9.2

1. May 24, 2015
    After completing the first Half-Life I was expecting great things from the second chapter, and in fact I was not disappointed. If Half-Life was a revolution, Half-Life 2 was more a further refinement of that revolution.

The consequence of this is that Half-Life 2 is significantly better than the first chapter, which was already a masterpiece. The most amazing thing of Half-Life 2 is, of course, the gameplay: for an fps is just perfect. Already the first chapter was very advanced for its time, but Half-Life 2 went even further. One example is the way the game has used physics (thanks to the Source Engine) to offer one of the best weapons in the history of video games: the Gravity Gun. The Gravity Gun is the apotheosis of all that an fps has to offer. It is a crude but powerful weapon, fun to use and above all original. It is an example of how everything around you, in a game, is alive if you only try to touch it. This, by the way, is also possible without Gravity Gun, but without it is less fun. Another way of how Half-Life 2 has pushed beyond the standards is the introduction of puzzle elements, simple but fun, in a context with which apparently had nothing to do. Place some batteries to provide power to a gate and open it, may seems like silly but not in an fps game. Even using the Gravity Gun to take a rotating blade, or an heavy box, and launching it against an enemy is the art of using the enviroment as a weapon, and it is fantastic.

Other weapons that have gave an higher gear to Half-Life 2 were some like the Pheropods to control Antlions, or the Overwatch Standard Issue Pulse Rifle. It is so cool aesthetically. And the way it shoots, the way it recharge as well. The secondary attack was brilliant and was based on a fantastic physics and bounce mechanism. It was a weapon really fun to use. Last but not least important step forward made by Half-Life 2 (and soon followed by fps games came later) was the introduction of large open spaces where the player could really feel free to move, to experiment, to explore. The difficulty level was generally good and the enemy AI was great and when they were in large groups could get you in trouble. Just perfect as I said.

Personally I found the story of Half-Life 2 fantastic and also higher than the story of the first chapter. The setting in Eastern Europe was really beautiful. The game begins exactly from where the first chapter ends, but compared to the first chapter, Half-Life 2 has brought up more raw and human issues such as slavery, despair, infertility, redemption and hope. I appreciated very much the vision that the game give of Gordon Freeman: his fate, his stasis and his connection with the G-Man, his return as a prophecy, his eyes green as hope, the man who goes back and saves the day, a man of few words as Alyx Vance said, The One Free Man (nice language-game with his own name). All this just to describe one of the greatest and most charismatic characters in video game history. A special praise goes to other characters in the game such as the G-Man, Eli and Alyx Vance, Dog, Dr. Breen and especially to the Combine that are among the greatest villains ever seen in a game.

The graphics of the game was impressive at the time, and it was even 10 years later when I played it. The Source Engine realized everything perfectly, from the characters to the environments, from weapons to the shadows. But what amazed me the most was the detail in the faces, facial expressions, dubbing and lip sync that were just perfect.

Half-Life 2 is a majestic game. Valve gave one of the examples of what can be done when the videoludic art pushes the limits in all its forms. A timeless classic.
  2. May 11, 2015
    You always hear about Half-Life 2 and the claim that it is one of the best video games to date. I decided it was time to adventure through this game and see what the fuss was all about. This game is incredible in just about every aspect. Story was great and the gravity gun caused for some hell of a good time. Enjoyable tossing a saw blade through the air to slice people in half. Sadly IYou always hear about Half-Life 2 and the claim that it is one of the best video games to date. I decided it was time to adventure through this game and see what the fuss was all about. This game is incredible in just about every aspect. Story was great and the gravity gun caused for some hell of a good time. Enjoyable tossing a saw blade through the air to slice people in half. Sadly I didn't play the original Half-Life so I was a bit confused with the story at first, a recap or something would of been nice to give the player a chance to soak in everything that happened previously. After reading a article on Half Life it made a lot more sense. For a first person shooter this game had a crap ton of jump scares and points to make me gasp. Turning around to have a headcrab naw into your face or a fast moving zombie jump at you. The amount of shotgun shells wasted in fear
    Good Points: Gravity Gun.How well you could interact with the environment.
    Bad Points: Where was that romance with Alyx >.>
  3. Apr 29, 2015
    Probably one of the greatest games ever made, for any platform when it was released - It still holds up in 2015. Absolute must buy for PC gamers. The graphics have aged a little, but the games strengths lay in the unparalleled level design and fantastic atmosphere.
  4. Apr 25, 2015
    Incredibly good. Can't wait for half-life 2 episode 2 or half-life 3! Everyone should get this game and play it at least once. The negative reviews are stupid.
  5. Apr 18, 2015
    The Quintessential PC game every person must experience. Not only is this one of the best game of all time story wise, but at the time of release this game was also ahead of it's time with it's groundbreaking physics engine and graphical beauty.
  6. Apr 12, 2015
    The definition of the modern FPS. The accurate physics, the smooth graphics, the intriguing story-line and this game its greatest aspect, the level design. My god... the level design! this game definitely is the pinnacle of level design. The only ones who come close to its level (pun intended) are games that almost solely focus on this aspect, such as puzzle games (looking at you, Portal).The definition of the modern FPS. The accurate physics, the smooth graphics, the intriguing story-line and this game its greatest aspect, the level design. My god... the level design! this game definitely is the pinnacle of level design. The only ones who come close to its level (pun intended) are games that almost solely focus on this aspect, such as puzzle games (looking at you, Portal). Speaking of puzzles, HL 2's few physics based puzzles are simple and effective at giving a brief relaxation after the intense skirmishes. Looking at the actual shooter aspect, HL 2 more than passes the grade. Aiming is done without much difficulty and you are presented with a new gun type after a while which keeps things a little more interesting. The only flaw I could find was that controlling the vehicles went somewhat awkward, but you can't blame a game as old as this for that. This game is a solid 10, it definitely is one of the best game I ever played. Expand
  7. Apr 4, 2015
    Yo GUILHEREME ESTAS A LER ISTO THIS GAME IS ALRUGTH I like it so you now let's not say stuff about games you know just saying I'm gonna delete this cause I don't want to be banned.
  8. Mar 29, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is how fast paced FPS games should be done!

Pros:
    Fantastic Graphics (for the time)
    Excellent Enemy AI
    Facial and body animations
    Thrilling, fast paced gameplay and levels
    Solid shooting

Cons:
    Ravenholm level (Which scared the **** out of me when I first played the game)
    Silent protagonist Gordon Freeman feels unfitting

Besides only one of the chapters and a flaw in character development, this FPS is as pure as pure can get!
  9. Mar 10, 2015
    Classic! CLASSIC! everything about this is classic! CLASSIC! CLASSIC! Without this game, there will not be Borderlands, Warframe and urgh,.. I dunno This game is sooo perfect. If you look at other games, there will be alot of Half Life 2 inspiration.
  10. Mar 9, 2015
    **** Metacritic and its cancerous community. This game is a classic. Obviously today it's nothing special in terms of innovation, but no FPS other than System Shock 2 and Riddick Escape from Butcher bay has as good linear level design as Half Life. **** you if you think this game is overrated. You're the only one judging 2004 standards by 2015 standards. By your logic, any game in that**** Metacritic and its cancerous community. This game is a classic. Obviously today it's nothing special in terms of innovation, but no FPS other than System Shock 2 and Riddick Escape from Butcher bay has as good linear level design as Half Life. **** you if you think this game is overrated. You're the only one judging 2004 standards by 2015 standards. By your logic, any game in that year is overrated because its gameplay is somewhat outdated. I wish reviews had replies, because I would rip apart anyone who calls this game **** or overrated. What do you people want from this game? A big open world? Not every FPS is going to be like Battlefield, or Far Cry. This game is linear FPS done right. In fact it's linear game design done right. Don't go into it expecting it to be the best thing you'll ever play. It still remains ONE of the greatest games ever made, along with the first. There's no arguing with that fact. Call the game overrated all you want, but your ****ty opinion doesn't determine the overall quality of the game. Expand
  11. Feb 26, 2015
    After all these years, HL2 feels and still plays as an excellent game. I replay this game once or twice a year ever since its release. Great storytelling, voice acting and physics.
  12. Feb 25, 2015
    This is simply the best game ever made. 10 years after release, and no other game has surpassed it yet. The atmosphere, characters and Source engine were all, putting it mildly, revolutionary at the time. They all still hold up well today. Not to mention it CHANGED THE GAMING INDUSTRY, even more so than Half-Life 1 did. Think about it. Without HL2, Steam would probably be dead, in whichThis is simply the best game ever made. 10 years after release, and no other game has surpassed it yet. The atmosphere, characters and Source engine were all, putting it mildly, revolutionary at the time. They all still hold up well today. Not to mention it CHANGED THE GAMING INDUSTRY, even more so than Half-Life 1 did. Think about it. Without HL2, Steam would probably be dead, in which case thousands of indie games would've never been made, let alone gain as much popularity, forcing all those indie developers to stop making games. Without HL2, Valve probably wouldn't have made their other masterpieces (Portal, TF2, L4D, etc.) Without HL2, and its amazing mod support, we wouldn't have gotten the best modding community ever in gaming.
    There are too many good things to say about Half-Life 2, so I'll make a long review short:
    Buy it. Buy it now. Just make sure you play Half-Life 1 beforehand obviously.
  13. Feb 15, 2015
    Превосходная игра. В те года невозможно было представить нечто подобное, но Valve удалось
  14. Feb 14, 2015
    BEST GAME EVER MADE FOR ANY CONSOLE. It's as simple as that.
    The whole half-life series is great, but this one, this one is beyond just awesome, it's perfect. it's the best game ever developed.
  15. Feb 10, 2015
    My favorite game of all time. Fantastic level design, interesting story, great writing and, of course, great gunplay. You can't call yourself a gamer if you haven't played the Half-Life series.

It's a must-have.
  16. Jan 15, 2015
    Amazing. The game fells like virtual reality but it's on a compuer. It's one of the most realistically scripted games I have ever played, and for all you who don't like it, Send your opinions elsewhere.
  17. Jan 14, 2015
    Oh where to begin? This game has had so much praise put upon it and it truly deserves it all. What makes this game though isn't its story or its game play, no what truly makes this an awesome experience is how organic and absorbing it is. The whole game is dripping with atmosphere. The pacing and difficulty curve is well crafted and the game manages to make traveling tense and exciting.Oh where to begin? This game has had so much praise put upon it and it truly deserves it all. What makes this game though isn't its story or its game play, no what truly makes this an awesome experience is how organic and absorbing it is. The whole game is dripping with atmosphere. The pacing and difficulty curve is well crafted and the game manages to make traveling tense and exciting. I'd say that unless you're one of those people who hates a game that isn't constant action then play this game just for the experience alone.

I only really have one problem that is that the allies you get aren't very clever and don't seem to have a sense of self preservation. All of the NPCs seem to rely very heavily on Gordan Freeman to the point where you have to wonder how the resistance survived before he showed up.

But this is just one thing that you won't really notice while playing because this isn't a game it's an experience that everyone should have!
  18. Jan 7, 2015
    If you don't have this game buy it. It is one of the best games ever and amazing visuals even today especially in 2004 fantastic and if you have completed it you can get mods fantastic.
  19. Jan 6, 2015
    This game is dope as hell. I'd never played a half life game before, so I didn't know what to expect. Even though the game is pretty linear, I got so enveloped in the gameplay that I didn't even care. So amazing. Easily one of the 3 best games I've ever played.
  20. Dec 31, 2014
    Half Life 2 is a FPS type game being developed by Valve in 2004 after a development period of 5 years. Half Life 2 has sparked positive reactions, winning over 35 awards for Game of the Year in 2004. The action takes place 20 years after the Black Mesa incident (Half Life 1). The game begins with G-Man speaking to Gordon as in a dream, then finds his way to "City 17". The story staysHalf Life 2 is a FPS type game being developed by Valve in 2004 after a development period of 5 years. Half Life 2 has sparked positive reactions, winning over 35 awards for Game of the Year in 2004. The action takes place 20 years after the Black Mesa incident (Half Life 1). The game begins with G-Man speaking to Gordon as in a dream, then finds his way to "City 17". The story stays pretty well at the game. I could give more account details but so would give some spoilers, so better not. From a visual perspective stay perfect to game. Until 2004 we have not seen any games that have a facial mimics so well developed. Honestly I think is one better than some games in 2005-2006 +. In terms of graphics and are well established. The sound effects and music in the game is something I will not forget anytime soon. In my opinion the game is falling Must Play, maybe even a masterpiece. I honestly really did not expect to be so good one. Expand
  21. Dec 27, 2014
    people seem to be writing reviews from a current perspective. At the time of release this game was the puppies privates of the FPS world. Beautiful gfx, Havok physics engine implemented, awesome story, great sounds and effects. nothing compared at the time of release. same can be said for doom, Dukenukem, Q1, Q2,HL1, Unreal, Unreal tournament etc.......... AT THE TIME they wherepeople seem to be writing reviews from a current perspective. At the time of release this game was the puppies privates of the FPS world. Beautiful gfx, Havok physics engine implemented, awesome story, great sounds and effects. nothing compared at the time of release. same can be said for doom, Dukenukem, Q1, Q2,HL1, Unreal, Unreal tournament etc.......... AT THE TIME they where outstanding and mostly groundbreaking. Expand
  22. Dec 20, 2014
    The best game ever for me. Half Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copiedThe best game ever for me. Half Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other science fiction, it's not as original as many claim. Half Life 2 has awesome graphics, innovative physics, game play, fabulously designed levels and game moments but my point is that it shows how lacking and unoriginal the rest of the industry is - that many would claim Half Life 2 to be better than it actually is. If Half Life 2 is the best there is in single player gaming - then video games truely are lacking... HL2 is still a real achievement and Valve has something to be proud of. Expand
  23. Dec 7, 2014
    Interesting game, great concept and story, something every game needs and is preliminary in creating a good game overall. It's possible to get repetitive, but it's creative problem solving outmatches it a lot.

Also consider its year of production.
  24. Dec 1, 2014
    So this is one of those titles I remember waiting, not much to play, not because I knew and was fan of the series; but because something big was bound to happen. The gaming show back in 2004 was all about how cool and innovative Half-Life 2 was going to be. And then it was.
    This is one of the finest gaming moments since the creation of video-games. Now that VALVE is all-powerful with steam and this is 11 years old you can pretty much almost for free there with expansions.
    Hell, 11 years after, launched pre-last gen, and still newer games can't stand against it. That says a thing or two.
  25. Nov 29, 2014
    Actually, I liked the first game better. Half Life 1 is my favorite game of all times. But since I'd give that game a 11, I'll give HL2 a 10.

So, ok, I'll look at it as it was back in 2004 and I'll say how it stands today. The atmosphere is incredible. The soundtrack is really memorable, the graphics were awesome in 2004 (maybe not as beautiful as FarCry, but still...) and the whole

The atmosphere is incredible. The soundtrack is really memorable, the graphics were awesome in 2004 (maybe not as beautiful as FarCry, but still...) and the whole universe presented to us is well created. It just... feels real, and the team seemed to draw much inspiration from books like 1984. And I love 1984. The whole concept of a dystopian world amuses me. Of course, the graphics have not aged that well, but the world the game presents is still very memorable, and still is very atmospheric. Few games do that nowadays. I can think only of Batman: Arkham series, Bioshock and maybe The Last of Us, but I have not played the last.

The gameplay, for me, at last, is not as good as Half Life 1. The weapons lack some punch, but the enemies are fun to deal with (although it's a shame that they scraped some enemies from HL1). And the gravity gun, oh man... The gravity gun is so awesome that I never seen such a cool weapon in any other game. It's a game-changing weapon, and it was there also to showcase the realistic physics engine.

And the Half Life series always had such a great pacing. Calm moments. Exploration moments. And really fast-paced moments. And the game plays really well on all of them. And that's thanks to the amazing level design, which is as good as the first game, if not a little better.

The story is pretty simple, and much people complain about Gordon being idolatred by everyone... but, c'mon, he saved the **** planet Earth, and he is just a theoretical scientist, who barely know how to use a gun. And the journey of the hero is a bit clichéd, but you actually FEEL like you are saving the world. I mean... let's look at Master Chief, for example. I kinda like Halo. And Master Chief saves the **** galaxy, but I don't feel like I'm really doing it. It's like "oh, I'm saving the galaxy, ok". And Half Life there's a feeling of desperation, and it is all very subtle at the same time. It's really damn nice. And the story tells you so much with so little... there are still few games that do this today. And, this time, I can only think of Bioshock. Few clues in the environment that tell a much bigger story. That's something more games should seek to do.

So, yeah... to me, it's not as good as the first one, but it is an amazing experience if you enjoy first person shooters. And even if you don't like the genre, you should give it at least a try. Half Life 2 is one of the best games of the 2000's, and has a perfect balance between old mechanics (huge weapons limit, frenetic gameplay, absence of iron sights, level exploration, puzzles) and new mechanics (story-driven game, changes in pacing, search for a somewhat realistic universe). So... try it once you can! You won't regret it. The worst that can happen is to you find it boring, but it's not gonna piss you off.
  26. Nov 11, 2014
    Probably the best game ever made, and I'm not even talking about the standalone game I'm talking about all the mods the community have made, No wonder valve isn't releasing hl3 yet we need that great feeling again.
  27. Oct 29, 2014
    Greatest game in history, now in 2014 it still has decent graphics

Amazing storyline and diverse and nice combat and physics mechanics

it is the #1 game in history
  28. Oct 27, 2014
    I know I am treading well-worn ground, here, but Half Life 2 is one of the few games I’ve played that has lived up to the hype surrounding it. I felt like I had to tip my hat, because it is perfect in every appreciable way.

Even though HL2 is a decade old, I only recently got around to playing it thanks to a Steam sale. Absolutely fantastic. I love everything about this game. Still looks gorgeous, not at all dated like the first Half Life game. Voice acting is spot-on. Mechanics are good. Nice selection of weapons without having TOO many. Gravity gun is a blast. Music is used very well: long stretches of silence with appropriately creepy or intense electronic tunes depending on what’s happening.

What pushes this over the top for me, though, is the story. It was barely there in Half Life 1. You still have no idea what’s happening in HL2 but you discover bits & pieces as you play. At one of the resistance HQs, for example, there is a bulletin board full of newspaper clippings about the alien invasion which took place while Gordon was…elsewhere. It’s a nice payoff which helps everything else happening in the game make sense. Aside from that, you may only hear certain plot points once or twice from NPC banter. Even if the banter doesn’t contain any story information, though, it’s all scripted well and fun to listen to.

HL2 also appeals to gamers who only play shooters for the pew pew and don’t care about story. The maps may be linear (which I don’t mind in a shooter) but you have a lot of freedom and fun ways to go about solving them. There is also a nice mix of gameplay elements which keep things fresh, from turret defense moments (literally) to vehicle driving. You’re not always marching through hallways so it’s very difficult to get bored.

The only complaint I have is that there’s no Half Life 3! Of course, I’d rather have an excellent series which rarely releases games than a series that releases a title every year and beats everything we liked about it into the ground until we can’t stand it any longer (*cough*Assassin’s Creed*ahem*). Half Life 2 is one of those amazing gems that is still as good today as it was on the day it was released. Definitely a game which everyone who considers themselves a gamer should play.
  29. Oct 18, 2014
    It is a valve game what do you expect? tight graphics for its age (I thought it was made in 2012 they were so good) it also has a great physics engine which is still better than any physics engine made to this day. awesome story, awesome characters, awesome voice acting and awesome secrets. I just urge them to make half life3
  30. Oct 17, 2014
    I now understand why people want half life 3. If you haven't played this game you really need to because it goes on sale so much on steam and it usually comes with a bundle for episode 1, 2, and lost coast.
  31. Oct 14, 2014
    im just want to play this game again, again, and again. cause this game is **** amazing in gameplay, graphics and in weapons!!! most i like in here is a Gravity gun!!! the best guns ever!!!!
  32. Oct 10, 2014
    I made an account just to review this game. Half-Life 2 is the only game in the world that I can regard as perfect. It is literally impeccable. I have played a lot of games, and it is very hard to put so many good titles behind me, but until you play this game you won't feel the atmosphere and world that it draws you into. You need to experience the game and fully complete it to realiseI made an account just to review this game. Half-Life 2 is the only game in the world that I can regard as perfect. It is literally impeccable. I have played a lot of games, and it is very hard to put so many good titles behind me, but until you play this game you won't feel the atmosphere and world that it draws you into. You need to experience the game and fully complete it to realise what a wonderful journey the Half-Life series really is. The graphics are phenomenal for a game that is now ten years old; still keeping up with modern titles to this day. The storytelling is perfect, in the literal sense of the word. The gameplay is flawless, the diversity of characters, both hostile and allied is superb. The puzzles, the chill-factor, and the thing that gets me the most, the absolute and complete absorption that you'll have playing this game is something like no other. You become Gordon Freeman, you live in the world of Half-Life which has been so magnificently created you believe every minute of its being and existence. It's this reality that consumes you, and it's marvelous, incredible story. I regard this game as perfect. Expand
  33. Oct 9, 2014
    Let me just open the review by saying this is my favorite game of all time. I only finished the game last year, but it still blew me away (even though it was 9 years old!). The story is excellent, and blew me away. The game play mechanics are excellent, and the only critical thing I thing I can say about the game is that it got a bit slow on a few chapters (I'm looking at you RouteLet me just open the review by saying this is my favorite game of all time. I only finished the game last year, but it still blew me away (even though it was 9 years old!). The story is excellent, and blew me away. The game play mechanics are excellent, and the only critical thing I thing I can say about the game is that it got a bit slow on a few chapters (I'm looking at you Route Canal). All in All, its the most perfect a game can really get. Play it if you haven't already! Expand
  34. Oct 4, 2014
    Half-Life 2 is a definite 9 out of 10 for me, just because of the amazing story, physics, characters, game play, etc... But there was just one tiny flaw. it was just so grim, scary, creepy and depressing, that it created the sort of game that once you were done playing it, you'd never want to go back and play it again...
    You know, this is why HALO IS BETTER TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    (JK, don't
    You know, this is why HALO IS BETTER TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    (JK, don't freak out. Although, halo 2 is my favorite game of all time...)
  35. Oct 3, 2014
    I didn't play this game until 2012 and it's my favourite shooter to date, probably the only shooter/FPS that I've played over and over again after I've finished. Perfect pacing, graphics that still hold up pretty well, great story that unfolds before your eyes and excellent gunplay. Love it.
  36. Sep 29, 2014
    Where to start half life is just an amazing ride, the game mechanics are near seamless along with a plot-line that not only keeps you guessing, but has love, anger, envy, revenge, dependence and ultimately you know your saving the planet. Loved it. Completed it. Played it again and again.

Graliv
  37. Sep 27, 2014
    The ultra responsive Source engine coupled with a great story and excellent graphics for its time. It's nothing short of a revolution. No wonder why it has universal acclaim.
  38. Sep 13, 2014
    Half Life is the birth of real FPS.
    If you were around when it came out, no matter how many years have passed, Half Life will always be top of your list in gaming masterpieces.
  39. Sep 12, 2014
    Half Life 2 is a stunning masterpiece. I played this game a long time ago on the orange box for the PS3. TBH it didn't stick back then. Years later I played the game on PC, after playing the first game, and I was shocked at how good it was.

First the game's physics is superb. It's a lot of fun to drop enemies and watch their death throes as you take them down. It's such a simple thing yet Valve does such an excellent job at it thanks to the physics of the game which few games out there will ever be able to come close to. That also brings me to the gravity gun. A weapon that will become your best friend upon receiving it. It can snatch and throw objects and can be used on the fly with a simple push of a button when using any other weapon making it a handy gun for breaking and moving obstacles or busting open the many supply crates in the game.

Now for the games story. The story is pretty straight forward. In the beginning of the game you show up at City 17, ruled over by Dr. Breen the former administrator to Black Mesa in the previous game. Dr. Breen is essentially a puppet for a transhuman race know as the Combine to ensure domination of the human race by the Combine who rule the human race with totalitarian brutality. The story's narrative is non-cinematic in nature yet it manages to tell the story with crisp clarity. Constant control over Freeman in each of the non-action story sequences deliver a great sense of immersion few games have.

In terms of gameplay the game does an excellent job at balancing great face-paced action and slower non-action sequences to give gamer a quick breather before pushing onwards in their epic journey. The gameplay sequences are also rather superb and varied. One moment you're on a dune buggy dodging antions, another you're trying to outrun and destroy a relentless chopper, in another sequence you're fighting zombies in a dark overrun town. The variety keeps the game unpredictable and fun, and with great gameplay freedom, along with a great arsenal of weapons, you bring down the house however you see fit.

The game moves at a great pace and its one of the few games that I'd play again just for the sheer experience of it. The superb narrative, graphics, gameplay freedom and physics make the game a true masterpiece that will stand proud among the best games the gaming industry has to offer. Few come close to the masterpiece that is Half Life 2. Long live Dr. Freeman!
  40. Sep 12, 2014
    It's old, but not dead, I can replay it several times across a long time and it still entertains me more than other more modern games. Good job Valve, waiting for Half-Life 3.
  41. Sep 11, 2014
    This game by far is one of the best of all time. Its just that simple. The story line is one of the best by far, and the graphics engine (Source) still looks great TEN YEARS after the game has been released. The weapons are creative like the gravity gun, a tool that picks up and fires any object that can move, and launch it like a projectile, making a chair the most deadly object known toThis game by far is one of the best of all time. Its just that simple. The story line is one of the best by far, and the graphics engine (Source) still looks great TEN YEARS after the game has been released. The weapons are creative like the gravity gun, a tool that picks up and fires any object that can move, and launch it like a projectile, making a chair the most deadly object known to man. Buy this game, buy the entire series. They are all masterpieces. Expand
  42. Sep 4, 2014
    This game takes me back to a time where graphics were just the surface of the game and the story was what mattered. The graphics quality may be outdated but it makes up for it from the indepth character design and voic acting.
  43. Sep 2, 2014
    A truly great FPS, the story, environment and level design, the music atmosphere and set pieces; they all work so well and it pays off greatly for what is one of the best games ever made.
  44. Sep 2, 2014
    Isn't it sad that this 10 year old game looks a lot better than most games that have came out in the past few months?
    Also-HL3 CONFIRMED
    Also-GORDON FREEMAN
  45. Sep 1, 2014
    This is the best game ever made. It combines a complex and deep story with a great gameplay and good mechanics, plus the incredible graphics for the time it was released. The soundtracks are awesome, and the characters are impresive.
  46. Aug 29, 2014
    This game is unbelievably awesome. This is a must play for anybody who enjoys first person shooters. The graphics is a tad aged but still very satisfying with everything maxed at 1920x1080 144 FPS. It's fast paced, it has an awesome story taking place in a futuristic universe. Best of all, you can play it on Linux!
  47. Aug 23, 2014
    Does this game need a review? Seriously; you don't even need to READ a review to play this wonderful game made back in that period where you still loved Half life. From early betas, to the current state, I still love this master piece that will be standing forever into the ashes of old and good games. This outstanding shooter will never bored from playing it over multiple times. After all,Does this game need a review? Seriously; you don't even need to READ a review to play this wonderful game made back in that period where you still loved Half life. From early betas, to the current state, I still love this master piece that will be standing forever into the ashes of old and good games. This outstanding shooter will never bored from playing it over multiple times. After all, where should I start?
    Characters are very well made, not that good graphics for that period but who needed them on that type of small monitors? The voice acting is one of the best and gives you the feeling that they're really there talking live to you! They have also a great plot into their own minds, body and flesh. Makes you wanna stick around and love them. Gordon Freeman, the main character, doesn't speak at all but that gives you the idea to think like him, for yourself, not him for you. The soundtrack should have the Pulitzer Prize for great performance and I still like the songs today. The story is one of the best one I ever met into a video game (FPS). The Half Life Trilogy is sent from 2000s all the way to 2030s. The Seven Hour War in 2012/2013, also having a great appetite for me in the idea of Half Life. Too bad they didn't release a game where you take part of it LIVE and seeing the world going to hell. Graphics aren't the best ones but for that time, they were rocking hard. The physics are GREAT and makes the game need-to-play. Facial animations are great even in beta where I noticed they looked like the same in the current game, but with no voice acting. The weapons are told to be human and Combine, some even Combineized. Adding extra attachments for their use of power.
    This game may have some little bugs over there and over here but it won't stop you from playing it as long you're not activating console cheats and exploiting the trigger on the maps! You may play the game again as you did read this review. Doesn't matter; it's all up to you, my friends.
  48. Aug 14, 2014
    Half-Life 2 is one of the best games ever and maybe the best FPS of all time. The Great and interesting story, the great gameplay and the great level design made this game one of my favorites.
  49. Aug 8, 2014
    Yeah. This is a legend game. This game has amazing graphic for old game and very good story for role playing game. This game also has gravity gun, this gun is very helpful.
  50. Aug 5, 2014
    This is one of the best games every made. The best looking game in 2004. Really deep story. Excellent physics. Many good games such as Portal, L4D, CS, TF and G-Mod is based on this game. i r8 it 8/8 :^)
  51. Aug 1, 2014
    this game, oh this game. half life 2 changed the whole fps(and gaming) industry. why? ill tell you- it introduced source, the best engine at its time and one of the best today. physix were amazing, and most games use the same physix system. level design was amazing, the only other lv design that was as good as this was half life 1 and bioshock 1. storytelling at its finest. it doesnt tellthis game, oh this game. half life 2 changed the whole fps(and gaming) industry. why? ill tell you- it introduced source, the best engine at its time and one of the best today. physix were amazing, and most games use the same physix system. level design was amazing, the only other lv design that was as good as this was half life 1 and bioshock 1. storytelling at its finest. it doesnt tell u everything, you have to piece it up together, and the story is quite awesome. the guns are great, and it just doesnt let u get bored. 10/10 Expand
  52. Jul 25, 2014
    A brilliant game and an epic sequel to one of the best shooters of all time ,BUT I STILL CAN NOT BEAT THE GAME,each and every level is unique and cool.Some Players think it is one of the Most overrated game ever made,But to them i say this ,Call of duty is when of the most overrated game ever made.
  53. Jul 22, 2014
    The best shooter and the best game ever made. Valve is one of the best video game companys and all of there games are top notch. This and team fortress 2 are there best games.
  54. Jul 15, 2014
    Awesome game with some humor, action, and awesome gameplay. Valve has done a fantastic job with Half-Life 2. It is a game that you will be talking about for years to come. Buy this game and make yourself super freakin' happy.
  55. Jul 1, 2014
    Half-Life 2 is an exhilarating game! The graphics(even though I could care less about graphics)still hold up. The water looks amazing in this game and so does everything else. This game also has one very scary chapter called "We don't go to Ravenholm." The areas are much bigger in this game compared to Half-Life. This time there are more puzzles, physics, vehicles, and a new weapon. ThereHalf-Life 2 is an exhilarating game! The graphics(even though I could care less about graphics)still hold up. The water looks amazing in this game and so does everything else. This game also has one very scary chapter called "We don't go to Ravenholm." The areas are much bigger in this game compared to Half-Life. This time there are more puzzles, physics, vehicles, and a new weapon. There is sadly no gluon gun but there is a new weapon called the gravity gun. Don't worry though the tau cannon is back. Like the original, it feels like one big map instead of individual levels thanks to no cutscenes. Half-Life 2 is incredible. Expand
  56. Vas
    Jun 29, 2014
    This is pretty epic, really well done. A nice long story with plenty to do and isn't so easy that you can simply run through it. Really, there almost isn't any room for improvement in this. This game is just amazing, just get it, you won't regret it! I can't even figure out how there is a single bad review about it here. :P You simply can't hate it! That is like, successfully dividing by zero.
  57. Jun 22, 2014
    While I can't fathom to place this game higher than its predecessor, it still is an excellent game. The plot is strenghtened, the gameplay expanded and the new source engine? A marvel.
    We simply took what was good in the first game and increased its potential. I have stated Half-Life as the ancestor of FPSs; this is his rightful son.
    We now wish to have a sequel, but to maintain such a
    We now wish to have a sequel, but to maintain such a level of quality, the VALVe team sure must be stressed out.

I'm still impatient to know what VALVe has up its sleeve for us.
  58. Jun 21, 2014
    By far, the most amazing game I've ever played. The mix of intense FPS action and lateral thinking makes for one of the most fantastic video games to ever hit the shelves. Some of the most iconic video game locations in video game history spawned within Half Life 2. Such as the horrifying Ravenholm mission and the tranquil setting of Highway 17. The narrative sets the game out slowly andBy far, the most amazing game I've ever played. The mix of intense FPS action and lateral thinking makes for one of the most fantastic video games to ever hit the shelves. Some of the most iconic video game locations in video game history spawned within Half Life 2. Such as the horrifying Ravenholm mission and the tranquil setting of Highway 17. The narrative sets the game out slowly and drip feeds you information about the elusive... G-man. A must buy for all FPS fans. 10/10. Expand
  59. Jun 19, 2014
    This game take you to a place you've never been before. One of the best game I've ever played, and i have played allot! Off course it's not 100% perfect, but not far from it. Just played through it today(2014). Still amazing! This game give you allot of different types of gameplay, and never gets boring, at least not for me. The story is also really good. Going back to other first-personThis game take you to a place you've never been before. One of the best game I've ever played, and i have played allot! Off course it's not 100% perfect, but not far from it. Just played through it today(2014). Still amazing! This game give you allot of different types of gameplay, and never gets boring, at least not for me. The story is also really good. Going back to other first-person shooter games after this is a bummer.
    Just play it, you'll know what i mean ;)
  60. Jun 8, 2014
    This is my most favorite game ever, I just love it. It has an amazing gameplay, amazing story, I feel like I'm with them. I just love the feel of the desura-like civil control. Also, I recommend everyone to check out the Half-Life 2 beta content! Half-Life 2 beta (alpha) was incredible. The dark-evil like story, I just loved it. The industrial locations, this game has a deep background with it.
  61. Jun 8, 2014
    Half-Life 2 is a masterpiece of gaming history. Surprising story, amazing FPS and puzzle gameplay, awesome graphic with unbelievable physic system, and great sounds. Although Gordon Freeman is still a quiet guy, but Half-Life 2 is an unforgettable title you have to say loud when someone wants to know about the best game of 2004, or maybe, of all time.
  62. Jun 6, 2014
    half-life 2 = one of the best games if not the best one i have played, with its outstanding graphics (released in 2004 so do not expect bf4 type stuff) and story this game already gets a good review but it goes even further and better, the atmosphere of the world really gets a glimpse about the alien invasion and the cities last stand, people are depresed and sad about their loss and nowhalf-life 2 = one of the best games if not the best one i have played, with its outstanding graphics (released in 2004 so do not expect bf4 type stuff) and story this game already gets a good review but it goes even further and better, the atmosphere of the world really gets a glimpse about the alien invasion and the cities last stand, people are depresed and sad about their loss and now live in a horrible place, the combat feels free (at the time) you can grab everything you like and can and throw it at enemies and even react to it and get distracted (if you throw it at the right one) and the thing that i like more above all is the characters there is only one word i can describe them........alive, well maybe two.......alive and kicking
    this game gets my 2nd place in my favorite games of all time easily
    10/10-my crowbar approves :)
  63. Jun 5, 2014
    A really good video game. I am not really a fan of shooters, but I have to say this game really impressed me, I haven't finished it yet, but I was looking for the reviews and I decided to come, create an account and review it at this very moment. I have it with The Orange Box for Xbox 360. Good graphics, good Soundtrack, it actually fits with the environments of the game, a good AI, goodA really good video game. I am not really a fan of shooters, but I have to say this game really impressed me, I haven't finished it yet, but I was looking for the reviews and I decided to come, create an account and review it at this very moment. I have it with The Orange Box for Xbox 360. Good graphics, good Soundtrack, it actually fits with the environments of the game, a good AI, good story, characters and for that moment, really good and revolutionary physics. In my opinion a game that really deserves your time, and your money so... RECOMMENDED. Expand
  64. May 19, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece. Since his lauching I'm waiting for a FPS game that can provides the same experience. It's an obligatory one. You HAVE to play it. And you will get very sad after finish it, because you'll have no other good game like this to fulfill the "void" hahaha
  65. May 10, 2014
    One word for this game: AMAZING! I never was a fan of the Half-Life series, but once i bought it along with it's episodes, i could NEVER stop playing this game until i finished them all! Half-Life 2 is a great FPS with puzzle physics, it has an amazing story and great character development within it. Now, HL2: Episode 1 Was a bit slow and less action packed then the first, but it does aOne word for this game: AMAZING! I never was a fan of the Half-Life series, but once i bought it along with it's episodes, i could NEVER stop playing this game until i finished them all! Half-Life 2 is a great FPS with puzzle physics, it has an amazing story and great character development within it. Now, HL2: Episode 1 Was a bit slow and less action packed then the first, but it does a great job at continuing the story and it's characters backgrounds. HL2: Episode 2 was "In my opinion" even better then both Episode 1 and HL2, it has AMAZING story telling, and character development, The ending is FANTASTIC to start up HL3 which i now understand is so needed by many gamers. This game and it's Episodes will knock your sock your socks off! Expand
  66. Apr 26, 2014
    The original revolutionized gaming forever, and this sequel did the same. 10 years later I am still in love with this game. The story is incredible, the gameplay is flawless, and the source engine of course speaks for itself. This is a game that deserves every point of its perfect score.
  67. Apr 22, 2014
    Damn. That's about all I can say on this game. It's so good it left me at awe like the first one did. This is an essential to all gamers alike. The engine on this makes it a beauty visually for it's time, and the ability to intereact with items in your surroundings and such makes this all the more pleasurable as you are able to use a few guns that typically look cheesy but on Half LifeDamn. That's about all I can say on this game. It's so good it left me at awe like the first one did. This is an essential to all gamers alike. The engine on this makes it a beauty visually for it's time, and the ability to intereact with items in your surroundings and such makes this all the more pleasurable as you are able to use a few guns that typically look cheesy but on Half Life these guns are just as cool as Brando. You take on the role of hero Gordon Freeman a physicist I think that is by chance a bad ass with weaponry etc. Anyways you can figure out the story yourselves. On PC this is a must have for everyone who likes to game. On steam it's almost a crime if you don't at least try to play the game demo etc. This game is probably one of my personal favorites along with the sequel/expansions that are just as good but visually better. The game is a non stop thrill and I recommend this to anyone as you encounter a lot of puzzles with your surroundings (not puzzles like Tetris mind you) and and action fps what is not to like about this game? Expand
  68. Apr 16, 2014
    The game I compare all others to. I love it! The first ever time I felt like I was playing a movie. It feels dated to look at now, but the game play and sound design are still far better than most new games. If you've not played it yet, BUY IT NOW! But get the PC version - the Xbox one was a poor port.
  69. Apr 12, 2014
    What's to say that hasn't been said already? It's a Half-Life game. It's one of the best FPS's with great game effects ever published. If you haven't played this game...well, you're missing out. Even as dated as it is the game is still unbelievably fun to play.
  70. Mar 31, 2014
    for a 2004 game, no wonder this game got high scores. very good graphics and gameplay. storyline, very good but half-life 1 is better i think. love alyx though, charming but why cant i carry her when shes down in episode 2? gordon is her to be partner right? no more to talk. this is a very good game. still play it alongside with other new crappy fps games (cods, farcrys, crysis, etc), nofor a 2004 game, no wonder this game got high scores. very good graphics and gameplay. storyline, very good but half-life 1 is better i think. love alyx though, charming but why cant i carry her when shes down in episode 2? gordon is her to be partner right? no more to talk. this is a very good game. still play it alongside with other new crappy fps games (cods, farcrys, crysis, etc), no offence though. however, it is the biggest shame of the century though that they dont continue the half life franchise ~i dunno if they do, still waiting :) come on valve, u guys are like albert einstein in the gaming world, dont stop developing E=mc2 formulas or we wont have any nuclear warheads. if you guys publish the long-waited continuance of half-life franchise, i swear ill buy the original copy of the game, no more jack sparrow dvds or torrents. take your time, but not your fans patience

*my rating here is for half life 2 and its episodes games including the orange box. good job valve!
  71. Mar 29, 2014
    As this game has won over 50 awards, me personally having 1700+ hours on it, winning Game of the Year 2004 AND Game of the Decade... (By IGN) This game truly is amazing. From the story to the characters to the gravity gun, this game cannot get boring despite coming out in 2004. As Half-Life 2 is at max settings, you can easily compare this game to any of today's titles, and still think itAs this game has won over 50 awards, me personally having 1700+ hours on it, winning Game of the Year 2004 AND Game of the Decade... (By IGN) This game truly is amazing. From the story to the characters to the gravity gun, this game cannot get boring despite coming out in 2004. As Half-Life 2 is at max settings, you can easily compare this game to any of today's titles, and still think it has great graphics. Expand
  72. Mar 27, 2014
    Graphics: For a 2004 game. the graphics can't be beaten and somehow are still kinda up-to-date even in 2014

Gameplay: Smooth, no bugs/glitches, nothing that annoys you constantly other then one or two parts where you couldn't find the exit or couldn't complete the puzzle. Story: Better then anything I've ever seen, total masterpiece! The game doesn't only uses dialogs to give the

Story: Better then anything I've ever seen, total masterpiece! The game doesn't only uses dialogs to give the storyline but also graffiti/posts and even sounds to not only immerse the player to the world but tell the story of it. many times you can hear ingame "echos" of the past.

There're very few games in my 10/10 games list, Half-life and Half-life 2 are ones of it.

for all those who say the game is overrated are trying to be "out-of-the-hoard" and fight against psychology, something they don't understand is impossible.
  73. Mar 26, 2014
    The game I have been waiting for my whole life. This is the way I like FPS genre, the gameplay of this game is just so smooth you will not believe what you see. The game has got everything you would need. When I first played it in 2004 I was amazed. I couldn't believe my eyes. The graphics and animations made the game look like a movie, everything seemed almost perfect. But then I got toThe game I have been waiting for my whole life. This is the way I like FPS genre, the gameplay of this game is just so smooth you will not believe what you see. The game has got everything you would need. When I first played it in 2004 I was amazed. I couldn't believe my eyes. The graphics and animations made the game look like a movie, everything seemed almost perfect. But then I got to experience the physics. The Source engine is really a brilliant piece of work, the way everything was moving and living really made my jaw drop. And with all these beautiful and functional graphics came an immensely intense gaming experience. Half-Life 2 focused more on the story side than its predecessor, almost every G-Man speech remained in your memory and made you really take a step back and think about all the things that happened already in the Half-Life universe. Amazing gameplay from the first game stayed and got even better because of all the new features brought by the new engine. The most anticipated game in my life did not disappoint me, this is a real must-play, which gives you no other choice in rating the game. 10/10 for my second most favourite game of all time. Expand
  74. Mar 24, 2014
    This is probably one of the best games I have ever played. Just amazing. Incredible story and playability. No critics to this game at all. A masterpiece.
  75. Mar 23, 2014
    Best single player game ever. 10 years later most of these scenes are still better looking than the newest games that come out in 2014, and it deserves an 11 for that. Graphics aren't just high definition textures and more polygons, they are also the context they are put into, proportion, and sound.
  76. Mar 8, 2014
    El juego es simplemente espectacular, ambientes, sus detalles, historia, personajes en especial G-man y Gordon que son mis favoritos de la saga, ni hablar de las fisicas, el unico problema es el doblaje al español XD debieron haber sacado una version en español latino.
  77. Mar 7, 2014
    This game is FPS at its best! No matter how many times you play it, youll either crap your pants or have your mind explode out of the sheer awesomeness of this g...you havnt lived yet.
  78. Mar 6, 2014

Atmosphere 10
    Length 10

Half life 2 is Awesome
  79. Mar 1, 2014
    This game is just wonderful. It has a great story, great atmosphere and most of all characters which you won't forget quickly. I think it's more an adventure FPS, where you can discover a world with interesting enemies and places (even if it's linear). The physics engine and graphics are also revolutionary and changed the FPS!
    PS: Do yourself a favour and DON'T DOWNLOAD THE CINEMATIC MOD!
    PS: Do yourself a favour and DON'T DOWNLOAD THE CINEMATIC MOD! It destroys the atmosphere, characters and gameplay of Half-Life 2!
  80. Feb 24, 2014
    It is a amazing game i have finished it 3 times so i feel i have a pretty good understanding of what the game is sure there is a few small bugs. That's the only thing i found wrong where the small bugs.
  81. Feb 14, 2014
    A true memorable game with great mechanics and story. This is one of my favorite games and I really hope that it'll have a sequell with the same or better quality.
  82. Feb 5, 2014
    Only two games ever I can say that the second I finished playing, that I just started over immediately, being this and Super Metroid. Half Life 2 is just one of those games that gets everything right. To find fault, one must look pretty hard. Valve brilliantly incorporated it's source engine in their true masterpiece.

When you find truly good games, you of ten find things put in by

When you find truly good games, you of ten find things put in by the developers to enhance the realism. For example, in Metroid Prime, Samus's reflection can be seen during flashes of light and certain events. She also interacts with her arm cannon if you wait around long enough, creating the whole image that Samus isn't just what you tell her to do. This is evident in HL2 in spades. Explosions deafen you, guns wield realistically, and infinite amounts of care went into character's expressions and tone of voice.

This game is truly an instant classic that has an amazing story, well developed characters, awesome gameplay, and truly impressive depth. This game is good to the core.
  83. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 8 out of 10, Graphics: 9 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 9 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10, Length: 10 out of 10, Re-play: 7 out of 10, Value: 10 out of 10
  84. Jan 28, 2014
    This is one of my favourites. It's long and has nice traps that you can use. Even enemies were cool. Sometimes the AI annoys me but usually it's fine. The welcome to Ravenholm was my favourite part of the game.
  85. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half Life 2 is the best game ever!!! Even though multiplayer is not that popular, we really need to look at the story. I can't stop playing Half Life 2!!! So much mystery and Half Life 2 has the best gameplay. Half Life 2 has a really good weapon's sounds and you can kind of feel the weapon like it's in your hands. There are really great characters like Alyx, Barney and other people you meet, and there are some characters that you want to beat up like Dr. Breen and G-Man. Guns are awesome too. I can't believe that in the end of the game they also take your normal Gravity Gun and make it a Super Gravity Gun. And The only thing I might not really like is that you don't have a sniper rifle, but it's good that Valve at least put a crossbow in the game. I also like the physics. Source made this game awesome and the graphics are still better than some games we play today!!! Expand
  86. NLS
    Jan 21, 2014
    There is a reason I review this 10 years after its release.
    Even today, this game is a MONUMENT to gaming.
    So many things done so right. It stands well (actually great) even today. We see many of the concepts other games used after HL2, here in their original form. Actually some things in HL2 are still not implemented (properly) in other games of the genre. Pity Valve is weird about
    There is a reason I review this 10 years after its release.
    Even today, this game is a MONUMENT to gaming.
    So many things done so right.
    It stands well (actually great) even today.
    Pity Valve is weird about the release of sequels (Portal/Portal 2 another example). This game REALLY REALLY deserves a fantastic HL3 (which is possibly what Valve is afraid of).
    This is the other game from Valve that needs to be (and actually is, topping some) in EVERY "best games of all times" list.
    Who ever doesn't have this, yes 10 years after release go and get it.
  87. Jan 20, 2014
    Half Life 2 has reached such a level of the story, the characters, the atmosphere that it can not be called just a game. Everything about this game is amazing it is a must buy, you will know what I mean if you play this game. I would give it an 11/10 if I could.
  88. Jan 19, 2014
    This is the game of the games.YOU might think it is bad now because of the graphics, but back in the day, it was simply out of this world. So not judge it with games like BF3, or ARMA or COD. If you look at the games released back then, most of them were **** If you want to compare Half-Life with others games, then wait for Half-Life 3.
  89. Jwv
    Jan 18, 2014
    Probably the best single-player game I have ever played on PC. The Source engine has a great eye for detail; portrays a realistic picture of a totalitarian regime, which kindles a real sense of sympathy with the rebels; a squad-system (although not the best); likeable, unique and realistic characters; varied gameplay and locations with some particularly epic parts like Ravenholm (whichProbably the best single-player game I have ever played on PC. The Source engine has a great eye for detail; portrays a realistic picture of a totalitarian regime, which kindles a real sense of sympathy with the rebels; a squad-system (although not the best); likeable, unique and realistic characters; varied gameplay and locations with some particularly epic parts like Ravenholm (which even now, 10 years later, still gives me the creeps), the hovercraft and buggy scenes, and your first Strider-confrontation; cool weapons; smart AI; an enormous amount of different enemies to shoot; a great story; a great momentum in the game (action-packed and serene scenes alternate nicely); an enjoyable soundtrack adapted to every moment (cf. combat, Ravenholm, etc.), good voice-acting and great sound-effects (anyone not creeped out by the zombie-dogs?); smart puzzles (but just some really stand out), great use of physics; and one of the best first hours of gameplay ever (with a great sense of dependence, realism and adrenaline). Expand
  90. Jan 12, 2014
    G-Man: Rise and shine, Mister Freeman. Rise and... shine. Not that I... wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No one is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your hour has... come again.
    G-Man: The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So, wake up, Mister Freeman. Wake up and... *smell the ashes*... The game is just amazing.
  91. Jan 8, 2014
    Half life 2:
    +Amazing Graphics+
    +Nice Characters+
    +Nice Storyline+
    +Nice Weapons+
    +Great Enemies+
    +Strong AI+

Half life 2 is Awesome, still playing it!
  92. Jan 6, 2014
    Truly, Half life 2 was one of the most polished games ever. Its refreshing to see a linear game that focuses on level design and not multiplayer. I have played the game several times, and it never fails to satisfy. there is a superb job on voice acting and story telling. Moreover, the graphics were unheard of at the time. the physics were sublime, and the game could be scary at parts. InTruly, Half life 2 was one of the most polished games ever. Its refreshing to see a linear game that focuses on level design and not multiplayer. I have played the game several times, and it never fails to satisfy. there is a superb job on voice acting and story telling. Moreover, the graphics were unheard of at the time. the physics were sublime, and the game could be scary at parts. In the beginning, its more sneaking around and trying to get from place to place, then it becomes scary, then it becomes an all out battle. I love the way the game progresses. Expand
  93. Jan 3, 2014
    Half-Life 2... Where do I start. Even now I am still in awe by just how amazing this game is. I wish I could rate this something like 9.9/10; if it weren't for a few minor things than it would have gotten my full appraisal.

The gameplay is varied, you could either be trying to avoid walking on sand to attract antlions, driving around in different vehicles, or shooting through hoards of zombies/combine. Along with this, the game uses a physics engine to make gameplay varied, either in puzzles or in combat.
    The story is immersive, well paced, and interesting. Superb dialogue. Along with all of this, the game looks and runs very well.

The game had minor faults. Some areas would feel a little too long, i found myself really only using the shotgun and SMG, the other weapons I would use only once my ammo ran out. The rocket launcher I used basically when I absolutely needed to e.g when trying to take down a helicopter. The ending was great, but left more questions than answers.

Overall, the game was just astounding and surprisingly good. If you are a fan of first person shooters you need to play Half-Life 2.
  94. Jan 3, 2014
    Quite possibly the best FPS ever made. People below and above this who have rated it 5 to 0 have either been influenced by how bad Steam used to be (which I can really understand, 3-5 hours installation time is really going to change your overall opinion of a game) and have not remebered that this game was made in 2004. For the time it was released, the story, AI, graphics and physicsQuite possibly the best FPS ever made. People below and above this who have rated it 5 to 0 have either been influenced by how bad Steam used to be (which I can really understand, 3-5 hours installation time is really going to change your overall opinion of a game) and have not remebered that this game was made in 2004. For the time it was released, the story, AI, graphics and physics engine were exceptional and such quality in a game was unheard of. If you want more up-to-date versions of this game that continue the storyline and improve texture quality (and a good chance to see what Steam as it was then turned into; a brilliant idea that other publishers then took up, such as Uplay [Ubisoft], Origin [EA] and the XBOX LIVE Marketplace [Microsoft]) then get Steam and knock yourself out with Half Life: Episode 1 and Half Life: Episode 2. Expand
  95. Jan 1, 2014
    Absolutely, unquestionably one of the greatest games to hit the surface of our fair planet. Still, to this day amazing. I have lost count of the amount of times I have played through this game. The elegance of the leve design is unbelievable. introduce a concept.... let you use it.... then challenge you with it and make you feel really clever for working it out. Stunning story.
  96. Dec 31, 2013
    The Game That Started it all for me, and got me On to steam. Love This game over and over again. I can play this game, but it is frustrating at moments, just when I think I cant pass a part I figure it out no problem.
  97. Dec 30, 2013
    A heavily anticipated sequel to the seminally influential Half-Life, Half-Life 2 is an indubitably well-executed and enthralling media experience. The game artfully exemplifies a precipiced human race beset with the horror of a xenocratic dystopia whilst also providing interaction and levity with relatable characters, both central and minor. From the very outset, I was immersed in theA heavily anticipated sequel to the seminally influential Half-Life, Half-Life 2 is an indubitably well-executed and enthralling media experience. The game artfully exemplifies a precipiced human race beset with the horror of a xenocratic dystopia whilst also providing interaction and levity with relatable characters, both central and minor. From the very outset, I was immersed in the eerie mystique of the opening characters and the ostensibly artificial setting. The player's character, Gordon Freeman, never speaks, nor does he need to; his humanity and heroism become progressively apparent as the player completes the game, despite the perennial air of mystery he conveys.

The immersive realism of the game is brilliantly augmented by precise and complex game physics, impressive facial animation, and the perpetual necessity for the player to utilise his environment to complete chapters, rather than the gameplay being excessively linear and unchallenging.
    The dark, tyrannical undertones of the game stir the player to empathise with the plight of the fledgling resistance movement and become further psychologically involved in the plot. Half-Life 2 is gripping, stimulating and revolutionary. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
  98. Dec 25, 2013
    Half-Life 2......it doesn't do a whole lot differently than other games in the shooter genre in terms of pure gameplay innovation, but it takes existing styles, then mixes, matches and makes them better. Another triumph.
  99. Dec 23, 2013
    It's just amazing game. Physics looks really realistic and shooting system is great. My jaw has dropped after playing this for 30 minutes. Valve's done a great work. Graphics looks nice for 2004 and story is really addictive. I want to see next episode, Half-Life 3 or Half-Life 2: Episode Three. No words, the best game EVER.
  100. Dec 21, 2013
    Wow, was amazed. The first game I played was the first half life, and it was amazing, accept the old graphics. Half life 2 was even more amazing, the combination of the action and the puzzles were awesome, I have played many modern first person shooter games, but even if it's 10 years old, this is the best. And about the graphics, you can always play cinematic mod.