9.2

1. May 18, 2012
    If you didn't like this game, well, you are likely not playing any games now. Gameplay was fun, story was fine, and it brings back good memories. .
  2. Dec 25, 2013
    Half-Life 2......it doesn't do a whole lot differently than other games in the shooter genre in terms of pure gameplay innovation, but it takes existing styles, then mixes, matches and makes them better. Another triumph.
  3. Mar 22, 2013
    A first-person shooter with incredible storytelling, a groundbreaking technical achievement, plenty of atmosphere and intensity. Nothing less than revolutionary.
  4. Aug 24, 2013
    What can be said that hasn't been said already? I'm just going to recommend that anybody who enjoys first person shooters to play this game by saying this. 'It is legendary for a reason. You will not be disappointed.'
  5. Jan 9, 2013
    It's 3 games in one really, It's an FPS with Puzzles and mild horror.
    The shooting and gun feedback is top notch and enemy AI, especially on harder difficulties, is challenging. forcing the player to take on enemies with strategy rather than waiting behind conveniently placed shoulder high walls while your health regenerates.
    The puzzles are perfectly timed to break up the action, so you
    It's 3 games in one really, It's an FPS with Puzzles and mild horror.
    The puzzles are perfectly timed to break up the action, so you aren't just shooting things until it gets boring. The addition of the gravity gun later into the game really adds depth and weight to the gameplay as you find yourself clearing hallways of debris and quickly switching to your crowbar to kill head crabs in the places you discover doing so.
    There are a few annoyances though. First off Squad AI is not broken, but annoying. An example being that Team mates often block doorways or trap you in a corner. Whoever's idea it was to combine flash light, Sprint and oxygen into one bar needs shooting, It means you can't sprint with the light on, or even use a light while holding your breath under water.
  6. Mar 20, 2013
    I really don't care what anybody says. This is my favorite game of all time. Thanks for a wonderful experience.
  7. Apr 23, 2013
    You know, we're in 2013 and i still play Half-Life² and this is one of many assets that the game has. Every Valve's FPS have the rights to pretend being the best, because they are! Fluid but accurate, fast but sometimes we stop our rush to think at some enigma... The development system of Half-Life² allowed us to throw everything we can see throughout the story, to have an optimized game,You know, we're in 2013 and i still play Half-Life² and this is one of many assets that the game has. Every Valve's FPS have the rights to pretend being the best, because they are! Fluid but accurate, fast but sometimes we stop our rush to think at some enigma... The development system of Half-Life² allowed us to throw everything we can see throughout the story, to have an optimized game, to have beautiful textures and models for a 2004 olden and to make our own maps! And that's awesome too! We can talk about how mythical Gordon Freeman and all his environment is. Valve always had the idea to let the player think about what happens next this is another asset )
    To me, Half-Life² and all the range "Half-Life" deserve to have a place in the perfection.
  8. Apr 20, 2013
    Its actually one of the best games I've ever played. The game has an astonishingly good story line and its really fun to play whatsoever. Its one of the really few games that is enjoyable to complete over and over again as well as completing steam achievements. 7 Euros for my favorite game and it can get you more than 15 hours of game-play if you want to feel the game at its finest besidesIts actually one of the best games I've ever played. The game has an astonishingly good story line and its really fun to play whatsoever. Its one of the really few games that is enjoyable to complete over and over again as well as completing steam achievements. 7 Euros for my favorite game and it can get you more than 15 hours of game-play if you want to feel the game at its finest besides having a wide variety of mods for the game since source engine is highly compatible with mods. Having the source engine on this game really helps it to grow, source engine is really one of the most famous engines in the gaming world if not the number one. Really, go buy that game already! Expand
  9. Apr 4, 2015
    Yo GUILHEREME ESTAS A LER ISTO THIS GAME IS ALRUGTH I like it so you now let's not say stuff about games you know just saying I'm gonna delete this cause I don't want to be banned.
  10. Apr 26, 2013
    The game was the best game of 2004. I even play this game now in 2013. The game runs surprisingly smooth on low end pc. The enemy AI doesn't let you just kill him. The friendly AI is just as good. The graphics are just beatifull. Once you reach the chapter ''Highway 17'' where the beach is, you will know what i meant with beatifull.
  11. Apr 27, 2013
    When you start to get the idea, it's a pretty easy game. But the sheer amount of adventure you're sent off on in even the first three chapters makes playing Half Life 2 worth it.
  12. May 1, 2013
    Yet another great Half-life game! Not as scary as the first one but it is still fun to play, with lots of actions, twists and characters that you get involved with. No doubt that this game will keep you entertained. Healthy variety of weapons with a great stories and well developed story, I recommend this to anyone!
  13. sft
    May 22, 2013
    All hail the crowbar!

All hail the crowbar!

This is the game that got me hooked on shooters. In that respect I guess it has a lot to answer for! And, along with Episodes 1 and 2, it remains my favourite to this day. Valve have taken their 1998 classic Half-Life and improved on it in every conceivable way. Much improved graphics, much improved physics, much improved AI, and much improved weapons, most notably the wondrous gravity gun. Once again it mixes a wide variety of spectacular environments with some satisfying puzzles and some fantastic combat. It also develops the story started in the original and fleshes it out nicely. Another important gain is the introduction of Alyx and her father Ely. Alyx will be a welcome companion and will, periodically, fight by your side. This is a big factor in HL2 the introduction of team play. You will have small bands of resistance fighters with you sporadically during play in the single player mode and this adds a team element which greatly increases immersion and the sense that what you do matters. I could bang on about this game for ever and a day, but just let me say this: play it you won’t regret it.
  14. Jul 17, 2013
    Despite the slightly repetitive chapters of Water Hazard and Highway 7, Half Life 2 has followed on from its predecessor and is honestly one of the greatest games I have EVER played. Very fancy graphics, more than an hour of timed dialogue and sound, awesome storyline and gameplay that will keep you on the edge of your seat for hours on end. I recommend this game to anyone because it isDespite the slightly repetitive chapters of Water Hazard and Highway 7, Half Life 2 has followed on from its predecessor and is honestly one of the greatest games I have EVER played. Very fancy graphics, more than an hour of timed dialogue and sound, awesome storyline and gameplay that will keep you on the edge of your seat for hours on end. I recommend this game to anyone because it is a benchmark in modern First Person Shooters. Expand
  15. Jul 21, 2013
    The game is perfect. The ending, the story, the physics. Lets begin shall we? Game graphics are prety good for its year. The physics in the game is evolutionary. No doubt its the best FPS I've ever played. Actualy best game I've played. The strongest part of the game, is the atmosphare. It gives you the feeling you are in a sandbox game how ever every step you make was already wasThe game is perfect. The ending, the story, the physics. Lets begin shall we? Game graphics are prety good for its year. The physics in the game is evolutionary. No doubt its the best FPS I've ever played. Actualy best game I've played. The strongest part of the game, is the atmosphare. It gives you the feeling you are in a sandbox game how ever every step you make was already was desinged. When you nead to feel hopeless game makes you feel like that, when you nead to be awesome. And after all the shooting mechanics and everything was prety good and required real skill... It still succseded to give you the feeling of the atmosphare with a muted character... So here is the status:
    Graphics: 10/10
    Gameplay: 10/10
    Story line: 11/10
    Physics: 10/10
    Atmosphare: 20/10
  16. Aug 11, 2013
    A brilliant mix of puzzles action and story with a big mystery, with creative enemies and weapons, and revolutionary physics and is so immersing that when you hear a zombie it will want to make you look behind you, Half life 2 is a game you just cant miss. (Watch out for the G-man!)
  17. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ótimo game, muito bom mesmo, merece a posição que chegou, o game surpreendente em gráficos, física,história, jogabilidade, enfim com certeza o melhor game de pc.
    djsakfsdjfklsj fkldsj flksajflksjfklsjfklajfkldsjf kldsjfklsajf aksjfldsakjfklsjfsalkjfdskljf lskfjsalkjfsl fjslfshfjsahflsakjfklsjfklsajlfsajlfjdslfsjalfjskjaldsjfkldsjkl djflasfsajlçkjklasjklsdjfçklsjfkl jdsfklueiurriourioaurioueiorauroieuroeiaueoripqiouqpoqpioqurioquuqer
  18. Aug 5, 2013
    Half-Life 2 has astonished us from start to finish. Valve has done to the FPS genre what restaurants in Chinatown do to ducks; shredded it, smothered it in a delicious sauce of their own devising, and served it up in a way which you simply couldn't have imagined when looking at them in the pond.
  19. Aug 5, 2013
    Half Life 2 is the best game I've ever played! This game is absolutely amazing and I've replayed it 8 times! The game really puts you in the mood with it's soundtrack, voice acting and scenery! This is definitely the #1 on my top list of games! You must play this game or else you have missed out on the best game ever made.
  20. Aug 7, 2013
    HL2 is all about immersion. Great storytelling, original in so many ways. Masterpiece.
    I would say there is only one flaw: some guns may need a tweak to work well or simply aim 10 meters ahead.
  21. Aug 16, 2013
    Great story, amazing gun-play and brilliant graphics. Absolutely stunning, made me appreciate this game even more playing it through again, this paved the way for future shooters.
  22. Aug 17, 2013
    Half-Life 2 is one of the best games you will ever play in your life... And it's one game that you'll never forget! As you go more into the game the action, gameplay, and experience will blow your mind! This game has all of it. Support characters, plot twists, amazing dialog, tough enemies, everything! And by time you'll finish this game you will always enjoy it.
  23. Aug 30, 2013
    This is just an amazing game, even though it's 9 years old. It has nice graphics and physics, an interesting story and great gameplay. One of the best games ever.
  24. Oct 12, 2013
    My absolute favorite game. The game is full of action, jaw-dropping moments, silly things, and not to mention if you have it on steam, the mods. OHHHHHHHHHHH! those mods
  25. Oct 14, 2013
    Forget OoT, this game is truly flawless! I'll stat out with graphics first off, for 2004, they are remarkably good, it's like Call of Duty 2's graphics, it's nice, it's that perfect mix. But for me, graphics don't matter, what matters is how it plays. This game is bug free, in the two time I've played it, I've never encountered anything that would break the immersion, it's polished. NowForget OoT, this game is truly flawless! I'll stat out with graphics first off, for 2004, they are remarkably good, it's like Call of Duty 2's graphics, it's nice, it's that perfect mix. But for me, graphics don't matter, what matters is how it plays. This game is bug free, in the two time I've played it, I've never encountered anything that would break the immersion, it's polished. Now the gameplay is honestly some of the most streamlined I've experienced. The sounds in this game are some of the most creative, I always think what Valve did to make such sounds that truly sound alien and foreign, incredible, adds to the game a lot.I should also mention, great story, I'd like to go on but really, I want to keep this short. Overall HL2 is well worth the money, and once it gets you, you just want more. Expand
  26. Oct 17, 2013
    Have recently replayed the game, I asked if it has stood the the test of time. For the most part yes. The game play and graphics are showing their age, but at the time they were released were pioneers. The story though... it is still a grand master piece as you follow Gordon Freeman through his quest to liberate man kind from the combine.
  27. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 8 out of 10, Graphics: 9 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 9 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10, Length: 10 out of 10, Re-play: 7 out of 10, Value: 10 out of 10
  28. Mar 29, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is how fast paced FPS games should be done!

Pros:
    Fantastic Graphics (for the time)
    Excellent Enemy AI
    Facial and body animations
    Thrilling, fast paced gameplay and levels
    Solid shooting

Cons:
    Ravenholm level (Which scared the **** out of me when I first played the game)
    Silent protagonist Gordon Freeman feels unfitting

Besides only one of the chapters and a flaw in character development, this FPS is as pure as pure can get!
  29. Aug 14, 2014
    Half-Life 2 is one of the best games ever and maybe the best FPS of all time. The Great and interesting story, the great gameplay and the great level design made this game one of my favorites.
  30. Mar 10, 2015
    Classic! CLASSIC! everything about this is classic! CLASSIC! CLASSIC! Without this game, there will not be Borderlands, Warframe and urgh,.. I dunno This game is sooo perfect. If you look at other games, there will be alot of Half Life 2 inspiration.
  31. May 24, 2015
    After completing the first Half-Life I was expecting great things from the second chapter, and in fact I was not disappointed. If Half-Life was a revolution, Half-Life 2 was more a further refinement of that revolution.

The consequence of this is that Half-Life 2 is significantly better than the first chapter, which was already a masterpiece. The most amazing thing of Half-Life 2 is, of course, the gameplay: for an fps is just perfect. Already the first chapter was very advanced for its time, but Half-Life 2 went even further. One example is the way the game has used physics (thanks to the Source Engine) to offer one of the best weapons in the history of video games: the Gravity Gun. The Gravity Gun is the apotheosis of all that an fps has to offer. It is a crude but powerful weapon, fun to use and above all original. It is an example of how everything around you, in a game, is alive if you only try to touch it. This, by the way, is also possible without Gravity Gun, but without it is less fun. Another way of how Half-Life 2 has pushed beyond the standards is the introduction of puzzle elements, simple but fun, in a context with which apparently had nothing to do. Place some batteries to provide power to a gate and open it, may seems like silly but not in an fps game. Even using the Gravity Gun to take a rotating blade, or an heavy box, and launching it against an enemy is the art of using the enviroment as a weapon, and it is fantastic.

Other weapons that have gave an higher gear to Half-Life 2 were some like the Pheropods to control Antlions, or the Overwatch Standard Issue Pulse Rifle. It is so cool aesthetically. And the way it shoots, the way it recharge as well. The secondary attack was brilliant and was based on a fantastic physics and bounce mechanism. It was a weapon really fun to use. Last but not least important step forward made by Half-Life 2 (and soon followed by fps games came later) was the introduction of large open spaces where the player could really feel free to move, to experiment, to explore. The difficulty level was generally good and the enemy AI was great and when they were in large groups could get you in trouble. Just perfect as I said.

Personally I found the story of Half-Life 2 fantastic and also higher than the story of the first chapter. The setting in Eastern Europe was really beautiful. The game begins exactly from where the first chapter ends, but compared to the first chapter, Half-Life 2 has brought up more raw and human issues such as slavery, despair, infertility, redemption and hope. I appreciated very much the vision that the game give of Gordon Freeman: his fate, his stasis and his connection with the G-Man, his return as a prophecy, his eyes green as hope, the man who goes back and saves the day, a man of few words as Alyx Vance said, The One Free Man (nice language-game with his own name). All this just to describe one of the greatest and most charismatic characters in video game history. A special praise goes to other characters in the game such as the G-Man, Eli and Alyx Vance, Dog, Dr. Breen and especially to the Combine that are among the greatest villains ever seen in a game.

The graphics of the game was impressive at the time, and it was even 10 years later when I played it. The Source Engine realized everything perfectly, from the characters to the environments, from weapons to the shadows. But what amazed me the most was the detail in the faces, facial expressions, dubbing and lip sync that were just perfect.

Half-Life 2 is a majestic game. Valve gave one of the examples of what can be done when the videoludic art pushes the limits in all its forms. A timeless classic.
  32. Apr 12, 2015
    The definition of the modern FPS. The accurate physics, the smooth graphics, the intriguing story-line and this game its greatest aspect, the level design. My god... the level design! this game definitely is the pinnacle of level design. The only ones who come close to its level (pun intended) are games that almost solely focus on this aspect, such as puzzle games (looking at you, Portal).The definition of the modern FPS. The accurate physics, the smooth graphics, the intriguing story-line and this game its greatest aspect, the level design. My god... the level design! this game definitely is the pinnacle of level design. The only ones who come close to its level (pun intended) are games that almost solely focus on this aspect, such as puzzle games (looking at you, Portal). Speaking of puzzles, HL 2's few physics based puzzles are simple and effective at giving a brief relaxation after the intense skirmishes. Looking at the actual shooter aspect, HL 2 more than passes the grade. Aiming is done without much difficulty and you are presented with a new gun type after a while which keeps things a little more interesting. The only flaw I could find was that controlling the vehicles went somewhat awkward, but you can't blame a game as old as this for that. This game is a solid 10, it definitely is one of the best game I ever played. Expand
  33. Apr 18, 2015
    The Quintessential PC game every person must experience. Not only is this one of the best game of all time story wise, but at the time of release this game was also ahead of it's time with it's groundbreaking physics engine and graphical beauty.
  34. Apr 25, 2015
    Incredibly good. Can't wait for half-life 2 episode 2 or half-life 3! Everyone should get this game and play it at least once. The negative reviews are stupid.
  35. Apr 29, 2015
    Probably one of the greatest games ever made, for any platform when it was released - It still holds up in 2015. Absolute must buy for PC gamers. The graphics have aged a little, but the games strengths lay in the unparalleled level design and fantastic atmosphere.
  36. May 11, 2015
    You always hear about Half-Life 2 and the claim that it is one of the best video games to date. I decided it was time to adventure through this game and see what the fuss was all about. This game is incredible in just about every aspect. Story was great and the gravity gun caused for some hell of a good time. Enjoyable tossing a saw blade through the air to slice people in half. Sadly IYou always hear about Half-Life 2 and the claim that it is one of the best video games to date. I decided it was time to adventure through this game and see what the fuss was all about. This game is incredible in just about every aspect. Story was great and the gravity gun caused for some hell of a good time. Enjoyable tossing a saw blade through the air to slice people in half. Sadly I didn't play the original Half-Life so I was a bit confused with the story at first, a recap or something would of been nice to give the player a chance to soak in everything that happened previously. After reading a article on Half Life it made a lot more sense. For a first person shooter this game had a crap ton of jump scares and points to make me gasp. Turning around to have a headcrab naw into your face or a fast moving zombie jump at you. The amount of shotgun shells wasted in fear
    Good Points: Gravity Gun.How well you could interact with the environment.
    Bad Points: Where was that romance with Alyx >.>