First off, I'm a huge fan of HL1 and kept looking for some explanation of what happened to Xen, these Combine guys raise a whole new slew of questions and leave the old ones completly unanswered. We aren't even given much of a hint as to how all the supporting cast of HL1 made it to City 17 from Black Mesa. When I first played, it made my head spin. It's like they took the characters from the 1st and dropped them into a completely different storyline. And yes, the 1st time they gave me a physics based puzzle I thought "wow, cool!" when every other puzzle turned out to be a variation on this theme, I started to get a little peeved. That said, the story is still enjoyable, the graphics very impressive, the combats fun, and for those of you worried about the A.I. it does get better when you turn up the difficulty. Still a little annoying that they don't start off on the level of the marines from HL1 though. It's definitely worth your time and money, just...well...do yourself a favor and pick up the 1st one too. It's still what I spend most of my time on. Expand
  43. Jeffthejiff
    Dec 4, 2004
    I'm not sure what everyones getting at about this game. It just seems like a last minute lodge-together of different game genres and styles. One minute you could be driving a beach buggy, the next you could be in Resident Evil. The storyline is non-existant or at least incredibly obscure. And the ending... well, it just made me laugh. Worst Ending Ever. Altogether it just felt like a I'm not sure what everyones getting at about this game. It just seems like a last minute lodge-together of different game genres and styles. One minute you could be driving a beach buggy, the next you could be in Resident Evil. The storyline is non-existant or at least incredibly obscure. And the ending... well, it just made me laugh. Worst Ending Ever. Altogether it just felt like a technology preview to me: just showing what games could possibly do, but forgetting to actually put a game in there somewhere. Expand
  44. Z.Zaminiski
    Dec 6, 2004
    To all you rate HL2 higher than 5 you are not doing HL2/valve or fellow gamers any favours. do NOT encourage valve to create another slightly-above average game. if you like to compare with doom3, then HL2 rates perhaps 7. i dunno who the raters are and they dont know me. however, my FPS-credentials started with the original wolfenstein 3D, so i've seen/played almost all theTo all you rate HL2 higher than 5 you are not doing HL2/valve or fellow gamers any favours. do NOT encourage valve to create another slightly-above average game. if you like to compare with doom3, then HL2 rates perhaps 7. i dunno who the raters are and they dont know me. however, my FPS-credentials started with the original wolfenstein 3D, so i've seen/played almost all the 'worthwhile' FPS until HL2. for all the new innovations (physics, facial mimic) valve fails to make the most of it. with physics we have little and easy puzzles that involves weight and counter weight - in kinder-garden are we? for human-face mimicry, minimal use in-game and lots for "story-line cut-scene". meaning it does little for gameplay. immersion you say? well, was the FinalFantasyMovie conviced anyone it was real? it was not mean to be right? but just what computer technology is capable of. we are not suppose to fall-in-luv with high-polygon-count characters are we? HL was alot better in terms of innovations, puzzles, challenges. one weapon missing from HL2 arsenal is the strategic trip-laser-mine. why is it left out in HL2? HL2 puzzles are contrived. contrived to demonstrate the physics abilities of the game engine. ramps for the airboat? who place them there? surely not the combine who must be stationed there to stop rebels? antlion sand-traps? oh my, are we having fun 'walking' about with metal doors? yawn. then there's the countless crates freeman must destroy! oh the humanity! and what is inside these big boxes but one single clip or couple of litty bitty things. who left these around? the rebels? why didn't the combine who 'own' the place clear it up? a few nice touches were when rebels throws freeman stuff/supplies! the countless explosive-barrels! how conveniently place near combine troopers for freeman to pick off. the countless barrels! are the level-designer somewhat confused? while the levels do not seemed like levels because the environment/architecture is convincingly real the gameplay suggest an arcade shooter. there are places were if freeman do not rush the 'nest' of combine they don't stop pouring out. scripts and why they are bad. that said it all actually. more scripts=more movie like but this is a game...remember? the things that happened by scripts/triggers MUST seem incidental or a direct cause of player's actions. the player in real-time causes stuff to happen, thus the joys of interacting with the game-world. like closing a door would stop a dumb flesh-zombie from entering. if the game-world pretends to be the real-world then everything should be happening simultaneously at will. the arrival of an interactive-agent, you, would immediately begin to cause effects on the environment and NPCs but thru AI not scripts. bad scripts example: it is somewhat odd dog knew to open a gap BEFORE freeman knew he had no where else to go? or if you reload a segment over and over the scripts played like a broken record? this indicate poor AI to AI interactions and AI to player interactions. Scripts are cheap and their novelty wears thin fast. scripts are much too linear, just like HL2 game/level design. exploration and wondering around is discouraged. there are a few 'secret' places to find for rewards but freeman was just being strung along. HL2 didn't try to be rainbow6. the squad you "command" are just as dumb. they mill about blocking your way or utter polite 'sorrys' and try to get out of your way. they cannot obey a simple (of two) command to stay out of trouble. while they seem to admire freeman they just never listen to him for long. there are so many thing poorly done with HL2 that it felt rush. very abrupt ending. instead of a scientist caught in something way, way over his head which he must overcome in HL, freeman becomes little more than a puppet-on-a-string. the mysterious G-Man acts mysterious, like a angel or devil nearby but not involved other than to have this condensening tone of speech. one just expected much more from valve but it does not materialize. the only thing that did was the G-man, at the end to stop the show... HL2 is merely counting on existing HL-fans and not trying to win new ones, not with short gameplay (someone 'compress' gameplay to about 3-4hrs), not with low replayability (if you knew what you knew you would play it over and over again because each time it is a little different or just as fun), not with weak (copied and mixed up from originals like 1984, aliens, resident evil/zombie flicks/starship-troopers/matrix) story line, not with steam. much like when valve came out of HL little known newcomer Far Cry does a good job (it is also linear but you can take your own sweat-time) surpassing kings of the hill - the Doom and HL series... ok for all high-raters, play it again sam? then rate it again. Expand
  45. RobS.
    Sep 9, 2006
    Good graphics but the game's too linear.
  46. Mr.Anderson
    Jan 30, 2008
    Probably the most over rated FPS game on PC ever. HL2 doesnt do anything new and is quite boring, maby a little over mediocre at best. The only thing innovative in the HL series is the gravity gun, but there were many other games that featured the ability to lift objects before HL and after.
  47. LeriO
    Apr 20, 2009
    This game has a really nice motor physic which give him a lot of interest. But the game is too short while "interactive" cinematcis are too long. The Ai is random and sometime stupid and the puzzles are just here to spend your time. There is also nothing much told us about the history in the game and, the fact that internet is needed to play a single-player game is quite annoying. This game has a really nice motor physic which give him a lot of interest. But the game is too short while "interactive" cinematcis are too long. The Ai is random and sometime stupid and the puzzles are just here to spend your time. There is also nothing much told us about the history in the game and, the fact that internet is needed to play a single-player game is quite annoying. Eventually, it could be a lot better if they were more adds like a new Ai, more chapters and more weapons. Expand
  48. Sirklick
    Jan 11, 2010
    I really wanted to like the single player because I enjoyed playing multiplayer deathmatch so much. The games engine is quite impressive -especially for its day- but the single player is a lackluster experience overall. Linear plot, little character development, no moral delemas or ambiguities, zero interaction with the story... the list of basic story-telling tenants that are lacking in I really wanted to like the single player because I enjoyed playing multiplayer deathmatch so much. The games engine is quite impressive -especially for its day- but the single player is a lackluster experience overall. Linear plot, little character development, no moral delemas or ambiguities, zero interaction with the story... the list of basic story-telling tenants that are lacking in this game is quite lengthy. The game did nothing to keep me interested but randomly throw stuff in my path for me to shoot. Level design and feel is unimaginative and dull. The various "levels" do not look or feel like they belong in the same world. To progress through the levels you complete boring and completely out of place physics puzzles (if you can even call them that) that ruin the pace of the game and doing nothing for the story or player immersion. This games single player was developed for the headcrab controlled zombie audiance. Remove the crab, it is ok to have expectations! Expand
  49. MatthijsM.
    Feb 8, 2005
    I don't get what makes people get turned on from this game. So many promises but nothing actually came true. - Totally usable environment (picking up a few wooden cabins?) - Great AI (the stupidest AI from bots ever...) - Briliant Graphics (Seen better on lots of games) The game is not worth the money, HalfLife 1 still is a classic which had lots of good moments but to me Half Life 2 I don't get what makes people get turned on from this game. So many promises but nothing actually came true. - Totally usable environment (picking up a few wooden cabins?) - Great AI (the stupidest AI from bots ever...) - Briliant Graphics (Seen better on lots of games) The game is not worth the money, HalfLife 1 still is a classic which had lots of good moments but to me Half Life 2 is just a disgrace to the first part. Thats what the 6 is for. Expand
  50. BryanN.
    Mar 16, 2005
    Okay...The graphics are nice, and the environment and effects are amazing, you can break a box into 2 pieces, and then 4 and 8,16...yeah whatever. However, Stream is a BIG problem, and the a.i sucks man, often, the a.i doesn't do what they are supposed to do, and when that happens, you are unable to complete the game.
  51. MisterB.
    Apr 22, 2005
    Excellent design and graphics but the game underneath is empty. I remember the original game was completely linear but it didn't show. Here however, the combination of very easy gameplay [I died literally five times in the whole game] and the simple fact that other games have moved on show up the rail roaded nature of the game in blazing light. It's pretty dull, take away the Excellent design and graphics but the game underneath is empty. I remember the original game was completely linear but it didn't show. Here however, the combination of very easy gameplay [I died literally five times in the whole game] and the simple fact that other games have moved on show up the rail roaded nature of the game in blazing light. It's pretty dull, take away the physics [which are never really used beyond gimmicks and simple tricks], and you left with a shell of a game. One way to go, one way to get there and nothing very interesting happening on the way. Compared to Far Cry, with it's massive levels, cunning AI [as opposed to scripted] and open ended approach to completing goals, this is just a pretty throwback. Expand
    May 17, 2006
    Mediocre, at best. Nowhere near impressive enough to warrant the hardware requirement and unacceptable load times that DON'T plague a myriad of other similar-and-better games both in and out of the FPS genre. Utter technical failure combined with a lackluster story and embarassingly bad character interaction.
  53. PolyesterBrown
    Apr 6, 2007
    A visually stunning game, but I found the gameplay to be lacking at times. Urban combat sequences are at the best that I've played, but some of the problem-solving features designed to be challenging were simply tedious and frustrating, stealing the enjoyment of gameplay. Some of the combat situations also bordered on the absurb in their degree of difficulty, and I had to refer to an A visually stunning game, but I found the gameplay to be lacking at times. Urban combat sequences are at the best that I've played, but some of the problem-solving features designed to be challenging were simply tedious and frustrating, stealing the enjoyment of gameplay. Some of the combat situations also bordered on the absurb in their degree of difficulty, and I had to refer to an online walkthrough on a handful of occasions to determine what it was that I was meant to do to progress. I don't discourage people from buying it, but Half-Life 2 made me want to play FarCry again pretty badly. Expand
  54. JohnnyP.
    Jun 15, 2007
    This is an average game. I played on hard and constantly was in question of the degree of difficulty.
  55. BradleyJ.
    Jun 7, 2008
    Game is too overrated, most who played this, didnt play it on hard. I did. 1 reason the game wasn't hard was because the code was leaked over the internet. The game was originally to be released in 2003, but since the game was leaked, it came in 2004. Game set on hard, is practically normal difficulty. Don't expect a whole lot from this game.
  56. CallumM.
    Sep 16, 2008
    Quit sucking dick. Looking back on it now, the game is mediocre at best. The only innovative thing about this game is its implementation of physics. The only time I've seen good AI is when characters have retreated to cover. Then again, not a fair example, considering 90% of the enemies are zombies/monsters and behave as they should, even if they are retarded.
  57. Mikael
    Jun 20, 2009
    Good game, good graphics and good sound. However its plagued with weak team AI in your so called team mates makes part of the game more frustrating than fun. They are in the way, the trigger traps and then stand in the way when you try to avoid what they set off. Are they all double agents for the opposing side ?
  58. AnonymousMC
    Nov 17, 2004
    well i havn't been able to play it because i don't have a internet connection at my house. i guess i'll just have to hope i can get a connection. Other wise the game seems to be really good. I'm a litle angry that the single player aspect of hte game requires an internet connection.
  59. AnonymousMC
    Dec 12, 2004
    The more I play this game, the more I am starting to dislike it - it's rapidly becoming nothing more than a linear 'if-it-moves-shoot-it' style average game. Yes, the graphics are very good, but surely gameplay is more important? The original Half Life had style and innovation; Half Life 2 has half the content and very little character.
  60. Tomek
    Dec 13, 2004
    I'm very confused with this game. It shouldn't be rated so high! There is one thing everyone forgot about... this game works bad even on best PCs on the market. I mean "audio stuttering" problem, which is discused widely on the internet forums. This issue makes all the gameplay thrashed in a while... all the key points in the plot are nothing more than one big I'm very confused with this game. It shouldn't be rated so high! There is one thing everyone forgot about... this game works bad even on best PCs on the market. I mean "audio stuttering" problem, which is discused widely on the internet forums. This issue makes all the gameplay thrashed in a while... all the key points in the plot are nothing more than one big ssss..tttt.uuuuu..ttttt.eeee..rrrr . This is annoying, yet unfixable by any official or unofficial patch. The game is really neat, but suffers from bad programming and bugs.... Expand
  61. LanceR.
    Dec 25, 2004
    I havn't even got to play the game yet and i am already going to give it a 5. This steam thing is terrible. I have know idea why a company like valve would wish me to suffer like this. I could only imagine how many other people are going through this hell like me watching for hours as i verify that i actually bought the game. I have an idea, find a way to punish the people that steal I havn't even got to play the game yet and i am already going to give it a 5. This steam thing is terrible. I have know idea why a company like valve would wish me to suffer like this. I could only imagine how many other people are going through this hell like me watching for hours as i verify that i actually bought the game. I have an idea, find a way to punish the people that steal the game, not the ones who actually bought it. Anything with the steam logo on it will be on my "not with a 10 foot pole" list. Expand
  62. RK
    Jan 17, 2005
    Facial twitches alone don't make for a good game. I can't believe this game's getting such good reviews. We waited for HOW long for this game, and this is what they come up with? Technically, it's got good graphics and a physics engine and all that stuff. Like any id game. If you're going to blast id games for being shallow, then HL2 should get blasted as well. Facial twitches alone don't make for a good game. I can't believe this game's getting such good reviews. We waited for HOW long for this game, and this is what they come up with? Technically, it's got good graphics and a physics engine and all that stuff. Like any id game. If you're going to blast id games for being shallow, then HL2 should get blasted as well. The single player is nothing more than a tech demo. Wow, Steam is great. Now get back to work on actual games. The game is overly scripted, with little to no creativity allowed in how you decide to play the game. Games like Far Cry at least partially allowed you to explore other ways of getting your mission accomplished. The feel of the game is simply hollow. You have an environment that you can interact with, but most of the time, do nothing with except solve a few rather simpleminded puzzles. Even with the AI companions it feels lifeless. It's really like playing an unfinished alpha of a game. Games like Max Payne feel much more lifelike with a storyline (yes, storyline) woven in with the gameplay. With HL2, you're not really building up any decent plot, not meeting new characters (with any sort of frequency that break what seem to be incredibly long dry spells of unimaginative gameplay), or even building up your suit or weapons. You feel like you are, quite literally, just shuffling yourself from Point A to Point B for most of the game. There are other games that deserve a 97. Half-Life 2 isn't one of them. Not even close. Expand
  63. Jogilius
    Aug 29, 2005
    + The Physics Engine. + The beginning. + The last section of the game. - Too much playing with the physics engine. - Trial and error kind of playing at some spots. - Just a dull tunnel run, excluding the beginning and the last parts of the game -> mostly not fun to play. - The game ends just as if the game makers just decided they were too lazy to continue the story. Doom3 has better + The Physics Engine. + The beginning. + The last section of the game. - Too much playing with the physics engine. - Trial and error kind of playing at some spots. - Just a dull tunnel run, excluding the beginning and the last parts of the game -> mostly not fun to play. - The game ends just as if the game makers just decided they were too lazy to continue the story. Doom3 has better action, better graphics, and better atmosphere. HL2 tries to be more than just a thrill-ride, but mostly fails at that, making the game just less enjoyable than Doom3 is. Expand
  64. CarmineR.
    Apr 17, 2006
    This game is rediculously overated. The A.I. is abysmal, story linear beyond believe, and you spend pretty much the whole game on your todd being sent down some tunnel or what not. The plot is predictable and the weapons are awful. I also didnt understand why Gordon never spoke, making him seem like a social retard. On the plus side the engine has some nice graphics and fancy physics. A This game is rediculously overated. The A.I. is abysmal, story linear beyond believe, and you spend pretty much the whole game on your todd being sent down some tunnel or what not. The plot is predictable and the weapons are awful. I also didnt understand why Gordon never spoke, making him seem like a social retard. On the plus side the engine has some nice graphics and fancy physics. A decent enough game but does nothing to improve the legacy of HL1, and there a far superior titles out there now (Far Cry and Call of Duty 2), neither of which need the staming trud that is steam. Expand
  65. ScottE
    Nov 5, 2007
    I was rather disappointed with this game. The hype and praise this game did not seem to reflect the actual game. Game play was inventive at first and then rather bland, alternating between lots of options to vast emptiness. The physics engine allows you to do quite a bit, but often gets in your way as well. Control set up is outdated and needs an update. Weapons tend to lack ammo or I was rather disappointed with this game. The hype and praise this game did not seem to reflect the actual game. Game play was inventive at first and then rather bland, alternating between lots of options to vast emptiness. The physics engine allows you to do quite a bit, but often gets in your way as well. Control set up is outdated and needs an update. Weapons tend to lack ammo or effectiveness, and specific weapon areas are prone to endless reload chests, removing any challenge. Squad AI for what sections you have a Squad range from ADD mental to not helpful, and also remove enemy challenge from levels. Overall the game is average. Expand
  66. StuartW.
    Nov 6, 2007
    After all the hype of this game I finally got it with the Orange Box. After playing for a bit I have uninstalled the game, bored with the very linar gameplay. While the graphics were good I could not call it the best of the time. I can go on about this game but I am so glad I never brought it new. The engine will release good games much like the orginal but with newer and better engines After all the hype of this game I finally got it with the Orange Box. After playing for a bit I have uninstalled the game, bored with the very linar gameplay. While the graphics were good I could not call it the best of the time. I can go on about this game but I am so glad I never brought it new. The engine will release good games much like the orginal but with newer and better engines now coming out HL2's engine will just be another one in the pile to chose from. Amazing that a company that had so much time to make a good game they still chose to not stress the player with too many options on how to play. I give it a 6 as while the engine is good, the gameplay and hype have ruined what could of been a good game. Expand
  67. AnonymousMC
    Mar 1, 2007
    i loved the game even though the load times and the vehical parts got annoying fast but what i really hated bad was STUPID STEAM this i think killed the game because i had to wait to get an internet connection on my new pc to even play the single player, this i found really anoying and i hope that the next games wont have steam
  68. PeterM.
    May 20, 2007
    Carrot-on-a-stick gameplay is unsatisfying. In-game physics detract from the game with trivial "puzzles" that only waste your time. Vastly overrated.
  69. BobFreeman
    Aug 22, 2007
    6/10 !! I just tried the demo... Ok, we are on 2007. HF2 still have beautiful gameplay and graphism music and sound. But I am sorry I don't like. The game is fully scripted, ennemies appear from nowhere. I don't feel free during the game. I have quited the demo before finishing the last level because it's boring, there are too many ennemies for nothing. I am angry...
  70. johonfdse
    Sep 15, 2007
    Great game, the bad thing is, is that you are forced to be A) you have to have a steam account b) if you forget that information you loose the game B) you have to have a internet connection to play, so you cannot play it "on the go" the good things A) if your CD gets scratched you can download the game from anywhere from the internet B) great graphics C) nice plot.
  71. Whocares?
    Oct 15, 2008
    I can't understand why people like this so much, yes the physics are nice and all, but I get puzzle after puzzle forced on me, and they're not even interesting, they're just, use generic artificial gravity this, throw switch that, it's just not fun, expressions on faces are nice, but nowhere near perfect.
  72. ManuB.
    Oct 24, 2008
    Great game, incredibly polished and great story line but several flaws that stopped it being as fun as it's predecessor. 1) Weapons - Grav gun is great, the rest... disappointing. SMG is sooo inaccurate not worth having. 3-4 charger the WHOLE game for the assault rifle. Guns in HL1 were sooo much better. 2) Enemies - Ravensholm was great, fighting the aliens is really fun. Great game, incredibly polished and great story line but several flaws that stopped it being as fun as it's predecessor. 1) Weapons - Grav gun is great, the rest... disappointing. SMG is sooo inaccurate not worth having. 3-4 charger the WHOLE game for the assault rifle. Guns in HL1 were sooo much better. 2) Enemies - Ravensholm was great, fighting the aliens is really fun. Unfortunalatly there was way less divercity in aliens then in HL1 and you spend most of the rest of the game fighting the same generic soldier again and again and... Expand
  73. KentO.
    Dec 18, 2004
    What is the DEAL with that stupid STEAM crap ?!!!! If I had known the following, I would have SAVED my money: -ONline registration was required to play the game -Endlessly waiting for Steam to update and validate all files before being allowed to even PLAY the game -Putting up with anomolous problems whereby Steam cannot connect - thereby preventing or delaying my ability to play the game What is the DEAL with that stupid STEAM crap ?!!!! If I had known the following, I would have SAVED my money: -ONline registration was required to play the game -Endlessly waiting for Steam to update and validate all files before being allowed to even PLAY the game -Putting up with anomolous problems whereby Steam cannot connect - thereby preventing or delaying my ability to play the game -With all this "authentication" going on, STILL being forced to keep the CD in the pc to be able to play the game -The game crashes (alot) even with a powerful pc and video card -The game takes at least 3.5 minutes just to load up fully to start playing a game. The game's graphics are very good, and it is quite entertaining, but Please, PLEASE - GET RID OF THAT STUPID STEAM CRAP ! When I BUY a game, I EXPECT to be able to play it out of the box, NOT after endless authentication and Internet registration !!!! Expand
  74. AlanK.
    Dec 21, 2004
    Good game, only average, linear game, player has no say in where to go, how to attack a situation, graphics are average, the only outstanding thing is the characters animation and the physics but the rest is flat and non responsive. FarCry is a much much much better game, superior in every way, they should have just bought the farcry engine and modded it for HL2 instead of delay afterGood game, only average, linear game, player has no say in where to go, how to attack a situation, graphics are average, the only outstanding thing is the characters animation and the physics but the rest is flat and non responsive. FarCry is a much much much better game, superior in every way, they should have just bought the farcry engine and modded it for HL2 instead of delay after delay for this run of the mill game. you'll play it once, no replay value at all. Expand
  75. Victor
    Dec 19, 2006
    Very disappointing. It provided very limited gameplay, where half the time I was cruising around on a boat. Graphics were okay, but just barely ahead of their time, and the 5 year wait was definately not worth it. The game itself is nothing like the original half life. I remember playing Half Life on hard. And that wasn't a joke, where towards the end I was saving every step. Half Very disappointing. It provided very limited gameplay, where half the time I was cruising around on a boat. Graphics were okay, but just barely ahead of their time, and the 5 year wait was definately not worth it. The game itself is nothing like the original half life. I remember playing Half Life on hard. And that wasn't a joke, where towards the end I was saving every step. Half Life 2 just seems like a walk in the park, I don't even really bother to notice enemies that much because who cares when you are given a rocket launcher that will kill a helicopter super easy. Feels chill, but gets boring. Expand
  76. yoyo
    Feb 17, 2008
    Boring, boring, boring, this game was made for noobs that get distracted easily and settle for an average FPSs with no plot, and dumb scripted AI Con- In game, you play a slightly retarded mute who in known by all, you get you hand held most of the game, so there is hardly any thinking involved, when you beat the last boss you end up feeling like you accomplished nothing more then Boring, boring, boring, this game was made for noobs that get distracted easily and settle for an average FPSs with no plot, and dumb scripted AI Con- In game, you play a slightly retarded mute who in known by all, you get you hand held most of the game, so there is hardly any thinking involved, when you beat the last boss you end up feeling like you accomplished nothing more then waisting your time. Its like a bazillion MBs to install, and it takes longer to load levels then it takes to beat them. Pro- There are a quite a few mods that made the MP version fun. Expand
  77. AnonymousMC
    Sep 15, 2008
    Would Give It 8 Or 9 But You Have To Go Through All Of The Steam Stufff Which Sucks! This Game Won't Even Let You Play Singleplayer Mode Unless You're Connected To The Net. If Steam Goes Bellyup Or You Don't Have Internet You Have Nothing The Game Is Worthless ,Think?? About It
    Nov 17, 2004
    A good game let down only by its terrible ending! Not as good as Half-Life!
  79. DemonicAngel
    Dec 28, 2004
    This game is possibly the most overhyped and overrated game to be released for the PC since the original Half-Life. -- GOOD STUFF: graphics are very nice, if not up to the standards of Doom3. Character animation is wonderful, and the facial expressions are extremely convincing, which helps you to care about the people you'll be fighting alongside. Sound design is also good, though This game is possibly the most overhyped and overrated game to be released for the PC since the original Half-Life. -- GOOD STUFF: graphics are very nice, if not up to the standards of Doom3. Character animation is wonderful, and the facial expressions are extremely convincing, which helps you to care about the people you'll be fighting alongside. Sound design is also good, though again the sound engine can't compare to Doom3's. -- BAD STUFF: the game is completely linear, and whilst there are some nice set pieces scattered about infrequently, for the most part the gameplay is fairly samey. And where's this supposed deep storyline? So far all I've had are flimsy justifications to go from one place to another, backed up by a plot that has so far been lacklustre both in its content and its execution. And the bugs... let's not even go there. -- Out of this game and Doom3, I'd take Doom3 every time. It may be just as repetitive, if not more so, but it can scare me, it makes me feel something. Half-Life 2, like the original, makes me feel cheated. Expand
  80. Jan 25, 2011
    An overrated game, though I am reviewing it 7 years later from release. The plot is pretty poor, the characters are extremely boring, I don't have empathy for anyone here. The gravity gun is fun for a bit, then it is used outside of what is expected from the developers - I was using it to make staircases, and have other "fun" outside of the scripted level. Very good at the time, but nowAn overrated game, though I am reviewing it 7 years later from release. The plot is pretty poor, the characters are extremely boring, I don't have empathy for anyone here. The gravity gun is fun for a bit, then it is used outside of what is expected from the developers - I was using it to make staircases, and have other "fun" outside of the scripted level. Very good at the time, but now somewhat boring. Expand
  81. Apr 25, 2011
    Bad History, Bad Graphics , Very Bad songs and extreme boring. I really don't like this game and don't understand why it gets so good score. Its my opinion and never gonna be back.. Valve create huge games but this game, he best production sucks.
  82. Sep 29, 2011
    I will begin by saying that if you thought that the original Half-Life was one of the best gaming experiences ever, you will be grossly disappointed by Half-Life 2. The differences and lack of continuation easily outnumber the similarities. First, there was the unexpected motion sickness. I was surprised to discover, upon Google searching, that many others also were put through the sameI will begin by saying that if you thought that the original Half-Life was one of the best gaming experiences ever, you will be grossly disappointed by Half-Life 2. The differences and lack of continuation easily outnumber the similarities. First, there was the unexpected motion sickness. I was surprised to discover, upon Google searching, that many others also were put through the same discomforting extreme nausea. In short, the game is repetitive, surprisingly linear, lacking severely in storyline, and not much really happens. You just go from point to point, without not very much explanation. I should also mention that you should expect to spend between two and three hours driving around in vehicles; which I did not appreciate in any way. I like the Combine soldiers; they are cool, but besides them, there truly aren't many interesting enemies or a good variety of them. Another letdown is that you cannot inflict damage to friendly NPCs like in the original Half-Life. This really bothered me. Also, why are Vortigaunts suddenly my friends, without any explanation whatsoever? Squad members are close to useless and have no real point in being there except for acting as decoy and getting in the way of your path. Valve decided it was a good idea to include incredibly annoying and cheap techno music at times, which disrupts the dark mood and atmosphere. There are too many situations where you are forced to shoot at the same, ever repeating, large, uninteresting targets with an RPG. The boss fights (if you can even call them that) are not creative at all. They are uneventful, uninteresting, and anti-climatic. Overall, Half-Life 2 lacks a story, depth, and creativity. It took me about 21 hours to complete. Expand
  83. May 6, 2012
    This game was okay, as I am a fan of FPS games in all of their glory, I gotta say I can spot a linear game from a mile away. I have played through the entire game (plus Ep.1 and 2) and it was a average game but it wasn't mind-blowing in my opinion. I am also not saying the game was bad, hence me scoring it a 6.
  84. Jul 10, 2013
    I just beat it for the first time so here is an unbiased non nostalgia review.

Overall for the time when it came out the game is outstanding. You can see that it inspired many aspects in other games and is worth playing. However taken with a grain of salt the game (like most popular historical games) is over hyped due to the mystery of half life 3 and the nostalgia it brings to many.
    I just beat it for the first time so here is an unbiased non nostalgia review.

Gameplay: The game does a great job of incorporating puzzles without it being too obvious forcing you to think and use your mind without hand holding. The shooting is good but I admit having only a crossbow with a zoom is a bit annoying, I get that modern games make it too easy with every gun having a scope but none is a downer. Some of the difficulty also just becomes annoying at times instead of challenging, I found part of this mainly to do w/the graphics/lighting making it hard to see what you need to do.

Graphics: Stand the test of time and makes you think less of modern games that they have not improved more.

Story: This was my biggest complaint. I understand there is half life 1 and the half life 2 episodes but standing alone the story is not good. It is not clearly explained when only a little summary here and there would make it better. You do not really have a purpose in the game as you are just directed from point A to point B helping a resistance (but not with any goal or objective). You should not have to read wikis and time lines and history of things to understand the story of a game.

Gameplay: 4/5
    Graphics: 5/5
    Story: 2/5
  85. Jun 27, 2013
    I'm very disappointing.

Yes, this is a good FPS, it will entertain you. You will kill aliens and gards of city 17 with the greatest hero of video game, he shots and that's all. He never talks a word, or something, just follow his friends to save the world. You will like the world where you evoluate and the alliens jumps and attack you with suprise, I was scary. And for a lot of
    I'm very disappointing.

Yes, this is a good FPS, it will entertain you.
    He never talks a word, or something, just follow his friends to save the world.
    And for a lot of hours, you will like that, but take episode 1 and 2, because the end of the game isn't the "real" end.

I like this but, I'm amaze of the Half life 2's reward. All gamers say "Best game of the decade" and ultra-fanboys say "Best game ever of all times for the centuries to the centuries".
    I love half life 2 but I didn't see something of marking.

Maybe it's me and my tastes of sh**
    Maybe the game undergo the old age, the evolution of FPS, and that's not "actual"
    Maybe the game was overestimates since its sold.
    Maybe the game is always overestimates.
    I don't know.

For conclusion. Yes, you will enjoy for 15h hours the pleasure to control "the Freman" and kill ennemies, with difficulties for many times (congratulations to striders).

And maybe you will join the anothers gamers for say "This is the most experience gaming of the world".

Or you should can say "What the hell No multi No openworlds A lot of sh**"

Or you will think like me "Maybe I miss something, or the game takes 9 years, or another reason but I don't receiveid the best experience ever.
    But I enjoy this game and Freeman accomplished the first objective of a game entertain the gamers. And thanks for this Valve"

(Sorry for my english, I'm french)
  86. Jun 25, 2014
    The correct way to make a standard fps.
    Good story, unique enemies, cool characters, and for 2004, it was pretty good!
    The only thing it lacked was weapon variety, but that's easily overlooked.
  87. Nov 20, 2013
    Half-Life 2 has been an interesting yet mixed experience… At times throughout playing the game my interest just fell completely flat and I couldn't play it any-more and yet at other times I just couldn't stop playing… So I feel the story and action elements were very much hit and miss, however the graphics are flawless. I’m unsure if they've ever been updated but for a 2004 game it’s gotHalf-Life 2 has been an interesting yet mixed experience… At times throughout playing the game my interest just fell completely flat and I couldn't play it any-more and yet at other times I just couldn't stop playing… So I feel the story and action elements were very much hit and miss, however the graphics are flawless. I’m unsure if they've ever been updated but for a 2004 game it’s got incredible textures! The most frustrating thing about this game is when Gordon is joined by a group of soldiers and they continually trap you in rooms by clogging a doorway, minor issue but seriously annoying… Spinning more positively, the enemies were great, the majority of the environments were interesting and it was a generally good game. Expand
  88. Apr 4, 2016
    This is a unique blend of platforming, puzzling, driving and shooting . The game is fast paced, tense and ultra-responsive. The game makes ample use of physics and it is still fun to interact with them to this day . There are some genuinely fun sections and the overall design of the levels feels fresh, playful, and rarely repetitive Ironically, the main reason for which this game isThis is a unique blend of platforming, puzzling, driving and shooting . The game is fast paced, tense and ultra-responsive. The game makes ample use of physics and it is still fun to interact with them to this day . There are some genuinely fun sections and the overall design of the levels feels fresh, playful, and rarely repetitive Ironically, the main reason for which this game is regarded as one of the best FPS of all time, is precisely because shooting is far from being the only scope of the game. That said, the game suffers from some serious pacing issues, where certain sections are dragged way too long to the point of annoyance. This game could have easily been 30% shorter and that would have made it that much more enjoyable. The visuals are clean and easy on the eyes yet the overall audio-visual experience is quite dull; Half-life 2 is just not a very pretty game, it has never been. Pair that with a lackluster story, and few annoying design choices, and you end up with an experience that despite being remarkable in more than a few ways is hard to qualify as anything more than "pretty good". So here you have it, Half-Life 2 is a pretty good game that is commendable in many respects and despite not being deprived of charm, ultimately fails to inspire. Expand
  89. Mar 15, 2015
    remind me, why is this game so popular again? what does it do so well/uniquely that makes it one of the best games ever? frankly, this game is one of the most overrated games ever, not in the sense that it is bad, but in the sense that people say it is that good. it isnt. these games really dont' stand as their own franchise. i cant think of a single thing this game does better than anyremind me, why is this game so popular again? what does it do so well/uniquely that makes it one of the best games ever? frankly, this game is one of the most overrated games ever, not in the sense that it is bad, but in the sense that people say it is that good. it isnt. these games really dont' stand as their own franchise. i cant think of a single thing this game does better than any other game of its own genre. the level design is lame, the enemy AI is laughable, and it is hyped to oblivion. Expand
  90. Feb 19, 2015
    Not so good that i expected. The game is boring in most of levels, they are repeating everything again. Chapters 3, 4, 6 ( and more i think) dont have story just doing the same thing. And others chapters are just cutscenes in first person. The only good thing about this game is story and gravity gun, but gameplay is just awful. And the worst part is chapter 6 (Ravenholm). God, this isNot so good that i expected. The game is boring in most of levels, they are repeating everything again. Chapters 3, 4, 6 ( and more i think) dont have story just doing the same thing. And others chapters are just cutscenes in first person. The only good thing about this game is story and gravity gun, but gameplay is just awful. And the worst part is chapter 6 (Ravenholm). God, this is worst level i saw in all my life. Very bad. Very bad. I could talk all day about this game fails. Portal was much, much better (TF2 also). I dont recommend spending a dollar on it. Better buy a pile of bricks! ( Sorry for bad english). Expand
  91. May 19, 2015
    Pros:
    + incredible pacing/level design
    + well thought out world
    + solid controls
    Cons:
    - lack of soundtrack
    - lackluster story

Final score: 7/10, 3/5
  92. Feb 17, 2016
    I'm actually impressed with Half-Life 2 as I were extremely let down with Half-Life. Half-Life 2 isn't as boring as Half-Life 1. Better story which is why I'll give it 7 out of 10
  93. Nov 12, 2015
    I do not enjoy this game that much but i do understand how people do enjoy it.
    I think it is overated but is by no means a bad game.
    Overall a pretty good game
  94. JulianM.
    Jun 20, 2007
    Well.... 96%?? Excuse me? Maybe it's graphically good and has good physical engine. But remember- it appeared in November. And what appeared in march the same year? Far Cry. And it got only 89 %, while it's much better better than HL2 and makes it look funny.
  95. AndrewM.
    Jan 4, 2010
    A good FPS game that is fun, but its creative effort can't compete with the previous game.
  96. Jon
    Jan 1, 2005
    While playing through this game I kept waiting for the awesome moments I had been hearing about for the past month from my friends. Driving under the docks and knocking out the supports, Ravenholm being scarier than Doom 3, the GG being able to pick up anything and hurtling it... etc. The fact is I played this game and didn't feel that electricity and near ecstacy that other people While playing through this game I kept waiting for the awesome moments I had been hearing about for the past month from my friends. Driving under the docks and knocking out the supports, Ravenholm being scarier than Doom 3, the GG being able to pick up anything and hurtling it... etc. The fact is I played this game and didn't feel that electricity and near ecstacy that other people felt. For most of the game I felt like I was being advertised to for this great new engine Valve has created. Instead of "OMG THAT WAS AN AWESOME MOMENT!" it was "alright- i solved your puzzle using your engine... now what?" The most fantastic moments I had during this game had nothing to do with the engine. Commanding a group of aliens and attacking a Combine base, throwing a grenade behind a wall and watching bodies go flying just before whipping out my shotgun and blasting my way through a group of enemies. Half Life 2 does nothing new in the genre- it is simply an improvement on the physics games like UT2k4 have given us while giving us some awesome action. This is definitely not the "end all" that gamers were promised, but somehow the PC hype machine managed to make it so. Summary: HL2 is a very fun game that doesn't do anything new and markets a physics engine to other developers. Expand
  97. AlexH.
    May 7, 2007
    The game was quite sweet, but I think they could have made more out of it... When I play, I don't feel like Gordon nor I am really depressed of the atmosphere... (...and I guess I actually should be ;) )
  98. B'chandrasekarB.
    Aug 4, 2007
    the game has high quality but the game play isent as great as they say it is . Still it is one of the top games out there
  99. SteveJ.
    Jan 19, 2005
    The Steam set up is so annoying for anyone on a modem that I'll never buy another Valve/Steam product again. For the game, if you're lucky enough to get it running, it is beautifully done as far as the environment goes. The gameplay is fun and the graphics are the best out there, except for Far Cry. (Make sure you have a fast GPU) I found the game to work well and to be The Steam set up is so annoying for anyone on a modem that I'll never buy another Valve/Steam product again. For the game, if you're lucky enough to get it running, it is beautifully done as far as the environment goes. The gameplay is fun and the graphics are the best out there, except for Far Cry. (Make sure you have a fast GPU) I found the game to work well and to be enjoyable. The story line was good too. Overall I enjoyed this game, but feel the overhyped accolades by most review sites are caused by their fear of not fitting in. The game falls flat on the absolute linearity of the gameplay. There's only one way to go. It is so well done that I didn't mind it for the most part, but there is really no ingenuity involved to play the game. You just slog from one sequence to another. Still a pretty good game that would be much better without Steam. Expand
  100. JaneDoe
    Jan 9, 2005
    Overrated. Can't compare with Far Cry, Deus Ex, Call of Duty, or Medal of Honor.
  101. Nov 12, 2011
    Half Life 2 is one of the best games I have ever played, the storyline is fantastic! On the very first level you get sucked into the world of City 17. Basically the game takes place years after HL1. You are a scientist named Gordon Freeman and your mission is to try and stop the Combine from wiping out humanity all together. The Physics are very well done thanks to the Source Engine. TheHalf Life 2 is one of the best games I have ever played, the storyline is fantastic! On the very first level you get sucked into the world of City 17. Basically the game takes place years after HL1. You are a scientist named Gordon Freeman and your mission is to try and stop the Combine from wiping out humanity all together. The Physics are very well done thanks to the Source Engine. The sounds and graphics are also very good as well.

Bravo Valve!