Half-Life PC

1. May 18, 2015
  2. Oct 4, 2014
    Game: Half-Life
    Genre: FPS/Horror
    Developer: Valve System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 77/100 Value Score: 7.7/10 • Story: 7/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 8/10 • Music: 7/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 6/10 • Player Value: 7/10 Pros +Great environment design and theme +Great Variety of weapons and the mechanics are nicely done
    Game: Half-Life

• Music: 7/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 6/10
    • Player Value: 7/10

Pros
    +Great environment design and theme
    +Great Variety of weapons and the mechanics are nicely done
    +Well designed puzzles and scenarios
    +Console mode enabled lets you play the game differently than it should (i.e. NoClip, Godmode, etc)
    +Multiplayer allows you to do PvP type matches against other players
    +Choice of 3 different difficulties

Cons
    -Sometimes certain NPCs that killed make it inaccessible to certain areas unless you use cheats
    -The game tends to be glitchy at times such as enemies going through walls, etc (very rare though)
    -This is the original - the source edition is considered to be the superior version due to some changes such as the engine, the sound effects, etc.
  3. Aug 5, 2014
    After 16 years, until this day, I still don't remember what was all that hype about and the funny thing is that the same hype train continued with Half-Life 2. Don't get me wrong, both games are a good solid FPS games, I liked them and enjoyed both, but they never took my breath away, they just never got me or gave me something to value them so highly, I never understood their massiveAfter 16 years, until this day, I still don't remember what was all that hype about and the funny thing is that the same hype train continued with Half-Life 2. Don't get me wrong, both games are a good solid FPS games, I liked them and enjoyed both, but they never took my breath away, they just never got me or gave me something to value them so highly, I never understood their massive appeal and I feel there are much much better titles in this category out there. Maybe I'm just immune to that supposed positive Valve vibe everyone else seems to get, I never even liked Steam, so it's pretty possible. 7/10 Expand
  4. May 7, 2017
    + nice beginning
    + great graphics for the time
    - way too hard - not impressed - dropped twice - the game is just annoying to play through The beginning is awesome but once the gameplay starts it gets tedious and difficult really fast. I tried to play this game twice, but gave up each time. It just wasn't worth the frustration. Still, I'm giving some points for the great intro
    + nice beginning
    + great graphics for the time
    - way too hard
    - not impressed
    - dropped twice
    - the game is just annoying to play through

Still, I'm giving some points for the great intro section and an awesome tutorial.
  5. Nov 24, 2012
    Superb game: amazing story and longevity, it hardly ever makes you bored. If you do not like this game, you can't be a real gamer: these are the real games! Not the new ones that you complete in 45 minutes.
  6. May 21, 2016
    I had hard time moving Gordon Freeman, it's senseless to try to count how many times I've quick loaded due to poor mechanics, it often got me into rage mood which i'm of course not proud of, it's a game from 98' after all. But there are also things worth to mention like shooting feeling, interesting plot, scary moments (excluding those cheap jump-scares), though there were places where II had hard time moving Gordon Freeman, it's senseless to try to count how many times I've quick loaded due to poor mechanics, it often got me into rage mood which i'm of course not proud of, it's a game from 98' after all. But there are also things worth to mention like shooting feeling, interesting plot, scary moments (excluding those cheap jump-scares), though there were places where I got stuck (literally and figuratively). To sum up, it'd be wise to say Half Life 1 is decent game but Valve did enormous progress in the second part. Expand
  7. Jul 23, 2011
    This is where the trend of puzzles in FPS games have started? I must say i prefered the old(er) school where we just shooted things instead of pushing crates around. Probably a good game, i just didn't feel it.
  8. Mar 1, 2017
    Отвратительно.

В то время как на пс выходили шедевры типо файнал фэнтези7 и метал гира, на пекарне выходило вот такое. Игрой это назвать не могу, поэтому и оценку давать не буду. Один из самых убогих и переоцененных проектов за все игровую индустрию. п.с в 1998(в то же время что и первая халфа) вышла игры Shogo мобил армор девижн, вот она действительно охуетительная, в ней есть и
    Отвратительно.

п.с в 1998(в то же время что и первая халфа) вышла игры Shogo мобил армор девижн, вот она действительно охуетительная, в ней есть и красивая графика и разнообразный геймплей и крутая стрельба, куча пасхалок, юмор, классный сюжет.
  9. Jun 16, 2016
    This was an amazing game............almost two decades ago. Don't expect so much from this game, as it can't really be compared to modern games. It's was revolutionary a long time ago and it set the standard for the fps games for a long time, but in this day and age it is nothing more than a decent game that didn't age very well.....
  10. Nov 26, 2010
    I thought that his game was a realy great game, it has a much better experience than the 2nd one, not that half life2 was bad, but this game had a pretty fun element, and a good story. A fun fps. It is definatley a classic and will not be forgotten.
  11. Feb 27, 2013
    Half-life is a solid FPS, nothing more. The gameplay progresses at a decent rate, and is fairly well balanced, but that is about all you can say for the game. The cons are that the pacing is erratic, the aesthetics (at least for the first three quarters of the game) are bland and sterile, the story (as praised as it is) is shallow, cliched and irrelevant and there is nothing particularlyHalf-life is a solid FPS, nothing more. The gameplay progresses at a decent rate, and is fairly well balanced, but that is about all you can say for the game. The cons are that the pacing is erratic, the aesthetics (at least for the first three quarters of the game) are bland and sterile, the story (as praised as it is) is shallow, cliched and irrelevant and there is nothing particularly original about the whole thing.
    I don't understand how this game (and its sequel) gets all the praise it does. I suppose it has a lot to do with the average level of FPSs at the time, which is depressing more than anything.
  12. Nov 11, 2011
    I never thought it was the game changer everyone else did but it was a good game. However most of the mods that came out of it were amazing. So for that I give it a 7 otherwise I would give it a 5.
  13. Feb 19, 2012
    I played the first 2/3rds of this game at least 4 times when I was 8 years old. Only problem is, the game glitched me out of finishing the last and likely most fun portion, so all I got was an incomplete game. At least the building up part was a lot of fun, even if the payoff was nonexistent.
  14. Nov 2, 2013
    I have never understood why people love this game so much. I've played all the "Half-Life" games currently out and all of them were mediocre to me. The story was fairly uninteresting to me and I just couldn't get into it. Anyway, the graphics (for its time) were good, the mechanics were good, and the story was... meh.
  15. Feb 3, 2011
    Ok, so, everyone, i understand all of your reasons for disliking this game. First of all, buttons. I agree, this game gets rather boring fast because of the extremely large use of buttons. But all games have their ups and downs. And graphics, its very aged. If you dont like aged graphics, wait for black mesa source to come out. Next, Vehicles, I find these very very very annoyingOk, so, everyone, i understand all of your reasons for disliking this game. First of all, buttons. I agree, this game gets rather boring fast because of the extremely large use of buttons. But all games have their ups and downs. And graphics, its very aged. If you dont like aged graphics, wait for black mesa source to come out. Next, Vehicles, I find these very very very annoying too, and i am a huge fan of half life. I prefer the later games, and the only thing that prevents me from rating this a 5 or less is the enemy variety, the final boss, and the beautiful graphics for its time. Expand
  16. Mar 27, 2017
    For me, after 19 years, Half-Life is still very playable, nowadays, often underrestimate game, with sadly not astonishing storyline and thrilling gameplay. The game's climate of secret insitution (based on 'Area 64' idea) and underground labs is perfect. I won't be saying anything about graphics since at 1998 it was delightful, however the sound quality could be definitely way better.For me, after 19 years, Half-Life is still very playable, nowadays, often underrestimate game, with sadly not astonishing storyline and thrilling gameplay. The game's climate of secret insitution (based on 'Area 64' idea) and underground labs is perfect. I won't be saying anything about graphics since at 1998 it was delightful, however the sound quality could be definitely way better. Storytelling technique was highly sophisticated since it was told more visually than in text. The game guarantees tons of action and fun. Personaly - as my favourite one - I find it the best in the series.

Quick summary:
    +perfect climate of secret institution and labs situated underground
    +very good graphics (to the standards of '98)
    +good storytelling technique
    +dynamic, full of action gameplay based on shooting creatures

-sound quality
    -despite that it got old quite good, it is still the game from previous generation
    -not astonishing story
  17. Feb 29, 2012
    This game is a OK game in my opinion and I see why people love it. I'm not doubting the quietly of the game because yes it is probably one of the PC. But I'm not really into the game, which has repetitive action sets.And a story i don't find interesting enough to carry on playing.
    But I love the character development such as G-Man and Alxy but the for the all the other character i don't care for.
    But I love, and i mean love! The moded story's modes, such as Nightmare house 2. And the fantastic first person shooter war game Counter Strike. And the well respected Sandbox, Garry's Mod which is one of the most funniest game that i have ever played. Overshadowing Half-Life 2 its self. Which ruined my first play-through for me! Because I ask myself "why am I player this when I have Garry's Mods?"
    So Half-Life 2 is a great game because if there wasn't no Half-Life there would be no Garry's Mod Or Counter Strike. But having that I would rather player Gmod than Half-Life 2.
  18. Aug 31, 2013
    I kind of like it but after a while of game play it starts to get very repetitive. Doing the same thing a lot killing an alien, solve a puzzle, kill an alien, solve a puzzle. The graphics are good on some things but not others. I would give it a 3 but it was made in 1998 which is mind boggling. Best game of the millennium (1000 years). Thanks for reading!
  19. Jul 27, 2011
    It's just OK. I found myself lost in a huge maze without ever knowing what is going on or what to do. Killing things didn't really feel satisfying and monsters came without variety. But the weapons did! I think half life 2 is a lot similar, but half life 2 just worked, I think it was just much more enjoyable.
  20. CoreyA.
    Jun 5, 2006
    This game is overrated, it's fun but I'd rather not waste my time with this when I can play HL2.
  21. DemonicAngel
    Feb 9, 2004
    Just for the fact that it showed the FPS genre was capable of much more than Quake and the like were able to deliver, I award Half-Life a 7. Now let's get down to business. The game is unfortunately very uneven, and whilst the first half is excellent, I soon found myself losing interest around the middle section of the game. The pacing really starts to suffer around this point,with Just for the fact that it showed the FPS genre was capable of much more than Quake and the like were able to deliver, I award Half-Life a 7. Now let's get down to business. The game is unfortunately very uneven, and whilst the first half is excellent, I soon found myself losing interest around the middle section of the game. The pacing really starts to suffer around this point,with too many sections where it's very unclear what you're supposed to be doing. The story, for a game that recieved so much praise for its "deep" storyline, is not developed nearly enough - we're left with just "experiment goes wrong, aliens appear, government soldiers arrive to cover it up, and you have to do something about it all", and that's more or less it. Now System Shock 2, that was a game with a fully-developed backstory that you could really sink your teeth into. With Half-Life, the story was mostly irrelevant and in itself provided little incentive to continue. In addition, the final couple of stages are nothing less than ridiculous. So overall, a game that heralded a (brief) new era for the FPS genre, but didn't quite live up to its own hype. Expand
  22. ChrisB.
    Jul 3, 2006
    The sequel provides the other 5 marks. Half Life 1 was a great game, and still is, however it proves too tedious and slow running after having played through Half Life 2 a few times.
  23. 1nSaNe!!!??
    Nov 11, 2003
    The good points of the game are the awesome story and creepy moments. The bad points are more conspicous. For example, as the game goes on it degenerates into one boring jumping or crate-pushing switch flicking puzzle after another, although it does have a great final boss.
  24. ADude
    Jul 27, 2004
    Looked very cool when it appeared, but over time you get to realize how boring it is...
  25. TimB.
    May 23, 2006
    fun game. some spots are confusing to get around. wish that shooting the guns would be more realistic.
  26. BenH.
    Oct 11, 2004
    MP is bulky slow and unrefined... how people continue to play this is beyond me.. sure it set a new standard on its DATE. but many games have surpassed it in the MP area. I can understand the score becoz of the date.. but thousands of people still playing this game online are misingout on much better MP games now. I dont hold any hopes for half life 2 being a big hit.. this one jsut got lucky.
  27. JordanP.
    Aug 29, 2004
    Let me take you back to 1998. A heated battle between the two big FPS's namely Unreal and Quake II. Now, they were good for their time, but the AI was poor and both had next to no story and little interaction with the enviroment the player was placed in. Then comes Half-Life, and it features good AI and a storyline, plus interaction. With it's features many overlooked the fact Let me take you back to 1998. A heated battle between the two big FPS's namely Unreal and Quake II. Now, they were good for their time, but the AI was poor and both had next to no story and little interaction with the enviroment the player was placed in. Then comes Half-Life, and it features good AI and a storyline, plus interaction. With it's features many overlooked the fact that all were under-developed and the game was repetitive. My point is, it's only amazing due to the timing of it's release. A good game, just overated. Expand
  28. EddieD
    Sep 13, 2009
    In it's day, this was one of the premier FPS available. Nothing else came close to the storyline and the gameplay. In the intervening years the game has become somewhat long in the tooth. Going back and playing it today I realized just how far game technology has come. I never knew just how difficult to control this game was! With modern hardware and good quality controls, this game In it's day, this was one of the premier FPS available. Nothing else came close to the storyline and the gameplay. In the intervening years the game has become somewhat long in the tooth. Going back and playing it today I realized just how far game technology has come. I never knew just how difficult to control this game was! With modern hardware and good quality controls, this game really shows its age. But comparing it with modern games isn't completely fair. If you played Doom, Quake, or other FPS in the 90's, you know how far ahead this game was. And, in a way, it still is. Just don't expect 21st century realism from a 20th century game. Expand
  29. Feb 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half Life was a good game at his age ...I try IT recently and is very boring but I still play Counter Strike and because IT was the engine of Counter Strike you can say I LOVE IT! Expand
  30. Jan 25, 2013
    I actually had a lot of fun with this game. The weapons are fair and the ammo consumption is enough to deter you from using the heavy weapons on grunts.

The only things keeping me from going higher than an 8 are the minor system discrepancies and the story. It was very confusing, but that's partially my fault for not wearing headphones. It's difficult to hear dialogue without headphones and lack of a captioning system makes it impossible to know what's going on if you're not wearing headphones.
    The saving system is also hard to work with. There was no autosave feature, so I had to force myself to save every 5 minutes or so.
    The last thing (I think this is really important) is the developer console. If you're familiar with the Source engine and the half life commands like I am, then it's just a few keystrokes to give you mac ammo/armor/health. With no achievements to deter the usage of "sv_cheats 1", this option is very appealing for those having trouble in the game.

Overall, I thought this game was great. I've replayed it about 5 times for a total of 6 playthroughs just because I like some of the combat in it. I would suggest buying this game at full price if you want it because it is worth full price.

1. It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life has done just that.
  2. The storyline runs in perfect harmony with the action and acts as a conduit not a stopgap, or a padding device. Each gaming element compliments the next and the entire presentation is nothing short of, well…dare we say it…revolutionary.
  3. PC Gamer
    This is The Big One, and it's even better than we could've hoped. [Jan 1999, p.166]