9.2

1. Mar 15, 2015
    remind me, why is this game so popular again? what does it do so well/uniquely that makes it one of the best games ever? frankly, this game is one of the most overrated games ever, not in the sense that it is bad, but in the sense that people say it is that good. it isnt. these games really dont' stand as their own franchise. i cant think of a single thing this game does better than anyremind me, why is this game so popular again? what does it do so well/uniquely that makes it one of the best games ever? frankly, this game is one of the most overrated games ever, not in the sense that it is bad, but in the sense that people say it is that good. it isnt. these games really dont' stand as their own franchise. i cant think of a single thing this game does better than any other game of its own genre. the level design is lame, the enemy AI is laughable, and it is hyped to oblivion. Expand
  2. Jun 9, 2015
    Ok, Freeman is my nickname for all time, but Half Life 2 is the best game ever ! The GOTY of all years.
    Valve, please, I can't wait a new Half Life 3 ... !

I love you Gordon !
  3. Aug 2, 2015
    Fantastic atmosphere, great graphics that stands the test of time, great storyline, intelligent puzzles and a lot of action make Half-Life 2 one of the best FPS games ever. I liked the classic first part too but this is the one that really made me a fan.
  4. Sep 25, 2015
    The most overhyped game ever. Much worse than the original, instead of the varied aliens, you will mostly face human soldiers. Boring. On top of this, levels are counter-intuitive, easy to get lost and not find the way forward. Black Mesa in HL1 was an exciting place, compared to that, the levels are bland and uninteresting. Play the original instead, that is much better.
  5. Jan 18, 2016
    An awesome atmosphere, funny gameplay, intruiging story...
    A very submersive game
    that should be played by anyone,despite genre preferences ( I normally don't like FPS games).
    Just play it.
  6. Oct 18, 2016
    First, it's chosen as the best game made in 2004, then it's chosen as the game of the decade, then it's chosen as the best FPS game ever made, then it's chosen as the best PC game ever made. Now, it's the best game ever made, without doubt.
  7. Apr 10, 2017
    It's crazy to think that this is the standard we had back in 2004, and now the majority of games being released to day are broken messes filled with DLC that should have come as standard. I wish we could go back to the days when developers had a passion for the games they were making and the fans who bought them.
  8. Aug 23, 2010
    Half Life 2 is the very first FPS that I've played. It has probably been the best game that i have ever played in a long time. I started playing platform games, so Half Life 2 took some practice, but it was the best game since Super Mario World. The level design is perfect, the enemies are balanced, and it is long. This game will definitly keep you busy.
  9. Mar 15, 2011
    years later still the best game evar. I play a level or so every so often to this day. I don't do that with Doom 3, i don't do that with Painkiller (its contemporaries). I do that with Half-Life 2. Literally a work of art. creepy. sci-fi weird. even scary at times. Facial animation was revolutionary at the time. and it came with steam! at the time i had dial-up so i was **** and moaningyears later still the best game evar. I play a level or so every so often to this day. I don't do that with Doom 3, i don't do that with Painkiller (its contemporaries). I do that with Half-Life 2. Literally a work of art. creepy. sci-fi weird. even scary at times. Facial animation was revolutionary at the time. and it came with steam! at the time i had dial-up so i was **** and moaning because it took an additional day for the game to update and it wouldn't let me play without it. but now, thank god for steam. It is single handedly doing the heavy lifting to keep the PC gaming community alive. Valve, keep doing what you do. Episode 3 wouldn't hurt, but Half-life 3 would be even better. I have yet to play a Valve game i didn't like. I remember drooling over gaming magazines when they were showing images from the upcoming HL2. and the videos they released that showcased the physics. That clip of the manhacks coming down the hallway, whirring along slicing up everything in their path. And their take on audio is awesome. The sirens, the voices of the combine through masks or communicators. the sound of those weird energy orb thingies. down to the solid way the very first handgun felt in "your" hand. Dont expect textures to be as great as now, and the models have less vertexes and whatnot, but just know, that these guys did it best first. nobody did physics that well then. and Source still holds up.

Yes STR7THZ, i agree.
  10. Jul 30, 2011
    I find it hard to thinkof how one cannot like this. This is FPS at it's finest, it **** CoD in the face. If you miss out on this, you miss out on everything.
  11. Aug 16, 2011
    Creo que lo he jugado muchas veces, lo voy a descargar de nuevp desde mi steam para jugarlo otra vez, es el mejor fps de todos, jamas me aburre y la historia te inmersa en un mundo realmente increible!!, ojala pudiera entrar en el juego!!, le doy 10, lo he jugado desde muchos años...realmente sick!!!
  12. Dec 26, 2011
    Endless possibilities awaiting for you with the Source Engine presented by VALVe Corporation with their best game ever made: Half-Life: 2.
    Extreme action in this FPS game with one of the most original stories,between us,who the hell would had thought of putting a scientist as the main character in an FPS game? There is no reason for your delay,if You haven't played it yet,go buy it now. trust me,I know it will give you 'the feeling'.

Sam Segal.26.12.11
  13. Mar 7, 2012
    An amazing game. I spent countless hours playing this when it first came out, I dont know if it still holds up today, but still a game that everyone should play.
  14. Apr 26, 2012
    Truly one of the greatest videogames - nay - pieces of entertainment of our generation. Combining a well-executed script, engaging plot and lovable characters that will become instantly attachable. The blend of puzzle and action makes for exceptional gameplay and Valve's Source Engine flexes it's muscles on this title. Half-Life 2 is the definition of a perfect videogame.

And, there's

And, there's that boat-ride...
  15. Jun 18, 2012
    Simply amazing. A large improvement from the original. The story can be hard to follow, but it's still interesting. Graphics are amazing as always, especially with the new physics engine implemented in. I'm looking forward to the future of this game franchise.
  16. Oct 6, 2012
    The game is really fun. The graphics are nice, the gravity gun is very cool, the story is nicely told but generally quite a mess. It is a first-person shooter with nice dialogs (or rather monologs, you see, Gordon is obviously mutant), movement freedom and many physics. Nothing less, nothing more.
  17. Mar 17, 2013
    Half-Life is one of the best first-person shooter games out there! Even though it came out in 2004, its still GOOD! You can get on Steam for a few bucks. You can buy the entire Half-Life series on Steam just for 40 bucks, one new video game is 60 bucks. There it looks like you really got the entire series only buying the series with 40 bucks. But anyway the graphics of the game is good,Half-Life is one of the best first-person shooter games out there! Even though it came out in 2004, its still GOOD! You can get on Steam for a few bucks. You can buy the entire Half-Life series on Steam just for 40 bucks, one new video game is 60 bucks. There it looks like you really got the entire series only buying the series with 40 bucks. But anyway the graphics of the game is good, the story-line is interesting, but Ravenholm level is quite scary (for most people it is). GO ahead and download the free demo of Half Life 2 to try it out, the demo is on steam! Expand
  18. Aug 5, 2013
    Half-Life 2 has astonished us from start to finish. Valve has done to the FPS genre what restaurants in Chinatown do to ducks; shredded it, smothered it in a delicious sauce of their own devising, and served it up in a way which you simply couldn't have imagined when looking at them in the pond.
  19. Aug 7, 2013
    HL2 is all about immersion. Great storytelling, original in so many ways. Masterpiece.
    I would say there is only one flaw: some guns may need a tweak to work well or simply aim 10 meters ahead.
  20. Aug 11, 2013
    A brilliant mix of puzzles action and story with a big mystery, with creative enemies and weapons, and revolutionary physics and is so immersing that when you hear a zombie it will want to make you look behind you, Half life 2 is a game you just cant miss. (Watch out for the G-man!)
  21. Jan 28, 2014
    This is one of my favourites. It's long and has nice traps that you can use. Even enemies were cool. Sometimes the AI annoys me but usually it's fine. The welcome to Ravenholm was my favourite part of the game.
  22. Mar 8, 2014
    El juego es simplemente espectacular, ambientes, sus detalles, historia, personajes en especial G-man y Gordon que son mis favoritos de la saga, ni hablar de las fisicas, el unico problema es el doblaje al español XD debieron haber sacado una version en español latino.
  23. Apr 12, 2014
    What's to say that hasn't been said already? It's a Half-Life game. It's one of the best FPS's with great game effects ever published. If you haven't played this game...well, you're missing out. Even as dated as it is the game is still unbelievably fun to play.
  24. Apr 15, 2014
    Some issues, firstly, the character you're playing as does not utter a single word during the game, it felt like I was playing Pokemon with guns mixed with that alien film, I found the game to be extremely racist in terms of the liquid based hazards, the clear water is nice and non-poisonous, the multicolored liquid is the opposite, just what sort of racist ideologies are Valve trying toSome issues, firstly, the character you're playing as does not utter a single word during the game, it felt like I was playing Pokemon with guns mixed with that alien film, I found the game to be extremely racist in terms of the liquid based hazards, the clear water is nice and non-poisonous, the multicolored liquid is the opposite, just what sort of racist ideologies are Valve trying to force onto us!?
    Overall, fun game with nice mechanics and a good mix of puzzle solving and action, nice one Valve.
    I give it a six.
  25. Aug 14, 2014
    Half-Life 2 is one of the best games ever and maybe the best FPS of all time. The Great and interesting story, the great gameplay and the great level design made this game one of my favorites.
  26. Nov 13, 2016
    The best video game ever made, from the physics to the story to the gameplay to the settings and so forth. It is perfectly created and I still love it 12 years after its release.
  27. Dec 6, 2016
    Это невероятная игра, советую каждому кто не знает о ней (ТАКИЕ вообще существуют?) :D Серьёзно, кто может не знать о халфе. Это великая игра, культовая, закоренелая классика уже. Вы просто обязаны пройти обе части и оба длс и ждать как и все нормальные люди HALF - LIFE 3!!!! :DЭто невероятная игра, советую каждому кто не знает о ней (ТАКИЕ вообще существуют?) :D Серьёзно, кто может не знать о халфе. Это великая игра, культовая, закоренелая классика уже. Вы просто обязаны пройти обе части и оба длс и ждать как и все нормальные люди HALF - LIFE 3!!!! :D
  28. Jul 26, 2017
    Not as good as the first but still worth playing. It's just a big dumb tech demo at it's core but it still has some really fun moments especially for when it came out.
  29. Apr 18, 2011
    Do i need to say more besides that it is the best game of all time?
  30. Jul 12, 2011
    This is one of the best linear FPS games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The linear style leaves very little room to get lost, which is something that turns me off of a game immediately, and gets you through the story in a timely manner while still leaving small areas that can be explored at the player's leisure. While the characters may not be especially deep, the voice acting isThis is one of the best linear FPS games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The linear style leaves very little room to get lost, which is something that turns me off of a game immediately, and gets you through the story in a timely manner while still leaving small areas that can be explored at the player's leisure. While the characters may not be especially deep, the voice acting is spot-on and is one of the better examples of good voice acting in the gaming world. If you didn't play through Half-Life, which I strongly suggest you do, you may not understand a few plot points. However, not playing Half-Life does not ruin the experience of playing Half-Life 2. This is a solid game that can be played over and over again and is a prime example of what good games should look like. Expand
  31. Aug 1, 2011
    I dont know why this game is so great, everything flows real nice, the shooting parts are amazing, the guns functions perfectly, real intense gameplay, sometimes we got real creep scenes, night scenes.. we can ride a boat, a car.. the Source Engine is trully powerfull and a "cheepy" PC can run this game nicelly!

The context is so great as everythin on the game, got the same level as the

The context is so great as everythin on the game, got the same level as the first game and much more.
  32. Aug 4, 2011
    Usually, I like to go in-depth with my reviews and my explanations for my opinion. However, in this case, I feel there is no need. Because if you don't like this game...you don't like video games. That is all.
  33. May 7, 2012
    Really awesome game!The best storyline combined with the source engine= this game!I recommend it to everyone who is in doubt, this game rules, and the price is too low in my opinion! (6.99 euro)
  34. May 18, 2012
    This game has a heart like no other, except the first one. The best sequel you could ever imagine. Great graphics and very few bugs. -I have now completed it 5 times and it never gets boring.
  35. May 24, 2012
    Best game ever at time of release. It pushed the limits of creativity, story telling, engine, physics, action thrills, etc. Since then, a few games I have played have exceeded in one of those categories but not everyone.
  36. Sep 25, 2012
    A brilliant game and an epic sequel to one of the best shooters of all time - making it also one of the best shooters of all time. I could elaborate more but instead I think I'll just say you REALLY have to play it if you haven't already and if you have played it you know it's the best!!
  37. Nov 25, 2012
    Quite possibly the greatest FPS of all time. There is almost nothing in this game that is bad. I love how the game puts you in control of the character and never says "I'm gonna take away your power, a cutscene has appeared." There are no cutscenes. The level designs are detailed, the Source engine is fantastic, the main characters are memorable, the Headcrabs will make you nervous, andQuite possibly the greatest FPS of all time. There is almost nothing in this game that is bad. I love how the game puts you in control of the character and never says "I'm gonna take away your power, a cutscene has appeared." There are no cutscenes. The level designs are detailed, the Source engine is fantastic, the main characters are memorable, the Headcrabs will make you nervous, and the plotline will make you want to keep on going right to the very end. The only real problem? Valve, apparently, isn't very good at giving us information on a Half-life 3. If you get this game, expect a wait for the next one. And trust me, you'll really want another Half-life. Expand
  38. Jan 9, 2013
    Best shooter ever, best computer game ever, best physics in games ever, best game ever, it is possible not to love science fiction, it is possible not to love shooters, but not to love this game it is impossible.
  39. Apr 15, 2013
    Lack of story telling; leaves you with a mindless fast paced shooter that gets old after a few hours of gameplay. Cutscenes are non existent as well which only enforces the lack of story this game has, which is unfortunate because with a simple google search you can discover how in depth it truly is.
  40. Apr 17, 2013
    The most overrated game of all time. The silent protagonist is dated even by 2004 standards. The graphics are good, but lack spirit. The guns don't feel quite powerfull enough. The story is nothing special, unoriginal even. It feel like they just made it up as they went along.
    It's not a bad game, but it definetly not a great game let alone a classic one.
  41. Apr 23, 2013
    You know, we're in 2013 and i still play Half-Life² and this is one of many assets that the game has. Every Valve's FPS have the rights to pretend being the best, because they are! Fluid but accurate, fast but sometimes we stop our rush to think at some enigma... The development system of Half-Life² allowed us to throw everything we can see throughout the story, to have an optimized game,You know, we're in 2013 and i still play Half-Life² and this is one of many assets that the game has. Every Valve's FPS have the rights to pretend being the best, because they are! Fluid but accurate, fast but sometimes we stop our rush to think at some enigma... The development system of Half-Life² allowed us to throw everything we can see throughout the story, to have an optimized game, to have beautiful textures and models for a 2004 olden and to make our own maps! And that's awesome too! We can talk about how mythical Gordon Freeman and all his environment is. Valve always had the idea to let the player think about what happens next this is another asset )
    To me, Half-Life² and all the range "Half-Life" deserve to have a place in the perfection.
  42. Jun 27, 2013
    I'm very disappointing.

Yes, this is a good FPS, it will entertain you. You will kill aliens and gards of city 17 with the greatest hero of video game, he shots and that's all. He never talks a word, or something, just follow his friends to save the world. You will like the world where you evoluate and the alliens jumps and attack you with suprise, I was scary. And for a lot of
    I'm very disappointing.

Yes, this is a good FPS, it will entertain you.
    He never talks a word, or something, just follow his friends to save the world.
    And for a lot of hours, you will like that, but take episode 1 and 2, because the end of the game isn't the "real" end.

I like this but, I'm amaze of the Half life 2's reward. All gamers say "Best game of the decade" and ultra-fanboys say "Best game ever of all times for the centuries to the centuries".
    I love half life 2 but I didn't see something of marking.

Maybe it's me and my tastes of sh**
    Maybe the game undergo the old age, the evolution of FPS, and that's not "actual"
    Maybe the game was overestimates since its sold.
    Maybe the game is always overestimates.
    I don't know.

For conclusion. Yes, you will enjoy for 15h hours the pleasure to control "the Freman" and kill ennemies, with difficulties for many times (congratulations to striders).

And maybe you will join the anothers gamers for say "This is the most experience gaming of the world".

Or you should can say "What the hell No multi No openworlds A lot of sh**"

Or you will think like me "Maybe I miss something, or the game takes 9 years, or another reason but I don't receiveid the best experience ever.
    But I enjoy this game and Freeman accomplished the first objective of a game entertain the gamers. And thanks for this Valve"

(Sorry for my english, I'm french)
  43. Jul 14, 2013
    I would give the game a 90 out of 100.

Pro´s: Gun play: (To achieve guns u have to get to some progress points in-game. Every new weapon is it totally worth it to play. The only bad thing here is that u have the full weapon set in the middle of the game.) The Gun play of the weapons is amazing. Never got such a good feeling with this. Story: The Story is ok. Nothing special. Levels:
    I would give the game a 90 out of 100.

Pro´s:
    Gun play: (To achieve guns u have to get to some progress points in-game.
    Story: The Story is ok. Nothing special.
    Levels: Well designed Level maps. I like the change between darker and brighter areas.

Contras:
    At some points its going to get frustrating for noobs like me. Especially at the end of the game. (chapter 11 and 12) chapter 1-10 and 13 are well balanced.
    Bugs: Sometimes the KI blocks your way and you die. Additional you stuck and can´t jump out at some points.

Overall this game is still worth to play it in 2013 and have a much better Solo mod than Battlefield and CoD.
  44. Aug 24, 2013
    I dont know, HOW some people can love this crap in the present day? This game have not so much, just good gameplay and nothig more. Not genious story, not awesome graphic, just a game. Without mods it should be suck.
  45. Aug 30, 2013
    As of now, this game hasn't really aged well. The combat is extremely simple and boring, just point at the enemy and hold left click. The only thing interesting is the Gravity Gun, but that's also kind of boring because even games like Sonic 06 implemented this combat feature for Silver the Hedgehog. So yes, the combat is meh.

The graphics is still pretty good for today if it has

The graphics is still pretty good for today if it has improved lighting and better textures. The story is very uninteresting, I also don't feel attached to characters like Alyx, Barney, and others. Like the part when you are seperated from Alyx and you have to go to Ravenholm. I'm just like, meh I'll move on. I don't feel worried of other characters in danger and all that For a game that is supposed to be story driven, it is extremely BAD AT STORY.

People say that this game is a physics puzzle game, but guess what? None of the puzzles are hard. All it takes is to stack enough objects on one specific place and move on. Nothing challenging there, so why is it a physics puzzle game?

The game is very linear, but also provides some exploring you can do to find hidden pockets of extra health, armor and ammo, which is stupid because you'll encounter a lot of them on plain sight, so you can survive this game on hard mode without ever finding the hidden supplies.

Overall, for today's standard, it is an average cookie-cutter first person shooter and for $10, it's good I guess.
  46. Nov 14, 2013
    Though it did change the WAY we look at games in general, I have never been wowed by Half Life's gameplay. It gets an 8 from me standing on it's genre changing nature all by its own, but if you stood it up only on it's game play, I would probably give it a 6.
  47. Jan 3, 2014
    Quite possibly the best FPS ever made. People below and above this who have rated it 5 to 0 have either been influenced by how bad Steam used to be (which I can really understand, 3-5 hours installation time is really going to change your overall opinion of a game) and have not remebered that this game was made in 2004. For the time it was released, the story, AI, graphics and physicsQuite possibly the best FPS ever made. People below and above this who have rated it 5 to 0 have either been influenced by how bad Steam used to be (which I can really understand, 3-5 hours installation time is really going to change your overall opinion of a game) and have not remebered that this game was made in 2004. For the time it was released, the story, AI, graphics and physics engine were exceptional and such quality in a game was unheard of. If you want more up-to-date versions of this game that continue the storyline and improve texture quality (and a good chance to see what Steam as it was then turned into; a brilliant idea that other publishers then took up, such as Uplay [Ubisoft], Origin [EA] and the XBOX LIVE Marketplace [Microsoft]) then get Steam and knock yourself out with Half Life: Episode 1 and Half Life: Episode 2. Expand
  48. Mar 26, 2014
    The game I have been waiting for my whole life. This is the way I like FPS genre, the gameplay of this game is just so smooth you will not believe what you see. The game has got everything you would need. When I first played it in 2004 I was amazed. I couldn't believe my eyes. The graphics and animations made the game look like a movie, everything seemed almost perfect. But then I got toThe game I have been waiting for my whole life. This is the way I like FPS genre, the gameplay of this game is just so smooth you will not believe what you see. The game has got everything you would need. When I first played it in 2004 I was amazed. I couldn't believe my eyes. The graphics and animations made the game look like a movie, everything seemed almost perfect. But then I got to experience the physics. The Source engine is really a brilliant piece of work, the way everything was moving and living really made my jaw drop. And with all these beautiful and functional graphics came an immensely intense gaming experience. Half-Life 2 focused more on the story side than its predecessor, almost every G-Man speech remained in your memory and made you really take a step back and think about all the things that happened already in the Half-Life universe. Amazing gameplay from the first game stayed and got even better because of all the new features brought by the new engine. The most anticipated game in my life did not disappoint me, this is a real must-play, which gives you no other choice in rating the game. 10/10 for my second most favourite game of all time. Expand
  49. Jun 6, 2014
    half-life 2 = one of the best games if not the best one i have played, with its outstanding graphics (released in 2004 so do not expect bf4 type stuff) and story this game already gets a good review but it goes even further and better, the atmosphere of the world really gets a glimpse about the alien invasion and the cities last stand, people are depresed and sad about their loss and nowhalf-life 2 = one of the best games if not the best one i have played, with its outstanding graphics (released in 2004 so do not expect bf4 type stuff) and story this game already gets a good review but it goes even further and better, the atmosphere of the world really gets a glimpse about the alien invasion and the cities last stand, people are depresed and sad about their loss and now live in a horrible place, the combat feels free (at the time) you can grab everything you like and can and throw it at enemies and even react to it and get distracted (if you throw it at the right one) and the thing that i like more above all is the characters there is only one word i can describe them........alive, well maybe two.......alive and kicking
    this game gets my 2nd place in my favorite games of all time easily
    10/10-my crowbar approves :)
  50. Sep 27, 2014
    The ultra responsive Source engine coupled with a great story and excellent graphics for its time. It's nothing short of a revolution. No wonder why it has universal acclaim.
  51. Oct 9, 2014
    Let me just open the review by saying this is my favorite game of all time. I only finished the game last year, but it still blew me away (even though it was 9 years old!). The story is excellent, and blew me away. The game play mechanics are excellent, and the only critical thing I thing I can say about the game is that it got a bit slow on a few chapters (I'm looking at you RouteLet me just open the review by saying this is my favorite game of all time. I only finished the game last year, but it still blew me away (even though it was 9 years old!). The story is excellent, and blew me away. The game play mechanics are excellent, and the only critical thing I thing I can say about the game is that it got a bit slow on a few chapters (I'm looking at you Route Canal). All in All, its the most perfect a game can really get. Play it if you haven't already! Expand
  52. Mar 10, 2015
    Classic! CLASSIC! everything about this is classic! CLASSIC! CLASSIC! Without this game, there will not be Borderlands, Warframe and urgh,.. I dunno This game is sooo perfect. If you look at other games, there will be alot of Half Life 2 inspiration.
  53. Oct 4, 2015
    One of the best games ever :) Everything is great. The AI is one of the best os all times, the graphics are amazing even now, the physics, well, brilliant. Valve is one of a kinds in video games
  54. Jan 8, 2016
    Even in 2016, this game still stands up well against its modern equivalents as it is. It can be further enhanced with a few good mods to improve the graphics etc.
  55. Apr 5, 2016
    don't get people rating the game mixed, more then 10 years after it got released,
    this was a revolution when it came out, although not as good as half life 1, this still deserves a 10.
    great level design, enemies and classic shooter gameplay.
  56. Mar 29, 2017
    Half Life 2 is the perfect sequel to Half Life. A good story and nice graphics for it's time truly make it a classic. However, the gameplay gets repetitive, with puzzles coming constantly at you and the gunplay being like any other FPS, in which you are mostry a bullet sponge. All in all, a good game.
  57. Jul 11, 2017
    This game is definitely the best single-player FPS I've ever played. For a game that came out in 2004 the graphics are still AMAZING. I find it so incredible how the Source engine's graphics have seemt to rarely age. The gameplay and missions are terrific. From scaling roofs to making your way through the sand in a jeep, this games missions are great and keep you wanting more. My oneThis game is definitely the best single-player FPS I've ever played. For a game that came out in 2004 the graphics are still AMAZING. I find it so incredible how the Source engine's graphics have seemt to rarely age. The gameplay and missions are terrific. From scaling roofs to making your way through the sand in a jeep, this games missions are great and keep you wanting more. My one downside for this game is the ending, the cliff-hanger ending, although Valve has released Episode One and Two. So I guess it's not a cliff-hanger in a way. But still, a great, must play game for anyone looking for a great FPS story game. Expand
  58. Sep 23, 2010
    Half-Life 2 was a masterpiece for its time. High points of the game included gravity manipulation, the NPC companion (so far unsurpassed in the pure FPS genre) and the sense of scale. The source engine is still going strong though user mods never really seemed to live up to the creativity and diversity of original Half Life ones.
  59. Nov 5, 2010
    This was the game that got me into FPSs - although of course it's far more than that. Half-Life 2 was the first game in which I experienced 'real' physics. Completely absorbing from start to finish. Brilliant!
  60. Nov 11, 2010
    This game is awesome. it is one of the best FPS's of all time. with an amazing storyline, fun weapons, and the source engine, this game will hook you from the first chapter. i highly recomend this to any gamer.
  61. Dec 27, 2010
    Simply amazing...Seeing is believeing. I myslef had heard of half life through the grapevine but had never got around to playing it as I was formally on a console. Well since seeing the light and switching to the pc I started looking into epic pc titles and within the first few minutes of my internet search quickly saw how revered Valve's Half Life series was. I jumped right into Half LifeSimply amazing...Seeing is believeing. I myslef had heard of half life through the grapevine but had never got around to playing it as I was formally on a console. Well since seeing the light and switching to the pc I started looking into epic pc titles and within the first few minutes of my internet search quickly saw how revered Valve's Half Life series was. I jumped right into Half Life 2 for 10 bucks on Amazon and let me tell you it has changed my expectations of games completely. Even though the game is dated as of 2010, the well thought out game play coupled with the superb plot, facial animations, and voice acting goes to show that graphics is NOT the be all end all. If by chance you are reading this and have not played Half Life- please, treat yourself and give it 5 minutes-you won't look back. Expand
  62. Apr 5, 2011
    Very good work of suspense and terror, some pretty good graphics and a stunning physical (one of the best I've seen so far, and it's been 6 years).
    The visual effects are simple but effective and the story is impressive and full of adrenaline.
    The movements of the characters left me stunned, but I liked AI is pretty bad. The phases are not abundant (13 chapters approx.) but are very long.
    The movements of the characters left me stunned, but I liked AI is pretty bad.
    The phases are not abundant (13 chapters approx.) but are very long.
    Of course, guns are not abundant and there is nothing to be very effective.
    In short, one of the best FPS games I've seen in my life, but you will be under 1 point for the (very) bad IA.
  63. Jun 13, 2011
    Without a doubt the greatest video game of all time. People argue that older games like Mario, or Zelda are superior to it, but if given the choice of having to play a game 15+ years old or a game that was only released in the past few years, you'd pick the newer game.

Half Life 2 is packed with great graphics, puzzles, dialogue, weapons, and game-play. To not enjoy this game would be like punching Jesus in the face.

And you wouldn't want to punch Jesus in the face, would you?
  64. Aug 28, 2011
    Half-Life 2 feels overall quite polished. Yet I must say, I can't rate it higher than a 7/10. Some parts are simply too long (especially the vehicle-parts), while others come short. There is a good variety of weapons and though you will use each at least once, you want some maps in the end where you just can freely choose your favourite gun. You won't regret finishing the game, but somehowHalf-Life 2 feels overall quite polished. Yet I must say, I can't rate it higher than a 7/10. Some parts are simply too long (especially the vehicle-parts), while others come short. There is a good variety of weapons and though you will use each at least once, you want some maps in the end where you just can freely choose your favourite gun. You won't regret finishing the game, but somehow it feels like most of the choices you make, are already made by the developers for you. On the good side: The scripted events are placed perfectly and far better than in most later games I've played. And they make up for a good alternation. Expand
  65. Oct 18, 2011
    Absolutely the #1 Shooter of all time. There is nothing to compare it to because it is just that groundbreaking and original. Half Life 2 Possesses a level of game flow that few games even attempt. By far for the price of it there is no reason every gamer in the world should not own this game.
  66. Oct 30, 2011
    The best game ever made. The storytelling, gameplay, characters, action and soundtrack are all top notch. However, the awful teammate AI(They don't give you any space, constantly remind you to reload, and yell "Take cover!" and then get shot) and lackluster ending mean I can't give Half-Life 2 a perfect score.
  67. Dec 7, 2011
    Thinking of buying HL2? Please do - it's one of the best games ever made. The 4,293 other users and the 96/100 metacritic score justify my opinion. Definitely worth the purchase.
  68. Dec 9, 2011
    No doubt that this is the best game ever build. The lengthy single play game gives you everything you would expect from a shooter; great action scenes, a diversity of good weapons, horror scenes, a great physics engine and so on. This is a game that raised the bar and is up to today still very enjoyable to play.
  69. Dec 31, 2011
    I have finally got around to playing this game and completing the original which I started 11 years ago! Having played FPS that were released in 2009 and 2010 I am amazed with Halflife 2- the graphics are still great and the level design is spectacular. I enjoyed the zombie level so much that I just brought the left for dead games for 4 euros from steam. All the levels have their own veryI have finally got around to playing this game and completing the original which I started 11 years ago! Having played FPS that were released in 2009 and 2010 I am amazed with Halflife 2- the graphics are still great and the level design is spectacular. I enjoyed the zombie level so much that I just brought the left for dead games for 4 euros from steam. All the levels have their own very distinct character but somehow you move from one to the next seamlessly. The campaign has so much variety- you could be driving along the open coast next to the sea in one (with the sound of the sea in your ears if you get a quiet moment) or feeling oppressed and claustrophobic as the evil combine guard infiltrate the apartment blocks you're hiding in. Great game- still have not found any FPS since 2004 that surpasses it. Expand
  70. Feb 24, 2012
    Just such an amazing game. So unique and amazing. It's just so smart. It has such a think story line. It's not just a "shoot whatever you see" game. If you like action it has a lot of that but it is also very intellectual. NEVER WILL REGRET BUYING IT!!!!
  71. Mar 8, 2012
    Eagles Scream! This was one of the most thrilling games ever, Episode one and two are even better. Graphical wise this game is really neat. And the AI is sublime.
  72. Jul 18, 2012
    All I can say is: Wow. Never in a game have I seen such unique storytelling, unique artstyle, and unique gameplay. The gameplay is excellent. The physics engine Source and the gravity gun are extremely fun to play with, the level design is spot on, the puzzles are consistent yet refreshing, the vehicle sections are a blast, and the shooting mechanics are solid. There wasn't a moment whereAll I can say is: Wow. Never in a game have I seen such unique storytelling, unique artstyle, and unique gameplay. The gameplay is excellent. The physics engine Source and the gravity gun are extremely fun to play with, the level design is spot on, the puzzles are consistent yet refreshing, the vehicle sections are a blast, and the shooting mechanics are solid. There wasn't a moment where things seemed repetitive or bland. The story, all viewed by speechless Gordon Freeman, the protagonist, is great. It is about Gordon Freeman's escape in City 17 where civilians are captured by the Combine (alien empire-type baddies) and areas are scattered with Headcrab zombies. He has a great female companion named Alex Vance who accompanies you in the adventure. Overall the story is brilliantly executed and is pretty damn awesome. There isn't any multiplayer, but this is a SP experience, and it is one of the best of its kind. Get this game as soon as you can (lol its been 8 years) because I kid you not it is one of the best FPS games you will ever come across. Expand
  73. Sep 25, 2012
    The first Half Life was and remains one of my all time favorite games. It's so great to me that it defies explanation. The short of it is that Half Life 2 just tried to copy the first game, and it came across as a very cheap copy. The only improvements are in things that don't matter. Graphics and animations, guns, sounds, physics. If you're not wowed by those things, and I'm not,The first Half Life was and remains one of my all time favorite games. It's so great to me that it defies explanation. The short of it is that Half Life 2 just tried to copy the first game, and it came across as a very cheap copy. The only improvements are in things that don't matter. Graphics and animations, guns, sounds, physics. If you're not wowed by those things, and I'm not, Half Life 2 has very little to offer Expand
  74. Jan 30, 2013
    Uns dos melhores FPS ja feito, quase tudo nesse jogo e otimo personagens,inimigos,armas,ambientção,fisica e puzzle,sim eu sei que demorou quase 5 anos para se desenvolver half-life 2, mas com certeza a espera valeu a pena!
  75. Feb 12, 2013
    Excelente game, Half-Life pode ser considerado o melhor jogo que já existiu Gabe Newel pode ser considerado uma das mentes mais brilhantes que existiu a prova que gráficos não significa qualidade!
  76. Mar 7, 2013
    This game is the best FPS I've ever seen. No, absolutely not exaggerating. Even if one does not fire the story of the game from start to finish, the action in place, beats the feeling satiated. Valve until it's going to be the best.
  77. Apr 26, 2013
    The game was the best game of 2004. I even play this game now in 2013. The game runs surprisingly smooth on low end pc. The enemy AI doesn't let you just kill him. The friendly AI is just as good. The graphics are just beatifull. Once you reach the chapter ''Highway 17'' where the beach is, you will know what i meant with beatifull.
  78. Apr 27, 2013
    When you start to get the idea, it's a pretty easy game. But the sheer amount of adventure you're sent off on in even the first three chapters makes playing Half Life 2 worth it.
  79. May 1, 2013
    Yet another great Half-life game! Not as scary as the first one but it is still fun to play, with lots of actions, twists and characters that you get involved with. No doubt that this game will keep you entertained. Healthy variety of weapons with a great stories and well developed story, I recommend this to anyone!
  80. Jun 29, 2013
    Best game ever. Amazing story, awesome graphics (for its time), real physics, and very good gameplay. For anyone who plays shooters, this game is a must. I just played this game last week, 9 years after its release. Let me tell you, it's true how they say a masterpiece never ages.
  81. Jul 8, 2013
    The powerful source engine combined with the awesome graphics of this first person shooter makes a great experience, while AI can be bad at times, and some chapters like Root Kanal and Water Hazard can be drawn out and get really boring. The game is overall, a great game that has interesting characters that you actually care about. And for 2004 standards, that's not so bad.
  82. Jul 15, 2013
    Game is still fresh, and awesome and cross-platform.
    Best adventure game in which I played, the game is very specific.
    The story of a high standard.
  83. Oct 8, 2013
    unpredictable, long, satisfying a 10/10
    unpredictable, long, satisfying a 10/10
    ---- I agree that the formula been copied til hit exhaustion but no storyline delivered an experience like this and the tense atmosphere can be felt even when there's no music playing ,new enemies keep being introduced to the player til the end and the weapons are totally NOT OP so you will have to think of an strategy even if you have enough bullets to take out everyone because your HP will (almost aways) be on low
  84. Oct 22, 2013
    Ok i'm not a very big Fps Fan but this THIS is one of my Favorite gammmes evver. Its good ok. Good music and Graphics, Great story and AMAZINGGGG Gameplay. Nuff said.
  85. Oct 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The second game in the Half Life series is also the best game in the series. The game starts off by pitting you in City 17 around 20 years after the first game. After watching and experiencing the main enemies (The Combine) harshness, you spend the rest of your time demolishing them with the gravity gun. Well made, well designed, an all round perfect game. Expand
  86. Oct 31, 2013
    This is the only game that I've ever played that I would grant the honor of having a 10. I've played the campaign so often that I know every single trick, every single shortcut, every single hidden item, etcetera. Yet, it remains so intruiging and mindboggling as if it was the first time I started hl2.exe. The characters, settings, weapons and enemies are quite diverse but also feel soThis is the only game that I've ever played that I would grant the honor of having a 10. I've played the campaign so often that I know every single trick, every single shortcut, every single hidden item, etcetera. Yet, it remains so intruiging and mindboggling as if it was the first time I started hl2.exe. The characters, settings, weapons and enemies are quite diverse but also feel so perfectly connected throughout the game. Because of this I prefer it over the original Half Life, which did not differentiate as much between locations.

I hope we will hear about HL2:EP3/ HL3 soon. This is truly the only game I am looking forward to and I, unfortunately, cannot wait to end this epic series of games.
  87. Nov 8, 2013
    Supernatural, I have no other adjective to rate this game, sensational story, great gameplay, one of the greatest inspirations in current games and father of great games like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress
  88. Nov 27, 2013
    This game is a legend at the time of 2004, she produced a blast, and not only in graphics, ease of management, charismatic characters, cool music and interesting oruzhiem.Kompaniya in this game is incredibly diverse, it has car chases, shootouts, horror, atmosphere humor, scale, coop with bots and of course G-man, maybe now on the background of modern games and you will not experienceThis game is a legend at the time of 2004, she produced a blast, and not only in graphics, ease of management, charismatic characters, cool music and interesting oruzhiem.Kompaniya in this game is incredibly diverse, it has car chases, shootouts, horror, atmosphere humor, scale, coop with bots and of course G-man, maybe now on the background of modern games and you will not experience

Это 2004-года 2004-ом
  89. Dec 31, 2013
    The Game That Started it all for me, and got me On to steam. Love This game over and over again. I can play this game, but it is frustrating at moments, just when I think I cant pass a part I figure it out no problem.
  90. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half Life 2 is the best game ever!!! Even though multiplayer is not that popular, we really need to look at the story. I can't stop playing Half Life 2!!! So much mystery and Half Life 2 has the best gameplay. Half Life 2 has a really good weapon's sounds and you can kind of feel the weapon like it's in your hands. There are really great characters like Alyx, Barney and other people you meet, and there are some characters that you want to beat up like Dr. Breen and G-Man. Guns are awesome too. I can't believe that in the end of the game they also take your normal Gravity Gun and make it a Super Gravity Gun. And The only thing I might not really like is that you don't have a sniper rifle, but it's good that Valve at least put a crossbow in the game. I also like the physics. Source made this game awesome and the graphics are still better than some games we play today!!! Expand
  91. Jun 8, 2014
    This is my most favorite game ever, I just love it. It has an amazing gameplay, amazing story, I feel like I'm with them. I just love the feel of the desura-like civil control. Also, I recommend everyone to check out the Half-Life 2 beta content! Half-Life 2 beta (alpha) was incredible. The dark-evil like story, I just loved it. The industrial locations, this game has a deep background with it.
  92. Jun 22, 2014
    While I can't fathom to place this game higher than its predecessor, it still is an excellent game. The plot is strenghtened, the gameplay expanded and the new source engine? A marvel.
    We simply took what was good in the first game and increased its potential. I have stated Half-Life as the ancestor of FPSs; this is his rightful son.
    We now wish to have a sequel, but to maintain such a
    We now wish to have a sequel, but to maintain such a level of quality, the VALVe team sure must be stressed out.

I'm still impatient to know what VALVe has up its sleeve for us.
  93. Sep 2, 2014
    I saw on the internet all the hype and reviews that say that this game is the best game ever so i bought it
    it was soooo boring; lame puzzles story ehh average and the gameplay horrible so overrated
  94. Sep 2, 2014
    A truly great FPS, the story, environment and level design, the music atmosphere and set pieces; they all work so well and it pays off greatly for what is one of the best games ever made.
  95. Sep 12, 2014
    Half Life 2 is a stunning masterpiece. I played this game a long time ago on the orange box for the PS3. TBH it didn't stick back then. Years later I played the game on PC, after playing the first game, and I was shocked at how good it was.

First the game's physics is superb. It's a lot of fun to drop enemies and watch their death throes as you take them down. It's such a simple thing yet Valve does such an excellent job at it thanks to the physics of the game which few games out there will ever be able to come close to. That also brings me to the gravity gun. A weapon that will become your best friend upon receiving it. It can snatch and throw objects and can be used on the fly with a simple push of a button when using any other weapon making it a handy gun for breaking and moving obstacles or busting open the many supply crates in the game.

Now for the games story. The story is pretty straight forward. In the beginning of the game you show up at City 17, ruled over by Dr. Breen the former administrator to Black Mesa in the previous game. Dr. Breen is essentially a puppet for a transhuman race know as the Combine to ensure domination of the human race by the Combine who rule the human race with totalitarian brutality. The story's narrative is non-cinematic in nature yet it manages to tell the story with crisp clarity. Constant control over Freeman in each of the non-action story sequences deliver a great sense of immersion few games have.

In terms of gameplay the game does an excellent job at balancing great face-paced action and slower non-action sequences to give gamer a quick breather before pushing onwards in their epic journey. The gameplay sequences are also rather superb and varied. One moment you're on a dune buggy dodging antions, another you're trying to outrun and destroy a relentless chopper, in another sequence you're fighting zombies in a dark overrun town. The variety keeps the game unpredictable and fun, and with great gameplay freedom, along with a great arsenal of weapons, you bring down the house however you see fit.

The game moves at a great pace and its one of the few games that I'd play again just for the sheer experience of it. The superb narrative, graphics, gameplay freedom and physics make the game a true masterpiece that will stand proud among the best games the gaming industry has to offer. Few come close to the masterpiece that is Half Life 2. Long live Dr. Freeman!
  96. Jan 18, 2015
    I've played this game when it first came out in 2004, and now, after 10 years, I've decided to play it again. I remember, I loved this game back then, it had some awesome graphics which was well optimised as well, and loved the different uniqe parts (ie. driving a buggy, etc.). Now, the game is basically OK, but it has a lot of flaws. First, it happened to me a lot that I got stuck in someI've played this game when it first came out in 2004, and now, after 10 years, I've decided to play it again. I remember, I loved this game back then, it had some awesome graphics which was well optimised as well, and loved the different uniqe parts (ie. driving a buggy, etc.). Now, the game is basically OK, but it has a lot of flaws. First, it happened to me a lot that I got stuck in some terrain object/wall piece/etc., which is pretty frustrating in the middle of combat. The "helpers" are more like a pain in the @ss rather than helpful, they are always in the wrong place and one just can't move freely because of them (especially in the heat of a battle). But my biggest concern is the story: throughout the game, I didn't have a clue what is happening. It was always like "Run, Gordon!" "You have to go to place B!" and so on. And there are no cutscenes or other story telling points, only your companions, who tell you you have to do this and do that. It was just a big running, with lot of fights, but for what and why, it was not clear to me.

So it's still a good game which is worth playing, but I think it's just overhyped - there are lot of others which I played through more times and enjoyed more.
  97. Apr 12, 2015
    The definition of the modern FPS. The accurate physics, the smooth graphics, the intriguing story-line and this game its greatest aspect, the level design. My god... the level design! this game definitely is the pinnacle of level design. The only ones who come close to its level (pun intended) are games that almost solely focus on this aspect, such as puzzle games (looking at you, Portal).The definition of the modern FPS. The accurate physics, the smooth graphics, the intriguing story-line and this game its greatest aspect, the level design. My god... the level design! this game definitely is the pinnacle of level design. The only ones who come close to its level (pun intended) are games that almost solely focus on this aspect, such as puzzle games (looking at you, Portal). Speaking of puzzles, HL 2's few physics based puzzles are simple and effective at giving a brief relaxation after the intense skirmishes. Looking at the actual shooter aspect, HL 2 more than passes the grade. Aiming is done without much difficulty and you are presented with a new gun type after a while which keeps things a little more interesting. The only flaw I could find was that controlling the vehicles went somewhat awkward, but you can't blame a game as old as this for that. This game is a solid 10, it definitely is one of the best game I ever played. Expand
  98. May 19, 2015
    Pros:
    + incredible pacing/level design
    + well thought out world
    + solid controls
    Cons:
    - lack of soundtrack
    - lackluster story

Final score: 7/10, 3/5
  99. Sep 23, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Esre es mi juego favorito, totalmente perfecto en toda aspecto, historia, jugabilidad, hasta el diseño de los niveles, totalmente recomendable. Este juego me le pasado como una 10 veces y cada vez es mejor, gracias a dios que juegue este juego, es ORO! Expand
  100. Mar 13, 2017
    I am reviewing this game based on TODAY'S standards, and the date today is March 13, 2017. This is almost thirteen years from its release, and since those reading the reviews on here are likely those seeing if it is worth playing today, I will base it as if it came out today.
    Half Life 2 is a game that goes on, and on, and on...and on. It's extremely rare that a game does that while avoiding repetition. One game that comes to mind that did this successfully is Resident Evil 4. I'm afraid to say Half Life 2 is no Resident Evil 4. Half Life 2 struggles to keep itself interesting after the first chapter. The game begins in a train station, in an Orwellian type world with guards, and it is immersive realistic and atmospheric. It was the best start-off to a game I've ever played. But it went downhill fast. The guns are very standard and basic, most are very boring. And there's no variety. All the handguns feel the same, the machine guns are very basic and offer an alternate firing weapon (one a grenade and the other a ricocheting energy orb) and there's one shotgun. The big draw of the game for many was the Gravity Gun, which utilizes a revolutionary (at the time) physics engine. You can gravitate large barrels or pieces of wood or, well anything you can find really, no matter how heavy, and launch at your enemies. You will use it to solve puzzles. I would recommend looking at at YouTube video at this gun in action. But, no matter how cool a gun is, if the gameplay is boring, then everything else gets affected, no matter great or innovative.
    Half Life 2 is LONG, and thus variety should have been used to keep things interesting. Well, with little variety used, it isn't interesting. The story isn't interesting. The weapons aren't interesting. The combat is the most repetitive I've ever played, and it seems to never end. There are stages where you will ride a hover boat and a buggy car, but even those dragged on too long. I would have preferred Half Life 2 rely more on puzzles and story than its shooting, but Half Life 2 IS a shooter after all, first and foremost.
    The sound design is very precise. Atmospheric music will be cued at really mind-hitting times to really drive the immersion. It was quite well done, but I would have preferred to have had music all the way through out like in 007 Goldeneye. It would have helped the boringness of the game.
    All in all, this is an important game. It's a game everyone should play just to experience what was hailed at the time as a technological achievement. This game has and will remain in the video game history books as deeply significant, iconic, and necessary. Just don't expect to have a blast playing it in today's modern game world. While today's gaming isn't better, it does force classic games to show their age, and in this case it was bad.

3. Playboy