Half-Life 2 PC

9.2

1. AnonymousMC
    Jul 3, 2006
    Overall awesome, Steam is what brings the game down though. Sure, it's nice to be able to get all your games in one program, but it's the bugs of Steam and absolutely horrid support for it that make me hate it.
    As mentioned there were some issues with the physics engine and such, but ultimately, it's a game. It's meant for entertainment purposes, it will never be as realistic as some people want it to be unless they just go out and kick the chair themselves instead of having a 3d virtual avatar do it for them.
    As for the game: I've played it on both an old (6 years now) and new (1 month) old PC. Both worked fine if you know how to tweak your visual settings. My gripe with this: At first Steam started automatically updating everything, which is where the "gotta have the awesome PC to run it" thing came in. Too many features being added without consent.

So really, Game = 15, but Steam's updates, support, and bugs bring it down.
  2. AnonymousMC
    Jul 21, 2006
    Steam aside (evil software), the actual game itself is insane. The facial details of the opening cutscene blew me away before I even fired a shot. The plot is brilliant and easily a worthy sucessor to HL1. My only concern is that HL3 will need the Pentagon's mainfraim to work.

If your computer is less than 1 year old, play it. If not, buy a new machine (levels can take weeks to load, but they are worth it).
  3. AnonymousMC
    Jul 29, 2006
    if you hate this game get out of your house now... and run because a mob of Hl2 fans will hunt you down. this game is the top of gameing. beautiful graphics compelling story, incredible action, some scary elements, those fast zombies always scare the crap outta me. ive had this game since jan 06 and am just now reveiwing and well its amazing, the only downside is probably the worst endingif you hate this game get out of your house now... and run because a mob of Hl2 fans will hunt you down. this game is the top of gameing. beautiful graphics compelling story, incredible action, some scary elements, those fast zombies always scare the crap outta me. ive had this game since jan 06 and am just now reveiwing and well its amazing, the only downside is probably the worst ending ever!!!!!! Expand
  4. AnonymousMC
    Jul 30, 2006
    Ok I've been reading through some posts and ive come up with my own opinion.

For one ill start with a recomendation. This game is for die-hard fans of the HL series and FPS games, and works best with an NVIDIA graphics card in my experiance and also ppl complaining about how "STEAM ruined the game it took too long i couldnt update it" stop your damn whining, I mean i got this when
    Ok I've been reading through some posts and ive come up with my own opinion.

"STEAM ruined the game it took too long i couldnt update it" stop your damn whining, I mean i got this when it came out and only until a month ago could i play it and i still rate this a ten, my point here being dont let a gay ass program ruin your fun. And for those who say it gets boring try playing in sparring. And also for the marine complaining about your internet issues, its called OFFLINE MODE use it retard it got updated.
    Now on to the ending complaints. You see they ended the game like that so that they could have an open horison on sequel pick ups, and the episode formate is to keep players from waiting another ten years for HL3 to come out. I for one acually love the way the game is set up.

Ok and now to you story line nerds. This game did have a story line for those who payed attention, and it all pointed to the final solution of having Gordon Freeman lead a revolt against the combine of city 17. And in my opinion " tedious. boring" isnt a f***ing post thats an unintelligent lazy kid putting up an excuse to be different.

Finally i would like to mention that people dont all put a ten to be with the in crowd as Hideto M put in his post, I call bullshit on his post with the " It's human nature to simply mindlessly follow the crowd" staement. Just beacause you dont agree with the rest of us who have taste doesnt mean you can call it human nature. Its social nature to want to fit in with a large crowd, and guess what. This is just a large FACELESS groupe of gamers we dont know each other and we dont need to worry about any reprocusions of our posting cuz there are none.

well that was my post and i hope you ppl can now see some reason to their problems. If there are any problems i can be found in mostly any G-mod servers under the screen-name "ShadowMarshal9525" so you can take it up with me as a gamer instead of a poster.
  5. AnonymousMC
    Sep 11, 2006
    very well put togeather, good story, awesome game play.. but some minor glitches takes out of the game (shadows that project through items, clipping glitches in the wierdest place that you or key items get stuck on) once more through on the debug might have made this game a 10
  6. AnonymousMC
    Dec 4, 2006
    its apparent that the Madeline V. girl has never played through the whole game. probably played single player for about an hour and couldn't figure out what to do.

this game is all half-life 1 was, but more. boring weapons? they brought back everything except the weird ass alien weapons no one used in the first place. gravity gun? can you say gravity gun? not only did i play through the single player in a matter of days because of being glued to my monitor, i was finding myself VERY satisfied and craving the next episodes. the story is GREAT and valve did a killer job keeping the hype up and actually delivering, something doom 3 failed to do.

madeline, you suck, but half-life 2 does not.
  7. AnonymousMC
    Dec 8, 2006
    Just because you have a problem with the game, doesn't mean you should give it a 0, look at what other people think, and their experience with the game. If your computer doesn't work with it, too bad. You should've looked up some info on te game's requirements before you bought it. Oh, whats that on steam... A DEMO! Try a game before you buy and bitch about it.
  8. AnonymousMC
    Dec 14, 2006
    Absolutely brilliant!!!!! The graphics can run on some of the lowest graphics cards around, with still astonishing detail, and the fact that mods can be so easily created means that it will never get old, especially with things like Source forts, and soon to be portal, which are original, and HIGHLY addictive! WELL worth a ten. I was looking for an 11 option, but oh well...
  9. AnonymousMC
    Jan 7, 2007
    i'm no expert in game reviewing, but as far as i'm concerned, i'm sad i finished it so fast :) HL2, HL2 LC, HL2 EPO .. anyway, maybe it's not the best game ever, who said that ? but it a game that makes me want more .. realistic too, and it gets better and better .. about the HL1 being better .. not necesarely true .. anyway .. not the best, but one of the best
  10. AnonymousMC
    Jan 14, 2007
    I just can't understand why some people rate this 8- ... 1:"STEAM" is great 2:long loading times etc A)get more RAM B)Get rid of your viruses 3:Ok so the last guy is easy that can't bring it down more than 1 point 4: (specificly meant for "Victor") you do know there ain't much RPG ammo around?
    5:AI is bad? lemme pause to laugh *LOL*
    6:Bad ending ey? they're obviously
    5:AI is bad? lemme pause to laugh *LOL*
    6:Bad ending ey? they're obviously gonna make a sequel
    7:Bad story my ass
    8:Imma stop now
  11. AnonymousMC
    Jan 15, 2007
    The Game is ok. Second Place in my Favorite List. First goes to Far Cry. Good Graphics on average systems. That is very good. I played the german version and i have to say that the german syncro is one of the badest i have ever heard. Next time please spend more money for professional german synco-talkers.

And I hate your Steam-System. I have payed for the Game and i want to play it on my computer without steam!
  12. AnonymousMC
    Feb 6, 2007
    i love this game know matter how many times i play it i never get tired of it the only thing that i think that the people who made this game could make better is the end i would like to do more at the very end of the game
  13. AnonymousMC
    Mar 22, 2007
    Para my el hl2 es el mejor juego kon grafica espectacular asta es mejor kel finalfantasi XIII , es 100 veces mejor pok tiene muxa acion violencia etc... y Lord C es un pelele k no tiene ni idea de juegos del siglo 21. Si kereis mas in formacion my steam is COPEGI .
  14. AnonymousMC
    Mar 31, 2007
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game and played through it a few times and lost many hours of sleep in just a few weeks. The graphics were purely stunning, the game play was really fun and really intense, and the puzzles that went along with the gravity gun added a lot to the game.
    Along with all the positive parts of the game, I never encountered something that inherently irked me or even made me think, "C'mon, why would the developers do that?"

Overall it was an amazing game and this puny description of how much I liked it cannot fully convey my overall enjoyment of the game.
  15. AnonymousMC
    Apr 24, 2007
    One of the most brilliant games ever created. Almost ,what ,four years ago?, and it still is visually stunning. New games boasting "great physics" are still pitiful in comparison to HL2. And you get the most out of your money considering that it is only ten dollars on Steam. Only setback is that the ending is abrupt and makes you want to rush out and buy the next episodes, but on a scaleOne of the most brilliant games ever created. Almost ,what ,four years ago?, and it still is visually stunning. New games boasting "great physics" are still pitiful in comparison to HL2. And you get the most out of your money considering that it is only ten dollars on Steam. Only setback is that the ending is abrupt and makes you want to rush out and buy the next episodes, but on a scale of one to ten, it gets an eleven. Expand
  16. AnonymousMC
    May 18, 2007
    Simply put, this is the best game I have ever played. The real world physics coupled with the breathtaking graphics has surplanted every other game i have made. Going back and playing with the gravity gun and on the vehicle levels is some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game.
  17. AnonymousMC
    May 21, 2007
    There is absolutley nothing wrong with this game, no flaws, no mistakes, perfect in every way. huge variety in enemies, weapons, and methods on how to play it. Phyisics are real life and the guns are geat, but marlon brando is to the godfather as Gravity gun is to this.
  18. AnonymousMC
    May 24, 2007
    Possibaly one of the best shooters ever. keeps to the same shabaz as half life one yet still makes you feel your playing something completly new. Also has to be one of the best ending in any game ever. There are still some flaws though. Even though i am a die hard half life fan im not afraid to mention its major flaws. First the teammate AI is preety bad. The will take out 1 or 2 guys andPossibaly one of the best shooters ever. keeps to the same shabaz as half life one yet still makes you feel your playing something completly new. Also has to be one of the best ending in any game ever. There are still some flaws though. Even though i am a die hard half life fan im not afraid to mention its major flaws. First the teammate AI is preety bad. The will take out 1 or 2 guys and leave you with 10.; Finnaly my biggest problem is the installation time is out the door. I know i dont have the best computer but almost a full day to install thats crazy. But end the end it was all worth it beacuse Half Life 2 is a great game. I highly Recomend it. Expand
  19. AnonymousMC
    May 30, 2007
    Definitely sets a benchmark for gaming. Underneath the questionable AI and less-than satisfying ending, beats the cold, hard, kickass heart of an incredibly game. Gameplay is amazing, while the puzzles leave you puzzled. Pun definitely intended. It makes you feel good about yourself when beating the crap out of the combine, yet it doesn't make you feel like you're fightingDefinitely sets a benchmark for gaming. Underneath the questionable AI and less-than satisfying ending, beats the cold, hard, kickass heart of an incredibly game. Gameplay is amazing, while the puzzles leave you puzzled. Pun definitely intended. It makes you feel good about yourself when beating the crap out of the combine, yet it doesn't make you feel like you're fighting lifeless husks. Bravo valve! Keep crankin' em out! Expand
  20. AnonymousMC
    Jun 8, 2007
    Another paradigm shifting game under Valve's belt. The characters are very colorful compared to your typically boring game personalities. The inclusion of the boat and buggy driving adds some well needed gameplay diversity. The only gripe I have is that aside from the barnicles, vortigons and crabs, we don't see any of our aliens from the first games. Still, a great game!
  21. AnonymousMC
    Jun 22, 2007
    A great game if you love fps's, but it was a little repettive in some parts. The story was good and I have played Episode 1 and it makes sense where they leave off in this one. To play it i suggest a good comp but it dosen't have to be a dream system just a decnt computer with a good video card. Still if you love fps's and have a decent system it is a must buy. Also buy allA great game if you love fps's, but it was a little repettive in some parts. The story was good and I have played Episode 1 and it makes sense where they leave off in this one. To play it i suggest a good comp but it dosen't have to be a dream system just a decnt computer with a good video card. Still if you love fps's and have a decent system it is a must buy. Also buy all of the episodes because they are a great value for the $20. Expand
  22. AnonymousMC
    Jun 25, 2007
    This is the best game ever made not only the best out of all the PC games but its the best game out of every system game too including wii,360 and ps3. this game should have got a 100 rating because it beats out far cry by miles sorry to the guy below me but half-life will always win for its amazing storyline to its incredible graphics and physics engine and finally its greatestThis is the best game ever made not only the best out of all the PC games but its the best game out of every system game too including wii,360 and ps3. this game should have got a 100 rating because it beats out far cry by miles sorry to the guy below me but half-life will always win for its amazing storyline to its incredible graphics and physics engine and finally its greatest accomplishment ever its great endings always open for another sequel. Expand
  23. AnonymousMC
    Jul 11, 2007
    The game is awesome, besides the fact that the single player storyline was too short, and that the driving levels were slightly boring. But what does make me incredibly irritated are the people who are giving reviews, and scoring this game a 0 due to steam. Incase you haven't noticed, we are scoring the game Half-Life 2, not the program Steam. -_-
  24. AnonymousMC
    Sep 22, 2007
    An utterly amazing game. Valve have improved a lot since half-life 1, adding much better graphics, incredible sound and an amazing range of weapons, including the best video game weapon of all time (according to GameTrailers), the Gravity Gun. Not only these things, but it is extremely realistic, except for the facts that you can move when being shot and you can walk perfectly normallyAn utterly amazing game. Valve have improved a lot since half-life 1, adding much better graphics, incredible sound and an amazing range of weapons, including the best video game weapon of all time (according to GameTrailers), the Gravity Gun. Not only these things, but it is extremely realistic, except for the facts that you can move when being shot and you can walk perfectly normally when you have fell from a height. Overall, a great game, and definitely worth the money. Expand
  25. AnonymousMC
    Sep 30, 2007
    What can I say, 3 years later, about HL2 that hasn't already been said? Not much, I guess. It gave me great satisfaction to find myself in such an interesting, well-sculpted virtual world. Yeah, it was linear, but the presentation was nothing short of fantastic. Call me strange, but I was so awed when I saw my first, Nazi-like, Orwellian enforcer. As I stopped and stared, all I heardWhat can I say, 3 years later, about HL2 that hasn't already been said? Not much, I guess. It gave me great satisfaction to find myself in such an interesting, well-sculpted virtual world. Yeah, it was linear, but the presentation was nothing short of fantastic. Call me strange, but I was so awed when I saw my first, Nazi-like, Orwellian enforcer. As I stopped and stared, all I heard was the click-click-click of the observer drone and the constant droning of propaganda from the speakers on the wall. I was hooked. Nothing gets me more than an environment that is gripping, believable, and immersive. Not like that cluttered, illogical crap you get from Bioshock and others. HL2 just got better from there. Above average weapon selection. The gravity gun was a pleasure to work with. Interesting enemies to fight. Good story. And all of it so beautifully, visually and sonically, presented. I love the sound of that one later assault rifle (with the bouncing ball as the secondary): it was so satisfying to use (too bad it ran out of ammo so quickly!). Presentation will make or break a game like that. Thank goodness Valve got it right. Cons? Too short. =) Expand
  26. AnonymousMC
    Oct 21, 2007
    Just beat it on the Orange Box. Pretty good game, worth playing once or twice, but I didn't find it as amazing as what most people said. I'm sure it's story (while a little disappointing) and its physics were revolutionary, I absolutely hated the driving missions (especially the airboat) and it felt a little repetitive with little variety to the enemies. Mostly striders,Just beat it on the Orange Box. Pretty good game, worth playing once or twice, but I didn't find it as amazing as what most people said. I'm sure it's story (while a little disappointing) and its physics were revolutionary, I absolutely hated the driving missions (especially the airboat) and it felt a little repetitive with little variety to the enemies. Mostly striders, soldiers, antlions and headcrabs. Great game but not the greatest. Expand
  27. AnonymousMC
    Oct 28, 2007
    This was one of the best games I have ever played. Returning as Gordon Freeman from the action packed Half Life 1. Personally I played Half Life 1 when I was 6 years old. And now as I am older I still love the game. This game started a Pc gaming revolution! Before Halo was even thought of!
  28. AnonymousMC
    Jan 5, 2008
    After reading some user comments (usually with a score of 6 and below) I noticed that many people say that this game is highly over-rated...

This forced me to play Half-Life 2 again and I had a hell of a good time. The game play is not much to complain about, although the game is somewhat very linear, but that doesn't count too much. Enemy AI is somewhat iffy but it is at least challenging. Also the friendly AI is somewhat annoying for me (they can get in your way a little bit). The story was interesting in my opinion to keep me attached to my computer to play it.
    The graphics for that time were damn good-looking. The sound is impressive (especially in voice acting) and in some occasions it doesn't.

And back on the topic of over-rated games. Over-rated games are those who get advertised to much and in the end they are nothing more than just normal FPS without nothing new to show, much like the Halo series, I suspect that the people that post their low scores can be Halo fanboys or people who think that this game doesn't suit their taste, which makes me to wonder why the hell did they picked it up in the first place. Buying a game without looking it first is a terrible idea...

People are perfectly entitled to their opinions, I respect that, like the former people I mentioned (not fanboys). But the only reason I'm posting this is because people say many times that this game is highly over-rated...

People who are giving this game a low score can be a little annoying (not for me) but be fair, this game is an excellent piece of game design and manufacture.

And no, it is not perfect. No game is. It IS, however, a milestone in the development of the genre whether you like it or not.

You people (or Halo fanboys) don't like the game? Wonderful, good for you. You guys have your reasons, which are, as far as I can tell, that you don't care for the setting and production design. This doesn't make it a bad game, nor over-rated. That simply means you guys don't like it.
  29. AnonymousMC
    Feb 21, 2008
    Having just played through it again three and a half years after it's original release, Half-life 2 remains an absolutely stunning game. Engaging on every level with the ability to shock, terrify, emotionally move you or get your blood pumping. This, if anything, is pure digital art. Name me another game that still seems fresh, exciting and just as good three years on? Go on - I dare you!
  30. AnonymousMC
    Feb 26, 2008
    I loved the game. great graphics, engine etc. adn for everybody that is complaining about the story I really don't see what the problem is. If you didn't play the first game i see how it could get confusing but then play the first game! if you are to lazy to do that just go on the internet and read up on it.
  31. AnonymousMC
    Feb 27, 2008
    It's amazing how this game is great. The graphics are top of the line (for the time) and the sound is very good too. Sometimes a great battle is starting and some techno tunes start to play helping you to get in the mood.
    The caracters are apealling. You really start caring about Alyx, the crazy doc, Barney and your war mates. There's no actually bosses, but the challenges keep increasing and the monsters keep coming always as good surprises, like the building-tall monsters or even the "crazy blades of doom" that the combine release.
    It's a great playing. When you think you'll get tired of something, the game changes and add some cool new aspect, scenario or gun.
    It's a masterpiece in every little detail.
  32. AnonymousMC
    Mar 14, 2008
    why does everyone give this game a bad score because of steam HOW IS STEAM BAD. i just dont get it steam is amazing there is nothig wrong with it. plus so what if it takes a long time to load on your computer, its your computers fault not steam's. 2nd best game in the world next to ratchet and clank
  33. AnonymousMC
    Mar 25, 2008
    After playing through this game over 10 times i have decided that this sis indeed the best game ever made. I have next to no complaints on this game and they are: the shadows arent accurate and it had to end. seriously if it were possible i would want this game to never end. Gordon Freeman rules, Half life rules, Valve rules!
  34. AnonymousMC
    Apr 6, 2008
    By far one of the best games on the market, the beautiful graphics are backed up by one of the most engaging story lines, and an amazing physics engine, make this a required play. The use of Zombies in the game is also great, they spring out at you from the most unexpected places. This game has few faults, one of those is that they can't get the new episodes out fast enough, anotherBy far one of the best games on the market, the beautiful graphics are backed up by one of the most engaging story lines, and an amazing physics engine, make this a required play. The use of Zombies in the game is also great, they spring out at you from the most unexpected places. This game has few faults, one of those is that they can't get the new episodes out fast enough, another is the bad team system, but that is negligible.

In short, if they like FPSs, or even if you don't, get this game.
  35. AnonymousMC
    Jul 1, 2008
    This is a really awesome game! even after playing it a bunch of times there are still things that i havent seen.... if you rated it 0 just because of steam taking forever etc etc then your internet sucks = and people complaining about Gordon being a silent hero.... retards.... like saying its stupid that master chief never shows his face.
  36. AnonymousMC
    Jul 17, 2008
    True fact, this is one of the best first person shooters ever released.
    Halo may top charts in sales and release "excitement" but content isnt anywhere near as good.

And as a reply to "Nick C."
    It IS rated a mature game, which is 4 years above your age.

Great story, great graphics, great physics, best gameplay.
  37. AnonymousMC
    Oct 30, 2008
    Believe me, i would rate this 20/10 if i could. Utterly excellent game - i have played the series around 5 times now and i have not stopped. I can hardly find anything bad about it; it was just so immersive, something i have found many, many other games lack. Favourite bit: killing hordes of headcrabs with only a crowbar. I would probably rate this either best or second best game i haveBelieve me, i would rate this 20/10 if i could. Utterly excellent game - i have played the series around 5 times now and i have not stopped. I can hardly find anything bad about it; it was just so immersive, something i have found many, many other games lack. Favourite bit: killing hordes of headcrabs with only a crowbar. I would probably rate this either best or second best game i have ever played. Fantastic! Expand
  38. AnonymousMC
    Nov 29, 2008
    brilliant game completed it 4 times but the graphics are nice so are models althouth through the game you see replica team mates that anoys me otherwise all is great i could complete the game in about 4 hours its all about having a good puzzle and action mind valve has really pushed its self forward from half-life 1
  39. AnonymousMC
    Nov 30, 2008
    Released in late '04, this game was a triumph of graphical achievement. Even today, the source engine stands up incredibly well and is one of the least demanding of your system. The game itself was amazing, mind blowing, and altogether almost perfect. Those folks at Valve know how to pump out quality software.
  40. AnonymousMC
    Dec 10, 2008
    The game is just awesome. The Graph, the texture, the effects, the fysics! And all this can be runned with high settings and good resolution with even a crappy computer (compared these days). Other developers of games around the world should make note about this game, -> how to run great graphics, and still not be a power eater. And act acordingly. Even dispite the fact that the game isThe game is just awesome. The Graph, the texture, the effects, the fysics! And all this can be runned with high settings and good resolution with even a crappy computer (compared these days). Other developers of games around the world should make note about this game, -> how to run great graphics, and still not be a power eater. And act acordingly. Even dispite the fact that the game is all about solo action. Just doesent matter. Its just so awesome. Expand
  41. AnonymousMC
    Jan 6, 2009
    From start to finish, Half-Life 2 is an amazing ride. Stunningly beautiful graphics and fluid gameplay make for a smooth play through an epic plot. The characters are great, the source engine shines from start to finish and nothing beats the thrill of beating the tar out of zombies with a crowbar when you're on 20 health and you've run out of ammo.

All in all, Half-Life 2 gets

All in all, Half-Life 2 gets a straight up 10 from me.
  42. AnonymousMC
    Jan 16, 2009
    A Brilliant entry into a brilliant series. On an engine that looks great when compared to some of the modern games, it's no wonder why this was such an eye popper when it first came out. That, and the system requirements are incredibly low. Buy it, if not for the game, for the story and the ever so atmospheric levels.
  43. AnonymousMC
    Feb 16, 2009
    Excellent revolutionary game and anyone who says something else is either retarded/stupid or a total noob in PC gaming. Also, for the ones who say the opposite, Steam is a great platform that enables you to buy games online, download them on any PC and it also offers you automatic updates and great online gaming.

This is one of the best games ever.
  44. AnonymousMC
    Jun 26, 2009
    Okay im not going to say THIS GAME IS FUCKING GREAT... well it is byt thats not for me to decide... thats for you. but if you were to ask me... this game has amazing graphics and phisyics from sorce and the gameplay and story line is just finominal...
    10/10 valve... you did it again.
  45. AnonymousMC
    Jul 2, 2009
    Very good game people giving it 1 either it didnt work for them or it was two hard i think the game is challenging sometimes annoying but hands down for its time its the best game in 2003 04 and 05 i think nothing was comparing to half life in those days so 10 nice job valve i love your games keep it up
  46. AnonymousMC
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sure it's boring when you complete it but the first time I played it in 2005 I thought it was really nice, the graphics aren't to bad. I don't recommend this for new gamers though since it needs some more time to think etc.

The AI Rebels helping you isn't so good but who cares. The face posing is really nice, what more could you want? Valve has done a great job!
  47. AnonymousMC
    Aug 4, 2009
    best game ever. every second is heart pounding. i found myself hating the citadel as much as i hate hitler. the soldiers and graphics are amazing. its a complete view of what a futuristic holocaust would be like. the machines are so scary and you find yourself wanting to save your fellow rebels and wanting to kill every solider that has anything to do with Dr. greene.
  48. AnonymousMC
    Aug 4, 2009
    I played the first Half-Life, I do have to say the first Half-Life was much more challenging. However, Half-Life 2 has a better first person shooting system (I don't die in 2 seconds). Graphics are great even for its' time. I think the reason why this game really gets a nine is because the story is amazing. 9 out of 10.
  49. BobB
    Aug 9, 2009
    This game still exceeds every wannabe first-person shooter game made after it and most likely still will for years to come. Half-Life 2 has horror, action, comedy, puzzle, and sci-fi woven into it brilliantly and beautifully around every corner. It combines every aspect a gamer could possibly want in video game. The breathtaking graphics and wonderful personality of every character make This game still exceeds every wannabe first-person shooter game made after it and most likely still will for years to come. Half-Life 2 has horror, action, comedy, puzzle, and sci-fi woven into it brilliantly and beautifully around every corner. It combines every aspect a gamer could possibly want in video game. The breathtaking graphics and wonderful personality of every character make this game historical,not only for FPS standards, but for any sort of game available. Expand
  50. AnonymousMC
    Aug 20, 2009
    I rarely give anything a 10, but Half-Life is really the only game I know that perfects almost every aspect of FPS gaming, and of which I can say is in an entire league of it's own. I can play it over and over again and not get tired of anything but the lack of things to criticize. Great story, clean gameplay, and fantastic visuals and atmosphere- It's a legend.
  51. AnonymousMC
    Aug 22, 2009
    When i played the demo i was like WOW i need the orange box.When i got the orange box i was like this isnt the best.its just a normal fps game but great idea of story but just after chapter 8 you are bored.but the game is fine because you can play synergy dystopia and lots more if you have hl2
  52. BernhardF
    Aug 25, 2009
    I thought HL2 was a fantastic game, and that the water was especially impressive, although for some totally inexplicable reason they forgot to add any displacement physics, meaning that stuff put into the water mysteriously contains water even if its solid. I really enjoyed the Nova Prospekt level too. Ravenholm was tolerable, but after a while, the fun of beating headcrabs with a crowbar I thought HL2 was a fantastic game, and that the water was especially impressive, although for some totally inexplicable reason they forgot to add any displacement physics, meaning that stuff put into the water mysteriously contains water even if its solid. I really enjoyed the Nova Prospekt level too. Ravenholm was tolerable, but after a while, the fun of beating headcrabs with a crowbar kinda wears off. Four things missing from this game: 1) Displacement physics in the Source engine 2) A dual-wield weapon/item hold system- anyone else remember the chair-pistol wield from Return to Castle Wolfenstein? I liked that. Also, wielding 2 pistols in Route Kanal would be fun. 3) The sniper rifle. There is actually code for one there somewhere, honest, but its not a usable weapon as there are no models. 4) Flyable vehicles. Okay, so we have a boat level, a car level, a foot level... why not stick a chopper on the roof of that building by the citadel and fly through C17 strafing the striders? Finally, I have had no problems with Steam, in fact, I love it. It makes it so much easier to have a combined game browser (all my non-steam games have shortcuts there), and a chat feature which shows the game you are playing and if it is a multiplayer game, a join the server feature. Finally a reliable game organisation and multiplayer co-ordination system that works. And yes, I've tried most of them. GameSpy is adequate. GameShadow is a waste of space. HyperLobby is tolerable. But Steam? For me, it is great. No problems ever. Expand
  53. AnonymousMC
    Aug 27, 2009
    Half Life 2 is an amazing game. It combines (no pun intended) strategic combat with puzzles and difficulty. As you escape from city 17 you can feel the adrenaline kicking in, with the music and sound effects creating this scary mood. It is a relatively old game, but has tons better graphics and gameplay than Call of Duty 4. The game has so much to think about that you are immediatelyHalf Life 2 is an amazing game. It combines (no pun intended) strategic combat with puzzles and difficulty. As you escape from city 17 you can feel the adrenaline kicking in, with the music and sound effects creating this scary mood. It is a relatively old game, but has tons better graphics and gameplay than Call of Duty 4. The game has so much to think about that you are immediately immersed in Gordon Freeman's life. Half Life is one of the few games that is a classic. Expand
  54. AnonymousMC
    Aug 30, 2009
    Half-Life 2 is just one amazing game. I played the original Half-Life when it came out, and after I beat it, I eagerly awaited the second. Fast-forwarding 9 years, I hear about Half-Life 2 coming out, and I am so amazed I can hardly contain myself.
    They did Half-Life justice. I consider this the best FPS story-wise and just an all around amazing game.
    Who is the G-Man? Who does he work
    Who is the G-Man? Who does he work for? Why Gorden Freeman?
    In the Future, I hope to have these questioned answered!
  55. AnonymousMC
    Aug 31, 2009
    This game is what I call a masterpiece, good graphics for a 04' game, the best story line I've seen. I personally I love the havok engine, the way you have a enviroment where you can interact with almoust anything is great! You feel a lot more involved and free in the level, and thats why this game deserves a ten!
  56. AnonymousMC
    Oct 6, 2009
    This game is the gratest I ever played, it tells a wonderfull story full of action and feelins, not all creatures are real, but it's very realistic. Besides that it gives you a lot of weapons and all the stuff to fight, u just can pic up a glas-bottle and throw it with the gravitrax so hard it flys som 100 meters, other than, it also gives ya houndreds of cars and boats and busses orThis game is the gratest I ever played, it tells a wonderfull story full of action and feelins, not all creatures are real, but it's very realistic. Besides that it gives you a lot of weapons and all the stuff to fight, u just can pic up a glas-bottle and throw it with the gravitrax so hard it flys som 100 meters, other than, it also gives ya houndreds of cars and boats and busses or trains you can drive mwith. ITS REALLY GREAT!!!! Expand
  57. elliotw
    Oct 11, 2009
    Half life 2 review Half life 2 is undoubtedly one of the greatest fps
  58. Hiliomar|Iced|
    Oct 14, 2009
    Quite simply an amazing game, i do not agree with mikael who gave it a 6 and said the team ai was weak, it was simply good enough to want to finish the game. Althrough the game the most fun weapon was of course the gravity gun. picking up things and throwing them around was very enjoying and throwing explosives barrels at the enemy was fantastic. Thanks Valve For making such an fantastic game.
  59. AnonymousMC
    Oct 18, 2009
    Best game ever made. SECOND TO NONE!
    I remember playing Half-Life. Thinking that it was the best game ever created and that no game company would ever surpass it. Then Half-Life 2 came out. HOLY CRAP!!
    If you haven't played this game, then you do not deserve to be called "hardcore" or a "gamer, or any combination thereof. The entire Half-Life series crushes any other game on the
    Best game ever made. SECOND TO NONE!
    The entire Half-Life series crushes any other game on the market and most likely any game to be introduced to the video game market for quite a while. Even Halo, which is quite overrated to be honest.
    Buy it. It's like what, $10 at most? Oh and get Half-Life 1 as well, and the expansion packs: Opposing Force, and Blue Shift; and get Episode 1 & 2 for HL2. Oh, and get Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead, and...
    Okay, okay, just make sure to get the WHOLE Half-life series for maximum enjoyment!
  60. KennethW.
    Oct 25, 2004
    This game looks awsome even better then doom 3.
  61. LukeM.
    Oct 31, 2004
    Best Game Ever!!!!
  62. Krillan
    Oct 27, 2004
    Fantastic!!!
  63. GlennP.
    Nov 17, 2004
    This game is the best FPS I've ever seen. The graphics engine is absolutely stunning - I have no idea how they got it to look so AWESOME on my ATI 9500 Pro video card - it looks better than Far-Cry with twice the framerate. I spent the first 30 minutes of the game with my jaw literally hanging open - this game is the new standard that all FPS games will have to meet.
  64. BobbyJ.
    Nov 17, 2004
    This is game is just... WOW, Valve really outdone themselves with this one, in fact, theyve outdone every other game out there, I mean the graphics, sound, and every thing else. This game is a definite buy for any PC gamer. :)
  65. AnthonyS.
    Oct 27, 2004
    Best game ever made. Period. This game, its gameplay, graphics, storyline, and creativity are simply and utterly flawless. It is undeniably the first game in history to ever surpass all expectations of a video game. Add to that the amazing multiplayer capabilities that the game is open to, and we have ourselves a winner.
  66. RonitC.
    Nov 15, 2004
    Does Half Life 1 proud...buy this game.
  67. DeaneE.
    Nov 16, 2004
    Played the game up at Valve's offices. Let me say: disappointed, you won't be. This game would have been great even if it was just a room with physics objects and the manipulator. But they built a game around that awesomeness that shines in almost every area. You're in for a treat. :)
  68. OliverH.
    Nov 16, 2004
    More sleepless nights and C-S-2!!!!!
  69. BlakeC
    Nov 15, 2004
    It ROCK's
  70. MarcD.
    Nov 23, 2004
    A well-polished FPS with, both, a strong single and multiplayer mode. Fans of CS will love the new Source version and the people who loved the pacing of the original Half-Life will relive the love affair they had with the first game's single-player campaign. Great stuff.
  71. S.S.
    Nov 16, 2004
    it's about time, and it's FREAKING unbelieveable.
  72. Flanders
    Nov 16, 2004
    I love the texture resolution in this game.. things look almost real. As for gameplay, I was able to rip the TV out of the wall, walk it down the hall, and chuck it in the face of the guard... awesome!
  73. SteveA.
    Nov 23, 2004
    All incredible, but what's up with the ending?
  74. BrianS.
    Nov 23, 2004
    This game is without a doubt the best game I have ever played. Storyline, characters, physics, graphics. its all the best ever done in a game.
  75. LindenC.
    Nov 22, 2004
    Awesome but not perfect, not sold with half life source and all that without paying more thats bullsh*t.
  76. CrayHorse
    Nov 28, 2004
    Half-Life 2 is good, but grossly overrated. Yes, the graphics are eye-popping on the latest video hardware, and the physics is a lot of fun. But the game has long repetetive stretches which are mind-numbingly tedious. Unlike Halo 1/2, riding the vehicles in Half-Life 2 is so tedious that I've come to dread their appearance. At the end of the day, Doom 3 is a better game and a better Half-Life 2 is good, but grossly overrated. Yes, the graphics are eye-popping on the latest video hardware, and the physics is a lot of fun. But the game has long repetetive stretches which are mind-numbingly tedious. Unlike Halo 1/2, riding the vehicles in Half-Life 2 is so tedious that I've come to dread their appearance. At the end of the day, Doom 3 is a better game and a better gaming experience. Expand
  77. SpankMonkey
    Nov 27, 2004
    Game very good but not best. Starcraft is still better. to TONY THE PIRATE how much did you pay for you're 'copy' of HL2? ;) hahaha my bad.
  78. JakeV.
    Nov 28, 2004
    Best Game Ever made and Ctf is kick ass I can't stop Playing... A+
  79. TomV.
    Nov 29, 2004
    It's refreshing to see that not as many people are attempting to earn some sort of geek-cred by dissing this stupidly fantastic piece of gaming artistry. J.J. either has not played the game, or is droolingly stupid. Giving a game like this anything below an eight doesn't make any sense. The art, the technology and the game design are all unprecedented, and that's all there It's refreshing to see that not as many people are attempting to earn some sort of geek-cred by dissing this stupidly fantastic piece of gaming artistry. J.J. either has not played the game, or is droolingly stupid. Giving a game like this anything below an eight doesn't make any sense. The art, the technology and the game design are all unprecedented, and that's all there is to it. It's not counter-culture to disrespect the faultless and flawless, it's just criminally stupid, and anyone who does it ought to be ashamed. Expand
  80. DaveyZ.
    Nov 29, 2004
    Anyone who says this game is overrated doesn't know what they're talking about. This game was ridiculously intensely fun all the way through. The game was pretty long and i still cursed and was disappointed when it ended...the ending sequence was so fun. Linear game? Yes...it is a fps (most of them tend to be). If you want a non-linear game play vampire bloodlines...you'll Anyone who says this game is overrated doesn't know what they're talking about. This game was ridiculously intensely fun all the way through. The game was pretty long and i still cursed and was disappointed when it ended...the ending sequence was so fun. Linear game? Yes...it is a fps (most of them tend to be). If you want a non-linear game play vampire bloodlines...you'll come crawling back to hl2 w/in 10 minutes. Best game made up till now. Expand
  81. Batmanactually
    Nov 29, 2004
    I played this game like crazy its so awesome!!!!!! beat it like an hour ago...I wanted to play more...I didnt want it to end!!! everyone giving it under an 8 just dont know anything about fps games...this game had tons of work put into it thats why it is so great...and Cray Horse you said that Half-Life 2 got repetitive...and you said Doom 3 was a better game...Doom 3 is the repetitive I played this game like crazy its so awesome!!!!!! beat it like an hour ago...I wanted to play more...I didnt want it to end!!! everyone giving it under an 8 just dont know anything about fps games...this game had tons of work put into it thats why it is so great...and Cray Horse you said that Half-Life 2 got repetitive...and you said Doom 3 was a better game...Doom 3 is the repetitive and worse game...I beat Half-Life 2 in 3 days...I havent even bothered to beat Doom 3 even after 3 months... Expand
  82. InTheBiz
    Dec 2, 2004
    As someone who works for EA [Ed: hmm...], and I'm not really supposed to admit that online, Halflife 2 is the most ass-kickinest, corpse-flinginest, physics perfected, polished piece of envy enducing ambrosia to have ever graced my computer. Having just finished it, I need to find a methadone clinic before I start suffering withdrawls. Mad-Props to the Valve crew.
  83. Capiche
    Dec 10, 2004
    You idiot jeffthejiff. valve had been working on this game for years and you call it LAST MINUTE? they put years and years of their lives into something that you call LAST MINUTE????? the physics themself warrant years of toying, the graphics arent as advanced as doom but look just as good, and the gameplay is great.
  84. DavidC.
    Dec 13, 2004
    Best first person shooter since.. well, since Half-Life. Not my favourite genre, but I am absolutely _loving_ this. The most visceral experience I've ever had from a PC game.
  85. V.Z.
    Dec 12, 2004
    I wouldn't go as far and give it a ten. in fact, I almost gave it an 8. Half-Life 2 is another Half-Life, so if you liked the first game, you will love playing through the second. ONCE. The game has little replay value, and scripting in general can't be blamed for it. I played the first Half-life a couple of times and had fun. I got the feeling that something aobut the way this I wouldn't go as far and give it a ten. in fact, I almost gave it an 8. Half-Life 2 is another Half-Life, so if you liked the first game, you will love playing through the second. ONCE. The game has little replay value, and scripting in general can't be blamed for it. I played the first Half-life a couple of times and had fun. I got the feeling that something aobut the way this game is put together makes a replay less fun. Is it the story, that starts promising but becomes weaker? Is it the fact that the game is not as revolutional as the first (while Far Cry, sorry to say that, was)? I don't know. Anyway, Half-life 2 is a great, amazing trip the first time round, which would deserve a score of 11. But that's pretty much it. Oh, this score is only for single player, btw. I always wanted to try Counterstrike, but I still never did. Expand
  86. Steinerwarriorhl2
    Nov 17, 2004
    Best game ever. NO DOUBT. Who isn't a fan, play it and you will be a fan.
  87. SamN.
    Wow.
  88. JayL.
    Nov 17, 2004
    Everything that Doom 3 in all it's disappointment wasn't. Simply amazing.
  89. ArenM.
    Nov 17, 2004
    Excellent gaming experience. My only beef is the long load times throughout the game. This however can be overlooked due to the perfection of every other aspect. BUY IT!
  90. EricW.
    Nov 17, 2004
    A beautiful piece of art, perfection in it's purest state. Half-Life 2 set the new bar for game devolopment. The mod community will insure your investment for years to come.
  91. BuddyLove
    Nov 17, 2004
    I bought the DVD version of this game and it totally still rocks. This year's best FPS and the most gorgeous graphics. You will not be disappointed. It also include the first Hlaf Life & Counter-Strike: Source.
  92. DougD.
    Nov 19, 2004
    This game floored me the moment I stepped off the train. It's graphics and physics engine is truly incredible. Although Jon Carmack (Founder, lead developer of id; DOOM) shouldn't lose any sleep over his masterpiece, the SOURCE engine is truly amazing. Eyes follow your moves while their head moves in the other direction, awesome. The physics, like the graphics, are also one of a This game floored me the moment I stepped off the train. It's graphics and physics engine is truly incredible. Although Jon Carmack (Founder, lead developer of id; DOOM) shouldn't lose any sleep over his masterpiece, the SOURCE engine is truly amazing. Eyes follow your moves while their head moves in the other direction, awesome. The physics, like the graphics, are also one of a kind. What brings this review down to a 9 for me is the story. It had so much potential, but ultimately fails which is truly awful because it puts a minor dent in the armor of the best FPS since the original Half Life. Expand
  93. BitBurn
    Nov 18, 2004
    Installation was brutal. Had to restart like 5 times because one of the file wouldn
  94. DavidM.
    Nov 18, 2004
    It is the best game ever. I Love it.
  95. Dimi
    Nov 18, 2004
    #best physics engine in a fps ever, you can "feel" and handle objects in a way never possible before. #most details textures in a fps ever, extremly detailed walls etc. #rich story compared to other fps. no doubt doom3 and others have a hard time matching the story depth in HL2. i believe that there are to many fps released nowadays, all fps gives you a feeling of quantity rather than #best physics engine in a fps ever, you can "feel" and handle objects in a way never possible before. #most details textures in a fps ever, extremly detailed walls etc. #rich story compared to other fps. no doubt doom3 and others have a hard time matching the story depth in HL2. i believe that there are to many fps released nowadays, all fps gives you a feeling of quantity rather than quality. But this one feels no doubt a as meaningful and supereb release, even tough we have seen much of this before, the above mentioned makes this propably one of the best FPS to date. Expand
  96. RetR.
    Amazing.
  97. Cyberxero
    Nov 19, 2004
    Wooooohoooooooooo!!!This game is by far the probably the best FPS ever to be made.The graphics are beautiful, the sound is great, A.I is simply awesome, physics are a real treat and gameplay is just awesome. It for sure beats Doom 3, Halo 2 and even Farcry as an FPS. The story line is perfect just as the first Half-life story line was. The game is frantic, intense and almost scarily Wooooohoooooooooo!!!This game is by far the probably the best FPS ever to be made.The graphics are beautiful, the sound is great, A.I is simply awesome, physics are a real treat and gameplay is just awesome. It for sure beats Doom 3, Halo 2 and even Farcry as an FPS. The story line is perfect just as the first Half-life story line was. The game is frantic, intense and almost scarily real.Over all if you saved up enough for a FPS dont hesitate and go for HL2. Truly the best FPS out there. PLus if your done with the campaign,there is a multiplayer mode sort of like tactical-ops but wayyyyyyyyy better!! So go and buy HL2 now! =) Expand
  98. K.M.
    Nov 18, 2004
    You heard all the accolades and rave reviews...so I can't praise this game any further...all I can add, after playing the first few chapters, is that never before have I been so involved as a character in a game. Wow - every bullet I dodge, every hit I take, every inch I fall, it all feels like it's so real...no, it is real, or at least after a while your mind's gonna tell You heard all the accolades and rave reviews...so I can't praise this game any further...all I can add, after playing the first few chapters, is that never before have I been so involved as a character in a game. Wow - every bullet I dodge, every hit I take, every inch I fall, it all feels like it's so real...no, it is real, or at least after a while your mind's gonna tell you so. This in my humble opinion is the greatest achievement in action gaming, bar none. Don't take my word for it, grab your crowbar and step into the world that is City 17. Games like this are few and far in between. Enjoy it while it's here folks. Expand
  99. MattW.
    Nov 21, 2004
    The best game ever. better than anything else, halo 2 good game, but nothing compared to this. the story is great and i think it sets the scene perfectly for a sequel. and how good that would be.
  100. Mr.Fajardo
    Nov 25, 2004
    Like 6 years ago, HL 2 will make you to forget ANY FPS around. Let the mods begin !!

3. Playboy