9.2

1. Apr 15, 2011
    I just replayed Half-Life 2 again about a month ago. Even in 2011, seven years after its initial release, I am still reminded why Half-Life 2 is one of the greatest first-person shooters of all time. Not the greatest, but definitely one of them.

I think the greatest strength in Half-Life 2 (gameplay-wise) is the level design. Over the course of I believe 14 levels, you see an incredible variation in locale, level structure, lighting, and gameplay. This is complimented by such a flux in mood, intensity, and immersion that you can't help but to just be enthralled by it.

For instance, the entire first 3 chapters of the game is a slow build-up to an intense climax. You start as a fugitive, running across the rooftops of City 17 to escape the Combine Overwatch. You are allowed to take a short, 10-minute breather in a safe-haven, then thrust back into the bowels of the city's sewer system, and finally driving your own airboat through the canals. It's such a gradual build you hardly notice it, until you reach the end of the climax, discover you've been holding your breath for the past 30 seconds, and that you've been maintaining a white-knuckled grip on your mouse this whole time. And that's the first 3 chapters.

After this you are treated to some incredibly creepy locations, and some more intense escapes/shootouts. All the atmosphere is enhanced with some pretty incredible performances both animation- and voice-acting-wise, even if you consider that this is 2011.

And wow, the voice acting. These are some of the most incredible video game characters to this date. Immensely believable, highly emotional, subtly expressive, the characters help suck you right into the story and world that Valve created, and you could almost be fooled into thinking they are actually talking to you...

Oh and that reminds me, the story. Okay, so it's not laid out for you word-for-word what's going on, or what relevance all these characters have in terms of the story from the instance you set foot into the game. I have read a lot of reviews and seen a lot of complaints. Yes, Valve did not flesh it out in its entirety in the first chapter. No, you pretty much don't have a clue what kind of influence the combine and the G-Man are right from the word go. But to be honest, I don't care. When it comes to story-telling, I personally enjoy the opportunity to discover the story for myself, and not just have it told to me if I were a five-year-old. There are some pretty subtle hints laying around concerning backstory, main storyline, and intertwining character plots. If you look for them, you'll find that this is actually some interesting sci-fi, more driven by characters (which it should be) than by what's necessary to pluck a plot twist out of your ass. So overall, the story ended up being a plus in my opinion.

Other than that, the graphics are still good, though a bit dated, physics are awesome, and the gravity gun continues to be the best weapon in the history of gaming, Go Valve! Now I just can't wait until my Portal 2 pre-load finishes...
  2. May 3, 2012
    A standard by which all FPS games should be compared and/or measured against in today's modern world. Truly the best overall game that has ever existed by a great company named 'ValvE and a multi-platform game which still shows beyond-oustanding PC support to it's most faithful audience and/or customers. This is simply better than CoD, Halo or any series for that matter, genre - RPG, FPS,A standard by which all FPS games should be compared and/or measured against in today's modern world. Truly the best overall game that has ever existed by a great company named 'ValvE and a multi-platform game which still shows beyond-oustanding PC support to it's most faithful audience and/or customers. This is simply better than CoD, Halo or any series for that matter, genre - RPG, FPS, RTS, MMORPG, etc... the list goes on. Simply put, an engaging story, amazing physics and challeging and innovative gameplay and puzzles as well as deep character development and excellent level design. Get this and any title made by Valve, The Orange Box e.g. has this game and a few others and is easily the best gaming bundle deal of the century because of one reason - it has this game and the fact that you won't find a better game than this, I can assure you and anyone who reviews this with a 0 or something like that because of Steam. Steam has greatly changed and improved over the years has no idea of what they're talking about and should go and play CoD and then start talking as it'll change their mind and they will see, just how perfect this game is, just how much it has achieved - awards, game design, technology improvements and innovation as well as being a pure, landmark title that noticeably and simultaneously remarkably stands out from today's games where campaign's last only about 6 hours or less (compared to Half Life 2's length of approximately 25 hours or more) and do not care about their fans or the fact that the game is complete garbage and continue not to fix or upgrade it. Having said all this... there's still not enough to be said or praised about this title, what it represents, how much it has made known gaming as an activity/hobby, achieved - i.e. (that is) famous, just how good it is and how it deserves to be played by anyone who is interested in anything or any certain type of game as this game is simply put, as the best game that has ever come out and existed and will contine to be so for centuries to come, having its name yelled out and its legacy and origin living on (no pun intended). My PC friends, you will find no better game than this and me constructing long sentences for this game review is completely justified when you understand how good this game is and when you have played it - being immersed and absolutely bewildered at just how good this game is - if I haven't said it enough ALREADY - THIS game is good, more than good, in fact if I could rate it 20/10 I would do so but that would lead to an improper fraction and also metacritic doesn't let me :(

Overall, that is all. BUY NOW as YOU WON'T REGRET IT, if I haven't convinced you enough - look at the all other positive reviews and take these facts for one: highest metacritic scoring game - EVER, most awards and impressive achievement shown and won by a game, biggest PC community - mods and support and made from ValvE - the people who implemented Steam - a download client program for PC (like XBox Live for Windows) and made many Source game-engine based games that were successful and have been continuing to make blockbuster sequels since then including continuing and expanding this 'Half-Life' game into a series and they are known for much, much more other stuff and being the most awesome people on the planet that make games for gamers by gamers as they say, a great development team and/or publisher of their own games and/or work, need I say more about this game or ValvE... ?!
  3. Jun 16, 2011
    This game is a must have it gives a combination of puzzle and shooter. the puzzles are generally physic based and let those who are nerdiest of all shine. while the shooting is great but unfortunately slow to start. but once your well into the game you'll have loads of fun shooting and puzzling through a great story line. this is easily a 10 no question.
  4. Nov 26, 2010
    Alright, i am responding to most of the negative reviewers out there. i have read them. Half of them are about steam. in 2004. These days, steam has improved and is now usable, along with a built in social network. Dont blame the installation. Blame the game. Now i agree... The graphics are aged a bit... but, you dont complain about a fine wine being aged, do you? Now you know thatAlright, i am responding to most of the negative reviewers out there. i have read them. Half of them are about steam. in 2004. These days, steam has improved and is now usable, along with a built in social network. Dont blame the installation. Blame the game. Now i agree... The graphics are aged a bit... but, you dont complain about a fine wine being aged, do you? Now you know that the game works on middle-high range computers. Being overrated and overadverstised...i dont see any commercials for it, or for when it came out. WoW? Yes, i most certainly did. Physics, no bullet penetration...thats real life...items that fall to the ground depending on weight and gravity...thats real life too! You cant say that about most other modern games. Also, these days, modern games are shipped out in a few generic catagories; Warfare(MW2,Bad Company,Black Ops) WWII(CoD, RUSE)Sci-Fi(Starcraft, Star Wars),Attemped survival horror(Doom3)And Low Budget(Big Rigs OTRR). Half life is a step above because of its individualism. it also has elements from some of those catagories. Its a shooter with warfare scifi elements. Also, FEAR was good, but Far Cry was a peice of Sh*t, and Half Life is the only game ive played that doesnt feel the same as every other game ive played. Expand
  5. BMF
    Apr 7, 2011
    If only all single player shooters could be this great. HL2 is the shining gold example of storytelling and game play all fused into the perfect package.
  6. Apr 27, 2011
    This is the only game that i can play again and again without getting bored. It has it all: great gameplay, great story, very well-shaped characters and dialogue and an epic soundtrack. Playing this game really puts you in a specific state of mind. Long live Gordon Freeman and his trusty crowbar!
  7. Jun 28, 2011
    Gordon Freeman is THE legend. Half-Life two isTHE revolution. The original Half-Life is the game that brought fame and attention to first person shooter, and has gotten this game genre the hype it deserves. Half-Life 2 defines how first person shooter should develope. Simply put, Half-Life changed it all.
  8. BenF
    Apr 20, 2010
    This game is FPS at its best! No matter how many times you play it, youll either crap your pants or have your mind explode out of the sheer awesomeness of this game!! Incredible puzzles, Frightful and disgusting enemies, superb dialogue, and best of all a gun like no other that allows you to turn every day items to super destructive items of terror!!! I dont care if you're the This game is FPS at its best! No matter how many times you play it, youll either crap your pants or have your mind explode out of the sheer awesomeness of this game!! Incredible puzzles, Frightful and disgusting enemies, superb dialogue, and best of all a gun like no other that allows you to turn every day items to super destructive items of terror!!! I dont care if you're the world's greatest gamer, if you havnt played this game...you havnt lived yet. Expand
  9. Feb 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The BEST Game Ever made.... Agree ? I hope that everyone agree. ............................................................................................................................................................................................................... Expand
  10. Dec 26, 2010
    Half-Life 2 is so much more than a game, because you end up forgetting it's a game. You just keep playing it again and again starving for some more. HL2 is not just about mindless shooting and killing... VALVe offers you one of the most diverse gameplay: each chapter has its own mechanics and new weapons, real NEW weapons: they're not just more powerful, they're really different (as theHalf-Life 2 is so much more than a game, because you end up forgetting it's a game. You just keep playing it again and again starving for some more. HL2 is not just about mindless shooting and killing... VALVe offers you one of the most diverse gameplay: each chapter has its own mechanics and new weapons, real NEW weapons: they're not just more powerful, they're really different (as the gravity gun). The story is great and very immersing: you know who you are, what you must do and why you do it... It isn't like: "Hey! that's the story! keep doing whatever you were doing! (mindless killing in most cases)". The AI isn't great, that's agreed, but it's somehow acceptable because it's not at the center of the game. The graphics are getting old too but it's very well done (I still play the first Half-Life: it doesn't matter) and the physics are still great, actually it's really the only game where you have a real interactivity with the physics. Expand
  11. VahagnM.
    Nov 20, 2004
    Best game ever.
  12. Jul 4, 2011
    This game has set the standard in first person shooters the story line is deep the mechanics are unique and all other FPS fall short to the quality of this game. If you haven't played this game yet mistakes were made, also look out for Episode 3/Half-Life 3 it will be epic with today's Graphics.
  13. Apr 29, 2011
    The most awesome game ever made so far!!!! Deserves a 10 and it will get one from me. Excellent story, characters and the story combined with the peril of humanity made the game extremely immersive and an excellent play.
  14. Jun 13, 2011
    Without a doubt the greatest video game of all time. People argue that older games like Mario, or Zelda are superior to it, but if given the choice of having to play a game 15+ years old or a game that was only released in the past few years, you'd pick the newer game.

Half Life 2 is packed with great graphics, puzzles, dialogue, weapons, and game-play. To not enjoy this game would be like punching Jesus in the face.

And you wouldn't want to punch Jesus in the face, would you?
  15. Apr 23, 2011
    Short and sweet review, 6 1/2 years after its intial release...Half-life 2 is one of the best games of its time, from its story to the action and "cutscenes". I actually loaded it back up and played the game for the first time in several years and it was still refreshingly fun, quirky, and decently paced, There wasn't a single aspect of the game that I did not like nor could find anyShort and sweet review, 6 1/2 years after its intial release...Half-life 2 is one of the best games of its time, from its story to the action and "cutscenes". I actually loaded it back up and played the game for the first time in several years and it was still refreshingly fun, quirky, and decently paced, There wasn't a single aspect of the game that I did not like nor could find any annoyances with it besides slow loading times, and the DLC episodes were really enjoyable, I hope HL3 is in development or a HL2: EP3, because I would love to continue exploring the half-life world. Expand
  16. Apr 24, 2011
    Many years later and this is still one of my favorite games out there. At the time this games Engine was the only one that truly used Physics, Friction, and buoyancy all together at the same time correctly. I hear people saying how this games physics engine is starting to age and needs to be replaced, first off there constantly doing updates to the engine to make it more "correct" and toMany years later and this is still one of my favorite games out there. At the time this games Engine was the only one that truly used Physics, Friction, and buoyancy all together at the same time correctly. I hear people saying how this games physics engine is starting to age and needs to be replaced, first off there constantly doing updates to the engine to make it more "correct" and to enable new features and second there are new well known games coming out now that still don't match up to this engine. Hell the new COD MW games physics don't match up to this, there creators even admit that they don't want to spend the time and money on creating a newer advance engine. Any way the story is great, game play is great, the whole freaking experience of this game made me happy. I just wish they would give us some info on the Half-Life 3 / HL2 EP3 game....At least let us know that they are working on it... but any way very good game will always be in my top five. Keep it up Valve. your one of the last true video game makers out there don't let business get in the way of quality Expand
  17. Apr 25, 2011
    Even with an engine that's now 7 years old now Half-Life 2 is still amazing. This game is a must buy, must play and must love. It was the best game Ever until Portal 2 showed up.... But I KNOW Episode Three will be the best game I'll ever play. The story of this game is just.... incredible, breathtaking. The best game of the past decade. You've got to buy it.... NOW!
  18. Apr 29, 2011
    Best game I've ever played, without a doubt. I know this game as if it was the back of my own hand, perhaps better! If you haven't played this game, you've missed out. Get it as soon as you can!
  19. CRL
    Jul 24, 2011
    Easily one of my favorite games of all time; Half Life 2 incorporates everything it possibly can into an FPS. There are vehicle chases, (mostly) intelligent AI, and a storyline better than some books. Technologyically, the 2004 graphics still feel fine compared to newer games, and that age means that it won't lag on almost any system. A classic all around.
  20. Mar 7, 2012
    I recently replayed this game, and I had forgotten how great it was! While it wasn't as good as Half-Life, it still deserves a 10/10 for great gameplay, a good challenge, good graphics, a great story, and an overall fun game.
  21. Jan 1, 2012
    With Half-ife 2 Valve proved that Half-life wasnt just a lucky shot. It is a worthy successor, a promise for more to follow and that valve cares of their comunity. Every single aspect of what made Half-Life 1 special was taken care of, enhanced and implemented into Half-Life 2. They kept their special way of storytelling, not interupting the gameplay much, but letting the player exploreWith Half-ife 2 Valve proved that Half-life wasnt just a lucky shot. It is a worthy successor, a promise for more to follow and that valve cares of their comunity. Every single aspect of what made Half-Life 1 special was taken care of, enhanced and implemented into Half-Life 2. They kept their special way of storytelling, not interupting the gameplay much, but letting the player explore just as much of the universe as he likes to. A universe that keeps continuously growing during HL1-2, the episode addons and even Portal since it is also playing in the very same fictional Universe.

Technically it is not trying too fancy stuff but manages to be beautiful and very functional at the same time.
  22. May 18, 2011
    In times where it's rare that a sequel is better than the original. Half-Life 2 pulls off that feat with ease--well ahead of its time. Put this on your bucket list if you've never played it.
  23. May 18, 2011
    Half-Life 2 is a masterpiece of the FPS genre, i still remember my first playtrough, when i was amazed by the graphics, physics, the characters, their awesome voice acting, etc.

If i wanted to get someone into gaming i would show him/her hl2

thx valve for creating this!
  24. Jun 10, 2011
    Half-Life 2 is a good game. What do I try to trick? It is an awesome game! Even in 2010 it offers so much. So, lets start with the good things.

Half-Life 2 has nice graphics but you can have a bad computer to play it. It also has a beautiful storyline and there are no cutscenes in this game. That is good because you feel like... you are Gordon Freeman and in the center of... everything. This game has 15 chapters... well 14 because chapter 15 is the credits. Many of you will agree that the scariest chapter is ' ' We Don' t Go To Ravenholm...' ' . I think it doesn' t fit there where it is but they put the chapter in to show the physics.

The bad things. Is Gordon Freeman a Superman that he can drive and open doors without hands? Sometimes it is boring to listen other characters because they talk too much. Little graphical failures and they are the bad things. Thanks VALVe for this fantastic game and I am waiting the Episode Three.
    Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 10
    Sounds: 9
    Story: 10
  25. May 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic sequel of a gaming-revolution Half-life. After 6 years, we all got the game all of us expected. And the sequel is even better than the HL! Deep Sci-fi atmosphere, fantastic plot, great realistic graphics, soundtrack and sounds, also animation & dialogs - all this make this game perfect! Today we must say HL2 is one of the best games ever! Expand
  26. May 21, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. Awesome story, awesome gameplay, awesome voicing, awesome graphics at that time. simply awesome.

ps. bah on the 150 min length.
  27. Jan 15, 2012
    Best game ever made. Are Valve games are 90+ but Half-Life 2 is the best Valve game. I finished 15-16 times. This game contains a lot of new things when you play it again and again.
  28. Mar 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you want falling in love buy this game!
    The first and the best!
    Gordon Freeman will became your hero!

.....................................................................
  29. Feb 5, 2012
    What's so great about Half-Life 2 is that for some reason, you never get bored. If it was me to say, I'd think it's because of the fantastic, strong and stable story which always makes you wanting more to know about it. Characters have really their own personalities, the physics system of Source SDK is that good that it's truly one of the most important factors of the game. Valve knew whatWhat's so great about Half-Life 2 is that for some reason, you never get bored. If it was me to say, I'd think it's because of the fantastic, strong and stable story which always makes you wanting more to know about it. Characters have really their own personalities, the physics system of Source SDK is that good that it's truly one of the most important factors of the game. Valve knew what to do, and they exploded through all the First-Person shooters, even today! Expand
  30. Jan 5, 2012
    This game goes beyond words by how amazing it is. I actually like this game better than The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (mostly because I suck at that game). Everything about this game is just about perfect. The gameplay, the graphics, the music (what little there is), the story, everything. What really disappoints me is that once games such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, andThis game goes beyond words by how amazing it is. I actually like this game better than The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (mostly because I suck at that game). Everything about this game is just about perfect. The gameplay, the graphics, the music (what little there is), the story, everything. What really disappoints me is that once games such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and Halo 3 came out, everyone seemed to forget about this near perfect game. Why this is disappointing is because this game is actually better than both of them. To be honest, this is not my favorite video game of all time. Super Smash Bros. Brawl still beats it. However, it doesn't beat this game by much. When the chips are down, this game could still top most competition. I really want the Halo and Call of Duty fans to try this game out, and see if this is really better than both of those games. If you are one of those fans, and you have tried this game out, say yes if this game is really better than Halo or Call of Duty. If it's not better to you, say no, or don't vote at all. It's your choice. Expand
  31. Mar 4, 2012
    what is half life 2? not only is it original, atmospheric and beautiful, it keeps you sucked in to the game at all times (provided that you listen to the story line). the only people i know who would hate this game are-surprise, surprise- the CoD fanboys. the only thing they seem to have against it is "it's too boring" or "it just sucks because it's not CoD". boring? to not be bored atwhat is half life 2? not only is it original, atmospheric and beautiful, it keeps you sucked in to the game at all times (provided that you listen to the story line). the only people i know who would hate this game are-surprise, surprise- the CoD fanboys. the only thing they seem to have against it is "it's too boring" or "it just sucks because it's not CoD". boring? to not be bored at half life 2, please LISTEN TO THE STORY. then you won't get bored! hows that for logic and reasoning, kiddies? this game will keep you playing, and playing, and playing, because this game is as atmospheric, thrilling, scary, and original as FPS shooting will ever get. screw the media, telling you that "CoD is the best FPS out there", or the little kids constantly bashing other games, because they think CoD is the best (even though they haven't played anything else), because they are wrong. they always have been. Expand
  32. Mar 7, 2012
    An amazing game. I spent countless hours playing this when it first came out, I dont know if it still holds up today, but still a game that everyone should play.
  33. Mar 8, 2012
    Eagles Scream! This was one of the most thrilling games ever, Episode one and two are even better. Graphical wise this game is really neat. And the AI is sublime.
  34. May 19, 2012
    Awards: The Best FPS of 2004, The Best Technical Graphics of 2004, The Best Virtual Characters of 2004. An unforgettable FPS with stunning graphics, outstanding sandbox gameplay and with some memorable characters. The story is perfectly done. Gordon Freeman is back, in the City 17, trying to escape from it. Barney, an old friend of Gordon, rescues him by taking him to a room, and he meetsAwards: The Best FPS of 2004, The Best Technical Graphics of 2004, The Best Virtual Characters of 2004. An unforgettable FPS with stunning graphics, outstanding sandbox gameplay and with some memorable characters. The story is perfectly done. Gordon Freeman is back, in the City 17, trying to escape from it. Barney, an old friend of Gordon, rescues him by taking him to a room, and he meets virtually the Doctor, nicknamed Doc. It is a stunning experience, and creepy. There are some AI enemies, like crabs, crabs zombies etc. There are also AI enemy humans from Black Mesa. Expand
  35. May 18, 2012
    I've just replayed HL2 again for about the 10th time and can honestly say it still provides more entertainment, story and game play mechanics than any other FPS in recent times I can think of. Yes - it's a linear shooter, and there is nothing wrong with that if you understand how to do a linear shooter. We don't need constant screen hints telling us we have "Jump here" or "Crouch behindI've just replayed HL2 again for about the 10th time and can honestly say it still provides more entertainment, story and game play mechanics than any other FPS in recent times I can think of. Yes - it's a linear shooter, and there is nothing wrong with that if you understand how to do a linear shooter. We don't need constant screen hints telling us we have "Jump here" or "Crouch behind this rock". We don't need radars or flashing arrows on the screen telling us where to go. FPS games these days are aimed towards people who can't think and need to be told how to do everything. In HL2, yes we follow a linear path, but we also left to think for ourselves, solve little puzzles and even sometimes take on a kind of platforming style unlike COD (and many others) games where we just watch the fancy explosions and get told where to go and what to do (and I just had to laugh at his comment in another review - "The story's nothing special either. Although it's linear, there's no objectives so it's possible to get lost on where to go/what to do" - My point exacaly, because you have to think for yourself !). HL2 gets the cinematic approach spot on, makes us feel like we are part of the story where other FPS games makes us feel like we are just sat there watching a shallow action film. Every enemy in the game has to be approached differently, unlike most other shooters where you just aim and hold down the trigger and again watch the fancy explosions and gibs flying everywhere. And to moan about the graphics ??? Seriously ? Why is it that's all people care about these days. To me this game still looks great even today (8 years later is it ? I can't remember the release date atm), and if you don't like it check out the great MOD community (Cinematic mod). So if you like to think for yourself and actually take part in something called game play, this game is for you. If you like a dumb shooter where you constantly told what to do and are impressed more with graphics and explosions, stick to your COD games. Expand
  36. Dec 31, 2013
    The Game That Started it all for me, and got me On to steam. Love This game over and over again. I can play this game, but it is frustrating at moments, just when I think I cant pass a part I figure it out no problem.
  37. Jan 3, 2014
    Half-Life 2... Where do I start. Even now I am still in awe by just how amazing this game is. I wish I could rate this something like 9.9/10; if it weren't for a few minor things than it would have gotten my full appraisal.

The gameplay is varied, you could either be trying to avoid walking on sand to attract antlions, driving around in different vehicles, or shooting through hoards of zombies/combine. Along with this, the game uses a physics engine to make gameplay varied, either in puzzles or in combat.
    The story is immersive, well paced, and interesting. Superb dialogue. Along with all of this, the game looks and runs very well.

The game had minor faults. Some areas would feel a little too long, i found myself really only using the shotgun and SMG, the other weapons I would use only once my ammo ran out. The rocket launcher I used basically when I absolutely needed to e.g when trying to take down a helicopter. The ending was great, but left more questions than answers.

Overall, the game was just astounding and surprisingly good. If you are a fan of first person shooters you need to play Half-Life 2.
  38. Apr 21, 2011
    This is one of the greatest, if not the greatest game of all times. This game just rocks. From the beginning to the end. It's just........ Perfect!
  39. Apr 19, 2011
    The greatest game to date. I discovered this game only last year and it changed it set the infinitely high bar for all FPS to come. Half Life 2 has the most immerse and captivating story line of any video game, and ideas beyond brilliant. The game makes me angry, and happy, delivers satisfaction and is mind wracking at the same time. A beautiful blend of story, interaction and violence. MyThe greatest game to date. I discovered this game only last year and it changed it set the infinitely high bar for all FPS to come. Half Life 2 has the most immerse and captivating story line of any video game, and ideas beyond brilliant. The game makes me angry, and happy, delivers satisfaction and is mind wracking at the same time. A beautiful blend of story, interaction and violence. My absolute compliments to Valve for the cheat engine as well, I had A LOT of fun after the campaign just messing with cheats and mods.

But really Valve RELEASE EPISODE 3 GODDAMMIT
  40. Jun 8, 2011
    This is maybe the best game ever made. All in this game is perfect. This game changed the FPS genre that we know today. One of the best elements to tell a story in an FPS that was carried over recent games.
  41. Jun 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superbe jeu, à découvrir ou à redécouvrir, découvert a sa sortie, je viens de le redécouvrir avec une carte graphique nouvelle génération, que du bonheur ! Expand
  42. Jun 14, 2011
    This is a great game. If you don't appreciate the great story and gameplay, you are not a true gamer. Call of Duty is crap compared to Half Life. The graphics are great, even by today's standards. Even though it's old, Valve knows their engine, and this enables them to have good graphics and low system requirements. Graphics don't make the game though; gameplay does, and this gameThis is a great game. If you don't appreciate the great story and gameplay, you are not a true gamer. Call of Duty is crap compared to Half Life. The graphics are great, even by today's standards. Even though it's old, Valve knows their engine, and this enables them to have good graphics and low system requirements. Graphics don't make the game though; gameplay does, and this game definitely has some of the best gameplay ever. Expand
  43. Aug 8, 2011
    There isn't much to say here, Gordon Freeman is a god.
    Valve really outdid themselves with Half-Life 2. Never a dull moment, the action segments are riveting and there's no shortage of puzzles to solve.
  44. Feb 4, 2012
    Half-Life 2 is simply amazing. I've noticed some reviewers (one in particular) mentioned that Half-Life 2 "has no storyline". Well, I have one question to ask : are you retarded?

Anyway, Half-Life 2 = Amazing. The graphics are good! People have to realise that Half-Life 2 was released in 2004. It does not have the graphics that we have today. Half-Life 2 provides excellent voice acting from all the cast, including the great Merle Dandridge (Alyx Vance).

Half-Life 2 also has famous actors such as Robert Culp and Robert Guillaume. Half-Life 2 earned 39 Game of the Year awards. This shows that, well, Half-Life 2 is damn awesome.

Great gameplay, great storyline, great voice acting, great soundtrack. Great. Buy this game!
  45. Nov 9, 2011
    This game is one of the greatest games i ever played, its so huge and so immersing, you really feel like your the character that your playing and Alyx is just the best female character in a game because its doesnt appeal to sex but appeal to women that they can be brave, intelligent and pratical and also she looks like my girlfriend :P but anyways its a great game and im hopping to ValveThis game is one of the greatest games i ever played, its so huge and so immersing, you really feel like your the character that your playing and Alyx is just the best female character in a game because its doesnt appeal to sex but appeal to women that they can be brave, intelligent and pratical and also she looks like my girlfriend :P but anyways its a great game and im hopping to Valve to release the final episode of this series because i want revenge on what happen in Ep2. Expand
  46. Feb 20, 2012
    I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. This game is great, period. I would consider it art that should be preserved through the centuries. I'll remember this game when I'm an old man wandering around in my underwear inside a department store.
  47. Jan 23, 2012
    Okay let me get down to it Half Life 2 is practicably flawless. The graphics are great and give some really great effects especially with the physics engine 10 out of 10. The sound design is beautiful from crashing buildings to the moans of striders in the distance. Voice acting is also top notch 10 out of 10. The level design is top notch in every area in the game i have a few problemsOkay let me get down to it Half Life 2 is practicably flawless. The graphics are great and give some really great effects especially with the physics engine 10 out of 10. The sound design is beautiful from crashing buildings to the moans of striders in the distance. Voice acting is also top notch 10 out of 10. The level design is top notch in every area in the game i have a few problems with one part but that's just me. 10 out of 10. The game play is amazing its always surprising from level to level there are parts were you will be in a car running over giant alien bugs, then in a town alone with no ammo and full of zombies, then to a full out wars and great puzzles. This deserves a 10 out of 10. The final part of my review the brilliant story. Just like Half Life 1 its all toward from the players perspective Gordon Freeman with no cut scenes. Without spoiling to much its been twenty years after the first game and a alien race called the Combine have enslaved humanity on its on planet forcing people to work as slaves. That is all i will reveal the rest is up to you to find out. It gets a 10 out of 10. So this game gets a 10 out of 10. Expand
  48. Feb 3, 2012
    My gaming experience was strictly separated with HL2 in "before" and "after". No other game could give that much fun, excitement and pleasure so far. And I doubt there will be one.

I even agree for an experiment -- to loose all the gaming experience I have for now and remember only HL2. Because one journey of Mr. Freeman costs so much.
  49. Feb 12, 2012
    There is no better game in the world. It combines elements from almost all genres, from first person shooters to puzzles. The game has some horror elements, and some parts that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. This game has something for everyone.
    The game itself is pretty good. For being released so long ago, the physics and graphics aren't as bad as you would think. Actually, they're pretty nice. In my whole time playing I've never seen a texture glitch, or an error in the physics. It can run pretty good with an out of date computer too. You don't need to steal a computer from NASA to play this game well. In fact, that dinosaur of a computer you keep in your back room or basement could probably run this fine.
    When you're playing the game, you know A LOT of time went into designing and planning this game. It seems that whoever made the game knew which turn you would make before you made it, and planned for it accordingly. The design of the levels are so complex and interesting that I don't know how any human being could create something so amazing. You may walk through a door and find that the hallway ahead is blocked, so you take around five or ten minutes navigating through air vents and dark rooms, only to find yourself popping out right on the other side of the blocked hallway. Ten minutes to move ten feet.
    The characters in the game also add to the amazing feel that the game gives you. The characters really find a way to connect to you in this game. It gets to the point where you actually feel like you're Gordon Freeman. It makes you want to laugh and cry with the other characters. The emotions that the game conveys are amazing.
    To sum it all up, this game is amazing. Absolutely amazing. I could not recommend this game anymore. This game is easily my favorite game of all time. If you have a little money to spare, this is the absolute perfect thing to invest your money in. Every second you play it will be worth it.
  50. Apr 28, 2012
    Where do I start. In 1997 Valve made its debut with its legendary title Half Life. The Game sparked a new era of gaming, and redefined the First Person Shooter by going well and beyond just shooting. Any one who played Half life, and immersed themselves in the experience would understand this. Then in 2004, Half Life 2 is released to the public, throwing the player into aWhere do I start. In 1997 Valve made its debut with its legendary title Half Life. The Game sparked a new era of gaming, and redefined the First Person Shooter by going well and beyond just shooting. Any one who played Half life, and immersed themselves in the experience would understand this. Then in 2004, Half Life 2 is released to the public, throwing the player into a post-apocalyptic earth. Let me make my opinion up front. Half Life 2 is positively the best First Person Shooter that I have ever experienced in my life. With its ground breaking graphics, which still compete with games of today. Its advanced AI systems. Its superb voice actors. Its intense gameplay. All "COMBINE" with each other to form an amazing experience. There is only one issue with the company Valve, and that is that they take forever to make a video game. However, the end result seems to justify their means of achieving it. All UPHOLD THE UNIVERSAL UNION! Expand
  51. Jan 3, 2014
    Quite possibly the best FPS ever made. People below and above this who have rated it 5 to 0 have either been influenced by how bad Steam used to be (which I can really understand, 3-5 hours installation time is really going to change your overall opinion of a game) and have not remebered that this game was made in 2004. For the time it was released, the story, AI, graphics and physicsQuite possibly the best FPS ever made. People below and above this who have rated it 5 to 0 have either been influenced by how bad Steam used to be (which I can really understand, 3-5 hours installation time is really going to change your overall opinion of a game) and have not remebered that this game was made in 2004. For the time it was released, the story, AI, graphics and physics engine were exceptional and such quality in a game was unheard of. If you want more up-to-date versions of this game that continue the storyline and improve texture quality (and a good chance to see what Steam as it was then turned into; a brilliant idea that other publishers then took up, such as Uplay [Ubisoft], Origin [EA] and the XBOX LIVE Marketplace [Microsoft]) then get Steam and knock yourself out with Half Life: Episode 1 and Half Life: Episode 2. Expand
  52. Jwv
    Jan 18, 2014
    Probably the best single-player game I have ever played on PC. The Source engine has a great eye for detail; portrays a realistic picture of a totalitarian regime, which kindles a real sense of sympathy with the rebels; a squad-system (although not the best); likeable, unique and realistic characters; varied gameplay and locations with some particularly epic parts like Ravenholm (whichProbably the best single-player game I have ever played on PC. The Source engine has a great eye for detail; portrays a realistic picture of a totalitarian regime, which kindles a real sense of sympathy with the rebels; a squad-system (although not the best); likeable, unique and realistic characters; varied gameplay and locations with some particularly epic parts like Ravenholm (which even now, 10 years later, still gives me the creeps), the hovercraft and buggy scenes, and your first Strider-confrontation; cool weapons; smart AI; an enormous amount of different enemies to shoot; a great story; a great momentum in the game (action-packed and serene scenes alternate nicely); an enjoyable soundtrack adapted to every moment (cf. combat, Ravenholm, etc.), good voice-acting and great sound-effects (anyone not creeped out by the zombie-dogs?); smart puzzles (but just some really stand out), great use of physics; and one of the best first hours of gameplay ever (with a great sense of dependence, realism and adrenaline). Expand
  53. Feb 5, 2014
    Only two games ever I can say that the second I finished playing, that I just started over immediately, being this and Super Metroid. Half Life 2 is just one of those games that gets everything right. To find fault, one must look pretty hard. Valve brilliantly incorporated it's source engine in their true masterpiece.

When you find truly good games, you of ten find things put in by

When you find truly good games, you of ten find things put in by the developers to enhance the realism. For example, in Metroid Prime, Samus's reflection can be seen during flashes of light and certain events. She also interacts with her arm cannon if you wait around long enough, creating the whole image that Samus isn't just what you tell her to do. This is evident in HL2 in spades. Explosions deafen you, guns wield realistically, and infinite amounts of care went into character's expressions and tone of voice.

This game is truly an instant classic that has an amazing story, well developed characters, awesome gameplay, and truly impressive depth. This game is good to the core.
  54. Feb 15, 2015
    Превосходная игра. В те года невозможно было представить нечто подобное, но Valve удалось
  55. May 6, 2012
    This game is perfect. Simply perfect.
    Amazing graphics which are beautiful even on weak PCs because of compatibility and greatly designed Source graphics engine. The story is great, voice acting is above average and sound quality breathtaking.
  56. Dec 9, 2011
    No doubt that this is the best game ever build. The lengthy single play game gives you everything you would expect from a shooter; great action scenes, a diversity of good weapons, horror scenes, a great physics engine and so on. This is a game that raised the bar and is up to today still very enjoyable to play.
  57. Dec 7, 2011
    Thinking of buying HL2? Please do - it's one of the best games ever made. The 4,293 other users and the 96/100 metacritic score justify my opinion. Definitely worth the purchase.
  58. Feb 17, 2012
    This is a masterpiece of gaming, I love this game for anything that may be in the games! Audience of many millions of fans will attest, for which this game has become something more than just a good game, it's a good childhood memory ... 3
  59. Feb 14, 2015
    BEST GAME EVER MADE FOR ANY CONSOLE. It's as simple as that.
    The whole half-life series is great, but this one, this one is beyond just awesome, it's perfect. it's the best game ever developed.
  60. Zex
    May 6, 2006
    It are best single player game ah when i remember those playing days with gordon freeman i am sad because in Episode 1 now i hawe to play with alyx i will yearning for gordon and oll those playing days on HL2.
  61. FlamingAngel
    Aug 9, 2006
    I like the dinamic grapich ^-^ i even played Episode one and it was better =3 so you shud play it or die =3
  62. M.Braun
    Mar 30, 2006
    Atmosphere top, graphics top. Still played in age of 2 years. Can games like FEAR and others beat that? no.
  63. CosinusPlaygroundWarrior
    May 10, 2006
    Best 1ST Person Shooter I've ever played. I really liked the Raven Holm Chapter. ~I Don't Face Anything Else Than My Monitor~
  64. VinceK.
    May 30, 2006
    Best features are realistic environments and life-like gameplay! I love it!
  65. SebastianF.
    Jun 2, 2006
    This is without a doubt the best PC game ever made. A worhty follow up to the first Half-Life game. With graphics as sophisticated as the gameplay - this is a winner.
  66. ElliotM.
    Jun 2, 2006
    If anybody ever asks me for proof that videogames can be art, I will point to Half-Life 2.
  67. MikeW.
    Jun 5, 2006
    As easy as I can put it this game break the wall and limits of 1-10 rating and really gets a rare 11 pout of 10 again! Don't miss out and fill bad if your some blind dumb ass like IGN that rates it high but don't say why they rated it 2 down from the normal. Really people no game is perfect but this game is perfect and fun and po0ut of this world. There are few words for how As easy as I can put it this game break the wall and limits of 1-10 rating and really gets a rare 11 pout of 10 again! Don't miss out and fill bad if your some blind dumb ass like IGN that rates it high but don't say why they rated it 2 down from the normal. Really people no game is perfect but this game is perfect and fun and po0ut of this world. There are few words for how great this game really I Expand
  68. ArmageddonP.
    Jun 5, 2006
    This game wasn't as gamebreaking as the first(but remember that was a long time ago before games of this genre could have these high of expectations), but honestly its nowhere near from far off. An amazing game that will make you play it from beginning to end.
  69. Krillan
    Jun 23, 2007
    Fantastic!!!
  70. Aaron
    Jun 7, 2007
    If you could only play one game, this is probably the one you should play.
  71. AexK.
    Jul 11, 2007
    Just awesome. The game runs in front of you like a book. Great storyline, great charachters, great gameplay. I would rate it 100 out of 10 if I could.
  72. jeanbernard
    Aug 30, 2007
    Exelent
  73. KennyK.
    Dec 3, 2006
    I found this game extremely entertaining and the ability to surprise me. To me the story of a game is very important, maybe even more important than the gameplay, but this game gave me a new standard to follow (AGAIN), when revieiwing games, which new games has a very hard time following up to!
  74. NathanS.
    Sep 6, 2008
    One of the best games Ive ever played
  75. DavidL
    Feb 5, 2009
    Half-Life2 Have a good Story like Half-Life1. very good game play and Grafic. The map diesing is very good. it give just one think wich one can be better The grafic and game play from cars and ship.
  76. AnonymousMC
    Apr 17, 2004
    By only playing the beta of this game I could tell that it is going to be one of the best games ever created, if not, THE best.
    This game ushers in a new era in which graphics and gameplay go hand in hand like NEVER before. Physichs and recoil affect the world permanently... as does the jaw dropping AI and the scription-free sequences.
    When this game is gonna come out, the next step in
    When this game is gonna come out, the next step in gaming evolution will be upon us!
  77. TelmoC.
    Oct 31, 2006
    The best game in the world.
  78. AdamM.
    May 10, 2006
    An excellent game! The graphics are beyond any game which I have even seen to this date, May 2006. It is ahead of its time, has great gameplay, and is very realistic. However, it is not Half-Life 1, and is definately not as good. Still, if you are a REAL gamer, you have at least the Gold copy of this game!
  79. JustusR.
    May 10, 2006
    This game is superb. The atmosphere is great, and the story pulls you in your computer, just like half life 1. Again it is a great combination of puzzling, story and combat action, that makes the game so interesting. Despite the fact that this genre is being overpopulated with games, half life still remains the king!
  80. LukeM.
  81. JonW.
    May 10, 2006
    Simply breathtaking. The immerssion is nothing like i've ever seen before. My only conern is the all too regular moments where you have to load the 'next level' - kinda breaks the flow alot, but the rest is so good - it easily deserves 10!
  82. LukeM.
    May 9, 2006
  83. TonyM.
    May 9, 2006
    Better graphics and detail smooth and slik ..good new mines and weapons....but no no no no no way is it long enough need more levels more story and .... i need more.
  84. JoséA.
    Jan 14, 2007
    The best game I'am Played When we finished, we get moore very good graphics, best story, and better surprises...jumps in the chair.
  85. PhilipM.
    Jan 15, 2007
    Though this game did receive a 10 from me, I am going to start by stating the very obvious: STEAM was a terrible idea. The requirement of an Internet connection to play a game that one has no intention of playing over the Internet is a monumentally stupid idea. I am, however, rating the GAME and not the method by which it is played. When I first played Half-Life 2, I was completely blown Though this game did receive a 10 from me, I am going to start by stating the very obvious: STEAM was a terrible idea. The requirement of an Internet connection to play a game that one has no intention of playing over the Internet is a monumentally stupid idea. I am, however, rating the GAME and not the method by which it is played. When I first played Half-Life 2, I was completely blown away by not only the graphics and physics engine, but I was also captivated by it's enthralling story line and by how much one actually feels like they're experiencing something, rather than playing it. The in-game cinematics lent a seamless quality to the game. Though the game exhibits long load times, it is a work of art and worth the wait. If you have a way to play it without STEAM, do so. If not, oh well. Expand
  86. DamonP.
    Jul 24, 2008
    To put it simply i love this game. I played it when it came with the orange box 4 years after it debut, its way better than halo 3, call of duty 4 or any of that. This game is the best
  87. Sam
    Dec 16, 2006
    Greatest shooter ever with plenty of originality. Also Genuinely scary at times.
  88. StephenJ.
    Oct 22, 2006
    An excellent game, though I thought it was crashing my computer at first, but it turned out it wasnt so I could install it again, I was soo happy.
  89. JasperJ.
    Dec 26, 2006
    This game is REALLY exciting, because it has a good story line, good graphics, good sound, everything in this game is good! I give it an 10!
  90. AlexP.
    Oct 29, 2006
    One of the best single player FPS shooters out there. If you've never played the original Half-Life game, you won't really understand this. Seems kind of short, then again I spent 20 hours a day on this until I beat it. A must-have.
  91. MichaelL.
    May 12, 2006
    This game has changed the way people will look at FPS! the way it encorperates the weight system of every object, the amazing graphics and not to mention the engrossing story line. not playing this game is a crime and ALL halo fans will learn what a FPS game is.
  92. PhilP.
    May 12, 2006
    Incredible! The first game was amazing, and this one had me hooked even before the chopper fight!
  93. YermakirumY.
    May 13, 2006
    Very good game.
  94. AnonymousMC
    May 16, 2006
    This is anintense game. If you haven't herd, valve is using the same kind of technology they used to creat HL2, and making a game called Lost Cost. You can play the test level for free, but once you do you'll want the game. It's not fully released yet, but it will be great. Only people with serious gamming computers can fully enjoy the "art" the creaters put into thisThis is anintense game. If you haven't herd, valve is using the same kind of technology they used to creat HL2, and making a game called Lost Cost. You can play the test level for free, but once you do you'll want the game. It's not fully released yet, but it will be great. Only people with serious gamming computers can fully enjoy the "art" the creaters put into this game. I played it on my friends computer and thought it was cool. got it on mine, and my nVida 6600+ plays it great. The game used shader 1 and 2, without telling you about it. so it's going to use twice the video ram than usual. Expand
  95. LukeM.
    Jan 6, 2007
  96. JamesT.
    Jul 26, 2008
    Just as revolutionary as the original where FPS are concerned. Gripping story, believable AI, amazing graphics, great game play and so much replay value... What else could you as for? Spawned just as many mods, just as many followers and its legacy lives on. Concerning the violence, it is not over the top, and is justified.
  97. AdamJ.
    Aug 12, 2008
    How can any game match up to this? I mean, such a moving first chapter makes you hate the combine and then reunited with old friends from 20 years before. Then some of the scariest zombies there are and an epic ending. Games don't get better than this.
  98. LennyJ.
    Aug 14, 2008
    Its the best game with the best story and picture.
  99. TBear
    Jul 5, 2009
    Half-Life 2 is one of those games which will stay top rated throughout the history of gaming. Great graphics, unique soundsetting, creative ideas and variation of game play. This game has everything a true gamer must desire.
  100. LukeM.
    Aug 11, 2009
  101. Apr 6, 2011
    Anybody who doesn't like this game can go die in a hole. This game is the most-beautifully constructed game ever created, and I have played quite a few beautifully constructed games. The atmosphere is amazing the graphics are unbeatable and the developers are thanked every step of the way. The gameplay is even better and the A.I, are exactly what they are meant to be - ArtificialAnybody who doesn't like this game can go die in a hole. This game is the most-beautifully constructed game ever created, and I have played quite a few beautifully constructed games. The atmosphere is amazing the graphics are unbeatable and the developers are thanked every step of the way. The gameplay is even better and the A.I, are exactly what they are meant to be - Artificial Intelligence. They have smarts and know exactly what to do and when you have loaded even the simplest map on the Hammer Editor you know how much work goes into making this. Collapse