Half-Life PC

9.1

1. Apr 1, 2012
    Half Life is a game of epic proportions, Valve provided a knock-out game. Good shooting mechanics, great map design, deep and involving story and of course hitting alien zombies with crowbars. Gameplay gets slightly repetitive at times though.
  2. Jul 29, 2012
    This game produced one of the greatest Mod's of all time: CounterStrike. And only because of that it well deserved this epic score! But only because i never actually played through the game i can only give it a 9
  3. HeywoodF.
    May 10, 2006
    At the time of publishing Half-Life it was simply the Best Game ever and continued to hold that position for a lenghty period of time. Now Half-Life is naturally out-dated game, especially in graphics point of view.. But still it is worth every penny you need to invest in buying this masterpiece of Gaming History.
  4. AmirS.
    Sep 21, 2006
    I am a big fan of teamplay FPS games, and I loved games such as TF, Quake 2 CTF, and CS. FLF is quite possibly the best team FPS out there because it combines teamwork and strategy while maintaining a frantic pace. I would give it a perfect 10 score but the lack of players is an issue that can't be ignored. Graphics, sound, animations, levels, it's all excellent. A must play for I am a big fan of teamplay FPS games, and I loved games such as TF, Quake 2 CTF, and CS. FLF is quite possibly the best team FPS out there because it combines teamwork and strategy while maintaining a frantic pace. I would give it a perfect 10 score but the lack of players is an issue that can't be ignored. Graphics, sound, animations, levels, it's all excellent. A must play for any teamplay FPS fan. Expand
  5. ChaseM.
    Jul 27, 2006
    one of the best games ever made. It's rare that you find a sequal to a game such as this that kicks just as much ass also I might add. I'd been playing this game since my dad bought it and i'd never beaten it until I got steam and Half Life: Source. This game never stops entertaining me, with or without cheats, on any difficulty, its fun to play over and over. Anyone who one of the best games ever made. It's rare that you find a sequal to a game such as this that kicks just as much ass also I might add. I'd been playing this game since my dad bought it and i'd never beaten it until I got steam and Half Life: Source. This game never stops entertaining me, with or without cheats, on any difficulty, its fun to play over and over. Anyone who wants to get one of the best games ever created, buy this game. Expand
  6. BrianJ.
    Jul 27, 2006
    Greatest PC FPS ever... as long as you get the High Definition pack. Without it, the guns look like toys. With it, they look and sound nice enough to get you involved in the game. The best action sequences ever - take on an entire alien army and an entire marine corps. Brilliant AI ends the "spray, take cover, reload" sequence. You will still be taking cover and reloading, but when you Greatest PC FPS ever... as long as you get the High Definition pack. Without it, the guns look like toys. With it, they look and sound nice enough to get you involved in the game. The best action sequences ever - take on an entire alien army and an entire marine corps. Brilliant AI ends the "spray, take cover, reload" sequence. You will still be taking cover and reloading, but when you do, expect a grenade to be tossed your way or a swarm of thornets to seek you out. Puzzles are not all that puzzling since there is usually only one path open to you, but are still interesting enough to keep the non-combat portions of the game fun. Guns are varied and interesting. This is the game that created genre mainstays like vent crawling, squad based AI, and seamless first person scripted events. A true masterpiece. When combined with Opposing Force, the massive amount of quality is astounding to behold. I simply cannot get into the mods for the game and the multiplayer, because all-together the massive amount of perfection is too staggering to fit in this blurb. Expand
  7. AlesG.
    May 27, 2008
    This is seriously one of the best games i have ever played. I just spent my whole day yesterday playing this game. Not only does it make you think (which is great fro most people), but it also scared the crap out of me at some times, surprised me at other times, and it totally broke the annoying box that Videogame companies usually stay in.
  8. TylerC.
    Jul 14, 2008
    First off, Steve M. has no idea what he is talking about because this is Half-Life 1, not Half-Life 2 OR The Orange Box. Secondly, this game was and still is a masterpiece of its time. Although it was built off the quake 2 engine, it completely shattered Quake as well as Doom, completely revolutionizing First Person Shooters. Also, just because some amateur from the Cincinnati Enquirer First off, Steve M. has no idea what he is talking about because this is Half-Life 1, not Half-Life 2 OR The Orange Box. Secondly, this game was and still is a masterpiece of its time. Although it was built off the quake 2 engine, it completely shattered Quake as well as Doom, completely revolutionizing First Person Shooters. Also, just because some amateur from the Cincinnati Enquirer does not know how to use the jump button, does not mean the game is frustrating or "almost impossible". Take it from a 10-year Half-Life veteran, there is no better game around than the HL series. Period. Expand
  9. BlazingArrow
    Jun 18, 2006
    You know, I used to hate fps. I thought, well, killing people wouldnt seen right, even virtually. Then, my best friend GAVE me the game: Half-Life One Anthology. I stared my vibe of fps ever since. This game, even years after release, is still one of the best games out there, and it plays on most computers, ensuring your satisfaction for the game. I love EVERYTHING about it, form the You know, I used to hate fps. I thought, well, killing people wouldnt seen right, even virtually. Then, my best friend GAVE me the game: Half-Life One Anthology. I stared my vibe of fps ever since. This game, even years after release, is still one of the best games out there, and it plays on most computers, ensuring your satisfaction for the game. I love EVERYTHING about it, form the mysterious G-man to the puny litte, cute headcrabs. This game will NEVER get old. Garanteed. Expand
  10. ZeroDestiny
    Jul 27, 2006
    Still one of the greatest shooters out there. Half Life 2 has a ton of potential, but valve kinda tripped at the finish line when they released what felt like a partial attempt at a game. I play the original to get that feel good sensation that HL2 was kinda lacking.
  11. Nov 17, 2011
    Classic FPS. I didn't get into it as much at first until I played Half-Life 2, but after I came back to it, even after all these years, I found that the world was just unforgettably good. The atmosphere is incredible, and the combat system is fun. Certain parts of the game were definitely frustrating, but shouldn't stop you from enjoying the game if you have the drive to finish it. If youClassic FPS. I didn't get into it as much at first until I played Half-Life 2, but after I came back to it, even after all these years, I found that the world was just unforgettably good. The atmosphere is incredible, and the combat system is fun. Certain parts of the game were definitely frustrating, but shouldn't stop you from enjoying the game if you have the drive to finish it. If you like science-fiction and FPS games, this is definitely worth considering. The sequel is even better as well.

The graphics are obviously bad, considering the games age, but if you can look past that, this game is no doubt a gem. If you can't get over how bad the graphics are, you might try Half-Life 2 first instead. If you're a sci-fi FPS fan who likes thought-provoking video games, I wouldn't be surprised to hear after playing HL2 you'll want to come back and give this one another shot =). Give it a try. It's a classic for a lot of reasons. Plus, the soundtrack is superb.
  12. Sep 3, 2011
    This is possibly one of the best PC games ever made(Tied with Deus Ex and its sequel, Half-Life 2). For its time, the graphics were stunning. The level design, despite it being a linear game, still encourages free movement. The guns are satisfying to shoot and combat has the perfect difficulty. It's an incredible cinematic experience lasting over 12 hours, and only once or twice are youThis is possibly one of the best PC games ever made(Tied with Deus Ex and its sequel, Half-Life 2). For its time, the graphics were stunning. The level design, despite it being a linear game, still encourages free movement. The guns are satisfying to shoot and combat has the perfect difficulty. It's an incredible cinematic experience lasting over 12 hours, and only once or twice are you forced too look at a certain area. If you like FPS games, there is no question. BUY IT. Expand
  13. Jul 9, 2013
    One of the best games ever made. EVEN NOW YEARS AFTER IT IS MADE, PLAY IT nuff said. the only bad thing about the game is the ladder climbing is really obnoxious
  14. Apr 16, 2014
    The people that made this must have genius level IQs. Absolutely mind blowing. Whenever I go back to it, I realize how much every other FPS before and after sucks in comparison (yes, even the original "Deus Ex" and "Human Revolution" missed notes that this game constantly nails on the head).

Not only is it an amazing single-player title, we got some game-changing multiplayer mods out of it as well (Counter-Strike, TFC [which was a *much* improved version of the Quake TF], Natural Selection, Science & Industry) that were absolutely *free*. Guys setting up servers in their basement and players getting pings better than you can get in CoD or any other console multiplayer title. Those were the days. People who got into gaming after all this have no idea what they missed. Kind of like getting into "The Beatles" *after* the hippie movement. Still a great band, but the music doesn't have anywhere *near* the same impact it would've if you were there when it was happening.
  15. Mar 31, 2015
    Best plot ever! A revolution in game industry. One can play this game forever. It gave birth to Counter-Strike and both projects live till now and will live very long. Worth to be in collection.
  16. GrigoryT
    Jan 2, 2010
    Half-Life was the thirst game I've ever played. And now I've realised that it was only GAME.
  17. MikeF.
    May 8, 2006
    best ist game in the gender i played.Please can steam make some dungeon dragon type games in the same format.
  18. HobartJ.
    Aug 3, 2010
    Amazing!
  19. BobG.
    Oct 1, 2003
    The game is 5 years old and it's still rocks!
  20. KennyK.
    Dec 3, 2006
    I found this game extremely entertaining and the ability to surprise me. To me the story of a game is very important, maybe even more important than the gameplay, but this game gave me a new standard to follow, when reviewing games, which new games has a very hard time following up to!
  21. JoeK.
    May 14, 2006
    GREAT GAME!
  22. ColinP.
    May 9, 2006
    i think it one the best and origial games out there. the story is assom and they did a grate job for the time it was made.
  23. AnonymousMC
    Feb 1, 2007
    Half-Life earns a sure fire 10, and to Jerry H who gave it a 1... your reasoning has nothing to do with HL1, the game is great because it came out many years ago and revolutionized FPS games. Its not great because there is a huge amount of people playing its multilayer mode. Think about it this way, without HL1 you wouldn't even be playing Day of Defeat or Counter-strike- their basedHalf-Life earns a sure fire 10, and to Jerry H who gave it a 1... your reasoning has nothing to do with HL1, the game is great because it came out many years ago and revolutionized FPS games. Its not great because there is a huge amount of people playing its multilayer mode. Think about it this way, without HL1 you wouldn't even be playing Day of Defeat or Counter-strike- their based on the HL1 engine! Expand
  24. AnonymousMC
    May 10, 2007
    ive been playing dis game since i bought it back in 2001 (wen i was 9yrs old), and ta tink dat i at dat age could crack da puzzels dat half da guys dat rated da game bad couldnt... , its actually quite sad, really, i'll bet dey didnt even play da game. or dey got bored within a 1st 5min cause it didnt start in a battlefield wit gut and gore flying in al different directions.
    P.S.
    P.S. all da guys dat guys dat gave da game a bad rating cuase da reason i just mentioned or da fact dat dey just couldnt play r luzers:)
  25. RobR.
    Jun 10, 2007
    The game that set the standard... Has the perfect blend of action and puzzles that makes for a truly unique expierience. Being extremely lengthy, you won't forget about this games for a long time. The ending is absolutely incredible, giving the feeling of a dorky scientist turned epic hero of humanity.
  26. Leonidasgp4
    Aug 30, 2007
    It is very hard to make a "critic" to H-L, since H-L change my life, in a way, like F1 Racing simulators did. It is not new that H-L change every little thing from the universe of FPS, but, in the other hand.. H-L have changed the point of view of many people, through gamer to developers. The week point of H-L was that you can actually see, that the physics seem to fail in many ways... It is very hard to make a "critic" to H-L, since H-L change my life, in a way, like F1 Racing simulators did. It is not new that H-L change every little thing from the universe of FPS, but, in the other hand.. H-L have changed the point of view of many people, through gamer to developers. The week point of H-L was that you can actually see, that the physics seem to fail in many ways... for example , you can shoot a bow from 10 miles and the impact is instantaneous... anyway... Me, (and I think many people too) didn't realize off that things until we've got H-L 2 to compare. The best game ever... H-L Expand
  27. AntonA.
    Aug 9, 2007
    I love this game!
  28. AdrienV.
    Jan 10, 2008
    Best FPS for its time, don't be shunned away when you see the graphics, it was freakin 1998/9! I used to look at a games graphics first in till i got half-life. I bought the Anthology and was dissapointed with the graphics. But 1/4 way through I suddenly realised I did not give a crap anymore. I was too busy having fun.
  29. SteveS.
    Apr 6, 2008
    Many people this this is one of the best games out there. I would agree. Portal was amazing but this you could get free mods and thats what put it over the edge. I happen to be a fan of Valve's games but I will say if its a bad game. This was the most fun i have had in a long time. A lot of people are just about running and gunning but hate game were you might have to think a little. Many people this this is one of the best games out there. I would agree. Portal was amazing but this you could get free mods and thats what put it over the edge. I happen to be a fan of Valve's games but I will say if its a bad game. This was the most fun i have had in a long time. A lot of people are just about running and gunning but hate game were you might have to think a little. The puzzle are not impossible and they are fun. I could tell people about this game but most people already know about it. I just wish they put this game into the orange box as well the game would be complete! altogether this IS the best game on the PC and one of the more fun times you will ever have! Expand
  30. PierreH.
    Jul 10, 2008
    A wonderfull game for 1998, bought when he came out. The voices, ambiance and the storyline are very good. The game play is quite a revolution in the FPS at this time, only deus ex was released and wasnt that fluid. Very nice game, still worth to play ... 10 years later.
  31. AnonymousMC
    Jul 18, 2008
    U know what Steve M, u must be one of the dumbest people i've ever read about. First of all ur talking about Half Life 2 U DIPSHIT! Second, Halflife 2 doesn't suck, and u should keep your fucking negativity to yourself and third the original half-life doesn't suck either... So if u hate these games soo much don't fucking waste ur time writing stupid reviews...

As

As for a review, I give this game a 9 and Half Life 2 a 10.
  32. RobS
    Oct 18, 2009
    This is the game that started it all. The game to end all games. The one, the only HALF-LIFE! Buy it. No, don't ask questions, just buy it now. Don't be put off by the aged graphics, that just makes it all the more "retro." While it's true that some of the game is a little long, the Xen level was a bit rough, it's still worthy of being in the top 5. I remember playing This is the game that started it all. The game to end all games. The one, the only HALF-LIFE! Buy it. No, don't ask questions, just buy it now. Don't be put off by the aged graphics, that just makes it all the more "retro." While it's true that some of the game is a little long, the Xen level was a bit rough, it's still worthy of being in the top 5. I remember playing this back in 2000. I was about 10 years old and it scared the crap out of me, but I loved every second of it. After I found out about Half-Life 2, I freaked. I needed the second game; and when I got it the heavens materialized, and I was transported to gaming nirvana. Expand
  33. AnonymousMC
    Apr 5, 2009
    Mike J?
    I don't think they made it knowing that games like Cod 4/5, Halo and all of them were going to come out, I bet HL is older than you to be honest.
    Other than my rant, about Half Life. Brill game, still amazing to this day, pretty fun story line.
  34. AnonymousMC
    Aug 1, 2009
    Good game. Sadly, this review comes too late because of the age of the game. If it was '98, I would most likely give it a 10, but due to the antiquated graphics and somewhat slow storyline compared to contemporary titles, I can't get into it as much. However, everything is very well designed and the experience is top-notch.
  35. FakeiFAKE
    Jan 7, 2010
    Amazing game! Completely changed the FPS genre. This is also a MUST-play if your going to play hl2
  36. Marc
    Mar 21, 2004
    You are Gordon Freeman...now strap yourself in for the ride of your life. Seriously.
  37. Jacob
    May 17, 2004
    This game is (as Tony the Tiger would say) GRRRRREAT. Its storyline, graphics, and gameplay far surpass any game made in the same time period as Half Life. And I cant wait to see the upcoming battle between Half-life 2, Doom3, and Halo 2. Its gonna be SWEET!!!
  38. JonathanM.
    Oct 22, 2006
    I didn't think this game was going to be a cool one. After about 5 months of playing Counter-strike, I was getting to be bored. I'd see the pre-loaded Half-Life everytime i started steam thinking that there was nothing in Half-Life fun. Then finally, I gave up. Before going to sleep at 10:05, I decided to buy the game. Each step of the buying process lead me to bet me more and I didn't think this game was going to be a cool one. After about 5 months of playing Counter-strike, I was getting to be bored. I'd see the pre-loaded Half-Life everytime i started steam thinking that there was nothing in Half-Life fun. Then finally, I gave up. Before going to sleep at 10:05, I decided to buy the game. Each step of the buying process lead me to bet me more and more anxious. After I finished buying the game, I immediately got on it. I tried to keep myself form going on anything but the training room at first, so that i may not spoil anything yet. Even that tutiral made me anxious. Forgetting i had to be at school at 8:00, i kept playing. I finally told myself to go sleep, but iIcouldn't. I lay in my bed all night curious,desperate for more Half-Life. I woke up at 5:00 in the morning tp play the game. I found myself "sick" at school and came home to play this great game. I give this game a 100 outta 10, but it could use a graphics improvement. Expand
  39. AnonymousMC
    Oct 6, 2006
    This game has everything; I just wanna say to all low- rating people that this game has been made 8 years ago !!! For windows 95/98 !! Of course if you play it now the graphics are less then you are used to. But it still takes HOURS to complete the game. I can't believe some are saying the game wasn't well tought out.It's GENIUS ! And.. DON'T vote low if YOU can'tThis game has everything; I just wanna say to all low- rating people that this game has been made 8 years ago !!! For windows 95/98 !! Of course if you play it now the graphics are less then you are used to. But it still takes HOURS to complete the game. I can't believe some are saying the game wasn't well tought out.It's GENIUS ! And.. DON'T vote low if YOU can't solve a level. If you would end the entire game without dieing a single time, the game would s**ks. Expand
  40. TobiasGruber
    May 10, 2006
    The mother of all games... -Simply the best game ever made.
  41. AnonymousMC
    May 10, 2006
    Perfect! This game is way ahead of its time. It is the BEST game ever made! There is absolutely no real comparison, even between it and the sequel, which is also ahead of its time. Valve is an excellent company! IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS GAME, BUY IT IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!
  42. JamesM.
    May 7, 2006
    The original and best, gameplay, graphics (at the time), plot and story line, character interaction, aliens, anti gravity, it had it all. The weapons were varied and each had to be used in different situations, so you had to think. Not a mindless shooter by any means. I think when it came out I played this game 5 times over before I even touched any other game, it really was that good!
  43. MichaelL.
    May 7, 2006
    Best game seen to date on the PC in my 18 years of playing computer games. There is so much there it is even great the second and third time around!
  44. BenediktZ.
    May 8, 2006
    Although it's old by now you could still call this game the mother of all FPS... The Game was (for the time release) graphically amazing and the story still is very interesting.
  45. AllanP.
    May 9, 2006
    It's really a great game, it kept me thinking a great period. I didn't want even to study, to play half-life. It's a great game, but some puzzles are too much difficult and big, so some people can get stuck sometimes. But this don't kill the fun. Great game!
  46. Dr.ShainE.
    Apr 25, 2007
    This is the game that changed gaming. You aren't even a gamer unless you've played this game through at least once. It's one of the most compelling, intuitive, and fun to play games ever made. The story is still incredible if you have enough brain cells to deal with a story that isn't spoon fed to you. This game is for thinking players, if you don't like thinking This is the game that changed gaming. You aren't even a gamer unless you've played this game through at least once. It's one of the most compelling, intuitive, and fun to play games ever made. The story is still incredible if you have enough brain cells to deal with a story that isn't spoon fed to you. This game is for thinking players, if you don't like thinking or are too young to think, then I'd advise you to go play Halo. Otherwise, welcome to the big leagues! Expand
  47. Jgcxelite
    Oct 30, 2008
    Good game, but i found a few things that prevented it being great, at least for me, confusing me somewhat about how it gots its iconic status. This may simply be because i played the half life 2 series first and expected the same level of gameplay - it did begin very fun but sagged a little in the middle. Also, the crowbar is not just as good; i have had limitless fun whacking headcrabs Good game, but i found a few things that prevented it being great, at least for me, confusing me somewhat about how it gots its iconic status. This may simply be because i played the half life 2 series first and expected the same level of gameplay - it did begin very fun but sagged a little in the middle. Also, the crowbar is not just as good; i have had limitless fun whacking headcrabs just as they leap for my face. I found the gameplay a little too hard; for example, the tentacle level took me a very long time and i felt i would have enjoyed it more were it to at least have not made this so confusing. Expand
  48. TeodorIkonomov
    Jul 17, 2008
    The Best Game Ever
  49. LucasR.
    Sep 3, 2008
    This is the best game I've ever played!! I've loved this game!! Every body should play it!! I've had finished this one 48 times... and I keep finishing it... I love this serie! I love Dr. Freeman... I have The Orange Box, the HL2 ep.1 and Half-Life Generation!!! I just thing that you (Stem) shoud re-build this great game, not like you've done ai Half-Life Source, but This is the best game I've ever played!! I've loved this game!! Every body should play it!! I've had finished this one 48 times... and I keep finishing it... I love this serie! I love Dr. Freeman... I have The Orange Box, the HL2 ep.1 and Half-Life Generation!!! I just thing that you (Stem) shoud re-build this great game, not like you've done ai Half-Life Source, but whil all the grafics of HL2... I loved every minute of them! You should make the Opp. Force 2 and Blue Shift 2 too... it would be nice!! I'm sure that everybody will want to play these game more then it was played... Thanx!! Expand
  50. RyanD.
    Sep 5, 2008
    Half-life redefined the first person shooter genre into what it is today. It took a stagnating genre and rewrote the rules. It proved shooters could have a story, friendly characters, and do without key cards. This game has never gone stale. All the mods for it kept it alive well after Half-life 2 came out. If you have never played this game, do yourself a favor and get a copy.
  51. AnonymousMC
    Apr 6, 2009
    @ Mike J
    Half Life is not crap and no one on here wants to know about halo and COD 4 and Final Fantasy 7 in a Half life review so grow up you Xbox fanboy, anyway this is a great game great story great characters great weapons and a challange so great at the end you just want to yell, yeah i did it!
  52. AnonymousMC
    Apr 9, 2009
    Truly one of the best games ever made, this game has appeal ten years after it's release. I can't think of many FPS games where this is true. Also, to all the people he rate this low because it looks bad, it's ten years old. What do you expect. Just enjoy the gameplay.
  53. FakeName
    Jan 1, 2010
    Single player: Best ever. I played it though several times and I still love it. I have played other games like Super Mario 64, Orcana of Time, Halo 2/3, MW 2, and other games and It blows it away. I like it more than the other games in it's series. Multiplayer: I havent played it on multi player but it would be fun to play it with a partner o single player but would get boring Single player: Best ever. I played it though several times and I still love it. I have played other games like Super Mario 64, Orcana of Time, Halo 2/3, MW 2, and other games and It blows it away. I like it more than the other games in it's series. Multiplayer: I havent played it on multi player but it would be fun to play it with a partner o single player but would get boring fighting other people prettey quick. Also: There is a Mod called Black Mesa and it was made with a volenteer team and has taken around 6 years to make (and counting) and they are re-making the game with the HL2 engine and it is around as good as the original game with out being realy cheezy like most mods with the source engine. You should check it out. It should be comming out in 2010. Expand
  54. KaiS.
    Feb 16, 2010
    It is the best game I've ever played.
  55. HobartJ.
    Mar 15, 2010
    Amazing!
  56. BitBurn
    Oct 2, 2003
    Yes. This is the best shooter I've played. Sound effects are great. Arsenal is very interesting, AI is very well done for a 1998 game...but most of all, the single player storyline blows them all away! Even today in 2003!! Can't wait for HL2!!
    Apr 27, 2003
    Fry the bast***
  58. O.K.
    Apr 30, 2003
    It's the greatest single player fps ever, bar none. Many have passed it since, but all stole liberally from the originator. Long live the king.
  59. MichaelB.
    Sep 17, 2003
    Awesome Game.
  60. NathanS.
    Sep 23, 2003
    This Game RULES DUDE!!!
  61. JustinM.
    Jan 18, 2004
    The best fps in my book, i like half-life better than halo. maybe its because of half-lifes creepy feeling of isolation. I think half-life 2 will be better than halo 2.
  62. PhilT.
    Mar 10, 2004
    Absolutely groundbreaking in its day, still very playable today. A very engaging narrative level design that is still not surpassed by some more recent games. I Loved it! Bring on Half Life 2!!!!
  63. MaciejW.
    Mar 8, 2004
    Incredible game with fantastic atmosphere!!!! The best game ever, with no doubt. It is just shocking game.
  64. BillB.
    Apr 26, 2004
    It's awesome.
  65. U
    Jul 1, 2005
    Best Game. When your finished playing single player, there are a ton of mods for both online gaming and single.
  66. PeterK.
    Nov 6, 2006
    This is the best game ever made, I dont care about the GRAPHICS i care about the plot and well everything that makes a game good (besides graphics) This game Half-life1 got me into creating games you know that? and im only 13 and i have 4 good games with the FPS2 graphic card.
  67. KoshN.
    Apr 18, 2006
    I would give this game an 11 if i could, it is perfectly difficult, long enough and OH so much fun to play time and time again. My favorite game of all time.
  68. AnthonyN.
    May 12, 2006
    Really good game!
  69. SamG.
    May 13, 2006
    When i began playing, it went slow, then it began to pick up. I espicially liked how the player must think to progress, i personally am a adventure and puzzle player, and that's why i liked this so much, also the puzzles give a much needed break in action, if i wanted action, i'd just go outside, but the puzzles out side, i have to make...
  70. StevoM.
    May 13, 2006
    One of the best content action packed oriented game to ever come out, just a blast that keeps you on the edge of your seat while challenging you from beginnning to end.
  71. RobB.
    May 14, 2006
    Played this game for over 6 years, best game ever!
  72. YermakirumY.
    May 28, 2006
    Very good game.
  73. BlobN.
    May 5, 2006
    Probably my favorite game combining Fps and puzzle elements. It casues the player to use their skill and their brain to beat the game.
  74. JohnA.
    May 7, 2006
    Very well though out game and beautiful single player storyline.
  75. PpjB.
    May 7, 2006
    probbably lost a few hundred friends from this game from playing to too much!
  76. AnonymousMC
    Jun 14, 2006
    When this game came out I hadn't really gotten into computer games much, the FPS's at the time being very boring and unimaginative. I played this, and i was hooked! Fine- so its very dated now, and you youngsters giving it such harsh reviews may be used to all your Halo and Halo 2 graphics (Halo was great, but Halo 2? now there's overrated). Of course HL2 is better in everyWhen this game came out I hadn't really gotten into computer games much, the FPS's at the time being very boring and unimaginative. I played this, and i was hooked! Fine- so its very dated now, and you youngsters giving it such harsh reviews may be used to all your Halo and Halo 2 graphics (Halo was great, but Halo 2? now there's overrated). Of course HL2 is better in every way- they had all the feed back gotten from the original to work off of, as well as 6 years to make what is still the best graphics engine in existance. For its time and even now, i still think Half life has one of the most rewarding single player experiences in the industry, both in length and quality. it took me a year to beat it on hard mode, and still takes a comparable amount of time to do the same.
    to mr. Rami W.- please, play the game before reviewing it. there is no "money" involved whatsoever in half life. maybe you're thinking Counter strike. there aren't even "objectives" in half life.
  77. AndrewG.
    Jul 9, 2006
    this game is great. THE 2nd best pc shooter ever created, 1st obviously being half-life 2. the graphics were astonishing, and still are better than halo's graphics. considering this game came out 3 years before halo, it had way more variety in weapons, enemies, environments, etc. and its easy mode is 10 times more challenging than halo.
  78. DavidA.
    Sep 26, 2006
    This game is kick .ss for it is the best old FPS ever to own on your PC along with Blue Shift and Opposing Force and Team Fortress Classic. Get the Anthology pack asap to get all these for a nice cheap price and rock ass online with em and well enjoy!
  79. CarlosQ.
    Apr 20, 2007
    This is a perfect game ever made the graphics are the best more of half life 2 (but are the games of half-life are great)and the g-men is spectacular and the last boss is spectacular (all of the boss are grats ) this game have spectacular fps. this game is the best ever made.
  80. DaveP.
    Sep 23, 2007
    This is the first computer game I have every played.... I have been playing games ever since, I think that says something about the impact that it had on me. This game brings a whole new meaning to the words challenging and strategie. All in all one of the best games of all time.
  81. AnonymousMC
    Sep 23, 2007
    Great game! Really really addicting... hard at first recommended to play on easy haha but after you get used to the game the game is outstanding and makes you want to play it till the end. I mean I evan played Opposing Force + Blue shift to continue the half life story cause I can't play the newer half life 2 cause of my grafix card but still Those games are great to! (but they areGreat game! Really really addicting... hard at first recommended to play on easy haha but after you get used to the game the game is outstanding and makes you want to play it till the end. I mean I evan played Opposing Force + Blue shift to continue the half life story cause I can't play the newer half life 2 cause of my grafix card but still Those games are great to! (but they are shorter lol!) So everybody should get this game number one hell yeah!!! was kinda like wtf at first but then the story makes sense and you won't want to stop playing untill you get kiked off.... ok I'll stop typing now haha.... Expand
  82. AnonymousMC
    Sep 29, 2007
    i found the program limiting as all closed in screens are in real life. theres no perifegy vision and its hard getting used to. story line is lame as the head suckers have no purpose other than to jump on your head and become a parasite. its action is almost believable. as you go thru the story looking for whatever. i was always unsure of what i was after.
  83. AnonymousMC
    Dec 3, 2008
    This is the greatest game I have ever played. Everything is amazing. It has the greatest storyline I have ever seen in any type of game on any platform, be it MMO, strategy, or FPS. This story includes mysterey, lack of any cutscenes, and wonderfully thought-out details. Coupled with healthy doses of puzzle game, combat, and skill, all aspects of this go together pefectly. This is theThis is the greatest game I have ever played. Everything is amazing. It has the greatest storyline I have ever seen in any type of game on any platform, be it MMO, strategy, or FPS. This story includes mysterey, lack of any cutscenes, and wonderfully thought-out details. Coupled with healthy doses of puzzle game, combat, and skill, all aspects of this go together pefectly. This is the best game of all time and really deserves an award to be named after it. Expand
  84. AnonymousMC
    Dec 5, 2008
    To this day one of the better FPS games of all time, in my opinion. I've played it through several times over the years and still get to enjoy moments that I'd forgotten about. I'm not sure the PC has had a shooter since Half-Life that could equal it's legendary status. Gordon Freeman is a PC pop icon.

If you've never touched the HL series, play this first!!
  85. MikeU.
    Mar 21, 2008
    Simply one of the best games ever. The single player mode was one of the best I ever played, and the multiplayer was fantastic, with very original maps and fun weapons. The graphics are not that great today, but a team of game developers are making a free mod called Black Mesa: source, which has graphics that are as good as Half-life 2. This will always remain one of the best games ever.
  86. Ryan
    Apr 20, 2008
    There is something about this game that I love. It is not the graphics or story line. It is just a well developed game with smooth, fast paced action and intelligent, inspirational obstacles that give you a sense of proudness if completed. Some people do NOT respect this game for its graphics or style BECAUSE they don't know WHEN it was MADE. This unforgettable game was created in 1997.
  87. omglol
    Jul 26, 2008
    Graphics: suck but if you buy Half-Life Source then you can purchase a High-Def pack for it on www.fpsbannana.com. (this rating is not advertising) The High-Def pack gives the weapons a new look. The machinegun in Half-Life looks like an M4. The shotgun looks like it can blow a hole in through a wall. The scientist,security guards and marines all look better with smoother animations. (as Graphics: suck but if you buy Half-Life Source then you can purchase a High-Def pack for it on www.fpsbannana.com. (this rating is not advertising) The High-Def pack gives the weapons a new look. The machinegun in Half-Life looks like an M4. The shotgun looks like it can blow a hole in through a wall. The scientist,security guards and marines all look better with smoother animations. (as do all the monsters) Gameplay: Good Weapons: Good. Expand
  88. AnonymousMC
    Aug 13, 2008
    daca mie mia sa stricat si intru in joc si dau clikpe server si imi apre acolo tot dar apas tab si lista nu apare si ami aleg sa iu tero dar nu ma pot misca si nu pot impusca si cumpara ce sa fac va rog frumos sami raspundeti
  89. CarlV.
    Aug 24, 2008
    Steve M needs to stop sucking at games. It's hard to hit while spraying because spraying is a terrible technique. Anyway, ignoring idiots, this game is amazing. It has a few sections that are tough to get through, but nothing impossible, and the story is one of the best I've seen of any game (and movies actually) to date. If you have not played this game, you do not deserve to Steve M needs to stop sucking at games. It's hard to hit while spraying because spraying is a terrible technique. Anyway, ignoring idiots, this game is amazing. It has a few sections that are tough to get through, but nothing impossible, and the story is one of the best I've seen of any game (and movies actually) to date. If you have not played this game, you do not deserve to play video games. Expand
  90. NicholasG.
    Aug 4, 2008
    I just completed Half-Life, and boy am I tired. I've gotten little sleep these past 3 days, my eyes have been glued to a monitor for hours and hours on end, and I would do it all over again many times. Of all of the games I've ever played, none have ever reached the level of absolute excellence of this game has. It raised the bar back in 1998, and is still a very stunning I just completed Half-Life, and boy am I tired. I've gotten little sleep these past 3 days, my eyes have been glued to a monitor for hours and hours on end, and I would do it all over again many times. Of all of the games I've ever played, none have ever reached the level of absolute excellence of this game has. It raised the bar back in 1998, and is still a very stunning action/story oriented game that every gamer should play. Expand
  91. JamesB.
    Sep 5, 2008
    Half-Life is undoubtedly the single greatest singleplayer videogame ever created, and it will probably stay that way for a long time to come. Every technical aspect of the game was far ahead of its time, and the guys at Valve made it clever and intuitive, mentally stimulating, intriguing, and most importantly, fun. I have beaten it at least a dozen times now, and even though at this point Half-Life is undoubtedly the single greatest singleplayer videogame ever created, and it will probably stay that way for a long time to come. Every technical aspect of the game was far ahead of its time, and the guys at Valve made it clever and intuitive, mentally stimulating, intriguing, and most importantly, fun. I have beaten it at least a dozen times now, and even though at this point I could probably beat it with my monitor turned off, I still haven't grown bored of it. I'd give this game 100 out of 10 if I could. It really is that great. Expand
  92. Freeman'sMind
    Sep 6, 2008
    @ Steve M. Really, people, get your games right! This is HALF-LIFE not HALF-LIFE 2!! And, in it's defense, they are both part of the greatest series of all time, trust me, I would know. Physics puzzles, action, a new twist on the whole "zombie" concept (which Halo ripped off, by the way), alien border worlds, thousands of multiplayer options, and more, make pretty much any game @ Steve M. Really, people, get your games right! This is HALF-LIFE not HALF-LIFE 2!! And, in it's defense, they are both part of the greatest series of all time, trust me, I would know. Physics puzzles, action, a new twist on the whole "zombie" concept (which Halo ripped off, by the way), alien border worlds, thousands of multiplayer options, and more, make pretty much any game created by Valve a piece of artwork. And seriously, if you are complaining that you won't play a game because you died near the end, WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE HARD, then you really need to work on your skills. Stop abusing a game just because you can't play for crap. Expand
  93. ShaunC
    Jan 10, 2009
    It's the best FPS shooter to ever come out. There's nothing wrong with this game at all. People who give this a thumbs down because of graphics are obviously idiots, since they forgot this was released in 1998!!!!!!!! It's got tons of actions, puzzles, and a GREAT story. What more could you want? If you think this is a bad game, then you need to lower your standards for good games.
  94. ChristopherN
    Nov 4, 2009
    Whoever is says the game is boring, junk, useless, repetative, and lame is either a idiot or a moron (or they never played it before). I played it since I was a kid and no kidding this is one heck of a thinking game. Until in high school I tried again and god it's still hard to figure out the clues. It was sometimes so hard that I just gave up and cheated (yeah i cheat but hey i have Whoever is says the game is boring, junk, useless, repetative, and lame is either a idiot or a moron (or they never played it before). I played it since I was a kid and no kidding this is one heck of a thinking game. Until in high school I tried again and god it's still hard to figure out the clues. It was sometimes so hard that I just gave up and cheated (yeah i cheat but hey i have a life). I missed the game so much that I was ready to buy the game as soon as I got to high school. DONT MISS THIS CHANCE BUY IT! Expand
  95. JamesS
    Dec 10, 2009
    By far the best FPS ever made only the sequel comes close. A must buy for anyone.
  96. CodyB
    Jan 29, 2009
    This game was made 10 years ago and it's still one of my favorites. That's staying power that only a games like Diablo or Starcraft has. No other FPS of it's time and no over non-Valve has had such an impact on the gaming world like the HL series.
  97. AnonymousMC
    Mar 11, 2009
    Great game . Cant find other words then just its a great game which for me started the journey into the lands of the fps and to the one dude who said that ff7 was better , no it wasnt . Half life owns this bitch and to compare an 2 year old game with an 10 year old ? How old are you 5 ? ... tss
  98. AnonymousMC
    Mar 31, 2009
    This is was the best game of its time. While not the "best game" today it inspired most current games. If you like Deus EX, Bioshock, COD, F.E.A.R. or any fps with a story then you can thank Half-Life. This game changed everything when it was made from from developers supporting mods to story telling in games.
  99. AnonymousCriticAnon
    Apr 19, 2009
    Half-Life 1 is a masterpiece of a game. The atmosphere is real great. You really feel like you are working in Black Mesa and the scientists are your colleagues. The gameplay is a bit old, but it still have some very entertaining weapons which normal FPS games even today don't have. Overall Half-Life 1 did alost everything good and it is a shame, that Half-Life 2 wasn't trying to Half-Life 1 is a masterpiece of a game. The atmosphere is real great. You really feel like you are working in Black Mesa and the scientists are your colleagues. The gameplay is a bit old, but it still have some very entertaining weapons which normal FPS games even today don't have. Overall Half-Life 1 did alost everything good and it is a shame, that Half-Life 2 wasn't trying to put up such great new stuff like Half-Life 1 did. Expand
  100. AnonymousMC
    Apr 21, 2009
    Mike J: This game is just crap. So boring and gay. FF7 is a game with a great story. This was just gay........... You're joking right? Final fantasy is possibly the most boring slice of excrement ever finely sprayed over the population of the world. HL on the other hand is magic :)

1. It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life has done just that.
  2. The storyline runs in perfect harmony with the action and acts as a conduit not a stopgap, or a padding device. Each gaming element compliments the next and the entire presentation is nothing short of, well…dare we say it…revolutionary.
  3. PC Gamer
    This is The Big One, and it's even better than we could've hoped. [Jan 1999, p.166]