9.2

1. Aug 31, 2013
    Once in a while, a game comes along that takes what previous games in that genre had and makes it better. Half-Life 2 does that and it's amazing. For a game released in 2004, it ages very well, the graphics are the best I've seen when the game came out and it was a long while until another game came along to surpass the spectacular visuals. The controls are not groundbreaking nor spectacular, they're simple and fun to use, especially in vehicles. This is not a war shooter or a bullet-hell one, it's more of a puzzle game at times, but you have to find the puzzles. This game works at your own pace, there are no cut-scenes, it's all in first person, so you find everything for yourself. This game gives you a freedom that most FPS games did not have at the time. If your not spoiled by the FPSs of today, you'll fall in love with this game. Expand
  2. Jul 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SIMPLY THE BEST Everything about this game is AWESOME I wasn't that much of a gamer but when I played the first Half Life I became one. The first one was ok. But when I played the second one, I was Mind blown. First the graphics and physics back then were awesome. The AI was great (although today is way better), the textures were great, the gameplay felt very good. As for the story it was really good and mysterious, with the old characters from the first one and adding some really cool characters. Cant wait for Half Life 3! Expand
  3. Nov 29, 2013
    An all time classic. Even after playing through Half-Life 2 many times, I still get alot of fun out of the playing it. Almost everything about the game is top notch: the levels, characters, music, sound and graphical style. The game's physics were at the time unheard of and still even today are quite good in how you can use the gravity gun to pick up and throw objects at enemies and to solve puzzles. As you play, you will see the characters develop and you will start to care about them and how they interact. The whole game being a long continuous level is also really cool as you can clearly see how the whole game links together. If I were to nitpick the game, the vehicle sections are a little too long, especially the car levels, but this is just a minor complaint really. If you haven't played this where have you been?!?!? Expand
  4. Jul 8, 2013
    The powerful source engine combined with the awesome graphics of this first person shooter makes a great experience, while AI can be bad at times, and some chapters like Root Kanal and Water Hazard can be drawn out and get really boring. The game is overall, a great game that has interesting characters that you actually care about. And for 2004 standards, that's not so bad.
  5. Jul 20, 2013
    There is only one word that comes to mind when I think of this game, miraculous. Half-Life 2 is the a perfect example of a game that can make a FPS feel like the point of the game is not just to shoot everything in sight. It blends puzzle, action, adventure, and the creepy feel of it's environments together so well, that it's no overstatement to say that it is one of the greatest games of all time. Expand
  6. Aug 7, 2013
    Far, FAR better thanthe origonal. The beefed up the graphics, and yet my laptop could still play it very well. New aliens appear and old ones get a nice new polish added to them. Having breakable environments and the new grav gun and ability to pick up items makes the world far more interactive and easy to emerse yourself in this game.

If you have played the first one and not this one
    then what the hell are you doing? Expand
  7. Aug 7, 2013
    when I was young I had a very crappy PC. no much games would run on it. so I an somehow raised by half-life 1 and 2. I feel sorry for my friends with their awesome PC's who thought this game is to crappy for them. I can't even recall how many times I've played this game and other half-life series parts. It always had that new exciting taste every time you start.
  8. Sep 30, 2013
    This game is truly amazing in every way. Great storytelling and great gameplay combine into one of, if not THE, best shooter of all time. I have found myself playing it multiple times, and still enjoying it just as much as the first time.
  9. Mar 1, 2014
    This game is just wonderful. It has a great story, great atmosphere and most of all characters which you won't forget quickly. I think it's more an adventure FPS, where you can discover a world with interesting enemies and places (even if it's linear). The physics engine and graphics are also revolutionary and changed the FPS!
    PS: Do yourself a favour and DON'T DOWNLOAD THE CINEMATIC MOD!
    It destroys the atmosphere, characters and gameplay of Half-Life 2! Expand
  10. Feb 14, 2014
    A true memorable game with great mechanics and story. This is one of my favorite games and I really hope that it'll have a sequell with the same or better quality.
  11. Nov 17, 2013
    There is only 4 games that I would give a 10/10 Half Life 2 is one of them. My favoraite mission is in Ravenholm. Very very jumpy from the zombies. The best thing about Half Life 2 is the Gravity gun and the voice acting. They are great. Th voice acting is great in my opinion. The best character has got to be DOG. It's in caps for a reason. DOG is amazing you can play fetch with him and I made him spaz out. I mean like I was not playing with DOG. I was playing with Alex. DOG was on the barrel and Alex was throwing rock at me. Funniest glitch ever! If you have never played this game I suggest you do. You are missing out on a lot.

Overall
    -Funny Glitches
    -Amazing voice acting
    -DOG
    -Gravity Gun
    Score 100/100
  12. NLS
    Jan 21, 2014
    There is a reason I review this 10 years after its release. Even today, this game is a MONUMENT to gaming. So many things done so right. It stands well (actually great) even today. We see many of the concepts other games used after HL2, here in their original form. Actually some things in HL2 are still not implemented (properly) in other games of the genre. Pity Valve is weird about the release of sequels (Portal/Portal 2 another example). This game REALLY REALLY deserves a fantastic HL3 (which is possibly what Valve is afraid of).
    This is the other game from Valve that needs to be (and actually is, topping some) in EVERY "best games of all times" list.
    Who ever doesn't have this, yes 10 years after release go and get it.
  13. Nov 18, 2013
    Half-Life 2. There is so much to say, and the true greatness of this game cannot be expressed in a simple review. After playing through this game, you look back and just want to play it again, to experience it all over again. Even today, Half-Life 2 still holds up in the 'looks' department, running on Valve's truly amazing Source engine. What makes Half-Life 2 so great, you might ask? What makes this game from 2004 still one of the best games ever made? Let me indulge you.

As a preface to this review, I implore you to play the original Half-Life. Otherwise, this review may be a little confusing. Although playing Half-Life is not needed to understand Half-Life 2, it certainly helps in terms of the story line.

The game begins with a greeting from 'G-Man', a familiar face from the previous Half-Life games that can be seen wandering throughout Black Mesa in Half-Life. After G-Man ends his tidings, you awaken on a tram headed for 'City 17'.You have no idea why you are on the tram, or what you are doing, but you know that something is afoot. You are Gordon Freeman, a bearded scientist that used to work at Black Mesa as a physicist. This brings me to 'point one', of what makes this game truly great. Instead of being a burly super-human bullet sponge trooper with the 'generic rifle 9000' strapped to your back, you play a mute physicist. Yes, a mute physicist. This makes it a lot easier to get immersed into the game and feel like you are Gordon Freeman. This is enhanced by the fact that Freeman does not speak throughout the course of the game, allowing you, the player, to think what you wish and not be told what you are thinking by your character bursting out in song.

The story line of Half-Life 2 is a wonder to play. I won't spoil any of it for you, you'll have to experience it for yourself. A myriad of characters help Freeman on his way, fleshing out the world and making the places Freeman explores seem alive... or dead, as the case may be. Brilliant voice acting from all of the cast puts the cherry on the cake and does wonders to immerse you in the story of Gordon Freeman.

But what about gameplay? Surely gameplay is the most important thing in a GAME. Don't fret Half-Life 2's gameplay is some of the best in any game. Ever. Forget lousy 2 gun limits and boring AK-47s Freeman can carry a whole truckload of weapons and grenades; all tuned to fit in with the setting and the world. From the early pistol to the RPG and the combine weaponry, the guns in Half-Life 2 do not disappoint. The weapons feel good too they have a nice oomph to them and feel like they should as well as the animations being great across the board. Even by today's standards. And we're talking about a game that's almost 10 years old. But, it's not just guns. Oh no. Ohhhhh no. A bit into the game, you get the Gravity Gun the star of the show. With this beauty, you can lift and throw physics objects. This may seem boring at first, but wait until you pick up a buzzsaw and shoot it at that headcrab, splitting it in two. That feels awesome. But, it's not just a one-gun show. Throughout different levels, you get different, cool weapons to try. At one point, your Gravity Gun even becomes supercharged, letting you throw PEOPLE. Yes, you pick up enemies and throw them at each other.

What more can I say about this game? You owe it to yourself to play this if you haven't already. Log on to, or get Steam, and go buy it now. You'll thank me later. Trust me. This game is truly worthy of its legendary status in the hearts of many gamers. You don't even need a beast PC to play it either. As I said, 2004. You can run it. Trust me.

10/10. From the heart. One of the best games ever made.

"Wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up, and smell the ashes."
  14. Nov 21, 2013
    This game is one of those scarce ones that could survive the years to come. Hell, if the planet would be destroyed I want this piece of art to be saved along with couple of other great paintings, movies and books. If you haven't played Half-Life 2 yet, then go ahead, and don't get discouraged by the graphics, which are in my opinion still pretty good. This masterpiece provides much more. The Atmosphere, the story, the voice acting, the humor, environments, revolutionary gameplay, that many titles copy to this day. There is nothing else to say. Half-Life 2 is worth more than those 7 euro that it is now on Steam. Dont forget the DLCs, Happy shooting! Expand
  15. Nov 27, 2013
    If you have not played this game yet, you are missing out! This could probably be Valve's best game yet! But that's just my opinion. Now I have one more question, can we please have HL3 now? Please, Gabe?
  16. Nov 30, 2013
    This is truly the best game i've ever played in my whole entire half life. *Pun* I can play it over and over again without getting bored. The storytelling, characters, music and physics is amazing and it's probably the best FPS of all time. (Including the Portal series)
  17. Dec 3, 2013
    Il miglior gioco che ho mai giocato trama fantastica,personaggi fantastici,gameplay vario e buono,molte armi molto fighe e non penso di aver trovato qualche errore
  18. Dec 16, 2013
    Half Life 2 is pure gaming high school at its best. Since the release of the first episode, Half Life put itself as a model of excellence for all other FPS (and not only FPS...). This second episode not only absolutely confirms the unique values of its predecessor, but also introduces new, incredible features to the first masterpiece. Incredible physics engine and physics puzzles above all.

Any gamer that calls himself a gamer should play this artwork at least once. This is gaming history at its most glorious peaks. No one should miss it.
  19. Dec 21, 2013
    Wow, was amazed. The first game I played was the first half life, and it was amazing, accept the old graphics. Half life 2 was even more amazing, the combination of the action and the puzzles were awesome, I have played many modern first person shooter games, but even if it's 10 years old, this is the best. And about the graphics, you can always play cinematic mod.
  20. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half Life 2 is the best game ever!!! Even though multiplayer is not that popular, we really need to look at the story. I can't stop playing Half Life 2!!! So much mystery and Half Life 2 has the best gameplay. Half Life 2 has a really good weapon's sounds and you can kind of feel the weapon like it's in your hands. There are really great characters like Alyx, Barney and other people you meet, and there are some characters that you want to beat up like Dr. Breen and G-Man. Guns are awesome too. I can't believe that in the end of the game they also take your normal Gravity Gun and make it a Super Gravity Gun. And The only thing I might not really like is that you don't have a sniper rifle, but it's good that Valve at least put a crossbow in the game. I also like the physics. Source made this game awesome and the graphics are still better than some games we play today!!! Expand
  21. Dec 23, 2013
    It's just amazing game. Physics looks really realistic and shooting system is great. My jaw has dropped after playing this for 30 minutes. Valve's done a great work. Graphics looks nice for 2004 and story is really addictive. I want to see next episode, Half-Life 3 or Half-Life 2: Episode Three. No words, the best game EVER.
  22. Dec 30, 2013
    A heavily anticipated sequel to the seminally influential Half-Life, Half-Life 2 is an indubitably well-executed and enthralling media experience. The game artfully exemplifies a precipiced human race beset with the horror of a xenocratic dystopia whilst also providing interaction and levity with relatable characters, both central and minor. From the very outset, I was immersed in the eerie mystique of the opening characters and the ostensibly artificial setting. The player's character, Gordon Freeman, never speaks, nor does he need to; his humanity and heroism become progressively apparent as the player completes the game, despite the perennial air of mystery he conveys.

The immersive realism of the game is brilliantly augmented by precise and complex game physics, impressive facial animation, and the perpetual necessity for the player to utilise his environment to complete chapters, rather than the gameplay being excessively linear and unchallenging.
    The dark, tyrannical undertones of the game stir the player to empathise with the plight of the fledgling resistance movement and become further psychologically involved in the plot. Half-Life 2 is gripping, stimulating and revolutionary. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
  23. Jan 6, 2014
    Truly, Half life 2 was one of the most polished games ever. Its refreshing to see a linear game that focuses on level design and not multiplayer. I have played the game several times, and it never fails to satisfy. there is a superb job on voice acting and story telling. Moreover, the graphics were unheard of at the time. the physics were sublime, and the game could be scary at parts. In the beginning, its more sneaking around and trying to get from place to place, then it becomes scary, then it becomes an all out battle. I love the way the game progresses. Expand
  24. Jan 8, 2014
    Half life 2:
    +Amazing Graphics+
    +Nice Characters+
    +Nice Storyline+
    +Nice Weapons+
    +Great Enemies+
    +Strong AI+

Half life 2 is Awesome, still playing it!
  25. Jan 12, 2014
    G-Man: Rise and shine, Mister Freeman. Rise and... shine. Not that I... wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No one is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your hour has... come again.
    G-Man: The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So, wake up, Mister Freeman. Wake up
    and... *smell the ashes*... The game is just amazing. Expand
  26. Jan 19, 2014
    This is the game of the games.YOU might think it is bad now because of the graphics, but back in the day, it was simply out of this world. So not judge it with games like BF3, or ARMA or COD. If you look at the games released back then, most of them were **** If you want to compare Half-Life with others games, then wait for Half-Life 3.
  27. Jan 20, 2014
    Half Life 2 has reached such a level of the story, the characters, the atmosphere that it can not be called just a game. Everything about this game is amazing it is a must buy, you will know what I mean if you play this game. I would give it an 11/10 if I could.
  28. Jan 28, 2014
    This is one of my favourites. It's long and has nice traps that you can use. Even enemies were cool. Sometimes the AI annoys me but usually it's fine. The welcome to Ravenholm was my favourite part of the game.
  29. Feb 24, 2014
    It is a amazing game i have finished it 3 times so i feel i have a pretty good understanding of what the game is sure there is a few small bugs. That's the only thing i found wrong where the small bugs.
  30. Mar 6, 2014

Atmosphere 10
    Length 10

Half life 2 is Awesome
  31. Mar 7, 2014
    This game is FPS at its best! No matter how many times you play it, youll either crap your pants or have your mind explode out of the sheer awesomeness of this g...you havnt lived yet.
  32. Mar 8, 2014
    El juego es simplemente espectacular, ambientes, sus detalles, historia, personajes en especial G-man y Gordon que son mis favoritos de la saga, ni hablar de las fisicas, el unico problema es el doblaje al español XD debieron haber sacado una version en español latino.
  33. Mar 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is how every first person shooter should be!

Pros:
    Fantastic Graphics
    Excellent Enemy AI
    Facial and all body animations
    Thrilling gameplay and levels

Cons:
    Ravenholm Level (Spoiler for level)

Besides only one of the chapters, this FPS is pure as it can get!
  34. Mar 26, 2014
    The game I have been waiting for my whole life. This is the way I like FPS genre, the gameplay of this game is just so smooth you will not believe what you see. The game has got everything you would need. When I first played it in 2004 I was amazed. I couldn't believe my eyes. The graphics and animations made the game look like a movie, everything seemed almost perfect. But then I got to experience the physics. The Source engine is really a brilliant piece of work, the way everything was moving and living really made my jaw drop. And with all these beautiful and functional graphics came an immensely intense gaming experience. Half-Life 2 focused more on the story side than its predecessor, almost every G-Man speech remained in your memory and made you really take a step back and think about all the things that happened already in the Half-Life universe. Amazing gameplay from the first game stayed and got even better because of all the new features brought by the new engine. The most anticipated game in my life did not disappoint me, this is a real must-play, which gives you no other choice in rating the game. 10/10 for my second most favourite game of all time. Expand
  35. Mar 31, 2014
    for a 2004 game, no wonder this game got high scores. very good graphics and gameplay. storyline, very good but half-life 1 is better i think. love alyx though, charming but why cant i carry her when shes down in episode 2? gordon is her to be partner right? no more to talk. this is a very good game. still play it alongside with other new crappy fps games (cods, farcrys, crysis, etc), no offence though. however, it is the biggest shame of the century though that they dont continue the half life franchise ~i dunno if they do, still waiting :) come on valve, u guys are like albert einstein in the gaming world, dont stop developing E=mc2 formulas or we wont have any nuclear warheads. if you guys publish the long-waited continuance of half-life franchise, i swear ill buy the original copy of the game, no more jack sparrow dvds or torrents. take your time, but not your fans patience

*my rating here is for half life 2 and its episodes games including the orange box. good job valve!
  36. May 10, 2014
    One word for this game: AMAZING! I never was a fan of the Half-Life series, but once i bought it along with it's episodes, i could NEVER stop playing this game until i finished them all! Half-Life 2 is a great FPS with puzzle physics, it has an amazing story and great character development within it. Now, HL2: Episode 1 Was a bit slow and less action packed then the first, but it does a great job at continuing the story and it's characters backgrounds. HL2: Episode 2 was "In my opinion" even better then both Episode 1 and HL2, it has AMAZING story telling, and character development, The ending is FANTASTIC to start up HL3 which i now understand is so needed by many gamers. This game and it's Episodes will knock your sock your socks off! Expand
  37. Jun 5, 2014
    A really good video game. I am not really a fan of shooters, but I have to say this game really impressed me, I haven't finished it yet, but I was looking for the reviews and I decided to come, create an account and review it at this very moment. I have it with The Orange Box for Xbox 360. Good graphics, good Soundtrack, it actually fits with the environments of the game, a good AI, good story, characters and for that moment, really good and revolutionary physics. In my opinion a game that really deserves your time, and your money so... RECOMMENDED. Expand
  38. May 19, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece. Since his lauching I'm waiting for a FPS game that can provides the same experience. It's an obligatory one. You HAVE to play it. And you will get very sad after finish it, because you'll have no other good game like this to fulfill the "void" hahaha
  39. Jun 6, 2014
    half-life 2 = one of the best games if not the best one i have played, with its outstanding graphics (released in 2004 so do not expect bf4 type stuff) and story this game already gets a good review but it goes even further and better, the atmosphere of the world really gets a glimpse about the alien invasion and the cities last stand, people are depresed and sad about their loss and now live in a horrible place, the combat feels free (at the time) you can grab everything you like and can and throw it at enemies and even react to it and get distracted (if you throw it at the right one) and the thing that i like more above all is the characters there is only one word i can describe them........alive, well maybe two.......alive and kicking
    this game gets my 2nd place in my favorite games of all time easily
    10/10-my crowbar approves :)
  40. Jun 8, 2014
    Half-Life 2 is a masterpiece of gaming history. Surprising story, amazing FPS and puzzle gameplay, awesome graphic with unbelievable physic system, and great sounds. Although Gordon Freeman is still a quiet guy, but Half-Life 2 is an unforgettable title you have to say loud when someone wants to know about the best game of 2004, or maybe, of all time.
  41. Sep 13, 2014
    Half Life is the birth of real FPS.
    If you were around when it came out, no matter how many years have passed, Half Life will always be top of your list in gaming masterpieces.
  42. Nov 24, 2012
    I can't believe this game is 8 years old, even revisiting it after all this years it's still a blast.The fact it has held up this long is a tribute to how far ahead of the generic shooters out at the time that it was. The Half-Life series is an absolute joy.
  43. Aug 23, 2010
    Half Life 2 is the very first FPS that I've played. It has probably been the best game that i have ever played in a long time. I started playing platform games, so Half Life 2 took some practice, but it was the best game since Super Mario World. The level design is perfect, the enemies are balanced, and it is long. This game will definitly keep you busy.
  44. Oct 18, 2010
    When I played HL2, I remember it was like being in a strange dream that seems so real. The design, graphics and sound is epic. What a masterpiece of art. It's simply the best game I have ever played.
  45. Sep 23, 2010
    Half-Life 2 was a masterpiece for its time. High points of the game included gravity manipulation, the NPC companion (so far unsurpassed in the pure FPS genre) and the sense of scale. The source engine is still going strong though user mods never really seemed to live up to the creativity and diversity of original Half Life ones.
  46. Sep 27, 2010
    Been playing this game since 2004, and after 6 years, I still have a blast playing. I love how interactive the enviorment is. If you are debating weather to buy this game, do it! You wont be disappointed!
  47. Oct 9, 2010
    This game is one of my all time favorites and I've been playing games for a while. I am not a big pro FPS player but I've always enjoyed them and this game was incredible and even playing it again for the 12th time this day it feels great and to this day not many games can come up to it's level.
  48. Oct 3, 2010
    .....................Still the only game in history (yet) worthy of a 10................................. Bravo Valve...................................
  49. Oct 8, 2010
    I've played through this game ten times by now. Every time I do, it's like the first time all over again. The gravity gun makes some of the greatest kills you can have (especially in Ravenholm.) Its graphics are still very impressive when compared to modern games (except Crysis.) Great story, better than solid gameplay, great graphics, and the coolest weapon ever created ever. If it was possible, I would sleep with this game all day, every day. Expand
  50. Oct 9, 2010
    Think about your favorite FPS. Now look at this game. Half Life 2 is seriously, no joke, one of the best games ever created. The story is a masterpiece, showing you a world held hostage by the powerful Combine, an alien race who came to Earth after the events of the first game and all but enslaved us. Remember the physics of the first game? Half Life 2 has cranked those up to 11, with beautiful flames that will have you standing by fires and realistic crows that take off when you approach. And then there's the combat. Like the first game, it is executed perfectly, but I noticed that many of the guns are almost exactly the same. You get the standard pistol, the crowbar, the shotgun, the smg, the rpg, the grenades, and the crossbow. The only weapons that seemed new were the assault rifle and the gravity gun. Oh man, the gravity gun. I could write an entire review just about that, how you can pick up and push items, solve puzzles, etc. Throughout the game you'll visit a number of locales, from the Antlion-infested beaches to the city of Ravenholm, which is positively crawling with zombies. If you like to play video games, then you must play Half Life 2. Expand
  51. May 20, 2012
    Fairly ironic that even Half-Life 2 now stands in the halls of nostalgia like its predecessor. It took the innovation of Half-Life and ran wild with it through more modern means like detailed character development and puzzle elements. Some people do not like the differences whatever they may be from Half-Life. I object in the sense that I am glad both of these games exist even if they are different. A good metaphor being you can have chocolate cake and brownies and both be able to enjoy them in different ways. Expand
  52. Oct 25, 2010
    The best FPS the world has ever come to witness. Half-Life 2 brings you through a torrent of different settings, enemies, and events that will leave you on the edge of your seat. Nothing too much should be said as no game of this caliber should need an introduction, but it is suffice to say that if you are a fan of FPS, this is not a game to be missed in your entire life.
  53. Oct 18, 2010
    Simply incredible. Half-Life 2 throws you out into action and never lets back. Graphics, physics and character animations are absolutely incredible for a game that was released in 2009.
    This game being released in 2004 just makes that even more unbelievable.
  54. Oct 25, 2010
    I love it, end of story. The story keeps going and changing. When you think you got it something changes and keeps you in the game. Graphics are great and the story is compelling. I cant wait for the next installment.
  55. Oct 26, 2010
    A good game done well in every way, I honestly can't think of any critism for the game, Don't read this play it now!
  56. Jan 17, 2011
    This is basically video gaming at it's best. People who say this game is overrated and bad simply have no idea of what makes a great video game. The game adds a minor scare factor that adds to the enjoyment and keeps you wanting to play more. The music is an absolute amazing addition to this game, with soundtracks coming into the game at the right moments (driving sections of the game). I thought I was going to spoil this game by playing a large amount of Garry's Mod before playing and making the main characters look silly, but boy was I wrong. If you think there is no story or it is a horrible story, once again you have no idea. The storyline is another excellent dystopian story which is made clear by the Rebels and Citizens trying to survive in this horrible world. And if that is not enough for you, the game is riddled with challenging puzzles to make the game experience even more enjoyable. This game is not a "generic FPS" simply because it is a masterpiece where only Bioshock comes close to being as good. I was first very skeptical about critics saying this was the greatest PC game ever made, but now i have played it I can see why critics have regarded this game so highly. You cannot afford to NOT play this game. Expand
  57. Dec 27, 2010
    This game is art truly amazing. half life 1 was great but this is awesome!!! i have always been a fan of valve but this brings them to a all new level,and i love the felling of bashing heads with crowbars.every time you play it, it gets better and better and better!!
  58. Dec 27, 2010
    Simply amazing...Seeing is believeing. I myslef had heard of half life through the grapevine but had never got around to playing it as I was formally on a console. Well since seeing the light and switching to the pc I started looking into epic pc titles and within the first few minutes of my internet search quickly saw how revered Valve's Half Life series was. I jumped right into Half Life 2 for 10 bucks on Amazon and let me tell you it has changed my expectations of games completely. Even though the game is dated as of 2010, the well thought out game play coupled with the superb plot, facial animations, and voice acting goes to show that graphics is NOT the be all end all. If by chance you are reading this and have not played Half Life- please, treat yourself and give it 5 minutes-you won't look back. Expand
  59. Jan 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a great game and I absolutely love it! The combine are great to kill. And I found it amusing to make the guards angry in the first level. I love the new zombies and the new poison head crabs and zombies are awesome! There are also the funny yet annoying fast zombies! Overall A masterpiece Expand
  60. Jan 1, 2011
    Playing this still makes me speechless, regardless of the graphics "being too outdated" or what-not Half Life 2 has an amazing storyline and the characters actually have an effect on people and arent cheesy.Eitherway, this game made history.
  61. Jan 2, 2011
    It's quite simply impossible for me to find fault with this game. The story is thoroughly engrossing, the level design is superb, the gameplay is varied and interesting, and it's available at an insanely cheap price point. This is, and probably always will be, my favourite PC game of all time.
  62. Jan 4, 2011
    Actually I overgrown most of the games, but I still love HL2.. It has a unique art. A cool mix of technology, urban culture and a lot more that other games just don't have. A very strong visual identity.

Environment - whether you are on the street, alien outpost or sewer system seem unbelievably real and you feel present. It's not just realistic graphics and textures, it's the spontaneus
    architecture.

Usual shooter gameplay is spiced up with gravity gun (oh, the stuff u can do with it :D ) .. and versatility of enemies that demand a different approach.

I feel this is just too big part of pop culture to miss.. like the big movies, series or music.
  63. Jan 12, 2011
    Best FPS game I've ever played. Great character development, deep story, great combat sequences and amazingly immersive environment. Game still looks and performs fantastic today, years after its release. Great replay value, you can play through the game several times and catch bits of story you didn't get the previous time. Great attention to detail, polished setting and original design. A great breath of fresh air from copycat games and run and gun mindless shooters like COD(1-6). Expand
  64. Jan 23, 2011
    Half Life 2 is an amazing game. It has basic mechanics and it is still being awesome. I mean, the system to change your weapons is the same than the original, and that doesn't matter! It is a memorable game. Every dialog, every scene, is still in your mind after SIX years!
    The guys at Valve are genius. They put in your hands a game which has a main character that don't speak, and despite
    that, the whole series of Half Life has a really strong history.
    It is still amazing me. An absolute masterpiece
  65. Jan 26, 2011
    Best first person shooter I have ever played. There were a challenging array of scenarios, some cool puzzles, and stellar graphics. Each weapon is particularly helpful in different situations for a variety of different enemies to use them on. This was a very fun game!
  66. Jan 29, 2011
    "Best Game Ever Made". Yes it is! And just one part is boring "driving with car". Ending was done quickly. Graphics were best at that time. This game is a legend.
  67. Feb 2, 2011
    The greatest single-player FPS ever; it puts you into the story instead of merely telling you the story, it's expertly paced with big action scenes that feel as intense as they look without resorting to a shooting gallery, and it always keeps you in the sweet spot gaming goodness by giving you just enough resources to get past each challenge presented to you but demanding just enough of your skill and smarts to make even the smallest victories feel rewarding. It would be nice if Gordon Freeman had some more personality, but the breathless feel of never stopping to watch a cutscene makes this game feel alive and vibrant and all the more real. Even if you missed the first Half-Life, give this one a go. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  68. Mar 15, 2011
    years later still the best game evar. I play a level or so every so often to this day. I don't do that with Doom 3, i don't do that with Painkiller (its contemporaries). I do that with Half-Life 2. Literally a work of art. creepy. sci-fi weird. even scary at times. Facial animation was revolutionary at the time. and it came with steam! at the time i had dial-up so i was **** and moaning because it took an additional day for the game to update and it wouldn't let me play without it. but now, thank god for steam. It is single handedly doing the heavy lifting to keep the PC gaming community alive. Valve, keep doing what you do. Episode 3 wouldn't hurt, but Half-life 3 would be even better. I have yet to play a Valve game i didn't like. I remember drooling over gaming magazines when they were showing images from the upcoming HL2. and the videos they released that showcased the physics. That clip of the manhacks coming down the hallway, whirring along slicing up everything in their path. And their take on audio is awesome. The sirens, the voices of the combine through masks or communicators. the sound of those weird energy orb thingies. down to the solid way the very first handgun felt in "your" hand. Dont expect textures to be as great as now, and the models have less vertexes and whatnot, but just know, that these guys did it best first. nobody did physics that well then. and Source still holds up.

Yes STR7THZ, i agree.
  69. Mar 26, 2011
    A very good game! A variety of characters, enemies, weapons, and environments to come across in this game. The story line is amazing, you play as Gordon Freeman who was in the original Half - life( which was amazing too). This game has a horror,action, and drama like game-play style. I recommend this game to anyone who wants a good cheap game to play for hours.
  70. Mar 22, 2011
    Given the ratings and praise this game receives it doesn't take a genius to figure out that this is an amazingly great game, so if by some chance you haven't played it, get onto Steam and buy the Orange Box, you won't regret it.
    For me this game has the perfect combination of an engaging and intriguing storyline, varied and exciting game play and a beautifully designed and believable
    world. It's the sort of game where you're constantly trying to play just that bit more to see what's around the corner or find out the next part of the story and that to me is the mark of a great game. Expand
  71. Jul 8, 2012
    There are some people who would argue that this is the best game of all time. I can't really argue with that. But it's up to everyone to decide if it's their favorite. I say, top 5
  72. Nov 6, 2013
    Once again Valve raised the bar for the shooter genre and created a blueprint that others would follow for years in its wake. Beautiful visuals that still hold up to this day, immersive and interactive storytelling, creative never-seen-before physics puzzles, and one of the most innovative weapons(Gravity Gun) ever created.
  73. Feb 20, 2013
    Half Life was pretty good. But it's far from Half Life 2. The campaign for Half Life 2 is easily one of, if not the, best I have ever played. The first time I played the game. I hated the first two chapters. But I have since grown to love the whole game. Even after beating the game, it is still great fun to play. The graphics, for 2004 were amazing, and the game still looks pretty good now. The puzzles are a tad repetitive sometimes, but the action and storyline make up for it. Another issue is the multiplayer. You have to pay for it seperately, although it is also great fun if you do Expand
  74. Jun 23, 2013
    Half-Life 2 is one of the greatest games ever made. I have played it dozens of times and still enjoy it. The game has many different and great settings, varying enemies and weapons and great locations that are fun to explore. I strongly recommend this game to all who love FPS's
  75. Xon
    Jul 6, 2013
    This is by far for me the truest realisation of a videogame. The game features a terrible dystopian setting with hopeless inhabitants struggling against an unbeatable foe.
    One aspect of the game that I love the most is that you never "leave" the game. All discourse and interactions coccur in-game.
    As near perfect a game as I've ever seen. Some places might seem a bit empty, but hey, the
    human population has been decimated.
    All in all a great experince.
  76. May 31, 2012
    An incredible and rare stroke of genius for the first person shooter genre. Featuring an incredible sense of isolation, perfected storytelling and pacing, wonderful and memorable characters, and exhilarating set piece moments that stay with you for years, Half Life 2 stands triumphant at the pinnacle of the genre as the perfected first person shooter.
  77. Jul 18, 2012
    All I can say is: Wow. Never in a game have I seen such unique storytelling, unique artstyle, and unique gameplay. The gameplay is excellent. The physics engine Source and the gravity gun are extremely fun to play with, the level design is spot on, the puzzles are consistent yet refreshing, the vehicle sections are a blast, and the shooting mechanics are solid. There wasn't a moment where things seemed repetitive or bland. The story, all viewed by speechless Gordon Freeman, the protagonist, is great. It is about Gordon Freeman's escape in City 17 where civilians are captured by the Combine (alien empire-type baddies) and areas are scattered with Headcrab zombies. He has a great female companion named Alex Vance who accompanies you in the adventure. Overall the story is brilliantly executed and is pretty damn awesome. There isn't any multiplayer, but this is a SP experience, and it is one of the best of its kind. Get this game as soon as you can (lol its been 8 years) because I kid you not it is one of the best FPS games you will ever come across. Expand
  78. May 27, 2012
    The people who rate this negative are attention whores. They are either trying to garner attention to make a statement or they are losers who are impossible to please.
  79. Nov 1, 2013
    Half Life 2:Best Game Ever 10/10

DOTA2: -322/10 Give DIRETIDE
  80. May 14, 2012
    Why isn't there a 11 button? If you think you are a real gamer, you need to play through half life series. Really. Try it.
    Graphics for year 2004:10/10
    physics!:11/10 still this day almost every game has worse game engine
    gameplay:10/10
    Overall:10/10 and a game you have to play before giving negative feedback.
  81. Nov 3, 2013
    This is probaly the BEST first person shooter that i have ever played. I have played the whole half life serie, and i'm still amazing by how perfectly everything fits together. If you like shooters, YOU MUST PLAY THIS.
  82. Nov 11, 2014
    Probably the best game ever made, and I'm not even talking about the standalone game I'm talking about all the mods the community have made, No wonder valve isn't releasing hl3 yet we need that great feeling again.
  83. Jul 11, 2012
    HOLY **** THIS IS MY FAVORITE GAME EVER not kidding, the graphics are not great but so what with the amazing story line and challenging puzzles half life 2 is up in my favorites in steam lets also talk about the hammer editor great editor too but yes there are always flaws (the game ) one is sometimes you commit suicide by alyx or barney bumping you the rocket is a bit under powered and the poison zombies are a bit headless is what im thinking but except all of that best game ever ( not episode 1 or 2 they are great but not half life 2 great) Expand
  84. May 14, 2012
    Look no further - THIS IS THE BEST FPS OF ALL TIME. The source engine at its finest delivers amazing graphics. The game itself is essentially bug free. The supporting Steam platform is flawless. The world savior Gordon paves way for many alien-invasion-and-world-saving-by-a-one-man-army all came after this game, and all have failed to surpass this milestone.
  85. Mar 13, 2012
    The perfect shooter. It doesn't get boring after what must be the 20th replay. Incredible level design, creepy enemies, amazing atmosphere. The benchmark of FPS since 2004 that many have tried and failed to top.
  86. Jun 2, 2012
    I rarely see a game with such an engaging narrative and storyline. This is my all-time favourite FPS. Even after more than 8 years since its release, Half-Life 2 has everything an outstanding game has. The graphics are still awesome, the physics are realistic, the action is nearly unstoppable and it never gets monotonous. Every time I go through the levels I have an amazing dose of fun! Every aspect in this game seems to have been carefully thought in a way that the player will always feel engaged in the action packed shoot outs - the developers truly made a masterpiece. Expand
  87. Dec 19, 2012
    A very diffrent type of style for a FPS then any other FPS game I have ever played. Its a interesting FPS with a little puzzle to it. Very good story and fun missions. Half-Life 2 9.6/10
  88. Jun 19, 2013
    A beautiful game, that is a very competent FPS and action game, but at the same time one of the most intelligent puzzle games ever created.
    This game does not guide you by hand. There will be no quest list, map or arrow pointing to your objective. You won't have an army behind you destroying everything in your way. But ut does not lack in action. It is one of the most intense games I ever
    played, it is not easy and it DOES NOT presume you want it to be. Valve presumes you are just as intelligent as they are and the entire game is based around it. Around the fact that you are smart enough to go trough a game without a guide and a army, that you can be emerged in an amazing universe and understand a complicated storyline, that you can understand your objective without it flashing in red and gold every 3 seconds, and that you can solve physics based puzzles, under pressure and enemy fire without any clues.
    Half Life 2 also brings a sense of open world, free to exploration, but even without a map or any guide you never get lost.
    Probably the best game ever created. A freaking masterpiece.
  89. Nov 4, 2014
    This is simply the best game ever made. There are too many good things to say about this game, so I'll make a long review short.
    Buy it. Buy it now.
  90. Apr 25, 2012
    Took me eight years to finish Half-Life 2, but it was certainly worth the wait for my sake. Sure, I wish I'd finished it when it was newer, but better late than never. The story is great in traditional Half-Life tradition, and if you haven't gotten around to play this game you'd better make sure you do now!
  91. Aug 23, 2013
    How does this game have a lower metascore than GTA4? This game is almost perfect, except for some bad follower AI which is a non-issue and not even worth complaining about.
  92. May 18, 2012
    This game has a heart like no other, except the first one. The best sequel you could ever imagine. Great graphics and very few bugs. -I have now completed it 5 times and it never gets boring.
  93. May 18, 2012
    If you didn't like this game, well, you are likely not playing any games now. Gameplay was fun, story was fine, and it brings back good memories. .
  94. May 22, 2012
    Perfect game for its time. I've played it many many many many many many many many times through. I still play it from time to time years later. No game like it. Deserves the top of the list and can't wait for the next one. Thanks for an amazing game valve.
  95. May 24, 2012
    Best game ever at time of release. It pushed the limits of creativity, story telling, engine, physics, action thrills, etc. Since then, a few games I have played have exceeded in one of those categories but not everyone.
  96. May 24, 2012
    Half-life 2 a true awesome and fun game especially the gravity gun, i don't know why people say i has bad graphics for today standards, Source engine it's one of the most optimized game engine, to all that people i want to say, you can play Half-Life 2 on almost every computer nowadays even with integrated graphics, but you cant play other games like crysis or any other game that require more resources from your PC, for crysis you need a decent powerful PC but you dont need that much power to play Half-Life 2.
    I loved Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2 and episodes. If Valve don't want to release Episode 3 on 2012, well i guess they want to go slow but carefully.
  97. Jun 1, 2012
    The greatest FPS ever realesed: the storry is wholly engrossing, the gameplay is everything from frantic and exhilerating to quiet and terrifying. The only flaw I can give it is that it doesn't have the best graphics compared to modern games, but since it was released eight years ago, it actually has incredibly good graphics for its time.

Pretty much the perfect FPS, really can't think of
    a better one. Expand
  98. Sep 17, 2013
    The game is almost perfect. The visuals are incredible, the storyline is immersive and the gameplay does not allow the player to get bored.
    The only reason for me to give it a ten is the quality of some textures and some slight problems with sound. The rest is indeed Perfect. 9/10
  99. Jul 3, 2012
    This is the greatest game of all time. period. When I first played it it reminded me of the magical feeling of when I first had sex, or when I first feel in love... its that **** good! And even years and years later, I decided to play it again,.. and I was pulled into it just like the first time; I played it all the way through, and completed episodes 1 and 2,.. and loved the whole expierience just like the first time! FPS games that have consistant negative reveiws have only to look at what this game does. Do what this company does!, and listen to the gamers!.. its pretty simple what are demands are.. We want fun gameplay, We want a great story that makes sense. We want a great sound track and sound effects. We want good dialog!!!! (I cant count how many times I've played a game and heard the cheesiest voice acting or stupid ass dialog and wanted to throw the game out the window... This game should be the example of how voice acting and dialog should be. PERIOD. even though game developers know what we want... we still get Sh*t like max payne 3 and the new deus ex... I feel like the video game world is coming to an end and there is only one light left in the distance: VALVE @ Half-Life 3. Deliver us from **** games Valve,.. bring us Half-Life 3!!! Expand
  100. Feb 6, 2013
    One of the best games in gaming history and the best FPS game ever. Puzzles, shooting elements, characters, and of course, Valve quality.