9.2

1. Sep 12, 2014
    Half Life 2 is a stunning masterpiece. I played this game a long time ago on the orange box for the PS3. TBH it didn't stick back then. Years later I played the game on PC, after playing the first game, and I was shocked at how good it was.

First the game's physics is superb. It's a lot of fun to drop enemies and watch their death throes as you take them down. It's such a simple thing yet Valve does such an excellent job at it thanks to the physics of the game which few games out there will ever be able to come close to. That also brings me to the gravity gun. A weapon that will become your best friend upon receiving it. It can snatch and throw objects and can be used on the fly with a simple push of a button when using any other weapon making it a handy gun for breaking and moving obstacles or busting open the many supply crates in the game.

Now for the games story. The story is pretty straight forward. In the beginning of the game you show up at City 17, ruled over by Dr. Breen the former administrator to Black Mesa in the previous game. Dr. Breen is essentially a puppet for a transhuman race know as the Combine to ensure domination of the human race by the Combine who rule the human race with totalitarian brutality. The story's narrative is non-cinematic in nature yet it manages to tell the story with crisp clarity. Constant control over Freeman in each of the non-action story sequences deliver a great sense of immersion few games have.

In terms of gameplay the game does an excellent job at balancing great face-paced action and slower non-action sequences to give gamer a quick breather before pushing onwards in their epic journey. The gameplay sequences are also rather superb and varied. One moment you're on a dune buggy dodging antions, another you're trying to outrun and destroy a relentless chopper, in another sequence you're fighting zombies in a dark overrun town. The variety keeps the game unpredictable and fun, and with great gameplay freedom, along with a great arsenal of weapons, you bring down the house however you see fit.

The game moves at a great pace and its one of the few games that I'd play again just for the sheer experience of it. The superb narrative, graphics, gameplay freedom and physics make the game a true masterpiece that will stand proud among the best games the gaming industry has to offer. Few come close to the masterpiece that is Half Life 2. Long live Dr. Freeman!
  2. Oct 13, 2013
    One of my first games played od new computer (back to year 2009), and, after four years, still holds "the best" title. Even if graphic looks now a bit old, the rest of it is AMAZING. Psychics, dialogues, action, music (shame that it shows itself so rarely), storyline. If anyone haven't tried that game yet (are there still some people in this world, who have this?), then probably live inOne of my first games played od new computer (back to year 2009), and, after four years, still holds "the best" title. Even if graphic looks now a bit old, the rest of it is AMAZING. Psychics, dialogues, action, music (shame that it shows itself so rarely), storyline. If anyone haven't tried that game yet (are there still some people in this world, who have this?), then probably live in the middle of the jungle or still playing his/her old Amiga/ZX/C64. Best game ever, I could hardly imagine that any game will ever beat this one. Expand
  3. Oct 17, 2013
    Loved it, loved it, words can not describe the fun, challenging and compelling atmosphere of this. Although puzzles can be occasionally perplexing, they will be fun all the time. Gameplay is nothing spectacular but is enjoyable all the same. Great weapons, great story, etc... until you meet the AI. If you play the game right, the AI isn't a problem to be fair, but if you want to findLoved it, loved it, words can not describe the fun, challenging and compelling atmosphere of this. Although puzzles can be occasionally perplexing, they will be fun all the time. Gameplay is nothing spectacular but is enjoyable all the same. Great weapons, great story, etc... until you meet the AI. If you play the game right, the AI isn't a problem to be fair, but if you want to find glitches of it, you'll be satisfied. Weapons are fun, all unique and ultimately great. If you loved the first Half Life, you'll love this one. You can't expect a bad game, I mean c'mon we're talking about Valve here, but this shocks me with great characters, in depth story, and graphics that make other FPS games look up in envy since this was made in 2004 and has the graphical equivalent of today's games. You'll be challenged with HL2's enemies, scary, shocking and all fun to fight, and a weapon system that is just so amazing. It inspired a generation of FPS, and it's praise isn't going to stop. It coined so many catchphrases like "Pick up that can" or "Rise and shine, Dr Freeman" and also is the highlight of Valve. Gordon Freeman has no reason to be silent though. He has a backstory and everyone else talks, but you can forget this because you'll be emerged in too much fun to notice. BUY. Expand
  4. Oct 18, 2013
    Want to give 9.5 out of 10. I only have a problem with its weird controls at times (too many items with too few slots for them) and I'm not going to comment on the graphics given its age at the time of playing it. But in terms of gameplay, story, voice acting and atmosphere, this game is beastly. Unbeaten. While it's not my favorite game, it is certainly one of my favorites. There isn'tWant to give 9.5 out of 10. I only have a problem with its weird controls at times (too many items with too few slots for them) and I'm not going to comment on the graphics given its age at the time of playing it. But in terms of gameplay, story, voice acting and atmosphere, this game is beastly. Unbeaten. While it's not my favorite game, it is certainly one of my favorites. There isn't enough downsides to counter the plenitude of good qualities that make this game stand out. I can wait forever for HL3 Expand
  5. Oct 22, 2013
    Ok i'm not a very big Fps Fan but this THIS is one of my Favorite gammmes evver. Its good ok. Good music and Graphics, Great story and AMAZINGGGG Gameplay. Nuff said.
  6. Oct 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The second game in the Half Life series is also the best game in the series. The game starts off by pitting you in City 17 around 20 years after the first game. After watching and experiencing the main enemies (The Combine) harshness, you spend the rest of your time demolishing them with the gravity gun. Well made, well designed, an all round perfect game. Expand
  7. Oct 25, 2013
    This is one of my favourite games! Great story, awesome gameplay... It´s just awesome! If you haven´t played this yet, you have missed a lot! SCORE: 10/10!
  8. Oct 31, 2013
    I played a lots of game in my life. It begins in the second part of the eighty's. I felt sick after a playing this game for a few hours. My neck start to ake and I had a strange feeling that I got to throw up. Never before and never again in my long history of playing I didn't experience such a thing.
    It is a mystery to me. Why???
    But the game is just amazing. I couldn't finish it
    It is a mystery to me. Why???
    But the game is just amazing. I couldn't finish it because of those problems which I had. But if I could I surely would. Masterpiece.
  9. Nov 8, 2013
    Supernatural, I have no other adjective to rate this game, sensational story, great gameplay, one of the greatest inspirations in current games and father of great games like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress
  10. Nov 10, 2013
    If I could describe this game in one word, there would be no words to even begin to give a definition of this game, because it took every aspect of what a good game should be and sprinkled just enough of each to make it such a Masterpiece of games, but there was one downside... AI, Valve hasn't really grasped the good AI programming they need to give this game 100/100, Although; it won'tIf I could describe this game in one word, there would be no words to even begin to give a definition of this game, because it took every aspect of what a good game should be and sprinkled just enough of each to make it such a Masterpiece of games, but there was one downside... AI, Valve hasn't really grasped the good AI programming they need to give this game 100/100, Although; it won't effect my score since it was just so damn Great. Expand
  11. Oct 17, 2014
    I now understand why people want half life 3. If you haven't played this game you really need to because it goes on sale so much on steam and it usually comes with a bundle for episode 1, 2, and lost coast.
  12. Aug 8, 2014
    Yeah. This is a legend game. This game has amazing graphic for old game and very good story for role playing game. This game also has gravity gun, this gun is very helpful.
  13. Jul 25, 2014
    A brilliant game and an epic sequel to one of the best shooters of all time ,BUT I STILL CAN NOT BEAT THE GAME,each and every level is unique and cool.Some Players think it is one of the Most overrated game ever made,But to them i say this ,Call of duty is when of the most overrated game ever made.
  14. Sep 2, 2014
    Isn't it sad that this 10 year old game looks a lot better than most games that have came out in the past few months?
    Also-HL3 CONFIRMED
    Also-GORDON FREEMAN
  15. Sep 1, 2014
    This is the best game ever made. It combines a complex and deep story with a great gameplay and good mechanics, plus the incredible graphics for the time it was released. The soundtracks are awesome, and the characters are impresive.
  16. Sep 2, 2014
    A truly great FPS, the story, environment and level design, the music atmosphere and set pieces; they all work so well and it pays off greatly for what is one of the best games ever made.
  17. Jun 8, 2014
    This is my most favorite game ever, I just love it. It has an amazing gameplay, amazing story, I feel like I'm with them. I just love the feel of the desura-like civil control. Also, I recommend everyone to check out the Half-Life 2 beta content! Half-Life 2 beta (alpha) was incredible. The dark-evil like story, I just loved it. The industrial locations, this game has a deep background with it.
  18. Jun 19, 2014
    This game take you to a place you've never been before. One of the best game I've ever played, and i have played allot! Off course it's not 100% perfect, but not far from it. Just played through it today(2014). Still amazing! This game give you allot of different types of gameplay, and never gets boring, at least not for me. The story is also really good. Going back to other first-personThis game take you to a place you've never been before. One of the best game I've ever played, and i have played allot! Off course it's not 100% perfect, but not far from it. Just played through it today(2014). Still amazing! This game give you allot of different types of gameplay, and never gets boring, at least not for me. The story is also really good. Going back to other first-person shooter games after this is a bummer.
    Just play it, you'll know what i mean ;)
  19. Jun 21, 2014
    By far, the most amazing game I've ever played. The mix of intense FPS action and lateral thinking makes for one of the most fantastic video games to ever hit the shelves. Some of the most iconic video game locations in video game history spawned within Half Life 2. Such as the horrifying Ravenholm mission and the tranquil setting of Highway 17. The narrative sets the game out slowly andBy far, the most amazing game I've ever played. The mix of intense FPS action and lateral thinking makes for one of the most fantastic video games to ever hit the shelves. Some of the most iconic video game locations in video game history spawned within Half Life 2. Such as the horrifying Ravenholm mission and the tranquil setting of Highway 17. The narrative sets the game out slowly and drip feeds you information about the elusive... G-man. A must buy for all FPS fans. 10/10. Expand
  20. Jun 22, 2014
    While I can't fathom to place this game higher than its predecessor, it still is an excellent game. The plot is strenghtened, the gameplay expanded and the new source engine? A marvel.
    We simply took what was good in the first game and increased its potential. I have stated Half-Life as the ancestor of FPSs; this is his rightful son.
    We now wish to have a sequel, but to maintain such a
    We now wish to have a sequel, but to maintain such a level of quality, the VALVe team sure must be stressed out.

I'm still impatient to know what VALVe has up its sleeve for us.
  21. Sep 4, 2014
    This game takes me back to a time where graphics were just the surface of the game and the story was what mattered. The graphics quality may be outdated but it makes up for it from the indepth character design and voic acting.
  22. Jul 15, 2014
    Awesome game with some humor, action, and awesome gameplay. Valve has done a fantastic job with Half-Life 2. It is a game that you will be talking about for years to come. Buy this game and make yourself super freakin' happy.
  23. Jul 22, 2014
    The best shooter and the best game ever made. Valve is one of the best video game companys and all of there games are top notch. This and team fortress 2 are there best games.
  24. Aug 1, 2014
    this game, oh this game. half life 2 changed the whole fps(and gaming) industry. why? ill tell you- it introduced source, the best engine at its time and one of the best today. physix were amazing, and most games use the same physix system. level design was amazing, the only other lv design that was as good as this was half life 1 and bioshock 1. storytelling at its finest. it doesnt tellthis game, oh this game. half life 2 changed the whole fps(and gaming) industry. why? ill tell you- it introduced source, the best engine at its time and one of the best today. physix were amazing, and most games use the same physix system. level design was amazing, the only other lv design that was as good as this was half life 1 and bioshock 1. storytelling at its finest. it doesnt tell u everything, you have to piece it up together, and the story is quite awesome. the guns are great, and it just doesnt let u get bored. 10/10 Expand
  25. Aug 5, 2014
    This is one of the best games every made. The best looking game in 2004. Really deep story. Excellent physics. Many good games such as Portal, L4D, CS, TF and G-Mod is based on this game. i r8 it 8/8 :^)
  26. Aug 23, 2014
    Does this game need a review? Seriously; you don't even need to READ a review to play this wonderful game made back in that period where you still loved Half life. From early betas, to the current state, I still love this master piece that will be standing forever into the ashes of old and good games. This outstanding shooter will never bored from playing it over multiple times. After all,Does this game need a review? Seriously; you don't even need to READ a review to play this wonderful game made back in that period where you still loved Half life. From early betas, to the current state, I still love this master piece that will be standing forever into the ashes of old and good games. This outstanding shooter will never bored from playing it over multiple times. After all, where should I start?
    Characters are very well made, not that good graphics for that period but who needed them on that type of small monitors? The voice acting is one of the best and gives you the feeling that they're really there talking live to you! They have also a great plot into their own minds, body and flesh. Makes you wanna stick around and love them. Gordon Freeman, the main character, doesn't speak at all but that gives you the idea to think like him, for yourself, not him for you. The soundtrack should have the Pulitzer Prize for great performance and I still like the songs today. The story is one of the best one I ever met into a video game (FPS). The Half Life Trilogy is sent from 2000s all the way to 2030s. The Seven Hour War in 2012/2013, also having a great appetite for me in the idea of Half Life. Too bad they didn't release a game where you take part of it LIVE and seeing the world going to hell. Graphics aren't the best ones but for that time, they were rocking hard. The physics are GREAT and makes the game need-to-play. Facial animations are great even in beta where I noticed they looked like the same in the current game, but with no voice acting. The weapons are told to be human and Combine, some even Combineized. Adding extra attachments for their use of power.
    This game may have some little bugs over there and over here but it won't stop you from playing it as long you're not activating console cheats and exploiting the trigger on the maps! You may play the game again as you did read this review. Doesn't matter; it's all up to you, my friends.
  27. Sep 11, 2014
    This game by far is one of the best of all time. Its just that simple. The story line is one of the best by far, and the graphics engine (Source) still looks great TEN YEARS after the game has been released. The weapons are creative like the gravity gun, a tool that picks up and fires any object that can move, and launch it like a projectile, making a chair the most deadly object known toThis game by far is one of the best of all time. Its just that simple. The story line is one of the best by far, and the graphics engine (Source) still looks great TEN YEARS after the game has been released. The weapons are creative like the gravity gun, a tool that picks up and fires any object that can move, and launch it like a projectile, making a chair the most deadly object known to man. Buy this game, buy the entire series. They are all masterpieces. Expand
  28. Sep 12, 2014
    It's old, but not dead, I can replay it several times across a long time and it still entertains me more than other more modern games. Good job Valve, waiting for Half-Life 3.
  29. Sep 27, 2014
    The ultra responsive Source engine coupled with a great story and excellent graphics for its time. It's nothing short of a revolution. No wonder why it has universal acclaim.
  30. Oct 18, 2014
    It is a valve game what do you expect? tight graphics for its age (I thought it was made in 2012 they were so good) it also has a great physics engine which is still better than any physics engine made to this day. awesome story, awesome characters, awesome voice acting and awesome secrets. I just urge them to make half life3
  31. Sep 29, 2014
    Where to start half life is just an amazing ride, the game mechanics are near seamless along with a plot-line that not only keeps you guessing, but has love, anger, envy, revenge, dependence and ultimately you know your saving the planet. Loved it. Completed it. Played it again and again.

Graliv
  32. Oct 4, 2014
    Half-Life 2 is a definite 9 out of 10 for me, just because of the amazing story, physics, characters, game play, etc... But there was just one tiny flaw. it was just so grim, scary, creepy and depressing, that it created the sort of game that once you were done playing it, you'd never want to go back and play it again...
    You know, this is why HALO IS BETTER TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    (JK, don't
    You know, this is why HALO IS BETTER TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    (JK, don't freak out. Although, halo 2 is my favorite game of all time...)
  33. Oct 10, 2014
    I made an account just to review this game. Half-Life 2 is the only game in the world that I can regard as perfect. It is literally impeccable. I have played a lot of games, and it is very hard to put so many good titles behind me, but until you play this game you won't feel the atmosphere and world that it draws you into. You need to experience the game and fully complete it to realiseI made an account just to review this game. Half-Life 2 is the only game in the world that I can regard as perfect. It is literally impeccable. I have played a lot of games, and it is very hard to put so many good titles behind me, but until you play this game you won't feel the atmosphere and world that it draws you into. You need to experience the game and fully complete it to realise what a wonderful journey the Half-Life series really is. The graphics are phenomenal for a game that is now ten years old; still keeping up with modern titles to this day. The storytelling is perfect, in the literal sense of the word. The gameplay is flawless, the diversity of characters, both hostile and allied is superb. The puzzles, the chill-factor, and the thing that gets me the most, the absolute and complete absorption that you'll have playing this game is something like no other. You become Gordon Freeman, you live in the world of Half-Life which has been so magnificently created you believe every minute of its being and existence. It's this reality that consumes you, and it's marvelous, incredible story. I regard this game as perfect. Expand
  34. Oct 14, 2014
    im just want to play this game again, again, and again. cause this game is **** amazing in gameplay, graphics and in weapons!!! most i like in here is a Gravity gun!!! the best guns ever!!!!
  35. Tommy
    Jun 9, 2006
    Just the best first person shooter ever created! It got graphics, action, killing and a really good engine!! Worth every penny!
  36. MitchO.
    Aug 8, 2006
    This game roxorz my boxorz... to say the least. I thoroughly enjoyed playing this game and took breaks frequently to get food and beverage and say to myself, "This game is incredible." Can't wait to play Lost Coast and Episode One.
  37. EthanL.
    Sep 7, 2006
    Best FPS I have ever played without a doubt. No one pay attention to the poor reviews that involve people hating Steam. They say it requires such a high end pc, but mine is definately not that and I can run Steam with ease. I guess they must have aweful computers. The only downside is for gamers who don't have internet (which is about 1 out of 1242567 gamers) since you can only run Best FPS I have ever played without a doubt. No one pay attention to the poor reviews that involve people hating Steam. They say it requires such a high end pc, but mine is definately not that and I can run Steam with ease. I guess they must have aweful computers. The only downside is for gamers who don't have internet (which is about 1 out of 1242567 gamers) since you can only run Steam with internet. Some reviews also complain about bugs, and I have encountered absolutely no bugs that were so bad they ruined the experience, and again, my computer is still nothing special. The multilpayer is awesome with HL2: DM and Counter-Strike and the few mods that are out (and the endless list of mods yet to come). The story is actually quite good (if you can figure out the things that were left out) and the ending, although many might disagree, I think is good. Or at least decent. It ended pretty abrubtly which was disapointing but was made up for from a mysterious speech by the G-Man. The ending, for sure, also falls under the catagory of suspenseful. The somewhat dissapoiting ending is made up for in Half-life 2: Episode 1 though, which you must buy after beating this game. In the end this game is great for any FPS fan and the sequals will probably just get better. Expand
  38. TeodorIkonomov
    Jun 10, 2007
  39. BorisG.
    Aug 5, 2007
    Ok, I read all the people who voted zero and I have come to a conclusions. The main reasons people this game is horrible is A. They cant figure out how to install a simple program. B. They cant read the box and see that Internet Connection is required. C. They somehow think a FPS GTA such as Far Cry and a story driven FPS are two games that should be compared. D. They turn off automatic Ok, I read all the people who voted zero and I have come to a conclusions. The main reasons people this game is horrible is A. They cant figure out how to install a simple program. B. They cant read the box and see that Internet Connection is required. C. They somehow think a FPS GTA such as Far Cry and a story driven FPS are two games that should be compared. D. They turn off automatic updating and the complain about why there is bugs with stuttering. E. A popular game being liked is now its main cause for being horrid, if you like a game and its popular - then you're wrong. But if no one cares about an averagely rated and you somehow think its godly - well then you got the best game ever. Go ahead and read all the people who voted 0, there is no different reason as to what I already listed. I'm not including the unrealistic physics arguments because that is just an all around lie, and the AI? Heh, yeah I guess it is horrible that they throw grenades back at you? Last but not least, the people complaining about the story are just not trying hard enough. No - this isn't a pop out book where the story is all laid out for you, but is rather a puzzle where you have to actually look into it and find out stuff for yourself. The only reason I can think that it doesn't appeal to you is that you have no imagination at all. Expand
  40. BrianA.
    Feb 9, 2008
    This game was absolutely addicting. Wonderful game play, gripping story, lots of intense fun!
  41. MattiL.
    Jun 12, 2008
    Almost as good as the one and only.
  42. Menschke
    Jun 6, 2008
    Nice singleplayer game. So nice.
  43. AnonymousMC
    Jul 1, 2008
    This is a really awesome game! even after playing it a bunch of times there are still things that i havent seen.... if you rated it 0 just because of steam taking forever etc etc then your internet sucks = and people complaining about Gordon being a silent hero.... retards.... like saying its stupid that master chief never shows his face.
  44. IvanM.
    Jul 6, 2008
    This game good.No its not good..its amazing.For 2004 year its looking very good,good physics and revolution engine with good graph.What else need to enjoy best game of 2004?
  45. SamS
    Dec 8, 2009
    A pure technological advancement in both physics and AI. The story uses a drip feed system so don't expect answers from the plot straight away. Although getting a bit old now half life 2 can still give the latest games a run for their money. Suggest you buy this as part of the orange box and purchase the latest garrt's mod if you want more.
  46. BernhardF
    Aug 25, 2009
    I thought HL2 was a fantastic game, and that the water was especially impressive, although for some totally inexplicable reason they forgot to add any displacement physics, meaning that stuff put into the water mysteriously contains water even if its solid. I really enjoyed the Nova Prospekt level too. Ravenholm was tolerable, but after a while, the fun of beating headcrabs with a crowbar I thought HL2 was a fantastic game, and that the water was especially impressive, although for some totally inexplicable reason they forgot to add any displacement physics, meaning that stuff put into the water mysteriously contains water even if its solid. I really enjoyed the Nova Prospekt level too. Ravenholm was tolerable, but after a while, the fun of beating headcrabs with a crowbar kinda wears off. Four things missing from this game: 1) Displacement physics in the Source engine 2) A dual-wield weapon/item hold system- anyone else remember the chair-pistol wield from Return to Castle Wolfenstein? I liked that. Also, wielding 2 pistols in Route Kanal would be fun. 3) The sniper rifle. There is actually code for one there somewhere, honest, but its not a usable weapon as there are no models. 4) Flyable vehicles. Okay, so we have a boat level, a car level, a foot level... why not stick a chopper on the roof of that building by the citadel and fly through C17 strafing the striders? Finally, I have had no problems with Steam, in fact, I love it. It makes it so much easier to have a combined game browser (all my non-steam games have shortcuts there), and a chat feature which shows the game you are playing and if it is a multiplayer game, a join the server feature. Finally a reliable game organisation and multiplayer co-ordination system that works. And yes, I've tried most of them. GameSpy is adequate. GameShadow is a waste of space. HyperLobby is tolerable. But Steam? For me, it is great. No problems ever. Expand
  47. scottd
    Jan 1, 2010
    actual health and armour instead of regen health? check more then two weappons carried at a time? check old fasioned guns a blazeing action instead of cover and kiss your a$$ goodbye borefest? chec half-life to is real retro gamers paradise bringing back everything that older gamers loved about fps while keeping the story telling and graphics on par with more modern fps styles, it actual health and armour instead of regen health? check more then two weappons carried at a time? check old fasioned guns a blazeing action instead of cover and kiss your a$$ goodbye borefest? chec half-life to is real retro gamers paradise bringing back everything that older gamers loved about fps while keeping the story telling and graphics on par with more modern fps styles, it deserves it's criticle acclaim. Expand
  48. TravisG
    Jan 20, 2010
    Absolutely one of the most detailed game universes I ever had the privilege to exist in. The silent hero Gordon Freeman will live on forever in my mind.
  49. TomP
    Jan 9, 2010
    This is one of the BEST games I've ever played. It is in a very nice graphic, a great gameplay and is full of nice music perfect matching to the happening. The game is its money worth. I only can tell whoever think Half Life 2 sucks have never played it.
  50. KodyB
    Mar 16, 2010
    Why 10/10? I had heard hype about this game and bought it in the orange box. I was shocked to see that it is true, it lives up to everything. the graphics are arguably better than some titles released today, the game play is excellent, even though it is linear you will never get sick of walking off the train into city 17. Its a shame i got it 4 years too late.
  51. WillP.
    Jan 21, 2005
    The Ability of the user to affect almost everything around him, when mixed with the imaginative and stunning weaponry make for pure excellence. The in-game water effects are simply stellar.
  52. MichaelR.
    Jan 30, 2005
    This really is one of the finest games I've played in a while, and is amazing scalable. I can play it just fine at 1024x768 on a Radeon 9600SE.
  53. F.for
    Feb 28, 2005
    Wtf stop bitching here, everyone knows pros and cons, not everyone has money to buy all games and appreciate it, so they buy and play hype games like this and I can see many ppl enjoy HL2. I am one of them. There is no use bitching. Who knows how difficult to build an engine and create models with a limiting budget? How much can a game return? as much as blockbuster? HL2 sacrifice some ofWtf stop bitching here, everyone knows pros and cons, not everyone has money to buy all games and appreciate it, so they buy and play hype games like this and I can see many ppl enjoy HL2. I am one of them. There is no use bitching. Who knows how difficult to build an engine and create models with a limiting budget? How much can a game return? as much as blockbuster? HL2 sacrifice some of good features it had in HL1 for better graphic and physics engine. Anyway they managed to do meet its hype though there are many ways they can do it better. Halo 2 beat HL2 commercially, but if u look at what Halo 2 did after 3 years of making and Valve building their own engine from scratches in nearly 5-6 years, u can see clearly the passion behind the valve. Yup Steam sucks, it is mostly because they got hacked once. Expand
  54. J.Riekkinen
    Apr 8, 2005
    Truly a great game. The atmospere is stunning, voices and music are nice, storyline's fascinating, graphics are amazing and the physichs best ever seen, and they're used well to bring us some logical puzzles. But it has some flaws. The long loading pauses are bigger problem than you might think - they split the gaming into too small pieces. Also, though most weapons are great, Truly a great game. The atmospere is stunning, voices and music are nice, storyline's fascinating, graphics are amazing and the physichs best ever seen, and they're used well to bring us some logical puzzles. But it has some flaws. The long loading pauses are bigger problem than you might think - they split the gaming into too small pieces. Also, though most weapons are great, some, for example the Overwatch Pulse Rifle, aren't that good. Expand
  55. G.Miller
    May 10, 2005
    A response to Mr. Hideto, who claims this game is no good, and that all evaluators of this game are somehow stupid and/or mindless clones who cannot make up their own minds: your "intellectual" smugness is entirely annoying. Please don't preach to us about human nature: there is more human nature in Half-Life 2 than your entire diatribe. Your philosophy that "it doesn' t make A response to Mr. Hideto, who claims this game is no good, and that all evaluators of this game are somehow stupid and/or mindless clones who cannot make up their own minds: your "intellectual" smugness is entirely annoying. Please don't preach to us about human nature: there is more human nature in Half-Life 2 than your entire diatribe. Your philosophy that "it doesn' t make sense that everyone agrees on something, does it now," is entirely idiotic, for not everyone agrees. And I really doubt that game-playing critics must go to other magazines for their own scorings. Thank you for your dumb post. Oh, by the way, everyone else: buy the game. It is excellent. Expand
  56. Jonny
    Jul 2, 2005
    This game has great physics and everything. best game in the world!
  57. MayankB.
    Jul 27, 2005
    It's a great game and it has all the things a good game requires.
  58. DylanC.
    Aug 25, 2005
    This game would get a 10 from me, but for a few things. The ending is one of the worst I've seen in a game. It does nothing that endings are supposed to do (wrap the story up, answer an unanswered question or two, etc). The gameplay, while fun, is quite linear. If you're looking for something like Fallout (or even the GTA line), you won't find it here. The AI is pretty poor This game would get a 10 from me, but for a few things. The ending is one of the worst I've seen in a game. It does nothing that endings are supposed to do (wrap the story up, answer an unanswered question or two, etc). The gameplay, while fun, is quite linear. If you're looking for something like Fallout (or even the GTA line), you won't find it here. The AI is pretty poor as well. Friendlies will pretty much either follow you, or charge the enemy, which means they are either in your way, or dead. Having worked with the mapping software a bit, I can see the enemy AI is only decent if you have a fairly linear level (you know where the player is coming from), and you take plenty of time to set up "cover points" and such. If you don't specify where the NPCs can find cover, they pretty much operate on the same AI level as the friendly NPCs. As for the good parts, there are a good number. As I said, the gameplay, though linear, is very fun. There are a number of weapons that will fit most players' playing styles. The graphics are the peak of current generation games, along with great implementation. The game also works fine on a wide variety of systems. It will run decent on a 5 year old computer, yet can make full use of a new powerhouse computer. As a last note, one of the best parts of the Source (and previously the Half-life) engine is its modability. Through these mods, developers can create a single or multiplayer experience that fixes all the gripes I have about the game, besides the storyline. Overall, I would recommend this game as a "must-buy", as what the game doesn't have out of the box, others can do for it. Expand
  59. DavidK.
    Mar 30, 2006
    The most innovative, beautiful, immersive, fun, thought-provoking, useful, creative, and awesome game EVER. Graphics are as good as they get, and yet still seem to run playably on relatively old machines. The plot is very realistic, and you're much more involved with full facial animations. I felt that was something all games were missing. Not only do all the characters move with the The most innovative, beautiful, immersive, fun, thought-provoking, useful, creative, and awesome game EVER. Graphics are as good as they get, and yet still seem to run playably on relatively old machines. The plot is very realistic, and you're much more involved with full facial animations. I felt that was something all games were missing. Not only do all the characters move with the full range of emotions that almost makes the game like a movie, but you can make your own animations too! And I've seen some that kicked ass, no less. And physics...DON'T GET ME STARTED! Physics not only make all the gunshots and explosions so much cooler to watch, but it actually brings up a whole slew of new ways to attack enemies. An expert may look down at a new player and say "You just left that splintered piece of wood BEHIND???" Garry's Mod is a game in itself, with enough extra visuals and creative methods that bring the engine's physics to their full extent and back around again. Just go to facepunchstudios.com and see what wonders have been made. When I played Halo, I noticed something - you get lost a lot. A lot of rooms are similar, and I have never ever memorized any portion of a halo level. But Half-Life 2...take just about any screenshot of a level and even someone who only played the game once will look and say "Oh yeah! I remember that part!" Every little room has something in it that's memorable. As for the prequel, let's just say graphics is probably the smallest of the things they improved. Expand
  60. JohnS.
    Apr 6, 2006
    In my opinion FPS is the best genre, and in my opinion this is the best FPS, so in my opinion this must be the best game ever.
  61. SeanT.
    May 10, 2006
    This game rocks.
  62. EdwardMolyneux-Roberts
    May 6, 2006
    Half-Life 2 is awsome! Such detail, such a setting, such a storyline! The only games that could rival it are it's expansions and Half-Life 3 (when it arrives some time in the future, maybe 2012). I love the super gravity gun, the ultimate weapon, even though it arrives much later in the game.
  63. SamN.
    Wow.
  64. TeodorIkonomov
  65. PeterC.
    May 6, 2006
    This is one of the best games i ever have tried.
  66. YvesB
    May 6, 2006
    The best game ever created, you arent a true gamer if you havent played this game!!!
  67. BPsycho
    May 7, 2006
    Fantastic game! Played on hard the AI is not nearly as bad (There is a BIG difference between Normal and Hard). For those touting Far Cry's AI, a sniper shooting you from a mile away through jungle foliage is NOT good AI, and the soldiers were more twitchy than Quake 3 players - not to mention psychic. As far as steam goes, it's come a long way, and is one of the first -or only- Fantastic game! Played on hard the AI is not nearly as bad (There is a BIG difference between Normal and Hard). For those touting Far Cry's AI, a sniper shooting you from a mile away through jungle foliage is NOT good AI, and the soldiers were more twitchy than Quake 3 players - not to mention psychic. As far as steam goes, it's come a long way, and is one of the first -or only- online game distribution systems. At least it's not WON. Expand
  68. JamesM.
    May 7, 2006
    A sequal that lives up to the original, so much more depth, graphics better than anything I have seen, even a year and half after it's release it still looks better than 99% of all games out today. The traditional gameplay of the original half life is still here, some original weapons are still here and a few new ones thrown in which make the game a whole load of fun. the pace of the A sequal that lives up to the original, so much more depth, graphics better than anything I have seen, even a year and half after it's release it still looks better than 99% of all games out today. The traditional gameplay of the original half life is still here, some original weapons are still here and a few new ones thrown in which make the game a whole load of fun. the pace of the game moves fluidly and realisticly. This game is a pleasure to play, I think I might go fire it up right now! Expand
  69. ??????????????
    May 7, 2006
    ????? ??????? ????! ???????, ???? ????????? ???????? ????, ??? ???????? ??????, ?? ??? ?????????? ????????, ? ??????? ??????? ?????2 (!) ????? ??????? ? ??????... ????? ? ?????? ????????? ????? machinima, ??? g-man ???? ???????, ? ???? ???? ????? ?? ??????? - ??? ?????????? ????????... ??????? VALVE, ?? ??, ??? ??????? ???????????? ???? ????????? ? ?????? :) ??? ?? ??????????, ??? ? ????? ??????? ????! ???????, ???? ????????? ???????? ????, ??? ???????? ??????, ?? ??? ?????????? ????????, ? ??????? ??????? ?????2 (!) ????? ??????? ? ??????... ????? ? ?????? ????????? ????? machinima, ??? g-man ???? ???????, ? ???? ???? ????? ?? ??????? - ??? ?????????? ????????... ??????? VALVE, ?? ??, ??? ??????? ???????????? ???? ????????? ? ?????? :) ??? ?? ??????????, ??? ? ??????? ??????? ? ????????? ?????? ????, ?? ?????(????? ??? ????) ????? ???????????? ?????? ? ?????? ?? ??????, ? ????? ??? ??? - ????? ?????? ???? ????-????2 =) ????? ???? ?????????? ?????????? ????????????? ???????, ???????????? ?? ???? ????... Expand
  70. jeanbernard
    Exelent
  71. IlyaO
    May 7, 2006
    This game defines sequel. I love the plot, the characters, the graphics especially. Every single thing about this game I love. I want to give it a 100 out of 10.
  72. TimoS.
    Jun 11, 2006
    New level of fps playing. Story, the World, sounds, figures, etc: everything is in it's own class. I've been playing Valve's games since they have been available and never dissapointed. Still this is something much more than I could have ever expected or imagined even in my wildest dreams or hopes! This goes far beyond normal gaming experience: this is a journey, it is the New level of fps playing. Story, the World, sounds, figures, etc: everything is in it's own class. I've been playing Valve's games since they have been available and never dissapointed. Still this is something much more than I could have ever expected or imagined even in my wildest dreams or hopes! This goes far beyond normal gaming experience: this is a journey, it is the half-life. Expand
  73. JackHander
    Jun 11, 2006
    Maybe this is the best game ever. The story is so nice, like the gameplay too. Great game!
  74. SamJ.
  76. LukeM.
    Jun 2, 2006
  77. eXperionHL2.
    Jun 20, 2006
    I like this game very much, the AI could be better, but so far i just like it so much. and it was a bit annoying with steam, but smart thinking... But Doom 3 has the stuff in .pk4 files, but Half-Life 2 doesn't but the load time is alot faster. This game owns, its even playing in 2006 ! I am happy with that.
  78. StevenP.
    Jun 5, 2006
    how can you not give this game a ten? great graphics, gameplay, physics, voice overs, enemies, weapons, controlls, etc. half life is the best FPS series ever, and anyone who isnt buying it because of the price should know it is worth every penny!
  79. LukeM.
    Jul 10, 2006
  80. AnonymousMC
    Jul 21, 2006
    Steam aside (evil software), the actual game itself is insane. The facial details of the opening cutscene blew me away before I even fired a shot. The plot is brilliant and easily a worthy sucessor to HL1. My only concern is that HL3 will need the Pentagon's mainfraim to work.

If your computer is less than 1 year old, play it. If not, buy a new machine (levels can take weeks to load, but they are worth it).
  81. Paul
    Jul 21, 2006
    Not only does it have awesome graphics, and amazing visuals, but it continues to be a very playable game that puts you in many different types of scenarios and not one part of the game feels like a previous part.
  82. ArthurFreda
    Jul 5, 2006
    The graphix are out of this world. The only one ever bad thing is the long ass loading. But all in all the game is the SHIT! I love all the cool things u can do on it. Like along with it u get a sample of counter strike scource with u can play online with tonsof people. But the bottem line is if u like first person scince fiction games this is the one for u!!!
  83. DmitriyS.
    Jul 6, 2006
    Best of the games!!!
  84. AndreasK.
    Jul 7, 2006
    I've finished it tree times and it just doesnt ever get boring! This is the best fps game i hav EVER seen! Though i wish there was a sniper rifle too.
  85. GarrettD.
    Jul 7, 2006
    Holy Crap! Tihs game is great, completley smooth game play with 3.4 GHz Processor and 2 GB RAM. If you have this game I hate you! Episode 1 is just as good!
  86. RodigG.
    Aug 10, 2006
    Very good game. A little bit too short ^^ but very nice =)
  87. TeodorIkonomov
    Aug 22, 2006
  88. WillF.
    Aug 29, 2006
    Great, fun to play, intresting story line and amazing graphics.
  89. mattbearcroft
    Sep 30, 2006
    its awesome
  90. ChristofferL.
    Oct 12, 2007
    What I like with the game, you can play with the physics in the world. Because of HL2, other thirdpartysoftwares has created awesome games, like Gmod 9 and 10, Sourceforts and much other. This game also includes episode 1 and 2 to extend the games history. And the first time I played HL2 it really looks great when NPCs die. Ravenholm and the Citadel is my favorite part. But still there is What I like with the game, you can play with the physics in the world. Because of HL2, other thirdpartysoftwares has created awesome games, like Gmod 9 and 10, Sourceforts and much other. This game also includes episode 1 and 2 to extend the games history. And the first time I played HL2 it really looks great when NPCs die. Ravenholm and the Citadel is my favorite part. But still there is more of this game that scares me: The ocean. First time I would try to swim over to the end of the map I meet up with carnivorous leeches! I thought that I would hit an invisible wall instead. This is the best game ever made. But still there is many that hates this game because they mean there is more action on CS:S than HL2. I hope there will be a HL2EP3! :D Expand
  91. ChickenHorse
    Oct 24, 2007
    By far the best Sci-fi FPS I have played! Physics are amazing Graphics look amazing and very good story line!
  92. AndreasH.
    Oct 4, 2007
    bought orange box (first time of getting half life 2) about a fortnight ago and have to say even now in 2007 it is still a brillant game. It should still be in games top tens i hope episode 1 and 2 are just as good
  93. SHaneH.
    Oct 7, 2007
    HL2 3 years after purchasing still takes all for Fps Story and Fps Multiplayer mainly due to a rediculously high replay value!!! Bar None one of the best games of all time!!!!! Insaine Innovation Valve KEEP IT UP !!!!!!
  94. JeffC.
    Oct 7, 2007
    As with the original half-life, a giant leap forward, creating the benchmark against all contemporary games must measure themsleves. All praise to the team. Anxiously awaiting the mext chapter.
  95. AravindaP.
    Oct 8, 2007
    The best game I've ever seen! VALVE has done the best job ever to make this game come to life. The scripting is revolutionary. If only other games were like this...
  96. DenisN.
    Oct 9, 2007
    This is a greate game with super graphics and very interesting story line!!! Keep it up !!! Hope Episode Two would be as good as Half-lefe 2 or even better!!!
  97. LukeM.
    Feb 16, 2007
  98. AnonymousMC
    Mar 22, 2007
    Para my el hl2 es el mejor juego kon grafica espectacular asta es mejor kel finalfantasi XIII , es 100 veces mejor pok tiene muxa acion violencia etc... y Lord C es un pelele k no tiene ni idea de juegos del siglo 21. Si kereis mas in formacion my steam is COPEGI .
  99. R.Rodriguez
    Mar 22, 2007
    I wasn't disappointed playing this game. I used the easy level on the first go around and still it was difficult. Having the girl show up after I had gone through hell to finish a level and in the end was the biggest irritant. I did feel the game was a too short.
  100. PutinVladimir