9.2

1. AnonymousMC
    Apr 6, 2008
    By far one of the best games on the market, the beautiful graphics are backed up by one of the most engaging story lines, and an amazing physics engine, make this a required play. The use of Zombies in the game is also great, they spring out at you from the most unexpected places. This game has few faults, one of those is that they can't get the new episodes out fast enough, anotherBy far one of the best games on the market, the beautiful graphics are backed up by one of the most engaging story lines, and an amazing physics engine, make this a required play. The use of Zombies in the game is also great, they spring out at you from the most unexpected places. This game has few faults, one of those is that they can't get the new episodes out fast enough, another is the bad team system, but that is negligible.

In short, if they like FPSs, or even if you don't, get this game.
  2. AnonymousMC
    Jul 1, 2008
    This is a really awesome game! even after playing it a bunch of times there are still things that i havent seen.... if you rated it 0 just because of steam taking forever etc etc then your internet sucks = and people complaining about Gordon being a silent hero.... retards.... like saying its stupid that master chief never shows his face.
  3. AnonymousMC
    Jul 17, 2008
    True fact, this is one of the best first person shooters ever released.
    Halo may top charts in sales and release "excitement" but content isnt anywhere near as good.

And as a reply to "Nick C."
    It IS rated a mature game, which is 4 years above your age.

Great story, great graphics, great physics, best gameplay.
  4. AnonymousMC
    Oct 30, 2008
    Believe me, i would rate this 20/10 if i could. Utterly excellent game - i have played the series around 5 times now and i have not stopped. I can hardly find anything bad about it; it was just so immersive, something i have found many, many other games lack. Favourite bit: killing hordes of headcrabs with only a crowbar. I would probably rate this either best or second best game i haveBelieve me, i would rate this 20/10 if i could. Utterly excellent game - i have played the series around 5 times now and i have not stopped. I can hardly find anything bad about it; it was just so immersive, something i have found many, many other games lack. Favourite bit: killing hordes of headcrabs with only a crowbar. I would probably rate this either best or second best game i have ever played. Fantastic! Expand
  5. AnonymousMC
    Nov 29, 2008
    brilliant game completed it 4 times but the graphics are nice so are models althouth through the game you see replica team mates that anoys me otherwise all is great i could complete the game in about 4 hours its all about having a good puzzle and action mind valve has really pushed its self forward from half-life 1
  6. AnonymousMC
    Nov 30, 2008
    Released in late '04, this game was a triumph of graphical achievement. Even today, the source engine stands up incredibly well and is one of the least demanding of your system. The game itself was amazing, mind blowing, and altogether almost perfect. Those folks at Valve know how to pump out quality software.
  7. AnonymousMC
    Dec 10, 2008
    The game is just awesome. The Graph, the texture, the effects, the fysics! And all this can be runned with high settings and good resolution with even a crappy computer (compared these days). Other developers of games around the world should make note about this game, -> how to run great graphics, and still not be a power eater. And act acordingly. Even dispite the fact that the game isThe game is just awesome. The Graph, the texture, the effects, the fysics! And all this can be runned with high settings and good resolution with even a crappy computer (compared these days). Other developers of games around the world should make note about this game, -> how to run great graphics, and still not be a power eater. And act acordingly. Even dispite the fact that the game is all about solo action. Just doesent matter. Its just so awesome. Expand
  8. AnonymousMC
    Jan 6, 2009
    From start to finish, Half-Life 2 is an amazing ride. Stunningly beautiful graphics and fluid gameplay make for a smooth play through an epic plot. The characters are great, the source engine shines from start to finish and nothing beats the thrill of beating the tar out of zombies with a crowbar when you're on 20 health and you've run out of ammo.

All in all, Half-Life 2 gets

All in all, Half-Life 2 gets a straight up 10 from me.
  9. AnonymousMC
    Jan 16, 2009
    A Brilliant entry into a brilliant series. On an engine that looks great when compared to some of the modern games, it's no wonder why this was such an eye popper when it first came out. That, and the system requirements are incredibly low. Buy it, if not for the game, for the story and the ever so atmospheric levels.
  10. AnonymousMC
    Feb 16, 2009
    Excellent revolutionary game and anyone who says something else is either retarded/stupid or a total noob in PC gaming. Also, for the ones who say the opposite, Steam is a great platform that enables you to buy games online, download them on any PC and it also offers you automatic updates and great online gaming.

This is one of the best games ever.
  11. AnonymousMC
    Jun 26, 2009
    Okay im not going to say THIS GAME IS FUCKING GREAT... well it is byt thats not for me to decide... thats for you. but if you were to ask me... this game has amazing graphics and phisyics from sorce and the gameplay and story line is just finominal...
    10/10 valve... you did it again.
  12. AnonymousMC
    Jul 2, 2009
    Very good game people giving it 1 either it didnt work for them or it was two hard i think the game is challenging sometimes annoying but hands down for its time its the best game in 2003 04 and 05 i think nothing was comparing to half life in those days so 10 nice job valve i love your games keep it up
  13. HelpU
    Jul 19, 2009
    I consider 7 to be average. I mean compared to the first half of half-life the puzzles and enemies of half-life 2 are laughable and unimaginative. The only good qualities of this game is that it has good graphics and sound but that is a flaw in trying to make a lasting impression because, in the future( I can't believe it either) graphics and sound will be better than this, thus, in I consider 7 to be average. I mean compared to the first half of half-life the puzzles and enemies of half-life 2 are laughable and unimaginative. The only good qualities of this game is that it has good graphics and sound but that is a flaw in trying to make a lasting impression because, in the future( I can't believe it either) graphics and sound will be better than this, thus, in essence, this game is no more than a technological demonstration because its not really that imaginative. Expand
  14. AnonymousMC
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sure it's boring when you complete it but the first time I played it in 2005 I thought it was really nice, the graphics aren't to bad. I don't recommend this for new gamers though since it needs some more time to think etc.

The AI Rebels helping you isn't so good but who cares. The face posing is really nice, what more could you want? Valve has done a great job!
  15. AnonymousMC
    Aug 4, 2009
    best game ever. every second is heart pounding. i found myself hating the citadel as much as i hate hitler. the soldiers and graphics are amazing. its a complete view of what a futuristic holocaust would be like. the machines are so scary and you find yourself wanting to save your fellow rebels and wanting to kill every solider that has anything to do with Dr. greene.
  16. AnonymousMC
    Aug 4, 2009
    I played the first Half-Life, I do have to say the first Half-Life was much more challenging. However, Half-Life 2 has a better first person shooting system (I don't die in 2 seconds). Graphics are great even for its' time. I think the reason why this game really gets a nine is because the story is amazing. 9 out of 10.
  17. BobB
    Aug 9, 2009
    This game still exceeds every wannabe first-person shooter game made after it and most likely still will for years to come. Half-Life 2 has horror, action, comedy, puzzle, and sci-fi woven into it brilliantly and beautifully around every corner. It combines every aspect a gamer could possibly want in video game. The breathtaking graphics and wonderful personality of every character make This game still exceeds every wannabe first-person shooter game made after it and most likely still will for years to come. Half-Life 2 has horror, action, comedy, puzzle, and sci-fi woven into it brilliantly and beautifully around every corner. It combines every aspect a gamer could possibly want in video game. The breathtaking graphics and wonderful personality of every character make this game historical,not only for FPS standards, but for any sort of game available. Expand
  18. AnonymousMC
    Aug 20, 2009
    I rarely give anything a 10, but Half-Life is really the only game I know that perfects almost every aspect of FPS gaming, and of which I can say is in an entire league of it's own. I can play it over and over again and not get tired of anything but the lack of things to criticize. Great story, clean gameplay, and fantastic visuals and atmosphere- It's a legend.
  19. AnonymousMC
    Aug 22, 2009
    When i played the demo i was like WOW i need the orange box.When i got the orange box i was like this isnt the best.its just a normal fps game but great idea of story but just after chapter 8 you are bored.but the game is fine because you can play synergy dystopia and lots more if you have hl2
  20. BernhardF
    Aug 25, 2009
    I thought HL2 was a fantastic game, and that the water was especially impressive, although for some totally inexplicable reason they forgot to add any displacement physics, meaning that stuff put into the water mysteriously contains water even if its solid. I really enjoyed the Nova Prospekt level too. Ravenholm was tolerable, but after a while, the fun of beating headcrabs with a crowbar I thought HL2 was a fantastic game, and that the water was especially impressive, although for some totally inexplicable reason they forgot to add any displacement physics, meaning that stuff put into the water mysteriously contains water even if its solid. I really enjoyed the Nova Prospekt level too. Ravenholm was tolerable, but after a while, the fun of beating headcrabs with a crowbar kinda wears off. Four things missing from this game: 1) Displacement physics in the Source engine 2) A dual-wield weapon/item hold system- anyone else remember the chair-pistol wield from Return to Castle Wolfenstein? I liked that. Also, wielding 2 pistols in Route Kanal would be fun. 3) The sniper rifle. There is actually code for one there somewhere, honest, but its not a usable weapon as there are no models. 4) Flyable vehicles. Okay, so we have a boat level, a car level, a foot level... why not stick a chopper on the roof of that building by the citadel and fly through C17 strafing the striders? Finally, I have had no problems with Steam, in fact, I love it. It makes it so much easier to have a combined game browser (all my non-steam games have shortcuts there), and a chat feature which shows the game you are playing and if it is a multiplayer game, a join the server feature. Finally a reliable game organisation and multiplayer co-ordination system that works. And yes, I've tried most of them. GameSpy is adequate. GameShadow is a waste of space. HyperLobby is tolerable. But Steam? For me, it is great. No problems ever. Expand
  21. AnonymousMC
    Aug 27, 2009
    Half Life 2 is an amazing game. It combines (no pun intended) strategic combat with puzzles and difficulty. As you escape from city 17 you can feel the adrenaline kicking in, with the music and sound effects creating this scary mood. It is a relatively old game, but has tons better graphics and gameplay than Call of Duty 4. The game has so much to think about that you are immediatelyHalf Life 2 is an amazing game. It combines (no pun intended) strategic combat with puzzles and difficulty. As you escape from city 17 you can feel the adrenaline kicking in, with the music and sound effects creating this scary mood. It is a relatively old game, but has tons better graphics and gameplay than Call of Duty 4. The game has so much to think about that you are immediately immersed in Gordon Freeman's life. Half Life is one of the few games that is a classic. Expand
  22. AnonymousMC
    Aug 30, 2009
    Half-Life 2 is just one amazing game. I played the original Half-Life when it came out, and after I beat it, I eagerly awaited the second. Fast-forwarding 9 years, I hear about Half-Life 2 coming out, and I am so amazed I can hardly contain myself.
    They did Half-Life justice. I consider this the best FPS story-wise and just an all around amazing game.
    Who is the G-Man? Who does he work
    Who is the G-Man? Who does he work for? Why Gorden Freeman?
    In the Future, I hope to have these questioned answered!
  23. AnonymousMC
    Aug 31, 2009
    This game is what I call a masterpiece, good graphics for a 04' game, the best story line I've seen. I personally I love the havok engine, the way you have a enviroment where you can interact with almoust anything is great! You feel a lot more involved and free in the level, and thats why this game deserves a ten!
  24. AnonymousMC
    Oct 6, 2009
    This game is the gratest I ever played, it tells a wonderfull story full of action and feelins, not all creatures are real, but it's very realistic. Besides that it gives you a lot of weapons and all the stuff to fight, u just can pic up a glas-bottle and throw it with the gravitrax so hard it flys som 100 meters, other than, it also gives ya houndreds of cars and boats and busses orThis game is the gratest I ever played, it tells a wonderfull story full of action and feelins, not all creatures are real, but it's very realistic. Besides that it gives you a lot of weapons and all the stuff to fight, u just can pic up a glas-bottle and throw it with the gravitrax so hard it flys som 100 meters, other than, it also gives ya houndreds of cars and boats and busses or trains you can drive mwith. ITS REALLY GREAT!!!! Expand
  25. elliotw
    Oct 11, 2009
    Half life 2 review Half life 2 is undoubtedly one of the greatest fps
  26. Hiliomar|Iced|
    Oct 14, 2009
    Quite simply an amazing game, i do not agree with mikael who gave it a 6 and said the team ai was weak, it was simply good enough to want to finish the game. Althrough the game the most fun weapon was of course the gravity gun. picking up things and throwing them around was very enjoying and throwing explosives barrels at the enemy was fantastic. Thanks Valve For making such an fantastic game.
  27. AnonymousMC
    Oct 18, 2009
    Best game ever made. SECOND TO NONE!
    I remember playing Half-Life. Thinking that it was the best game ever created and that no game company would ever surpass it. Then Half-Life 2 came out. HOLY CRAP!!
    If you haven't played this game, then you do not deserve to be called "hardcore" or a "gamer, or any combination thereof. The entire Half-Life series crushes any other game on the
    Best game ever made. SECOND TO NONE!
    The entire Half-Life series crushes any other game on the market and most likely any game to be introduced to the video game market for quite a while. Even Halo, which is quite overrated to be honest.
    Buy it. It's like what, $10 at most? Oh and get Half-Life 1 as well, and the expansion packs: Opposing Force, and Blue Shift; and get Episode 1 & 2 for HL2. Oh, and get Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead, and...
    Okay, okay, just make sure to get the WHOLE Half-life series for maximum enjoyment!
  28. KennethW.
    Oct 25, 2004
    This game looks awsome even better then doom 3.
  29. LukeM.
    Oct 31, 2004
    Best Game Ever!!!!
  30. Krillan
    Oct 27, 2004
    Fantastic!!!
  31. GlennP.
    Nov 17, 2004
    This game is the best FPS I've ever seen. The graphics engine is absolutely stunning - I have no idea how they got it to look so AWESOME on my ATI 9500 Pro video card - it looks better than Far-Cry with twice the framerate. I spent the first 30 minutes of the game with my jaw literally hanging open - this game is the new standard that all FPS games will have to meet.
  32. RichK.
    Nov 17, 2004
    As far as first person shooters go, it's certainly one of the best. But simply improving another idea (no matter how much) does not mean original. It's basically a better version of every other FPS. Quite an accomplishment but only to the FPS genre. Not to mention it'll cost you a few hundred bucks to upgrade your computer if you wanna run it.
  33. BobbyJ.
    Nov 17, 2004
    This is game is just... WOW, Valve really outdone themselves with this one, in fact, theyve outdone every other game out there, I mean the graphics, sound, and every thing else. This game is a definite buy for any PC gamer. :)
  34. AnthonyS.
    Oct 27, 2004
    Best game ever made. Period. This game, its gameplay, graphics, storyline, and creativity are simply and utterly flawless. It is undeniably the first game in history to ever surpass all expectations of a video game. Add to that the amazing multiplayer capabilities that the game is open to, and we have ourselves a winner.
  35. RonitC.
    Nov 15, 2004
    Does Half Life 1 proud...buy this game.
  36. DeaneE.
    Nov 16, 2004
    Played the game up at Valve's offices. Let me say: disappointed, you won't be. This game would have been great even if it was just a room with physics objects and the manipulator. But they built a game around that awesomeness that shines in almost every area. You're in for a treat. :)
  37. OliverH.
    Nov 16, 2004
    More sleepless nights and C-S-2!!!!!
  38. BlakeC
    Nov 15, 2004
    It ROCK's
  39. MarcD.
    Nov 23, 2004
    A well-polished FPS with, both, a strong single and multiplayer mode. Fans of CS will love the new Source version and the people who loved the pacing of the original Half-Life will relive the love affair they had with the first game's single-player campaign. Great stuff.
  40. S.S.
    Nov 16, 2004
    it's about time, and it's FREAKING unbelieveable.
  41. Flanders
    Nov 16, 2004
    I love the texture resolution in this game.. things look almost real. As for gameplay, I was able to rip the TV out of the wall, walk it down the hall, and chuck it in the face of the guard... awesome!
  42. SteveA.
    Nov 23, 2004
    All incredible, but what's up with the ending?
  43. BrianS.
    Nov 23, 2004
    This game is without a doubt the best game I have ever played. Storyline, characters, physics, graphics. its all the best ever done in a game.
  44. LindenC.
    Nov 22, 2004
    Awesome but not perfect, not sold with half life source and all that without paying more thats bullsh*t.
  45. CrayHorse
    Nov 28, 2004
    Half-Life 2 is good, but grossly overrated. Yes, the graphics are eye-popping on the latest video hardware, and the physics is a lot of fun. But the game has long repetetive stretches which are mind-numbingly tedious. Unlike Halo 1/2, riding the vehicles in Half-Life 2 is so tedious that I've come to dread their appearance. At the end of the day, Doom 3 is a better game and a better Half-Life 2 is good, but grossly overrated. Yes, the graphics are eye-popping on the latest video hardware, and the physics is a lot of fun. But the game has long repetetive stretches which are mind-numbingly tedious. Unlike Halo 1/2, riding the vehicles in Half-Life 2 is so tedious that I've come to dread their appearance. At the end of the day, Doom 3 is a better game and a better gaming experience. Expand
  46. SpankMonkey
    Nov 27, 2004
    Game very good but not best. Starcraft is still better. to TONY THE PIRATE how much did you pay for you're 'copy' of HL2? ;) hahaha my bad.
  47. JakeV.
    Nov 28, 2004
    Best Game Ever made and Ctf is kick ass I can't stop Playing... A+
  48. TomV.
    Nov 29, 2004
    It's refreshing to see that not as many people are attempting to earn some sort of geek-cred by dissing this stupidly fantastic piece of gaming artistry. J.J. either has not played the game, or is droolingly stupid. Giving a game like this anything below an eight doesn't make any sense. The art, the technology and the game design are all unprecedented, and that's all there It's refreshing to see that not as many people are attempting to earn some sort of geek-cred by dissing this stupidly fantastic piece of gaming artistry. J.J. either has not played the game, or is droolingly stupid. Giving a game like this anything below an eight doesn't make any sense. The art, the technology and the game design are all unprecedented, and that's all there is to it. It's not counter-culture to disrespect the faultless and flawless, it's just criminally stupid, and anyone who does it ought to be ashamed. Expand
  49. DaveyZ.
    Nov 29, 2004
    Anyone who says this game is overrated doesn't know what they're talking about. This game was ridiculously intensely fun all the way through. The game was pretty long and i still cursed and was disappointed when it ended...the ending sequence was so fun. Linear game? Yes...it is a fps (most of them tend to be). If you want a non-linear game play vampire bloodlines...you'll Anyone who says this game is overrated doesn't know what they're talking about. This game was ridiculously intensely fun all the way through. The game was pretty long and i still cursed and was disappointed when it ended...the ending sequence was so fun. Linear game? Yes...it is a fps (most of them tend to be). If you want a non-linear game play vampire bloodlines...you'll come crawling back to hl2 w/in 10 minutes. Best game made up till now. Expand
  50. Batmanactually
    Nov 29, 2004
    I played this game like crazy its so awesome!!!!!! beat it like an hour ago...I wanted to play more...I didnt want it to end!!! everyone giving it under an 8 just dont know anything about fps games...this game had tons of work put into it thats why it is so great...and Cray Horse you said that Half-Life 2 got repetitive...and you said Doom 3 was a better game...Doom 3 is the repetitive I played this game like crazy its so awesome!!!!!! beat it like an hour ago...I wanted to play more...I didnt want it to end!!! everyone giving it under an 8 just dont know anything about fps games...this game had tons of work put into it thats why it is so great...and Cray Horse you said that Half-Life 2 got repetitive...and you said Doom 3 was a better game...Doom 3 is the repetitive and worse game...I beat Half-Life 2 in 3 days...I havent even bothered to beat Doom 3 even after 3 months... Expand
  51. InTheBiz
    Dec 2, 2004
    As someone who works for EA [Ed: hmm...], and I'm not really supposed to admit that online, Halflife 2 is the most ass-kickinest, corpse-flinginest, physics perfected, polished piece of envy enducing ambrosia to have ever graced my computer. Having just finished it, I need to find a methadone clinic before I start suffering withdrawls. Mad-Props to the Valve crew.
  52. Capiche
    Dec 10, 2004
    You idiot jeffthejiff. valve had been working on this game for years and you call it LAST MINUTE? they put years and years of their lives into something that you call LAST MINUTE????? the physics themself warrant years of toying, the graphics arent as advanced as doom but look just as good, and the gameplay is great.
  53. DavidC.
    Dec 13, 2004
    Best first person shooter since.. well, since Half-Life. Not my favourite genre, but I am absolutely _loving_ this. The most visceral experience I've ever had from a PC game.
  54. V.Z.
    Dec 12, 2004
    I wouldn't go as far and give it a ten. in fact, I almost gave it an 8. Half-Life 2 is another Half-Life, so if you liked the first game, you will love playing through the second. ONCE. The game has little replay value, and scripting in general can't be blamed for it. I played the first Half-life a couple of times and had fun. I got the feeling that something aobut the way this I wouldn't go as far and give it a ten. in fact, I almost gave it an 8. Half-Life 2 is another Half-Life, so if you liked the first game, you will love playing through the second. ONCE. The game has little replay value, and scripting in general can't be blamed for it. I played the first Half-life a couple of times and had fun. I got the feeling that something aobut the way this game is put together makes a replay less fun. Is it the story, that starts promising but becomes weaker? Is it the fact that the game is not as revolutional as the first (while Far Cry, sorry to say that, was)? I don't know. Anyway, Half-life 2 is a great, amazing trip the first time round, which would deserve a score of 11. But that's pretty much it. Oh, this score is only for single player, btw. I always wanted to try Counterstrike, but I still never did. Expand
  55. ChrisO.
    Dec 15, 2004
    The game is good, but I don't think it's the second coming that everyone seems to think it is. The graphics are good, but inferior to Doom 3's and even FarCry's, level loading occurs way to often and takes way too long and pulls you out of the mood, Steam sucks badly, disappointing multiplayer (yay! more Counter Strike!!), no variety in enemies, too linear single The game is good, but I don't think it's the second coming that everyone seems to think it is. The graphics are good, but inferior to Doom 3's and even FarCry's, level loading occurs way to often and takes way too long and pulls you out of the mood, Steam sucks badly, disappointing multiplayer (yay! more Counter Strike!!), no variety in enemies, too linear single player component, and while the physics system is very, very nice, without the grav-gun, it'd be a non-issue. Good game, but I thought Id did better. Expand
  56. Steinerwarriorhl2
    Nov 17, 2004
    Best game ever. NO DOUBT. Who isn't a fan, play it and you will be a fan.
  57. SamN.
    Wow.
  58. JayL.
    Nov 17, 2004
    Everything that Doom 3 in all it's disappointment wasn't. Simply amazing.
  59. ArenM.
    Nov 17, 2004
    Excellent gaming experience. My only beef is the long load times throughout the game. This however can be overlooked due to the perfection of every other aspect. BUY IT!
  60. EricW.
    Nov 17, 2004
    A beautiful piece of art, perfection in it's purest state. Half-Life 2 set the new bar for game devolopment. The mod community will insure your investment for years to come.
  61. BuddyLove
    Nov 17, 2004
    I bought the DVD version of this game and it totally still rocks. This year's best FPS and the most gorgeous graphics. You will not be disappointed. It also include the first Hlaf Life & Counter-Strike: Source.
  62. DougD.
    Nov 19, 2004
    This game floored me the moment I stepped off the train. It's graphics and physics engine is truly incredible. Although Jon Carmack (Founder, lead developer of id; DOOM) shouldn't lose any sleep over his masterpiece, the SOURCE engine is truly amazing. Eyes follow your moves while their head moves in the other direction, awesome. The physics, like the graphics, are also one of a This game floored me the moment I stepped off the train. It's graphics and physics engine is truly incredible. Although Jon Carmack (Founder, lead developer of id; DOOM) shouldn't lose any sleep over his masterpiece, the SOURCE engine is truly amazing. Eyes follow your moves while their head moves in the other direction, awesome. The physics, like the graphics, are also one of a kind. What brings this review down to a 9 for me is the story. It had so much potential, but ultimately fails which is truly awful because it puts a minor dent in the armor of the best FPS since the original Half Life. Expand
  63. BitBurn
    Nov 18, 2004
    Installation was brutal. Had to restart like 5 times because one of the file wouldn
  64. DavidM.
    Nov 18, 2004
    It is the best game ever. I Love it.
  65. Dimi
    Nov 18, 2004
    #best physics engine in a fps ever, you can "feel" and handle objects in a way never possible before. #most details textures in a fps ever, extremly detailed walls etc. #rich story compared to other fps. no doubt doom3 and others have a hard time matching the story depth in HL2. i believe that there are to many fps released nowadays, all fps gives you a feeling of quantity rather than #best physics engine in a fps ever, you can "feel" and handle objects in a way never possible before. #most details textures in a fps ever, extremly detailed walls etc. #rich story compared to other fps. no doubt doom3 and others have a hard time matching the story depth in HL2. i believe that there are to many fps released nowadays, all fps gives you a feeling of quantity rather than quality. But this one feels no doubt a as meaningful and supereb release, even tough we have seen much of this before, the above mentioned makes this propably one of the best FPS to date. Expand
  66. RetR.
    Amazing.
  67. Cyberxero
    Nov 19, 2004
    Wooooohoooooooooo!!!This game is by far the probably the best FPS ever to be made.The graphics are beautiful, the sound is great, A.I is simply awesome, physics are a real treat and gameplay is just awesome. It for sure beats Doom 3, Halo 2 and even Farcry as an FPS. The story line is perfect just as the first Half-life story line was. The game is frantic, intense and almost scarily Wooooohoooooooooo!!!This game is by far the probably the best FPS ever to be made.The graphics are beautiful, the sound is great, A.I is simply awesome, physics are a real treat and gameplay is just awesome. It for sure beats Doom 3, Halo 2 and even Farcry as an FPS. The story line is perfect just as the first Half-life story line was. The game is frantic, intense and almost scarily real.Over all if you saved up enough for a FPS dont hesitate and go for HL2. Truly the best FPS out there. PLus if your done with the campaign,there is a multiplayer mode sort of like tactical-ops but wayyyyyyyyy better!! So go and buy HL2 now! =) Expand
  68. K.M.
    Nov 18, 2004
    You heard all the accolades and rave reviews...so I can't praise this game any further...all I can add, after playing the first few chapters, is that never before have I been so involved as a character in a game. Wow - every bullet I dodge, every hit I take, every inch I fall, it all feels like it's so real...no, it is real, or at least after a while your mind's gonna tell You heard all the accolades and rave reviews...so I can't praise this game any further...all I can add, after playing the first few chapters, is that never before have I been so involved as a character in a game. Wow - every bullet I dodge, every hit I take, every inch I fall, it all feels like it's so real...no, it is real, or at least after a while your mind's gonna tell you so. This in my humble opinion is the greatest achievement in action gaming, bar none. Don't take my word for it, grab your crowbar and step into the world that is City 17. Games like this are few and far in between. Enjoy it while it's here folks. Expand
  69. MickT.
    Nov 18, 2004
    Very good production quality but the story bites. i prefered halo 2 over this. now before all u halo haters come and beat me up i have one very simple explanation. i did not feel involved in the story as much as i have other titles( eg. zelda oot and halo) i appreciate the (mostly) good reviews on this site. as aposed to halo 2 where a million people gave it a hundred. deserved 98 at most.Very good production quality but the story bites. i prefered halo 2 over this. now before all u halo haters come and beat me up i have one very simple explanation. i did not feel involved in the story as much as i have other titles( eg. zelda oot and halo) i appreciate the (mostly) good reviews on this site. as aposed to halo 2 where a million people gave it a hundred. deserved 98 at most. i give this game 7/10. Expand
  70. MattW.
    Nov 21, 2004
    The best game ever. better than anything else, halo 2 good game, but nothing compared to this. the story is great and i think it sets the scene perfectly for a sequel. and how good that would be.
  71. Mr.Fajardo
    Nov 25, 2004
    Like 6 years ago, HL 2 will make you to forget ANY FPS around. Let the mods begin !!
  72. TheSourceG
    Nov 17, 2004
    The best game Ive ever played. Its just out of this world. The graphics are so good you really feel like your there. Takes physics to a whole new level. I guess its true, good things come to those who wait.
  73. BrianR.
    Nov 17, 2004
    Load times aside (steam or otherwise) this is one of the best crafted games out there.
  74. DigitalDevil
    Nov 26, 2004
    Get it now!
  75. Ben
    Nov 18, 2004
    This game is the best fps i have ever played. the physics are freaking amazig.
  76. BlakeT.
    Nov 20, 2004
    Unbelievable!
  77. JeremyB.
    Nov 21, 2004
    Everything I expected and more. Only one time before has a game delivered on what the hype promised. That other game was the first Half-Life of course. Developer Valve has done what all other contenders tried but could not accomplish. That being truly emmersing the player into the world that has been meticulisly created. Technical achievments aside, this game brings with it the visceral Everything I expected and more. Only one time before has a game delivered on what the hype promised. That other game was the first Half-Life of course. Developer Valve has done what all other contenders tried but could not accomplish. That being truly emmersing the player into the world that has been meticulisly created. Technical achievments aside, this game brings with it the visceral action and emotional components that you would normaly find only in a blockbuster hollywood movie. I just hope its not another 6 years before we get to play Half-Life 3. Expand
  78. StealthGod
    Nov 17, 2004
    Awesome game. The graphics are awesome, the audio is great, the story is as good as the first. I love it!
  79. J.J.
    Good game bad story.
  80. BobB.
    Dec 6, 2004
    It's hard to believe Valve managed to pull such an honorable follow-up to the number 1 FPS ever made. Outstanding! However, I thought it was a little short. Or was I that absorbed into the action that time went that fast?! ;-)
  81. SammyJ.
    Nov 17, 2004
    An absolutely stunning game. The Gamespot review is way off. Not that HL2 is flawless, but it's so close you don't care. This game will blow you away, whether or not you were a Half-Life fan to start with. Way better than Halo 2 or Doom 3.
  82. J.D.
    Nov 17, 2004
    Finally - a game to match the hype. The only pleading requests I have in order to fully justify perfection... Give us Team Fortress 2. Give us more CS:S maps and models. Give us HL2 based multiplayer options (e.g. grav gun deathmatch. with saws.) With the inevitable influx of user-made mods and maps we will probably be playing HL2 for the next 6 years. But don't rest on your laurels, Finally - a game to match the hype. The only pleading requests I have in order to fully justify perfection... Give us Team Fortress 2. Give us more CS:S maps and models. Give us HL2 based multiplayer options (e.g. grav gun deathmatch. with saws.) With the inevitable influx of user-made mods and maps we will probably be playing HL2 for the next 6 years. But don't rest on your laurels, Valve. We will only be expecting more from you next time. Expand
  83. OmniboteSmith
    Dec 6, 2004
    Zaminiski. If you're going to ramble about nothing for twelve pages, dignify your thoughts by at least demonstrating a fourth-grade-level knowledge of spelling and punctuation. Your vast experience, stretching all the way back to Wolfenstein, has apparently turned you into a very confused and bitter person with no taste or insight whatsoever. It wears me out that a game this Zaminiski. If you're going to ramble about nothing for twelve pages, dignify your thoughts by at least demonstrating a fourth-grade-level knowledge of spelling and punctuation. Your vast experience, stretching all the way back to Wolfenstein, has apparently turned you into a very confused and bitter person with no taste or insight whatsoever. It wears me out that a game this fantastic can be released, which absolutely excels from the art to the gameplay to the technology, and some hopeless, ignorant turd will attempt to deride it. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY? "This game is a game. It has lots of stuff in it that games have. People like this game--I will be praised for exposing it for what it truly is!" You are not wise, and your review is...well, it's embarrassing. Half-Life 2 is the long awaited reason to maintain faith in computer games. The only person who could reasonably assail such a production would be a console enthusiast that wants to discredit what is the ultimate validation of the PC gaming platform and the harbinger of that platform's inevitable domination. Expand
  84. ChrisD.
    Nov 18, 2004
    Best Game Ever, this game has had so much effort put into it. But then again, it has been 5 years in the making. I think this beat the crap out of halo 2 which is a boring FPS that has no skill to it. Best game EVER and will stand the test of time.
  85. LokeszHarm
    Nov 18, 2004
    Very impressed with the emotional expression of the human characters. Bit disappointed with sound quality. The same tech problems as hl1, this time on my totally upgraded super turbo PC! Maybe they have still the same sound programmer?
  86. Half-life2Fan
    Nov 16, 2004
    This game is the best I have ever seen!!!
  87. Bobby
    Nov 16, 2004
    Amazing singleplayer game, it keeps you in the game full time. Beautiful graphics, beautiful sound, beautiful animations everything is beautiful
  88. JeromeD.
    Nov 21, 2004
    Completely awesome, best game i've ever played, probably best game i'll have played for quite some time to come. Valve owns all.
  89. EricH.
    Nov 21, 2004
    While I wish there were decimals between 9 and 10 (after all, it wasn't perfect), this has definitely been the most enjoyable First-Person Shooter I have ever played. The levels are very linear, but that didn't stop the gameplay from being amazing. The AI, despite what some have said, is pretty good. You can sneak up behind them, there isn't any of that "line of sight" While I wish there were decimals between 9 and 10 (after all, it wasn't perfect), this has definitely been the most enjoyable First-Person Shooter I have ever played. The levels are very linear, but that didn't stop the gameplay from being amazing. The AI, despite what some have said, is pretty good. You can sneak up behind them, there isn't any of that "line of sight" crap. In conclusion, this game comes with my unqualified recommendation... if you make it through steam. Expand
  90. Mickj
    Nov 21, 2004
    I'm sorry, u probably wont want to post this but i didnt know how else to get in touch with u [Ed] . how many of these user reviews to do have to look at every day and does the one person do all of them for all of metacritic? [Ed: A bunch, and yes, it's just me.]
  91. DivineMethod
    Dec 9, 2004
    The source engine and the graphics have a lot going for it, but when it comes down to creativity this game falls short. 10 for graphics 10 for the feel of the game 9 for the sound 8 for the fun level 5 story/ script.
  92. Konocoon-con
    Dec 8, 2004
    I think that this game is smiply amazing. This game beats and graphics of any game. Story-line, perfect. Game play has a wonderful addiction.
  93. MattB.
    Dec 17, 2004
    Cant get much better than this people! (Once you get past Steam) It is the best game I have ever played when it comes to the fps genre. Hopefully expansions in the same vein as Opposing Force are forth coming soon! Thanks Valve....
  94. JanP.
    Nov 26, 2004
    Nice engine, ending sucks. Waiting for mods.
  95. DuncanM.
    Dec 20, 2004
    I've never been a big fan of pc gaming but this game has changed that. It's like being in a movie and just so exciting. Don't understand all the comments about needing an amazing pc to play, mine's not anything special and the games runs and looks amazing. Maybe people just need to set it up right for their system instead of trying to run it on max settings on a crappy I've never been a big fan of pc gaming but this game has changed that. It's like being in a movie and just so exciting. Don't understand all the comments about needing an amazing pc to play, mine's not anything special and the games runs and looks amazing. Maybe people just need to set it up right for their system instead of trying to run it on max settings on a crappy machine? Expand
  96. TonyThePirate
    Nov 23, 2004
    Very good game. The graphics are great.....very realistic....doesn't burden your graphics card heavily (like Doom 3). The plot is good and Valve sure did a good job in getting the player immersed in the game. I was totally hooked the first time I played it. I'm not done playing but I look forward to it when I have the time.
  97. SingallZ
    Dec 23, 2004
    If anyone rates this game less then a 10, they don't own a copy and have never played an FPS. BEST GAME I'VE PLAYED, EVER!!!
  98. AlessandroT.
    Dec 21, 2004
    Yes, they got it. Valve did another masterpiece, opening the road to a new generation of FPS/adventure games. The storyboard and gameplay are amazing. Great interaction with the environment and beautiful graphic, which runs smooth on a average today computer. I generally prefer squad-based games like Hidden and Dangerous or Operation Flashpoint, but this actually beats all of them as Yes, they got it. Valve did another masterpiece, opening the road to a new generation of FPS/adventure games. The storyboard and gameplay are amazing. Great interaction with the environment and beautiful graphic, which runs smooth on a average today computer. I generally prefer squad-based games like Hidden and Dangerous or Operation Flashpoint, but this actually beats all of them as depth in gameplay. Sometimes Half life 2 is violent or disturbing, with strange form of mutants, aliens and blood, but by the way this is modern science fiction! Great game Expand
  99. MarioP.
    Nov 27, 2004
    It is a great game :fun,addictive,very fluid graphics.My concern is that the game is only 1.19 gig long and valve should have gave us a couple of levels more...for the wait.Also i wish it would have a bit more textures and thoses zombies ...com on !!!!they are not very well designed...overrated i think....
  100. MankeeOfDoom
    Dec 27, 2004
    An absolutely exhilarating experience. Easily the best game of the year. It even beats out the original. The most immersive piece of interactive entertainment I've had the pleasure of playing. 'Tis the win.

3. Playboy