Half-Life 2 PC

9.2

1. May 31, 2012
    An incredible and rare stroke of genius for the first person shooter genre. Featuring an incredible sense of isolation, perfected storytelling and pacing, wonderful and memorable characters, and exhilarating set piece moments that stay with you for years, Half Life 2 stands triumphant at the pinnacle of the genre as the perfected first person shooter.
  2. Jun 1, 2012
    The greatest FPS ever realesed: the storry is wholly engrossing, the gameplay is everything from frantic and exhilerating to quiet and terrifying. The only flaw I can give it is that it doesn't have the best graphics compared to modern games, but since it was released eight years ago, it actually has incredibly good graphics for its time.

Pretty much the perfect FPS, really can't think of

Pretty much the perfect FPS, really can't think of a better one.
  3. Jun 2, 2012
    I rarely see a game with such an engaging narrative and storyline. This is my all-time favourite FPS. Even after more than 8 years since its release, Half-Life 2 has everything an outstanding game has. The graphics are still awesome, the physics are realistic, the action is nearly unstoppable and it never gets monotonous. Every time I go through the levels I have an amazing dose of fun!I rarely see a game with such an engaging narrative and storyline. This is my all-time favourite FPS. Even after more than 8 years since its release, Half-Life 2 has everything an outstanding game has. The graphics are still awesome, the physics are realistic, the action is nearly unstoppable and it never gets monotonous. Every time I go through the levels I have an amazing dose of fun! Every aspect in this game seems to have been carefully thought in a way that the player will always feel engaged in the action packed shoot outs - the developers truly made a masterpiece. Expand
  4. Jul 3, 2012
    This is the greatest game of all time. period. When I first played it it reminded me of the magical feeling of when I first had sex, or when I first feel in love... its that **** good! And even years and years later, I decided to play it again,.. and I was pulled into it just like the first time; I played it all the way through, and completed episodes 1 and 2,.. and loved the wholeThis is the greatest game of all time. period. When I first played it it reminded me of the magical feeling of when I first had sex, or when I first feel in love... its that **** good! And even years and years later, I decided to play it again,.. and I was pulled into it just like the first time; I played it all the way through, and completed episodes 1 and 2,.. and loved the whole expierience just like the first time! FPS games that have consistant negative reveiws have only to look at what this game does. Do what this company does!, and listen to the gamers!.. its pretty simple what are demands are.. We want fun gameplay, We want a great story that makes sense. We want a great sound track and sound effects. We want good dialog!!!! (I cant count how many times I've played a game and heard the cheesiest voice acting or stupid ass dialog and wanted to throw the game out the window... This game should be the example of how voice acting and dialog should be. PERIOD. even though game developers know what we want... we still get Sh*t like max payne 3 and the new deus ex... I feel like the video game world is coming to an end and there is only one light left in the distance: VALVE @ Half-Life 3. Deliver us from **** games Valve,.. bring us Half-Life 3!!! Expand
  5. Jul 8, 2012
    There are some people who would argue that this is the best game of all time. I can't really argue with that. But it's up to everyone to decide if it's their favorite. I say, top 5
  6. Jul 11, 2012
    HOLY **** THIS IS MY FAVORITE GAME EVER not kidding, the graphics are not great but so what with the amazing story line and challenging puzzles half life 2 is up in my favorites in steam lets also talk about the hammer editor great editor too but yes there are always flaws (the game ) one is sometimes you commit suicide by alyx or barney bumping you the rocket is a bit under powered andHOLY **** THIS IS MY FAVORITE GAME EVER not kidding, the graphics are not great but so what with the amazing story line and challenging puzzles half life 2 is up in my favorites in steam lets also talk about the hammer editor great editor too but yes there are always flaws (the game ) one is sometimes you commit suicide by alyx or barney bumping you the rocket is a bit under powered and the poison zombies are a bit headless is what im thinking but except all of that best game ever ( not episode 1 or 2 they are great but not half life 2 great) Expand
  7. Jul 18, 2012
    All I can say is: Wow. Never in a game have I seen such unique storytelling, unique artstyle, and unique gameplay. The gameplay is excellent. The physics engine Source and the gravity gun are extremely fun to play with, the level design is spot on, the puzzles are consistent yet refreshing, the vehicle sections are a blast, and the shooting mechanics are solid. There wasn't a moment whereAll I can say is: Wow. Never in a game have I seen such unique storytelling, unique artstyle, and unique gameplay. The gameplay is excellent. The physics engine Source and the gravity gun are extremely fun to play with, the level design is spot on, the puzzles are consistent yet refreshing, the vehicle sections are a blast, and the shooting mechanics are solid. There wasn't a moment where things seemed repetitive or bland. The story, all viewed by speechless Gordon Freeman, the protagonist, is great. It is about Gordon Freeman's escape in City 17 where civilians are captured by the Combine (alien empire-type baddies) and areas are scattered with Headcrab zombies. He has a great female companion named Alex Vance who accompanies you in the adventure. Overall the story is brilliantly executed and is pretty damn awesome. There isn't any multiplayer, but this is a SP experience, and it is one of the best of its kind. Get this game as soon as you can (lol its been 8 years) because I kid you not it is one of the best FPS games you will ever come across. Expand
  8. Jul 20, 2012
    The best game ever made ? Seriously look at the gameplay, dialogs and other tips... This game is epic! The history is clever and easy to understand, and it offers a lot of happy hours in front of your screen. Graphicly, the source engine is very nice and can be changed by download some HD textures packs... So, i just want to thank Valve for this amazing work!!!
  9. Aug 16, 2012
    Incredible FPS Action game, out of the hundreds of single player games i have played this one really touched me in story, gameplay and graphical ways. This game is very good for anyone who enjoys playing fps, story or adventure games. You might think Half Life 2 is a little outdated but believe me it is still one of the best games I have played up to today. Playback on this game is reallyIncredible FPS Action game, out of the hundreds of single player games i have played this one really touched me in story, gameplay and graphical ways. This game is very good for anyone who enjoys playing fps, story or adventure games. You might think Half Life 2 is a little outdated but believe me it is still one of the best games I have played up to today. Playback on this game is really good too, I have played this game over 4 times now trying out different difficulty modes, getting achievements and exploring the fairly big world. You will find it very detailed and a regular play through will take an average person 14-20 hours. Half Life 2 is worth every penny and is a great addition to any gamer's library. Expand
  10. Aug 17, 2012
    With It's outstanding story, fancy graphics and a fast paced, fun gameplay, Half Life 2 easily is a masterpiece. Graphically/visually is so realistic that the game comes to life, because of the impressive Source Engine. And the long, enjoyable story is remarkable. From these words, this game is perfect. 100 out of 100
  11. Sep 25, 2012
    A brilliant game and an epic sequel to one of the best shooters of all time - making it also one of the best shooters of all time. I could elaborate more but instead I think I'll just say you REALLY have to play it if you haven't already and if you have played it you know it's the best!!
  12. Sep 29, 2012
    I don't think that this is the greatest PC game of all time, though that doesn't mean I hate it, I still think it's great. Everything about is great, the controls, story, voice acting, settings and game play. A must have.
  13. Oct 6, 2012
    The game is really fun. The graphics are nice, the gravity gun is very cool, the story is nicely told but generally quite a mess. It is a first-person shooter with nice dialogs (or rather monologs, you see, Gordon is obviously mutant), movement freedom and many physics. Nothing less, nothing more.
  14. Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing follow up to a great game. Amazing physics and graphics at the time as well as an enthralling story make this a must for any PC gamer looking for a quality SP experience.
  15. Nov 16, 2012
    How people can even dislike this? I will be short: "Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman." Half. Life. Two. One of the best game ever made. A perfect sequel, a perfect game.
  16. Nov 24, 2012
    I can't believe this game is 8 years old, even revisiting it after all this years it's still a blast.The fact it has held up this long is a tribute to how far ahead of the generic shooters out at the time that it was. The Half-Life series is an absolute joy.
  17. Nov 25, 2012
    Quite possibly the greatest FPS of all time. There is almost nothing in this game that is bad. I love how the game puts you in control of the character and never says "I'm gonna take away your power, a cutscene has appeared." There are no cutscenes. The level designs are detailed, the Source engine is fantastic, the main characters are memorable, the Headcrabs will make you nervous, andQuite possibly the greatest FPS of all time. There is almost nothing in this game that is bad. I love how the game puts you in control of the character and never says "I'm gonna take away your power, a cutscene has appeared." There are no cutscenes. The level designs are detailed, the Source engine is fantastic, the main characters are memorable, the Headcrabs will make you nervous, and the plotline will make you want to keep on going right to the very end. The only real problem? Valve, apparently, isn't very good at giving us information on a Half-life 3. If you get this game, expect a wait for the next one. And trust me, you'll really want another Half-life. Expand
  18. Dec 1, 2012
    This is the game of all games it is a FPS but is not really a FPS is more like a journey a road movie.... or road game into what was possible to make in 2004. It is to me the most beautiful game I have ever played or will play. The story line is TOP, game play is the best, Graphics is just a dream it is more like a vision of one man.

When I play half life 2 you are on a journey where u

When I play half life 2 you are on a journey where u discover is not so much of shooting you are in a journey. So next time try to play it as a discovery look, learn, and watch. No Mather how many times you play this game u will always find something new.
  19. Dec 13, 2012
    This is an excellent shooter with a good storyline, characters, and environment. The game starts out a bit slow, but it does a good job of pacing and building up to the big action. The physics in the game are fun and make for some interesting possibilities which were impressive when it was released. The episodes do a good job of building on the story and offering some improvements withoutThis is an excellent shooter with a good storyline, characters, and environment. The game starts out a bit slow, but it does a good job of pacing and building up to the big action. The physics in the game are fun and make for some interesting possibilities which were impressive when it was released. The episodes do a good job of building on the story and offering some improvements without changing what makes the game good. Personally I found it very refreshing to have a female character/sidekick with an actual personality and skills, rather than someone who was just there to be a tough dude with boobs. Expand
  20. Dec 15, 2012
    This game combines the genres of strategy and shooting. We focus on Gordon Freeman explains that although the alleged "deal" he made with Gman. Well in this game you have to solve puzzles while killing the soldiers of the alliance. Good story even better to Half life 1 and the best part is when you make your rebellion with civilians. If I win in VGA "game of the decade"
  21. Dec 17, 2012
    To today's standards, Half-Life 2 is just a regular game. When it came out, it was just amazing. It was the best example of physics, puzzle game play, and story telling. That's why it's rated way up there. It was a first, a specialty. But what about now, how does it hold up to modern games? The story-line. It holds by it's story-line. If you are going to play HL2 right now, focus on theTo today's standards, Half-Life 2 is just a regular game. When it came out, it was just amazing. It was the best example of physics, puzzle game play, and story telling. That's why it's rated way up there. It was a first, a specialty. But what about now, how does it hold up to modern games? The story-line. It holds by it's story-line. If you are going to play HL2 right now, focus on the story-line. It's very well directed. Expand
  22. Dec 19, 2012
    Half-Life 2 is probably my favourite game of all time. There's nothing else like it. By today's standards it may seem slightly cliche', but Half-Life 2 was the most ground-breaking game of the decade, it innovated and created the standards that newer games have since followed. I've played through it 5 times, each as enjoyable as the last. It's not just a game, it's a legacy. The sourceHalf-Life 2 is probably my favourite game of all time. There's nothing else like it. By today's standards it may seem slightly cliche', but Half-Life 2 was the most ground-breaking game of the decade, it innovated and created the standards that newer games have since followed. I've played through it 5 times, each as enjoyable as the last. It's not just a game, it's a legacy. The source engine has branched off in so many amazing new areas following Half-Life 2. The modding community is like no other. Really, I just love it and everything about it. Expand
  23. Jan 8, 2013
    Best game of the decade, hands down. The Source engine rivals most games today graphics wise, and yet it was released back in 2004, more than 8 years ago. Amazing. It's not just it's amazing engine, it's also the gameplay as well as the subtle story that makes this game what it is. Half-Life is probably the best known video game franchise ever, spawning loads of spin-offs and mods to makeBest game of the decade, hands down. The Source engine rivals most games today graphics wise, and yet it was released back in 2004, more than 8 years ago. Amazing. It's not just it's amazing engine, it's also the gameplay as well as the subtle story that makes this game what it is. Half-Life is probably the best known video game franchise ever, spawning loads of spin-offs and mods to make Valve loads of money. Expand
  24. Jan 8, 2013
    A game must be fun ,entertaining, have good visuals (not good graphics) and get your attention with the storyline. and Half-Life 2 is one of the most impressive games of all time, because it has all of this.
  25. Jan 9, 2013
    Best shooter ever, best computer game ever, best physics in games ever, best game ever, it is possible not to love science fiction, it is possible not to love shooters, but not to love this game it is impossible.
  26. Jan 10, 2013
    this is the best game i have ever played awesome graphics,awesome voice acting,awesome gameplay and story it is a must for you to play this game and you will addict to this game,best pc game ever made
    it really deserves 50 game of the year awards
  27. Feb 6, 2013
    One of the best games in gaming history and the best FPS game ever. Puzzles, shooting elements, characters, and of course, Valve quality.
  28. Feb 12, 2013
    Excelente game, Half-Life pode ser considerado o melhor jogo que já existiu Gabe Newel pode ser considerado uma das mentes mais brilhantes que existiu a prova que gráficos não significa qualidade!
  29. Feb 19, 2013
    It's like a science-fiction 007 movie set in a 1984-esque world. Your first playthrough will blow you away, so cherish it and kick the difficulty up to Expert.

Probably the best game ever made.
  30. Feb 20, 2013
    Half Life was pretty good. But it's far from Half Life 2. The campaign for Half Life 2 is easily one of, if not the, best I have ever played. The first time I played the game. I hated the first two chapters. But I have since grown to love the whole game. Even after beating the game, it is still great fun to play. The graphics, for 2004 were amazing, and the game still looks pretty goodHalf Life was pretty good. But it's far from Half Life 2. The campaign for Half Life 2 is easily one of, if not the, best I have ever played. The first time I played the game. I hated the first two chapters. But I have since grown to love the whole game. Even after beating the game, it is still great fun to play. The graphics, for 2004 were amazing, and the game still looks pretty good now. The puzzles are a tad repetitive sometimes, but the action and storyline make up for it. Another issue is the multiplayer. You have to pay for it seperately, although it is also great fun if you do Expand
  31. Mar 5, 2013
    Finished it a couple of months ago, it is definitely a classic. Fun and interesting setting. Gameplay and pace are really good Only shooters that can surpass it borrow a lot from it and came out years later.
  32. Mar 7, 2013
    This game is the best FPS I've ever seen. No, absolutely not exaggerating. Even if one does not fire the story of the game from start to finish, the action in place, beats the feeling satiated. Valve until it's going to be the best.
  33. Mar 16, 2013
    This is a darn near perfect game. A bit gruesome for my tastes but very well written and genuinely gripping. At times I find my self truly startled by the game. The combat mechanics are stellar. The puzzles take thought but are not overly difficult to figure out. The animated scenes that play the role of the "cut scene" are not true cut scenes as you stay 100% involved and able to actThis is a darn near perfect game. A bit gruesome for my tastes but very well written and genuinely gripping. At times I find my self truly startled by the game. The combat mechanics are stellar. The puzzles take thought but are not overly difficult to figure out. The animated scenes that play the role of the "cut scene" are not true cut scenes as you stay 100% involved and able to act as the NPCs talk to you and the story plays out. The only real downside is the lack of a voice for Gordon Freeman the silent protagonist AGAIN but that is pretty minor. The graphics turned up to max look incredible given the 2004 release date and run very smoothly. Check points are liberal enough to not have to curse yourself and replay something difficult if you blow it. Valve has an incredible IP and I only hope that eventually there will be a half-life 3. Expand
  34. Mar 17, 2013
    Half-Life is one of the best first-person shooter games out there! Even though it came out in 2004, its still GOOD! You can get on Steam for a few bucks. You can buy the entire Half-Life series on Steam just for 40 bucks, one new video game is 60 bucks. There it looks like you really got the entire series only buying the series with 40 bucks. But anyway the graphics of the game is good,Half-Life is one of the best first-person shooter games out there! Even though it came out in 2004, its still GOOD! You can get on Steam for a few bucks. You can buy the entire Half-Life series on Steam just for 40 bucks, one new video game is 60 bucks. There it looks like you really got the entire series only buying the series with 40 bucks. But anyway the graphics of the game is good, the story-line is interesting, but Ravenholm level is quite scary (for most people it is). GO ahead and download the free demo of Half Life 2 to try it out, the demo is on steam! Expand
  35. Mar 25, 2013
    The game of my childhood. I replayed this game many times and I will replay it many times again. I won't say much about Half-Life 2. I just say, that this is the masterpiece and one of the best games in gaming history and everybody know it.
  36. Mar 27, 2013
    Half-Life 2 is now freaking 9 years old, but still remains a hell of a classic. Back in the day it was released it featured revolutionary graphics, and even now they can keep up with most of the games.

But Half-Life series never was about the graphics. It was about new techniques, and new stories. new experiences. And Half-Life 2 truly took everything from it's predecessor and upgraded it in every way. Smooth and natural storytelling combined with an awesome FPS mechanics and the famous gravity gun give you almost the best experience a shooter can provide. And nowadays it's cheap as chips, so you can just but it and won't be disappointed for sure.

I'm giving Half-Life 2 9 out of 10. Why not 10? Unfortunately 2 days ago BioShock Infinite came out, and nothing can keep up with it. I seriously doubt it I will ever give 10/10 to any game out there after playing Infinite. Sorry fellas.
  37. Apr 4, 2013
    Half life 2 is the greatest game of all time, end of story. No game can compare with this. If you haven't played this game, you are missing out on life.
  38. Apr 7, 2013
    One of the best games I've ever played. Suspenseful and action packed with great atmosphere. One of the few games I've played through lots of times. The graphics too this day still look good, it was extremely scale-able on a variety of systems as well.
  39. May 3, 2013
    A sequel like you've never seen before.

Half-Life 2 is not only a sequel of a critical acclaimed video game, but is one of the best video games ever made. The plot takes place in the fictional City 17, where Gordon is woken up after his 20yrs long stasis, from original Half-Life, where he finds that the world has changed a lot in his absence, now the Earth being ruled by an unknown
    A sequel like you've never seen before.

The plot takes place in the fictional City 17, where Gordon is woken up after his 20yrs long stasis, from original Half-Life, where he finds that the world has changed a lot in his absence, now the Earth being ruled by an unknown alien race called Combine.

After the Seven Hour War, the humanity has been willingly enslaved so they will still live, rather than the whole world to be annihilated. However the player later discovers that combine suppression field will prevent them to re-product, so that the current generation is the last one.

When Gordon comes back, everybody knows him and what he has done, and practically considered a hero, and a legend.

During his journey, once again, this time Gordon doesn't fight for saving a facility, and the whole world, shortly becoming Combine's prime target, and in same time, the symbol of freedom for the Resistance.

During the plot, the player meets again the iconic characters, and antagonists from the original game, such as Eli Vance, Dr. Breen, but also the xenians that now are friends, headcrabs, zombies, and also several new characters like Alyx Vance, dr. Judith Mossman, who both later will become iconic characters of the sequel.

Half-Life 2, beyond the new friends, also features new enemies, such as Antlions, more zombie races, and others.

The gameplay is just flawless. As the first one, Half-Life 2 is a FPS, but, same, in which the player will need to solve puzzles to progress in the game, listen at splendid dialogues, and decent, mature and great conflicts.

The sequel has the same characteristics, is still linear, but with great replay value.

The level design is just astonishing, with detailed buildings, great lightning and water effects, physics, and many others.

Most of the weapons from the original game we're not kept, but many others we're introduces, such as the 9mm USP Pistol, SMG1 with it's grenade launcher, spas-12 shotgun, a re-created crossbow and RPG, a BugBait(also called Pheropod), an alien-ish AR2 Rifle, advanced grenades, and the 2 iconic weapons, the crowbar, and the Gravity Gun.

As an ,,bonus,, Half-Life 2 also features more usable vehicles, such as Airboats, and Buggies.

Beyond the game play mechanics, great level design, unbelievable story, was also introduced one of the best game's friendly and enemy AI, which are pushed to their limits and skills in both non-scripted events, but scripted as well.

Same with the physics, which are shown the same way the AI is, though regular, but scripted sequences as well.

After this, Half-Life 2 had a sort of chaotic development, like you've seen in E3 2002 gameplay and trailer, the game was totally different than the final product, as it's been set in a darker future. The original plot can be found in the Raising The Bar Book, which features concept arts, original design and others from Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, And Half-Life(both originals and the sequels).

The original plot also inspired many mods, most notable being Missing Information.

So, after all this, I guess you all have seen great/good/decent sequels, but there aren't many that not only live to the expectations, they even surpass them.

Half-Life 2 is a great shooter and is a must-own and play.
  40. Edd
    May 7, 2013
    This game will forever be one of the best Worked Games I ever played with Bioshock series and Team Fortress 2) I mean nobody shall forget this Splendid work of art (The graphics,The Storyline,The weapons,characters,sounds,effects...It's completely BEAUTIFUL Gordon Freeman Is here to save the world
  41. May 30, 2013
    Most of the people rating this game very low are either console jockeys or love games that play more like movies (press E a bunch now!). Half-life 1 and 2 dominated fps games for years and gave the world games like counter-strike and day of defeat. Games coming out now are quickly becoming unmoddable, a fact that should terrify all PC gamers. The story was engaging and the gameplay in bothMost of the people rating this game very low are either console jockeys or love games that play more like movies (press E a bunch now!). Half-life 1 and 2 dominated fps games for years and gave the world games like counter-strike and day of defeat. Games coming out now are quickly becoming unmoddable, a fact that should terrify all PC gamers. The story was engaging and the gameplay in both of them was challenging enough while remaining fun. While the game is not a 10 (I don't think there has ever been a perfect game) it is a classic and will be one of the few games people of this generation will pull out and try to replay when they are in their 50's-60's, hopefully steam still exists then....... Expand
  42. Jun 19, 2013
    A beautiful game, that is a very competent FPS and action game, but at the same time one of the most intelligent puzzle games ever created.
    This game does not guide you by hand. There will be no quest list, map or arrow pointing to your objective. You won't have an army behind you destroying everything in your way. But ut does not lack in action. It is one of the most intense games I ever played, it is not easy and it DOES NOT presume you want it to be. Valve presumes you are just as intelligent as they are and the entire game is based around it. Around the fact that you are smart enough to go trough a game without a guide and a army, that you can be emerged in an amazing universe and understand a complicated storyline, that you can understand your objective without it flashing in red and gold every 3 seconds, and that you can solve physics based puzzles, under pressure and enemy fire without any clues.
    Half Life 2 also brings a sense of open world, free to exploration, but even without a map or any guide you never get lost.
    Probably the best game ever created. A freaking masterpiece.
  43. Jun 23, 2013
    Half-Life 2 is one of the greatest games ever made. I have played it dozens of times and still enjoy it. The game has many different and great settings, varying enemies and weapons and great locations that are fun to explore. I strongly recommend this game to all who love FPS's
  44. Jun 29, 2013
    Best game ever. Amazing story, awesome graphics (for its time), real physics, and very good gameplay. For anyone who plays shooters, this game is a must. I just played this game last week, 9 years after its release. Let me tell you, it's true how they say a masterpiece never ages.
  45. Xon
    Jul 6, 2013
    This is by far for me the truest realisation of a videogame. The game features a terrible dystopian setting with hopeless inhabitants struggling against an unbeatable foe.
    One aspect of the game that I love the most is that you never "leave" the game. All discourse and interactions coccur in-game.
    As near perfect a game as I've ever seen. Some places might seem a bit empty, but hey, the human population has been decimated.
    All in all a great experince.
  46. Jul 8, 2013
    This game is the best FPS of all time. Even though the game was released in 2004, it still impresses mainly by its physical. The Gravity Gun is very fun, and the history was very well made.
  47. Jul 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I great game. Very enjoyable and original. The AI is amazing and the atmosphere is excellent. Satisfying and beautiful. I find a considerate amount of people criticizing it for bad AI and repetitive show how clueless they are failing to see the utter difference of each level. The ending was amazing. Valve made sure not to put too much weapons. One of each. One pistol, one revolver, one shotgun, one smg etc.....but made the weapons so satisfying and fun to use that you didn't want more. the physics make the game all the more realistic and the unbelievably original story made all the more better. One of the best, if not the best, fps ever. 100/10 that's how good it is Expand
  48. Jul 14, 2013
    I would give the game a 90 out of 100.

Pro´s: Gun play: (To achieve guns u have to get to some progress points in-game. Every new weapon is it totally worth it to play. The only bad thing here is that u have the full weapon set in the middle of the game.) The Gun play of the weapons is amazing. Never got such a good feeling with this. Story: The Story is ok. Nothing special. Levels:
    I would give the game a 90 out of 100.

Pro´s:
    Gun play: (To achieve guns u have to get to some progress points in-game.
    Story: The Story is ok. Nothing special.
    Levels: Well designed Level maps. I like the change between darker and brighter areas.

Contras:
    At some points its going to get frustrating for noobs like me. Especially at the end of the game. (chapter 11 and 12) chapter 1-10 and 13 are well balanced.
    Bugs: Sometimes the KI blocks your way and you die. Additional you stuck and can´t jump out at some points.

Overall this game is still worth to play it in 2013 and have a much better Solo mod than Battlefield and CoD.
  49. Jul 15, 2013
    Game is still fresh, and awesome and cross-platform.
    Best adventure game in which I played, the game is very specific.
    The story of a high standard.
  50. Aug 23, 2013
    How does this game have a lower metascore than GTA4? This game is almost perfect, except for some bad follower AI which is a non-issue and not even worth complaining about.
  51. Sep 16, 2013
    I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. This game is great, period. I would consider it art that should be preserved through the centuries. I'll remember this game when I'm an old man wandering around in my underwear inside a department store.
  52. Sep 17, 2013
    Amazing story, nice graphics fun to play. One of the best games ever made, maybe the best. Cant believe how someone can't like this game. But I'm just going to say BEST STORY EVER!
  53. Sep 17, 2013
    The game is almost perfect. The visuals are incredible, the storyline is immersive and the gameplay does not allow the player to get bored.
    The only reason for me to give it a ten is the quality of some textures and some slight problems with sound. The rest is indeed Perfect. 9/10
  54. Sep 17, 2013
    This is a story-driven FPS game with an excellent flow of enemies and weapons and situations, it never gets dull and they always spice up the environment or opposition fluidly as you progress. If there is one FPS game you buy to know what FPS games are like, get this one. Besides that, the game itself allows you access to it's enormous, imaginative and excellent modding community, youThis is a story-driven FPS game with an excellent flow of enemies and weapons and situations, it never gets dull and they always spice up the environment or opposition fluidly as you progress. If there is one FPS game you buy to know what FPS games are like, get this one. Besides that, the game itself allows you access to it's enormous, imaginative and excellent modding community, you can turn half life 2 into so many different games by downloading mods from modding websites that it can be argued that through a single purchase of half life 2 you in fact purchase access to hundreds of games, not all of them good, but a multitude of the mods are pure gold. And they each all have their own niche communities, so many different kinds of these groups that you'll be hard pressed to NOT find a group and mod that fits for you. Expand
  55. Sep 18, 2013
    The best game for me, for its original story, gameplay, duration, was the only game I played with my friends, not only was fun, it's more this game was the reason that shooters are not just shooting, ie telling a story that grabs you from the first minute of the game, a game exciting and burgeoning high quality. The masterpiece of gaming, a game I recommend to play.
  56. Sep 20, 2013
    This game has become the standard for modern shooters, and for a good reason. They did absolutely everything right. Of course, the AI and graphics are becoming a little dated, but all in all, this is one of the most memorable first-person shooters of all time.
  57. Sep 26, 2013
    The best Game I ever played! It offers cool Characters, very much Action, and a good humor! Gordon Freeman, the main actor, is also a very cool person. He´s my favorite Game Character.
  58. Oct 8, 2013
    unpredictable, long, satisfying a 10/10
    unpredictable, long, satisfying a 10/10
    ---- I agree that the formula been copied til hit exhaustion but no storyline delivered an experience like this and the tense atmosphere can be felt even when there's no music playing ,new enemies keep being introduced to the player til the end and the weapons are totally NOT OP so you will have to think of an strategy even if you have enough bullets to take out everyone because your HP will (almost aways) be on low
  59. Oct 13, 2013
    One of my first games played od new computer (back to year 2009), and, after four years, still holds "the best" title. Even if graphic looks now a bit old, the rest of it is AMAZING. Psychics, dialogues, action, music (shame that it shows itself so rarely), storyline. If anyone haven't tried that game yet (are there still some people in this world, who have this?), then probably live inOne of my first games played od new computer (back to year 2009), and, after four years, still holds "the best" title. Even if graphic looks now a bit old, the rest of it is AMAZING. Psychics, dialogues, action, music (shame that it shows itself so rarely), storyline. If anyone haven't tried that game yet (are there still some people in this world, who have this?), then probably live in the middle of the jungle or still playing his/her old Amiga/ZX/C64. Best game ever, I could hardly imagine that any game will ever beat this one. Expand
  60. Oct 17, 2013
    Loved it, loved it, words can not describe the fun, challenging and compelling atmosphere of this. Although puzzles can be occasionally perplexing, they will be fun all the time. Gameplay is nothing spectacular but is enjoyable all the same. Great weapons, great story, etc... until you meet the AI. If you play the game right, the AI isn't a problem to be fair, but if you want to findLoved it, loved it, words can not describe the fun, challenging and compelling atmosphere of this. Although puzzles can be occasionally perplexing, they will be fun all the time. Gameplay is nothing spectacular but is enjoyable all the same. Great weapons, great story, etc... until you meet the AI. If you play the game right, the AI isn't a problem to be fair, but if you want to find glitches of it, you'll be satisfied. Weapons are fun, all unique and ultimately great. If you loved the first Half Life, you'll love this one. You can't expect a bad game, I mean c'mon we're talking about Valve here, but this shocks me with great characters, in depth story, and graphics that make other FPS games look up in envy since this was made in 2004 and has the graphical equivalent of today's games. You'll be challenged with HL2's enemies, scary, shocking and all fun to fight, and a weapon system that is just so amazing. It inspired a generation of FPS, and it's praise isn't going to stop. It coined so many catchphrases like "Pick up that can" or "Rise and shine, Dr Freeman" and also is the highlight of Valve. Gordon Freeman has no reason to be silent though. He has a backstory and everyone else talks, but you can forget this because you'll be emerged in too much fun to notice. BUY. Expand
  61. Oct 18, 2013
    Want to give 9.5 out of 10. I only have a problem with its weird controls at times (too many items with too few slots for them) and I'm not going to comment on the graphics given its age at the time of playing it. But in terms of gameplay, story, voice acting and atmosphere, this game is beastly. Unbeaten. While it's not my favorite game, it is certainly one of my favorites. There isn'tWant to give 9.5 out of 10. I only have a problem with its weird controls at times (too many items with too few slots for them) and I'm not going to comment on the graphics given its age at the time of playing it. But in terms of gameplay, story, voice acting and atmosphere, this game is beastly. Unbeaten. While it's not my favorite game, it is certainly one of my favorites. There isn't enough downsides to counter the plenitude of good qualities that make this game stand out. I can wait forever for HL3 Expand
  62. Oct 22, 2013
    Ok i'm not a very big Fps Fan but this THIS is one of my Favorite gammmes evver. Its good ok. Good music and Graphics, Great story and AMAZINGGGG Gameplay. Nuff said.
  63. Oct 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The second game in the Half Life series is also the best game in the series. The game starts off by pitting you in City 17 around 20 years after the first game. After watching and experiencing the main enemies (The Combine) harshness, you spend the rest of your time demolishing them with the gravity gun. Well made, well designed, an all round perfect game. Expand
  64. Oct 25, 2013
    This is one of my favourite games! Great story, awesome gameplay... It´s just awesome! If you haven´t played this yet, you have missed a lot! SCORE: 10/10!
  65. Oct 31, 2013
    This is the only game that I've ever played that I would grant the honor of having a 10. I've played the campaign so often that I know every single trick, every single shortcut, every single hidden item, etcetera. Yet, it remains so intruiging and mindboggling as if it was the first time I started hl2.exe. The characters, settings, weapons and enemies are quite diverse but also feel soThis is the only game that I've ever played that I would grant the honor of having a 10. I've played the campaign so often that I know every single trick, every single shortcut, every single hidden item, etcetera. Yet, it remains so intruiging and mindboggling as if it was the first time I started hl2.exe. The characters, settings, weapons and enemies are quite diverse but also feel so perfectly connected throughout the game. Because of this I prefer it over the original Half Life, which did not differentiate as much between locations.

I hope we will hear about HL2:EP3/ HL3 soon. This is truly the only game I am looking forward to and I, unfortunately, cannot wait to end this epic series of games.
  66. Oct 31, 2013
    I played a lots of game in my life. It begins in the second part of the eighty's. I felt sick after a playing this game for a few hours. My neck start to ake and I had a strange feeling that I got to throw up. Never before and never again in my long history of playing I didn't experience such a thing.
    It is a mystery to me. Why???
    But the game is just amazing. I couldn't finish it
    It is a mystery to me. Why???
    But the game is just amazing. I couldn't finish it because of those problems which I had. But if I could I surely would. Masterpiece.
  67. Nov 1, 2013
    Half Life 2:Best Game Ever 10/10

DOTA2: -322/10 Give DIRETIDE
  68. Nov 3, 2013
    This is probaly the BEST first person shooter that i have ever played. I have played the whole half life serie, and i'm still amazing by how perfectly everything fits together. If you like shooters, YOU MUST PLAY THIS.
  69. Nov 3, 2013
    One word: AMAZING. Improving upon the original while keeping the atmosphere and feel of the game the same, albeit with upgraded visuals and effects of course. Love it. Definitely one of my favorites.
  70. Nov 6, 2013
    Once again Valve raised the bar for the shooter genre and created a blueprint that others would follow for years in its wake. Beautiful visuals that still hold up to this day, immersive and interactive storytelling, creative never-seen-before physics puzzles, and one of the most innovative weapons(Gravity Gun) ever created.
  71. Nov 6, 2013
    Great game, although I have to say. Playing it over and over again really digs into your skull that it's quite boring.
    (Sorry guys and gals. It's still good).
  72. Nov 8, 2013
    Supernatural, I have no other adjective to rate this game, sensational story, great gameplay, one of the greatest inspirations in current games and father of great games like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress
  73. Nov 10, 2013
    If I could describe this game in one word, there would be no words to even begin to give a definition of this game, because it took every aspect of what a good game should be and sprinkled just enough of each to make it such a Masterpiece of games, but there was one downside... AI, Valve hasn't really grasped the good AI programming they need to give this game 100/100, Although; it won'tIf I could describe this game in one word, there would be no words to even begin to give a definition of this game, because it took every aspect of what a good game should be and sprinkled just enough of each to make it such a Masterpiece of games, but there was one downside... AI, Valve hasn't really grasped the good AI programming they need to give this game 100/100, Although; it won't effect my score since it was just so damn Great. Expand
  74. Jun 8, 2014
    This is my most favorite game ever, I just love it. It has an amazing gameplay, amazing story, I feel like I'm with them. I just love the feel of the desura-like civil control. Also, I recommend everyone to check out the Half-Life 2 beta content! Half-Life 2 beta (alpha) was incredible. The dark-evil like story, I just loved it. The industrial locations, this game has a deep background with it.
  75. Jun 19, 2014
    This game take you to a place you've never been before. One of the best game I've ever played, and i have played allot! Off course it's not 100% perfect, but not far from it. Just played through it today(2014). Still amazing! This game give you allot of different types of gameplay, and never gets boring, at least not for me. The story is also really good. Going back to other first-personThis game take you to a place you've never been before. One of the best game I've ever played, and i have played allot! Off course it's not 100% perfect, but not far from it. Just played through it today(2014). Still amazing! This game give you allot of different types of gameplay, and never gets boring, at least not for me. The story is also really good. Going back to other first-person shooter games after this is a bummer.
    Just play it, you'll know what i mean ;)
  76. Jun 21, 2014
    By far, the most amazing game I've ever played. The mix of intense FPS action and lateral thinking makes for one of the most fantastic video games to ever hit the shelves. Some of the most iconic video game locations in video game history spawned within Half Life 2. Such as the horrifying Ravenholm mission and the tranquil setting of Highway 17. The narrative sets the game out slowly andBy far, the most amazing game I've ever played. The mix of intense FPS action and lateral thinking makes for one of the most fantastic video games to ever hit the shelves. Some of the most iconic video game locations in video game history spawned within Half Life 2. Such as the horrifying Ravenholm mission and the tranquil setting of Highway 17. The narrative sets the game out slowly and drip feeds you information about the elusive... G-man. A must buy for all FPS fans. 10/10. Expand
  77. Jun 22, 2014
    While I can't fathom to place this game higher than its predecessor, it still is an excellent game. The plot is strenghtened, the gameplay expanded and the new source engine? A marvel.
    We simply took what was good in the first game and increased its potential. I have stated Half-Life as the ancestor of FPSs; this is his rightful son.
    We now wish to have a sequel, but to maintain such a
    We now wish to have a sequel, but to maintain such a level of quality, the VALVe team sure must be stressed out.

I'm still impatient to know what VALVe has up its sleeve for us.
  78. Vas
    Jun 29, 2014
    This is pretty epic, really well done. A nice long story with plenty to do and isn't so easy that you can simply run through it. Really, there almost isn't any room for improvement in this. This game is just amazing, just get it, you won't regret it! I can't even figure out how there is a single bad review about it here. :P You simply can't hate it! That is like, successfully dividing by zero.
  79. Jul 1, 2014
    Half-Life 2 is an exhilarating game! The graphics(even though I could care less about graphics)still hold up. The water looks amazing in this game and so does everything else. This game also has one very scary chapter called "We don't go to Ravenholm." The areas are much bigger in this game compared to Half-Life. This time there are more puzzles, physics, vehicles, and a new weapon. ThereHalf-Life 2 is an exhilarating game! The graphics(even though I could care less about graphics)still hold up. The water looks amazing in this game and so does everything else. This game also has one very scary chapter called "We don't go to Ravenholm." The areas are much bigger in this game compared to Half-Life. This time there are more puzzles, physics, vehicles, and a new weapon. There is sadly no gluon gun but there is a new weapon called the gravity gun. Don't worry though the tau cannon is back. Like the original, it feels like one big map instead of individual levels thanks to no cutscenes. Half-Life 2 is incredible. Expand
  80. Jul 15, 2014
    Awesome game with some humor, action, and awesome gameplay. Valve has done a fantastic job with Half-Life 2. It is a game that you will be talking about for years to come. Buy this game and make yourself super freakin' happy.
  81. Jul 25, 2014
    A brilliant game and an epic sequel to one of the best shooters of all time ,BUT I STILL CAN NOT BEAT THE GAME,each and every level is unique and cool.Some Players think it is one of the Most overrated game ever made,But to them i say this ,Call of duty is when of the most overrated game ever made.
  82. Aug 1, 2014
    this game, oh this game. half life 2 changed the whole fps(and gaming) industry. why? ill tell you- it introduced source, the best engine at its time and one of the best today. physix were amazing, and most games use the same physix system. level design was amazing, the only other lv design that was as good as this was half life 1 and bioshock 1. storytelling at its finest. it doesnt tellthis game, oh this game. half life 2 changed the whole fps(and gaming) industry. why? ill tell you- it introduced source, the best engine at its time and one of the best today. physix were amazing, and most games use the same physix system. level design was amazing, the only other lv design that was as good as this was half life 1 and bioshock 1. storytelling at its finest. it doesnt tell u everything, you have to piece it up together, and the story is quite awesome. the guns are great, and it just doesnt let u get bored. 10/10 Expand
  83. Aug 5, 2014
    This is one of the best games every made. The best looking game in 2004. Really deep story. Excellent physics. Many good games such as Portal, L4D, CS, TF and G-Mod is based on this game. i r8 it 8/8 :^)
  84. Aug 8, 2014
    Yeah. This is a legend game. This game has amazing graphic for old game and very good story for role playing game. This game also has gravity gun, this gun is very helpful.
  85. Aug 23, 2014
    Does this game need a review? Seriously; you don't even need to READ a review to play this wonderful game made back in that period where you still loved Half life. From early betas, to the current state, I still love this master piece that will be standing forever into the ashes of old and good games. This outstanding shooter will never bored from playing it over multiple times. After all,Does this game need a review? Seriously; you don't even need to READ a review to play this wonderful game made back in that period where you still loved Half life. From early betas, to the current state, I still love this master piece that will be standing forever into the ashes of old and good games. This outstanding shooter will never bored from playing it over multiple times. After all, where should I start?
    Characters are very well made, not that good graphics for that period but who needed them on that type of small monitors? The voice acting is one of the best and gives you the feeling that they're really there talking live to you! They have also a great plot into their own minds, body and flesh. Makes you wanna stick around and love them. Gordon Freeman, the main character, doesn't speak at all but that gives you the idea to think like him, for yourself, not him for you. The soundtrack should have the Pulitzer Prize for great performance and I still like the songs today. The story is one of the best one I ever met into a video game (FPS). The Half Life Trilogy is sent from 2000s all the way to 2030s. The Seven Hour War in 2012/2013, also having a great appetite for me in the idea of Half Life. Too bad they didn't release a game where you take part of it LIVE and seeing the world going to hell. Graphics aren't the best ones but for that time, they were rocking hard. The physics are GREAT and makes the game need-to-play. Facial animations are great even in beta where I noticed they looked like the same in the current game, but with no voice acting. The weapons are told to be human and Combine, some even Combineized. Adding extra attachments for their use of power.
    This game may have some little bugs over there and over here but it won't stop you from playing it as long you're not activating console cheats and exploiting the trigger on the maps! You may play the game again as you did read this review. Doesn't matter; it's all up to you, my friends.
  86. Aug 29, 2014
    This game is unbelievably awesome. This is a must play for anybody who enjoys first person shooters. The graphics is a tad aged but still very satisfying with everything maxed at 1920x1080 144 FPS. It's fast paced, it has an awesome story taking place in a futuristic universe. Best of all, you can play it on Linux!
  87. Sep 1, 2014
    This is the best game ever made. It combines a complex and deep story with a great gameplay and good mechanics, plus the incredible graphics for the time it was released. The soundtracks are awesome, and the characters are impresive.
  88. Sep 2, 2014
    Isn't it sad that this 10 year old game looks a lot better than most games that have came out in the past few months?
    Also-HL3 CONFIRMED
    Also-GORDON FREEMAN
  89. Sep 2, 2014
    A truly great FPS, the story, environment and level design, the music atmosphere and set pieces; they all work so well and it pays off greatly for what is one of the best games ever made.
  90. Sep 4, 2014
    This game takes me back to a time where graphics were just the surface of the game and the story was what mattered. The graphics quality may be outdated but it makes up for it from the indepth character design and voic acting.
  91. Sep 11, 2014
    This game by far is one of the best of all time. Its just that simple. The story line is one of the best by far, and the graphics engine (Source) still looks great TEN YEARS after the game has been released. The weapons are creative like the gravity gun, a tool that picks up and fires any object that can move, and launch it like a projectile, making a chair the most deadly object known toThis game by far is one of the best of all time. Its just that simple. The story line is one of the best by far, and the graphics engine (Source) still looks great TEN YEARS after the game has been released. The weapons are creative like the gravity gun, a tool that picks up and fires any object that can move, and launch it like a projectile, making a chair the most deadly object known to man. Buy this game, buy the entire series. They are all masterpieces. Expand
  92. Sep 12, 2014
    It's old, but not dead, I can replay it several times across a long time and it still entertains me more than other more modern games. Good job Valve, waiting for Half-Life 3.
  93. Sep 12, 2014
    Half Life 2 is a stunning masterpiece. I played this game a long time ago on the orange box for the PS3. TBH it didn't stick back then. Years later I played the game on PC, after playing the first game, and I was shocked at how good it was.

First the game's physics is superb. It's a lot of fun to drop enemies and watch their death throes as you take them down. It's such a simple thing yet Valve does such an excellent job at it thanks to the physics of the game which few games out there will ever be able to come close to. That also brings me to the gravity gun. A weapon that will become your best friend upon receiving it. It can snatch and throw objects and can be used on the fly with a simple push of a button when using any other weapon making it a handy gun for breaking and moving obstacles or busting open the many supply crates in the game.

Now for the games story. The story is pretty straight forward. In the beginning of the game you show up at City 17, ruled over by Dr. Breen the former administrator to Black Mesa in the previous game. Dr. Breen is essentially a puppet for a transhuman race know as the Combine to ensure domination of the human race by the Combine who rule the human race with totalitarian brutality. The story's narrative is non-cinematic in nature yet it manages to tell the story with crisp clarity. Constant control over Freeman in each of the non-action story sequences deliver a great sense of immersion few games have.

In terms of gameplay the game does an excellent job at balancing great face-paced action and slower non-action sequences to give gamer a quick breather before pushing onwards in their epic journey. The gameplay sequences are also rather superb and varied. One moment you're on a dune buggy dodging antions, another you're trying to outrun and destroy a relentless chopper, in another sequence you're fighting zombies in a dark overrun town. The variety keeps the game unpredictable and fun, and with great gameplay freedom, along with a great arsenal of weapons, you bring down the house however you see fit.

The game moves at a great pace and its one of the few games that I'd play again just for the sheer experience of it. The superb narrative, graphics, gameplay freedom and physics make the game a true masterpiece that will stand proud among the best games the gaming industry has to offer. Few come close to the masterpiece that is Half Life 2. Long live Dr. Freeman!
  94. Sep 27, 2014
    The ultra responsive Source engine coupled with a great story and excellent graphics for its time. It's nothing short of a revolution. No wonder why it has universal acclaim.
  95. Sep 29, 2014
    Where to start half life is just an amazing ride, the game mechanics are near seamless along with a plot-line that not only keeps you guessing, but has love, anger, envy, revenge, dependence and ultimately you know your saving the planet. Loved it. Completed it. Played it again and again.

Graliv
  96. Oct 3, 2014
    I didn't play this game until 2012 and it's my favourite shooter to date, probably the only shooter/FPS that I've played over and over again after I've finished. Perfect pacing, graphics that still hold up pretty well, great story that unfolds before your eyes and excellent gunplay. Love it.
  97. Oct 9, 2014
    Let me just open the review by saying this is my favorite game of all time. I only finished the game last year, but it still blew me away (even though it was 9 years old!). The story is excellent, and blew me away. The game play mechanics are excellent, and the only critical thing I thing I can say about the game is that it got a bit slow on a few chapters (I'm looking at you RouteLet me just open the review by saying this is my favorite game of all time. I only finished the game last year, but it still blew me away (even though it was 9 years old!). The story is excellent, and blew me away. The game play mechanics are excellent, and the only critical thing I thing I can say about the game is that it got a bit slow on a few chapters (I'm looking at you Route Canal). All in All, its the most perfect a game can really get. Play it if you haven't already! Expand
  98. Oct 10, 2014
    I made an account just to review this game. Half-Life 2 is the only game in the world that I can regard as perfect. It is literally impeccable. I have played a lot of games, and it is very hard to put so many good titles behind me, but until you play this game you won't feel the atmosphere and world that it draws you into. You need to experience the game and fully complete it to realiseI made an account just to review this game. Half-Life 2 is the only game in the world that I can regard as perfect. It is literally impeccable. I have played a lot of games, and it is very hard to put so many good titles behind me, but until you play this game you won't feel the atmosphere and world that it draws you into. You need to experience the game and fully complete it to realise what a wonderful journey the Half-Life series really is. The graphics are phenomenal for a game that is now ten years old; still keeping up with modern titles to this day. The storytelling is perfect, in the literal sense of the word. The gameplay is flawless, the diversity of characters, both hostile and allied is superb. The puzzles, the chill-factor, and the thing that gets me the most, the absolute and complete absorption that you'll have playing this game is something like no other. You become Gordon Freeman, you live in the world of Half-Life which has been so magnificently created you believe every minute of its being and existence. It's this reality that consumes you, and it's marvelous, incredible story. I regard this game as perfect. Expand
  99. Oct 14, 2014
    im just want to play this game again, again, and again. cause this game is **** amazing in gameplay, graphics and in weapons!!! most i like in here is a Gravity gun!!! the best guns ever!!!!
  100. Oct 17, 2014
    I now understand why people want half life 3. If you haven't played this game you really need to because it goes on sale so much on steam and it usually comes with a bundle for episode 1, 2, and lost coast.

3. Playboy