9.2

1. May 26, 2013
    I'm just not as high on this game as everybody else. There is some good FPS fun fighting various kinds of creative enemies. There will be a few moments where you will kill lots of enemies at once with a car, toilet, or bouncy disintegrate thing where you will sit back and admire your work. Some of the guns are still more creative than current FPS guns. However, while its moments are great,I'm just not as high on this game as everybody else. There is some good FPS fun fighting various kinds of creative enemies. There will be a few moments where you will kill lots of enemies at once with a car, toilet, or bouncy disintegrate thing where you will sit back and admire your work. Some of the guns are still more creative than current FPS guns. However, while its moments are great, there is way too much shooting waves of basic soldiers without any of the creative others from a far distance, which is not only boring but annoying because only one gun has sights. There are too few opportunities to use the gravity gun, the very fun weapon which is really the signature piece of this game. And while I said the guns are very creative, they fall to often under the linear spell where they are used in one situation well and disregarded for the rest of the game. Basically this game is fun (and only 10 bucks) but very, very over acclaimed. Expand
  2. Mar 24, 2014
    This is probably one of the best games I have ever played. Just amazing. Incredible story and playability. No critics to this game at all. A masterpiece.
  3. Dec 21, 2013
    Wow, was amazed. The first game I played was the first half life, and it was amazing, accept the old graphics. Half life 2 was even more amazing, the combination of the action and the puzzles were awesome, I have played many modern first person shooter games, but even if it's 10 years old, this is the best. And about the graphics, you can always play cinematic mod.
  4. Mar 6, 2014

Atmosphere 10
    Length 10

Half life 2 is Awesome
  5. Mar 31, 2014
    for a 2004 game, no wonder this game got high scores. very good graphics and gameplay. storyline, very good but half-life 1 is better i think. love alyx though, charming but why cant i carry her when shes down in episode 2? gordon is her to be partner right? no more to talk. this is a very good game. still play it alongside with other new crappy fps games (cods, farcrys, crysis, etc), nofor a 2004 game, no wonder this game got high scores. very good graphics and gameplay. storyline, very good but half-life 1 is better i think. love alyx though, charming but why cant i carry her when shes down in episode 2? gordon is her to be partner right? no more to talk. this is a very good game. still play it alongside with other new crappy fps games (cods, farcrys, crysis, etc), no offence though. however, it is the biggest shame of the century though that they dont continue the half life franchise ~i dunno if they do, still waiting :) come on valve, u guys are like albert einstein in the gaming world, dont stop developing E=mc2 formulas or we wont have any nuclear warheads. if you guys publish the long-waited continuance of half-life franchise, i swear ill buy the original copy of the game, no more jack sparrow dvds or torrents. take your time, but not your fans patience

*my rating here is for half life 2 and its episodes games including the orange box. good job valve!
  6. Apr 22, 2014
    There was something very incredible about the original Half-Life. It was ground breaking for its time because it was the first game I played that really felt alive. Half-Life 2 is a step back in some ways. While it continues the same classic formula of run and gun rail shooter, it however goes back in several areas.
    While it has more of a storyline than Half-Life, its just not very
    While it has more of a storyline than Half-Life, its just not very interesting. The combine are perhaps the most bland enemy I've ever seen, the key problem is they are unmemorable. Like a weaker version of the Strogg (from Quake).

While it has the best physics (which makes sense as you are Gordon Freeman, a theoretical physicist). The game took a nose dive into a completely different locale. The claustrophobia of underground research facility is gone, and some classic aliens don't make a come back (bullsquid/hound eye)... and Vortiguants are friendly -_-

The game also noticeably lacks difficulty, even on hard the game is perhaps the easiest I've ever played.
    Less explosive barrels - Half-Life 1 had a perfect balance. Every time I saw a barrel in Half-Life 2 I knew someone was going to either go near it or hide behind it. Less health kits, once again HL1 had a perfect balance.. here I always find 2-3 to many. Those unlimited ammo/grenade supply crates where so unnecessary.

The mediocre AI.. I want the AI to find ways to circle around me and trap me in corners, flush me out with grenades. The airboat portion in Half-Life 2 was dragged on far too long. In between each section you kill a few easy metro cops and then on you go... like some sort of tech demo.

+Gameplay is fun, and level design is logical
    +Ergonomically designed, so you can play the whole in one sitting
    +Characerisation
    +Very long
    +Ravenholm

-Easy game, even on Hard
    -Bland enemy design for the combine
    -Unmemorable music
    -Mediocre AI

-Physics puzzles brought FPS a interesting twist, but I thought that they really didn't do anything substantial to move the genre forward. Instead it feels like a technical achievement rather than the merging of FPS gameplay and physics in some meaningful way. Using the physics gun to launch objects at enemies is about as far as it goes in this regard. I think future games to come end up achieving something like this more so.

-Why does Gordon have to be a silent protagonist? I feel like it's more a crutch on the story.
  7. Sep 13, 2014
    Half Life is the birth of real FPS.
    If you were around when it came out, no matter how many years have passed, Half Life will always be top of your list in gaming masterpieces.
  8. Aug 11, 2014
    Half-Life 2 is a cool game. Tricky and exciting. I like it. The gravity gun. The big bugs. They are endless and really annoying. But once you kill their momma and take its organ they will all become your slaves. Your loyal army. I really liked that part. But I find the story uninteresting.
  9. Feb 25, 2015
    This is simply the best game ever made. 10 years after release, and no other game has surpassed it yet. The atmosphere, characters and Source engine were all, putting it mildly, revolutionary at the time. They all still hold up well today. Not to mention it CHANGED THE GAMING INDUSTRY, even more so than Half-Life 1 did. Think about it. Without HL2, Steam would probably be dead, in whichThis is simply the best game ever made. 10 years after release, and no other game has surpassed it yet. The atmosphere, characters and Source engine were all, putting it mildly, revolutionary at the time. They all still hold up well today. Not to mention it CHANGED THE GAMING INDUSTRY, even more so than Half-Life 1 did. Think about it. Without HL2, Steam would probably be dead, in which case thousands of indie games would've never been made, let alone gain as much popularity, forcing all those indie developers to stop making games. Without HL2, Valve probably wouldn't have made their other masterpieces (Portal, TF2, L4D, etc.) Without HL2, and its amazing mod support, we wouldn't have gotten the best modding community ever in gaming.
    There are too many good things to say about Half-Life 2, so I'll make a long review short:
    Buy it. Buy it now. Just make sure you play Half-Life 1 beforehand obviously.
  10. Dec 4, 2014
    This game is way overrated, there are so many better games out there. People always praise it for its story and rich dialogue, but unlike Portal (which had me excited to progress through the story and listen to ALL of its witty, funny and overall extremely well acted characters) Half Life 2 was less than mediocre. Good dialogue was few and far between, with most of the speech just beingThis game is way overrated, there are so many better games out there. People always praise it for its story and rich dialogue, but unlike Portal (which had me excited to progress through the story and listen to ALL of its witty, funny and overall extremely well acted characters) Half Life 2 was less than mediocre. Good dialogue was few and far between, with most of the speech just being "look its Gordon Freeman!" or "are you Gordon Freeman?!".... its disappointing to say the least. I'm not counting the graphics because my pc isn't great and the game probably looks amazing on ultra settings but I wouldn't know.

Secondly, the story isn't at all innovative or different, I couldn't care for the characters or the world. I wasn't interested enough to who, what, where, why, when or how for any of the story's components - it's nothing new.

However much anyone says about the gravity gun, to me it will always be a glorified hand - it picks things up and throws them. Apart form that the combat is just like a typical fps although they did a good job with the weapons.

Finally, the gameplay isn't too great: linear level design, empty landscapes, dull environments. I just wanted this game to be over, I didn't enjoy playing it. If you want a gaming masterpiece, check out Portal and Portal 2.
  11. Nov 10, 2011
    Quite outdated now but back in its time,it was a fantastic fps,a thrilling story,great dialogue and easy to master gunplay.

It spawned a huge following and hopefully we will get a sequel sometime in the near future.
  12. OmarM.
    May 9, 2006
    Es un juego perfecto, con gráficas increobles, la única mala noticia es que es algo corto en comparación con hl uno, veremos que continua en la historia con hl episode 1.
  13. Jul 9, 2013
    Meh, it's okay.
    Half-Life 2 does a lot of things right. It looks great, plays great, has a large interconnected world, and has a fairly interesting story with cool characters.
    Meh, it's okay.
    Except the game feels somewhat tedious. Every level is similar to the last later on in the game. You kill the same/similar enemies over and over again. Every now and then there is a driving section to break up the tedium, but those suck.

This game is really overrated. I've played much better FPS games than Half-Life 2; games that were far less tedious and less boring. It's a good game, just not that great.
  14. Jan 13, 2014
    breaking it down:
    hl2 is a brilliant masterpiece, or to be precisely: the engine is the best since...well hl1 i guess.
    the new, sharp looking graphics and awesome, never seen before physics, were state of the art back then and have brought us many, MANY great looking games. apart from this half life 2 is a dumbed down ripoff of the first game, the story is poor/hollywoodstyle with
    breaking it down:

apart from this half life 2 is a dumbed down ripoff of the first game, the story is poor/hollywoodstyle with little surprises.
    even worse: the intend of the devs to make it EPISODE 1(to sell more eps after the first) is a good indicator for how they write storys...they didnt!
    as an fps it was slower, the enemies where not as "smart" and, apart from the hand-holding(the robot/girl), the unlimited grav gun really messed it up for me(get a chunk of trash/barrel/whatever and shoot at enemy-->instakill), leaving you with enough ammo at any given time.

i wont even start about steam.

try black mesa, the hl1 mod for hl2 engine and see for yourself.

BUT if you are not such an old ***** as myself, and dont know about the glorious times of fps games,
    when enemys tried to actually kill you, instead of running for cover, it sure looks like a well made game.

i think it doesnt deserve 9,2 user and 96 meta score, and thats just my personal op.

8/10 (back then and 7 now because ooolllddd)
  15. Jan 2, 2016
    To get things straight, Half-Life 2 more of a 9.9 out of 10 for me, just because of the amazing story, graphics, physics, characters, game play, etc... Quite ground breaking, so close to perfect. But one TEENY tiny problem I had with the game, and the series as a whole, is that it was just so grim, scary, creepy and depressing, that it created the sort of game that once you were doneTo get things straight, Half-Life 2 more of a 9.9 out of 10 for me, just because of the amazing story, graphics, physics, characters, game play, etc... Quite ground breaking, so close to perfect. But one TEENY tiny problem I had with the game, and the series as a whole, is that it was just so grim, scary, creepy and depressing, that it created the sort of game that once you were done playing it, you'd never want to go back and play it again... Ravenholm was so damn freaky, and all the environments was so bleak that you almost got the sense that you were stuck in a world that was no longer worth fighting for. Expand
  16. Aug 8, 2017
    A poor follow-up to the original. By today's standards it's very dated with bad graphics and ancient gameplay. Has been surpassed many times by more modern titles.
  17. Mar 22, 2015
    This game has aged horribly. The story is rather decent, but the gameplay is just pathetic. Shoot your peashooter weaponry at guards and zombies, and then use your gravity gun to pick up a saw and throw it at people.
    You will then take the saw with you on your entire game and use it exclusively.
    You will then take the saw with you on your entire game and use it exclusively.

Sure, you can argue that a game that has a good story is all that matters. But, a sandwich with the world's best bread (the story) is still a horrible sandwich is the meat is made out of a dead dog's **** (the gameplay)

As it stands, Half Life 2 is a prime example that gamers will reach to the bottom of their fanboy purses to make anything Valve makes overrated.

This game would be better fitted as a book, to be honest. It tells a great story, but the gameplay is just so agonizing that I couldn't get past 40 minutes. If you want a good first person shooter, go play Far Cry or Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Don't buy into the hype about this relic. It was good when it launched, but it's just dog **** that's beloved by nostalgia-blinded neckbeards who have probably never gotten to 1st base.

By the way, this review is going to get a lot of flak for not worshipping a game this overrated. Just some foresight.
  18. Oct 21, 2011
    I had fun for about 3 hours, soldiered on for about another 3 and then lost interest completely. A game more bereft of personality I have yet to play. I can't say that I saw much evidence of a story or any story telling for that matter - just a continuous chase with a few guns and vehicles thrown in. Oh yes, a couple of humans too who did nothing except break up the monotony of shootingI had fun for about 3 hours, soldiered on for about another 3 and then lost interest completely. A game more bereft of personality I have yet to play. I can't say that I saw much evidence of a story or any story telling for that matter - just a continuous chase with a few guns and vehicles thrown in. Oh yes, a couple of humans too who did nothing except break up the monotony of shooting stuff every once in a while. It has some good moments no doubt but very quickly I neither cared about what I was doing or why I was doing it. A faceless, straitjacketed and shallow game is the only way I can describe it. Expand
  19. Sep 14, 2013
    Long empty rooms. Long empty landscapes. Easy tasks. Uninteresting story. Plastic heroes. Lack of narrative. Only Oh! Doctor Freeman! Ah! Doctor Freeman! Wow! This is you Doctor Freeman?
    Blah! Boring game. Cure for insomnia. I dont recommend this game.
  20. Dec 29, 2014
    I'm giving this game a low rating because it does most of the things I hate:
    -Unskippable cut scenes.
    -Acting like I care about any of these dumb characters. -Half the game is driving. Rage pulled the same stunt in 2011 and that too was a disaster. All it does is make the game painfully slow. -Does this game even have a plot? It was so boring that I didn't care to find out. A good game
    I'm giving this game a low rating because it does most of the things I hate:
    -Unskippable cut scenes.
    -Acting like I care about any of these dumb characters.
    -Does this game even have a plot? It was so boring that I didn't care to find out. A good game tells you very little so you're left wanting to know what the story is. HL2 does the exact opposite. Unskippable cut scene after unskippable cut scene. Instead of googling to find what the story is, I'm googling to see if there is some console command to skip the stupid cut scenes. I can't believe someone at Valve actually thought it was a good idea to force players to watch the same crap every time they play the game. Start a new game - hey I wonder if that face hugger is going to screw up the teleportation this time. I'll need to watch the 5 minute cut scene to find out!
    -It seems like large segments of the game are unfinished. Half of the game is driving or walking, but there's nothing going on. There's nothing to shoot and there's nothing shooting at me. Why was this left in the game? It's like they forgot to add monsters and nobody in beta testing noticed how boring those sections of the game are.
    -Physics are completely broken. You can run 100mph in reverse just by running backward and jumping. At least bunny hopping from quake took some practice.
    -The guns seem a lot crappier than they were in HL1. The amount of ammo one can hold has also been greatly reduced.
    -HL1 was awesome because it was straight forward. It told a story without telling you anything. An experiment goes wrong, monsters appear, military try to cover the whole thing up, etc. HL2 is about.... what exactly? it's about running through water canals because a guy in a turtle neck sweater is the leader of some people who wear gas masks. This is Metal Gear Solid level of bad story telling. Snake, you have nanobots inside you because blah blah clones Big Boss blah blah The Combine blah blah turtle neck sweaters.

You can't truly grasp how boring this game is until you watch someone do a speed run of it. Then watch someone do a speed run of Quake. Which one looks more like a game and which looks more like a tech demo?
  21. Oct 4, 2013
    Half-Life 2... Often proclaimed one of the best, if not one of the greatest first person shooters, if not video games of all time. Released in 2004 to great fame and accolades, I was but then an 11 year old devotee of Sonic, Metroid, Zelda, and Star Wars. I hardly knew or cared. But as I grew older, and the internet became more prominent in my life, I began to hear of this wonderful thingHalf-Life 2... Often proclaimed one of the best, if not one of the greatest first person shooters, if not video games of all time. Released in 2004 to great fame and accolades, I was but then an 11 year old devotee of Sonic, Metroid, Zelda, and Star Wars. I hardly knew or cared. But as I grew older, and the internet became more prominent in my life, I began to hear of this wonderful thing called Half-Life 2, starring this great hero, a nuclear physicist named Gordon Freeman, who battled against the evil Combine to save humanity from its position under the jackboots of a tyrannical alien regime. When I discovered TvTropes, I got exposed to many more references to this game. I was told of the epic journey of the great hero fighting all alone against the future straight out of Nineteen Eighty-Four. I read that I was supposed to be a critical piece whose actions and choices would decide the fates of billions. I read about leading the citizens in rebellion against their alien oppressors in a climatic battle in City Seventeen. I heard about the awesome Gravity Gun. I read about the fearsome striders. I read about turning the antlions on the invaders. I read about the horror of Ravenholm. I heard about great and memorable characters, an engaging story, and so many other things which sounded like heralds of greatness.
    I first got my hands on a valve game, Left 4 Dead, in '08. And I loved it. I still do, just as I do Left 4 Dead 2. I got The Orange Box in 2010. I got it more or less for Portal. Portal, damn, that game is fantastic. As you would expect, having consecutively played three superb games from Valve, I was very much looking forward to the next game in my sights: Half-Life 2. So I selected it from the main menu of The Orange Box on my Xbox360 and began a new campaign on the medium difficulty setting. I as already an FPS veteran at the time, having played through games like Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Bioshock, Metro 2033, Goldeneye 007, the Halo series, F.E.A.R., Doom, Doom 3, and Quake 4. With everything begun, I was prepared to be blown away. I was eager for the greatest FPS ever made.

It sucks.

I personally rate games mainly on story, gameplay, and characters, with all of these being roughly equivalent. For me to approve of a game, it has to do well enough in these three categories. However, I ultimately pass judgement based on whether or not the game was fun to me. I can forgive quite a lot of if a game is an entertaining experience. Do I think Half-Life 2 is fun? NO! I think it's awful. I had to force myself to finish this game. It failed in story, gameplay, and characters. It wasn't even something that I could enjoy taking the piss out of.
    I know, you're probably frothing with rage and confusion over why I think Half-Life 2 is an overrated piece of crap. I've heard the arguments from the fans, but I just don't see it like they do. I respect their opinions, but I disagree. Truth be told, I feel like this game was always very close to being the great experience I was told about. Of course, realistically, nothing could have lived up to the hype. Even though I habitually make a note to deliberately not buy into hype, it was impossible to go in with anything other than great expectations. I could argue that it had to end in disappointment, but I disagree. I've played other great games, like Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, Far Cry 3, Metroid Prime 2, Metro: Last Light, and Portal, and felt that they deserved the praise they got. Perhaps not the extravagant fanboy praise, but plenty of praise and accolades nevertheless. Half-Life 2 got so many elements right and had a lot of good ideas, but the execution was so often feeble. If maybe just only a few elements were different, then perhaps I would be raving about how I love this game. And I think that, had I played it when it first came out, or at least within two years of its release rather than six, then I could very well have been much more favorably impressed. I could I personally actually quite like Half-Life 2: Episode 1, which was a much tighter game with a much more interesting and dynamic plotline where the player character actually seems to accomplish things.
    The story is irritatingly impenetrable while being of only vague concern, and yet still managing to hang constantly over the player while constantly keeping them in the dark.
    The gameplay is the worst part, given how it fails to make combat fun in a first person shooter while bloating the game to excessive length with vehicles and puzzles.
    The characters are mostly forgettable with a few good exceptions. Gordon Freeman is the worst possible kind of protagonist for this game. Alex Vance should have been it.
    The game is not fun except in small doses and in certain parts. Your experience may vary. I would recommend watching a walkthrough or LP rather than spend money on it.
  22. Feb 7, 2015
    A nauseating first person shooter in an unrealistic and dull environment. You have to do everything the way the game wants you to, so all you do is shoot up men in masks hundreds of times using the same weapons. Story was sort of interesting, but it bored me.
  23. Nov 18, 2012
    Why does everyone love this game? It is quite boring, the story doesn't develop well enough and the gameplay itself is nothing special. Nothing stands out at me as being amazing. It's not a bad game but it's nothing special either. I am huge fan of valve in general though.
  24. Feb 5, 2015
    Its engine capability is outstanding at the time of release. However, looking at this "best FPS" again today, only a mediocre and repetitive rail shooter with most of the same weapons in its predecessor and poor story telling is found.

So, its experience is just "meh" now.
  25. Aug 5, 2014
    I liked it, Half-Life 2 is a good atmospheric FPS, but is it something more, something breathtaking that should blow everyone's mind as everyone in this world seems to think? Hell no, I feel absolutely the same way about Half-Life 2 as I did with the first Half-Life, it's good, yes, but that's it, for some reason both Half-Lifes are extremely, but I mean EXTREMELY over-hyped and overrated.I liked it, Half-Life 2 is a good atmospheric FPS, but is it something more, something breathtaking that should blow everyone's mind as everyone in this world seems to think? Hell no, I feel absolutely the same way about Half-Life 2 as I did with the first Half-Life, it's good, yes, but that's it, for some reason both Half-Lifes are extremely, but I mean EXTREMELY over-hyped and overrated. It's a really good FPS, don't look for anything much more here. 7/10 Expand
  26. Nov 26, 2010
    Its a fun game, but it is nothing like Half life 1, the first half life game was probably the best game of its genre, but half life 2 is just a generic fps. It has realy stellar graphics and engine. It has decent acting, but its story falls flat on just shooting combine and running away from combine, but the gameplay was realy well made, i want to give this game a lower rating but theyIts a fun game, but it is nothing like Half life 1, the first half life game was probably the best game of its genre, but half life 2 is just a generic fps. It has realy stellar graphics and engine. It has decent acting, but its story falls flat on just shooting combine and running away from combine, but the gameplay was realy well made, i want to give this game a lower rating but they just nailed it off to be a regular game, it is nothing special. Expand
  27. Nov 10, 2013
    Here's the problem with giving an overrated game a bad score: people will ignore what it says and just say that that person is wrong. First of all, I am not hating this game just to hate (hell, at least I gave it a 3). Second, I am taking all the hype for this game out of the equation. Graphics: I honestly felt like I got a beta version of the game when I started it and saw the very basicHere's the problem with giving an overrated game a bad score: people will ignore what it says and just say that that person is wrong. First of all, I am not hating this game just to hate (hell, at least I gave it a 3). Second, I am taking all the hype for this game out of the equation. Graphics: I honestly felt like I got a beta version of the game when I started it and saw the very basic (borderline texture starter kit) and dry textures. The guns didn't look too bad but everything else looked like it hadn't even started rendering (yes I played the game on Ultra settings). Concept: put a gun in front of the screen, give an invisible entity a name, and have people tell it to do stuff only to always be interrupted mid sentence by enemies and never find out what they were going to say. Valve tried to give Freeman no personality or dialog so that the player could relate with him but the outcome was the exact opposite. It felt like just controlling a floating gun with zero personality. Story: The biggest confusion for me was how much people praised this game's story line. You literally start the game with many questions from the last game and are only given more questions. The G-Man spouts off nonsense and makes it seem like it's important and you wake up in god knows where in the future (no clue as to how many years because the game never specifies). No one is shocked in the least to see you after so many years looking the exact same you did when they last saw you and they ask you to go from point A to point B for no good reason. That last sentence is literally the entire story. One full game and two 3 hour episodes with absolutely no story progression except for the end of episode 2, and even that isn't that great because you had no emotion ties to the character who dies. People will constantly defend this and say "Valve will eventually explain the story. Just give them time". Why? Why judge a games story based on what your assumptions are? That's not innovative, that's sloppy writing. AI: I never even knew this was something that was seen as something great about this game until after I beat it........ so I have no idea why it's praised. Enemies act like enemies (in annoyingly low numbers and way too weak (even on hard)). Alyx is uncomfortable with how she acts with a guy who is probably twice her age and is actually quite annoying pointing out everything that happens in front of you. Replay Value: None. The game is linear with nothing on the side to keep it entertaining. Physics Engine: similar to the AI, I didn't even know this was something that was looked at as innovative. A physics engine should not determine a games worth especially when it's only used to have you "solve" kindergarten puzzles or to encourage you to use a weapon (Gravity Gun) that was boring and useless right after its tutorial. Conclusion: this entire game felt like a students project for an indie game. No story, no atmosphere, bad dialog, slow paced, confusing for the sake of being confusing, and has a complete lack of feeling like any work was done with it. This game was very underground when it came out (mostly because pc gaming wasn't as big in 2004) and so most of its original praise is from the, for the lack of a better word, hipsters that played this game. In essence, this game is a hipster game. It's a hipster game because it's full of things that normally wouldn't be seen as good but it's praised for those things so people jump on the bandwagon (similar with Stanley Parable). This actually only a small fraction of what I can say about this game but I am not about to write three reviews for one game. Expand
  28. Nov 14, 2011
    Most overrated game ever made. Half-Life 2 is not just disappointing, it's really boring. The first one was much better than this. Of course HL2 has some interesting things such as the Source engine (although many really poor textures), the gravity gun or pheropod, but this isn't enough to keep the game alive. And, as this wasn't enough, the game doesn't have a decent ending. I'll neverMost overrated game ever made. Half-Life 2 is not just disappointing, it's really boring. The first one was much better than this. Of course HL2 has some interesting things such as the Source engine (although many really poor textures), the gravity gun or pheropod, but this isn't enough to keep the game alive. And, as this wasn't enough, the game doesn't have a decent ending. I'll never understand why Half Life 2 is so praised. Expand
  29. Nov 8, 2014
    The graphics are clunky and absolutely disgusting, the guns are unrealistic and disproportionate. Its lame I do not recommend this game to anyone who calls themselves a lover of games. This game is a classic, a classic piece of ****
  30. Jun 28, 2012
    Either Half-Life 1 or 2, I don't like them very much, it is very boring story line and there's no other feelings that gives you except a little bit of fear of some ugly creature. Story line is long, dark and no resting you wound not want to play it a long period of time.
  31. LeeCalder
    May 5, 2006
    Tedious. Boring.
  32. MadelineV.
    Nov 28, 2006
    Characters are boring and uninteresting and pretty unattractive. There is no finesse with the weapons like most fps shooters. AI is poor. Storyline isn't too great. Too much physics gimmicks. It's cool at first, gets old very quick and really in most action films or horror, the killing doesn't exactly revolve around this. It's just unrealistic. Despite your so called Characters are boring and uninteresting and pretty unattractive. There is no finesse with the weapons like most fps shooters. AI is poor. Storyline isn't too great. Too much physics gimmicks. It's cool at first, gets old very quick and really in most action films or horror, the killing doesn't exactly revolve around this. It's just unrealistic. Despite your so called cheat free environment, i found cheaters in multiplayer and many people called out the same people I saw cheating. Nothing is done. The unreal 3.0 engine even the 2.5, far exceeds this engine and characters. Who wants to play a 4 eyes ugly dude who never talks anyway? The only thing I liked were a few of the maps though when looking at them closer in the editor, again the unreal editor FAR exceeds this game. Expand
  33. Apr 15, 2013
    Lack of story telling; leaves you with a mindless fast paced shooter that gets old after a few hours of gameplay. Cutscenes are non existent as well which only enforces the lack of story this game has, which is unfortunate because with a simple google search you can discover how in depth it truly is.
  34. IanF.
    Oct 20, 2005
    Garbage. What's all the hype about. This game was BORING. The weapons were boring, the enemies were boring, but most of all the story was BORING. The whole game all you do is try to rescue one person or meet up with another person, in very cramped environments. That might've been forgivable if this game was fun or challenging, but the fact of the matter is it isn't. Also, Garbage. What's all the hype about. This game was BORING. The weapons were boring, the enemies were boring, but most of all the story was BORING. The whole game all you do is try to rescue one person or meet up with another person, in very cramped environments. That might've been forgivable if this game was fun or challenging, but the fact of the matter is it isn't. Also, the ending is AWFUL. Could it have been worse? What really happened? it felt like they didn't know how to end it so the developers just took a dump and modeled it after that. Half-life is supposed to be about story and this game had very little. If you want to play a good FPS play Far-Cry (for those of you recommending Doom 3 instead of this pile, I'll have you know that Doom 3 was trash too). Far-Cry had great action, audio, gameplay, and a decent story (not great by any means, but definitely better than this connect the dots junk). If you haven't played it you are doing yourself a great disservice. Far-Cry = 10, half-life 2 = (they don't have negative scores) 0. Expand
  35. Nov 7, 2013
    After having replayed the game on PC (rather than X360) in 2013 I have to say it's better than the Xbox 360 version with regards to the graphics and controls, but the core gameplay is still very much stuck in the 90s. The basic game mechanics are so outdated and unimmersive it's difficult to take it seriously. Small things like meleeing enemies with the crowbar and mounting turrets as wellAfter having replayed the game on PC (rather than X360) in 2013 I have to say it's better than the Xbox 360 version with regards to the graphics and controls, but the core gameplay is still very much stuck in the 90s. The basic game mechanics are so outdated and unimmersive it's difficult to take it seriously. Small things like meleeing enemies with the crowbar and mounting turrets as well as primitive controls and movement make it seem really amateur for the standards of today. The one thing that makes this game stand out is the level design. The levels aren't only long and adventurous but they manage to cram in so much variety with so few tools and gimmicks. The use of the physics engine as well as the famous gravity gun is particularly commendable. However, the shooting has no weighty feel to it, and weapons don't have any recoil. Enemies take damage with no seeming impact until they die. The characters are almost non-existent because the game's lack of cutscenes prevents any real development in the story. At every point when you play Half-Life 2, you feel like you're using compiled C code rather than playing a video game. It just feels like software that's made for a specific purpose. Although the voice acting, lip-syncing and attention to detail in the environments are all top notch, the main gameplay of Half-Life 2 is just plain bland and boring despite the varied levels. It's definitely an overrated game. Expand
  36. T0G
    Dec 14, 2013
    Maybe my expectations were set too high by the first game and all the hype but Half-Life2 is so linear it may as well be an arcade game. One of the few games I have uninstalled immediately after finishing. Very disappointed. I will avoid the 3rd outing.
  37. AnonymousMC
    Jul 16, 2006
    This is a good game dont get me wrong. But what kills this game for me, and makes me want to throw it out the window is, in a word: Steam. Steam kills this game and any other game that uses it. In my opinion Steam is the worst thing to hapen to gaming since E.T. for the atari. Im a Marine who is on deployment right now. I dont make alot of money so it was a choice between picking upThis is a good game dont get me wrong. But what kills this game for me, and makes me want to throw it out the window is, in a word: Steam. Steam kills this game and any other game that uses it. In my opinion Steam is the worst thing to hapen to gaming since E.T. for the atari. Im a Marine who is on deployment right now. I dont make alot of money so it was a choice between picking up F.E.A.R. or Halflife 2. I had played HL 1 and loved it, and only a demo of F.E.A.R. I chose HL 2 and have had a game that i could not play for 4 months because i dont have access to internet on a navy ship. What Valve didnt realize, or just didnt give a .... about what that not everyone has internet. Yes 'most' gammers do, but not 'all'. Also 'most' gamers that i have talked too or seen on forums are angry or scared about what this means for the future of computer gaming. If someone dosnt have internet access he cant play games on his computer? That right there is reason enough for this game to get a 0. Its not like it helps fight piracy, in my eyes it makes it worse. There are cracks for this game everywhere, it took less time to find a crack then to register the game with Steam. Someone like me who has no problem paying for a game and registering it Is forced to go get a crack because he cant get his laptop to an internet source for the hours it takes to do the initial update, but its easy to take a flash drive and get a 30 second download of the crack. Valve has alienated so many gamers with Steam, and agin in my opinion has given pirates a major victory, by forcing someone who would normaly never download a crack to get one just to play the game he bought. Basicly, I will never buy another Valve game after this. They have lost me as a customer and i will recomend to all my friends who come to me for game advise to stay away from this company and any games they make. I shoulda got F.E.A.R. Expand
  38. AnonymousMC
    Jan 25, 2007
    This game will not perform well at all on my computer. 1.4G Pentium Processor with 1.2G of Ram. I wouldn't waste another dollar on anything this company makes. The steam engine is a joke. If I wanted another browser on my computer I would have downloaded a new one. The steam engine is a resource hog and very unnecessary. Just provide updates for games at your damn website, we willThis game will not perform well at all on my computer. 1.4G Pentium Processor with 1.2G of Ram. I wouldn't waste another dollar on anything this company makes. The steam engine is a joke. If I wanted another browser on my computer I would have downloaded a new one. The steam engine is a resource hog and very unnecessary. Just provide updates for games at your damn website, we will go get them if we want them. Just like the media today, once again we are spoon-fed everything someone else thinks we need. Socialism disguised as Democracy. Expand
  39. May 7, 2014
    Hopelessly mediocre game that's on-the-rails and constantly insults my intelligence with puzzles a kids with downs could figure out. It has nice graphics, but boring gunplay and DRM called Steam. 10 years later, still no sequel to tie up the loose ends. Bottom line: Valve sucks!
  40. AlyxF.
    Jul 25, 2008
    Pretty good graphics although it could be a lot better, bad ai. and the game is one of the just play once games. When i did play the game i took a lot of time exploring as much as the game allowed me to do, and that isn't pretty much. the game is designed for a just rush through session.
  41. Bor
    May 7, 2006
    The Best Game!!!
  42. Dec 22, 2011
    Very disappointing. Personally, I consider HL1 one of the best games ever made, and everything I liked about HL1 is missing in this game. Boring and linear. The story itself is poor. There's no time left to explore the levels because you're constantly being chased, and when you do find the time to look around, it's only to find that the beautiful scenery is in most cases just a cardboardVery disappointing. Personally, I consider HL1 one of the best games ever made, and everything I liked about HL1 is missing in this game. Boring and linear. The story itself is poor. There's no time left to explore the levels because you're constantly being chased, and when you do find the time to look around, it's only to find that the beautiful scenery is in most cases just a cardboard scene placed around a small, single path level, designed so that you don't even think about stepping of the predefined path. I had a feeling as if being a cow which is ran into desired direction through ever narrower paths in a slaughterhouse. It was so repetitive, boring and frustrating that I didn't even finish the game. The only thing I had fun with in this game was the gravity gun. Expand
  43. Jul 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the most pointless game ever.you spend the first 30-40 mins doing pointless menial tasks that are not fun to do and are incredibly boring. This game has to be one of the worst games ever created. I f i wanted to watch a film that takes 30 mins to get to any action i would have done so instead of playing the first half of this pointless game. To top it all off valve after 7 years still have not released the sequel to this stupid game.

spoiler................

It sucks all the balls
  44. StevenH
    Nov 7, 2009
    Most overrated game on this site. Still no story, setting is a mishmash of sci-fi cliches, the whole thing is one scripted event and linear box canyon, and there was no multiplayer until terrible multiplayer was patched in.
  45. WalterR.
    Nov 17, 2004
    This lost me on this game right off the bat. When a game takes 5 hours to install, set up and play there is nothing that can redeem it. Unknown to me, i had to set up an online account to even play the game. No one mentioned this little tidbid to me before i bought the game. I thought the internet connection requirement was for online play not for activation. I can only get phone modem This lost me on this game right off the bat. When a game takes 5 hours to install, set up and play there is nothing that can redeem it. Unknown to me, i had to set up an online account to even play the game. No one mentioned this little tidbid to me before i bought the game. I thought the internet connection requirement was for online play not for activation. I can only get phone modem connection in the country and needless to say it took some time. Not even Microsoft does this to its customers. Then the game started and i had to wonder around like an idiot to find my purpose. On the plus side, unlike Doom3, it didn't kill my pc. It ran smoothly on my high res lcd monitor. In the end, this game sucks as did Doom 3... I wish people out there quit hyping up games like this. When Far Cry came out it was a real revelation and that's the way it should be. What a disappointment this last few months have been!! Expand
  46. ChristopherS.
    Feb 25, 2007
    Half Life 2 is a marvelous technological achievement. It is beautiful to look at and for the most part enjoyable to play. So why the lousy rating? In one word: Steam. This service is without a doubt the worst thing to ever happen to computer gaming. Implemented as a tool in the war on piracy and as a means of efficient game distribution and praised by such magazines as PC Gamer, Steam is Half Life 2 is a marvelous technological achievement. It is beautiful to look at and for the most part enjoyable to play. So why the lousy rating? In one word: Steam. This service is without a doubt the worst thing to ever happen to computer gaming. Implemented as a tool in the war on piracy and as a means of efficient game distribution and praised by such magazines as PC Gamer, Steam is in reality a bloated, poorly conceived and overly intrusive internet portal whose required installation is used for updating and registering games. If you don't have a broadband connection you can literally spend 4 to 6 hours waiting for this ridiculous process to conclude. Even with broadband the hit or miss nature of the overly complex and unreliable installation procedure may require repeated downloading of large files and that can be particularly painful for those of us with limited bandwith usage restrictions. As a result I no longer buy games made by Valve or ones that use the Steam service for activation purposes. In my opinion this is just another example of corporate insensitivity to its customers and a cynical means by which to maximize its profits. Expand
  47. HidetoM.
    Apr 30, 2005
    Over Rated, but hey so was the first one, no surprise here. And all the 10's are no surprise either. It's human nature to simply mindlessly follow the crowd( trust me you had your 'opinion' way before you played this game ). Saying it's 'amazing' and "the best game ever made" is simply proving my point, you cannot explain it with arguments that stand. Oh Over Rated, but hey so was the first one, no surprise here. And all the 10's are no surprise either. It's human nature to simply mindlessly follow the crowd( trust me you had your 'opinion' way before you played this game ). Saying it's 'amazing' and "the best game ever made" is simply proving my point, you cannot explain it with arguments that stand. Oh and please do say that I'm a turd and just being negative for I am. Too much budget does silly things to people who were able to develop a pretty good game the first time around( or film, The Matrix anyone? ). And all the big gaming sites and mags..what can I say, does anyone of them ever give a rating that hasn't been given by the next site or magazine considering the big titles? Go right ahead and check it out, it doesn't make sense that everyone agrees on something, does it now. I can go on for a little while on why and how but I won't. And I believe it's time again for some biased posts now. Expand
  48. Aug 18, 2012
    I got to the speed boat part and that's when I had to stop. It was miserable. The monsters were boring, cold boring environment... everything bad. Very disappointing game.
  49. SeanWar
    Jan 4, 2005
    Really repetitive, nothing changes, doesnt come close to doom 3 when it comes to graghics.
  50. Jul 27, 2014
    this is the worst game ever
    the story sucks . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . very bad
  51. JayG
    Apr 26, 2008
    I fail to see how this game warrants so many "Perfect" scores. This is not a game, Its a tech Demo for a very beautiful, very versatile engine but entertaining to play... Half life 2 is not, unless you enjoy repeating the same puzzle every 30 seconds and navigating some of the worst level design that I have seen in any game. What could be a very thrilling and engrossing game, is broken up I fail to see how this game warrants so many "Perfect" scores. This is not a game, Its a tech Demo for a very beautiful, very versatile engine but entertaining to play... Half life 2 is not, unless you enjoy repeating the same puzzle every 30 seconds and navigating some of the worst level design that I have seen in any game. What could be a very thrilling and engrossing game, is broken up by a repetitive string of physics puzzles with no purpose other than to show off the physics engine. Which would have its own charm, were the puzzles not repeated every 5 mins with an identically puzzle. This is demonstrated best in any level that contains a vehicle for the player to drive, where you will have to move an obstacle out of your way every 30 seconds with the "Gravity gun." Top that off with 90% of the plot being as in depth as Mario's "The Princess is in the next castle, navigate your way to the next location" and you are left with a game that left me "Blue" for a decent story and some thrilling action. Half life 2 is a monumental technical achievement, and the mods that have come out for this game make it well worth the price of purchase, but I would rather pull out and eat my own intestines like spaghetti than call this a "reviting good time." Expand
  52. May 3, 2014
    ===========
    Half-Life 2 expands on it's predecessor and makes everything about it even better. Try the episodes as well.
  53. Sep 28, 2013
    The first Half-Life was a brilliant game that turned the once and for all the FPS genre. What we offer Half-Life 2? Well, it's a real benchmark! benchmark samy as games from сrytek! Developers simply spoiled masterpiece of all time! Multiplayer missing weapon was half that of the previous game, the enemies are very stupid, and the game Will pass for 4 hours!Game of the year?!You reThe first Half-Life was a brilliant game that turned the once and for all the FPS genre. What we offer Half-Life 2? Well, it's a real benchmark! benchmark samy as games from сrytek! Developers simply spoiled masterpiece of all time! Multiplayer missing weapon was half that of the previous game, the enemies are very stupid, and the game Will pass for 4 hours!Game of the year?!You re seriously?Doom 3 was MORE BETTER than this "masterpiece".Yuk! Expand
  54. Dec 5, 2011
    Flat and mediocre sequel to one of the most innovative shooters ever made. Half Life had a depth that is definitely missing from it's overrated sequel.
  55. JohanG
    Jan 8, 2010
    Overate and boring. Stupid game. Its like lets buy the valve rate team. So we can pwnd all other games. This game is bugged like shit unbalance and you can cheat.
  56. RehnH.
    Nov 19, 2004
    Steam unfortunately ruined the game for me. The game at first seemed to be worth it but the game play loses its juice about half way into the game. I also feel like I have been ripped off I bought the Collectors edition of the game, what a joke that is. I GET A SHIRT YAY!!!. Valve needs to get off their trip with steam people are going to pirate games no matter how much time you spend on Steam unfortunately ruined the game for me. The game at first seemed to be worth it but the game play loses its juice about half way into the game. I also feel like I have been ripped off I bought the Collectors edition of the game, what a joke that is. I GET A SHIRT YAY!!!. Valve needs to get off their trip with steam people are going to pirate games no matter how much time you spend on creating new technology, Hackers are just going to spend more time trying to hack it. I am just glad a real game developer is releasing a game a week after I will be sure to jump on WoW and support blizzard and I wish I can get my money back from this steamy pile of crap. Why do you need an internet connection to play a single player game? Why cant I just launch the gaming from steam and not use the cd? I went through a 3 hour install and I still need the damn game cd to play this sh..ty game. Expand
  57. Sep 25, 2012
    The first Half Life was and remains one of my all time favorite games. It's so great to me that it defies explanation. The short of it is that Half Life 2 just tried to copy the first game, and it came across as a very cheap copy. The only improvements are in things that don't matter. Graphics and animations, guns, sounds, physics. If you're not wowed by those things, and I'm not,The first Half Life was and remains one of my all time favorite games. It's so great to me that it defies explanation. The short of it is that Half Life 2 just tried to copy the first game, and it came across as a very cheap copy. The only improvements are in things that don't matter. Graphics and animations, guns, sounds, physics. If you're not wowed by those things, and I'm not, Half Life 2 has very little to offer Expand
  58. Dec 1, 2011
    I am a SERIOUS GAMER. i cannot see what the big deal about this game is. you have TERRIBLE weapons with horrible graphics, yet people still call this one of the best games. the game is terribly unrealistic, and the weapons are just complete SH*T. The game is repetitive and has a boring... long story. i wouldn't reccommend this for serious gamers. but if you are a poser, child or beginnerI am a SERIOUS GAMER. i cannot see what the big deal about this game is. you have TERRIBLE weapons with horrible graphics, yet people still call this one of the best games. the game is terribly unrealistic, and the weapons are just complete SH*T. The game is repetitive and has a boring... long story. i wouldn't reccommend this for serious gamers. but if you are a poser, child or beginner then by all means, start playing this game and start putting foward your one sided reveiws. This game was a hit in 2004 but COME ON.. all games have their day, and i think that the end for this game has come. Valves needs to focus on realising more content that appeals to the serious gamers. Half life 2, does NOT cater for us serious gamers! Expand
  59. AdamH.
    Jul 7, 2005
    From the moment that i heard this game was coming out, i had waited in great anticipation. I bought the game and tried to install it but I couln't play it because of stupid steam. All my hopes were crushed because of STEAM. It took me months to finally get steam working, but when i was finally able to play HL2, it blew me away. It's too bad though, because i would've given From the moment that i heard this game was coming out, i had waited in great anticipation. I bought the game and tried to install it but I couln't play it because of stupid steam. All my hopes were crushed because of STEAM. It took me months to finally get steam working, but when i was finally able to play HL2, it blew me away. It's too bad though, because i would've given this game a 10 if it werent for steam. I hate steam so much!!! Expand
  60. Aug 22, 2014
    **** for its time and **** now... not an immersive story, first half of the game you do boring tasks and then when you start to shoot things and run away from that its still boring.
  61. AnonymousMC
    Nov 23, 2004
    possibly the worst game ever made. you will most likely never step outside again if you start playing it. you will sit inside your room, mesmerized by it, until monkeys invade your house and begin to eat all of the quaker oats from your pantry. if you manage to fight off these monkeys and regain power over the quaker oat regime, you might realize that the game has cast an awful spell onpossibly the worst game ever made. you will most likely never step outside again if you start playing it. you will sit inside your room, mesmerized by it, until monkeys invade your house and begin to eat all of the quaker oats from your pantry. if you manage to fight off these monkeys and regain power over the quaker oat regime, you might realize that the game has cast an awful spell on you that makes you play it perpetually and praise it as if it were a godsend. Expand
  62. KlausF.
    May 15, 2006
    Let me see I have Half life check installed it check played it nope. The reason why i'm givinh HL2 as zero is because of steam. I'm sure Half life 2 = 10 but steam = minus ten. What kind of a idiots tick people off by making the go through a living hell but never make it to the other side oh yeah Valve ! I mean what were they thinking or not thinking if I get Half life 2 to work Let me see I have Half life check installed it check played it nope. The reason why i'm givinh HL2 as zero is because of steam. I'm sure Half life 2 = 10 but steam = minus ten. What kind of a idiots tick people off by making the go through a living hell but never make it to the other side oh yeah Valve ! I mean what were they thinking or not thinking if I get Half life 2 to work i'll maybe give it a 10. Expand
  63. Sep 2, 2014
    I saw on the internet all the hype and reviews that say that this game is the best game ever so i bought it
    it was soooo boring; lame puzzles story ehh average and the gameplay horrible so overrated
  64. Aug 16, 2014
    I will never understand why this game gets as much hype as it does . It makes you do silly puzzles randomly to show off its engine . I heard this was one of the best games if not the best so i was expecting a lot more then this .
  65. Feb 19, 2012
    On rails shooter. Mindless FPS pap by the shovelful, apparently for a market of mindless drektoids that can't get enough "by the numbers" FPS games. Well, here's another from 8 years ago. Story is meh, Gordon is neither geeky enough to be "neo-cool" nor macho enugh to be "funny" he's just annoying. What distinguishes this game from hundreds of other on rail shooters? Absolutely nothing. AOn rails shooter. Mindless FPS pap by the shovelful, apparently for a market of mindless drektoids that can't get enough "by the numbers" FPS games. Well, here's another from 8 years ago. Story is meh, Gordon is neither geeky enough to be "neo-cool" nor macho enugh to be "funny" he's just annoying. What distinguishes this game from hundreds of other on rail shooters? Absolutely nothing. A dull dull game. MIght as well play the original Quake or any other FPS from the 99cents bargain bin than fork out for this over hyped stuff. Graphics (even for 2004) are WELL below average, control is exactly the same as 1000+ other FPS, weapons are ok, story is boring, locations are bland. Avoid. Is OOTP2007 a better game than this? You bet it is! What is it that other people see in FPS games? It's sprt of a serious question, becasue from where I'm sat the big producers are remaking the same game over and over and over again. If I want to play a game like this, I'll play Quake WASD to move, left mouse fires, right mouse Alt fire..that is this game, and every other FPS in totality..end of story. I'm beginning to think everyone in gameplay land has had their brains turned to mush to keep buying carbon copy games overt and over again. I played HL2 for about 5 hours (past the hover boat sequence) and sat there wondering what all the fuss was about. Overhyped and just the same - avoid at all costs Expand
  66. CarlM.
    Dec 27, 2004
    How can you rate a game with a bad rating because of a loading issue? Loading is a part of every game. Rate it on the superior graphic and the blah blah blah that everyone is fasinated with. Obviously as long as the picture is pretty it is a good game. Hey anyone a mortgage rep, If you rated my credit report maybe i could get a $1.3 mill house.
  67. Jul 5, 2011
    This is hands down, THE most over rated game of all time. It shouldn't even be allowed to use the title Half Life, it is that insulting to the truly awesome Half Life 1. The graphics are ugly, seriously, until the later updates to the Source engine that weren't part of HL2, the engine put performance on low end machines ahead of looks, and the result was urgh. The game itself is only ratedThis is hands down, THE most over rated game of all time. It shouldn't even be allowed to use the title Half Life, it is that insulting to the truly awesome Half Life 1. The graphics are ugly, seriously, until the later updates to the Source engine that weren't part of HL2, the engine put performance on low end machines ahead of looks, and the result was urgh. The game itself is only rated highly by reviewers for 2 reasons; 1) they are paid off by valve or valve fanboys and 2) the blue balls story of Alex. The entire plot revolves around a moderately attractive female and all the teenage kids cant stop drooling. There is no exploration, it is utterly linear, go here, do this, go there, do that. No freedom or choices to make. The weapons are awful, terrible. they are the same stupid weapons from HL1 they held on to purely for nostalgia and they suck. 10 years later and no personalisation, no new weapons of any note, no customisation, no free roam, no open maps, no interactivity with the exception of a gravity gun that lets you - wait for it - pick up a box. Holy Crap! Wow! A box! The AI of enemies blows and of squad members (which was a much praised addition) sucks so hard its hard to even put into words. Their only contribution is to get in the way and block you. The levels are generic, ugly and totally bland with no imagination or originality. The only thing they have is a few parts ripped from Hollywood films like The Matrix. the ending sucks, the characters are all vanilla and forgettable, the G-Man appears like a caricature of a bad guy. The game is short, aimed so they can throw out more DLC at a price, it is probably half the length of HL1. This game is at best a 6/10, but I'm giving it 4 because of the obscene reviews posted that are just blatant lies. Expand
  68. AnonymousMC
    Dec 20, 2005
    Disgusting Half-Life(1) was great and they turned around and made this piece of BS! Everyone seems to just concentrate on Alecs ( correct me if spelled wrong.If the game was more like nIntendo games with the originalaty maby i would of given it a 10 but choice is final.0 out of 5
  69. David
    Dec 17, 2004
    Steam sucks will never buy another game with this crap attached, ruined a 8 game down to a 4, load time for game and the levels are annoying.
  70. JimF.
    Dec 20, 2004
    Hours spent installing, reinstalling, dealing with Steam, ATI video drivers, and stuttering problems: 7 Hours spent playing the game: 0 I am a very busy person, who at best has an hour a week for relaxing games. I got this game because I had three days off from work and wanted to play the highest rated game out there. I'm still waiting to play the highest rated game out there. Hours spent installing, reinstalling, dealing with Steam, ATI video drivers, and stuttering problems: 7 Hours spent playing the game: 0 I am a very busy person, who at best has an hour a week for relaxing games. I got this game because I had three days off from work and wanted to play the highest rated game out there. I'm still waiting to play the highest rated game out there. I'll be returning this disaster shortly, and getting something that doesn't raise my blood pressure. - Jim Expand
  71. Chris
    Feb 24, 2005
    This might be a great game, but I will never know. I gave up after spending over 6 hours trying to install it. Steam was more than just a little irritating to me.
  72. B.A.
    Jun 4, 2006
    No story happened. You shoot in a tower, then you get a credit roll. The physics was bad. Walk towards a chair, get stuck, then the chair launches across the room. Realism. The gravity gun was cool, but all it did was make people dangle from your crosshair. In unrealistic ways. That's it.
  73. MikeA.
    May 5, 2006
    Steam is terrible. Why reconfigure a high end pc to play one game? I wasn't impressed, should've saved the money.
  74. AnonymousMC
    Dec 12, 2004
    The more I play this game, the more I am starting to dislike it - it's rapidly becoming nothing more than a linear 'if-it-moves-shoot-it' style average game. Yes, the graphics are very good, but surely gameplay is more important? The original Half Life had style and innovation; Half Life 2 has half the content and very little character.
  75. AnonymousMC
    Nov 17, 2004
    well i havn't been able to play it because i don't have a internet connection at my house. i guess i'll just have to hope i can get a connection. Other wise the game seems to be really good. I'm a litle angry that the single player aspect of hte game requires an internet connection.
  76. AnonymousMC
    Dec 22, 2004
    Poor storyline and poor gameplay. Allies ai are coded poorly. Game is incredibly easy, even on hard. Online play is the same old, just with better graphics. Now, don't doubt me becuase I beta tested CS Source. Half-Life Source is a waste of money.
    Only good things are: facial textures and water. Valve should have made a jet skiing game with this thing.
  77. AnonymousMC
    May 6, 2006
    Würg...Story is the worst i ever experienced for such an overhyped game. Nice graphics and poor physic with an awful stupid ending dont make this game worth spending the time playing it. Ist nice too; to play a silent hero <--sarcasm. by the way halo2 has a equal stupid ending & story;) everyone please buy this game and help industrie create more borring games with best graphics ever.
  78. AnonymousMC
    May 8, 2006
    The game itself is great! It would even be my favorite of all time, if it weren't for all of the bugs. There are almost 20 pages of help topics on various subjects. My personal problem is that all of the updates hang at 99 percent. I've had more than enough time to try everything discussed in the help topics, some twice.
    What makes this especially annoying, is that it will
    What makes this especially annoying, is that it will not let me get past a certain part of the game because of this. I even tried updating the other games include, while my update for HL2 was paused, and they updated with no problem... until they reached 99%, then they stopped. I updated Steam with no problem, to 100%.
    Personally, I will never buy another game with Steam on the box again. Not until they start offering their downloads through other sites like Cnet download or filefront. I've had this game for 3 months and I've only been able to play it for 2 weeks. A complete rip-off and total waste of time.
    It does offer the feature of backing up your files for you (so maybe you could save your progress), but, you guessed it, it won't let you do that because the game isn't updated.
    The good part is, if you do get desperate, you can use the box for toilet paper. I tried using the disk, but I couldn't download anything to it! A game is no good if you can't play it.
  79. AnonymousMC
    May 30, 2006
    Buy this game for the mods that may or may not come out. The game sucks, but hopefully like Half-Life 1, the mods will be worth it. I bought Half-Life for the mods. Half-Life and as always any farther Half-Life including the not yet released Half-life Episode One (WTF were they thinking, this isn't Star Wars) will suck. If a good mod comes out, then perhaps get this game. If notBuy this game for the mods that may or may not come out. The game sucks, but hopefully like Half-Life 1, the mods will be worth it. I bought Half-Life for the mods. Half-Life and as always any farther Half-Life including the not yet released Half-life Episode One (WTF were they thinking, this isn't Star Wars) will suck. If a good mod comes out, then perhaps get this game. If not don't waste your money. Also EBAY may be cheaper so don't buy inflated prices from greedy untalented developers, k? Expand
  80. AnonymousMC
    Jul 3, 2006
    Simply put, I think Half-Life 2 was one of the most over-hyped, over-rated games this year with frequent long load times, which break the flow of the game, over extended vehicle scenes, and the complete LACK of a plot line. I
  81. AnonymousMC
    Aug 25, 2006
    Quite frankly this game is shit... The whole game is a load of boring nonesense mixed with some pretty graphics, its boring, the AI is stupid, where are the marines??? and the combine arent enemies, they just piss you off. Long scenes of driving vehicles and doing nothing. Boring, easy, shit. Nothing compared to hl1
  82. AnonymousMC
    Mar 1, 2007
    i loved the game even though the load times and the vehical parts got annoying fast but what i really hated bad was STUPID STEAM this i think killed the game because i had to wait to get an internet connection on my new pc to even play the single player, this i found really anoying and i hope that the next games wont have steam
  83. MinOh
    Apr 1, 2007
    It was awesome!!!
  84. AnonymousMC
    Sep 14, 2007
    Total and utter garbage! Everything we were promised by this game is an absolute lie.
    It is still just an overglorified, badly modified Quake 1 engine with no AI, no plot, the worlds worst control mechanism and no diversity of play.
    An utter shambles that shames the good name Half Life one rightfully made for itself.
    Avoid like th plague!
  85. AnonymousMC
    Sep 15, 2008
    Would Give It 8 Or 9 But You Have To Go Through All Of The Steam Stufff Which Sucks! This Game Won't Even Let You Play Singleplayer Mode Unless You're Connected To The Net. If Steam Goes Bellyup Or You Don't Have Internet You Have Nothing The Game Is Worthless ,Think?? About It
  86. AnonymousMC
    Nov 29, 2008
    i dont agree with this game because the rebels(team) just look the same the graohics are good thats all the only good wep is ar2 and i just dont get how you get so much blood out of one body its like resi2 but much worse cutting people in half its more like a horror game then anything and im not even gonna talk about ravenholm the loading in game takes to long luckily my pc didnt freeze :(i dont agree with this game because the rebels(team) just look the same the graohics are good thats all the only good wep is ar2 and i just dont get how you get so much blood out of one body its like resi2 but much worse cutting people in half its more like a horror game then anything and im not even gonna talk about ravenholm the loading in game takes to long luckily my pc didnt freeze :( im rating 1 because its utter crap Expand
  87. AnonymousMC
    Feb 21, 2009
    When I first bought this game, Steam bit me. It locked me out of the game after install, and Valve was so swamped with support complaints and fixes that I was forgotten for almost 2 weeks. After finding out another recent purchase was "Steamed," I had to re-install Steam. I figured I'd give it another go, as they're supposed to have worked the bugs out of Steam by now.When I first bought this game, Steam bit me. It locked me out of the game after install, and Valve was so swamped with support complaints and fixes that I was forgotten for almost 2 weeks. After finding out another recent purchase was "Steamed," I had to re-install Steam. I figured I'd give it another go, as they're supposed to have worked the bugs out of Steam by now. Nope. Locked out again. As I legally purchased the game via retail, I shouldn't have to ask, and await permission from Valve's support team to play the game. Expand
  88. AnonymousMC
    Mar 19, 2009
    HL1/HL2 marked a time when masses were just catching up on the joys of PC gaming. The ratings entirely reflect this. Put into perspective from having played most of the notable FPS before these two came out, they both were at most an 8 at the time of release. Now I'm giving 3 just to make this point visible in the crowd of undeserved 10's.
  89. Tomek
    Dec 13, 2004
    I'm very confused with this game. It shouldn't be rated so high! There is one thing everyone forgot about... this game works bad even on best PCs on the market. I mean "audio stuttering" problem, which is discused widely on the internet forums. This issue makes all the gameplay thrashed in a while... all the key points in the plot are nothing more than one big I'm very confused with this game. It shouldn't be rated so high! There is one thing everyone forgot about... this game works bad even on best PCs on the market. I mean "audio stuttering" problem, which is discused widely on the internet forums. This issue makes all the gameplay thrashed in a while... all the key points in the plot are nothing more than one big ssss..tttt.uuuuu..ttttt.eeee..rrrr . This is annoying, yet unfixable by any official or unofficial patch. The game is really neat, but suffers from bad programming and bugs.... Expand
    Nov 17, 2004
    A good game let down only by its terrible ending! Not as good as Half-Life!
  91. Jeffthejiff
    Dec 4, 2004
    I'm not sure what everyones getting at about this game. It just seems like a last minute lodge-together of different game genres and styles. One minute you could be driving a beach buggy, the next you could be in Resident Evil. The storyline is non-existant or at least incredibly obscure. And the ending... well, it just made me laugh. Worst Ending Ever. Altogether it just felt like a I'm not sure what everyones getting at about this game. It just seems like a last minute lodge-together of different game genres and styles. One minute you could be driving a beach buggy, the next you could be in Resident Evil. The storyline is non-existant or at least incredibly obscure. And the ending... well, it just made me laugh. Worst Ending Ever. Altogether it just felt like a technology preview to me: just showing what games could possibly do, but forgetting to actually put a game in there somewhere. Expand
  92. KentO.
    Dec 18, 2004
    What is the DEAL with that stupid STEAM crap ?!!!! If I had known the following, I would have SAVED my money: -ONline registration was required to play the game -Endlessly waiting for Steam to update and validate all files before being allowed to even PLAY the game -Putting up with anomolous problems whereby Steam cannot connect - thereby preventing or delaying my ability to play the game What is the DEAL with that stupid STEAM crap ?!!!! If I had known the following, I would have SAVED my money: -ONline registration was required to play the game -Endlessly waiting for Steam to update and validate all files before being allowed to even PLAY the game -Putting up with anomolous problems whereby Steam cannot connect - thereby preventing or delaying my ability to play the game -With all this "authentication" going on, STILL being forced to keep the CD in the pc to be able to play the game -The game crashes (alot) even with a powerful pc and video card -The game takes at least 3.5 minutes just to load up fully to start playing a game. The game's graphics are very good, and it is quite entertaining, but Please, PLEASE - GET RID OF THAT STUPID STEAM CRAP ! When I BUY a game, I EXPECT to be able to play it out of the box, NOT after endless authentication and Internet registration !!!! Expand
  93. AlanK.
    Dec 21, 2004
    Good game, only average, linear game, player has no say in where to go, how to attack a situation, graphics are average, the only outstanding thing is the characters animation and the physics but the rest is flat and non responsive. FarCry is a much much much better game, superior in every way, they should have just bought the farcry engine and modded it for HL2 instead of delay afterGood game, only average, linear game, player has no say in where to go, how to attack a situation, graphics are average, the only outstanding thing is the characters animation and the physics but the rest is flat and non responsive. FarCry is a much much much better game, superior in every way, they should have just bought the farcry engine and modded it for HL2 instead of delay after delay for this run of the mill game. you'll play it once, no replay value at all. Expand
  94. LanceR.
    Dec 25, 2004
    I havn't even got to play the game yet and i am already going to give it a 5. This steam thing is terrible. I have know idea why a company like valve would wish me to suffer like this. I could only imagine how many other people are going through this hell like me watching for hours as i verify that i actually bought the game. I have an idea, find a way to punish the people that steal I havn't even got to play the game yet and i am already going to give it a 5. This steam thing is terrible. I have know idea why a company like valve would wish me to suffer like this. I could only imagine how many other people are going through this hell like me watching for hours as i verify that i actually bought the game. I have an idea, find a way to punish the people that steal the game, not the ones who actually bought it. Anything with the steam logo on it will be on my "not with a 10 foot pole" list. Expand
  95. DemonicAngel
    Dec 28, 2004
    This game is possibly the most overhyped and overrated game to be released for the PC since the original Half-Life. -- GOOD STUFF: graphics are very nice, if not up to the standards of Doom3. Character animation is wonderful, and the facial expressions are extremely convincing, which helps you to care about the people you'll be fighting alongside. Sound design is also good, though This game is possibly the most overhyped and overrated game to be released for the PC since the original Half-Life. -- GOOD STUFF: graphics are very nice, if not up to the standards of Doom3. Character animation is wonderful, and the facial expressions are extremely convincing, which helps you to care about the people you'll be fighting alongside. Sound design is also good, though again the sound engine can't compare to Doom3's. -- BAD STUFF: the game is completely linear, and whilst there are some nice set pieces scattered about infrequently, for the most part the gameplay is fairly samey. And where's this supposed deep storyline? So far all I've had are flimsy justifications to go from one place to another, backed up by a plot that has so far been lacklustre both in its content and its execution. And the bugs... let's not even go there. -- Out of this game and Doom3, I'd take Doom3 every time. It may be just as repetitive, if not more so, but it can scare me, it makes me feel something. Half-Life 2, like the original, makes me feel cheated. Expand
  96. Z.Zaminiski
    Dec 6, 2004
    To all you rate HL2 higher than 5 you are not doing HL2/valve or fellow gamers any favours. do NOT encourage valve to create another slightly-above average game. if you like to compare with doom3, then HL2 rates perhaps 7. i dunno who the raters are and they dont know me. however, my FPS-credentials started with the original wolfenstein 3D, so i've seen/played almost all theTo all you rate HL2 higher than 5 you are not doing HL2/valve or fellow gamers any favours. do NOT encourage valve to create another slightly-above average game. if you like to compare with doom3, then HL2 rates perhaps 7. i dunno who the raters are and they dont know me. however, my FPS-credentials started with the original wolfenstein 3D, so i've seen/played almost all the 'worthwhile' FPS until HL2. for all the new innovations (physics, facial mimic) valve fails to make the most of it. with physics we have little and easy puzzles that involves weight and counter weight - in kinder-garden are we? for human-face mimicry, minimal use in-game and lots for "story-line cut-scene". meaning it does little for gameplay. immersion you say? well, was the FinalFantasyMovie conviced anyone it was real? it was not mean to be right? but just what computer technology is capable of. we are not suppose to fall-in-luv with high-polygon-count characters are we? HL was alot better in terms of innovations, puzzles, challenges. one weapon missing from HL2 arsenal is the strategic trip-laser-mine. why is it left out in HL2? HL2 puzzles are contrived. contrived to demonstrate the physics abilities of the game engine. ramps for the airboat? who place them there? surely not the combine who must be stationed there to stop rebels? antlion sand-traps? oh my, are we having fun 'walking' about with metal doors? yawn. then there's the countless crates freeman must destroy! oh the humanity! and what is inside these big boxes but one single clip or couple of litty bitty things. who left these around? the rebels? why didn't the combine who 'own' the place clear it up? a few nice touches were when rebels throws freeman stuff/supplies! the countless explosive-barrels! how conveniently place near combine troopers for freeman to pick off. the countless barrels! are the level-designer somewhat confused? while the levels do not seemed like levels because the environment/architecture is convincingly real the gameplay suggest an arcade shooter. there are places were if freeman do not rush the 'nest' of combine they don't stop pouring out. scripts and why they are bad. that said it all actually. more scripts=more movie like but this is a game...remember? the things that happened by scripts/triggers MUST seem incidental or a direct cause of player's actions. the player in real-time causes stuff to happen, thus the joys of interacting with the game-world. like closing a door would stop a dumb flesh-zombie from entering. if the game-world pretends to be the real-world then everything should be happening simultaneously at will. the arrival of an interactive-agent, you, would immediately begin to cause effects on the environment and NPCs but thru AI not scripts. bad scripts example: it is somewhat odd dog knew to open a gap BEFORE freeman knew he had no where else to go? or if you reload a segment over and over the scripts played like a broken record? this indicate poor AI to AI interactions and AI to player interactions. Scripts are cheap and their novelty wears thin fast. scripts are much too linear, just like HL2 game/level design. exploration and wondering around is discouraged. there are a few 'secret' places to find for rewards but freeman was just being strung along. HL2 didn't try to be rainbow6. the squad you "command" are just as dumb. they mill about blocking your way or utter polite 'sorrys' and try to get out of your way. they cannot obey a simple (of two) command to stay out of trouble. while they seem to admire freeman they just never listen to him for long. there are so many thing poorly done with HL2 that it felt rush. very abrupt ending. instead of a scientist caught in something way, way over his head which he must overcome in HL, freeman becomes little more than a puppet-on-a-string. the mysterious G-Man acts mysterious, like a angel or devil nearby but not involved other than to have this condensening tone of speech. one just expected much more from valve but it does not materialize. the only thing that did was the G-man, at the end to stop the show... HL2 is merely counting on existing HL-fans and not trying to win new ones, not with short gameplay (someone 'compress' gameplay to about 3-4hrs), not with low replayability (if you knew what you knew you would play it over and over again because each time it is a little different or just as fun), not with weak (copied and mixed up from originals like 1984, aliens, resident evil/zombie flicks/starship-troopers/matrix) story line, not with steam. much like when valve came out of HL little known newcomer Far Cry does a good job (it is also linear but you can take your own sweat-time) surpassing kings of the hill - the Doom and HL series... ok for all high-raters, play it again sam? then rate it again. Expand
  97. PalliN.
    Dec 28, 2004
    Game equals 8, steam equals 0 and that makes the overall 4. Seriously valve, what the hell you were thinking with the steam crap? Or weren't.
  98. RK
    Jan 17, 2005
    Facial twitches alone don't make for a good game. I can't believe this game's getting such good reviews. We waited for HOW long for this game, and this is what they come up with? Technically, it's got good graphics and a physics engine and all that stuff. Like any id game. If you're going to blast id games for being shallow, then HL2 should get blasted as well. Facial twitches alone don't make for a good game. I can't believe this game's getting such good reviews. We waited for HOW long for this game, and this is what they come up with? Technically, it's got good graphics and a physics engine and all that stuff. Like any id game. If you're going to blast id games for being shallow, then HL2 should get blasted as well. The single player is nothing more than a tech demo. Wow, Steam is great. Now get back to work on actual games. The game is overly scripted, with little to no creativity allowed in how you decide to play the game. Games like Far Cry at least partially allowed you to explore other ways of getting your mission accomplished. The feel of the game is simply hollow. You have an environment that you can interact with, but most of the time, do nothing with except solve a few rather simpleminded puzzles. Even with the AI companions it feels lifeless. It's really like playing an unfinished alpha of a game. Games like Max Payne feel much more lifelike with a storyline (yes, storyline) woven in with the gameplay. With HL2, you're not really building up any decent plot, not meeting new characters (with any sort of frequency that break what seem to be incredibly long dry spells of unimaginative gameplay), or even building up your suit or weapons. You feel like you are, quite literally, just shuffling yourself from Point A to Point B for most of the game. There are other games that deserve a 97. Half-Life 2 isn't one of them. Not even close. Expand
  99. MatthijsM.
    Feb 8, 2005
    I don't get what makes people get turned on from this game. So many promises but nothing actually came true. - Totally usable environment (picking up a few wooden cabins?) - Great AI (the stupidest AI from bots ever...) - Briliant Graphics (Seen better on lots of games) The game is not worth the money, HalfLife 1 still is a classic which had lots of good moments but to me Half Life 2 I don't get what makes people get turned on from this game. So many promises but nothing actually came true. - Totally usable environment (picking up a few wooden cabins?) - Great AI (the stupidest AI from bots ever...) - Briliant Graphics (Seen better on lots of games) The game is not worth the money, HalfLife 1 still is a classic which had lots of good moments but to me Half Life 2 is just a disgrace to the first part. Thats what the 6 is for. Expand
  100. BryanN.
    Mar 16, 2005
    Okay...The graphics are nice, and the environment and effects are amazing, you can break a box into 2 pieces, and then 4 and 8,16...yeah whatever. However, Stream is a BIG problem, and the a.i sucks man, often, the a.i doesn't do what they are supposed to do, and when that happens, you are unable to complete the game.

3. Playboy