Half-Life 2 PC

9.1

1. Jun 28, 2015
    Half-Life 2
    The standard for first person shooters
    Hype can ruin your experience with a game. The higher the hype, the higher the expectations, and rarely does anything live up to it’s hype. Half-Life 2 however, does. Half- Life 2 is a near perfect first person shooter with star wars level of innovation. I didn’t really understand what was going on in the game and why it was going
    Half-Life 2
    The standard for first person shooters
    Hype can ruin your experience with a game.
    Half-Life 2 however, does.
    I didn’t really understand what was going on in the game and why it was going on.
    The story and its characters couldn’t keep my attention at all, everything pertaining to the story seemed so generic to me, luckily though the gameplay is good enough on its own to take you through the 10 plus hour journey.
    Half-Life 2 is a very linear game, but at the same time every section of the game feels connected, it feels open world… you hardly ever feel like you are bread crumbed to the finish.. When you find passages you feel like it was your work, when really the game cleverly got you there with its carefully constructed design.
    The pacing is nearly perfect
    you’re slowly hand fed new weapons..
    you’ll get to a point in the game where you’re introduced to a new weapon and then instantly have to use it for what its intended for, this is a perfect way to get you accustomed to and comfortable with everything at your disposal and prevent you from wasting unnecessary ammo.
    There wasn’t one weapon or item given that I wasn’t thankful for or that I didn’t find useful.
    This is great considering you’ll find yourself in some spots out of a particular set of ammo.
    The game play is also varied, so you’re not quite sure what to expect.
    Some games find a formula and stick to it.
    Half Life 2 doesn’t do this
    one minute you’re playing a stealth shooter, the next moment you’re playing call of duty style taking out troops, and 2 hours later you’re cruising through the world with vehicle based combat only to end up at a horror game style section
    This variation keeps the game from ever feeling like a grind, but at the same time the stress is kept at a near maximum.
    You won’t find too much challenge outside of the final few chapters, but the constant feeling of survival mode will definitely have you stepping away for a few hours or days.
    I now understand why everyone wants half-life 3 so bad.
    I loved climbing through every hole not knowing who or what would meet me on the other side.
    Half-Life 2 is a must play for gamers to experience the magic every developer has been chasing since 2004
    For what it is
    First person shooter – 9.5/10
    Overall: 9.5/10
  2. Oct 9, 2010
    This game is one of my all time favorites and I've been playing games for a while. I am not a big pro FPS player but I've always enjoyed them and this game was incredible and even playing it again for the 12th time this day it feels great and to this day not many games can come up to it's level.
  3. Dec 31, 2014
    Half Life 2 is a FPS type game being developed by Valve in 2004 after a development period of 5 years. Half Life 2 has sparked positive reactions, winning over 35 awards for Game of the Year in 2004. The action takes place 20 years after the Black Mesa incident (Half Life 1). The game begins with G-Man speaking to Gordon as in a dream, then finds his way to "City 17". The story staysHalf Life 2 is a FPS type game being developed by Valve in 2004 after a development period of 5 years. Half Life 2 has sparked positive reactions, winning over 35 awards for Game of the Year in 2004. The action takes place 20 years after the Black Mesa incident (Half Life 1). The game begins with G-Man speaking to Gordon as in a dream, then finds his way to "City 17". The story stays pretty well at the game. I could give more account details but so would give some spoilers, so better not. From a visual perspective stay perfect to game. Until 2004 we have not seen any games that have a facial mimics so well developed. Honestly I think is one better than some games in 2005-2006 +. In terms of graphics and are well established. The sound effects and music in the game is something I will not forget anytime soon. In my opinion the game is falling Must Play, maybe even a masterpiece. I honestly really did not expect to be so good one. Expand
  4. Dec 13, 2012
    Definitely one of the best FPS games ever. This game is what really started it all for Steam. It was a beautiful game back then and still stands the test of time today without any modding. It's packaged in a multitude of bundles and is on sale regularly so it's a real shame if you haven't played it within the past 8 years.
  5. Jun 10, 2015
    Even though i played it first 8 years after its initial release, i enjoyed the game thoroughly due to its beautiful marrying of story-telling and pacing. Sounds simple, but most games (almost all) miss this masterful harmony in their gameplay. Half-Life 2 does not let you rest until you finish it - always on the brink, always hurried on, always on the move, and always inside the story -Even though i played it first 8 years after its initial release, i enjoyed the game thoroughly due to its beautiful marrying of story-telling and pacing. Sounds simple, but most games (almost all) miss this masterful harmony in their gameplay. Half-Life 2 does not let you rest until you finish it - always on the brink, always hurried on, always on the move, and always inside the story - i as a player loved the experience. Expand
  6. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    Graphics are stunning and the storyline keeps being as interesting as a well-written tv series. I personally got bored very soon by the hovercraft levels but that's just one subjective flaw among innumerable actual merits.
  7. Jan 1, 2014
    Absolutely, unquestionably one of the greatest games to hit the surface of our fair planet. Still, to this day amazing. I have lost count of the amount of times I have played through this game. The elegance of the leve design is unbelievable. introduce a concept.... let you use it.... then challenge you with it and make you feel really clever for working it out. Stunning story.
  8. Feb 2, 2016
    Although Gordon Freeman is still a quiet guy, Half-Life 2 is an unforgettable title to say out loud when someone wants to know about the best game of 2004, or maybe, of all time.
  9. Apr 1, 2012
    Half Life 2 is FPS perfection. Nothing gets better than this. For a game of 2004 the graphics are astounding. The interaction in-game characters have with you and facial movement is remarkable. The shooting is back and better than ever. Now less repetitive, longer, better and sexier.
  10. Jan 9, 2013
    I'm so going to be hated to death, but I didn't love this game as many others tend to do, even though it's actually very good game for itself and even 8-9 years later it's still fresh to play and doesn't look aged at all. But despite all that, I definitely enjoyed Half Life 2 less than the previous chapter. I wil also say that I started with this chapter and then bought the previous game.I'm so going to be hated to death, but I didn't love this game as many others tend to do, even though it's actually very good game for itself and even 8-9 years later it's still fresh to play and doesn't look aged at all. But despite all that, I definitely enjoyed Half Life 2 less than the previous chapter. I wil also say that I started with this chapter and then bought the previous game. First of all, I did like how the game, like I said, is still fresh: the graphics are surprisingly great and the engine is extremely good, and once you get the gravity gun you can exploit the physics of the game at its best. The characters are, for the most part, very remarkable and likeable to interact with, so nothing wrong here, except that maybe some characters disappear and reapper from the plot and will eventually confuse some people (or not). The game is also very balanced in the combats, with a good variety of weapons, a great variety of (very smart) enemies and with also many different situations to play. Infact, the best word to descrive this game, is "variety": you'll have a lot of situations in the game and they all are surprisingly fun to play and hardly bore you (like the boat section and ravenholm, where you will exploit the gravity gun). The story is...interesting...but I tend to get confused at times and I don't remember really much. And here comes some flaws in my opinion; while the story is good and well written, the game somehow seems very padded because, with some exceptions, the sections seem like a bunch of different parts glued all together! This isn't a big deal but, because of these sections that look like different parts completely, the story might get confusing, because (like I said) characters might appear and disappear all of the sudden and the story seems to get a halt for a pair of hours (the biggest example to me was the teleporter sceme: it seemed like an excuse to insert another part of the game). While I liked the first game because there wasn't much to understand, but only much to discover, in here it felt like I needed too much to understand, with nothing to discover at all. Also, this is kinda personal, I never got the links between the first game and this one (one big reason why I HAD to buy the first), but after finishing that game I still don't know what happened here after the events of the first (especially since that the ending of the first game didn't look like it had anything to do with the start of this. Except the presence of G-man). Maybe I'm just dumb, so I might be totally wrong on complaining this much. Moving to the combat: while I hated a bit the first game for the unbalance between the enemies (entire magazines to dispatch a few soldiers, while few shots would take down big aliens), this game actually fixes a lot of issues, especially with very well balanced weapons and with enemies that, for what I saw, have weakpoints (a head shots seem to do more damage here). My biggest complain here, is that the weapons aren't that many, even if there's the gravity gun. Quality over quantity is always the rule, however we could have used more variety of guns, or have a better thought for using them. For example, one of the rifles is rather bad because of the small magazines, and both of the rifles' secondary fire is very limited due to the lack of proper ammo; the magnum is great, but I hardly found that many ammo to use it so often; the grenades must be choose apart, while it should have been a button instead, or at least a faster way to choose it. And few weapons won't be used at all after certain parts, like the pheromone bomb. And while the gravity gun is a great invention, I found it very limited at times and, to be honest, I used it only on one section (Ravenholm), and NEVER used it again, because there was almost no other reason to use it afterwards and, strangely, only a very limited amount of weapons could be used. On the other hand, when it gets powered, things change completely. Just too bad it's for a brief time. All in all, I liked this game, but I honestly expected much more: while the first one had flaws and could use some more story and more balance, in here the situations don't always match the story properly, resulting in some unnecessary padding at times, and while it was very innovative for its time (and still kinda is), right now we also have games that took from the innovation that this game made and actually evolved it. Probably I'm just not a fan of this game and opinions will be varied, but it's still a good game to play and there's nothing exactly wrong with it. However, if people can't go past the "oldness" of this game, probably it's better to step away. Or else, give it a try and see for yourself. Expand
  11. Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing follow up to a great game. Amazing physics and graphics at the time as well as an enthralling story make this a must for any PC gamer looking for a quality SP experience.
  12. Sep 26, 2011
    Half Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other scienceHalf Life 2 has obtained legendary status as one of the most flawless modern games BUT the question does need to be asked: is Half Life 2 over-rated? My answer is Yes as all things are flawed (even Half Life 2), that's not saying the game is not one of the best the industry has provided in recent times, it is however just an interactive game with a lot of copied elements of other science fiction, it's not as original as many claim. Half Life 2 has awesome graphics, innovative physics, game play, fabulously designed levels and game moments but my point is that it shows how lacking and unoriginal the rest of the industry is - that many would claim Half Life 2 to be better than it actually is. If Half Life 2 is the best there is in single player gaming - then video games truely are lacking... HL2 is still a real achievement and Valve has something to be proud of. Expand
  13. Mar 22, 2013
    A first-person shooter with incredible storytelling, a groundbreaking technical achievement, plenty of atmosphere and intensity. Nothing less than revolutionary.
  14. Dec 19, 2012
    A very diffrent type of style for a FPS then any other FPS game I have ever played. Its a interesting FPS with a little puzzle to it. Very good story and fun missions. Half-Life 2 9.6/10
  15. May 18, 2011
    In times where it's rare that a sequel is better than the original. Half-Life 2 pulls off that feat with ease--well ahead of its time. Put this on your bucket list if you've never played it.
  16. Nov 7, 2016
    Сегодня (7.11.16.) впервые прошёл данную игру.
    Услышал я про неё впервые ещё лет 8 назад, играл в демку, да и забил. Но вдруг решил пройти классику.
    Ниже мнение человека, который не проходил игру в 2004, 2005... а только в 2016, в конце 2016. Я не ньюфаг, прошёл игру с удовольствием, местами было скучновато, местами очень весело и эпично. -Геймплей тут вполне стандартный. Он неплох, но
    Сегодня (7.11.16.) впервые прошёл данную игру.
    -Геймплей тут вполне стандартный. Он неплох, но местами, а точнее ближе к концу, он становится довольно скучноват. До середины игры дают покататься на 2-х транспортных средствах- багги и лодка на воздушной подушке, довольно неплохое разнообразие игрового процесса. Плавно перейдём к физике. Физика шикарна до сих пор, а в 2004 просто взрыв мозга... , но порой она выдаёт такие нелепости или странности, что немного не по себе. вообщем за геймплей 7,5-8/10
    -Сюжет довольно интересный. Диалоги было интересно слушать, а финал так и вообще очень крутой вышел. А лицевая анимация просто шик, тоже до сих пор смотрится улётно, а в 2004... За сюжет 8/10.
    -Атмосфера и музыка. Атмосфера тут бывает настолько разная, что диву даёшься. То это налёт хоррора, повсюду какие-то хлюпания, шорохи, темнота. То это атмосфера одиночества, едешь по дороге на той же машине, а на ней никого, вокруг только горы и океан. Ну и атмосфера пост-апокалипсиса. Музыка хороша, порой задаёт тонус вести дальнейшую битву, она довольно динамична, местами просто расслабляет. 9/10 за атмосферу и музыку.
    Вообщем на данный момент игра всё ещё ОЧЕНЬ хороша, если вы не играли в неё и вы не ньюфаг, не презираете старые игры, а любите их, то я настоятельно рекомендую данную игру, кто знает, может она станет одной из ваших любимых!
    2004- 9-9,5/10
    2016- 8/10
  17. Jan 31, 2017
    Half Life 2 la continuación de aquel legendario FPS creado por Valve es todo lo que se podría creer de el, un juego que evoluciona todo lo que hay que evolucionar, gráficos, música, historia, armas, IA, terror, acción, todo. Un juego espectacular que fue expandido con 3 entregas posteriores, mientras después de mas de 13 años aun esperamos Half Life 3. Perfecto
  18. Nov 3, 2013
    One word: AMAZING. Improving upon the original while keeping the atmosphere and feel of the game the same, albeit with upgraded visuals and effects of course. Love it. Definitely one of my favorites.
  19. Dec 1, 2011
    Took me a few years to get a "wake up call" and to properly get into this game. When HL2 first came out I wasn't so keen on it. Now that having played through it again, as well as both of the episodes, I really came to appreciate how decent the game is, even compared to the games coming out nowadays. HL2 is not just an FPS game. It might seem like so at first, but there is a whole newTook me a few years to get a "wake up call" and to properly get into this game. When HL2 first came out I wasn't so keen on it. Now that having played through it again, as well as both of the episodes, I really came to appreciate how decent the game is, even compared to the games coming out nowadays. HL2 is not just an FPS game. It might seem like so at first, but there is a whole new level of depth to the gaming experience when it comes to this game. HL2 puts the player in all sorts of varying environments and against all sorts of enemies, each time changing the situation, so that you're never bored. The game is very dynamic. It keeps you surprised, changing the challenge all the time. On top of that it is very rewarding, as games should be. If you spend some time to explore for example, you find good items. The weapons are very enjoyable to use in combat, and some are even pretty unique. The Gravity Gun for example is very diverse in its applications and can be easily used for most of the combat situations in the game. The rocket launcher gives a whole new meaning to the term "homing" as you navigate the missile at your enemies with a laser sight. Every weapon is fantastic, whether it's an awesome sniper crossbow, or bugbait used to attract antlion creatures to attack the enemy. The storyline continues from the first game, except takes place a few years after. Gordon Freeman (the playable character) now finds himself in a dystopic society, where alien civilisation by the name of Combine is ruling over the humans on Earth. The story of HL2 manages to show tyranny and oppression really well. The story still leaves some loose ends, which opened up an opportunity for the sequels. Half Life 2 is generally an all round great game with no outstanding flaws whatsoever (although I felt that earlier parts of the game weren't as good as the latter parts). Great story, fun gameplay, beautiful visuals, nice soundtrack, and very lifelike NPCs (they act just like real people!). Expand
  20. Mar 16, 2013
    This is a darn near perfect game. A bit gruesome for my tastes but very well written and genuinely gripping. At times I find my self truly startled by the game. The combat mechanics are stellar. The puzzles take thought but are not overly difficult to figure out. The animated scenes that play the role of the "cut scene" are not true cut scenes as you stay 100% involved and able to actThis is a darn near perfect game. A bit gruesome for my tastes but very well written and genuinely gripping. At times I find my self truly startled by the game. The combat mechanics are stellar. The puzzles take thought but are not overly difficult to figure out. The animated scenes that play the role of the "cut scene" are not true cut scenes as you stay 100% involved and able to act as the NPCs talk to you and the story plays out. The only real downside is the lack of a voice for Gordon Freeman the silent protagonist AGAIN but that is pretty minor. The graphics turned up to max look incredible given the 2004 release date and run very smoothly. Check points are liberal enough to not have to curse yourself and replay something difficult if you blow it. Valve has an incredible IP and I only hope that eventually there will be a half-life 3. Expand
  21. CRL
    Jul 24, 2011
    Easily one of my favorite games of all time; Half Life 2 incorporates everything it possibly can into an FPS. There are vehicle chases, (mostly) intelligent AI, and a storyline better than some books. Technologyically, the 2004 graphics still feel fine compared to newer games, and that age means that it won't lag on almost any system. A classic all around.
  22. Nov 19, 2016
    Simplicity and clarity, that's what make this game great. Wasn't too scary but story-line and characters (including the one you play and says nothing) are very likable, well written and memorable. There is a balance between shooting and plot building. I especially liked the last chapter.
  23. Dec 13, 2012
    This is an excellent shooter with a good storyline, characters, and environment. The game starts out a bit slow, but it does a good job of pacing and building up to the big action. The physics in the game are fun and make for some interesting possibilities which were impressive when it was released. The episodes do a good job of building on the story and offering some improvements withoutThis is an excellent shooter with a good storyline, characters, and environment. The game starts out a bit slow, but it does a good job of pacing and building up to the big action. The physics in the game are fun and make for some interesting possibilities which were impressive when it was released. The episodes do a good job of building on the story and offering some improvements without changing what makes the game good. Personally I found it very refreshing to have a female character/sidekick with an actual personality and skills, rather than someone who was just there to be a tough dude with boobs. Expand
  24. Nov 3, 2013
    Half-Life 2 is one of the best FPS games, but i just liked HL1 (Half-Life 1) much more. I really miss Xen in HL 2, i know its because of story, but i really hoped on revisiting that weird dimension. I think that original half-life had more enemy types and more interesting weapons. On the other hand, the story and characters are some of the best. The only reason i do not give it 10 isHalf-Life 2 is one of the best FPS games, but i just liked HL1 (Half-Life 1) much more. I really miss Xen in HL 2, i know its because of story, but i really hoped on revisiting that weird dimension. I think that original half-life had more enemy types and more interesting weapons. On the other hand, the story and characters are some of the best. The only reason i do not give it 10 is because of parts where you drive vehicle (some of the worst driving experience i ever seen). Expand
  25. DME
    Jun 10, 2012
    Half-Life 2 was one of the greatest games I have ever played. It's very diverse, immersing, interesting, and just plain fun. One of the coolest things about it was the way you could manipulate the environment in crazy ways to complete your tasks. Unfortunately, the game has one drawback. It has an appalling ending. But, everything leading up to the ending is such a blast, it's forgivable.
  26. Dec 25, 2013
    Half-Life 2......it doesn't do a whole lot differently than other games in the shooter genre in terms of pure gameplay innovation, but it takes existing styles, then mixes, matches and makes them better. Another triumph.
  27. Sep 5, 2012
    Outdoing the original Half-Life is no easy task, but I am happy to report that Valve has succeeded in exactly that. Half-Life 2 is a breathtaking FPS that will have you on the edge of your PC chair from start to finish. Story: (10) Just as good as the first, Gordon is one of the best characters of a game. There are even a few unexpected twists and parts that are actually scary. Graphics:Outdoing the original Half-Life is no easy task, but I am happy to report that Valve has succeeded in exactly that. Half-Life 2 is a breathtaking FPS that will have you on the edge of your PC chair from start to finish. Story: (10) Just as good as the first, Gordon is one of the best characters of a game. There are even a few unexpected twists and parts that are actually scary. Graphics: (10) Some of the best available when released, this game looks awesome on full settings and still respectable today. Sound: (10) Best of the best sound effects and background music. The soundtrack is definitely worth checking out. Gameplay: (9) Just as good as the first, if not better. There are several challenging areas and some of the boss fights are epic. The shooting feels more accurate and I must say the AI in this game is incredible. Endgame: (8) It is fun to go through again on harder difficulties but I would have loved to see some sort of multi-player support besides deathmatch. Overall if you are a PC gamer you CANNOT pass this game up. Just the story alone is enough to keep you going and the suspense builds at every corner. Still to this day the graphics hold up really nice and the source engine is smooth and a blast to play. Overall: 9 Expand
  28. Sep 2, 2014
    Isn't it sad that this 10 year old game looks a lot better than most games that have came out in the past few months?
    Also-HL3 CONFIRMED
    Also-GORDON FREEMAN
  29. Nov 1, 2015
    When half life 2 came out (2004) i wasnt into video games , in 2014 i wanted to see why all the people talked so much about this game so i played and they where right, this game is amazing and also i understand that even today a lot of games that came after steal/borrow a lot of things from this game.
  30. Jun 19, 2011
    I don't give 10 out of 10 lightly. This game deserves it and more. The most impressive thing about it is how it weaves gameplay and story seamlessly. The atmosphere is incredible and the graphics are effective even years later. The controls work perfectly and I cannot honestly remember a single bug that occurred in any of my playthroughs. The episodes that came after only increased howI don't give 10 out of 10 lightly. This game deserves it and more. The most impressive thing about it is how it weaves gameplay and story seamlessly. The atmosphere is incredible and the graphics are effective even years later. The controls work perfectly and I cannot honestly remember a single bug that occurred in any of my playthroughs. The episodes that came after only increased how awesome Half Life 2 is. If you haven't played this game, for the love of all that is good and holy play it as soon as you can! Expand

3. Playboy