Half-Life 2 PC

9.2

1. Oct 14, 2014
    im just want to play this game again, again, and again. cause this game is **** amazing in gameplay, graphics and in weapons!!! most i like in here is a Gravity gun!!! the best guns ever!!!!
  2. Oct 17, 2014
    I now understand why people want half life 3. If you haven't played this game you really need to because it goes on sale so much on steam and it usually comes with a bundle for episode 1, 2, and lost coast.
  3. Oct 18, 2014
    It is a valve game what do you expect? tight graphics for its age (I thought it was made in 2012 they were so good) it also has a great physics engine which is still better than any physics engine made to this day. awesome story, awesome characters, awesome voice acting and awesome secrets. I just urge them to make half life3
  4. Oct 27, 2014
    I know I am treading well-worn ground, here, but Half Life 2 is one of the few games I’ve played that has lived up to the hype surrounding it. I felt like I had to tip my hat, because it is perfect in every appreciable way.

Even though HL2 is a decade old, I only recently got around to playing it thanks to a Steam sale. Absolutely fantastic. I love everything about this game. Still looks gorgeous, not at all dated like the first Half Life game. Voice acting is spot-on. Mechanics are good. Nice selection of weapons without having TOO many. Gravity gun is a blast. Music is used very well: long stretches of silence with appropriately creepy or intense electronic tunes depending on what’s happening.

What pushes this over the top for me, though, is the story. It was barely there in Half Life 1. You still have no idea what’s happening in HL2 but you discover bits & pieces as you play. At one of the resistance HQs, for example, there is a bulletin board full of newspaper clippings about the alien invasion which took place while Gordon was…elsewhere. It’s a nice payoff which helps everything else happening in the game make sense. Aside from that, you may only hear certain plot points once or twice from NPC banter. Even if the banter doesn’t contain any story information, though, it’s all scripted well and fun to listen to.

HL2 also appeals to gamers who only play shooters for the pew pew and don’t care about story. The maps may be linear (which I don’t mind in a shooter) but you have a lot of freedom and fun ways to go about solving them. There is also a nice mix of gameplay elements which keep things fresh, from turret defense moments (literally) to vehicle driving. You’re not always marching through hallways so it’s very difficult to get bored.

The only complaint I have is that there’s no Half Life 3! Of course, I’d rather have an excellent series which rarely releases games than a series that releases a title every year and beats everything we liked about it into the ground until we can’t stand it any longer (*cough*Assassin’s Creed*ahem*). Half Life 2 is one of those amazing gems that is still as good today as it was on the day it was released. Definitely a game which everyone who considers themselves a gamer should play.
  5. AnonymousMC
    Aug 4, 2003
    This game will be outstanding at all acspects the gameplay is awesome and in a movie of it there is a dune buggy you can drive around with a lazer gun atatched to it valve has reallyoutdone there swelfs and im shure that this game will own any game soming out and will get the most buys nice job vavle!
  6. AnonymousMC
    Aug 29, 2004
    I try the demo of HL 2 and it was just to much like i never saw before, the graphic, the sound, it will be the game of the year, maybe the game of all time, but you will need a powerfull PC, video card and CPU to run this games
  7. AnonymousMC
    Sep 14, 2004
    It's great It's brilliant It reacts to everything that you do It's the best FPS ever made It's got such good graphics that I have had to upgrade my graphics card to a ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb DDR with 8xAGP! If you want to buy any game it should be this one NO MATTER WHAT YOU SHOULD BUY THIS GAME! YOUR HAPPINESS DEPENDS ON IT!
  8. AnonymousMC
    Oct 16, 2004
    i live ij the uk and there is a mag called pcgamer and they have got hold of a full copy of the game and they gave it 96%, there highest review score evr. half-life2 sounds amazing. Its not my kind of thing but with that review even i would buy it.
    they say it will be released late november.
    Not long to go now then
  9. AnonymousMC
    Oct 13, 2004
    Hey Mr. Gaming Editor, by the way I HAVE played HL2, or at least CS Source! Available on STEAM now you can get HL2, which comes with CS Source(exactly the same as regular counterstrike gameplay wise, but looks sooooo much better its a different game). I have paid $60 for the silver edition which includes CS Source, HL2, DOD Source, and HL1 Source. I can already say that the $60 is worth CSHey Mr. Gaming Editor, by the way I HAVE played HL2, or at least CS Source! Available on STEAM now you can get HL2, which comes with CS Source(exactly the same as regular counterstrike gameplay wise, but looks sooooo much better its a different game). I have paid $60 for the silver edition which includes CS Source, HL2, DOD Source, and HL1 Source. I can already say that the $60 is worth CS source alone. every item can be interacted with realistically. you can bust up computers in the office map and see the parts spill out. the best thing is that bullet holes stay there, dont just dissapear. the game looks sooo much nicer. then there is gonna be HL1 Source, the remake of the best game ever made. If you've played HL think that with the HL2 graphics and physics. thats saying ALOT. Then DOD source. Although this is only in early development and wont be out for some time, the idea of all the DOD maps redone just make chills go down my spine. dod_forest actually looking like a real forest? yes, its true.
    Oh yeah.......then there is HL2 itself. Im not gonna get into this but if you dont know about it take a look at the website and see why its the most anticipated game of all time. the fact that those 4 games are only $60 total is the most insane thing and i hereby declare HL2 the BEST GAME EVER with THE BEST VALUE TOO.
  10. AnonymousMC
    Oct 31, 2004
    6 years in development, this sequel to the game that won over 50 game of the year awards is the greatest game to ever bless you computer. It's graphics make Doom 3, Halo 2, and Far Cry look like Pacman, and its overall story beats the sh#t out of everything else. It simply is the GREATEST GAME EVER, SO F*CKING DEAL WITH IT, B#ITCHES!!!! :D
  11. AnonymousMC
    Nov 27, 2004
    I tallied up your average for HL2; it comes to 96.75. So shouldn't it be rounded up to 97 and declared best PC game of all time? bite that Carmark. =) (you can edit that last bit out if you REALLY want Mr.Editor but you know it's true ;)
  12. AnonymousMC
    Nov 20, 2004
    First off, i would like to say Rehn H is a complete idiot. Second, this game just rocks the world, physics, graphics, storyline, immersion are incredible. Just un-freakin believable. People who give this game below an 8.5 (due to lack of being able to kill teammates, some geometry problems, and ease of gameplay) just dont know what the hell they are talking about. I beat the game threeFirst off, i would like to say Rehn H is a complete idiot. Second, this game just rocks the world, physics, graphics, storyline, immersion are incredible. Just un-freakin believable. People who give this game below an 8.5 (due to lack of being able to kill teammates, some geometry problems, and ease of gameplay) just dont know what the hell they are talking about. I beat the game three days after it came out on my vacation days, i almost played nonstop. The time it takes to beat this masterpiece will astound you. 10/10 for this one, best pc game, best fps, all around best game of the year. Expand
  13. AnonymousMC
    Nov 20, 2004
    This game has better graphics than Halo 2. Well, considering the XBOX is 3 years old what does everyone expect? I can't wait to see what all the pc fanboys say next November when XBOX 2 comes out and has hardware 5 times as powerful as what you run Half Life 2 on, makinG it look like PS1. Other than the graphics and different physics, this game is no better than anything else on theThis game has better graphics than Halo 2. Well, considering the XBOX is 3 years old what does everyone expect? I can't wait to see what all the pc fanboys say next November when XBOX 2 comes out and has hardware 5 times as powerful as what you run Half Life 2 on, makinG it look like PS1. Other than the graphics and different physics, this game is no better than anything else on the market. Definately not as good as Halo 2 was overall. And it's on 3 year old hardware. I think I'm gonna laugh.....LOL...... Expand
  14. AnonymousMC
    Nov 13, 2004
    Its not out yet. But looks like its going to be amazing. Mainly I just gave it a 10 to all the fanboys who are pissed and know its gonna dominate over "put fanboy game title here such as Halo 2". Not to say Halo sucks, but games get props where welcome. If the game is that good and people who play find it better because of how it plays and not just the name, then so be it.
  15. AnonymousMC
    Dec 23, 2004
    I played Half-Life the original when it first came out. So I do know what i'm talking about. Half-Life 2 is a revolution, just as good as an advancement in the gaming world as the first. Get it, all the other user's who rate it low are people who just played cs on the original, never the game. Hl2, deathmatch and single player, are utterly amazing.
  16. AnonymousMC
    Oct 6, 2005
    I love this game - It's got a great atmosphere! I love how even my-non gamer friends watch the opening scenes in silence, drawn into the story.
    It's just a pity that STEAM sucks **so much** The AI didn't bug me to be honest, but, good lord - Steam? why.. why would they do that to us?! 2 days it took me the first time, nowadays a freakin' hour to install... This kind of drawback is UNACCEPTABLE - game developers take note - we won't pay for products with this kind of drawback unless the game itself is REALLY good! It just shows how good the actual *game* part of HL2 really is.
  17. AnonymousMC
    Nov 28, 2005
    Even a year after release, no other game has attempted to use physics in such an integral and ingenious way. It excels in every area. It did seem short to me however. Which leads to my complaint.
    The reason for a 9 score is that I really wanted TFC2, just as much as the single-player part. It should've shipped with HL2 instead of CS:S, which I couldn't care less about. I spent more time playing TFC back in the day than any game before or since. Making the sequel a standalone product is unwise, IMO. Valve's generosity has declined over the years it seems.
  18. AnonymousMC
    Mar 26, 2006
    i gave it a ten, this is my opinion (i'm not just saying it to follow the crowd). I look beyond the fact that steam screwed most of you into giving it a 0, this game had alot of outstanding realism and a great puzzle style of game play but i guess that some of you may be a little to ignorant or dumb to actually spend time playing a game you cant beat in an hour. it deserves a ten andi gave it a ten, this is my opinion (i'm not just saying it to follow the crowd). I look beyond the fact that steam screwed most of you into giving it a 0, this game had alot of outstanding realism and a great puzzle style of game play but i guess that some of you may be a little to ignorant or dumb to actually spend time playing a game you cant beat in an hour. it deserves a ten and you know it so quit acting like its not that great just because it wont work on your PC Expand
  19. AnonymousMC
    Mar 27, 2006
    This is the absolute best game ever created. Even if the graphics are slightly dated by now, the game is beautiful. The story is awesome, the sound is incredible in the gameplay is just amazing. Anyone who owns a PC that can play HL2 has to buy this game, I will Chuck Norris karate kick you if you don't. Peace out nuks.
  20. AnonymousMC
    Apr 8, 2006
    Half Life 2 is a great game, for the people who think that Steam is "bs", it's a very good thing as long as it works. I wouldn't give the game a 0 because Steam didn't install at first, but you would have given the game itself a 10...

There are so many modifications for Half Life 2 popping up, most of them are free too! This game should be owned by every Half-Life fan in my oppinion.

There are many many games where you have to wait a long time for things to load, but it's your computer that makes it so slow. Just get an upgrade as you probably need one to experience the game in its full beauty.
  21. AnonymousMC
    Apr 8, 2006
    I will agree with some of the critics of HL2 that it doesn't break a ton of new ground in terms of gameplay. Honestly, though, that's really kind of a side issue because the game is so immersive, that it makes up for any and all other shortcomings. It simply has one of the most compelling and immersive storylines that I've ever seen in a video game. It puts most modernI will agree with some of the critics of HL2 that it doesn't break a ton of new ground in terms of gameplay. Honestly, though, that's really kind of a side issue because the game is so immersive, that it makes up for any and all other shortcomings. It simply has one of the most compelling and immersive storylines that I've ever seen in a video game. It puts most modern Hollywood movies to shame really; it's a video game epic. Expand
  22. AnonymousMC
    Apr 8, 2006
    Excellent, a very great game, love the graphics, the physics, gameplay, and you dont even need a really good game to play it... (I.E Far cry and doom3). I didnt like steam at first, but after a year, it kinda grows on you, you just gotta deal with it, because it looks like thats how games will be distributed in the future... anyhow, great game, cant wait for the expansion (theExcellent, a very great game, love the graphics, the physics, gameplay, and you dont even need a really good game to play it... (I.E Far cry and doom3). I didnt like steam at first, but after a year, it kinda grows on you, you just gotta deal with it, because it looks like thats how games will be distributed in the future... anyhow, great game, cant wait for the expansion (the counter-strike source added to it is very nice as well, spend many hours on that) I rate it a 10 on 10! Expand
  23. AnonymousMC
    Apr 23, 2006
    Quit Hyping up how great Far Cry is over Half Life 2. I bought Far Cry because a friend told me how awesome it was. The highest graphics settings on Far Cry slow my Pc Down but the graphics on Half Life 2 Do not. The cutscenes for Far Cry are short and choppy and the character acting is bad, they do not model how humans really move when they talk (Half Life 2 does and everyone knowsQuit Hyping up how great Far Cry is over Half Life 2. I bought Far Cry because a friend told me how awesome it was. The highest graphics settings on Far Cry slow my Pc Down but the graphics on Half Life 2 Do not. The cutscenes for Far Cry are short and choppy and the character acting is bad, they do not model how humans really move when they talk (Half Life 2 does and everyone knows it). Far cry would make even Carlos Mencia say "Nuh na NUuuuUuUh !!!" The game play sucks so badly that i wonder why i even bought the game. You are supposed to be able to sneak through the jungle and silently kill opponents. Um so why don't I have a silencer and as far as i know there is no meelee button. Also, why am I such a pansy in Far Cry that i can not even fire my weapon when i am on the surface of the water? If you want a real jungle sneeking game with great story, buy a playstation 2 and get Metal Gear Sold 3. People are also talking about how Half Life 2 is repeatable through certain sections if you play them over and over. My friend died three times at that massive turret on that part where you are taking the airboat to Eli's and you have to explode the barrels to knock open a gate. Each time he played the section against that combine soldier, the soldier ended up in three different places when my friend crouched behind tha cart and slowly pushed it toward him. On another part when you are escaping the combine in the train tunnels my friend looked down the hallway and saw a combine soldier next to an exploding barrel that was knocked over. He went to the wall to get some health and when he went back to go kill the soldier, we saw him pushing an exploding barrel down the hall towards him. Now i haven't played doom 3 or quake but what other AI does this? What about the Zombies who through barrels and crates at you? I didn't expect that.

Bottom line is that Half Life 2 has great graphics without compromising performance and all you people need to get off of your Far Cry trip.
  24. AnonymousMC
    May 8, 2006
    People, you are not reviewing steam, you are reviewing half-life 2 so don't include what you think of steam in your reviews. Remember steam is just a delivery method to the goodness of HL2. There are people below who are trying to be witty about how poor they think this game is yet they haven't even reviewed the game probably in terms of the overall package you get along with thePeople, you are not reviewing steam, you are reviewing half-life 2 so don't include what you think of steam in your reviews. Remember steam is just a delivery method to the goodness of HL2. There are people below who are trying to be witty about how poor they think this game is yet they haven't even reviewed the game probably in terms of the overall package you get along with the amazing graphics (which by the way are better than doom 3 as doom 3 is just mainly played in dark rooms which are much easier to render and create!), plot, character animation (not beaten to date) and cleaver AI which responds to any situation (yes the team AI could have been done better but its a single first person shooter, not a team playing game!!!). If you haven't played this game all the way through then your missing out. The plot is mysterious but that is keeping within the tradition of half life. It makes you want to find out more and more about the overall plot of the game and spurs you on throughout. This game really does deserve the unbeatable amount of game of the year awards it has won over the past few years and the highly rated opinions of the industry's top gaming experts! Buy this game and you won't be disappointed when you get it working! Expand
  25. AnonymousMC
    May 17, 2006
    Oh my goodness! half life 2 is THE most fun i have ever had in a game . the physics are fantastic and are fun to play with. the storyline is scary and graphics go along way in expressing the feel of the game . THIS IS THE BEST GAME
  26. AnonymousMC
    May 18, 2006
    It's a great game if you have the right stuff. I'm really not sure why everyone is comparing this to Far-Cry thousands of times, I have viewed textures, graphics and such: overall, if you can run Half-Life 2 without what probably 50% of the lower rated poster's computers are, preferably horrible 4200 Dells, Half-Life 2 is immense and the graphics are well made and justIt's a great game if you have the right stuff. I'm really not sure why everyone is comparing this to Far-Cry thousands of times, I have viewed textures, graphics and such: overall, if you can run Half-Life 2 without what probably 50% of the lower rated poster's computers are, preferably horrible 4200 Dells, Half-Life 2 is immense and the graphics are well made and just awesome. And since when does a shooter have to be so in particularly be a completely realistic in an environment of the jungle, or some place on Mars, or some really dumb variation of L.A? (I'm looking at you, Bloodlines.) What happened to the good old shooters like Metal Slug, hm? Sure, they weren't packed to their necks with plasma decentigration balls, dual powered shotguns, MP7's, or hoverboats, but what it the issue? Even if you count out the puzzles and map designs (Which, by the way, are practically flawless compared to some of the garbage I've seen from Halo and many other First Persons) the gameplay still heads in the correct direction. Then, complaints on the squads and commands; let me address that you don't even need squads if you're playing on normal, let alone easy. If just having some rebel guy following you and you press 'c' at the ground in front of you, he'll go. I found barely any uses of teamwork, with the exception of Grigori or Alyx, the special NPCs.
    What sort of makes me mad too is the fact people continue to say 'this game is overrated', 'this game is behind its time', 'this game is crap no thanks to Steam', personally, these are whiny comments. First of all, the game would probably not be overrated, if it weren't for the 2003 hacking. Second, it would not of been behind its time. If I do recall, some companies found part of the coding and used it for their own games. Next to that, the physics engine was remarkable for what it was way back when, when it drove awe into the people who watched E3 and the beta clips. I'm not sure what's wrong with registering to Steam either: You simply install the game, which takes NOT 4 hours, it takes 10 to 15 minutes before for my old, lousy Dell. Then you register the game, which shouldn't even take that long, if 3 minutes counts as yet another sarcastic 1 hour. If it takes the person installing Half-Life 2 at least 4 hours, then your computer dates back to the days Half-Life 1 could run on those awesome Pentium 1 Windows 93 computers. And complaining of load times? Get a computer upgrade, stop whining. If you save some money for at least 3 months, you could get a gigabyte of ram and a GeForce 7300 at its cheapest.
    Enough complaining, it's time to get on to Half-Life 2, and what it brought, and would of brought to this generation. I applaud Valve for simply releasing this; I was almost doubting a real release at all due to the beta hack. The guns, if I say, are awesome. The MP7 I would delightfully switch with an MP5K anyday, though.
  27. AnonymousMC
    May 22, 2006
    Simply put, the best-looking, most system-adaptive game I've ever played. I first played this game on an HP Pavilion a220n with an onboard GeForce 4 MX. Yeah. The graphics weren't super (no reflections, dynamic shadows, etc), but the game still looked great and played very well. Then, when I got the ATI Radeon X800, it automatically adjusted the settings, and I was astounded! TheSimply put, the best-looking, most system-adaptive game I've ever played. I first played this game on an HP Pavilion a220n with an onboard GeForce 4 MX. Yeah. The graphics weren't super (no reflections, dynamic shadows, etc), but the game still looked great and played very well. Then, when I got the ATI Radeon X800, it automatically adjusted the settings, and I was astounded! The game is so much better for me now. I love this game so much, and can't wait until the Episode One continuation comes out. I've got it on preorder! Expand
  28. AnonymousMC
    Jun 10, 2006
    Very much enjoyed this game. i play the single player over and over. what i like about it is the Physics system where you have to think about the puzzles and put counter weights in to get past the next area. things i dont care for is 1 the AI Pathing for the Npc they seem to get in the way.
  29. AnonymousMC
    Jun 11, 2006
    The push back in dates were disappointing. And so was the ending. STEAM blows unless you have the right equipment for it. But throughout the bad ending and STEAM not delivering what I so rightly deserved [I bought the game], the gameplay, the graphics, and the all out layout of this game made every bad detail worth it. I give it a 10. 9 wouldn't do it. Anything lower would be a littleThe push back in dates were disappointing. And so was the ending. STEAM blows unless you have the right equipment for it. But throughout the bad ending and STEAM not delivering what I so rightly deserved [I bought the game], the gameplay, the graphics, and the all out layout of this game made every bad detail worth it. I give it a 10. 9 wouldn't do it. Anything lower would be a little [okay, a lot] unjust. It isn't perfect, but for todays standards, this game left me breathless, and it left me for me. Like a game should. Similar to God of War. Gameplay kept me hooked, the storyline going somewhere, the graphics were, dare I say, orgasmic. Hats off to you Valve. And STEAM, fix yourself up. The HL series lost fans to you, but fans loyal enough stayed with it and say the same as I. Can't wait for what else you have in store.

- Always waiting,
    [ e X i l e ]
  30. AnonymousMC
    Jun 24, 2006
    What is it about hl2 that makes it so awesome? The fact that every aspects of a good fps has been covered, from graphics to puzzles, and presented masterfully. Furthermore, unlike other games, the requirements we'rnt high upon release, i ran it on a ti4200 and 2.4 gig p4 and it still looks fantastic. Episode one rocked too, so keep it up!

3. Playboy