Half-Life 2 PC

9.2

1. Oct 18, 2011
    Absolutely the #1 Shooter of all time. There is nothing to compare it to because it is just that groundbreaking and original. Half Life 2 Possesses a level of game flow that few games even attempt. By far for the price of it there is no reason every gamer in the world should not own this game.
  2. Oct 26, 2011
    You have never played a game so diverse in it's environments and gameplay variety, it is quite simple one of the best games I have ever played. It has managed to trump its predecessor in every conceivable way, and then some... The Graphics in 2011 aren't all that great (download Cinematic Mod) but that aside, the sheer amount of fun you can have for the price is ridiculous. You are neverYou have never played a game so diverse in it's environments and gameplay variety, it is quite simple one of the best games I have ever played. It has managed to trump its predecessor in every conceivable way, and then some... The Graphics in 2011 aren't all that great (download Cinematic Mod) but that aside, the sheer amount of fun you can have for the price is ridiculous. You are never in one place too long, or doing something for so long it becomes tedious, as the game takes you through different areas, changing your play style subtly and introducing new mechanics and weapons (such is the world renowned Gravity Gun) as well as new enemies. The story unfolds very, very well and the pacing is of the highest quality you will find in a shooter even now in 2011. Voice work is top-notch and animations can be stellar even by todays standards. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys shooters for what they are and is willing to ditch the typical iron-sight for a more classic, fire-from-the-hip feel. Trust me when I say, it is worth every cent. Expand
  3. Nov 12, 2011
    Half Life 2 is one of the best games I have ever played, the storyline is fantastic! On the very first level you get sucked into the world of City 17. Basically the game takes place years after HL1. You are a scientist named Gordon Freeman and your mission is to try and stop the Combine from wiping out humanity all together. The Physics are very well done thanks to the Source Engine. TheHalf Life 2 is one of the best games I have ever played, the storyline is fantastic! On the very first level you get sucked into the world of City 17. Basically the game takes place years after HL1. You are a scientist named Gordon Freeman and your mission is to try and stop the Combine from wiping out humanity all together. The Physics are very well done thanks to the Source Engine. The sounds and graphics are also very good as well.

Bravo Valve!
  4. Jan 3, 2012
    Poor graphics. That's IT. A true benchmark for PC games, and an example all developers should learn from. Award-worthy story, overwhelming atmoshpere, dynamic physics, perfectly paced action and puzzles, intense firefights, good character development, surrealism in video game form, and one of the biggest moral plights in video gaming history; Gordon Freeman--the "badass normal" scientistPoor graphics. That's IT. A true benchmark for PC games, and an example all developers should learn from. Award-worthy story, overwhelming atmoshpere, dynamic physics, perfectly paced action and puzzles, intense firefights, good character development, surrealism in video game form, and one of the biggest moral plights in video gaming history; Gordon Freeman--the "badass normal" scientist turned soldier, originally intending to create and produce, suddenly turned warrior with all the paradoxis of killing to save, fighting for peace, and destroying to create that go along with it when he (technically was used) to start a chain reaction of events that ends everything he ever cared about. Which he only found out about after several years of being in limbo. If anyone's tragic, it's him. And he's never said a word. Expand
  5. Mar 13, 2012
    What can I say? This game really shouldnt even be called a game. What it sets out to do is so beyond our standard notion of videogames that it defies that categorization. The fundamental difference between Half Life 2 and "videogames" is that Half Life 2 wants you to go on an adventure, not play a game. Do you see the difference? Videogames are predicated on the fact that they have toWhat can I say? This game really shouldnt even be called a game. What it sets out to do is so beyond our standard notion of videogames that it defies that categorization. The fundamental difference between Half Life 2 and "videogames" is that Half Life 2 wants you to go on an adventure, not play a game. Do you see the difference? Videogames are predicated on the fact that they have to entertain you through the provision of some form of "play" or "game". Half Life 2 isn't about getting to play with a gun, or killing a roomful of aliens: It's not a game. It's not play. All that stuff comes as an afterthought. The entire point of Half Life 2 is that you get to witness the most important day in Gordon Freeman's life in its entirety - and It was one hell of a day. If you were to watch a playthrough of Half Life 2 without having any control over the character at all, It really wouldn't effect the overall experience that much. No other game studio has had, or since had, the balls to do something like this, and not even Valve -at least not until Half Life 3. Half Life 2 is virtual reality at it's finest, and you owe it to yourself to experience it. Expand
  6. Sep 3, 2012
    If you are reading the reviews there is a chance you didn't played this game yet. Let me tell you one thing: I envy you. This game has the best and longer FPS campaign ever.
  7. Sep 17, 2012
    This is the best FPS of all time, and I say that with 100% confidence. No other FPS even comes close to the sheer brilliance of this game. The physics, level design, and gameplay are unmatched. If you haven't play this yet, you are missing out.
  8. Jan 6, 2013
    Definitely the best FPS game I have ever played! The gameplay is very fun, the story never gets boring and the graphics are AMAZING for a 2004 game! It is much better than call of stupid duty and horrible halo! It is also a steal for just £6.99 on steam so be sure to get it!
  9. Apr 16, 2014
    The game I compare all others to. I love it! The first ever time I felt like I was playing a movie. It feels dated to look at now, but the game play and sound design are still far better than most new games. If you've not played it yet, BUY IT NOW! But get the PC version - the Xbox one was a poor port.
  10. Apr 22, 2014
    Damn. That's about all I can say on this game. It's so good it left me at awe like the first one did. This is an essential to all gamers alike. The engine on this makes it a beauty visually for it's time, and the ability to intereact with items in your surroundings and such makes this all the more pleasurable as you are able to use a few guns that typically look cheesy but on Half LifeDamn. That's about all I can say on this game. It's so good it left me at awe like the first one did. This is an essential to all gamers alike. The engine on this makes it a beauty visually for it's time, and the ability to intereact with items in your surroundings and such makes this all the more pleasurable as you are able to use a few guns that typically look cheesy but on Half Life these guns are just as cool as Brando. You take on the role of hero Gordon Freeman a physicist I think that is by chance a bad ass with weaponry etc. Anyways you can figure out the story yourselves. On PC this is a must have for everyone who likes to game. On steam it's almost a crime if you don't at least try to play the game demo etc. This game is probably one of my personal favorites along with the sequel/expansions that are just as good but visually better. The game is a non stop thrill and I recommend this to anyone as you encounter a lot of puzzles with your surroundings (not puzzles like Tetris mind you) and and action fps what is not to like about this game? Expand
  11. Oct 29, 2014
    Greatest game in history, now in 2014 it still has decent graphics

Amazing storyline and diverse and nice combat and physics mechanics

it is the #1 game in history
  12. DeVoiDAnGeL
    May 9, 2006
    For the peeps who said, "oh, just following the crowd and give it a 10". this game IS A TEN (10) TEN. for all the slack-tards complaining about steam, or im not in it for the graphics, kiss my biffins' bridge.. You people that are never satisfied with anything.. you lack imagination and I would suggest you go by a leap-frog game.......... more fitted to your mental capacity The For the peeps who said, "oh, just following the crowd and give it a 10". this game IS A TEN (10) TEN. for all the slack-tards complaining about steam, or im not in it for the graphics, kiss my biffins' bridge.. You people that are never satisfied with anything.. you lack imagination and I would suggest you go by a leap-frog game.......... more fitted to your mental capacity The sequel will be just as great! Expand
  13. TelmoC.
    May 9, 2006
    The best game in the world.
  14. LukeM.
    May 12, 2006
    Best Game Ever!!!!
  15. NiekM.
    May 14, 2006
    i think they amde a great engine for the game but though. Everyone thinks that.
  16. Feb 2, 2011
    The greatest single-player FPS ever; it puts you into the story instead of merely telling you the story, it's expertly paced with big action scenes that feel as intense as they look without resorting to a shooting gallery, and it always keeps you in the sweet spot gaming goodness by giving you just enough resources to get past each challenge presented to you but demanding just enough ofThe greatest single-player FPS ever; it puts you into the story instead of merely telling you the story, it's expertly paced with big action scenes that feel as intense as they look without resorting to a shooting gallery, and it always keeps you in the sweet spot gaming goodness by giving you just enough resources to get past each challenge presented to you but demanding just enough of your skill and smarts to make even the smallest victories feel rewarding. It would be nice if Gordon Freeman had some more personality, but the breathless feel of never stopping to watch a cutscene makes this game feel alive and vibrant and all the more real. Even if you missed the first Half-Life, give this one a go. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  17. Mar 13, 2012
    Best Game Forever! The game is very well armed, the maps are unique, and the game has a plot that grabs you.
    Better gameplay, better story, good graphics, nothing else to say!
    just, Who the hell is Gman?!
  18. May 23, 2012
    I have played many games, but there is only one game I keep coming back to hoping to know what happens next, and this is it. My favourite game of all time!
  19. Jun 2, 2012
    This game is way too good. It does not deserve a review, it would be futile to try and judge this game. It is too perfect. Judging it would delay Half life 3 even further.
  20. Jun 15, 2012
    One of the most important experiences of my life. Completely changed the way I look at the world, made me start appreciating the greatness, beauty and mystery of life, world, universe, science, technology, intelligence and human spirit. 10/10, 100%, I don't think that any videogame will ever influence me so much.
  21. Jun 12, 2012
    From the gameplay, to graphics and sound section then, this game is spectacular. A compelling story, divided into episodes, not so linear gameplay, varied and full of surprises, with the use of physics. Using a gravity gun is the most innovative game, something never seen before. The Source engine debuts with this game, and to date, complied very well with one of the best physical that canFrom the gameplay, to graphics and sound section then, this game is spectacular. A compelling story, divided into episodes, not so linear gameplay, varied and full of surprises, with the use of physics. Using a gravity gun is the most innovative game, something never seen before. The Source engine debuts with this game, and to date, complied very well with one of the best physical that can be found for a game. The original voices are among the best out there for a game (Valve always take care of this). Expand
  22. Jun 18, 2012
    Simply amazing. A large improvement from the original. The story can be hard to follow, but it's still interesting. Graphics are amazing as always, especially with the new physics engine implemented in. I'm looking forward to the future of this game franchise.
  23. Jul 22, 2012
    And in response to some fa**ot that commented some time ago:

I'm sure in 2004 this was the best game ever and blew minds, but this is 2012 and I'm judging it by 2012 standards. -ok fine 1) the game is 100% linear, claustrophobically linear. -Sometimes linear is needed for a storyline to be followed right. 2) it handles like **** The controls are not responsive, jumping is a pain,
    And in response to some fa**ot that commented some time ago:

-ok fine
    2) it handles like **** The controls are not responsive, jumping is a pain, etc.
    -The handling is just perfect.
    -The controles are responsive, just not for your **** HP wireless keyboard, or maybe you're playing it on ps3/xbox.
    -You can jump by pressing space.
    -etc.
    3) The guns are really dull except for the gravity gun.
    -That can be set by setting difficulty.
    -It could also help a whole lot to aim at the enemy.
    4) The enemy AI is beyond retarded.
    -Set dificulty higher.
    5) The story is an incoherent mess.
    -Follow the storyline. It aint hard to understand if you understand english.
    6) the art is soviet era rot, brown and grey and depressing That is because the enviroment is supposed to be depressing. It aint Angry birds you're playing.
    7) the assests look like they are from 2004, you know when videocards had 128mb of ram and people were playing games on the ps2 and original xbox? And don't forget that this game was made for original xbox. -The game is for 2004, so I guess it looks like it's from 2004.
    8) puzzles involve moving boxes around, and platforming with above mentioned **** controls. All in all, this game just does not stack up to great shooters like like crysis, Stalker, Metro, New Vegas, DayZ, etc. I supose if you are into playing old games like Fallout 1&2, Thief, etc., then you'll like this one. But if you are like me and find old PS2/xbox era games totally unfun, then stay away. YMMV blahblah.
    -Physics were new at that time. If you know how to think through obstacles and can actualy use a keyboard, it's no problem solving.
  24. Jul 23, 2012
    Not much to add here- a game every gamer should play at least once. A story, soundtrack, and experience to rival that of any other piece of fiction. Despite not really enjoying HL1's overall gameplay (and horribly dated graphics), HL2 more than makes up for it. Anyone who dismissed this game after having an unfavorable experience with its predecessor absolutely should give it a second look.
  25. Sep 7, 2012
    This game is a must-play. It´s a prime example for storytelling and the graphics were and still are quite good. It's not simply a FPS-shooter, also a puzzle-game with lots of vehicle-passages mixed in, so that despite its length of about 20 hours Half-Life 2 never gets boring. What makes the Experience so great is the authentic way the story of Gordon Freeman is told. Never does theThis game is a must-play. It´s a prime example for storytelling and the graphics were and still are quite good. It's not simply a FPS-shooter, also a puzzle-game with lots of vehicle-passages mixed in, so that despite its length of about 20 hours Half-Life 2 never gets boring. What makes the Experience so great is the authentic way the story of Gordon Freeman is told. Never does the player see or hear anything else than Dr. Freeman would, nor is he ever interrupted by instructions or else on the screen. He simply IS Gordon Freeman. Expand
  26. Sep 9, 2012
    The masterpiece! Awesome story, unique art/level design style, interesting game universe and excellent gameplay. Also it was revolutionary in graphics, remember E3 2003? My mind was blown back then.The game still locking awesome, and i replay it again and again... P.S. Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Ukraine :D
  27. Oct 9, 2012
    Lo primero que debes hacer si estas leyendo esto y aun no has jugado a este juego es ir corriendo a comprarlo/descargarlo/loqueseaperohazloya!! porque es el mejor juego de las últimas décadas (el mejor que yo he jugado). La primera vez, de las muchas que me lo pasé, fue una experiencia genial e increible:
    gráficos, sonido, ambientación, inteligencia de
    gráficos, sonido, ambientación, inteligencia de los enemigos, y por encima de todo, jugabilidad.
    Es el juego en primera persona mas profundo, variado, imaginativo y divertido que existe!
    Una obra maestra que aunque tenga ocho años, sigue siendo imbatible hoy en día.
    Gráficos: 10 Sonido: 9 Diversión/jugabilidad: 10 Duracíon: 8,5
  28. Oct 12, 2012
    Half-life 2,like its predecessor, is one of those games that leave a mark. Masterpiece of fps games! run to buy this game if you haven't already done.
  29. Nov 2, 2012
    This is the greatest video game ever made.

As someone who has been a fan of Half Life 2 for years, I have never really quit playing it - although I have taken some pretty big breaks in between. It is during my current playthrough that I decided to come write a short review on Metacritic to describe just how I feel about this game. I am sure there isn't a reputable gamer alive that
    This is the greatest video game ever made.

I am sure there isn't a reputable gamer alive that isn't fully aware of Half Life 2 and the hype surrounding it. And as beloved as it is, I would still so far as to say that this game is one of the most underrated games of all time.

How can a game that is widely considered by many as the greatest shooter to date, and even still by others (such as myself) as the greatest video game period, be underrated?

As difficult that would be to explain, it's equally difficult attempting to convey just how great this game is in so short of space. Indeed, the fact that a game so good can be so under appreciated is something that has baffled me for quite a time. In my humble opinion, no amount of praise or appreciation for Half Life 2 would suffice. What Valve has created is simply a work of art. The visuals, sound, gameplay, and storytelling are of among the best the gaming world had ever seen. It's incredible just how amazing and groundbreaking was every facet of Half Life 2, in respect to the time it was released, and even more incredible that each groundbreaking aspect was all in the same game. The game that literally had it all. The Beatles of the PC gaming world. The fact that Half Life 2 can still be played today, 8 years later, and can be every bit as impressive as modern shooters (more, in some instances), truly testifies to just how great this game is. This is truly the greatest game ever made.
  30. Nov 19, 2012
    Who does not like FPS probably never played Half-Life. Why? Simple! This game has one of the best storylines I've ever seen in a game!! Stupid games like Call Of Duty and Battlefield who invests only in Multiplayer mode sullied the image of the true FPS games.
  31. Dec 3, 2012
    What makes Half Life 2 one of the best games of all time is the subtle things included in it. Every detail is measured. Every moment is epic. The settings looked so realistic, you could swear this was happening in your local town, city, whatever (or even your own backyard). The story doesn't grab you by the throat in any way, but it truly makes you feel like you are a survivor in aWhat makes Half Life 2 one of the best games of all time is the subtle things included in it. Every detail is measured. Every moment is epic. The settings looked so realistic, you could swear this was happening in your local town, city, whatever (or even your own backyard). The story doesn't grab you by the throat in any way, but it truly makes you feel like you are a survivor in a collapsed world, just like the people you encounter in your journey. If you haven't bought the game, you're missing out on the experience of a lifetime. MARK MY WORDS. Expand
  32. Dec 4, 2012
    Nearly unbeatable game; in terms of excellence that is. This was one of my earliest PC shooters and simply blew my mind. Since then it has maintained a place as my absolute favorite game of all time and will likely hold onto that title for many years to come. I have played it somewhere in the range of 15-20 times and expect many more. A true innovator.
  33. Dec 13, 2012
    Definitely one of the best FPS games ever. This game is what really started it all for Steam. It was a beautiful game back then and still stands the test of time today without any modding. It's packaged in a multitude of bundles and is on sale regularly so it's a real shame if you haven't played it within the past 8 years.
  34. Dec 16, 2012
    Best. Game. Of. All. Time. If you call yourself a gamer, THIS is in your library. It revolutionized the genre, set the bar where gaming should be, and ultimately wrote the book on how to properly make a FPS that has graphics that have lasted a long time, large beautifully detailed maps, a huge arsenal of weapons and foes, physics that speak for themselves, and has brought us very goodBest. Game. Of. All. Time. If you call yourself a gamer, THIS is in your library. It revolutionized the genre, set the bar where gaming should be, and ultimately wrote the book on how to properly make a FPS that has graphics that have lasted a long time, large beautifully detailed maps, a huge arsenal of weapons and foes, physics that speak for themselves, and has brought us very good mods. Mods including, but not limited to: TF2, CS:S, CS:GO, NS2, and countless others that few even remember.... such as Rocket Crowbar 2 (I miss that game... :( ). When HL3 comes... I am absolutely confident that it will take the title of the best game of all time, much like a baton being passed in a relay race. Valve is undeniably the greatest game developers of our time. Expand
  35. Dec 19, 2012
    This is my favourite game series of all time. The story in this game makes you feel like you're actually the person you're playing with great physics, graphics and story telling.
  36. Jan 27, 2013
    This game is amazing! I still play it today! Can't wait for ep3!
  37. Jan 27, 2013
    To this day HL2 remains one of my favorite and most replayed games in my collection. The brilliance of this game has not been matched by any FPS adventure game to date. The visual storytelling execution was spot on and the game play experience is the best description of what gaming is all about.
  38. Jan 30, 2013
    Uns dos melhores FPS ja feito, quase tudo nesse jogo e otimo personagens,inimigos,armas,ambientção,fisica e puzzle,sim eu sei que demorou quase 5 anos para se desenvolver half-life 2, mas com certeza a espera valeu a pena!
  39. Feb 23, 2013
    That is why my computer to play the game. I'm grateful to uncover the phenomenon of gaming story. period and the legendary gameplay innovations brought to the game will remain a memorable one every time. crowbar crowbar crowbar
  40. Mar 22, 2013
    Half life 2 is truly the best single videogame I've ever played. Great graphics, physics, level design, plot, characters, weapons, difficulty, enemies, and overall gameplay experience I have had and probably will have for a long time. (Read: When HL3 comes out) And once you've finished the game, you can enjoy going back and finding all the subtle things you missed, or try out some of theHalf life 2 is truly the best single videogame I've ever played. Great graphics, physics, level design, plot, characters, weapons, difficulty, enemies, and overall gameplay experience I have had and probably will have for a long time. (Read: When HL3 comes out) And once you've finished the game, you can enjoy going back and finding all the subtle things you missed, or try out some of the community made mods for the game. You can get this game for $10 which is just about the best price vs. entertainment factor I've ever seen. Ever. Expand
  41. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    Graphics are stunning and the storyline keeps being as interesting as a well-written tv series. I personally got bored very soon by the hovercraft levels but that's just one subjective flaw among innumerable actual merits.
  42. Jul 8, 2013
    The powerful source engine combined with the awesome graphics of this first person shooter makes a great experience, while AI can be bad at times, and some chapters like Root Kanal and Water Hazard can be drawn out and get really boring. The game is overall, a great game that has interesting characters that you actually care about. And for 2004 standards, that's not so bad.
  43. Sep 30, 2013
    This game is truly amazing in every way. Great storytelling and great gameplay combine into one of, if not THE, best shooter of all time. I have found myself playing it multiple times, and still enjoying it just as much as the first time.
  44. Nov 14, 2013
    Though it did change the WAY we look at games in general, I have never been wowed by Half Life's gameplay. It gets an 8 from me standing on it's genre changing nature all by its own, but if you stood it up only on it's game play, I would probably give it a 6.
  45. Nov 17, 2013
    Just a perfect game of the legendary franchise. A golden example of FPS.Everything in this game is great- plot, gameplay, characters. Also can't forget the Zombie level, it was really interesting experience.
  46. Nov 17, 2013
    There is only 4 games that I would give a 10/10 Half Life 2 is one of them. My favoraite mission is in Ravenholm. Very very jumpy from the zombies. The best thing about Half Life 2 is the Gravity gun and the voice acting. They are great. Th voice acting is great in my opinion. The best character has got to be DOG. It's in caps for a reason. DOG is amazing you can play fetch with him and IThere is only 4 games that I would give a 10/10 Half Life 2 is one of them. My favoraite mission is in Ravenholm. Very very jumpy from the zombies. The best thing about Half Life 2 is the Gravity gun and the voice acting. They are great. Th voice acting is great in my opinion. The best character has got to be DOG. It's in caps for a reason. DOG is amazing you can play fetch with him and I made him spaz out. I mean like I was not playing with DOG. I was playing with Alex. DOG was on the barrel and Alex was throwing rock at me. Funniest glitch ever! If you have never played this game I suggest you do. You are missing out on a lot.

Overall
    -Funny Glitches
    -Amazing voice acting
    -DOG
    -Gravity Gun
    Score 100/100
  47. Nov 18, 2013
    Half-Life 2. There is so much to say, and the true greatness of this game cannot be expressed in a simple review. After playing through this game, you look back and just want to play it again, to experience it all over again. Even today, Half-Life 2 still holds up in the 'looks' department, running on Valve's truly amazing Source engine. What makes Half-Life 2 so great, you might ask? WhatHalf-Life 2. There is so much to say, and the true greatness of this game cannot be expressed in a simple review. After playing through this game, you look back and just want to play it again, to experience it all over again. Even today, Half-Life 2 still holds up in the 'looks' department, running on Valve's truly amazing Source engine. What makes Half-Life 2 so great, you might ask? What makes this game from 2004 still one of the best games ever made? Let me indulge you.

As a preface to this review, I implore you to play the original Half-Life. Otherwise, this review may be a little confusing. Although playing Half-Life is not needed to understand Half-Life 2, it certainly helps in terms of the story line.

The game begins with a greeting from 'G-Man', a familiar face from the previous Half-Life games that can be seen wandering throughout Black Mesa in Half-Life. After G-Man ends his tidings, you awaken on a tram headed for 'City 17'.You have no idea why you are on the tram, or what you are doing, but you know that something is afoot. You are Gordon Freeman, a bearded scientist that used to work at Black Mesa as a physicist. This brings me to 'point one', of what makes this game truly great. Instead of being a burly super-human bullet sponge trooper with the 'generic rifle 9000' strapped to your back, you play a mute physicist. Yes, a mute physicist. This makes it a lot easier to get immersed into the game and feel like you are Gordon Freeman. This is enhanced by the fact that Freeman does not speak throughout the course of the game, allowing you, the player, to think what you wish and not be told what you are thinking by your character bursting out in song.

The story line of Half-Life 2 is a wonder to play. I won't spoil any of it for you, you'll have to experience it for yourself. A myriad of characters help Freeman on his way, fleshing out the world and making the places Freeman explores seem alive... or dead, as the case may be. Brilliant voice acting from all of the cast puts the cherry on the cake and does wonders to immerse you in the story of Gordon Freeman.

But what about gameplay? Surely gameplay is the most important thing in a GAME. Don't fret Half-Life 2's gameplay is some of the best in any game. Ever. Forget lousy 2 gun limits and boring AK-47s Freeman can carry a whole truckload of weapons and grenades; all tuned to fit in with the setting and the world. From the early pistol to the RPG and the combine weaponry, the guns in Half-Life 2 do not disappoint. The weapons feel good too they have a nice oomph to them and feel like they should as well as the animations being great across the board. Even by today's standards. And we're talking about a game that's almost 10 years old. But, it's not just guns. Oh no. Ohhhhh no. A bit into the game, you get the Gravity Gun the star of the show. With this beauty, you can lift and throw physics objects. This may seem boring at first, but wait until you pick up a buzzsaw and shoot it at that headcrab, splitting it in two. That feels awesome. But, it's not just a one-gun show. Throughout different levels, you get different, cool weapons to try. At one point, your Gravity Gun even becomes supercharged, letting you throw PEOPLE. Yes, you pick up enemies and throw them at each other.

What more can I say about this game? You owe it to yourself to play this if you haven't already. Log on to, or get Steam, and go buy it now. You'll thank me later. Trust me. This game is truly worthy of its legendary status in the hearts of many gamers. You don't even need a beast PC to play it either. As I said, 2004. You can run it. Trust me.

10/10. From the heart. One of the best games ever made.

"Wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up, and smell the ashes."
  48. Nov 21, 2013
    This game is one of those scarce ones that could survive the years to come. Hell, if the planet would be destroyed I want this piece of art to be saved along with couple of other great paintings, movies and books. If you haven't played Half-Life 2 yet, then go ahead, and don't get discouraged by the graphics, which are in my opinion still pretty good. This masterpiece provides much more.This game is one of those scarce ones that could survive the years to come. Hell, if the planet would be destroyed I want this piece of art to be saved along with couple of other great paintings, movies and books. If you haven't played Half-Life 2 yet, then go ahead, and don't get discouraged by the graphics, which are in my opinion still pretty good. This masterpiece provides much more. The Atmosphere, the story, the voice acting, the humor, environments, revolutionary gameplay, that many titles copy to this day. There is nothing else to say. Half-Life 2 is worth more than those 7 euro that it is now on Steam. Dont forget the DLCs, Happy shooting! Expand
  49. Nov 27, 2013
    If you have not played this game yet, you are missing out! This could probably be Valve's best game yet! But that's just my opinion. Now I have one more question, can we please have HL3 now? Please, Gabe?
  50. Nov 27, 2013
    This game is a legend at the time of 2004, she produced a blast, and not only in graphics, ease of management, charismatic characters, cool music and interesting oruzhiem.Kompaniya in this game is incredibly diverse, it has car chases, shootouts, horror, atmosphere humor, scale, coop with bots and of course G-man, maybe now on the background of modern games and you will not experienceThis game is a legend at the time of 2004, she produced a blast, and not only in graphics, ease of management, charismatic characters, cool music and interesting oruzhiem.Kompaniya in this game is incredibly diverse, it has car chases, shootouts, horror, atmosphere humor, scale, coop with bots and of course G-man, maybe now on the background of modern games and you will not experience

Это 2004-года 2004-ом
  51. Nov 30, 2013
    This is truly the best game i've ever played in my whole entire half life. *Pun* I can play it over and over again without getting bored. The storytelling, characters, music and physics is amazing and it's probably the best FPS of all time. (Including the Portal series)
  52. Dec 3, 2013
    Il miglior gioco che ho mai giocato trama fantastica,personaggi fantastici,gameplay vario e buono,molte armi molto fighe e non penso di aver trovato qualche errore
  53. Dec 16, 2013
    Half Life 2 is pure gaming high school at its best. Since the release of the first episode, Half Life put itself as a model of excellence for all other FPS (and not only FPS...). This second episode not only absolutely confirms the unique values of its predecessor, but also introduces new, incredible features to the first masterpiece. Incredible physics engine and physics puzzles aboveHalf Life 2 is pure gaming high school at its best. Since the release of the first episode, Half Life put itself as a model of excellence for all other FPS (and not only FPS...). This second episode not only absolutely confirms the unique values of its predecessor, but also introduces new, incredible features to the first masterpiece. Incredible physics engine and physics puzzles above all.

Any gamer that calls himself a gamer should play this artwork at least once. This is gaming history at its most glorious peaks. No one should miss it.
  54. Dec 23, 2013
    It's just amazing game. Physics looks really realistic and shooting system is great. My jaw has dropped after playing this for 30 minutes. Valve's done a great work. Graphics looks nice for 2004 and story is really addictive. I want to see next episode, Half-Life 3 or Half-Life 2: Episode Three. No words, the best game EVER.
  55. Jan 8, 2014
    Half life 2:
    +Amazing Graphics+
    +Nice Characters+
    +Nice Storyline+
    +Nice Weapons+
    +Great Enemies+
    +Strong AI+

Half life 2 is Awesome, still playing it!
  56. Mar 7, 2014
    This game is FPS at its best! No matter how many times you play it, youll either crap your pants or have your mind explode out of the sheer awesomeness of this g...you havnt lived yet.
  57. Mar 23, 2014
    Best single player game ever. 10 years later most of these scenes are still better looking than the newest games that come out in 2014, and it deserves an 11 for that. Graphics aren't just high definition textures and more polygons, they are also the context they are put into, proportion, and sound.
  58. Mar 26, 2014
    The game I have been waiting for my whole life. This is the way I like FPS genre, the gameplay of this game is just so smooth you will not believe what you see. The game has got everything you would need. When I first played it in 2004 I was amazed. I couldn't believe my eyes. The graphics and animations made the game look like a movie, everything seemed almost perfect. But then I got toThe game I have been waiting for my whole life. This is the way I like FPS genre, the gameplay of this game is just so smooth you will not believe what you see. The game has got everything you would need. When I first played it in 2004 I was amazed. I couldn't believe my eyes. The graphics and animations made the game look like a movie, everything seemed almost perfect. But then I got to experience the physics. The Source engine is really a brilliant piece of work, the way everything was moving and living really made my jaw drop. And with all these beautiful and functional graphics came an immensely intense gaming experience. Half-Life 2 focused more on the story side than its predecessor, almost every G-Man speech remained in your memory and made you really take a step back and think about all the things that happened already in the Half-Life universe. Amazing gameplay from the first game stayed and got even better because of all the new features brought by the new engine. The most anticipated game in my life did not disappoint me, this is a real must-play, which gives you no other choice in rating the game. 10/10 for my second most favourite game of all time. Expand
  59. May 10, 2014
    One word for this game: AMAZING! I never was a fan of the Half-Life series, but once i bought it along with it's episodes, i could NEVER stop playing this game until i finished them all! Half-Life 2 is a great FPS with puzzle physics, it has an amazing story and great character development within it. Now, HL2: Episode 1 Was a bit slow and less action packed then the first, but it does aOne word for this game: AMAZING! I never was a fan of the Half-Life series, but once i bought it along with it's episodes, i could NEVER stop playing this game until i finished them all! Half-Life 2 is a great FPS with puzzle physics, it has an amazing story and great character development within it. Now, HL2: Episode 1 Was a bit slow and less action packed then the first, but it does a great job at continuing the story and it's characters backgrounds. HL2: Episode 2 was "In my opinion" even better then both Episode 1 and HL2, it has AMAZING story telling, and character development, The ending is FANTASTIC to start up HL3 which i now understand is so needed by many gamers. This game and it's Episodes will knock your sock your socks off! Expand
  60. May 19, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece. Since his lauching I'm waiting for a FPS game that can provides the same experience. It's an obligatory one. You HAVE to play it. And you will get very sad after finish it, because you'll have no other good game like this to fulfill the "void" hahaha
  61. Jun 5, 2014
    A really good video game. I am not really a fan of shooters, but I have to say this game really impressed me, I haven't finished it yet, but I was looking for the reviews and I decided to come, create an account and review it at this very moment. I have it with The Orange Box for Xbox 360. Good graphics, good Soundtrack, it actually fits with the environments of the game, a good AI, goodA really good video game. I am not really a fan of shooters, but I have to say this game really impressed me, I haven't finished it yet, but I was looking for the reviews and I decided to come, create an account and review it at this very moment. I have it with The Orange Box for Xbox 360. Good graphics, good Soundtrack, it actually fits with the environments of the game, a good AI, good story, characters and for that moment, really good and revolutionary physics. In my opinion a game that really deserves your time, and your money so... RECOMMENDED. Expand
  62. Jun 6, 2014
    half-life 2 = one of the best games if not the best one i have played, with its outstanding graphics (released in 2004 so do not expect bf4 type stuff) and story this game already gets a good review but it goes even further and better, the atmosphere of the world really gets a glimpse about the alien invasion and the cities last stand, people are depresed and sad about their loss and nowhalf-life 2 = one of the best games if not the best one i have played, with its outstanding graphics (released in 2004 so do not expect bf4 type stuff) and story this game already gets a good review but it goes even further and better, the atmosphere of the world really gets a glimpse about the alien invasion and the cities last stand, people are depresed and sad about their loss and now live in a horrible place, the combat feels free (at the time) you can grab everything you like and can and throw it at enemies and even react to it and get distracted (if you throw it at the right one) and the thing that i like more above all is the characters there is only one word i can describe them........alive, well maybe two.......alive and kicking
    this game gets my 2nd place in my favorite games of all time easily
    10/10-my crowbar approves :)
  63. Jun 28, 2015
    The standard for first person shooters
    Hype can ruin your experience with a game. The higher the hype, the higher the expectations, and rarely does anything live up to it’s hype. Half-Life 2 however, does. Half- Life 2 is a near perfect first person shooter with star wars level of innovation. I didn’t really understand what was going on in the game and why it was going
    The standard for first person shooters
    Hype can ruin your experience with a game.
    Half-Life 2 however, does.
    I didn’t really understand what was going on in the game and why it was going on.
    The story and its characters couldn’t keep my attention at all, everything pertaining to the story seemed so generic to me, luckily though the gameplay is good enough on its own to take you through the 10 plus hour journey.
    Half-Life 2 is a very linear game, but at the same time every section of the game feels connected, it feels open world… you hardly ever feel like you are bread crumbed to the finish.. When you find passages you feel like it was your work, when really the game cleverly got you there with its carefully constructed design.
    The pacing is nearly perfect
    you’re slowly hand fed new weapons..
    you’ll get to a point in the game where you’re introduced to a new weapon and then instantly have to use it for what its intended for, this is a perfect way to get you accustomed to and comfortable with everything at your disposal and prevent you from wasting unnecessary ammo.
    There wasn’t one weapon or item given that I wasn’t thankful for or that I didn’t find useful.
    This is great considering you’ll find yourself in some spots out of a particular set of ammo.
    The game play is also varied, so you’re not quite sure what to expect.
    Some games find a formula and stick to it.
    Half Life 2 doesn’t do this
    one minute you’re playing a stealth shooter, the next moment you’re playing call of duty style taking out troops, and 2 hours later you’re cruising through the world with vehicle based combat only to end up at a horror game style section
    This variation keeps the game from ever feeling like a grind, but at the same time the stress is kept at a near maximum.
    You won’t find too much challenge outside of the final few chapters, but the constant feeling of survival mode will definitely have you stepping away for a few hours or days.
    I now understand why everyone wants half-life 3 so bad.
    I loved climbing through every hole not knowing who or what would meet me on the other side.
    Half-Life 2 is a must play for gamers to experience the magic every developer has been chasing since 2004
    For what it is
    First person shooter – 9.5/10
    Overall: 9.5/10
  64. Feb 26, 2015
    After all these years, HL2 feels and still plays as an excellent game. I replay this game once or twice a year ever since its release. Great storytelling, voice acting and physics.
  65. Sep 23, 2011
    Will be the best FPS you will ever play, Valve is a company that knows how to make an amazing story, and great game play and voice acting. A 10 can't even do justice to this game. Truly the best PC game of all time. deserves a 100, some critics are stupid.
  66. Aug 23, 2012
    There isn't much to add, its almost a perfect game! Only music is a little bit weak. Hopefully Half-Life 3 score will be much better. All other great games have great memorable music.
  67. Nov 3, 2013
    Half-Life 2 is one of the best FPS games, but i just liked HL1 (Half-Life 1) much more. I really miss Xen in HL 2, i know its because of story, but i really hoped on revisiting that weird dimension. I think that original half-life had more enemy types and more interesting weapons. On the other hand, the story and characters are some of the best. The only reason i do not give it 10 isHalf-Life 2 is one of the best FPS games, but i just liked HL1 (Half-Life 1) much more. I really miss Xen in HL 2, i know its because of story, but i really hoped on revisiting that weird dimension. I think that original half-life had more enemy types and more interesting weapons. On the other hand, the story and characters are some of the best. The only reason i do not give it 10 is because of parts where you drive vehicle (some of the worst driving experience i ever seen). Expand
  68. Mar 16, 2016
    dfjsal;kfdsalfjdlsajfldsakj fd;lasjfl;dsajf ewuqroepwqire;wqrewqreqwrewqrewqrewqrewqrewqrewqrewqrewfdkjslfjdsa;lkfjdslkafjdsajlkfaj;lkfdjfdasjflkads;jfkadjfdajlkfdsafdasafdfdafddfafdadffda
  69. DanL.
    May 16, 2006
    The game had great graphics and well the play of it n stuff was brilliant.
  70. Jul 29, 2012
    Exellent Game and one of my alltime Favorites. A Milestone in the Gaming History, well worth to Buy. This is probably the best sequel to any PC Game there ever was +10!
  71. Nov 12, 2012
    What i like the most about it its that it doesn't feel any linear, you get so into it that it really feels like it flows, i say it stays at the top even if it is almost 9 years old O.O holy crap! yes, its that good, that's the thing that hooks me the most, its pace, it really is a MASTERPIECE and you should definitively try if you haven't, get the orange box, one of the sweetest deals thatWhat i like the most about it its that it doesn't feel any linear, you get so into it that it really feels like it flows, i say it stays at the top even if it is almost 9 years old O.O holy crap! yes, its that good, that's the thing that hooks me the most, its pace, it really is a MASTERPIECE and you should definitively try if you haven't, get the orange box, one of the sweetest deals that you can have Expand
  72. Jan 16, 2013
    Half-Life 2 review

Story
  73. Mar 3, 2013
    This game is genius, the graphics and gameplay have stood the test of time and every single inch of the game has had massive attention paid to it. How anyone can say this is a bad game is under age of 16 or they have a terrible choice in games.
  74. Mar 24, 2014
    This is probably one of the best games I have ever played. Just amazing. Incredible story and playability. No critics to this game at all. A masterpiece.
  75. Dec 21, 2013
    Wow, was amazed. The first game I played was the first half life, and it was amazing, accept the old graphics. Half life 2 was even more amazing, the combination of the action and the puzzles were awesome, I have played many modern first person shooter games, but even if it's 10 years old, this is the best. And about the graphics, you can always play cinematic mod.
  76. Mar 6, 2014

Atmosphere 10
    Length 10

Half life 2 is Awesome
  77. Mar 31, 2014
    for a 2004 game, no wonder this game got high scores. very good graphics and gameplay. storyline, very good but half-life 1 is better i think. love alyx though, charming but why cant i carry her when shes down in episode 2? gordon is her to be partner right? no more to talk. this is a very good game. still play it alongside with other new crappy fps games (cods, farcrys, crysis, etc), nofor a 2004 game, no wonder this game got high scores. very good graphics and gameplay. storyline, very good but half-life 1 is better i think. love alyx though, charming but why cant i carry her when shes down in episode 2? gordon is her to be partner right? no more to talk. this is a very good game. still play it alongside with other new crappy fps games (cods, farcrys, crysis, etc), no offence though. however, it is the biggest shame of the century though that they dont continue the half life franchise ~i dunno if they do, still waiting :) come on valve, u guys are like albert einstein in the gaming world, dont stop developing E=mc2 formulas or we wont have any nuclear warheads. if you guys publish the long-waited continuance of half-life franchise, i swear ill buy the original copy of the game, no more jack sparrow dvds or torrents. take your time, but not your fans patience

*my rating here is for half life 2 and its episodes games including the orange box. good job valve!
  78. Apr 22, 2014
    There was something very incredible about the original Half-Life. It was ground breaking for its time because it was the first game I played that really felt alive. Half-Life 2 is a step back in some ways. While it continues the same classic formula of run and gun rail shooter, it however goes back in several areas.
    While it has more of a storyline than Half-Life, its just not very
    While it has more of a storyline than Half-Life, its just not very interesting. The combine are perhaps the most bland enemy I've ever seen, the key problem is they are unmemorable. Like a weaker version of the Strogg (from Quake).

While it has the best physics (which makes sense as you are Gordon Freeman, a theoretical physicist). The game took a nose dive into a completely different locale. The claustrophobia of underground research facility is gone, and some classic aliens don't make a come back (bullsquid/hound eye)... and Vortiguants are friendly -_-

The game also noticeably lacks difficulty, even on hard the game is perhaps the easiest I've ever played.
    Less explosive barrels - Half-Life 1 had a perfect balance. Every time I saw a barrel in Half-Life 2 I knew someone was going to either go near it or hide behind it. Less health kits, once again HL1 had a perfect balance.. here I always find 2-3 to many. Those unlimited ammo/grenade supply crates where so unnecessary.

The mediocre AI.. I want the AI to find ways to circle around me and trap me in corners, flush me out with grenades. The airboat portion in Half-Life 2 was dragged on far too long. In between each section you kill a few easy metro cops and then on you go... like some sort of tech demo.

+Gameplay is fun, and level design is logical
    +Ergonomically designed, so you can play the whole in one sitting
    +Characerisation
    +Very long
    +Ravenholm

-Easy game, even on Hard
    -Bland enemy design for the combine
    -Unmemorable music
    -Mediocre AI

-Physics puzzles brought FPS a interesting twist, but I thought that they really didn't do anything substantial to move the genre forward. Instead it feels like a technical achievement rather than the merging of FPS gameplay and physics in some meaningful way. Using the physics gun to launch objects at enemies is about as far as it goes in this regard. I think future games to come end up achieving something like this more so.

-Why does Gordon have to be a silent protagonist? I feel like it's more a crutch on the story.
  79. Sep 13, 2014
    Half Life is the birth of real FPS.
    If you were around when it came out, no matter how many years have passed, Half Life will always be top of your list in gaming masterpieces.
  80. Feb 25, 2015
    This is simply the best game ever made. 10 years after release, and no other game has surpassed it yet. The atmosphere, characters and Source engine were all, putting it mildly, revolutionary at the time. They all still hold up well today. Not to mention it CHANGED THE GAMING INDUSTRY, even more so than Half-Life 1 did. Think about it. Without HL2, Steam would probably be dead, in whichThis is simply the best game ever made. 10 years after release, and no other game has surpassed it yet. The atmosphere, characters and Source engine were all, putting it mildly, revolutionary at the time. They all still hold up well today. Not to mention it CHANGED THE GAMING INDUSTRY, even more so than Half-Life 1 did. Think about it. Without HL2, Steam would probably be dead, in which case thousands of indie games would've never been made, let alone gain as much popularity, forcing all those indie developers to stop making games. Without HL2, Valve probably wouldn't have made their other masterpieces (Portal, TF2, L4D, etc.) Without HL2, and its amazing mod support, we wouldn't have gotten the best modding community ever in gaming.
    There are too many good things to say about Half-Life 2, so I'll make a long review short:
    Buy it. Buy it now. Just make sure you play Half-Life 1 beforehand obviously.
  81. Nov 10, 2011
    Quite outdated now but back in its time,it was a fantastic fps,a thrilling story,great dialogue and easy to master gunplay.

It spawned a huge following and hopefully we will get a sequel sometime in the near future.
  82. OmarM.
    May 9, 2006
    Es un juego perfecto, con gráficas increobles, la única mala noticia es que es algo corto en comparación con hl uno, veremos que continua en la historia con hl episode 1.
  83. Jan 2, 2016
    To get things straight, Half-Life 2 more of a 9.9 out of 10 for me, just because of the amazing story, graphics, physics, characters, game play, etc... Quite ground breaking, so close to perfect. But one TEENY tiny problem I had with the game, and the series as a whole, is that it was just so grim, scary, creepy and depressing, that it created the sort of game that once you were doneTo get things straight, Half-Life 2 more of a 9.9 out of 10 for me, just because of the amazing story, graphics, physics, characters, game play, etc... Quite ground breaking, so close to perfect. But one TEENY tiny problem I had with the game, and the series as a whole, is that it was just so grim, scary, creepy and depressing, that it created the sort of game that once you were done playing it, you'd never want to go back and play it again... Ravenholm was so damn freaky, and all the environments was so bleak that you almost got the sense that you were stuck in a world that was no longer worth fighting for. Expand
  84. CraigS.
    May 9, 2005
    Took over an hour to install Steam and the Game even with broadband. Runs fine and looks amazing. Load times ruin immersion factor - these were a shock considering the pre-cached insta-loads from the original HL. Game play is almost too easy - on normal diffiuculy, I've died twice! AI not too challenging. While the game is entertaining, and the physicis are sweet, there is little in Took over an hour to install Steam and the Game even with broadband. Runs fine and looks amazing. Load times ruin immersion factor - these were a shock considering the pre-cached insta-loads from the original HL. Game play is almost too easy - on normal diffiuculy, I've died twice! AI not too challenging. While the game is entertaining, and the physicis are sweet, there is little in the gameplay that we haven't seen in NOLF or even thr original Halo. Gameplay and movement are very similar to the original - No real awe-inspiring moments, like the first time I left the ship in Unreal to see an open valley and waterfall, or the Normandy beach landing in MOA. This is a good game, but I think it's somewhat over-rated. I expected more after 7 years development. Expand
  85. AnthonyN.
    May 12, 2006
    Really good game!
  86. TravisM.
    Dec 11, 2006
    Amazing. Nice smooth graphics, but nothing shader-bulky like Doom III. Great engine to create modifications with. Only about eight huors of gameplay to the beginner, but the modifications such as Counter Strike Source that come with it and the many more avaliable online make it a must. The physics are very reactive and fun, as seen in the popular expantion Garry's Mod.
  87. Kevin
    Jan 2, 2007
    Somehow this game looks amazing and runs smoothly on a relatively slow computer. Comperable games won't even run on my system.
  88. TeodorIkonomov
    Jul 17, 2008
    The Best Game Ever
  89. LukeM.
    Dec 25, 2008
    Best Game Ever!!!!
  90. Tyler
    Jan 28, 2009
    Yo bitches.The Combines are all owning the humans on the earth. and then Gordon Freeman comes in like IMA USIN MAH CROWBAR!!! and he kils all the combine with it. and then they go to a prison, and the rebels get owned but he gets the black guy and hot chick out. then they have to fight through some city t oa giant tower in the middle. and then the STRYDERS come and hes all like IMA FIRIN Yo bitches.The Combines are all owning the humans on the earth. and then Gordon Freeman comes in like IMA USIN MAH CROWBAR!!! and he kils all the combine with it. and then they go to a prison, and the rebels get owned but he gets the black guy and hot chick out. then they have to fight through some city t oa giant tower in the middle. and then the STRYDERS come and hes all like IMA FIRIN MAH ROCKETS and he kills all of the Stryders. and he gets to the big tower and the old white guy captures him. but he escapes and this is the most coolest part. where the tower blows the hell up like ZapplE DapplE DooM!!!!!!! And thats it. Expand
  91. ChristianB
    May 26, 2009
    AWSOME game valves bet game yet i love how it jumps from walking on a bridge peacefully to having a whole bunch of cops and zombies after you. its the best game ever. out of growing plants and sims and all that junk. I give it a ten because who could beat hl2, name one game better exept other HL games.
  92. Oct 3, 2010
    .....................Still the only game in history (yet) worthy of a 10................................. Bravo Valve...................................
  93. Oct 8, 2010
    I've played through this game ten times by now. Every time I do, it's like the first time all over again. The gravity gun makes some of the greatest kills you can have (especially in Ravenholm.) Its graphics are still very impressive when compared to modern games (except Crysis.) Great story, better than solid gameplay, great graphics, and the coolest weapon ever created ever. If it wasI've played through this game ten times by now. Every time I do, it's like the first time all over again. The gravity gun makes some of the greatest kills you can have (especially in Ravenholm.) Its graphics are still very impressive when compared to modern games (except Crysis.) Great story, better than solid gameplay, great graphics, and the coolest weapon ever created ever. If it was possible, I would sleep with this game all day, every day. Expand
  94. Oct 9, 2010
    Think about your favorite FPS. Now look at this game. Half Life 2 is seriously, no joke, one of the best games ever created. The story is a masterpiece, showing you a world held hostage by the powerful Combine, an alien race who came to Earth after the events of the first game and all but enslaved us. Remember the physics of the first game? Half Life 2 has cranked those up to 11, withThink about your favorite FPS. Now look at this game. Half Life 2 is seriously, no joke, one of the best games ever created. The story is a masterpiece, showing you a world held hostage by the powerful Combine, an alien race who came to Earth after the events of the first game and all but enslaved us. Remember the physics of the first game? Half Life 2 has cranked those up to 11, with beautiful flames that will have you standing by fires and realistic crows that take off when you approach. And then there's the combat. Like the first game, it is executed perfectly, but I noticed that many of the guns are almost exactly the same. You get the standard pistol, the crowbar, the shotgun, the smg, the rpg, the grenades, and the crossbow. The only weapons that seemed new were the assault rifle and the gravity gun. Oh man, the gravity gun. I could write an entire review just about that, how you can pick up and push items, solve puzzles, etc. Throughout the game you'll visit a number of locales, from the Antlion-infested beaches to the city of Ravenholm, which is positively crawling with zombies. If you like to play video games, then you must play Half Life 2. Expand
  95. Oct 18, 2010
    Simply incredible. Half-Life 2 throws you out into action and never lets back. Graphics, physics and character animations are absolutely incredible for a game that was released in 2009.
    This game being released in 2004 just makes that even more unbelievable.
  96. Aug 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can still remember playing through the first Half-Life game and it's expanionpacks, so I bought this game without reading any reviews or such. It started good but to me it seemed that they took away the dark and gritty parts from the first game and replaced it with a much brigther version. Some of the Aliens will now actually help you and humans make up for the biggest part of enemies you'll encounter throughout the game. The graphics were good and the physics aswell, but it still didn't manage to replace the feeling one got when you played through the first one of the series. There is a story but it's weak and not very special, I actually had to play through it twice to even see that there was one. But what's also so great with Half-Life 2 is the modability and I've played the mods more than I've played the actual game itself. Expand
  97. May 22, 2012
    Perfect game for its time. I've played it many many many many many many many many times through. I still play it from time to time years later. No game like it. Deserves the top of the list and can't wait for the next one. Thanks for an amazing game valve.
  98. May 24, 2012
    Best game ever at time of release. It pushed the limits of creativity, story telling, engine, physics, action thrills, etc. Since then, a few games I have played have exceeded in one of those categories but not everyone.
  99. May 24, 2012
    Half-life 2 a true awesome and fun game especially the gravity gun, i don't know why people say i has bad graphics for today standards, Source engine it's one of the most optimized game engine, to all that people i want to say, you can play Half-Life 2 on almost every computer nowadays even with integrated graphics, but you cant play other games like crysis or any other game that requireHalf-life 2 a true awesome and fun game especially the gravity gun, i don't know why people say i has bad graphics for today standards, Source engine it's one of the most optimized game engine, to all that people i want to say, you can play Half-Life 2 on almost every computer nowadays even with integrated graphics, but you cant play other games like crysis or any other game that require more resources from your PC, for crysis you need a decent powerful PC but you dont need that much power to play Half-Life 2.
    I loved Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2 and episodes. If Valve don't want to release Episode 3 on 2012, well i guess they want to go slow but carefully.
  100. May 27, 2012
    The people who rate this negative are attention whores. They are either trying to garner attention to make a statement or they are losers who are impossible to please.

3. Playboy