Half-Life 2 PC

9.2

1. Jul 28, 2012
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. I played through it once when it first came out, then again a few months ago and it hasn't aged a bit! The physics, the graphics, the story, the ai, the gameplay, and the source community makes this a must have game for ANYONE. not just fps lovers but anyone. go pick up this games, Zombie panic source and Insurgency for just $10 and youThis is one of the best games I have ever played. I played through it once when it first came out, then again a few months ago and it hasn't aged a bit! The physics, the graphics, the story, the ai, the gameplay, and the source community makes this a must have game for ANYONE. not just fps lovers but anyone. go pick up this games, Zombie panic source and Insurgency for just $10 and you will be satisfied for months. Buy this game. right now. you owe it to yourself! Expand
  2. Sep 5, 2012
    Outdoing the original Half-Life is no easy task, but I am happy to report that Valve has succeeded in exactly that. Half-Life 2 is a breathtaking FPS that will have you on the edge of your PC chair from start to finish. Story: (10) Just as good as the first, Gordon is one of the best characters of a game. There are even a few unexpected twists and parts that are actually scary. Graphics:Outdoing the original Half-Life is no easy task, but I am happy to report that Valve has succeeded in exactly that. Half-Life 2 is a breathtaking FPS that will have you on the edge of your PC chair from start to finish. Story: (10) Just as good as the first, Gordon is one of the best characters of a game. There are even a few unexpected twists and parts that are actually scary. Graphics: (10) Some of the best available when released, this game looks awesome on full settings and still respectable today. Sound: (10) Best of the best sound effects and background music. The soundtrack is definitely worth checking out. Gameplay: (9) Just as good as the first, if not better. There are several challenging areas and some of the boss fights are epic. The shooting feels more accurate and I must say the AI in this game is incredible. Endgame: (8) It is fun to go through again on harder difficulties but I would have loved to see some sort of multi-player support besides deathmatch. Overall if you are a PC gamer you CANNOT pass this game up. Just the story alone is enough to keep you going and the suspense builds at every corner. Still to this day the graphics hold up really nice and the source engine is smooth and a blast to play. Overall: 9 Expand
  3. Nov 29, 2013
    An all time classic. Even after playing through Half-Life 2 many times, I still get alot of fun out of the playing it. Almost everything about the game is top notch: the levels, characters, music, sound and graphical style. The game's physics were at the time unheard of and still even today are quite good in how you can use the gravity gun to pick up and throw objects at enemies and toAn all time classic. Even after playing through Half-Life 2 many times, I still get alot of fun out of the playing it. Almost everything about the game is top notch: the levels, characters, music, sound and graphical style. The game's physics were at the time unheard of and still even today are quite good in how you can use the gravity gun to pick up and throw objects at enemies and to solve puzzles. As you play, you will see the characters develop and you will start to care about them and how they interact. The whole game being a long continuous level is also really cool as you can clearly see how the whole game links together. If I were to nitpick the game, the vehicle sections are a little too long, especially the car levels, but this is just a minor complaint really. If you haven't played this where have you been?!?!? Expand
  4. Nov 13, 2013
    The Half-Life series in general is the best set of games I've played ever! Worth whatever amount anybody throws at you, even today it's an amazing game with one of the best story lines ever!
  5. Apr 12, 2014
    What's to say that hasn't been said already? It's a Half-Life game. It's one of the best FPS's with great game effects ever published. If you haven't played this game...well, you're missing out. Even as dated as it is the game is still unbelievably fun to play.
  6. Nov 10, 2011
    Seriously, this is the best game of all time. I cant put it any other way, do you remember when sequels meant somthing new to look forward to? I hardly do, but this was in the golden age of FPS. So play it. Steam is much improved since this was released, so dont listen to the trolls.
  7. Oct 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half-life 2 has great graphics if you play it on an AlienWare, the story is so wonderful.
    You can play it 4 times or much more and can't get bored.
    I really recommend to buy it.
    The end it's just awesome.
    When the tower explode and G-man shows up to the player, then the game ends.
  8. Oct 30, 2011
    The best game ever made. The storytelling, gameplay, characters, action and soundtrack are all top notch. However, the awful teammate AI(They don't give you any space, constantly remind you to reload, and yell "Take cover!" and then get shot) and lackluster ending mean I can't give Half-Life 2 a perfect score.
  9. Oct 12, 2011
    This game is beast!!!!!. hurry up episode 3....................................................................................................................................
  10. Apr 5, 2011
    Very good work of suspense and terror, some pretty good graphics and a stunning physical (one of the best I've seen so far, and it's been 6 years).
    The visual effects are simple but effective and the story is impressive and full of adrenaline.
    The movements of the characters left me stunned, but I liked AI is pretty bad. The phases are not abundant (13 chapters approx.) but are very long.
    The movements of the characters left me stunned, but I liked AI is pretty bad.
    The phases are not abundant (13 chapters approx.) but are very long.
    Of course, guns are not abundant and there is nothing to be very effective.
    In short, one of the best FPS games I've seen in my life, but you will be under 1 point for the (very) bad IA.
  11. MarkO.
    Nov 23, 2004
    BEST PC GAME EVER.
  12. Jan 8, 2012
    This is the best game ever made - nothing has ever ever come close in terms of immersion, AI, shooting, first person story telling, and practically everything else. Every aspect of this game is perfect and if you haven't played this yet - you haven't yet experienced a perfect game.
    HL3 - please?
  13. Mar 29, 2014
    As this game has won over 50 awards, me personally having 1700+ hours on it, winning Game of the Year 2004 AND Game of the Decade... (By IGN) This game truly is amazing. From the story to the characters to the gravity gun, this game cannot get boring despite coming out in 2004. As Half-Life 2 is at max settings, you can easily compare this game to any of today's titles, and still think itAs this game has won over 50 awards, me personally having 1700+ hours on it, winning Game of the Year 2004 AND Game of the Decade... (By IGN) This game truly is amazing. From the story to the characters to the gravity gun, this game cannot get boring despite coming out in 2004. As Half-Life 2 is at max settings, you can easily compare this game to any of today's titles, and still think it has great graphics. Expand
  14. DME
    Jun 10, 2012
    Half-Life 2 was one of the greatest games I have ever played. It's very diverse, immersing, interesting, and just plain fun. One of the coolest things about it was the way you could manipulate the environment in crazy ways to complete your tasks. Unfortunately, the game has one drawback. It has an appalling ending. But, everything leading up to the ending is such a blast, it's forgivable.
  15. Sep 22, 2012
    It's been said a million times that this game is literally perfect in every aspect, but what struck me most was just how intellectual the puzzles and combat tactics were. This game will give your brain a workout that you will never forget.
  16. Sep 10, 2012
    Awesome game, impressively well balanced, fun to play, even over and over, simple but efficient at what it does : entertainment. Clearly, here Valve has shown to everyone that it is possible to make a great FPS without having to be weaker on some other aspects of the game. Hats off.
  17. Jun 6, 2012
    Half life 2 is without a doubt one of the best games ever made. I wish I could say otherwise but it is the truth, everything about this game: the story, the tight level design, the graphics and sound is done with a rare care and attention which most developers are stubbornly against. Despite being eight years old, HL2 is and always will be a benchmark in the video games industry.
  18. Oct 26, 2011
    A timeless classic which even in the current era, still stands apart. It delivers an experience like no other, seamless and totally and truly immersive. Never has a game actually put me in a characters very shoes and made me see through his very eyes.
  19. Nov 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my honest opinion, this is the best FPS video game in the 2000s decade. Despite its outdated graphics and being a 2004 game, the gameplay is way more superior than most FPS games today (i.e. Black Ops, Modern Warfare 2/3, Halo, etc.), and it has an excellent deep plot, which, for me, has political themes as it is about a revolution against foreign alien invaders called the Combine. In addition, the plot has much twists and suspense that will make you feel intrigued and curious on what's going to happen next in the game. In HL2, you play as a mute Resistance leader, Gordon Freeman, in a revolution against the Combine, which was indirectly caused by the Black Mesa Incident in HL1 and with the excellent first person feel, you are able to go in Gordon Freeman's "shoes" as he leads the resistance against the alien invaders. Plus, there are puzzles that make the game challenging, which are mostly used by the Gravity Gun, an awesome weapon intended for carrying objects used for puzzles, and using innocuous objects as weapons against Xen aliens and Combine Soliders. Another proof that HL2 is superior to today's FPS games is that there are various enemies and environments, thus making the game less repetitive and more addicting, especially in the Ravenholm level and the Citadel missions, where you can even throw Combines everywhere with your gravity gun, making you feel like a god. In overall, HL2 is full of thrills and adrenaline which no other FPS games can have. I hope Gabe Newell exits HL3 from vaporware so that I can know what will happen next after Eli was killed by Combine Advisors. Expand
  20. Nov 28, 2011
    Holy **** this has to be my favorite game of all time. The game utilizes the then new Source technology, bringing a very realistic atmosphere and backdrop. Half Life 2 brings a whole new idea to the Half Life franchise, years after the events of the first one. The game starts out in a train, much like the first one, which was very cool. The game progresses at the perfect speed, and weaponsHoly **** this has to be my favorite game of all time. The game utilizes the then new Source technology, bringing a very realistic atmosphere and backdrop. Half Life 2 brings a whole new idea to the Half Life franchise, years after the events of the first one. The game starts out in a train, much like the first one, which was very cool. The game progresses at the perfect speed, and weapons are obtained throughout the game. My final say: this game is definitely worth the purchase, and is worth its price because even when you are finished playing, you will want to replay it several more times. Pick this game up! Expand
  21. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is virtually perfect in every aspect. The graphics are beautiful, the plot is amazing, and the characters deep. When I first played this game, I couldn't stop thinking about it. It is easy to tell the developers of this game and other valve games, love their job. I hope they do, because they do it d*mn well. The puzzles aren't what you'd normally think. They they make you think,This game is virtually perfect in every aspect. The graphics are beautiful, the plot is amazing, and the characters deep. When I first played this game, I couldn't stop thinking about it. It is easy to tell the developers of this game and other valve games, love their job. I hope they do, because they do it d*mn well. The puzzles aren't what you'd normally think. They they make you think, like they did in Portal and Portal 2. This game can be funny, scary, disturbing, and great. If you have played and liked Half Life, get this game and episodes 1 & 2. If you didn't like HL1 or haven't played it, just get ALL of them! Gosh! Now, about Half Life 3... (valve can't count to three though L4D 1 & 2 Portal 2 TF2 HL2 episode 2. HL3 is probably going to be HL2 episode 2 part 2) Expand
  22. Dec 30, 2013
    A heavily anticipated sequel to the seminally influential Half-Life, Half-Life 2 is an indubitably well-executed and enthralling media experience. The game artfully exemplifies a precipiced human race beset with the horror of a xenocratic dystopia whilst also providing interaction and levity with relatable characters, both central and minor. From the very outset, I was immersed in theA heavily anticipated sequel to the seminally influential Half-Life, Half-Life 2 is an indubitably well-executed and enthralling media experience. The game artfully exemplifies a precipiced human race beset with the horror of a xenocratic dystopia whilst also providing interaction and levity with relatable characters, both central and minor. From the very outset, I was immersed in the eerie mystique of the opening characters and the ostensibly artificial setting. The player's character, Gordon Freeman, never speaks, nor does he need to; his humanity and heroism become progressively apparent as the player completes the game, despite the perennial air of mystery he conveys.

The immersive realism of the game is brilliantly augmented by precise and complex game physics, impressive facial animation, and the perpetual necessity for the player to utilise his environment to complete chapters, rather than the gameplay being excessively linear and unchallenging.
    The dark, tyrannical undertones of the game stir the player to empathise with the plight of the fledgling resistance movement and become further psychologically involved in the plot. Half-Life 2 is gripping, stimulating and revolutionary. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
  23. Mar 8, 2014
    El juego es simplemente espectacular, ambientes, sus detalles, historia, personajes en especial G-man y Gordon que son mis favoritos de la saga, ni hablar de las fisicas, el unico problema es el doblaje al español XD debieron haber sacado una version en español latino.
  24. Mar 27, 2014
    Graphics: For a 2004 game. the graphics can't be beaten and somehow are still kinda up-to-date even in 2014

Gameplay: Smooth, no bugs/glitches, nothing that annoys you constantly other then one or two parts where you couldn't find the exit or couldn't complete the puzzle. Story: Better then anything I've ever seen, total masterpiece! The game doesn't only uses dialogs to give the

Story: Better then anything I've ever seen, total masterpiece! The game doesn't only uses dialogs to give the storyline but also graffiti/posts and even sounds to not only immerse the player to the world but tell the story of it. many times you can hear ingame "echos" of the past.

There're very few games in my 10/10 games list, Half-life and Half-life 2 are ones of it.

for all those who say the game is overrated are trying to be "out-of-the-hoard" and fight against psychology, something they don't understand is impossible.
  25. Feb 2, 2016
    Although Gordon Freeman is still a quiet guy, Half-Life 2 is an unforgettable title to say out loud when someone wants to know about the best game of 2004, or maybe, of all time.
  26. Feb 10, 2015
    My favorite game of all time. Fantastic level design, interesting story, great writing and, of course, great gunplay. You can't call yourself a gamer if you haven't played the Half-Life series.

It's a must-have.
  27. Aug 1, 2011
    Truly the best game of 2004. Graphics are great for the year, sound is great, game play is fun, and the story is terrific. You must have this game for your gaming collection.
  28. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = Best First Person Shooter of all-time, also one of the most innovative games to date on the grounds of story telling AND technical.
  29. IRT
    Oct 13, 2011
    System Specs: GFX: HD6970 CPU: i52500 Audio: X-fi Titanium Game : Half-Life 2................................. Graphics: Very good, for the age of game graphics are well above average................................. Storyline: Very good, kept me interested from start to finish................................. Game-play: Very good, quite a long game and has lots of different scenarios toSystem Specs: GFX: HD6970 CPU: i52500 Audio: X-fi Titanium Game : Half-Life 2................................. Graphics: Very good, for the age of game graphics are well above average................................. Storyline: Very good, kept me interested from start to finish................................. Game-play: Very good, quite a long game and has lots of different scenarios to keep you entertained................................. Difficulty: Normal................................. Sound: Good, re verb sounded great.................................

Half-Life 2 is by all means a superb game and defiantly lives up to it's reputation.
  30. Nov 17, 2011
    Half-Life 2 is really the first game that drew me to the Half-Life series. The original, as of the time I tried to play it, was just too frustrating and the graphics too dated to get into - at first. Then I played Half-Life 2, and realized what an interesting sci-fi world this was to explore.

Half-Life 2 got me hooked, and then I went back and played through Half-Life 1.... multiple times. Half-Life 2 is just incredible, and its hard to believe so many people play such bland... trashy FPS games these days instead of flavorful titles like Half-Life or Half-Life 2. The storytelling in Half-Life 2 is also special, despite being an action-FPS game. Like Bioshock, Half-Life 2 has a way of telling the story to the player while they are doing other things in the game in such a way that the player never really feels bored with being told a story, despite the fact that they accumulate knowledge of the world and all its intricacies throughout their gameplay experience.

The physics and gameplay are also masterworks of FPS gaming. This is one of the first gaming worlds that ever felt "real" to me. The graphics are superb for their game, and honestly are acceptable by many even considering today's standards, assuming you aren't spoiled by the recent influx of advanced-graphics FPS games these days that have crappy storylines.

If you like sci-fi and like FPS, you should definitely consider giving the Half-Life series a try - especially if the somewhat old graphics won't bother you.
  31. Sep 14, 2011
    Wonderful game. All from the storyline, to the fps experience. The characters are really catchy, and it can be enjoyed over and over again. A must own in a fps collection (:
  32. Jan 9, 2013
    I'm so going to be hated to death, but I didn't love this game as many others tend to do, even though it's actually very good game for itself and even 8-9 years later it's still fresh to play and doesn't look aged at all. But despite all that, I definitely enjoyed Half Life 2 less than the previous chapter. I wil also say that I started with this chapter and then bought the previous game.I'm so going to be hated to death, but I didn't love this game as many others tend to do, even though it's actually very good game for itself and even 8-9 years later it's still fresh to play and doesn't look aged at all. But despite all that, I definitely enjoyed Half Life 2 less than the previous chapter. I wil also say that I started with this chapter and then bought the previous game. First of all, I did like how the game, like I said, is still fresh: the graphics are surprisingly great and the engine is extremely good, and once you get the gravity gun you can exploit the physics of the game at its best. The characters are, for the most part, very remarkable and likeable to interact with, so nothing wrong here, except that maybe some characters disappear and reapper from the plot and will eventually confuse some people (or not). The game is also very balanced in the combats, with a good variety of weapons, a great variety of (very smart) enemies and with also many different situations to play. Infact, the best word to descrive this game, is "variety": you'll have a lot of situations in the game and they all are surprisingly fun to play and hardly bore you (like the boat section and ravenholm, where you will exploit the gravity gun). The story is...interesting...but I tend to get confused at times and I don't remember really much. And here comes some flaws in my opinion; while the story is good and well written, the game somehow seems very padded because, with some exceptions, the sections seem like a bunch of different parts glued all together! This isn't a big deal but, because of these sections that look like different parts completely, the story might get confusing, because (like I said) characters might appear and disappear all of the sudden and the story seems to get a halt for a pair of hours (the biggest example to me was the teleporter sceme: it seemed like an excuse to insert another part of the game). While I liked the first game because there wasn't much to understand, but only much to discover, in here it felt like I needed too much to understand, with nothing to discover at all. Also, this is kinda personal, I never got the links between the first game and this one (one big reason why I HAD to buy the first), but after finishing that game I still don't know what happened here after the events of the first (especially since that the ending of the first game didn't look like it had anything to do with the start of this. Except the presence of G-man). Maybe I'm just dumb, so I might be totally wrong on complaining this much. Moving to the combat: while I hated a bit the first game for the unbalance between the enemies (entire magazines to dispatch a few soldiers, while few shots would take down big aliens), this game actually fixes a lot of issues, especially with very well balanced weapons and with enemies that, for what I saw, have weakpoints (a head shots seem to do more damage here). My biggest complain here, is that the weapons aren't that many, even if there's the gravity gun. Quality over quantity is always the rule, however we could have used more variety of guns, or have a better thought for using them. For example, one of the rifles is rather bad because of the small magazines, and both of the rifles' secondary fire is very limited due to the lack of proper ammo; the magnum is great, but I hardly found that many ammo to use it so often; the grenades must be choose apart, while it should have been a button instead, or at least a faster way to choose it. And few weapons won't be used at all after certain parts, like the pheromone bomb. And while the gravity gun is a great invention, I found it very limited at times and, to be honest, I used it only on one section (Ravenholm), and NEVER used it again, because there was almost no other reason to use it afterwards and, strangely, only a very limited amount of weapons could be used. On the other hand, when it gets powered, things change completely. Just too bad it's for a brief time. All in all, I liked this game, but I honestly expected much more: while the first one had flaws and could use some more story and more balance, in here the situations don't always match the story properly, resulting in some unnecessary padding at times, and while it was very innovative for its time (and still kinda is), right now we also have games that took from the innovation that this game made and actually evolved it. Probably I'm just not a fan of this game and opinions will be varied, but it's still a good game to play and there's nothing exactly wrong with it. However, if people can't go past the "oldness" of this game, probably it's better to step away. Or else, give it a try and see for yourself. Expand
  33. Sep 8, 2011
    The greatest single player first person shooter ever made. If a game better than this is ever created it will be by the same team. Valve rule the world and Gabe is a god.
  34. Aug 16, 2011
    Creo que lo he jugado muchas veces, lo voy a descargar de nuevp desde mi steam para jugarlo otra vez, es el mejor fps de todos, jamas me aburre y la historia te inmersa en un mundo realmente increible!!, ojala pudiera entrar en el juego!!, le doy 10, lo he jugado desde muchos años...realmente sick!!!
  35. Oct 15, 2011
    this is made of gold, and shining diamonds, and chrome, and everything good about existence. you may find yourself in the zelda pose, where you dont know what to do, but in this, its fun, so for 6 quid go get
  36. Sep 18, 2011
    Half-Life 2 is an amazing game that should be in every household for FPS fans. This is the best FPS I have ever played. The story and voice acting was performed and done perfectly in every aspect, all the emotions and dialog was spot on with the events happening in the game. The story of Half-Life is truly amazing. It pull's you in and makes you want to keep playing, when most of the timeHalf-Life 2 is an amazing game that should be in every household for FPS fans. This is the best FPS I have ever played. The story and voice acting was performed and done perfectly in every aspect, all the emotions and dialog was spot on with the events happening in the game. The story of Half-Life is truly amazing. It pull's you in and makes you want to keep playing, when most of the time with first person shooters, the formula is "Go here, kill those guys, BIG EXPLOSION, game end". But with Half-Life 2, they slow down and take some time to think. And not only that, the action is amazing and fun. There is only one problem and that is that the AI is stupid and lacking at times, but it doesn't effect the game play that much, it just makes the enemies a little easier. Any gamer that has a brain in their head, should own this game, or have at least played it. Expand
  37. Dec 1, 2011
    Simply the best singleplayer experience offered by any fps ever. Who says you need to invest big time into multiplayer to make a game that people might actually buy. The $9.99 steam price tag also helps this game greatly. Reasonable pricing and solid singleplayer make this game simply unbeatable.
  38. Nov 11, 2014
    Probably the best game ever made, and I'm not even talking about the standalone game I'm talking about all the mods the community have made, No wonder valve isn't releasing hl3 yet we need that great feeling again.
  39. Jun 8, 2012
    Some of the negative reviews here are partially correct. For the most part, however, they are wrong. At the time of release, Half-Life 2 was exceptional. Technically speaking, Half-Life 2 was years ahead of its time; just as the first Half-Life was, years before. Half-Life 2 brought a level of interactivity and immersion that gamers had never even thought of. The game was able toSome of the negative reviews here are partially correct. For the most part, however, they are wrong. At the time of release, Half-Life 2 was exceptional. Technically speaking, Half-Life 2 was years ahead of its time; just as the first Half-Life was, years before. Half-Life 2 brought a level of interactivity and immersion that gamers had never even thought of. The game was able to accomplish a very cinematic feel and tell a great, detailed story without the use of cut-scenes. The facial expressions of the characters in Half-Life 2 were something that blew away many gamers. Facial expressions in video games have never been done with such detail, the only game that has beat Half-Life 2's facial expressions is L.A. Noire. L.A. Noire didn't come out until 2011, seven years after the release of Half-Life 2. That tells you just how technically advanced HL2 was. Facial expressions were not the only aspect of HL2 that seemed to catch player's attention. The physics engine is what had many players and critics alike in a frenzy. While real-time physics had been in video games before, Half-Life 2 took it to a whole new level. It made players actually use physics in order to solve puzzles and defeat certain enemies, instead of using the engine as something cool to look at, e.g., Halo series. The level of immersion that followed was overwhelmingly satisfying. Players were given the freedom to interact with many objects and do many things that they normally could not do in other games. Half-Life 2 gave players the illusion of freedom; many puzzles were designed so that there was no specific way to accomplish them. Not only that, but many areas had secret alcoves and otherwise unreachable areas that could only be reached if the player utilized the physics engine, giving players a sense of an open-environment. Half-Life 2 is able to create a very non-linear experience within an extremely linear game. I believe that this is one of the main reasons why critics loved it. Many of the things I have said here only scratch the surface, Half-Life 2 has immense replayability value. No there isn't any collectibles, or levels to achieve. But the game, much like a good movie, had many small things that were easily missed. Playing it through for a second time, a player will be more likely to discover these little things. Secret areas, interesting mini-puzzles, and G-Man sitings are a few things that make the game worth playing again and again. I first bought this game four years ago, and it completely blew my mind. I have since replayed it four times now. With every playthrough, I found something new. Half-Life 2 truly is an amazing game. If you are reading this and have ever considered trying it, but never got around to buying it, take my advice: go buy Half-Life 2 right now. I sincerely believe that Half-Life 2 is our generation's Super Mario Bros., it's simply a game that will always be remembered. Thanks for reading, Signed: Culture F. Expand
  40. Jul 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is honestly one of the Greatest FPS! It is a lost art for today's games to take you on an adventure like HL2 does. The ability to play this game again and again without ever getting board is mind blowing. Great game for the mind and the trigger. All around great game. I do like how it takes you into a mystery at the end of where you are and who's watching you. Great concept. Expand
  41. Apr 26, 2014
    The original revolutionized gaming forever, and this sequel did the same. 10 years later I am still in love with this game. The story is incredible, the gameplay is flawless, and the source engine of course speaks for itself. This is a game that deserves every point of its perfect score.
  42. Nov 29, 2014
    Actually, I liked the first game better. Half Life 1 is my favorite game of all times. But since I'd give that game a 11, I'll give HL2 a 10.

So, ok, I'll look at it as it was back in 2004 and I'll say how it stands today. The atmosphere is incredible. The soundtrack is really memorable, the graphics were awesome in 2004 (maybe not as beautiful as FarCry, but still...) and the whole

The atmosphere is incredible. The soundtrack is really memorable, the graphics were awesome in 2004 (maybe not as beautiful as FarCry, but still...) and the whole universe presented to us is well created. It just... feels real, and the team seemed to draw much inspiration from books like 1984. And I love 1984. The whole concept of a dystopian world amuses me. Of course, the graphics have not aged that well, but the world the game presents is still very memorable, and still is very atmospheric. Few games do that nowadays. I can think only of Batman: Arkham series, Bioshock and maybe The Last of Us, but I have not played the last.

The gameplay, for me, at last, is not as good as Half Life 1. The weapons lack some punch, but the enemies are fun to deal with (although it's a shame that they scraped some enemies from HL1). And the gravity gun, oh man... The gravity gun is so awesome that I never seen such a cool weapon in any other game. It's a game-changing weapon, and it was there also to showcase the realistic physics engine.

And the Half Life series always had such a great pacing. Calm moments. Exploration moments. And really fast-paced moments. And the game plays really well on all of them. And that's thanks to the amazing level design, which is as good as the first game, if not a little better.

The story is pretty simple, and much people complain about Gordon being idolatred by everyone... but, c'mon, he saved the **** planet Earth, and he is just a theoretical scientist, who barely know how to use a gun. And the journey of the hero is a bit clichéd, but you actually FEEL like you are saving the world. I mean... let's look at Master Chief, for example. I kinda like Halo. And Master Chief saves the **** galaxy, but I don't feel like I'm really doing it. It's like "oh, I'm saving the galaxy, ok". And Half Life there's a feeling of desperation, and it is all very subtle at the same time. It's really damn nice. And the story tells you so much with so little... there are still few games that do this today. And, this time, I can only think of Bioshock. Few clues in the environment that tell a much bigger story. That's something more games should seek to do.

So, yeah... to me, it's not as good as the first one, but it is an amazing experience if you enjoy first person shooters. And even if you don't like the genre, you should give it at least a try. Half Life 2 is one of the best games of the 2000's, and has a perfect balance between old mechanics (huge weapons limit, frenetic gameplay, absence of iron sights, level exploration, puzzles) and new mechanics (story-driven game, changes in pacing, search for a somewhat realistic universe). So... try it once you can! You won't regret it. The worst that can happen is to you find it boring, but it's not gonna piss you off.
  43. Dec 1, 2014
    So this is one of those titles I remember waiting, not much to play, not because I knew and was fan of the series; but because something big was bound to happen. The gaming show back in 2004 was all about how cool and innovative Half-Life 2 was going to be. And then it was.
    This is one of the finest gaming moments since the creation of video-games. Now that VALVE is all-powerful with steam and this is 11 years old you can pretty much almost for free there with expansions.
    Hell, 11 years after, launched pre-last gen, and still newer games can't stand against it. That says a thing or two.
  44. Feb 3, 2015
    I really enjoyed the first Half-Life, but the sequel was mediocre for the most part. The graphics were really top notch for their time, and today the Source engine is an incredible success and very well optimized. Aside from the gravity gun, the rest of the gun-play was not great. The story was mediocre, with one dull cut scene after another, some trope fostering a communist politicalI really enjoyed the first Half-Life, but the sequel was mediocre for the most part. The graphics were really top notch for their time, and today the Source engine is an incredible success and very well optimized. Aside from the gravity gun, the rest of the gun-play was not great. The story was mediocre, with one dull cut scene after another, some trope fostering a communist political overtone in an hyperbolic fascist Orwellian dystopia. Perhaps the most overrated game of all time, but still worthy of recognition and respect for the technically innovative Source game engine Expand
  45. Sep 26, 2011
    Half Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other scienceHalf Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other science fiction, it's not as original as many claim. Half Life 2 has awesome graphics, innovative physics, game play, fabulously designed levels and game moments but my point is that it shows how lacking and unoriginal the rest of the industry is - that many would claim Half Life 2 to be better than it actually is. If Half Life 2 is the best there is in single player gaming - then video games truely are lacking... HL2 is still a real achievement and Valve has something to be proud of. Expand
  46. Jan 10, 2012
    I finally got around to finishing this game in 2011. Every other time I gave up in Ravenholm after getting bored. While the game does have some great qualities, It's very overrated. Let's talk about the good first: The graphics are amazing and have aged so well! You'd never guess it was made 7 years ago. The games progression, while linear, is very varied and entertaining. There are actionI finally got around to finishing this game in 2011. Every other time I gave up in Ravenholm after getting bored. While the game does have some great qualities, It's very overrated. Let's talk about the good first: The graphics are amazing and have aged so well! You'd never guess it was made 7 years ago. The games progression, while linear, is very varied and entertaining. There are action packed moments, puzzles, and vehicle sequences. Unlike other shooters, this game does a great job of making fights feel epic (strider battles!). Now for the bad. The story is boring and the characters aren't very interesting. There are a few deadly glitches. The enemy variety isn't too high. The vehicle sequences are mostly boring. Sometimes the varied gameplay takes you from playstyles that you like to playstyles that you hate. Feels a bit formulaic at times. Regardless, with how cheap this game is on Steam these days it's still a must buy especially since it has aged so well. Expand
  47. Nov 5, 2010
    This was the game that got me into FPSs - although of course it's far more than that. Half-Life 2 was the first game in which I experienced 'real' physics. Completely absorbing from start to finish. Brilliant!
  48. Sep 3, 2011
    With its excellent suspense, atmosphere, gameplay, puzzles(Though they can get frustrating at times), story, and graphics(Even at September 2011 it is beautiful), Half-Life 2 competes with the first Half-Life and Deus Ex for the best PC game ever made.
  49. Dec 20, 2014
    The best game ever for me. Half Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copiedThe best game ever for me. Half Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other science fiction, it's not as original as many claim. Half Life 2 has awesome graphics, innovative physics, game play, fabulously designed levels and game moments but my point is that it shows how lacking and unoriginal the rest of the industry is - that many would claim Half Life 2 to be better than it actually is. If Half Life 2 is the best there is in single player gaming - then video games truely are lacking... HL2 is still a real achievement and Valve has something to be proud of. Expand
  50. Dec 31, 2014
    Half Life 2 is a FPS type game being developed by Valve in 2004 after a development period of 5 years. Half Life 2 has sparked positive reactions, winning over 35 awards for Game of the Year in 2004. The action takes place 20 years after the Black Mesa incident (Half Life 1). The game begins with G-Man speaking to Gordon as in a dream, then finds his way to "City 17". The story staysHalf Life 2 is a FPS type game being developed by Valve in 2004 after a development period of 5 years. Half Life 2 has sparked positive reactions, winning over 35 awards for Game of the Year in 2004. The action takes place 20 years after the Black Mesa incident (Half Life 1). The game begins with G-Man speaking to Gordon as in a dream, then finds his way to "City 17". The story stays pretty well at the game. I could give more account details but so would give some spoilers, so better not. From a visual perspective stay perfect to game. Until 2004 we have not seen any games that have a facial mimics so well developed. Honestly I think is one better than some games in 2005-2006 +. In terms of graphics and are well established. The sound effects and music in the game is something I will not forget anytime soon. In my opinion the game is falling Must Play, maybe even a masterpiece. I honestly really did not expect to be so good one. Expand
  51. Jan 6, 2015
    This game is dope as hell. I'd never played a half life game before, so I didn't know what to expect. Even though the game is pretty linear, I got so enveloped in the gameplay that I didn't even care. So amazing. Easily one of the 3 best games I've ever played.
  52. Jan 15, 2015
    Amazing. The game fells like virtual reality but it's on a compuer. It's one of the most realistically scripted games I have ever played, and for all you who don't like it, Send your opinions elsewhere.
  53. Dec 7, 2014
    Interesting game, great concept and story, something every game needs and is preliminary in creating a good game overall. It's possible to get repetitive, but it's creative problem solving outmatches it a lot.

Also consider its year of production.
  54. Dec 27, 2014
    people seem to be writing reviews from a current perspective. At the time of release this game was the puppies privates of the FPS world. Beautiful gfx, Havok physics engine implemented, awesome story, great sounds and effects. nothing compared at the time of release. same can be said for doom, Dukenukem, Q1, Q2,HL1, Unreal, Unreal tournament etc.......... AT THE TIME they wherepeople seem to be writing reviews from a current perspective. At the time of release this game was the puppies privates of the FPS world. Beautiful gfx, Havok physics engine implemented, awesome story, great sounds and effects. nothing compared at the time of release. same can be said for doom, Dukenukem, Q1, Q2,HL1, Unreal, Unreal tournament etc.......... AT THE TIME they where outstanding and mostly groundbreaking. Expand
  55. Jan 14, 2015
    Oh where to begin? This game has had so much praise put upon it and it truly deserves it all. What makes this game though isn't its story or its game play, no what truly makes this an awesome experience is how organic and absorbing it is. The whole game is dripping with atmosphere. The pacing and difficulty curve is well crafted and the game manages to make traveling tense and exciting.Oh where to begin? This game has had so much praise put upon it and it truly deserves it all. What makes this game though isn't its story or its game play, no what truly makes this an awesome experience is how organic and absorbing it is. The whole game is dripping with atmosphere. The pacing and difficulty curve is well crafted and the game manages to make traveling tense and exciting. I'd say that unless you're one of those people who hates a game that isn't constant action then play this game just for the experience alone.

I only really have one problem that is that the allies you get aren't very clever and don't seem to have a sense of self preservation. All of the NPCs seem to rely very heavily on Gordan Freeman to the point where you have to wonder how the resistance survived before he showed up.

But this is just one thing that you won't really notice while playing because this isn't a game it's an experience that everyone should have!
  56. Jan 7, 2015
    If you don't have this game buy it. It is one of the best games ever and amazing visuals even today especially in 2004 fantastic and if you have completed it you can get mods fantastic.
  57. Apr 16, 2014
    The game I compare all others to. I love it! The first ever time I felt like I was playing a movie. It feels dated to look at now, but the game play and sound design are still far better than most new games. If you've not played it yet, BUY IT NOW! But get the PC version - the Xbox one was a poor port.
  58. Sep 3, 2012
    If you are reading the reviews there is a chance you didn't played this game yet. Let me tell you one thing: I envy you. This game has the best and longer FPS campaign ever.
  59. Oct 18, 2011
    Absolutely the #1 Shooter of all time. There is nothing to compare it to because it is just that groundbreaking and original. Half Life 2 Possesses a level of game flow that few games even attempt. By far for the price of it there is no reason every gamer in the world should not own this game.
  60. Oct 26, 2011
    You have never played a game so diverse in it's environments and gameplay variety, it is quite simple one of the best games I have ever played. It has managed to trump its predecessor in every conceivable way, and then some... The Graphics in 2011 aren't all that great (download Cinematic Mod) but that aside, the sheer amount of fun you can have for the price is ridiculous. You are neverYou have never played a game so diverse in it's environments and gameplay variety, it is quite simple one of the best games I have ever played. It has managed to trump its predecessor in every conceivable way, and then some... The Graphics in 2011 aren't all that great (download Cinematic Mod) but that aside, the sheer amount of fun you can have for the price is ridiculous. You are never in one place too long, or doing something for so long it becomes tedious, as the game takes you through different areas, changing your play style subtly and introducing new mechanics and weapons (such is the world renowned Gravity Gun) as well as new enemies. The story unfolds very, very well and the pacing is of the highest quality you will find in a shooter even now in 2011. Voice work is top-notch and animations can be stellar even by todays standards. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys shooters for what they are and is willing to ditch the typical iron-sight for a more classic, fire-from-the-hip feel. Trust me when I say, it is worth every cent. Expand
  61. Sep 17, 2012
    This is the best FPS of all time, and I say that with 100% confidence. No other FPS even comes close to the sheer brilliance of this game. The physics, level design, and gameplay are unmatched. If you haven't play this yet, you are missing out.
  62. Nov 12, 2011
    Half Life 2 is one of the best games I have ever played, the storyline is fantastic! On the very first level you get sucked into the world of City 17. Basically the game takes place years after HL1. You are a scientist named Gordon Freeman and your mission is to try and stop the Combine from wiping out humanity all together. The Physics are very well done thanks to the Source Engine. TheHalf Life 2 is one of the best games I have ever played, the storyline is fantastic! On the very first level you get sucked into the world of City 17. Basically the game takes place years after HL1. You are a scientist named Gordon Freeman and your mission is to try and stop the Combine from wiping out humanity all together. The Physics are very well done thanks to the Source Engine. The sounds and graphics are also very good as well.

Bravo Valve!
  63. Jan 3, 2012
    Poor graphics. That's IT. A true benchmark for PC games, and an example all developers should learn from. Award-worthy story, overwhelming atmoshpere, dynamic physics, perfectly paced action and puzzles, intense firefights, good character development, surrealism in video game form, and one of the biggest moral plights in video gaming history; Gordon Freeman--the "badass normal" scientistPoor graphics. That's IT. A true benchmark for PC games, and an example all developers should learn from. Award-worthy story, overwhelming atmoshpere, dynamic physics, perfectly paced action and puzzles, intense firefights, good character development, surrealism in video game form, and one of the biggest moral plights in video gaming history; Gordon Freeman--the "badass normal" scientist turned soldier, originally intending to create and produce, suddenly turned warrior with all the paradoxis of killing to save, fighting for peace, and destroying to create that go along with it when he (technically was used) to start a chain reaction of events that ends everything he ever cared about. Which he only found out about after several years of being in limbo. If anyone's tragic, it's him. And he's never said a word. Expand
  64. Apr 22, 2014
    Damn. That's about all I can say on this game. It's so good it left me at awe like the first one did. This is an essential to all gamers alike. The engine on this makes it a beauty visually for it's time, and the ability to intereact with items in your surroundings and such makes this all the more pleasurable as you are able to use a few guns that typically look cheesy but on Half LifeDamn. That's about all I can say on this game. It's so good it left me at awe like the first one did. This is an essential to all gamers alike. The engine on this makes it a beauty visually for it's time, and the ability to intereact with items in your surroundings and such makes this all the more pleasurable as you are able to use a few guns that typically look cheesy but on Half Life these guns are just as cool as Brando. You take on the role of hero Gordon Freeman a physicist I think that is by chance a bad ass with weaponry etc. Anyways you can figure out the story yourselves. On PC this is a must have for everyone who likes to game. On steam it's almost a crime if you don't at least try to play the game demo etc. This game is probably one of my personal favorites along with the sequel/expansions that are just as good but visually better. The game is a non stop thrill and I recommend this to anyone as you encounter a lot of puzzles with your surroundings (not puzzles like Tetris mind you) and and action fps what is not to like about this game? Expand
  65. Oct 29, 2014
    Greatest game in history, now in 2014 it still has decent graphics

Amazing storyline and diverse and nice combat and physics mechanics

it is the #1 game in history
  66. Nov 18, 2015
    This game is beautiful.

Amazing level design? Check. Amazing characters? Check. Fun gameplay? Check. Good story? Check. Crowbar? Check Half Life 3 Confirmed? Maybe... The one thing that holds this back from being a 10/10 is that, well to put it simply, there is zero replay value. Once you beat it, you beat it. No point in going back really, unless you want to just play the game
    This game is beautiful.

Amazing level design? Check.
    Amazing characters? Check.
    Fun gameplay? Check.
    Good story? Check.
    Crowbar? Check
    Half Life 3 Confirmed? Maybe...

The one thing that holds this back from being a 10/10 is that, well to put it simply, there is zero replay value. Once you beat it, you beat it. No point in going back really, unless you want to just play the game again.

Still an amazing game though.
  67. NiekM.
    May 14, 2006
    i think they amde a great engine for the game but though. Everyone thinks that.
  68. TelmoC.
    May 9, 2006
    The best game in the world.
  69. LukeM.
    May 12, 2006
    Best Game Ever!!!!
  70. DeVoiDAnGeL
    May 9, 2006
    For the peeps who said, "oh, just following the crowd and give it a 10". this game IS A TEN (10) TEN. for all the slack-tards complaining about steam, or im not in it for the graphics, kiss my biffins' bridge.. You people that are never satisfied with anything.. you lack imagination and I would suggest you go by a leap-frog game.......... more fitted to your mental capacity The For the peeps who said, "oh, just following the crowd and give it a 10". this game IS A TEN (10) TEN. for all the slack-tards complaining about steam, or im not in it for the graphics, kiss my biffins' bridge.. You people that are never satisfied with anything.. you lack imagination and I would suggest you go by a leap-frog game.......... more fitted to your mental capacity The sequel will be just as great! Expand
  71. Jun 15, 2012
    One of the most important experiences of my life. Completely changed the way I look at the world, made me start appreciating the greatness, beauty and mystery of life, world, universe, science, technology, intelligence and human spirit. 10/10, 100%, I don't think that any videogame will ever influence me so much.
  72. Oct 9, 2012
    Lo primero que debes hacer si estas leyendo esto y aun no has jugado a este juego es ir corriendo a comprarlo/descargarlo/loqueseaperohazloya!! porque es el mejor juego de las últimas décadas (el mejor que yo he jugado). La primera vez, de las muchas que me lo pasé, fue una experiencia genial e increible:
    gráficos, sonido, ambientación, inteligencia de
    gráficos, sonido, ambientación, inteligencia de los enemigos, y por encima de todo, jugabilidad.
    Es el juego en primera persona mas profundo, variado, imaginativo y divertido que existe!
    Una obra maestra que aunque tenga ocho años, sigue siendo imbatible hoy en día.
    Gráficos: 10 Sonido: 9 Diversión/jugabilidad: 10 Duracíon: 8,5
  73. Jun 12, 2012
    From the gameplay, to graphics and sound section then, this game is spectacular. A compelling story, divided into episodes, not so linear gameplay, varied and full of surprises, with the use of physics. Using a gravity gun is the most innovative game, something never seen before. The Source engine debuts with this game, and to date, complied very well with one of the best physical that canFrom the gameplay, to graphics and sound section then, this game is spectacular. A compelling story, divided into episodes, not so linear gameplay, varied and full of surprises, with the use of physics. Using a gravity gun is the most innovative game, something never seen before. The Source engine debuts with this game, and to date, complied very well with one of the best physical that can be found for a game. The original voices are among the best out there for a game (Valve always take care of this). Expand
  74. Mar 22, 2013
    Half life 2 is truly the best single videogame I've ever played. Great graphics, physics, level design, plot, characters, weapons, difficulty, enemies, and overall gameplay experience I have had and probably will have for a long time. (Read: When HL3 comes out) And once you've finished the game, you can enjoy going back and finding all the subtle things you missed, or try out some of theHalf life 2 is truly the best single videogame I've ever played. Great graphics, physics, level design, plot, characters, weapons, difficulty, enemies, and overall gameplay experience I have had and probably will have for a long time. (Read: When HL3 comes out) And once you've finished the game, you can enjoy going back and finding all the subtle things you missed, or try out some of the community made mods for the game. You can get this game for $10 which is just about the best price vs. entertainment factor I've ever seen. Ever. Expand
  75. Jul 23, 2012
    Not much to add here- a game every gamer should play at least once. A story, soundtrack, and experience to rival that of any other piece of fiction. Despite not really enjoying HL1's overall gameplay (and horribly dated graphics), HL2 more than makes up for it. Anyone who dismissed this game after having an unfavorable experience with its predecessor absolutely should give it a second look.
  76. May 23, 2012
    I have played many games, but there is only one game I keep coming back to hoping to know what happens next, and this is it. My favourite game of all time!
  77. Nov 2, 2012
    This is the greatest video game ever made.

As someone who has been a fan of Half Life 2 for years, I have never really quit playing it - although I have taken some pretty big breaks in between. It is during my current playthrough that I decided to come write a short review on Metacritic to describe just how I feel about this game. I am sure there isn't a reputable gamer alive that
    This is the greatest video game ever made.

I am sure there isn't a reputable gamer alive that isn't fully aware of Half Life 2 and the hype surrounding it. And as beloved as it is, I would still so far as to say that this game is one of the most underrated games of all time.

How can a game that is widely considered by many as the greatest shooter to date, and even still by others (such as myself) as the greatest video game period, be underrated?

As difficult that would be to explain, it's equally difficult attempting to convey just how great this game is in so short of space. Indeed, the fact that a game so good can be so under appreciated is something that has baffled me for quite a time. In my humble opinion, no amount of praise or appreciation for Half Life 2 would suffice. What Valve has created is simply a work of art. The visuals, sound, gameplay, and storytelling are of among the best the gaming world had ever seen. It's incredible just how amazing and groundbreaking was every facet of Half Life 2, in respect to the time it was released, and even more incredible that each groundbreaking aspect was all in the same game. The game that literally had it all. The Beatles of the PC gaming world. The fact that Half Life 2 can still be played today, 8 years later, and can be every bit as impressive as modern shooters (more, in some instances), truly testifies to just how great this game is. This is truly the greatest game ever made.
  78. Mar 13, 2012
    What can I say? This game really shouldnt even be called a game. What it sets out to do is so beyond our standard notion of videogames that it defies that categorization. The fundamental difference between Half Life 2 and "videogames" is that Half Life 2 wants you to go on an adventure, not play a game. Do you see the difference? Videogames are predicated on the fact that they have toWhat can I say? This game really shouldnt even be called a game. What it sets out to do is so beyond our standard notion of videogames that it defies that categorization. The fundamental difference between Half Life 2 and "videogames" is that Half Life 2 wants you to go on an adventure, not play a game. Do you see the difference? Videogames are predicated on the fact that they have to entertain you through the provision of some form of "play" or "game". Half Life 2 isn't about getting to play with a gun, or killing a roomful of aliens: It's not a game. It's not play. All that stuff comes as an afterthought. The entire point of Half Life 2 is that you get to witness the most important day in Gordon Freeman's life in its entirety - and It was one hell of a day. If you were to watch a playthrough of Half Life 2 without having any control over the character at all, It really wouldn't effect the overall experience that much. No other game studio has had, or since had, the balls to do something like this, and not even Valve -at least not until Half Life 3. Half Life 2 is virtual reality at it's finest, and you owe it to yourself to experience it. Expand
  79. Mar 13, 2012
    Best Game Forever! The game is very well armed, the maps are unique, and the game has a plot that grabs you.
    Better gameplay, better story, good graphics, nothing else to say!
    just, Who the hell is Gman?!
  80. Nov 19, 2012
    Who does not like FPS probably never played Half-Life. Why? Simple! This game has one of the best storylines I've ever seen in a game!! Stupid games like Call Of Duty and Battlefield who invests only in Multiplayer mode sullied the image of the true FPS games.
  81. Apr 1, 2012
    Half Life 2 is FPS perfection. Nothing gets better than this. For a game of 2004 the graphics are astounding. The interaction in-game characters have with you and facial movement is remarkable. The shooting is back and better than ever. Now less repetitive, longer, better and sexier.
  82. Jun 2, 2012
    This game is way too good. It does not deserve a review, it would be futile to try and judge this game. It is too perfect. Judging it would delay Half life 3 even further.
  83. Mar 23, 2014
    Best single player game ever. 10 years later most of these scenes are still better looking than the newest games that come out in 2014, and it deserves an 11 for that. Graphics aren't just high definition textures and more polygons, they are also the context they are put into, proportion, and sound.
  84. Jun 18, 2012
    Simply amazing. A large improvement from the original. The story can be hard to follow, but it's still interesting. Graphics are amazing as always, especially with the new physics engine implemented in. I'm looking forward to the future of this game franchise.
  85. Jul 22, 2012
    And in response to some fa**ot that commented some time ago:

I'm sure in 2004 this was the best game ever and blew minds, but this is 2012 and I'm judging it by 2012 standards. -ok fine 1) the game is 100% linear, claustrophobically linear. -Sometimes linear is needed for a storyline to be followed right. 2) it handles like **** The controls are not responsive, jumping is a pain,
    And in response to some fa**ot that commented some time ago:

-ok fine
    2) it handles like **** The controls are not responsive, jumping is a pain, etc.
    -The handling is just perfect.
    -The controles are responsive, just not for your **** HP wireless keyboard, or maybe you're playing it on ps3/xbox.
    -You can jump by pressing space.
    -etc.
    3) The guns are really dull except for the gravity gun.
    -That can be set by setting difficulty.
    -It could also help a whole lot to aim at the enemy.
    4) The enemy AI is beyond retarded.
    -Set dificulty higher.
    5) The story is an incoherent mess.
    -Follow the storyline. It aint hard to understand if you understand english.
    6) the art is soviet era rot, brown and grey and depressing That is because the enviroment is supposed to be depressing. It aint Angry birds you're playing.
    7) the assests look like they are from 2004, you know when videocards had 128mb of ram and people were playing games on the ps2 and original xbox? And don't forget that this game was made for original xbox. -The game is for 2004, so I guess it looks like it's from 2004.
    8) puzzles involve moving boxes around, and platforming with above mentioned **** controls. All in all, this game just does not stack up to great shooters like like crysis, Stalker, Metro, New Vegas, DayZ, etc. I supose if you are into playing old games like Fallout 1&2, Thief, etc., then you'll like this one. But if you are like me and find old PS2/xbox era games totally unfun, then stay away. YMMV blahblah.
    -Physics were new at that time. If you know how to think through obstacles and can actualy use a keyboard, it's no problem solving.
  86. Sep 7, 2012
    This game is a must-play. It´s a prime example for storytelling and the graphics were and still are quite good. It's not simply a FPS-shooter, also a puzzle-game with lots of vehicle-passages mixed in, so that despite its length of about 20 hours Half-Life 2 never gets boring. What makes the Experience so great is the authentic way the story of Gordon Freeman is told. Never does theThis game is a must-play. It´s a prime example for storytelling and the graphics were and still are quite good. It's not simply a FPS-shooter, also a puzzle-game with lots of vehicle-passages mixed in, so that despite its length of about 20 hours Half-Life 2 never gets boring. What makes the Experience so great is the authentic way the story of Gordon Freeman is told. Never does the player see or hear anything else than Dr. Freeman would, nor is he ever interrupted by instructions or else on the screen. He simply IS Gordon Freeman. Expand
  87. Sep 9, 2012
    The masterpiece! Awesome story, unique art/level design style, interesting game universe and excellent gameplay. Also it was revolutionary in graphics, remember E3 2003? My mind was blown back then.The game still locking awesome, and i replay it again and again... P.S. Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Ukraine :D
  88. Oct 12, 2012
    Half-life 2,like its predecessor, is one of those games that leave a mark. Masterpiece of fps games! run to buy this game if you haven't already done.
  89. Dec 13, 2012
    Definitely one of the best FPS games ever. This game is what really started it all for Steam. It was a beautiful game back then and still stands the test of time today without any modding. It's packaged in a multitude of bundles and is on sale regularly so it's a real shame if you haven't played it within the past 8 years.
  90. Nov 27, 2013
    This game is a legend at the time of 2004, she produced a blast, and not only in graphics, ease of management, charismatic characters, cool music and interesting oruzhiem.Kompaniya in this game is incredibly diverse, it has car chases, shootouts, horror, atmosphere humor, scale, coop with bots and of course G-man, maybe now on the background of modern games and you will not experienceThis game is a legend at the time of 2004, she produced a blast, and not only in graphics, ease of management, charismatic characters, cool music and interesting oruzhiem.Kompaniya in this game is incredibly diverse, it has car chases, shootouts, horror, atmosphere humor, scale, coop with bots and of course G-man, maybe now on the background of modern games and you will not experience

Это 2004-года 2004-ом
  91. Dec 3, 2012
    What makes Half Life 2 one of the best games of all time is the subtle things included in it. Every detail is measured. Every moment is epic. The settings looked so realistic, you could swear this was happening in your local town, city, whatever (or even your own backyard). The story doesn't grab you by the throat in any way, but it truly makes you feel like you are a survivor in aWhat makes Half Life 2 one of the best games of all time is the subtle things included in it. Every detail is measured. Every moment is epic. The settings looked so realistic, you could swear this was happening in your local town, city, whatever (or even your own backyard). The story doesn't grab you by the throat in any way, but it truly makes you feel like you are a survivor in a collapsed world, just like the people you encounter in your journey. If you haven't bought the game, you're missing out on the experience of a lifetime. MARK MY WORDS. Expand
  92. Dec 4, 2012
    Nearly unbeatable game; in terms of excellence that is. This was one of my earliest PC shooters and simply blew my mind. Since then it has maintained a place as my absolute favorite game of all time and will likely hold onto that title for many years to come. I have played it somewhere in the range of 15-20 times and expect many more. A true innovator.
  93. Dec 16, 2012
    Best. Game. Of. All. Time. If you call yourself a gamer, THIS is in your library. It revolutionized the genre, set the bar where gaming should be, and ultimately wrote the book on how to properly make a FPS that has graphics that have lasted a long time, large beautifully detailed maps, a huge arsenal of weapons and foes, physics that speak for themselves, and has brought us very goodBest. Game. Of. All. Time. If you call yourself a gamer, THIS is in your library. It revolutionized the genre, set the bar where gaming should be, and ultimately wrote the book on how to properly make a FPS that has graphics that have lasted a long time, large beautifully detailed maps, a huge arsenal of weapons and foes, physics that speak for themselves, and has brought us very good mods. Mods including, but not limited to: TF2, CS:S, CS:GO, NS2, and countless others that few even remember.... such as Rocket Crowbar 2 (I miss that game... :( ). When HL3 comes... I am absolutely confident that it will take the title of the best game of all time, much like a baton being passed in a relay race. Valve is undeniably the greatest game developers of our time. Expand
  94. Dec 19, 2012
    This is my favourite game series of all time. The story in this game makes you feel like you're actually the person you're playing with great physics, graphics and story telling.
  95. Feb 23, 2013
    That is why my computer to play the game. I'm grateful to uncover the phenomenon of gaming story. period and the legendary gameplay innovations brought to the game will remain a memorable one every time. crowbar crowbar crowbar
  96. Jan 30, 2013
    Uns dos melhores FPS ja feito, quase tudo nesse jogo e otimo personagens,inimigos,armas,ambientção,fisica e puzzle,sim eu sei que demorou quase 5 anos para se desenvolver half-life 2, mas com certeza a espera valeu a pena!
  97. Jan 27, 2013
    This game is amazing! I still play it today! Can't wait for ep3!
  98. Jan 27, 2013
    To this day HL2 remains one of my favorite and most replayed games in my collection. The brilliance of this game has not been matched by any FPS adventure game to date. The visual storytelling execution was spot on and the game play experience is the best description of what gaming is all about.
  99. Nov 17, 2013
    Just a perfect game of the legendary franchise. A golden example of FPS.Everything in this game is great- plot, gameplay, characters. Also can't forget the Zombie level, it was really interesting experience.

3. Playboy