9.0

1. Jub
    Mar 2, 2015
    One of my select few 10/10 games. Gameplay, music, level design, and story are all great.

Admittedly I haven't played it in some years now but I'd wager that it's still playable even today, something that can't be said about most old games.
  2. Aug 6, 2016
    The game that made the best gaming company in the world. This classic redefined a genre, and in fact an entire industry. Although its rather dated now, go ahead and give this game a play. Its an essential piece to the gaming world we know today. The Mario of first person shooters.
  3. Nov 20, 2017
    Para aclarar, yo juegue una versión "Pirata" que estaba en español... por lo que se el audio de Steam anda perfecto así que yo solo voy a decir mis experiencias con la versión trucada jaja.

El jugo me parece que esta muy bien, su dificultad esta muy bien, si sabes como jugarlo se te hace fácil en algunas zonas, los graficos para la fecha en que salio están muy bien y la verdad que es un excelente juego para pasar el rato en tu tiempo libre o simplemente para pasarla bien.
  4. Nov 13, 2011
    One word: perfect.
    The next games haven't got the same fantastic story and gameplay!
    Only one impressed me like Half-life and it is Portal (1-2)....i love this games....LOVE!
  5. Sep 16, 2013
    Gaming perfection, resulting in the quality of gaming we know today. Map design was genius for the time, when most games lacked puzzle elements, weapon design and a.i. was also top notch. Everything from the safe feeling the start had until the ending on xen was a joy ride with constant new equipment and weapons.
  6. Jun 5, 2014
    Remember back when FPS games were like this? No iron-sights. No objective markers. No endless streams of "terrorists" running at you with their non existent AI? They were good times.

Half-Life was the most impressive game of it's time and really dropped you into the thick of it. Starting with the moment you step on the tram to head to your lab, to the cataclysmic events that unfold not 30 minutes later, you're there. It's not narrated to you or written on loading screens. Along the way, your colleagues guide you and keep you up to date with the current events. Black Mesa had a real sense of place that you could really sink your teeth into. To top it all off, it fully open source with the tools immediately available for you to get into the thick of it and make your own story?

People still develop mods for this game today, 15 years later, meaning that the play time is practically limitless.

Half-Life was and is to this day a groundbreaking game and its greatness is challenged only by it's sequel.
  7. Dec 27, 2013
    I never got to play any games from the Half Life series until this past year, then I bought my new gaming laptop and thought, "What better way to start with a game that has been deemed a classic?" and now I see why. Half Life is a game that is over 15 years old and has remarkably held up extremely well since '98. Play any current first person shooter and then play Half Life and you'llI never got to play any games from the Half Life series until this past year, then I bought my new gaming laptop and thought, "What better way to start with a game that has been deemed a classic?" and now I see why. Half Life is a game that is over 15 years old and has remarkably held up extremely well since '98. Play any current first person shooter and then play Half Life and you'll appreciate how innovative Half Life was for its time. Expand
  8. Apr 16, 2014
    One of the few gme sthat have set a standard for future games is the best FPS ever no doubt better than most games 2k14 too. Balanced weapons, even better than the other Half-Life games.....
  9. Jun 3, 2017
    Run, Think, Shoot, Live. Half-Life series is my best FPS EVER. Especially Half-Life 1? It never gets old. But if you want to play unofficial modernized Half-Life, Go play Black Mesa. Play Half-Life first, then play Black Mesa. And then, Go play Half-Life 2. EPIC saga begin!...But where is myyyyyy THREEEEEEEEEEE? 3333333?...Plz, VALVE.
  10. Dec 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Run, Think, Shoot, Live. This is still one of the greatest games i played. As the modding community for Half-Life is still very active, that made Half-Life whole. Story plot is awesome and all but, sometimes puzzles are too hard and can lead you to nowhere. But hey! That doesn't mean that the game is not cool! Expand
  11. Sep 13, 2017
    Farewell, Mister Freeman. Farewell.
    Since Half-Life 3 isn't happening, I thought I would give my opinion about this game.
    To put it simply, This game is a Masta-piece of video games.
    One of the best games ever, great story, weapons are well balanced, puzzles are challenging but fun.
  12. Aug 20, 2010
    This game blew my mind. The storyline combines puzzles, action and exploring in a perfect harmony which makes Half-Life one of the history's most important game. Still today it gives me a lot of gameplay. The multiplayer is absolutely worth a shot, especially during LAN's since on-line is not so very crowded and the people playing are veterans.
  13. Aug 23, 2011
    An excellent and classic game that belongs in the hands of all fps players and adventure lovers. Unfortunately you can not go by the negative reviews on here, because it seems that most of these people started playing games when Modern Warfare 2 came out. Coming from some one who played games since the 90's, you should not even ponder playing this game, its a classic and it will forever beAn excellent and classic game that belongs in the hands of all fps players and adventure lovers. Unfortunately you can not go by the negative reviews on here, because it seems that most of these people started playing games when Modern Warfare 2 came out. Coming from some one who played games since the 90's, you should not even ponder playing this game, its a classic and it will forever be one of your favorites Expand
  14. Oct 18, 2013
    A masterpiece and in my opinion better than HL2. It has more weapons, enemies, challenges, difficulty and all in all fun. Gordon Freeman feels more 3-D rather than an empty shell even though he's still silent, characters to hate and love, enemies to destroy and it ranges from aliens to zombies to soldiers. Really, its enjoyable for everyone. The storyline is simple, and based in a labA masterpiece and in my opinion better than HL2. It has more weapons, enemies, challenges, difficulty and all in all fun. Gordon Freeman feels more 3-D rather than an empty shell even though he's still silent, characters to hate and love, enemies to destroy and it ranges from aliens to zombies to soldiers. Really, its enjoyable for everyone. The storyline is simple, and based in a lab rather than in a city like HL2. It also gives some backstory on HL2 in the ending. Weapons are wide-ranged and for the 90's the graphics are top notch. Go play it, you might not LOVE it but you'll still enjoy. Expand
  15. Jan 21, 2014
    This stands as one of my favorite games of all time. It is enthralling as well as challenging. There were a few parts that were really difficult to figure out the puzzle, but once you got it you felt instant gratification. It has a very unique way of telling a story, and if you're not careful you could miss it. Overall I will remember this game with a lot of fond memories.
  16. Oct 9, 2014
    I liked this one, but Half Life 2 blew my mind. The storytelling is quite good here, the maps are very well edited. The graphics looks dated today but overall it's quite OK. A very innovative and enjoyable FPS, one of the most obvious classics of the genre
  17. Oct 18, 2016
    The second best game ever made (The first is being Half-Life 2.). A masterpiece. A revelationary for it's time. Old but gold. Do I need to say more???
  18. Apr 10, 2017
    Even though its graphics may not have aged to well, it is still one of the most important shooters of all time, and serves to remind us just how terrible games are becoming nowadays.
  19. Aug 18, 2012
    I just want to know those 26 idiots and 100 retards who gave a low score to such gaming gem. I hope they're just 10 years old kids, in that case it's ok, but if they're adult people I really have shame for them.
  20. Aug 23, 2010
    Half-Life is simply magnificent. It has a easy to very hard difficulty for each of it's levels. I do have to say though, they need to give you less ammo. Enemies can be easy and hard. It is a great game for it's time and even for today. I have to recommend it to everybody.
  21. Oct 23, 2010
    This is a great game to play. Lots of hours, lots of thrills, plenty of challenges. The story line is pretty good, too. This game can be replayed and still be found very enjoyable. You can move at a fast pace, or take your time. I find that very enjoyable. I get tired of some games where you have to run break neck speed through the whole process. I think there should be more games likeThis is a great game to play. Lots of hours, lots of thrills, plenty of challenges. The story line is pretty good, too. This game can be replayed and still be found very enjoyable. You can move at a fast pace, or take your time. I find that very enjoyable. I get tired of some games where you have to run break neck speed through the whole process. I think there should be more games like this. Half Life 2 is good, too but way too fast paced for me to thoroughly enjoy playing it. Expand
  22. Mar 14, 2011
    One of the finest and best games out there. It's even better than it's sequel, despite the fact that the graphics and engine is updated in Half-Life 2, what I like about the game is the atmosphere, the gameplay, the storyline (even though I didn't finish the game yet), the style, and the characters. What I don't get about the characters though is there are thousands of Barneys, butOne of the finest and best games out there. It's even better than it's sequel, despite the fact that the graphics and engine is updated in Half-Life 2, what I like about the game is the atmosphere, the gameplay, the storyline (even though I didn't finish the game yet), the style, and the characters. What I don't get about the characters though is there are thousands of Barneys, but whatever. People said this game changed the face of FPSes, it did pretty well on that goal. Expand
  23. Jul 30, 2011
    Surely PC games were made before this, but PC games didn't truly exist until this was made. This is the messiah of PC gaming. This is everything. I have barely even played this, but I can confirm this as true.
  24. Aug 16, 2011
    the low critics from 2005 to 2011 are becouse you didnt play the game when this came out, and you are a noob. this game is still an EXCELLENT GAME, this game has everything...you will have fun always, and, for playing hl2, you must play this masterpiece!!
  25. Mar 11, 2012
    For 1998 this is a very good game with great graphics. (For the date.) What I can't stand is the voice acting, which kills me, but yet again it's a VERY old game and this is what old games were like. It deserves a such high score because Valve was a success with this series, and has always been a success. Remember, for the old date of this game, it's a good game. Everyone who is ratingFor 1998 this is a very good game with great graphics. (For the date.) What I can't stand is the voice acting, which kills me, but yet again it's a VERY old game and this is what old games were like. It deserves a such high score because Valve was a success with this series, and has always been a success. Remember, for the old date of this game, it's a good game. Everyone who is rating this down due to it's graphics or sound by a lot, is obviously not a old school gamer and use to good graphics.
    Great game.
  26. Aug 25, 2012
    Half Life. One of the games that revolutionized the FPS genre. It has a good story, great gameplay and good graphics (for that time). The protagonist, Gordon Freeman, has no defined personality, but I guess Valve wanted the player to imagine what Gordon says and thinks throughout the game. A bit repetitive with it's puzzles, but it shouldn't hinder you from having fun with it.
  27. Jun 18, 2012
    For a game made in 1998; it's quite impressive. Story line is unique and keeps the player wanting more. Graphics are a bit more advanced than most game's in the 90's. Completely worth the time and money, especially if your'e a fan of the half-life series.
  28. Nov 5, 2013
    This game revolutionized what a single player fps could be. It's packed from start to finish with some of the most enjoyable gameplay in the genre. A true masterpiece in the art.
  29. Jan 24, 2014
    This game is a work of art. Playing through the amazing story of the Black Mesa breakdown and surviving the horrors within is amazing. For 1998, the gameplay mechanics and over all game was and still is revolutionary. As far as being and FPS, this game is not your typical "Hide, Shoot, Run", it requires thinking and patients, which is rare for an FPS, and still brings action. One of theThis game is a work of art. Playing through the amazing story of the Black Mesa breakdown and surviving the horrors within is amazing. For 1998, the gameplay mechanics and over all game was and still is revolutionary. As far as being and FPS, this game is not your typical "Hide, Shoot, Run", it requires thinking and patients, which is rare for an FPS, and still brings action. One of the greatest games in history. I recommend for anyone who loves video games. Expand
  30. Jun 11, 2016
    I started playing HL when i was a kid. After those years i'm still playing that awesome story-driven adventure FPS.Well the graphics are outdated after 18 years but hey you can download and play the HL Sourse version.
  31. May 22, 2016
    Clasico de Valve .En el que Ocupamos el Lugar Del cientifico de black mesa Gordon Freeman.
    Half-Life narra las aventuras de Gordon Freeman, un investigador del Laboratorio de Materiales Anómalos del Centro de Investigación Black Mesa, un enorme complejo científico subterráneo y ultra secreto instalado en una base militar en desuso emplazada en el desierto de Nuevo México.
    A Favor:

A Favor:
    -Contamos con una muy buena Historia.
    -Buenas Armas.
    -Buena Ambientacion /Buenos Mapas.
    -IA enemigo Decente
    -Excelente Optimizacion.

En contra:
    -La IA de Tus amigos (Mililtares,Cientificos,Guardias) es bastante mala ya que se quedan atorados la mayoria de la veces
    -Contiene Algunos Bugs por ejemplo el bug del ascensor en power up.

Puntuacion
  32. Jul 26, 2017
    WAY better then HL2 in every way, better shooting, originality, level design and mechanics. My only complaint's the Xen exists but at the time it wasn't THAT bad.
  33. Sep 16, 2010
  34. Sep 21, 2012
    At this point, you can just get Black Mesa for free and have done with it. Black Mesa gets a 9/10 because it's not without its bugs and annoyances, but it surpasses HL1 on quite a few fronts.
  35. Aug 1, 2011
    This is far away the best shooter from history of games. Everything changes since its was made.

If you like shooters from todays, you got to know this game!

So, i dont need to explain about the great gameplay, grade awsome context, everything was nice.

GOrdon Freeman is the greatest hero of all times and, he dont need do say a word..
  36. Jan 14, 2012
    Half-life is an amazing game. It defined storytelling in FPS games (and probably other genres too). It's FPS combat was masterful. The graphics, while outdated in this day and age, were excellent for it's time and are still excellent. It's a great combination of modern and futuristic warfare with militants and aliens. Well done Valve. Well done.
  37. Feb 27, 2013
    Half life...There are so much adjetives to describe this game but it will take longer than 5000 characters because it not only got some good graphics, animation, argument (a distant feature in fps games) but its got all it can get. A perfect game that will not be forgotten....
  38. Jan 23, 2015
    this game is beautifull, one of the best games ever made great story. All is amazing 10/10 100/100 this game is for pro players (Best game ever). i love half life
  39. Jan 26, 2013
    One of the mile stones for PC Gaming production. Was one of the best innovative game for it's time - especially for game-play IF, graphic and innovative Map design_ In 1998, was really a big jump that has setted new standards in FPS/Game making at least for subsequent 5 years!
  40. Feb 16, 2014
    This is classic I love it, I played it for 18 hours for my first play through and now I'm on my second and I am now 3 more hours in. It is still amazing, it has definitely stood the test of time.
  41. Mar 26, 2014
    Up to this day, there hasn't been a game that would drop my jaw lower. Every single part about this game was and is enjoyable, from the great gameplay all the way to the story or the music, which beautifully enhances the atmosphere of all the locations you have a chance to visit. A 10/10 must, one of the best gaming experience you can find even today.
  42. Mar 21, 2017
    This is one of my all time favorite games,
    this game stays strong, I play and finish it at least once every 2 years,
    the classic one, its a great game, and to be fair even the graphics although very old, still hold up someone!
    its not that ugly that it hurts your eye is what i mean!
    best game every! give us HL3 valve!! plz!
  43. Jul 22, 2016
    A game that arouses my passion for chemistry. The first time I played I was not bored for a second. An original and incredible argument that I do not seem to go very far from reality. They tell us that it could happen any day in the 51 area (Black Mesa in game).
  44. Jun 23, 2011
    Half Life for me is truly a brilliant game. The level designs were impeccable for its day, and, yes there may be no dialogue, but could you imagine Gordon Freeman speaking?

The weaponry was well placed, due to the best weaponry (Experimental) being placed near the end, with the ammo for the heavy guns particulate not being laden all over, but in places that were believable, and scarce enough so that they couldn't simply be spammed over and over.
  45. Dec 4, 2010
    This is a good game, everyone who is a REAL gamer knows what Half Life is and respects it for being an important piece of video game history. However, it is well known that first person shooters do not age well, that is all that is keeping this game from being a 10 in my eyes. So instead of purchasing this game, it may be worth the wait to download a copy of Black Mesa Source (aThis is a good game, everyone who is a REAL gamer knows what Half Life is and respects it for being an important piece of video game history. However, it is well known that first person shooters do not age well, that is all that is keeping this game from being a 10 in my eyes. So instead of purchasing this game, it may be worth the wait to download a copy of Black Mesa Source (a independent source engine remake of the original Half Life) to play the old fashioned shooter and puzzle action in a restored modern glory. Expand
  46. Aug 22, 2011
    Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best gameBest game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever.Best game ever. Expand
  47. Nov 8, 2011
    Half-Life is truly one of the most iconic and memorable first person shooters in existence. The immersion is masterfully executed, and the moment you get on the monorail to Black Mesa, the game does all that it can do in it's power to thrust you into a dynamic and changing environment. A lack of cut-scenes prevents gameplay break, so the player is constantly on his toes in a desperate bidHalf-Life is truly one of the most iconic and memorable first person shooters in existence. The immersion is masterfully executed, and the moment you get on the monorail to Black Mesa, the game does all that it can do in it's power to thrust you into a dynamic and changing environment. A lack of cut-scenes prevents gameplay break, so the player is constantly on his toes in a desperate bid for survival. Graphics are solid for it's time, but have definitely aged. Shooting is fun and intuitive, and the game heaps a truckload of interesting and varied weapons for you to use. Boss fights play out like puzzles, challenging you to find their weaknesses. Sadly, the only thing that soils this game is the Xen stages at the very end, a commonly cited complaint for this game. The complete change in atmosphere and tone comes suddenly after hours in Black Mesa, a jarring experience for many. Thankfully, the last boss manages to be interesting enough in it's own right.

Half-Life remains a solid gaming experience for any gamer looking for that extra challenge.
  48. Oct 2, 2012
    The iconic game Half-life made by valve is a must-play game. Its graphic hols up to this day and the gameplay is amazing. A great story-line which is delivered by a great number of subtle hints instead of interrupting in-game videos showing how the story progresses. Revolutionary in its time and a great inspiration for other classics, this game is definitely worth a try 10/10.
  49. May 1, 2013
    Half-life was and still is a great PC games, although it lacks the graphics, it's still the horror experience that was promised! I enjoyed every bit of it and the chills every time I played through the dark, quite, alien infested environment that gave you surprises lurking around every corner! Now this is what I call an FPS classic!
  50. Jul 9, 2013
    One of the best games ever made. EVEN NOW YEARS AFTER IT IS MADE, PLAY IT nuff said. the only bad thing about the game is the ladder climbing is really obnoxious
  51. Nov 5, 2013
    horrible game, the graphix are bad, you cant aim down sights, its plagued with bugs (i fell out of the train in the beginning by jumping), no perks, no playable servers or cool maps, cant play with an xbox360 controller (cause fps console gaming is superior for obvious reasons), i couldnt paint a rainbow or d**k on my gun
  52. Feb 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game that started the beautiful series of Half-Life. This game is a true treasure of it's period. For a game released in 1998, it was almost Next Generation. If you every say this game was bad, you obviously don't have a good taste for games. I suggest you buy the the Half-Life complete pack and play the entire series.
    IN A NUTSHELL: Follow the adventures of Gordon Freeman as he escapes the Black Mesa Research Facility in New Mexico. During the path you will encounter 3 armed aliens, acid spitting bulls, barnacles, and heavily armed soldiers.
  53. Jun 22, 2014
    Half-Life 1 is still what we thought it was: the best game of the century. Nothing may surpass the ingenuity, the genius of VALVe while making that game. The gameplay is revolutionary, the map design is wonderful, the split between puzzle and fight is excellent to ensure a comfortable playthrough.
    There is no way you may think this is a FPS; this is the ancestor of modern ones. Doom unraveled a new genre, Half-Life perfected it.
    It made it.

This is art, in all of its forms. I can't simply say else.
  54. Sep 29, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic game, great game play and an amazing story. This game leaves everything to you, instead of using a bunch of nonsense cut-scene to tell the story, you actually have to interact with the NPCs to understand the story. I can promise you that the game will not ever get boring because you are constantly introduced to new concepts. Unfortunately it is an old game and youAn absolutely fantastic game, great game play and an amazing story. This game leaves everything to you, instead of using a bunch of nonsense cut-scene to tell the story, you actually have to interact with the NPCs to understand the story. I can promise you that the game will not ever get boring because you are constantly introduced to new concepts. Unfortunately it is an old game and you modern "gamers" will just complain all day long about the graphics and how it is way harder and take way more skills than your new "games", its OK you just have a primitive brain. Expand
  55. Apr 4, 2015
    The brilliant story that half life had, was first starting off as being gorden Freeman, coming to work late, he walks down to hope into his HEV suit that he will wear to fight alien and kill soldiers. it's time to choose!
  56. Nov 22, 2017
    What a classic. The game that changed gaming forever. Still nothing has lived up to its glory. I wounder why? It should be easy to make videogames but i guess its harder then it looks.
  57. Jan 6, 2011
    This game, back when I first played it, came to me as a surprise. The depth of the story coupled with length of the game was like reading a novel. Sure, at some points I died so many times it was ridiculous, but that's okay. I played for days before beating it and the ending left me with a smile. Gordon Freeman started nerds on the track of supremacy in combat. Anyways, the gameplay wasThis game, back when I first played it, came to me as a surprise. The depth of the story coupled with length of the game was like reading a novel. Sure, at some points I died so many times it was ridiculous, but that's okay. I played for days before beating it and the ending left me with a smile. Gordon Freeman started nerds on the track of supremacy in combat. Anyways, the gameplay was solid, there were parts that I had to do over because it glitched out on me or I missed something. But all in all, worth a play through while we hold our breath for Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Expand
  58. Jan 25, 2011
    Half Life is an amazing game. Valve didn't lie when they say that combines great storytelling with intense action. They put you in the skin of a mute main character, and the story is a masterpiece, which triggers a series of game with twists and confusion . And what a powerful engine, 12 years ago i was totally amazed, adn i'm still today, thinking it. It's the game that you must play inHalf Life is an amazing game. Valve didn't lie when they say that combines great storytelling with intense action. They put you in the skin of a mute main character, and the story is a masterpiece, which triggers a series of game with twists and confusion . And what a powerful engine, 12 years ago i was totally amazed, adn i'm still today, thinking it. It's the game that you must play in this generation. Expand
  59. Aug 21, 2011
    Half-Life is a great game developed by a genius corporation which was about 8 years ahead of it's time.
    Great storyline, the graphics with design are fun don't forget it had the best game-play you had ever seen.
    Once you got off of that monorail you were able to put yourself in situations you would never forget!
  60. Jan 23, 2012
    Half Life is an amazing game that has very few flaws. The games mapping is very good and almost every level looks unique and different. Id give that a 9.5. The Graphics for the time were amazing, now days they aren't very special but i'd give them a 10 out of 10 like they were given back in 1998. The sound is really good for the most part, there are a few lines of dialogue from people thatHalf Life is an amazing game that has very few flaws. The games mapping is very good and almost every level looks unique and different. Id give that a 9.5. The Graphics for the time were amazing, now days they aren't very special but i'd give them a 10 out of 10 like they were given back in 1998. The sound is really good for the most part, there are a few lines of dialogue from people that sound to fake, but as for alien howls and guns going off there great. 9.5 out of 10. As for the game play its very good for the most part. The wide variety of enemies from small little headcrabs to soldiers working as a team are great, a few boss fights and platforming sections later in the game bring this score down to a 9.7 out of 10. The final part for my review is the story and what a story it has. While i wont go to deep into a detail about it, here is a small rundown aliens are attacking earth and you need to escape the base black mesa. The best part of this game is its told entirely from the players point of view and there is not a single cut scene in the whole game. Expand
  61. Mar 3, 2012
    The best game ever, along with Zelda, Goldeneye, Deus ex, Metal gear, FF7 and (insert your favourite MMORPG here). Basically. Showing it's age but if you download the 'HD' version with nicer visuals, it's still worth a play. Lets hope the endless sequels of today wind down and quality original games become the norm again.
  62. May 24, 2012
    This is the best game i have ever played, yes kids "old" games are sometimes better than the actual games, if you think that a game it's great just for it's graphics there's something wrong with you.
    if it wasn't for games like Half-life, Doom and Wolfenstein 3d, games like call of duty or halo would have never existed, that's it we owe all FPS games to Half-life, Doom and Wolfenstein 3d.
  63. Mar 15, 2017
    An example of what a game should look like. Many developers have learned from this Half Life and apply their schemes today.
    Widely recommended, and with a guideline of ten.
  64. Apr 20, 2013
    A game from 1998 still kicks some newer games' asses! Good old times playing this game! I've enjoyed every single bit of it, good environments, great story line, not that much variety of NPCs or Aliens though its enough. Its funny how it actually costs more than HL2 but well, its really worth it.
  65. Jun 7, 2013
    Classic, all I can say is that Valve has brought the world something Magnificent and that sparked off later First Person Shooters such as Halo, Area 51, and even changed how Quake played. Not to mention the numerous mods such as Counter Strike, Team Fortress and Day of Defeat. The graphics were great for it's time, gameplay was fresh and orginial, and to top it all off, it was a gameClassic, all I can say is that Valve has brought the world something Magnificent and that sparked off later First Person Shooters such as Halo, Area 51, and even changed how Quake played. Not to mention the numerous mods such as Counter Strike, Team Fortress and Day of Defeat. The graphics were great for it's time, gameplay was fresh and orginial, and to top it all off, it was a game devolpers very first game. Half-Life cannot be missed by an PC Gamer and is still a must own for 2013, Please people, spend your money on the Half-Life series, support the Valve so they can give us other great titles like this. Expand
  66. Jul 17, 2013
    Lets be honest here this game is outdated in many ways (graphics and sound), but the gameplay and storyline still makes Half Life fun almost 15 years after its release. If you enjoyed one of the other Half Life for the magnificent story and the challenges rather than the graphics, then I would highly recommend buying Half-Life.
  67. Sep 11, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece that can be considered the best of all time. Nothing can even come close to the impact that this game made for the entire world. This single handily created the modern FPS genre. Sure Doom and Duke Nukem 3D were good, but Half Life made it a story, not a mindless shooting frenzy. If you are looking for that, then this game will be semi unpleasing for you. If youThis game is a masterpiece that can be considered the best of all time. Nothing can even come close to the impact that this game made for the entire world. This single handily created the modern FPS genre. Sure Doom and Duke Nukem 3D were good, but Half Life made it a story, not a mindless shooting frenzy. If you are looking for that, then this game will be semi unpleasing for you. If you are looking for a great game with a great story line and combat, then this game will satisfy your needs easily. Expand
  68. May 23, 2015
    While it was a bit revolutionary in its times with more variety and puzzles, it lacks in one key element: satisfaction from using weapons. Some enemies, while being human are bullet sponges. Sometimes you spend a minute or two blasting one mutant in face until it falls.
  69. Nov 10, 2015
    Proof that some older titles still hold up today, good visuals, good engine, and great gameplay, a great launch for Valve back in '96. I defiantly recommend it and the expansions, it's worth the buy on Steam.
  70. Jul 19, 2016
    There is a 150 character minimum for reviews. If your review contains spoilers, please check the Spoiler box. Please do not use ALL CAPS. There is no linking or other HTML allowed. Your review may be edited for content.
  71. Oct 14, 2016
    There is nothing to say. Every time when new Valve title is published - it is a new word in game development. Every game contains unique game mechanic, graphic, interesting story. When I see that the new Vale game is published I know - the industry today increments its life cycle.
  72. Feb 13, 2017
    Ademas de ser un juego de culto que marco un antes y un despues en los videojuegos, Half Life es un videjuego con una historia atrapante y que al dia de hoy se sigue jugando muchisimo.
    Graficos: 8/10 (Basados en los de la epoca)
    Jugabilidad/Mecanicas: 9/10
    Dificultad: 10/10
    Banda sonora/Sonidos 10/10
    IA: 8/10

Calificacion final: 9/10
    PD: Jugarlo si o si: Juego de culto.
  73. Dec 26, 2017
    Great game by Valve Software, innovation of 1998 and, this good and now. Story about Gordon Freeman. 20+ years old. New-Mexico. Black Mesa.
  74. Dec 31, 2010
    The creation of a series of games that surpass any game out there. It's just an amazing game that has different twists to it(ex) when they teleport to space and to Xen. It is truly a masterpiece that created a new aspect on video games. Best FPS ever.
  75. Jul 26, 2012
    This game will forever be among my personal favorites. Great story and amazing gameplay, the environments and maps are well designed and the sound is great. Had a lot of fun.
  76. Sep 8, 2011
    I've played all the Half-Life games since the first and Each and every one is AMAZING! I just cant get enough of it! I Can't wait until Episode 3! I
  77. Dec 18, 2011
    This is the first person shooter of the century. It is the greatest. Graphics are amazing for the time period (1990s) and the gameplay is so innovative. Valve is a great company. They haven't released a disappointing game yet. It is the reason for the word 'perfect'. Definitely recommend to everyone.
  78. May 19, 2012
    Half-Life is to the FPS what Homo Habilis is to man: yes it's a has-been, but it was a necessary pivotal step to get to where we are now, and perfect during its time.
  79. May 24, 2012
    I downloaded the demo when this first came out with no real expectations and it was one of a kind and insanely good! It looked and played excellent on my 133mhz 16meg ram and 2 meg graphics card computer... The best thing about Half Life was it's unique atmosphere which every element of the game contributed to.
  80. Jun 11, 2012
    This game is where it all began. No, it may not be as fancy and adventurous as some of the new games coming out, but if you want to sit down with a classic, here's the one. It's challenging, creative, full of options, pretty well balanced for it's age, and it gets you to think outside the -orange- box, haha.
  81. Jul 19, 2012
    The Half-life1 Series of games are storytelling masterpieces!
    Still the best fps games ive ever played,There Gameplay/puzzles/Atmosphere really set the mold for all modern fps.
  82. Jul 24, 2013
    I first bought this game because I heard so many good things about it that I HAD to see it for myself. The first thing that hit me (playing it in 2013) was the graphics (produced 1998). I laughed a bit at the graphics at the beginning, but I don't think I thought about them again after the 10 minute mark. At all. I became so immersed in the story that I didn't have any spare thoughts toI first bought this game because I heard so many good things about it that I HAD to see it for myself. The first thing that hit me (playing it in 2013) was the graphics (produced 1998). I laughed a bit at the graphics at the beginning, but I don't think I thought about them again after the 10 minute mark. At all. I became so immersed in the story that I didn't have any spare thoughts to give. I launched it expecting to play an hour, but was surprised when 3 o'clock rolled around and I hadn't eaten anything! The very next day, I started it up telling myself I wouldn't let that happen again. The story kept my full attention and I had to be called for dinner. At that moment I realized, after making me do nothing but game on that one game all day, two days in a row(which I try never to let happen), that Half Life was exactly what everyone told me it would be. After thinking about it for a bit, I have decided that it is one of the best single-player games I have ever played, if not for but everything other than the graphics (which doesn't even matter, after one stops obsessing over them and remember exactly when it was made).

One thing that I was really impressed about was the variety of weapons one found. For me, in different situations I liked to whip out Weapon X to confront Guy A and then switch to Weapon Y to finish off Alien B, or altogether stay back and pick them off with Weapon Z. I also impressed with the amount of ammo you get throughout the duration of the game. Half Life seems to give you just enough ammo for Favorite Gun X that you have to pick and choose when you want to use it while still allowing you to use it when you want without fear that you will be left defenseless. I leaves you with exactly enough to get by a point in the game to make you FEEL that you might run out.

My favorite thing about Half Life is its adrenaline moments. This game keeps you on your feet the entire time. Aliens can teleport in at any time, you walk around a corner and you are assaulted on all sides, an unseen headcrab jumps at your face, something completely unexpected happens. You can never take any little task for granted in this game; if something happens normally a two or three times, its a prime target for some sort of unexpected jump.

The negative reviews seem to all say the same thing: Bad graphics, how they don't understand the story, and that the character movement is difficult to manage. To enjoy the game, you have to let go of the graphics. Simple as that. If you are one of those guys that won't even touch a game that has bad graphics, you can download Source SDK Base 2007 and the free mod Black Mesa (It is basically the same story, minor changes, newer graphics, but it is not made by Valve nor does it have the end portion of the game). The story is not exactly explained to you like a storyteller is explaining it to you, but instead you have to deduce from what you are asked to do in the game and the results of those actions what exactly is happening. If you did not understand why you did a certain task, I would suggest looking up the chapter you just completed (it says whenever you save on the list of loads which chapter you are on) on the internet. I know I missed at least one thing while playing this game, and it really helps keep the game enjoyable and understandable as you progress. Now, for some reason people are complaining about how hard it is to jump across a pit of *insert miserable object here* or how they can't use ladders, falling to their death in either case. This game does have its very short and subtle moments of parkour, but it is only difficult if you make it difficult. For these moments I can only tell you to jump at the last moment or look around to see if there is another way around/another jumping point. Lastly, the WASD keys are automatically set to a "Run" or "Jog" type of action. To climb down a ladder in real life, you wouldn't RUN down the ladder, would you? There is a "Walk" key--normally bound to SHIFT, where you can approach the ladder as one would in real life; walking carefully and accessing it full on and not an angle.

After addressing a good 80% of the reviews, lets take a look at the numbers now. As of today, 1826 people thoroughly enjoyed this game. 34 people were pretty OK with this game, but generally had some problems with it. 108 people (80 of which I have addressed) did not like the game at all. That leaves 28 people who just didn't like the game because they were not that into it legitimately (which I can totally accept). 28 out of 1968 people on Metacritic did not like this game for reasons that are unchangeable. If that trend continues for whoever reads this and is wondering if they should get Half Life, you have a 98.577% chance(1940 people who liked the game 1968 total people) of liking this game(rating it 5 or higher) or a 92.785% chance (1826 people 1968 total people) of enjoying this game a lot(rating it a 7 or higher). I'd say those are good odds.
  83. Oct 6, 2012
    Half-life is a timeless, genre re-defining classic that will forever serve as an influential template for first person shooters. It has served as a manifesto for countless FPS's in the last decade and a half and raised the storytelling medium to unprecedented heights.
  84. Aug 31, 2013
    Wonderful game, lots of mods, at a low price?! The answer, YES! This game delivers on a massive scale, having lots of awards and praise for it being the first game Valve ever released!

Pros: -Very influential and unique story and concepts -Extremely moddable, great mods out there -Obscure and cool weapons, such as the Egon and the Tau Cannon. -Still being supported in the modding

Pros:
    -Very influential and unique story and concepts
    -Extremely moddable, great mods out there
    -Obscure and cool weapons, such as the Egon and the Tau Cannon.
    -Still being supported in the modding community.
    -The graphics are a little dated, but still hold up today.
    -10+ hours of gameplay (unlike some games today)
    -Good sound design for the technology back then.
    -Very affordable, ONLY $10 in the US!

Cons:
    -It gets a little repetitive towards the end.
    -It does not hold up well today, since it is so influential.
    -The boss is a bit too long and tedious.
    -Loading screens everywhere, but this is not such a big problem, since with computers
    now can breeze through the loading process
    -Some of the puzzles are easy to figure out and are not challenging.
    -The voice acting is nothing special.

Those are all the pros and cons that I can list off of the top of my head. I am sure there are more things to list, but overall, this game is great! Buy it! It is very cheap!
  85. Nov 23, 2013
    This game is near perfect, it has changed the fps genre forever, with no doubt. The Black Mesa facility is truly a maze, and the xen levels...MY GOD THE XEN levels were amazing. This is a near perfect game!
  86. Dec 4, 2013
    A great game! Great story line, great characters, what more could you want?! The graphics are bad but remember this game is over a decade old so don't let the graphics fool you. I didn't want to try it out that much because of the graphics but when I did I was hooked.
  87. Dec 7, 2013
    This game is so awsome and it's so original!! Don't be annoyed by the graphics,you can install a mod or download a HD pack for better weapons quality and characters(like I did). The only sad thing about this game is that is a Linear game but I don't think it would look very nice with some sandbox options. First of all,you may think through the game that is boring and you should stopThis game is so awsome and it's so original!! Don't be annoyed by the graphics,you can install a mod or download a HD pack for better weapons quality and characters(like I did). The only sad thing about this game is that is a Linear game but I don't think it would look very nice with some sandbox options. First of all,you may think through the game that is boring and you should stop playing but when I finished the game and realized that I was only a scientist at the beggining of the game and later on I realized it was just awsome!!! I would give it a 9/10! Expand
  88. Dec 25, 2013
    I highly recommend this game. It was simply a phenomenal gaming experience. Vault created one heck of a story line as well as killer pulse pounding scenes throughout. The only flaw the ridiculously slow grenade throws.
  89. Mar 2, 2014
    Okay, so it's 1998. A new game is on the shelves under the name of Half Life, from a new Valve company. You pick it up, buy it, then load it up. You find yourself at a computer playing a game where you are on a train going through a facility. Then just as you start a test.... BAM. Everything goes wrong. Now you are Gordon Freeman, a theoretical scientist escaping the ruins of Black Mesa.Okay, so it's 1998. A new game is on the shelves under the name of Half Life, from a new Valve company. You pick it up, buy it, then load it up. You find yourself at a computer playing a game where you are on a train going through a facility. Then just as you start a test.... BAM. Everything goes wrong. Now you are Gordon Freeman, a theoretical scientist escaping the ruins of Black Mesa.

Would like to note that the game is a little glitchy, but remember it's 1998 ;)
    Great game. WPOAOAOASOSOSF.

(Would Play Over And Over And Over And So On So Forth)
  90. Mar 7, 2014
    ple who play this game will last a life time in there hearts because this game still ROCKs all others ever made for the PC Valve i love your Work! please keep kickin ass on the best game series you have made in the Year
  91. Apr 16, 2014
    Half Life is one of the best FPS in all of history. Half-Life made in 1999 BEATS some games made in 2013 (COD) there is actually an interesting story line. Gordon Freeman a theoretical physicist that knows how to shoot zombies with a shotgun take that rednecks your not the only one. The map design, level design, and weapon design is OUTSTANDING. (Love the spaz-12) this the first and maybeHalf Life is one of the best FPS in all of history. Half-Life made in 1999 BEATS some games made in 2013 (COD) there is actually an interesting story line. Gordon Freeman a theoretical physicist that knows how to shoot zombies with a shotgun take that rednecks your not the only one. The map design, level design, and weapon design is OUTSTANDING. (Love the spaz-12) this the first and maybe the best game valve has made. Yes graphics are outdated and yes AI are a bit clumsy and walk in linear ways at times but you can look over that and still IT WAS MADE IN 1999 and if you want an updated version get black mesa source - that's for the pusses who care so much about graphics. Overall this is a GREAT fps and I would play this game before you die great job valve I give this a 97/100 Expand
  92. Oct 14, 2014
    This is the second-greatest game of all time, just slipping shy of it's successor Half-Life 2.

Despite being dated (1998) the graphics are amazing for their time, and despite the textures on the original not being high-resolution, the game still scales to 1080p perfectly and remains crisp and sharp. Although the textures themselves are obviously dated, the atmosphere that the team have created for Half-Life is wonderful. The into cinematic scene is still possibly the best introductory sequence of any game ever to date. It draws you into the world that is Half-Life, and you feel right at home from the start. The characters speak with you, address you by name, involve you in conversations among themselves, and even those who are not needed for the game to proceed will acknowledge you; something even most modern titles fail to do. The story-telling is excellent, moving transitionally from chapter to chapter without the need for annoying cut-scenes or sequences or flashbacks. Because of this, you're truly immersed in the gameplay since you are never distracted or removed from the first-person view at any time. The dialogue is incredible, the story is immaculate, and the gameplay is fantastic. The puzzles, enemies, friends and allies, and sound effects, the charm; this game set the bar for almost every first person shooter. The only thing which makes this game sub-par to Half-Life 2 is two minor things; the graphical limitations (which I know is unfair, since we are comparing a 6-year technology gap) and the controls. The control system itself is fine, but the movement can at times be notoriously difficult as there is no option to move slowly. Also, targeting small enemies can be difficult with firearms weapons at times. These are so minor, that it is not enough to shave a mark off the final score, as this game is near-on perfect. You NEED to play this game, and if you haven't already, you need to play Half-Life 2 after playing this. Best two games in the world.
  93. Jan 28, 2015
    "When I first saw the trailer for this, I saw that it had good graphics. When I bought it only played it for like the first stage before realising how terrible the graphics are. I don't care how long ago this game was made, graphics matter more than anything in a game."
    I couldn't possibly disagree more with you!
  94. Jun 13, 2015
    One of the greatest First Person Shooters ever made.Just loses to his sequel,Half Life 2.Good history,great level design and fun challenge.Still fun to play even today.
  95. Nov 22, 2015
    A masterpiece by Valve. One of the best game game I've ever played. Story line of the game is great, way more better than those games with beautiful graphic but terrible story line. And now i am still waiting for Half-life 3
  96. Oct 11, 2016
    One of the best games, if not the best game I ever played, great AI for its time, takes you into a new world, the story is so deep that 4 games did not even get close into finishing it
    This game is what games should be, perfect in every way, almost 20 years and this game is still playable.
  97. May 14, 2017
    Każdy z nas ma swoją grę życia, w moim wypadku jest nią właśnie Half-Life. Gdy zagrałem w nią pierwszy raz, zakochałem się. Sugestywny klimat zaszczucia i walki o przetrwanie, czułem że to ja walczę o wydostanie się z kompleksu Black Mesa. To dzięki Half-Life-owi pierwszy raz posmakowałem gry FPS i to dzięki niemu uwielbiam ten gatunek do dziś. Nie bez powodu gra nazywana jest "graKażdy z nas ma swoją grę życia, w moim wypadku jest nią właśnie Half-Life. Gdy zagrałem w nią pierwszy raz, zakochałem się. Sugestywny klimat zaszczucia i walki o przetrwanie, czułem że to ja walczę o wydostanie się z kompleksu Black Mesa. To dzięki Half-Life-owi pierwszy raz posmakowałem gry FPS i to dzięki niemu uwielbiam ten gatunek do dziś. Nie bez powodu gra nazywana jest "gra wszechczasów".

Polecam.
  98. Jun 20, 2017
    This is great for anyone wanting a sci-fi game that is not overrated like Halo or Metroid, And come on, You have to admit the graphics were awesome for a 1998 game! This game is amazing, Enough said. 10/10.
  99. Aug 7, 2017
    This game is simply perfect. From the story- in which a test lab failure at the fictional Blackmesa Research Facility blows up the facility, leaving the protagonist Gordon Freeman to escape. He must face many challenges, such as marines sent to clean out the place, and kill any survivors. The gameplay is executed extremely well, which likely explains why it has gotten Game of the Year 4This game is simply perfect. From the story- in which a test lab failure at the fictional Blackmesa Research Facility blows up the facility, leaving the protagonist Gordon Freeman to escape. He must face many challenges, such as marines sent to clean out the place, and kill any survivors. The gameplay is executed extremely well, which likely explains why it has gotten Game of the Year 4 times (1998-2002). I don't know what else to say, as the community says it for me. Just an extra check for you; the fan base is very good, and holds up much better than say, the FNAF, Undertale, or Sonic the Hedgehog fandoms. It's a good game indeed, so good it got a patch 19 years after release from Valve. Expand
  100. GrigoryT
    Jan 2, 2010
    Half-Life was the thirst game I've ever played. And now I've realised that it was only GAME.

1. It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life has done just that.
  2. The storyline runs in perfect harmony with the action and acts as a conduit not a stopgap, or a padding device. Each gaming element compliments the next and the entire presentation is nothing short of, well…dare we say it…revolutionary.
  3. PC Gamer
    This is The Big One, and it's even better than we could've hoped. [Jan 1999, p.166]